
TERRI AGNEW: Certainly. One moment while we begin. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement taking place on Monday, the 7th of December, 2015, at 18:00 UTC.

On the English channel, we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, Lawrence Olawale-Roberts, Juan Manuel Rojas, Glenn McKnight, Alfredo Calderon, Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Siranush Vardanyan, Alan Greenberg, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

On the Spanish channel, we have Harold Arcos. We have listed apologies for Jacqueline Morris. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Yesim Nazlar, Rodrigo de la Parra and myself, Terri Agnew. Our Spanish interpreters today are Veronica and Sabrina.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters. Thank you very much, and back over to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks very much. I see a hand from Heidi. Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Dev. I wanted to take this opportunity to welcome Yesim Nazlar who is a new member of staff. You can see her. She is on the Adobe Connect. She is joining us as AC/SO Coordinator for the At-Large

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

community and the GNSO. She is based in Istanbul. Yesmin, do you want to just say hi?

TERRI AGNEW: Apologies, but Yesim's audio is not activated at this time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Heidi, and welcome, Yesim.

Just to go through the next item on the agenda, just fully acknowledgement for some of you who may not have known, Roosevelt King, a member of the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement who is an At-Large member from Barbados passed away last month. Roosevelt King was very passionate about outreach and engagement. He often made many contributions in LACRALO on the issues that dealt with outreach and engagement, and in particular Caribbean engagement in LACRALO. He was a very strong voice in Caribbean affairs.

That is very, very sudden. I was talking to him literally a week before collaborating on a document. It came as a total shock. I just wanted to acknowledge the contributions he made to At-Large and to this working group.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. I just wanted to echo, having worked with Roosevelt. We started when I was in the ALAC chair. He has contributed greatly and he will be sadly missed.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Hear, hear!

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Indeed. Thank you. Let's proceed with the next item on the agenda. This is a review of action items from our last call. Let me quickly bring up these action items. I think there was not much. It was just two items.

One was, well at the time, Wolf Ludwig would seek a co-chair from EURALO to serve on the ALAC subcommittee. Olivier, as the new EURALO chair, is now co-chair of the Outreach and Engagement. So, welcome Olivier. That was the only action item from the last call.

Let's go right ahead now to the next agenda item, which is updates on changes in the RALO outreach strategies, just to get a sense of what's happening in all of the RALOs.

I see AFRALO is first on the agenda. Daniel, can you take the floor just to give a brief update on what has been happening in AFRALO?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: We can hear you.

DANIEL NANGKAKA: Currently, there is has just concluded the AfriNIC meeting that has been taking place in Congo [inaudible]. We had Tijani and Seun representing AFRALO at the AfriNIC meeting. They're currently waiting for updates to come in from the different [inaudible] that they have had.

Apart from that, currently we are trying to discuss the Marrakech showcase, and I happen to be part of the organizing committee for Marrakech. We're trying to see how we can be able to get more ALSes to get involved in Marrakech since Africa is [inaudible] hosting.

That's a brief about what is taking place in AFRALO. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Daniel. I'm just pausing to see if there are any comments or questions. Daniel, I just have one comment or question. You mentioned that you're helping to organize the AFRALO showcase in Marrakech. Are you aware of how many ALSes from AFRALO are attending Marrakech at this time?

DANIEL NANGKAKA: Currently there was an e-mail that was sent out by [inaudible] asking which ALSes are going to be available in Marrakech. But there was a challenge that ALSes are not sure about [their participation] and the [funding] for AFRALO is limited, so [inaudible] that different ALSes can

be represented in Marrakech. So [inaudible] adequate number of ALSes that are going to be there.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Daniel. I hope you'll get that information soon. Glenn, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Dev. Just a quick question, Daniel. Are you doing a general assembly in Morocco for APRALO?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: In Marrakech, it's going to be the AFRALO showcase. And during that time, there will be different interactions together with the fellows. There will also be a speech by the outgoing president. So there are different activities that will be taking place. But the program hasn't yet been concluded.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. It looks like [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, indeed. Alright. Just a comment, Daniel, also from the chat that there should be a strategic plan to encourage ALSes from AFRALO. Let's see. Thanks, Daniel. For APRALO, Maureen? Well, I see Siranush also. But either Maureen or Siranush, are either of you willing to give an update on what's happening in APRALO?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I'll start just to update what we've actually been doing within APRALO, and I hope that Siranush will chip in at the end of this. Very briefly, to do with the CROPP, for example, we've recently had a CROPP event which was the IGF Brazil event, and two APRALO participants were covered by CROPP.

