
GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you very much, Beran. We'll now get the recording started. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's At-Large Ad-Hoc New Meeting Strategy Working Party on Friday, the 11th of September at 16:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Beran Gillen, Harold Arcos, Maureen Hilyard, Sebastien Bachollet, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Sandra Hoferichter.

Apologies noted from Satish Babu and Alan Greenberg.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Nick Tomasso, Tanzanica King, Rodrigo De La Parra; and myself, Gisella Gruber.

If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, and over to you, Beran.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Gisella. Hello, everyone. Good afternoon and good evening to everyone, and good morning to some. The sole purpose of this meeting actually was just to basically get some feedback from Nick, because most of what we were supposed to meet on we met on last week Thursday. Let's not forget this group meets every other week, so this meeting is mainly to get most of our questions that we had for Nick answered, since we couldn't get them answered last week due to some technical difficulties.

So we'll move right on over to the action items. As far as I know there aren't any for the last meeting. The only action item on the list was to

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

set up this meeting. I think we'll just dive right into it and hand it over to Nick and he can give us a rundown of what happened in Istanbul last week, and then we can start shooting off our questions to him.

Nick, you have the floor.

NICK TOMASSO:

Thank you very much, Beran. I'm sorry the call last week didn't go quite as planned. We had many difficulties in Istanbul, but it's good that we're together now. I will briefly recap what I said last week, without repeating the location of the meeting. That needs to remain confidential until September 25th when the board approves it and our contracts are finalized.

For the outreach portion of meeting B, which I think is a major focus item for this group, we believe that the SOs, ACs, [SGCs], should identify the outreach candidates and then tailor their program to meet the requirement of including those people in the meeting.

I've read the briefing that Heidi sent earlier this week, and it seems that you have some very definitive plans as to what that looks like and I support them completely. It looks like a good program to me.

One thing that we also include in that is the fact that DPRD, led by Nora, will be working on fellows and Next Gen candidates to attend meeting B and they will also participate in the outreach program. We'll work with this team, the ALAC team, to see how we include them in some elements of your program as well.

Rodrigo has offered to assist with outreach as well, so I think we can count on Rodrigo for some local involvement within the region.

I had mentioned last week, with some pushback and perhaps rightfully so, that we would not do any outreach outside of the meeting facility. I did read the feedback. I digested that a bit. And I'm happy to say that if you have a viable outreach program that you'd like to see implemented where we actually have people leave the building and go out into the community that I would fully support that, and that we should begin to develop some of those ideas.

We are working very closely with the board to establish their schedule during the meeting B in June. The board has put together a small working group led by Chris Disspain, who as you know is very integral, along with Sebastien, in the creation of this new meeting strategy. There are a couple of elements there that we think will be retained in our proposals for them, and one is individual meetings with the SOs and ACs as well as some very unstructured attendance by board members in the SO/AC session that take place during the week.

I've been asked to brief the board on this at the board meeting somewhere around the 26th of September which I will do, and we would plan to get something back from the board with a more concrete schedule shortly after that.

One of the other elements that we can and should utilize based on input from Nora and Janice is ICANNLearn, which perhaps could be used to bring our outreach candidates up to speed on ICANN before they come to the meeting.

That's all I've got for this group on my side, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Nick. I believe I have Rodrigo's hand is up. Rodrigo, you have the floor.

RODRIGO DE LA PARRA:

Thank you very much. More than [inaudible], I just wanted to complement what Nick has said and continue to [inaudible] the GSE LAC regional team to help you with the outreach in this first type B meeting for ICANN. So this will be the first time that we're implementing new meeting strategy in this kind of venue. I'm so happy that we're coordinating very well the different AC and SO leaders, particularly this group, so we can help with the outreach efforts.

Just two things. I saw the plan and I like it very much to give the sub-regional component to this outreach. I would suggest to wait to be prudent until the board has formalized the venue. This would happen, as Nick mentioned, very soon. And now that it has the [public] information, then we can start publicly to reach out to [inaudible] stakeholders in such a venue. That's one thing.

