

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think Steve is now on the call. I think I just heard him just...

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: That's correct.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Any dial outs that need to be done?

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: No, all dial outs are completed.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, well it's two minutes past the hour. Let's start the call then.

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Thank you very much Dev. The recordings are being started.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everybody, and welcome to At-Large Technology Taskforce call on the 24<sup>th</sup> of August 2015.

On the call today, we have Gordon Chillcott, Alan Greenberg, Judith Hellerstein, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and Glenn McKnight.

Apologies are noted from Ali Al Meshal and Tracy Hackshaw, and tentative apologies from Jim Shultz.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

And from staff we have Steve Allison and myself Nathalie Peregrine.

I'd like to remind you all to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you every so much and over to you Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you so very much Nathalie. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Welcome to everyone to the technology taskforce call. On this agenda, on our agenda, we'll be looking at the update from the At-Large proposals, on captioning and e-books from Judith and Glenn respectively. And our next steps regarding [inaudible] Steve is here again from ICANN staff to talk about [inaudible].

We've had a previous discussion on our last call regarding [inaudible], and we're looking for our next steps as for our ATLAS recommendation 26, regarding a policy management process system. Next we're going to have a brief update on the LACRALO mailing list issues. And just to run through some of the other things that are happening on the ATLAS 2 recommendations.

I see that Glenn added an agenda item on technology tips, and if there is any other business. I think Glenn wants to add to the agenda, the Dublin TTF newsletter. So I guess we'll add it in there. Okay. Anybody else have any suggestions for the agenda?

Okay, going once, going twice, great, okay, excellent. So on the last call, we didn't really have time to talk about the two key At-Large proposals that were submitted for FY 16. And one of them was the captioning project, and that was submitted and is being looked at by Judith

---

Hellerstein, TTF co-chair. And another was the creation of e-books, which has been led Glenn McKnight, which is the other TTF co-chair.

So I just wanted to get an update on this proposal. So Judith, can you give an update on what is happening regarding the captioning project?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. On the proposal, we got together a small team, trying to get people from all of the RALOs to help work on setting up the criteria. We do not have anyone from EURALO or LACRALO, but we do have other participation from Africa, from NARALO, and from APRALO.

So we had a meeting last week, where we talked about what type of criteria we are looking at, as the only... The pilot is only three months, we had originally thought it was going to be six months, but they wanted a three month pilot. And so, with time being very short, we want to get, ones that criteria where we can help choose which of the three would be done for the captioning. And then also ones that have evaluation of each of the three.

And so Glenn is working with Silvia of staff to create an evaluation as sort of a form, an online form, with Survey Gizmo, to work on the evaluation, and then we also wanted to work on publication, and as we want to make sure that the first meeting is also full, we also looked at possibly pushing off the start of it so we can do a heavy promotion in Dublin and the lead up to Dublin.

---

We also talked about trying to get more, invite other, to get, to look at also webinars and what webinars would be good to caption, because there was a big push to get webinars captioned and increase engagement. And I think that pretty much covered... I mean, I don't think we'll have a second meeting. I think we are improving the criteria we discussed, and then working on the promotional items and the survey.

Glenn, is there anything else that I missed that you would like to add?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. It's Glenn for the record. We also are feeling to the community to suggest appropriate places for the testing. So, we're going to produce a small little promotional piece starting to urge people to come forward and suggest their event, whether it's webinar [inaudible], as part of the pilot. So we definitely want as large as possible the participants, so that they survey can be much more accurate.

We don't want a small group in terms of evaluating the tool. And on the comment with the survey, there is a lot of discussion if the survey would be separate from the evaluation of the quality of the webinar, so I created 10 questions already in the Wiki, and I'm working with Silvia to refine them.

We don't want a really long survey. We want the people to be able to rattle off the survey fairly quickly.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. This is Judith Hellerstein again. And I forgot, and Heidi Ullrich from staff was going to be checking on whether, if we cover an ALAC session, whether that counts as two or one in the two slots or one slot, in the text. So she's was going to, that was one of the action items assigned to her.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So this is Dev. Thanks Judith and Glenn for the updates on the captioning. So my question is, you said that you're looking for members. So is that a call for members to join this, well I don't know what group you will call it, the captioning working group, needs to be done? If you want to get persons from EURALO and LACRALO?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith Hellerstein again. We put out a call earlier on, and that's how we formed the team. We never got members from EURALO or LACRALO. And so we put out calls beforehand. We would love the input in looking at the criteria, and maybe helping out in different parts. But we didn't get any people wanting to subscribe from those two regions.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. A quick follow-up question then. Do you want to then have as an action item then, to send out a notice again from a person from LACRALO will be willing to join the captioning, I don't know what you call it, working group, taskforce, in order to get representation?

