

ICANN

Moderator: Maryam Bakoshi
November 15, 2017
9:00 am CT

Coordinator: Recordings are started.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the NPOC Excomm call on Wednesday 15 November, 2017 at 1500 UTC. On the call today, we have Gangadhar Panday, Joan Kerr, Raoul Plommer, Sam Lanfranco, Juan Manuel Rojas, and from staff we have myself, Maryam Bakoshi.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you, Joan.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. Welcome everyone. Thank you for joining us. This is a makeup meeting from last week. Sorry about that. That's probably my fault for not sending out the agenda and for scheduling it. So we will discuss the next meeting due to our travels in December at the end of this call.

So we have an agenda, but in addition to the agenda, I also thought we should talk about the financials. And I had updated it and didn't send it. So Sam's on

the call for that. So let' start then with any reflections or observations from Abu Dhabi that Juan, Maryam and Raoul had that we should be looking into, other than the Red Cross. We'll discuss that in a minute.

Was there anything that was sort of in our face that we needed to address that we really have not even have on the radar that anybody observed, other than our regular stuff, which is the policy comments and stuff like that. Anyone? No, we were good? All right.

Okay. So while we were in Abu Dhabi, Carlos brought up the issue of the Red Cross and re-engaging them. And he is in the GNSO and obviously have been very supportive of NPOC. And I know, Sam you have a lot of background with the Red Cross as well.

So we were in discussion on how we can re-engage them, and I guess we have to look at from a resource, what benefits it would bring to us, if any and why would they consider even re-engaging with NPOC. I guess that would be my issue. Any thoughts on that? Anyone?

Sam Lanfranco: Sam here. Can you hear me?

Joan Kerr: Yes, Sam and I'll mute so that you can speak. Go ahead.

Sam Lanfranco: Okay. Yes. I've been following the Red Cross (Unintelligible) and I don't know how we can engage them because they basically see themselves operating at the very highest level. I think that (unintelligible) like to participate. They'd like to just run directly with the board, but we don't have the ICANN structure for that. So in terms of the national office, of the global office, I'm not sure how to engage them because that's the question (unintelligible) with their local offices when we have other issues that are

closer to what we can work on. (unintelligible) basically trying to protect their intellectual property against being scammed. That's the bottom line for them.

Joan Kerr: Sam, we can't hear you.

Raoul Plommer: You're speaking too close to the mic.

Sam Lanfranco: (unintelligible) have some idea of how we can approach (unintelligible) sustain the discussion.

Joan Kerr: Sam, unfortunately we couldn't hear you. The audio was coming in really, really poorly.

Sam Lanfranco: Okay. Let me change to something else. Just a second.

Joan Kerr: Okay. If you want me to dial you in, we can do that. Okay. While he's getting to another - did he want you to dial out, Maryam? Hello?

Maryam Bakoshi: No. So I'm just waiting for Sam to confirm if he wants to dial up.

Joan Kerr: Okay. Any other discussions while we're waiting for Sam then?

Raoul Plommer: Yes. Well. Okay, Raoul Plommer. I was speaking in the NCUC Skype chat about the Red Cross issue because it was asked in Twitter ask me anything session of the NCUC that Rafik was doing. And it was brought up that what's Red Cross like how should they be connected to the DNS.

And yes, it gives us a good point. There was a youth also taking part in the discussion at Skype channel and he was kind of interested in this subject. So I

think that to be helpful, if he's intrigued to connect us, because they're - at the moment Red Cross is in the GAC.

So we'd have to have contact with them and ask for - we were also told to contact Avri and Dave and Milton about the Red Cross, what was the history of it. And with that background information, it's easier for us and Carlos to approach Red Cross, maybe a service in Geneva in one month. But yes, that's something I know about this.

Joan Kerr: Hi. It's Joan for the record. I'm thinking that what we need to do is one makes the decision about engaging them, but I think we should have a plan on what it is that we want. And I think maybe December might be a little bit too early for us to do that.

