

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the At-Large Ad-Hoc New Meeting Strategy Drafting Team, taking place Thursday the 20<sup>th</sup> of August 2015 at 15:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Remmy Nweke, Yasuichi Kitamura, Maureen Hilyard, Nkem Nweke, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Beran Gillen, Alan Greenberg, and Sébastien Bachollet.

We have apologies from Vanda Scartezini, Satish Babu, Eduardo Diaz, Rafid Fatani, and Gisella Gruber.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Kim Carlton, and myself Terri Agnew.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes.

Thank you very much and back over to you Beran.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you Terri. Sorry you couldn't get me on the first call. It's been raining here, so the lines are a bit bad. Hello everyone. Thank you for joining this call. We're running a little bit late, about four minutes or so, no thanks to me. Okay. On today's call, we're going to look through action items on the last meeting, and then we'll have a short update on the different AC SO strategies, Heidi or Terri if you could please get the link ready, perhaps put it on the screen, the link that we shared the last time, the page where all the SOs and ACs are putting up their strategies for the meeting B strategy.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

If you could check out on that point. We also have an update, hopefully from Eduardo who I can see has sent apologies, but we will still discuss our strategy and how to get it up there, on the same page as the ACs and SOs. And we'll also have an update on the subgroup for the last meeting B.

In the last meeting, we did discuss that we'll have a subgroup created, to be led by Vanda. So I did note that Vanda sent her apologies by the mailing list as well as the Wiki. So perhaps someone who has been involved on that level will be able to give us some sort of an update. Maybe Dev, I don't know who can step in Vanda's shoes.

We'll get an update from Maureen and we'll discuss the next meeting, which hopefully we'll get a lot of updates from the staff. Heidi has promised that we'll be getting hot off the press updates from Istanbul on that meeting. I look forward to that meeting, which will be in the next couple of weeks. So let's just get started on the action items.

Terri, could you just give us an update on the action items from the previous meeting? I don't think, I think it was just a couple of items, if I'm not mistaken.

TERRI AGNEW:

Certainly. I am showing a small subgroup to be formed mainly [inaudible] LAC region, to start strategizing for the first B meeting in Latin America. This group will be headed by Vanda.

And the second action I show is the 3<sup>rd</sup> of September meeting, will be held at 15:30 UTC with Maureen already noted as an apology.

---

BERAN GILLEN: Okay, all right. I guess it wasn't, I did remember there were only a couple of action items. Did we manage to get that subgroup up and running? Terri?

TERRI AGNEW: I have not seen it up and running at this time.

BERAN GILLEN: Okay. Does anyone want to...? Maureen or Dev, I guess Dev has just written in the chat, he has no idea of Vanda's subgroup for that meeting B. Okay, what we discussed in the last meeting was that we were going to create a subgroup, because at least we know that the third meeting will be held in the LAC region. So we agreed that we were going to create some sort of small group of people mainly from that region, and come up with an outreach strategy for the first...

Well, depending on when we do choose to have that outreach for the meeting B, but I think... I don't know whether we did get a consensus, but we did largely agree that we would have one day for outreach rather than sitting across the week. So we were going to create that subgroup to actually get more people involved from that region and come, start coming up with plans on how to do outreach for that region, for that meeting B, which will be coming up in June. That was the plan.

So does anyone [inaudible] or have any updates on that? Maureen? Yasuichi? Alan, I know is not with us, because Sébastien, no meeting

---

about the subgroup or whether it was created, or what actually happened after the meeting.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Beran, this is Maureen for the record. Yes, we I guess we had agreed that Vanda's group, that Vanda would actually coordinate a subgroup, and it's actually appropriate, of course, for her to do so, because the meeting is going to be held in the Latin American region. But [inaudible] and sort of keeping this, if I might just give [inaudible]... update issues that is really important that this group meet, and we can actually sort of like address in the programming issues, in a more direct way.

