
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement, taking place on Monday, the 14th of December 2015 at 18:00 UTC.

On the English channel we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Maureen Hilyard, Ali AlMeshal, Daniel Nanghaka, Alfredo Calderon, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Glenn McKnight, Ron Sherwood, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

On the Spanish channel we have Harold Arcos.

We have apologies listed from Vanda Scartezini and Juan Manuel Rojas.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Jean-Jacques Sahel, Jeff Salem, Ariel Liang, Yeshim Nazlar, and myself Terri Agnew.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Sabrina and Veronica.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters.

Thank you very much and back over to you Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you Terri. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh here. And I would like to thank everybody for being on this call today. I see that, well quite a few persons from staff, including a person that was introduced by Heidi last time around, but wasn't able to speak.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Heidi, would you be willing to do an introduction again?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you Dev. I'd be more than happy to do an introduction of Yeshim Nazlar. She, I believe I mentioned her last week. She again is the AC SO coordinator for both the At-Large and GNSO teams. She is based in Istanbul at the hub. And Yeshim, I think you can speak now.

TERRI AGNEW: This is Terri. Her audio is almost connected. Apologies about that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Maybe we can come back at the end Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Very well. Okay. Well and these are some things that you have to get used to in communications and in Adobe Connect sessions. So welcome to the club. Okay. But on a more serious note, let's move ahead on our agenda.

And our last call, we began a discussion on the feedback on the several... Oh I'm so sorry. I jumped an agenda item here, which is the review of the ALAC outreach action items from the previous call. My apologies. So just I think there was only two agenda items, or three. One was to schedule this call, which was done. And Heidi to follow up whether funding was available for local [inaudible]. Heidi can you just give us an update on that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you Dev. This is Heidi. As I mentioned to you Dev, we did communicate with the department of communications, and they noted that local funding would not be possible, what is possible however is that if you were to let us know, if the community was to let us know their needs, then we could arrange those documents to be delivered to the activities that you have informed us about.

For the particular example of the APRICOT event, I've reached out to the APAC hub, and they are aware that you would like some documents, and we also are working with the communications department on the new APRALO trifold. So we will ensure that those are, that particular document is there for you as well as the business cards.

If there are other documents that you would like for that event, we have possibly some staff from the APAC hub, or at least the APRALO region, that could deliver those to you. Thank you Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Heidi. This is Dev Anand again. And the one outstanding action item that needs to stay there is the creating the Wiki space to track these requested documents, and the quantities, and what language, and so forth. So we could probably just create that later this week.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, this is Heidi again. Sorry to interrupt. Is that an action item for staff?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I would say myself and staff can work on that item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And I believe that Yeshim is now on the call, if you would allow her just one moment to say hello to everyone.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly. Yeshim, you have the floor. Go ahead.

YESHIM NAZLAR: Hello?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Yeshim. We can hear you.

YESHIM NAZLAR: Hello. Thank you. Sorry it took a while for me to get connected.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well we just wanted to welcome you, and this is the ALAC call for outreach and engagement, so and you'll be working with this team in support. So thank you very much Yeshim.

YESHIM NAZLAR: Thank you. Thank you Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. And this Dev and welcome Yeshim. Look forward to working with you.

YESHIM NAZLAR: Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: So let's now work on the next agenda item, which is the Civil Society engagement document. So we started having a preliminary discussion on that, on our last call, and we felt it important to continue the discussion. There are several comments that have been raised, that's been raised by At-Large, in several from the outreach and engagement subcommittee, there has been some further discussion on the At-Large mailing list.

And so, Glenn and Maurine have been, I would say, been really tracking this issue for the outreach and engagement subcommittee. So perhaps Glenn, well, and I know Jean-Jacques Sahel is from global stakeholder engagement and is on the call. And welcome Jean-Jacques.

So perhaps Glenn, you want to take the floor just to guide this discussion?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. I think many of the items that I probably will be bringing up may have been updated, not in this document, but maybe Adam Peake has

spoken with Jean-Jacques on some of the dialogue going back and forth. I think what we've had is a very loose definition to start with on what is Civil Society. And a large item is that the original document had, it was basically didn't require the ALSs to self-define if they were an organization, NGO or otherwise, focused on policy issues on the Internet.

And it really looked like At-Large was being singled out in this process, not other groups were actually being told to self-identify. So if you look at the dialogue that's been in the email recently, is who is going to do that qualification? Who is in? Who is out? So these were big issues that we need to have clarified right up front.

The second thing in the document itself, the original document, had equal amounts of calendar events which indicated what outreach and engagement events that were subscribed per region. The document that we supplied back a couple of months ago had a lot of different events.

Now that entire calendar has been taken out entirely, which is a whole other issue itself, why that's been removed in the first place. So Dev, I'd like to really ask Jean-Jacques to sort of go over. Maybe there is updates and any other concerns in the document that I shared that feedback might be addressed.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Glenn. This is Dev again. So Jean-Jacques, do you have any thoughts or comments to make?

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL: Okay. I think [inaudible]... Good evening everybody. So I don't know how many of you were at the various meetings and discussions we've had with the At-Large community on this, so let me just state very briefly, [inaudible] some of you will have had.

So within, I hope you hear me okay, by the way. Within ICANN, we [inaudible] have [inaudible] goal to make sure that the diversity of Internet users aren't there, of the [inaudible] Internet users, is somewhat represented in ICANN's policy discussions.

So and also, geographic diversity. So diversity of stakeholder groups and diversity of geography. So as part of that, we have the [inaudible]...

...which was created just...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. I think we may have lost Jean-Jacques Sahel.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Yeah, hi Dev. It looks like he's going to try to dial back in, given his choppy audio. So if you could bear with us for just one moment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Good, it could only get better.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, very well. Thanks for that. Well of course, while Jean-Jacques is getting connected, I see Adam has raised his hand. Adam, go ahead.

ADAM PEAKE: Hi. Good evening, good afternoon everybody. Just while Jean-Jacques is coming back online, I think I can touch on two issues that Glenn mentioned. And going to the event calendar Glenn, at the bottom of the new document you'll see that we say, we certainly acknowledge the work particularly that we seen NARLO do, and that was in the covering letter that went out to you all six weeks ago.

