

October 2015

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the At-Large Ad-Hoc New Meeting Strategy Working Party – Sub Group on LAC Meeting B, taking place on Monday, the 5<sup>th</sup> of October, 2015, at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Vanda Scartezini, Sebastien Bachollet, Beran Gillen, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh. We have no apologies listed for today's conference. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich; and myself, Terri Agnew. Gisella Gruber will be joining us in a little bit.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you, Vanda.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay, thank you. Hi, everybody. I believe that is something that will be good to share the proposal, the LAC proposal. Hi, guys. Did you have a chance to see them and maybe to make any ideas or comments on that? I tried to follow the suggestions that we got last call, and that in the screen is the proposal. Any comments? Give you a chance to read.

I haven't changed the first day, just [Butler] University. And in the second, I input the suggestion of Sebastien that may be divided by language. And on day two and day three and day four, I have changed a lot. So that's [the suggestion]/

Okay. Any comments? We're going to start. Sebastien?

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

October 2015

---

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes. Thank you, Vanda. I just connected the audio. You can hear?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yes, perfect.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay. Thank you. I was out of my computer. I get trouble with my computer since few days, and I'm just back from the U.S. But, first of all, thank you for the proposal and I think it's good improvement. My question is I really think we need to avoid... Maybe with the Board, we can have a meeting, but the goal is really not to have a meeting with other organization, but mostly to have working groups or working party from ALAC, the day two and day three, and the day four could be or must be or need to be a cross-community working group.

Because, for example, if we take the question about the meeting, we could have a meeting about the new meeting strategy on day two or day three, and then to have... We know what we want to say at the level of ALAC, and then we have the same meeting but with all the other party involved.

And I think, for example – or we can take the example of the future round of gTLD. We can have a working group for one or two hours with the At-Large people and then one cross-community to exchange what are the thinking of each group and see how we can go further in that

October 2015

---

discussion. It's must be the goal of this type of meeting because, for example, ALAC and SSAC [inaudible] and not the other ACs or SOs.

I know that we put it on the day four with the ccNSO and the GNSO. But my thinking is that it must be at the level of working groups, not the big – we need to be concentrate – this meeting must be concentrate on issue. I am sorry to be a little bit long, but I have to put my mind also in the right direction. But that's my thinking about this B meeting.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Thank you, Sebastien. Let me make you a question, that is what I was thinking is something like that on the day three and day four on the 9:00 to 12:00 and about ALAC and SO/AC policy open forum. That was Sandra's suggestion, and maybe should be something like that or can be more open.

And if we change for that, we can put this day four for your idea to have working group meeting with GNSO, ccNSO, and all involved with those guys. That's your idea? So day four, for instance, for 8:00 to 12:00, we could put all those working groups about... Because we have on day three, we have from 9:00 to 12:00 discussion on policy issues with everything, everybody. That's the general idea to discuss among us some policy issues.

So your suggestion is, for instance, we can extend the three, take out the ALAC and the SSAC, and during the day four, we could have a working group meeting among everybody from morning [to 15], because we can also use the second part of day four for working

October 2015

---

discussion. Because just four hours, will not I believe be enough for get everybody together and then make presentation for all the others and discuss the working groups among other ACs and SOs. I don't know. What do you think?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Vanda. I don't know if I will answer directly your question, but we have to be careful. I have not the answer for Panama and for the next places, but the question is I am not sure that we will have a board room, for example. Then we will not have a big room where 400 people will be able to meet. Because once again, the B meeting is not less people; it's less infrastructure. Then we will have, I would say small rooms. It's not little rooms, but small rooms, and then...

VANDA SCARTEZINI: [inaudible] you know, the first day that is general outreach certainly needs a big room.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I am not sure about that. A big room, yes, but not a ballroom with 400 people. Because if we get 400 people from each new region where we'll go, it will be a big success, and [inaudible] I am not sure about that. And for SO and the ACs, they have no need for all everybody to be there.

