
TERRI AGNEW: We'll go ahead and begin this conference. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO monthly teleconference on Monday the 11th of May, 2015 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Murray McKercher, Allan Skuce, Konstantine Kalaitzidis, Garth Bruen, Gordon Chillcott, Alan Greenberg, Leah Symekher, Matthew Rantanen, Louis Houle, and Glenn McKnight. Evan Leibovitch will be joining us a little later in the teleconference.

We have apologies from Eduardo Diaz, Joly MacFie, and Avri Doria.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, and myself, Terri Agnew.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. This is Garth Bruen. And I very much appreciate everybody's patience, and I appreciate the input, and the work, that everybody has done, especially for Judith and Glenn, to come up with the agenda.

Now in terms of the elections for open positions. We had a call last week to introduce the candidates. Has this call recording been posted for that call? The meet, the candidates one? Question for staff.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

TERRI AGNEW: Yes it has.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Is it linked within this agenda for today?

TERRI AGNEW: Yes it is. And I just put it in the chat as well.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Wonderful. Thank you so much. So for anybody who did not hear that phone call with questions, open questions for the candidates, that recording is available. Now the, as has been discussed just before this phone call, the nomination period started on April 12th, and usually we have 30 days for an open nomination period.

Given that today is the call, and tomorrow would be the 30 day period, the ending of the 30 day period, since in the interest of transparency, since we usually have people on the call who would want to discuss this issue, I wanted to put the question out there, if anybody has an objection to ending the nomination period a day early? Just because we can settle a lot of this business while we're on the call and everybody here, and we have everybody's attention.

Would anybody like to speak to the benefit of speeding up this process by just one day? I'd love for somebody to give their opinion on why this is important. Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi, Glenn for the record. Yeah, I see real merit, since we are together today and we can discuss the nomination, so I see no real reason to delay it another day. Unless people in our audience feel that they're, the last minute nomination needs to be done. But I agree with the manner of your suggestion.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. I'm just concerned that, this is Garth Bruen again. I'm just concerned that we'd close it tomorrow, and then we would miss out on any opportunity for people to debate or discuss it, and but we would have the opportunity here right now. If anybody has any further nominations, if there are any discussions, any objections to this process at the moment... Glenn, you have your hand up again, go ahead.

Glenn. You were on mute.

So one of the discussions that we have [inaudible] the call was just bringing up the discussion about the election at the beginning of the call. We can actually come up with any decisions at the end of the call, but I wanted to make sure people were thinking about it during the call, and to give anybody opportunities to discuss it. Heidi, go ahead. You have your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you Garth. This is Heidi. Just to let you know that all positions, except the ALAC replacement position, the nomination period has closed. So that is within the 30 days.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So which is the position that is not within the 30 days?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's the replacement slot for the ALAC slot that Glenn is resigning from. It's the position for the ALAC, the elected position for the ALAC for the one remaining year that will be open, or available, following Glenn's resignation.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Why would the schedule for that be different?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Because that... This is Heidi again. Again, the official announcement of all other positions opened, I believed, on the 8th or so of April. I have to double check that. So that goes 30 days would have been the 9th of May, yeah, 10th of April. So then the other slot, the ALAC slot left open from Glenn's resignation, opened, I think, one or two days later. I think it was one day later. And that's why.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Is that seat being contested?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. No.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. So, given that this is the case, that the other positions, the nomination period has expired, this remaining post has one day left for nominations, we have not seen any additional nominations, and given that we're all on the call, at least many of us are on the call, does anybody have any objections to closing the nomination period at the end of the call?

We can leave it open for the duration of the call, if that helps. I see that Judith had train problems. I'm really aware of having train problems. Trains are horrible. So, Judith are you on the phone or just on text?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith. I am on the phone.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. So while we were getting started, we were talking about possibly closing the nominations on this call. Do you have any objections or kind of arguments to doing that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't have any... This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I don't have any objections. I do know that Joly MacFie is not on the call because he has a prior commitment that couldn't be moved. But I don't think he has an objection to that. I know that's what he told me, that he wasn't going to be able.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So this is Garth again. I think that the most active people are usually on this call, the most interested people are usually on this call. So anybody who is an interested party who would have an objection to doing this, would usually be on the call. So, if nobody has any objections, and I'm putting this out again, we can close the nomination period for this at the end of the call.

