
GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome on today's ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement on Monday, the 28th of September at 16:00 UTC.

On the English channel, we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Jacqueline Morris, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Maureen Hilyard, Bartlett Morgan, Siranush Vardanyan, Glenn McKnight, Ali AlMeshal, and Daniel has also just joined us on the English channel.

We don't have anyone on the Spanish channel yet.

We have apologies noted from Juan Manual Rojas and Alfredo Calderón.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Janice Lange, Silvia Vivano; and myself, Gisella Gruber.

Our interpreter today is Veronica. If I could please remind you to state your names when speaking, not only for transcript purposes, but to allow Veronica to identify you on the other channel; and to speak at a reasonable speed to allow for accurate interpretation.

Thank you, and over to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Thanks, Gisella, and thanks to everyone for attending this call. Let's go right into it. To review our – and of course, if anybody wishes to add any other business, please post it in the chat. But let's just go through our review of our outreach items from the last call. There were just two items.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Wolf Ludwig was to confirm whether the EURALO [inaudible] CROPP RT [inaudible] Yuliya Morenets. Yuliya has confirmed and she's also part of both this Outreach and Engagement Working Group, and also the CROPP RT.

Second action item was Wolf Ludwig will seek a co-chair from EURALO from the ALAC Subcommittee – sorry, this subcommittee. And if no candidate is identified, Wolf would serve. Wolf, I did see that Olivier was mentioned as a possible candidate, but just to confirm, has he actually formally confirmed with you?

I'm just thinking. Is Wolf on the call? No, he's not, is he?

GISELLA GRUBER: No, Wolf is not on the call, so I will follow-up with him [inaudible]. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much. Well, then, let's move ahead now to the review of the outreach strategies. The strategies were presented on our last call and some comments were received and updated, and by the following week, the strategies were approved by this working group and for submittal to relevant regional GSEs. Let's just ask Daniel, can you give us an update on AFRALO strategy? Have you gotten a response from GSE staff?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I haven't yet got a response – hello? Can you hear me well?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Daniel, we can hear you. Go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay, great. Yes. I [inaudible] from the GSE and I don't know what exactly [inaudible] need to follow-up because [inaudible] can have a follow-up strategy [ratified].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. Perhaps what I can do is probably ask other persons. Like, perhaps Janice can also be involved in order to ensure that we get a response from the relevant GSE. So the action item, then, Daniel, myself, and Janice – working with Janice to get an update on the AFRALO strategy. Okay. Very well.

Let me just also talk about the LACRALO strategy. Thanks, Daniel. Regarding the update on LACRALO's outreach strategy, we did receive comments from Rodrigo de la Parra, which gave broad approval. There were three comments made. One was that they look forward to the events being captured on the calendar and they were looking to work with us on that.

Second, they wanted us to note some elements of the LAC strategy that focuses on outreach. For example, there are two additional trips which are similar in purpose to the CROPP in FY '15 that is geared for the additional for the LAC region.

I did update the outreach strategy accordingly, and also to ensure that once we have broad circulation and support from LACRALO. [inaudible] post some comments and some responses were posted on the LACRALO list. I'll be posting this more formally later today on the outreach strategy.

One of the other things that I do want to mention is that I also worked up a sort of spreadsheet to survey persons and organizations in countries without ALSes. I see Gisella is about to upload those images right now. I just thought I'll just do a screenshot just to show what the idea is here.

In LACRALO, we have 13 countries [inaudible] ALSes. What I did, I created a spreadsheet so that – and you may have to scroll down to see it. A sheet for every single country. So you have all of the 13 countries – Antigua, Bermuda, Bahamas, Belize, etc. – and each of those sheets we would have contact for each of those sheets.

For those who wanted the links to the actual images, it's on the agenda page. So there's a second image – and I guess I'll just let Gisella upload that image quickly.

This is what I have for each of the countries, and of course it's blank right now because we've only now started. But as I say, we already have several columns. The person that's submitting the information, the name of the person, e-mail address, phone number, the organization he or she may be from, website and social contacts whether they have a Twitter or Facebook account or LinkedIn or whatever.