But what we're doing is trying to take that very long list, and it was a growing list of events, out of the particular document, and it would create a living, standalone calendar, which is I think one of the suggestions that came out.

And of course, a document like this that's sitting online, events that you put in, they start to, well they've occurred by the time you finished editing the document. So it was looking a little bit messy. But we certainly acknowledge the work that was done by At-Large and are grateful for it, and taken a lot of your comments onboard.

The other issue about asking ALS to self-select, the idea there was that we are cognoscente that there was discussion within the At-Large, not all members thought this actually was a good idea, this proposal was a good idea. And my understanding of that is that some people feel that one of the strengths of the At-Large is that it's a multistakeholder organization.

So asking participants to consider one of the, what we often refer to as silo parts of ICANN, doesn't fit with the overall strength that we feel is an essential part of At-Large. Now I'm also aware that others don't necessarily agree with that point of view, so what we wanted to do was give you the freedom to decide for yourselves whether that was the approach you wanted or not.

So the idea of being able to self-select as Civil Society was meant to be a strength, not a weakness, and I apologize that it came over as looking like we were, in some way, trying to actually exclude. The point was to actually try and include. So often this messaging gets mixed up. So I apologize for not being clear on that.

And I think Jean-Jacques is probably back online, so [CROSSTALK] thank you.

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL:

Sorry about earlier. I hope the audio will be better now. I just wanted to just finish the introduction that I was making, just to place this effort within a wider context, which is this effort of trying to ensure that we have enhanced participation and diversity in ICANN. So to make sure that present with the geographic and stakeholder diversity on the Internet.

So you've got a GSTE which have [inaudible] region, Latin America, Europe, etc. will try to make sure that stakeholders in those regions are recently involved in ICANN, but on top of that, we want to make sure that there is diversity in stakeholder groups. So what was started a couple of years ago was business engagement, which my colleague Chris

Mondini leads from North American globally. You might have heard of those. It goes to various [inaudible] and business events to try and raise awareness of ICANN and interest in ICANN.

There was always a plan that just wouldn't be the business community that would benefit from that type of engagement. ICANN has engaged with governments, of course, for a long time. It's good business and good government that has been going on for a while, that's for the rest or the other communities in ICANN, we haven't had the same sort of focus.

So it was felt very strongly that we needed to make sure that we engage with the technical communities, that started over the past year with the arrival of Ariel from AfriNIC joining ICANN staff, to be the person leading our engagement with the technical community. And then there is this very broad stakeholder group which [inaudible] effort. We have described as Civil Society, which in the current draft, broadly encompasses traditional NGOs, nonprofit, end users, and academia.

So that's just to give you a [inaudible] of where it all fits. So in relation to things like the ALAC outreach strategies, or the outreach strategies of other constituencies, who maybe describe as Civil Society, or who maybe develop [inaudible] to their outreach, what we hope to have is [inaudible] are all able walk with you as we've done with some of your [inaudible] activities that concretely address these stakeholder groups, and try to basically increase the numbers and the number of volunteers that can help and join the ranks.

So yeah, that's a mutual direction of where we can go into detail question. Hopefully, if it all works well, we'd love to have an ongoing relationship, or maybe [inaudible]... and we then [continue] to have discussion with other constituencies, like in [THG?] who are involved with, just [inaudible] and work to find and basically maximize our assets and make it work.

So I'll stop here for now. I hope it was clear enough.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Jean-Jacques. This is Dev Anand. And thanks, you were much more clearer that time. So I see a hand raised. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Dev. Olivier speaking. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes we can.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks. So a few things. You might be aware, there has been some discussion going on, on one of the At-Large lists regarding this initiative. And obviously there was a lot of discussion also in At-Large since the presentations that we had over in Dublin, they're concerned. And I'm glad that Jean-Jacques has touched on this. And I know that Adam has also mentioned this.

The concern regarding splitting At-Large into different groups is one which is brought by the fact that we do have that diversity and we are able to therefore discuss things among more than one category of player, if you want. And I guess, this is my take on this by the way, my personal take on this, is there is a concern that if there is this initiative for Civil Society, that those in Civil Society, those ALSs that point themselves or [inaudible] themselves as being, or designate themselves as being Civil Society, would get benefits that At-Large structures that are not noting themselves as Civil Society would not get.

So by promoting one type of At-Large structure, you might unfortunately un-promote, or should we say leave off another type of At-Large structure. And there is a concern that this will produce different levels of At-Large structures, if you want, those that are going to benefit from further CROPP or funding and so on, and others that will not.

So it is indeed very important that non-Civil Society At-Large structures also find a home, and I'm glad to hear about the fact that have been other initiatives, but so far, I note that we have not been, as a community, or at least I'm not aware of At-Large being contacted by any initiatives either whether it's business or technical community. And I gather for us, we've been having a discussion on whether there are businesses in At-Large, and I think we've seen that it is mostly, it's all nonprofits.

But certainly, technical community, there are quite a few of them. So that's one point, and I think it is important to note this. The second, the overall point of view in At-Large is sometimes not aligned with Civil

Society, on many of the ICANN issues. So there is a concern about this initiative being seen as, or being used as a channel for policy discussions, because At-Large, when you look at it and involve it in any policy discussions, is really an advisory committee that is independent of whatever policy, so things that are happening in the GNSO.

So it's just a channel for policy discussions, or are we dealing here just with a channel for support of Civil Society as a whole? Support in various ways, both logistically but also when it comes down to the IGF, etc. I do remind you that we have several RALOs that have had IGF workshops, and they were not specifically Civil Society or any other category. They were quite used as well.

And finally, last question is, are the different communities which you described mutually exclusive? Because here again, some of our At-Large structures are both part of the technical community, but also in Civil Society. And that's one thing which I wondered, can they be part of more than one initiative? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. This is Dev. I see Jean-Jacques has a hand raised. Go ahead.

