
BRENDA BREWER: Good day, everyone. Welcome to the NPOC EC meeting on the 15th of September, 2020 at 13:00 UTC. Please note this meeting is recorded. Kindly state your name, when speaking, for the transcript and keep your phones and microphones on mute when not speaking. Attendance will be recorded via Zoom. Joan, I'll turn the meeting over to you. Thank you.

JOAN KERR: Great. Thank you, Brenda. Welcome, everyone. Ioana said that she'll be just a bit late. So, we'll wait for her. And Caleb has been sent a reminder. So, let's get into it. Are there any actions from the last meeting that we should pay any particular attention to?

OREOLUWA LESI: Okay. Yes. Let's see. I think most of them have been addressed. The NomCom review response ... Joan and Raoul were going to edit the letter. Let's see. But I think ... Did we end up sending the letter or we realized we had more time and we didn't send anything?

JOAN KERR: Right. So, what happened with that is that there was what they call the SO/AC meetings. And it was agreed that one consolidated letter was going to be sent. So, what I think we need to do—and I did put it on the chat for that—is that we're displeased with the fact that the status quo is being supported.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

But the recommendation from that letter is—I don't know why it wasn't sent to everybody—was that there was a full review so that the GNSO can look at not just the representation but the full review of the NomCom. Am I correct, Maryam? Is that how you read it as well?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Hi, Joan. I haven't read that yet.

JOAN KERR: Okay. So, anyway, that's what was sent. But we can still send our letter saying ... Inform them that after this meeting, that we think that we should still object to supporting that the status quo is the way to go. Stephanie and I were talking that it really should come from an NCSG point of view because NCSG should be fighting to have two seats on the NomCom. The problem is that nobody wants to give up their seat. So, that's the status of that. So, Raoul, do you still want us to write something?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. Well, I guess there wasn't a collective statement. So then, we definitely should write.

JOAN KERR: Well, there was a collective statement but then I protested, saying, "We disagree with that—" they call it a coordinated response—that NPOC disagrees with it. But the SO/AC, from the Non-Contracted Parties, they

all said this was the best way forward. Well, my question was, “The best way for whom?”

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. Right. For their bottom line, maybe.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. But I do agree with a review by the GNSO. I think that may be what NPOC should spend its time, in the future, to look at, and preparing why, and make the case for why NPOC should have a seat. And we have a really good case. The question is, will the GNSO increase the number of seats. And I think that was a suggestion from the coordinated response, which we can’t disagree with, really.

So, that’s the state of things. I agreed with that part of it because what happens ... The question is ... How I saw it ... So, I agreed with that part. I disagreed with the status quo. And the other thing is that one of the reasons was the way it is, NPOC would be pitched against Business and other constituencies, which puts us in a really bad position. So, that’s the problem. And I’m saying, “No. We don’t want to do that. We don’t want to be the cause for conflict.” So, that’s why I said we would agree to the increase of the seats. But that’s out of our control, just to be clear. So, that’s the state of things. So, my question is, can we still—

RAOUL PLOMMER: So, I think we should work on the document that we started with. Yeah. Too bad that we’re the only ones concerned. But yeah. I think it is worth

responding because it's our chance to do so before the GNSO review might start. So, it might be a good—

JOAN KERR: So we're on record.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. Exactly.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. It's all about ... Yeah.

RAOUL PLOMMER: And on record on more than just disagreeing.

JOAN KERR: All right. So, Ore, Raoul and I will work on that. And it could be just a half-a-pager, really.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. It doesn't need to be too long. We just get our best stuff there and try to be as neutral and least conflicting as possible.

JOAN KERR: Exactly.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. I'll try really hard.

JOAN KERR: Okay. It's just to state our case and not to mention anybody else. That's all I see it. Right?

RAOUL PLOMMER: That's right.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Okay. So, you'll follow up with it then?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. We'll do it together, right?

JOAN KERR: Yeah.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Okay. I'll work on the draft by the Charter ... No. When's the Charter Review now, again?

JOAN KERR: On Thursday.

RAOUL PLOMMER: All right. Okay. Oof.

JOAN KERR: How about by Monday?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. Monday sounds better, actually.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Okay. For the draft, right?

