
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the At-Large ATLAS II Implementation Taskforce call on Wednesday, the 30th of September 2015 at 17:30 UTC.

On the English channel, we have Alan Greenberg, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Siranush Vardanyan, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Glenn McKnight, Maureen Hillyard, and Jean-Jacques Subrenat.

For apologies, we have Gunela Astbrink, Holly Raiche, Eduardo Diaz, and Tijani Ben Jemma.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang; and myself, Terri Agnew.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Veronica and Marina. Our French interpreters today are Claire and Camila.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters. It looks like Wolf Ludwig has joined us as well. I'll now turn it back over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Terri. Have we missed anybody else on the roll call? Okay, it appears not so. Let's then move to our approval of the agenda. A very simple one. We're just going to continue our work going through the recommendations that we have that are allocated to several working groups and task forces and subgroups of the At-Large community. Are there any additional other businesses to add to this?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

I don't see anybody putting their hand up, so we can quickly look at the action items from our last call. There were quite a few action items. I just wonder is it worth going through those or should we just... Because it's quite a lot. Let's just go through and see what we can do.

All the ones which are during ICANN 54 in Dublin obviously will be answered once we're in Dublin.

For recommendation 41, it mentions that members of the At-Large New Meeting Strategy Working Group should keep the ATLAS II Implementation Taskforce updated with the discussions about the B meeting. Then there's something for Dublin, which we can move to the side, perhaps. Can we reformat the [inaudible] to have those for Dublin separate from the others? Then we know which ones to address when we are in Dublin.

The ATLAS II Implementation Taskforce to ask regional VPs to provide brief summaries of activities currently taking place in the respective regions that involve the RALOs as well as their further engagement plans with the ALSes.

I'm going to turn to staff regarding this because they're in touch with the regional VP. Heidi, I don't know whether you're able to speak now, but have the regional VPs been asked this in advance, so that they can present this in Dublin?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. The GSEs actually have been giving all of the information regarding the ATLAS II recommendations. In addition, it is now on a

board document. So all the recommendations that relate to the board or the GSE have been brought up to that level. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. Right. Then we can deal with all that in Dublin. Finally, recommendation 42 is the one to do with the budgeting of the At-Large Summit. I have put together the spreadsheet. I have sent it to the ALAC Finance & Budget Subcommittee with no response yet. And I guess their next step is to pass it on over to the ICANN board with a green light from the ALAC chair whom I believe is on the call if he's ready to give the green light on it. I'm not sure. We'll see.

And for Cheryl to also provide Olivier with the date and details of the two APRALO general assemblies. In the prehistoric days of At-Large, the Age of Stone... Cheryl, do you – okay. What we'll do then...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You and I have not yet managed to get that [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Let's then get back to this. Let's wait until you are able to find those dates and then we can add those to the list. Then, if we may, I guess the next step is to send it over to the ICANN board. I believe it's to the Board Finance Committee chair, Cherine Chalaby. Alan, is that the way forward? Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not quite sure. Should this really be going to the board before budget requests are made or do we just want to get a heads up for when it's coming? Technically, the Board Finance Committee approves the budget once it goes through the various budget iterations. Hello, am I here?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, you are here. I'm waiting. What should we do then?

ALAN GREENBERG: I guess I'm asking for input from Heidi. The only reason I could say of sending anything to the board now is just as a heads up, not asking for action.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. Just two points. Coming back to the previous action item, I have put into the chat a wiki that has all of the RALOs past general assemblies. So there's a one-stop-shop to be there, so [if you] complete that action item.

Regarding the general assemblies and the plan, two points there. One, please recall that in the response to the fiscal year '16 special requests there was a note stating NARALO and the AFRALO GAs, that those would be given priority in the next fiscal year. So the RALO would make

sense in my view, since there's going to be a meeting in October in North America. But I would think that they would prioritize a second one as well. And I think that's going to be APRALO, if I'm not mistaken.

The other thing is that I would suggest that you speak with Rinalia first before going to the full board. She's going to be I believe speaking with you on Sunday.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I don't think we'd go to the whole board. It would be the Finance Committee.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I am aware that Rinalia has taken a key interest in ensuring that there are general assemblies in enough sequences or timings that the RALOs can get together on a pretty regular basis.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. So all we're really doing is giving a heads up and essentially giving notice that if we followed the normal course of events of budget requests, we will not likely have enough general assemblies in the next two years.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. In addition, I would again bring it up first with Rinalia on Sunday before you speak to the board. Also, on Tuesday, in addition to speaking with the board, you're also going to be speaking with Xavier Calvez

Tuesday afternoon. I recall from the last meeting in Buenos Aires, it was noted that you would be preparing a timeline, such as Olivier's done. That's something you might want to bring up as well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. You're implying we're going to bring this up in the board at our meeting with the board. We were [inaudible] criticized by everyone including Rinalia that – not criticized, but comments on – that all we ever do is bring to the board things where they need to spend money. Do we really want to bring the summit up at this meeting? I'm asking a question.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

You have my red cross on the Adobe Connect, for the record. I think that bringing it up to the board is going to be a hassle, again. Just to provide you with an update, I did speak to Rinalia, and she has, through several e-mail exchanges, asked that we do send this to Cherine and that we start the discussion. I understand that she wants to proceed forward with starting this by having that document sent in advance of our meeting in Dublin. So that's why I'm asking the way forward and finding out what is the path that we should use to do that and whether there is a green light for the ALAC chair for this to happen.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Then we should send it to Cherine and Rinalia as soon as it's ready, a document that they requested.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this, Alan. [inaudible] by you again. I don't think there are any changes to be made to the document. I haven't had any feedback from the Finance & Budget Subcommittee. There's only been some positive replies so far to the document. I'm not sure if it's easily understandable, but I would hope that it is. If that's the case, then maybe we can send it over.

