
GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call, on Monday the 21st of September at 19:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Garth Bruen, Alfredo Calderon, Gordon Chillcott, Glenn McKnight, Avri Doria, Eduardo Diaz, Judith Hellerstein, Louis Houle.

We have apologies today noted from Allan Skuce.

And from staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, and myself Gisella Gruber.

And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. And Alan Greenberg has just joined the call as well. Thank you and over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Wonderful, thank you very much. This is Garth Bruen. And welcome to our September call, roughly one month before Dublin meeting. And I want to...

Nothing in particular, okay. Do we have any open action items? There are none listed in the agenda, but I want to make sure that we haven't missed anything.

No open actions... Yes?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. This is Silvia Vivanco. We are actually hyperlinked to the agenda, and I can go over them very quickly. The first one is NARALO to hold two onboarding webinars for new ALSs. On September 4 I had a chat with Glenn and Judith, to talk about the need for onboarding webinars, in view that some organizations needed some guidance.

At-Large staff has already held two webinars for new ALSs. So what I propose is that they can check the recording, and wait for the new, the next onboarding webinar that we will have for the entire At-Large community, to welcome new ALSs. And to have this new ALSs understand what At-Large is all about.

And this is expected to happen after Dublin, sometime between November and December. The second action item was regarding the consensus call on NARALO outreach strategy, and that was approved during the last conference call, and [inaudible] is re-chartering the outreach and engagement subcommittee, and that was already completed. That was completed as well. So all of them are complete.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Okay. Go ahead Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, that's all, thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you Silvia. Eduardo has his hand up, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, I want to add to the agenda in any other business. I want to talk about an event that we have at the end of October. It's called the Celebration of Internet Day. If you I can please have two, three minutes to talk about it. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. No problem. We will make room for you. No other hands up. We will go into the agenda. First item is a CROPP update plus talk on GSE outreach efforts from Glenn. Please take the floor Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you Garth. It's Glenn for the record. We've been working on basically engagement events month by month for North America. We've shared this document with staff and Garth and others. If there is an event that you believe that would be good for outreach and engagement, please let us know so we can add it to the list.

The document itself was crafted for capacity building, and there was very few examples in there, in North America. So there is some time sensitivity to this, and Heidi could address this issue. But I believe by the end of September, they would want this list of events that should be in this civil engagement.

In terms of the CROPP initiative, we did a strategy and then submit it, and we had feedback from our VP Chris Mondini and Joe, both gave feedback, good critical feedback, which we appreciated and acted on. And so that document is in place. So if there is still flexibility in terms of

the events that we believe that should be a sponsored CROPP event, please get your ideas in.

And again, on this calendar, thank you Heidi. Heidi just mentioned that this document is due by September 30. And so what it is, is month by month, we try to identify events that would be good for outreach. For example, the GSE is doing an event on, with [Sierra] in a couple of weeks, on October 5th, with ICANN on outreach at the [Sierra] office, followed by ARIN in Montreal, and then some event in Toronto.

And I think it's very important for us to know what these events are, and so our local ALS can be involved or supported. So if there are any questions on that?

GARTH BRUEN:

Any questions from the floor before I ask my questions? No? Okay. So where are we with representation for CROPP? Have we sorted that out?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. Thank you. Bouncing a bit around a bit, but okay. So we have two representatives. I volunteered for, I'm the chair for North American outreach and engagement with that committee, so I'm representing engagement and [inaudible] he said he would stay on from the finance end. So we have our two representatives for CROPP.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Anybody have any questions about what Glenn has talked about so far? No? Okay. This is Garth. I just have one quick thing. I haven't put it into the agenda that Glenn is working on, because I wasn't sure of when I would actually be able to make this meeting, but there is a group in Boston I will be meeting with.

And they're called The Code for Boston. And I'll just put the link into the chat very quickly. And I'll write up something more formal later. I don't need money, I don't need any funding to be able to attend this meeting. I mean I can just take the bus, the train, or I can drive over. These folks meet every Tuesday at the Cambridge Innovation Center. Just their blurb, Code for Boston is to provide a center of gravity for grassroots community driven civic innovation in the greater Boston area.