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL: Thank you. This is Jean-Jacques coming back. So on the first point, in terms of [inaudible] so I think Olivier, you address it already yourself, which is the idea is that hopefully [inaudible] ICANN's engagement team would cover all stakeholder groups. So you know, the part of ALAC

which might describe itself as [inaudible] technical community or business community, should be able to be engaged in other outreach activities.

And then one of the very practical ways we can do is make sure that, for instance, going forward we have more [inaudible] one might say in [inaudible], of your outreach team, and we can make the links, and also I can make sure also that I pass on, raise this with Chris Mondini who leads the engagement, so have those ALSs that might describe themselves as business, to have them in mind and to try and think of them when he's planning [inaudible]...

We can make that work very practically. And I think in a way we can look at the strategy all around. It's not much looking at our communities within ICANN, and the way we are structured within ICANN, but going out there. So that might be events which are inherently multistakeholder, like the national IGF.

And if we go there, we'll talk to all sorts of audiences. We'll talk to all of the different stakeholder groups. But, we might be going to, for instance, a conference that is organized by Civil Society actors, by NGOs or which is focused on NGOs. So in those cases, it would be great to be able to work with At-Large structures and At-Large people who are, who feel that they are part of Civil Society, that's not to the detriment to the others.

We see that we are addressing a particular audience, and so in similar cases if, just as an example, we organized an ICANN session, and ICANN outreach session at the event for the [inaudible] community, like a NOG

for instance, a Network Operators Group meeting, then you know, perhaps we can think about joining in ALS members who feel that they are more on the technical side. So we can make it work, but I think it's the sort of thing that we can announce on a practical level, for instance, by taking part in your calls and making sure we find the right synergy.

And I think Adam [inaudible] on the calendar already, so I think the calendar will be something that we can work on to [inaudible] those links. I'll stop here. I hope I've answered some of the points raised by Olivier.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Jean-Jacques. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record. Jean-Jacques, as you all know, along with Heidi, I am a supporter of this, in principle in particular to get, as you said, synergies up and operating as best as possible. But I'm also somebody who straddles these worlds, not on ways very comfortably, over more than a decade. From the one line of how many can you wish, you know, as one leads from technical to more traditional over to Civil Society, to what is clearly in many cases, industries and non-Civil Society.

We need to watch our language. We need to be aware of the tension. We need to be very cautious about simply using the words that so many others have used before, because were tensions exist, and they do exist as Olivier admirably pointed out, just to give one example of the policy

aspects, we will risk falling into traps otherwise. So I see WSIS language, I see an IGF language, I see a language that I start to shudder, as a card carrying member of the noncommercial stakeholders group, and not as a member deliberately so, of the noncommercial stakeholders group.

[Inaudible] We need to be really careful that people don't make assumptions that we are just using, you know, GNSO categories, or just traditional ICANN categories, which have not always aligned with things that are more familiar coming from an IGF, absolutely supportive, but let's be really, really, really careful about the language, the exact choice of words we're using.

The synergy language excellent, the category language, we need to be a lot more careful, at least in my view. And it's always interesting to see that because in some cases, some Civil Society organizations, here I'm talking the more purer parts of them, fewer categories of them, feel very defensive about many things that, or even local governments influence.

And that doesn't always translate well across all of our regions, and if we're trying to globalize, we've got to be really, you know, very, very clever about how we do that. I certainly, you know, as one of the seven people who sat in a room and came up with these, the name of what is now best, how we came up with it, where we tried to give a forum for a number of clearly Civil Society organizations to share and to facilitate, it can be done.

That is, it is an important piece of work, but we have to be very cautious, very careful, and they are used [inaudible], and we just have

to stay there and make sure we don't continue on [inaudible] sort of understand that this is not about policy and partitioning, it is about sending an opportunity. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Cheryl. This is Dev Anand again. Thanks Cheryl for those comments, and indeed those comments also from Olivier, and I think we got some greater feedback from Jean-Jacques and Adam on this. So I do want to move on to the discussion, because I think we've already documented our comments, Jean-Jacques and Adam have responded, any final thoughts or comments? Observations?

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL: Just a final quick word?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. Go ahead.

JEAN-JACQUES SAHEL: Thank you. For the record, Jean-Jacques. And so I [inaudible] policy so Olivier has [inaudible]. The idea is very much, this is outreach. We're not supposed to touch policy, it's also I think we can discuss policy and fit it into our [inaudible], this is not the idea. So when I mention policy by way of explaining the relevance of our work, this is different.

This is clearly distinct from the policy work, it should be, of course exactly like [inaudible] member [inaudible], for us it is important to

maintain that distinction. This is not another forum for policy discussion. And the other thing I wanted to say, just in terms of going forwards, so we'd like to welcome on a very practical aspect of things going forward, so we've had a lot of comments now, what we like to do is have this strategy of current version that we work from, and start rolling out some of the [inaudible].

So really working on some of the events, and also an important, working on some of the content. So we've seen some really great input circulated and then [inaudible] documents that, you know, I think we need to delve on those. Some of them, we didn't know they existed, so that's wonderful. We can reuse them. Maybe we can take integration from them.

Anyway, that's the sort of stuff that we would like to work on with you all. We'll do the whole of the concerned community in a few weeks, and meet up in Marrakesh face to face for a catch up of what's going on there. We need to work on the detail. And then for, you know, I think the strategy should remain a living document to an extent. So there are a number of items that we need to continue discussing, some issues of principle, etc.

I think we should keep them at the agenda items, things that we need to [inaudible], and then we can make sure we include them in a revised strategy as we progress. So yeah, I hope that some of you will be able to join us for the webinar or the online discussion on Wednesday, this Wednesday coming up. But we will have other sessions, working sessions to work together on this approach. And I hope that you'll have me again and other in future calls of this outreach working group so

that we can have [inaudible], make sure we, yeah, we maximize the access of what we're doing together. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Jean-Jacques. And indeed, let's ensure that we have great synergy when we this Civil Society engagement is being implemented. Okay, thank you, thank you again Jean-Jacques, Adam. Let's move on now to the next agenda item, which is ideas for engagement strategies.