OREOLUWA LESI: Are there any dates that we need to ...?

JOAN KERR: No. I just reserved the right that NPOC will be sending our response separately.

OREOLUWA LESI: Okay. So, this is not going to be an NCSG letter. It will be an NPOC letter.

JOAN KERR: I just think that we have to do it because I try to work that way. But we just have to do it. I thought that it would have been better to do it as an NCSG, to look like, as a stakeholder group, that the stakeholder needed

to have two. But let's just do it. Otherwise, it's not going to get done. And It just feels like we're just hanging. And I hate that feeling.

OREOLUWA LESI: All right. Okay. So, that's well noted. The other thing that we did was ... Okay. So, we had the motion for the bank account closure in Canada. And Joan was going to communicate the motion to Sam, which you already have. So, that's done.

JOAN KERR: Right.

OREOLUWA LESI: The Charter Review, we scheduled the meeting to start the review of the comments and the feedback from ICANN staff. And of course, we started that last Thursday. And we continue this Thursday.

And then, the final thing is outreach. Ioana was going to consult with NPOC members on their preferred dates, which she has. And we had the first membership meeting—well, the second membership meeting—last week. So, yeah. That's all I have.

JOAN KERR: Wonderful. See, we do get things done, from this point of view anyway. Thank you, Ore. Any questions? No. So, okay. So, Ioana isn't here. So, we'll give her a chance to join the meeting and she can talk about the membership meeting. We can talk about it. We were on it. But I think

we'll give her the chance to do that. And Caleb hasn't responded. So, the website ... All right. If he joins us, he can talk about that as well.

All right. Let's go to ICANN 69, then, which, as we know, is a virtual meeting. Is there anything that we should be aware of, other than scheduling the constituency meeting, Maryam?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: No. But we just need to get the agenda out as soon as possible because the schedule is going to go live later this month. Yeah. So, we just to get the agenda.

JOAN KERR: And what date is the constituency meetings?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: So, we have NPOC on the—let me just share this real quick—on the 12th of October. Yeah.

JOAN KERR: October 12th? Okay.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: I will confirm it and come back to you in a bit.

JOAN KERR: Right. So, I'll just put the date on. And then, we can add ... When we start to promote it, we'll just add the rooms and stuff like that later. So, you're looking to have an agenda soon, then? Sorry. What was the meeting date? Maryam?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Oh, sorry. I was coming of mute. It's actually the ... One second.

JOAN KERR: The 12th, you said?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: So, I'm just checking that. One second, please. I'm sorry. It's on the 6th.

JOAN KERR: The constituency meeting for NPOC is on the 6th?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: That's wrong. It's supposed to be ...

JOAN KERR: Outside of the regular ... Anyway, you can get back to me and I'll prepare the agenda.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Yeah.

JOAN KERR: Okay. All right. And when do you need the agenda by?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: I need the agenda next week, if possible.

JOAN KERR: All right. Great. And can you talk a little bit about this support that ICANN is giving for the Pandemic Reimbursement Fund?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Yeah. Sure. So, this initiative was created on the 15th—well, it was announced on the 15th of August. And it's essentially a support for members—eligible community members who have issues with internet access costs. And so, ICANN is proposing to refund up to \$60 for participants. But they would have to apply through a link that I'm going to post now. And then, also ... Actually, this link will tell you who can apply.

And there are two aspects of the program—eligibility of the participants. First, we'll need to confirm whether the applicants ... So, NPOC would need to confirm if the applicants are currently active within the community. And then, secondly, at the end of the meeting—the conclusion of ICANN 69—ICANN staff will come back to us if they participated in one or more of the group sessions at ICANN 69.

And before that, a list of the approved participants will be sent to individual communities so that you know who has been approved for NPOC, for instance. And then, of course, a follow-up after the meeting will be to find out if they participated or not. They will use this to gauge payment or not for the bandwidth.

The application deadline is the second of October and receipts need to be submitted by the 13th of November for reimbursement.

JOAN KERR:

So, if I'm understanding this ... I'm going to put my advocate's hat on because I guess I'm frustrated with ICANN sometimes. People have to go through applying for \$60 and NPOC has the job of monitoring them and then writing a report for \$60?

