

ICANN

Moderator: Maryam Bakoshi
April 28, 2016
8:00 am CT

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the NPOC Members call on 28 of April, 2016. On the call today we have Carlos Raul Gutierrez, Joan Kerr, Klaus Stoll, Matthieu Camus, Rudi Vansnick, Sam Lanfranco and Olevie Kouami. And from staff we have myself, Maryam Bakoshi.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, over to you, Rudi.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you very much, Maryam. Rudi for the transcript. Welcome on this membership call of April 28. As I already mentioned we will try to go through a very easy agenda. It's essentially focused on how to get our members more involved, what do we need to do, what are our members expecting from us and some tools we have been trying to put in place and will launch very soon.

But essentially what we have on our call today there will be some information also on Helsinki, as Carlos is also asking for in the chat room. With that I think we can actually move over to Joan. I will pick up later with the tool that

will help us and help the members to have their own profile managed. But I would first give the floor to Joan. Joan, you have the floor.

Joan Kerr: Hello? Can you hear me? Hello?

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Oh great, thank you. Great, thank you so much. Sorry, guys, my information said – Google said you have an appointment at 10:30 so here we are. So welcome. I'm so happy. This is our first membership call. I have two other members and the ExComm so that's fantastic. So this is what we hope will be whomever after the election is the membership will be a monthly call so that we can start to engage with our members and to get information from them.

So we do have a quick agenda that we're uploading. So let me talk about some of the things that are – that has happened and what we can see to happen as a framework but obviously we'll work with our members as we set the agenda in the future.

When I came on the first priority was to get the membership database updated. It has been done. Thank heavens. All verified. And I use the word “verified” quite often because that was quite a challenge. So that has been done. And we now have 60 bona fide verified members which we hope to do a lot of in-reach with and to engage to activities.

So some of the things that, in addition to the monthly calls, we need to always be obviously communicating with our members about events, about public comments that are due for ICANN so that's on the ICANN side. On our side we need to get to know our members to know what are the issues that are (unintelligible) them for the DNS systems and to get them to, one, give us the

information to have a dialogue with everyone so that we can actually represent what is out there.

And also to help us to whenever we're on conferences that we can be working with those existing members in those areas to help us to do any events that we need to do. I think that's something that we need to really, really consider the framework.

So some of the things that was done, in addition to the database, is Rudi has created a profile. And I'll get him to talk about that in a second. But we also have a toolkit that was developed by one of our members. And that's going to be on the Website. And these are the kinds of issues that – of programs and initiatives that we want to really support. And they've done a really good. They have given us the right to share it and with a (unintelligible) license so that will be on the Website for everyone to see. So we're happy about that so we would love to see other members doing work such as that.

So Rudi, I'm going to take a break real quick, please step in and ask, can you talk about the membership profile (unintelligible) created and why it's important for our members.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you very much, Joan. Rudi for the transcript. I will drop the link to the webpage that I've set up for this call and details will be sent by email on the list later today. The ideas are following, as we have seen that contact with our membership is not that easy. And we all know that in the NGO communities people are moving around from one organization to another, changing positions and so on.

During the time of four or five years, you can lose connection with your organizations if you don't have access to the right person and the right email

address. That's the work that Joan has been doing the past three, four months. And I thank her for the workload that she has been going through to contact each of the members individually in order to be able to certify that the member is still there. And to assist her in the future and anybody else in NPOC to assist the ExComm in having an updated membership.

We need to use some tools that allows the member to individually be able to go to the profile, do the necessary changes so that we can stay in contact with the member itself. I don't know, Maryam, can you eventually use that link that I've dropped in the chat room and load it in the Adobe Connect? If not I would have to ask each of you to go through that link.

The idea is the following. We have – I've transferred all the information that is in what I would call the global (NCIV) membership database, the database between brackets, into our NPOC Website where I have a membership mechanism implemented. That allows us to – and that's where you get it – thank you, Maryam – to have – we have created the basic profile which can be accessed by the representative of the organization by using a login and a password for connecting to that profile.