We need to know the history and have a solid understanding what happened and why they would come back and maybe have a value proposition for them to come back. But I think we have to think very thoroughly.

And so I was thinking that we - Carlos asked for some support to go to Geneva, but I'm thinking that maybe we take some time and really count this out, because you know when you're going to an organization and you don't have a (perfect) understanding of what the problem is or was and why they want to be engaged, then you're going to lose that opportunity and they could be a very good ally.

But the fact, if they don't agree to come back, it shouldn't be based on that we didn't prepare very well. And for me anyway, I find that I'm not well prepared in ICANN as a whole. So this is what I'm good at is preparing. And, you know, how does everybody feel about that?

So the question is, do we spend some time? So Sam has his hand up. So go ahead, Sam and if you could just be wary of the - speaking too close to the microphone. Go ahead please.

Sam Lanfranco: I've been share equipment. I'm moving things around. Is that better? Can you hear me? Okay, I can raise it up or down if I get advice. Okay, yes. I think we need to find somebody inside the administration that we can start a dialogue with, because at every step of the way, the main concern has been how to present scammers from scamming the name and benefiting through raising money at their expense.

Basically that's why we get to second level domain names, you know, get into areas where it's highly (unintelligible) within the larger thing. So unless we can find someone to talk to in there, if we go back over the history, it's just them basically that one point, that they're trying to protect themselves. Unless the other ways that we can engage them in the wider issues that NPOC is concerned with.

But we may have to do that at the country level rather than at the master level. And let me ask, there may be a relationship between the country and the national database similar to the problems inside ISOC, we don't know. But we do need - we need to have some inside information to see what the common ground might be. That's my view.

Joan Kerr: Yes. I absolutely agree that we need to take that (unintelligible), do you know anyone by the way, first of all? That's the first question that we could contact.

Sam Lanfranco: I don't, but I mean Carlos has been (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Did we lose Sam?

Sam Lanfranco: No. (Unintelligible) I don't know what's going on here. I'm transmitting. Hello?

Raoul Plommer: Yes. We can hear you.

Sam Lanfranco: You can hear me, okay. If Carlos has any ideas, given the people that he's dealt with, if anybody ask him if there's a sympathetic ear there.

Joan Kerr: Can you hear me okay?

Raoul Plommer: Yes.

Joan Kerr: It's Joan. Okay. Yes. I put it down as a question for him, if he had a contract that we could start with, at least on an informal basis, if we could start to have that dialogue. And I think that's what he was proposing is the informal dialogue in the first place and then go forward from that. So I could put that down as something for me to do as a first step in any case.

So excellent. I will do that then. Go ahead. Were you going to say something, Sam?

Sam Lanfranco: No. Yes. I will see if I can find a contact as well, but I don't have any - there's nobody higher in my list at the moment. It's been a long time since I dealt with them.

Joan Kerr: Yes. Why don't we start with Carlos and maybe that you guys can work together after I speak with him. How is that?

Sam Lanfranco: Good to me.

Joan Kerr: All right. Yes. Okay. So that's the action from that. Any other questions or anything regarding number one, the Red Cross issue? We have an action. So let's continue on with number two, which is the travels. So I've got three. I only have two on the agenda, which is IGF in LA. But we also have ICANN61.

Are there any travel plan issues that we have to deal with for IGF for LA at the moment?

Sam Lanfranco: Sam here. I will be at IGF. I will be in LA.

Joan Kerr: Right. But you will be in LA? Right. Okay. So all is good for those who are on the list. Oh, that's wonderful. And I - maybe we can discuss - sorry, somebody's hand is up? I heard - could I?

Sam Lanfranco: Yes. It's Sam again. Just to remind everybody that the LA intercessional is supposed to be about discussing things with our colleagues say that the ICANN meetings should follow and the working groups work better so that if you have ideas about things you wanted someone to say, but ask our colleagues or ask ICANN itself. So (unintelligible) on how to do things better.

Joan Kerr: So we had a call yesterday. Yesterday? Yes, on a possible program. Maybe what I will do is put you on the list for joining that in two weeks as well. And the program is to be sent out by Benedetta. So I'll forward it to you and put you on the list as well. So there is a preliminary program ongoing already. So I'll send that to you. So all right.