ALAN GREENBERG: I admit I haven't looked at it. I will do that soon.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Now, let's then move on. Just one more question, actually, regarding the action item for Cheryl. The prehistoric days, is that prior to the Mexico general assembly? Because the listings that we have in the wiki page all have started with the Mexico general assembly and I think I've got all of these registered anyway already. I think you were speaking about the ones pre-Mexico.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, that is correct. In fact, if you want to, [inaudible] in the morning and I haven't been out of an airplane for very long. Why don't you just put in a preamble there that says "and we recognize from earlier assemblies of At-Large Structures and leadership [inaudible] regions such as APRALO were facilitated" because they're not general assemblies as they were called then, but it could be argued that they were. I'll still dig them up and we'll put them on that wiki page.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So we recognize that there were other general assemblies prior to the ones that took place.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible] assemblies of ALSes and regional leadership facilitated prior to the Mexico general assembly, such as one or two meetings in APRALO. Just [inaudible] recognize [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: For each of the Memorandum of Understanding signings for each of the five RALOs, there was a meeting of all of the RALOs because they were all there to sign the document. So those certainly have to be on the list. Then there may be a couple in between.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And in our case, in some of the RALOs, those signings were done at the ICANN meetings. They still were not... Where there was a meeting of all the ALSes, but they [weren't] called general assemblies. Let's just recognize them. Let's not put them on the list, but just recognize them. But we do need to go out and make sure that that [list] now maybe has those as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Cheryl. Just to help Ariel on this, I think we have to take... There are other general assemblies. We take general assemblies. We should just say there are other meetings of ALSes

facilitated by ICANN. Or should we say facilitated and funded by ICANN prior to the Mexico general assembly?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There we go. Fantastic.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Actually, you could say before and up until the region sign as... The RALOs were formed. [inaudible] all happened before RALOs were formed, as Alan said, or up until the signing of the MOU and including that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Did we use computers back in those days?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Ha, ha, ha.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's move. No, it sounds just such a long time ago, and yet it's not that far ago. Let's go and continue our work. Dev Anand Teelucksingh has put his hand up. Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Just a quick correction to the general assemblies page. In 2007, at the Puerto Rico meeting, LACRALO had a general assembly to approve rules of procedure. So just something to note on that page. That's it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this, Dev. If that can be amended, then, on the wiki page please. I believe 2007 is before the general assembly of the first At-Large Summits. That page will obviously have to be updated. General assemblies based on RALOs.

Let's just get a move on on this. I'm seeing Ariel still doing some editing on that page. Are there any other comments on the action items that we have? No? Okay, then the last two action items that were on that page were the ATLAS II Implementation team to identify the recommendations that require ongoing efforts – for example, recommendation 10 – and single them out in a separate category. And also for the next ATLAS II IT to start with recommendation [19], which is what we're starting now.

So we haven't done this yet. We haven't separated the ongoing recommendations. We can do that after we've gone through our full pass of recommendations and then that will be the next step I guess.

Let us then move on in our agenda and let's go to agenda item #3, which is the review of the recommendations. We're going to start, as we said, with recommendation #19, capacity building. So #19. The page that it points to is actually quite long, and 19 is eliminate barriers to participation and engagement with ICANN processes and practices.

The assignees were the Capacity Building Working Group, which I believe – well, haven't come back to us yet, but perhaps we can start populating this a little bit. Therefore, I open the floor for suggestions on how to populate this recommendation. I guess capacity building webinars and seminars are probably the first obvious thing to be pointing out. There are quite a few that are currently in place, both with the Capacity Building Working Group but also that some of the RALOs are undertaking.

Let's give the floor to Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: With regards to recommendation 19, as given that the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee has also been looking at engagement issues, how to get existing members engaged in ICANN At-Large and in ICANN activities. I think that perhaps the assignee should also be assigned to the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee.

On this front, we have actually had a wiki page set up to bring about some discussion on the ideas for engagement, and it will be one of our agenda items at our Dublin, for the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee meeting at ICANN 55.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Dev. Is that page ready for being linked to already from this recommendation that we have on the screen?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. Given that we'll still be gathering comments on this page about specific ideas for engagement, as we continue to discuss this issue.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Dev. If you could send the link or put the link over in the chat, then Ariel can cut and paste it and add it to this page, that will be helpful. In the meantime, we will go to Glenn McKnight.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Already done.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: When I think of capacity building, I tend to see that we always talk about doing some online webinars. When I think of capacity building, I think it's slightly differently. I think of organizations which have strengths and weaknesses. That's something that we need to start thinking about is how do we assess our RALOs, what our human capital is in terms of whether doing policy work or volunteering for showcases or getting involved with outreach.

I think we need to have some kind of tool to actually engage our membership, so that they actually get to be involved. One of the things Judith and I have been talking to staff about is doing much more information sessions with our, I guess you would say, mainly absent ALSes to find out what the real needs are, try to get to where their point of interest is and engage them on their level of participation.

So I think we need to think about bringing people from one level up to another level and up to another level. It's normally... In fundraising, what we do is we don't ask for money from membership. We tend to ask for advice first, and then slowly develop a relationship, and then at some stage ask for money. It's a very systematic approach in terms of building the capacity within a group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Glenn. A question for you, then. You're speaking about bringing those individual ALSes forward. Are you saying that one would then contact them by direct e-mail and personalized e-mails, finding out basically the ones that are not really taking part in any activities and contact them one by one, or are you saying...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Judith can add her comments, too.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: What we will do is we've identified individuals who... You can hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, very well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. What I'm saying is Judith and I will be actually reaching out by e-mail or phone call to each of them. We will schedule certain dates that are on Adobe Connect, actually have a much more easy-flowing session, finding out exactly what their needs are and allow them the opportunity to ask any question rather than tell them what we think we need to know.

We've identified a very large group of people who have not been attending our calls and we want to find out why they're not. Judith can actually add to this where she's had detailed conversations talking to people. I think the interest is there. We have to bring people along where their level is and [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this, Glenn. Judith, do you wish to add anything? Judith Hellerstein?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Glenn, talking about [inaudible] to different other people, they kind of are on overload with all the e-mails and they kind of don't really which ones are the best to go to, which ones to allocate their time, how they can get involved. I think we would like to target capacity development to being how we can get these ALSes more engaged, because it seems...