But I think from a personal experience, I just really appreciate the CROPP program, for example, enabling regional participants to attend these meetings. As a remote participant, I found it really engaging to be able to attend sessions that were taken by APRALO members and to be able to support them, even from a distance. I thought that was really good.

And, of course, it was very engaging having Siranush as a remote moderator to be able to have chats and get a feel of the meeting from someone who was actually involved.

So that's sort of our [inaudible] places, and we have three places. Our final three places are going to be taken up with [inaudible] of the APRICOT meeting in Auckland, New Zealand, in February. And at this is event, we're actually planning on having all our APRALO leaders at this event. Three will be paid by CROPP, and three will be self-funding or getting local sponsorship.

And I think that's going to be a very interesting experience because we're going to be involved in the APTLD meeting the week before the actual conference. So it's going to be a really good event for APRALO.

Siranush, no doubt, will have other things if she's able to speak.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Siranush, yes, we can hear you. Go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Hello and thanks, Maureen, for the update. Indeed, I will agree that all participation in IGF through ICANN budget was not actually through CROPP but it was in our strategy as one of the outreach activities, which we are conducting. And it was really in the sense of meeting our regional partners there and having the chance to discuss with them the upcoming APRICOT participation. And this was also the opportunity for us to agree on some support from them coming for APRALO participation.

And as Maureen mentioned, we are in the process, so we have submitted already CROPP request for APRICOT and are expecting the results and start the visa processes and some other logistics stuff.

APRALO will be having the special workshop at the APTLD meeting, as Maureen mentioned. This is one of the activities which APTLD also involved us to do outreach on APRALO and especially the specific aspect to involve more Pacific Island ccTLDs and involve them also as an ALSes. So I am looking forward to that participation.

And we also have several ALSes doing their activities on local level, and we update it in accordance recently on our APRALO outreach calendar. And also just two or three days ago, we submitted our report on IGF participation, myself and [Satish], and this will be also available through and posted and in our multi reports piece. That much from our side.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you, Siranush. Well, I note that APRALO has used all of its five allocations for CROPP, three going to APRICOT, which was approved by the CROPP Review Team and the Armenian IGF earlier this year. So one comment or question.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: We used two CROPP requests for Armenian IGF and three are submitted for APRICOT. So we didn't hear yet the final okay green light from CROPP Team.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, the green light was given today, so there was an e-mail sent on the CROPP RT list on this.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. great to hear that. Great. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: What was the question? Yes. We have used this term of five slots.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Yes. That is correct.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I can say, I'm sorry, Dev, I just would add to this that the participation in Armenian IGF and report on this was very impressive and very effective. And I am really looking forward to APRICOT as the APRALO Leadership Team will all be there, some on own funding, some on CROPP funding, some on support from our regional partners. So I'm really looking forward to that meeting to have more engagement with our regional partners with APNIC and APTLD there.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Siranush. I do have a question. Perhaps, I'll wait, but since this is something that perhaps applies to all RALOs, I'll will wait for all the RALOs to submit. So in the next RALO, EURALO. Olivier, any updates or comments on EURALO's outreach strategy? Do you wish to share?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev. Such at the moment we haven't made much progress on the strategy, per se. Just to remind you all in the past, we have used our CROPP requests for sending prospective ALSes to the European dialogue on Internet governance, EuroDIG, with the aim to

continue searching for potential At-Large structure in the eastern part of Europe.

Now for a couple of them, it has actually worked and we've had some good expansion in that part of the world, but for others, it has not been such a success. And we are yet to decide on whether this year we will be using the CROPP slots for the same purpose or whether we will be using them to actually send current At-Large structure representatives to other fora, potentially some local Internet governance fora and local forums that deal with issues that we are interested in.

But that discussion hasn't been started yet as such. As you know, I've taken over as chair of EURALO and then I go [immediately] to the Internet Governance Forum immediately afterwards, and so we're catching up on this.

But EURALO is an inherent part of the EuroDIG, which effectively is the European IGF organizing team. And as you know, ICANN has signed and Dublin has signed up with EuroDIG leadership so as to continue being a partner in the process, and it looks as though we might also strengthen the tie between EURALO and EuroDIG, as well.

That's all for the time being. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. I do note that, I guess, from an engagement standpoint, I noticed a lot more persons from EURALO in the working group calls, particularly the Technical Taskforce that I think we had like four or five persons new coming in from EURALO, which is good.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Dev, thank you for reminding me of this. That's quite right. We have benefited from having a general assembly taking place in Dublin, and so there is a renewed interest in being involved in ICANN and in At-Large, and specifically in the working groups. The [inaudible] being that if you're not going to have an unbelievable amount of time on your hands, the best way forward is to start participating in a working group.