The login will always be the email address so that we are certifying that email address is still operating too. Secondly, each of the members will receive, later today, their individual password so that they can log in into the profile in an easy way. When the login is correct you will get the member profile screen where today we are limiting a little bit the information so that it's easier to use.

The idea is that this profile will be extended with a lot of other fields that will allow the NGO to clearly specify what they are doing, kind of promoting their organization inside our community first of all, and also have fields where they

can trigger their interest so that we can, from our side, try to help them and guide them into the ICANN policy work with the specific interest they have.

So I think that that's one of the first steps that will allow us to increase the participation of our members and work and focus quite a lot on the in-reach elements. This profile will be extended in May. I'm still working a little bit on adding some fields that could be quite important. If you can scroll up the screen for just a little bit, Maryam, okay.

So one of the items that I've been adding to the profile that is important for the upcoming elections is, is the member allowed to vote in the elections? And that's based on if we still have contact or no contact or we lost contact with the member. The member can reactivate by clicking on the Active button on the Elections. This way we will also confirm the elections, which is quite important item too.

With that I think I've explained enough on how it is going to operate and, secondly, what the objectives are. And I'm open for any question, any ideas that could help us increasing this. So if there is anybody that wants to comment to add please raise your hands and...

((Crosstalk))

Rudi Vansnick: ...Joan, you have the floor now. (Unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Great, thank you very good. I think it's – thank you so much for doing that work, that would really make the membership database work a lot easier going forward. So are there any questions? I see a hand went down – any questions anyone regarding the profile?

Okay, Carlos, I see yours. Go ahead.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes, thank you. This is Carlos for the record. I think it's very, very helpful and very good. As you mention, Rudi, I think it would be very interesting if the people can have like (unintelligible) where they can fill what kind of groups or working groups or cross community working groups or PDPs or so in ICANN they are actually working on.

And another one which other activities they are working in terms of Internet as a whole either locally or internationally and so on that would be very helpful like if you are in an ISO chapter or if you are working on your regional IGF and so on. But having like two separate lists so you can see from the profile if the person is spending only part time in ICANN, which most of us do, and what other things they can do, I think it would be – it would make it very attractive.

The question is if you need a password to get in, how can I – or is there a way you can view all the members without needing a password to get in? I don't know if that's clear. I mean, can somebody who is thinking of working with the NPOC, okay, who is in NPOC and what do they do without having applied for being a member and having a password.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you very much, Carlos, for your ideas, comments. This is the first step. Actually we have a list of members in the Website but that's a static one. And I want to replace that static one by the database. That will allow to be a dynamic one where we can, as I said, promote the organization with the information that the member has provided, that the organization has provided. This is a first step in the process.

And very good idea for requesting participation in working groups and so on. I will even try – I still can do that without having to do too many changes. I will add to the actual profile already this participation in working groups fields so that we have also a good view on where they're active and what – where we can have them.

And this will fit in the process that Joan will explain on what we call the ambassador's program. I think that that – we need to have some databases so that there is a continuity even if the complete ExComm changes, there needs to be an archive that allows the next ones to step in and move forward with this information. This is now clear and this is what we want to do as a next step. So I hope this was helpful. And I will give the floor back to Joan.

Joan Kerr: Great, thank you Rudi. Any other questions – oh thanks. Any other questions? Seeing none, okay great. That was, yes, I'm really looking forward to interacting with that profile because it's a good way for our members to be – own information and keeping everything current. And that's a really great suggestion about having what the members are involved in, fantastic.

So I wanted to – I see that some of the suggestions on the chat list talking about the Helsinki event. So I think before we go we should talk about that because obviously that's a big issue for us. I don't know who would like to talk about that. I think it's Rudi would probably be better, if you have some information regarding that. Rudi.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you, Joan. Rudi for the transcript. Well with regard to Helsinki, it looks like it's still quite a lot of discussions going on. Yesterday during the RPM call we had to make changes about when can we have our working group meetings in Helsinki. And the information that I got there is that there are two people from the GNSO Council, the one vice chair and an ex-councilor,

Volker if I'm not wrong, they are both engaged in trying to develop the schedule for the Helsinki meeting with regards activities in the GNSO – GNSO Council and all the policy PDP working groups.