MARYAM BAKOSHI:

No, not a report. So, basically, they will apply. ICANN will check the eligibility status of the applicant. If they are approved, they will come to NPOC to say, "Are these members ...?" Sorry. once they apply, they will come to NPOC and say, "Are these members of NPOC? Yes or no?" You say yes and then it goes on to the next process of approval. Once they are approved, after the ICANN meeting, staff will come back to NPOC to say, "Did A or B participate in the meetings?" Does that make sense?

JOAN KERR:

It makes sense. It's just a lot of work for \$60. And I'm not even sure if ... Did they do any research on what the cost is for those people?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: They must have. Yes. They did.

JOAN KERR: Okay. All right. Well, we'll send it out with the link. Okay. Well, it's a beginning, anyway. We talked about NomCom already. So, Ioana, thanks for joining us. I'll just do a quick recap.

So, we talked about the activities—what's being done—and followed up, the instructions for Sam to close the account, following up with the NomCom writing a response from—that was a response done by the SO/ACs as a coordinated response but we're going to ... I reserved the right for us to respond on behalf of NPOC. So, Raoul and I will do that. You can be a volunteer as well, if you'd like. And we worked on the Charter. So, those were the things to do.

So, if you're here, if you want to give us just an overview of the membership meeting maybe a go-forward plan. Ioana?

IOANA STUPARIU: Hi! He, everyone. Sorry. I have a bit of a bad connection. So, you know that last week, we had the membership meeting. We did not have that many members attending. However, there was a recording and the recording is available to them.

And for the meeting, I prepared a detailed agenda, incorporating open calls and other opportunities in which they can get involved to do public comments—to contribute to public comments and so on, as well as

promoting this reimbursement program that Maryam presented when I joined the call.

I also included information about the last webinars, as you know. I did not get any feedback about the meeting but there were no complaints either so I assume it was okay. And also, we did not have any new membership applications for quite some months—so, nothing on that front, at least.

JOAN KERR:

Yeah. Some rigorous actions in outreach has to happen for us to ... You can ask the questions and design things. But are we representing what people need? But it was a good meeting. It's good to have it anyway because if you get used to having those meetings, eventually they'll start to participate as well, right?

And you're asking about the last meeting. It's not the last official meeting of the old EC. But it is, in effect, because the next meeting is the constituency meeting for ICANN 69, which we always turn the EC meeting into the constituency meeting. So, that would be the official last meeting, officially. Does that answer your question?

IOANA STUPARIU:

Yes. It makes sense. Thank you.

JOAN KERR:

Yeah. Great. All right. So, the action for the pandemic is to send out just a notice. I'll send that out with the link. And we'll follow up with the

NomCom. Anything that we should be aware of, in terms of any business arising, other than we know that the Policy Committee and all of those things have to get active? Those aren't administrative things. No?

So, I think that we should send ... I gather that Carlos has a few issues with the pandemic and family problems. I think that we should also send him just a note on behalf of the EC, to say we're thinking about him and sorry for what's happening sort of thing. It's a very lowly time for a lot a people—struggles to participate and family issues and stuff. I can send it myself but I thought it would be nice if we sent it on behalf of the EC. What does everybody feel?

IOANA STUPARIU: I think it's a great idea, personally. So, I'm happy that we are here one for another.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Okay. Great. So, I'll do that as well and copy everybody on it. Anything else?

IOANA STUPARIU: Just one thing regarding the proposal to have webinars. I did not get feedback regarding the proposal that I shared with the membership. I will send another reminder, not included in the report—in the PDF—this time so that maybe people will see it easier and have some reaction on the topics so that we can give some feedback to the guys—to Adam and rest.

JOAN KERR: So, I can't remember. I know I read it. But one of the things that we had discussed as an EC was to have an education component of the membership meetings. But the proposal from ICANN was that there was a separate education meeting. Did we ever clarify that and make a decision on that?

IOANA STUPARIU: Not really. They proposed some topics. We discussed about the potential to have them certified, as well. And then, they said, "Look, guys. This is what we can offer you." And then, "Just consult your membership and see whether this is interest in this." That's what they said. And of course, it can be part of the membership meeting. But the idea was to have them recorded so that people can attend them whenever they want, not just as part of the membership meeting, and also as part of the onboarding—new members' onboarding program.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. So, I understand that. What I was asking is are we having two meetings—one is an education and one is a membership? Or are we going to incorporate them into one?

