
TERRI AGNEW: ...the LACRALO monthly meeting taking place on Monday the 17th of August 2015 at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel, we have Jesus Alexis, Hugo Perez Caretta, Alexis Anteliz, Eduardo Mendez, Sergio Salinas Porto, Harold Arcos, Diego Castillo, Christelle Vaval, Carlos Raul, Ricardo Holmquist, Alberto Soto, Aida Noblia, Carlos Aguirre, Javier Chandia, Humberto Crrasco, Agustina Callegari, and Gilberto Lara.

On the English channel we have Alan Greenberg, Roosevelt King, Bartlett Morgan, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Jason Hynds, León Sanchez, and Carlton Samuels.

On the Portuguese channel we have Vanda Scartezini and Alyne Andrade.

We show apologies from Juan Manuel Rojas and Fatima Cambronero, as well as Christian Cassa.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Rodrigo Saucedo, Kim Carlson, and myself Terri Agnew.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Veronica and David. Our Portuguese interpreters today are Betting and Esperanza.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters. Thank you very much, I'll turn it back over to you Alberto.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. I see we have many new participants. They are participating for the first time, so I would like to welcome them all.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Carlton Samuels.

COMPUTER VOICE: Joined.

VERONICA: The interpreters apologize, but we are not receiving Alberto Soto.

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is Silvia Vivanco speaking. Alberto, unfortunately we cannot hear you on the Spanish channel. Your audio is really bad, so if I may, if you agree with me, and just to for the sake of time, perhaps we can give the floor to Humberto for him to proceed with the call, because we cannot hear you Alberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto Carrasco speaking. Silvia, I will start, I will begin the call, but perhaps we can work out another audio so that we can solve his problem, and see if he can connect.

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is Silvia Vivanco speaking. I think he has many audio issues. His line is really choppy and we cannot hear him.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto Carrasco speaking. So I will continue with the call. Alberto was welcoming new participants. We have numbers that our participating for the first time in our monthly meeting, so I would like to welcome them all as well. And of course, thank them for their participation in this meeting.

Since we have already done the roll call, I would like to begin with the introduction of the agenda for today's meeting. For tonight's call, we have different items from the agenda, so we will begin with, of course, with the e-learning courses. Rodrigo Saucedo will speak about this. Then we will be dealing with item number five on the agenda, there we will have León Sanchez, he will speak about RALO input on the CCWG accountability draft report.

Then we will speak about and give an update on the documents that are being updated nowadays in LACRALO. This will be done by Alberto and myself. Sergio Salinas Porto will speak about the governance working group. He will provide a report. And then we'll have Harold Arcos, who will be presenting IPv4 and IPv6.

And then we will finish with item number nine, which is any other business. So if we can adopt the agenda right now, I will give the floor to Rodrigo Saucedo for him to begin with his presentation. So Rodrigo, go ahead please. So Rodrigo, please go ahead.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: This Is Rodrigo Saucedo speaking. Thank you very much Humberto. I have prepared a very brief, a very short presentation, because I would like to tell you a little bit about this project, within the regional strategy. And this has to do with the e-learning courses.

Please bear with me until we can upload the presentation.

I see there are many people that I know do not know me, and let me introduce myself. My name is Rodrigo Saucedo. I am [inaudible] manager for the Latin American and the Caribbean region. I've been working for almost a year within ICANN, and I am mainly in charge of promoting and coordinating the implementation of the regional strategy, and the projects of this strategy.

Today I will be, I will speak about, and while we see the presentation being uploaded. So let's wait for the presentation to be on the screen. So, as I was telling you, one of the projects of the regional strategy, when this strategy was created, was specifically focused on the LACRALO community. And the idea was to create for this community, online course in e-learning platforms for our community.

Can you see the presentation right now? I hope you can. So there it is. As you can see on the screen, this is a LAC strategy project, to coordinate with LACRALO, development of online capacity building programs. So what we did, at the very beginning, we began working together with Humberto Carrasco and Alberto Soto, and we decided so as not to duplicate efforts, because in LACRALO we already had courses

on the ICANN learn platform which is the introduction to LACRALO course.

So this course was created by the group, by the working group if I'm not wrong, but it was created by the At-Large working group. So this course has a duration of about three to five hours, it's quite long indeed. And as you can see, one of the topics in the introduction has about 12 items. For example, what is ICANN, the Board, the advisory committee, and so on.

So then this course addresses participation and engagement. And there you can see that there are more than 15 items to deal with. So there are no videos, no material indeed, that you can see. The only thing that you have to do is to read. So what we decided to do, in order not to duplicate efforts, is to, was to divide this course into different little courses, if you will, and create special content for that.

