

**ICANN**

**Moderator: Maryam Bakoshi**  
**September 13, 2017**  
**8:00 am CT**

Maryam Bakoshi: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the NPOC ExCom call on Tuesday 13th of September 2017. On the call today we have Joan Kerr, Poncelet Ileleji, Raoul Plommer. Apologies from (unintelligible). From staff you have myself, Maryam Bakoshi.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you, Joan.

Joan Kerr: Thank you, Maryam, and good morning everyone. And there are no new people so there are no introductions. Sorry we didn't have a meeting in August but it's been a crazy summer. But as everyone realizes, we sent out - Maryam sent out a doodle and we, in principle anyway, agree on the second Wednesday of every month unless there's an issue which we can all agree on changing. So for the record, the second Wednesday (unintelligible) have our EC meetings. So that can actually go on the website as well so that our members know.

So we have a packed agenda. Are there any changes, additions to the agenda first of all? And there's no PDF on Skype. I will endeavor to send it by e-mail after today.

All right let's get to the second item and talk about ICANN 60. Are there any issues with their travel plans, booking that anyone has? No? I don't either. So everything is set. All right so let's - we do have two meetings at the ICANN 60, which are constituency day and EC. Those are scheduled. We do have a booked room and time. So we'll have to make sure that we develop something to promote those.

The next thing is the - an outreach meeting, which we had kind of discussed before. So let's have some discussions around having an outreach session. And before I do that, Maryam, is a room still available for us to have an outreach session or do we have to request it again?

Maryam Bakoshi: No, I have already requested it, so that's fine. It's available for three hours.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So I believe what I saw was the Saturday at 9 am.

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes that's correct, 9 to 12.

Joan Kerr: I don't know when everyone gets in. I get in at 10:55. Great. So do we want (unintelligible) on the call - is Ganga on the phone?

Maryam Bakoshi: We're dialing Ganga in now.

Joan Kerr: So what does everyone feel about (unintelligible) - okay. Can you hear Ganga?

Maryam Bakoshi: Ganga isn't on the call yet. He's being connected.

Joan Kerr: Oh okay. All right. Well does - do we want to have an outreach meeting? That's the question, first of all, before we plan it. It is September 17th and that schedule is for October 27th, right? Let's look at that date. There's too many meetings. So it was scheduled for the 28th, sorry. (Unintelligible) five weeks to promote it. And does everyone have - I mean I know that Poncelet sent a link but does everyone know an organization that we can go for it?

I mean I think that's the best way to have an event. That's what we did for India is we found a regional organization and worked with them because people already know them. I mean that's the way not-for-profit's work. Any - no hands up? Yes?

Raoul Plommer: Yes. I think we could maybe try to have an outreach event like we were going to have for Iceland when I was organizing it, and that was basically getting a restaurant and going there and basically have the event there as opposed to the conference site. Do you think that would be doable even with this short timeline? The thing is we just need to be able to ask for money from the GSE.

Maryam Bakoshi: This is Maryam here. Joan?

Joan Kerr: Yes, go ahead.

Maryam Bakoshi: Joan, I've got my hand up. Okay sorry. (Unintelligible) to ask for funding from GSE is - I think it's pushing it a bit, from experience. And there is nothing - is there any reason why we can't have it in the ICANN conference center? There's a room available there already so we don't have to, you know, pay for that. Yes, I'm not sure why Raoul wants to have it outside the conference center.

Joan Kerr: I think it's just a suggestion, not that he wants it, just a suggestion as an option. That's what you meant, right Raoul?

Raoul Plommer: It basically depends on how many people do we get there. Because if we're thinking it's less than ten, it might make sense to have it in a restaurant and add like more incentive for interested people to come. Whereas if it's more than ten people, then we should have it in a conference space because obviously it will be expensive.

Joan Kerr: In a restaurant though they can pay for themselves, right? There's that.

Raoul Plommer: Yes they can do it. Like a - I think that was something that we were trying to arrange for Iceland that ICANN would basically pick up the restaurant bill as long as it wasn't like too big, you know? I think we were talking something like between 10 and 15 people, and that was going to be fine before (Pathfinder) was mixed in it.

Joan Kerr: Right. So yes that's an option. We do have the room. Now, Maryam, as I remember correctly, the room is booked for 9:30 in the morning? So it would be a morning meeting.