IOANA STUPARIU: We didn't discuss this, no.

JOAN KERR: Right. So, what does everybody think? So, the proposal that the ICANN staff sent, Adam, it's at least one hour for the topics. And the membership meetings are once every three months. So, what does everybody think?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Well, I think the webinar should be every two weeks or so and—I don't know—one hour at a time. But are these the webinars we're talking about, that Adam Peake was supposed to, or ICANN was supposed to do for us to elaborate on our mission?

JOAN KERR: Yeah.

IOANA STUPARIU: Yes.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Oh. Okay. Weren't there quite a few of them that they were thinking? We're talking five or six hours of that?

IOANA STUPARIU: So, we received, I think, four topics.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Four topics? Okay. Right. Yeah. I don't know how much we'll be able to participate in the next—in Hamburg meeting—which is obviously

online. But maybe we could have a webinar per day during then—during that time—maybe just around the meetings that we need to attend or ... I don't know. It's just an idea.

JOAN KERR: It might be a little late to put that together. But what I think is more important for the ICANN 69 is that we maybe put a list of presentations together for our members, from the GNSO or things that they might be interested, for operational concerns, which is already ongoing. You know what I mean?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Right.

JOAN KERR: Because that's easy. That's just extrapolating our already-confirmed sessions. So, what does everybody think?

RAOUL PLOMMER: I think we could do with a few more membership meetings, just to get these out of the way. One hour at a time is not that bad. I think I could quite easily do two of those per month.

IOANA STUPARIU: I would also not connect them to membership meetings, since we only have one every three months. What's the point in going through a program of webinars if you have them throughout the year? So, I would

rather select them—I don't know—to have them all finished throughout two months, let's say, and know that every year you have those webinars at that time—I don't know—or something like this.

But I wouldn't connect them to membership meetings. That would also maybe be too much. It's the only time when we actually meet our membership. We might have other things to discuss or cover, I think.

OREOLUWA LESI: What are the exact topics that the webinars cover?

IOANA STUPARIU: Let me check. It's very basic. Let me check exactly. One second. But the point was that I thought they were rather for new members or members that are not that used to what's happening within ICANN.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. They were very basic.

IOANA STUPARIU: Very basic. Exactly. So, as part of onboarding, yeah. That would be great. But for more experienced members, I'm not sure. I'm opening the document now. Just one second. The topics are Introduction to Domain Names and the DNS; TLD Lifecycle—Registrants' Basics; the third one, Protection, Domain Names, and DNS Policy and Policy Development; and the fourth one, DNS Security—so, very basic ones.

OREOLUWA LESI: Yeah. I think that if these are things that we can have, maybe, once a year at a time when we have a lot of new members and we can have it over—I don't know, maybe one—maybe spread over a month or so because I think two a week might be a bit too much. But I think these are also some things which are part of ICANN Learn as well. So, we can also share the link to the ICANN Learn courses for new members to go through.

IOANA STUPARIU: Yeah. The only discussion was that if—because they are tailored to us, they will contain a part in which they address specific issues regarding not-for-profits. That was the added value that they promised, at least.

OREOLUWA LESI: Okay!

RAOUL PLOMMER: I was just about to ask.

IOANA STUPARIU: So, it's not just them recreating what's on the ICANN Learn. It's more like taking what's there and adapting it to us, like in direction with our membership, like newcomers, for instance, in which they can ask questions that concern them directly. So, it's more bilateral, not unilateral.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. It's more focused on operational concerns.

RAOUL PLOMMER: I guess we'll have access to all the learning material as well. So, we might be able to create some adaptation of that, of our own. I think that's what Adam is saying, is that staff can do that for NPOC.

IOANA STUPARIU: Yes. Exactly. They just want us to decide what we want, for how long, and when so that they can start working on it.

RAOUL PLOMMER: No. But I'm saying let's say they have four one-hour webinars for us. We might want to shrink that down to one 20-minute presentation on NPOC. See what I mean? I just want to know that we're able to use the material.