That is to say, apart from this text that were already available, there were also videos available to explain the material. And there was supporting material as well for this course. So basically the idea was to create a LACRALO working group, because what we need are volunteers from the community. And the objective of this working group was to create or determine topics in order to develop content.

As you can see this, of course, is really long. There are more than 25 items to deal with. So the idea, in fact, for this working group is to determine four or five topics to start with. That is to say, we need to define the topics, and the community will also define or suggest, the trainers that they would like to have for the courses.

So while doing this, I believe it is really important to involve communities, and not only to work with Alberto and Humberto because at the end of the day, we always end up receiving comments, we can also, which are very valuable, but the thing is that we, one can develop something and then we receive a negative comment.

So the idea is to involve the community for them to provide input on the topics that the community would like to see on the platform, suggest the trainers or the instructors, and to have two or three people. So this is basically what I would like to introduce to you, and I am very happy to see so many people participating onto this call, because this is very positive for the community.

So please, be in contact with Alberto, Humberto, and Silvia Vivanco. You can send an email to me, Rodrigo dot Saucedo at ICANN dot org. So you can send your input, because it is really important for the community to participate in this project. I'm open to any questions that you have.

ALBERTO SOTO: This Is Alberto Soto speaking. Can you hear me now?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. Yes, we hear you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Okay. I have a question. I hope we can have volunteers for this working group and to create this working group. The

idea of many participants. And Rodrigo, my question is, can we think about any activity for this or inter-activity, can we think about any interactions of these courses?

Because as you know, [inaudible] courses, so the idea is to have more courses, and to have perhaps pictures and videos, because you know, having so much text is sometimes really boring.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO:

This is Rodrigo Saucedo for the record. Well, that is the idea, Alberto, when we speak about these courses. The idea is to use this platform on Adobe Connect, in order to invite participants, and the idea is to have the trainer, the trainer will deliver the presentation, and that information will be uploaded to the platform in order to have a video, or in order to produce a video.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. Okay. Is any question or suggestion? I don't see anyone. Alex, Alex, please you have the floor.

ALEXIS ANTELIZ:

This is Alexis. Can you hear me?

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto, yes go ahead please.

ALEXIS ANTELIZ: This is Alexis speaking. So I think this is a very good initiative by ICANN, it's a great initiative indeed. My name is Alexis Anteliz. And the idea, it's a good idea to redesign these new courses, to have more dynamic courses, and to apply to the community to address the nature of the network. Because as Rodrigo said, this are, these courses are sometimes difficult to understand, especially for new users or for new participants, so we need an introductory level for this.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Alexis for your comment. Are there any other questions or comments?

ALEXIS ANTELIZ: Alexis speaking. No, that's okay.

ALBERTO SOTO: Bartlett Morgan, you have the floor, go ahead please.

ALEXIS ANTELIZ: This is Alexis speaking. So we will have, I hope to see Rodrigo's presentation, and then if I have any other question, I will ask that question.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Bartlett, you have the floor, go ahead please.

BARTLETT MORGAN: [Audio Difficulties]

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Bartlett, go ahead please, we can't hear you.

BARTLETT MORGAN: [Audio Difficulties]

TERRI AGNEW: Excuse me Bartlett, this is Terri Agnew. We can't hear you on the English channel.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: So taking into account your question, on the questions being made, well, I would like to speak about the results that we expect. And let me tell you a little bit about this. The projects of a regional strategy are basically an idea, you know? And the objective is quite general indeed, but what we are doing right now with all the projects of a strategy, is to work with working groups, or within working groups.

And to develop the objectives, the specific objective for that, for a certain project. That is to say, what we want to achieve, the scope of the project, the indicators in order to measure the progress of the project, etc. So in order to answer Carlton's question, it depends, everything depends on the working group, and on the LACRALO community to determine what they really want to see.

We are here to support the community, and to help the community to create content.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Rodrigo. All the details about this course will be addressed once the working group is created. So I would suggest, you're sending the emails, or the emails to [inaudible] or to me, so that we can create the working group, and we can begin at once.

That is to say, the meetings of this working group, and then the mailing list. Are there any other questions?

This is still Alberto speaking. I see no hands up. Ricardo Holmquist, you now have the floor.

DAVID:

We can barely hear Ricardo.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST:

This is Ricardo from Venezuela. I have raised my hand two times and I don't know why my hand has been done.

DAVID:

We apologize, but the audio is really very low and we can barely hear this.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I have asked what are the requirements to participate in the group, and my question just, I wrote it in the chat room, and there were other things written on the chat room right there. So my question is then, how can we deal with this? And secondly, my request is that we should say who, the name of who is speaking each time, so that we can get to know each other.

