
MARYAM BAKOSHI: Hello everyone, welcome to the NPOC ExCom call on Tuesday February 19, 2019 at [13:00] UTC. On the call today we have Joan Kerr, Juan Manuel Rojas, Ore Lesi, and from staff, we have myself, Maryam Bakoshi. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes, and also remind you to please mute your microphone when you're not speaking. Thank you very much, and over to you, Joan.

JOAN KERR: Great. Thank you, Maryam. Hi, everyone. I had asked if Raoul wanted to chair this meeting, but he must have forgotten. So I apologize for my voice, but here we go. So welcome, and thanks for joining. So, Juan, would you like to maybe talk about – let's talk about ICANN 64, because obviously, that's coming up.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Okay. Good morning. We have been working on preparation for ALAC and NPOC joint session. We have some points already discussed in the agenda we have included. The only thing that maybe – excuse me, I'm going to copy the document here in the chat in order you can see it. We have the room format, we have the target group, we have the description, and we have the agenda.

In the agenda, we have in this meeting, NPOC-ALAC joint session, we have the roll call, welcome members between [Daniel] and me, then we have our little presentation about what is NPOC, what is ALAC. We are

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

planning to do a lecture for Raoul, protecting your data, an introduction to PDPs.

Maybe in At-Large, they are suggesting that maybe it could be Jonathan Zuck or Alan Greenberg. That is not decided yet, but it's from ALAC. From our side, we have to decide who is going to do that. Maybe David can do this, or another person, maybe a councilor maybe can have a [little or a lot] to share with us this time.

After that, we have question and answers, and what is the following, the next steps to close our joint session. This is [what has been worked.] Right now, I am doing the invite to send it to our members list to spread the information, to get the full room on this event that is ALAC-NPOC joint meeting.

I don't know if I am missing something, but I think that's a little report that has been done. The schedule was checked, we're working with Joan to reorganize some things, and we have talked with [Daniel] and he was agreed with the schedule, with this agenda that maybe you are seeing, you're watching. So by now, we have to decide who is going to talk about from PDPs from our side and to send the invite. The [rest things we have already a] date, we have room, we have time for this meeting. I think that this is all for now. If you have any questions, I will try to answer. Thank you.

JOAN KERR:

Great. Thank you, Juan. Are there any questions, Ore?

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Yes. Juan, I think we were going to reach out to some organizations in terms of publicity for the [date of the] event, so I think APRALO – I think Raoul mentioned [talking to] Open Knowledge Japan, APNIC, APC, DotAsia. So I just wanted to know if we were able to reach out to them.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Yeah. APRALO, okay, APRALO is part of ALAC, so they have told me that they are not inviting people to this Kobe meeting, but they can spread the information. I haven't talked to Raoul about the Open Knowledge contact yet. I was trying to reach the ISOC people in Japan, but I have no answer. I knew that Glenn was doing it too, but I don't know what happened there. I haven't talked with Glenn either.

I didn't remember DotAsia, to contact them to spread it, but we are thinking also to send an invite also through the newcomers list and fellowship list, maybe they can be interested in our session too. So I think I will have in my mind your recommendation about DotAsia, and another thing that you mentioned before.

JOAN KERR: So maybe I can give some light on – so when Maureen and I first talked about this, this was supposed to be sort of a joint session with APRALO, because we were going to do the same outreach sort of thing, and the person that's responsible for that went ahead and did their own thing. So those people, those members from APRALO won't be joining us so that they're actually having a session exact time in the next room as we are. So that's the first thing.

The second thing is ISOC Japan is also going to the APRALO session. And thirdly, there was no response from Open Knowledge for Raoul. So the question now is, who is going to be in the room? We have everything, but as with any session, I don't want to do a session with all this work and there's nobody in the room.

So, have you sent out the invite to the newcomers and the fellows within the ICANN community, Juan?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: No. I haven't sent it because I haven't designed yet. I am thinking to design today and to start to spread it out.

JOAN KERR: So we're getting into just over – a little bit – like two weeks, really. So with any event, the sooner you send it out, the better, because people commit to other things, right? All the information is there. Go ahead.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Maybe I can – I don't know if Caleb is there. Maybe I can send an invite to Caleb and he can support me with that, and that's it. [We have two –] several panels we can send the invite to to reach more people, more groups of interest.

JOAN KERR: Right. So Caleb just joined us. He was having some problems joining. Hi, Caleb. He says he cannot speak. So Caleb, could you work with Juan

today, one, to complete the invite, and two, to send it out to as many people as possible? Including Siranush, because she's probably going to have to schedule the newcomers to come to the event.

