

20150331_ccwgIG

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you, Renate. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. This is the Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance Conference Call, on Tuesday, the 31st of March, 2015.

Today's agenda is going to be reviewing the action items of our last call. Then we'll be looking at the deadlines for the events where the Cross Community Working Group would like to provide some input. We are dealing here as far as Internet Governance event are concerned, so we will be looking at the Internet Governance calendar. Afterwards, a little bit of groundwork on the WSIS Forum input, and then finally, we will be reviewing, quickly, just briefing the one on the submission of the workshop, for IGF Workshop number 163.

Any amendments to the agenda by anyone? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so the agenda is approved; then let's go forward with the roll call, please.

Renate De Wulf: Okay. We have Lynn St Amour, Rudi Vansnick, Olivier Crepin-Leblond; Rafik Dammak, he seems to have dropped off. And from Staff we have Nigel Hickson, Alexandra Dans; and myself, Renate De Wulf. Is there anybody on the call that I'm -- who is not in the AC room?

Rafik Dammak: I am here, Renate.

Renate De Wulf: Okay. Good. You are still here. That's it of it for the moment, Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: So, Rafik is still here. Thank you very much, Renate. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And let's have a look at the action items that we had on our last call. And there were a number of them. The two action items that remain open are for Marilyn to send updates to Alexandra Dans for the Internet Governance calendar. Alex, I believe there hasn't been any follow up yet on this, has there?

Alexandra Dans: Not (inaudible). No.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks. So, if it was possible for you to just, please, get in touch with Marilyn Cade, and find out sometime that would be great.

Alexandra Dans: Yes, Olivier.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: And then the next is for Marilyn to follow up with Nigel on the use of regional IGF, at semi-regional preparatory events for WSIS+10 Review. Nigel Hickson, have you been in touch with Marilyn Cade on this?

Nigel Hickson: No. I'm afraid we haven't -- we haven't yet. I mean, it's something we can -- What I've done separately is I've now got a list of all the events that are coming up, so I can, indeed, discuss the regional and the national events with Marilyn to see how we could, perhaps input material, but of

course, that material has to be developed as well; which is I know part of the discussion you are having. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Nigel. The other -- It's Olivier speaking. And the other three action items are closed as they relate to today's call, and so we have effected those. Are there any questions or comments on the action items?

Hearing no one put their hands up, let's move on to number 3, and that's the deadlines for the events where the Cross Community Working Group would like to provide input. We have two links in the agenda. The first one is a calendar of deadlines needed, and that's a Google Doc, which Alex has worked on with Marilyn Cade. The second one is this diagrammatic timeline of deadlines. We've got three global (inaudible) and activities for 2015, both in a PDF and a JPEG version.

Ideally what we should really be looking now is to try and focus on specific threads, the ones which are more likely to relate to ourselves, so it relates to the CCWG itself. It's pretty hard to follow up with everything, and I don't really have any specific plans for this. I was hoping that we would have Marilyn Cade helping us on this.

Nigel, you are also involved in the overall Internet Governance space with all of the different deadlines. Lynn, you were also very much involved in all of this, Lynn St Amour, so you are absolutely welcome to make suggestions on this, and which ones of the different -- we needn't say deadlines, threads should we particularly focus on. I must admit, I'm somehow overwhelmed by the number of meetings that are there. It's not even a full-time job, it's a fulltime job for a complete football team, and football in the wider sense of the term, it could be soccer or American football. So, I'm not quite sure which one to focus on. And I open the floor right now for comments or suggestions as to the way to move forward on this.

Okay. So, we are all at a thin-mark moment. Where do we go next, as far this is concerned? Do I have a -- did I just hear, Nigel, or?

Nigel Hickson: Sorry. Yes. Good afternoon. Nigel Hickson for the record. I think the document you are -- had some problems, with the various documents. But if the document you are referring to is the sort of timeline for a whole range of, you know, different activities, then I mean, clearly you are right, there's not -- I mean it doesn't -- there is an awful lot there, but I think what helps probably is to break it down into the different sort of tracks, and I'm sure that's what Marilyn would say if she was -- you know, if she was on the call.