The idea would be that this is on every single sheet for each country, and we will then collaboratively, the LACRALO members in this working group, will now collaboratively edit this document, so we could share all the various contacts that we could find. Potential At-Large candidates. Oh, Wolf, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Thanks, Dev. I just have a question for clarification. Regarding the spreadsheet [inaudible] ALSes, what will floating individual, etc., etc. At the EURALO level, this is meanwhile done by the EURALO individual associations. So I'm not keeping track about our floating European individuals anymore as I did until the EURALO individual association was created and certified.

Meanwhile, all these individuals are more or less assembled in the individual association, and for the time being, it's Roberto Gaetano who is in charge of it and who is doing a good job on this. Therefore, I do not collect any information about any further... If I bump into somebody, I simply refer him to Roberto.

As far as organizations is concerned, as noted in our strategy, we use a couple of events over the years for our outreach activities and we have some potential candidates, organizations in mind. But it would be extremely difficult here for the magnitude of 48 European countries on a per-country level to note on [their] potential candidates. So this is, in the European context, on a country-by-country level, simply not feasible.

I see. Okay, thanks for that, Wolf. Well, for LACRALO, it's 13 countries. So we thought that is probably a manageable group to try to see if we can find and catalog persons and organizations.

Just to answer Maureen's question, yes, we are trying to identify [inaudible], both individuals as well as groups. Because one's thinking is that if we identify enough individuals that are involved in Internet governance an ITC issues in their local fora and other fora such as the IETF and so forth, we can then contact those individuals and find out, well, are you willing to self-organize into a group that can comment on ICG and IG issues locally? That's the idea. Or perhaps encourage them to talk about ICANN and perhaps go into get a fellowship and so forth. So that's the idea.

Glenn, go ahead. Sorry.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I just want to make a comment on this spreadsheet. I can see what you're doing in terms of outreaching to non-representative countries. But the other approach one could take is a community of interest rather than a community based on geo location. So if you have organizations in civil society which span countries but have particular community or constituents of a common interest...

For example, we attended the not-for-profit sector, IT sector conference, the last two years. And particularly, we were interested in dealing with people dealing with the issues of the people with disabilities. That was a particular drilled-down focus group that we wanted to reach. But in addition to that, it had 3,500 not-for-profits and

they also were [sponsored] by [inaudible]. So they were interested in Internet governance. So it was a very targeted approach in terms of people who would have interest. Rather than just talking to people at a cocktail party that have no interest at all.

So the IGF obviously is a great targeted group and you may find – in some countries, you could have lots of representatives, lots of interest. In other places, it's extremely difficult.

We've tried for three years now because we have 15 islands in the South Pacific with our US territories for North America. It's absolutely useless trying to get someone despite some generous help from Maureen. It has been absolutely unproductive reaching out to those islands, particularly American Samoa, which has the highest rate for Internet connectivity for broadband. You would think there would be an interest, but it's how much effort do you put in in order to get an individual?

The question is how do you cultivate that relationship? Because they're so detached from our region because they're more really aligned in time zone and culture to APRALO.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Glenn. It's a good idea. I think what we were trying to think of is how to divvy up the work and trying to find persons. So right now, if you look on that first page, [inaudible] allocated persons to look at each of the individual countries in the LAC region without At-Large structures.

Again, indeed, because it's in our region, it's probably easier to have split it up by country. But I think having some sort of finding groups of interest, based on interest like accessibility, for example, it probably is also another useful approach and that can probably be a better approach for, say, EURALO or for APRALO because they have obviously so many numerous countries and territories.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I put my hand up?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Cheryl, go right ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Sorry. I'm trying to buy another day's working Internet access so I can get into the Adobe Connect room, but the gremlins are fighting me yet again. I apologize for that.

I think the idea of the way we're looking at the spreadsheets by carving them into different [ways] such as Glenn suggested is an excellent one. what I'd do is take a tab approach. Let's do a by country, by community of interest, and also by sub-regions which are not necessarily the way that the ICANN geo-regions are currently carved up.