Our work includes building apps, community organizing, policy initiatives, qualitative research and more. We hope that volunteers of all types will join the community. We can't wait to meet you. And actually, my cousin is a member of this group and she's a regular participant. So hopefully we'll be able to facilitate, maybe transitioning this group to becoming an ALS, and getting some more involvement. Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. Thank you. This is actually part of a very large project called Code for America, which is actually spread around the world. And unfortunately, I don't think Joly is on the call, but he did a fantastic streaming from New York about a week or two ago, where he had people from Code for Mexico, Code for Jamaica, Code for Germany.

And he actually showed really good best practices of humanitarian coding and civil, and civic engagement coding.

Really good, great stuff. So I'll try to share that link, and maybe the best place we can pop that into is Eduardo's newsletter.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yeah, that's great. So this is Garth. So I'm just trying to figure out a best night to meeting with them. We've had some major renovations to our house, based on the terrible winter last year, and I have to go pick up some parts possibly tomorrow night so they can be installed Wednesday morning.

So if I don't make it to that meeting tomorrow night, I'll make the one the week after, and then I'll have a more formal write up. And like I said, I don't need any funding for this at the moment. Judith put into the chat, she's in DC doing outreach to DC Legal Hackers. They're part of a larger group called Legal Hackers.

It's unfortunate that the word hack and hacking has just completely obtained a kind of negative connotations, where the original intent of hacking is completely, you know, safe and just out of curiosity. It's become a criminal thing, so maybe we can recapture that terminology.

Anyway, Glenn, you still have your hand up. Do you have any further comments?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I have one event. It's our first symposium that's coming in on the 24th. It's not going to be live streamed, which is a little strange, but that's a whole other story, but the discussions will be recorded and posted afterwards. And I will probably work with Joly and actually, as a delayed [inaudible] chat.

It's a great forum we're having. We're looking at 90 people, so it's the Internet Society for Canada, one of our ALSs. And I see Joly is onboard, and I just want to mention. Joly, if you can put the link on that Code for America session you did recently, that would be great into the box. The one that you filmed at 9th Street. Thank you.

JOLY MCFIE: Okay, I will do that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks Joly.

GARTH BRUEN: Any further comments Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. Next we have Eduardo with the newsletter. Go ahead Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: What am I supposed to say here? I think the newsletter at the end of last month, and I sent a note to the list for people to send me information about what they're doing, you know, what do they want to see in the newsletter? So I'm planning to get one out by the end of this month. [Inaudible] So please, send me your information, anything you want. And pictures, [inaudible], something that looks nice and interacting, you know, please. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much Eduardo. This is Garth Bruen again. And you can see, scrolling through there, the last newsletter.

JOLY MCFIE: I'm sorry Eduardo. This is Joly for the record. What is the deadline to put stuff into the newsletter? And do you want photographs, or just a little text? What do you want?

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. Joly, if you send me photographs, if you point me to a place where I can pick them up, and a couple of lines, you know, and I can just put a link for people who are interested, they can go there. I mean, the idea of the newsletter is to [inaudible] and interest, and us to have something you can read and just find [inaudible].

And you know, lots of graphics and stuff. But the deadline to [inaudible] before, but I can do things the day before. It takes me no more than

two hours to put this stuff together, as long as I have the information before the end of the month. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you Eduardo and Joly. So the next item, comparing ATLAS objectives with At-Large CWG work, Ariel Liang, the link there, created a sheet with all of the different implementations items, and there is a chart there, with recommendations highlighted in yellow. The sheet is not completely fold in, it is linked. Is Ariel on the call?

No, that's okay. I will ask her, at some point, to give us a rundown of what this sheet is meant to, what information it's meant to capture, and how people can go about adding to it, unless somebody on staff that we have on the call right now knows about it.

No? Okay. That's fine. We can talk about this more in Dublin. It will be a useful effort. Okay, next agenda item. Okay, NomCom selection of new member ALAC... So in reviewing the agenda, for today's call, this is the first thing I've seen about this. So my first question is, who added this item to the call agenda?

Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, I added it because I got a phone call. He's the chair of ISOC Canada. And he gave me a shout asking me, he said he was appointed as the NomCom ALAC person for North America. So I didn't see any official stuff. I just want to mention that as a side. He was asking a lot of questions about what is ALAC, because he actually applied to be a

director, and he got rejected, and he was the former commissioner of CRTC, so interesting he actually mentioned that.

Very interesting guy, but that's the only source I had is a phone call from him. So to be honest, it may not be official, maybe they changed their mind. I'm just giving everyone the heads up on that call.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay Glenn. This is Garth. I read his biography. You know, the guy is very informed, very great experience. But my question here is, where is the information flowing in this stuff? And is he the actual selection? Eduardo, you have your hand up.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think Heidi was before me.

GARTH BRUEN: Sorry Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think Heidi has her hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. This is Heidi. So I've been in touch with the NomCom support staff, and they've informed me that the due diligence for the NARALO NomCom person has not yet been seated. So I would think that, you know, maybe there is some information that's not quite correct here.

I would advise that we wait until the official announcement.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Alan Greenberg, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was going to say something in the same light. There has certainly been no announcement, and I can tell you from history, normally appointees are asked not to release any information and make it public before the announcement. So I cannot explain what's going on here. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Louie Houle, go ahead.

LOUIE HOULE: Neither can I because it's not official, and I feel kind of uncomfortable to see that on the agenda today. It's going to be announced later.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right, this is Garth. So just as a point of order, maybe we can remove this from the agenda, and I think, in general, I think we probably need how to have... We need to know, you know, what the process is. I mean, the process happens behind closed doors, announcements are made later. Clearly as somebody comes in, you know, especially if the selection is made by the NomCom of somebody outside of our known community, that person is going to need to talk to current members of

the community, to get some information, to get some very basic information.

Because we all know, you know, having gone through this process before, that coming onboard to ICANN and then going to the meeting, and sort of the crush of all of the information and everything else, it's difficult. It's not easy. So maybe we can figure out some way to, you know, to cushion the blow.

So all right, just remove, just from the meeting agenda, and so we still have Eduardo and Alan have their hand up. Eduardo or Alan, do you either have additional comments?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a question. [Inaudible] is the appointee that will replace [inaudible], you have replaced Alan in the ALAC?

GARTH BRUEN: Presumably, that would be the case.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, all right. So just in the future, I mean, this isn't going to happen again for another two years, but in the future, we have to come to a consensus about the order of information released on this stuff so we're not scrambling or making any kinds of mistakes. Okay.

Moving on, the next item is the scheduling and orientation of the webinar for new ALSs. This is a staff item. Anybody from staff want to talk about the new ALS? I know it was mentioned in the action items.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Garth. This is Silvia. This is related to the action items. The stuff we have a webinar to welcome new ALSs and provide all the basic information on how to participate and this would be showed right after, sometime after Dublin, between November and December. So we had already two webinars. One formal and they were very welcomed.

And so there would be another one late in the fall. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much. That's good news. So moving on to community updates. The technology taskforce, Glenn... Somebody is trying to speak in? Yes?

No? Okay. So Glenn, I know Judith is only on text, so go ahead Glenn, take the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, we had another call this morning actually. It has been a fantastic group, and we are always inviting people to join the technical taskforce. We had an update on a number of tools, one of which is the tool that Josh has been working on, which is the new app that it will be, you know, beta testing for Dublin. We're also working on different, the ATLAS II recommendations that we're working on.

So if anybody wants to join the team... Sorry. Josh is the IP person with ICANN. And so they have been actually working on two things. One is working with us on the captioning features, which Judith can talk about if she's online. And the second thing is we were working on the beta testing.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Judith are you on voice? Are you able to speak to the captioning?

It does not seem like that's the case. I mean, if you want to give us a text update, or send a link, Judith, that's fine too. Outreach and engagement also to Glenn. Go ahead Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. This is a relatively new group that's operating. They're having difficulty getting people to agree to a Doodle time recently. And I'm not sure if we will have another meeting before Dublin. But I've been selected as the North American outreach person. So each region is coming up with a strategy and sharing their best practices.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much. So in terms of the next item, ALS criteria taskforce, and my name is there and I just want to talk about this in general. Had an offline conversation with Evan, I'm not going to speak for him, and some other folks about this. And I and some other folks had, we had a general problem with this concept of the criteria.