It looks like there is still nothing that has been finalized. And I think, Carlos, you were on that call too. You also got that information which seems to be to me, quite difficult to get clear. But, Carlos, you eventually can also comment.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes, this is Carlos for the record. Actually we have organized already half of the schedule meaning the meetings that the GNSO is going to hold on the ongoing PDPs. That means we're going to spend two to four hours for each PDP so it's what, you know, what we used to have like Saturday's – it's going to become a two-day workload. We're really going to spend some time discussing in detail each PDP separately, not half an hour or 15 minutes as it was before but really two to four hours depending on which PDP.

That will cover almost half of the time, almost two days. Right now they are discussing the interactions with the other groups. And then there is a kind of a forum, a feedback on the fourth day in the afternoon that it's going to be like a discussion if the schedule or if the B meeting is a good idea and how it can be improved. But the reason I'm asking is to make sure that we have, in our schedule, the time so if the meeting of the NCSG and make good use of that because it's going to be very tight.

I mean, there's limited time and I don't know if we have to come with a proposal next week so it's considered on the GNSO Council call, which is on the 14th. Because by May 14 the schedule should be, in my view, 95% finished. So for the next call this is the last chance to get some slots available or rooms because by May 14 in two and a half weeks, I guess, it will be all settled.

Joan Kerr: Okay. Can everyone hear me? I'm now on the phone. Hello?

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Okay, so...

Rudi Vansnick: Go ahead.

Joan Kerr: Yes, the Helsinki meeting is a little bit – has taken us a little bit back because of, you know, NPOC needs to plan when it's having an event. For example, there were a number of suggestions, one was to have a webinar and because of the timeline and how to plan it, you know, that has sort of gone to the wayside. I don't know if Klaus is still on the phone if he wants to talk a little bit about that.

But also even if we're going to have something else if we know what the schedule is in two weeks, you know, we have less than a month to plan it, to organize it and to invite members. And it becomes – it sort of implodes on itself. So that's something that we have to look at is if we can get information way in advance so that we can plan for events or at least something from NPOC to have our members get informed and get invited to an event at the conference. Because knowing people and talking to people is how you get dialogue and get things resolved.

So if I'm hearing it it's in two weeks that will get that information possibly.
So where do we go forward...

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: No...

((Crosstalk))

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: I will send you the information we have now but it's filling up really fast. You know, there is not a lot of time.

Joan Kerr: Right. So...

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: I will distribute the last schedule we had on the PDPs to you so that gives you a feeling that is about to be very, very full. And I know Klaus had some interesting in doing something in Helsinki so I don't know how it's going to work out but it's filling up very fast. I'm not saying you have to wait two weeks, on the opposite, I think we have to move now and if we want to have a special time or special meeting we have to ask for that right now.

Joan Kerr: Right. Okay so that's...

((Crosstalk))

Rudi Vansnick: Joan, if I may?

Joan Kerr: Yeah, go ahead.

Rudi Vansnick: If I just may? Yeah, Rudi for the transcript. There is something we may not forget. There are two aspects in why this meeting is a little bit chaotic. First of all, the meeting team has to change the location because the location was not Helsinki initially. But they had to reallocate to find ways to get a space where we could have the meeting. That's the first problem they had to solve.

And due to that there is a lot of shifting as it's only a four-day meeting and the format is completely new, nobody has a clear view on how this is going to be

organized. And for instance, as the chair of the SCI, I still don't know where I will have my slot for my meeting that we need to have as we are going to conclude two issues. You need at least a 90-minutes time slot which is in fact already again an overlap with the 75 minutes that are originally scheduled. So there are two aspects that plays in this favor.

And I think that for the next meeting B type it will be easier to get things organized. But that's at least the information that I could collect. I see Klaus, you have your hand up. You have the floor.

Joan Kerr: Yes, sorry go ahead. Go ahead, Klaus.