We do hope that we will have the geographic regional review work completed at least by Marrakech, and of course that will give the opportunity for a period of self-determination for some countries which

are time zone and geo-locality wise in very odd places. That's going to help us as well.

So I'll take a tab approach. We could almost have a hyperlink drill-down system where if you go by country and you go into a particular area, you can feed out into perhaps even what [sectorial] interests or special interests groups [inaudible] as well. So let's carve it as many ways as we can. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks. That's a good idea. I should say that also for the LAC strategy, the goal is also to find other stakeholders, like ccTLDs that are not in the ccNSO, governments that are not in the GAC, etc. This kind of approach is probably also going to be done for the LAC strategy as well. But it's an excellent idea. Thanks for that.

Okay, well, I spent more time on the LACRALO part than I intended. My apologies. Let's just quickly go to a quick update from EURALO. Wolf, has the strategy been shared with Jean-Jacques Sahel and any feedback from him?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes, it has been shared with him, but I have not seen any particular feedback. But as we have discussed so many times about this, I guess as you can consider it as approved. It's a document about work in progress and we will re-discuss it in Dublin. We have a European Coordination meeting and it will be part of the discussion in Dublin again. Therefore, for the time being, as it is now, I think you can consider it as approved.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Wolf. If Jean-Jacques Sahel could actually just respond so we have something for the record, that he has approved it, because I also note that this hasn't been put on the wiki itself, which either you or Yuliya should be doing to actually put it on the wiki – on the CROPP wiki, I should say. When I say the wiki, the CROPP wiki. And then Jean-Jacques Sahel could actually look at this wiki page to comment on it. Okay, I guess that's an action item for you to follow-up. Okay. All right, thanks.

Let's quickly get to any updates from NARALO or APRALO. I'll just want to ask for a short update now at this time. Anybody from APRALO or NARALO want to report anything? Okay, Siranush, go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Hello, everyone. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi, Siranush. Yes, we can.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Am I hearing Maureen?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Siranush, this is Dev. Yes, we can hear you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes. Okay, thank you. Hello, everyone. Just a brief update on APRALO outreach activities. We recently started with the suggestion of Dev starting an outreach calendar, APRALO calendar, and asked our ALSes to provide input. Because there are a lot of activities going on on ALS level and many of us are not aware, and quite honestly, we didn't expect that so many ALSes will come back with so many activities to be posted in our calendar, those which are connected with ICANN, IGF, or in general Internet issues.

One of the major activities which is highlighted in our outreach strategies work with universities came out that it's already started [inaudible] ALSes like by Hong in China, by Amir and Fuad in Pakistan. So we asked them – they received a lot of feedback and I think that this outreach calendar is quite a good start for getting people involved and feeling that they are a part of this strategy implementation.

And related to our strategy, we already started communication with our VP from [inaudible]. I just recently sent an e-mail to [inaudible] to find out what kind of activities are planned to be implemented during Apricot, which is one of the major events in the region and are waiting for the response to see how we can match APRALO activities with ICANN activities, so that's [inaudible] from my side.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Siranush. Thanks for that. It's very good to see that the outreach calendar is being used quite effectively. Glenn, your hand is raised.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure, thanks. Yes, we completed our strategy with feedback from the community. We sent it to our North American VP. We got feedback. The one change we're doing because of logistics is the south by southwest. It just doesn't work well in terms of attendance due to the fact that it's immediately conflicting with the ICANN [inaudible] Marrakech event. So we'll be replacing that one. As far as I'm concerned, I think that's all the feedback they gave and I believe they [inaudible] it.

Secondly, we've also gave feedback on the calendar event of the capacity building document that was, I believe, due today on the various events [for] each of our regions. So we [did] an extensive feedback from Garth and Judith on various events month by month which were more targeted to civil society. So that has been submitted and given [inaudible]. That's it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay, thanks, Glenn. Seeing no further questions or comments, great. It's good to see this hurdle for outreach strategy has been... I don't want to say overcome, but it's now some great progress made on these outreach strategies and now we have to look now at implementing these strategies going forward.

