
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening.

ALBERTO SOTO: Good evening, good afternoon, good night. This is the last meeting of LACRALO in the year. I would now like to give the floor to Terri from staff. Go ahead, Terri, please.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the LACRALO December Monthly Meeting taking place on Monday, the 21st of December, 2015, at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel, we have Johnny Laureano, Raitme Citterio, Aida Noblia, Alberto Soto, Adrian Carballo, Vanda Scartezini, Maritza Agüero Minano, Humberto Carrasco, Ricardo Holmquist, and Jason Hynds.

On the English channel, we have Bartlett Morgan and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

On the Portuguese channel, we have Alyne Andrade.

We have apologies from Jacqueline Morris, Sylvia Herlein Leite, Fatima Cambroner, Leon Sanchez, Harold Arcos, and Javier Chandía.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich; Silvia Vivanco; Ariel Liang; and myself, Terri Agnew.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Veronica and David. Our Portuguese interpreters today are Bettina and Espernza.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters. Thank you very much. I'll now turn it back over to you, Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you very much, Terri. We will now go to item number three, which is approval of the agenda.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much. We will now go to item number four. In principle, we asked Leon and Harold to provide a report, but none of them were able to do this. So Ariel is going to talk about that. And for that, we will have ten minutes. Then item number five, Sebastien Bachollet will provide us with information on the IANA transition. Then in item number six, Alberto will talk to us about LACNIC. And item number seven, we will see a summary of documents and a review [inaudible] update. Item number eight, Dev Anand will talk to us about the outreach and engagement LACRALO program. He will have ten minutes for that. Then at the end we will have ten minutes to end our meeting.

This is our agenda. Our agenda is approved, and Alberto you now have the floor.

ALBERTO SOTO: The only modification, Humberto, will be an exchange between items number four and five, if Sebastien Bachollet is on the call, because he had a very short time and we agreed that he will go first with the development of item number four.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Let's check then if Sebastien Bachollet is on the call, please. So Sebastien is not on the call.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Hello? I'm here.

ALBERTO SOTO: Let's go on with our agreed agenda. Ariel, please go ahead.

ARIEL LIANG: Just confirming some of the [inaudible] Sebastien was next. I think I heard Sebastien on the call.

ALBERTO SOTO: Ariel, can you hear us?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, I can hear you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Go ahead, Ariel, please with the publications that we need to see in ALAC – the public comments. Please go ahead.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thank you very much, Alberto. I'm sharing my screen right now because that will be easier for you to see the public comments that the ALAC has responded to and is in progress developing statements for. I also pasted a link in the chat that directs you to the new At-Large website and the page that's dedicated to public comment proceedings.

So what you see right now is the full list of published statements in response to public comments. And just to give you a quick hint, if you want to see, for example, the statements submitted in the past month, you can put a date at the start date box, for example, here. And then you will see all the statements that the ALAC has drafted in response to public comments. In the interest of time for this call, I will not go in detail of all these statements.

Now I would like to just look at one particular public comment that the ALAC is in the process of developing a statement for. As you can see on the screen, there is only one public comment that's in progress, the CCWG Accountability draft proposal work stream 1 recommendation.

The status for now is the ALAC has been soliciting comments from across the At-Large community and tonight – in fact, in about 46 minutes – the public comment period will close and Alan Greenberg will submit the statement on behalf of the ALAC.

And in tomorrow's ALAC monthly teleconference, the statement will be – a ratification vote will be held. It will be a ratification after the fact. So that's the status of the public comment that's in progress right now.

And now I will take you to another page which is the wiki workspace of all the public comment proceedings. I'm also going to paste the link in the chat. As you can see, we have a number of new public comment proceedings that are to be determined. So that means that the ALAC is considering whether to submit a comment or not. I will just talk us through them one by one.

The one that's going to close quickly is notice of preliminary determination to grant registrar data retention waiver request for a [inaudible] Technologies, Inc. [inaudible]. This is not a regular public comment, but if you are following the At-Large mailing list, you can see there is a lot of discussion about that. Currently, Alan Greenberg, the ALAC chair, is following with some of the members in the community and seeing whether the ALAC should issue an official statement on that or not.