First of all, the e-mails only go to one or two people who are the primary and secondary, and we would like to increase even that engagement, but for those people, the primary and secondary to

explain to the other people in their ALS, especially to have an understanding of what is happening and they're lacking that understand. They just get overloaded by all these e-mails and they just don't know what to do because they get the ALAC Announce and NARALO and some others, and they just feel like a fish out of water.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this, Judith. Ariel is taking notes about all of this. That's very helpful indeed. Are there any other comments for this recommendation at this stage? Obviously, the bulk of the work should be done and the bulk of this recommendation should be done by the capacity building and the outreach and engagement groups. But if that's currently what's going on, it is good to record it underneath here.

I believe that this is ongoing because we are yet to see the results if you want from this work, and obviously there is a lot of work going on now to strengthen that relationship that we have, or that we may not have with our At-Large Structures. At least there is movement going on in there and that's very good.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, if I may get in.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan Greenberg, yes, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Since I haven't heard any mention of it, the ALS Criteria and Expectations group has a big chunk of this. I mean, the actual implementation is going to have to be passed on to other people, but a significant part of what we're doing is how do we get ALSes and all of their members actually involved? Let's not forget that part because that's the short-term intense part that should be leading up to work that's done by a lot of other groups afterwards.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Alan. Is it okay, then, to add that group also to the assignees? I see that Ariel is running forward full speed today.

ALAN GREENBERG: [inaudible] have that task regardless.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, great, thank you. Ariel has already added it, so it's all ready. Excellent. Perfect. Let's then move on. Thank you for this input for recommendation 19.

Number 20 has already been touched upon, since we have looked at it through different angles, and that's to do with the policy management process system, some kind of tool to use. I think we have an enormous amount of information on this at the moment and that's in progress until we finally have that tool ahead of us.

Looking at the page, I don't think we really need to add anything else at the present moment, except that there is a latest news about the building of this tool.

Okay, so no more comments on this. I think we can scroll down to #29, and 29 is for the ALAC to implement and automated system for tracking topics of interest. Currently being discussed among the various RALOs and accessible by everyone.

That's a case of being able to... [inaudible] reversing, isn't it? Seeing what the other RALOs are currently discussing. Where are we with regards to this tool? Are we to build a tool from scratch or can this just be a specific wiki page or something to that extent? There has been some input from the Social Media Working Group and there has been input from the Technology Taskforce. Is there anything else to add to what we currently have here?

The Technology Taskforce is looking to syndicate RALO topics across all of the RALO wiki pages using the confluence wiki capabilities and the Social Media Working Group has actually worked now on a regional secretariat template. I'm not quite sure actually whether that template is now in use, widely in use, or whether this is still in its infancy, still in its testing stage. I see Dev Anand Teelucksingh has put his hand up. You have the floor, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: The Technology Taskforce, primarily myself, looked at how to use confluence to—

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Have we lost Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: To do this templating, so that when the RALO leaders... Are you hearing me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we can hear you. There might have been a delay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: My apologies. Let me start quickly again. I did work on a template in confluence that kind of can capture what the RALO leaders are in a very structured way. But I'm thinking that the At-Large website redesign, especially how it has dedicated RALO sections can possibly be a better way to implementing this recommendation.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Am I still being heard?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, you are being heard. Thank you for this update, Dev. That's a good idea. As we all know, the website will – well, the beta version is now

online, but the website will be very soon explained to our community. Maybe we can put this as a follow-up, I guess. Maybe the website might be able to provide us with this [facility].

ARIEL LIANG: May I just give a quick comment on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Ariel. I was expecting that you were going to comment. You have the floor.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Olivier. For the website, we do have a new section that we already developed some kind of template for staff [inaudible] putting news article. Then the RALO pages, they have some kind of integration with their news page, so that any news article that is tagged in the RALO tag will automatically appear in the RALO page.

For the beta, we're now going to allow community members to log into the site, but [inaudible] figure out log-in issues and then gradually expand to the community to allow leaders at least to access the site and upload content. So that will be addressed, but you have to stay tuned.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this update, Ariel. It's very helpful. I think that this can then remain as an ongoing recommendation, or in progress, or whatever the name is. What's important obviously it's pending the

launch of the new ALAC website. It looks – and I guess we will have to evaluate this once the website is up – if that website will satisfy this recommendation, then we will be able to mark it as done at that point. But let's first see the website. So thank you for this. Let's go to the next one.

The next one is #33, the ALAC should arrange more capacity building webinars. There is a question mark underneath that statement which says need to define what capacity building is and possibly change the term. That said, I am aware of a very thorough time table of webinars that has been undertaken in the past year, I would say. There's at least one a month, if not more than that, when there are topics that require intermediate webinars for specific topics. I just wonder whether this can be marked as done because we have certainly a lot more webinars.

I have certainly noticed that the attendance to these webinars has not been particularly stellar, and therefore I do wonder what else we can do about this. Are there any comments regarding that? I've been a bit concerned about the low participation in the webinars. Yet, [Ariel] has asked for more capacity building webinars. The floor is open for discussion here.

Maureen Hilyard, you have the floor.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Olivier. I just wanted to mention that I guess when we're looking at capacity building and the webinars, there are topics that of course are like cross-community and, quite importantly, [inaudible]

IANA and the accountability issues of course are important. They attract people who are interested in that.

But I think a note needs to be made of, for example, with APRALO. We have the APAC Hub and they are working very closely with the region to try and address what the needs are within the region, and I think this is very important because what might seem to be important to one region may not be as important in another, like looking at priorities. We've really appreciated being able to work in collaboration with the Hub to be able to bring what we think is relevant to our community.

I think we're already starting together more people. Siranush does a lot of promotion [inaudible] reports at the meetings. It's a continual... It's like a drifting [inaudible], basically. We just have to select [inaudible] our ALSes to select, encourage them to participate. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Maureen. Ariel is taking the notes. That's good. Next is Dev Anand Teelucksingh. I will call on Glenn as well afterwards because he has marked in the chat that he has noticed the same usual suspects in the webinars. Let's go to Dev first. Dev Anand Teelucksingh?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I think one of the challenges has been – well, not everybody can be at that webinar at that particular date and time. I think one of the challenges has been the ability to use those webinar materials after that date and time, so it can be shared more easily on social media, distributed among ALSes, that type of thing.