Klaus Stoll: Thank you. Klaus for the transcript. I just want to make one point. It is not really important to have a room or not to have a room or something like that. We have several possible (unintelligible) and to do things. But the problem was quite simply that as we never got – what it's all about and my work was all about was literally now seven weeks ago to talk to Finnish NGOs, to engage them in the process so that we may (unintelligible) when we are going to Helsinki and have an event we are not talking again to our own people. And basically doing only in-reach but doing some effective outreach.

And as we couldn't give anybody an answer from the Finnish NGOs – there were quite a number of them, we contacted and talked with. Basically they all pulled out one by one and said, if you don't get your act together why should we be interested. But to be also absolutely honest with you, it also turned out that the interest was not quite as great and they actually may use this time delay as an excuse because it's one week after midsummer and it looks like everybody seems to be out of town and doing – and holidaying so the problem there would be.

I think it comes back also to what Rudi did. And I congratulate him to the webpage which he created there. But it doesn't solve one of our major problems, our major problems are to be why is all this relevant to the organization, why should they engage, why should they put all this times into the working groups and things like that. This is I think the problem of relevance. We haven't addressed quite rightly.

I understand very, very well Carlos's argument about we need to get people into the working groups, I understand also Rudi's argument on that – on these points. And I understand this is our term and task in ICANN. But at the same time we need to – we really need to look a little bit about how we bolster our value proposal a little bit in a better way.

And if we are going – if we are going the way with one meeting after another – and I would like to remind people this is now the third meeting, the third meeting that NPOC was not able to stage an event. And I think this is not a good situation we are in. Thank you. Sorry for the long reply.

Joan Kerr: Thank you, Klaus. I mean, just to clarify, just a question, Klaus, was the issue in Helsinki for the not for profits that they were on holidays or that they didn't want to engage with NPOC or ICANN?

Klaus Stoll: No, they would have loved to engage with us but they have organizational needs. Some of them are huge things, for example, we had the organization which represented all the football clubs and sports clubs and things like that. We have the Finnish Red Cross and their (planification), their run-in time for participating in meetings in reaching out to the membership of doing all this is a minimum of eight weeks and normally six months. And in the case of the Finnish Red Cross somebody even talked about a year.

But I think we could have got it done if we had about two and a half, three months of run-in time. But if these things happen again and again and again, we are getting into a little bit of a problem. Also, not only about NPOC, I think they would love to have engaged with NPOC or even with ICANN, we don't really cater a little bit to the outside in what we are doing. And, yeah, as I said, it will be a problem.

Joan Kerr: So what prohibited the Helsinki organizations to become members regardless so that you contacted and they know about...

((Crosstalk))

Klaus Stoll: The problem was when I contacted them about I talked to them about NPOC and I talked to them about the kind of event we wanted to set out. The – I don't think it's fair to talk to some – to talk to somebody in second phone call and the third phone call to tell them what the organization is doing, what you are doing to invite you to an event and ask them in the same conversation to join them.

To be absolutely honest, I haven't single of these organizations to join them. This would be the question I would have asked after the event, after they participated and partnered with NPOC in the event, and then it would be more that natural for them even to ask us so how can we join NPOC. If I did the strategic mistakes there, I'm sorry. The contact addresses to these organizations still exist.

Joan Kerr: Yeah, no I was just, you know, thinking from a membership development point of view what do we need to do if we're contacting organizations wherever we go for events that there is a natural invite to become members. That's all I was saying.

Or even to identify – even if we don't to invite because like you said, it would be natural if we had an event and then asked for the membership for them to join the membership. But maybe there is something that we have to do to send them some information about – I think you mentioned the value proposition to them and say, you know, hey, this is what we're doing or here are some of the PDP working groups, here are some of the public comments that you could be involved in like not just leave it by itself.

So that's something that I'm putting down as a to-do that we do do that because I think that's very important that we have a follow up. So thank you anyway, that was great information. So let's go on...

((Crosstalk))

Klaus Stoll: I'd just like to add something...