Okay, so let's move on to our next agenda item. The next agenda item is the review of our ATLAS II recommendations. The ATLAS II had various recommendations that were allocated to the Outreach and Engagement Working Group. I thought we should probably spend some time to go through these outreach and engagement items, and in doing so, we'll probably be able to tackle some things such as the beginning's guide

and the civil society engagement document that Glenn mentioned earlier.

I see Ariel who is our key person involved in the ATLAS implementation. Ariel, perhaps you could just share your screen, so you could scroll and see the various recommendations for outreach and engagement.

ARIEL LIANG: Having some tech issues sharing my screen, but you can start and I'm going to figure it out while you were talking.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, let me just post a link for the ATLAS II recommendations, so persons can see. Okay, lovely. Let's go right into it.

Recommendation 1, ICANN should continue to support outreach programs and engage a broader audience in order to reinforce participation from all stakeholders.

What we voted on previous calls was that they had programs such as the fellowship, and there's also the NextGen programs. One of the comments that the NextGen... There doesn't seem to be as much interaction from NextGen in the At-Large meetings. So perhaps we would meet with the persons that are involved with the NextGen program. This could probably take place during the Dublin meeting.

Perhaps somebody from staff can confirm this. Let's see if we could organize to meet with the staff persons involved with the NextGen

program at the Outreach and Engagement meeting in Dublin. Heidi, if you could answer this, thanks. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi. I also see Janice is on the call, who worked with Jeff Dunn who works with the NextGen. Yes, definitely. We will be inviting Sally and her GSE vice presidents to the Sunday session in Dublin. I'm sure that we will also be including Nora, who [inaudible] confirmed. And I'm sure for Nora's session that she'll be bringing her team, including Jeff and Janice, to that.

Yes, for the meeting of the subcommittee on outreach and engagement in Dublin, we can certainly invite Jeff and Janie as well. Thank you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay, excellent. Thanks, Heidi. Do we need to mark that as an action item or is it already done? [inaudible] Jeff.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

You can see Janice...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Ah, yes, I'm now seeing the chat as well. Excellent. Thanks for that. Any other thoughts or comments regarding recommendation 1, that the Outreach and Engagement Working Group should be doing? We meeting with the fellowship and NextGen programs at the Outreach and Engagement meeting in Dublin. There will also be an opportunity to

speak to the GSE team on the Sunday session at Dublin as well. Going one, going twice. Okay.

Let's move ahead then to the next recommendation, which is recommendation 2, which is that ICANN should increase support to programs having brought valuable members to the community. Are there any particular...?

What we had done before on this recommendation, we identified various programs that have brought members to the community – the leadership training, NextGen, fellowship, CROPP. Regional strategy, strategic plans, may also have contributed to have outreach components in them. Language services brings in more persons that are able to follow in their language. Online courses such as the ICANNLearn.

I don't know if there is any additional things that should be noted or tracked or mentioned by the subcommittee. Heidi, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, that was an old hand.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Was that an old hand? Okay, sorry about that. Anything that we need to add to this meeting?

One of the things that's going to be happening during the Dublin... Again, this possibly falls under the meeting rules [inaudible] NextGen and Fellowship. We could probably talk about is there a way to get

more At-Large persons involved in those programs? Potential At-Large persons involved in those programs.

Glenn, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I just wanted to verify that there's a EURALO showcase in Dublin. If so, will the RALOs have actual tabletops to talk to guests that might be potential ALSes that are at the event?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Glenn. I don't think that is the case. Let me ask Wolf to make a quick intervention on that point, just to confirm or deny that.

