

ICANN

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine
February 5, 2015
2:30 pm CT

Rudi Vansnick: Welcome to this session. Good afternoon. I hope that you enjoyed your meals. When we prepared the NCPH meeting, I brought up the idea of having some discussion and thoughts and having explored the logistics and facilities for the upcoming meetings especially as from Marrakech on we will have a new format meeting type A, in Panama, meeting type B, and in Puerto Rico it will be type C.

A, B, and C doesn't mean that much except that the B is a meeting format with four days in which we have to do our work while we are used to do it in six and seven days. So I think it's important that we can have some detailed information on how the meeting team, and we are pleased to have Tanzania here with us, that the meeting team can help us in giving us guidance in how we could organize ourselves in such a way that our work fits it at least the four day plan.

And with regards Marrakech, perhaps it is also something that we could get informed on the security issues. And another question that popped up is as it seems to be a resort, is the resort reserved for ICANN, for ICANN meetings, nobody else is coming in? That could help to define if we need extra space for formal meetings; we could do it outside at the motels or something like that.

Perhaps it's good to handover to Tanzania and give us some more information on the meetings.

Tanzania King: Thank you. I know you guys probably have more questions that I have immediate information to share so I'll leave a lot of time for that. To start with, just to answer quickly your questions about Marrakech, the resort is primarily going to be filled with ICANN. That doesn't mean that it is only ICANN people.

It's very large. There's apartments. There's suites. There's hotels. There's a lot of property. So it is not going to be limited to just ICANN attendees. But there is plenty of space. I know hotel rooms are already short, so if any of you are those people sending us emails, we actually have a member of our team who flew to Marrakech yesterday to go and talk with them about hotel rooms.

Communications were proving difficult from afar and as far as meeting space goes, we have plenty. The schedule is coming together. We're going to post on the 15th of February. And I understand you guys have some conflicts from Glenn who was happy to tell me. So I'm happy to try and help work those out as best we can. And I think that that covers Marrakech. I can't speak to security.

I can tell you what I know about how we're handling registration. But I can't give you much more of an update than that other than to say bring your photo

ID. Don't leave it in your safe. Bring it with you to registration so you can get quickly checked in.

Markus Kummer: I can fill in a bit on the security issues. We actually had a discussion on that at our Board meeting in Singapore. Without going too much into detail but obviously the general idea is that ICANN, unfortunately because we live in the world we live in, we'll have to step up security measures as a matter of routine.

It's, and to a large extent ICANN bring them in line with, for instance, what the U.N. does. Delegates will have to register with a government issued pictured ID. It's not that anybody can just come in and register. There will be standards, routine security checks at the entrance to the venue. All this is a little bit more bothersome but it's not different from whenever you go to a U.N. meeting.

So it's essentially bringing the security arrangements in line with international standards. And without going too much into the details of Marrakech, I think meeting team worked very closely with Moroccan authorities to ensure that that's - lost the mic. It's back. To ensure the best possible security on site. But I think there are no particular worries about security but it will be just a little more stepped up.

Rudi Vansnick: Maybe if I just may comment on or ask something that I think is quite important? Would it have impact on the VISA issue because we know VISA is always a tricky thing and many people have issues? Do you know that there is something that is covering the difficulties with VISA or is it (unintelligible) at that site?

Markus Kummer: I can't speaking for the meeting staff but I don't think that has a particular impact on VISAs. As far as I know, the Moroccan authorities again offer their collaboration but VISA is always a sticky issue also with the U.N. You know, whenever you go to a consulate or embassy, you never know whether the information has reached the desk of whoever is sent to issue the VISAs. You know, whatever the authorities, who they send out the instructions, but you never know if the officer you're talking to actually saw the letters but let's hope it will work.

Tanzanica King: I can add to that just a little bit. We posted information for anybody who doesn't have a consulate nearby in country that they can go to. But they're actually offering VISAs upon arrival to those people, if they get an invitation letter through the Web site.

Moving on. So meeting B which I'm trying to get people to start calling a policy forum because - oh sorry. Question?

Philip Corwin: Excuse me. Am I correct? The way I read it that U.S. residents, U.S. citizens do not need a VISA to Marrakech. Is that correct?

Tanzanica King: That's correct.

Philip Corwin: Okay. Thank you.

Tanzanica King: You're welcome. So I'm trying to get - yes. One more. I've got eyesight.

Jimson Olufuye: Yes, thank you. You also had that there's provision for VISA on arrival. Yes. So that applies to African participants?

Tanzanica King: Yes, it applies to anybody. If you go to the meetings Web site on the travel information, you can see that there's two links for email addresses. You contact them. Get your information letters. And they will give you the information on the process for that. But yes, they're doing VISAs upon arrival.