So what they're looking for from that meeting was from the program, and it's a draft program but it doesn't seem to be any references or any disagreements with it so far. There were a couple of additions that were suggested. So I'm sure those are going to be incorporated.

And so typically what they're going to do is have co-chair sessions, one from business and one from our side. And the one that I'm interested in is the community engagement and outreach session because that's what I know and I don't have time to research the other ones. So we should look at what our particular interests are.

And the business constituency is in their actions at the moment. So we want to know who will be the counterpart until that process is finished. So that's the update for that. Any questions regarding that? No hands up.

Raoul Plommer: It's Raoul.

Joan Kerr: Networking and printed material.

Raoul Plommer: Can I say something?

Joan Kerr: Yes. Okay. Go ahead. I didn't see your hand up. Sorry.

Raoul Plommer: Yes. Sorry. We forget to do that. But I think the - at least the business constituency doesn't seem much value to outreach discussions in the intercessional. I think that's the message I got pretty much. And some of the people from the NCUC too.

So then I guess the topics of the intercessional is still being discussed and

once they're determined, we can choose which are the best ones for us to co-chair if we want to do one. I think there's some talk of like three or four co-chairs decided. So maybe one is for NPOC.

Joan Kerr: Okay, so - yes, sorry. I see your hand up, Sam. I'll get back to. So, yes?

Sam Lanfranco: This is Sam.

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Okay. Sam had his hand up first. Yes, Juan, hold on. Sam's hand was up first.

Juan Manuel Rojas: I have no Adobe, right?

Joan Kerr: And then I'll go to you next, okay?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Okay.

Joan Kerr: Okay, but I'll go to you next after Sam. Go ahead, Sam.

Sam Lanfranco: Okay. On the outreach, the last time there was a new session in Los Angeles, when I was at the - the outreach consisted mainly of having a meal with people from the (unintelligible) research group, some academics. And it was pleasant, but the level of academic interest in ICANN as a multi-stakeholder organization is pretty low. Most of the attention would be placed elsewhere.

Someone has to be with some skepticism about how multi stakeholder ICANN is, which is a problem we struggle with. But if I had to be cryptic and

these are my friends who then - part of the reason we're even proposing an outreach activity there is to justify part of the budget for outreach inside ICANN. Whether they'll make something happen I'm highly skeptical, but I will go with the flow on that one.

Joan Kerr: I think as Raoul said it, it was up for debate and discussion. So Juan, go ahead please.

Joan Kerr: Thank you. This is Juan for the record. Yes. I think that can we - a good thing that us as an NPOC we have co-chairing any session, any slot from the program, from the schedule, from intercessional. And also I think it would be good to propose that maybe sessions for each consistency as they already said in yesterday's call for - because I think that maybe we need to gathering together in the intercessional consistency.

So I know that there is no time now for to propose that because there is - it cause a scheduling debating. But I think that we have to take in mind. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Yes. So I do propose it though, because one of the extra or additional topics that came up was transparency and how we're going to do them. I think there's lots of interest in that. So maybe when Benedetta sends out the draft program, we can look at it and see where we can sit and best make input on that.

But how they did it last time was that each of the sessions were co-chaired by both parts of the house. So the non-contracted party house. So I think that they're going to follow that same schedule. So that's what I think. All right. So let's just go to some particular - so I think we have to wait for the draft agenda to come.

So we have a new logo, as everybody knows. Yay. I'm happy to hear that 21 people participate. So now the next step is to get some printed material that we can maybe - 23. Wow. 23 people participated. Fantastic. Wow. So now we need to then start to use that logo. And Raoul and I actually met with Adam in - and Maryam as well in Abu Dhabi, and I think Juan was there as well. No, he was at session.

Anyway, he told us that comms can help us with a lot of the design work, but not necessarily the content. But I think we have a lot of content that we can provide, but we should - yes, comms design those also, Sam. And maybe if we can - Maryam, is there time to still get printed material for IGF in - for December? Do you know?