It's a challenge with Adobe Connect because you require a lot more work to convert, say, the recording of the Adobe Connect into a format such as YouTube. You have to do a conversion process, and literally like playing back the actual recording in real time in order to convert it to MP4. So that really is one of the challenges. Maybe we need to have – probably the Technology Taskforce could have a discussion with Josh, with ICANN's IT staff, and see if there's a workaround that could be done for that.

What I'm saying is that capacity building webinars aren't accessible enough for easier sharing and playback and downloadability and so on. You have to play it back in your browser which has to have Flash installed, etc. It's not conducive for sharing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Dev. That's a very valid point. I was not aware of that, and I wonder whether we even have any kind of statistics or data to find out if any of those archived webinars have ability been consulted and to what extent they have been consulted. Tracking this would be important because we can count the number of people that attended the webinar as it took place, but we don't really know any of the downloads and listening to the recordings afterwards.

I know that Ariel is writing down the notes as we speak. There would be some action items coming out of this, obviously, for the Technology Taskforce to check with Josh on this to obviously make some kind of repository of all of our webinars. I know that they all are on the wiki page. To publicize those potentially regularly with our At-Large

Structure, because I'm not even sure whether the At-Large Structures are aware of this repository, and especially those new At-Large Structures that have just been ratified that usually are quite eager to learn, at least in the early days, to try and find out what exactly they've just signed up to.

I see Cheryl Langdon-Orr and then Glenn. So let's go in the order. Cheryl, you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, and hopefully the audio is better for the interpreters now. I support exactly what's been said before me, but I just want to point out I think the collection of what I suspect, they're almost inconsequentially numbered very low numbers of downloads, should be seen not as a criticism but as a base point and an argument for building better access technologically that Dev was outlining. So let's start using baseline numbers, which will be a very simply low number now by recording [inaudible] this is where we were and this is after we've got facilitation and greater accessibility and use of pushing these existing pieces of material out as resources.

But of course it could also be pushed to the ALSes and the individual ALS members during their accreditation phase as well. So it would be more a case of they know what they're getting into as opposed to what they got into. Those sort of things I think are important, but it also means that we can then watch a steady growth of trust [inaudible] steady growth of numbers showing greater access and greater use. We're talking about needing to have metric-based decision-making and

rationalization for improvements in policies and policy development processes and outcomes there. Let's also do it in improvements for the sort of software [inaudible] especially [inaudible] can rationalize sending that as a criteria out for future choices of media, material, and engagement. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Cheryl. Let me ask staff, and Heidi perhaps there, whether when new ALSes sign up now, amongst the material that is sent to the new ALS when it has been ratified, there are links to the capacity building webinars or those webinars, which there are quite a few already.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would need to double check that. I'm going to say yes tentatively, but I would need to double check that either with Nathalie or Ariel. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you for this, Heidi. Let's go to Glenn McKnight.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Just going on exactly what Cheryl was saying as well. I posted in the chat that we need to provide probably a small little blog post summary to uplift the deliverables in the webinars to get people salivating a little bit. People learn when they want to learn. It doesn't always fit their school. So [just in time] learning really is important. We at NARALO have

created a monthly newsletter. I think this is ideal to put into our newsletters that these webinars are done and they're exciting and available and you can download them on many different formats and watch them when you want to watch them, if you have insomnia.

The organization that I belong to, the academic training that IEEE has, we do our webinar, but tracking the stats is far more – because they have 450,000 members – far more people watch the webinar after the fact way more. I think we need some proper tracking and I think we need some flexibility to our community.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much for this. Just a quick question for you. After a webinar has taken place, to what extent is that webinar then publicized among members, etc.? By what means is it publicized? Is it through the website that it's easily accessible or is it by e-mail? How does one know of all this repository of webinars?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

A couple of things, and I'll give you an example with IEEE. It's broken down into chapters for regions. All of them have the same template. It's like a Twitter feed update to each of the sections' main page, so that information [inaudible] go in and download and watch the webinar after the fact. We also have a mailing with a summary of news on a regular basis to all the members. Again, it's member-based. You need your IEEE membership to get in and be able to watch it. It's not open to anyone.

Other groups that do it slightly different is NTEN, that's the not-for-profit organization that [inaudible] and I have attended. They have a really, really good networks of not-for-profits [for] their academic upgrading and training. They tend to get some very interesting industry people to come in and speak on a particular topic. They're very, very vibrant Twitter feeds that the people do. There's usually one or two dedicated staff that tweet throughout the entire webinar some little tidbits of information which keeps people quite enthusiastic.

You can actually see the stats on how long people stay during the webinar, which is important, too. Then what they'll do is use things like ReadyTalk which do these automatic polls all the way through, so that you actually – it keeps people on their toes, so that they actually need to answer a question, so people don't fall asleep or watching something else.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's great. Thank you for this, Glenn. Next we have Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Two things, as I'm listening to other people. Olivier, I think it was you who said we've built up quite a large repertoire of these webinars. That sounds like a good thing, but to someone who's trying to find out where to start, that becomes intimidating and a real challenge.

Some of our webinars – let's be candid – are really, really good. And some of them not so. Some of them have a life afterwards and some are

very targeted at a specific issue that's going on at this very moment and may not be nearly as relevant three months later or a year later.

So I think we need to provide more guidance to people how to use that resource. If you're starting of brand new and know nothing about it, these are one or two good ones to look at and that kind of thing. Again, it's more staff and volunteer work to provide a framework so people know how to use these resources.

The second issue is, as Glenn was speaking, he was continually referencing the fact that these Twitter feeds and other things were aimed at individuals. Individual members of these organizations. They may be grouped together in local chapters or something. In our case, we're not reaching those, and therefore it's not particularly surprising they don't use our resources. Again, it comes down to how do we get all the way through our ALSes to their members. And when we do, we have to make sure that we can provide things to them that will make sense given their level of knowledge and involvement and interest.