Brett Schaefer: Right. Quick question. I had emailed the venue and asked for a room. They told me that there were no rooms available a while back. I made arrangements to stay somewhere else. It's fine. But in terms of entry to the venue, is there going to be security? Are there going to be gates going into and out that I need to be aware of to make sure I'm on time to the various events?

Tanzanica King: So there's no, there's not going to be security at the entrance to the property itself but once you get to the convention center, which is, which hotel are you staying at?

Brett Schaefer: Villa de Los Oranges?

Tanzanica King: Okay, that doesn't actually mean anything to me. I'm going to be honest. But once you get...

Brett Schaefer: It's near some of the other venues that were on the Web site.

Tanzanica King: Okay, so the two main hotels which I'm sure everybody wanted to get into and some of you could not are on either side of the convention center. Once you get to the convention center, you're going to have to go through security there. We're still working out the plans to try to make sure this is as smooth as possible even to the extent of I'm willing to stand there because I know faces to help get people through quickly.

So preregistration is important because they're actually going to vet that list ahead of time. That will actually help to move the process forward. But yes, allow yourself a little bit of time because they're going to have, you know, it's like going to the airport. Though you are going to have to put your bags through a check and get cleared to get your badge. But I hope to make it the quickest, smoothest process possible.

Any other questions? Okay, so policy forums scheduled for June. As Rudi said earlier, it's going to be a four day meeting. What we've been doing right now is talking to each of the groups and trying to build a schedule. Each time we go through an iteration of this, you know, somebody says wait if (unintelligible) doing that, what am I going to do and it keeps evolving and changing.

Right now it is actually in a really good place and instead of going one, two slides, can you go to the third slide so we can start looking at the schedule which of course you could never see, if you wanted to. But right now, we've got a pretty solid idea of what everybody wants to do. There's a lot of cross-community collaboration that people want to do which really means that this is going to be a different meeting.

And breaking out of the silos and coming together, the biggest challenge for you all and everybody else is going to be figuring out what's most important for you to get done and what doesn't have to be done because you're not going to be able to do everything in the four days. The next step is going to be to get everybody, members of each group on one call so we can all look at the schedule and see if it makes any sense.

Right now the Board is not doing any of their own meetings so they're not doing any Board committees. They're not off by themselves. The goal is to

have them available so that they can actually attend your sessions and participate where you want them to participate.

One question I pose to you all is, do you feel that the, you need to have one on one meetings with the Board or do you feel like the idea of, you know, you want to invite the Board, not the entire Board, but do you want to invite certain members to come and visit different sessions? Is that more appealing to you?

That's something that we're going back and forth on because if you take constituency and you try to stick it into this four day meeting, you end up with two days that are constituency days and the rest of the time doing, you know, cross-community collaboration. So that's a question I pose to you all.

You can't see this schedule. I don't think that we need to go through it day-by-day but we can certainly send it. Go ahead.

Philip Corwin: Are you able to share with us yet what the venue will be for the meeting in Panama?

Tanzanica King: It is at the Hard Rock Hotel.

Philip Corwin: Wow. I will, I was afraid you'd say that. I attended an inter-leadership meeting there in November. It has the world's worst WIFI, the slowest elevators imaginable. The only difference between the WIFI and the elevators is that they're both incredibly slow but at least the elevators don't crash constantly.

And there's not a single place in the hotel where one can have a quiet conversation. Every public area is inundated with rock and roll music at about

a hundred decibels. That was my experience. I think others had the same. But for an ICANN meeting, you better work on getting real WIFI in the rooms otherwise you're going to have thousands of complaints.

Rudi Vansnick: Yes Klaus.

Klaus Stoll: Yes, I really wanted to know, is there any way to reconsider that venue. Because I can't imagine (unintelligible). Please.

Lori Schulman: I am from INTA. We did host the meeting in Panama and those who were there will know that we definitely had logistical challenges. So I would offer maybe that you speak to me or one of our meeting planners because if you can't get out of the contract, there may be learnings that we can share.

I mean this is a venue, I know how this works. You know, the different cities could outbid. And you look at the facilities and you look at the price. I mean there's a lot that goes into the decision. And there's some pluses about Panama but I would say that as a venue, the Hard Rock was extremely challenging. So...

Klaus Stoll: Emphasis on extremely.

Tanzanica King: Say that one more time. Emphasis on extremely? I'm going to feel this one with, yes, I will definitely take all those concerns back to the entire meetings team, and Nick Tomasso, and I have a feeling we'll be able to address them without a problem. Let's leave it at that.