And also to say to which association we belong. I don't know half of the people there, and I wasn't expecting anybody to know me, but I was actually expecting the rest to say which association they belong to, because I don't really have any idea about that.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto speaking. Thank you very much Ricardo. Just go step by step. There are no requirement to make the working group. This is so because usually the person who wants to work, just lists his name, we just consider the people who have the necessary knowledge. There are no requirements, it just needs to enlist and be willing to work.

Regarding the hang up on the list, I will ask Humberto to deal with that, because otherwise, we cannot handle this.

As I hope I have answered...

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. Yes, no problem Alberto. I will deal with the chat room. As Carlton has his hand up...

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is Silvia speaking. Carlton, please go ahead.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you. I hope you can hear me. This is Carlton Samuels. I am trying to find what it is that we are expecting from the training program. The real need that we have in LACRALO is for participation in working groups. Not LACRALO working groups, but working groups with policy decisions, where the policy conversation takes place. And that is working groups that are charted by the GNSO, the ccNSO, or cross community working groups started by any of the ACs and SOs together.

That's where we need to be in the game. And if we are not focused on having representatives in those working groups, we are spinning our wheels. [Inaudible]. Let me say this again. The policy conversation takes place in working groups started by the GNSO, the ccNSO, or they're cross community. That's where we need to participate.

That participation requires that we make ourselves knowledgeable. In other words, you have to read a lot. So we could not tell people, if they could get away from participating effectively, by not reading, you'll have to read a lot. There is no way around it. So I'm truly very sorry. It seems like, it looks good, from the outside, what you're trying to do here.

But for objectives, this is not [inaudible] of purpose. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto speaking. Thank you Carlton. We are driving an [item?] strategy for Latin America and the Caribbean. This is where it all comes

from. We are continuing with the efforts we started with ICANN Learn, and we are trying to improve that for all of the ALSs, especially for those ALSs that somebody says that they feel that this is a bit heavy.

I do understand we need to have people in the group, in the ALAC and ICANN group, or in cross community groups, but if we continue with this policy, then we should have no working group at LACRALO, and this is necessary. We have specific and particular [inaudible] and people who need some basic knowledge, up until people who need very technical knowledge, or also technical and non-technical knowledge of what we're going to have a look at today, IPv4 and IPV6 for non-technical people.

So this is the objective. Thank you. Are there any other questions?

I see no hands up.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO:

This is Rodrigo Saucedo speaking. I would like to answer again to Carlton Samuels. I think I understand what he is going to. We believe that the working group at the level of the GNSO and ccNSO are more specialized working group, and of course, we need people that are more involved and have a lot more experience.

This kind of resources in the e-learning platform, I mean, we have not considered this because this is more for general issues at the ICANN level and the ICANN ecosystem, and not for working group for the GNSO or the ccNSO, they go a lot faster. So my suggestion is that those that

are interested in training the LACRALO community in this kind of working groups, in this kind of community, they're all very welcome.

We can help create a session for all of the community so that they can get trained, and get involved in the different working groups. That's all. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you Rodrigo. Any other questions? I see no hands up, so we're going to go to item number five on the agenda. This is RALO input on CCWG accountability second draft report. We have León Sanchez here with us. León you now have the floor.

LEÓN SANCHEZ:

This is León Sanchez speaking. Thank you very much. I would like the staff to upload this presentation, the slides that I'm going to explain now. They're uploaded already, thank you. Thank you Terri.

As you know, the cross community working group on ICANN accountability and transparency, has just released their second report to manage, to increase the level of transparency and accessibility. I'm sorry, it's transparency and accountability within ICANN, as a result of the IANA transition.

You can see here on this slide, the process of the accountability review team. It runs along the CCWG and [inaudible] and IANA [inaudible] group. This is on the part of the ICG to design a proposal that allows for a review, and to comply obviously with the requirements established by

the NTIA in the United States. So that all of these can finally be concluded.

We are now having the proposals of the three groups, no the names, and protocols, and numbers. These are made up by the ICG. They have also issued their first calls for public comment for the general public, and we are now going to go into the second call. We of course take into account the comments we have received in the first public comment period, and this has been incorporated.

We have actually seen significant changes with respect to the first proposal that were submitted for public comment by the community, and now when we think of the objectives and the scope of the working group, the objective as I was saying, is to be able to increase and strengthen all of the accountability and transparency mechanisms, within ICANN, so that once we finish the historical [inaudible] with the United States government to oversee the IANA functions, then ICANN can become, or be responsible for accountable before the community in connection with this action.