WOLF LUDWIG: Thanks, Dev, for the floor. Glenn, as we have repeated, I think dozens of times in the past, we do not organize any showcase because the showcase format is not appreciated among our members at all. So we will have networking and outreach events after the general assembly co-organized or coordination with Jean-Jacques Sahel, but it will not be a showcase. There will be no show at all. It is just an opportunity for networking and outreach. Does this answer your question, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So you're having something, since you've told me dozens of times. You won't have a showcase, but there will be a networking session – correct?

WOLF LUDWIG: A networking session, yes, but no showcase at all.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, so which is one in the same. You're just calling it something else. All I'm saying is: is there an opportunity for representatives from the other RALOs to be there to answer questions for people who are interested in our RALOs or other RALOs. Is that correct?

WOLF LUDWIG: Of course this is not a closed event. To my memory, whenever there was a showcase by a RALO in the past, the people or members of other RALOs were always welcome or even encouraged. That will be the case for our networking event in Dublin as well. We will particularly invite via ISOC Europe. Director of ISOC in Europe is Frédéric Donck last week in Brussels. He will circulate a special invitation for European ISOC chapters who will be present in Dublin to come and show up for our networking event. So this is a main course and the main purpose for the whole thing.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Wolf and Glenn. Maureen, you have your hand raised. Go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Dev. I just wanted... Now that we've identified a list of programs, it does ask for suggestions on ways in which support will be required for these particular programs. How are we proposing to address the support issues that we would like addressed for each of these programs that we've identified? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Maureen. It's a good question. I was getting right to it. What we can do is that if we have identified specific programs or specific add-ons to existing programs that need to happen, we could probably submit that as a budget request for FY '17. So it's something for this working group to really perhaps identify such possible budget requests, so that they could be submitted in time. I believe there's going to be a discussion with Xavier at the Dublin meeting, so specifics of how that can be done could be [asked] at that point. Okay. Does that answer your question, Maureen? Okay, great. Let's see. Go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I was just going to say that should we not have a group of people working on each of these issues so that we're a little bit more prepared when we actually speak to Xavier?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm thinking yes. Let's see. Perhaps the co-chairs – let's see if the co-chairs [inaudible] pick out who can do what. Perhaps let's have the co-chairs look at who can work on the various programs and come up with

some key ideas for each of these programs. I don't think we'll have time to work on it on this call. But it's a very good point, Maureen. Thanks.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, I'm sorry, I couldn't quite get to put my hand up quick enough.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, no problem. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Could I just comment on that one? I wonder if we could invite the co-chairs of the O&E Subcommittee to the upcoming regional secretariat meeting, so we could get both the regional leaders as well as the co-chairs of the subcommittee on O&E to discuss what possible Fiscal Year '17 special request might be useful for the RALOs as well, within the context of the O&E strategies.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm thinking yes. That sounds like a very good idea. When is the RALO secretariat meeting roughly? This week, next week?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella or Terri, do you happen to have that information on hand?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, the regional secretariat meeting is Tuesday, the 29th of September at 18:00 UTC.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, I don't think we'll have everything prepared in time, but at least we could raise the awareness of coming up with appropriate FY '17 special requests. Perhaps co-chairs can work between now and then to try to see if we could identify certain possible projects. We could take it to the mailing list. Thanks. Okay, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, just really quickly. I know that Wolf is on the call and he is the [inaudible] chair of the regional secretariat, so I didn't mean to step on his feet in terms of the agenda. But maybe we could just add that just for a few minutes of brainstorming to get the ball rolling. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is a good idea. Thanks, Heidi. Okay. Thanks for this. We have some work to do on recommendation 2. Let's go ahead, because I know we have several other recommendations. I want to get to this and talk about engagement strategies.

Recommendation 12 was the next one and that is in collaboration with At-Large Structures, ICANN should put in place campaigns to raise awareness and extend education programs across under-represented regions.

What's going to be happening for this recommendation, [inaudible] will be meeting with the ALAC during the ICANN 54 meeting. So you want to ask them what are they doing to address this recommendation.

But there's nothing to say that we in the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee can put together some ideas and proposals in order to make suggestions to the GSE team.