On several levels, we need to keep focused on what it is, who it is we're trying to attract and how do we get them particularly engaged? Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: My hand will go down in a while, but not right now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Alan. I'll bear this in mind. I wonder, as to the first point that you've made, whether the wiki page which links to all of the webinar recordings should be formatted in a way that is more intuitive than just listing them by date. As you said very well, there are some that are just going to be good for that specific week, but absolutely use this further down the road.

That really comes down to the presentation of those recordings and the intuitive interface for people to be able to go in one direction or another. But of course it's not the work of this group here to decide on this, but I would imagine that the working groups that are engaged in this – and the Capacity Building Working Group is probably the one in charge of that – should be working to make this more easily accessible. [inaudible] redrafting those things.

In fact, it will be interesting because we've got the next recommendation looking at the beginner's guides to be more easily accessible.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Olivier, one more thought. It can't be all volunteer work. There's got to be staff involvement, too.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this, Alan. Now that the website will be finished, Ariel will have so much time on her hands. I'm kidding, Ariel. Do not shut down your computer.

ARIEL LIANG: [inaudible]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. That's great. I look forward to it. Heidi, perhaps we can think of this as we reach Dublin. I do recall a while ago that there were questions as to whether we would have interns that could be used to help out on those things. That sounds like the kind of a project that would be really good for an intern.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, there is going to be an intern program for ICANN. Nora can talk to you more about that when you meet with her in Dublin on Sunday. That is a good suggestion. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Heidi. I have two hands up in the queue. I believe these are old hands, both of them. I know that Alan's one is not a new hand. Glenn, is that a new hand?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. That's [filled up] pretty well, so let's then move now to recommendation #38. And as I mentioned a moment ago, ICANN should ensure that its beginner's guides are easily accessible.

In some extent, it's the same sort of problem as the webinars, isn't it? We've got beginner's guides that are linked somewhere, and that not everyone manages to find. I guess that the website redesign is going to help with the easily accessible beginner's guide. I also believe, though, that some of these beginner's guides might need a quick refresh. ICANN has the tendency to move and change and morph, and the beginner's guides are starting to age, unfortunately, although they are very helpful indeed.

Let's see with Alan Greenberg, who has put his hand up again.

ALAN GREENBERG: This is not quite addressing beginner's guides, but it's in a similar vein. I did sign up for ICANNLearn a while ago and looked at some of the courses and was completely both overwhelmed and underwhelmed. I look at the Intro to ICANN and there were – I don't remember – 30-odd items I could've picked from. The focus, I think, was let's look at the board and how it works and things like that, which is the least interesting part for a newbie in At-Large to be thinking about.

Again, some of these things – interns are a good idea. We really need someone who hasn't done all this to look at them and make judgment calls of what's useful, what is not useful, what is organized well, what needs a front end to it. There's a huge amount of information, but almost impossible to assimilate, I would guess.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Alan. Very good point that you've made here. Heidi, where are we on ICANNLearn? How do courses end up on ICANNLearn.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe you should be working with Jeff Dunn. Anybody who would like to have a course developed can work with him and he will work with you to put that onto the wiki page. It's a very simple process. I know that the capacity building webinar – working group – now has a liaison that will be working directly with Jeff. But any group and any person who has an idea for a course [inaudible], just contact Jeff Dunn. Again, he will be meeting with you on Sunday I believe with Nora as well. As well as the Technology Taskforce in Dublin. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Heidi. I wonder, since we are going to see so many of the people that are referred to in our recommendations, whether there is a way for us to be reminded of those recommendations when we meet with those people. In other words, bringing up recommendation – well, perhaps not the whole recommendation 38, but saying that one of our recommendations in the At-Large Summit was to have the beginner's guide more easily accessible, to have the courses, all of this capacity building material, and basically work from there with Jeff Dunn. Is there a way to remind ourselves of this? Because I certainly won't remember. We'll have it as an action item, discuss the online courses with Jeff Dunn.

Any other comments or questions on this? Wasn't there at some point an opportunity to have some [moogs] or something, they were called? Is that what ICANNLearn is?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, pretty much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Pretty much. Okay, thanks. Let us move on, then.

ARIEL LIANG: Sorry, I just wanted to add one comment to that recommendation, Nathalie and I to [inaudible] to refresh one of our related beginner's guides, the guide for At-Large Structures and it's currently calling for comments from the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee. We posted that on the wiki with our [inaudible]. Some of the contents on the [inaudible] will be [inaudible] for the website. We will probably transform them into webpages, so that staff can update them more timely and more conveniently in the future. Yes, that's one.

Sorry. I'm also working on [another] guide. Actually, I'm drafting a guide on the ALAC. I'm aiming to have finished that draft sometime this weekend or early next week. I think that will be shared during a development session, but I need to talk with Heidi and Alan about that after.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this, Ariel. Dev, just in case we have missed it the first time around, has put another link to that beginner's guide to ALSes currently posted by staff for comment. The comment period closes on the 5th of October, so you've got the link in the chat. You have time, bring your comment in.

I think we have pretty much finished with recommendation 38 at the moment. We have some follow-ups, obviously, on this with Jeff Dunn and with others. That's great, filling this up.

Now, we have finished the capacity building recommendations. The next set of recommendations is the Finance & Budget Subcommittee. For this, I invite you all to have a look. There's only one small problem. I don't see a link to the recommendation itself. Is there a link to this recommendation in the... That's interesting. I have no permission to see this page.

ARIEL LIANG: Let me double check. Now it's shared on the screen.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's shared on the screen, but it seems that there's a problem with the actual page itself. Either that or I've been stripped of every single [inaudible] read anything on the wiki, which will certainly free a lot of my time. There you go.

ARIEL LIANG: Please refresh, [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Magically, it's appeared. Thank you. So recommendation #2, ICANN should increase support, budget, and staff to programs having brought valuable members to the community.