So that the subgroup is actually sort of like quite important and Vanda's presence in actually coordinating this, and having this dealing with it will be really, really good. But yet a little bit difficult when two key people Vanda and Eduardo, aren't here at the moment. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Okay. Thank you Maureen for that update. My line is not very clear, I missed out on most of what you said. So I have, I wanted to stop you, but I didn't be rude and interrupt you. But the line wasn't very clear on my end accept briefly. I only heard a little bit at the end about Eduardo and Vanda something, I couldn't really hear much of what you said.

But perhaps we could move on to the next item, and then I'll let you help me set it up on the AC and perhaps I'll be able to come back to it. In the last meeting, we discussed the different AC SO strategies. And decided that we were going to sort of not follow this trend, which was

---

talking more business as usual and following the standard template of what we actually do at a normal ICANN meeting.

So I believe in this meeting, we should start discussing how to get our strategy formulated in some way, because we've been sort of just like coming up with ideas through this think tank, and through discussions, and bring [inaudible], we haven't really actually put pen to paper, and we need to actually start doing that. Terri or Heidi can help with that page up, the page where the SOs, I believe the last time we checked, SSAC and GNSO were the ones that had something up on what they plan to do for their meeting.

So if we can have that page up staff, that would be great, and then we would be able to see where we would start coming in and start putting our strategy together, putting pen to paper. And perhaps having the drafting team, which would be lead me to my next on the agenda. Perhaps have a drafting team put something together for the page. Terri?

TERRI AGNEW: This is Terri. So I'm trying to locate that link, I apologize.

BERAN GILLEN: I'm sorry Terri. What was that?

TERRI AGNEW: I'm still trying to locate that page, Beran. I apologize for the delay.

---

BERAN GILLEN: That's fine. Thank you Terri. [Inaudible]. Thank you Maureen. I see your message on the AC. I believe [inaudible] was also [inaudible] hear what you said. So it is important that Vanda and Eduardo are here, because they can lead for that subgroup and for that region. They need to sort of help us find that way around.

And Dev, do you... Where you in the LAC? Do you want to comment? Is there anything you want to add to this or comment on any point? From the LAC perspective, perhaps.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. This is Dev. Can you hear me?

BERAN GILLEN: Yes, we can.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks. I don't think... Unfortunately, this is not my first conference call to attend this new meeting strategy working party. So only having attended the meeting in Buenos Aires, the face to face Buenos Aires meeting, so I don't have that, any knowledge of the subgroup of Vanda's subgroup, I should say, of this outreach activities. I chair the outreach and engagement subcommittee though.

I think it would be interested [inaudible] looking, and Maureen is now our, with Maureen being a co-chair of that outreach and engagement

---

group, can be the bridge between the two working groups and trying to suggest ideas for outreach and so forth. So I do have some ideas, but I'll wait until we come to that point in the agenda. Thanks.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Dev. This is Beran for the record. While we wait for Terri to get that page up and running. Perhaps we can, we can't get the updates on the subgroup on the LAC meeting B. Perhaps I know we're going to get, spend a lot of time putting ideas together on the think tank update, and I think it is there we should actually agree on what sort of strategy we can have.

Time is not on our side. We need to move a little bit faster and come up with something concrete, and perhaps putting pen to paper. So welcome aboard Alan. And so if you can probably perhaps get a think tank update from Maureen, we can get back to the AC SO meeting strategy page, as soon as Terri gets it up.

I see Sébastien's hand is up and Kim's hand is up. Sébastien, you have the floor.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much. Sébastien Bachollet speaking. Just to tell you that the subgroup for LAC B meeting just started with some mail. There is nothing to feedback to this group yet, but the group start to exchange some ideas. And I am sure that the next call on there will be able to come with some idea of where we are on this subgroup. Thank you.

---

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you Sébastien. That does help us. [Inaudible] started with the mailing list discussion. So hopefully that by the next meeting, by the time we get some updates from the staff regarding the structure, as well as the updates from the subgroup, we'll improve that, looking a bit more interesting. Kim? You have the floor.

Kim? Are you there? This is Beran for the record.

Perhaps Kim is having some difficulties speaking. I know he was having some problems with Adobe, so he came on the AC. Kim, if you are having difficulties, perhaps you might want to type out what you want to add to the discussion, or if you have a question. You can type it out on the AC and I can read it out.