Christopher Wilson: Question on the Adobe chatter from Steve Metalitz, whether or not there is a Zika contingency planned for Panama in case that pops up.

Tanzanica King: It's in progress. Any other questions about Panama specifically?

Rudi Vansnick: I see questions, Christian, Greg, then Lori.

Christian Dawson: Can the (IMPROVIS) contingency plan not be Singapore?

Tanzanica King: Can't promise you anything.

Rudi Vansnick: Greg, you're next.

Greg Shatan: I'd like to touch on the meeting structure and not on the venue so I'll hold it until later if you want to continue to talk about Panama as a place as opposed to a meeting B as a concept.

Rudi Vansnick: Lori, you want to comment.

Lori Schulman: No actually mine was going to go to the substantive as well. Are we off the venue? I was going to get us off the venue. I did offer to, you know, we can help institutionally if you'd like it. That's all I'm offering. But that being said, I did have a question about the four days.

Because there are some organizations including my own that sometimes plan receptions or educational events around the meeting. And one of the questions that have been posed to me and I don't have a good answer because we've never done a meeting like this before is, do you think that this would be a venue where other organizations like my own wanted to host an educational session or an outside reception.

Is this the time to do it now or is it going to be so condensed it wouldn't make sense and maybe wait until Puerto Rico? Like I'm not sure how to plan for ancillary events.

Tanzanica King: So let me first say that I think that our first meeting B is going to be very similar as far as attendance goes to meeting A and C because people don't know what to expect. And even though we're trying to get this plan in place and change things up, everybody wants that 30 meeting pin and that 40 meeting pin.

And we have a pretty good feeling a lot of people are going to show up. It's not going to be too different. However, outreach is also a big portion so it sounds like some of what you're talking about could fit into that. Right now outreach is supposed to be day one but there's been some questions about, you know, what about if somebody wants to participate in two outreach events that are happening at the same time? We can't do it in one day.

So I'm looking at that but it's a big portion of what was intended for this meeting. So if you're thinking of it as outreach, I would say definitely plan for it.

Rudi Vansnick: Maybe Tanzanica, I have a question about the outreach and then I will handover to Greg. When I look at the schedule I see it's, outreach is ALAC but what about our community? Are we not allowed to do outreach because all of what I see in the outreach day is policy work. So when we are finished we have to work. The others can dance.

Tanzanica King: I would never punish you. Right now what you see is not fixed in, it's not set in stone. I'm only one person. Nick has done a lot of talking to different group

too but we certainly haven't gotten to everybody as much as I would have liked at this point.

So yes, ALAC is very, very gun ho and they've got their outreach stuff planned. That doesn't mean that you can't do outreach. It just means that I don't have the information from you yet, an outcome for you.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you. And we will provide you with some information. And maybe we can join ALAC in, as we have some same target audience. Maybe we can find a way of working together on this. Greg, you're next.

Greg Shatan: Thanks. I've got a couple of questions. The first one is, I'm trying to figure out who are we supposed to be making outreach to? To whom? Who is this audience of people? You know, it actually doesn't say we'll be doing policy work on the outreach day.

It says we'll be doing intro sessions and open house sessions. But, you know, is the point, people are supposed to wander over from ALAC and kind of learn like a science fair? I just don't get it. Are we supposed to fly in, you know, business people, intellectual property owners to Panama so that we can outreach them in some fashion?

I just don't get it. It's, the whole thing complete befuddles me. That's my first question.

Tanzanica King: So your question is actually the first question I had when we first put this on the schedule. And the answer that I've gotten in talking to all of the different groups is everybody has a completely different idea of what outreach is. Some people would prefer to call it in reach.

Some people want to take a bus and go out to a university. Some people want to bring people in. Some people just want to pay for somebody who's been to the meetings but can't afford to come. There are a hundred different ways that people see outreach.

So this is still been a topic...

Greg Shatan: I'm just looking for one that makes any relevance sense to the commercial...

Tanzanica King: We're not limiting people to only one. So we want to hear from you. If you don't want to do outreach, you don't have to. It's your four days. So these four days are meant for you to be able to get what you want to get done. So if doesn't apply to you, then that's okay.

Greg Shatan: I'm looking for one idea. I mean currently one of the selling points of this concept of meeting B was outreach and yet I'm still at a loss to figure out, how we would utilize this to do outreach. I don't think, not that I don't want to recruit members in Panama City but I can think of a few places where we'd probably be more fruitful in terms of kind of a lot of people on the ground to reach out to, you know, whether it's London or Tokyo or some other place.