The other thing is that same thing as we are working with you closely for engagement and outreach, we'll be doing the same with other ACs and SOs, so we should be careful to focus and target our outreach efforts [with] this group to those of ALAC constituency. So pretty much end users and to some point civil society.

I just wanted to make this point, and of course happy to help you and coordinate to make the most of this engagement and outreach for our next meeting. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you, Rodrigo. I believe Tijani had his hand up. Once he asks his question, I have some follow-up questions I want to ask. Tijani, please go ahead. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Beran. Thank you, Nick, for [inaudible] proposal is not to go [inaudible] for outreach.

BERAN GILLEN: Sorry, Tijani, I'm not getting you very clearly. I don't know if everyone else can hear you, but I can't hear you very well.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: [inaudible]. Do you hear me now, Beran?

GISELLA GRUBER: Tijani, we can't hear you. Nobody can hear you.

BERAN GILLEN: We can hear you. It's that the line's not clear as well. There's a bit of an echo and the line is not clear, so it's not very audible.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: If you want, [inaudible] call me back and [inaudible]. Okay?

BERAN GILLEN: Yes, we can have that, Tijani. Thank you. Okay, while we wait for Tijani to dial back in... There's a lot of background noise. Hello?

GISELLA GRUBER: Beran, I'm terribly sorry. We're having an audio issue with Tijani Ben Jemaa's line. There we go. Apologies for that. We are dialing out to Tijani again. Thank you, Beran.

BERAN GILLEN: Yes. I thought that was me. I guess it was everyone. While we wait for Tijani to dial back in and get his question answered, I'd just like to ask Nick a couple of questions. I don't know whether they would be addressed to Nick or Rodrigo regarding the fellowship. How would this work with the mentoring and the fellowship? Are you going to just [inaudible] fellowship alumni for meeting B, so people already know their way around and perhaps have already been to one ICANN meeting, since this meeting is so short, or is it going to be a normal [inaudible] with fresh faces coming in for this four-day meeting?

NICK TOMASSO: I'll take that one. I have spoken, along with Rodrigo, to Nora in great detail about this. She knows full well what the program is and knows

that she needs the most appropriate candidates both from fellows and Next Gen to participate in this meeting. I need to report back to her next week on this and share with her our thinking on it, your thinking on it, and have her consider who the Next Gen and fellowship participants should be. But as I said, she clearly realizes that this is unique. It's a first-ever meeting and the candidates have to be the most appropriate.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you, Nick, for that clarification. I wonder if we can probably move on. Do we have any more questions? We have Tijani online again. Tijani, please go ahead. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Hello, do you hear me?

BERAN GILLEN: Yes, Tijani. We can hear you clearly now. Please go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Do you hear me? Do you hear me?

BERAN GILLEN: We can hear you. Yes, we can hear you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. Thank you very much, Beran. And thank you, Nick, for coming. I heard you. You said your preference is not to go outside the

meeting venue for outreach. You will remember you attended all the Meeting Strategy Working Group, and the goal was to go to people from the country there on-site and to make them come to ICANN. So I don't see how we can do that without going to them.

My perspective is to go to universities, go to NGOs, to go to some professional organizations, etc., so that we make them join ICANN. This is one of the goals of the Meeting Strategy Working Group when we decided on meeting B. This is my first remark.

My second remark, didn't anyone speak about showcase? We need to have a showcase for this meeting, for the meeting B, because if we don't have showcase there, that means that the regions of Latin America and Caribbean and Africa will not have showcase at all since most of those two region meetings will be meeting B.