So there certainly has been some [influx] from our members, and I'm hoping that we will continue to add more people from this region to other working groups, as well. But as you know, some of the working groups require a significant amount of knowledge to take part in and sometimes, as you know, the ALAC and At-Large working groups are very welcoming. Sometimes, it's a little bit inhibitive for people to join something in which they know absolutely nothing about.

But we are working to convince them that it's not such a huge step forward and if you want to learn about something, the working groups are [something] to do. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Olivier. Okay. well, and now I'll just give a brief update on LACRALO. Well, one of the things we have been trying to do is we haven't really planned any CROPP proposals such as yet. One of the things we have been looking at is how do we update this spreadsheet to track possible persons in the [inaudible] individuals and/or organizations that could be possible At-Large candidates in those countries without At-Large structures?

And we have done a spreadsheet, and I have to say it's not been as updated as all as much as I would like. I've proposed set up, let me just put this this image file, outlining the approach of how to find sources in order so people can take this as a first step to find persons. And what I said was what you do, you research the country for any ICT/IG issues that were commented on, you search for groups and/or persons have commented on ICT/IG issues and also consider searching on social networks for these comments.

And other resources that could be searched was the attendance to various IG forums such as the IGF. For the past five years, the IGF has an attendance list, so perhaps that could be searched to find the relevant participants. The fellowship program, Glenn has put together a spreadsheet that was presented on the last outreach call, and that could be also be used to find persons that attended an ICANN meeting.

And also, the LACNIC meetings, Bartlett Morgan and myself have been adding links to the attendance at those past meetings. LACNIC is probably more technical, but we still find some persons there and at least speaking to those persons, we could probably find other persons.

So that's about it. Any comments or questions on this approach?

Harold Arcos, please go ahead. Harold, we're not hearing anything from the interpreters. Please go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS: Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can. Go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS: So first, I would like to confirm that you're hearing me and I know that you're hearing right now. So thank you very much, Dev. I would like to share with you and with all of you the fact that from [inaudible] Venezuela, we have a record of people collaborating and stakeholders have been very important here, at least during the last two years in Venezuela.

We have been developing different events in Venezuela with active participation, and the registration of those participants has been increasing. So we have more than 300 people participating in events within the Venezuela region, and at the same time, we have a network of regional collaborators in Latin America and the Caribbean who are following online the IG events such the IGF events and ICANN meetings, as well.

So I would like to tell you this, and perhaps I should say that we should coordinate with these stakeholders or interested parties, we should work with them so that we can continue with our debate.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Harold. Indeed, if you are aware of persons or organizations, please update the spreadsheet. You have the editing links to that spreadsheet. So you can make your submissions if you know of persons and/or organizations in those various territories.

And thanks for also mentioning the IGF. A few persons, obviously, from the outreach and engagement committee did attend the IGF in person in Brazil. Carlton Samuels was one, Vanda, and perhaps a few others. I don't know, but I've not heard any feedback as to whether they discovered or made contact with any new persons at the IGF.

So okay. Alright. But thanks for your contribution, Harold. Okay. Well. NARALO, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure. A couple of the updates, our strategic plan has gone to the GSE for feedback. We had only one suggestion. It was the feedback on one of the CROPP trips, which was the South by Southwest trip. They have a software division, not just music and art. That's an event that Judith went last year. So we've dropped the South by Southwest, so we will be replacing one of the CROPP trips on the strategic plan with consultation with our membership.

Just as a quick update, what we've been doing in the last couple of months since our last meeting. One is our first CROPP trip has been approved. That's, again, returning to the not-for-profit technology conference in San Diego. That will be at the end of March. That's the only one that has been submitted so far. I'll be following up with the other people expressing interest and asking [other] NARALO members to actually take advantage of the program well in advance.

A couple of the other things that we've been actively communicating with our local GSE with Joe Capitano. He did an outreach effort with our ccTLD in Ottawa back in October. This clashed with an event we were

doing with ARIN at the ARIN event in Montreal, which five of the NARALO members were there. None of them were sponsored by CROPP. They were all there taking advantage of the generous fellowship program that we can actually take advantage of in North America.

They've changed their fellowship program and it may be actually the case for all of you, as well, but in the case of ARIN, they've increased their fellowship to five per region, so five from Canada, five from the United States, and five from the Caribbean.

