

---

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you Garth. We'll begin at this time. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO Monthly Teleconference, taking place on Monday, 10<sup>th</sup> of August 2015 at 19:00 UTC. On the call today we have Eve Edelson, Garth Bruen, John Laprise, Ron Sherwood, Eduardo Diaz, Leah Symekher, Glenn McKnight, Alfredo Calderon, Tom Lowenhaupt, Louis Houle, Joly MacFie, Alan Greenberg, Evan Leibovitch, and Judith Hellerstein.

Please show apologies from Allen Grogan and Murray McKercher. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano and myself, Terri Agnew. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much. Actually, Seth Reiss just joined us. Thank you very much, and back over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much Terri. This is Garth Bruen and this is the NARALO Monthly August Call. Welcome everybody. We took July off after being so close to the in-person meeting in BA, so a lot of things have accumulated since then. I have on the Agenda here "Action Items", but there are none. Staff, are you aware of AIs, a list from a previous call that we've missed? Heidi has just posted them, and I'm going to open the link in my window to see what those AIs are. Silvia to create a Wiki page to collect... I believe she's done that, and announced that.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, these are the AIs from all of the BA Meeting, so if you scroll down to Monday you'll see there are three AIs for the NARALO Meeting.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. So Eduardo Diaz on the newsletter. We'll definitely talk about that. He did a wonderful job. Cross-reference CWG with ATLAS II works. That's something I discussed with Tom. We'll go over the details of that, and then the At-Large Task Force Meeting, Judith, Glenn and Dev are working on. Outreach, we'll give them [sponsorship 00:02:31] for that. Then there's a CWG note: "ALT and anyone who chooses to create..." I'm not sure what that is, but we can get to that as well.

Okay, moving along, specifically with our NARALO items, one of the burning issues we had dealt with CROPP. This is something we've been discussing, and we've had some of our Regional Members prepare a CROPP proposal for the next year, and I believe that was Judith and Glenn. Did anybody else work on that? I want to make sure everyone gets credit for the outreach strategy. Anybody besides Glenn and Judith? I gave comments, yes, but you guys did all the wonderful work on it.

In terms of that, we do have some items we want to discuss about the CROPP Outreach Strategy and dealing with CROPP in the coming year. I'm going to turn it over to Judith and Glenn to talk about the Outreach Strategy. Go ahead.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure. I'll start first. What I tried to do with the document is try to provide not only a concept of what we want to achieve and how it fits in, but also a couple of tangible outcomes. They're permitted five trips. We as a group can decide [last trip 00:04:18] and longer days, so that's an outstanding issue that we may want to decide on, but we're looking for people to contribute. We identify certain areas that are under-represented, particularly parts of the United States. Also, since our territory includes the US territories in the South Pacific, that's still a very interesting problematic for us, because of the time zone difference. It's not mentioned in this document but is something we need to address, because in many ways those locations are maybe best suited with APRALO, but I'll leave that open.

The first thing we wanted to do was find out how our activities are. It's not just outreach but also engagement. We do have an issue. We have a number of organizations, ALSes, that are not participating that much for the past six months. We have significant numbers that have only attended zero or one meeting, so we have work to do in terms of engagement and finding out why those individuals A) haven't participated in our call, and nor are they engaged in our Working Groups. At that point, I'd like to turn to Judith to talk about Working Groups.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Hi. Thanks Glenn for all your work. Also, Glenn and I have been thinking about, and talking to a couple of different ALSes, and it seems a lot of them are not really... We brought in a lot of new ALSes recently, but we didn't really get a chance, or people didn't get general information,

---

besides the handouts, of how you engage ALSes. These ALSes that came on, came on after the GA, and so they didn't really understand how it works. We want to do a better job and explain that. Also, some of the leaders of ALSes have changed and so the new ones are not as clear as to how to go about doing them.

I tried to explain that in some of the emails I sent out. We're not even sure if all our ALSes have Confluence accounts or also that more than one person on an ALS can get a Confluence account and work on it. So if people want to sign up to different Working Groups but don't want to be the main person, that's also a possibility. That's why I think we were working with staff and figuring out... Maybe we'll do a survey too in figuring out who would like to have more work on explaining how to get involved in Working Groups and what they do.