So we have the -- you know, we have the IGF track, we have the track concerning the WSIS process. We have the track concerning various ITU, and others. So we -- I mean we can sort of go through the tracks that, you know, I mean, in your hands how you want to do it. You know, perhaps I could just mention, I think that the most important, although I know that's completely subjective, but the most relevant track perhaps, apart from the IANA which of course is in a separate field, so to speak, is the WSIS track, as we call it. And the WSIS (inaudible) is very much in Geneva at the moment, with the next significant event being the CSD, the CSD Plenary Meeting in the first week of May.

Now at that meeting we will be giving input on our proposal, probably on two proposals. The same proposals we gave input into, as some of you may recall, back in January, when we consulted the group on the mapping exercise and on a paper concerning the WSIS+10 Review. And those papers, again, will be published in the next few weeks, and we will be able to give comment on those for the meeting in the first week of May.

And that meeting sends a recommendation to ECOSOC, which is in New York. It's the Economic and Social Committee in New York. And that Committee then, endorses that recommendation on the WSIS Review and sends it to the U.N. General Assembly as one of the inputs for their

considerations in December. So that's one track that goes up to December, and I think it's a track that we can at least -- we can focus on where we can sort of make input, et cetera. Thanks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you, Nigel. It's Olivier speaking. Now just to make things clear, is that the -- are you speaking about the WSIS Forum input, or is that different?

Nigel Hickson: So, yes. That is different in a sense so -- there's a track, if you like, leading to the formal WSIS Review, the UNGA WSIS Review Conference in December, and the components of that are CSTD, I mean, the components in the past have been the UNESCO Conference in 2013, the High-Level ITU Conference last June. And the other inputs, also the CSTD meeting in May. The WSIS Forum is an annual event that the ITU hold every year, and the WSIS Forum looks, if you like, historically at the progress made on the action lines under the WSIS Program, so that meeting is going on.

It's extra -- the ITU are giving it extra prominence this year, because not only is it their 150th Anniversary in May, and this meeting is at the end of May as well, but also because it could be the last WSIS Forum, potentially, or it is the last WSIS Forum before the UNGA Meeting. But UNGA may of course decide that you don't actually need a WSIS Forum in the future.

So the ITU are putting on a good show. Fadi Chehadé is going to speak in the opening session, and we are running a workshop, and at some point either today or in a future call, we are going to just discuss what sort of -- what I was going to sort of inform, and I can later on, or in another call; the placeholder we've put down for this workshop, and how we might involve, you know, the Cross Community Working Group in this workshop, but now in your hands on that. Thanks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks very much for this, Nigel. It's Olivier speaking. And I've now -- I'm sharing my screen to show the diagram of the different points that you've mentioned here. And you touched on the CSTD, and the 18th session of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development, that's the one that you were speaking about, wasn't it; the 4th to 8th of May in Geneva?

I cannot hear any feedback on this. So that was one, and that--

Nigel Hickson: Yeah, sorry --

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah. Go ahead, Nigel.

Nigel Hickson: Yeah. Sorry. Yes, that is the track. So I think you've got your -- I wish my eyesight was better -- So you've got your pointer on that, on the CSTD, and it then - that's the 18th track, and if you go to your -- yeah, this one where it goes through --

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (Inaudible)?

Nigel Hickson: Is that same 18th session. That's the 18th?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah. There's the 18th session, and many, many different outputs to this. So, one output goes to the ITU Council, but the other output one of them goes to the 18th session of the CSTD throughout the rest of May. Then there is one which goes to ICANN 53, and ICANN 54; and one which goes to U.N. ECOSOC on the 21st and 22nd of July, the Economic and Social Council, the ECOSOC; and then there is one output that appears to be going to the end of the year, that goes to the 10th Internet Governance Forum, IGF 2015. Is this correct, or does this need to be updated somehow?

Nigel Hickson: Well, as a -- as an aside, I mean in -- This is Nigel Hickson. I mean everything is linked to everything and, you know, there are others on -- Lynn is on the call, and she has, naturally, experience in this, and could describe it better than me. And so doubt there are linkages, but the main linkage from the CSTD is ECOSOC, that's where the resolution goes. I mean, the resolution could be looked at by the IGF, it could be looked at by ICANN, et cetera. It could be looked at by

the ITU Council, but it's U.N. ECOSOC where the resolution goes on to the CSTD, and then to the U.N. General Assembly, so that's the main route.