A lot of input from there already. Input from the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee. Input also I believe with the capacity building has worked on this. The Finance & Budget Subcommittee I believe haven't really looked at this yet. I know that there certainly are points here, actions to be followed up in Dublin with Xavier Calvez. What I would suggest is this looks quite complete at the moment, unless anybody wishes to add anything to this. We can just wait and tackle this when we see Xavier Calvez in Dublin. Are there any other comments to make on this? Heidi Ullrich, your hand is up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: One other person you may wish to speak with would be Nora. [inaudible] speaking with you on Sunday in Dublin. Again, I believe this recommendation includes such programs as the fellows and possibly NextGen, etc. You may wish to consider that as you go forward. thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Heidi. Thank you for this reminder. That's a good point. Let's also add notes that we should speak about this to Nora and reminding her or letting her know that this is an ATLAS II

recommendation. Serious point that we're bringing forward. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Certainly we need to refine what programs we're talking about in the recommendation. If I look at some of the ones that are not showing on the bottom of the screen right now, some of them I think are easy to demonstrate why they have been valuable to the community; otherwise we'd have a real case to make. If indeed we believe they're valuable, we need to make [inaudible] case.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thanks for this, Alan. The Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee has listed leadership training, NextGen, Fellowship, CROPP, regional strategic plans, language services, online courses, ATLAS and RALO face-to-face general assembly as being current programs that brought valuable members to the community. Is there a consensus here that they indeed brought valuable members to the community or are there any that didn't really benefit much, or in fact, have we missed – or have they missed – any programs so far in the list?

Because what this recommendation would effectively be saying is to continue to focus on all of those programs, and therefore expand on leadership training, on NextGen, on fellowship, etc. Listed in no particular order. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'm not saying we should be defining them, but if we are going to try to sell something, then I think we need examples and we need metrics to demonstrate. As an example – and I'm not using it as history – if we have an ATLAS and we can demonstrate that it's added two volunteers to the community, that's a bloody large price per volunteer. On the other hand, if we can demonstrate that there's 50 more people who are regularly attending our meetings, that's a different issue.

I think we really need to take a hardnosed – and I know there are some who will object to it – business look at this and say if we can only invest our money in certain aspects, where do we put it?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for this, Alan. Good points. Let's have Glenn McKnight next.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, hi. I know that Dev has expressed opinions on this as well. I noticed that in the Outreach and Engagement, what's missing there is convergent or complementary with GSE. We've seen in our North American example outreach efforts have been done without consultation or participation with NARALO ALSes. We are hearing about three events. Not sure about the Toronto one yet.

If we're going to be doing outreach, it's a great idea that we piggyback this [inaudible] support or goal. I know in the case of Joe and Erin in Montreal, I'll be filming it. I'll be filming it. I'll be participating. I asked for brochures to distribute at that event, which I have not received confirmation yet if those brochures have been sent.

We need far better communication between use and the GSE. Maybe I'll invite Dev to comment on that as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Glenn. That's a very good point you're making as well. That I think is probably something to address when meeting with the GSE staff in Dublin as well. That obviously... We've got a link here to meeting with Xavier Calvez, meeting with Nora, and meeting with the GSE staff is a good point.

I do know that some regions appear to work better than others. Certainly the AFRALO region has benefitted greatly from the synergy, I'm aware. I note it might be the case with other regions as well. I certainly know that we're at the very beginning in the European region and that synergy is starting to show slowly. It might be that some regions are not as advanced as others, or it might well be that there is a problem there. But bringing it up with the GSE at the meeting in Dublin will be a good moment to discuss this with all of the global stakeholder regional VPs present in the room.

That's been added to the list of things that we need to do. I guess we can also add that we do recognize that for those regions where there has been a synergy between – or an engagement of – the global stakeholder engagement department with the At-Large community, this has been very beneficial. I don't see it in the list at the moment, so we might wish to add this on this page.

Coming back to Alan's point on the listing that we have. Carrying out this – what would you call it? This evaluation of which one of the

programs have ability been efficient as far as the costs are concerned, Alan would you say that we would need to perhaps order this list in evaluating which ones are the best ones for one's buck, as one would say, in a certain way? Or is it outside our remit to order those? Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think there's two different parts to that answer. Some of them we probably don't want to give up even if they don't have a great return on investment. The regional assemblies I think are among those. We have to continue to figure out how to make them more effective. But the fact that they haven't been as effective as we might want in the past... If we don't continue those, then we may as well just give up. Some of them are in that class.

On the other hand, you could look at it and say if I had to give up one of these programs, which one would I give up? It certainly wouldn't be the fellowship. It certainly wouldn't be the leadership training program right now.

The question is let's go through them sort of cynically and say which ones might we want to give up if there was a real crunch? Remember, we're looking at an ICANN where the revenue streams in the future are very uncertain. We really don't know what the new gTLD program was going to do in bringing in revenue, and the forecasts have been high. Every time we reevaluate, they go down.

So we may well be in a position where some decisions are going to have to be made and I think we need to look at it. We're not going to be the

only ones inputting into this process, but I think it's a really important question. It's a hard one to do because we don't know what the success rates are in many of them and we don't know what the costs are in many of them. But I still think we need to start thinking about it. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Alan. Would you say it would be the task of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee to look at this further.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think they're probably better placed than most, yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this. Let's have an action item then for the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee to do exactly what you were saying, which is to look at those programs and see which ones were the most beneficial and the ones that can just not be lost. Hoping of course that we can keep all of them, because obviously that is the list of the programs that we have found to be very valuable... Have to be kept.

Thank you, Ariel, for your very fast typing. Let's move to #40, ICANN should offer a process similar to the community regional outreach pilot program (CROPP), but applicable to short lead-time budget requests not related to travel. The action items were to send it over to the Finance & Budget Subcommittee to find out what would be allowed regarding promotional items, this sort of thing.

The Finance & Budget Subcommittee hasn't met in a while, so I don't think that there's been any work done on this specifically. More recently there have been work done just to look at the communications budget. Well, the whole number of points regarding the CROPP, we had a long discussion about CROPP the last time. The question really is what else there is out there?

There is a civil society engagement plan. There are other proposals which are out there on the table, but is there something that goes in our direction?

At the moment, we see pending the outcome of ICANN civil society engagement efforts. Do we wish to do anything else until we know a little more about the civil society engagement of ICANN? There is a question in the chat. When is the Finance & Budget Subcommittee meeting? I do not know. I know that usually there is a meeting as soon as it has some work on the table specifically to do with budget requests, etc. Alan, are you planning to have a FBSC meeting at some point in the near future?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think we probably would've had one quite a while ago if we weren't so occupied with other things. The answer is, yes, we have to. I believe the Finance & Budget Subcommittee have still not appointed the formal representatives to CROPP yet, to the CROPP review team. [inaudible] there needs to be some work on it.

