
TERRI AGNEW: Welcome to the At-Large Captioning Pilot to create criteria call taking place on Wednesday, the 19th of August 2015 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Mark Urban, Beran Gillen, Siranush Vardanyan, Judith Hellerstein, Seun Ojedji, and Glenn McKnight.

I show apologies from Gunela Astbrink.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco who will be joining us in a little bit; and myself, Terri Agnew. I would like to remind all participants to please state your names before peaking.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi as well, from staff.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you, Heidi. And Heidi has joined us as well. Please remember to state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, and back over to you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alright, thanks so much for coming on this call. Maybe Heidi could give us the answers that we were looking at from Silvia. This call is basically to discuss the [inaudible] trying to figure out what criteria we're going to use for creating the real-time captioning pilot, which is going to start in October.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

I had a discussion with Gunela yesterday because she couldn't make the call and she gave me her ideas. I also wanted to go – maybe Heidi can also tell us, give us an update from staff on the contract and on the implementation and whether we're going to start in October and maybe a little update on that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Just very briefly, yes. Obviously, the project will be implemented starting in October. What we are doing internally right now is just confirming the details in terms of the contract. That is going to start moving ahead now. We can confirm the absolute numbers per month and then the total for the three-month trial period hopefully very, very shortly. We'll get back to you on that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. Thank you so much, Heidi. So for those who I think – only [inaudible] [Mark] was not really that familiar with this, but we're doing – I put in a special budget request for funding for a pilot program. We were hoping to have a six-month pilot, but right now we're three months, and hopefully we'll be extended for longer than three months.

We're looking trying to increase the – we had three goals in here. One is to meet the accessibility needs of people who are either hearing impaired, visually appeared, or [inaudible] who cannot engage as well in ICANN issues in our working groups.

Two, also for those with very limited bandwidth who also can't engage who a single separate text stream would enable them to engage better.

As we know, bandwidths are very limited in some parts of the US, of Native Americans, in Asia-Pacific, and in Africa. We want to increase the engagement of those and get them more active in some of our working groups.

And the third was increasing engagement. A lot of the working groups are held in English and they don't necessarily have translation, and to increase the engagement. A lot of the working groups are held in English and they don't necessarily have translation, and to increase the engagement of those where English is not their native language.

Being that those are the three goals, we're looking at some criteria needs and figuring out, since in this pilot we can only choose three working groups or webinars or RALO meetings a month for this trial, so we have to figure out criteria on how do we choose these trials. How do we choose these sessions? Also, then, later on, how do we get the word out?

From discussions I had with Gunela last night, some of the ideas that we discussed were, one is –in trying to rank in priority order is are there people accessibility needs participating in these calls, and how do we make sure we give them priority?

Two, are there certain meetings that are being held during these three months that will be discussions about accessible tools?

In the Technology Taskforce, we discuss different technology and making sure that it works for people who need accessibility tools whether that it will work on mobile for people who listen in or need captioning or have screen readers. Some of those ideas of, well, maybe

if a working group is going to be discussing some of these issues, they also should get priority.

Then, Gunela also mentioned about webinars that would be of general interest to the ICANN community to get non-native English speakers more involved in ICANN.

The last criteria she mentioned with are there people with low bandwidth who are not participating, and will this get them to participate more?

She brought up these different criteria and I wanted to draw it open to the list and see what others had and whether we could figure out how to prioritize these or how to enhance others. That's what I would be inclined to find out from others.

One of the things we thought about, trying to create a wiki so that after we set up some criteria and we publicize it out to different groups, to the RALOs, that they can put out their working groups on those lists. So they all have to get sent to one person that [will] create a small team of like three people to be checking this and to find out who has asked for captioning and do these meet the criteria we set up?

Then I want to open that up to questions from people and get it started.