JOAN KERR: So, originally, when we talked about education, that was the idea—to have them as 20 ... You and I met with Adam originally, if you recall. And that was the proposal, was that there was a series developed for the membership meeting—as a part of the membership meetings. And part of it would be education, for the 20 to 25 minutes. But when they came back, they thought that it should be more robust—more time, interactions, time for questions, and not taking away from information to ... It's a separate meeting. That's their proposal. So, I think that's what we have to answer to.

The first question is do we want ...? It seems that everybody wants a separate meeting. So, that's the first thing. And secondly, you want a shortened version. Is that what you're asking, Raoul?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Well, I feel skeptical about seeing tailored material to NPOC for one hour, over one subject, of the subjects that Ioana mentioned. So, yeah. I don't know. But since ICANN is doing it all, I guess they won't mind if we, again, reuse some of the material. That—

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Hello? Am I on? Yeah. So, use it for another education time? I'm trying to figure out what you mean?

IOANA STUPARIU: I think we lost Raoul. Oh! You're here. Hi.

RAOUL PLOMMER: No. I just got back. It keeps throwing me off, for some reason. Don't know why. But yeah. Well, I'm going to give these sessions a chance. Let's check them out. I could easily see them before the end of the year. We were given the material. I'll be glad to see it. And I don't know. Are those going to be presented or can we watch those on our own?

JOAN KERR: I think the follow-up ... Correct me if I'm wrong, Ioana. The follow-up is that Adam sent the proposal and we are to respond. And it would be

NPOC's duty to schedule, once we know the availability of staff to present it to the membership.

IOANA STUPARIU: Yeah.

JOAN KERR: I believe that's the next action.

IOANA STUPARIU: Yes. That's correct.

OREOLUWA LESI: I think it's fine. I think since it's the first time we're doing it, we can go with one hour—I don't know—maybe once a week, sometime after ICANN 69, and basically see how it goes. And maybe, based on that, we can decide that, "Oh. Actually, we didn't need that much time. We can make it shorter. We can do this. We can edit it—work on it in some way or the other.

JOAN KERR: So, if I'm hearing correctly, it's a separate meeting. We have a series. And then, use the first sessions to assess the go-forward plan.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah and what material we can reuse, or use, ourselves.

JOAN KERR: All right. So, Ioana, do you want me to respond to ... I wish Caleb was here because he'd be taking this over after. Do you want me to respond to Adam? You can do it on the chat with both of us on it.

IOANA STUPARIU: Exactly. And then, we can jump in, if there's something to add.

JOAN KERR: All right. I think, Raoul, if I could suggest something, maybe after the first sessions that will be part of—for the evaluation—depending on what needs to happen, then say, "Can NPOC use the material and shorten it, or elongate it, or whatever?" But ask that question after the first sessions. Does that sound fair?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. I guess so, although if I ask that question after seeing the first session, that's not very flattering.

JOAN KERR: The thing is, you would want the members to respond as well, right?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Oh. That's right. Yeah.

JOAN KERR: So, you're using the responses from the membership to say, "Okay. This is the feedback that NPOC has. The recommendations are more sessions, less ... Hour sessions are too long," or, "not enough." And then, you're using that as the recommendations, right?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Sounds good because our members will know best what material is interesting.

JOAN KERR: Right. And we're always, obviously, curtailing it to them, right? So, all right, Ioana. So, you'll respond to Adam and then we can have some feedback after that. Sounds good?

IOANA STUPARIU: Sounds good.

JOAN KERR: Sounds great. The other business arising, I just wanted to touch base on, is Estonia.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Okay.

JOAN KERR: What's the update, if any?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Well, I haven't heard back from the Estonian guy that was helping me earlier. But yeah. I could try and get some other people for that. I don't know too many Estonians. Too bad.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Knowing the legal ramifications and liabilities for NPOC, I think that's part and parcel with when the decision is made. All right. So, that's an action for you to do some due diligence, then?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. I have at least one other Estonian friend who's a [pirate], actually. So, he could probably do this as a favor.

JOAN KERR: Okay. So, I think the next step is once you find out, then there has to be something that's presented to the EC, right—like what is the liabilities—again, summarizing what it's important, and why we're doing it, and the costs, if any—things like that. And if it's being incorporated, what is it being incorporated as? It could be a civil society thing, where it's just an informal group. So, those decisions will have to be made. But that's for you guys to make. It was just something that was started on my watch so I just wanted to make sure that—the next action, right?