We don't necessarily feel like this is the best use of our resources. And I certainly understand that it's important, and I know Alan Greenberg has discussed the importance of this. I just think that we have to be very, very careful in proceeding with this type of effort, because I see it as a, I don't know, a project of narrowing the gate.

And I don't want to narrow the gate for entry of ALSs. And somebody may look at it differently and say that this is an effort to, you know, sharpen participation, and at least lay out what the expectations are before somebody gets involved, so we don't we get into a problem of having a bunch of ALSs that don't participate, don't know how to participate, or don't fit into what we consider the model.

And I'm going to go to Glenn and then open the floor up to other comments about this.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. Hi. It's Glenn again. We've been looking for NARALO representation on this ALS committee, and I know what Garth and Evan said, but if people don't have a strong opinion and their interest in participating in the... I'm the ALAC rep, but we do also need other representation from NARALO. I'm appealing to anyone in the group who is interested to have a different opinion.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yes. This is Garth. I'm certainly not trying to dissuade anybody from participating in this work whatsoever. I'm just discussing what are my particular reservations. So moving on to, I mean, Glenn, do you have

any specific comments about the criteria beyond trying to recruit additional members?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I think it's well intended. I think one can look at it in a jaundice eye, and I don't have that same impression. I know your opinion and Evan's, and I'm giving it an opportunity to... And I don't... You know, it's not big brother, I think. But I think there, we have criteria. And in what we've had is on the issues, especially since we've analyzed or attendance rate in the last year. So I think there is a need to have some criteria in involvement.

So I think we need to tighten up some of the procedures, and so I'm keeping an open mind.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you Glenn. Gordon, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

GORDON CHILLCOTT:

Thank you Garth. Gordon Chillcott for the record. Look, part of the objective of this thing, really as I can see is to, as somebody put it, sharpen the participation, and get more people involved and for example, in these monthly calls. I'm not sure that laying down criteria for membership is the way to go.

Let's, and getting people involved in this thing is hardly an education exercise. Look when Evan first brought us in here, he was pretty brutally honest with myself, and Miles, and a couple of other people

over several lunches. This is not always easy to do if you are recruiting an organization, but I think a little, I think a certain amount of approach by us to these new ALSs is probably about the best way to go.

People tend to get lost in the forest and just not bother to come. I think it's what we need to do is be proactive ourselves and trying to get these people involved, simply by talking to them. Thanks Garth.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. This is Garth again. I mean, just from my experience, especially Glenn and I, we were involved in a very aggressive recruiting campaign, and we got some great groups out of it, but there was also some pushback, you know. Some people had difficulties with the participation and didn't really see, you know, a good end to it. I mean, I suppose...

I mean I can compare it to, you know, I can show you how to make a sandwich, but when you're done making the sandwich you can actually eat the sandwich. I feel like in this space, in the ICANN At-Large space, you know, we try and show people how to build this particular thing, but then very often, they're not able to use it once they've built it.

You know, in some cases they're told they can't use it. In some cases it does not work the way that they thought it was going to work. So I don't know. We're in a strange area sometimes where we can't really guarantee any particular outcome, we can't guarantee any outcome, regardless of how much effort people put into it. I mean, speaking from personal experience, put a lot of effort into some specific thing that never went anywhere.

So anyway. Okay. Moving on. So we still have to talk about it. I'm not saying we don't talk about it, we keep talking about it. All right. Moving on to capacity building. Glenn, Eduardo, any specific comments about capacity building?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I don't have... You know, what about capacity building? We're doing... At the end, we talk about the Internet Day and I talk about something like that.

GARTH BRUEN: The Internet Day? We can talk about... Do you want to talk about that now?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sure, I can talk about that now because we're doing some capacity building. The Internet Day is really celebrated twice a year, but we're going to celebrate it on the 29th of October this year. And the other ALS in Puerto Rico, managed by [inaudible]... We put together both of our organizations, and we are spreading out this Internet Day and we have about 70 organizations that will be celebrating some kind of Internet event in their organization.