Okay, so Juan, Caleb will work with you with the invite. If we can get that done today, I can send Siranush a message to respond to her about participating in her event anyway. I can do that. But why don't we do this? Both of you put your heads together, do the invite, and send it out to as many people as possible. That way, I'm not going to come into the picture. Let's just get it out there in the next 24 hours, if we can, because I'm getting a little bit nervous that nobody's going to be in the room.

And this is the first event with ALAC, and they really want to work with us because we're more aligned with them than they realize, and Maureen and I really want to take this to – it's not just a one-off. We want to actually continuously do this as we develop our resources for both organizations. That's what it's based on. But I had to apprise her that APRALO was supposed to help us with the attendees. That was the point of it, right? So we'll see.

Alright. So let's just talk quickly about your – Juan, since you're on anyway – publicity material so that we've got the invite, and you submitted the other thing for printing, right?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS:

Yeah. I have sent [inaudible] I've received [a Jane mail these days.] I wrote about that in Skype chat for us, for all of you, but I haven't any answer from you. So [Jane] said from –

JOAN KERR: You say for me?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: What? Who is –

JOAN KERR: You say for me?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: I sent it to all one in ExCom Skype chat. [Jane] said that the printing material could be ready just on the business card and booklet because the provider, the vendor could not be able to print buttons for us. So we will have only booklets and business cards.

JOAN KERR: Okay. Well, [inaudible] buttons anyway.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Okay. The original design had a shimmer effect in the card in the [NPOC level,] but [Jane] also told me that the vendor, is not possible to him or her to do it, so we have only black and blue, white and blue card. If you remember, one side is dark, it's blue with a white logo, and then other side is white with a gray logo.

So we will have this for Kobe, I think. I hope all things go well to have our booklet and business card ready for Kobe.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Well, I'm very disappointed in them not providing us with our material. How are we supposed to function? I'll write Adam and complain. So anyway, alright, so we'll have at least [some things.] Alright. Thank you.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Yeah. I don't like too much to not have the shimmer effect that I wanted in our card, but [inaudible] they will have printed, I hope.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Alright. I'll complain. I don't like to complain, but I'm definitely pretty mad about that.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Right.

JOAN KERR: Okay, so I'm not sure Caleb is able to speak. He did say on Skype that he would not be able to speak, and there's no dial out that can happen, so maybe after this, if it's okay with everyone, we could have a Skype call and we could finish up with a Skype call and he could speak with us on numerous things that he has. Is that okay with everyone? Yes? Okay.

Alright, so Raoul is not here, so I think that sort of the cloud storage and the website sort of go hand in hand, and if Caleb knows anything about

that, maybe he can address that. On my e-mail, I did not get a message from either Raoul or David that they weren't attending.

The charter, I received an update from John More. I think he sent it to everyone, if I'm not mistaken. But for sure, I got it, so I have to look at it sometime today or tomorrow, and then let everyone know what the suggestions are. But one of the things that I recommended after the fact was to add back the secretariat and the treasurer in the charter, because I think that Ore's doing what the secretariat should be doing, which is to take the notes, the activities, and putting them on the Trello or whichever project management we decide on. And I think that is going to become a bigger role or is a big role. So I think that we should discuss that, and also, it could be secretary treasurer that has that role and that it is actually a role in the EC since things have changed a little bit. So asking for feedback on that. We'll upload the charter, and I'll put it ion and then people can make comments on it. So we'll do that today.

NPOC bank account. Raoul has been exploring. We have one in Canada, as everyone knows. There's zero dollars in it. There was never any money deposited in it. The money was sent to Raul in Europe, and so I think he's quickly wanting that out of his organization, and he's suggested that we open a bank account in Estonia, and there have been e-mails and Skype messages with regard to that.

NCUC is not happy about it, I don't think. Really, they don't have a say. But it actually ties into something that is a much bigger issue. One is Raoul is recommending that we actually form an entity, a legal entity, so we will have to discuss that. Secondly, we need our own bank account

because this whole idea of the PIR funding, I think, is going to really blow up into a big issue, at least it's going to be with me.

I will tell you right now, I'm not going to stand for what NCUC wants to do, and I think that they've been very – what word do I want to use? The existing Finance Committee for NCSG, I think that those guys are doing a good job asking [the right questions,] and I called Stephanie and said to her I did not like the language that's being used. I don't like how both men are being treated, and she says, well, they're not treated any different than anyone else. And I think they are. They're asking and they need to be answered.

But I told her that we will need to meet in Kobe and talk about this, because I'm not going to let the PIR funding issue go away again. We conceded last year because like I said, we took the higher ground, but we're not going to take the higher ground this year. They have to take the higher ground.

So it brings up the other issue – and this [all] comes into the bank account as well, and I'm addressing it [inaudible]. We have to reissue an appointment for the – Remmy's term's up, and so we will have to reissue a call for representation for that as well. So that's something we absolutely have to do.