The second public comment proceeding is about registration data access protocol (RDAP) operational profile for gTLD registries and registrars. Currently, Holly Raiche and Carlton Samuels are reviewing this public comment and later on will advise to the ALAC whether the ALAC needs to write a statement for this public comment. But we welcome all of you to take a look at this public comment and provide your feedback and suggestions.

The third public comment proceeding is proposed implementation of GNSO Thick WHOIS consensus policy requiring consistent labeling and display of RDDS WHOIS output for all gTLDs.

Similar to the previous one, RDAP, Holly Raiche, Carlton Samuels, and Alan Greenberg, they are also reviewing this public comment and will later advise the ALAC whether a statement is necessary. But still, it's open for community members across RALOs to provide advice.

Then the fourth one is the launch of supplementary registration proxy service for gTLDs operated by XYZ.com LLC. Holly Raiche is also reviewing this public comment that will later advise the ALAC whether to submit a statement.

The next one is label generation ruleset for the root zone version one LGR1. IDN Policy Working Group is reviewing this public comment and later on will also advise whether the ALAC should respond or not.

The next one is the release of country and territory names within all these new gTLDs. In fact, it's a new public comment, but in the past ALAC has not commented on any of the public comment proceedings in that nature. So it likely will be no statement for this public comment.

The last one is continuous data-driven analysis of root server system stability CDAR [inaudible] plan. So far the ALAC hasn't had any volunteers to review this public comment yet and haven't decided whether to respond or not.

All these public comments that are TBD are welcoming volunteers to review and provide ALAC suggestion whether to draft a statement.

That's just a very quick overview of the public comments. I will turn the floor over to Alberto or Humberto. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you very much. I would like to create an action item, Silvia, please, in the following manner.

INTERPRETER: Apologies, but we are not listening to Alberto properly. We are getting his line cut up all the time.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Alberto, we cannot hear you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Hello? It would be nice to create an action item on the following.

INTERPRETER: Alberto gets cut up all the time.

ALBERTO SOTO: It would be then to know when the public comment period opens and when it closes. I would say – I mean, I'm going to write this in the chat, otherwise you're not going to understand me. So please bear with me one second.

Can you hear me now? Hello? Can you hear me?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes. Go ahead, please.

ALBERTO SOTO: I have just typed in the chat the action item. ALAC members should inform the time that [inaudible] to be dealt with before or after the public comment is opened. Humberto, please, let's continue with the following item on the agenda. This is Sebastien Bachollet's speech.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes. Sebastien is our next speaker, but he is not on the call yet.

ALBERTO SOTO: So I will continue. So we have reviewed some comments on the MOU, the document that was proposed, and there were certain things that were okay. Some other things were not understandable. They were not possible to understand. And in some cases, it was not understood what we were proposing. That will [inaudible] the time of the publication of the MOU.

So what I did was this. I changed the document. Now I'm going to post the link on the AC. There you see the link on the document we have been dealing with. And below the [inaudible] of document, you will see the new proposed document.

This new document is the one that is already signed by AFRALO and NARALO for sure. These copies, they are exactly the same with no

modification, with no amendment, because ALSes are enjoying the benefit of these agreements with their own [RIRs] and we are still in the course of debating certain things and we are wasting time.

So what I would like to mention is this. An MOU with our RIR – well, to tell you the truth, I don't think this will be beneficial, except that a very skillful professional might coordinate with them something else. But the ones that are benefitted from are at our region because we can get fellowship programs, because we can attend meetings, there are people to be trained and so on.

But there is no clear benefit that we can give to them. And now AFRALO and NARALO are [obtaining] the benefit.

So if you [inaudible] this link, you will see the document. I've already sent the information by e-mail. This has now been posted for comment right now and this comment period will be closing within ten days.

Dev, go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Can you hear me?