The ARIN jurisdiction is slightly different than the ICANN area. We only have Puerto Rico as part of our ecosystem, but many of those that are in LACRALO who take advantage, including, I believe, Roosevelt took advantage of that fellowship with ARIN. Many people throughout the Caribbean have taken advantage of that.

So they have changed the number of fellowships that are available. Also, they have actually changed it so you can actually go more than once, which is a part of our outreach and engagement strategy. We have our MoU established with ARIN last year, and we hope to, again, have a solid relationship with ARIN as an outreach strategy to suggest policies as well as active participation, and I'm hoping some of our members will take advantage of the Jamaican event in January.

The second thing, as I was saying, the GSE did an outreach in Ottawa with the organization SIRA. It was a very small outreach. They did an outreach in Montreal, which I attended and co-presented with Joe at the McGill University. And he was planning a Toronto outreach effort,

but that was delayed or canceled and we're waiting for the dates on that.

Next issue is we've seen great value in reaching out to the ISOC delegates and chapters in North America. And one of the things that the new branding person on public relations, James Wood and I, we're organizing on December 17 an ISOC branding opportunity for people to participate with. I'll be sharing a small promotional mail card that I'll be sending out fairly soon, but we'll be inviting any of the ISOC chapters and many of you may be addressed and participating. It will be right after their WSIS event, so we plan on doing that on the 17th.

And the last outreach effort that we expect is the ISOC Washington or the ISOC DC. That is in the process of the application. I keep bugging them to submit their application, and hopefully we'll see that soon. That's it for me.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Glenn. Indeed, well, I was just impressed with the ARIN, how much outreach opportunities there are for At-Large to participate in ARIN. Five per region, and I guess region is Canada, United States, Caribbean. It's quite a lot, 15 in all. Okay. That's impressive.

Any other comments or questions? Okay. Seeing no comments, I guess I have one comment, one concern or question regarding the CROPP trips. And that's regarding the ability of the travelers to have the appropriate outreach materials so they can have those in hand to hand out to people so that the possible candidates for At-Large have something in

hand that they could look at, read, or use that information to go to the website to find out more about At-Large or the RALO, etc.

So I was kind of wondering, and I guess the question I'm going to direct this now to staff, is what's the procedure by which travelers can request outreach materials? And Heidi, [your hand is up]. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you, Dev. At-Large staff are very happy to send materials. What we do need is, number one, a significant notice so we have time to organize it and to send it.

And then number two is what kind of outreach materials you're looking for. For example, are you looking for the ALAC or the RALO trifold materials? USB drives with materials on them? Beginner's guides? etc. That would be a good way to start.

And thirdly, I see that we had Rodrigo de la Parra on the call. It might be that the GSE VPs for the various regions can also help with materials. So there are options for that. Thank you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thanks. Okay. Well, I see Maureen's hand has raised, but perhaps answer you on this. Go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Dev. I just had a question for Heidi. What about proposals for materials to be locally printed? I mean, I'm thinking about going to

APRICOT, for example, and we'll be working with two different types of communities, the technical community in the first week and the conference community in the second week.

And so sort of like [inaudible] and hardcopy from the U.S. to New Zealand, and I know that that's quite a cost. But it may be decreased a little bit if it was locally printed off as whatever numbers needed within a budget. I mean, is there a budget allocated where people who are running outreach events could actually produce their own materials, perhaps on a generic brochure type material that they can add to their own local details? Because even though it might be in Asia-Pacific and the contact details may not be sort of like it might be better for a contact to be more specific. Just a query for staff. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Maureen. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm just finding some information out, so I think in the next few minutes, I might have some responses.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Thanks, Heidi. Well, in the meantime, I was thinking, perhaps, what we can do is in order to track all of these travel, I know on the CROPP page there is a RALO page, which lists all of the proposed travel that's taking place in CROPP. The trip proposals have been approved and so forth. But I noticed this hasn't been updated.

But as Heidi mentioned, perhaps in order to track the actual request and what type of materials – beginner’s guides, if it’s needed, the IANA transition, whatever the outreach documentation is needed – perhaps those requests need to be put on a wiki page for the various travelers so that we could track, okay, these are the materials that we want for this particular trip, X number – and in what language, as well, I imagine, also, depending on the where the trip is going to be held.

Alright. I see two hands raised. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks, Dev. Just on what Maureen was raising. It is particularly in some of our larger regions, geographically large, I mean, not numerically large, necessarily, quite a cost [in post] to ship paper in particular around. So I am very keen unless we have a booth, a something, where we’re already moving materials internationally and another box of paper is not so much of an issue because you’ve already got popups and there are other things coming, as well.