Joan Kerr: Sorry, go ahead.

Klaus Stoll: ...if you don't mind? My hand is raised, sorry, Joan. One thing, for example, let's think about in the future we are already in the same situation now Puerto Rico. Until the decision is made basically if we are going to Puerto Rico or if we are going to Las Vegas, in my opinion, it looks very much we have to go to Las Vegas because of the situation in Puerto Rico is getting worse by the week. But basically we should do the outreach to organizations in Puerto Rico or in the US already now.

And again, we have to be aware that other organizations have organizational needs too and we can't come a week or two weeks or four weeks before an

event and tell them, okay, join us – join us (unintelligible). I think ICANN and we should be aware about that fact.

Joan Kerr: Yeah, I mean, I see your point. But I think that – I mean, I’m thinking about in terms of membership, right. There’s something that we do in Canada, I don’t know if you do it in the States or if it’s done worldwide maybe – I see Rudi is up but I’ll get to you in a second, Rudi. I just want to make this point.

We have something called – we send out a little information card via email if you have a database, and we do, that says “save the date” and it basically gives you some information about what’s upcoming so that people are aware. And then, you know, for more information go to this Website.

So what you’re doing is that you’re apprising them of something that’s coming up so for example the dates that we’re going to be in Las Vegas or Helsinki or whatever. It’s like an awareness. And then you give them, you know, links to what is ICANN, what is NPOC, how to join, things like that. So I guess I’m thinking about – thinking about it that way from a strategic point of view. So that’s all I was trying to get at. I see that Rudi has his hand up. Rudi, go ahead.

Rudi Vansnick: Thank you, Joan. Rudi for the transcript. Well the idea behind the membership profile database is also to use it as a basic platform for potential NPOC members so that we register – if one of the NPOC ExComm or NPOC members just trigger potential members they could put it in the database as a non-member in such a way that when we do something we can communicate through that platform to them and inform them, look, that’s what we are going to a meeting over there.

This and these persons will be there. If you're interested join us at that meeting so that we can extend our efforts not only into the ICANN itself but also outside of the ICANN community and therefore we need to have a database that can be filled up with all potential members. I call them prospects so that the membership committee can take care of it and do the necessary follow up that allows us to communicate with them at the second level, the communication committee could also extend the efforts.

That would mean that we are going to extend our visual presence to those that are in that database. And secondly, it allows us also to collect some information and eventually set up a survey to request some of the members, can you help us, can you define what is of importance for you today so that – and actually what is today missing is we have 60 plus members today and we have only four or five members really engaged in the policy.

That's where I think the first efforts that we need to do now which is the in reach into our membership and try to figure out what is of interest, how can we help them getting involved. The ambassador idea, which is a follow up of the mentor/mentee pilot project, that could help people to start working with us without having any full engagement in a working group. I think that's quite important that we are able to extend NPOC's visibility not only be ExComm members in the working group but also other people. I think that's quite important.

Joan Kerr: Right. Absolutely I agree. I think that what we need to do is improve our value proposition to the members by involving them and by having programs that they can participate in. Any other questions, issues, comments about the Helsinki meeting? No? Okay so we can move on.

I'd like to also talk about – a little bit about just going back to the membership plan about some strategic alliances that we need to maybe engage – be engaged in. Fortunately I get to hear some of the work that the RALOs are doing, specifically ARALO. And I think it's – NPOC should be engaging with the RALOs and doing joint events. They do – because their members are also not for profits as well. And how can we work together and, you know, to better inform our members.

I don't know if anyone has any comments on that but instead of reinventing the wheel so for example they have a technology taskforce. And maybe that's something that one of us, probably the membership chair, should join to – and then inform our members about what are some of the issues that are forthcoming. And then tie that to some of the educational things that we are – and information, PDP, all of this, to what the members need to know so it's going from sort of like NPOC to the RALOs in ICANN to the members and to the tasks that they need to do such as policy comments and PDP workspace.