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes, Dev. Go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. First, thanks for making this a little bit more legible. It was very hard to read, especially on a mobile phone, to read the document which I [inaudible] scrolling endlessly.

Well, Alberto, you suggested that [inaudible] will benefit. But perhaps we could look at knowledge sharing. By that, for example, what we could look at is propose that LACNIC offer a fellowship to attend one of the LACNIC meetings. The commitment then will be for that person that attends on behalf of LACRALO to that session should then be able to give a presentation and all detailed reporting to LACRALO on the possible policies that are [out for] comment, etc.

That's a suggestion. That's something that's more tangible. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you very much, Dev. A point of clarification. This is already discussed with Alejandro Pisanty, [Oscar Robles]. Humberto Carrasco spoke with Oscar Robles. I also talked to [inaudible]. He is also with Oscar Robles. He is the chair of [inaudible]. So we already discussed this for them and they are waiting for us to take this document to start working.

The thing is that we do not want to complicate things. We want to make it simple because things are [being made] on the way. We may have a technical team or we may not have a technical team, but we may have some other option.

So to have these in detail, well, this is not good for us because it is delaying things and it is not good for us. Any other question or any other comment?

So I see no comments, so Humberto, please let's proceed with the following item on the agenda. This is item number seven.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Humberto, if you are speaking, we are not hearing you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Can you hear me now? Okay. Before dealing with item number seven, I would like to make a comment on the MOU with LACNIC. I fully agree with Alberto Soto and I do understand... I am in favor in general to follow the MOUs that are being used by the other RALOs to see how they work.

Based on that, we can improve our MOU. Otherwise, I believe that every time we want to move forward and we want to have something perfect, sometimes perfect things are not good enough.

So after having said this, I would like to proceed with item number seven. And when it comes to this item on the agenda, I would like to say that we have proceeded with the voting of the document, but when it comes to [7.8], there is voting with [inaudible] Alejandro Pisanty. We are preparing together with the staff this voting that will begin after the holidays – probably after the first week of January. So we will then inform the date.

Once this voting is over, we will proceed with the voting itself. We will proceed with the voting of the proposal for the issuance, drafting, and publication of statement.

At the same time, we have also two other topics that we need to discuss and this is the recruitment program for [inaudible] and the proposal of metrics. So after that, we will begin with the voting at the beginning of next year.

So this is in general terms when it comes to item number seven, and when it comes to document of review and update. Now you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

ALBERTO SOTO:

I would like to add something else. We are going to speak about metrics in the near future. I don't know if we... I think we have the translation of both documents – translation made by the staff.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

I believe Sebastien Bachollet is with us on the call.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Yes, I have seen him on the AC. So Sebastien is with us. If Sebastien is ready to speak, we can give him the floor right now or we can wait a couple of minutes. Sebastien, are you ready to speak? We will wait for Sebastien Bachollet to get ready.

I would like to say that I have asked Sebastien to speak because he is one of the ALAC members that is actively participating in the IANA transition process, especially in the discussion of a document that is closing right now at 23:00 UTC which has certain topics that are really important.

So I asked him to kindly come to this meeting to speak about the most conflicting issues when it comes to that document so we can see how they can impact the timeframe for the IANA transition.

So if Sebastien is ready, go ahead, please.

TERRI AGNEW: Sebastien is not connected on the audio yet and his Adobe Connect line has dropped. We'll continue trying to reach back out to him.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Alberto, if I may, we could give the floor to Dev.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay. Dev, would you be so kind so as to start while we wait for Sebastien to connect? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. I do have a presentation that I put on the agenda, and can that be put up on the screen, please? Thanks.

While that's being uploaded right now, I can probably start talking and say a few words about the ALAC Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee and the activities of the LACRALO members in that working group.

Just to give an introduction, the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement developed strategies to reach out to new potential members of the At-Large community and to engage new and existing members of the At-Large community. Hence the name outreach and engagement.

It's to reach out to new potential members and to engage new and existing members of the At-Large community so that we could continue to fulfill At-Large and ALAC's role in ICANN activities.