So one thing that meeting B we don't have to have a showcase. Showcase is necessary for each meeting. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Tijani, for that. I believe you have a few questions directed at the meeting team, but I just wanted to come in with regards to the showcase. I believe the showcase we'll still hold as far as I know, but let Nick, Rodrigo, or Heid step in and possibly give more clarification on the issue.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Just really quickly, Tijani, my understanding from both sub-group meetings that was held last Friday as well as the suggested model B,

version 2 that Vanda has put together and posted on the agenda that there will indeed be regional showcases. It will take place on Wednesday as normal, 18:00-20:00. So I will post the new meeting B schedule in the Adobe Connect and you can take a look at that. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Heidi. We were actually going to get to that. Tijani, that's actually the next agenda item on the update on sub-groups. One of the major updates is actually the new version of the schedule that the sub-group has put together. Nevertheless, I still have Nick and Rodrigo with their hands up. So Nick, you go ahead first and then Rodrigo.

NICK TOMASSO:

Thank you. Tijani, I understand your point about outreach outside of the meeting facility. In my opening remarks, I said that I had reconsidered my position on that with support outreach to the community. So I look to ALAC to propose where, when, and how and we will support it completely. I agree with your assessment of the Meeting Strategy Working Group work and intentions. Being the first meeting, we thought we might reduce some of the complexity. However, your points were well-taken. The points that this group made to me following that call were well-taken and I have changed my position on that.

The only thing I will say about it is that our past experiences with outreach outside of the building have been difficult to plan and to execute, so we're going to have to be very thoughtful as to how we do that, but you have my full support.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you, Nick, for that. Rodrigo, you have the floor. Please go ahead.

RODRIGO DE LA PARRA: Thank you very much. I couldn't agree more with Tijani's point. I think it's of the utmost importance to do some more active outreach and reaching out to these different places like NGOs to do the work. I only wanted to add to what Nick has just mentioned which is fantastic news that we might be able to do some activities outside during that week.

Actually, the outreach and engagement [inaudible] towards that meeting should be done ahead of time. So we're working within the GSE team to try to streamline, to make a streamlined process, for engagement and planning prior to the meeting.

So, of course, as Nick has mentioned, we can do some activities during that week. But then we can also do something at the margins of the meeting and planning before. We can do virtual activities such as webinars. We can do a lot of things.

Actually, if we work together, hand by hand with the community, I think we can make the most of this. Of course one full day of outreach with you and other leaders of the community, but also planning together beforehand. We have some experience. We made something before the ICANN meeting in Buenos Aires with different stakeholder groups. We do something with government. We do something with business. Now we're happy to do something with you guys. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you very much, Rodrigo, and I completely agree with you. I think what we need to do now, since we know that outreach outside of the meeting is a possibility, it's now up to us how we actually tackle that and how we come up with that. I think that's where the sub-group comes in. It's really critical in charting the way forward with regards to this.

Before I keep going on, I do have a few questions I want to ask. But before that, I see Maureen's hand is up and Tijani as well. Maureen, you go ahead, and then Tijaini.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Beran. Nick and Rodrigo, thank you very much for coming and clarifying a lot of these points for us. I know that when we first established this group, I was given charge of the think-tank team. We were specifically asked to look at ways in which we could include the outside community. And I know that at that time, too, we were thinking, oh my gosh, how are we going to do this? Because it's going to need a lot of work by people on the ground. It's good to know that you appreciate those sorts of issues, but at the same time, we've worked for some time now on looking at ways in which we can reach out into the community.

It is really good to think if you can support us in some of the things that Vanda has raised with us as being important, but as you mentioned, it's all dependent on the venue when it's consumed as to what is practical within the community. But also taking note of what you said, Rodrigo, in that... And I think we [did highlight] it. [inaudible] for the meeting itself

it's really important that we do some preparatory work and the LACRALO community may need to – or ICANN – to identify groups within the communities that can be linked to webinars and other ICANNLearn activities that can actually help people engage with ICANN before the meeting itself.

It's been excellent having you here to get those points clarified for us. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you for that, Maureen. I think our work for that generic outreach document will come in handy, which we will be presenting at the next meeting. Myself, Maureen, and Dev will be working on that.