MARK URBAN:

Two quick thoughts on that. It sounds like we have two goals that may be challenging to do within the scope of what we're talking about. One is to allow persons with disabilities, low bandwidth and other special needs to participate in current ICANN activities, and the other is an

engagement strategy to try and get a larger participation in those activities.

I almost wonder if we have to make kind of a determination about which fish we're going to after, because I don't know if we have enough hooks to really accomplish both well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Mark. Well, we put those three things – it was a very long drawn-out process in trying to seek approval from everyone At-Large. So we put those three things in there because the idea, what we're looking at and trying to get funding is some of the main goals of ICANN is to [inaudible], but also to increase engagement.

And how will people within ICANN, what will get them to engage more? Is it because they don't have special needs and they need those to get involved or is it something else?

While I think we may want to prioritize certain things, I just want to figure out maybe we could change off, like we have three [inaudible] which is not much, and we could reserve for – two for special needs and then maybe the third one we could leave for people, increase engagement for people English is not their native language. That is one idea. I don't know what others think about that.

Seun, you asked [inaudible] only for three activities. It's three working groups a month for three months is the pilot. Maybe Heidi or Silvia can explain how we originally thought it was going to be six months and now it got dropped down to three. Or maybe it's a three-month

evaluation and after that we'll continue for another three months. Maybe Heidi or Silvia can explain about that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Again, the proposal was for a pilot, I believe. That's what the response was. It was only in order to allow an evaluation after that three-month period. I'm fully assuming that it will continue. It's an excellent project. But again, we need to see how it might need to be tweaked.

Just on another point, Judith, I hear you say working groups, but I'm not sure that the proposal is limited to working groups. I thought it was, perhaps, an ALAC call or other calls as well. So if you wanted to comment on that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

The idea was working groups, taskforces, ALAC calls, RALO calls, webinars. It was everything. It was all working groups... The Accessibility is a working group, where Technical Taskforce is a taskforce. So I was just trying to use the [inaudible] of what we usually do. We would like to do an ALAC call, too, although ALAC calls are two hours and I don't know whether that would take up two slots or whether there was money for a two-hour call.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

That's a good point. We have to look into that. I do recall that there was some discussion internally about length of calls, so yes, [inaudible] to clarify internally. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. That's my only thing about if it's only three hours, then an ALAC call will take up two slots and that might be hard to do during a pilot. That's why I was thinking about...

And then the RALO calls, we would like to do a RALO and we're thinking that – we didn't get any representation from this group from the LAC region, so possibly is that it's only going to be English language and the LAC is a lot in Spanish. Maybe that's why we got no takers. We're thinking [AFRALO] which has the bandwidth issues and APRALO has bandwidth issues and that's something I was thinking about.

[inaudible] At-Large activity may be better, although we can start with something small. Yeah. So the idea is I think we start with something small and then we go after something larger. Siranush says larger calls or webinars will be the best. RALO calls may not be useful at this stage, but later could be expanded. Right.

I do think an ALAC call will be great. I think, if Heidi you could find out for us whether the money in there, whether that will take up two slots or whether it be one slot and then extra money will need to be put in. Then you can get back to us on that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, yes, I can go ahead and do that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, I think that would be... We would like to have an ALAC call, but it's hard if that would take up two slots. That I think is one of the things. I'm just reading through the chat quickly.

Siranush would like to have one of them be a webinar, which will take place during the piloting period and trial that. I think that is also something that would be useful, too, but I think in this call, I'm trying to figure out whether we can agree on some kind of criteria that would work on this.

For the accessibility, right now the people who have been showing up on the working groups – and maybe Heidi might have more statistics, or Silvia might have more statistics on this, I think Ken Hansen. And Ken has been very active in the Technology Taskforce and in the Accessibility Working Group. I don't know, are there others who are active who have accessibility needs? Maybe Heidi knows that. I know, Mark, we want to get you more active and want some of your members to get more active in the calls.

Is this something that would help you out or something like that? And how do we help redesign some of the criteria?