And Heidi, you still have your hand up. Do you have a new topic or is this the same topic?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Old hand, I'll take it down.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. Okay, so, then, moving on with the actual agenda. Judith, you missed it, I said thank you very much for putting the agenda together. And I am certainly happy to run this call, but certainly if you put the agenda together and you have specific items you want to discuss, I can hand over a portion of it to you, or I can go through the points that you put up here, or Judith, you can take the lead. What would you prefer to do?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It doesn't make a difference. I just want... This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I just wanted to put in that we really want, besides the election, is that we really want to recruit new members to go on to the working groups. That a lot of the working groups have one or maybe no NARALO members. And so I just wanted to make a big plug for that.

And I can speak to people afterwards if they have any questions about committees, that type of thing.

But that's really the plug I really wanted to make today.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. This is Garth Bruen. Absolutely, definitely, we need more representation from the region on the working groups involved in the actual work. So moving on with the agenda, past the roll call, past statements about [inaudible] in the nomination period. We have the policy development activities from ALAC. There are links there for the policy advice development page, and the public comment page.

The first in this section of the agenda deals with the ICANN draft for the fiscal year 16 operating plan and budget. Does anybody wish to discuss this item?

No? Okay. The next is statements in process. The first item is a second draft proposal of the cross community working group to develop the IANA stewardship tradition proposal on naming and related functions. ALAC is drafting a statement. Would anybody from ALAC like to discuss that? Glenn, you have your hand up. You have the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, sorry, I was trying to un-mute. I've been muting it just in case it's my system that's creating the echo. Can you hear me okay?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, we can hear you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So my question, back to the last item in the budget. Back to the budget issue. The issue that has arisen, you may have seen it in the discussion thread, is the fact that we, the ICANN can fund only one GA. So I'm hoping we should have that discussion today. We are very fortunate with the number of things that were actually funded, including the captioning and e-books, as two other examples that were funded.

But the issue of the GA. Originally, as you recall, we tried to do this GA prior to the ARIN meeting, and it's very close to the ICANN meeting coming up. So we need to, as a group, express an opinion from our membership, whether they still want to have it this fiscal year, or it's actually open for the following period as well.

So that's one issue that I wanted to bring up.

GARTH BRUEN: Glenn, this is Garth. What was the, just for everybody's education. What was the GA proposal? What was the plan that we were talking about?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So we have it as a major suggestion that it would correspond to the ARIN meeting, that we're going to have in Montreal. And that was a proposal by Evan. Now it is, there are limited funds. So ICANN decided to only fund one GA, either our GA or EURALO's. So that's the issue is

we need to decide, as feedback to ALAC on our opinion, whether or not we're willing to forestall it to the next fiscal period, or if there are strong opinions on this.

I know Evan has a strong opinion on this period. I could just say for myself, for everybody's record, I'm very, very busy with the Internet Society's event coming up in late fall. In fact, it maybe even in October as well. So I'm very restricted in terms of my availability for planning and doing that event. So I have no problem with EURALO doing it this round.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth Bruen. So I'm assuming that the GA that we're talking about for NARALO would be the one that occurs at their particular meeting that's in Dublin in the fall. Is that correct?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. The EURALO will be during, I guess, during or a few days before, it depends on how they want to organize it.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So the decision would be, or the alternative is that, NARALO would get a GA and they wouldn't get their GA, when the meeting occurs in their region?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. It's basically either/or. Both could not be funded. And again, I've expressed my opinion, why I don't have a problem of EURALO doing it this round, but my impression, and Alan and Heidi can jump in on this, is that we're looking at having ours, next round, when ICANN is back in North America.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. So this is Garth. So on the one hand, I would definitely say that it's probably not fair for us to get in the way of EURALO having a GA, while they're having a meeting in their region. Considering that we recently had one not too long ago. So what... I know Evan can't speak for himself. What is Evan's concern about this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Why don't I speak for myself?

GARTH BRUEN: You can speak for yourself, of course you can Evan.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead Evan.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. I didn't know you were on the call.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Thanks Garth. Okay, so, the point I'm going to make is going to be fairly simple. The idea of being able to have a meeting together with an ARIN meeting, rather than tagged onto an ICANN meeting, was a deliberate, as I recall it, it was a deliberate thing that was desirable in GAs. To have something that was outside of ICANN's sphere, to try and expose ALSs to something that wasn't just another ICANN meeting.

And so this was absolutely deliberate, and it was a core function, it was a core feature of the proposal that was put in. And so this opportunity is not going to happen easily, and frankly I'm convinced that it won't happen again, for most of our duration involved with this. I've been hitting my head against the wall, trying to propose General Assemblies, or some kind of meeting like this, for the last number of years.

