
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the At-Large ATLAS II Implementation Taskforce taking place on Monday, the 5th of October, 2015, at 18:30 UTC.

On the English channel, we have Maureen Hilyard, Wolf Ludwig, Siranush Vardanyan, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Carlton Samuels, and Alan Greenberg.

On the Spanish channel, we have Alberto Soto.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang; and myself, Terri Agnew.

I have apologies from Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Judith Hellerstein, Gunella Astbrink, Sylvia Herlein-Leite, and Tijani Ben Jemaa.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Veronia and David. Our French interpreters today are Claire and Camilla.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters.

Thank you very much, and back over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Terri. Have we missed anyone in the roll call by any chance? I don't see anyone shouting their name out, so the roll call is complete.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Now, I do have an ever-so-slight problem, that at the moment, I'm totally unable to get on the Internet, which means I'm driving absolutely blind. I believe that our next part of the agenda is going to be the action items from last week. I don't know if there are any action items from last week. I know that, from memory, there are quite a few action items for Dublin. I don't think that there are any action items for this call to be completed by this call. Is this correct? Can Terri or Ariel please confirm?

ARIEL LIANG: We do have several action items to be completed before Dublin meeting. Do you want me to read all of them or...?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, let's please read through them, Ariel. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. The first one is regarding recommendation #2, Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee to review the list of programs identified and see which ones are the most beneficial with great ROIs that need to be [inaudible]. That is talking about the outreach and engagement activities, such as the fellowship program, the NextGen and those programs. That's an item for Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Ariel. Do we know by any chance if the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee has started work on this, whether they are

in a position to be able to have something ready by the time we meet in Dublin? Go ahead, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. The Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee I think will have some items for discussion for the GSE and some RALOs. Particularly one of the aspects of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee has been working on has asked for tracking outreach events. We have set up a whole set of group calendars and sent an e-mail over to GSE staff – all of the GSE vice presidents, I should say, sorry – over the weekend about all of the different calendars and how they can contribute their outreach events.

The Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee also posted a comment regarding civil society engagement. One of the [inaudible] is to call for regular sustained communication with the Global Stakeholder Engagement. One of the reasons why we stated this is, apart from tracking outreach events, too often we in At-Large hear about GSE attending an event that could've benefitted from At-Large presence, but because we're not communicating regularly, we don't find out about such events in time.

Those are two areas I think we could specifically talk about. The Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee co-chairs are also looking at the aspects of how could we best use the fellowship and NextGen programs because there's no real handoff or communication between these programs and, well, At-Large. So persons who attend, for example, a follow meeting saying that they're interested in At-Large

events, you don't really hear about them after the face-to-face meeting. They fall through the cracks unless those fellows actually make the effort to communicate again.

So there are some synergies that need to be worked out. That's it.

ARIEL LIANG: Olivier, you may be on mute.

TERRI AGNEW: Olivier has just disconnected and we're re-dialing out to him at this moment.

Just for a quick update, we are still trying to reach Olivier, and we're just receiving his message at this time. We know there's some connectivity issues. We'll keep trying to reach him.

ARIEL LIANG: In the meantime, we're waiting for Olivier to get back online, I will just give a quick update on another action item assigned to staff is recommendation #33, Nathalie and Ariel to confirm whether the wiki page for the repository of webinars is included in the ALS welcome e-mail. Nathalie and I will include that in the e-mail and will reflect that in the updated version. That's just an action item for staff.

TERRI AGNEW: Just for a quick update, we're still trying to reach Olivier at this time. And Olivier is rejoining us at this time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. I think I'm going to have to hand the floor to someone to run this call because it's impossible tonight. I can't get any Internet at all and the connection is getting cut all the time. If anybody is able to step forward... I guess the next part is all on capacity building. I think if Dev could perhaps run this part, that would be great.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I can certainly try.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I can certainly help you out and jump in, Dev. I will try continuing to try and get on the Net, but [inaudible] completely impossible tonight here. It's just not going to work. Over to you, Dev. I'm sorry for putting you into this, but it's one of these cases where I couldn't work out the problem. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Just to confirm, what we are going to be looking at are the various At-Large ATLAS recommendation that's geared for capacity building.

ARIEL LIANG: We should look at the ones assigned to Social Media. We already went through the capacity building ones.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Ah, actually I do see that listed.

ARIEL LIANG: And I'm sharing my screen.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If I could jump in, effectively the capacity building ones we have not done in our last call. If you remember, we had finished the Finance & Budget Subcommittee ones, but the capacity building ones we have already done via the other one which I believe was engagement or something.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right. Perhaps you could just double check and review the capacity building ones. Let me just post the link here in the Adobe Connect room. Thanks, I see Terri has done it already.