One of the things we were thinking about was maybe giving Working Groups a chance to introduce themselves at NARALO Meetings, or something else. We'd like to hear from other people what their interests are. In that vain, I put out a note earlier to try to figure out how we get people, to explain to them that groups are needed, people are needed, what the groups do, and showing them how to get involved there. That's a summation of that part, and what Glenn was also talking about in the outreach and engagement.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Any other comments for Judith and Glenn about this in particular? If not, in terms of the areas in the Pacific that are technically US territories, I think this is something that needs to be addressed at the

---

ICANN level. We want to make it as convenient for people as possible, but we want to make sure everyone has the same opportunities for engagement. We don't want any of these areas to fall through the gaps. If we could keep that as a priority, I think that would be really important. Turning to the floor, does anybody else have any comments about the engagement or outreach strategy as presented by Glenn and Judith? No? Okay.

Next Item - in terms of the review of the CROPP Review Team selection process, in terms of any vacancies, how does somebody get onto the CROPP Review Team? As we've discussed, they need to be a Member of either the Outreach and Engagement - and I think on the Agenda it was supposed to say "Budget", because I think those are the criteria... Go ahead Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So they either have that - and I put "Budget" because... Allan Skuce, who's on the Budget Committee, has expressed the interest of remaining on there. We are just looking for someone for the Outreach Committee.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, so in terms of that, would it be okay if somebody doing the Outreach Committee today, and expressed their interest on being on the Review Team...

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. In the meeting that you missed in February, we discussed that we could have anyone, if they wanted to be selected, they had to be on the Outreach, but they could be on the Outreach and then join at the same time, from what I understand.

GARTH BRUEN: Alan has his hand up, I guess for this point.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be clear, the Membership on the Review Team, the Members are submitted by the Budget and Finance Committee, or the Members from that side, and by the Outreach and Engagement Committee for the Members from that side.

GARTH BRUEN: To clarify, for the Review Team we have one Member from Outreach, and one from FBSC. Each one of those Working Groups supplies a Member to the Review Team. Correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: In the previous incarnation those were the rules, and the Member was selected, I believe - I don't know for sure, because I wasn't active in it - by the RALO. This time, the Members are selected by the FBSC or by the Outreach and Engagement Committee. [overtalk 00:11:58] people who are active in those Committees, and therefore can represent the issues that the Committees have been talking about.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, I see on the chat Glenn is saying, “We need to vote on the Strategy Plan for NARALO to pass it onward to Chris Mondini.” Heidi has responded, “[unclear 00:12:19] onboarding...” Okay, that’s for a different issue. What type of vote are we taking about? Are we talking about an official vote, or about consensus here on the call, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: My impression is, according to the deadlines, and again we are not under pressure right now - we can still get it in for September, because I don’t think anyone’s asked for a CROPP trip for the next 90 days - but if we’re happy with it and can have consensus on the plan, then we can pass it on for... We need the VP of North America to review it and comment and pass it onto the CROPP Team.

GARTH BRUEN: If everybody is prepared, maybe we can do that consensus now. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I was going to suggest that if we have a quorum now then we could do it now.

GARTH BRUEN: I believe that we do, unless staff says otherwise? I’m going to put in my agreement. If everybody is okay with the outreach proposal as it appears here, please put your green check box. We’re looking for

---

people to put in their green check or the red X in terms of approving the outreach strategy, in terms of CROPP, as it is presented here today.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You can have a green check for me please.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, added to that tally, Eduardo. Evan is abstaining. Alfredo Calderon, agree. How are we looking for consensus and checks?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Seth and Ron, what's your vote? Seth and Ron?

GARTH BRUEN: No symbol for abstain, but we'll make sure Evan's abstention is recorded.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Seth [unclear 00:15:13].

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Joly has placed his vote. Thank you Avri.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, Seth [unclear].



---

GARTH BRUEN: Ron Sherwood, we have a check. Who has their hand up?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Seth, the question is, we're voting on the CROPP plan and whether you approve the one that we posted?

GARTH BRUEN: Staff, do we have consensus?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I've counted ten green checks.

GARTH BRUEN: Le-Marie has also added a check.

SILVIA VIVANCO: 12 green. You have the majority.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. Let's put this one in the file, and thank you very much everybody. Thank you Glenn and Judith for all your hard work on this. Much appreciated.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Correction, 13 with Eduardo Diaz.

---

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. if we can add that to the record, we'll make this official. Going back then to the Review Team, to be specific, we're looking for a volunteer at this point, or we're looking for the Outreach Committee to put forward a person, is this correct? We're looking for a Review Team Member from the Outreach Committee for CROPP.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We are also looking for people to join the Outreach Committee, and if they want to join the Outreach Committee, and then later on, then we could ask them if they want to choose. We don't have to choose right now. We'd just like someone from there.