All right. Any other business arising? Maryam, you're really quiet. Is there anything that we're supposed to attend to that we haven't—I haven't, I should say?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: No. I was just thinking about the webinars. And if you allow me. So, I agree with the feedback after the first webinar. I think what Adam and Brian were looking at was probably once a month because if you do that once every two weeks, that might be a bit too much.

And my other advice is probably have one closer to the next members' call so that you have something to talk about, which is fresh and new, for the membership call. And then, of course, you can get more feedback from that as well. That was just what I was thinking while you were talking. But yeah. Thanks.

JOAN KERR: Thank you, Maryam, for that feedback. But I think what we were thinking is in terms of what we have to do for our members—that having a series of them close together was better for the members. That's what we were thinking, as opposed to staff. Do they not have staff that ...? If Brian can't do it or Adam, can someone else not do it?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: No. Absolutely. Absolutely, you can. You can discuss this with Adam and Brian and they can try to fit it around their schedule. But yeah. That was the initial thought. But if you want it as a series of webinars over, maybe, a month, let them know that.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. I think that's the direction the committee is saying. So, all right. Thank you. Anything else?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Well, I had a look at the NCSG Review, NPOC 2020. And there's still quite a few blank spots there. I don't know. We've put a lot of tasks there. But there's still quite a few holes. For example, are we saving transcripts somewhere at the moment, Maryam?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Hi, Raoul. Yes. We are, on the wiki.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Right. Could you post, on the chat, what the link to transcript would ...? Or where are those transcripts held? Maybe on Skype so it stays there for a bit longer.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Okay. I'll do so now.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Thanks.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. And she always sends them after the calls, as well. So, Raoul, may I suggest ... That's a good point about the review. Can you send the link so people can—the EC can go to it as well and start to put in anything to

help it along? Because I remember there wasn't that much but it still takes time. So, if you could do that, that would be great. I'd probably send by email, since people who aren't on the call, they can access it as well.

RAOUL PLOMMER: If you are on NPOC EC channel, which I think everybody in this meeting is, Maryam put the agenda there. And it's on the second page of that agenda, NCSG Review.

JOAN KERR: Okay. Great. Thank you. Excellent for bringing it up, by the way, because I was going through all the things that we haven't done. So, that's great that ... Anyone else has something that we need an update on, to do? No. Okay.

Well, our next meeting, then, if there is no other business, is going to be the constituency meeting. So, I'll confirm that with Maryam around the schedule for ICANN 69. And, Ioana, I guess I'm still working with you. Maybe we can design a flyer or something to send out to the members, to invite them to the constituency meeting as well, unless you prefer that I work with Caleb. I'm okay either way, just as long as it's done.

IOANA STUPARIU: I think if we can work, all three of us, that would be the best, I think, if Caleb is available. Because I am okay but I would not want to just exclude him from this.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Well, that's what I'm saying. I usually just do flyer—just invite them as the chair. But I think that ... I like when the membership gets to know the membership chair.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Caleb has joined us, now, hasn't he?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yes. I'm in the meeting.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. So, you have 10 things to do.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Wow! My apologies for joining late. So, I have my national IGF we are planning for and I'm heading the technical team. So, it's been almost hell of a time trying to fix things with team members and [every other]. So, I apologize for coming in late.

JOAN KERR: Okay. So, welcome. Yeah. So, we were just talking about the scheduling of the constituency meeting, which is the next meeting. And talking maybe not just sending out a notice but maybe a flyer because sometimes people respond to those a little bit more. So, that's ... Ioana says the three of us can work on it. I'm okay with whomever. Like I said,

I'd normally just do it and send it out as chair. So, let's work on it. So, that's the other ... That's the only thing that I have.

Is there anything from you, Caleb, for NPOC? The website was on the agenda, as well. Anything that we should know?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah. So, I will be updating the slider banner with the ICANN Meeting. That should be ICANN 69. Sometimes these numbers [fool] me. That should be ICANN 69. I will be replacing it with the ICANN 69 banner.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. It's 69.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah. So, thankfully, Maryam gave me the banner yesterday. So, I'll be working to update that. I think that summarizes the current updates on the website. And, thankfully, Ore, who I'm handing over to, has also been updating the website with the minutes of meetings. So, we are already in good hands. So, that's it. Is this the last EC meeting before the new EC takes ...?