They are several universities, [inaudible] several public and private schools and so forth. And so there we plant to talk about Internet. We're probably going to talk about governance, we're going to talk about IPv6, or you know, anything really what it has to do with the Internet. And so, you know, one point in the day and we're going to get together, and I sent a note to staff because I need two Adobe Connects, to connect everyone between 11:00 hour here, 11 AM to I think it's 12:30.

So we can get all together and we're going to have a main presentation about what is the future of the Internet. You know, what is the vision we have toward the future. We don't want to talk about security at that time, because you know, we want everybody [inaudible] with the Internet, not thinking about how bad it is to get in.

So and the idea here is, you know, this is one of the main events that we're doing in Puerto Rico, to start building momentum towards the meeting that we have with ICANN next year. We want to start building up database. We want to build up the communication channels. We want to build up our membership in our ALSs, and both of them, and we have other events coming up next year that really what we want, we want to get a big group of people in Puerto Rico to go to visit the ICANN meeting, when they come here, and meet, and see how many people we can engage, you know, with ICANN work and many other organizations will participate there. Thank you so much.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you Eduardo. All right. Next we have our ALAC overview, and for that we have either Alan, Eduardo, or Glenn. I haven't heard from Alan yet, so maybe you can jump in Alan if there is anything ALAC wise you want to discuss.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not sure there is anything particularly to discuss. There is an awful lot going on. The statement on accountability was submitted. There have been several other statements that have been submitted recently, and there are a few that are currently in the process of being drafted. One on the use of country codes as future TLDs.

I can check what the other ones are, if you give me a moment.

GARTH BRUEN: So Alan, you're talking about, are you talking about the cross community working group?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm talking about a lot of, several cross community working groups...

GARTH BRUEN: You mentioned a specific report, I think.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, the CCWG on accountability, the statement has been submitted. There is currently an ongoing CCWG on the use of country and territory

names of top level domains. There is a comment that is outstanding on that that is being currently drafted. Maureen Hilyard is working on that.

There is, we're looking at Arabic script statement. There is a statement on the use of auction funds that is currently being drafted. Eduardo is the main pen holder on that one. And there is a preliminary report on future rounds of new gTLDs, where Olivier is the penholder. Let me put the page that points to current statements in the chat, people can look at it.

There is an awful lot going on, and of course, we're furiously preparing for the Dublin meeting, which is going to be a rather busy meeting, partly due to the accountability issues. And parts due to just the normal work that we're doing there. So an awful lot going on, and we welcome people on the ALAC call next Tuesday to hear more about it.

GARTH BRUEN:

So, this is Garth. You mentioned that Eduardo is the penholder on the auction proceeds discussion paper. This was the topic of the high interest topic panel session at the last meeting. So Eduardo, has any of this come out of that particular panel? Is any of that useful?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Well the main thing is, this is Eduardo for the record. The main thing here is that what has been pulled out there is a discussion paper that explains about the hot topic, you know, the process, the meeting of the high topic interest in the two panels, deal of a summary of what happened there, and you know, basically the whole thing that

[inaudible] where it is now, and what is being asked is, you know, why the [inaudible] about the discussion that has happened.

And that's just saying that, and preparing, you know, the statement with the help of Carlton. And we will have something this week to start looking at it. And that's basically what it is. And basically what they're asking a discussion paper is put together a drafting team to create a charter for a cross community working group to set up some kind of framework as to do what to do this, you know, what [inaudible].

There are many ideas. And basically, you know, they're proposing to put up a framework first, and then working on this framework and some protocols, develop the idea that will [inaudible] in this. And you know, some of the things that I'm saying is this drafting team, is not clearly stated there.

You know, we want to make sure that the drafting team is also composed of, you know, SOs and ACs that are interested in working in the drafting team, as well as in the charter team. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you Eduardo. Was that your full comment that you had your hand up for?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Are you talking about me?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, you had your hand up a minute ago, when I called on you anyway.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I didn't put my hand, no. But anyhow, that's what I have to say.
[Inaudible]

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. Alan has his hand up, but Glenn needs to put in a comment in Judith's absence. So I'm going to go to Glenn first, and then Alan. Go ahead Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks Alan, thanks Garth. Very quickly, it was an item that went by really quickly. The pilot project for the three captioning events. We created a nice promotional brochure on the event, and why it's a value to have captioning. So do you have any particular working group or session in Adobe that you believe that would be benefitting from it?