GARTH BRUEN: Allan Skuce has entered, "Looking for an Review Team from the Finance Committee." Allan is from the Outreach Committee. So it's from Finance that we need? I'm confused now.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I'm confused too. Allan, I thought you were from the Finance Committee already?

GARTH BRUEN: He says, "No, I was with the Finance Committee." Allan, do you want to clarify this for us, if you can? Allan Skuce says, "I was with the Finance Committee."

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No. From what I understand, there are two people who are appointed to the FBSC, and then there are additional people who are on the FBSC. I thought in Singapore we said that anyone who's on the Committee, even if not the chosen representative, we can choose as being on the Committee. Maybe staff can qualify that? I thought that's what we decided in Singapore.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. If staff does not have a ready answer, we can wait on this for a minute. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm on the FBSC. I'll be happy to volunteer if there's nobody stepping up to the Review Team with CROPP.

GARTH BRUEN: All right, we have at least one name in Glenn, and we'll continue to look for more details on this. In the meantime, we'll keep going with the re-chartering of the Outreach and Engagement Committee. I imagine that this is tied to the other effort, so we need to re-charter the Committee. Glenn or Alan?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's a totally different thing with CROPP. If we can put that to bed. Alan [unclear 00:20:18] what this [unclear] Committee is.

---

GARTH BRUEN: Wait, this is Agenda Item #3.2 - re-chartering the Outreach and Engagement Committee? Allan Skuce is going to talk about that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, Alan Greenberg.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, whenever you're ready Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: First of all, for clarity, this group does not do the selection for the CROPP Review Team. So all the volunteers and approvals here are not what the process calls for. I don't want people going away with the wrong impression. With regard to the Outreach and Engagement Committee, it has been re-chartered. It's had its first meeting last Monday. We're of course still welcoming new people to it. I'm not quite sure what else to say, other than the re-chartering part is that it's being re-focused.

The previous Outreach Sub Committee, which was looking purely at outreach, is now also looking at engagement and in fact probably will have a focus on engagement, as opposed to just getting new bodies, but making sure that the bodies we have are in fact active and participating. The re-chartering has happened already. That was approved by the ALAC a long time ago, and the first meeting took a while to happen, but I believe it was last Monday. Staff I'm sure can put up a pointer to the Wiki page. We're still welcoming participants for it. I'm not sure what else to say, but I'll certainly answer questions.

GARTH BRUEN: Are there any questions from the floor for Alan on this issue? No? Seeing none, we'll move onto the NARALO newsletter. There is a numbering problem there. The NARALO newsletter is being championed by Eduardo, and the recent release of the newsletter was [lotted 00:22:25] on the list. People are really happy with it. Eduardo, can you talk about this for a minute and maybe let people know how they can support it going forward?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. People can support this by sending me information about what they're doing or not doing, and mostly pictures and two or three lines about what's happening. This is something you can read very fast - that's the idea - and pictures say a lot about it. That's how you can support it. I'm planning to send it out at the end of the month, not at the beginning of the month. That's basically it. If you can point me to a link, I can go and pick up information from there. Anything you want to mention to the other ALSes, submit it to me and I'll put it in. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Eduardo. I know that the newsletter was sent out via email. Is there a common link for the newsletter, so if people want to look for the archive? Is that available?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I have also posted the link with the newsletter on the main NARALO Wiki page. If staff can do that every month, when Eduardo sends the

---

---

link to the mailing list, we immediately can also put this on the Wiki page.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Silvia. I think it would also be useful to just include is as part of the monthly call Agenda, for reference. If that can be done too, that would be great. Leah?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Eduardo, thank you for that newsletter. It's great. What time during the month would you like us to get you this information? Do you have a deadline?

EDUARDO DIAZ: If you can send it to me one week before the end of the month, that would be great.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Okay, got it. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Alan Greenberg has posted in the chat: "Judith, both FBSC and the Outreach and Engagement Committee have specific Members as well as participants. Anyone can volunteer to be the latter. CROPP Review Team Members are selected by the Members of each SC. The important aspect of the CROPP Review Team Members be selected on their active involvement with their parent SC to ensure that CROPP Review Team

---

decisions are based on current policies.” Okay, so what would be the major difference, Alan, between participants and Members? A participant is someone who is actively involved?

ALAN GREENBERG:

The difference is the Members are selected by - depending on the group, because they have different rules - by either the RALO or by the ALAC. I believe in both cases there are ALAC and general RALO people on it. They’ve been selected based on the belief that they have the interests of the particular group well in hand. Should there be any votes or formal decisions made by these SCs - and to be honest, there rarely is - then those would be made by the Members.