So I just, again, it befuddles me. You know, I guess one idea is right, to ignore it and just don't do outreach and basically do, you know, what Rudi says, we'll just do our work. But that's basically kind of ignoring the concept. My second point is it seems to me that the extent that we do do thinks like constituency meetings and stakeholder group meetings, that there's at best maybe half the time available to us to do those things.

So I don't know if that's at all accurate. But basically we're going to have to start throwing things overboard like a balloon that's, you know, going to hit

the ground if you don't start throwing things off. So I don't know if that's kind of a fair metric?

Tanzanica King: So the way it became four days is we got rid of things like high interest topics. We got rid of public forum. We got rid of a lot of the things we understood to be distractions from, you know, your ability to get work done.

So when you look at the hours that we took away from that part of the schedule, you know, all of the (GTO B) meetings, anything that was, you know, high interest topics not just policy work, I think that the time somewhat makes up for it.

Not completely but if you look at the hours that are spent and the conflicts that we have in the regular meeting schedule because of all those meetings, the idea here is to get rid of those conflicts so that you can actually focus on the work.

Greg Shatan: I do understand the idea is to get rid of kind of those informational meetings. Some might call those outreach meetings but let's not touch that. But it still seems, you know, we spend, probably as a stakeholder group and constituency, maybe eight hours in open and closed meetings of the internal stakeholder group and the intellectual property constituency.

I don't see eight hours here available especially since we can't meet at the same time as the GNSO Council's meeting.

Tanzanica King: I understand your point but the whole, the idea here is to do something a little different. So ICANN meetings as they stand, there's a lot of problems we're having. We can't get rid of conflicts. And this all came from the community, not from the meetings team.

The meeting strategy working group did all of this work and they were all different members of the community. They wanted better working hours. They wanted less conflicts, more time to get policy work done and so on and so forth.

So, you know, this is still a work in progress. We're still working on the outreach portion. We're still working on how the schedule's going to work. But right now the whole idea is to really gather, I mean I'm taking all these points you're making and I am taking them in.

We need to just try this out, see how it works, adapt it, try something new.

Rudi Vansnick: We have the queue. We have Phil and then Avri.

Phil Corwin: Not a question but just a quick comment about too about the Panama meeting. First the intermeeting, we've already discussed the venue and its problems but it took place during the rainiest month of the year in Panama and I didn't see a single mosquito in Panama City. They have excellent mosquito control there so I don't think, the Zika, if you stay in the city is going to be a major issue.

Based on what I heard at the NamesCon meeting in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, even though I know these B meetings were envisioned as smaller meetings with smaller attendance, I would expect very heavy attendance there for two reasons.

One, a lot of people are skipping Marrakech because of the expense of getting there and also security concerns. And second, Panama is seen as a very attractive venue. So I would expect heavy participation by registries, registrars, domain investors.

Lots of people are not in the policy making community but who use ICANN meetings as networking events. So any assumptions that there's going to be small attendance for public events is probably incorrect. Thank you.

Rudi Vansnick: Avri, you're next. And then we have Heather.

Avri Doria: Thank you. Avri speaking. I actually think it will be quite fascinating this year to see whether we can learn to do something new and whether we can adapt it to new stuff. So I wish you and us all luck.

What I'd like to suggest though is for the last meeting of the year, that we actually include time and space to talk about how well we did with the experiment and whether we were educable or not and just to see. But, you know, otherwise I think it's a fascinating experiment.

Rudi Vansnick: Terrific idea. Heather, you're next.

Heather Forrest: Thanks very much. I just wanted to make the point there were a few comments made on the chat in the Adobe room. But in case they haven't been said, I think it's important to read them into the record.

I full well understand the objective of outreach and the potential that a small meeting has and I really understood meeting B to be more the boots on the ground get work down meeting.

And with that in mind, as a Councilor, I have some very significant concerns about the work level that we have in relationship to the numerous PDP's going on. Instead of take the point that this is an opportunity for outreach, my comment is every meeting is an opportunity for outreach and if it weren't then

we'd be in one location for every single meeting whether that's LA or somewhere else.

So I wouldn't like to see meeting B differently in that regard. And it's critical that we have face to face time within PDP working groups let's say speaking as a working group of the GNSO council and not traipsing around on busses and this sort of thing.

I want to be very careful that we don't, that we use our time effectively and we not lose an opportunity for face to face work. Thank you.

Tanzanica King: The point is very well taken and the subject of PDP working groups has come up over and over. I spoke with some member of the GAC yesterday and we are actually putting, I know you can't see the schedule because it's too tiny, but a few hours at least on the schedule there is supposed to be time that everyone can come and attend those joint sessions. So that's been brought up.