Just to give some history here, the ALAC Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee was formerly just the Outreach Subcommittee and the key activities for this committee from 2013 was to coordinate and manage efforts related to the Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program (CROPP) for At-Large in conjunction with the ALAC Finance and Budget Subcommittee.

In 2015, at ICANN 52, the ALAC voted to change the focus of the Outreach Subcommittee to also include engagement, hence the name change to the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee.

So a call was sent out soon after ICANN 53 by asking RALOs whose members are interested in outreach and engagement activities for their RALOs to be in the subcommittee to better coordinate and collaborate with all of At-Large on outreach and engagement.

After that call [inaudible] responded from At-Large, the first outreach and engagement subcommittee call was held on August 3, 2015. I see the upload is still in progress. Okay. So be it.

Just to mention who are the members of the –

ALBERTO SOTO: Dev, if I may, I have a question.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly. Go ahead, Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: I have two questions, Dev. I mentioned that this LACRALO plan was not presented to LACRALO and was not approved by them. I mean, I am not criticizing you, but we have already a similar plan that is implemented that is open for discussion. My first question is why this plan was represented or submitted to [inaudible] to decide based on consensus if they're going to accept [inaudible] committee, for example.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: One of our ALAC members wanted to contact with someone in [Cuba] to create a new ALS. So the implementation of that plan is a responsibility

of that subcommittee because I believe this should be dealt with within LACRALO. Go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Alberto. The proposal was indeed submitted to the LACRALO mailing list. I can easily post a timeline of this. The LACRALO members of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee [posted] the strategic plan and they posted it on September 8, 2015 and we received two comments – one from Alejandro and also you, Alberto.

I responded to it and we did incorporate the suggestions made regarding it.

The outreach strategy does reference the existing work that was done by the LACRALO.. Under LACRALO –

ALBERTO SOTO: If I may, Dev, that was never dealt with. That didn't have a start date or an end date. I mean, I didn't know about that. Then I suddenly realized that it was the plan that it was being implemented, but we didn't know about that. I don't know if the subcommittee is the appropriate party to deal with it. Thank you. Go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Unfortunately, then I have to say I did post it to the list, and I also specified the timeline and the reasons why this was being presented as such. So like I said, it was posted September 8, 2015.

Comments were received from Alejandro and yourself. And the strategy was updated to reflect those comments.

So I see now the slides for the presentation is now up.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay. So why is implementation being carried out by the subcommittee and not by LACRALO?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Alberto. This is the purpose of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee members. So if I may continue with the slide presentation? Next slide. Thank you.

So if we look at the persons that responded to the call to join the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee, it's Jose Arce, Juan Manuel Rojas, Carlton Samuels, Jacqueline Morris, Jason Hynds, Johnny Laureano, Vanda Scartezini, Antonio Medina Gomez, Bartlett Morgan, Harold Arcos, and Niran Beharry, and Roosevelt King, who was also a member of this group and who responded to the call.

So these are the members that worked together to develop the draft strategy and then [inaudible] this to the list on September 8. So let me just also then continue. Next slide.

So the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee has had seven meetings since ICANN 53, including a face-to-face meeting and reporting at ICANN 54. So a key requirement for the CROPP program for FY '16 is the development of our outreach strategic plan for each RALO

so that each RALO's outreach strategic plan should explain its FY '16 outreach goals and planned expectations so that any selected CROPP activates can be coordinated with the appropriate ICANN Global Stakeholder Engagement teams.

There was also a specific deadline that if this was not done by September 30, CROPP funding will not be made available to the RALO. So the Outreach Subcommittee members then worked to develop their RALO strategic plan. And I've provided links in the presentation for all of those RALOs. Next slide. Oh, I can adjust the slides. Okay, let me do that myself.