Now, although we focus a lot on outreach, we are the outreach and engagement strategies. And so engagement means, just to recap, is how do we ensure that our existing members in the At-Large community are engaged in the RALO and in At-Large. So we have started off with a Wiki page, and Maureen has made some extensive comments, and some key ideas.

Perhaps, Maureen, if you're able to take the floor, you could just voice what some of the ideas you're thinking of.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Dev. This is Maureen for the record. There was actually, on our engagement services, there was considerable discussion by a few of us, and I really do appreciate having those ideas because they sort of like also help us with the new meeting strategy ideas and engagement as well.

But from the perspective of ALSs and prospective ALSs, you know, we decided that, you know, like engagement has to start from the word go. And one of the things that, one of the ideas that came up was that

perhaps that an understanding of what engagement might be when they actually become ALSs, could be part of the registration process.

And that perhaps perspective ALSs should be asked to check the [inaudible]. And I think Ariel has got it, that markup page that she's sort of like considering for the website, is that anyone who is considering application for accreditation as an ALS needs to be very well versed in what those expectations are before they actually make an application, and the application to a site that they had actually do that.

But I think that was sort of like probably one of the concerns. I think too one of the things that we were discussing was webinars, and although, I think webinars are great, the webinar program we've got with the capacity building group and with, even with the now [inaudible] APRALO, APAC, capacity building group, there is some really great material coming out of those webinars, but unfortunately when it comes to the number of people who attend those webinars, we're not quite making, we're not quite reaching our mark.

So you know, a lot of advertising within the RALOs and... So we need to find some other way of getting that information out to our ALSs. And I think this is one of the reasons why Glenn and I have actually been working sort of like just something that was of interest to us and we're looking at e-books.

And putting the webinar information into e-books. So that actually have been rereading the transcripts of the webinars, and they are so interesting. And I sort of like think they're a valuable resource and they really should be out there in some form. So we've been working on

these, and we've got a prototype of an e-book, well a number of e-books done. [Vin?] has done some great work with developing posters and videos on this. And we can post those online for you to view at your leisure.

One of the other things that came up in the engagement strategies work space was the possibility of doing surveys for ALSs. And again, I don't think we're meeting our mark with surveys either, because of why they don't attend webinars, and I don't think the reasons are the same. And it all sort of boils down, I think, in the discussions with some of the, within the APRALO region for example, which is so expensive.

There is always a part of committing to Internet, just to actually attend the webinars, the time difference is always an issue for meetings, webinars, anything. And then we've got the language barriers. So I know that we're trying to address those, but they are an issue. So that's from me, and at least for now, any questions, I'm glad to take them.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Maureen, this is Dev. And I think you summarized the key comments made for the ideas of engagement and notably some of the challenges: you touched on language, the webinars, how do we get that content available to people in a form for persons finding about the webinar afterwards. You know, so you mentioned the e-books idea and so forth.

Are there any thoughts or comments on this?

I see Glenn has his hand raised. Glenn, go ahead. And then Cheryl and then Heidi.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, in addition to... Okay. Just to compliment what Maureen is saying. E-books are a no-brainer, because they're available and readable on formats on other than just PDF, and they're interactive. But as you can see, Alfredo has been suggesting short three to five minute videos, but one of the things that I provided as a link is an example, and this is suggested to us by Harold [Arcos], ISOC, as short infographics.

And the one I provided is a little history on the Internet. So we need less reading and more interesting graphics. This stuff is very readable, very sharable. The program I used easily is, you can save it as a PDF as well as JPEG. They're easily shared. You could put HTML linking in it, all of which is quite valuable.

So these are just additional tools. That's all.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thanks Glenn. This is Dev. These are graphics that makes it easier for outreach purposes, in terms of like sharing on social media, etc. and not just engagement. Cheryl and then Heidi. Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Dev. It's Cheryl for the record. I have my microphone slightly better adjusted so the interpreters this time. What I think is happening

with the e-books... I love the idea, as you all know, I think that anything that we can do to reuse the valuable resources we keep producing into more useable resources, I'm also the reduce, reuse, and recycle principle here.

But it does strike me particularly with the language neutral advantage of infographics, but we could also go back, and as some people have suggested in the past, using just the audio tracks, the really edited form, for more concise or even just voice over to aspects of things that we want to have in smaller, bite sized pieces.

But it seems to me that one of the advantages of having a language neutrality would also be that that would act as a visual resource, that we could put various soundbites, for want of a better word, and I just don't mean 30 second grabs here, but perhaps that's up to the five and 10 minutes short videos that Harold was referring to, and [inaudible] is very good at doing.

But they can be a series of one, two, or three and perhaps specific infographics using the audio, if it is a good enough, or if not the transcript, which could be reread or re-voiced over to make another product work. Now if that is the case, if that is a possibility, than I think that we could work in local languages as well.

And I think that's got a lot going for it. You could actually provide the script, the authorized script, for want of a better word, along with the graphical bells and whistles that can go with it, and we can have sort of the equivalent of my favorite thing which of course is audio books.

You know, but it hinges on the professionalism and good editing of the final product. So for example, I don't enjoy my audio books anywhere near as much as it were me listening to somebody like me drone on, with my lack of professional voice. But if I'm listening to a voice actor play the role of my audio book, I have an enriched and engaging experience.

So I think there is a lot that we can do with all of it. Okay? Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, if you're speaking, you're on mute.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just go for it Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [CROSSTALK] I'll just stop again and just, Heidi go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Dev. Thank you Cheryl. Thank you very much for this. This is really... I'm really pleased to see that At-Large is taking the initiative on this and getting ideas together for engagement strategies. It fits in with a lot of activities that only At-Large are doing [inaudible] in the ALS engagement expectations and criteria, where you're trying to get them more engaged, but also from initial work that staff has been putting together, called for the stakeholder journey.

And this is basically how to ensure that newcomers and even more people who have been around for a while, are just not that engaged. How they get more engaged. So if I might suggest that we invite Christopher Mondini from the GSE staff, he's the one leading that from the staff side, and just to the next call, invite him to the next call, to see how...