We work with Silvia on creating a series of survey questions. It's quite important for us to find out what people think of it, and the value, and to give feedback to the community because you're spending money to have this done. So there is going to, the only three pilots, so we appreciate if anybody wants to participate, to join the working group, and just your idea for a session that will be of value. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Glenn. Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Yeah, just to complete, as Eduardo said, the current document is an outcome of a number events, or a number of occurrences, including those high interest sessions, and this is just the first step in what will be a multistep process in deciding in the community making recommendations of how to use the auction funds.

As Eduardo said, the next step is a drafting team to draft the charter for the cross community working group that will be looking at the actual subject. All of these groups are open to participation by anyone who is interested, so you just need to speak up. As I said, there is a lot going on, we're in the process of....

Sorry, I've lost my chain of thought. The transition is for... Next year's leadership meeting is going to be done over the next little while. And as some of you know, we're also looking at the liaisons. So there is lots of activity going on, lots of action in terms of both in consensus calls, and that we encourage people to participate. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

All right. Thank you very much Alan. Are there any further comments on the approved ALAC statements or the in draft ALAC statements? No? So then just quickly, public comment requests which ALAC has decided not to submit comments. This is on the country codes within some of the new gTLDs. I'm imagining this is the ability to create a, you know, second level domain country code within these gTLDs, and ALAC is passing on any kind of comment. Is this correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: We made a decision quite a while ago, that we support, we do not see any harm in the use of Canada or United States or Austria as second level domains. There is literally untold numbers already in the existing domains, and we support that. So we have made a global statement, but we haven't commented on the individual ones, no.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. I do not believe that either Olivier or León are on the call. The next issues are IANA transition and accountability issues. Does anybody else wish to speak to IANA transition or IANA accountability before we move on?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan speaking. I can, if you want to, take the time to do it.

GARTH BRUEN: Go for it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Transition, we're passed the stage we have, we're actively working on it within ICANN. The coordinating group has published their paper, and is evaluating comments at this point. And the comments, in general, I haven't read them all, but in general are moderately in support of it. So I don't see that as a particular problem. There have been a number of very particular, very small issues raised that will have to be resolved.

But that one, it looks like it's going ahead. The accountability process on which the names transition relies on, and will not be done without suitable accountability, is more problematic. There is... A draft report is out, and has received a large number comments. Among those comments were those from At-Large where we said we would support the report, or the proposal, subject to a number of particular changes, but it's not our preference that we would prefer something far more lightweight than what is currently be proposed.

What is currently being proposed is a major change in ICANN structure and it violates the rule that many of us learnt as engineers and designers, to make as few changes as possible at the same time at once. The more changes you make simultaneously, the more [inaudible] and potential problem you have.

The Board has put in a very substantial comment, which essentially says that as well, with some specific implementations. There is going to be a face to face meeting later this week, Friday and Saturday in Los Angeles, that was scheduled very short notice, where we will be looking at the overall set of comments and including those of the Board. And it's not at all clear how this is going to play out.

There is some indication that some people believe that the current proposal, if sent to Washington, will not get approval of the US Department of Commerce and Congress. There are other people that say, of course it will. So you need to know who to believe, and which way to go.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much Alan. I see Heidi in the chat says, “Alan, I will be able to cover these items.” Heidi, what are you talking about?

ALAN GREENBERG: Maybe Heidi can’t speak.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. We’ll move on. We also have, within there, we have the monthly report templates supplied by Dev, in the technology taskforce. We have the At-Large review appointment, At-Large review working party 2015 through 2019. Are there any status updates from that? Gordon, you have your hand up. Go ahead, Gordon.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Sorry, that’s a finger problem.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. You’re giving me a digital finger? Okay. Any comments about the At-Large review working party? Is anybody here on the At-Large review working party? Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. This is Eduardo. You know, I’m supposed to be a part of this committee, but you know, I haven’t heard that much conversation, discussion about what we’re supposed to be doing. I really, I think Hong, [inaudible] but to tell you the truth, I haven’t heard anything for a while on it.