Just to refresh regarding the post ATLAS II implementation and capacity building, recommendation 2, this was ICANN should increase supporting valuable members to the community.

We've heard the summary from the Outreach and Engagement. The thing is, is there anyone from the capacity building aspect that could speak to this recommendation? Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm back.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Olivier, just to point out that there was updates on these recommendations on the 30th which was our last call. So I'm not sure if we really do need to go through this for capacity building. I'll defer...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The ones which have an update from the 30th are fine. We don't need to work on them again. The reason why they are on there is because one of the other sub-sections. As you know, these are sub-categories, so some of these are actually part of more than one group, so we've already looked at them and updated them. That obviously [inaudible].

But there are some which are only with capacity building or with what we're doing now which have not been done yet. The idea is to swiftly look at what the last update was. If it's the 30th, our last call, then we can swiftly move on to the next one. That's how we can go a lot faster. I wish I had Internet, but it's not going to happen. I was cut off again, in case you haven't noticed. You probably have. Anyway, cross fingers I remain on mobile. Back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. The thing is I believe the Capacity Building Working Group hasn't had a recent meeting. I could probably ask staff to really help me on that because I think I missed the last Capacity Building call. Maureen, you've been typing in the chat. Perhaps you could just say a few words regarding capacity building.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Actually, I have nothing to add. Maybe I missed the last Capacity Building meeting, which I doubt. I haven't got any updates from that particular area. Sorry.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right, let's quickly look at the recommendations quickly at hand. Recommendation 2, ICANN should increase support, budget, staff, [to] programs having brought valuable members to the community.

We've had updates from Outreach and Engagement, and also regarding Finance & Budget, in terms of how we are going to be handling budget requests.

In terms of the capacity building, I am not really seeing any such input as such. I think probably what we have to do is put an action item on this for the Capacity Building Working Group list to see if there are any inputs to be added, because I doubt Capacity Building will be meeting before the Dublin meeting.

I'm sorry, Siranush, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, thank you, Dev. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: We can hear you, Siranush. Go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Great. So the last Capacity Building call I think was in August, I think at the end of August. We were discussing how many webinars will be taking place to the end of 2015. There was no discussions on ATLAS II recommendations. There was only planning for this webinar, five upcoming webinars to the end of this year. I assume that, before Dublin, there will be one more Capacity Building call, though there was not information about that yet. This is just an update.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Siranush. This is probably the recollection I had regarding the last Capacity Building meeting. We don't think the Capacity Building will [step through] any of the ATLAS II recommendations. I'm a little concerned how we can generate any comments, especially regarding capacity building on these recommendations.

Can I ask a question from staff? Is there going to be a Capacity Building meeting in Dublin?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe there is. I'm just checking what day it is. I will put it in the chat once I find out. I know that there's an update. Definitely there's an update on Tuesday.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's Wednesday, the 21st, between 9:00 and 10:00. That's the At-Large Capacity Building Working Group. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thank you. I have a question from Carlton Samuels. I'll just read it for the record. "What is the real practical outcome from all the budget work? Is the At-Large better funded, and how much of the At-Large budgetary requests are satisfied?"

A good question, which probably is better answered by the Finance & Budget Subcommittee which has also yet to meet... I don't think the Finance & Budget Subcommittee has met for some time as well. Unfortunately, I don't think I can really give an answer on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Hand up, it's Olivier.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. You're right. The Finance & Budget Subcommittee has not met in a while. I have asked the chair, Alan Greenberg, to convene a meeting of the Finance & Budget Subcommittee, but as you know, there are a lot of other things happening simultaneously and I do not know whether they will be able to meet before Dublin. But it is hoped that they would be looking at

exactly the kind of question that Carlton has asked, and also be able to relate this to the At-Large Summit recommendations so as to come up with an expanded set of recommendations and maybe even an engagement with the ICANN Finance department. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks for that, Olivier. Just to look quickly at all the recommendations that were allocated to Capacity Building, there was recommendation 12. In collaboration with At-Large, ICANN should put in place campaigns to raise awareness and extend education programs across under-represented regions.

Again, I can't think of anything regarding for the Capacity Building on this session. Again, I think what probably has to happen is that e-mail does need to go out to the Capacity Building group asking whether we can meet on these topics for these recommendations.

I'm just looking at the chat. Okay, not really. Just to summarize what is also the other recommendation. Recommendation 18 was support end users [inaudible] policy development. This was also allocated to capacity building and to the ALS criteria and expectations.

Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. This one is a very, very short one, obviously. I think it's only allocated to Capacity Building Working Group. I guess some of this really has to do with the work that we do with the webinars that are related to some of the topics for public comment out

there. There's also an improved policy development process that is taking place on the one hand in the GNSO, and on the other hand also with the current process that we have with Ariel running those different tables.