And so to [Dev], there will not be a public forum and welcome ceremony. B meeting, no such things. It's A and C, but in B meeting, it's just, into brackets, meeting rooms for each SO and each AC to work at

October 2015

---

what we call intra-work and inter-work – that mean inside our group and with the other. But at the level of the ICANN's, the content, not to have a general meeting where we can discuss about everything. Yeah, working-group-oriented meeting.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yeah. Understood. So what you are question is the day three, 9:00 to 12:00 policy open forum, because you believe there is no room for discuss some issues with everyone that wants to join. [inaudible].

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sorry, I know what we wanted to do, but I don't know what we will end up with the level of the facilities. I don't know where it be. What I am sure that today in each meeting, we need at least two ballrooms here. Maybe we will have one, but not as big as usual. And it's not a ballroom for 1,000 people. It will be maybe a ballroom for 300 people. But I don't know. It's really depending on the facility.

But the goal, it's to be able to go everywhere, then that means that even if we don't have large room, very large room, we will be able to handle the meeting [anyhow].

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. Let's give the floor to Beran.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, please.

---

October 2015

---

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Beran?

BERAN GILLEN: Yes. Hi, everyone. Can you hear me?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yes. Now hear.

BERAN GILLEN: Yes. Okay, great. I just wanted to sort of buttress what Sebastien is saying, and what Sandra said in the meeting, which I thought made a lot of sense. And Dev also pointed out, actually, the meeting we had prior to the working party meeting regarding the working groups.

So I think we should take up Sebastien's suggestion and probably spread our working groups. Because thinking out loud, we might have about maybe eight to ten working groups at Panama. Maybe, maybe not. So maybe work with ten working groups and spread that across day one and day two and day three.

And then whatever space is left in day two, we can allocate for the board, some way in day two, since we usually meet them on Tuesdays anyway. And then what we could do is part of day three, and a little bit of day four, we could look at squeezing some ALAC internal working that is with the regional leadership as well as ALAC work that we normally do.

October 2015

---

And then look at day four probably would be like a sort of quote “wrap-up” session, and then we could sort of have a wrap-up policy discussion where we could, if we want to vote on anything or ratify anything, we could do that on day four, and then, perhaps, the latter part of day four, we could do a little bit of internal policy sessions.

I don’t know. I’m just picking [off the crosshair] but I really think we should look at day two, we split the working groups across the two days, put in a few more meetings with other groups that we want and the key people. Perhaps, have a look at having some free time for maybe the CCWG and the ICG and the CWG. We haven’t really thought about that. So this just my thoughts, really. Thanks.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Well, yes. Well, the Board and the ALAC, I really put on Tuesday because I know that’s the day they will do that. It’s sometimes [inaudible] but it’s there. But I believe that we are talking different working groups, one with internal working groups and the other, if I understood Sebastien’s suggestion, is working group from not only our participation, but working group together with the others, ACs and SOs, like the CC Working Group, the other budget, and the other issues that are more common to many persons around the community.

I understood that was the idea for meetings also from Sebastien. So let’s hear about what Dev can add to us. Dev, please.

October 2015

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Just agree with what Sebastien and Beran are saying, and I think it comes back to, instead of trying to look at finding specific time slots for events, we need just to define what we want for each summary of the activities we want to do on each day. And then the staff will have – and especially as they’re more knowledgeable of what’s going on in the various ACs and SOs, and then look to fill the scheduling the jigsaw part of the timing of which activity can go when.

So, for example, you start over day one. Okay, day one is outreach. So you want to do just some things. One, meet with At-Large persons from the region. We want to have a separate session for the NGO community, and then one university.

Now, I’m not saying that... In fact, I’m thinking some of these could be consolidated but list them out like that, and then perhaps then day two, working group sessions, you want to have at least half the working groups either presenting or reporting on day two and day three.

The policy topic idea that Sebastien brings up, that’s probably a very good one. And Beran also mentioned issues like IANA stewardship and the accountability, which I’m fairly certain it’s going to be very prevalent and very key topic still, issues to be discussed at Panama. So my suggestion is to really let’s focus more on the just listing the activities and what we want to accomplish on each day, rather than trying to put specific timing items.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Understood. So cross-community working group needs to have space, like Sebastien has said. And we can explain what I believe that on day



October 2015

---

two, it's the day that is a working day for community. So, for instance, GNSO, ccNSO, you take this to work because that is working day. So I do believe that we need, anyway, sometime in the same day for our working. I believe that Beran said so that on day two, we need to have some internal ALAC issue because it's the day for that.

