

---

GISELLA GRUBER:

Welcome Vanda. We're just starting the call as you joined.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Ad-Hoc new meeting strategy working party, Thursday the 4<sup>th</sup> of June at 15:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Yasuichi Kitamura, Beran Gillen, Alan Greenberg, Maureen Hilyard, Eduardo Diaz, Vanda Scartezini, Rafid Fatani, Satish Babu.

Apologies noted from Tijani Ben Jemaa, Sandra Hoferichter, and Carlos Aguirre.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich and myself Gisella Gruber.

And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. We only have a small group today, which is going to make it a little bit harder than we had hoped for one of our main items, and that is the selection of a chair. But I think we'll just, well we can talk about that in a minute. The purpose of this group is to try to flesh out for the, for ALAC and At-Large, how we're going to be using the new meeting layout.

The new meeting structure is somewhat more prescriptive than it has been in the past, in terms of when should we try to have meetings that are mainly focused within ALAC and At-Large, when we should be

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

looking for meetings that span the groups, and also outreach components. The first meeting, if I'm correct, of the new strategy, is in Dublin. And I believe that...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi. Actually the first meeting under the new strategy will be in Marrakesh in March 2016.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry. I thought it was the first one of the fiscal year, my mistake. Okay. So we have a little bit of time to determine how we're going to use this, but there will be discussions with other stakeholders in, as early as in Buenos Aries, to start making sure that what we're doing, both makes sense in the general context, and of course, so that we can trade ideas.

So we do have to have at least some thoughts on paper before then, either before then or during Buenos Aries. So we don't have a lot of time. We're starting this a little bit later than some of the other groups. One of... The first item on our agenda today is the selection of a chair. Now we do have a drafting team identified, or at least the initial members of it, and the drafting team will be responsible for putting

---

together, essentially, the document, which will be describing what we plan to do, and will be used as the basis for discussion with the rest of the At-Large community and other parts of ICANN, in terms of how we're going to be structuring, how we're going to use the new meeting structure within our group.

We do have a number of people who have volunteered for that, and just quickly identify them. Some of them are on this group, are on this call right now, some are not. We have Eduardo, Sébastien, Tijani, Beran, Maureen, Yasuichi, Satish, and Rafid. And I believe Eduardo has volunteered to chair that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much Eduardo for that. Now we could automatically say the chair of the overall working party is the same person that chairs the drafting team. Eduardo has not volunteered for that at this point, so we're not going to impose it on him.

RAFID FATANI: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

---

RAFID FATANI: Just to say, I also wanted to co-chair with Eduardo.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Sorry that didn't make it into what's on the Wiki. So if I could ask staff to update that. That's assuming Eduardo wants a co-chair.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. Who is the one...

ALAN GREENBERG: Rafid Fatani.

RAFID FATANI: It was indeed, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, okay. I thought you wanted to be co-chair of the working party, not the drafting team. You wanted to help on the drafting team, or you...

ALAN GREENBERG: That is where it was recorded actually. So perhaps...

RAFID FATANI: Yes, I suppose that would depend if the chair will become the chair of the working group itself. So I suppose we'll leave that to the next agenda item.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. So you volunteered to be co-chair, assuming we have co-chairs, of the working party itself.

RAFID FATANI: That's correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, fine. So we have no conflict in that case, because I didn't really think we needed co-chairs of the drafting team. So I was a little bit confused on that. All right. I don't think we will have any objections to having co-chairs. It has become, if not normal, practice in a lot of working groups, certainly something that is quite common, and does tend to ensure that we have a chair present at all meetings, even if individuals have schedules that don't allow it.

Is there anyone else on this meeting who is eager to do it? I know there are a number of people who maybe voluntary, who aren't on the meeting today. And for that reason, my tendency is to say that we should defer that for email, but certainly I would like some input on that before just making a decision on your behalf.

BERAN GILLEN: Alan, this is Beran. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes I can.

---

BERAN GILLEN:                      Okay. I'll co-chair with Rafid for the work party.

ALAN GREENBERG:                All right, we have one more volunteer.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:              Yeah, I can help any time.

ALAN GREENBERG:                All right. We have an awful lot of volunteers for co-chair. I also have a note that Sébastien had volunteered to be chair of the working party. Heidi....

HEIDI ULLRICH:                    Yes, correct. This is Heidi...