Brett Schafer: Thank you for the reminder to register. I actually neglected to do that so I just did that online. But I did notice that there is a possibility to register for the Marrakech and the Puerto Rico but not the Panama one. Is there a reason for that?

Tanzanica King: No reason but I can say at the moment. That I can think of. No. I'll send somebody a note and see what's going on.

Christopher Wilson: Susan?

Susan Payne: Thank you. Susan Payne for the record.

Thanks Tanzania for making it clear that there will be a few hours set aside for face to faces for PDPs.

I think we might need more than a few hours and that I think it will be important to be really careful about the scheduling of those face to face meetings.

Because, you know, we all keep talking about volunteer burnout. Well, you know, the reality is that the same people are on a number of these different working groups and it will not work if they're scheduled to all conflict with each other.

So we really do need quite a lot of time in the schedule for this. Thank you.

Rudi Vansnick: Greg you're next.

Greg Shatan: I just want to make a technical point in reference to the tiny, tiny schedule that in the Adobe Connect there's a little button that looks like four hours pointing in opposite directions that will undock in full-screen your schedule. And then you can blow it up and then there schedule isn't tiny, tiny.

There may be some benefit to not actually being able to see the schedule in terms of this but I'm just presuming that that's an oversight and maybe we would actually benefit from having the schedule large enough and which we can do due to the massive technology at our disposal.

Tanzanica King: And there you have it.

Rudi Vansnick: We have no further questions for at this point. Maybe you can move on with the - do you have other slides? No.

Tanzanica King: The other slides are really just the schedule, is going through the schedule. And I think the detail right now would probably take us over the edge.

The next thing that I'm planning to do is to try to get that call together with everybody in the next week or so. I'm going to need some help from the policy team to get that scheduled. But that's the next step.

And then of course in Marrakesh we will do a meeting and we will try and everything we can to schedule it at a time so that everybody who wants to come can.

It becomes difficult to schedule some of these things because of our inability to adhere to six breaks, lunch breaks, coffee breaks, 15 minutes between sessions.

I know all of you have been experiencing, you know, you can't schedule this or that. Slowly I've been trying to implement these things not to cause you pain but to create enough space in the schedule so that we can have lunch meetings so that everybody can come and things like that.

And one want more thing I want to say about Marrakesh please understand if we adjust some of your sessions to make sure that we have those 15 minutes because the space is so big I'm a bit concerned about your ability to walk from one building to the next.

So I'm going to be really hard-core about putting that 15 minutes in because otherwise you guys will run over and then you'll be complaining because there's people in your room and so just want to let you guys know that since I have you.

Rudi Vansnick: I have a question in the Adobe chat from Anne Aikman-Scalse. Does the GNSO having (sic) working sessions in Marrakesh on Saturday and Sunday prior to the meeting?

Tanzanica King: So the meeting officially starts on Saturday now. So the GNSO does have the regular working sessions on Saturday and Sunday.

Rudi Vansnick: Okay thank you. I have in the queue Marilia.

Marilia Ferreira Maciel: Thank you Marilia speaking.

Apparently from the schedule that you showed us this meeting B will not be a meeting necessarily for beginnings for the lack of sessions that will be informative. It will be really for those that are familiar with the process.

And we were discussing here that the Fellowship program has been adjusted and to accommodate that would be a meeting only for alumni, not for newcomers.

My question is first of all are you intending to make sure that Meeting B happens in places that are sort of already familiar with what ICANN does because it would be a shame to have a meeting in a region that is so (hermetical) for outsiders to understand and to participate.

So we can make sure that meetings be happening in places that at least has some previous contact with ICANN and what ICANN asks I think it would be more productive in terms of outreach.

And thinking about the Fellowship program seems there will be only alumni in Meetings B. Shouldn't there be an up with opportunity to include them in the policy process just in the working group, some kind of bridge to make sure that they are included and that there are more people to do the work?

And I don't know if you are involved with that but it would be an idea to take to the Fellowship program.

Tanzanica King: And I will take those comments to Janice for sure.

I know that they are working to create a program that initiates on the Monday but that allows for the fellows to go and be more involved in the policy work. So that is one of the goals definitely. I'll take all your comments to Janice.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you. Maybe a question I have and as a constituency leader when you say I'm - I will - you're going to contact the different groups normally to - we are working to Glen when we talk about logistics and facilities for meetings.

Do you expect that we are reaching out to you directly instead of going to Glen and try to see if we can figure out how we can best organize so that we don't have to bridge all over that way?

Tanzanica King: Absolutely. I think that we have to sort of make it so that it's not going from person to person to person so we can actually get this done. So yes please feel free to come directly to me and talk to me about this stuff.