Maryam Bakoshi: So I'm going to ask real quick because Natalie was asking. So Natalie is the lady for comms. She was asking me if it was for ICANN61 and I said yes to that. So I'm not - well, when - I'll ask her. We're in November already. I doubt it. I really doubt it. Yes. and then I also asked her yesterday ...

Joan Kerr: Okay. Well, Anyway and ...

Maryam Bakoshi: Hello?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Hello. Joan ...

Maryam Bakoshi: It's Maryam here. Can you hear me?

Joan Kerr: Yes. Sorry. Lastly for a sec.

Maryam Bakoshi: Okay. Juan, do you want to speak?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes. I just wanted to speak something.

Maryam Bakoshi: I was trying to explain - okay, let me just explain real quick.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes. Go ahead.

Joan Kerr: Go ahead.

Maryam Bakoshi: Okay. So yesterday I asked Natalie to produce a three time Facebook banner with the logo and incorporating some of the design elements into the background as well. So they will get that done for us ASAP. But any other material design and stuff, we need to let them know exactly what we want and then they'll get that done in time for ICANN61.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So for ICANN61, not IGF?

Maryam Bakoshi: No, not IGF. ICANN61.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So we'll have to use the old - okay. Well, thanks for that then. All right. Juan, go ahead please.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes. I was - Joan, I just want to say that maybe we could use the ready material that exists already, have already the content there. And maybe we can just stretch the old ones, the old ones recall. And I'm going design - if person design of new materials from the new logo and even in the website. And I'm using these materials to spread it out.

I can design something easy like a flyer or something like that from the new

logo at least will be ready for, maybe for intercessional, not printed but maybe the design for intercessional if you want. So that's it for now.

Joan Kerr: Yes. So I'm going to say that - suggest that we should concentrate on ICANN61. And when we're at the intercessional meeting, that gives us a chance to actually talk about content. What date is the ICANN61? I meant to look that up. So by then we should have ...

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes. March 10 to 15.

Joan Kerr: I have March.

Maryam Bakoshi: March 10 to 15.

Joan Kerr: March 10. Okay. All right. So yes. I don't think we really need it for the intercessional because it's just ICANN people that's there, but anyway. So let's work on that. So Juan, can I put you in charge of overseeing - so you can work with us, but overseeing the material to put together for ICANN61?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes. I can do it. And also maybe a triple or a beginner's guide. I don't know. Using also material from a body that already exist and (unintelligible) material specifically.

Joan Kerr: Right. Okay, great. All right. Maryam, your hand is up. Is that an old hand?

Maryam Bakoshi: Sorry. That's an old hand. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Okay. All right. Any other questions? So we look forward to having that plan then and do put it on the journal. Let's - I'm going to stress that we try to use Trello as much as possible. So it's a great way to see what's happening in

NPOC as well. So let's - can you bring the agenda up a little bit for me please, Maryam? Or down, whichever way you want to look at it.

All right. So let's go to reports. The first thing I want to say is that our actual representation actually started in Abu Dhabi as most of you know. So I know that, you know, we've been doing the work for a while, but I just wanted to be clear that our actual positions start started in Abu Dhabi.

So I personally want to say thank you to all of you, all of us that just sort of stepped in and it really just worked at it and has brought us a pretty - I think a pretty exciting journey for NPOC. So congratulations for winning. So I know it sounds sort of funny, but here we are.

So in terms of what I would have normally done is ask all chairs to sort of do a plan of how they see their roles and what they want to do, which would be the first meeting, would be this meeting. But we've been doing that job for a while. So I'm still going to ask, if everyone can put together a plan and put it on Trello so that all of us can actually add to it and look at it.

And what I'm going to do as my role is to look at it in terms of the roles and responsibility of each chair and what they've done from one meeting to the next. One, against their plan and two, actions that would be agreed to on the calls. That's basically our way forward.