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't... I don't think so. What we'll probably do is we'll probably get, when we do the promotion, we'll get the secretariats to help out and the RALO chairs to help doing promotion, I think. Glenn, is that what we decided?

I think that's what Siranush and everyone discussed that we would push the promotion through the RALO chairs. I believe that was my recollection. Glenn, do you remember?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, that's right.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. My next question, okay, this is Dev. Just one more quick question, I'm not seeing any other hands raised. So in terms of captioning, do you think the captioning would be done for either a conference call or for a live face to face meeting? So for example, the ALAC sessions in Dublin, for example, or are you primarily looking at, say, regular conference calls, like the ALAC monthly call? That type of stuff.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We are looking at everything. We... Heidi was also tasked with finding out, she was going to find out from Josh in IT, which of the sessions that ICANN was already captioning in Dublin. With the live transcripts. And

---

so we would be... She was going to get back on that to us as well, and then we take that into consideration.

So we're looking... As the ALAC is a two hour session, that's why Heidi was getting back to us about whether that would take up two slots or one slot.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I get you. Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And all the other meetings are one slot. So she was going to get back to that on those issues and see whether that was a thing. And I see, welcome Jimmy, is on the call. Maybe Jimmy, if Jimmy or Olivier are interested in giving some EURALO feedback on criteria and others, because we didn't have any representation on our team from EURALO. So just put out the call there to those people.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, this is Dev. Thanks Judith. Let me ask, can you submit a link to where all of this information regarding the captioning project is, located?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure. Nathalie do you have that on hand? Do you have that on hand or do you want me to look for it?

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. Nathalie said she would locate it. Okay, thanks Judith. Any other comments or questions?

Excellent. Thanks Judith for the update. So next on the agenda is looking at the e-books proposal that was also submitted and approved by ICANN for FY 16. Glenn, you have the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. Thank you Dev. I'll be fairly brief. We haven't had our first meeting yet. Heidi has organized, do a call out. But there has been, informally, it's going to be a fairly small group on the call. Alfredo is part of the group. We are looking at focusing on the e-book with outreach. So we're using existing materials, and converting it to an e-book format.

Now if you've never seen an e-book before, I just want to share with you one I did with ISOC last year. This is an example of an e-book. It's just to get it create through archive dot ORG. It was just submitted to Amazon and another distribution channel as well. And the idea being that it's completely configured for your mobile, it also has integration of video and other links to it.

So Excalibur is the tool that I used to configure. There has been, two staff have been assigned in communication for this. The focus is outreach materials, newcomers in particular. The budget for this is fairly modest, and it took a little while because I had no idea how big this project would be because as opposed to years past, we had actual cash allocations per project.



---

So this is a very, very modest project. This is \$5,000, and which is in the ICANN world is peanuts. So I don't see much in terms of us producing, but at least as an example that the staff can start working on, and we decided, in the discussion with Heidi and the staff, that the outreach material which is actually produced, it's just a matter of proper configuration and conversion.

So if anyone wants to join us on this and give their feedback, please do.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. Thanks Glenn. Okay. So I guess a question from me, looking at the link you have posted on the archive dot ORG, regarding what is it? Let me look at the title. Live streaming manual for Internet Society chapters. So what program did you use to create this e-book, software?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Well it was first done in a Word format, and converted to Excalibur. Excalibur is the tool. And then you, it was at least 22 versions that, in terms of configuration for testing on Android and iPhone tablets and iPad. So what happens when you produce it, then you look at it. So we need people who have different formats, when it's produced to actually download it and give end user feedback on the configuration of look and feel.

So it took, like any testing, it takes a while to make, so that it looks good. The pictures look good, the font looks good, there isn't a run over

---

from page to page, and you're able to change the size without losing material.

So yeah, that project took about six months from start to finish in terms of doing it, and that was above \$10,000, if I recall. So that was a fair amount of work to do it. But in addition to the book itself, I produced 11 short videos on step by step process on how to. So they're integrated within each of the chapters. So I don't, this e-book does not include any production of video.

If we do have video content, we should scan for it. What I [inaudible] before with communication people, it had material that they produced, linked to outside sources, which is really dangerous stuff because we really need to control the information, because who knows, the links can go to something else.