I mean, the ITU Council in May also is really separate, now the ITU Council is also going to pass a resolution on WSIS, noting the importance of the WSIS process, et cetera, and that also will be sent to the U.N. General Assembly. But the formal track is for the CSTD process. And the Internet Governance Forum, of course is in Brazil, in November, and the mandate for the continuation of the WSIS Forum is also being considered by the U.N. General Assembly in December as well. At the moment, as you know, the U.N. -- sorry -- the IGF, the Internet Governance Forum, has a mandate that lasts -- from the U.N. that lasts up to 2015. So Brazil is in 2015, Mexico have indicated they'd like to hold the 2016 conference, but the U.N. have to give a renewed mandate -- well, I mean, that's supposed to be the process in December. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And I note in the chat that Lynn St Amour, thinks that focusing on the WSIS track is good. And Alexandra Dans, mentions to us that the dotted lines are actually indirect connections, between the events, they are not direct connections. And Rafik Dammak has put his hand up, so Rafik, you have the floor.

Rafik Dammak: Okay. Thanks. I have problem in Adobe Connect, I cannot see the diagram. However, so maybe if we want to be more practical, can we kind of categorize those events by those where we can provide input being at a -- probably the ICANN staff was planning -- or is planning to submit a statement or comment. So this is an area that we can work with. Or, those event where there is maybe workshop like the WSIS Forum, where we can submit workshop proposal with the ICANN staff. So if we can categorize this milestone event, conference, whatever, in this manner that will give us some guidance.

What is possible to deliver, and then we can -- we'll kind of timeline, just to know, I mean, how much time we can have, and then maybe we may need to do some prioritization, or just, for example, for some input, we can really send more time to work on that for other, maybe just an ICANN staff, I mean, led by Nigel, so we can work on the statement, and we can give it back, and so on; so just to be more practical here, in what we can achieve. So, if we have some categorization kind of mapping then we can prioritize where we can spend our effort, because I don't think we can stretch our limited resources in any fronts, so.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks very much for this, Rafik. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I think a very good way forward. And since we have spoken specifically of this, the CSTD and the WSIS+10, perhaps that will be the first -- the first input that we would need for this, and therefore, maybe if Nigel can enlighten us, the 18th session of the Commission on CSTD is from the 4th to 8th of May. Is this the input that we will be looking at producing in the next part of this call?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Thank you very much, Olivier. Nigel Hickson. So, as I mentioned earlier, and I realize it's not simple, so the main focus of the CSTD Meeting in May is going to be the adoption of a recommendation, or a declaration, or a resolution, they are called different things. It's probably going to be a resolution. And this resolution effectively is based on an exercise that the UNCTAD, who runs CSTD, has done. And this is a document that essentially looks at how effective the WSIS process has been.

So it does -- you know, since WSIS as adopted in -- the WSIS process was adopted in 2005, have more people being connected to the Internet in the world? You know, are we a better place in terms of the Internet, in terms of affordability, accessibility in terms of education, in terms of skills, in terms of health, in terms of eGovernment? And it's a comprehensive study that looks at a whole range of issues, including Internet Governance participation.

And that is going to form the basis of this resolution, and that document is going to be available, I hope, in the next couple of weeks, and once it's available, you can certainly, as Rafik has correctly identified, we can circulate it, and seek comment from, you know -- Yeah, seek comment from the

Working Group, and then we can feed comment in, into the Working Group, and then we can speak to that at the meeting. And there will be people from the Working Group at that meeting, and certainly Marilyn Cade, I suspect will go to that meeting. ICANN has observed a status, so we can go along as well, we have to speak after governments, but we can give an input. So that's one positive document that we comment on.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier speaking. What are our deadlines then? Do you have approximate times and timings, so then we can have action items saying, at this time, that we can already schedule what conference call or what week we want to have a conference call on the topic, and what timings we are to expect?