KEN HANSEN:

Well, I don't think you redesign the criteria. I think, as Glenn was pointing out, and I think it's important, if we make accessibility part of a larger community outreach effort and a larger inclusion [inaudible] and we also provide a lot more value.

We have members of – this is only a special needs chapter over in ISOC that would be very interested in participating in some of these things, they often have multiple issues. Both the multi-lingual issues as well as hearing impairment. We have people with mobility and visual impairment.

I think as a pilot, general overviews that get people engaged are going to be much more valuable than providing the little granular meetings that come about once you're engaged and you figure out what part you're interested in.

I think, just to [pile] on what Glenn was saying in the chat, I really think it's important that we have an approach that canvasses people that [I can] push people in the ISOC Disability and Special Needs Chapter, but also within the community at large and say, "Hey, here's an opportunity to find out more and to decide where this might fit for you."

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, thanks so much. Seun, I see your hand up. Suen, can you hear me?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, thank you. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can hear you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Can you hear me? Hello?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we can hear you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Oh, good. Okay. I think perhaps maybe – I'm thinking when do we put... Since we have three slots for the pilot, maybe we could have two webinars and one ALAC, because I'm actually thinking ALAC may not be really, really that full because ALAC members are actually – I expect that they are all communicating and [inaudible].

And a number of ALSes that actually participate in ALAC meetings have not had much, even though they are open – the [inaudible] meeting is open for ALSes that want to listen in.

So I think a webinar which is actually in line with what Siranush was saying, it's a webinar that would allow people to join from different ALSes.

Then I'm thinking of a webinar. I'm thinking maybe if we're going to be doing one of these capacity building webinars or even something [inaudible] transition, we could actually take one of those and see how we can use that as a pilot. Because, really, feedback is very important. If we don't get the ALSes [inaudible] developing regions in Africa [inaudible] be able to get the feedback because they are the ones that will provide us feedback on whether this was useful to them or not.

I think we need to find a way of [inaudible] get feedback for this. Maybe [a Friday] webinar [inaudible] such you actually see what's useful [inaudible]. Even before the webinars, there will also be a meeting [inaudible] should be aware that the webinar is a different one. It will include this option of captioning and this option of bandwidth [conservation], so that people will be aware.

It shouldn't be that, "oh, I know I won't have bandwidth, so I won't be joining." [inaudible] going to be better [inaudible] the webinar.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you, Seun. Heidi or Silvia are there any webinars coming up in the three months – October, November, December – that might fit that goal. I'm not really familiar with them.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Right now the only one is next week, so as we develop them, then we'll announce them. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay, so we can't really plan right now figuring out what they are because they're not really developed yet for the next three months, but we can keep that idea on the criteria as a priority should we find some that come out. That way, we could – and I know Glenn is on the Capacity Building team and probably others as well is on Capacity Building workshops. Then they could apprise us of what's coming up, so that way we could sort of plan for that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Judith, on the webinars with capacity building, we're still asking for feedback on suggestions. So we do not have a schedule yet, but I could follow with Tijani and see if he's got some coming up for August or September. Right now I don't know if there's any. Maybe Heidi knows, but personally, I don't know.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: The program is not starting until October, so we're looking at one starting October, November, December [inaudible] ICANN meeting. We're maybe looking at November – mostly active on November and December, a little bit in October from the ICANN meeting. Are we getting anything captioned in the ICANN meeting, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, I believe it's going to be the same as it was in Buenos Aires. That's [inaudible]. I can Josh to inform of the detail of what will be captioned during Dublin.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, because then that can help us figure out whether we should start – what programs we should have then. And then that way we could help pick some of the projects to caption in Dublin. Heidi, should we start – we're trying to start in October. Is that not necessarily a good idea? Should we start in November because of the meeting, of the ICANN meeting? Or is that a good idea to start to get more people engaged?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's up to the group. I do know that [inaudible] capacity building webinars for the second part of 2015 have not started yet and won't start until at least September. Tijani plans to hold up to two per month through the end of the year. That does give an opportunity to hold one with captioning. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, thanks. In answer to Mark's question, generally ICANN – many of the main [inaudible] at ICANN are already captioned. Heidi is going to get back to us by checking with Josh and telling us what exactly is captioned there, so we won't be double doing. That's why we would find out from there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Judith, can I interrupt for a second?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. It's very important from a statistical point of view. We have as many people evaluating and we do a survey afterwards. The last thing we want is only a few people on a webinar and then give very little end user feedback. I just want to jump in. I'll be happy to help you do the survey. It's on Survey Gizmo or something. But I just want to make sure