But let's see what... I don't know if Heidi or Beran have hands up first because I was paying attention to what Dev was saying. It's you, Beran?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Beran. Vanda, I think that Beran's given me the floor.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Again, I want to stress that this is all going to be tentative because internally, they're still thinking about what they want to do, they're still waiting to hear from all of the ACs and SOs. And again, that meeting in Dublin on Thursday morning I think will be a really good session when everyone comes together and looks at each other's schedules. So with that process, just a couple of comments.

What I've heard is that on Monday morning, there might be a plenary of sorts where all the ACs and SOs and other groups, NextGen, certain types of fellows, etc. might all come in, and there would be some sort of large session there. Then there might be some sort of outreach and

October 2015

---

engagement activity on Monday afternoon, and I know that several of us were thinking that for at least the first meeting B, you might wish to bring ALS representatives from Central America. So that's something that you might wish to continue.

Then I've just been in contact with Tanzanica King of the Meetings Team, and she actually says that, yes, due to demand that the Board will be now meeting with ACs and SOs in meeting B. So I haven't heard anything more about that. I don't know whether the format will be the same, but I guess that this will become more clear in Dublin. So I'm not sure what day that's going to be. I can see if I can find out, but I just wanted to stress those points. Thank you very much.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Okay. Thank you, Heidi. Beran, you have the floor.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Vanda. Perhaps maybe what we could do is we could get Gisella, who is fantastic with moving things around on the schedule, to perhaps give us a tentative list of working groups that might want to meet in Panama or the key active working groups we have in At-Large. And then maybe we can start sorting those in across day two and three.

In no order, particularly, like Dev said, let's not worry about time slots. Just put them in there and let's see how it looks. And then after we do that, put it to day two and day three. Then we know a meeting with the Board in day two, so we put that in, as well. And then day two probably

October 2015

---

would probably most likely be full by them. We probably have one or two slots left. Then we look at day three to see how much policy work we can get done after we put in the working groups.

And then we concentrate on day four. I think that basically puts our day two and three together. What do you think?

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Yeah. [inaudible] a good idea, Beran. We need to have more information to go further because it's quite difficult to set up everything in the [schedule] and maybe they can give us – Gisella can give us a better suggestion on who is supposed to be on that. And probably, if we finish like IANA, we'll be finished, but I believe that not the cross-community working group and other cross-community working groups will be start, and for instance, the ALAC revision will be running at that time. So we need the space for that.

And so there is each time we make a move on that, I believe that we forgot something because it's more than six months from now and other issue will come up. And we need to give space for that. So I do believe that we need to leave some large space for ALAC work, and inside that, we're going to have the reporting of working groups and we're going to have the review of ALAC, and we need to have space for that because it is quite important for us.

But I do believe that we could put this on day three, and I'd like to hear from you if you believe the regional strategy exchange is a good idea. Because normally, what we have is independent strategy from region.

October 2015

---

For instance, Africa, Latin America and Caribbean, Asia, and we never sit really together to exchange those groups.

I just came from the LAC strategy with Dev, for instance, but we don't sit with the Africa strategy to discuss about. So that's, in my opinion, could be a very important opportunity for those groups to sit and discuss their ideas, their problems, what is going well, what is not working, these kind of things.

That's the reason why I put on day three. But this is not important where they are, what is important is to have or not to have this kind of meeting. That is the main point that we should think. So there is some ideas that I was thinking about, and the ALAC and SO and AC policy open forum is not to make it everyone to sit there in the large, large meeting, but it's ALAC discussing policy issues with others welcome to sit with us and maybe this one could be those cross-community forums that we could discuss those policy issues.

We certainly can continue forever having ideas and exchange some ideas, but I do believe that we need, like Heidi is saying, yeah, the At-Large Review, certainly; Capacity Building Working Group, Outreach and Engagement, Accessibility. There is a lot of things that we could add into the ALAC work that we need to have, and also the cross-community group that we're going to have, we don't know yet. So we need to have those forums for that.