Nigel Hickson: Thank you. Nigel Hickson. So I -- I mean, it's difficult. We were promised the document at the beginning of April, so of course I suspect it will be next week. So when we -- when the document is on the -- when the document appears on the appropriate website, we can circulate it to the -- you know, Renate can circulate it in the usual way. I can, perhaps, flag out those parts which are more relevant than others, because it will be a long document. And we can have a consultation. So it would be -- in terms of time scale it would be like mid-April, because probably we would have to give comments by, I suspect, you know, the last week in April or something. We will have to give comments back.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thank you, Nigel. Olivier speaking. So that would give us only a couple of weeks to be able to come back. I'm just worried, of course, the amount of turnover it takes to be able to comment. So, Alex, is taking note of the times and dates, and so on; so mid-April we expect the request, and we expect to have to file an answer by the end of April. So now, what's the next one; the next deadline that we would have; the next thread, I guess, or maybe even in the same thread?

And I note Rafik has put his hand up. Rafik, is that an old hand, or is that a new hand?

Rafik Dammak: Well, it's an old hand.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks. Back to you, Nigel.

Nigel Hickson: Thank you. Nigel Hickson. So, it's difficult to identify a concrete next step after the CSTD. As I said, the document goes from the CSTD to ECOSOC and we don't have any -- that's not our process. In ECOSOC it's debated by governments, so that's outside of our process, really, as well, or mainly governments. But there will be, in the WSIS process, and we can come back to this, because it's going to happen, you know, during the summer or after the summer. During this process, from June onwards, there's going to be certain stages where we are going to, if you like, where there will be a public consultation of the documents that are going to be considered in New York in December.

So whether that's going to be in July or September or October, but at least two or three stages, probably we'll have a document, or we'll have documents, which we can give a view on. There will be this consultation on documents that are going to the General Assembly in December. So it's just, I am not sure of the exact title for these documents. And it won't be until at least July, that we'll have a document to look at. I'm not saying there won't be other documents in other areas that we can't look at, but in terms of the WSIS process, it will not be until July. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. So, Alex, if you can -- I guess, record that July will be the time when we are to expect a follow up on the document that would have been designed or addressed by the CSTD. Now, that's one thread, there are, obviously, other threads as well. With regards to the IGF, we've been through the first set, which is to send in a workshop request and we'll come back to this in a moment. But beyond that, do we know any follow-up timing for IGF, where we might to provide further information or anything? Or are we pretty much set on that track, and no need to produce any additional -- any additional document, et cetera?

Rafik Dammak: Olivier?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Rafik?

Rafik Dammak: This is Rafik, speaking.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yes, go ahead. You have the floor.

Rafik Dammak: Well, I mean, I think in the IGF (inaudible), needs an explanation of the process for review to be forward by the MAG. I don't think that -- I mean, it will involve the workshop. Those who submitted the workshop proposal, but I think just maybe in case that if they can -- if they ask to merge or to make some changes, that can happen, that's all we -- we can do that, but it really depends on the outcome of the review. So hopefully it will be approved. The worst cast, let's say, they as for merge which as some changes, that I think we can do that.

And then after that, if we get the workshop approval, I think that we have really to start to work more on the substance, about the content, the plan, and all -- to confirm with all speakers and so on, but I think that we will speed (ph) down and that the stage, maybe in June, and later on.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Rafik. Olivier speaking. And you will have noticed I've now switched to the Google Doc which has a number of meetings listed, a number of events listed, and I gather a large number of them, have to do with WSIS and WSIS+10. In your view, are there any other events that we should prepare for, or that we should be sending submissions to, as far as the current list is concerned? I note, for example --

Nigel Hickson: Olivier?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah.

Nigel Hickson: This is --

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah. Nigel, if you want. I mean, I was going to list a few, asking for examples. Of course we've had the UNESCO and IGF conference, but I note there is UNESCO annual assembly. Is there are going to be expectations of input coming from, well first, is ICANN going to submit anything to the UNESCO Annual Assembly? Or, is there going to be input coming from the community, or any topics discussed at UNESCO Annual Assembly, going to be pertinent to our community. That was one question I had, but perhaps you wanted to discuss other things before that. Nigel Hickson?