if we're selecting only three examples, that there is big audience as possible.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Right, exactly. Yes. That is an excellent thing. We'll put you down for the survey. That is always the problem with webinars is that they don't have that many – sometimes they don't have that many people signing on that time, but it also could be, as Siranush mentioned, they're not signing on because they feel that they can't get access to it, so they're waiting for the transcript or waiting for something else.

Also, Gunela mentioned that she's working with Laura Bengford on web accessibility and she thinks that in the future the webinars, like all technology material – videos – will be captioned anyway under the web accessibility program. That will be done down the line she thinks. We may not want to do a whole bunch now and maybe just do one or two or something like that.

Silvia says webinars has 15-20 people.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

If I may, just a comment regarding the webinars. As you know, LACRALO and APRALO have [inaudible] webinars and they are usually about [50]. Sometimes we have 25. I think the last one was very well attended in APRALO.

What is interesting about these ones is that these have a section that is interactive whereby [inaudible] ask questions after the presentation and people are required to ask to respond, raising their hand. It is very

interactive [inaudible] Q&A with interactive features in the AC room. So it would be interesting to see how this works with captioning, and perhaps a suggestion – and Siranush agrees – to have one of the APRALO webinars, maybe the one in November. Or I think we'll have one per month. So we could do one in October or one in November or even one in December with this captioning feature. Thank you. Just a suggestion.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you, Silvia. Does anyone else have any other comments? I know Beran is on the phone and I just want to make sure she has a chance if she wants to have any comments, too. Okay, Alfredo, do you have any comments to make? I know you joined a little late, but we're looking at the criteria and figuring out how do we choose the three sessions, a time, and what criteria should we develop looking at – are we only looking at people who have special needs who have a request or limited bandwidth, or are we looking at ones where English is not the native language?

I just wanted to make sure I hear from everyone what their concerns are and how we should go forward. Okay, so no one has any other further questions.

Do we want to – do people like the criteria that Gunela was thinking about of looking at other people with disabilities participating [inaudible] captioned as being one of the criteria, and a second one would be... Or maybe tied to that, meetings, discussions – meetings where accessible tools are being discussed? Maybe we should start

creating that criteria right now. Does anyone have any objections? Or maybe someone else has different suggestions. Glenn, was that you?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it sounds good.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: That sounds good?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. That could be one of the criteria, and then the other criteria could be what Alfredo was talking about, non-native English speakers, making that a criteria – a webinar of general interest to the ICANN community that we could get captioned so it would be easier for non-native English speakers to get involved. Alfredo, is that what you were pointing to? I know webinars are what Siranush and [Silvia] were talking about. Is that correct?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Judith, were you asking me that question?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn or Seun, [inaudible] webinars. So we have another criteria. Are there webinars of general interest to ICANN that could be captioned to

enable non-native English speakers to get more engaged? Alfredo said he doesn't have a mic. Alfredo, if you want to speak, Terri can call you on the phone and you could speak that way. Seun, you say that makes sense to you about the webinars. Seun, is that what you were saying?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm strictly by cell phone, so was there a comment in the Adobe that Seun has [inaudible]?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Seun writes about the webinars, yes. Seun was thinking that we should have the other criteria being that—

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Seun. Go on, Seun.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I cannot hear anything.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Seun?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah. The webinars – hello, can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, I will type it. Hello?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we can hear you. We can hear you. I guess what he was trying to say is that the webinars—

SEUN OJEDEJI: I was saying that, yeah, the webinar [inaudible]. Yeah. I think one of the critical aspects of the captioning will actually help the non-native English speakers [inaudible] one that will actually gets a lot of conversation, a lot of [inaudible]. It will be good [inaudible].