Okay. Great. Terri has meeting strategy work space up. I hope everyone can see it. And we have scrolling abilities, so we can look at it and see exactly what we have down here. Okay. Terri, I don't think this is the page. Okay.

TERRI AGNEW: I apologize. I'm actually getting the page posted right now. I apologize for the inconvenience.

BERAN GILLEN: Okay. All right, great. That's great. Okay, while we have that going, not to waste much time, okay. There we go, and Kim has posted something on the AC. Whatever plan we have, must include a deliberate plan to involve the media, if we truly want to achieve great results, because media is a [inaudible] stakeholder in reaching out.



---

I completely agree, and I think that will come right in, once we get, Maureen, I believe that was one of the points that Maureen brought up, that you should have media involved, if only go out for our outreach session. We should have the media, the new stakeholder, as well as the TV involved in our session. I could just move this over to Maureen to give us an update, because that discussion in the think tank, while we wait for Terri to bring up the schedule for the different AC and SO sessions for meeting B. Maureen, you have the floor.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Beran. Can you hear me?

BERAN GILLEN: Yes, we can hear you clearly now.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's great. Okay. I think that, I haven't had any further comment with regards to the think tank. I think that the ideas that have come up already, well that cover a lot of things, it really just depends on the subgroup, and what, and also has to be note in the [inaudible] [wording]. Terri, do you see [inaudible] has there been any idea of where it might be and where...? What...

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I believe that they're going to make an announcement very shortly on where it's going to be, even in Dublin.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. I think then that, you know, [inaudible] and Sébastien has said, there is a, the subgroup that's actually working at the moment, and I would like to be part of that group if possible, to discuss where a possible program to present to the ALAC. I'd like to get Dev, Dev has mentioned that he actually had some ideas and I'd like to hear those. Dev I would like to hear, put them on to the chat would be, on to the [Wiki] space. It would be good if we could hear those as well. Beran, is that possible?

BERAN GILLEN: I'm sorry Maureen, can you run that by me again? My line is horrible. It's raining. Please, I'm sorry. Can you just quickly run that by me again?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I just, sorry. I just thought that we can have Dev's contributions. He said that he might have some, that he would have some ideas to add to the think tank.

BERAN GILLEN: For the outreach? This is Beran for the record.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, this is Heidi. If I can... Beran, if I may? We know that it's going to be in the Latin American or the LACRALO area, meeting B. So perhaps Vanda and Dev could work together on planning, or looking into some possibilities of outreach.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes Heidi, that's what the subgroup that Vanda is going to be coordinating is supposed to be organizing. But unfortunately, Vanda isn't here, so and Sébastien has said that they're still working on it. So I think that, if that group, that group is actually probably quite integral to this whole planning process.

So we do need to get that group together to be a little bit more constructive.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you Maureen. This is Beran for the record. Yes, I do agree, but perhaps, is it...? I know this is the LAC region, meeting B, so they would probably have more of an idea of their region and how to perform outreach. But we can also, in a way, through the think tank, or through this working group or working party, come up some concrete some ideas and put them to paper.

And then perhaps share them with the subgroup, and then have them look at that and see if they can [inaudible] or flesh it out. Like, I like Maureen's idea on going out to the universities and having debates. I like that idea. And also having the newspapers join the events, and

---

perhaps even before we get there, perhaps even have some articles out. Share some newsletters.

These are things that I really like, and these are things that really is in every region, we can do it in every region. So we can perhaps have some sort of general outreach structure, and then have certain areas that the region would want to sort of tweak or tailor make based on their target audience or based on the region that the meeting B is being held. And that's just a suggestion that I have because most of these regions, most of these meetings will be held in either LAC or the African region, if I'm not mistaken.

So we're looking at maybe two unique strategies when it comes to outreach. So perhaps have some sort of generic idea of the outreach, and then each region would have a subgroup that would now flesh it out or tweak it, depending on exactly what they want to achieve from that outreach.