Nigel Hickson: Olivier, Thank you. Nigel Hickson. It's difficult, isn't it? It's quite a list. So, I mean, if we go from the bottom, then the ITU-WRC, is the World Radio Conference, that doesn't really concern us, that's all about Spectrum. At the UNESCO Annual Assembly I don't think I have any input to that, and it's of interest to us, and because it will take the output from the UNESCO Conference we've asked on the last call, that was the Joining the Dots Conference that took place in March. And as we discussed n the last call, the Annual Assembly will take that output and might bless it, and then that output will go to the U.N. General Assembly, but we don't have a locus (ph) on that.

There's been, you know, ICANN in Dublin, and the U.N., and the Millennium (ph) Development Goals Summit, which of course is critically important, but we don't really have a locus on that. The U.N. ECOSOC we've touched on, so I think we've done most of those. I was just going to mention two things, which are sort of ongoing. Well, one is the Cyber Space Conference in The Hague, this is Cyber Space 2015, and I think we touched on that; the 16th and the 17th of April session. And there might be some documentation that comes out of that which is of interest, but there's documentation that's available to us. There are government papers that are being discussed between governments, but that's all as far as we are aware.

- Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Olivier speaking. Sorry for jumping in, but no input expected from us then at that point?
- Nigel Hickson: No. I mean, Fadi Chehadé will speak ahead and, you know, the various bilaterals, that we all have with the governments and other IGOs, but the -- and there will be a piece of paper coming out of it, a bit like most conferences these days, or there will be some sort of declaration or communiqué, which we might be involved in looking at on the spot. But as I say, the -- that there is some sort of document being drafted, but just between governments I'm told. So we haven't seen it. I mean if we get our hands on it, we can circulate it for information, at least.
- Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yes. Thanks for this, Nigel. It's Olivier speaking. As you'll notice I'm now coloring boxes. So in the red for conferences in which we are not expecting that there would be input from our community in green, where we are. In (inaudible), or light blue, where there is a conference of interest, but there is no input expected from our community. Rafik, you've put your hand up?
- Rafik Dammak: Yes. Consider Nigel mentioned the -- that's the Cyber Conference in The Hague. So, yes, I think as he explained, that it's mostly government-oriented, however, I think since this year, they are trying to open to other stakeholders, and they are getting more civil society involved. So maybe, Nigel, if you can give more -- you share, more details, but I mean, the plans of ICANN there. I mean I like what you did for the MWC, just to expand, so what you are going to do. And I think there are some people from the community will be attending, and I'm planning to do so.
- And also, maybe we have something missing in that planned, but maybe it's quite late to provide any input or to propose workshop,. However if more goods will be there, it can be good to report. What will happen with the Freedom Online Coalition Conference. So, this is something maybe just to follow what will be the outcome there, but it's also, it's more government coalition, even if they are important -- I mean more -- other stakeholders, so just this an, you know, the ICANN Staff has made plans for this conference just to share, I mean, with the group, as we discussed previously, just to report, and so on.
- Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks, Rafik. Nigel?
- Nigel Hickson: Thanks very much. Nigel Hickson. Yes, of course. I mean, what we ought to do -- well, what we can do anyway is provide as much information in advance of the Netherlands conference about what bilaterals they are having, and this is being coordinated by Jean-Jacques Sahel, who is the Regional Management to Europe, but I'm doing it with him, so we can provide information on that. The Freedom Online Coalition is in Mongolia. I think, Ulaanbaatar, because I saw it and thought that would be a nice place to go, rather than Geneva. But, yeah, I will follow up Rafik to see if anyone is going. I mean, probably as you say, people will go to the community, but I'm not aware of any ICANN Staff that are going, but I'll follow up and we can report on that.
- Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. If Ulaanbaatar doesn't strike me as a major airline hub, it might be in the future. Lynn St. Amour, you have to put your head up, so you have the floor.
- Lynn St. Amour: Thank you, Olivier. And apologies for my silence earlier I was having difficulty with the microphone. I put a note in the chat room as well. The Internet Society was always very involved in the conferences. We had participants, workshops, speakers, plenary speakers, (inaudible) and Marcos was present, so perhaps reaching out to them to understand what their activities or plans are there, and whether or not if any intersection between the efforts of this group, and them, would just be another shift in another channel basically.
- Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this. Thank you, Lynn. You were speaking about the ECOSOC?
- Lynn St. Amour: No. Sorry. The series of security conferences, the next one being in Hague.
- Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah. The Cyberspace 2015.