And they've always been turned down. We put forward to have representation at trade shows. We've been putting forward representation also to things. I guess, at a personal level, I'm just tired of having things get shot down. It's absolutely unfair of senior staff, shove this back in ALAC's lap to make a judgment one way or the other. Frankly, having, you know, I have my biases, but frankly I thought that there was some innovation going on with this proposal.

That there was something novel, that there was something that had not been done before. I thought it was a good experiment to do. And in the year that we introduce the relationship between ARIN and NARALO, this was an opportunity that was not going to be repeated. Unlike the EURALO one, which did not, specific differentiating characteristics to it.

I mean GAs are GAs and they bear a significant similarity to each other. [Inaudible] using this specifically, to introduce members of NARALO to a different way of doing multistakeholderism, to do a different way of decision making. This was front and center to the way that this proposal was made. This cannot be repeated. This cannot just be kicked over to next year.

So I will, I've said my peace. I think it's a phenomenal opportunity, and it can't just be punted to another year. And I'll leave it at that. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Evan. This is Garth. So here is the situation. So what I'm understanding is that, and I remember this, and I recall this very specifically, is that we've had discussions about having regional, regional meetings. Which means that NARALO has meetings within North America, not at times there is an actual ICANN meeting, and that we have it at alternate events, which can expand At-Large's reach within the region.

And this is definitely something that we have discussed. And so I think that at least, I don't want to speak for Evan, it sounds like what Evan was proposing was not necessarily a specific GA as GAs go in terms of the ICANN meeting. And then maybe hitting our request against the EURALO, a typical request to have a GA when the meeting is in their region, is probably not fair.

But I'm going to, Alan has been waiting for awhile, and I want to give Alan the floor. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. First of all to be clear, General Assemblies are typically held in relation, in conjunction with ICANN meetings, but there is no hard and fast rule. There have been occasional General Assemblies, partially funded by ICANN, that have been at other locations. Evan is right that the opportunity to have a General Assembly at an ARIN meeting, particularly in the same year that we signed the agreement, looks like a nice opportunity. There is no question about that.

The question in my mind right now is, given that Glenn has said that he doesn't know how much time that he can put into it, since he has another meeting shortly before, I know that even though it's in Montreal, I won't be able to put much time into preparation for it, and Evan is now in Geneva. The question is, do we have the capacity to actually schedule a meeting?

It's a week before the ICANN meeting starts, and the ability of ICANN staff to work on it is going to be somewhat limited. So the question is, do we really have the capacity to put it on? If we do, then we need to have face to face, I don't mean face to face in person, but direct discussion with EURALO and try to come an agreement, because either the two RALOs decide amongst themselves, or the ALAC will have to decide on behalf of the RALOs.

The real question is, are we in a position to do it, to put on a good, high quality General Assembly? And I have some fears that that may not be

the case. But I think that has to be the first question. And then we can decide how we proceed from there. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Alan. This is Garth. I mean personally, I cannot travel of the week before the ICANN meeting. I mean, the ICANN meeting is going to suck up a week and a half of my time...

ALAN GREENBERG: Garth, to be clear, it's the week before week before.

GARTH BRUEN: So what are we talking...

ALAN GREENBERG: There is a week gap between, but from ICANN staff's point of view, most of that week is going to be busy because there is an education program going on in Dublin prior to the ICANN meeting.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So, Evan, you have the floor again.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks Garth. I have to concede the issue of the resources. Because I mean, if there is nobody to do it, there is nobody to do it. Then it becomes a bit of a moot point. I'll simply go back to, you know, I would also advice, recommend people go back to look at it. It was a very

specific proposal for a program, there was a very specific proposal for training, for a facilitator to come in, that was part of the budget proposal to have an expert come in and do specific kind of training on the day before the ARIN meeting started.

So that there would be one day, before ARIN, where it would be NARALO only, and there would be a specific program. And then the second day would include the engagement with ARIN. If the cycles aren't there on the day of programming, they're not there. But you know, what can I say? The proposal was made on the merits of what it could be done, and you know, if the cycles don't exist to pull it off, then all I can say is that it's a damned shame.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you Evan. Murray, you have your hand up.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Yes, thanks. Murray McKercher for the record. I'm still considering myself a newbie after three years. I wondered whether there was an outcome from the General Assemblies, that I've seen a list of them on the Wiki. So how do we leverage what's happened in the past and what outcomes have been there?