Dev, I see your hand is up. So please go ahead. Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Beran. This is Dev. Well first, I would be happy to work with Vanda on this subgroup, which I haven't heard of before this call. And also as the Chair of the outreach and engagement working group, I think this is something that perhaps, the outreach and engagement working group can try to work on.

Just some thoughts, and I think Beran, I generally agree with you. You know, the outreach to universities, getting the messages out to the

---

media. I think that would be very important. I guess one of my questions is, perhaps staff can answer this, is that with the Fellowship and the Next Gen programs be in place at the meeting B session? Will there be a Fellowship program in operation at the meeting B location?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. So from what I know, and please don't hold me to this, but I believe that the Next Gen group will be there, and I think that for the alumni who will be there doing outreach work, but the incoming group of Fellows will not be at meeting B. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. This is Dev. Okay, so that is interesting. So I guess, well I think what we probably need to do is, and having a person that's not been through the Fellowship program, perhaps the person can look at the types of materials that the Fellowship program uses at least to raise awareness of ICANN and so forth, and listen to all existing outreach materials, start looking to populate, or to target that country where the meeting B will take place.

If you have At-Large structures in that country, that becomes, we can then leverage that and start really working, getting those ALSs involved as well to get outreach targeted messages to this groups that we want to get involved.

So, just one comment I have to make regarding the structure of the ICANN meetings, and it's really in terms of the documentation that goes with ICANN meetings. If you go to like, and this is something I

---

mentioned, let me just bring up the link here. If you look at the schedule for the typical ICANN meeting, you see that, you know, although all meetings are listed, it's not really very clear as to what...

So for example, maybe I should pick an example here, very quickly. My point is, like okay, I'm just picking one at random. Sorry. So if you look at this At-Large capacity building working group, there is no idea what At-Large is, some ideas of what the capacity building working group, what is the work they are doing. Some sort of brief, short description that describes what it is, so that people reading this would understand, okay, this might be interesting for me to attend to, attend this meeting.

And especially when we see At-Large ALAC meeting, and RALO leadership meetings, you know, those acronyms don't mean anything, especially to newcomers. You might as well put X, Y, Z meeting with the GWG meeting, you can make up letters because it's just as meaningless to newcomers.

So I think that, I know this will probably will be a [inaudible] first step but I think we'll, the upcoming face to face meetings we need to update our descriptions for these sections. So that's one key comment. I'll stop there and see if anybody else has any questions or comments.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Dev. This is Beran. So you're saying that basically there needs to be more information on the schedule, so basically give people sort of a bird's eye view of what the session is about so that they're able to make more informed decisions of which sessions to attend. Is this

---

strictly for meeting B or are you saying this is for all three ICANN meetings, including the [inaudible] at the end of the year?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. I think it should be for all of the meetings. It should be for all the meetings.

BERAN GILLEN: Okay, thank you Dev. This is Beran. I guess we'll take note of that. I have Alan, whose hand is up. Alan, you have the floor, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Just a quick question. My recollection, I haven't gone back to a schedule, is on the formal ICANN schedule, not the At-Large one, each session does have a little blurb on who should attend this meeting and what it's about. That's my recollection, and I haven't gone back to look.

So if that is indeed there, maybe we just need to make sure it makes sense. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Silvia, I think you're not on mute. This is Heidi. Silvia?

BERAN GILLEN: Sorry, my line was acting up. I apologize.

---

Heidi, my line was acting... Alan, I apologize, please go ahead, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: I finished. If no one heard me, I'll say it again, but I did finish.

BERAN GILLEN: Please, I'm sorry. My line was going crazy.

ALAN GREENBERG: All I said is, my recollection is that the formal ICANN agenda has a little blurb for each session saying who should attend this and what the main focus is. Now, it may well be that those aren't done particularly well, but my recollection is there is such a session on each one. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you Alan. This is Beran. So Dev, I guess that answers your question, or perhaps you will look into that and see whether that is actually there. Dev is typing something, so I'll give him a chance to type it out on the AC, and then we'll...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Beran, this is Heidi. Sorry, I can vouch that yes, those sections are still there. Each of the staff that create those meetings do write them.