I do believe that following the Sebastien idea, we could split from just change a little bit for working groups, cross-community working groups,

October 2015

---

in those ALAC policy open forum could be cross-community policy forum or something like that, that give us the opportunity to have those discussions in an open space.

Yeah. IANA stewardship. IANA, I do believe that will be finished at Panama, but not the cross-community. Cross-community certainly will raise a lot of issues to be detailed after the approval, if we get the general approval from an idea next March or something like that. I do believe that cross-community is the key point and not the IANA.

IANA, in my opinion, is done. Everybody agrees with the model and have no other suggestions or questions about. I do believe that's done. But the cross-community has a lot of points that is not working well. There is weaknesses and other issues. So I do believe we need the space for that.

So let me see what is in our chat. Yes, I do believe the new meeting strategy, it should be finished. But accountability, the CC Working Group certainly is the key point. But certainly, we have all the cross-community and the running for the new [manage] organization for ICANN in the near future, we should really working on cross-community issues as a general idea. Because the accountability group is really proposing a kind of manage of this new organization as a cross-community. So I do believe that many of the works in the future will be cross-community working groups. That's my point.

Beran, you have the next.

October 2015

---

BERAN GILLEN: Yes. Thank you, Vanda. I wanted to actually volunteer to work with Gisella to perhaps bring out these working groups. Maybe I might not be able to put them on the schedule if I can list out everything I think should be in day two, everything I think should be in three, and in day four, and then perhaps send it to – I won't be able to put it in the diagram and make it all nice like this, but I could list it out and – yeah.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Appreciate it. Agreed. The ideas I can put on diagram. Then using all this information that we are exchanging in the chat will be helpful because there is all the groups around that everybody remember that we need to have space for this cross-community and those internal meetings that we need to [inaudible] with a space for that.

So that's my point. So who else has some suggestions?

BERAN GILLEN: Sorry, Vanda. Just a quick question. Would it be a good idea – because I know Alan brought this up for general assembly. Maybe something we should look at because if we don't have any assemblies in meeting B, that means most of these regions would actually never have or host general assembly. Okay. So we will look at that, then.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yeah. I do believe that what we need is, in my opinion, to have some suggestions for the whole group to debate. Because if we change just with our ideas, we don't give space for all others to think about and the

---

October 2015

---

[inaudible] with that. Maybe because we certainly need for Saturday meeting in Dublin, we need to have some slides with those proposals and we may have one or two different proposals to be discussed during the Saturday on the meetings.

Yeah, general assembly. Heidi is talking about the general assembly likely a good idea for the – yeah, there is no funding. Yeah. It's a fiscal year. It's not really. It's not a general assembly for that year. But anyway, let's do that, in my opinion. Anyone that wants to – yes? Someone was talking. Okay.

BERAN GILLEN:

Yes, Vanda. I just have a quick question. I know Heidi said that we might be able to bring in some ALSes and they're funding for it. Do we have any form of structured program for these ALSes or are they just going to follow whatever program we have for the meeting B?

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Yeah. We just finished our LAC strategy first section for this 16 to 20, and I do believe that we need to work with [these] projects, and regarding the projects because we did the projects and we did the full strategy down to the projects, but the actions needs to be defined. And the projects, more detail, where we're going to do in the when we're going to do.

And we already have also in LAC strategy a lot of things running related to capacity building. We have some budget for that. So we need to put

October 2015

---

all together and have decisions for this B meeting. But I do believe that this should be done probably in Marrakech because we just finished our, everybody needs to read, everybody needs to contribute, there is a lot of process. So Dublin will be not enough for that.

We're going to have this during the session, the LAC space, we're going to post the debate for whatever was there, what we have done for LAC strategy, but the community now needs to come out with a suggestion for actions. So in my opinion, it's for Marrakech.

But probably, we can manage to bring those ALS in the neighborhood countries around Panama to get together. So there is one good idea, but we need to work with the community to find out the best way to support that. But it's not a general assembly, not large like that because there is no budget for that. But I do believe that we can work for making Panama meeting B very interesting and bring all those that normally do not participate because it is too expensive or too far from home, etc. So it's quite interesting to have those guys there.

And certainly, showcase will focus on the Central America and Caribbean region, and those will be very, very interesting and have then there will be really interesting and contribute a lot for the knowledge of the region. I believe that that's the general idea.