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes I'm just going to share the schedule with you in a minute, but Poncelet has his hand up.

Joan Kerr: Yes, go ahead, Poncelet.

Poncelet Ileleji: Thank you. Good afternoon all. I just wanted to say about the restaurant stuff. The restaurant stuff in Abu Dhabi is restricted to the conference center because, one, (unintelligible) are very welcoming and everything. I think we

are dealing with NGOs from the United Arab Emirates. We should just stick to the venue of the conference. I've worked with different organizations there and I know they are.

I spent quite some time (unintelligible) in 2012 working with civil society there so I know how they are. So I think I would just advise that anything we are planning with civil society there we just stick to the conference venue. We also have to know that in the UAE they are not as open as we think they are with themselves and the Internet and all those things, so we have to be - we have to (unintelligible) and the conference venue.

The second thing I would like to add is that just like what happened in India, I did the reach out to the organization in India because some of their members were part of the (unintelligible) of which I'm an individual member of them. I think I will rather, because we don't have time on our side, I want to ask for permission if I can initiate that to start to discuss with NGOs in the UAE about our outreach program for ICANN 60. So those are my two comments. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Thank you, Poncelet. Yes for India that was a very successful meeting, so if everyone's okay with Poncelet - thank you for the offer and I personally accept it if you would like to go ahead. Having the person that is a friendly person to do the initial contacts is always to me the premium way to go. So if there are no actions, we'd like to give you permission to do so. Great, Poncelet. Thank you.

So then the next thing to that is, Raoul, Adam would like to speak to us about our outreach. So we'll have to discuss a time when you and I can speak to him as well. So, Poncelet, do you have an idea - can you give us some timelines

when you would maybe have a response or can you say by next week Tuesday?

Poncelet Ileleji: I would say Friday, because I'm on vacation in the UK. I'm on vacation in London. So I will - I'll take my time in doing stuff when I'm on vacation. So give me till next week Friday, please, and then I'll get back to you because I get home on - I get home - I depart next week Monday so by Friday I will sort it out, next week Friday. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: That's great because I'm away next week as well. So Friday will be great. I'm back on Thursday, so. All right. Thank you so much. That's great. So that's on track then. And we're deciding to have it at the venue, at the venue booked, and then we can go from there for the planning. Wonderful.

Next. Any other questions, issues regarding that? No? No hands up. NCSG. There's also - it's not scheduled yet but we're discussing, and I think that should be part of my chair report, there's a discussion that perhaps there's a number of meetings in NCSG and a - maybe a webinar -- I guess I go right into my chair thing -- that we have to keep abreast of as well that we'll have to go to. Those are I don't think have been scheduled yet. So I'll let you know as soon as I know so that you can put it in your schedule.

So number three are reports. I'll just - since I started that I may as well just continue. So there was a request from the security -- SSR they call it -- for review assent, a response that they - the team can present at our constituency day meeting, and they'll get back to us on the time - on their time, obviously. We have to be flexible with them because I guess they go to different constituencies and so we have them on the list but the time is going to be Monday, right, I believe.

And I originally joined the auction proceeds and oh my gosh it was so frustrating because it's a very narrow - this is the monies from the gTLDs, the new gTLDs and what to do it. And there were discussions what to do with it but not necessarily what the purpose was, and I spent an hour listening to the talk about, oh my gosh, the most wasted hour I ever had. So I declined and said I would be just an observer.

And I'm getting other funds for projects and I thought we may - we always need to have what the purpose of impact is before you think about what you're going to use the funds for. But they didn't listen. So I declined (unintelligible). So I'm not on that anymore. (Unintelligible) new chair for NCUC elected chair for NCSG and she reached out to me and just clarified a couple of things, as Poncelet had pointed out regarding her position on NPOC. That was fantastic of her to do that. And so I responded.

And so we're developing a pretty good working relationship. And I'm really happy that she did that because she clarified her position I guess in response to my comment, not comment, but my notes that the new chair has to be supportive to NPOC and she wanted to assure me that she was as well. So I think that was good of her and that's what people said. She is a very good person to work with. So I look forward to working with her.