And we have to think about who do we want, because NCUC is really putting a lot of pressure on somebody that's coming in almost like a chartered accountant. Now, I think we need somebody who can read financial statements. I think Thato is quite intense on the questions that he's asking, and he's asking the right questions, and so the issue is that

he doesn't understand financial statements, but that's a different issue [inaudible] issue and how things are going to be divided, which is all the questions he's asking. So that's my opinion anyway.

We can't talk about Thato, he's not our representative, but our issue is that we have to choose someone who is going to ask those questions and who is not going to back down on what NPOC gets. So there it is. So we'll do [the questions.]

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Yes, Joan, when is this term over? When is Remmy's term over?

JOAN KERR: I have to check that. I believe it's over – if it's not this month, it's next month. Now, that's what NCUC said, and I said I thought we had appointed him in the fall. So I have to actually check that.

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Okay. I just wanted to know.

JOAN KERR: I haven't checked it yet because I did not know that his term was up, because I for some reason have it in my book as after June. So he may have been involved in the committee before we actually officially appointed him, which obviously, we wouldn't know about that, because there was a committee that was formed, so that's what I'm checking right now, and they're not forthcoming with that information.

So I said, "Well, doesn't it go by when we officially appointed him?"
"No, when the committee [inaudible]." Nonsense. So that's why I didn't know. I will check that. I've put it down to check the date of appointments. And if we appointed him at a certain time and he has a term to go through, he will continue if the term is still a year.

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Okay. Then early on, you had mentioned that about the charter. Sorry to take this back, because John More has sent some feedback.

JOAN KERR: Yeah.

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Was that the feedback he sent [in January,] or has there been something since then?

JOAN KERR: He sent it late last night, that's why I didn't have a chance to –

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Oh, okay. To you and to Raoul?

JOAN KERR: Yeah.

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Okay. Alright.

JOAN KERR: It was really late and I was not in the mood to look at the charter before I went to sleep. So we'll share that with you, with everyone.

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Okay.

JOAN KERR: Okay, so I sent the ABR submissions. There were three of them. Raoul and everyone – it was on Google doc for anyone to add information, so we sent it out, let's see what happens.

Okay, Policy Committee. David's not on the line. So guys, this is becoming a really challenging committee, and so we have to address this once and for all, and we'll do this in Kobe. In one year – what is it? Well, in seven months, we have not had one single meeting.

So we're not going to get funding, we're not going to get supported if we do not do this. This is beyond ridiculous.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: I agree. The worst is that we have people interested into do the policy work, so it's [real,] right? Okay, we have the people interested and we have no meetings and we have no action there.

JOAN KERR:

So we have to decide, [I think] look at the old charter, [then] the new one. We have to have decisive action this time, no negotiation. This is beyond ridiculous. I have never come across this so bad. Usually, people don't [ask] because they don't have a committee, the time is spent informing the committee, but we did all that work, and there is no attempts at all. So yes.

Thank you, Maryam. Maryam says Remmy was appointed in June. That's what I told Stephanie, and she said, "No, he was appointed before then." I said, "No, I remember it was after the elections that we did that." Okay, great. Thank you, Maryam. So there's your answer, Ore.

So I will speak with him though about what we need to get done in terms of – speak with Remmy in terms of what we need, because this is going to turn out to – I don't want it to be – I think NPOC, we took the role that we're going to be collaborative and understanding, but it's beyond – I don't know. I don't want to say anything. Let's just talk to them and see where they're at, because money was sent to Stephanie from NCSG. And some of that money is PIR, which should actually be coming to NPOC as well. I can't hear anyone. Oh, sorry Caleb.

Alright, no policy [meeting.] EC activities. Any comment from – actions from last meeting? Everyone's good? Is anybody hearing me?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS:

Yeah, we hear you.

JOAN KERR:

okay, good.

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Thank you. Yes, we can hear you.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Yeah, we [inaudible] what you are saying, but we are hearing you, right?

JOAN KERR: Okay.

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: [Yes, we hear you.]

JOAN KERR: Alright. EC activities. So, we've got [inaudible] coming up. I've been commenting on any of the NCSG comments that they've sent out for letters. It's an open document for everyone. I think it was only three in the last month that they've put up that I've put some corrections or input on, but I try to do at least three documents a month now just so that there's some NPOC participation in that because we've never done that, to increase that, and I would have thought that was a role that David would have taken, but I took it on anyway.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Joan?

JOAN KERR: Yes?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Are you talking about how many people from NPOC participated in public comments from NCSG right now?

JOAN KERR: Sorry?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Are you talking about how many people, the number of people participated in public comments right now from NPOC?