So it really should be material, pictures, video, content that you own. Let my major cautionary, I would say in this e-book, that if it is a link to pictures and video, that it is actually stuff that is owned by ICANN.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. I would say hosted by at least, or the hosting of such content is under our control, so we know that the links won't change unless we, as in At-Large, change it. So okay. All right. Thanks Glenn. This is Dev. Any questions or comments from the group?

All right. So thanks Glenn. Actually, one quick question. Could you like post a link to the software that was used to create the e-book? I might want to take a look at it also myself, to see how that can be used for the

---

outreach and engagement. So if you can just post that link in the chat. Okay.

While Glenn is doing that, I see no questions from the group. Let's move ahead now to our next agenda item which is... Judith, I see your hand is raised. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Judith Hellerstein for the record. I posted in the chat, and I can send to people on the call, the link to the Wiki page for the captioning pilot. And so, Silvia and staff created a Wiki where we discussed the criteria, where Glenn has the questions for the survey, and some other information related to our call that we had then. So if you want to take a look at it, if they need to me to send them, let me know.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. All right, thanks for that Judith. And yes, I do see the link is there in the chat. So. Okay. Let's see. I thought I saw a hand raised, but I guess it was taken down. Okay. So let's move ahead to our next agenda item. It's our next steps regarding [inaudible]. Steve from ICANN staff is here with, on this call, welcome call.

Last time we talked, we did a brief overview of what [inaudible] is, and that there was a trial within the GNSO. So can you provide an update for us on this?

---

STEVE ALLISON:

Yeah. Thank you Dev Anand. So I think a couple of weeks ago, I gave an update on [cubby?]. Gave an overview. I'll just quickly go through it again, just for those that may not have gotten a chance to hear it last time. We did a pilot with the GNSO, with the technology called [cubby], with the intent focusing on a working group can form themselves and work towards some kind of output, whether it's policy development advice, or some kind of research paper, whatever like the written output is.

So some of the functionality that was in [cubby] that we looked at, that should be similar to how your working groups formed, or your own policy development work that you do, you know, evaluating documents, storage, and naming conventions. Group e-mails and discussion forums, document creation, something like ad-hoc note taking, calendars and inviting, task management, validating and consensus building, and then just like overall search capabilities.

And so, we looked at [cubby] on the site, we also did some internal evaluations on some similar tool sets. All of them are sort of these all in one platforms that try to provide a little bit of everything, so that you have this single solution to do your work.

And so for the GNSO pilot, we came away with some really interesting lessons learned, and ultimately, the results of what we had found was that [cubby] itself has a platform, really isn't ready for what our community needs to go through an entire working group management process.

---

So you know, I think like what it really came down to is that this tool and some of the other ones that we looked at, weren't a better experience of what we actually currently have in our working, in terms of our Confluence Wiki, in terms of managing content within the group. We did find that there is a slight increase in people's ability to find stuff, find like inputs and work products that are built by working groups that they are not a part of.

So some of the search functionality is a little better than what we had in Confluence today. But outside of that, the actual like group that's doing work, the document management capabilities within [cubby], the interaction that we saw between members of the working group, through their distribution list, the calendaring and stuff like that, we didn't find that any of that was really fundamentally better than the tools that we currently have in place across all of the other organizations.

You know, Mailman, Confluence, the way we do calendars. And so we felt that it just wasn't quite ready for us to take that step forward in a production nature. So you know, we kind of stepped back and started thinking about the whole strategy, where we are, and what's an appropriate next step, and what we've kind of come to the conclusion of at this point is that, you know, it's important for us to maybe go back to the beginning of what the process is, and work our way forward to the point of actually being involved in the actual work space itself and figuring out what functions the work space really needs.

And so our next step is really trying to improve the visibility and findability and onboarding experience that the members of the

---

community would have in actually joining a working group. And so we're looking at this right now with the GNSO. Our hypothesis is that in increasing the transparency and findability of groups, and then streamlining a lot of the steps that are required to get somebody actually into a group, to get them working with that group.

So we will actually kind of create a stabilization of how to participate within various organizations. And then from there, once we have that baseline, I think it's more natural for us to start exploring more deeply from the complex aspects of each organization's policy development processes that they have. And then hopefully by that time, we'll either have a little better understanding for what functions we need to build ourselves, potentially into our own, each of the SO AC website, or you know, continue to explore the external third party products and see if we find one that fits naturally for the larger community, that we can adopt as a single solution as opposed to kind of propagating, you know, additional solutions out there across the community.