Without further ado, I'll let Tijani take the floor, please. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Beran, and thank you, Nick, for your agreement to make outreach outside the venue. I agree with you 100% that any work outside the venue needs a preparation ahead of time. We will not come on-site and try to find where we will go. It is not the intention. The intention is to prepare very well our destination, our target people, and make a program for you, what we will do with them, what kind of outreach we will do. Shall we intervene in their [inaudible] university or shall they interact with us [inaudible]? We will prepare everything.

This is the way we may do an efficient outreach. Otherwise, it will not be outreach. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Tijani. I think I'll now move on to the next agenda item, because it's sort of related to what we're discussing right now, which is with regards to the sub-group meeting. Vanda should've been here to present this. While we were all at the meeting, Vanda, myself, Dev, and Heidi. I'll go ahead and present on her behalf. It's one in the same, I believe.

We did discuss... Sebastien was also at the meeting. [inaudible] Sebastien. It was myself, Sebastien, Vanda, Dev, and Heidi at the sub-group LAC meeting. We do encourage more LAC region representatives and people to join the sub-group, because the first meeting B would be in the LAC region.

The discussion was mainly about Nick's first presentation, which he managed to... Which he just discussed with us regarding keeping the meeting within the venue rather than outside the venue. So the first part of the meeting was mostly [inaudible] to get our heads around how we would be able to actually do any form of outreach without leaving the [inaudible] at all. We were toying with some ideas of possibly coming up with a plan that would actually include going out of the venue anyway, because again, this one meeting that in-reach would be encouraged. Or rather, outreach within the venue would be encouraged. I'm sure other meetings that will follow would open up the doors to outreach.

I'm glad that Nick has given this some thought and actually agreed to have outreach outside of the meeting venue rather than keeping it within.

There was also some discussion that was brought about with regards to who we actually want to target with regards to this outreach. Do we want to just stick to people in the city where we're working, or do we want to go outside the country of where we want to do the outreach, or do we want to go out into the whole region or do we want to just start with just the western part of the region? These were things that were brought on the table of how far we want to go with regards to the outreach programs that we're dealing with. That was something that was also put on the table.

We also discussed the welcome ceremony of some sort, since the suggestion was the first day would be outreach. There would be some sort of welcome ceremony give or take, so to speak. And what this would be would be ACs and SOs that would basically do a presentation for those people that we brought in from outside for this outreach/in-reach, but I think that model will be changing now since we now have the carte de blanche to actually go out and have this outreach.

If you just look at the structure on the screen, you will see that day one is mostly outreach. The first part is the general assembly with all the ACs and the SOs, and that is sort of like what we were talking about, the potential opening ceremony, so to speak.

Then the second part would be where the ACs and SOs sort of do a one-on-one outreach with the people that come in from outside.

With this new discussion with Nick, this would completely change I'm assuming because we would now be able to go outside. So would there be a general assembly? Would we still have that plenary with the ACs and SOs? That is something we have to decide and agree on and see the best way to [chart] forward.

I would like to suggest that we possibly maybe not necessarily have it for that block of four hours, but shorten it so it would give us enough time to do more outreach outside of the venue. Again, I would open this up for discussion and see what other people would think as well. But I would think that it would also help those coming in to have some sort of an intro with regards to what ICANN is and what we do, and then possibly then go out and do some outside activities.

So these were some of the things that were discussed with the sub-group. I did have to leave the meeting one hour into it, so I may have missed some things. I have read the transcript. But please, Sebastien, [inaudible] Dev as well, if there's anything I have missed, please chime in and let me know if there's anything. Or Heidi, of course. If there's anything I have missed regarding the meeting while I was away, please jump in and suggest, or rather pick up from where I left off. But basically, that was what sub-group discussion was about.

So the structure that we were suggesting was the first week would be outreach – the first day, excuse me, would be outreach outside. The second and third day would be inter-community work, and then the last day would be intra-community work.

The floor is open for any suggestions or questions that anyone would like to [inaudible] for the sub-group meeting. No questions?