But we do need to look at the effectiveness of local production. We also need to look at the effectiveness of when things are able to transported, that they’re transported to as close to one site as possible.

Now if it’s a conference we’re going to, it is possible that some of the conference organization or some of even the hotels where conferences are being held at may be able to receive boxes delivery from overseas directly, but that needs, usually, to be worked quite closely with the conference organizers because one box of papers is easy to get lost.

You mentioned, Heidi, can we see what the APAC hub can do? Great, but shipping from Singapore to [inaudible] New Zealand is going to be costly, too. I mean, you actually need this stuff to land in New Zealand and not necessarily expect volunteers to drag around many, many, many, many kilos of paper. So local production is something that I think is pretty important to think about.

That said, there is a time when there can be quite a risk of that if you are going to print paper and I also would like to remind people that digital access to things is quite a good idea.

If we also look at having a backup with, as Dev was just suggesting, using a wiki space as a repository for requests, we probably should also have a URL, which we can also [use] URLs that we can have as repositories for the actual download your own and either print locally or let people print them for themselves type things.

I don't know about you all, but I know how much paper I leave in hotel rooms, disemboweling the giveaway bags that I often get when I arrive at a conference. It's quite likely that our costly paper, unless it's one of those pickup at the booth situations, may end up in an awful lot of recycling bins, hopefully, rather than landfills, as well.

So I just want to remind us that local production is useful. We shouldn't forget the advantages of digital production, as well. We shouldn't forget the aspect of just giving people access to a digital repository. It will take a little organization within each region to make sure what's necessarily there is kept up-to-date, etc., but it could work, and that way, you just need to give people a Q code or a URL to give access to it.

And that's the sort of thing that can go on the back of a, for example, [give out an] APRALO business card. It's much easier to transport business cards than anything else, and you just keep that same repository up-to-date.

And the other thing on local production, whilst I support it, I also want to make sure that we always have the best and most up-to-date material there. So the repository idea, again, means that people, if they're going to do a local production, print off the most updated and the most recent materials.

And we also need to make sure that local production is not seen as a carte blanche, a permission granted for people to produce their own without any groupthink or group sharing. Because I fear sometimes one individual perhaps accidentally or inadvertently giving out either inaccurate or not up-to-date information because they continue to either produce or print something that doesn't have "groups" or ICANN group approval.

And that's enough for me. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Cheryl. Some interesting ideas there. I mean, I like the idea of having a URL or QR code or whatever. I guess the challenge would be to ensure that that it's consistent and doesn't break. I'm not sure whether it probably needs a proper URL. Well, probably the new At-Large website would be on rather than a wiki, which potentially it could break easily in moving things around or when it's updated, etc. So ISOC

business cards or some sort of postcard might be much better to have than the full-fledged outreach materials.

But Glenn, your hand is raised. Sorry. So sorry about that. Go ahead. Glenn, you may be muted.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi. Can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So we've had incidents, and this is the reason we need some kind of tracking of these requests. We've asked for material for Montreal, which we never got. We've asked for material for the Southwest. We only got Spanish. We have to make it aware to everyone. Most of the hotels now have a partnership with FedEx and some other company, so when it's put in storage waiting for you to arrive, they will charge you, not ICANN, but you. So when you go collect that box of material, be prepared to pay out of your pocket for the fact that it was stored.

So this is the whole issue that we're bringing up is that local printing is cheaper. Two, you can get hit with an extra cost. And we need some kind of tracking system if we request something that actually gets documented so that we actually requested the material long in advance.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. Any response from staff on this? So I see that during the chat, so Heidi has been collecting some of the requests for APRICOT, I believe. Any additional total comments? So, Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So I'm still awaiting for the response about the local printing. But just to let you know this past week during our workshop, we had a chat with communications, and several of the RALOs will be getting updated trifolds and the order is in terms of events. AFRALO first for ICANN 55, then EURALO prior to EuroDIG, and then LACRALO will be getting their updated brochures. And then NARALO will be prior to ICANN 57.