So that's one of the strategies that I'm working out right now and I'll send that to the discuss list. And all of this will be – anything that we're mentioning will be sent to the discuss list for input before they become programs or – for the future.

So Rudi mentioned the ambassador program a few times. I want to discuss that a little bit. So the ambassador program came out of a campaign that NPOC did which was to encourage a mentor/mentee relationship within ICANN which is for the Fellows program that is ongoing and is very successful. And through some lucky communications I guess, NPOC sent out information that the Fellows was looking for this – for mentees and that they would provide a mentor – an existing mentor for them.

And we got so much response from the community, which was quite exciting, that we thought, oh, people are wanting to engage, it's just what information and how involved and what is the purpose of the communication. So we came up with an idea called the ambassador program, the NPOC ambassador program. And we're designing that right now and want to launch it in June at the conference.

And basically this is sort of along the same line of having someone who knows about NPOC, knows its program and will promote it in their area representing NPOC. They will be provided with a mentor, the ExComm former or current person, and they will go out and engage – engage the organizations in their area, again, to build that relationship and to inform them about what we're doing.

So we're working out the criteria. The community will be the ones that comment on what the criteria should be and how it should be offered and who should become one; they will define that. So we will send out something – some communication that will allow people to do that because it should come from the community since they're going to be doing the work.

We're really excited about it because it will really, really I think have an impact on other people doing the work and organizations becoming involved in NPOC. And actually it would serve our purposes in terms of our representation of the not for profit sector as well as any policies that they need to comment on that – it all sort of gets integrated and accessible. So that's the program in its vision. And so in the next – I would think in the next three weeks we'll be sending out information on that. Questions.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes, I have a question, Joan.

Joan Kerr: Go ahead.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Okay, I was very much impressed by how many young people we had in the meeting in Marrakesh. It was really wonderful to see so many fresh faces, young professionals participating. So please when you circulate this information don't forget to put the list of young people that were in Marrakesh and how you're going to follow up with them because if you can keep this level of interest it's going to be a success.

As I said, I think ICANN is investing a lot of money in the Fellows and this is the easiest place and the best place to get more people involved if we just spend some more time with them. It was great. I hope you can keep up this work. It's excellent.

Joan Kerr: Yeah, great. Thank you. And I think that's a really good point that probably one of the first communications and dialogue we should have is with the Fellows program and talk to them so that we are, you know, it may be something that they should be aware of to help us promote it to the fellows. So, yes, very good.

Has anyone happened to visit the wiki space – the NPOC wiki space recently? Well I'm going to assume that's no. Oh yes, I see yes, yes and no. Maryam has been uploading a lot of information to the wiki space so we have – we're now starting to post information on the NPOC discuss list on the wiki space and on the Website. So I mean, we are trying at each entry point to inform people about what we're doing and that's only going to increase going forward.

So please, if you have some time do visit it. Any information that anyone has regarding the DNS issues – oh, here we have it on the screen, fantastic. Thank

you, Maryam. So as everyone can see – Maryam, did you want to talk a little bit about what you've done or? Maryam?

Maryam Bakoshi: Hi, Joan. Hi, everyone.

Joan Kerr: Thanks .

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes, hi. Thank you very much. So basically what we're trying to do is get people involved – part of the in-reach is to get people to begin to visit the NPOC wiki page and make it a bit more – or a lot more of a collaborative space than just having information sitting somewhere that people are not assessing. And so, you know, we just started work on it not too long ago and we are continuing the work to build it up and have a lot more information on it.

So please visit the page and if you have any ideas on how we can improve it and how it can be effective as an in-reach tool please reach out to Joan, myself, or the ExComm and let us know what you think about the wiki space. Yeah, thank you very much. Over to you, Joan.

Joan Kerr: Great, thank you. So as everyone can see we are trying to do as many things so that our members and potential members can have access to lots of information going forward. And I think that's all I have for membership in terms of – or strategy. I have written more comprehensive goal and objectives plan, which I will put on the Website as well and on the wiki. So any questions, comments, suggestions, anyone. We're all in agreement...