To have a little bit more information on how we can include this information into that project. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Heidi. I think that's a good idea. So you can make that an action item, to invite Chris Mondini on the next call. Okay.

So thanks Heidi. So this is Dev. So we do have an idea that yes, we want a communication, I guess trying to summarize, a communication plan that isn't just emails and very long PDFs, but trying to make the information more digestible, more relevant, accessible in terms of languages.

So we want to come up with that type of communications plan. I do also note, I decided to put it in this part of the agenda was about this part of the get involved page of that's going to be part of the new At-Large website. Currently it's in mockup form, and what I think what we do need to do is to, well let's see if we can take a look at it...

I believe Laura Bengford and [inaudible] are on the call, to perhaps just give an overview of just what this get involved mockup is about. I see

Ariel is already showing her screen. So who is going to take the floor to address the get involved mockup.

ARIEL LIANG: Dev, this is Ariel for the record. I'm just going to quickly introduce this page, and now I ask Jeff to lead the conversation. And the main idea we're going to do this [inaudible]... Can you see the mockup right now on the screen?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thanks Dev. Ariel again. So when we did the webinar last Wednesday, we quickly touched upon the new version of the mockup, and then we realized we didn't have enough time have a conversation with our community and gather more feedback, so that's why we appreciate the time allocated to discuss this new version of the mockup.

And I'm just quickly referring to what Heidi mentioned earlier about the stakeholder journey. This mockup was designed based on that idea and we divided the intersections that targeting people off of different interest or knowledge level of ICANN and At-Large communities.

So that was kind of [inaudible] off, that's a stakeholder journey. So now I'll let Jeff take over. Jeff, are you connected on audio?

JEFF SALEM: I am. Can everybody hear me okay?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, we can hear you.

JEFF SALEM: Okay. This is Jeff Salem for the record. User experience designer at ICANN. And I'll first point out that there are prior versions of this page that are available on the community Wiki. If you don't have the links for that, we can have Ariel and myself will type it into the chat in a bit so that you can take a look at the previous versions.

There were some issues basically with, basically too much content we were trying to present in those earlier versions. So this version is a more streamlined approach to those pages. And that said, I think we should just dive into this page.

So, as Ariel was saying, we kind of split the page into three kind of bands to talk, that reflect the different levels of engagement within the At-Large and the community. The first band being new users. So you'll see that at the very top of the page, we have a section for, that explicitly introduces the subject of new At-Large where we kind of acknowledged what At-Large is, and offer learning materials to get the ball rolling for those new users.

So these would obviously point to learn dot ICANN material and other supportive materials that introduce what At-Large is, and give a little more information on to, how At-Large fits into the multistakeholder model, and how users can kind of get involved from the very beginning.

The next kind of areas is actually listed into two subsections. We've got how to contribute, and then current volunteer opportunities. So the first section, how to contribute, gets to kind of the, a little bit of what you were talking about in the earlier conversation, about where users fit within the stakeholder, within the journey.

Because there are kind of two paths that users can take. One being simply diving into a working group, whether that be more of an administrative group, that kind of supports At-Large, or actual working groups that are engaged in policy development.

And then there is the alternate path of more formal engagement where users are encouraged to actually join or you know, join an ALS or include their ALS within a RALO. And as I said, take a more formal approach to engagement within the At-Large community. So join an ALS, get involved in a working group, in a more formal aspect.

And so to me, you know, I've been at ICANN a little over six months now, but it's still a little confusing as a general user which path I want to take. So I wanted to include this content here, to provide an outlet for you guys to communicate that. You know, what is the difference between diving into a working group and what is a more formal approach.

So while this content is [inaudible] at the moment, I wanted to present an opportunity to, you know, present what is that distinction between these two kind of levels of engagement. And then below that, you'll see the current volunteer opportunities, present basically what are those

specific opportunities, whether they're more administrative focused, or their more formal policy development centric.

So within this section, you'll see that we've got a list of groups. We won't call them working groups because like I said, these could include more administrative focused groups, but basically it's an aggregate of any and all volunteer opportunities. So you'll see, there is a band at the top that allows filtering of this list. To the very left of that band, we've got sponsoring orgs.

This could include At-Large as a whole or specific RALOs that users can look at specific groups that are applicable to their constituency. And then to the right of that we've got group pipe. So this provides an outlet for you to distinguish between more administrative focused groups, you know, PDP working groups here listed. And then to the right of that, you've got a filter that allows you to apply topic taxonomy tags to those groups.

So for instance if you have a group that focuses primarily on WHOIS, you can filter groups by WHOIS and see the relevant groups there. And then to the right of that, we've got a mechanism to allow you to include inactive and archived groups that aren't currently active, but are still applicable to the topic that you're interested in.

So obviously below that, we've got a list of all of the groups. On the left hand column, you'll see some lock icons. These are meant to represent groups that are somewhat closed. You know, while they are open to anyone, they may involve certain expertise or vetting to get involved in the group.

So we want to acknowledge and represent that to users that they're aware that this group may not be applicable to them, or there is some sort of hurdle that they need to accomplish in order to become more engaged in that group.

And then finally at the bottom of the page, you'll see very engaged users, who may want to investigate leadership opportunities, we can introduce that topic and say that there are leadership opportunities available to them, but link them directly to either the ALAC page or the RALO pages that talk about, that introduce the leaders and talk about those leadership opportunities.

So that being said, I'm going to take a step back and talk a little bit more about this working list above. So, actually, yeah if you could... As Ariel has got this detail. We can keep it here and I'll introduce this a little more. So this, both the lists of working groups and this working group detail are actually wireframes taken from another project that we're working on within digital services.

We're actually engaged with GNSO, developing an application for recruitment and management of working groups. So while that project is underway, we're still in the middle of it, but it's far enough along that we can borrow design elements from it. So both list and this working group detail page are wireframes taken from that project, that I think that we can leverage now to make this page a lot better than it was in the past.

So you saw the list, this page is a detail of the working group, where you can see, you know, a little more information that we have been

presented in the past. On this page, obviously, you can see the title of the working group, who is sponsoring the working group. In this case, you know this is sponsored by both the GNSO and At-Large.