There's a couple things that I think that we need to - I'm really happy about the charter right now, how it's going. Great job. Raoul took that and pasted it. Oh my gosh, so much work. We still need to look at our NCSG review. They gave us until ICANN 60 to add additional things to it, and it's not about 2017, it's actually about 2016. So we just need to look at some of those comments and try to put more into it. So we can do that probably in the next couple weeks as well. I kind of want to get more work - I want our charter to be focused on.

And I think that's it for me. Any other reports? Let's go to policy. Poncelet?

And I'll mute my mic. Poncelet?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes, Poncelet speaking for the record. Yes within policy I was say what I decided to do with policy in this our calendar year. You'll remember there were elections (unintelligible) as chair of the policy committee, I sent out an e-mail to all the new members of NPOC telling them about what's the old policy development processes is within ICANN and how the - it's important to our work.

I remember I sent out this e-mail on the 19th of July. I then e-mailed them with links within the GNSO working group so that our members can understand about the PDP. And then in my role as vice chair of policy, I recommended PDP processes then NPOC members that I felt NPOC members should be joining those working groups because they basically deal with what we are as NGOs in terms of the DNS I feel are important for us.

One was the Use of Country and Territorial Names TLDs Working Group and Rights Protection Mechanism Working Groups in relation to the generic top level domains. Then we have the protection of the IGOs and international NGOs identifiers within the gTLDs too and Privacy and Proxy Service Acquisition Issues Working Group. Lastly the Whois policy development processes. So those were recommendations I gave, and that's those working groups that we should focus on.

Okay within my work within policy, within the same period I also (unintelligible). Sorry, okay. Okay within my work I also led comments within the NCSG in my role as the lead representative for NPOC within the Policy Committee on the NCSG and I've also endorsed comments that were



worked on, going through them within the NCSG PC as required and I had a very good role and working relationship with Rafik, who has guided me a lot on these policy things over the years.

We also - I also represent NPOC as you are all aware within the SSC, that is Standing Selection Committee, and so I'm on that committee with - I'm the NPOC member there. We - within the committee we have two NCUC. Rafik has just been - just joined, even though we had only two, myself and (Renata). We have been really working well.

Right now we are working on the GAC liaison that we have to do selection. We went through the whole selection process using a pool. Within that pool, we have (Joel) that will be leaving the pool. And so other than (Joel), who's part of the SSC but he's going to recuse himself. And he recused himself just after Susan Kawaguchi did in her case. Well we had (unintelligible) on another call. So it's going really well.

We are going to be discussing after we finalize on the GAC liaison selection, which is almost done I will say, we're going to formalize or we're going to start working on the ATRT3 next week during our meeting.

So I would say for now, that's what I have to report and long time, what I'm looking forward to do in ICANN 60 (unintelligible) before ICANN 60 in Abu Dhabi (unintelligible).

Man: Hello, (unintelligible) has joined.

Poncelet Ileleji: I'm looking at the situation whereby with the new members, I hope to contact Raul and Ganga since they are involved in the NCSG Ex-Com about new members that are coming into NPOC. Yes, I see the (unintelligible) and

everything but they will have that (unintelligible) those members since they work with the membership during the membership process.

I think my outreach is to try to get some of these new members, some of them from different and geographic zones to join NPOC and to work with (unintelligible) do a sort of introduction course by Skype. That's what I want to do. I want to organize our own NPOC introduction on how to work with PDP process because sometimes telling people to go to all these links and everything does not work. So I want to engage new members. I will be emailing Ganga and Raoul sometime next week when I'm back in the (unintelligible) in work mode to do that because I think we need a team, this new NPOC, we need to be more people that would be involved in the PDP processes and also the (unintelligible) is known. So that's my plan. Thank you.

Any questions, I will take them.

Joan Kerr: Excellent, Poncelet. I have a question for you. That's a lot of work, by the way. Thank you. Are there any policies that we need to be exploring that you would recommend that we need to have some comments, at least a formal response for as a committee, and obviously as (unintelligible) but as individuals, but any policy comments that we need to do right now? Anything that you can recommend?

Poncelet Ileleji: I will wait until after the NCSG policy call and that will be on the 18th. So I will wait until after that call to see what to plug off for NPOC members to look at. I would say for (unintelligible) that is what I will do because so far, so good. Nothing has really come to mind for us to look at, but I'm sure you are aware that Farzi sent out. I don't know if any of you within best speech, I'm in the steering committee of best speech, but Farzi today has sent out a

discourse. I see he's in the organizing team for the civil society pre-IGF event on the 16th of December in Geneva.