And we've been talking about this quite a bit. And then this way we can see what's being done, where are the loopholes that needs to be filled, engage some of the other members when we've defined it. Okay, what do we do? How do we do it? But, you know, to be consistent on what our roles are and that we are actually doing them.

So for (Olivier) we created a role for him for tracking the actions on scribe. And I've asked him to put it on a huddle so everyone can see what - one, what they committed to and two was it done and if it wasn't done what was needed to get it done because it gets lost in all of the activities that happens and that's exactly what we don't want to have happen.

So the only other person that I can see I needed to help is (Ganga) who asked me to help him with a membership strategy. And I was going to send him the one I had written but I didn't because that actually had changed because a lot of that responsibility actually went to the NCSG the process as opposed to us getting an application sending it to NCSG and then, you know, so we don't have that anymore. So I will put it as an action for me to work with (Ganga) to get the plan so that's the only person that I can see that has an excuse right now because he did ask me to help him.

In terms of being a chair I'm not on any working groups but I except for the SO AC which I am supposed to be on so I go on that one. I did try to join the proceeds but the arguments were so circular and I don't have time for, you know, discussing if something should be or shouldn't be. I want to be discussing what is the purpose of something. And so I tend not to want to be involved in being something just for the sake of being involved.

But that - how does that sound to everyone? Having a plan and putting it on Trello so that we can start to trace it for the next year? That's the question.

(Rob Farmer): Yes sounds good. And...

Joan Kerr: Everybody's good with it?

(Rob Farmer): Yes we can show that to other members as well. And I still have to do - it's (Rob Farmer) for the record. I still have to do the integration with our Web site that's being lacking a little quite a lot of backlog since coming back from Abu Dhabi and I'm just starting to...

Joan Kerr: Yes.

(Rob Farmer): ...be back on level with that again. So and I guess you guys have been feeling pretty much the same so...

Joan Kerr: Yes.

(Rob Farmer): ...yes I will integrate the Trello and then we can - it would be good if everyone started using that so then we can actually - then it becomes useful. It's not useful before that everyone starts using it.

Joan Kerr: Exactly. And I've put some responsibilities that I see from my point of view on it yesterday so that would be my goal too and what needs to be done. So if everyone else does it I think it makes it easy because the emails you have to sift through the answers and, you know, it becomes really almost a job. So all right so if - does anyone have any reports that they would like to have at this point? Not Sam will get to Sam in a sec? No? So we'll agree to have at least a draft plan from everyone for the next meeting and placed on Trello so that we can have that and discuss it at the next meeting.

Sounds good? So Sam let's go to the financial update. Before that, before we go to Sam I did ask Maryam if he - if she could contact (Rudy). Were you able to do that Maryam from the last meeting?

Maryam Bakoshi: No Joan I haven't done that yet. I was waiting for this meeting...

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Maryam Bakoshi: ...because I thought yes, so I just wanted to hear first before I...

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Maryam Bakoshi: ...just wanted to hear first before I contacted them yes.

Joan Kerr: Okay all right. Sam I have not gone to the bank account online. So could you give us an update on what's happening if anything and if not what will you be doing?

Sam Lanfranco: Okay. I haven't gone to it because I had to store some of my documents for a while. I'm trying to, you know, settle out some financial difficulties with respect to a bad marriage. That should be behind me by the end of the month. I will still be living at the farm instead of in a park which is good news. So I would based on everything that happened we sent in the correct information months ago so we need some feedback from him. I don't know of anybody who has heard from him for months.

Joan Kerr: Okay so the next segment is - so Maryam is going to follow-up with it and then let us know and then from what her response will be then we'll follow up. And the next question is have you gotten paid by ICANN for the \$600?

Sam Lanfranco: I haven't and I've been working on other stuff so I haven't been able to get back in. They need a different kind of invoice from me than the one that I had which was what I, you know, from the people that I have paid. And it needs to be my invoice to them so I've had to work with bigger problems for the last little while but that's on my list.

Joan Kerr: Okay. I mean it really has nothing to do with us but I would like to see you at least get that resolved, that the whole thing is gets dealt with and go away...