---

BERAN GILLEN: Okay. Thank you Heidi. That's clear. Dev is saying on the AC that this is meeting in some of the At-Large sessions. I guess it's not for all the sessions that this information is available for. Perhaps we do need to start having [inaudible] these sessions before they attend. So perhaps we can actually have that as an action item and look into it.

And Dev says I'm passionate about this so if we can look into it. Heidi, could we have that as an action item, make sure that all of our At-Large sessions do have this information available so we better inform potential people who are being involved in At-Large sessions that we are holding for exactly involved them into.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Terri, could you please take that action item? Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you Heidi. Just moving back one or two agenda points, back to the short of it, we had to move ahead because Terri couldn't, was sort of getting the page up. I hope everyone has scroll capabilities. Keep looking at the strategy, the sessions that have been posted by ACs and SOs, proposed sessions and activities for the different meetings, based on groups.

So we actually have, we have something for the different meetings, meeting A, meeting B, and meeting C. I think I'm scrolling too fast. Where is meeting B? We have, for our meeting B, we have outreach on the day one. We still have the full day outreach. I can't seem to pull up

---

the second part Terri, is it just me or is everyone seeing the rest of the document fine?

TERRI AGNEW: This is Terri. I have synched turned on so everyone can turn it.

BERAN GILLEN: On the meeting B session, I'm only seeing the first spot, which is day one on Monday. Everyone seeing the other days, because I can't, I'm scrolling but all I see is a blank screen. Okay, here we go, it's loading now. Just my connection is a bit slow. So what I wanted to ask was, do we want to leave outreach on day one? Do we agree on actually leaving the whole of day one for just outreach? Or do we want to fit it across the week?

Because from the vibes I was saying in the last meeting that we had a couple of weeks ago, was that going out for outreach every day would be costly, both time wise and financially. So we were thinking maybe perhaps just doing outreach for one day, the first day of the region, and then the rest of the week, we do inter and intra sessions. So did we agree on this? Because as far as I was concerned that was the majority of the agreement, but it wasn't something that was actually cast in stone.

Maureen, perhaps you can shed some light on it. Was it something that we agreed on or are we still discussing?

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Beran. Maureen for the record. What I understanding, we're staying with the one day outreach. And a formal outreach. But that, you know, [inaudible] the other things that happen during the week. But from my understanding, we're looking at one day.

BERAN GILLEN: Thank you Maureen. So it was agreed that the first day would be just for outreach and the rest of the day would be inter or intra work.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think this is [Vanda's?] idea as well.

BERAN GILLEN: Yes, it was Vanda's idea. I do remember her commenting on the Wiki. I see Alan's hand is up. Alan, you have the floor. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Beran. I'm confused. Where did the idea come from that we might be doing outreach on all four days? I don't, maybe I missed one of these meetings, or part of one, but I don't recall that discussion at all. This formal recommendation has always been day one is outreach, and the others are inter and intra.

So maybe I missed something, but I never heard that we're looking at outreach every day. In fact, just the opposite. We have talked on occasion that perhaps only part of day one should be outreach, and

---

parts should be other things, as some of the other groups have proposed.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Alan. This is Beran. This was my suggestion. If you check on the Wiki, I did post something along those lines, that I was suggesting that perhaps on the afternoons across the four days, we would have outreach, right after the sessions, but then when we did discuss it, and we, and then finalized that we probably might not have any funding, then we realized that it would be better to just stick outreach on one whole day, and then perhaps the other days would be inter and intra work.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, sorry. I missed that.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Alan. It was part of the think tank discussion that we had on the Wiki. So I just thought I would bring it up and give people some idea of what we did discuss and what was finally agreed on. Dev does have something on the chat. The challenge of doing outreach is outside events on the one day would be the language.

Yes, that's exactly why we agreed on this subgroup. Perhaps what we would do, it depends on the subgroup's advice, on how we would be able to approach those events, and perhaps prepare information that we would share perhaps in advance of actually running these events. And then take it from there. Because when these subgroups are

---

created, the bulk of the people within these subgroups would be people from this region.