She sent out a (unintelligible) that people should come up with comments in terms of thematic things. So I will encourage and all NPOC (unintelligible) commenters, especially you, Joan, as our chair taking the lead to apply within your own ideas what things you think would be encouraged. Because we have to be strong within IGF and I know that I will be there. You will be there. (Unintelligible) likely be there. So I think such calls on IGF that will be coming to the NCSG discuss, I would encourage a lot of us to be thinking and a good look at them. (Unintelligible) coming through order organizations like Best Speech, which as I said I'm in the steering committee of Best Speech, but we also have a lot of NCUC people there but hardly NPOC people. So it should be our advice would take a look at that.

And after the NCSG policy call on Monday, it's between 12:00 to 2:00 p.m., after I head to the airport, I will (unintelligible) you on any important policy discussions that we have to look at. That's it for now.

Joan Kerr: Great. Thank you so much. That's a lot. Any questions for Poncelet? No hands. So membership is next. Ganga, can you speak? Where is Ganga (unintelligible)? Ganga, go ahead please.

Raoul Plummer: We can't hear you.

Joan Kerr: I'm unable to hear Ganga. Can anyone else hear? Ganga, maybe un -- we cannot hear you. Ganga?

Maryam Bakoshi: Ganga, if you can hear me, I think the operator muted your line because it was causing background noise. If you can please press star six.

Gangadhar Panday: Hello?

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes, we can hear you, Ganga.

Joan Kerr: Yes, go ahead. Ganga, go ahead. While we're waiting, welcome Olevie. I saw that you joined. Thank you for joining us. Ganga, can you hear us? We can't hear you.

Gangadhar Panday: I'm having two calls from Adobe Connect. Hello.

Joan Kerr: Hi, go ahead.

Gangadhar Panday: Let's have a clear idea about what kind of people we can accept as members because I have a lot of inquiries from, in India but most of the people are not even on the net. They don't even have a website but they're interested in this thing. So I'm just confused how to handle the request.

Joan Kerr: Okay, Ganga, what I will do is I used to be membership chair. I will spend some time with you. We can schedule it and I'll write it down so that you can have it to answer those questions specifically, so that you have a clear idea. Okay? Do you have a membership report other than that or just have questions about how to handle this? Okay, so we'll move on with membership then. I'll spend some time with you. Your hand is up. Did we answer your question and do you have another question or did -- okay, thank you.

All right, next, we don't have Juan on the phone. He did apologize. Juan did apologize (unintelligible) but we do have Olevie. So Olevie, one of the things that we had talked about was tracking some of the actions that the NPOC EC had discussed on Skype. Have you started that and do you have some actions

for us that we don't have on the agenda? Olevie? Olevie is unable to speak.  
Can you hear us?

Maryam Bakoshi: Olevie, please press star six as well. Or actually Olevie's line has been disconnected. He will be back in the meeting shortly. Thank you. Joan, please you may go ahead. Olevie has been dialed back into the meeting.

Raoul Plummer: Well, I can maybe give a little update on the communication. We basically managed to -- well, we updated the website on the -- sorry, my dog or (unintelligible) dog. Our website should basically be up to date as it is now.

Joan Kerr: Did we lose Raoul?

Raoul Plummer: No, that was the end of the report. Just basically saying that the website is up to date.

Joan Kerr: Oh, okay. Great. Thank you. That's wonderful. By the way, I don't know if you saw Adam's email to you and I and he was quite pleased that the website was up. So great, thank you for that Raoul. Olevie, you're on. Could you give us a report on tracking the Skype actions for every NPOC EC, if you have started it and you have a report? And welcome, by the way, I don't know if you heard me before. Go ahead please. Is that you Olevie? Do you have a report for (unintelligible)?

Olevie Kouami: Yes, I just want to report one topic for the Best Speech, the Civil Society (unintelligible) for a lieutenant governor. My topic is about the internet shutdown, internet shutdown in our countries. My country has known an international (unintelligible) for five days last week and I wanted to propose this topic as a topic for (unintelligible) thank you.

Joan Kerr: Thank you for that Olevie, but Poncelet did ask if we have any ideas to send it to him or to respond to Farzi. What we're asking you right now is for any report you have on the Skype tracking and/or actions for the ECONOMIC on Skype. Do you have a report?