Just a quick question. Perhaps anyone can take that up. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Murray. This is Garth. I mean, definitely the General Assembly that we had in Toronto led to a larger recruitment effort, that

actually resulted in new ALSs and new participation. So that's definitely, that's one example right there. Leah, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yeah, I think Murray asked one of the questions I wanted to ask. And I think Evan also kind of explained the, what it would take to put together the General Assembly event, and the kind of details I was looking for because I'm not very familiar with it. So I'll go back and read what was already was provided for a better understanding.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. This is Garth Bruen again. I don't think that this is something that we should give up on. I mean, I understand the time constraints we have right now, but I think that this is a good idea. And I think that it needs reconsideration, and ARIN meets more than once a year. Is this not correct?

I believe that they do. They meet more than once a year. But anyway, okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, this is Judith. They meet three times a year.

GARTH BRUEN: They meet three times a year. Okay. Evan, you have your hand up again. Go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I was just going to answer, yes ARIN meets three times a year. They also have road shows that aren't quite the same thing, but they do meet three times a year, so a GA meeting held at an ARIN meeting next year as opposed to whatever ICANN meeting is in North America next year. However, the significance of doing this in the year of the initial agreement between... at an ARIN meeting... Personally even if there is, even as there is another North American ICANN meeting next year, there is a part of me that would still prefer to have a GA meeting rather than an ICANN meeting.

ALSs and the region [inaudible] like. Very few people know what the ARIN experience was like. I had the benefit of being able to go as part of my CROPP, and I'll tell you. The different approach to multistakeholderism, the different approach to decision making, it's quite a contrast. And I think it's worth exposing people to this different version of governance, that shows you the ICANN way of doing things isn't the only way.

There is other ways, both have their strengths and weaknesses, but you know, we're all about trying to bring people into Internet governance and to multistakeholderism, that kind of exposure, ARIN's meetings and their policies tend to be more on the technical side, and less on the business side, like in naming issues. I still think it's a valuable experience.

So even if this were to be put to next year, even if there was going to be an ICANN meeting held in North America, there might still be value in

having a meeting adjacent to an ARIN meeting as opposed to an ICANN one. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Evan. This is Garth. I definitely would agree with that. And I like your description of the contrast of multistakeholderism, and I think that it's good for us to see other models, especially as they deal with Internet governance. And I think that we should continue to pursue this, and this is disappointing that this is going on while we're going to be signing an agreement with them.

I think we really need to think about this, very hard. Okay. Then back to the IANA stewardship question, on the naming related functions. ALAC is drafting a statement. Can anybody give an update on that statement drafting process?

Nope? Somebody must be on the team there. Okay. We'll move on then. Statements to be seen to be stalled, none. A public comment request to which ALAC has decided not to submit statements. These are the release of country and territory names within Honda, AXA, [inaudible], SVC, XYZ, college TLD. Closes May 13th, that's in two days. The public comment posted in two days. New public comment requests requiring decision. The cross community working group on enhancing ICANN accountability.

Alan, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I was away from the computer for a moment, you asked about the CWG one. There is a Wiki space that we're looking for comments on. We are hoping people who have been somewhat conscious of what's going on. It's a rather complex subject, and a rather long report. But we're hoping that there will be people certainly in each region, and hopefully in NARALO, that have looked at it, and are willing to put forward what they think are the issues that still need to be fixed, to make it, proposal [inaudible] from At-Large position.

There is one set of comments already posted. There will be another set from me very shortly, and we're looking for anyone else who has the time and interests to put into this.

GARTH BRUEN: Alan, what are the comments that you have posted? What are they concerned?

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, I haven't posted mine yet. I said they will be posted shortly.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So you don't want to let the cat out of the bag? Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, these are things that we've been talking about on the ad-hoc working group. Overall, the proposal is, we had very, very significant problems with the draft that was posted in December. The proposal has

been completely changed since then. Far, far more in line with what we were advocating. So overall, we think what is there is something that is doable and acceptable.

There are still some details that need to be worked out, that have to do with the composition of the Board, of what will likely be the new company that will be running IANA, as essentially a subsidiary of ICANN. There are some other details still need to be worked out in terms of multistakeholder participation. I think our largest single problem is that we believe there must be a strong multistakeholder component to managing this overall process.

And it's not clear that is there in the current proposal. The comments that are made, the public comment will be taken into account. A new draft is supposed to be ready prior to Buenos Aires, with the hope that the ACs and SOs who chartered the CWG, and ALAC is one of those, will be able to approve the plan, and we will send on its way essentially to ultimately go to the US Department of Commerce, for hopeful approval.