So we have divided the work into two areas. The first one is connected to those measures that need to be complied with, [inaudible] communities before the transition. And the second work area is related to measures that require a higher implementation time line, or that are not essential, or that should not be necessarily implemented or committed before the transition is completed.

So the comments we have received in the first part of the public comment period is that are proposal included only the power of the

communities to make the Board accountable, but what was not included was how to make the community accountable, not only before the Board of Directors, but also before other SOs and ACs. I see Bartlett Morgan is asking whether this presentation is available in English.

The answer is yes. It is available in English as well. It is also available in French, Russian, and Chinese. So you can actually have access to the working group webpage, where you will see this presentation in different languages, that ICANN provides translation for.

So with this background, we identified four building blocks we used for, I mean, to build this proposal. And what we can see here is the first component is ICANN community, the second is the ICANN Board. The third building block is the principles, which is our bylaws as an organization. And finally, the independent appeals mechanism.

Within the process design for this new accountability structure, we've been thinking that there should be escalation path, and also to provide different alternatives. So that the solution does not reach the highest part, or highest area of the proposed mechanism. So this is, these are a series of previous mechanisms without, I mean to try to solve the issue without going to the last resort.

But what we always do is we keep a disability open so that, a more [energetic?] solution can be applied. Now within the [accountability?] mechanisms that have been improved, there is a more empowered community. That is, what we want is that these powers that are being now provided by the NTIA as a result of the completion of the contract, now with this empowered community, we can think of different

alternatives for the ICANN Board to be accountable to the community, and to the organization.

The community can review the budget and operational plan. It can also be able to accept or reject any modification to the bylaws. It can also recall members of the Board, and even remove the Board as a whole. And then the second proposal included the ability, or the power, of the ICANN Board to make reviews for the SOs and ACs. So that with these reviews, they can make any decisions for any appropriate review.

Then the following mechanism or the following [blog?] that we are proposing within the bylaws is to have what we call fundamental bylaws, that is to divide the ICANN bylaws, the regular bylaws into regular and fundamental bylaws. So the difference, the basic difference, is that ordinary bylaws, to call it somehow, or standard bylaw, can also be modified by the Board of Directors, with the agreement of the community.

Now if we need to modify or amend the fundamental bylaws, approval needs to come from the community itself. And so it would also require a higher percentage for its approval. That is, we are proposing 75% of the vote in the community to be able to modify a fundamental, this fundamental bylaws. And finally, the new appeals procedure that is made up of a permanent panel, made up of five members, five members.

I'm sorry, by seven members as part of the implementation of the proposal. And the intention is to have a seven member panel that is permanent and if there is some kind of controversy in terms of the fact

that ICANN or the Board acted against bylaws, then any person that can be harmed, materially harmed, by these kinds of actions or decisions can comment on this reconsideration process, so that's the case can be amended.

That is, the actions of the Board can be amended. The most important part of these appeals process, is that the decisions made will be mandatory for the Board. And so as opposed to what is happening now with the currently built mechanism, the new mechanism will not only be binding for the Board, but it will also analyze not only normal issues, but it will also analyze the more deep issues.

This is an essential part of the proposal. We are thinking of including some principles, that is ICANN's missions and values to the principles. If you have been following the issue, you will know that there is a document signed between the government of the United States and ICANN as an organization, it's called the affirmation of commitment. And this affirmation of commitment contain certain principles to which both parts have agreed to subject to.

And after the completion of the contractual relationship, they will be part of the bylaws. Not everything included in the affirmation of commitment document will be included within the missions, commitments, and values of ICANN section, but this will be considered, that is the community has considered whether this will or will not be included in the bylaws.

Within these principles, some of them would qualify for us to be regarded as fundamental bylaws. For example, the one referring to

ICANN mission. As we can see, the idea is to avoid a deviation of ICANN from its mission, and to part of dealing with other activities that are not within its remit. So the idea is to address ICANN's mission and to put it as a fundamental bylaw in order to avoid any deviation from its main mission, or any deviation from ICANN's mission.

So the framework for the independent review will also be fundamental bylaws. The way in which this bylaws are amended would be another fundamental bylaw, and the model for the community was the model as the sole member would be a new change, because in the previous proposal, the idea was to my great ICANN's corporation structure to a membership model.

Well the different supporting organizations and advisory committees, could hope to become an ICANN members, and to acquire administration rights by law, and also to acquire certain rights after the bylaws. In this new proposal, the idea is to put this membership model aside, and to create a community council, or a community committee, and this community council or committee, would be the only member.

In this case, there would be no alternation to the model, and in the extraordinary case, or in the event that a vote would be needed by this entity as an ICANN member, well in that situation, we would have the situation in which the different SOs and ACs should cast a vote based on a formula which is already established or set forth in the proposal. When it comes to the appeals mechanism, we have the independent review process.