Lynn St. Amour: Yes.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. So, maybe I'll put on there then, and plus ISOC. How about this; coordinate with Jean-Jacques and ISOC. Are there any other conferences on that list that we should be highlighting specifically?

Lynn St. Amour: I'm just jumping in here at the moment, but the IGF consultations would seem to be a little sweet spot for this group.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: That's a good point, yes. Thank you. I was looking for that. I didn't see the -- Yeah, obviously -- So does that - The CSTD is the follow up. I think that we heard from -- what we just discussed now, so is input -- Nigel, if you could just remind me, and I'm sorry if I forgot, there is input needed for this CSTD in Geneva on the 4th to 8th of May?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. This is where the WSIS will be discussed, let me say that.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Excellent. And the WSIS Forum is the next thing that we were going to speak about, I think; and that at the end of May in Geneva. I think we've gone through this list, if I can just give it a last call for this list that we have at the moment. Do we have to add anything else to this for the time being? And then we'll leave it in Alexandra Dans' hands, with Marilyn to perhaps beef up the parts which are missing on there. At least we've got a few of the deadlines now. Going once, going twice -- Okay. Well, thanks for this. Let's move back to our agenda. And let me see; how do we get back to our main thing. Here we go. And now we can look at the next part of our agenda, slightly delayed is the discussion on the WSIS Forum input. And we have two names in the agenda, one to the WSIS Forum website, and one to the open consultation process, that is I believe currently in place.

Well, Nigel again. Sorry to be soliciting you so much today, but would you be able to take us through that, please? And you might muted. --

Nigel Hickson: Ah. Yes. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: There you go. You're back. Go ahead.

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Sorry. Nigel Hickson, here. Well I'm not sure about -- the WSIS Forum website presumably is the website of the WSIS Forum, so the WSIS Forum, as I mentioned is the annual sort of forum that the IT hosts, although they host it, they do it -- they hold it in conjunction with the other U.N. agencies, that have responsibilities for the different types of action lines. So, for example, UNESCO has come along to the WSIS Forum, and UNCTAD, and other agencies, the World Health Organization, perhaps, they come along to the WSIS Forum, and they report on progress, on action lines, to either health, and e-skills, or whatever. But it has a high-level segment, and a high-level segment, ministers invited, et cetera. And as I mentioned that's on the Tuesday, and Fadi Chehadé is speaking in that session.

In addition, they have sort of workshops and other types events, and we put in, as I mentioned on - as I mentioned on the call, previously for a workshop, and although I'm not sure it's called a workshop or a forum session, but anyway we have put in for a session, which is taking place on the Thursday, and at the moment the session has got a title, which we can potentially amend or adopt -- or adapt, but the title at the moment is, ICANN Contribution To Implementation of WSIS Action Lines, including the introduction of IDNs. So this is on the agenda, and you can find it on the agenda, it's on the timeline. And so, really it felt to be, this is what we put in as a -- obviously thought that it would be useful to hold a workshop, and as I think I mentioned before, ICANN are our partner of the ITU, initially, we help sponsor this event, and as a basis of that, we get the opportunity to hold this workshop.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking, and I'm currently scrolling through the actual agenda, draft agenda that's in there. And for the Thursday, you mentioned, was the time when you were thinking of having a workshop. I can see many, many different -- oops -- sorry for this -- many, many different workshops that run in parallel, for the Thursday is where my cursor is, or my pointer is, and I believe this is the one, it's that ICANN contribution to implementation of WSIS Action Lines including the introduction of international as domain names. ICANN Room C-2. Is that the one, Nigel.

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Sorry. Nigel Hickson. Yes. That's the one, that's the one we have late on the Thursday.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. So that's the overall agenda, and now on the open consultation process there was a Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3, Phase 4, where we've now reached Phase 5, with the final brief. And is there input that will be needed in that then?