So we are on a very, very tight timeframe. And we're looking for whatever input we can. But overall, we are moderately satisfied with what we have right now, but there are still some components, largely associated with ensuring a multistakeholder overview of IANA, and not just registries.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much, Alan. Okay. Does anybody else have any comments on this? Please speak up, raise your hand. All right. The next topic, GNSO privacy and proxy services accreditation issues

working group. This is a comment period which closes July 7th. It just opened last week. Does anybody have any updates or information about this that they wish to share? Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. This is an interesting one. As some of you may be aware, there has been the concept of privacy and proxy services for registration. That is, you can register domain name and keep secret from the public who you are, with that information being revealed under certain circumstances. This has been something that the privacy advocates have strongly supported, and that people who are looking to try to discover who it is they're dealing with, be it because it is illicit operations or just purely curiosity, have been dissatisfied with.

This is a PDP which is trying to set the rules because up until now, it has been a completely ad-hoc process. And not surprisingly, there is some disagreement in the group. And this is an opportunity for the public, those who are not actively involved in the working group, and we have a few people in At-Large who are, although no one from NARALO. And this is an opportunity for any people outside of the working group to comment on where they think this should go.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much. It's a critical governance issue, absolutely. All right. Next one. gTLD registry stakeholder group, R-Y-F-G, charter amendments. Opens May 8th and closes on the 16th. So, we in the community, actually have a say in the process of their group... Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Stakeholder group charters have to be approved by the Board. And typically before the Board approves anything, they ask the community if there is any input. So this is the kick at the can, so to speak. I've looked at and they're completely, from my point of view, maybe I'm missing something, but are completely [inaudible] and reasonable changes that they're making to govern themselves.

You know, there are some detailed rules on how the various working groups, how their internal groups work. They're adding an extra vice-chair in charge of policy and one in charge of administration. There are a number of things there. I didn't see anything which looks particularly offensive. But someone else might.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. Now getting into the next agenda item, community updates and recruitment drive. Now in terms of recruitment drive, this was Judith, brought this up at the beginning of the call. And I'd like to give the floor to Judith so she could discuss this specific item a little bit further, in terms of outreach and engagement, actually building metrics, new meeting strategy, social media, At-Large review, etc. Go ahead Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. There are several groups that have maybe one person on it, or maybe not even active person sometimes. And so that's why I was trying to do a recruitment drive to

try to get more people involved. Now the capacity building is not necessary capacity building, it's mostly working of webinars.

So last year, we didn't have anyone create any webinars for the NARALO. But each of the RALOs tends to have specific webinars for their regions. And so the idea is to draw up a list of topics that might think that NARALO might be interested in. And then [inaudible] Tijani or others can help you, create some webinars. We didn't have any. And on that one, Joly is listed, I think, and he's only for social media.

So it's not really on that. On the new meeting strategy, Eduardo is the only one on there, same with At-Large review. On metrics, I don't think we have anyone. So there is a lot of different committees that we could really use help on, do a lot of the work. Feel free to join the other communities, like Glenn and I are co-chairing the technology taskforce. There is also accessibility. So there is a range of different committees.

The ones that are listed on the agenda, are the active ones. There are some ones where, according to Ariel, are not very active right now. But I just wanted to try to get people to say they want to join, or get more involved. And so, also when we did the professional development survey, we got only seven people to respond. So it seems, when we're trying to figure out, how do we get NARALO members more engaged? And how do we get them to be more involved? And maybe they don't know about committee, what committees are open, what they do.

And so I just thought we could just put out an overall recruitment drive, and have someone sort of mentoring, telling others what each

committee does. And maybe it wasn't self-evident. And that's what I have to say.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you Judith. No, it's definitely a concern. This is Garth Bruen again. And I really appreciate you taking this effort. I mean, just quickly before I let Alan have the floor, we talked about this on the meet the candidates call. I mean, there are a lot of hurdles to get over. And one of them is just explaining to people what's going on in getting past all of the acronyms and the jargon.

I mean, this is really, really hard, and then even after you explain it to people, and get people interested, you know, how do we fund these different activities. It's not that easy. Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. This is something that's near and dear to my heart, as many of you know. And it's not just the ALAC and At-Large working groups that Judith has mentioned, there are all of the others ones that we have been working on. You know, we just had a discussion on privacy and proxy, something that is important to a lot of NARALO people.

We know. And yet, we have had virtually no participation in that CNSO working group. The IANA transition, there is only one person in NARALO, other than ALAC members, who have been active in the discussions. So, there is plenty of opportunity. Some things are technical, some things are not as technical, but we really need people to

be involved. And there are lots and lots of things going on in ICANN. And it would be delightful to have more NARALO people who are actively involved.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth...