In terms of the business cards, we already have them for LACRALO and EURALO, and we can certainly make them for APRALO before the APRICOT. And then we'll make business cards for AFRALO and NARALO when they get their trifolds. Thank you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. I see a hand from Siranush. Siranush, go ahead. Well, as we're taking more time, but it's good to get this analyzed and discussed.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Just two minutes. Heidi, thank you very much. But I think if we can have at least some APRALO brochures before APRICOT, that would be great. I know that the meeting in Asia-Pacific will be too far from now, but if we can have at least some of them before that, we will highly appreciate.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I see Heidi's hand is raised. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh, sorry. I forgot to put that down. Just Siranush, we have a lot of APRALO ones, and I think you were the last ones to print in the older version, so we can definitely ship you those. I think we have them in English and Hindi and simplified Chinese. So let me just take a look what we have, and we can definitely ship those to you, as well. I see, Siranush, you say that they're outdated. Yeah, unfortunately, we need to work with the ICANN meeting, and I don't know if we can fit the APRALO in before February unless you can give us the final text ASAP. So let me confirm that, as well, with our comms team.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I see Glenn hand is raised, but just to say perhaps one action then is to really track the types of requests as to what kind of documents we want for a particular CROPP trip. And perhaps then we could track on the wiki as to what could be done, what can we send and so forth. It might be useful for that. So that's perhaps one action item to do. We'll create a tracking outreach materials request wiki page to be created, and then we could track all of the different requests as to what document, what language, etc.

Glenn, go ahead. Your hand is raised.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. We brought this up over a year ago. Evan and I showed to the committees the ISOC Strong mail card, and I thought it was a discussion

that we needed something that had a call to action rather than just regurgitating everything that's from the website. I really don't think the brochure really compels someone to join.

The mail card was a much more direct marketing piece, and I thought that was funded. I don't know whatever happened to that, but I thought the communication people were going to work on something that was very simple in a card [perhaps with] a QR code and something that would directly motivate people to get involved.

So I feel that even if I have the brochures, at the end of the day, I don't think it's getting the results that we expect.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Thanks, Glenn. And just to answer one question from Heidi posted in the chat. There is supposed to be a wiki page that staff updates. I'm hearing some distortion. I hope it's not coming from my end, but I think it stopped.

So I was about to say that there is a CROPP page that tracks all of the trip approval statuses and the trip assessments. It hasn't been up-to-date as yet, so I pinged CROPP staff to hopefully update that as soon as possible.

But perhaps, again, we can probably also have a wiki page on all of these attachments. And if there are especially any photos and so forth from these events, they could also be linked to or shared there. Cheryl? Your hand is raised. Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. Just on the use of a fixed URL or a QR code, the advantages of having something that you can give away that's small, easy to handle – the postcard, the call to action stuff that Glenn was talking about, something on the back of our business cards, etc. – the advantage there is, of course, providing we keep the repository, in other words, the material that it links to active, interesting, up-to-date, it can change.

So if I have given somebody a business card with a QR code three years ago on it and they visit it tomorrow, what I want them to see is up to me. I think for a more dynamic “marketing” approach, having that sort of thing is a lot more beneficial.

Now it doesn't mean that we never use hardcopy. There are places and times where hardcopy is still appropriate. But I think the volume of hardcopy that we're printing and not using is a concern, and I did have serious doubts as much of it goes to the proper end users we would like it to.

But I'm just a big fan of the dynamics and from what you raised when I mentioned that earlier, Dev, to my view, providing the subcommittees and teams within each other RALO, working with comms staff, etc., and as our work group here actually managed the spaces and do regular updates and changed what material is there, it should be fine.

Now one advantage, of course, of this approach is, and I know I will harp on about it and I will continue to harp on about it without any apology, is with our new website that helps because it in itself is dynamic. I mean, just a link to the regional spaces is going to be more advantageous now in the near future that it has ever been before. So I

think we're getting to a tipping point where what Glenn is talking about and what I've been moaning and groaning about on now for many years is more viable and more useful than any other time. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Cheryl. I see two hands raised here. Try to keep it brief because I now realize we're going well beyond. I didn't anticipate this topic will take so long. But Olivier and then Alan. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. And let me go just one step further, actually. When one considers the printing costs, the shipping costs of paper, and the likelihood that this will end up in a landfill or be burnt or whatever it is or in the recycling bin, there is an alternative where the costs have been dramatically falling, and these are thumb drives.

There is a myriad of listings of different thumb drives you can use. The costs are now tumbling down to levels of \$1 per drive. And you can rest assured that if you ship 50 drives to a location, the 50 of them will be kept.

Now, on the drive, you can print the URL or shortened URL. Even if that person decides to use the drive for something else than reading the documents that are in there, they will have that URL in front of them, and that will definitely actually bring them their attention.