I'd like to draw your attention to the new website that will introduce some changes and that will actually allow for the inclusion of further information whenever there is a public consultation or anything like that. We could link to capacity building webinars. We can also refer back to some of the previous statements, thanks to a set of keywords – taxonomy if you want – that would have been ready by the time our website goes live.

There is some work which has been done in that. Of course, I guess there's also the work of the policy management process system, which you have been – Dev, you have been – looking at and working on.

This, I guess, is probably the gist of the different points that we need to make as a follow-up to this. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. What was noted is [inaudible] working group had organized a series of webinars. I believe there is going to be a webinar activity sometime this week, an At-Large Working Group. Heidi, perhaps you could just confirm that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. As I've noted in the chat, there will be a call this Wednesday at 20:00 UTC, and the topic will be At-Large working groups and the

CCWG. Marika Konings and myself will be the presenters, so I welcome you all to that webinar. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Heidi. The Capacity Building Working Group has organized some webinars that try to address this recommendation. And as Olivier said, in terms of – all of the Technology Taskforce and recommendation 26 hasn't been specifically pointed here. The policy management process system that was discussed in recommendation 26. Which looks more and more to be more focused towards the launch of the At-Large website would go a long way in helping making the policy... Well, I won't say making the policy development process easier, but engaging in the policy development process a little bit easier.

Let's move quickly to recommendation 19 for the capacity building, which is eliminate barriers to participation and engagement with ICANN processes and practices.

Just to bring up some of the discussion that happened earlier on the Technology Taskforce call, there was a recognition that there are quite a few things that ALSes have trouble with when it comes to engaging with the At-Large community, with the policy development processes and working groups and so forth.

It was recognized that perhaps as part of the onboarding process that happens with new ALSes, more experienced persons will mentor with the new ALS representatives, and also work to develop, I would say, short tutorials or mini tutorials talking about some aspects of how do certain things work. It was reported that one of the challenges was that

for all the new ALSes that tried to connect to an Adobe Connect session, I think a significantly high number of ALSes weren't able to even connect using Adobe Connect to activity participate in a working group call. And if they can't get that right, then that's a big problem because most working groups – practically all working groups use – use Adobe Connect as a conferencing solution. So if they are not using that, then it is hard for them to activity participate in working groups.

I think what we can do is look at how the capacity building webinars can help educate end users, be it new ones coming out and for the existing At-Large persons that are not active to look at developing a proper engagement program of tutorials, mentoring, in order to get them more active.

Any thoughts or questions or comments on that? Okay, Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Dev. You might have noticed I've dropped out again for the nth time now. I dropped off when Heidi was talking about the webinar later on this week about the working groups. That's actually a very good point. A lot of the ALAC's work and the At-Large's work takes place in the working groups, so encouraging end users, and therefore our ALSes, to join or ALS members—

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Uh-oh. Olivier?

TERRI AGNEW: We will try to reach back out to Olivier again.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, dear. Must be so frustrating. Okay, well, while Olivier is being reconnected, I saw Maureen's hand go up. Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Dev. Also, I'd like to raise that I think that we have mentioned it before about a little bit of pre-training for [inaudible] ALSes. I'd like to think that, through that, the expectations of that... Can the connect to Adobe? Can the participate in the types of activities that we're going to expect them to be, or hope that the would be involved in, just so that they're aware of – [inaudible] to be able to participate in ICANN effective as much as they'd like to, so that if there are any difficulties or problems that these are identified when they activity [re-discuss]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Thanks, Maureen. You mentioned there's a posted link to where that idea was captured, and the ideas for engagement strategies. There was something else I wanted to... Is Olivier back on? Let's see. Not hearing anything, it seems that he's not.

One other point to mention, this is one of the challenges for capacity building, we people need to work with ICANN's IT staff. How do we get those capacity building sessions or webinars in a more usable format? The challenges are with capacity building, as they are right now, it's recorded on Adobe Connect and it's actually quite hard to easily share

this information. To reload Adobe Connect session is actually quite hard. It actually has to download the entire [inaudible] local playback [inaudible] and it requires Adobe Flash on your desktop. Like I said, it's very cumbersome.

My thinking is that you need to really [inaudible] ICANN's IT staff how can we better export those sessions [inaudible] posted on YouTube for easier – much easier – sharing and reuse. People can watch it on their mobile devices and so forth. Right now it's still a very challenging thing for the capacity building webinars to use the material afterwards. I think that's one of the key things Capacity Building Working Group has to focus on. Perhaps the Technology Taskforce could be all involved with that in trying to solve this problem.

Maureen, your hand is raised, or is that an old hand?