ALAN GREENBERG: And more importantly, if anyone wants to participate, but doesn't think they're quite up to the level, there is nothing to say you can't participate silently, and there are plenty of people around who are will act as a mentor if you ask and try to get you up to speed quickly. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Thank you Alan. Yeah, we have some obstacles to overcome. I mean, this is a problem. And then in terms of, people who are already engaged, I mean speaking for myself and several of you, we're already at capacity, in terms of what we are able to participate in. And you know, it's a battle on both fronts. And there is no easy answer.

Okay. Vacancies of CROPP neither to be either of outreach or finance and budget committee. Alan, I think that's Alan. Is that Allan Skuce or Alan Greenberg?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Oh, sorry. It's Judith Hellerstein for the record. I guess, while right now, I can just give a little talk on this. We have restructured the outreach and engagement committee, and that needs new members also. But there is also the requirement, which I was trying to figure out how we can get around at the Singapore meeting, is how do we get new people? And if you have to become a regional person for CROPP, and to do the reasons, and to approve the regional activities, they will say you have to be either a member of the outreach, or a member of the finance and budget.

And we need one from each. And with the problems of people [inaudible] and it's harder, since Glenn and I were the new people on finance, that leaves an opening because we also need some more people to do, want to get new people for being the CROPP RTs, so Joly and Allan, and Allan is no longer on finance, and he's not on outreach. So we just want, we're trying to get new people.

And so because of the requirements, it has been hard for us. One of the things, I was trying to get some CROPP allocation at the Singapore meeting, but I was not able to get that. And it's also... We've lately had problems because of our CROPP, in turning around CROPP applications in a timely manner. If one person has an issue, computer issue, then we're like stuck waiting.

So this is why we're trying to get new people, new leadership in the area. And that relates to this, I put Alan down because it's his idea to redo the outreach and engagement committee. So that's why I mentioned Alan, and it was Alan Greenberg I think.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Allan Skuce does has his hand up. Go ahead Allan.

 You might be on mute Allan, if you're trying to talk.

ALLAN SKUCE: How is that?

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead, much better.

ALLAN SKUCE: Can you hear me?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, now we can.

ALLAN SKUCE: Okay. Yeah, I've had a little bit of discussion with a few people. And it still looks like, although I used to be a member of the finance and budget committee, when there was restructuring for people to be ALAC only that could be on there, that sort of took away my ability to be a CROPP RT. I said I would be willing to finish out this fiscal period, this fiscal year. And I don't know if there was an idea that the whole CROPP program was going to be revised into something else as well.

 So I'm not on top of that. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. Alan Greenberg, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. A couple of things. First of all, let's make sure we get our facts straight. Membership, participation in the outreach and engagement committee, or the finance and budget, is open to anyone who wants to be. So yes, there are members who are selected by the RALO and by the ALAC to the various groups, but anyone else can also participate. So there is no bar to being a member of those groups.

The requirement to be a member of one of the groups before you're on the CROPP, is a long standing one. And it basically says, if you're going to be passing judgment on whether this is good use of ICANN money for an outreach, and now outreach and engagement, trip that you should be familiar with what the issues are regarding finances, what the policies are, and in terms of outreach and engagement, you should be familiar with what we're doing to see whether this fits the model.

So being part of one of the committees was not a particularly onerous thing, and seem to make sense, certainly to the most of the ALAC in Singapore when this was discussed. So thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Alan. This is Garth. I can definitely see the benefit of having people who are familiar with these as a budget, or the outreach process, be part of the CROPP decision making. I do understand Judith's points. So maybe my question would be, is two people enough to manage the CROPP from NARALO? Are two people enough?

ALAN GREENBERG: I can speak to the experience over the last two years or so. And in my knowledge, there is only one case in all of At-Large that the two people were not sufficient, and that was one particular case in NARALO, where both of the members were not following things to the extent they should have been, and we also found out there was another problem in that they weren't formally notified when a new application was received.

And I think that has been addressed. So certainly over the life of the CROPP program, two seems to have been enough.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, okay. All right. We can come up with a solution to this. I think we can figure out a way to deal with this.

ALAN GREENBERG: I should say, the CROPP people are not named by the RALOs or the ALAC, they're named by the two committees. So, if the process for selection of the CROPP people is a little different than for the other groups, but the process of getting onto those two committees is completely open.

GARTH BRUEN: Well that pretty much answers the question of why this is the case, because the people are selected within those committees. Okay, but joining those committees is not, is an open process too. So anybody

who wants to be involved in CROPP is welcome to join those two committees. Okay.

Next we have the ALAC from Glenn, Eduardo, or Alan. We'll go in that order. Glenn, you can be first.

You might be muted Glenn. I see a red line through your microphone.