Nigel Hickson: Yes, frankly -- Nigel Hickson -- Yes, this. I mean, I know the open consultation process, I think is a bit of a grand title, it's really the way that the ITU try and do this, and they are -- they do generally try and be as open as possible and lucid (ph), so this open consultation process allows people to sort of input to the overall program. They hold physical meetings, where people can go along and discuss the program, and discuss the issues. There's a separate process which is to do with prizes. The issue, size as to organizations that have done particular things under the WSIS Action Lines, and ICANN had put in applications for this as well, perhaps safely successful. So, there's a number of elements to this meeting, and then there's various sort of open café sessions. There will be dialogue, et cetera.

So, I think you are right though, just cutting it short, I think you are right, and we are nearly at the end of this, I think they are past the submission deadline for -- request the workshops and issues like that, but we are now at the -- yeah, we are now getting towards the end of it.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah. Thank you, Nigel. Olivier speaking. And the Final Review Meeting took place on the 2nd of March, so obviously the input needed to be -- well, submission deadlines for this was the 6th of February on this.

Okay. Are there any questions on this process from anyone on the call? I don't see anyone putting their hand up. I'm not really quite sure where we want to go with this either. Obviously we need to be prepared for that, and ICANN is running a meeting there. I haven't had a chance to look at all of the different component parts of the agenda, but looking at it some of it seems to be pretty much outside our premise (ph). Implementation of clouding, computing technologies and ICG 4D (ph), and I'm just quoting at random.

There appears a lot on cyber security and cyber law, and that of course is an important agenda at the moment. So we do have many different workshops that are available there, and of course the outside track. I note that the Internet Society is also doing a workshop there -- and should I move this to this site -- I'm wary on that. On the 29th, Friday the 29th, there are also a number of workshops taking place from other organizations that, of course, we interact with quite liberally.

I'm not really sure what action item we can take out of this one, for the time being. Is here anything that you would need from us, Nigel, at this very moment in time; any commitments?

Nigel Hickson: Olivier. It's Nigel Hickson. I think it's completely in your hands on, you know, trying to do -- I mean, it's up to you as a group, I mean, if you feel that you want to be involved in the session, then, I mean, we haven't really done anything on planning the session, so I mean we are quite happy to plan it like we would plan a session -- an ICANN meeting. And, you know, we can do it together, or we can plan it and invite speakers from the group, or I mean, in your hands, we can open it up a bit. We can tell the ITU we want to expand it a bit, and give other examples of, you know, where we are contributing to the WSIS process; yeah, sort of, really in your hands on this. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: So Nigel? Olivier speaking. At the moment there is a name to the ICANN session there, are you basically saying that this is still quite openness to how this will be run?

Nigel Hickson: Well, I mean I think, yes, although I mean -- two things, in terms of what the title is, I mean, I think if we went back and called it, you know, something completely different, some people might be a bit -- if we change the whole nature of it, but we've given an example there of international domain names. We could also talk about other issues that ICANN is grappling with like DNS security, we could talk about the gTLD Program. We could talk about a number of different elements of it, so you know, we could change the title slightly. And also, of course in terms of the format of the event, I think we have an-hour-and-a-quarter or something like that. So we can decide what sort of format we have, whether we have a panel session or whether we have a round table type format, I'm not sure of the room configurations, but you know, we can do things.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And what's your deadline, by which we really should be set on this one?

Nigel Hickson: Well, I mean the event -- so the end of May is -- so I think, you know, if we wanted to change the title, we ought to be telling the ITU in the next few weeks, I suppose, and then they can change the title slight. But I think in terms of planning it, we've got quite a bit of time, because we can, you know, essentially, from physical considerations, but I can ask about those in terms of what you would layout and things like. Basically it's all session, we can do what we want with it for that period of time.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier speaking, and I realize time is ticking as well. We just have a couple of minutes until the end of this call, and we don't need that much more time. Let's put this to the side, and carry it to the next -- our next call, as well. At least now we have a better idea of what is possible, and we can follow up on the mailing list. And I certainly would like to be able to follow up after this call on the mailing list.

Returning to our overall agenda, and so I've stopped sharing my screen yet again. We still have just a quick discussion or a quick reminder of the submission for the workshop, an IGF workshop. So it's come out very quickly actually, during our last discussion that we had in our last call, we had a -- I think it was an action item that we would be working on putting together, and we as in the Working Group, the Cross Community Working Group would be putting together an actual workshop, or a proposal for a workshop at IGF.