Okay, I assume it's an old hand. Let's quickly head, then, to the next...
Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, if I can ever finish a sentence when I speak to you. Are you reallocating adding the Technology Taskforce on 18? I believe we're still on 18, aren't we?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: We're on 19, eliminate barriers. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The Technology Taskforce to 19 as well?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly, sure. It will more focus the Technology Taskforce to address this issue. But it's really in working with coordination with the Capacity Building Working Group. But certainly let the Technology Taskforce be added to this recommendation. Sure.

Let's move ahead to recommendation 26. This is regarding the policy management processes. ICANN should implement a policy management process system. A lot work on the Technology Taskforce side has been happening. We reviewed Kavi, which was thought a possible solution to this and it has not.

We have looked also at the LACNIC's development processes and tools, and how they have done it, they have customized their own software development web-based tools for policy management. I know it's actually very interesting. It looks like the way forward on implementing this recommendation is working at At-Large website redesign and looking to develop web-based tools to be able to add and monitor policy content.

One of the challenges has been knowledge management is still a huge challenge. This was noted earlier on the Technology Taskforce call. This is still a very pressing [inaudible].

Any thoughts or comments on this recommendation 26? Oh, dear. Are you all hearing me now still?

ALAN GREENBERG: You're back now. You disappeared for a while, but you're back.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Alan. What I was saying is knowledge management is still a challenge within the At-Large community. Keeping track of action items and what is happening in each of the working groups is still very hard to follow in the At-Large community.

Seeing no questions or comments on recommendation... Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. I was wondering, regarding what you just said here, keeping track of what's happening in each one of the working groups. Could there be some kind of an easy dashboard of a one-liner with a current topic of the working group, linked to the working group or something? I don't know. We have a wiki page which has a list of our working groups. Rather than having the list of our working groups, we have a list of the working groups formatted in a table and have the latest topic listed underneath each one of the working groups so people get more interested or excited or can see at a glance what's happening in At-Large. I don't know. Just suggesting. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Well, right now we're trying to do it within confluence, and confluence has been slowly upgrading its ways of how task allocations are being done. And while we, in some working groups, have done a

consolidated task list of action items and so forth, it's not consistent across all working groups.

Invariably, what happens is that a discussion happens about – that probably affects another working group, but happens in another topic session, for example. How is that captured properly so that it's transferred appropriately and sent to that working group? I think that is the key challenge.

The confluence task action items methodology probably isn't quite there yet. I see Alan has his hand up. Alan, please go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I was just going to make a comment. From what you're saying, what Olivier was commenting on is a far more simpler and concise status than the detail level that you're talking about, but probably something that's well worth doing.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

I would say yes.

ALAN GREENBERG:

[That would have to be] manual, but at least it gives some people an idea. Is the group active? When's the next meeting? What are the hot topics? Two or three bullet points at most of what's going on there. I think that sounds like a really good way to try to get people into it. It's not the same problem you were talking about, but I think it's something we should capture.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I get you. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. One possible way to do this, maybe we can ask Ariel how this works, is [inaudible] pages, so the [inaudible] how that works. The pages are nested or something? I don't know. But each one of the working groups could maintain their pages, header, or something that would say [inaudible] small two lines on what are they, the subject, and when is the next meeting, this sort of this. And it's going to be embedded or nested in the overall list of working groups. Just a thought. I'm not sure if that works or not.

ARIEL LIANG: Just to answer Olivier's comment, we could certainly embed pages to a page, but we need to keep in mind the page we're going to view is going to be very long, because whatever is put on the child pages, the will be reflected in that central page. So to keep it concise is very important. Also, maybe just as an FYI, from staff side, we do write a weekly update. We summarize what's going on in the RALOs, working groups, and policy. It's a table, like Olivier suggested. It's rather concise. And we have some [inaudible] about what's going on in the working group, if the working group had a meeting during the week. But that's only for the policy department, for internal use only. So that's information maybe interesting to you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Forget my idea of the nested pages, then. I didn't realize it was including full page, not just a little header of it. Having the tables, though, would be helpful. I don't know which table, though. The table with the working groups with the latest updates on each one of the working groups would be helpful. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks. Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. It dawned on me that what we're describing here is something that is going to be a mandatory page on our new website. I'm slightly perturbed that Ariel says we already have it, but no one can see it outside of staff. It sounds like that makes the work easier since it's already been done.

ARIEL LIANG: I don't recall this [is going to be] a mandatory part of the website, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I didn't catch that, Ariel.

ARIEL LIANG: The part you said about the mandatory part of the website, which part you're referring to? The table?

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, yeah. If our website doesn't include a list of the working groups that people can join and what they're doing, I think we're missing an important aspect of it. I'm assuming that has to be somewhere on our website.

ARIEL LIANG: Yeah. Regarding the working group, right now we have an [easy] gateway from the homepage to the wiki page after working groups. Then we will [have used] those general content pages that we can put concise summary about what that working group does and provide a little bit instruction to how people get involved in the working groups. But right now we only have that gateway [filled out]. It will take time to curate all that written content.