So that's kind of an update on what our thinking is right now, and some of the work that we're starting to do to kind of feed into that beginning part of the process. I'm going to pause there and see if there is any questions for that content.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Steve. Actually, you mentioned quite a lot of things there. Well first, any questions from the group? Okay. Seeing none. Let me touch on a few things that you mentioned there. So, okay, so regarding the, getting persons onboarding into working groups.

---

Actually I think this is something identified in another working group, with the outreach and engagement working group, in that it's very hard for members to discover working groups, and then from there to actually get onboard, and then get involved in, it's still a challenge especially for persons not aware of the process.

So I think we're looking at ways at how do we improve that. And you know, possibly even having a webinar on that issue, and how person can get involved in working group. Regarding, okay, so regarding so [inaudible] work as well in the GNSO, and we found that a part from searching for material, which is better in [cubby] than in Confluence, you said things such as the calendaring aspect, the Confluence Wiki, you know, it's the, there was like a purpose for [inaudible] is that you're thinking it's a greater purpose that seems to rely on those tools, whether it be Confluence and not so much [cubby].

I don't know. Was there any documentation, was it documented in screen shots and so forth? Is there like a report generated about it, what the GNSO found useful and not useful. If there is such a report, go ahead.

STEVE ALLISON:

I don't have an official report. We do have lessons learned that we've been capturing along the way. And we, it's on the community Wiki and I can actually send out to the group kind of what we've been capturing this whole project and what we're learning along the way. So I can send that out. But kind of to touch on that a little bit is that, a lot of what we

---

found, at least in the GNSO, a lot of the interactions they have takes place in their Adobe Connect calls, and on their mailing lists.

It wasn't necessarily them constantly having a space to work in, and to find documents, and to interact with the documents, while it was in the work space. Some of those needs may be a little bit different from organizations. But when we did use the tools for various functionality, so if we're talking about calendar, as an example, we found that [cubby] itself struggled to like align to our business process, and so the [cubby] team was constantly trying to like give us workarounds to make it kind of fit our business process, as opposed to be able to evolve some of their [inaudible] support, the support as less of a hack.

And so some of those things were red flags to us. But in general, I think one of the bigger issues that we're looking at is that, if you go from Confluence, or to [cubby] or to [jive] software, or any of these other platforms that exist, all of them were kind of this all in one solution. You need buy in from the entire community really to migrate over to a new solution.

And in doing that, there really should be a huge increase in productivity to, if we're going to go through the pain of going through that migration process. And when we looked at this just holistically what the experience would be, even though some of these tools might look a little bit nicer than the Wiki format, it wasn't really providing anything fundamentally different than what we already had currently, in being able to standup spaces quickly, or work spaces quickly, and being able to upload our documents, all of those things require processes like naming conventions, and organization and governance to be effective,



---

and none of these tools really provide some magic solution we're missing in the current tool set.

So anyway, as a follow up, I can kind of send out the link to where we documented our lessons learned in how we have been progressing on that front.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. Thanks Steve. So I guess my question, well, I just put the two links in the chat there, and I was just going to quickly type in some idea as to how At-Large could really use a policy management process system. They really have aspirational needs in describing the presentation, and we could probably go through the ATLAS 2 recommendation, you'll see it.

You know that, so I was going to... So my question now is really to the group then. So, you know, should we race toward the evaluation of [cubby], given that the At-Large, sorry the GNSO and ICANN have already conducted a trial, and they found that the [cubby] was... Well they didn't get enough buy in, and persons apparently felt comfortable using the existing tools [neo man], Confluence, Wiki, and so forth.

Should we expend the energy and the effort to do a short trail of [cubby]? And if so, how we would do it? Any comments or questions? I see a no from Gordon. And if you raise the hands and take the floor, I'll monitor the chat here.

---

STEVE ALLISON:

And Dev, if people are kind of thinking... One thing I would encourage, and thinking about your own internal processing and the current pain points that you do have, is still a valuable exercise. And even though, I don't know if we're going to find necessarily find a tool that's going to solve our problem at this time yet, being able to very clearly articulate what it is about your current processes or your current tools that is a struggle, and kind of flushing out the various scenarios, will be valuable to us as we start to build some functionality into ICANN dot ORG, as we start to get a grasp as to what it means to help you guys go through the policy development processes.