Rudi Vansnick: And would that be for all the type of meetings or only for the B type?

Tanzanica King: So for you mean for every meeting, every little meeting that you have? So I'm scheduling 385 sessions for the entire community every single meeting at the moment. Hopefully it will not be so many for Meeting B.

Probably not a good idea to not go through Glen when you have, you know, you want to adjust something by an hour.

Glen and I have a really good process down for her. You know, she knows when to call me in the middle of the night. So keep going through her for all the little odds and ends.

But when it comes to the schedule planning for the new format for Meeting B I would love to have more direct communication with you.

Rudi Vansnick: So I when I look at the slide now there is - there are deadlines. Maybe it would be good if we could have some deadlines also for Panama and maybe for Puerto Rico so that inside the constituencies we can better organize their own meetings and to our meetings our conference call so that we can really plan okay that's the deadline. We need to be prepared.

Because if we want to do for instance outreach we have to go out also and see who can we reach and call on eventually to go to them or call them in a meeting. I think that it's a lot of work for us too. And it would be good if we know that's the deadline after that day no way, no changes anymore.

Tanzanica King: Yes these deadlines are somewhat aggressive. This includes Panama dates. And the reason being we want to make sure that the entire community is aware of what exactly is going to happen at Meeting B, what's the schedule going to look like.

I agree that we're probably going to find most of the community comes no matter what's because it's the first time we're doing this and they're not going to know exactly what to expect.

But as best we can we do want to post some sort of block schedule similar to what I have up here once we get agreement from everybody on overall what's going to happen each day.

And I want to get that posted before Marrakesh so that people know if they don't think they belong at Meeting B or they want to participate remotely they can do that.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you. I have Carlos in the queue now.

Carlos Gutierrez: I have no confirmation. But the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico gave a health warning on the new virus Zika today. Do you have a backup for the case that Panama might present a health problem this year?

Tanzanica King: And I apologize because I caught half of that but not the other half.

Carlos Gutierrez: We have some health problems and Latin America. Puerto Rico declared gave up today a health warning. And so I might expect that in a week or two or three Panama also gives the health warning. Do you have any preparations for that case?

David Olive: If I may, thank you. I'm sorry I was called away I was trying to get some clear message and guidance concerning the Panama meeting.

The board has made a decision to move the meeting scheduled to be held in Panama in June to another location due to the severity of the Zika virus outbreak in Latin America.

A search is currently underway to identify an alternative location where the virus is not a concern. We hope to return to Panama in the future. But at this stage we're looking for alternate places for that meeting for that very purpose Carlos to avoid those health and medical threats.

Rudi Vansnick: So Tanzania you can scratch your plan.

Tanzania King: Thank you so much David.

Rudi Vansnick: I see Marilyn.

Marilyn Cade: Thank you, Marilyn Cade speaking.

David, thank you for the currency of that comment. I would like to share a personal perspective as someone who is not funded to attend the ICANN meetings. And I understand the travel challenges but I also have observed a terrific tendency on ICANN's part to choose to go to Singapore. Let me finish.

And my concern really is as other venues are examined please take into account the financial implications for the community who is not funded to come to the ICANN meetings.

I understand that geographic issues are also a problem. But every time we go to Singapore -- and I'm really respectful of the fact we need to be in Asia --

but every time we go to a really expensive area it presents a significant financial impact on the participants from the community.

David Olive: If I may respond thank you Marilyn. And indeed the other locations will be looked at for availability and convenience, not necessarily a default of Singapore but I take your point.

Rudi Vansnick: Heather and then Stephanie.

Heather Forrest: Thanks very much. I've start - I've nearly put my card up and down a few times on this and it's something that I've sort of suffered in silence on. And I don't like to raise it. It's - I feel like it's bad manners.

But a number of us have had some challenges with ICANN channel for a variety of meetings really, really bizarre itineraries, quite (sloppy) emails back when we say that 43 hours itineraries are not really helpful or acceptable to our ICANN participation.

Is there somewhere - I mean I come to these meetings and I hear other people who share my concerns. Is there somewhere that we should be directing those concerns? And if so where should we be doing that to?

Again I apologize. I don't mean to complain. I hate to complain. We all appreciate the fact that we have travel support. But there are times when the travel support can be quite negative in its attitude and it's not helpful. Thanks.

Rudi Vansnick: David?

David Olive: May I? We sometimes term that the scenic route great. I've been through that too and that's not the best for everyone to see the world via the opposite direction. I understand fully.

Let me just also say two things. One, we're having a new travel service provider beginning after Marrakesh. We hope that it will improve things, be more, excuse me, Orbitz-like for convenience and giving the traveler a little more flexibilities to select routes that they may want to have or alternative ways.