I've not seen anyone so far chuck away USB drives, and they're very effective. Thank you. And you can, of course, put a lot more on the USB drive than on a brochure.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. I'll hear before I respond to that. Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. The length of the discussion and the number of options that have been presented clearly indicates it's a subject that's important to us. I'd like to go back to the very first question of saying, "Can we make limited funds available so that people can print things locally?" Yes, I know a lot of the paper gets thrown away, but sometimes paper is indeed the best medium for catching people's attention, and I'd like to hope we could figure out a way to do that. And Heidi said she's looking into it, but we can certainly talk about it further. We're not talking about an awful lot of money and, at times, it may well be the most effective way to reach certain audiences. So thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Alan. So perhaps another action item just so it doesn't fall into the cracks. Heidi to follow up on whether funding is available for local printing of outreach materials. And I guess in response to involving the use of USB drives, can such USB drives I presume with the ICANN logo and so forth be made available to travelers?

Okay. Olivier, your hand is raised. You want to follow up on this?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, I'll put it down.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, I know we're coming to the top of hour, but if I can indulge and I've confirmed with interpreters can stay on for ten more minutes. And it's important because there is one agenda topic that is quite important, and that is the feedback on the civic society engagement proposal.

There was a first draft that circulated before the Dublin meeting and a second draft has been produced based, I presume, on the discussion. It's a Google Doc, which has seen some significant updates from the first draft. I think, yes, staff is putting it up on the screen right now. Thank you. And I believe the comments are due on December 11. Glenn and Maureen, perhaps, either of you could take the floor to just point out any key concerns or issues with this new draft document.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. Maureen, if I could start. Okay. So we have a Google Doc that we've been working on to do feedback on this document. The document has changed dramatically from the first time we saw it. What is quite glaring is the removal of events. We have a bunch of ideas, and they have to be transformed to actual actions or activities. And those actions and activities are a central part of the original document, which was very biased to academia.

We gave quite a bit of feedback for North America and the different types of IT-oriented types of audiences, but that has been relegated as a footnote. The big thing that struck me is the change in the wording. It's very much biased to NCUC and NPOC. and even though it says At-Large

as part of this document, it has given a small statement with it clarifying that the At-Large structures had to be particularly interested in Internet-related policy and research rather than a definition of civil society as a whole.

So I think that's problematic in terms of what the definition is and what is civil society. We've seen very little action in terms of feedback on tangible activities, both content and communication, so what we've done very quickly, we've come up with some very tangible suggestions on how to get the message out in terms of engagement, and that's in a document.

But Heidi's been active with this, as the staff person assigned to it, so perhaps we should turn to Heidi to do some feedback.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Heidi, any inputs on this civil society document?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Given the really active input from Dublin, there was an updated document and At-Large staff sent that out about two weeks ago. For comments it's now been posted, and please add your comments. And there will also be a webinar for At-Large, NCSG, NCUC, NPOC, etc., I believe on the I think it's the 15th or 16th. And we'll get that material and that information to you in just a few minutes. But that's the latest on that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you, Heidi. Well, I guess my initial concern is a little bit as to what Glenn has said that I guess I'm concerned with any possible marketing message to come out of this civil society noncommercial engagement approach. because I think we don't want At-Large to be put in the background, but we want it prominent side to side with the NCSG, which is the Noncommercial Stakeholder Group, being marketed as part of this approach. So I will say that is probably my key concern there. Any thoughts or comments regarding this document? Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand the point you were trying to make here. Could you please clarify? Are you concerned that if the ALAC or At-Large doesn't take part, we will be satisfied or are you concerned that if we take part we will be satisfied?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. I think this plan talks about having a communications plan. And I guess my question is if there's a perspective this is going out to some civil society groups or organizations that identify themselves as civil society, what will be the marketing message? What will be the message that would go out to these groups? Would it be just, well, join the NCSG? Join the At-Large community? Join both?

And I guess from an At-Large perspective, we would want to be on the same level in terms of being how civil society organizations are approached, that they should be encouraged to join At-Large and NCSG, I am thinking, rather than choose one or the other. And that is my

concern. Can there be a consistent marketing message on this? Does that explain my concern, Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Dev. I don't know where it says that you should choose one or the other, but your point is well taken, and if it does say choose one or the other, maybe that should be said that you can join more than one.

I know while certainly in the GNSO, of course, you'd have to choose between NPOC and NCUC, but I'm not sure where you saw that it says choose one then go for one but don't go for the other one. Perhaps this is just the way that the document is drafted, and it's a very valid point that you're making that the one needs to read this document with such a view and making sure that it doesn't actually imply that you have to choose one over the other.