I'm really, really not sure about how much [inaudible] we will get from the visual, I mean the visible, [inaudible] accessibility. But I think we'll get enough participation from the language side of it. So I think we can do both, yes. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. So it seems like we do have an agreement that we'll have two sets of criteria. One is, is there a request by someone who has a special need, whether it's a limited bandwidth, whether it's accessibility needs,

for one of the specific working group, a specific RALO meeting, a specific webinar, specific whatever meeting to be captioned. Then we will also look to have a webinar that will be captioned that will be of general interest either in the APRALO or AFRALO region or LACRALO region that we could have captioned for non-native English speakers.

So we have two criteria. Then, Silvia, you were talking about a survey and Glenn was talking about a survey. Maybe you can help with that because Glenn is not seeing any of your chats because he's only on phone.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

The survey mentioned [inaudible] the survey does [inaudible] capacity building [inaudible] evaluation survey. And it's interactive. So that could also be part of this captioning. Inside the webinar at the end, we ask all the people at the webinar to respond, speaking on the AC room. Yes or no if you liked the webinar, evaluation survey. So that's one more interactive feature of this Capacity Working Group, [inaudible] webinar.

I think Glenn is speaking about a different kind of survey.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Glenn, did you have a different idea for a survey? Maybe you could talk about that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

When I suggest that the survey for the three sessions will do, it was only questions about the tool. There was particularly ease of use. Did they

like it? Did it improve their ability to follow the conversation? It's very specific to the asking the end users that they actually liked, disliked, suggestions, other examples. It's very particular. The surveys had questions [would be] to the end user experience, usability experience, and using the tool to increase their ability, understand, comprehend, and get value out of the session.

I wasn't looking to evaluate the content or the speaker, quality of the speaker. It was just specific questions that would be asked every single time in the three sessions.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I may add to that, Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I support that. Given that this is a pilot, I think any kind of information that can add to the strength of the captioning would really be a benefit, or weaknesses that need to be strengthened. I think that would be a real plus. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I agree. I'm just wondering with we should have separate – for the webinars, whether we should have a separate survey or combine it to

the one that's given to the webinars because I know people hesitate about filling two things out at the same time.

Maybe we could combine some of the questions onto the content survey, so that people only have one survey for the webinars. Heidi or Silvia, is that possible?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, I think a combined survey would work better. In case of the Capacity Building webinars, already [inaudible] questions, so maybe we could add a couple of questions or reformulate the survey so it includes questions about captioning [inaudible]. So a combined survey would be [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Do all webinars have a survey afterwards?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. The Capacity Building webinars, LACRALO, APRALO has surveys – evaluation surveys – for each webinar.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Thank you so much. Seun, that answers your question. And Glenn, you had a question.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I can work with Silvia and we can work on the draft questions, so that's great. [inaudible] is to keep it to ten questions or so. The shorter, the better.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. Thanks so much. Do we have any other questions or comments from people in the group? Do people like the idea, after we create the criteria, of having a wiki page? I'm wondering how do people put their question... If we're passing along to... If we're telling everyone from working group chairs to RALO leaders to everyone that this option is available, if people – where do people express the need that they have a special need or would like one captioned? Do they express it on the e-mail that staff send out? Do they express it to the working group chairperson? Do we then create a wiki page? How do we find it?

Will there will be a central...I don't want to limit to only e-mails to me. I want it to be more open so that if I'm not around, other people in our committee, they could check to see, "Oh yes, we have a request from people."