ALAN GREENBERG:                ...sending me private notes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                    So we basically have Sébastien who volunteered as the chair of the working party. And from what I'm hearing, we now have three volunteers for co-chair, and that is Beran, Rafid, and Vanda.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that's probably overkill.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yeah, we have a lot of people.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm happy to let the people talk amongst themselves and decide who is going to do it. Are all the people happy to decide among themselves?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: For me, it's okay. If for Eduardo, he has said it was good, we can all help to the drafting team. No problem.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I see in the chat that Sébastien said Eduardo is great to do the job. Eduardo has volunteered to be the chair of the drafting team, not of the work party. Just for clarity.

EDUARDO DIAZ: That is correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. We don't have any competition for that, nor do I think we need more than one person. Sébastien, can you speak also? Or are you just, have no audio.

I guess he can't speak.

---

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I can try now.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: No, but Alan, my name is here to help. If you need me, just tell me what you want me to do, but I think this, as a meeting strategy, I know quite well, but if others want to do, I will help them. And I am not asking or requesting anything, just in case you need me, I am here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then I would suggest... We have three people who are interested in taking on some level of leadership. My inclination is to say that Beran and Rafid should take this on as co-chair, with Sébastien acting as, we can coin a new term, associate chair or advisor, given your background in this process. It's probably not best to have you lead, because you did lead the previous group and we want to do this sort of as a new initiative within At-Large.

On the other hand, I would not want to lose your expertise and knowledge on it. So does that sound acceptable to all parties?

RAFID FATANI: It does to me. Rafid Fatani speaking.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sorry. We also had Vanda involved.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yeah, but I'm glad to help anyone that wants to take the leader. I don't need to take the leader.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then I would ask, I will suggest that Rafid and Beran act as co-chairs, with Sébastien as advisor. If we can use a term out of, I won't go there. And Vanda, you have a wide enough background, that I think probably it's best to take you as, again, as someone who can advise us based on the history, and how you use going forward with involvement from developing countries, which is a significant part of the outreach.

And I'm happy to go forward like that. Does that sound acceptable to people? Not hearing anything, we'll put this out to the mailing list, and assuming there are no objections or changes, then we'll go with that. All right.

The next item on the agenda is to start the discussion. And I'm not quite sure how much discussion we're going to have at this point, and how much I would suggest that people take it off line and go to the mailing list to start putting together ideas. There are a number of things that we want to identify. If you look at the agenda, we have four items that are going to be needed to be discussed, and I think they should be discussed within the group itself, not dictated to the group.

---

And the four items are the identification of aims and objectives. So in other words, fine. What are we trying to accomplish in these ICANN meetings? And I think all of you have enough experience to know the problems we've had in the past, and hopefully how we can address some of those going forward in the future. How do we increase the effectiveness of the At-Large sessions?

How do we improve engagement? Because we have time that is explicitly allocated to inter-community sessions, but we also have a situation where many of the people who have been active, are not necessarily have acted in inter-community sessions. So we need to either widen that to make sure everyone is going to be productively employed on those days, so to speak, or decide how we're going to use the time, despite the fact that some people are not heavily involved in inter-community things.

And the last one is a very significant one. There is a major component of outreach and engagement that is associated with the new meeting strategy, particularly the B meetings. And the question is, how are we going to use that? And we've had a number of discussions already. One of the issues that was raised was whether we want all of the people that we normally have at the B meeting, or whether we want to restrict the number of regular people, and perhaps use the travel funding for other people.

At the last meeting we had, there was a general feeling that we do want the same group of travelers. So I will assume that will go forward, but of course, exactly what we do with that time, with the outreach days, is a substantive nature discussion. And I think as interim chair, I've done

---

my job at this point. And I guess I would like to turn it over to our new co-chairs. Do we want to continue this discussion right now? Do we want to adjourn the meeting after 20 minutes and go on to the mailing list, and have people start putting their ideas there?

I'll leave it up to you, how to respond. But I foresee Eduardo has his hand up.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Alan. I have a couple of questions. I mean, one is, you know, I have a copy of the thing that the GNSO made, which I believe that staff [inaudible] somehow. I think one of the questions for the group is, if we want to use this same format for whatever drafting we do. That's the first question that I have.