Sam Lanfranco: Yes.

Joan Kerr: So that we can additional, you know. So if you could do that, you know, that would be great. All right...

Sam Lanfranco: I'll have that done by the intersessional.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. All right thank you. We talked about promotional material so let's just go to some of the work that we've been doing. The charter we'll let (Raul) talk about that in a second. But I just want to say that it's coming along really well. And it's such a good - it's going to be such a good document that when we're done. I'm actually quite proud of it. I'm actually having an understanding of how it works so it's a really good document I think.

So (Raul) Juan, Maryam and myself really, really worked a lot of hours and went through we - we're going through almost every sentence and checking back and forth. And Raoul did you want to talk a little bit about the process and our next step as well?

Raoul Plommer: Yes Raoul for the record. Yes I think we made great progress also making the mission even a little clearer. There was some repetition between the different sections in the beginning and I think we did really well there and discussed a lot of the issues that are revolve around our charter review and what the consequences of those changes will be.

But I think we're still on good track of accomplishing that. So next steps I think we just need to work on or check the - read through it one more time. Now we've done it till I think 2.5 or something. So we just need to read it from there on and it'd be helpful just to make your comments about the different sections as they are. There it really helps if everyone reads a bit of the charter and tries to think if it's really useful and make comments on the document. Thanks.

Joan Kerr: So one of the - thank you Raoul. So Joan for the record. So one of the issues that came up was the individual membership. It seems in retrospect it may not be a good strategy for us to pursue but we did find the additional contacts that we can work through for subject matter experts. I think that might be the way that we should go and take up individual membership. What does everybody think?

Raoul Plommer: Yes. I totally agree with that. And we did find a way like these additional contacts that can be helping us with the work of NPOC and that doesn't like sort of shun them out of for example travel funding if they do a great job on policy for example.

Joan Kerr: Right. So my first thing would be that we remove any references to individual membership right away because it does make us more like NCSG and I think that's probably a bad thing. And going back to what NPOC was chartered to do. Sam you have your hand up. Go ahead please.

Sam Lanfranco: Yes I think I agree that the membership thing should be removed. I had been arguing against that from the beginning. If you have another category that we're going to stick there that brings in, you know, subject matter experts or whatever it sounds (unintelligible) to me. And we do need a little side dialogue with NCUC so that we don't table something that just causes them to

get angry because they think they're being blindsided. We don't want them to be - they clearly get upset if we just had individual membership since that their strength. Content experts although, you know, most of them are over there now as it is. So we - I would like to put on the table the idea that there should be a dialogue around this particularly sensitive area we get in dialogue with them.

Joan Kerr: Yes that's an excellent suggestion. We definitely should do that but we will remove it so that there will be no issues around that so yes I agree. Okay I think Raoul talked about the tracking of the work of the EC on Trello. The next was establishing our policy priorities. We sort of talked about that and agreed on them already but we need a monthly or something that illustrates what - actually what I will do is work with Poncelet and show him an example of ICANN does it very well. It just sends an email in a box and it has all of the new information. David Olive sends it out.

I think it's an excellent example of what Poncelet could be doing of highlighting the policies that we need to comment on just so that we can go - just click on it and go to it. I think that's what he needs to do. So I going to put that down that I'm going to work with him with that. So our next is working group (unintelligible)...

Juan Manuel Rojas: Joan?

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Yes?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Joan, Juan here.

Joan Kerr: Yes go ahead.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Before the...

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Yes go ahead.

Juan Manuel Rojas: (Unintelligible) okay. Yes now in policy we have something several talking comments. We have a diversity comment to (unintelligible) comments. We have an ombudsman office it's also open. And we have (unintelligible) then we have open to comment. I did some approach on diversity to discuss with all of us between us and I think that we are available to maybe to release our comment or maybe we need NCSG comment on this topic. Is just one of the three topics that recently opened and discussion in policy committee from NCSG. Thank you

Joan Kerr: Great Juan, thank you. So I know that you're involved with that and we'll get to - I know Raoul is involved with RDS as well. We'll get him to comment on that. We've got Sam is that a hand up or is that an old hand?