And so we hear you on that. And we think this new service provider will be helpful that way to have someone like a Joseph who and his assistant that was recently hired should be the problem solvers, not the problem - not the booking agents. That should be done more automatically through that Orbitz-like approach.

And we hope that those improvements plus adding on some information about visas will help address the issues you raised Heather and hopefully make it easier for all of you travelers.

Heather Forrest: Thanks David very much. I'm going to seize the opportunity to follow-up.

I very much appreciate that. I appreciate your assurances about change in external provider.

To the extent that we experience just for the record it's not simply let's say I mean scenic route is putting it very nicely. And there's an attitude problem as well unfortunately.

And I think a number of us are really understanding myself included that that team is very busy and it's a stressful position. And you're dealing with lots of people. I take all of that on board. But at the end of the day it's a service provision.

So I suppose it would be lovely as well to follow-up from you if you can say that you've heard the concerns and that they'll get taken back. Let's say that the message will be communicated back. And to the extent that we have any problem with going forward with this new service which I'm super hopeful that we don't where should we go with those David? Thanks.

David Olive: You can come to me and I'll convey that to the travel team that takes care of that today.

Christopher Wilson: Yes one - just reminder please give your name for transcription purposes when you ask your questions and close to the mic as well. So Stephanie then I think Jimson is next after that.

Stephanie Perrin: Stephanie Perrin for the record. Thank you very much David for that assurance. I think most of my concerns have been met by what Heather was just speaking about. I strongly endorse what she said. I'm a veteran of 30 years of government travel so I know what being sent backwards is like.

It seems to me the problem is it's the cheapest ticket that they go for. And that's just not acceptable when we're already donating our time. So I'd like to put in a bid for having an appeal mechanism because unfortunately we don't really until you've volunteered we haven't had one.

In terms of what Marilyn was saying about the cost I'm putting a plug-in for Canada I think our dollar is below 70 cents now. It'll go a long way.

Rudi Vansnick: Jimson?

Jimson Olufuye: Thank you. Jimson Olufuye for the record. Also to say plus one to Heather's comment. And I think the - that department (unintelligible) a lot of activity. So with somebody coming on board and more orientation go a long way.

And as I'm (unintelligible) about ethics too then it will be communicated. Once you get a message it's very important you respond, you know, immediately. That is basic ethical at least standard that needs to be made at this level.

Then secondly I'm kind of concerned about the Morocco, you know, Visa because I've checked the Web sites (unintelligible) now and it's a general provision that you can just get visa on arrival.

So I think the condition is if there's no consulate in your country, in Nigeria for example there is a standard requirement - in fact the load of requirement is so long and I felt it's not good enough to - if a mission can be communicated downward and then so that they can readily attend, you know, to those coming not - may not be (unintelligible) for Nigeria were to affect other countries across Africa the condition is highly stringent, lot of documents they require.

And I think if you can make it flat that yes can actually get visa on a waiver that would be really splendid. That would be really good. Thank you.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you Jimson. And maybe to follow-up on the visa issue as in our constituency we have some experience also with failing visas.

As far as I remember there is some deadlines also about the confirmation that a traveler has to deliver the confirmation of having a visa. Maybe it's good to clarify to us what is the deadline so that we can from our constituency check with our travelers that they are following these rules.

Tanzanica King: I'm going to the Web site to see if we have any deadlines posted. Of course I would definitely - I leave for Marrakesh in three weeks. So I think this is one of those things where once we announce locations people should start their visa application process.

I can't give you an exact deadline right now because I really don't know what they are.

But it seems to me there's a lot of people who come to us for hotel rooms and that they're just starting their visa process sometimes later than they should. It definitely should be more than three weeks before our meeting. Yes.

Rudi Vansnick: Marilyn?

Tanzanica King: Marilyn?

Marilyn Cade: Thank you, Marilyn Cade speaking. Let me offer a different idea. And I'm really glad David is here.

When we choose an IGF host site as a condition of being the host country we ask for special treatment on visas. There's no reason that ICANN staff cannot do that because the host is the government that you are negotiating with.

I'm not saying the government is - I should say that a little differently. Because you are engaging with the government of that country when you plan

the meeting and you have relationships you can do that. I understand it may seem like more work but you can do that.

Look, in many countries the attendee cannot apply for the visa until they have their confirmed airfare and their confirmed hotel. You cannot go get a visa as an American citizen to another country unless you have your confirmed flight, unless you have a hotel.