And the other thing is, you know, can we go back to timelines? I'm sure we know when we need to have things in place. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. In terms of the format, I think, to a large extent, that's up to you, up to the group as a whole. Certainly, what I've seen from the GNSO, and I suspect Gisella is updating it, is a chart of how the days will be used. And at a first glance, I think that we're going to, we have to do something like that. Because that's the first step.

But I think we also want to go into more depth, and at least some of the days, because things like outreach are one of those, things that we have a fair amount of discussion on whether, what exactly does it mean? Does this mean we go out to the community? Are we going to invite

---

people from the local environment in to see us? Are we simply going to have observers at our regular meetings?

Are we going to schedule special events that are tailored to the people who aren't participating, who aren't otherwise participating? So, the real question is, how do we flesh out the boxes that we see there? And I don't know to what extent the GNSO has done that. I know there is some further description, but I'm not sure they have really looked into the details of the new parts of the meeting.

The GNSO, like us to some extent, has little problem filling in what they mean by two days of meetings within the GNSO community itself. They've been doing that forever, so there is no real change in what they're doing because of that. They're just putting the right labels on it. Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you Alan. Maureen for the record. I just wanted to, just to remind you that, you know, if we do have the outreach engagement working group, it's pretty important that we actually work in conjunction with them as well. Because they're actually looking at this very same, sort of like, as in overall things.

But yes. I mean, they have the same sort of issues, like what needs to be done. But if we, working with them as well. Thank you.

RAFID FATANI:

With who? Sorry, Maureen? [CROSSTALK] This is Rafid Fatani. I can't hear, you said to work with?

---

VANDA SCARTEZINI: To work with... Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: What Maureen said... Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry Alan. Oh, okay. I had mentioned that we must take into account the outreach and engagement working group activities, and their discussions as well. Because, I mean, they only really started on that as an end engagement group. So I think it's, [inaudible] their discussions are going to be important to us as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Did you get that Rafid?

RAFID FATANI: Yes, thank you. And I'm completely agreed.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm assuming there is a fair overlap between this group and the outreach and engagement group. If there isn't, that needs to be fixed. Heidi, you had your hand up, and then we'll go to Vanda.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, thank you Alan. This is Heidi. Two points regarding first, timing, and second, activities happening in Buenos Aries. So for the timing, the meetings team has indicated that they need at least a number of rooms and times, quite quickly, because they're actually moving forward with Marrakesh. So if they could have that, likely, right around the A time, that would be useful.

So we don't have much time, unfortunately. And also, in Buenos Aries, the meeting team will be meeting with the ALAC and the RALO chairs on Sunday afternoon. So that would be a good time for this group to get clarity on exactly, you know, when they do need the timing, what they need, etc.

And also, the GNSO, the drafting team chairman [inaudible], has sent a note to Alan and myself, saying that they would like to have an informal meeting with all ACs and SOs on the various plans of the ACs and SOs for the new meeting strategy in Buenos Aries. And they will be having one of the informal rooms, the [planet] rooms, and they would be sending a Doodle out to get the best time for everyone.

So what I guess need... And I also notice that most of the drafting team will be in Buenos Aries. So that's the best group to meet with this informal meeting with all of the SOs and ACs?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I would think timing allowing, everyone who is on the working party should meet, should... I don't think there is going to be much difference between those two groups.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So let me go ahead send, then, the Secretary of the GNSO the names of everyone on the working party who will be in Buenos Aires, and then we can send that Doodle out. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Vanda, you're next.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yeah. Well, just remember that the outreach issue is one of the big reasons that we in the meeting group before decide to set foot in small meetings, in the third world. So there is, in my opinion, one of the best things we should do is planning something to, even as we normally do in the GNS women, for instance. We invite people from the community in small countries especially, to talk with them.

So outreach in this small meeting, should be the main issue for us. Because that is the idea, to reach people that we never touched. That's the, in this, is more important in the third world. And those small meetings will be always in the third world. So that's the general idea and we should put this as a priority, outreach as a priority in our distribution of the time, in the small meeting. That's it.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Vanda. Sébastien in the chat has asked, can we schedule a face to face meeting in Buenos Aries?

Gisella, are you still around?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Alan, I'm here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Are there any slots where the ALAC is not otherwise occupied, and we can actually get a room, other than four in the morning?

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, Gisella here. Yes, we're in luck. This is their lunch time.

