
UNKNOWN SPEAKER: If we can please get this meeting started Terri? Please go ahead.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you. We will now begin the recordings and roll call.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the At-Large Regional Secretariats Meeting, on Monday the 8th of June, 2015 at 17:00 UTC.

On the English channel we have Siranush Vardanyan, Garth Bruen, Barrack Otieno, Wolf Ludwig, Maureen Hilyard, Alan Greenberg, and Judith Hellerstein.

On the Spanish channel we have Humberto Carrasco and Alberto Soto.

We have apologies from Heidi Ullrich and Ali AlMeshal.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself Terri Agnew.

Our Spanish interpreter today is Sabrina.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes, but also for our Spanish interpreter. Thank you very much and back over to you Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco for the record. Thank you. We will now then start this conference call.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

SABRINA: The interpreter apologizes. Humberto Carrasco's audio seems to have disconnected.

TERRI AGNEW: One moment. We'll go ahead and get him reconnected and reconvened the meeting. One moment please.

One again, thank you for your patience, and we're reaching back out to Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. I would like to check my audio and whether I am on the English or Spanish channel.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Humberto, you are on the Spanish channel.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Okay, thank you very much. I apologize. My audio disconnected, so I'm back now. And as I was saying, we will start addressing the items on our agenda, that have to do with the organization of several meetings that we will be holding in Buenos Aires. Item one on the agenda includes the RALO chairs meeting to be held on Saturday the 20th of June.

And it will be co-chaired by LACRALO, and excuse me. The LACRALO and EURALO chairs will be leading this meeting. The same will be the same

in civil society engagement within ICANN, and we will be receiving Jean-Jacques [Subrenat], who is the GSE vice-president for Europe in ICANN.

If you click on the link to the agenda, you will see that this session is already arranged, organized. And we will see that we will have a brief introduction, a five minute introduction, and if we continue checking, and please Alberto feel free to correct me. After that introduction, we will hold a discussion of civil society engagement within ICANN. Then we will focus on the identification of regional civil society meetings.

And finally, the next steps. That would be the agenda for that meeting, which in the agenda for this call is item number one. So, I don't know if there are any questions or comments about this item one on our agenda.

The floor is open.

Humberto Carrasco speaking again. Okay. I see nobody raising their hand. If you can let me know if somebody is asking or requesting the floor, because I... Oh, excuse me. I think Judy is asking for the floor, so Judy go ahead please. You have the floor.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I really like this introduction for civil society, but I'm questioning, are we trying to engage more within the civil society within ICANN? So is that with the NPOC, and the NCUC, or is in general with civil society and the event that they're going on relating to [inaudible] and other stuff that are

dealing with Internet governance, but not necessarily within these two groups within ICANN?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. This is Silvia Vivanco. If I may, Humberto? I could answer part of this question.

May I speak?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto speaking. Yes, Silvia, go ahead. You have the floor.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Okay. Julie, thank you very much for your question. Yes. The intent of this meeting is to have Jean-Jacques, he's the vice president for [inaudible] engagement in Europe, and he is in charge of developing a civil society engagement plan. And this will be encompassing basically what you mentioned, the second item. So other civil society groups, not only within ICANN, but also outside of ICANN, including other regional forum. So that's the idea.

And he is, at the moment, trying to come up with ideas, and so it's a perfect moment to engage with him, and start the conversation, and brainstorm session. This is still being created, so this is a perfect time for the RALO to bring up ideas of what is required.

Another item that may be discussed is the civil society activities in each of the regions. And how the RALOS could participate in these regional activities more actively. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you Silvia for that input. I don't know if there are any questions? I see Alan Greenberg requesting the floor. So Alan, you have the floor. Alan Greenberg, go ahead please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. To give a personal view on what's going on to Judith's question. For the longest time, the only people in ICANN who claimed to represent civil society were NCSG, or NCUC in particular. And although At-Large certainly is part of civil society, since we don't fit in any other categories, we have not waived that flag a lot. And there has been some interest within senior management within ICANN, to ensure that all parts of civil society, all parts of ICANN that can be deemed to be civil society, are working more closely together.

And this is part of that effort to try to span the communities. I don't think it has a particular, you know, target or end point, but just to make sure that when we talk about civil society, and when there are opportunities for civil society participation, either within things in ICANN, or as part, representing ICANN outside of ICANN, than it be wider than the group that it has been to now.

So this is part of that effort to try to make contact and establish some level of understanding. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you very much Alan for that input. Once again, please Alberto, let me know if anyone is requesting the floor.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Wolf Ludwig is requesting the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto speaking. Wolf Ludwig, go ahead please. You have the floor.

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. Thanks a lot. It's Wolf Ludwig speaking for the record. Well, actually, I think this is a very good idea. I ask this several times over the parts, let's say two years, with Jean-Jacques, about how to improve civil society engagement on the European level.