Okay. So perhaps instead of thinking about it as we should apply before three weeks ahead we should ask ICANN to think proactively about what they might be able to negotiate from the country we're going to about some special treatment to help us which might be extending the courtesy of visa on arrival to those who are registered.

The second point I will make is that in some cases you have to send your passport away for six to eight weeks. Some people actually have other business they have to use their passport for.

Rudi Vansnick: David you want to (unintelligible)?

David Olive: Thank you. And the - there is a big distinction Marilyn. The IGF is under the United Nations (Agis) and their host government agreements government to government can allow this.

We try to ask for similar treatment. Sometimes our hosts are not the government per se. But we try - we understand these issues are ever-increasing. And in Marrakesh we're having a little more cooperation in advance of that.

Jimson to your point I had to help someone from Iran get a visa via the consulate in Istanbul. And Nick in the travel team has been very helpful.

On your travel requests there is a visa section that you can also click. And this kind of alerts us to that and trouble - we try to troubleshoot those who have an individual and distinct problems to do that.

The idea would be to have that granting of immediate visa authorities. But even when I was going to an IGF meeting in Brazil and presented that letter to the consulate in Washington DC I was told to get to the end of the line. And I had to complain and ask Marcus Toomer to intervene with the ambassador to get me a regular visa at that time.

So it's not all foolproof at the IGF either. And we are unfortunately rightly or wrongly subjected to visa requirements across the board that are becoming more stringent.

Our point should be to try to help people get them as fast as we can and that's what we're trying to do.

Rudi Vansnick: Farzaneh?

Farzaneh Badii: Thank you Farzaneh Badii. I have heard these arguments and counter arguments a tons of time before. And I think we need a more organized effort to overcome the problems.

So one of the things that I've done because I have an Iranian passport it's almost impossible for me to go anywhere without a visa. What I have done is to have kind of like an informal working party of for people what sort of

challenges they face. And then we will - and ICANN staff has been very helpful.

And they told me that we should tell them our problems and then they will try to solve it or we can solve it together.

The other thing is that for the embassies, the embassies around the world have different policies believe it or not when one embassy in one country has a different rule from the other embassy in another country.

And the travel policy I think should consider kind of flexibility when they issue tickets or the condition of the person that is applying and where they are applying because sometimes the embassy in one country does not allow you to apply for a visa three weeks before the travel. So we have to consider all these things. So I suggest a more organized effort, join a working group or like an informal working party, tell your experiences and then we can just kind of overcome the problems gradually.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you very much. And I would reiterate we already tried and I think it was in Singapore we have been sitting together with a few people with the meeting team with the travel team.

And I would agree maybe it's time to have an ad hoc working group trying to look together on what are the experiences where does it fail, where does it work and start having a kind of KPI on what can work and what cannot work so that there's progress made because it's something that I'm hearing also for seven, eight years now and it looks like there is no solution.

Although I'm convinced that if we are following certain procedures we will end up having solutions for those who have to come. And they should all the

travelers who have issues should at least to their constituency or the stakeholder group give a report so that we can validate also what's going wrong otherwise we'll never know.

David you want to answer?

David Olive: Yes I like that idea and of bring it up with our travel support team to have some sort of standing group and a way to kind of alert them to potential visa issues. As you pointed out this is a very good approach.

We had I think a very successful link to the Irish government in trying to resolve some of these. We used that experience gained with the Moroccan government and I think they understand that.

We - bringing an ICANN meeting to a country or city is a very important element to some of their priorities for visitors and whatnot and we should try to leverage that to make it easier for people to come.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you David. Anybody else having questions for Tanzania or for David with regards to meetings and travel?

I don't see anything that many have heard a lot and are quite happy that Panama is off the record for the moment.

Maybe will find another city where there is a virus Zika will move again to another place.

That means that in fact the four day meeting will not happen at the end if we don't find a place where to go.

So I would like to thank Tanzanica for bringing us some good and even better or worse messages.

And I would like to insist on trying to put a small group together in order to try to solve these difficult issues of visa as we understand that people are enthusiastic to come to a meeting and when they are not unable to come their motivation is disappearing. And that's not what we want from volunteers.

I think that all of us as we are all volunteers its painful if you have to spend two, three days to get your visa. It's extra time that doesn't bring you a penny.

So thank you again and maybe Robert with that we can have an additional break.

Robert Hoggarth: I like how you asked me that. Thank you very much. Let - can we all please thank Tanzanica, David, Rudi and Chris for their efforts?

The next plenary session is scheduled for 2:00 PM in 22 minutes. Mr. Shatan and Mr. Tarvainen will be the co-chairs for a discussion of third rail issues.

So you are free to network, bask in the sunshine, chat until that time. Thank you.

END