So here's the bullet-points of the LACRALO outreach strategy. So from our LACRALO dashboard, there are 13 countries out of 33 countries without At-Large structures. An aim will be to get three new ALSes from three territories without At-Large structures for FY '16. We will maintain the outreach calendar to track possible regional ICT and IG events where persons and/or possible ALSes from those territories are likely to attend.

The Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee members from LACRALO will be conducting a survey of possible individuals and/or organizations that will be At-Large candidates in those countries without At-Large structures. And once a sufficient number of individual groups are identified, attempts will be made to contact such individuals to invite them on a series of conference calls so that such individuals can join At-Large.

And if there are no particular outreach events in a country without At-Large structure and no formal organizations that could be ALSes, but a sufficient number of individuals found, then the effort will be made to organize a face-to-face event to bring such individuals together. And I've provided the link on the activities of what LACRALO has done in the past, in terms of possible organizing of outreach events or planning face-to-face events.

Okay. So the next slide, let me just show quickly some slides of the various tools. So this is a screenshot of the LACRALO dashboard, identifying the 33 countries and the 20 countries with At-Large structures and the 13 countries without any At-Large structures.

Next slide. The LAC outreach event calendar. The link is in the presentation below. And just to highlight some of the events identified so far, we have the [South School] of Internet Governance 2016, the IETF 95 meeting in April in Argentina, the ARIN 37 meeting. ARIN is one of the RIRs in North America and Caribbean. That's going to be in Jamaica. And the Caribbean Network Operators Group, which often discusses a variety of ICT and IG topics, will also be at Montego Bay, Jamaica. Finally, LACNIC 26 will also be May 2-6, 2016.

So all the members of the LACRALO Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee have had editing rights to the calendar. But two persons volunteered. Bartlett Morgan and Jose Arce have volunteered to regularly post to the LACRALO meeting list and keep asking for event suggestions and ideas so that they themselves would do the updating on the calendar, based on the input received from LACRALO. Next slide. Actually, that's a slide that should have been taken out.

Maybe let's also go quickly into these spreadsheets to track possible At-Large candidates. So what I did, we put a spreadsheet. It's a Google sheet for all of the LACRALO members of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee, which lists the 13 countries. If you look at the bottom, you can see the various tabs for each of the countries. And we assigned key persons in outreach and engagement with responsibilities to find persons or organizations in the countries. Okay, next slide.

So one of the things that I did was that I also put a sources tab, and the idea behind trying to find persons. So the way it works is that we want to find persons interested in local IG and ICT events in their country. So those responsible for finding persons, they search the country for any ICT/IG issues that were commented on. You search for groups and/or persons that have commented on ICT/IG issues and also consider social network.

What we did is put together some of the links of various ICT/IG events. The Internet Governance Forum has a listing of participants that have attended IGFs. The Fellowship program, there's a spreadsheet that was done by Glenn McKnight and Outreach and Engagement members. Diplo Foundation, they hold educational courses on Internet governance. So the alumni from those courses would be good candidates. And also LACNIC meetings. LACNIC has also been hosting various [attending] of their meetings. So from that, we'll be looking to find those persons from those countries without At-Large structures.

So finally, the last slide, just to give you idea of what each country's [job] would look like. So each person in the LACRALO Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee would take the submission, add the name

of the person, their e-mail address, phone number, organization, social contacts, whether they're on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever, and any additional things. That's what the group is working on right now.

So I have posted some of the links here in this slide that talks about... Well, all the links related to what the ALAC subcommittee is working on, the work being done by the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee. And I want to emphasize that anybody in LACRALO that cares about outreach, or cares about engagement, please join the working group. Please join the subcommittee, because there's a lot of work to do. But it's an important goal.

So I think I can stop here and then answer any questions or comments. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Thank you very much, Dev. Do any of you have a question?

Let me ask this, Dev. [inaudible] on this that from your presentation, what I see is that the members of the committee will be in charge of doing everything without really asking any questions or getting any advice from LACRALO or to get consensus [coming] to see who can do what or who does what in each country.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No.