So really, I don't know what's going on.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Heidi has her hand up now. Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, hi. This is Heidi for the record. Just to let everyone know, or just to remind everyone, the review was postponed by a few months. So that's why you may have not heard so much. Holly and the staff that are supporting it at this stage, have been working, and there will be a meeting in Dublin. And then at that point, movement will be continuing at a faster pace. So you will start hearing about it on a regular basis.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. This is Garth. Go ahead Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, no, I just, this proposed timeline that is in the Wiki [inaudible] I guess, and also, you know, I'm glad to hear what Heidi said. Because I was really afraid I was missed out from the work. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Heidi, a further comment?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. I'm just in the process of putting my hand down and thanking Eduardo. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Wonderful. All right. So, moving on to any other business. I just have one quick question before I go into any specifics. In terms of the Dublin meeting, in terms of what NARALO is going to be discussing at its session in Dublin, does anybody have anything that they want to put on the table in Dublin? Anything they are concerned about?

You can, let's talk about it here in the meeting, or you know, send it to the thread, or send it to me before that. So Gisella said, "Garth, Heidi was referring to the point Olivier and León were to cover." And what were those points Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. That was referring to those points that Olivier was supposed to speak to, and he is not on the call. So Alan was going to address those, but now that I have the floor, if I can put it in a possible suggestion for the NARALO in Dublin?

GARTH BRUEN: Please do.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just to let everyone know also that the fiscal year 17 budget process is going to start, and there will be some discussions in Dublin. So one item that you may wish to consider placing is whether NARALO, which is to put in a fiscal year 17 proposal for a general assembly, which you'll be having a meeting in fiscal year 17. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Heidi. This is Garth. Can we put that down as an action item to add that to the agenda for the Dublin call? Much appreciated. Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sorry, that's an old hand.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right, very good. Okay. So then if you don't have anything in mind right now for Dublin, and but you come up with something after the call, please send it to the list, send it to me. Make sure that your voice gets heard, very important.

Also, under any other business, we've got this ongoing questions about, in terms of ICANN structure within, they comply with compliance within transparency and accountability. Tried to get Alan Grogan on the last two calls, he was unable to join the call again.

So I see that since we put these items in here, somebody put in, face to face meeting schedule for Dublin. Now I'm guessing staff put that item in. Is that generally about our meeting? Or are you saying that Alan Grogan will be present at that meeting?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Garth, this is Silvia Vivanco. I added the agenda item on the face to face Dublin meeting, just because we have [inaudible] on Wednesday 23rd,

we received the agenda, and we have to send it on time for translation services. So I just wanted to highlight that we need to receive this information from you.

[CROSSTALK] a couple of items for the agenda, but we need to discuss among yourselves what you would like us to post. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. So this is Garth Bruen. So today is the 21st, Wednesday is the 23rd. So we've got some of the current items that are on the table anyway, we want to talk about a GA for a future fiscal year. So anything else before we finalize that call for translation? Get that on the table. Glenn, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I just, in response to that item, it's because I added that to the agenda because he couldn't make this call today, I guess because of the schedule. I just wanted to highlight that as a potential, if he is in Dublin.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. And I will make this clear to him is that, he responded to my request to appear on this call, suggesting that we quote/unquote touch base in Dublin. I don't want to meet with compliance privately anymore, and I will let you know that in the past I have met with compliance privately. I do not want to have any more private meetings with compliance.

I don't think that's acceptable. I want to make sure that any meetings that we have with compliance are in public, are in transcribed. And we also don't want any presentations, we just want to have a discussion. And I will make that clear to him and I will invite him to be at our meeting in Dublin.

Okay. So with that said, Eduardo you have your hand up. Go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, I have a question about the Dublin meeting. I received a mail that said there was going to be some kind of webinar training the 17th. That's Saturday, right? And you know, I would like some clarification on that. Is that going to happen? Or is that for special arrangement? I don't know. If somebody could explain that, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Any clarifications for Eduardo's question from staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I didn't quite get the very first part of your question, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I received a mail from staff, that there is going to be on Saturday, September 17th. Is that correct or am I wrong?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, for all current ALAC members, there is going to be a full day of ALAC meetings starting at 9:45. They're called the ALAC strategy and working sessions, and they're part of the fiscal year 16 special requests. So please, everyone who is going to Dublin, if you have not yet looked, the, at least the draft agendas are on the Wiki pages.