And in the past, to my perception, nobody really cared about something like this except me. And meanwhile, I'm very pleased that from the official ICANN side, and from the official representation of people in charge responsible for Europe, there is an [inaudible] like this. And I think it could be very fruitful if we could do what we started already, sort of a [meeting]. What are the main civil society groupings, which are, over the years, involved in Internet governance related debates?

And so we started this debate informally already, a year ago. And now it's picked up again by Jean-Jacques [inaudible], and he would like to

push this further. I shortly discussed this last week with Jean-Jacques, then we met in Sofia during EuroDIG. And I think it's a good idea, and I think it may be a very productive meeting in Buenos Aries. Thanks.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Judith Hellerstein is requesting the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you. Judith, you have the floor. Go ahead please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I also would like to think, not the work with the civil society people, NCSG, but there is also a group within the NPOC group, the non-profit working on technology, that we should also work with. And I know I've been reaching out to them, because a lot of our same goals on [inaudible] and consumers, are really the same goals that NPOC has.

And I think we should also make sure that we include them in our discussion, and not just the usual suspects within NCOC.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Alberto, you have the floor.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you. I fully agree with the comments, with your comments, and I agree that civil society engagement includes plenty of [MUSIC]....

...we have to think about strategies to reach out to these groups, and it's necessary for us to do so. Let me give you an example from LACRALO. We have people in Cuba that want to engage, but they don't have enough bandwidth. We have an ALS in Haiti that joined us a short time ago, but Adobe is not present there, so they cannot have communication tools available to participate, to engage.

I am working with an institution that has Internet access, so that they can engage and participate. So, we do have to reach out to the civil society, but we will find, or face these challenges. And we have to face these challenges in advance.

In Haiti, or as regards to Haiti, somebody in ALAC, within ALAC, told me about an organization that might provide some kind of equipment free of charge, so that they can generate power, and that would be the first step for their participation in Haiti. So this is an example of a starting point. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you Alberto. I see that Judy's hand is up. I don't know if it's an old hand, or if she's asking for the floor again.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Judith has put her hand down now.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you. Well, so if there are no further comments on this point, we are going to move on to item number two on our agenda for this call. And this has to do with another meeting, a second meeting that is to be designed, according to what I'm reading on the agenda. This is item 1.2 on the agenda.

If you'll please bear with me. I am checking that Wiki space right now. My apologies. I have some connectivity issues. I am only on my cell phone, and I'm trying to locate this information. So, item 1.2 on our agenda is about Saturday the 20th of June, this is the RALO meeting with Alan Greenberg and all, and the agenda is to be designed.

I don't know if there are any comments on this? Oh excuse me, it seems that the agenda has been posted. And it includes the following items. First of all, we will focus on the RALO monthly report. We have to agree on the format. Then there will be a review of the capacity building survey. And a third item has to do with the discussions of the newsletter, NARALO newsletter, and to see whether that could be a model newsletter for the other RALOs.

And after that, we will address any other business. I don't know if there are any questions or comments? The floor is open now.

I see Alan Greenberg is asking for the floor. Alan, please go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. Just a comment that yes, we have set an agenda, however if there are things the chair want that is not on that agenda,

then feel free to make suggestions and we'll do our best to modify it, to meet your needs. This is a new experiment where the chairs have come again for the Friday afternoon and evening activities with ICANN management.

And because of that, everyone is there on Saturday, and we're trying to make the best, most productive use of that time. So if there are things that people want to see, discuss, talk about opportunities to raise that, you know, we have not added onto that agenda. Please, this is not cast in concrete, and we can have a lot of flexibility of altering it to make sure that it's the most productive use of the time. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you Alan, thank you very much. I don't know if there is any other comment, any further comment. I see nobody asking for the floor, no raised hands in the Adobe Connect room. So with that, we are going to move on to item 1.3, that is Wednesday the 24th of June. This is the RALO Secretariat meeting.

And please bear with me. I just wanted to double check this information in case I am mistaken. Let me check that please.

So, it's Wednesday, I'm just checking that. Yes, okay.

So, we have just focused on item 1.2, now we are focusing on item 1.3. Okay. My apologies. We were discussing, recently discussing, the RALO Secretariats meeting. And as Alan was saying, in connection to the prior item on the agenda for this call, that agenda is still open. So with that said, please let me know if there is any question regarding the agenda

for the RALO Secretariat meeting to be held on Wednesday the 24th of June.

I see nobody raising their hand. And I see there are no comments. So with that, we have to move on to the last item on this agenda, that is any other business, if I am not mistaken. And I have some a topic to be addressed, but of course, please feel free to ask for the floor if you have any other business to address at this point. Thank you.

Let me see.

Okay. Silvia Vivanco is asking for the floor. Silvia, go ahead please.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes Humberto. Thank you very much. I just wanted to mention that on the agenda, we have the ALSs on boarding plan. And this is a staff led initiative. We realized that there are many questions from newcomers, especially, on how very basic administrative things, such as email, or wiki, and working groups, and methodology in general.

So we would like to address those questions. So we are planning to have an on boarding program in the short-term, to make all of these newcomers aware of all of the details in participating, to improve their engagement within the At-Large community.