Sam Lanfranco: Yes it's a hand up.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Sam Lanfranco: It would be nice if they can put together a kind of play card where as these things come up we chase each other down so (unintelligible) asking them to cover this right and that somebody said that. I've been involved in the IDS in the special groups that spun out of that.

I've been commenting on the NCSG documents and so forth that are (unintelligible) on accountability and on diversity and so forth. There's so many bases there that you really need to do some (downplay) here, you know, who really designated people to cover something and then having them report back. Just asking us all to do it...

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Sam Lanfranco: ...starts to (unintelligible) thing.

Joan Kerr: Yes. I agree. That's exactly trying to do is organize so that things get done. Even if it's just one comment it's a comment right? So yes play card, explain to me what you mean by play card?

Sam Lanfranco: Well it's more like a basketball team. People have zone to cover and then you have...

Joan Kerr: Oh, okay.

Sam Lanfranco: ...you know...

Joan Kerr: Okay got it. Okay...

Sam Lanfranco: So it's (unintelligible). You know, everybody doesn't have (unintelligible) in ice hockey.

Joan Kerr: Yes. It's funny I'm an artist right? So I'm thinking about a car that, you know, we see names on it and whose commenting so okay I've got it. All right. So Raoul would you like to see talk about RDS a bit?

Raoul Plommer: I've not really that much to report from it. I think our sub working groups report was due day before yesterday and they're going to present it to the larger working group soonish. That's really all I know. I'm sorry but I have not had time to invest in that too much since we came back.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. Sam your hand's up go ahead.

Sam Lanfranco: Just to bring people up to date on the RDS Working Group. It broke out into six - got six scenario working groups that were given a particular piece of the purposes and that could be collected what are the purposes (unintelligible). And they (unintelligible) these groups who worked on it in addition to main meetings and had them reporting back in the past week or so. And then that will be merged into the overall work. It's a very substantial amount of work and it is moving painfully slow.

Yes. Sounds like fun. Great all right I think we're good so far. I wanted to ask how NCSG ExCom is coming. Is everything functioning okay? (Ganga) maybe you could give us some insight on your participation and what you need? We have a new chair so if there's anything that you need or see that you need that we can help you with in terms of membership information?

Okay so he's typing. All right. All right so everything seems okay all right. Well that makes it easy. Okay any business arising then? Sam go ahead.

Sam Lanfranco: Thank you Joan, Sam for the record here. The one issue everybody might want to look at is the discussion taking place around the proposed ICANN budget going forward and in particular how much money should be set aside in a reserve fund? Just quickly to cut on this almost everybody expects ICANN to be shrinking as we go forward in terms of its budget basically because the - it collects (unintelligible) a tax on every domain name that gets

registered and a lot of names gTLD probably have expired as a gTLD. They're not just generating enough people.

But there's some sense that ICANN has reached its and saturation point in terms of generating more revenue that way. Also the governance issues are getting more complicated so there's a feeling that ICANN should have more funds set aside to deal with contingency which may include everything from losses to the collapse of a revenue source or just hiring lawyers so that there aren't lawsuits with respect to personal data regimes and all of that.

So ICANN's reserve fund for emergencies is shrinking down. It's I think it's only four or five months now. Usually something like the should be a year and some people are arguing that it should be longer. So that's the issue is what kind of reserve fund should be there?

And the other of course is there are people inside within ICANN who are thinking gee, that auction proceeds that's a 1/4 of a billion dollars. Maybe we should put some of that into the reserve fund for the operational expenses of ICANN whereas as most people had been hoping that those reserve funds could be used for innovative ICANN our groups stuff that helps, you know, underserved communities or whatever that, that is being seen as a bundle of funds that ICANN is coveting at the moment, and some of ICANN is coveting internally. So I think it would be good for as many of us as possible to get into that discussion about the budget because it's not just are we spending too much or too little but it's (unintelligible) is a highly uncertain future. And one way it's liable to result in carving out a chunk of those auction funds. And there won't be a lot of new auction funds probably because a lot of the people who get stuck with the positions learned in the last round that they invested in losing horse.