JOAN KERR: It's the last meeting with us. The official last meeting is at ICANN 69.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Okay. So, will this meeting be that place where I have to shed tears and say, “I will miss you, Joan?”

RAOUL PLOMMER: No, no. That’s the next meeting. Hey! Raymond asked for some materials.

JOAN KERR: Yes. I was going to bring him up.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. Right. Because we almost forgot about that. We should do that.

JOAN KERR: No. I have it here.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah. So, for me, I think we should encourage him. We should try and get ... Perhaps we can get some materials to him. However, the Ghana School ... I do have some information which, perhaps, is not before us, officially. The Ghana School of Internet Governance—basically, the school internet governance in Ghana—is supposed to be run with stakeholders such as ISOC and the Internet Governance Forum, like when we have it in Nigeria. There was an AU disclaimer that I saw somewhere—an email that was sent to African Union, disclaiming the school at some point in time. But that’s not an information that we are supposed to have.

But I will forward to you. I don't want the situation whereby it looks like NPOC endorsed something we can't originally put our hands onto—say it's a validation of something that is happening in Ghana. But I don't have clarity on what is happening in Ghana. But at least I came across that information.

We should just say, "Oh. You're using it for outreach? Have it," and not say that we are endorsing whatever they are doing or validating what they are doing, at some point in time. I'm just trying to advise so we can be very careful on how we do those dealings.

JOAN KERR:

Yeah, number one. Number two is, also, when people are marketing NPOC, to ensure that they're actual members of NPOC as well. We're all for everybody promoting us but ...

CALEB OGUNDELE:

Yeah. Everyone who is a member of NPOC is free to promote NPOC and we welcome it. It's an added advantage to us. But I'm only just mentioning that we should not make it look like NPOC has endorsed—or because it's doing this, NPOC is endorsing what he is doing in a way. So, that's what I'm just trying to tell us to be careful about.

JOAN KERR:

Yeah. Right.

CALEB OGUNDELE: But I can just forward that email, just for our internal information. But I won't forward it to the mailing list. I'll have to send it to each other and through the email, not to the EC mailing list, as it could be documented against whatnot.

JOAN KERR: I'm just wondering how do you ...? If a member asks for marketing material to promote it, how do you ...? People just see it as information, not necessarily endorsement. But should we say something like that on the website—that all members are ...? I don't know.

CALEB OGUNDELE: We should give them the materials, right? And we can mention it to members, maybe during a membership update, that, "Raymond requested from this and we gave it to them." It's part of membership updates that we can do.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. And promotion.

CALEB OGUNDELE: And promotion. And we encourage members who need marketing materials to promote NPOC, yes. But what I am emphasizing we should not endorse—make it look like we endorse—since it isn't part—

JOAN KERR: Right. So, maybe something on the website, under either outreach or whatever, that from time to time, members request marketing material, which we gladly supply. However, ... I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. I don't know. I don't ... I really feel uncomfortable so we have to think about it. To me, if a member asks—is hosting an event and they want to promote NPOC, it's seen as NPOC material because they're a member. So, I don't know. How does everybody feel?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Absolutely, I agree with you. In fact, I think Ioana can send that as an email, that, "Are you hosting a local internet governance meeting in your area? Or maybe you are hosting a virtual meeting. Do you need NPOC digital marketing materials to share among your members?" And then, if we have those digital materials, we can put online and then we can share the links.

JOAN KERR: So, did Raymond, in fact, get those materials? I know, Raoul, you responded. But did he actually get those materials? Did you attach them? Because I didn't see an attachment?

RAOUL PLOMMER: No. I think he was just asking, "So, could I get these?" And I was thinking that, basically, ICANN could print them and send them to him—

JOAN KERR: Oh! Oh, I see.

RAOUL PLOMMER: - because it's expensive.