So what we are planning to do is first a series of on boarding webinars, where staff will introduce themselves and we will explain what our roles are. And we will answer any questions. It will be very informative, and then we will do another more formal meeting, where we would need

your input, the RALO's input, on what you think is important, that the newcomers should know.

We normally provide a lot of printed information, documents, that they can read out, but we would like to give them the chance to come online, and through a webinar ask questions, live questions to staff. So this is what we are planning to do, and we will try to do it several times per year, as we are having so many new ALSs coming to our community. Every few months, we have at least five or six new ALSs. So we realize that the community is growing, and they need this assistance from staff.

So that is what I wanted to mention. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you Silvia, thank you very much. And my apologies for skipping that item on the agenda. Any comments regarding Silvia's input? Alberto Soto is asking for the floor. Humberto Carrasco speaking. Go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you. Within ICANN, we have something related to ALS on boarding procedures. This is a good tool, and I think the need, there is a need to make it more interactive, and I think I heard that word, if I am not mistaken.

And I think we should focus on being more interactive, and we should provide clear examples of participation and engagement. We should tell ALSs when their opinion is requested, how they can voice their

opinions or views, but we should make it interactive, otherwise it's a little bit boring for them. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you Alberto for your comment. I have a comment myself regarding this topic. I believe that capacity building is a complex topic, and we should focus on another way in which to encourage participation, new ALS participation in all of the capacity building initiatives. May be we should issue some kind of certification, or certification, so as to guarantee ongoing participation in the capacity building initiative. Thank you.

And Humberto Carrasco speaking again. I don't know if there are any further comments or questions about this point we are addressing now? The floor is open.

I see nobody is raising their hands, so with that, I will move on to the last item on our agenda for this call, that is any other business. And I would like to address a point related to a question posed by Rinalia, asking if the RALO chairs could facilitate regional discussions in Buenos Aries in relation to the new CEO selection process. So perhaps we could use this conference call to focus on the next steps, and to receive input from the RALOs.

And with that, the floor is open.

I see people asking for the floor. Let me check. I see Alberto Soto and then Garth Bruen. Alberto, go ahead please.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you Humberto. I raised this topic within our RALO, and a suggestion was made so that we should address this topic during the meeting in Buenos Aires. I think we should at least focus on the next steps. There was a very good idea put forth already. That is to post all the input received so far in a Wiki space, first to see all the comments received there as well. That has been very productive so far, and comments received.

And so the meeting in Buenos Aires will be the starting point for this discussion already made. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you Alberto for your input, and yes, I am aware that the discussion is already ongoing in LACRALO. With that, I will give the floor to Garth Bruen. Go ahead, Garth please.

GARTH BRUEN: Hello this is Garth Bruen. I know that when there are Board positions open, there is a way to submit names as recommendations to the Nominating Committee. Is there such a mechanism available for this?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Well, I am not aware of that, so I am not the best person to reply to that question, but I open the floor so that other participants can reply. Alan, please, you have the floor. Go ahead please, Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. There will be a Board search committee formed, and I have no doubt that the Board search committee would be willing to take any input that it gets, whether it's on details of suggested requirements, or for that matter, names.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth Bruen again, just to follow-up and clarify. I think one of the best ways to get the regional participation is to have a simple and convenient uniform way for people to submit these ideas, or names.

ALAN GREENBERG: As I said, I'm sure there is going to be a formal process that will be opened. Not necessarily a formal comment period, but an opportunity to contribute things both at the meeting and going forward. But names certainly are not going to be rejected out of hand.

The details of the process, I can't speak to, but I'm sure that Rinalia can answer that kind of question when we meet with her on Sunday, or before for that matter.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you very much. So I open the floor, once again, for any comments on this topic, or on any other business.

Okay. I see nobody requesting the floor. So since we have addressed all of the items on the agenda for this conference call, I believe we can bring this call to a close, unless there is any other comment or any

further input. If not, I will thank you all for joining us on this. Oh, excuse me. Judith is asking for the floor. Go ahead Judith, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. One question I had, it goes back to the template that Glenn and I have worked on for the monthly meetings, and we were wondering whether anyone else had any more feedback on that report. We are trying after... One idea is that this report would then get, would then, the template would generate into a database, which we then hope to connect to a Confluence or Wiki.

And then that way people could input that into it already, and could help on the report. So we just wanted to make sure that we got all of the feedback from people.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you very much Judith. So the floor is open for any comments or input regarding Judith's prior points.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. My understanding is that this has been posted. So if you could please send us the link again to this material so that we can review again, that would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you Alberto. Judith or Silvia, if you have this information so that we can see the materials already posted or

published, that would be appreciated. Thank you. And I am reading the chat, and Judith is saying that she will take care of that.

She will be posting the template on the Wiki. As I read from the chat room. Well, if there are no further comments, questions, I will then bring this Secretariat meeting to a close.

Oh, I see the link that Judith has just posted. Thank you very much Judith. And I would like to thank you all for joining us on this call. And with that, this call is adjourned. Thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]