Caribbean was not in the... Dev is saying that was not in showcase of LACRALO, was mostly from the South America showcase because we do not have Mexico, we do not have any central America participation. We



October 2015

---

have Peru, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Colombia, but mostly South America, mostly South America.

So there is the idea to have the showcase with Caribbean and other neighbor countries in Central America. So, Beran?

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you, Vanda. I just wanted to suggest to have some timeline because right now, we're kind of sort of counting down to Dublin and we need to have something for the ALAC, I believe, before then.

But Heidi, can you just remind me. I don't know, when is our next working party meeting. Have we set a date?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'll take a look. It is Saturday. I think it's [inaudible] wiki open.

BERAN GILLEN: Okay. Yeah. So then we'll have a Doodle out. Maybe perhaps, Vanda, it's just a suggestion. We would have to have something out before that working party meeting, whatever date it's going to be suggested on the doodle would have to have a final draft before the meeting to share.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: If you can send me your suggestions as you propose it, I can make another draft quickly and have this out in one or two days.

October 2015

---

BERAN GILLEN: Okay, great. So myself and Gisella will work and have something out by end of day tomorrow, and then we can take it from there.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. Thank you. This [inaudible] new meeting strategy [scheduling]. Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Beran and Vanda, just to point out that, yes, it will be a long session on Saturday in Dublin. Beran, you're going to be chairing that in person – very happy to hear that – and that will be really the first chance that this working party will have a chance to have long discussion with the ALAC and the regional leaders. Thank you.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Thank you. I do believe that we should prepare some slides to discuss those ideas. That's the main issue. So Beran, you have the hands up again or it's an old one? It's an old one.

BERAN GILLEN: Sorry, Vanda. That's an old hand.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay.

---

October 2015

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Vanda, sorry, I have my hand up again.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I'm just wondering if you do want to move forward with bringing the Central American ALS reps to the first meeting B, now that the location has been made public, it might be a good time to start thinking about having an internal discussion within LACRALO, whether that's how they wish to use that fiscal year '16 funding. It is to bring the four ALS representatives from those four ALSes to the entire meeting B.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yeah. I'll send some discussion with the general ideas about the B meeting to Alberto. And after that, Alberto will share with the whole group and we can discuss some probably on Dublin because we don't have another call before Dublin.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. So again, the meeting strategy discussion is on Saturday and I believe that the LACRALO meeting—

October 2015

---

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Is on Monday afternoon.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Is on Monday. Okay. So there would be a couple of days for additional discussion within the LACRALO after that ALAC meeting on Saturday.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yeah. That's something that we can do certainly, exchange some ideas around LACRALO, but I don't know if we're going to have discussions, but ideas probably.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And I'm not sure if you said you did want one more call before Dublin.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: No. We don't have one more call. We don't have. We can exchange ideas among us on the wiki or the e-mails we exchange, and that's the point that we can do. I can send an e-mail to Alberto just [after] we finish here, and to do that, and alerting him that we're going to have this discussion on Saturday. So we'd like to have some ideas if it's possible, if it's not possible.

October 2015

---

But not only with Alberto. I need to involve LAC strategy guys. I need to involve Rodrigo Saucedo and Rodrigo de la Parra that are in charge of this issue in the region. Hello?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That sounds good. Thank you.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. So that's it. I believe that anyone has anything else to talk to or the general idea is to have ideas, see if anyone wants to send an e-mail and proposing your personal ideas, more detail, and like I suggest that you put this divide by two or divide in this and that, and Beran [inaudible] and Gisella also, so we have all those action items that maybe in the action items, we should pull LACRALO, not only additional work, but contact LACRALO and LAC strategy to discuss about bringing ALS in the [inaudible] [neighbor] to Panama to participate on meeting first, meeting B in Panama next year. That's the action that should be done. Anything else?

If not, I believe we can adjourn and thank you very much to everybody, and if we can change more ideas on change on the week or in e-mails that we can share among us. Thank you very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone. Bye-bye.

**EN**

October 2015

---

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Thank you. Bye-bye. Bye-bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Bye-bye, everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Once again [inaudible] has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines and have a wonderful rest of your day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**