GISELLA GRUBER: Rodrigo has his hand up.

BERAN GILLEN: Oh, right. I thought that was an old hand. Thank you, Gisella. Rodrigo, please go ahead. You have the floor.

RODRIGO DE LA PARRA: Thank you. It's a new hand. It's regarding how come we also support these activities with engagement and outreach and preparation activities with you? I just wanted to mention that we can also do our media contacts or we can make something with radio and television. We've got a list now almost in all the countries in this region and we can do some joint activity to try to make the promotion of all of these.

Of course, depending on the venue, we are also able to provide a list of contacts, right? So probably universities, as you mentioned, it could be a good start. But depending on the country, there can also be good ideas to reach out to regional organizations, NGOs, etc.

So just wanted to put this on the table and also offer this support from staff.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Rodrigo. Yes, the radio and newspapers were actually discussed during the [course] of the meeting. I believe Dev brought that up. But yes, TV is also a good way to go.

I think another thing that I just forgot to mention during the sub-group meeting with regards to the At-Large Structures. We did highlight the fact that we would really need to look into the region and see how many ALSes we have in that region and possibly how to get them on board. We believe that the challenge that we've been having with regards to getting ALSes active, possibly the new strategy of this meeting B would help in activating those ALSes and getting them more engaged with regards to ICANN.

I see Maureen's hand is up. Maureen, please go ahead. Rodrigo, I see your hand is still up. Is this an old hand or a new hand? Okay, I believe it's an old hand. Maureen, please go ahead. You have the floor.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Beran. Just to highlight, too, Rodrigo. The think-tank has actually been in operation for a little while and that has included just a small group of us, but we've put together a whole lot of ideas of things that we might do.

First of all, we actually recognized that there was a lot of local coordination that needed to be done prior to the actual meeting, taking into account a lot of the issues like language and logistics, especially media coverage. It was something that we thought was really, really important and a good way of getting information out to highlight the meeting was coming up. I'm sure ICANN can put something together,

but media for radio and television, like infomercials where information about ICANN can actually be delivered and just notifying people that the meeting was to take place.

I suppose we don't want the whole of South America to be rushing into the meeting, but at the same time, within the local community, it would be a way of just highlighting that the event is going to happen and a little bit about what ICANN does.

We have considered... The group has actually considered those sorts of activities and I'm sure that we can actually work together on getting something – with Vanda's team I mean, because I'm a little bit out of it out here in the Pacific.

I think things that we have considered and things that I think ICANN can work on as well. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Maureen. You actually [inaudible] agenda item #5 and we haven't reached there yet. Yes, Maureen and think-tank have come up with wonderful ideas which, I believe, would probably be the better of our generic outreach strategies. Wonderful ideas with regards to how we can prepare the [inaudible] before we arrive for the meeting, as well as to follow up on those preparations once we hit the ground. You will be getting an update on that I'm sure in our next meeting, which is in a couple of weeks. We will sort of try to take the ideas that were brought in with the think-tank and put them on paper and see how best to put it into a [inaudible] where, regardless of the location of the meeting B, the

strategies would be used on the ground to be able to get more people involved from our side into the meetings.

Now back to something that just came up during the sub-group discussions regarding how far we want to take the outreach. Do we want to just stay in the city where the meeting is being held? If our ALSes, for example, are not necessarily within the city or outside the city, do we want to bring them in for this meeting for these two or three days – or four days, rather – of meetings? Do we want to go even further and possibly get ALSes within that region into the meeting? These are some of the things we need to look at and I believe we need to move also a bit quickly in a way, so that we're able to put some structure in place and be able to find out financially what is required to get all these different body parts moving together towards the same goal.

It's a lot of work. I'm glad to see that Nick is on board. We have Rodrigo who is fully on board and ready to help. I can see Tanzanica's here, so Nick brought the whole team. Heidi has also been working tirelessly on this meeting. So I'm sure with the ideas that we have, it'll be easy to put everything together, prepare the [inaudible], and have a fantastic first meeting B.