On the item in general, I don't think there's much chance that you're going to get ICANN to open up a very short turnaround budget request

process for unspecified things. Now, if we have a laundry list of the types of things we're looking at, there's nothing to stop the ALAC from putting in a general envelope budget to say we would like a certain amount of money to be allocated to the RALOs as necessary throughout the year to do the following kinds of things.

But again, you need to be specific. We can't keep it vague and expect someone to say, yes, that's really important.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this, Alan. I note that Heidi has put in the chat that there is a communications bucket that can be used. Hopefully the bucket is filled with money. But a communication bucket that can be used within reason for printed materials.

I also do recall one recent meeting – and recent could be anything up to a year away – where, was it Fadi or someone from senior staff told us if we gave you \$10,000, if we put \$10,000 a year like this for the ALAC to allocate on something, would this do the job? I vaguely remember this. I hope I didn't dream this. Does anyone remember the discussion that was had?

ALAN GREENBERG: I remember it explicitly. That was at the last board meeting. It was in specific response to visa problems and costs. There is some question, number one, whether the money was actually allocated; number two, who has discretion over spending it; and number three, is it only travel related?

Yes, it was mentioned. We have a little bit of follow-up to do.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Alan. Thanks for refreshing my old mind, which unfortunately has been half friend with time. Dev Anand Teelucksingh, you're next.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think precisely what that discussion that's happened at Buenos Aires w the ALAC and the board, where there's a short-term contingency that needs to be funded. If we had this program in place, a certain allocation of money, then those sorts of issues can be funded.

The problem is right now... Then it comes up to why the recommendation was in place. Precisely because we can't budget all contingencies a year-and-a-half in advance. Once we lost that opportunity to submit budget proposals, that's it. You can't do anything for a year-and-a-half. I really think that this type of program would actually be of great benefit. I don't know how much would be the final sum that should be allocated.

But given that there was no real objection by the ICANN board when Fadi made that suggestion, I'm thinking it's possibly doable. We don't have to have the same conversations about funding at ALAC board meetings.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Dev. Obviously, if Fadi has said we will do this, we better get him to take his checkbook out quickly before he leaves ICANN. Let's go to Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. My understanding, and perhaps you can have a follow-up in Dublin. I would not suggest you bring it up at the board meeting again. What I've heard was that was related to visa issues. You will note that in the run-up to Dublin, that there has been a lot more flexibility in terms of people needing to travel to get their visas than there have been in the recent past. So we are seeing the impact of that statement by Fadi. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, that's great. Thank you for this, Heidi. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. My recollection is different than Heidi's. I will, perhaps if I get the time, take it upon myself to go back and look at the transcript. My recollection is Fadi said, "Hey, if you have problems..." And the visa was the example, but it was an example, would it help if you had a small discretionary fund to address issues without having to climb the hierarchical ladder and get multiple approvals for things?

That was my understanding, that it was not necessarily related directly associated with visas, although visas was an issue that brought it up. It was not necessarily directed related to travel. Personally, I also thought that this was something that the advisory council had, not the staff

person had, although clearly staff has to sign off on it as a budget expense.

We need some clarifications. I did not think that it was, the way we were ongoing, going to fund visas in the future – that this was to handle things that came up on the short term and we needed to turnaround quickly. But it is going to need some significant enhancement, and we actually need to [see] some money, which at this point as far as I know we haven't.

It's one of these issues of a great thing was said off the top. Now we need to follow up and find out what's going on. Is it going to be acted on?

Back to what dev was saying, though. I don't really want an ICANN-wide project for small funding. I think we want to be able to turn these things around within our own jurisdiction. Yes, if you think of something which did not fit in any envelope that we have gotten budget for, this \$10,000 might be the way we can fund something on a one-of-a-kind basis, but I think we have a responsibility to try to identify the kinds of things we're talking about, and then do formal budget requests. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Alan. Would you think that in the extra budget requests that SOs and ACs make during the normal budget cycle, there would be a possibility of asking for a \$10,000, for example, fund that would be discretionary without attending it to any specific project?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm assuming you're talking about over and above the \$10,000 that we were talking about for the last ten minutes. We already have a communication budget like that that we can use at our discretion to fund RALO-related, or ALAC and/or RALO-related communications type things. So we've already done it in one case. We could do it in other instances, too, if we come up with some concrete examples of the kinds of things we may want to use it for.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Wow, that's a lot of text that has been added now to this page. Thanks very much for your contribution here. It's filling up quite well. We obviously have some follow-up to do with regards to the actual discussion that took place with Fadi's announcement in Los Angeles – or was it in Buenos Aires?

Alan Greenberg, your hand is up again.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. On the dialogue that goes along with this, which now is off the screen, please don't say the \$10,000 was for visa issues. Say perhaps for visa issues or something, but I don't want to lock it in that we're acknowledging that's what it's for. I believe it was wider than that, but I may be wrong. Let's couch our words properly. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Alan. We can now move further down to the next recommendation and that's recommendation #41. I guess 40, by the way, before we close off on this, is not only pending the outcome of

ICANN civil society engagement efforts, but obviously pending a follow-up for a clarification with Fadi on this. Certainly not clarification during the board meeting. I think this can use the [inaudible] channels in finding out exactly, perhaps, even as you meet with Fadi on the Friday, Alan, or another occasion where maybe there might be other people to ask and say, “Hang on, do you remember this? What exactly was meant there?” Or going back to the transcripts themselves.

ALAN GREENBERG: I plan to do it before the meeting. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Alan. Now, number 41, the ALAC should with the ICANN board in seeking additional sources of funding for At-Large activities. That was one firmly sent to the Finance & Budget Subcommittee. The ALAC and At-Large was going to request this recommendation be implemented under the new ICANN meeting strategy looking specifically – or especially looking at meeting B to have an AC/SO focused meeting. Is there anything else to add to what is currently here?