ALBERTO SOTO: Why do you do you have such a total autonomy on your subcommittee, with total independence of what the LACRALO people may think?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Alberto. That's not so. I mean, these are all LACRALO members that have decided to join this committee and work on these activities. So they are not going to be working in isolation. So, in fact, once we have identified sufficient individuals and so forth, we'll be working with the GNSO Secretariat, because obviously for travel, if we are going to decide on what CROPP [inaudible] for example – the Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program, - we'll then propose which of the CROPP [inaudible] should we undertake, based on the events we've identified and so forth.

But I won't say it's done in isolation. All of the documentation is up to date. Again, if there are persons in LACRALO who care about this and are interested in this, please join this working group.

ALBERTO SOTO: Dev, once again, I oppose the fact that the subcommittee works this way. This is a lack of transparency. And the only people who will participate and who will do whatever they have to do – I mean, it's only those who are in the subcommittee, and this should not be so. We have always worked at the level of the LACRALO consensus, not at the level of a group or subgroup or working group or committee-level consensus, or whatever name you want to call them. I totally oppose this. We have already had a bad start with that. This is a lack of transparency.

And if we add more people, this is not really the solution. Consensus is a thing within the list of LACRALO, not within the list of the subcommittee. So please review that and then inform [the lead]. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alberto, I'll disagree with you on this. We've been extremely transparent. We've made regular postings to the mailing list. It's only because we've not been having any working group updates on LACRALO agendas for a long while that we haven't had this.

Might I suggest making it an action item to ensure that we don't have this misunderstanding that you seem to have? Let's make an update from the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee on all LACRALO calls.

ALBERTO SOTO: Dev, I insist there is a lack of transparency because LACRALO does not participate. Everything is decided by a subcommittee. There is no consultation inwards. And as you will see, there is people who do not participate. They do not get involved in the LACRALO meetings or in the webinars or in whatever [special] they have, and they are within the subcommittee. So it's people who are not really participating within LACRALO in our meetings. They don't really know what the issues are, and they are actually participating in a subcommittee that's in charge of everything.

So the action item will be the following. We will explain this in the LACRALO list, and we will see who will be in charge of all of that. This is what the action item will be. We will clarify who will implement this policy. We will propose this on the list. We will discuss this, and we will reach consensus within LACRALO. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alberto, I will disagree. The working group is open to everyone in LACRALO to join, and the working group calls are open. The working group calls are posted—

ALBERTO SOTO: Humberto Carrasco, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Alberto. Well, I believe that these decisions are made without the decision or without the approval of the LACRALO [inaudible] members. We need coordination. And I do understand that in this case, we should have an action item to discuss with the LACRALO members this document, because the LACRALO region is being affected. This subcommittee should be coordinated and work with the members, because decisions are being made, even when they are published on the LACRALO mailing list. There is no coordination. There is no official coordination for this.

So I believe that in order to get a good response, we should create an action item just to see the way in which we should interact with the

LACRALO leaders or LACRALO members and the subcommittee, because this will have an impact on the region. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Dev, go ahead please. You have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. And again, it's been very transparent. It's just that there's been very little response from you and [Humberto]. All of these postings have been posted to the mailing list. And I think it's a little bit unfair of Alberto to insinuate that the members of this working group are somehow subpar or inferior members of LACRALO. So I think this is very unfortunate.

Again, anyone in LACRALO can participate in the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee work. The working group calls are open. The transcripts are available. The meetings are announced on the mailing list. And the working group has been working together on these issues. And perhaps the other persons from the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee could take the floor. And I see some comments already in the chat about this.

So I suggest let's make this an action item to have an update from the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee on the work that's being done, rather than [inaudible].

ALBERTO SOTO:

Thank you very much, Dev. So, Dev, thank you very much for your comment. What I am saying is this, that this subcommittee cannot make decisions by itself. I mean, they have to be discussed within LACRALO. It's a committee. It cannot make decisions on behalf of LACRALO regardless of the members, regardless if it's completely approved by LACRALO members. I mean, this is something that should be done within the LACRALO meetings. This should be discussed within LACRALO meetings.