Certainly, the whole idea of having the civil society engagement is for more civil society engagement in all of the different component parts, a bit of a way of tell them you can go with these are the various channels you've got. And the way that I understand it, and it will be important, of course, to follow up on that, is that there will be similar commercial engagements, so not just civil society but the private sector engagement, and there will be also similar ones for the academic community and similar ones for the technical community.

That's certainly what I had pressed for during the last meeting with the Global Stakeholder Engagement Group, and the response we had had from Jean-Jacques Sahel was that the others were forthcoming but his

group was the one that was most advanced. Perhaps I got the wrong idea, but I would think that makes sense. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. Just noting some comments regarding – well, welcome, Beran – but from Glenn and Maureen was that what is At-Large’s definition of civil society? So that they can choose whether they are, as presented they are the prospective organization and can choose whether they are one or the other. Olivier, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. [inaudible] to give an answer, which I guess is a little bit [inaudible] represents my last direct involvement with At-Large, which [inaudible] and I have been [inaudible] several meetings and fora, which includes civil society [inaudible], and I’m not quite sure why At-Large [inaudible] definition of civil society is different than the [inaudible] positions, so [inaudible]. Hello?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sorry, Olivier. You got kind of distorted and robotic there, unfortunately. Let’s try again and see if it clears up.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I’m sorry, I’m back in the [inaudible] locations of London where the cell phone system isn’t that advanced. I was saying that having been to several fora with civil society since the last ICANN meeting, I just wanted

to say that [what one means by] At-Large definition of civil society. At-Large's definition of civil society is [inaudible] definition of civil society out there, then I think we have a problem.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier. We really can't hear you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible].

TERRI AGNEW: We'll dial back out to Olivier. One moment, please.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alright. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I mean, I was hearing what he was saying but it was very hard to pick it up, and I imagine the interpreters would have a very hard challenge. Okay, well, while Olivier is being dialed back in, we're obviously not going to have time to look at ideas for engagement strategies and FY16 budget proposals.

So my question is, as we try to get Olivier back, should we have another call for the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee this month? At this time, we won't do any updates on RALO strategies or anything since

we covered them today, but just to focus on engagement strategies and FY16 budget proposals. Any thoughts or comments?

So I'm seeing yes to have it this month. Okay. Text from Cheryl and Harold Arcos, for the record. And from Glenn and Maureen. Okay. I don't see anybody objecting. And Alberto has also said yes. So, okay.

So we're going to have a next call this month here just to focus on engagement strategies and budget proposals because those, and especially engagement strategies is actually something quite important. Okay. So, Olivier is back. So, Olivier, you have a few minutes because interpreters have to leave very soon.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Can you hear me now? Can you understand me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Very clearly, much better. Great.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks. I was thinking at the moment one talks about civil society, of course, one immediately is blocked in this country. What can I say? No. I was going to say that you mentioned the At-Large definition of civil society, and I got rather concerned that you mentioned that. If At-Large's definition of civil society is different from the well-accepted and understood definition of civil society, I think we have a problem. So we need to be perfectly clear what the definition is here.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, I think that is the challenge. Alright. Maureen. Short intervention. Go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Hi. Thank you. And Olivier, I guess it was just the fact that people actually have to choose whether they are civil society or not. I was under the assumption that most of our ALSes were civil society organizations anyway except that there's, I mean, I didn't realize that there were some that were specifically for profit.

So I thought if they were for profit, that it might be that's one of the things that we've actually discussed within the ALAC is that if it's specifically for profit, they don't actually meet the ALSes' criteria.

So again, I suppose, it's sort of like a little bit of my sort of like lack of understanding about what the ALS criteria are being, perhaps. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Cheryl, it has to be a very quick intervention. Interpreters have to go.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: This is a very quick intervention. We need to be very careful with our language here, and this is why we need to discuss it further and become quite clear. Definitions should be standard definitions. I agree with

Olivier on that, but the term not-for-profit is not mutually exclusive or mutually commensurate with civil society. You can be not for profit and absolutely not civil society, and you can be civil society and indeed for profit. So we want to watch our language very closely here. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, I think probably you're going to have to have more discussion on this civil society document. Can I suggest, then, perhaps, we probably do have to have a call. If we're going to have a call, let's try to do it earlier. So let's try for December 14 tentatively at the same time for the next Outreach and Engagement call.

And let's have a discussion on a mailing list, please, on the civil society, this terminology, and see if we can get some because I think you're right, it is a very – it's something to get sorted out correctly. Okay?

Alright. I would like to thank everyone for this call and, obviously, we had a lot of items there for discussion, and we'll finish and have more conversations on the 14th. So thank you all, thanks to the interpreters, and this call is now adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]