But in terms of update from working groups, we definitely need to discuss further and see whether we can generate a mechanism to have somebody doing that in order to be published on the website.

ALAN GREENBERG: Since you say you're already creating it for policy staff, it doesn't sound like a really hard task, but that's not the discussion for this meeting.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Just to mention that there is a link to the At-Large reports from working groups, which supposedly everyone is reading at every monthly ALAC meeting. Let me just post the link here. In that page, there are links to all the working groups and [from there] all the monthly report pages for those working groups.

I know one of the challenges has been stated that for RALO reporting, which has been inconsistent, and we should try to develop a more standardized form, so it makes it... It's formatted the same way. It can be shared a little bit more easily. Perhaps that type of stuff should be standardized for working group reporting. But this discussion does highlight the challenge for working management. Where do we find this information? How to keep up to date. You still have to navigate through a labyrinth of different channels in order to do this. I think the challenge is to find, as Maureen has put it in the chat, a one-stop-shop for this type of information. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. I just followed your link and started clicking on things. The first one is the At-Large Capacity Working Group, that the last report is December 2013. Then you've got Future Challenges where it's 2012. Then you get [IDN liaison] which says it ceases to exist. I don't think anyone has the stamina to go farther than that. Clearly, we have some work to do.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Well, indeed, I know that there has been some work to reorganize the working groups and so forth. As to which ones are more active and which ones less active.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Perhaps we should order them in the list.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. Very well. Is there anything else on this recommendation? We are taking more time than I thought we would. Now I've lost my... Let's see. Recommendation 29, I found [inaudible] again. This comes back, I guess, to what we were discussing. The ALAC should implement an automated system for tracking top interests currently being discussed among the various RALOs and accessible by everyone. I guess [inaudible] discussing for recommendation 26 applies here.

Let's see. Right now the Technology Taskforce is looking at working on a template for the Confluence Secretariat Report, although more likely for the longer term, we'll probably use the At-Large website redesign project so that it will be a form-based update where the persons will just fill out a form and update the At-Large website directly longer term. I don't think there's anything else to add on the capacity building side of things.

Recommendation 33, which says the ALAC should arrange more capacity building webinars. It's been labeled as complete, because Capacity Building Working Group did meet in August and finalized a schedule of capacity building webinars. This has been marked as completed.

Recommendation 38, I'm not seeing any questions here. Recommendation 38, ICANN should ensure that it's beginner's guide is accessible. I note that there is one beginner's guide that's [out for comments]. I don't think there's been much comments other than my initial comments on this.

Let me ask the question, then. Is there going to be a push to have a new beginner's guide launched for Dublin, or is it that we could take our time to have that beginner's guide properly reviewed for updating after Dublin? Perhaps Ariel or Nathalie could probably answer this question. If not, Heidi.

ARIEL LIANG:

As you are aware, the beginner's guide we're updating is only doing some cosmetic changes and minor updates on the text, because a lot of the content will be repurposed for the website. We do aim to publish the updated version in Dublin, but it's not going to be a [grand] event to launch a whole completely new beginner's guide. It's going to be much low key than you described. That's our goal.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay, thanks, Ariel. Any thoughts or comments on this recommendation? Going once, going twice. Okay, I think that completes all of the capacity building... Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks so much, Dev. On this with regards to the beginner's guide, I think it was already marked in the notes that we need [inaudible] as well [inaudible] in Dublin. So I don't know whether it's already an action item for this because we had looked at that in the Outreach and Engagement Working Group. We definitely need to also ask whether there could be some other beginner's guides for other parts of ICANN.

We've seen a few drafted, but it's obviously more beginner guides are needed for other aspects of ICANN's work. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. It was kind of slightly distorted there, but I guess the question is are there other such beginner guides for other ACs and SOs? If I understand you correctly. And whether the meeting in ICANN, we'll be talking about – Nora, I believe. Or is it the person in the [inaudible] department to [inaudible] beginner's guide?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I believe it's Nora.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. Thanks, Olivier. I do have one comment regarding the beginner's guides on that, and that I thought the way the strategic plan was laid out was activity I thought it was quite a different approach for presenting a strategic plan. If you go to that, it was in that link PDF where you had the key points in a side bar which was always on every single page, so you in effect, couldn't really get lost. I think that's sometimes a challenge with these beginner guides.

So I've heard Ariel say that there's not much time intended to be put on beginner's guide and the emphasis will be the website. But I'm thinking that the layout and the approach of the strategic plan is probably the way forward.

Any other thoughts or comments then on this recommendation 38?
Going once, going twice. So that concludes the capacity building ATLAS II recommendations. Yeah.