So they would be in a better position, both language wise and with regards to how outreach in these areas, to be able to advise the bigger group, which is on how to actually move ahead with such. Which brings me to my point, which was what Maureen said, which is critical that this group is created as soon as possible, and with churning out ideas on how to get this outreach up and running, in this case for the LAC region.

Alan, you still have your hand up. Is this a new hand?

ALAN GREENBERG:

No, that's a new hand. I think we have an obligation to ask ourselves that if, for instance, we are doing this in a region where a language is spoken that is not the language that most, many of the people that we are bringing in, what are those people going to be doing that day? We're not going to have a cadre of interpreters, unless we can recruit them locally for free, to have, you know, 25 interpreters with 25 different outreach sessions.

So the question is, we're bringing 25 people in for an extra day, at a cost of several hundred dollars per person, what are they going to be doing? I think we really need to understand that as we go forward. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Alan. This is Beran. I'm not sure I'm clear on... What you're saying is that perhaps these regions may not necessarily use the same language. Is that what you're saying?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: No, what I'm saying is that if we are in Latin America, for instance, say in a Spanish speaking place, a small number of the 25 people that we bring into meetings, or 27 or whatever the number is, will speak Spanish. The rest will not. Therefore, if they are going to be productively involved in this outreach process, either we need a host of local interpreters who can work with them, or we have to ask the question, what are they going to be doing that justifies paying the money to have them there?

BERAN GILLEN: That's a very good question. And yes, that is something we would need to know for the subgroup, that would be a challenge on our part, because we haven't really thought about it. That's definitely something the subgroup would have to look at and see how to get around it, or perhaps bring in people for the outreach.

But the whole purpose for the outreach really is going out rather than coming in. But I see Sébastien's hand is up, and [inaudible] hand is up. Sébastien, you have the floor, go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, thank you. Sébastien Bachollet. I do not have the answer, but maybe some part of the answer that, I think that even in those countries, we will have people speaking English. And we can speak to a group and people speaking Spanish or some specific outreach activities, and other in English, or if it's in Caribbean island where they speak also French and people speaking French, Spanish, and English.

---

And I guess in Africa it would be the same between English and French. I do think that there are always is a way to do things on that outreach activity. The question is, how we will organize, and what we want to do. Is it just to talk, or it's to do things, or it's... Once again, I will still have to say that again and again, but what was done in Durban is a good example of one kind of activity for outreach.

It's maybe not the same thing everywhere. One of the reasons it's quite yet difficult to decide what we will do in Latin America, from our knowledge there are two possible country, and one is with no At-Large structure then it's quite different, the other is with, if I am not mistaken, two At-Large structures, and it's a little bit different if we have already some people on the ground, and if we don't have.

The other idea is do things with others, like the government and the ccTLD community, and maybe also with the business community. There are also could be implemented in that region. That was the aim of this area of outreach. I am a little bit further with very interesting link from where the staff has done about scheduled planning on what Cristian is explaining to do.

I really feel that the day of outreach is stolen for doing other activity, and I really think that it's a bad idea because some of us, whatever we want to do will be involved in those activities, and I guess other community as well. And I hope that it's not the end of the game for the GNSO, but regarding what we will do it's, once again it's under discussion, or we will discuss that in this subgroup.

---

I was involved, I am involved in this subgroup. As you know, I know little part of this continent, and I have some knowledge and connections in its way with Vanda and with León, we are starting to work on this subgroup. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Sébastien for that. I see Alan's hand is up. Just before I give the floor to Alan, I just wanted to sort of go through Dev said. He suggested that we can actually have an outreach session and bring them into the ICANN venue. We did discuss this shortly, and he says that was discussed was that the group of outreach would actually go out to the community.

So we will sort of trying to look at moving out of the [ring] rather than staying internally within the venue. Because the rest of the days, if we do have people coming in and there will be groups [inaudible] and the discussion. So the purpose of the outreach was basically to go out and discuss with the community. So that's why we're really not looking at... I don't know if it's still on the table, but from the discussion we had the last time, and what Sébastien suggested was the view of the meeting strategy working group, and they were coming up with this meeting B strategy, was to actually get the community to go out there and engage.