Olevie Kouami: I have (unintelligible) to furnish this kind of document every week, but I have not started now because I was in travel all the time. I'm not in the same place and lack of computer (unintelligible) tablet so it's difficult for me to realize this for the moment, but I'll start. I'll start (unintelligible) this week. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Great. That's wonderful. Thank you so much. All right, so let's go to some of the things that we've initiated in terms of our work plan. I think I -- we addressed the charter already. I think everyone is quite pleased on the progress. I've also addressed the NCSG review for ICANN 60. That will be fantastic. Raoul, perhaps, I don't know if you've been tracking the (unintelligible) and not everyone is added to it, but we do have to get in the habit of, myself included, to put what we're doing on (Trello). Has there been anything added in the last month to (Trello), Raoul? Have you looked even?

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that we get into the habit of doing it, so this is what this meeting is about is that we get into the habit of doing our reports, doing the tracking, et cetera. Did you have anything to say?

Raoul Plummer: Yes, I was wondering what kind of tracking are we talking about? Travel? I'm not sure what you mean.

Joan Kerr: Yes, when we had originally talked about having the (Trello) we were going to also put the work on the website, some of the work, to say this is what

we've done so that sort of tracking so that we saw that we were accomplishing things. So sort of (unintelligible).

Raoul Plummer: (Trello), yes. Okay, so yes, that hasn't really taken off how it should have but maybe that's a good idea. Maybe we should sort of try to get back into the habit of adding things there. Because then everybody can see that once and we can also tell each other to go and see what we did at (Trello). So yes, I think we should definitely start using that and that will save us a lot of duplicate work when we have to make reports and so on. We can just pick it and copy and paste it from there.

Joan Kerr: Great. So is everyone on (Trello) at the moment. I know I am. So if you're not, might I ask if you could send any information to everyone so that they can sign up and just (Trello) I guess, and start to add content. What we will do with the content is once we've accomplished things, it's a great way to have communications with our members. One, it's on the website. If it's something significant, like for example, Poncelet is asking for feedback on something, on policy, it's a great way to just copy it and send it out to the members so that you don't have to always ask. It's there and obviously, if it's written there, everyone can see it, approve it, and it's done. It makes it quite efficient.

So if everyone could please sign up for it if you haven't. And Maryam, you and I have to do the actions and look at (unintelligible) to make sure that everything is being done. So I'll discuss that with you at some point as well. All right, we already talked about Poncelet's response for discussion and so we won't go there. As he said, at the next meeting, he will see what the NCSG, what issues come up, and what policies need to be addressed. So we can move on to B. Someone is speaking? No, nobody's hand is up.

So we still didn't do the year in review, but I will speak with Juan about that, maybe not do a year in review but an update on what we're doing, what our policy comments are, and tie them all together and just do a communicate to our members. I think it's always good to tell our members what we're doing and where they can be involved. I think activities always make people responsive so I will put that down as an action. Maryam, if you can put that down to work with Juan to get communicating activities to our members. I think that would be great but that won't be done until the last week in September because I have no time between then and now.

All right, any other new business? We're at quarter two. Anything else business arising issues that should be addressed? Anyone?

Maryam Bakoshi: Hi, Joan. My hand is up. May I comment?

Joan Kerr: No, I don't see your -- go ahead.

Maryam Bakoshi: Hi. So just a quick reminder that the email that was sent from Brian Sheeran to you yesterday needs to go to the -- well, it should go to the membership. I saw you sent it to the EC and I think it needs to go to the membership so they can partake in the webinar. Thank you.

Joan, we can't hear you. Hello, Joan. We can't hear you.

Joan Kerr: I said we can call this meeting to an end if there is no business arising.

Raoul Plummer: Sorry, we didn't hear you all this while. You were on mute.

Joan Kerr: I'm not. We can call this meeting to...



Raoul Plummer: (Unintelligible) you now.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. I was talking all along. I said are there any other business arising?

Poncelet Ileleji: Poncelet speaking for the record. None.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. Then I can call this meeting to an end then. Great. Thanks everyone. Can you hear me okay now?

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes, we can hear you. Thank you very much. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Thank you. Bye-bye.

Maryam Bakoshi: Kevin, you make stop the recording and disconnect all lines. Thank you very much for your time today. Bye.

END