So perhaps we can agree on that. Perhaps everything is fine and nothing is being changed. But if we're going to make decisions, well, that is LACRALO. LACRALO should make decisions in a GA or in a meeting, but not a subcommittee. So we will clarify this by email. Don't worry about that.

Any other suggestion or any other comment that you would like to make?

Okay, I see no one with their hands up. So if that is the case, we will give the floor now to Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Hello. I don't know if you can hear me.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Hi, Sebastien. Yes, we can hear you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay. I am in the English channel, and I am really sorry my Internet connection is just not working. I am in my country. Normally it's working, but maybe because it's the middle of the night.

I guess you wanted me to come as a member of the so-called CCWG Accountability, Cross-Community Working Group on accountability, to tell you where we are, both at the level of the CCWG and at the level of the ALAC, or At-Large, on this issue. Is that what you are expecting me to tell you this afternoon for you?

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes, that's right, Sebastien. Go ahead, please.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay. Then as you may have seen, the CCWG on accountability has produced a third report and opened public comment. We're about to finish. It closed yesterday for me and in the morning for you, something like that. And we are at the end of the public comments. And ALAC produced a comment that you may have also received. If you get the opportunity to read either the report of CCWG or the response by At-Large, we can have this discussion now to [inaudible] on that subject.

But before going there, I just want to raise the question of the calendar. What are the important dates? Because all that needs to be finished on time, or hopefully on time. And the last day to [set] needs to be an agreement by all the organizations who are participating the CCWG on accountability. And therefore, ALAC is one of them and a decision must be taken if we support the final document by the 21 of January.

And what will be the final document? The final document will be produced now, because with comment received on the third report, the CCWG must take them into account, or can take them into account, decide to incorporate some comments. And we hope, as at At-Large, that some comments made by ALAC will be taken into account, especially the question linked with the how many SOs and ACs need to be participating when then decision to change the [full board]. It's one important point. And other thresholds who [announce] the [inaudible].

For the moment, we hope that five of the SOAC will be participate this [inaudible] [community]. But we are not sure about that yet. For example, the GAC isn't at a formal decision on that. The [address] organization either. And at ALAC, we need to also have a formal decision to go ahead with that.

It's maybe a little bit short what I told you, but I would like very much to have your questions more, just to hear me about the situation of the issue. But you have the main dates that have to be taken into account. And today, or yesterday, was an important one because it was the end of the public comment for the third report of the CCWG.

Maybe I can give you back the floor if you have any question. And I am sorry, I can't see anything on Adobe Connect. I am just on audio. Then if you have question, comments, feel free to make them by voice. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Thank you very much, Sebastien. Yes, I have a couple of questions. If I'm not wrong, you said that this discussion will not interfere with the

timeframe or the timeline. When I said, “timeline,” I am talking about the final date, which is September 2016. In my opinion, each group is taking into account their own timelines. But in some cases, we can extend that timeline. But we are not paying attention, or in fact they are not paying attention, to that final timeline, which is the IANA transition and the time set by the NTIA for the transition of the IANA.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

In fact, all that is taken into account because September is the end of the process. But before you need to have the [prediction] of the full report sent by the board of ICANN to the NTIA. NTIA need to have a review of all those documents. If memory is well, they take four to five months. And then there will be some discussion at the level of the US Congress and then a final decision by NTIA and by the Department of Commerce. And it's where we end up somewhere in September. It's why, as a deadline, we were asked to have the final decisions for the CCWG on accountability, even before the 21 of January. But it's latest we can get to have the rest of the process taken into account today.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Thank you very much. So I insist for this, because it was the DOTCOM Act that was about to be passed in the US, if I'm not wrong. So that's why we said we set the September dates. But if we cannot reach the September, we should wait another year, not because of this act that is going to be passed, but it's because of the presidential year of the elections that will be held in the US. What do you think about this?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I really think nobody knows about that. Is it one-year delay? Or it is a four-year delay? Or it is an endless delay? That's a very important question. If it's not done now and it can be postponed for many reasons, we can discuss those issues, including some disagreements we may have with the process or with the result of the process as end-user voice.