The same rules as we’ve been using in the CWG and CCWG for IANA and accountability. Rarely are there in fact any votes, but should there be, that’s the distinguishing characteristic. If there are not formal votes, then there is no effective difference between those two categories.

GARTH BRUEN:

All right. Judith, go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

If I’m trying to clarify this, so then Allan Skuce, if he wished to remain on the FBSC, he can re-name as a Member and not a participant, and then if he chooses to, that would also mean that he can qualify, if we choose him, to be in the Review Team?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Not quite. He's eligible to be a participant in either of the Committees, or both. The choice is not made by us, but by the Sub Committee.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so if the SC decides, they can decide that he could be it, or Glenn could be it? Either could be it then?

ALAN GREENBERG: Or somebody else, yes. Essentially the intent is that the CROPP Review Team, the staff put people who essentially have the pulse of the organization, and are very active - not just doing it as something that's a peripheral activity, without having regular links on the groups, or that they are appointed by. That's not saying anything about a particular person, that's just saying what characteristics we're looking for.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, I think we're starting to get a better picture of this, even though it's confusing. We'll have to have it fully documented at some point. Moving on from newsletter. During BA we talked about the possibility, locally, of having a sub-regional meeting in New York City in-between different meetings. This isn't just restricted to NYC. This could be anywhere in North America where different Members are close to each other. I think this has already happened in Toronto on many occasions, and it's a possibility in other places as well.

So just by a quick show of check marks, who - who is in the north east, on the eastern seaboard - would be interested in having an informal NARALO Meeting in NYC? I just put up my checkmark. Seth, Tom, and



---

Gordon. Okay. Second question: who in general, regardless of the location, would be interested in having sub-regional meetings in some other city, where it might be more convenient? Say if you're on the west coast in LA or San Francisco? That's my checkmark. Leah?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Maybe I missed some details. How would this be funded?

GARTH BRUEN: That's the thing. This is really an informal discussion about the possibility of having these sub-regional meetings. How we would fund them hasn't been decided yet. This is something Evan and others had discussed previously, and it's something that led to the CROPP and these other initiatives. Evan is asking, "Does this include virtual participation?" I would imagine that if we were to have virtual participation at one of these sub-regionals, we'd have to have some sponsorship.

We'd have to have some organization so we could have remote, virtual participation. I think it's a good idea in general to have more meetings and maybe meet in person, if possible at all. This is an area for discussion and something that we wanted to explore, and I'm glad that people are interested in the topic. Sorry if that didn't answer your question.

LEAH SYMEKHER: I'm just not sure how differently it would be from the meeting like we're currently having?

GARTH BRUEN: I guess the difference is that we would actually sit in a room and see each other face-to-face, and we'd be able to talk in more of a relaxed format. It wouldn't necessarily be a heavy-duty ICANN Meeting that's in some distant location that requires a lot of travel. It would be something in a major city where a few of us could get together, fairly easily. That's really all it is. But it's just something that's for discussion and consideration. Judith then Evan.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: The question I have is how does this differ from a GA?

GARTH BRUEN: The difference is it wouldn't include all Members, unless all Members managed to make it to one of these sub-regional locations.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: You're saying this would not be funded?

GARTH BRUEN: I don't know. This is an open question. It's just a question for the curiosity and interest to see if there's interest in having sub-regional meetings, which would be in some other city, and not a full ICANN Meeting. We'll have to think about it. We have to save the GAs for the actual ICANN Meetings. Evan?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm going to suggest that in NARALO we happen to be fortunate in that we have two major ICANN offices located within our region, so in terms of the actual cities where these are happening, I'd suggest either LA or Washington, because alongside a face-to-face NARALO Meeting it also means we could have access to some ICANN staff, be it Heidi in LA or Ariel in Washington, and at least be able to touch base with some people at the ICANN offices, in addition to the face-to-face meetings. Not only that, but we've already made a place to actually have locations for the meetings as well. I'd make a suggestion that if you're thinking of that, rather than New York, where we'd have to start booking rooms or finding things like that, we've got two ready-made locations in Washington and LA where there could be additional purposes of meetings, besides just a face-to-face of NARALO people. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Evan. I think that's a good suggestion. Question for staff - is there actual meeting space at the Washington D.C. location, or is it just a closet?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Besides the excellent roof that they have, they also have different conference rooms, and some meetings were held when the NCSG had their meetings, they held them in Washington. Chris Mondini could talk about this.