And we can include information about what's driving the creation of this working group, whether it be ALAC or other mechanism to the Board, input to the Board, the ICANN Board, requesting more work surrounding a specific area. Or it could be, on a second line, I've got directed for an actual Board resolution that says, ICANN, or At-Large, or GNSO should create a working group to work on this topic of interest, etc.

And you'll see below that, we've got some [inaudible] copy here that represents a closed membership group who would actually specify what are those elements that are needed to become engaged in this group, be it a vetting process, or a level of expertise, etc. that you're looking for members to actually join this group.

And then it's a little hard to read, but we've got a link there that would be basically be a link to the secretariat so that somebody could join this group, or inquire about joining the group if they feel that they have a level of expertise that warrants being included in the group.

And then obviously, we've got links to the Wiki workspace and the mailing list archive, which we're calling a forum here. So again, this is, these are two screens that are taken from this greater working group project. So while in the future, these pages would include a lot more functionality surrounding actually joining the group, and getting you

know, more involved in the group, finding out about the rostering of the group, level of attendance, etc.

Right now, I think, we can leverage these screens to present a list of what are those groups that I can join, and provide a little more detail surrounding those groups. So that does it. I'll send it back to Ariel, see if she has anything more to add, and then we can open it up for questions.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks Jeff. This is Ariel speaking. I think we can just open the floor for questions or comments.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank Ariel, thanks Jeff. I do have some comments, but any comments from the group?

Okay. Well this is Dev. One thing I do note is that, one I think the way... I do see a hand raised, but let me just make my comment and then I'll turn it over to Christopher.

So I guess one comment I do have to make. I like how it is, the onboarding is done. You have to get new to At-Large, ICANN, what is that about? You have that section. And then you have the various working groups. I think the challenge is, in my mind, is that persons have to really dive in and click onto each one as to what working group they're interested in, until they can decide on what working group they are interested in or not.

I mean, I see that there is a topic selection, and I suppose that helps. But I'm just, I have to admit another way of framing it, or how this could be done. I have to think about this some more. And to see perhaps there is some way, maybe a text search type of, you know, box.

And what are you interested in? And then when you do that search, it then comes up, okay, because you typed in WHOIS, or registrant issues, these are the working groups that maybe relevant. That type of thing. So, Christopher, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

You may be muted Christopher. If you're on the Adobe bridge, star seven to go off mute.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes we can. Go ahead.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Well that's... Sorry about the technical delay. And apologies for joining the call late. I've skimmed the document that you sent us, and it's very interesting. Actually the document on screen, in the pod, it's almost illegible. But anyway. My question is, why does ICANN have two Civil Society forums?

You have NCUC inside the GNSO, and you have At-Large. I don't understand why you need two. I think NCUC has some excellent

individuals working in it, but contribution to user interests and Civil Society is usually neutralized by the presence in the GNSO. So why do you have two Civil Society forums in ICANN?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Christopher. This is related to an earlier topic that we already discussed with Jean-Jacques Sahel, in terms of working together to have [inaudible]... So I'm not sure I want to really answer that topic at this point, unfortunately. We could probably try to respond to you after the call. But we've already allocated about 20 minutes to it to the topic, and we need to move on to these other issues.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: I'll just leave the question on the table, because I think it effects, fundamentally effects the balance of user interests in ICANN.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that. So this is Dev again. Going back to the mockup. So the mockups are already up on the Wiki page, correct? And...

ARIEL LIANG: Yes Dev. This is Ariel.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, excellent. I'll invite everybody to make their comments on the mockup. So I'll invite everyone to make the comments on the Wiki page, on the mockup. So thanks to Ariel and Jeff. Glenn, I think, Glenn

and Alfredo have also been working on an informal... I see Jeff has one hand... Go ahead Jeff.

You may be muted Jeff.

JEFF SALEM: Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yup, now we can.

JEFF SALEM: Okay. I wanted to direct Ariel to ICANN dot org, if she could pull that up.

The community page.

We do have this mechanism here at the top of the page that we've implemented as kind of a band aid, and so we make further improvements to ICANN dot org. Where we have, I think, something similar to what you were saying. Where we take more user centric approach based on their background, and clicking on one of these actually effects the content displayed below.

So Ariel, if you want to click on any one of those. You can see actually any of the topics for this. For instance, government. You can see the content below changes, and you can see the SO ACs that are applicable based on kind of your expertise. We could apply a similar mechanism to

that working group page, and in fact, I intend to take a similar approach in the future.

As I said, we're currently in the middle of our engagement with that working group project. So it will kind of adapt over time, and we're making more significant, broader changes to ICANN dot org in regards to the overarching architecture as well. So we'll be applying a mechanism similar to this, to the working group page.

But I would suggest basically incorporating that in a future implementation of this page. For the time being, launch something similar to what we presented earlier. And once that working group application is fully fleshed out, we can engage At-Large and make sure that your requirements are included, if there are any requirements that extend beyond GNSO.

And then actually implement the actual functional application to At-Large at that time, so that it's no longer just a simple list of working groups, but an actual recruitment and rostering tool that you guys can use.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Jeff. This is Dev. I wasn't even aware that this page existed on the ICANN dot org website, so I think we'll definitely have to go through it and take... Some interesting ideas in there. So thanks for pointing this out. It's a good thing that we had set aside 90 minutes for this call. One other thing, to tie up on the engagement strategies.

Glenn and Alfredo have been working on an approach for engagement. Can that be shown in the pod? And pass to Glenn, either you or Alfredo, can take us through it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, sure can. It's Glenn. So while it's loading up, as I said earlier on, the key communication to the wider community is small, little infographics, which summarizes a lot of content that is normally written in our brochures and on our website. So this infographic, while it's loading, is available in either PDF format or in JPEG.

The infographics are easily altered and changed and adapted. I put this out, I believe, last night or the night before, just to play with it, the concept of a roadmap, and subsequent to that, unbeknownst to me, Alfredo turned it around and created a phenomenal video, using the tool Sparkle.