So thinking through those things, or even doing like your own eternal pilot could be valuable, and there is no reason why we can't help support that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thanks Steve. I'm still not seeing... I don't get a sense of enthusiasm from the group whether to go to a trial, a deep trial of [cubby]. Anyone wants to take to the floor and ask a question or comment on this?

Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

My impression from Steve is that it just didn't function the way they expected or that people didn't get enthusiastic about it. I just don't see our testing could result in anything more elaborate. If it's duplicating

---

what we already have, we're just kicking the tires for something that probably is a waste of our time.

So I think Steve's summary reflects the same.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Glenn. Any other comments, questions, or concerns? All right. So I think then that if you don't want to expend the energy and the time to go into a trial of [cubby], then and... Steve let me ask a question. You said, were you looking at any other tools, in terms of policy management? Has ICANN internally identified other tools? Or are they focusing now solely on the internal ICANN dot ORG websites and At-Large websites?

STEVE ALLISON: This time we're going to shift our focus internally. We're going to work on that onboarding element, visibility and the findability of groups. And I think from there, it will help the secretariat staff to kind of unload some of the overhead associated with getting people into these groups. And I think, as we go through that, it's going to take some time to do that.

You're also going to start seeing, just in general, the platform in which we develop for ICANN dot org, it will be a lot more robust. It's going to allow us to build better applications as well, better functionality into each of our sites. And so it's possible when we get to that point, it's a natural launch pad for us to say, hey you know, this, maybe the... And this is just a suggestion, it's not the answer.

---

But maybe At-Large and ICANN dot ORG becomes the place where people actually can create their working products. They can get through their policy development processes, and then it just like feeds naturally into the publication of those advice statements. So there is less energy that I think we can build off the platform if it's a little more mature. So that's one possibility, but we're not actually exploring those workflows yet.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I see a hand raised. Olivier, your hand is raised, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Dev. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. Thanks. Yeah, this thing of [cubby] sounds like a promising piece of software, that I think the, it's probably very hard for us to, or at least for me to see whether this will fit our needs or not, in that what we probably would need first is a first step is to find out... Because I've looked at the [cubby] website, there is tons of different little parts of [cubby] and it's all structured with, well, I don't know if there are additional products, are they're all sort of...

---

They look like different features and stuff, and different subparts of [cubby]. So it might be worth to try to plan a little bit about the different stages of our statement development, and see how that would be done with [cubby]. What part of the software would be used for [cubby] for that, whether it actually, you know, we can tick the box on each one of our needs. I don't know whether this has already been done.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. Well, thanks Olivier. This is Dev. So it hasn't been done in a sense of, we haven't had a chance to actually scrape user accounts for At-Large, and actually gone into it. And the question was, you know, based on the fact that the GNSO and ICANN have conducted a trail, and the GNSO has found it lacking, and therefore ICANN is therefore probably not going to support, well are not looking to investigate it further, if I understand these correctly, should we then do a trail? Of the actual, you know, create user accounts, approach it from the different user profiles, from an At-Large member, from a staff member, etc.

To actually use [cubby]. So that really is the question. I feel you have an answer to... Do you want to respond to that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes please Dev. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. The way the GNSO does its policy work is completely different, because it works as a working group. And I think that they're a lot more active into developing things, whilst in At-Large, the statement development is of a

---

much shorter length, and goes to much less steps. So I would say it's a different way to develop and to do our work.

That said, the only concern I would have when you're saying, well ICANN is not going to proceed forward with [cubby] for the GNSO. Would there be a chance for [cubby] retained for ALAC only, if the GNSO was not going to go forward with it? That I guess is probably where it goes, as far as the cost or concern. If it isn't, and if IT is looking at other tools for the GNSO that would fit ALAC, or the At-Large community, then I guess there is no point in us wasting time on [cubby] at that point.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Steve, do you want to respond to that?

STEVE ALLISON: Yeah, I think you hit on, with the last scenario Olivier. IT is not looking to proliferate individual solutions where they don't have to. I suspect that we'll be able to get to a point where we can have a solution where the community is comfortable, whether they're at, working within At-Large, or whether they're working with GNSO, and that we use like products across the community.

Obviously, if there isn't a product that does, the community, you know we can diverge and have similar products that we have to support. I don't think, I don't know if [cubby] is going to be that tool regardless.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. Thanks Steve, this is Dev. You said there was some report that was done, that you said you can post the Wiki link to us, Steve. I'll suggest you post that, but I think from the discussion here, that it doesn't seem to make sense that we go into a big detail trial of [cubby], and especially as you're now looking at using, have it internally develop, the tool, by ICANN website and via the At-Large website design.