---

CHRIS MONDINI: For meeting space we have a boardroom. It squeezes in 18-20 people around the table. It can't really be reconfigured. It's a boardroom style room. As Judith mentioned, we do have a rooftop with more free-flowing space, lunch space, tables and chairs that can be moved around, but we'd have to reserve that in advance. That's subject to weather, of course.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, and everything is subject to weather. Joly?

JOLY MACFIE: It's just that I noticed that Chris was in NY this week, at the civic hall, and they have a nice boardroom there. How did you like civic hall in NY?

CHRIS MONDINI: I was listening in thinking we and ISOC, the ALS ISOC in NY, have Membership, both of us, at civic hall. We did a Q&A in the cafeteria there. They were very keen to have more ICANN-themed events there, and they do also have board-type rooms for meetings there as well. That would be easily something that we could explore either through the ICANN Membership or the ISOC NY Membership.

GARTH BRUEN: Great. Heidi?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: It might be as we are now about four or five months away from the FY17 budget process beginning, that this might be something you wish to add for FY17 special requests. Also, the ALAC, or the ALT, will be developing a schedule for GAs, then there's the next Summit shortly. So there is going to be a NARALO GA in the next year or so. I wanted to point that out.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you for all the wonderful insight on this. It's great to get such attention on this, and I'm glad people are enthusiastic about it. Moving on, the next Item is comparing ALTAS II objectives with At-Large CWG work. This was a discussion we had in BA, and the goal is to look at the kinds of things that we have pledged as a community, and track them over time to see if what we do later actually reflects what we set out to do. Tom and I talked about this in BA. We haven't done too much work on it but it's something we're curious about. We want to make sure we stay true to what we say in At-Large. If anyone is interested in that, drop me a line later.

Finally, we have the announcement going out for the At-Large Advisory Committee, ALAC representative, appointed by the NomCom - this is non-elected by the region. This is the position that is appointed by the NomCom. As soon as I posted that, Eduardo said, "Are they going to pick somebody soon? Because they have to by the GA in October." What's the status of that? Does anyone know what the status of that appointment is? It would seem to me... Heidi?

- 
- HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe they expect it to be announced by mid-September.
- GARTH BRUEN: Okay, so ahead of the next meeting they will in fact announce it. Louis Houle?
- LOUIS HOULE: Exactly, by mid-September. There is some [unclear 00:39:24] on the list right now, and the NomCom is doing its job and it should be announced in September.
- GARTH BRUEN: Louis, according to this announcement, there is still room for people to apply and they'll be considered?
- LOUIS HOULE: Yes. I don't have the date in mind, but I could provide it to the list. The official information has been already provided. I could send it to you, to the group?
- GARTH BRUEN: According to Alan Greenberg the deadline is on Wednesday?
- LOUIS HOULE: Yes. I think so. I don't have the date at hand, but it's this week, I'm pretty sure. I can find out in a couple of minutes.
-

GARTH BRUEN: That's fine. Thank you. Moving onto community updates, in general this says "recruitment drive" but this is more specific for the different Working Groups. This Item has Judith listed as the spokesperson for recruitment drives for Working Groups. Can you give us a quick update of that Judith? Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, this is a little bit like I discussed earlier. Glenn and Heidi are going to work on trying to set up an orientation for new ALSes, but looking to get people on different Working Groups and if they have any questions, on the email I'll send out to everyone it says how to get involved, join the Working Group. We'll also follow up with different types of orientation things that Glenn, Heidi and I are going to work on. That's a quick update of that.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. The next Item here, we have the ALS Criteria Task Force. There was a call on this on Friday, and since the call there's been quite a bit of discussion, specifically on the ALAC list, about this. I wasn't on the call myself, I couldn't make it. Glenn was on the call, and I see that Evan has had a number of comments along with Alan. I posted within this Agenda Item the ALAC Chair's paper on improving the effectiveness of RALOs and ALSes in supporting the mission of At-Large and ICANN. First, I would like to go to anyone who was on the call, to quickly give their impressions of the call. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I was on the call. Alan gave a good overview on the rationale for why we need to do this. We have roughly five breakout groups that were chaired by the participants in this ALS Criteria Task Force. We're going to be looking at what works, what doesn't, and recommendations to make our ALSes more engaged. We did have an interesting discussion about some of the past practices of some people, and I think that spilled over into what you were probably reading in a discussion thread.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Next, Alan, would you like to discuss this at all? I see you've posted a presentation link for that. Do you have any notes?