It would've been great for Vanda to be here. We had a really good sub-group meeting. But unfortunately she couldn't join us today. I don't know if Maureen you have anything with regards to updates for agenda item #5, seeing you've already given us some kind of update. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Beran. Actually, no, and I thought it was relevant to bring it up when we were actually discussing the particular point. I think that once we actually know the venue then we can actually be more specific about what we might do based on what we've got, what we have listed already, but also each venue will offer other opportunities that we may not have considered because we're unaware of the actual venue.

I just wanted to say there's actually no update as such on the think-tank list items, but quite possibly once we actually move into another meeting with a little bit more information. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Maureen. I guess basically this meeting now... The next meeting would be basically getting an update from the sub-group with regards to how we want to package this outreach program, who we want to target, how far we want to go, and basically the end product of [inaudible]. What do we want to achieve? At the end of this outreach, what is our goal?

I think these three critical questions would basically give us a strategy document we'll be able to work with. Vanda and the team, we will depend on you greatly with regards to coming up with some form of write-up or documentation to help move us in the right direction.

I believe our next meeting should be in a couple of weeks. It should've been next week, but given that we've already had this meeting and we've got the updates from Nick, I believe the next meeting will be held in a couple of weeks. That's the 24th of September.

We'll still maintain the time we had initially, which is the 15:00 UTC. I believe the reason that was changed to 15:30 was due to the meeting happening in Istanbul happening concurrently with ours, so we were moving it back half-an-hour to be able to get Nick and the team on board.

So next meeting would be Thursday, the 24th of September at 15:00 UTC. I'm sure the team would be sending out reminders when the date is nearer.

But without further ado, we are 15 minutes early. If there aren't any more interventions, I would just give everyone a minute, if you have anything else you want to add to the meeting, any more interventions. Anyone? Staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Beran, I'm just wondering what the next steps with the meeting B schedule. Do you wish to have, as this group, move it up to the ALAC for review and then we can finalize that?

BERAN GILLEN: I'm sorry, I missed that, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So in terms of meeting B, of the meeting B schedule, for the next steps, does this group now move up to the ALAC for consideration so we can finalize this?

BERAN GILLEN:

In my opinion, I think it's [inaudible], but I don't know what anyone else thinks because this is just a draft. I would think maybe give the sub-group another go at this structure before we actually move it up to the next level. But that's just my thought.

I see Sebastien's hand up. I'll let him also... See what he has to say about this. Sebastien, you have the floor.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you, Beran. I have a question to Nick. Is it clear now that the B meeting is split in three parts? The first one is the first day with outreach. The two days after are for internal work of the SO and ACs, and the last one is for [inaudible]. We didn't get to the idea of having the morning and part of the afternoon on internal work and the late afternoon on the intra-community work. Just to be sure how we will handle that.

If everybody wants to meet one-to-one in the last day, it will may be a little bit odd.

NICK TOMASSO:

Sebastien, I'm going to ask Tanzania to answer that question because she is closer to the current construct of the schedule than I at the moment. Tanzania, how does the inter- and intra-community engagement work out currently?

Either she's on mute or has dropped off the call somehow. Give me a moment and I will answer the question.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Nick, just [text] the question. I don't need the answer straight on. I think it's a broad question and maybe it's good if you have some talk with your team and discuss where we are going, because [inaudible] the board interaction will be important, but also AC/SO and some working group will be important [to have them]. It must [inaudible] to Tanzania to schedule all that. But just take that as a question and come back to us later. I don't need an answer straight on, Nick.