And so I'm just trying to think how will we go about – what process would we use, and if anyone has any suggestions on that. Silvia, do you have any suggestions?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, if I may.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Please go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perhaps Terri can comment on how we get feedback on when interpretation is needed. I would suspect that that be the same approach. Terri, can you talk a little bit about that?

TERRI AGNEW: Certainly, yes. So if interpretation is needed, generally the community member reaches out to us and we're aware of which community member needs the language services, and then we always try to plan for it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much, Terri. So all e-mails should go to you, but I guess if we – I'm trying to think for some reasons, if this goes, it gets very popular and everyone wants captioning and is more than the three a month, how do we make the cut? When we're applying the criteria, will they be posted to a wiki page? How could we go out if there's, say, five requests that month? Terri?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Judith, I think that's really [inaudible] criteria is very useful, [inaudible] the ability to evaluate if there are many requests. We can have a wiki and see if there are many requests, and prioritize, maybe, according to the criteria. [inaudible] attend an event how many? More than 15, less than 15, if it's going to be interactive or not, if it's going to be bilingual

call, etc. So if we have a set of criteria, that will help us to make the cut, like you say.

Normally, if staff receives request via e-mail from the chairs and secretariats whenever a call needs interpretation. So that's one way, but if we have the criteria, I think that's going to be very useful because it's going to be an objective way to say if we have ten requests, if the first five meet the criteria for the goal. That's my thinking. Thanks.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Silvia. Question then is, will we – I guess, then staff will be making... So once we write up these criteria, staff will be making the determination. And I guess the question I have, then, is what happens if during the month, we get later in the month, after the three have been chosen, we get someone who has an accessibility need, who we usually have as a top priority. Do we then say to them, "Oh, sorry, we used up our allotment for this month?"

I guess the question is, if someone with a – if we choose sessions by the criteria, and at that point, when we're choosing the highest priority doesn't have any requests. And so we use the – so they say, "Oh, there's no one with an accessibility or limited bandwidth, we're going with webinars." But then, later on, someone comes. Is there a way to evaluate or do we just tell the person, "Sorry, you have to wait for next month?"

SILVIA VIVANCO: Judith, I think that in that case, I'm thinking timing is also part of the criteria, right? Because if we have five requests that's taking in one month – let's say, September – and someone comes later and the calls are already organized, so we cannot push someone out to put someone that just came in. So timing is one of the criteria to be used.

They already knew which requests were received is also part of the criteria. And then we can say the next [inaudible]. You are next in the next month, you will have the opportunity to have your call on this with this feature.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. What does everyone think about that? Do they think it's a good idea? Yeah, so a cutoff date must be included in the promotion.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, this is Seun.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Seun, go ahead. Seun, go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Judith. Yeah, I think I agree with that. I agree with that that it should be this included in the call, and I think if it happens that we got five and we are [inaudible] and then we happen to get one more request after completion of the review, I think it is going to be fair to take to the outcome of the review, and perhaps encourage the person

or the applicant or the requester to actually look forward to the next opportunity.

I think we should be aware that this is just a pilot and we will not be able to fit in everybody, every request. However, I think we should, one, [inaudible] the timeline, that is the application period or the request period. I think we should be long enough, a little bit long enough to allow those who may have requests to submit their requests so that [inaudible] too short for people when their webinars or their events. So I think we should leave enough room so that there, maybe two weeks application period at least we can decide that.

And the other question. A question that comes to mind when I'm thinking about this is are we going to be issuing this call every month? Because it's going to be for three months. So is it going to be applied now? If you have events for the next three months, and then we select all of them at once, or we're going to have, we're going to be having a round of application of requests. So we need to be finding what out under that, as well. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Seun. Yeah. I think my idea was we would issue the call each month because some groups will not be needing them each month. And so not all working groups need webinars or [schedules] each month. so I think we need to have the call each month and that, for the time period, and then, maybe, people, when they Doodles first go out, people can then start if they need, if they see a Doodle and they say, "Oh, I really

need this call,” they can put it in. That way, they won’t miss the time period.