Well, on the agenda, do we need to look at the social media ATLAS II recommendations? Let's see. Okay. I think that Ariel has posted the link. Thank you very much, Ariel. It is up on the screen.

Now we're going to look at the social media action items. Let's walk right through it. Recommendation 17, ICANN needs to be sensitive to the fact that social media is blocked in certain countries and promote credible alternatives.

The Social Media Working Group is trying to do research on alternative social media platforms instead of the usual Twitter/Facebook. That is ongoing.

One thing that's noted is that group chat applications can fulfill the role of social media and how it disseminates the information in a manner similar to social media where you have instant messaging, you can agree to it, invite people to a conversation. We're thinking that, activity, Slack might be a very good tool for these types of internal communications. And the fact that with Slack you have a searchable history across all the conversations.

The question is for... Just to answer a question from Carlton, "What is the objective for social media?" the objective for social media is, I would say – I'm paraphrasing here – is for information to be readily shared and disseminated about the At-Large community, in order to foster more At-

Large engagement in ICANN At-Large. That's paraphrasing. Perhaps Ariel might have a better definition on hand, but that's the general objective.

One of the suggestions for [inaudible] using or recommending Slack as a tool where information can be pushed out to end users in a manner very similar to social media. In fact, Slack has mobile apps, for example. So you will get push notifications mobile device and you can then quickly respond more easily on the mobile apps, rather than, say, trying to log to the wiki using your mobile phone to try to add a comment to a conversation.

Those are the two key points regarding the social media working group discussions. Any comments or observations on this? Okay. Seeing no further hands raised or comments raised, let's move again to recommendation 21.

Recommendation 21 says encourage public campaigns on using the Internet for education, information, creativity, and empowerment. How we're looking at this is that ICANN itself has various resources that have become public campaign topics. I just posted a link to one example. This is a list of security-related resources for end users about cyber security and so forth, so we can leverage that and share those types of campaigns. We can also look at looking at the other organizations, the ISTAR organizations – Internet Society, the RIRs, etc. – look at their educational resources and then share those in conducting any public campaign. But it's not for us in the At-Large community to do these types of campaigns directly.

Any thoughts or comments on this? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. One of the things which you might wish to check is to see whether any of our ALSes are particularly involved in this monitoring of finding out what social media works, what social media is blocked where. So maybe just sending a note out to the ALSes or to the RALOs and getting the RALOs to identify any ALS doing this work will be helpful.

That said, I'm sure there are people on the Technical Taskforce, as you mentioned, who probably are the best people to speak to about this. It's just been worthwhile alternative also if one wishes to get more information.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. There's quite a few members on the social media working group, and perhaps this would be... I've not really addressed this, tackled this recommendation, more and more hands on on this. And that there was an action item and it hasn't been fulfilled by working group members that were listed to do this action item. We are going to try to push them to see if they could come up with certain recommendations as to... Well, you're talking about the previous recommendation which was recommendation 17. The work is ongoing. That's all I'm saying.

Now let's look at recommendation 22. Members of the general public should be able to participate in ICANN on an issue-by-issue basis. Okay, the information on the ICANN website should, where practical, be in clear and non-technical language.

What we have noted was that already the At-Large website redesign would go a long way in achieving this recommendation. Topic links for the various policy issues, like for example, WHOIS, new gTLDs, etc.

So that's one way of moving forward on it. And we've noted that there's already several [inaudible] micro sites already been done by ICANN. The WHOIS, for example. The IANA transition, the accountability. They all have micro websites that go in-depth into how explaining this particular topic issue.

Any thoughts or observations on this recommendation 22? Wolf, go ahead.

WOLF LUDWIG: Can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can. Go ahead, Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Regarding this recommendation, I really think it doesn't make any sense because it's a particular case of wishful thinking. A lot of people I know who are quite familiar with Internet and Internet-related issues have already difficulties to understand the role and the background of ICANN. And such [demands], if the general public should get involved in ICANN issues, in my opinion, it's ridiculous. It's a completely useless and out-of-context demand. [They] can also ask, well, for next winter, we would like to have all-over sunshine and 35 degrees. I think such

recommendations are counter-productive because we can write them down, we can recommend them, but they make no realistic sense at all.

Therefore, I would rather tend to drop such useless recommendations.
Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, thanks, Wolf. Interesting and maybe provocative thought on that, but any thoughts or observations from anyone? I see people typing in the chat. Maureen is chatting. Isn't that what the multi-stakeholder bottom-up process is all about? And especially from the At-Large community, to be able to participate in ICANN on the ICANN policy issues.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Dev, it's Olivier. Can I come in please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Are we on 21 or 22, because 21...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: 22.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, have we done 21 already?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. We are on recommendation 22.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I had a note on 21. For 21, I was just going to say public campaigns on using [inaudible] for education information [inaudible]. I'm very concerned that this falls way outside the remit of ICANN. ICANN is all about the Internet's identifiers. That's a bit difficult. So I would certainly be in favor of putting 21 aside.