So I want to show you the PDF first, and then if Terri, the link was provided in the discussion thread earlier on, on Sparkle. But I still don't see the PDF.

TERRI AGNEW:

Hi Glenn. This is Terri. And the PDF is uploading now. Apologies for the delay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Yeah, no problem, thanks. And the reason it's cut off on the right hand sign, it does have grid line marks and I didn't, obviously I didn't do

this. Okay. So I did a good job. The idea is step by step, a very simple graphic from someone who is, has zero knowledge and then going all the way up, hopefully, to a level of them getting involved and engaged.

And I'd like to turn to Alfredo. Alfredo, are you online? Can you talk about your video?

Terri do you have the link? Can you play it in the center box?

TERRI AGNEW:

Glenn, this is Terri. I apologize. I will not be able to play the audio.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Can you play the video part?

So the link I provided is a link to the YouTube. Don't worry about the audio, because it's just standard music. We want to do a voiceover of this tool, but I'm just asking Alfredo, just to give a little background on what Sparkle is.

I believe that he uses it at the University of Puerto Rico. He also translated, okay, go ahead Alfredo.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Okay. Sparkle is a tool that you use, this is Alfredo for the record. Sparkle is a tool that you can use to take percentages as a way that you create a video, in any format that you want. The cool thing about it is that you set it up in such a way that you can determine the length of the graphic, the graphic or the text that you want people to see on screen.

And you can also do a voiceover. It's a shame that we can't show you the short video that I did responding to this info graph that I saw, which I liked a lot, and I said well, let's turn it around. I can convert it into a short video that, I think it's 80 seconds. If we add to that a voiceover, somebody that has a really nice pleasant voice, and set it up in such a way that, as we see each one of the steps, you can hear somebody talking to you about the steps, that will be an added value to this approach.

So basically...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It looks like, oh here we go.

ALFREDO CALDERON: It didn't start at the beginning, but the idea is that it will take you step by step through the process, instead of using an info graph, you can hear somebody talking to you about each one of the steps you have to follow, in order to reach or be at a stage where you're successful.

So the idea, this is something that I think is key, is that we need to be aware that we need different approaches, and we have to have sort of something cleared to each one of our members and future volunteers, for those that are visual, for those that audio, etc.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for sharing the screen and being able to show the video of the YouTube, if not the audio. But as I said, I think the audio is just

simply a music soundtrack. So first of all, thanks Glenn and Alfredo. I think actually, this is very interesting concepts. And I think this goes well, the short, a very short commercial like that teases to get people involved and just pull themselves, dip their toes further into the At-Large water so to speak.

Any thoughts or comments? I think some persons... Generally I think most people like it. Any other thoughts Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

We welcome any feedback. I believe Dev, you made some comments on some of the wording. This is very easy to change. And you're welcome, all the stuff... We have about 30 info graphics, everything from malware to how the Internet is founded, to an overview of the Twitter. All of the sort of teaser stuff is, when it's saved on different formats, it could be shut out to your network, put on your Facebook.

This is content that is very digestible, and it's like drawing a rock in the water. It can skip, and you hopefully, you never know how it can be picked up by other people. And as you said earlier, some people come in, they need to decide where they want to test the water. This might be something that gives them a little taste before they delve into it a little bit deeper.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay great. Thanks Glenn. I see Ariel, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks Dev. This is Ariel for the record. Just related to what Glenn showed the info graphic and the video. Let you guys know that the long term vision, we will use a multimedia library for the new website. So similar type of outreach material like the video, the info graphics, e-books and those things can be posted.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Excellent. Thanks Ariel. Okay. Just one more comment on this engagement strategy, and we do really need to move on. And I guess perhaps we do need to have an action item to really, because I know that there is a new ICANN Learn, I'm wondering whether the ICANN Learn can also be used as part of this communications plan that we are coming with.

But I don't think we'll have time to really delve into that now. But that's just to mention to [inaudible] for the next call. I see Heidi has her hand raised. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you Dev. Very quickly, would you like me to invite Jeff [inaudible], who is the person leading ICANN Learn for the next call as well?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly. I think that will be, yup.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And I will also, this is Heidi again, I will also show him this video and see if we can get those on ICANN Learn. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Excellent. Thank you. So let's move ahead through this. FY 17 budget proposal. So, and I guess this is coming up to something that was discussed earlier. Glenn had started off a discussion on the Wiki as to possible FY 17 budget ideas. And one of the things that came out in discussion from last week's call, and it's something regarding, you know, having materials for the travelers at outreach events, getting those materials to those travelers, and was there the possibility of having a local printing.

And then the travelers being reimbursed for that local printing content. And one of the things that I realized was, you know, that there is an ATLAS recommendation specifically which talks about this. This is ATLAS recommendation number 40, which says that the At-Large should be able to apply for short-term funding in a manner similar to CROPP.

So I'm thinking, so this would mean that the ALAC, and I guess other ACs and SOs, but we're focusing more on the ALAC At-Large, would have its own set of, a small set of discretionary funds, that it is able to issue in terms of, in the short-term rather than having to wait for an entire physical year.

This issue has been brought up in previous ICANN face to face meetings in chance with the ALAC in particular, the ALAC Board meeting in the ICANN 53 at Buenos Aires, which talked about well, the visa challenges that the person had and there was no way for that person to get the

visa in time, because they had an immediate payment that could not be paid, and for that reason, that traveler could not attend.

What Fadi had suggested was that... So what Fadi had suggested was that the ALAC, if the ALAC had a small fund, they could respond to emergencies like this. And my point is that perhaps, if we make a budget request to ask for that sort of discretionary fund, we can have a system whereby RALOs could apply for those funds, to do local printing and so forth.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Olivier, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Dev. It's Olivier speaking. What happens if it's refused?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well this is Dev. I guess that's what happens when FY 17 budget requests are also refused. But I mean, my point is will be that [CROSSTALK]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If I can come to you Dev, it's Olivier speaking. I'm asking this because if I recall correctly, I think NARALO had asked for something maybe not quite that, but something quite similar. Glenn might know a lot more about this. And it was refused. So we have to, I think the first step

really is to take Fadi to his word, and basically say so, what process do we move forward to be able to have that kind of funds allocated.