Any thoughts or comments on this aspect, as to what Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee should try to do our work on? Okay. Going once, going twice. Seeing no further updates on this, let's move then again to the next recommendation, which is recommendation 21. This is to encourage public campaigns on using the Internet for education, information, creativity, and empowerment.

What we have noted was that this recommendation wasn't really in ICANN's core mission and value. We could probably collaborate with other organizations or groups, but not really spearhead these programs.

On the Social Media Working Group call last week, we identified that ICANN itself has various resources. That can become public campaign topics. Let me just post a link here for example. Security issues, safety guides, and so forth. We could leverage those resources happening in the other ISTAR organizations, ISOC, the RIRs, etc., and then we share those public campaigns.

Heidi, your hand is raised. Go ahead. You may be muted, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, I am muted. Thank you so much. Again, Nora will be joining the ALAC in Dublin. She has confirmed and she has been informed of this and other relevant ATLAS II recommendations and is very happy to be able to address these and see if we can move these forward.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you for that. Any other comments or observations from this working group on recommendation 21? Going once, going twice. Okay. Let's then move ahead to recommendation 38, which is ICANN should ensure that its beginner's guides are accessible.

Actually, I noticed that there's been some work on a beginner's guide for new ALSes – a beginner's guide to At-Large structures I believe is the beginner's guide that's being worked on by staff. Can someone from staff just introduce this topic?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Ariel, go ahead, if you feel free to do that.

ARIEL LIANG: Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can, Ariel.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, great. My Adobe Connect is not working very well today, so I just want to make sure. I'm going to paste this link in the chat. From staff side, we took the initiative to review some of the content on this beginner's guide to At-Large structures. We did a number of revisions ranging from the text to links and graphics.

We posted this [inaudible] version on the link on the wiki page and I just pasted the link in the chat. If the members of this working group can take a look at it and give us some input, we will greatly appreciate it. Our goal is to publish a revised version in Dublin in the PDF form. Even though the PDF may be easier to produce, we still need a couple of weeks just to make sure we can get this in time for the communications department to reflect those changes. I'll also send an e-mail to the mailing list and you can also check this page via that e-mail later on.

In terms of comments, I think maybe a best way is to put your comment in the comment box in this wiki page and then we can keep track. If you like to send us more substantive comment, you can directly send an e-mail to staff or just send to me. Both will work.

Heidi, did you have any additional comments on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

If we could please have a deadline of any additional comments, at least for the one that we're going to be showing in Dublin by the fifth of October, that would be great. Because we'll be needing to send it to our [inaudible] team to get it formatted and add some new photos, etc. So the earlier the better. Really, I do take this opportunity to ask that you take a look at it. I think that Ariel and Nathalie have done a fantastic job on updating it. We had staff edit this as well, add comments, so really it's now in your hands to get the guide for you and the At-Large community. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Ariel and Heidi. I see that the deadline of October 5th has been added to the page already. There's a question here from Remmy, asking a question here: "Is there any specific reason for highlighting the structure as part of the corrections?"

ARIEL LIANG: I can answer that question. We're changing the title of the beginner's guide to the members of At-Large, because structure is a big majority part of the At-Large community, but then we also have independent members in EURALO and NARALO, so we don't want to isolate them where [inaudible] them. So that's why we're changing that. I hope I understand your question clearly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I could just add just a little bit more of a historical reason for this... Again, one of the recommendations that came out of the last At-Large review was that all RALOs were to move towards developing rules for including individuals. So NARALO currently does have that. EURALO has an ability for ALSes, for individuals to join an ALS just for individuals and the other RALOs are developing rules.

So in the expectation that the other RALOs will continue to make progress in this and make [inaudible] rules for individuals, we're developing this guide to already include individuals. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Heidi. Remmy just had a quick follow-up question, or comment, I should say. Some of the graphics are a little behind, and do

we have plans to updating them? They should tell the current status of the At-Large structure.