I know that they've made significant progress in how they're able to import information from public comments and so forth. So perhaps you really need to study that, and perhaps discuss that in our next call. Look at what, in fact, the design team has done so far in how they're able to get contact, content on ICANN dot org and update it without a manual cut and paste type of stuff.

All right. Steve actually put a link to the site. So okay, so that's something we could probably look at. Okay, thanks Steve. Any other comments, questions?

Excellent. So let us quickly go on to our next agenda item, which is the LACRALO mailing list issues. Well, just to say that Josh Jenkins is still the sole person working on this issue, in his spare time, outside of ICANN work, so he's been, he did put in some work over this weekend. And he said that he has actually done on the LACRALO mailing list issues.

For example, he fixed the situation that whenever there is an URL, and there is a full stop, he's now able to differentiate the URL properly and not incorporate the full stop in the URL, which was then rendered an invalid URL. So he's done some things. And but he's very busy, and

---

unfortunately he could not be on this call today, but what we are going to do is have a special purpose call on Tuesday, 23:00 UTC.

So we'll discuss the actual changes done, and we'll probably look at some of the samples of emails that are going through the new translation engine, and then see what our next steps are in terms of, can we switch over to the new engine or not? Just to say that the existing, the discussions on LACRALO with our existing translation engine, it leaves a lot to be desired because it's still very, very confusing, and the discussions have been [inaudible].

So our existing translation is offering right now is so, is lacking, for more lack of a better word. Glenn, your hand is raised.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sorry. For the benefit of everyone else, Dev, would you mind giving us some historical background on this problem? How long this has been a problem, and how long you've struggled with this issue?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. This is Dev. Well yes. I posted a link here to the Wiki page, which gives a background of the history. The original translation started in September 2008. And we switched around 2011 from the [inaudible] to Google Translate. However, at that same time, we... There is still a lot of problems. And in 2012, I went ahead and detailed a set of four problems that regarding the LACRALO translation issues. One of the key problems is, a part from bad translation, is that the subject translated emails from Spanish to English became garbled.



---

So what would happen is that you would then see literally, and not and... In fact, I'll pull some actual subject line. If it becomes something like this, after two or three people respond, which it total gibberish. And of course, this breaks conversation setting and email time, and sometimes people respond and start a new conversation thread, and it becomes impossible to maintain a threaded conversation.

And you have to be supremely diligent. I did a detailed presentation at Buenos Aires, and I can open up those slides and show it to you. And I thought I might do that when I go into the ATLAS 2 recommendations. And that is the key sticking points, and it's very problematic. Carlton, your hand is raised, go ahead.

You may be muted Carlton.

Okay. Loud line noise there. So Carlton, can you hear me?

Okay. Well unfortunately, we're not hearing you, unfortunately.

Okay. All right. Let me just, what I can do... Let me share my screen actually. Well, while we're dialing out to Carlton, just let me quickly share my screen. In fact, Nathalie, can you upload the presentation from the, technology taskforce presentation from ICANN 53 to the pod? And then you can control it from there, and everybody can see it from [inaudible]. Thanks.

Hope, okay. So this is Dev. So, hopefully on the call, and I'll post a link to the... And I'll ask Nathalie to set up the proper meeting room and so forth, for the 23:00 UTC Tuesday. And of course, anybody interested in the LACRALO translation issues are welcomed to attend this call,

---

because, and look at ways in which we can test the new translation software and so forth.

Because there is a separate new testing mailing list setup, and a new one that will setup over the weekend, and according to Josh, he's made some progress. Okay. So, let's see. Nathalie, is Carlton dialed in yet?

Okay. I certainly I'm still connected, okay. Any other comments or questions regarding the LACRALO mailing list issues?

Alan, I see Alan's hand is raised. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, just one little curious one that I've noticed over the years. And there is probably no easy way to fix it. There is a real problem with people who are fluently bilingual. They tend to respond to either a message on the English or the Spanish list, not necessarily in the appropriate language. Because they treat them as interchangeable.

So someone might respond to something on the Spanish list, in English, and of course it tries to translates that from Spanish to English, and it could go the other way around. Unless we do something that attempts to recognize the language like Google does, probably no way to fix that. But that's an interesting little side light, thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks. Actually, Joshua was also able to have us, to be able to switch the translation language, he sent me a text message in German, actually. So maybe there is some progress on that aspect. Yeah. And I

---

also propose an alternate model for how the translation engine works out, and I see the presentation has been put up. Thanks Nathalie.