Rudi Vansnick: Well, I would like to hear some – a little bit – I would like to hear some – from Martin with regard to the fellowship.

Joan Kerr: I was just about to say that. Great. Yes, sure. Go ahead.

Rudi Vansnick: Okay.

Joan Kerr: Martin, are you there? He may be on mute. We also have – so we'll wait and see if he'll connect. We also have Matthew Camus from France, we'd like to welcome you, Matthew, and if you have a few words you'd like to say. Matthew. No. can't get him either. I think maybe Martin is on mute so – oh he's – we've lost...

((Crosstalk))

Rudi Vansnick: He's mentioning that is microphone is dead and cannot...

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Rudi Vansnick: ...talk on the Adobe connect. No problem, Matthew. (Unintelligible). Sorry for speaking French. I've known Matthew for several years now.

Joan Kerr: That's okay. That's great.

Rudi Vansnick: Well maybe that's also a question that we should try to put on our table for the future is what about translation? We have to...

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Rudi Vansnick: ...do everything in English...

Joan Kerr: Yeah.

Rudi Vansnick: And perhaps that's a feature for the future that we need to request so that we can do outreach in different languages while still having it in translated version. Otherwise you're losing a lot of your contacts.

Joan Kerr: Right, no great point. Probably Spanish and French would be the first ones but French for sure. So...

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: ...trying to get Matthew.

Rudi Vansnick: And perhaps a question to – well lot Carlos and Matthew, is there anything that you think we are missing that we are not doing that you expect we should do? Because that's very important to us. We need to understand what we have to do for you and not you to do for us, that's the most important question I think. If you could help us giving some guidance on this one well that could be very helpful in trying to put something together.

Joan Kerr: So Matthew is typing. And we've lost Martin altogether? I don't see him.

Rudi Vansnick: Yeah, we lost him.

Joan Kerr: So while we're waiting...

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: While we're waiting any – Sam, you're on the call, no? I don't see him either, not online.

Rudi Vansnick: Yes he is on the call.

Joan Kerr: Oh. Sam, did you have anything to say while we're – you've been very quiet. Must be that tractor.

Rudi Vansnick: Yes, go ahead, Sam.

Sam Lanfranco: Sam for the record. Hello everybody. Yes I've been very quiet. I've been listening and thinking. Several issues that have crossed my mind is that being on the NCSG membership application committee I got my head around the relationship between that and the NPOC membership application, and the ICANN statement of interest, that's one thing I need to clear my head on.

The other is that I worry repeatedly that we – even though Rudi has said it and said it repeatedly, we have to keep asking whether the – what is in this for a potential NPOC members when we go out and talk to them. It's not enough to try and tell them that they should take their vitamins and join NPOC and participate in ICANN policy making. There needs to be a very clear win for them. They have very limited resources, they have very limited time.

And the last thing I will say here is that I have been quiet because I at the moment have very limited resources and my time is being encroached on by a messy legal situation that I am in. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Great, Sam. Thank you so much. So Matthew mentioned capacity building. And that's a huge issue obviously, it's very important. So we've tried – are trying as well – to have a number of initiatives. Obviously we need to really focus on capacity building itself. We're using education to educate our members but we need to identify again what do they need us to provide and how can we do it. So thank you so much for that. And sorry that you're having problems speaking with us but we did get your message.

So the next person we still don't have Martin. Am I correct? Martin? He's mute. So if there – are there any other questions or comments because we're close to the hour and I just want to say please, everyone before we end is that we are having an election and I've posted the information – you will see information every two days to just to remind everyone to, one, ensure that you're an active member so if you haven't done so to please do so.

Maryam – the information goes to Maryam and she will collate that information and also then to apply if you're interested in being on the ExComm. And then we'll have the voting after that. So any more questions, comments, issues identified? I see none. So – oh someone else? No, we're good? So I think that's it. This is – let me say that this has been wonderful. I think that we have a pretty positive future and I really, really want to encourage us all to work together and to create NPOC as they representative and voice for the not for profit sector and address the DNS issues. So thank you all and (unintelligible). Thank you.

END