NICK TOMASSO: Very good, Sebastien. It's important to note, of course, that all of the SOs and ACs are working on their agendas for meeting B as well. So at some point in time I would think we would need to all coalesce around strategy for inter-community work and intra- community work. But it is certainly on our list for things to incorporate into the meeting as the MSWG designed it. So we'll come back to you as quickly as possible – to this group as quickly as possible – with current thinking from the input that we have from other SOs, ACs, and the board. So look to us for a piece of work on that and a comeback.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you, Nick. I believe Tanzania is having some mic issues, but she has sent some stuff on the chat. In regards to Tuesday and Wednesday are focused on intra and Thursday is focused on inter. Of course, as Nick

just said, we're working with all groups to see what meetings they need to have and adjust as necessary. So I believe that answers your question, Sebastien.

But I do have a follow-up question. So does that mean this day one outreach, this [inaudible], is it something that... Is it a slot that would be blocked off for all ACs and SOs to be part of or is this day still sort of [inaudible] more that we're able to move things around as we wish as At-Large? This is for Nick.

NICK TOMASSO:

Thank you. Our current thinking on the Monday [inaudible] is that we would have a brief session in a main meeting room with a welcome for all delegates, and then we would run a couple of hours in the man room with remarks perhaps from the SO/AC leaders, perhaps from Steve Crocker, perhaps from a regional Internet expert and other board members.

As we look out at the GNSO schedule, which is the... Tanzania, if you would type which other schedule we have. Is it RSSAC or SSAC? GNSO is then proposing what they're calling open houses. Sessions specifically designed for our outreach delegates beginning at about 11:15.

So again, we're going to get a lot of this, but I do see a morning program that perhaps wraps up at 11:00 or so, and that all the SO/AC leaders and others participate in. But again, work in progress.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Nick. I was just about to say that: work in progress. That brings me to what Heidi brought up before I gave Nick the floor with regards to passing this final meeting, the sub-group meeting B version 2, I would call it, up to ALAC. I believe it's still a bit premature to actually move it up to the ALAC as yet. It's still a work in progress, if I could just steal Nick's word.

When this was put together in the sub-group meeting last week, we were of the understanding that outreach would remain within the venue. This has changed now, so this would mean that the schedule, when the sub-group meeting does take place – the next sub-group meeting takes place – the schedule will change drastically. That's why I believe it's still a bit premature to move it up for a review to the ALAC.

I know we are on a time crunch with regards to submitting all the plans for our meeting before Dublin, and what I would like to suggest is for the sub-group meeting to have a follow-up meeting as soon as possible to decide the structure of the meeting and possibly have something to present to this group by the next meeting on the 24th.

Now, from that meeting, we would review the structure of meeting B, agree on the setup and then move it up to the ALAC for final review. That's the suggested path I would like to take. If you want to do the review right now, it would be a bit premature. I believe a lot would change based on what Nick has told us today.

So the sub-group meeting should be held as soon as possible, early next week most likely if we could have it that way, and then be able to share that information with the rest of the working party over the mailing list

on the wiki and then have a follow-up meeting with the working party on the 24th.

So we have some action items there. I see staff already jotting them down. Once we meet on the 24th of September, we'll have a final review of the meeting B, agree on it, and then move it up to the ALAC for a final review to be submitted with meeting A and C.

We will still review meeting A and C, but I believe more work should be done on meeting B because it's a change that's completely different from what normally have at the meeting, while [inaudible] meeting A and C – [inaudible] normal ICANN meeting that we have and C is the normal ICANN meeting we have at the end of the year, the ATM. So there isn't much change there, in my opinion.

So I would work with staff to send [those] out for the next sub-group meeting, follow-up meeting, and then we take it from there. If there's anything anyone wants to add or any suggestions they would want to put across with regards to this approach, please, the floor is open. I see Sebastien's hand is up. Sebastien, you have the floor.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, thank you, Beran. I just want to question you not to say too much that it's [inaudible] usual. Even the A and the C meeting will have a lot of changes. Maybe not too much in the A meeting for the schedule of At-Large meetings, except that there is no Friday and there will not be any more Friday for At-Large. It's a change.

The C meeting will be [inaudible] Friday to allow to see the new ALAC and any new bodies, like the GNSO Council and so forth, [inaudible] some work with the new team.