JOAN KERR: Yes.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Yeah. In this public comment, we have only [inaudible] in one comment. He was the penholder. And I see no more because [I have in there.] But we are writing one with Gloria from NCS, and we haven't finished it, but we are still working on that. If anyone wants to join us, [inaudible] because we have started on reading the material to do a comment. Maybe we can do it as NPOC, or only join us to NCSG comment, but that maybe they are not commenting there. So there are not many comments open right now, like three or four, but we had only [inaudible] one comment.

JOAN KERR:

Okay. The comments that I have are the ones that were started by [Ayden.] He's really good at writing, he's a penholder. Stephanie wrote a couple on privacy. So most of my comments are more editorial and making sure that – a lot of this stuff, the way that it's written, it's for NCUC, but it's not major comments. But I just want to make sure that I participate, that's all. But if we're doing any, I would love to be involved so that we come with a strong document.

Alright. Any other activities that we should be discussing? So we've got Ore that will be in Kobe, and Juan. Sorry about Caleb and myself. We need to sit down and talk about a strong community engagement strategy and put it together before we talk to PIR, because I think we'll get funding if we have an education strategy rather than – obviously to get people, and I was really wishing that we had at least some information from our policy committee so we could say and prove it, but nobody wants to sponsor anybody that doesn't do anything.

So I may have to take over the policy committee. Honestly. And I'm willing to do it, because I think a lot of the administrative work is done now, and we've got to get that committee rejuvenated. Anyway, I think that the EC activity should really focus on policies and education in the next little while. And anybody that has comments –

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS:

Joan, in ABR, we have proposed any educational program, or we didn't? Because I remember that we were working on an ABR for capacity building activity, but I haven't seen in what you sent yesterday. It's just

only for [RightsCon,] IGF and [other regional events.] So I think [inaudible] that it could be out, right? Or it was out.

JOAN KERR:

Yeah, no. Yes, that's a good question. The ABRs are for attending – we have to get known in the community, so to attend events, right? Because that's how you get members of a community get involved, is when they know you. You can send out all the information you want, but it's only when people know you and you can say, "Oh, this is what we're trying to do." "Oh, I can help you."

So we need to get out there. What I was talking about in terms of the education and capacity building, this is something that ALAC and NPOC wants to kind of do together, to build a series of either workshop or outreach or info seminars together instead of each of us doing it. So that's the route we're going to do, with a joint – well, we're hoping that it's going to work out, depending on what happens in Kobe, of course.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS:

Okay. Thank you.

JOAN KERR:

Alright. Any other questions? Okay, next, [business arising.] We talked about the Finance Committee PIR funding. ICANN 65, we have to submit the names for – oh, Maryam has it there. I was just going to say for February 22nd. [inaudible]. Who wants to go? I think that there was some already. So do let me know who wants to, just the interest and then I have to send the list in.

Okay. Any other questions before we go to the Skype meeting with Caleb? No? Alright. When do we want our next meeting? Well, our next meeting [is going to be] Kobe, right?

ORELOUWA SOMOLU LESI: Yes. Do we know what day we have our meeting in Kobe?

JOAN KERR: [inaudible].

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: What is our first meeting?

JOAN KERR: I don't know. I was [writing in a] schedule to send everyone of the meetings that we have to attend or should attend, and so people can choose – because this is how we really want to make sure that we – have a little bit [inaudible] talked about it before. So I will send that. It is in Kobe anyway.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Joan, [on the 5th] there's an NPOC ExCom meeting on Saturday on the 9th of March at 13:30 local time, so 15:00.

JOAN KERR: Okay. [inaudible].

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Yeah, it's going to be [inaudible]. I will send you the call details or the participation details [inaudible].

JOAN KERR: Okay. Alright, while you're doing that, could you send me all the meetings that we're supposed to be at as well, or any information that we should be sending out to make sure we have it on our calendars?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Yeah. The schedule is up, so I will send you the link, and then people can add the meetings you want to go to, and then that way, you'll be able to download a PDF copy of that which you can share with the ExCom. [We can do it] that way.

JOAN KERR: Yeah.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: I'll send it to the [inaudible].

JOAN KERR: Yeah. My goodness, I can't believe Kobe's almost here. Sheesh. So when does everybody get in? I get in on the 5th, but it'll take me two days to respond to the time.

Okay. Alright. Well, alright, if there are no other questions, our next meeting will be on March 9th in Kobe. Let's go to a Skype meeting so we can hear from Caleb and see if Raoul will be able to join us. Okay, great. Thank you, Maryam. There's a schedule right there. Any if you could put it in ExCom as well, Maryam, so everyone can have it.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Okay. I understand.

JOAN KERR: Yeah, great. If there are no other meetings, let's go to the Skype call, ExCom. So Maryam, can you stop the recording, please?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Thank you very much, Joan. Thank you, everyone, for attending the call, and have a good rest of your day. Bye.

JOAN KERR: Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]