As I said before, we are dealing or discussing about having a permanent panel, and the review panel could be made up of up to three people. And based on that, the processes would be carried out in case any member of the community or body should think that the action of the Board is not compliant with the bylaws.

And of course, the decisions made by this entity would be binding. Now when it comes to the main characteristics of this new proposal, well the scope of the request is different. There is a new framework to present or that meets obligations, then there is a reduction of the processes, or the grounds for the removal of the ICANN Board.

Then there is a governance committee as well. And the ombudsman, the ICANN ombudsman will be in charge of carrying out an initial assessment of the processes, and then it offers the applicants the opportunity to reject recommendations by the governance committee. In fact, when we say governance committee, this is the governmental advisory committee, and not the government committee.

And of course, there are new requirements to provide greater transparency. Then it when it comes to next slide, we can see the different examples, so as, or in the way in which this model as a sole member can work. We are running out of time, so I will not drill into the examples, but I would like just to give you a brief summary with this slide, of the five powers provided to the community with this proposal.

And I would repeat, this is to reject or review the strategic operational plan or budget, then to review and reject the standard bylaws, and then to approve change the fundamental bylaws to remove the individual

members of the ICANN Board, or recall the entire ICANN Board. So these are the five powers that are granted to the community by this model, or by this proposal, and this would be given through these community mechanisms.

As you can see here, there is an example of a flowchart with a different hypothesis in case a voting process would be required, and then in this slide, we have some other information. So since we are running out of time, I would kindly ask you to read this information after the call. And of course, if you have any question or any doubt regarding this information or regarding the slides or the proposals, I would be happy to answer that.

And then, we address the influence on the community mechanisms, so the supporting organizations, or the advisory committees, would have certain amount of votes. In this case, there would be for the GNSO, the ccNSO, the GAC, and the ALAC, they would have five votes. And the SSAC, and the RSAC, they would have two votes.

This was a difficult formula. The negotiation process to agree upon the number of votes was not easy. And there are certain organizations or committees that have requested not to be part of this voting body, for example, the SSAC and the RSAC have requested not to be part of this process, or not to be part of this mechanism, but the proposal says that when it comes to vote, they will have such an amount of votes.

We have analyzed all of this information by performing stress tests. We have five areas to see and to test if the, or see if the proposal is viable, and if it can cope with the different problems that may come up in the

future. So there is a session within our report that deals with different stress tests that have been performed to this model. These are a fundamental part of the proposal because if the proposal does not comply with the stress test, well then it would be a faulty model.

Now when it comes to the implementation phase, as I said at the very beginning, we have the work area number one, which would be implemented or committed before the transition, and then the work area number two, were the timeframe is different, can be extended. And it should be implemented, or could be implemented, after the transition.

As you can see, on the bottom part of the slide, there is a calendar for the activities that, which is 2016, and is, at that time we should be finishing with the activities of work area number two. I see some questions on the chat. And I see a question by Antonio Medina. When it comes to the participation and input by LACRALO. So as I was the one participating on behalf of LACRALO, there was no other participation from other members in the community, we received certain comments before the creation of the work, and we received comments during the first public comment by LACRALO members, as I recall.

And now, what we are asking for is to review this document. This document is open for public consultation, up to early September, if I'm not wrong, and the idea is to provide a statement, a joint statement of RALO, or perhaps at an ALS level, if there is no consensus within LACRALO. But the idea is to receive kind of statements by the ALSs. So as to have the necessary input we are required to provide.

I believe it is of vital importance for us to review, to read this document, because based on this input, we as a working group, would be able to satisfy the needs and concerns that may come up in the community. I see some other questions on the chat by Carlos Aguirre. This question reads, “Don’t you think this process is quite complicated? It requires the community engagement. Well, would there be any chance of clarifying the process?”

Well, of course this a typical, a complex process. What we would have try to do from the working group is to make this easier, and the idea with this new model is to only have one member as a legal person, if necessary, to have only one legal person to exercise the rights. And the only thing that we did here is to create this new entity to exercise the rights.

So this does not modify our everyday activities. That is to say, the activities and the functions of the SOs and ACs would be as it is today, there would be no change in that regard. And only, if necessary, because we need to take into account that whatever we need a vote, whenever we would need a vote, this would be an externally process, in which we might exercise one or some of the powers, the power that has been granted to the community.

But this would be an extraordinary situation. So perhaps this might be complex on one hand, when it comes to the way in which the powers of the community would be exercised. But on an everyday basis, there would be no change in our activities. I don’t know if there are further questions. So far these are the only ones that I have received on the

chat. Please, if I am skipping any questions, I would kindly as you to type that question again, because as you know, time is ticking.