I note that the FBSC will engage with various parties or could engage with various parties that can help raise sponsorship in the future. And by sponsorship, we’re looking at third-party sponsorship.

The last time that we brought this forth to the board, I think it was in the discussion of other points, the board said, “Excellent. So we will cut your funding if you get funded from elsewhere.” That was obviously a

tongue-in-cheek comment from them. I hope it was. But the fact is that there is still no real understanding as to whether we should get additional funding. So far we have some funding from sponsors to carry out our showcase activities, etc. I'm not sure about anything else that would be needed to add to this for the time being.

Maureen Hilyard, you have the floor.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Olivier. Just to add to that from the new meeting team, I know that originally sponsorship was actually going to be requested because we thought that funding would be required when we were looking at outreach activities outside of the meeting. But since our last meeting [inaudible] actually expressed that the process of the outreach was to engage outsiders if needed from within the meeting. So I'm not quite sure what sort of sponsorship would be required.

We do have a team within the new meeting group which is looking at the meeting that is actually going to be held somewhere... Does anybody know where it's going to be held? They're actually looking at some activities outside and some activities inside. [inaudible] to be concerned. And I think [it will] be discussed in Dublin. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for this, Maureen. Good update. I note, actually, that in the action items it does point to Dublin as discussion we need to have with GSE and the meetings team as well, and also with Nora Abusitta. Again, that's another one of these recommendations that we need to bring up

when we meet with ICANN staff. I hope we'll be able to flag those, but I'm sure we'll find a way.

Okay, I don't see any other hands up at the moment. We are nearly finished with those recommendations here and we only have five minutes until the end of this call. It's gone so quickly.

Recommendation 42, ICANN should enable annual face-to-face RALO assemblies either at ICANN regional offices or in concert with regional events. I think that this one we have already pretty much touched very much, and that all works with our At-Large funding roadmap which is linked to this recommendation. It already is there for you to be able to download.

Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'll point out this recommendation could be read two different ways. It's unclear whether we're asking for annual assemblies for some RALO or annual assemblies for each RALO. I think it's actually asking for each, which means five assemblies per year. Some clarity would be useful. Otherwise, people are going to read it completely different ways.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for this, Alan. Thanks for pointing this out. I guess now is the right time for us to focus on this and discuss whether it's five assemblies per year or not.

ALAN GREENBERG: The reference to regional offices implies an assembly even if there's no meeting in the region that year, which is why I thought the reading was five per year.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yep. Well, what should we go for? What should we ask? What is reasonable?

ALAN GREENBERG: I suspect in terms of overall budget, that might be overreaching just a bit.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this point, Alan. Are there any other thoughts on this call? Should this recommendation say or be amended somehow or perhaps be interpreted as ICANN should enable annual face-to-face RALO assemblies either at ICANN regional offices or in concert with regional events on a rotating basis? Which then spreads out the assemblies over more than one year. Are we just being too nice at the moment? Should we just say, no, we want them all every year and we start this with our strong position?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Do you really think resource-wise, staff-wise, and human bandwidth-wise, you could possibly do such a thing? I support your rewritten language.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Cheryl. I don't think. I want. That was a joke, again. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not sure your rewritten language is very different from what we have today. Again, I think we need to clarify it. It may no longer be a recommendation. If we're toning it down from the way I think it was originally written, which as Cheryl points out, resource-wise, even ignoring money, is probably unrealistic, then it may not be very different other than ramping up slightly what we're doing today.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Instead of just adding to that sentence or that recommendation on a rotating basis, we could say on a rotating multi-year basis. Would this then span out over several years rather than being understood as being every year? I understand the idea of the regional offices. Of course if we do get completely out of sync with the general assemblies, therefore a region misses out on the path of general assemblies that we looked at, which is a five-year path at the end – if one region was missing out of that, one could make use of the regional office to be able to have the general assembly taking place there. I think that was probably the reason why that was included in the recommendation so as to introduce flexibility as to where, and how, and when general assemblies could take place.

ALAN GREENBERG: I will be candid. My exhaustion level is such that [inaudible] think this through properly at the moment.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: And my phone is about to die.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Well, we have reached the top of the hour, ladies and gentlemen. It's gone very fast. I know that the interpreters might be able to stay a few more minutes, but it looks like a good break now that we have gone through all of the recommendations that were meant for the Finance & Budget Subcommittee, [stuck] as we are. We still have outreach and engagement, social media, Technology Taskforce, website revamp, etc. But some of them only have a couple of recommendations included. Some we've already touched on as we have now, since we have a lot of cross-pollination between the different subgroups.

I think that next week we can continue with another round. Then the week after is the week before the ICANN meeting. Then we'll meet face-to-face in Dublin. I believe that we have some time face-to-face in Dublin. We have a session for ourselves where we'll either take stock of what we have, especially bearing in mind that we will have had that discussion with the Global Stakeholder Engagement team and with other staff members. Maybe we will be able to fill those

recommendations that have been pending for Dublin meeting. That looks like the likely discussions that we'll have in Dublin.

But prior to that, I suggest that we continue with our list, hoping that it's not too boring for everyone here. I think it's been really good work today.

Are there any other comments, questions, any suggestions that I would very much welcome at this stage before we close this call?

Okay, so I haven't seen any hands up. Meeting next week. Are there any specific days that we should avoid?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I have very, very limited availability next week, but we will see.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this, Cheryl. We will try and find times for you that will neither be in the middle of the night, nor at a time when you're busy.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm just on airplanes between conferences. That means early mornings and late nights. Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Well, we'll see, hopefully. Let's try and do a Doodle for next week.

TERRI AGNEW: As a reminder, we already sent out a Doodle for calls next week.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So it's already out. Thank you for reminding me. I just see so many Doodles every day, you'd never keep track of these. Fine. So we'll have the call next week according to the results of the Doodle. I think it's going to be a bit of tough one because I'm also traveling next week as well, so it will be a little bit tight.

Until then, I thank you all for being on this call and for having contributed so well. We really are building this now. It looks better and better every day. Thanks to everyone. See you or speak to you next week or before. This call is now adjourned. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, everyone. Bye.

TERRI AGNEW: Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines, and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]