Because I know it’s not all calls are scheduled that far in advance, so if a call goes out, if something is going to go in the beginning in the month, the people at the end of the month won’t get it. But they could have a chance if they jump on it as soon as the Doodle comes out. I don’t know if that will work, how that works with the timing. Did that answer your question, Seun? If not, we have – of course, we’ll test all the room out ahead of time. I know, Silvia, there’s something in that you guys will test out before we start to make sure we get it all going.

Now we only have seven minutes left. The question is promotion of criteria. I think Siranush said we publicize it heavily in Dublin, in the lead up. And if that’s the case, then we can’t start in October, that we have to start in November, and then do November, December, January, for publicizing. So we can have if we want to do that or we can just heavily start publicizing in September so that we’re ready.

And, I guess, how we could do it – we want to make sure that we get the word out to all working group chairs and all RALO leaders to get the word out that this pilot’s beginning, and what the criteria are, and how they can suggest something. And then, maybe, also, send them out to all the RALO listservs and get that out. So we want a wide practice as possible.

And maybe we can get some of the people from the social action group, social network, the outreach and engagement group to get also the word out. I don’t know. Does anyone else have any ideas? Let me know.

Okay. So, Seun, we'll start publicizing before Dublin. Yeah, I think that makes sense, and then get, because what we want to do is we want to get everyone aware that the pilot is happening so that they can go into the first month or have plenty of opportunity and people will know, and then it won't take a month to get started and we lose the first month of data. Three months is always very tricky, and that's one thing I'm worried about, especially if we start in October. Maybe that will help people who are not in Dublin, but I don't know.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or other information they want to contribute? If not...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn? Yeah.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I had one suggestion. Maybe in Dublin, we can do a small little mail card or little memory jogger, just a small little notice that we can give people and hand it to them just to sort of tell them the rationale of what we're doing and get involved so that they can take something away with them. So, perhaps, we can design something in Adobe Photoshop or something. Something just small we can print off and bring ourselves [at the] ALAC meetings. When we're in Sunday morning, we can distribute it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, it's a great idea. Can you be in charge of publicity and artwork [inaudible] that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I can create something in InDesign, but I need content feedback, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Sure. We can send you content. An idea, I think, Silvia is going to type up the notes and then I will write up the – I will send her the criteria that we discussed, and then we can put that on there. And then once we all agree on these criteria, then you have some content.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, that's good.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know we only have two minutes left and I don't want to keep you guys over. I wanted to thank everyone for coming and giving us suggestions. Because without this, we really don't have – we want to get more. The more people we have in the different regions, the better it is so that they could spread it within their region, and I just wish we had people in LACRALO here, but there isn't any people in LACRALO here. So that's something [inaudible].

And maybe, yeah, so Glenn, I know you're very good in the publicity department and in the cards. And maybe you can do something like your Canada card or [inaudible] or a little blurb, something like that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So that would good. Anything else before we close out the call?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Nothing for me.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, great. And so thanks, everyone, for being on the call. And we'll be in touch shortly and so staff will get – I think, Silvia said you're doing a write-up. And then I will send you the criteria, and then we can get that out to the group, and then get their agreements so that we can start publicizing it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And then, I think, Heidi, you're going to get back to us about the action item about what's being captioned in ICANN, and two, whether ALAC meetings are available or do they take up two slots or one slot?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. This is Heidi. And then the other one is, basically, just to confirm on the number of calls in the pilot. So I'll look into that one, as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. Okay. That will be great. So thanks so much, and well, I guess we'll send out the information to people and then everyone agree and if we need another call, we'll do it there. But thanks. Thanks, all.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thanks, everyone. Bye-bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you very much. Thank you. Bye-bye.

TERRI AGNEW: Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines and have a...

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]