This is so far all I have to say, all I have to share with you. This is all I have to share with you, and of course, I'm open to receive questions, or suggestions, or any other input. And now I would like to give the floor to Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. Thank you very much León for your presentation. I don't know if Alberto Soto is already connected.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Yes, I'm online. León, I have a question. We have been participating in some of the meetings we have been invited to. The presentations are in English and in our weekly, in the LACRALO's weekly, we would have our, your presentation which is in Spanish.

So what is the deadline to present comments?

LEÓN SANCHEZ: León Sanchez speaking. When it comes to the deadline, let me check. The deadline would be the 15th.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto speaking. I think it is the 15th.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: León Sanchez speaking. Let me check that information please.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto speaking. The deadline is September the 15th.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Okay. So, we will tell all the ALSs that we have the presentation in English and in Spanish. So I would kindly ask participants to read this information. And we will try to discuss, in our mailing list, this information. And depending on the information, the input that we get, we will have a special meeting to deal with this topic. And when it comes to consensus, if we reach consensus we will provide a statement.

But if we do not reach consensus, at least we will have a chance of having ALSs all together, and they will have the chance to provide their input. Is there any question?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto speaking. It seems that there is no other questions.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. So please, let's try to arrange a call in order to deal with this topic. Alberto Soto speaking again. We are running out of time, and Humberto, we need to speed up.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto Carrasco for the record. I am only going to mention the first document, that is the statement of interest. This has been sent for translation, and we still are waiting for the statement to be translated into different languages, so that it can be put to vote. As for the other document, I think they're related to the governance groups.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking.

DAVID: Interpreters apologize, Alberto's line is very choppy.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto still speaking. We're going to go now to item number seven, and we're going to give the floor to Sergio Salinas Porto.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: This is Sergio speaking. Good evening to everybody. I'm going to be very brief. As the governance group, we have issued two documents. The metrics document and the operational principles document. This has now been sent for translation. We have found some issues with some, inexact words in the translation, so we have sent the translation, the documents for translation again.

And we believe they will be submitted both into English and into Portuguese. We have not sent the document for English translation, because we are making a second review. There has been a first review.

And Sylvia Herlein has reviewed this on Portuguese. We believe we will have the document ready by staff and the translation service with everything corrected, so that it can be available for the region.

There will probably be a webinar debate first, and secondly we will put it to vote by the region. That is all I can say so far on the governance group. And that's all then. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto speaking. Thank you Sergio. We're going to go to item number eight. And we're going to give the floor to Harold Arcos. He's going to deal with IPv4 and IPv6 for non-technical people.

HAROLD ARCOS:

This is Harold speaking. Harold for the record. I am from [inaudible] Venezuela. I would like, first of all, to thank you for this opportunity to have this discussion with the colleagues in the region, and it's a very important issue for LACRALO. We have been asked to talk about IPv4 and the transition to IPv6.

First, I would like to apologize to all the technical people and all of the experts on the issue, because we are trying to, we're going to try to deal with this from simple and more visual point of view. In the next slide, we can have a look at the different issues that we're going to deal with today. We will first need to understand what IPv4 is, what happens with our, with the depletion of IPv4, what are the different factors, the appearance or the emergence of IPv6, as an alternative.

And as a response to that, one of the more interesting characteristics is, the Internet of things and learning the different challenges we are having from IPv6, and the challenges for the different users. Let's first start by understanding what IP is. The IP, of course, mean Internet Protocol in English.

Let's have a look at the next slide. Terri please. IP then is the Internet Protocol to connect the Internet. Each device needs to connect to the web, and it needs to be identified with a number. It has some specific characteristics. It's a single and non-repetitive number. And it allows for identification of the device. We have been saying, talking so far about computers, but then we will refer to all kinds of devices, not only computers.

You will be able to see this, you will find this [inaudible] about IP when referring to the dynamic IP and [static?] IP. And you need to know that these numbers are all related to the different engineers, and we need to know what are the... Started to be used first by some universities in the United States. And they were the ones who generated the IP resource, and the wave of communicating through TCP IP packages.

We know that IPs are number resources. We're talking about numbers to identify computers, and with this, we're going to go to the following slide, to talk about IPv4. The Internet Protocol Version 4, IPv4, is the fourth version of the protocols, considering that the one where in technical terms, were more, I mean this was just the fourth version, but this fourth version was the first one to be implemented on a large scale.