Okay, we can come back to Glenn. Is Eduardo on the call? I don't believe that he is. So, we can go back to Alan for any ALAC issues. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Well, a significant amount of ALAC focus has been on both the IANA transition and the ICANN accountability issues. So that certainly is something that's going to be... We should have started already, but we're rather late on, is the revision of the expectations for ALSs, the criteria for becoming an ALS, and expectations from ALSs. And that also includes what do we expect from RALOs.

All of these things which should be, in my mind anyway, should have been core things which we've never actually written down before. And we're going to be working on that in the next couple of months. So we certainly would hope there would be participation from NARALO in that process. That's going to be a major focus.

The At-Large review, which was also going to be looking at RALOs and ALSs is probably delayed by a few months. So that probably won't be starting in earnest until later this year, instead of almost immediately.

Other than that, there is just a lot of business as usual things, and we encourage people to join the ALAC meetings and participant in them.

GARTH BRUEN:

Alan, just, while so much attention is being paid to the IANA transition and to accountability issues, what would you say is getting lost in the shuffle, in terms of what ALAC might usually be doing were it not for these two issues?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Well, we're certainly not putting as much time into GNSO and, you know, the other related things. We have normally put a lot more focus on PDP activities, which are still going on, but have received a lot less participation. There are some ccNSO things that we're also not participating in quite as much, although they're not quite on the front burner anymore.

And the internal organization things like the ALS expectation and criteria review, which we've been talking about doing sense Los Angeles, has been delayed because of that.

You know, all the routine stuff we used to keep busy with seems to, you know, is somewhat delayed at this point.

GARTH BRUEN:

Evan, you have your hand up. Go ahead before I go back to Glenn.

Evan, go ahead, whenever you're ready.

Okay. Glenn, if you are ready, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. Can you hear me this time?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, we can hear you now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: As you pointed out, a major focus is the IANA transition. And you're right, there are issues that are probably, and I think probably what Evan is going to bring up in a second, if he can get his mic, on other policy issues that are clearly at the heart of what ALAC is. That's it from me.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. Evan, are you there?

No Evan. Cannot hear Evan. Okay. Evan is typing. We shall move along while Evan is typing. The next item is the newsletter from Eduardo. Eduardo is not on the call, so we can move onto NARALO...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Can you hear me now?

GARTH BRUEN:

Oh, Evan, go ahead.

Yes, we can hear you now Evan, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

You can hear me now? Thanks. Okay. I'll try and make this quick. Okay. Alan, are there any updates on the high level meetings that we were having, senior staff and Board members, about high trust TLDs such as dot doctor, dot casino, and so on? We invested an awful lot of time on that, and it seems like the door was abruptly slammed in our face.

The second question has to do with another ALAC member who is having a very hard time getting a visa, and it's going to cost her \$1100 to get a visa. ICANN is offering 200, so she's not going to attend her second meeting in a row. This is, to me, an absolute disgrace. I suggested in an email this be taken up with the ombudsman. I'm hoping maybe there is an update on these two issues. One of which is policy related, and the other one directly goes to our ability to provide a global voice. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Alan, do you have any response to that?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Sure. On the public interest commitments, the current plan is to essentially go public with the triage that we did. And I wouldn't say force the issue, because we don't have the ability to force the issue, but

to make it clear that we believe there is still a gap between what ICANN is doing, and what should be done.

We are optimistic that the GAC, who is the only group that has the real leverage, will in Buenos Aires take a strong position on this. And we're going to be meeting with the GAC on Tuesday. So hopefully we expect to see something coming out of that. So that's what we're doing at this point.

It's important that any position that we take is one that we can strongly defend, and defend in that there is a path forward. And there aren't a lot of legal paths forward at this point, so we're doing our best. Whether we fix the problem or not, I don't know, but we're not going down, we're not going to just be silenced and ignored completely.

So that's about as much as I can say on that. On the issue of the visa, I have taken it up with senior ICANN management. I have not had a response yet. I'm expecting a response. Evan did, most recently, suggest going to the ombudsman, no one had ever suggested that before, and it's an interesting idea.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much Alan. Louis Houle, you may have to un-mute your phone.

LOUIS HOULE:

Yes, just a little information there. I'm chairing an international committee on the IANA transition for the French speaking countries, with the International [inaudible] Organization. And this is Alan, when

the issue that has been raised regarding visa, many ISOC members in Africa have been facing that problem. So thank you for the information.