ALAN GREENBERG: I can certainly give you a brief overview. This has been something we've been talking about for a long time - that we all know that each RALO has many ALSes, some of which are very unengaged, some of which are minimally engaged. The real challenge is how do we get ALSes with more engagement? To define what that engagement is, one of the problems that has become clear is that as Judith implied earlier, we bring the ALSes on board, we don't really provide them with any tools, we don't spoon-feed them to try to make sure they understand what's going on.

We toss them into the poll and say, "You'd better learn how to swim pretty soon." That's just not acceptable. We're looking at a number of different ways that we can try to make sure that ALSes know what the



---

expectations are, and set reasonable expectations that they have a chance of being able to fulfill and be useful to the organization. It really comes down to that. It's not just about numbers of ALSes - it's active participation in the various processes that we have.

It's a combined effort to make sure that our recruitment processes and the methodology we use to get ALSes and then keep them makes sense and is implementable. It's foolish to have expectations that we know people cannot meet, and then just rub our hands together and say, "Oh dear, we have a problem."

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Alan. I also noted that Evan had some counter points on the list about this subject. Evan, do you have a moment to tell us about this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks Garth. I don't want to rehash everything. Just having been within NARALO and ALAC for the time that I had been, I tend to get very jaded at the amount of thrashing that goes about as we constantly try to figure out metrics, how to punish, who to punish, who's active and who's not, and things like that. I've been able to take my time outside of ICANN that I've had and ponder it a bit, and basically start to wonder about first principles and what does At-Large exist to do. It exists to engage the end user public and bring that public in.

Whether that happens through ALSes or whether it happens through individual members, or whether it happens through NomCom or elected

---

or whatever, essentially everyone is useful - the people that come in, that participate, that don't participate. We spend an awful lot of time, and we have since the day I joined, wringing out hands and trying to figure out how do we make non-committal people be committal people, and how do we make sure that only the people that spend a lot of time get funded to go to things.

In the email exchange you saw from me was just an expression of the frustration that we turned so much effort and energy... Look how much time we spent today on the CROPP. What does it do? It judges which are worthy trips and which are not, and we spent an awful lot of time just on the Committee, of how to vet that. We spend an awful lot of time vetting things and deciding what's worthy and what's not worthy. In the meantime, the actual interests of At-Large don't get to affect what ICANN is doing, which is the actual reason we are all here.

I find, at least in my own personal conversations, that trying to engage people, and then when they ask, "How much have you achieved? How much have you gotten done?" we can talk about, "Well, we've put people on the Board and we've changed the structures, and whatever," but when somebody asks me, "You were involved in ICANN. What did you have to do with .sucks?" there's very little for me to answer them.

So the frustration you saw in my email basically comes out of this. It's that at the end of the day, with all the churning that we're doing, talking about outreach and talking about how we deal with tourists and stragglers and people that don't participate enough, that should not be our problem. Our problem should be getting the message out as best

---

we can, getting the feedback in as best we can, and putting that forward to ICANN as best we can.

The stragglers are always going to be there. You're going to have people that are tourists and stragglers, but because of the democratic process you're always going to have people that are going to get elected, even though they've no intention of doing very much, but they have a political agenda, and they may only vote on one or two things each year, but that's what matters to the people that elected them. You can't change that without screwing up the democratic process.

So wringing your hands and spending an awful lot of time on metrics and punishments and, "How many surveys are we going to put you through in order to go to the GA?" to me, the more I think about it, the more I think it absolutely loses track of what it is we're here to accomplish in the first place. Every minute that's spent on how we do metrics is another minute not spent on how we convince ICANN to accept the public interest in its decision making. I'll leave it at that. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Evan. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I don't disagree with much of what Evan is saying. One of the problems is we've spent an infinite amount of time over the last  $n$  years agonizing over the problem but not actually doing anything about it. That's part of the problem. The second thing is he's right - our target is to influence ICANN, and to influence ICANN in ways that the user

---

community that we are here to represent, or represent the needs of, needs.

To the extent that we have credibility in doing that, we're in a better position to do it. It really comes down to time to stop talking about it without any action and put something in place where we can sit back and then see if we're successful or not, if we've addressed any of the problem, and if the problem is addressable. That's what it comes down to. My target, as I've said, is relatively aggressive.

I've been told by a number of people it's impossible, but I'd like to have some sort of plan in place, at least to discuss in-depth by the time we get to Dublin. I'm not looking at a five-year effort, I'm looking at something which is counted in weeks and months. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Alan. Does anyone else wish to discuss this issue on the call? Seeing none, we'll move onto the next item, #4.3 - concern over the GDD influence or control over Compliance. Basically this issue here appears as though, from looking at various documents on ICANN's website, particularly organization structures, management portfolios, goals, and budget documents, that control and management of Compliance is in some way coming from the President of the GDD.