But there are big changes. For example, the fact that we will have two open mic meetings or general assembly meeting, whatever will be the name in the future. It will be a big change and evolution. I just [take one or two].

I understand where you are coming from and why you say that, but just don't tell the Meeting Strategy Working Group that [inaudible] output [inaudible] B meeting. It's a little more than that. But I understand that we concentrate on the B meeting because it's more newest idea coming to organize the meeting and it will be in places where we were not able to go before. It's why it's so important that we do it right for us, but also for the outside. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you, Sebastien. Thank you for that reminder. I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from with regards to I'm looking at the [inaudible] changes and meeting B sort of holds a flag with regards to the changes that would be made. But yes, you are right. Meeting A and C would still be a bit different. I believe meeting A was discussed initially during our first meeting about the New Meeting Strategy Working Group when Alan brought up a question regarding the ALT meetings which are usually held on Fridays. That is one change that would be introduced, and thank you for highlighting that.

So the review will be for all meeting formats. When we meet on the 24th, it will be a very short agenda item, but a lot of discussion. It would be just to review the structures of the meeting and how we came up with those meetings. It will be the sub-group presenting these meetings structures. So it will be mostly on discussion of meeting A, meeting B, and meeting C. we agree on a format and then we move it up to ALAC.

The sooner we can have the—

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: No more sound?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, did Beran drop?

GISELLA GRUBER: Beran, we've lost you. I'm just double-checking with Adigo. Please hold. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: She was ending the meeting, I guess. Maybe we can decide that this meeting is finished and we will continue the discussions the 24th of September. I will not be able to participate because I will be maybe on the plane, but I'm sure you will do a great job for the next phase of this work. And thank you, Nick, for coming to this meeting and Tanzania and Rodrigo of course. We are looking forward to [inaudible] with you

all the change and all the good things we will take to the ICANN meetings in the near future.

GISELLA GRUBER: Beran has just joined again. Apologies.

BERAN GILLEN: Sorry, I dropped. I was trying to comment on AC, but I was muted. Yes, basically I was just giving a wrap-up of what we plan to do in the next couple of weeks. [inaudible] sub-group meeting and then [charge away] forward and possibly have the meeting on the 24th. Then take it from there with regards to reviewing the rest of the meeting structures.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I just changed the action items a little bit to include A, B, and C. So if you could just review that, if that's correct. Basically, the end goal is that this group will discuss A, B, and C on the 24th and then move it up to the ALAC in Dublin. Is that correct?

BERAN GILLEN: Yes, Heidi, that's correct. I've just been notified that there might be a clash with CCWG meeting in Los Angeles with the board on the 24th. I don't know if we can move it forward. I was [inaudible] how best to get a date there, a date that we can actually have most people on board with regards to this review. I believe it's very important. We'll see how best to work around that date to get everyone on board. I already have two or three apologies already with regards to the 24th.

I see Heidi's hand is up. Heidi, we are running three minutes overboard. I do note that we started a bit late, but make it short, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just very quickly. One suggestion is to hold it on Monday, the 21st, which would be right prior to the ALAC meeting on the 22nd. So then the ALAC could perhaps actually have an initial look at the meetings A, B, and C. Just a thought.

BERAN GILLEN: Yes, thank you, Heidi. I'm just being notified by Gisella that Wednesday is Yom Kippur for our Jewish friends and I wouldn't want to hold any meetings during that time. We could work with the Monday. We could send a Doodle out on the Monday and see how that goes. We would need as many people on board to review this as possible, so the more the better we have. We would need as much feedback from people as possible. So we could send a Doodle out for Monday, the 21st, and see how that works.

Heidi, your hand is still up. Is that a new hand? I guess not. It's an old hand.

I'd like to take this time to thank Nick and Rodrigo and Tanzanica, Nick and his team, for joining us and for answering our questions. If there's no more interventions, I'd like to declare this meeting closed. Thank you, everyone, for joining us and we shall see you on the 21st.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]