It's the one facing the challenge of the growth of the Internet. As we can see on the slide, we can very simply see it here, IPv4 addresses with a 32 bit length. For those who do not understand about this, this is an equivalent to calculating two to the 32, and it will be a reference number for the single addresses. We refer to unique addresses, because each of them can have an identified number.

So we're talking about four billion addresses. And today, when we are reaching a population of seven billion people, we can start understanding how this resource has been depleted. And here we can also see the example of the information of IPv4.

We have been identifying for many years now, just having a look at the number of the IPv4 addresses, that there are four billion. We can start seeing, on the horizon, that this resource is being depleted. The consideration we are seeing on screen, it's a number separated by dot, and these dots can go from one to 2.5.

And this is the representation that corresponds to the IPv4 format. Let's go to the next slide please. So what's coming is a historic process, such as the opening, the commercial opening, and the very speedy growth that we have been experiencing on the Internet as well. And of course, we need to start thinking how to solve this exhaustion, this depletion of the Internet.

So let's go to the next slide now and see how we can... Let's just have a look at this depletion, exhaustion slide. We need to remember that addresses have a 32 bit length. This is equivalent to four billion, and when we see that we can reach this depletion, we start generating

technologies that help address this depletion issue. To just make it more simple.

So we need to represent only one of them here on this slide. And we will now refer to the NAT, the Network Address Translation technology. It actually is a translator that allows within an internal network offered by a service provider to be located on the edge of the Internet so as to say, and to query to the outside and see what are the Internet addresses available.

After being able to ensure, I mean this is a way to ensure that the user can have an IP number, or there is an IP address that effectively exists. So what are the problems with the depletion and how can we solve this? As we can see on this slide, this is part of a strategy to reuse and recycle IP addresses.

Some IP addresses are assigned to a device, and once this address is assigned, if we connect to a specific service, when we finish connecting to that service in particular, this IP number can be used or can be assigned to another one. And this allows for recycling numbers. This is a resource that has been used on the HTTP, but we're not going to go into the technical issues here.

So this is a resource that allows us to continue in time until we reach the total implementation of the next Internet Protocol which is version number six. NAT, as you can see on the slide, is a translator that allows all of us users, within the network of our provider, to communicate to the outside. That is, to recreate NAT as we can see. It's actually a sort of a link, and this shows some aspects, because it is a link and allows us

to restrict and tells us where it is that we're going to go to, how we are going to redirect.

So this also refers to how long can we go out. Although the issues are issues that emerge as long as the IPv, different versions of IP are being implemented. So as users, we do not only, we do not go only through one map, there are several roadblocks, so to call it. And this is going to be an experience within the Internet.

We have the challenge of improving the quality of access, and so this is an important challenge in terms of how we're going to manage NAT. That is, we need to see how we can reduce those roadblocks that NAT implies on different experiences. So the users receive a number that can be recycled, and this is a policy to address the depletion. And this is a very important policy.

So this limitation, what does it bring about? Well, it brings about a similar to what we call now IPv6. Just remember that the IETF, the Internet Engineering Taskforce, has established this project so that we can progress on a new protocol that will allow us overcome these feeling that IPv4 has reached. It's also important to remember that all IP addresses for global reserves and IANA, this have all been depleted in theory on January 31 2011. So this was a challenge for RIRs, for LACNIC, for all those Internet registries in Africa and in Europe.

So all of these registries need to see, or to properly handle there are reserved. This reserved should be enough until 2020. Just go to the next slide please. So with this challenge coming to us, and with the emergence of IPv6, let's go back a little bit please. That's it, thank you.

So these are the characteristics. Let's remember that the length of the previous one was 32, and we're now talking about 128 bits length addresses.

So we put this power to the 128th. This number is a number for potential address that we have with IPv6. It's suffice to say that it's an extremely big number, and it brings about 346 [inaudible] billions of possibilities.

So we have the challenge of how to handle this almost unlimited numbers of IP addresses. It has a very specific characteristic. From the very beginning, IPv6 should not need NAT in principle. That is, this roadblocks of NAT represents for the service network should not be present. And this would change our experience as a user, I mean, using this resource.

And then if NAT is not there, we assume there will be no possibility to review the exit of all of that traffic. However, there are tools that will still do this, even when the IP version 6, there will be a direct connection. That is, we will find the other number directed. So this is one possibility. Of course, there are, we open up an infinite well of possibilities, because in this number, with this number, each address is associated to computer. And with IPv6 will not only going to talk about computers only, we're going to talk about devices, we're going to talk about mobile devices, we're going to talk the Internet of things, and to refrigerators that will be connected to the Internet.

So this refrigerator will need an IP address. This happens also now with TV sets that will also need a specific address. Another number that will

be used with other devices that will need, and all of these devices will have the possibility to have their own number.