Alan, please go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Two short points. When I raised the language issue it wasn't with the claim that this was an unsurmountable problem. It's



---

just that this is one of those not insignificant details that we do have to include in our planning process. So it's an important part, not to say that there aren't answers.

The second thing to consider as we go forward, is that when we hold meetings in developing countries, some of the time we are in the capital city. Other times, in developing countries, we have held a meeting essentially in a resort of some sort, or somewhere off the beaten path. And we're going to have to consider what happens if we have meetings like that in the future, and for all intense purposes, there is no local community, that we can really watch out for in a short distance. Again, something to think about, not insurmountable, but something we need to be aware of. Thank you.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Alan. This is Beran. You're absolutely right. It is something that we need to look at, and we have to figure out reasons going about it, and making it easier. Dev, in any case, we have to work, identify [interested?] stakeholders, invite them beforehand. Yes, this was one of the suggestions in Maureen's, one of Maureen's think tank ideas. But we could have come up with fliers, or have a newspaper article, or an online blog, or a short excerpt that we could play over the TV, or the airwaves, or whatever.

These are all suggestions that Maureen came up through the think tank, which I think are fantastic ideals, and we need to look at how we can get the subgroup to look at that and see how we can use those avenues to prepare the ground we get there, because like we discussed in the

---

last couple of weeks, this is an area that we need to prepare beforehand.

We can just get there and start doing the outreach, the ground has to be prepared way beforehand. Maureen, your hand is up. Please go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you Beran. You have actually sort of like taken the words out of my mouth. But I think that's one of the reasons why in the think tank ideas, the local coordination and pre-visit preparation is really important, and I think this is one of the reasons why Vanda has put it, is important because you need to actually, there needs to be quite a bit of [inaudible] together, and work to be done to, you know, as you say Alan, is there a community that you can work with? That is really important? That this subgroup actually looks at who is available, who might be interested to even come to the ICANN meeting.

I mean, we just assuming that everybody is interested in us. So we do need to, there is actually... And I guess that's one of the reasons why I'm sort of like, asking like, where is it? Where is it? Because it needs to time to sort of like build up the relationship that we're going to need to build up, in order to attract people to come to the meetings, which would even want to know about us.

So, this is, you know, I think that identifying two groups and all of that sort of stuff in the preparatory stuff, and as you say Beran, preparing materials for them getting out there before we do. Thank you.

---

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Maureen. Yes definitely, just like we discussed on the Wiki. I think we really need to make sure everything is ready on the ground before we come up, and that will really help us to be more effective with our engagement and our outreach, and to be able to prepare the [minds?] to be ready to engage us and ask the right questions and get the discussions going.

I really can't wait for the next meeting. I'm looking forward to it because I know we'll be able to get more direction. The first two, three meetings that we had, we were a little bit all over the place. We didn't really have an idea of where we were heading because we can have the sort of information that we needed to move ahead, but things are beginning to come together.

We will still need some clarity on certain things that, the dos and don'ts for the meetings, especially meeting B, because that's the one that really stands out. So I hope that by our next meeting, Heidi will be in a position to really give us sort of that extra push that we need to really put things together and start populating the scheduling and planning, as other ACs and SOs are doing.

Ours is a bit different because of our structure, our unique structure as At-Large, and that's really to our advantage, because that would really be able to explore our diversity, and be able to go into areas, and engage not only our ALSs, but new and upcoming or potentially new ALSs that we might get. So we're looking forward to what GSE has in

---

store, as Dev said on the AC, and we're looking forward to really putting things together and solidifying our strategy before Dublin.

I see Remmy's hand is up. Remmy, please go ahead. You have the floor.

Remmy, are you there? Can you hear us? This is Beran.

TERRI AGNEW:

This is Terri. Pardon, Remmy, your mic isn't active, so you can either ping me and I can get a dial out for you, or you can type it in chat, or activate your mic.

BERAN GILLEN:

Thank you Terri. Perhaps we can get a dial out to Remmy to get him to join us on Adobe. Or perhaps he can write down his intervention on the chat, and we could read it out and discuss it from there. I see a little bit of activity in the chat. Dev...

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]