So here, I'm putting the link in to the Saturday one, and you can see those meetings. We are in continuous discussion on finalizing the agendas, the ALAC call tomorrow will, I believe, make good progress on that. And then also there will be, on the Friday, for incoming and continuing ALAC members, there will be a development session. And the ALT is in discussion with the facilitator for that, and that should be posted, I would say, in the next week or two.

EDUARDO DIAZ: The reason why I'm asking Heidi is because I didn't know about this, and I mean, I arrive Saturday in the afternoon. I didn't know about that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We'll need to rearrange that. Eduardo, again, in my memory, it has been announced on several of the past ALAC calls about these sessions. And definitely it was discussed in BA. All of the fiscal year 16 approved projects.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. No problem. It didn't synchronize with the dates that I was supposed to be there. The ICANN constituency travel sends me. But anyhow, I was curious. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So you're not the only one who I've heard that from. So okay, let me contact you offline and we'll sort that out.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you.

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Hello Garth?

GARTH BRUEN: Hello. Who is that?

TOM LOWENHAUPT: This is Tom Lownhaupt.

GARTH BRUEN: Tom, yes. Go ahead Tom. Alan is in front of you, so...

TOM LOWENHAUPT: I'm on the phone so I can't see the queue. I'll go next if it's inappropriate.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Alan and then Tom. Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I just wanted to clarify that the Saturday session is for ALAC members and RALO chairs. That's all we could get approval for. But anyone who is in that category should have... All ALAC members should have received from constituency travel, an arrival date of Friday. If you didn't, please explicitly tell Heidi. And chairs should have an arrival day of Thursday because there are other meetings on Friday for chairs.

So just to be clear.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you Alan. Go ahead Tom.

TOM LOWENHAUPT:

Yes. I just wanted to bring up some project that we're involved with here with [inaudible] NYC and the dot NYC top level domain. And I think it's perhaps an issue for further discussion, of future discussion. But what we've been trying to do is we've been trying to get some WHOIS information from the city as to their registrants, dot NYC names. And they've been...

And the initial reason was that we wanted to see geographically if they were being purchased or allocated to individuals who are geographically, in a geographically equitable manner. And the city has refused to provide us with any information of that nature. And we're seemingly heading towards a court case with them on that.

And we [inaudible] it would be, the information would be very useful in our connecting with the individual purchasers of Internet names, of the 80,000 in New York, approximately 40,000 indicated that they were individual users. And that we wanted to have a means to connect with those people.

And appraise them of issues that relate to ICANN that might affect them. So we think there are a number of reasons why we should have this information about owners of dot NYC domain names. And as I said, we're not getting cooperation from the city. And I don't know exactly how NARALO, or At-Large, or ICANN for that matter fit in within this, but I just wanted to put it on the record here for that purpose.

GARTH BRUEN:

Tom, this is Garth. Thank you for bringing this up. Can you give me a brief on that via email? I want to be looped in on this discussion, if you don't mind.

TOM LOWENHAUPT:

Absolutely, I'll do that. And I hate to rush you off, but my phone is on yellow and I've got to run. So thank you so very much for listening.

GARTH BRUEN:

We've only got two minutes left anyway, Tom. Thank you. Okay, so before we wrap up the call, does anybody else have any further comments? Any other questions, issues not mentioned in the agenda so far?

JOLY MCFIE:

This is Joly. Just... Just saying I've posted a link into the list since we're ending the call, where Tom wrote an article about this last week, and you can see it. And the other thing is that tomorrow, September 22, is one web day. I'll shall be asking, writing an email, asking everybody to sort of Tweet out about the web day, so that's going to the list. Okay.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you Joly. And if anybody has heard of any of the rumors on the Internet that the world is going to end on Wednesday the 23rd, we'll just have to wait and see about that.

Any other comments? Any other questions? Any other issues?

Seeing none, I will adjourn the call. Thank you very much and email me your items or send them to the list, the NARALO list for the Dublin meeting. And I will see you all later. Thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]