ARIEL LIANG:

We do have an updated graphic for the whole community structure and that was reflected in the previous Outreach and Engagement trifold that we designed and distributed in ICANN 53. So that new graphic will be reflected on this guide. Also, ICANN-wide – I think Heidi can probably comment on that, too – is ICANN also produced a new ICANN structure infographic and that will also be included in this guide.

Another thing I want to clarify is that we're doing mostly cosmetic change to this guide, because as you're aware, we're building a new At-Large website and a lot of content in this guide can be repurposed on that website. It will be much easier in the future to update this kind of content on the website than on this PDF document. It will take a lot of time just going through these changes. It's not very efficient for updating.

So we're doing limited cosmetic change here, and more changes will come when we have the guide up and running and we can put the content over there.

I'm not sure what Remmy is asking about the current status of the ALSes. I believe that is more like something we can find on the website rather than on the beginner's guide, because our ALS status could change very quickly, if we get a new application. It will be impossible to change the guide every time we get a new application. I hope I answered the question.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Ariel. Just also a final comment, and I know we spend more time than we wanted, but just a comment from Glenn that we discussed that this guide could be converted to an e-book. I've asked Glenn to take the floor quickly. I assume you mean something like an [e-hub] type of document?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. The e-book project, which is funded with this fiscal period, is to create an e-book. We discussed that one of the best ways to provide another modality rather than website or print material or PDF [inaudible] beginner guides. As soon as this is done, we can look at conversion [inaudible] with staff. Heidi has assigned staff with communications on that. The question is when do we see this in final form? Because we don't want to send drafts for the conversion.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Heidi, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: A couple of points. This is... Again, in the past, beginner's guides were in PDF as well as print form including all the UN – the 61 – languages. But we found that that is very prohibitive in terms of cost. Then in terms of the times that it takes to update it. So we're moving forward now on having this be the beginner's guide only in PDF form, which means that we can update them more often. That is one benefit. In a way, you can

think of them as a dynamic living document, because we will be able to update them more often than in the past.

In terms of the e-books, just a note that this document is approximately, I'm going to say, between – I think it's 24 pages, which would make it a bit prohibitive in terms of cost for turning it into an e-book on the current project that we have going.

Glenn, as we move along with your project, that's something we need to consider as well. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Heidi. I think that question that Ariel has answered regarding the ALS maps. Any other additional thoughts or comments on this beginner's guide?

The wiki page is up already, so persons, let's please review it and make our comments by October 5th. Go ahead, Ariel.

ARIEL LIANG: Just to answer Remi's comment about why this guide is being a PDF form, unfortunately we have got the PDF form to begin with, to start this work on, and we are mainly doing cosmetic changes. That will be easier for the communications department to look at the document and reflect the changes very fast. That's why we don't have a Google doc or a Word doc for this document. But the PDF will enable fast change when we deliver our [inaudible] to the communications department.

Thank you very much for doing this work. I really appreciate all your inputs in this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right. Thanks for that, Ariel. Let's go on. We are going to definitely run ahead of time. Let's see, what's the other recommendation?

The last recommendation was actually recommendation 40. I should say that I'm not sure what, if anything, to add to this. Just to say what recommendation 40 quickly is, ICANN should offer a process similar to the CROPP program with applicable to short lead-time budget requests not related to travel.

The idea behind this is if you recall at the last ICANN meeting, a lot of time was spent during the ALAC and ICANN board discussions on the challenges that a person had to get funding to get a visa and [inaudible] was not able to get the funding to get the visa and, therefore, was not able to attend.

There was support expressed that perhaps there needs to be some sort of funding to assist community members. So there is a kind of understanding by the board that perhaps some sort of funding mechanism needs to happen for these types of contingencies that happen. It also allows us to have At-Large funding for specific types of funding, like special requests, possibly for outreach, that could be applied for. Instead of waiting for one moment of the year, usually the beginning of the year, and somehow having knowledge of an entire year's events planned out and everything, to be able to apply at the beginning of the year, we could have something that if an event is

organized within a very short time – within three months, say, as an example – we can apply for some short-term funding for particular outreach purposes for that short-term event.