Olivier, your hand is raised.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Dev. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And I just wonder again, I thought that this used the Google engine for translating the messages. But yet, every time I look, and I do a cut and paste of the original message in Spanish and put it in Google Translate and then translate it, the quality is so much better than the way the translation is done on the list.

I'm just amazed about how to enable this translation works. How inept the translation engine is for the list. I don't know it's bizarre. I notice that for translating of documents, the GNSO makes use of Bing. I haven't used Bing translate. Would that be the engine that's used here as well? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. I can respond to that. So if it is using Google Translate, so Google Translate has an API, and one of the challenges has been that the lack of punctuation, is identified as one key issue for the poor translation emails. So what happened is that because, and I know we're spending a little bit more time on it, but since there is interest.

But given that there is a lack of punctuation in people's sentences, what eventually happens is that the software has to make a cut. So what happens, a sentence, which on the whole can get translated and make

---

sense, what happens is a break mid-sentence, so to speak. So we have two phrases that are sentences that are translated independently out of context, and then spliced back together.

So, yeah. That is really one of the key problems. And one of the challenges has been that, okay, if we decide to reject messages, the rejection of messages, what we found out in our initial testing, is that the rejection messages comes in, but then you don't even know how, what message it applies or what point it applies in a person's email.

So and that was something that was also [inaudible] so far. So all right. I see hands raised here. Okay. I see Olivier, you still want to respond, go ahead. And just a question before that, Bing uses its Microsoft software that's been developed to... It does not use Google Translate. Okay. Go ahead, Olivier, sorry, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Dev. Olivier speaking. See what I don't understand is, okay, so this is using the Google API, and yet if I do a select all on a message, which is made up of garbled stuff from one person, another person, another person, another person. I do a cut and paste into the Google window, it actually makes a lot more sense than if I read the automatically translated version.

And I don't know where it goes wrong. Where is it going wrong if it's using the same API?

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Like I said the punctuation. So what happens is that there are only a certain number of characters that can be sent to the Google Translate before it rejects it. Like I said, what happens, what has been happening is that the, as I understand it, is that it would be translating sequences, like certain phrases only, of a sentence, breaking it up into three or four blocks because it doesn't know where the sentence end, and then sending it out.

And then getting those message fragments independently and then splicing it back together. And that's where you have the confusion. And another challenge has been the, I would say, the encoding of the emails. And that's why you see some strange things like superscripts, and subscripts in our email messages, if you noted that.

And in your translation, the software that's being tested, a lot of that is [inaudible]. And one of the suggestions I've made is that, you know, don't translate subject lines, so that we don't have the breaking of threaded conversations. My big peeve about this is that, this is really considered a side project. And in a sense, it's not really a supported ICANN project. And that is Josh doing it in his spare time, outside of ICANN work.

And Josh is a very busy person. So that's still my pet peeve on this issue. But he says he has made some progress, and he's available on the Tuesday 23:00 UTC. So I'll make it an action item to post the contact call details for the LACRALO translation list issues, so that anybody could attend.

---

And you can ask these kinds of questions to Josh, and he'll give the proper answer in case I am misstating it. Okay? All right, we were are coming up to the top of the hour. Okay, Carlton you can speak? Okay. Go ahead.

Okay, Carlton we're still not hearing you, unfortunately.

Well this is Dev. Carlton, I'm still not hearing you unfortunately. I don't think anybody is hearing you, unfortunately.

So you might have to, unfortunately, if you can't... We're still not hearing you. Very strange. And I mean literally, we're not hearing you. I mean...

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought we already did dial out to him?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well Carlton, oh dear. Well Carlton, you can typing in to the Adobe pod for the record. Sorry for that. Alan, your hand is raised. You have something else?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes it is. One quick question and then three comments. You said we divide the, to use the API, we divide it into strings of a finite length. Do you know what that length is? Roughly?

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I probably need to double check it. I have a number in my mind, but I have no...

ALAN GREENBERG: Give me the number, anything.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think it was something like 256. [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: ...number. I have cut and paste sentence that are less than 256 characters, and it comes out differently from what Google does. So I think there is something else at play here, I don't know what it is. Maybe it's translating all of the headers at the same time. So that's number one.