As far as 22 is concerned, I do understand that members of the general public is a crazy thing to say everyone, every member of the general public should be able to participate on ICANN. But it does say on an issue-by-issue basis, and there are some issues which members of the general public might be interested in taking part in. Maybe end users – we should call it end users. We have to be careful in dropping that one because part of the mandate of At-Large is to relate to the ICANN processes insofar as they relate directly to end users.

So if we do not proceed forward with using clear and non-technical language or pushing for clear and non-technical language to be included with some of the work that is there, the ALAC is not really doing its job correctly. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Olivier. Any responses on these comments? I've seen quite a few bits in the chat here, but if somebody wants to take the floor and just express an opinion, go right ahead.

All right, well, seeing no further persons wanting to take the floor to talk about recommendation 22, one of the next recommendations is recommendation 23. This [is] completed. It's nothing much for the Social Media Working Group to do. Recommendation 23 says the roles and jurisdiction of the ombudsman should be expanded and the ICANN website should provide a clear and simple way for the public to make comments.

Discussions were had, and what we can do from the Social Media Working Group is – well, whenever the ombudsman does any public-facing reports, we can re-tweet and re-share those reports. We can monitor the ombudsman's social media channels and interact with that content, be it re-tweeting or asking questions.

But the actual part about the roles and jurisdiction of the ombudsman was earmarked for the Future Challenges, which I believe is – I'm not sure what has happened with regards to Future Challenges, I must admit.

Moving ahead to recommendation 24, also marked as completed, this talks about the [inaudible] ombudsman and contractual compliance should report regularly on complaints the receive – oh, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. I wondered whether recommendation 23... Did you say it was marked as completed?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: That is correct.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fine, thanks. I was going to suggest perhaps that this also links to Work Stream 2 of the ICANN Accountability Working Group, since one knows that there is going to be some work. I believe it is in Work Stream 2. There will be some work on the roles and jurisdiction of the ombudsman, and it might well be that some of the work of the ombudsman might change. I don't quite know, and perhaps someone can confirm this. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. It was on the wiki. It says Future Challenges. I would imagine that all of these recommendations for Future Challenges was transferred to the At-Large IANA Working Group that is monitoring IANA stewardship transition and accountability tracks. I think Ariel is updating it right now to ensure that it's been transferred to IANA transition and accountability. Okay, thanks for pointing that out.

Going now to recommendation 24, this is also marked as completed. From the discussions with the ombudsman is due to the confidentiality of his office, it is [inaudible] to actually post unresolved complaints and there's really a limitation on what the Social Media Working Group can do on that.

As mentioned for 23, we can interact with this social media content and promote his work when he does post something formally for public review or public comment, or as part of the public reporting, I should say.

Seeing no questions, let's look quickly to recommendation 26 for Social Media. Let's see. Well, we talked about recommendation 26 from Technology earlier. The main key focus for the Social Media Working Group is to come up with a taxonomy and that could be used on the At-Large website. This is where the taxonomy could be used to tag articles on the At-Large website and to tag the policy advice statements. That's something the Social Media Working Group will be working on.

ARIEL LIANG:

The taxonomy for the policy statement is already being created, as you're aware. So I think, for Social Media, maybe they can review what's already been tagged and discuss whether that's the right way to tag those statements. Because we do need some help for the news articles, for example.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thanks, Ariel. So [inaudible] posted. Has that taxonomy been posted anywhere for review by the Social Media Working Group?

ARIEL LIANG:

The taxonomy is on the website revamp wiki page. As you can see, it's one of the key deliverables and I will paste that in the chat for the record.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Great. Thanks, Ariel. Perhaps we just need to circulate that link on the Social Media Working Group list for review and comment. Two more recommendations, I believe, for the Social Media.

Recommendation 29, this is the ALAC [inaudible] automated system for tracking topics. The Social Media Working Group – well, observations we felt were that the RALO and liaison reports seems to fulfill requests for this recommendation. There's been work on trying to generate a template so that it becomes more... The formatting and the reporting is done in a more consistent and a more efficient manner. We also noted that the At-Large website redesign will also incorporate such templating of such reporting from the secretariats.

But the website redesign, what also happened, reports can also be [inaudible]. So what can is that when the RALO pages on the At-Large website is shown, the latest report can be pulled into the new [inaudible] of the RALO, for the RALO page.

Seeing no comments, let's move quickly then to recommendation #31. Yes. Recommendation 31, ICANN and the ALAC should investigate the use of simple tools and methods to facilitate participation and public comments and the use of crowdsourcing.