If it is in fact the case that the President of the GDD has influence over Compliance, I for one believe that we have an inherent COI. Now, many of you have maybe not been privy to the discussion that's been going back and forth. I have linked within the Agenda a rather detailed page where I've been collecting various artifacts and documents that seem to

---

show a certain amount of influence and control by the Global Domains President of Compliance.

There has been some back and forth from the current Compliance Director, Allen Grogan, about the accuracy of this data, and since we started talking about it there's been a number of updates to ICANN's website in terms of the portfolio management. However, the one snippet that you have now in the AC is based on completely current information as of today. What you see is that at the top level you have the CEO of ICANN, one of his, the first goal, is entitled "foster and coordinate a healthy, secure, stable and resilient identifier ecosystem".

If you click on that link within that page, you'll go to a list of goals of Akram Atallah, who is the Global Domains President. If you match this description, this portfolio goal description, with its corresponding element in the budget, you will see that Contractual Compliance is one of their line items. What this does is it points back to a number of documents that I have posted on that page, which seem to show if not a current then a historical influence of Akram Atallah in the Compliance direction.

Now, as Heidi is pointing out there are also a few comments and emails that are posted within that page. Everyone is free to read them and evaluate the information themselves. I have two complaints. The first is that if the President of the GDD is having any influence whatsoever in Compliance, this is a grave COI within the organization. That's my first complaint. My second complaint is there are inconsistencies between the organizational structure as presented by ICANN, and what appears to be happening in the budget in other places.

---

This is why I'm going to the lengths I am going to to pull out these details and really examine them, because what they seem to show is that the budget control, at least, is coming from the President of the GDD. Go ahead, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I didn't mean to cut you off.

GARTH BRUEN: You're not. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. A couple of things, and I'm going to be really blunt. Some people are not going to appreciate how blunt I'm being. First of all, Garth, you're probably the only person who's looked at these documents carefully. I'm not sure how much that says about the rest of them, in the overall community, but the kinds of things you've identified recently are abominable. I don't believe it's indicative of a conspiracy or fraud - I think it's incompetence. I learnt a long time ago you shouldn't presume a conspiracy when incompetence explains something.

I believe that the organization and senior management was so tied up in their concept of a Strategic Plan and this project management system that they put it together without really understanding some of the implications. I believe there were some real errors made there. What you're showing right now in the diagram that's in the display pod is showing the documents that have been revised, and pointing to the

---

budget, which was presented as an incarnation of the Strategic Plan, which reflects the stuff just before this update.

So they've updated the project management system. They haven't gone back and retroactively updated the budget presentation as part of the plan, and so you're showing an inconsistency there. If indeed Akram Atallah has anything to do with Compliance, it's not only a COI, it's in direct violation of the AOC Review Team, the WHOIS Review Team Recommendation on Compliance. You'll recall the Review Team suggested that Compliance report directly to the Board. The decision was made that it report directly to Fadi Chéhade, which was acceptable by many people, if indeed that happens.

Now, Allen Grogan has gone on record saying he reports directly to Fadi, that Akram has no budget control whatsoever. If the documents that you're pointing to have any basis in substance then you're correct, we have a really major problem here. My personal take, having dealt with some of the people involved in this process, is they were so tied up in their little world of budgets, plans, and documents that are pretty, that they ended up with something that doesn't map to reality but looks nice. I think that's what we're seeing. I'm giving you my candid opinion.

If indeed there is a connection between the GDD and Compliance, then ICANN is in serious problems. I believe that's not the case, but we simply have a lot of pretty pictures, which don't map to reality. That's my take - may be wrong.

---

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Alan. I certainly believe that that's a possibility that is inconsistency, incompetence, lack of updating, lack of coordination, however I do have a very inside baseball timeline that may help explain some of that. The first thing for people to consider is that when Rod Beckstrom resigned, Akram Atallah was temporarily both the COO and the CEO until Fadi came up. Before Fadi was officially in place, one of Fadi's pronouncements was to move Compliance out from underneath Legal and have it report directly to the CEO. You have to consider this in the context of the fact that Fadi was not yet the CEO, so at that point, Compliance was reporting to Akram Atallah.