By the way, the focus of the committee is to try to provide some information and updates and communication, to [rule] that we are building, to [inaudible] understanding on what's happening with the IANA transition. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much Louis. That's good work. Fantastic. Okay. Judith and Glenn, concerning NARALO originated special requests within [CROSSTALK]...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Well, I don't know if we have time right now to discuss this, but we were going to... My idea was to give a briefing from the finance and budget call we had last week, but we only have one minute left. We could put that out on notes, and that these people that [inaudible], since we don't really have the time right now.

GARTH BRUEN: What are the major issues Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, I just wanted to... It was giving a briefing on the captioning pilot, the e-books, the General Assembly, and then some other, the items that

we won and that we didn't win. So that was, it was just going to be a sort of a highlight, a briefing for people. So, that was my idea.

And the General Assembly was the only one that was really a focus, and we've dealt with that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And Terri has put up a link to the budget development worksite, so and I sent out a note. And I'm going to form a committees help, figure out the pilot. And so we'll get that when I get some more information from Heidi, and after she talks to staff. But I don't think Heidi, you haven't talked to Josh yet, right?

GARTH BRUEN: Heidi, that's a question to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry I was on mute. No, not yet. We can start [inaudible], he has been informed, so he's aware that [inaudible] on all of this.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, so since we don't have that information yet, it was just going to be a heads up. But we don't necessarily have that. And Glenn posted the monthly report template that Glenn and I have been working on for try to get the idea of the monthly reports, more information both for the working group report and for the secretariat reports of different RALOs.

And then Glenn and I are working also to try to get a link into Confluence. And we're working with Dev and others to try and figure out how we can get that. Glenn posted on the chat about the e-books, that no one has contacted him about that, and he would also like to see a sample of some of the e-books that the communications staff have done.

So he can get an idea of what they need help with, or what suggestions to give, and see what else happens. So I know he's very interested about that. And earlier in the chat, and we posted it on the agenda, is the link to the template for the monthly reports. This is just an example, and the idea of that monthly report template, is that it would generate, right now it's generating into an Excel spreadsheet.

And we're looking at how to generate that into an email, or into Confluence. So, that is sort of what's... And Silvia has a question. She wants [inaudible] on what our decision would be for the General Assembly.

GARTH BRUEN:

Silvia, Garth [inaudible] what was the decision on the GA? From the discussion, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the discussion seems to

be suggesting that we do not have enough time to prepare for a GA at the ARIN meeting. And being put in the position of having to spoil EURALO's GA in the fall, which may or may not be an appropriate position to be in, I would think that we, this is something that we're not going to move forward on, but it is something that we have to keep hammering away at.

And if anybody disagrees with me, or thinks I did not summarize it correctly, please say so. All right. So next we have transition issues and accountability issues, and neither Olivier or Leon are on the call, and Alan gave a summary earlier of some of the issues.

There is also the monthly report template that Glenn has put up. Glenn, do you have anything to say about that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith. I just discussed that.

GARTH BRUEN: Oh, okay. That's right. You included that in your discussion. And then a re-chartering of the outreach committee. Alan or Dev, and that was also part of the discussion. Then finally, just closing the call, we want to make sure that everybody is aware of the leadership positions. And if because there are no objections, we're going to close the nomination for that filling of Glenn's seat.

So we have the contest in the ALAC position, we have Garth Bruen and Avri. And then for Chair, Glenn McKnight by a non-conflict and secretariat Judith and Louis Houle for that seat. Unaffiliated member

representative, which will be decided later. And the nominating committee representative, it has been recommended that Eduardo take this up.

Did I summarize the election issues accurately?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Silvia also wants to know, my assumption is we're doing a vote for the contested slots. And that we will be doing consensus email or call for the uncontested slots. Is that correct.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. Go ahead Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And then also, Garth, you might want to [inaudible] for everyone to lead, since this is a contested election, your, we have a new thing of nominating statements. So you may want to summarize what you gave on the call, and put that in a little blurb or hand that to Silvia to put up. So that people can read your statements.

GARTH BRUEN: Will do. Thank you. Alan, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I would suggest on the uncontested positions, if you have a consensus call, you have to address, what are you going to do [inaudible]? And since they're uncontested I would suggest, as has been the norm, that they just be acclaimed as winners.

That certainly what has happened in the past. You certainly can do a consensus call. I'm just always a little bit worried about how do you handle the eventuality that everyone says no?

GARTH BRUEN:

Right. Okay. No, definitely something to consider. Anything else? Anybody else have anything? No. Okay. We will move forward on the election for the two contested positions. And we will do a consensus call for the uncontested positions. All right.

Well thank you very much for attending the call, and I will see all of you later, or talk to you online. Thank you very much everybody. Have a good week.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]