And once we understand the number or dimension that is really huge and that has provided us by IPv6, we're now going to go to the next slide to talk about the characteristics. We will have the possibility, for example, at the present with these technologies that we are implementing to address the problem of the depletion of the resource such as NAT or [inaudible] IP, at present, with IPv6, if somebody wants to get there...

I'm sorry Terry, that's, I need to see item number five. If somebody wants to have direct contact with their device, they can access that device directly without going through any roadblock. These characteristics are important when we consider the Internet as a tool, as a tool that will allow us to have a very, very high productivity, where each user, with their own IP address, they can just progress in the generation of more resources, and more spaces, more productive spaces, for their own transformation and transformation of their society.

So when it comes to these characteristics, where we have the possibility of having this type of connection, this paves the way for other characteristics for IPv6. And let's take into account that this protocol is being implemented in a very slow manner for some people, but it is moving forward according to the characteristics, and according to the possibilities of each region. And of course we have to take into account mobile devices.

In this case, these mobile device will have their own IP, so this is something very important to take into account. Now let's move forward to the next slide. When it comes to neutrality and user protection, this are some of the challenges that we face in our regions, because we understand that this would give end users the possibility of creating new legal relationships in order to protect our identity, our mobile quality, or our mobile devices.

So this are some of the challenges that are being presented by this new technology. And let's take into account that we are dealing with the traffic of information and new protocols. So there is a relationship between Latin America and some other regions. And of course we need to take into account regulations and the different legal characteristics for each country, and of course, the consequences for end users.

Let's go to slide number seven, or to step number seven. When it comes to, or taking into account the characteristics of IPv6, we should think about how end users would organize ourselves to make the most of this report. We have the new resource, but we have a challenge and this is to have a greater control on the resources of, and to have better control in order to find other device, or other checkpoint.

And it also paves the way for us to propose new legal measures, or legal mechanisms to protect ourselves. And also, there is a new challenge, which is the commercial or business relationship among users, based upon this new technology. I don't want to go into details right now, because we are running out of time, but since we have some minutes still, I would like to answer questions in case you have any question, and

of course, I would like to thank you all for giving me the opportunity to present this information for end users for our region.

So are there any questions or any comments by some of the participants? Do we have questions? Alberto, are you online?

When it comes to this resource, yes it is available for LACRALO members. And Sergio, I think we can participate remotely on an activity that we are organizing. Well if I can't participate in an activity remotely? Yes, of course, I can participate. We also working on the promotion of this information by means of webinars, so Rodrigo's indication is also really important for us, and very interesting for us.

Because the idea is to share this information, because this information is really of vital importance for our region. So I would like to thank Terri for her support, and if there are no questions, this is the end of my presentation.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you very much Harold for your presentation. Humberto Carrasco speaking. We are really running out of time, and before ending this call, I would like to make an announcement. So I would like, first of all, thank you for your presentation, which was very clear and simple presentation, but I would like to say two things.

We're in the nomination period for ALAC members. On August 12th, this nomination period begun by email. So you will be seeing emails circulating with information about the nomination period. And

secondly, before that, there is a staff nomination made by Juan Manuel Rojas. And of course, we're waiting for further information. And secondly, I would like to tell you about, together with Alberto, we have this decided to postpone for today the beginning of the vote for the motion of Alejandro Pisanty.

There was a comment by Alan, and that's all. This is just for your information. And thirdly, please, if you have further questions for Harold, please send that information to the list.

So this is what I wanted to tell you. We cannot hear Alberto. He has some connectivity issues today. So I see Dev typing, something happened to Dev? Okay Dev, he is writing something on the chat. He wrote something on the chat. He wrote, since we are running out of time, the ALAC subcommittee on outreach and engagement...

VERONICA: Interpreters apologize, but we are not receiving Humberto's audio.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. Sorry I had dropped, but now I have reconnected. So, Silvia, let's send an email with the link, with Alejandro Pisanty's motion. So please, let's circulate that email, and we have two additional days to provide input on that. So that's all on my part. I was reading Dev's comment. He was mentioning something about the outreach committee, that is the committee was meeting.

And one of the activities of this committee, or one of the goals, is to develop an outreach strategy.

VERONICA: Once again, interpreters apologize, but we are not receiving Humberto Carrasco's audio.

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is Silvia Vivanco speaking. Humberto, are you there? It seems that Humberto has dropped. We lost Humberto. We are not hearing Humberto. Do we have Alberto reconnected?

It seems that both of them have dropped. So I apologize for that. So they're requesting me to bring this call to an end. We have already discussed all the pending items. So thank you very much for your participation. And goodnight. Thank you. Thank you for your participation.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]