I'm not sure the extra budget requests are going to work like this, because that effectively, what we're always told is, "Well, if you're going to get budget for this, you're not going to get budget for that." And for something that so far we haven't had to pay for out of the budget, if you want, taking it out of any other budget, because it has been supplied by ICANN, I'm a little concerned that if we make a budget request for this, and it gets, [inaudible] allocated, but then we don't get any allocation for a workshop at IGF, or a RALO face to face assembly or something like that.

That's what I'm concerned about. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Olivier. This is Dev. I see quite a few hands raised here. I see Glenn and then Heidi.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glenn for the record. A couple of things. I don't see any harm submitting an idea of local discretionary funds for a RALO. It allows funds to be spent on local things as opposed to CROPP. CROPP is a great program, but it means getting on a plane, going somewhere else, being there for two days or three days, and getting out.

This fund is really designed for the local ALSs in your community, in your city, in your region, no flights, no airfare. I remember IETF was in Toronto, and it was a suggestion by one of our ALSs, the ISOC San

Francisco to go to the IETF, and the reaction was, that doesn't make any sense. We have local people, why don't they go?

Yeah, but who is going to pay for the registration? Who is going to pay for the parking? Who is going to pay for a lot of the incidentals out of your pocket? Because there is no mechanism to compensate you for local outreach. So the idea with this is that you don't have to go with cap in hand, there is discretionary fund, controlled by the RALO and are earmarked for things that are not a big CROPP stuff.

So we put a proposal together. Two points. One is it's a follow up to Fadi's public statement of \$10,000. Second of all, it's the ATLAS 2 recommendation. So we need to submit it. I think we have two solid reasons to do it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Glenn. I see there are several hands raised so I'll defer my comments. Heidi and then Cheryl.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Dev. Two points on this. The first one is that I just want to make sure that everyone is aware that there are funds for these types of events, in terms of visas, for communications for example, for brochures, etc. Since Buenos Aires, on the visa, even those people who were not able to come to Buenos Aires because of visa issues, were able to come to Dublin because there was much more flexibility in terms of ICANN covering visa application costs, etc., including flights.

Again on the fiscal year 16 budget for communications, there was funds available for community brochures, etc. And in fact, as I'll be talking to you in a few minutes, At-Large is getting several RALO brochures in this fiscal year.

On the second point, if you do go ahead and decide to submit requests like this, it might be useful to know, I believe, Xavier Calvez the CFO, will be invited to an FBFC call early next year, to look at the request, the preliminary request to submit it or being discussed by At-Large, by the FBFC.

And I think his feedback on this would be very important. Thank you Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Heidi. Cheryl. I do realize we're coming to the top of the half hour. So keep your interventions short.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Cheryl for the record. And I've tried to adjust my mic yet again. Look, I like the principle here, but I am equally concerned with, as Olivier said might I suspect, in cake cutting exercise which we always end up doing with budget. And Olivier and I, along with some other leaders in the ALAC history, deeply involved in ICANN's budget from a community and stakeholder engagement point of view.

We spent a lot of time looking at how this cake will be carved, and there is only so much cake. So something is always given up for something to be given. I do have a problem I have, and this is where I would suggest

perhaps turning things sort of slightly on its head, having the discretionary fund model used for specific purposes, I think is a good way forward. I get a little worried when I see in control of the RALO, and allocated to the RALO, because I would think having anything as a discretionary fund that is divisible by n equals a number of RALOs equally, is a small sensible to do it.

So that with just like CROPP, you have cross-RALO and ALAC cooperation on the agreements or the level of disagreements, in most cases, as to how these equitable bunches of funding can be looked at. I'm very concerned that we don't end up with a greater or lesser supported RALO.

What I think is in principle the intent is good, but how we do it is going to be very carefully managed. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Cheryl. This is Dev. Olivier, I see your hand raised.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Dev. Olivier speaking. A quick one. I just put the ATLAS 2 recommendation in the chat. That's where the whole recommendation stems from, and I believe the best way to implement this, is to ask that this fund, this whatever amount it is that Fadi has said there should be and so on, should be allocated to Heidi and for Heidi to be able to allocate in relation to whatever costs there are.

I certainly think that Heidi is senior enough to be able to administer such a fund, not only that, I also believe that she has the best way, the

best understanding of the RALOs, and also the resources that At-Large has with regards to printing and all of these things.

If she can find out a cheaper way to get things to get done, what we're actually doing, is saving ICANN money. So we shouldn't going down on our knees to actually ask for additional funding and additional budget requests, because that's not an additional budget request. That's a savings. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. This is Dev. So, we've come up to the top of the half hour here. So I think we're going to have to take the discussion regarding the FY 17 budget proposal, you know, online, on the Wiki page there.

Glenn you have a hand raised, so you have to make it very quick.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I'm not in disagreement with Cheryl or Olivier. It doesn't really matter who manages the funds. [Inaudible] in the hands of staff, I'm fine. It's just that we have to remember, going to cap in hand, but if we know there is some discretionary funds for local activities that expedite it and that we have that engagement outreach tool, remember this call is outreach and engagement, and without a tool to do what we need to do, it's pointless because it's only by the discretion of someone who is going to something that says, oh, I'll bring some brochures along.

But that's not the [inaudible] reason. So I'm comfortable either way. I'm not saying we try to build empires, I'm just saying let's have the funds to do the job.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Glenn. And on that note, I think we can probably end of the call. I would like to thank everyone for attending this call. It was a very informed discussion, and it probably could have gone on for another half hour. So I would like to thank the interpreters, and thanks all of staff. I believe this will be the last conference call for the year, so season's greetings.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, this is Heidi. Just to note, did we cover item six, or did you want me to carry that over for the next meeting?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. We'll have to, I think, cover this online, because [inaudible], the interpreters have been on the call for 90 minutes already.

Again, thanks everyone, season's greetings, Merry Christmas, best wishes for the year. And let's continue the discussion online. Thank you all. This call is now adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]