So—

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Have we lost Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Are you hearing me still?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now we can hear you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Am I back now? Okay, I just realized I went offline for a second. I'm back, good. What I was saying for the Social Media Working Group points on this, we investigated some of the tools already. So far, nothing stands out as yet.

One of the things that we were thinking of is right now for social media we tend to share information about At-Large community, but we don't really have an interaction or conversation via social media. We noted some policy conversations happen on the Skype chat, but is it possible to have such a conversation on social media?

Maybe what could happen is various working groups could ask a formal question to be posted on the At-Large social media, ask a question that hopefully can get a response from the persons on social media. So try to break down the policy issues to one key question that a working group needs feedback on, for example. Use hashtags to group conversations around a certain policy topic. That's the [inaudible] we're taking for the Social Media Working Group.

I think that's the completion of all of the recommendations that are allocated to the Social Media. It's now the top of the hour, so Olivier,

perhaps we should probably focus on next steps. I'll turn the floor back over to you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, excellent. Thank you. I seem to have some kind of an Internet link which is just started becoming alive on the mobile, but it's so slow that I'm unable to get into the Adobe Connect room still.

I guess we still have several of the working group recommendations that we haven't touched on in our list that is currently on the screen, which I can't see either, so I'm just imagining that this is the case.

However, one point that is important is we have actually touched on most – if not all – of the recommendations by looking at the other working groups since many recommendations were allocated to more than one working group.

What I would suggest as next steps is that Ariel and I can work to find out those recommendations remaining in those additional topics that we have not touched on yet at all, and we will focus on these when we meet face-to-face in Dublin.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Let me ask a question, Olivier. There's going to be an ATLAS II meeting in Dublin, but are we going to work on slides for all of the recommendations or focus on the subset focusing on the board or what?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Dev. At the present moment, I don't think that it would be a way forward, if you want, for the ALAC to present further recommendations to the board in Dublin for the simple fact that this ICANN accountability and IANA stewardship transition are two things that are still very much on the table, and I'm not quite sure whether the board would be listening to the ALAC for this.

Furthermore, and I guess I can turn to Alan about the agenda of the ALAC meeting with the board, I don't think that there would be any time to present any recommendations. Would there be? I don't know—

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alan had to leave the call, so he's not...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm not speaking on behalf of Alan and I have no idea what he wishes to address with the board. I do know that the list of ATLAS II recommendations that were previously submitted to the board are being looked at for updating. It might be that they would appreciate some sort of update. Whether that takes place with the GSE and they get back to the board or whether that takes place with just a few

minutes at the ALAC meeting with the board, that's something that perhaps the ALT could discuss later this week.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you for this, Heidi. Let the ALT discuss this later this week, then. I would guess it would take a subset of the recommendations that are currently on the table. We could work it this way.

I'm yet to hear any feedback from the recommendations that we have sent to the board previously, including the ones about ALAC advice, etc. I don't know whether you have actually gone through the internal staff route and so on and found out whether they were working on this. Did you just [inaudible] that they are working on it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I know that there's interest. Several of them could be, for example, working with the At-Large and GSE or the with [DPRD], etc. There is awareness of that. That's something, again, that you might wish to bring up the same recommendation to those departments and those staff when you meet with them in Dublin. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Heidi. My question to you was what happened with the recommendations we have already sent to the board?

HEIDI ULLRICH: They have been inserted into a tracking system. That's where they are right now and they've been updated. I think that there's some interest in getting updates.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. The interest in getting updates is for the ALAC to get updates from the board because the ALAC has asked for action on a number of things from the board. There is no update to add on our side regarding those recommendations we sent to the board. They are complete as far as we're concerned. They have to do something with them, not just look at us and say, "Hey, nice recommendations! [Any updates]?"

HEIDI ULLRICH: Several of those were connected to not only the board, but also to relevant staff, relevant divisions. Again, GSE, [DPRD], etc. I believe that those divisions and those people will be speaking to you and updating you on those activities in Dublin. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, all right. Thanks for this, Heidi. That's much clearer. That's one thing that we will be discussing. I will say we will have time for the working group itself, and I believe the working group itself is meeting. The working group itself will have time to spend on those recommendations which we have not even touched yet, if there are any that we still haven't touched yet. I can imagine there might be just a handful of [inaudible].

With this and not seeing anything at all, I don't have hands at the moment. My screen is frozen and nothing is working. I gather I'm still on because I hear some breathing on the line.

I'd like to thank you all for this call. I'd like to thank Dev very much for being able to step in on such short notice. I would apologize for the connectivity problems that I'm faced with here today. We had a flood a couple of days ago, for those who were not aware, and the infrastructure is pretty back to basics.

With this, I'll follow-up with staff to prepare for our work in Dublin and will follow-up on the mailing list as well. Thanks, everyone. This call is adjourned.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks to the interpreters.

TERRI AGNEW: Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]