But if it's not done now, we don't know if it will be done one day. Maybe it's one shot, and if we miss this one, it will never be done. Or it may be in one year after the new [inaudible] come on board and make decision on that. But they can decide not to go ahead and they can postpone that for many years.

The history was in 1998 it was supposed to be done quite quickly. The idea was to be done in 2000. And in fact, we are in 2015 now, almost 2016, and it's not yet done. And we don't know, and I don't know if somebody can tell you that for sure it will be done for sure this year. Or if it's not done this year, when it will be postponed for.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you, Sebastien. Is there any other question?

I have another question too to him. I'm sorry to be so persistent. There is one item that I didn't really like because it is about to get approved, as of 23:00 UTC, one item where the two-third vote from the Board is required to approve that suggestion.

I personally believe that, well, it used to be a simple majority and now it is two-thirds. So now these kind of changes is closer – or actually goes

away from the multi-stakeholder model and it actually goes closer to the other model that I don't really remember their name. Would that be so? Do you agree with that? Please go ahead.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

That's a very good question, and I am not sure that this new threshold for the Board decision on GAC advice by consensus is a main deal [in the detriment]. From my point of view, it will not change a lot because anyhow, I never saw a Board decision taken by half of the Board against the other half of the Board. It does never happen. Sometimes there is very important discussion, and we end up with ten against five. But never 15 to 15. And I don't think that the new threshold will change a lot.

What personally I was expecting to this discussion about the GAC was to have more power for ALAC advice. But as usual, we didn't get a lot in all these documents. We didn't get out with more possibility to be heard and to have the voice of end user better taken into account. And that's where I personally think we have trouble.

And I would like to add one point about your question. Today, we are about to send a comment by At-Large, by ALAC, to this submission of the documents of the CCWG on accountability. It's not yet the decision of ALAC to support or not support the document. It will really depend of what will be the last version of the document. And it will be a very important decision for ALAC to take. And I hope that RALOs will be involved and heard in this decision, because it's not just 15 people who must take the decision. I really think it's very important. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you very much, Sebastien. Thank you very much for your time. You have always supported us with any requirement when you a Board member, when you were an ALAC member, or not being in any of those areas. You have always responded when we asked you a question. So I'm giving you a big hug, and thank you very much.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: And thank you very much for having me tonight. And I hope you are a good meeting. And I am not just supporting LACRALO because it's LACRALO, but your region is in my heart, and I am sure that you will do very good things, now and into the future. Take care, and thank you very much for having me tonight.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Sebastien.

ALBERTO SOTO: Because there are no other issues to deal with, do you have any other question or anything that you'd like to ask?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: It seems Alberto dropped from the call. Before ending, Dev is asking for the floor. So, Dev, please go ahead. Go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Just to mention some of the other work that's happening in another subcommittee that I'm involved in, the Technology Task Force. I've been putting together some of the various tools and documenting on the wiki some of the various tools that can be used for machine translation of content and so forth. Perhaps there can be an update presented on the next LACRALO call.

For example, just to give an example, Skype, the latest version of Skype, allows for voice translation and transcription in spoken languages and in chat for Portuguese, Spanish, French, English, and German, I believe. So that might be something of great interest to persons. If persons who are on Skype wish to contact me, please do so and I can walk you through on how to enable that in your Skype client. Thanks.

ALBERTO SOTO: I've been reconnected for the fifth time, I believe. Do you have any other questions or suggestions that you'd like to make?

Okay, since there are no more issues to be dealt with at this meeting, let me just wish you very happy holidays. May you enjoy it with your families, and may you have a very, very nice New Year. And I hope we will have a good LACRALO for next year. Thank you very much, and thank you to our interpreters, who are always bearing with us. Thank you very much to you all. Have a very good night, good evening, and good afternoon. Goodbye.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you. Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect on your line, and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]