Number two, you said there is a new mailing list for testing. Can you put me on that list?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, certainly. So Nathalie? Okay, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. You said that Josh is working on this part-time, not even an official project. If that's the case, talk to me privately afterwards, I will write a letter. That's ridiculous. This is a major impediment to us being

---

able to work, and it needs to be a real official project with real resources put into it, so that we actually make some progress.

That's not a criticism of anyone in particular, but let's make sure it's focused on seriously. And lastly, I've heard repetitively for years now, that people write sentences without punctuation and that's a problem. Have we ever asked them to write shorter sentences with punctuation?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. To answer that question, yes, in a sense that there was a LACRALO working group that came up with these recommendations about the [inaudible]... [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: ...working group doesn't translate to every one knowing it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: ...please write short sentences and make sure to put in punctuation.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. So I would say yes, it was but I think it will probably be lost again. So but I think your point is raised. And I think what's happened is that if we were ready to switch to the new translation software, that a



---

webinar needs to be held with LACRALO, and that touches on all of these things.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Recognize even webinars, only a small percentage of people attend them.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I know. Or perhaps a video or something like that. Or handout, or PDF, or something like that, be posted. That type of stuff. Just to answer, just to respond to Carlton's question, and I know we spent a lot of time on this translation, which is good because I'm glad, this has been a personal [inaudible] of mine to... So I'm glad there is some interest in this.

That Carlton says that we have a specific LACRALO problem that the poor translation is allowing people to claim ignorance as defense. So, and the frustrations of Carlton not being able to connect using technology to join the technology taskforce call.

Okay. Well, we're now like three minutes past the hour. I did have some mentions to go through quickly about the ATLAS 2 recommendations, and probably next steps. And I don't think we'll have time to look at the newsletter, other than, Judith, we have done the newsletter for Singapore, for London, and probably you should do one for Dublin.

Let's see if we could just do that quickly. Judith, I think this is the normal intent, correct?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. We were just interested... We've done this newsletter for many, for London, Singapore, Buenos Aries, and we are looking for content to put in for Dublin and the content is usually travelling tips that help people travel around. Are there maps of the city?

Are there places where you can easily buy Sim cards? And what are the data plans? And that type of thing. So that's the type of thing we're looking at for the one page newsletter. And if you have any nice graphics.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right. Well I think this is probably starting out, you can just start out a Wiki page for the newsletter, and let's start putting together content, ideas and suggestions, and post it the TTF list. Okay? And let's get the ball rolling on that.

Just too quickly just go through one quick agenda item, sorry ATLAS 2 recommendation, this is part of recommendation 26, policy management process system. Okay, we've discussed [cubby], but one of the other things for the policy management process that we want to do, was to have a discussion with the regional RIRs, that could be adopted and see what tool they use, and see what could be adopted for At-Large policy development.

I have been talking with the person from LAC NIC, particular [inaudible], and he's very interested in actually coming onto the call and doing a

---

presentation on what tools they use on the policy, in the LAC NIC management, how they develop their policies. So that's been very busy this summer for LAC NIC, participated in the LAC IGF, they're going to be participating in the Caribbean IGF this week in Trinidad and Tobago. And they also just recently had their own LAC NIC internal meeting, just some time ago.

So it's been a very busy time. But I'll be talking to, but it seems, probably quiet down a little bit. So probably for our next technology taskforce call, we'll probably have persons from LAC NIC be able to talk about the tools being used for their policy development process.

So that's one of the key updates on that recommendation. Let's see.

I think we'll well in hand as to most of the other ATLAS 2 recommendations, captioning, social media, and so forth. And I know that there is going to be ATLAS 2, the implementation working group is going to be having a call, probably September to really start reviewing all of these recommendations. Okay.

And also on our next call, Josh Walsh for ICANN IT staff, he'll be talking about the new ICANN meeting app for your mobile device, for meetings. A beta version was tested out at the Buenos Aires meeting, and there was some feedback given. So they're looking to take that feedback into account and have a new app ready for launch at the ICANN Dublin meeting.

So on our next call, we'll probably all be looking at that application. Okay. With that in mind, any other comments or observations or questions? And apologies for taking eight minutes beyond the hour.

---

[Inaudible] comment, but all right. Hearing nobody else, I would like to thank everyone for attending this call. And very, very interesting. Hopefully for the new persons like Carlton, hopefully you'll be better able to connect next time on the call.

And I'll see you all on the mailing list. Take care, and this call is now adjourned. And see you all, for those persons on the LACRALO call mailing list issues, the call is Tuesday 23:00 UTC. So take care all, bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**