I don't think there's anything to add to this from the Outreach and Engagement group on this topic. Feel free to do so. I know you'll go over time, but it's important to get inputs and ensure these recommendations are handled properly. Going once, going twice, going thrice.

Okay, well, seeing no comments on this, excellent. So we've completed a list of some reporting there on the ATLAS II recommendations. I know we're probably step over a few minutes beyond time. I don't want to take too much time because this call is interpreted, but I do want to take a few minutes just to quickly look at ideas for engagement. Ideas for engagement strategies. Let me just post a link in the chat.

Just to talk about some of the ideas here. A lot of focus has been on outreach, but what this working group is to look at engagement strategies is how do we get existing persons involved in our At-Large activities or work?

Maureen... Well, Glenn, you raised your hand first. Go ahead. You may be muted, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can hear you now. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, I'm sorry about that. Yeah. One of the things that Silvia, myself, and Judith talked about last week, because we did an analysis of our attendance record and voting patterns, we felt especially the new ALSes in the past year or two years need to be reached out and have a friendly webinar so that they can ask any question on any element rather than prescribed topic.

So we're going to organize some webinars for the... I guess you would call them less-active ALSes that we found that we want to engage them and encourage them, and perhaps if we can raise their awareness level, reduce their anxiety levels, that we may get some individuals that will be more active. That's one of our strategies.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. Maureen had an interesting idea. I don't know, Maureen, you want to just quickly take the floor just to explain your ideas? I'm mindful of the time. Are you able to just take the floor and just go to your suggestions for engagement strategies?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Probably not to go through them, but just to make a comment that I think that as part of our outreach discussions, there have actually been quite a few ideas that have come through outreach relating to the next meetings that we're having, especially meeting B next year. There have been quite a lot of outreach activities which can actually be transformed

into engagement activities. I think that the initiation of the website, the beginner's guide, and the different ways in which we can present the beginner's guide, as Glenn has suggested. I think we've got to be looking at multiple ways of resending ICANN and what we do to make them so that they're applicable to the different types of communities and individuals that we have.

So engagement means a lot of different things to different people, so we've got to be a little bit mindful of that, and of course it's still in progress. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Maureen. All right. I know we're going beyond the hour and I'm mindful of the interpreters. Glenn, you have a very quick response to this? I see your hand raised. That's why I'm asking. Okay, old hand.

I want to make sure that perhaps we can allocate more time to this engagement topic, engagement ideas, or things we could possibly do in order to [inaudible] by our existing ALSes.

Let me ask a question here. Should we have another Outreach and Engagement call, say, next week? Or do we want to just have that discussion at the Dublin meeting? Cheryl, I see your hand raised. Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Being very selfish, I would like to see us do it at the Dublin meeting. The workload for those of us involved in some other activities in ICANN since this last couple of days have just gone past here in Los Angeles has in

some cases quadrupled. I would very much [inaudible] on the Dublin side.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Very well. I think what we can do is ensure that the Dublin meeting has some more time allocated to this, rather than just reporting on, say, the ATLAS II recommendations. Okay. I say Dublin. I think Glenn also put a no to having a conference call. Glenn says Dublin. Okay. Sorry, Remmy, I saw your hand raised. It has to be a very brief intervention because we're going beyond time. Remmy, you may be muted. If not, type the question in the chat. Okay. Again, mindful of the time. Remmy, I'm sorry but we're going to have to end the call now because it's now five past the hour and there is interpretation here. It's not a simple thing to extend beyond.

I think most of the chat questions have said Dublin, so let's do indeed have some time on the Dublin face-to-face meeting to talk about engagement strategies. Excellent.

I'd like to thank everyone for attending this call. Please contribute to the wiki pages that's out for comment and on the mailing list before Dublin. I'd like to thank everyone for attending this call. Take care. Good afternoon, good evening, good night to everyone. This call is now adjourned.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Dev. Thanks, staff. Bye.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks, take care.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone. The meeting has been adjourned and the audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today's call and we look forward to seeing you in Dublin.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]