Joan Kerr: Yes. Great. Thanks Sam. I agree the - on the auction funds the discussions around, you know, money is going to ICANN and for reserve funds and all that kind of stuff. It seems like bad business planning to me but anyway. So business arriving, just a quick thing we talked about Abu Dhabi before but I just noticed in the chart Raoul 60 people were at our outreach events. And so too we noticed a number of things.

One, we were ill-prepared for a presentation. So what we've decided is that we will have a template with just an overview of what put together a toolkit so anyone at any time can access that toolkit and do a presentation if we're caught in that situation. So that's on the to do list as well that we prepare a presentation toolkit that anyone can use at anytime so that we won't be caught into that situation ever again.

However it was I think quite successful it was impromptu interactive and we have a lot of really, really positive comments coming from that event. We also have people who said that they will run (unintelligible). I actually will take that on myself to contact them. A number of them have contacted me but my joan@npoc.org does not work. So I will have to do it through my SBSC for now until we have that resolved. But I will get people to respond and put that database together. I'm not a fan of the fellow but we'll see what happens. And now that they're getting involved with us I think it's a good thing but before they weren't so we'll give them a chance anyway.

So I think that's - we've touched on the Web site financial, the outreach, the travel. Anything else that anyone - I see that we should be addressing the tracking (unintelligible). Maryam...

Sam Lanfranco: Joan?

Joan Kerr: That's one thing that's on the list for you to do is to track the actions of our meetings. If you could put those on the Trello as well that would be fantastic. And I think that's it for me.

Sam Lanfranco: I have a question.

Joan Kerr: If anyone has anything else?

Sam Lanfranco: Can you hear me? I guess I got lost.

Joan Kerr: Sam you have your hand up? Yes go ahead.

Sam Lanfranco: Okay. Can you hear me? It's breaking up.

Joan Kerr: Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Sam Lanfranco: I will type it. Okay now I have something for - 61 is in Puerto Rico right, ICANN 61?

Joan Kerr: That's correct.

Man: Yes it's in Puerto Rico.

Sam Lanfranco: Okay. Is there anything else we should be sensitive to in terms of the, you know, the not for profit sector there and how the (unintelligible) have impacted them and the role of...

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Sam Lanfranco: ...Web sites and is there anything in the DNS any interception there that would love, you know, talking to them in advance to have a little dialogue with them when we got there? It would be less of an outreach of the...

Joan Kerr: Right.

Sam Lanfranco: ...traditional sort but it might be worth a discussion.

Joan Kerr: Right. Okay so in that vein I spoke with - they just came out from our meeting with Adam Peak. He - I contacted Eduardo Diaz and (Alfredo) and they're going to be working with NPOC to give us contacts for organizations in Puerto Rico. And I had some other contacts but those are our main contacts right now to outreach to the local organizations in Puerto Rico. So yes we started that process already. And I think that's it if there are no other questions. All right so just to wrap up please if everyone could do at least a draft plan for their positions or roles and responsibility, put it on Trello and let's really concentrate on getting things done and really, really start this policy comment process.

I think that we're really as far as I can are a zero so it's only - the only way to go is up which is also kind of exciting. So if - for our next meeting which would be typically on the second Wednesdays of the month what do we want to do? I think we're to be leaving for RGF - I'm leaving on the 14th if you can believe that. So that would make it, our meeting would typically be on the 13th. So we can still - is that okay with everyone 13th of December to have our next meeting? Yes?

Sam Lanfranco: Yes. That seems good.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. Yes all right so our next scheduled meeting Maryam will be December 13 at 10:00 AM. Okay all right if there's nothing else I'd like to call this meeting to a close and thank you all for joining and (Tim) for promising. I'm so excited. Thank you all.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much. (Unintelligible) this conference call (un). Thank you everyone for attending the call. Bye.

Sam Lanfranco: Thank you.

Man: Bye.

END