ALAN GREENBERG: Fine with me, if people can make it. So I ask the co-chairs to work with Gisella, and to try to come up with something that is acceptable. That may well work well. And I'd like to turn it over to the co-chairs right now, so I can be silent. I don't know whether Beran or Rafid has the better connectivity right now. Who can handle this? Would one of you like to volunteer?

RAFID FATANI: Rafid Fatani here. Beran, are you by a computer or not? Because I'm still on the phone, on the move. If not, then I'll move ahead. But if you are, then preferably yourself.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Beran doesn't seem to be able to speak. So maybe you're it for the moment Rafid.

RAFID FATANI: Okay.

BERAN GILLEN: ...a bit of noisy background. So...

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. So Beran has a noisy background, and Rafid is on the move and doesn't have easy access to Adobe Connect while he is speaking, I'm presuming that means. But why don't you go ahead, I'll handle the queue.

And we have Heidi with her hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's an old hand. I'm sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then we have no one with their hand up. The chair has the floor.

---

RAFID FATANI: Rafid Fatani here. Okay. Now I think it's about moving forward. I tend to agree we should be, I think now if there is space for us to meet on the Tuesday, at lunchtime, I think we should do that. And that will give us time to effectively talk online about where we see this group going, identifying the strategy, and looking at our own objectives for the group.

We can explore that and agree on that on our face to face meeting. Does that sound agreeable to everyone?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Looks great.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan speaking. Heidi, if I understood you correctly though, the meeting team wants some output prior, or by the time we get there, because they're meeting on Sunday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, they're going to like to know, you know, in general, to date, are we planning for the general format, for example, meeting A, meeting B, and meeting C. Are we planning on a full day on that first day, etc.? Are we having...? For example, there will not be able to have a final ALT meeting past the time of the close of the meeting, as we have had in the past. Things like that. So basically, just general overall format.

---

RAFID FATANI: Yeah. I think, this is Rafid Fatani here again. I think this will be discussed online between the group before we make any decisions, and hopefully we'll have this for the meeting then beforehand, and for us to discuss then. Does that sound like a better solution?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that's mandatory. Heidi, can you elaborate? Because you just said something that I haven't heard before. You're saying that, under no conditions can we have any meetings prior to the official start day and after the official end day?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, that's what I'm hearing. So basically, for example, Saturday is now the official day of meeting A. And I believe the Thursday is the final. So only meetings are in those days will be approved. So for example, the ALT meeting on that last day, Friday, will no longer be approved.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we need to be discussing that with both ALAC and the ALT. That's the first I've heard about that. Maybe I should have guessed it, but I certainly didn't hear it before. Are they also cancelling the chairs meeting that is currently held on Friday?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think that's up for discussion, but I don't think so.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:                   Okay. It's going to be interesting folks. Eduardo has his hand up, Rafid.

RAFID FATANI:                    Okay. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ:                   Thank you. I have a question about logistics in terms of, we need to... And I'm talking here in the context of drafting things. According to, I know we're going to talk in here [inaudible] and that is maybe we can have a, you know, a conference call before the Buenos Aries. Can I use the same list, [inaudible]... Or should I have, or do you have a different one? Just so, I don't want to compete [inaudible], you know. Thank you.

[CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG:                   I'll say it's your call.

EDUARDO DIAZ:                   This is Eduardo. I don't have a [inaudible] mailing list for the working party, it's just that, you know, if we're talking about drafting, I don't want to confuse the rest of the people that are not involved in that.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: May I suggest you start off on the same list. And if it gets confusing, or other people don't want to see the traffic, you can add a new list.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, good enough.

RAFID FATANI: Agreed, we can do that. So we can then please schedule in, on that same conference call for the whole group, to discuss this further?  
Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: You're asking for a Doodle.

RAFID FATANI: I think so. Okay. So, any other actions? Any other business?

ALAN GREENBERG: Eduardo, is that a new hand?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, this is a new hand. I forgot to say it before. It's just that [inaudible] is I will do something this weekend and send it out Monday, that we can

---

use as a basis to start the draft. It's going to be a [inaudible]... And then we can go from there, and fine tune it. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Not the chair, but as someone who wants to see this moving forward, thank you very much. That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I'm glad you said it first.

RAFID FATANI: Okay. So it's Rafid Fatani. So yes, let's schedule that in. And if there aren't, is there any other business? Is there anyone else with...? Are there any hands up that I can't see?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Let me ask you something, just to confirm that the first meeting that they are thinking about is normally General Assembly. Is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. So on Saturday, you can see that in the AC room right now. So day one is Saturday, and there we have inter community work, Board communities, and outreach. So you'll see that, I believe on meeting A, there are two public forums. So on day three and on day six, there are public forums.