Now, when Fadi came on, one would assume that Compliance would be reporting to him and not Akram Atallah, because Akram is no longer the CEO. Akram was the COO at that point. What the budget documents in previous years show - 2013, as I put in the page - Compliance in terms of budget, was still reporting to Akram Atallah, the COO. Following that, we have these new portfolio goal management system pages coming up. What those pages show is that when Susanna Bennett came on as COO and Akram Atallah moved over to be the GDD President, he took those specific functions with him.

Susanna Bennett maintained the other COO functions. Akram Atallah took the Compliance function with him. Since we've had this discussion they have changed that, but since we've had this discussion we also find these additional budget conundrums. In addition to that, I have a number of news articles from the previous year, which show different news agencies asking questions to ICANN about Compliance.



---

The person who answers the questions about the Compliance decisions, in those news articles, is Akram Atallah, and Akram is explaining in those news items why Compliance made the decisions they did, and what the policies of Compliance are. He's a little too close, as far as I am concerned, historically or otherwise. Evan, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks Garth. I'm just going to repeat a point that I made in the AC. I think we're actually thinking a little too small, because I don't think even the question of whether or not this is under Akram or under Fadi is the answer, because when you have something like Compliance, you basically have something that goes in the face of ICANN's main source of revenue. This is not just the GDD. This is all of ICANN. It depends on revenue from the growth of the TLD domain selling industry. ICANN depends on that for its main source of revenue.

So ICANN as a whole, not just the GDD, is dependent on domain sales. So I'm not even sure why you're splitting hairs on whether or not it's a step up to be directly under Fadi as opposed to being under Akram. Why are we not advocating for an arm's length relationship between Compliance and ICANN the way the Ombudsman is? Something that is not affected or incapable of being affected by, "Well, if we actually enforce complaints, we take a revenue hit." In something like the Ombudsman's office, that's not an issue. In the case of the CEO's office, it likely is.

I think that we're playing cutesy, even talking about whether or not this is legitimately under Akram or under Fadi or under some other VP. I

---

think as a matter of how do we address this, the answer is not how high in the food chain this goes, but I honestly think that this needs something on the akin of an arm's length relationship from the rest of ICANN, at least similar to what they have with the Ombudsman office. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. I completely agree with you. If you do look at the data I've accumulated, you will see that under #4.2, At-Large accountability and transparency review, the recommendations for that were to have Compliance also report to a SC of the Board, and that the SC should not include any representatives from the regulated industry, or any other Board Members who could have conflicts in this area. So there was a proposal to have it at arm's length, as you say, and it didn't go very far. So how do we, at this point, get it to go that far? That's a question for anybody, not just you, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I don't think I have an answer, because it seems to be something internally that ICANN will resist, unless there's pressure brought to bear from other sources.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Alan?

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

I really have to leave in a moment, because I'm expecting another call. Just to be clear, reporting to the Board, or Board SC, which I support, is not arm's length. It's very much within ICANN. You can't take Compliance and make it arm's length all-together, because Compliance is enforcing contracts that ICANN has signed. So you can't remove it completely from the overall structure, because then they're not in a position to actually enforce contracts that they're not party to. That's why the reporting to the Board was suggested, because it's within the structure but outside of the management structure.

GARTH BRUEN:

In addressing what Evan said, for me, I think we have to ensure, as much as possible, that GDD doesn't have an influence in Compliance. I think that's unacceptable. Glenn has put in that this is an optics problem. I think it is a big optics problem, but I don't want to take up the rest of the air on the call. There is certainly going to be more discussions about this. Very quickly, we want to move onto any other ALAC policy development for any of our remaining ALAC Members - Glenn, or Eduardo. Alan said he had to go. Is there anything you want to address in terms of ALAC? I see none.

Glenn is typing, he has none. I know that some of the further Items down on the Agenda refer to Olivier and Leon. They are not on the call. Also Maureen Hilyard is not on the call. Alan says he has to go. So if nobody has any objections, we can table these Items. In terms of the rest of the Agenda, the report template is there. The At-Large review appointment registration for the FY15 Q4 stakeholder call, the

---

registration link is there. Then of course the ALAC representative. Quickly I've put in a few news items. They refer to the transition.

There is one item at the bottom that I picked out. It's Russia bans funding from undesirable foreign groups. We've just noted that it's very difficult to recruit At-Large in some countries, and these kinds of policies make it even harder. Just something to be aware of. If nobody has AOB or any other further items, I'll leave the call open for a moment? Anyone else? Okay, everybody is saying goodbye. Well, thank you very much everybody for your time. I really appreciate it. Send me any concerns. Talk to you later. Bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**