CALEB OGUNDELE: I feel it might not be cost-effective.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. See, I was thinking that ... I'm an environmentalist so I always think, "Oh. Send it to him and they print." But that's a good point, too.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Ore, do you still have some of those materials we used for Nigerian School on Internet Governance and Nigerian Internet Governance Forum?

OREOLUWA LESI: I don't. We used up everything last year.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Oh. Because I was just thinking that the proximity of Nigeria to Ghana.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Remember to put this kind of stuff at work.npoc.org as well so we can really showcase what—

CALEB OGUNDELE: Okay. So, a suggestion is that the marketing materials, we can put everything in the workspace. And it would be a good opportunity for us to tell him to go to the workspace, to go and download the digital materials from there. And he can distribute the digital materials—just do them via email. That’s a more cost-effective way in these virtual times—virtual [mail] times.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Cost-effective for who, though? Because ICANN does it for any of us for free.

JOAN KERR: Yeah.

CALEB OGUNDELE: So, are you proposing that we ask ICANN to print and then send?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yes.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. That’s what the email asked Maryam to do.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Okay. It’s fine. I was thinking that we could still distribute the same material using a digital experience. That’s what I think.

JOAN KERR: We should have the marketing material so that when someone asks, we can respond and say, "Here's the digital copies. Should you require printed copies, please let us know," to see if we can ... Don't say we're going to give them. Just see if we can accommodate it. That's all. So, the question is ... Maryam, did you have a chance to respond to Raymond regarding the printed material?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: I didn't get that email, Joan.

JOAN KERR: Okay. So, Raoul copied you in his response from Raymond, or requested the printed material?

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Sorry. When was this? I can check through my email.

JOAN KERR: It was last week or the week before.

RAOUL PLOMMER: No. This was just like ... It was last week, wasn't it? Yeah, end of last week.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. I think so. Yeah.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: I didn't receive that email.

JOAN KERR: So, Raoul, if you want to just forward it to her. Are you able to ...? I guess we don't know when the Ghana IGF is, right?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Ghana IGF has been done like a month ago. But his own school, that I'm aware of, will probably be maybe November, or December, or [thereabouts].

JOAN KERR: Okay. So, that's what he's asking. Okay. I see. So, Raoul, might I suggest, since you responded to him, to send him the digital copies and ask—and see if he asks if we have printed copies, as opposed to offering it? How's that?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Sorry. How soon was it, now—the Ghana School of Internet Governance?

JOAN KERR: It's done. It's his next event that he needs it for, in November.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Oh! I see. Okay. All right.

JOAN KERR: But he's the one that mentioned Ghana, right?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Right.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. I think that was the confusion.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. So, who has these marketing materials? I know I don't.

JOAN KERR: They're supposed to be on the ...

OREOLUWA LESI: We have some in the Nextcloud.

JOAN KERR: Yeah.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Are they there?

JOAN KERR: Yeah. That was the idea for having this whole thing. All right. So, Ore, the next thing that needs to put on the actions is what came out of the Charter call was the operating procedures. Because we referred to it and said that we would create one.

OREOLUWA LESI: Okay.

JOAN KERR: And there was something else that came out ... I have my ... Well, I don't have my Charter open in front of me but that was one of them. So, we should put that on the to-do list so that it doesn't get forgotten. And I think that's it, other than, I think, the Charter meeting this Thursday. I think that's it for me. Any other comments?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. I can't find the marketing material on work.npoc. So, I think Juan had it, at least. Did Maryam?

OREOLUWA LESI: I'll look for it because I remember ... I thought I put it there. So, I will go and check again. I thought it was one of the first things I uploaded. I will check.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. All I see is a presentation there.

OREOLUWA LESI: Oh, okay. Okay.

JOAN KERR: So, it should be the beginner's guide, the flyer. Things like that should all be there.

OREOLUWA LESI: Okay. If it's not there, then I'll put it there.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. That was the whole idea so that we'd never have to go scrambling for where they are. Thank you, Ore, for doing that. So, if I'm correct, you'll send that to him, right, Raoul? Raoul? We may have lost him.

Okay, guys. I think that's it, then. Any last words? Otherwise, I can call this meeting to an end. No last words? Great, guys. Thank you, again, for coming. And I'll send out the agenda for the constituency. If you guys have any suggestions, do let me know, of speakers or presentations. That would be great. Okay! Thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]