And the welcome ceremony is on day three, which is a Monday.

So if we go down to meeting B, which is the shorter one. You'll see that day one is the Monday, and there are going to be no kind of welcome

---

ceremony, and no public forum, and no Board meetings. It's a very short meeting, only dedicated to AC SO work, inter and intra. So within each group and between the groups.

And then meeting C is the annual general meeting, and that is a very long one, where Saturday, just scroll down there. Saturday is day one, and again, you've got Board committees, inter community work, outreach and capacity building activities. And day seven is that Friday. And again, we have, there you will have a welcome ceremony on day three, and two public forums on day three, which is Monday and day six, which is Thursday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you Heidi. And Sébastien...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry Alan. I've just been in touch with meetings team on that point. So again, no meetings will be schedule outside of the official days. So day one through day X, whatever the length of that meeting is, no meetings will be scheduled outside of those days. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then this group and the ALT do have some challenges. Sébastien has his hand up.

---

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, thank you. Sébastien Bachollet. Yeah, just to be, to try to explain. The idea, for example, the meeting A and the meeting C are starting on Saturday. It's to try to include, in the meeting, everything who has done. I guess the reason why there no anymore Friday meeting for the A meeting, it's because Board, the public Board meeting will be on the morning, and the afternoon will be, in two brackets, three.

And this half-day of the ALT may fit into the Saturday afternoon. My second point is that where we are talking, there is no Board meeting for the B meeting. There is no public Board meeting. I want to be sure that you get the difference. That means that the Board will work as any other community during these four days, and will be able to participate to the inter work, as they are doing their intra work as the other community.

That's some of the reasoning. The other one, about the C meeting, it's, the Friday was added because at that time, it's the end of the selection for each bodies, whatever conceal [inaudible] committee, even Board. And they can have a meeting to seat their new members, a meeting to start to work with the new members. And my fourth point, is that just to be sure that we answer the question of Vanda.

The new meeting strategy will start with the Marrakesh meeting in 2016. Then the meeting this year will not change so much from what we are, we used to do. The first new meeting will be Marrakesh in 2016. Thank you very much.



---

RAFID FATANI: Thank you Sébastien. Again Alan, I'm needing your help here. If there are any other hands up.

ALAN GREENBERG: My hand is up. Just two comments. The first one is a question for Heidi. That means that the kind of thing we're doing in Dublin on Friday, we can never do again in the future. Is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let's take a look on meeting C.

ALAN GREENBERG: The Friday as scheduled. And you're saying we cannot do anything out of bounds.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That is my understanding.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: The Friday on meeting C is still open. It will be to do what you are doing in, and it's at the end of the IGN, and everything you are doing on the Friday, at the end of the IDN, will be still be able to be done in the next year meeting. The only meeting where you don't have the Friday, it's A meeting, but you have the Thursday afternoon.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I understand that, that doesn't mean we can't use the day for the other things that it was designed for. So it's trading our own time off, one against the other. Okay.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Except that we start earlier. You're able to start earlier, because it's starting on Saturday.

ALAN GREENBERG: We're already starting Saturday by then. We're starting Saturday effective Dublin.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah, but Dublin, it's [AGM]. The longer than the other meetings.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So if I may Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: No. What, Sébastien, what I was saying, for the Dublin, we're already meeting Saturday through Friday. So we're not getting the extra day. In any case, there is no point in debating it right now. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, on Saturday, in Dublin, the ALAC received a fiscal year 16 special request approved for a sole day of Saturday. And then also, that will be in Marrakesh for the first full day. And then on the meeting C, you can

---

see that the Friday is basically, you can choose. You can have a short wrap-up on Friday, in the morning, let's say. And then you can have the team building exercise for the ALAC the rest of the day.

So there is still a possibility to have that.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I thank everyone for volunteering, and I look forward to seeing what comes out of this. Rafid, anything to wrap up?

RAFID FATANI: Thank you. No. Thank you all for volunteering. And hopefully this is the beginning of a strong and productive team. We are small and hopefully that will make us lean. And able to be able to produce some good results in the near future. Thank you all for coming. I adjourn this meeting.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**