That doesn't appear to have happened as such, during the week, and so Jordan Carter, who appeared to -- well, who happens to be in Istanbul, Nigel Hickson and I -- was also in Istanbul for the IANA Stewardship Transition, and for the ICANN Accountability Cross Community Working Groups, had a quick brainstorm between the three of us, and thought, well, do we want to not send anything from the community or do we still want to move forward and have something, a workshop proposal. And so having quickly discussed this also with Rafik online, the third Co-Chairs of this Working Group we came out with a quick description that would be effectively based on the Cross Community Working Group on IANA Stewardship Transition, and the proposal is actually not to look at the topic itself, but look at the method by which the topic was processed and was tackled.

And so the idea is to have some insights, to see insights from participants in the IANA Stewardship Transition, to look at how the bottom-up, multistakeholder model was used to make those tough operational decisions that were needed, all along the way to reach consensus and to have a proposal ready for the U.S. Department of Commerce, how initial positions held by stakeholders were examined; lessons to be learnt, perhaps, for other Internet Governance issues, from the experiences of the participants in this process.

We are really looking at a study, a case study one would say, of an operational multistakeholder bottom-up process that had to reach a very important decision indeed. And I think that's not something that's been done before, so we felt it was a good opportunity to be able to showcase this, especially in light of the fact that the IGF is taking place before that meeting in New York where the future of the IGF and the future of the whole idea of multistakeholder systems, is going to be discussed at the U.N. General Assembly.

I think I've covered the idea behind the workshop. Rafik or Nigel, do you wish to add anything else on this, or?

And there were concerns, if I may say in the meantime, there were concerns also that this might just be yet another workshop about IANA Stewardship Transition, and this is not at all what we are looking for. The topic, IANA Stewardship Transition, just happens to be the topic that needed that multistakeholder input. We are studying the multistakeholder part, and we are trying to showcase the fact that a multistakeholder community with very varied interest, and sometimes to start with, that were absolutely opposite, opposing each other, managed to reach consensus in -- I think maybe took a while, but it managed to reach consensus, and that's what's quite interesting about the way that it might fit together.

Now, you will have seen a number of people listed on there, and importantly due to the very short timeline on this, we have listed a few people that I haven't, or neither has Nigel been able to contract yet, but that's our next quick steps. And I see Lynn St. Amour having put her hand up, I suspect she might one of the people. Lynn, you have the floor.

Lynn St Amour: No. No, Olivier. I was just going to say that I followed -- I wasn't able to participate, in helping with the proposal development at the end of last week, but I did follow (inaudible), and I actually do agree with Marilyn's point. But I think what you've laid out, you and Nigel, and those (inaudible) the workshop is a great idea. I think there's a lot to be understood behind the process, and how these work, and what are some of the elements that we probably don't take enough time to explain. So I think focusing on the methodology and the results, as you've laid out is a great idea. I think it's a really good idea for a workshop.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yes. Thanks for this, Lynn. It's Olivier speaking. I'm happy to hear that you think it's a good idea, but you are actually listed in the -- one of the proposed participants, for the workshop.

Lynn St Amour: Yeah. I did -- I did see that, because that's irrespective (inaudible).

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I was hoping you'd say yes. So you are going to participate, I hope that you will be able to join -- I don't want to call it a Panel, because there are so many people there, but we looked at this, and had to find something that was very balanced, and I think it would be quite interesting to have the insights of how the ICG manage to reach consensus, and certainly in the naming issues, it has been a very long process, and in the IGF and the RIR processes it's been slightly different, but the processes, again, have yielded consensus. Quite fascinating and I would hope that this is going to be taken on, and taken up the MAG, because I don't think we've seen any similar workshops so far at the IGF. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard a lot of theoretical principles of Internet Governance, et cetera, that this here is not about principles, this is about reality of things.

Any other comments, or questions? I don't see anyone putting their hand up. If any of you has a suggestion, perhaps to refine the language. I know that this has already been filed with the MAG, I don't know to what extent we can amend some of the language, or provide further information for the MAG to make its decision on this. I'm not well aware of the internals of how the MAG works, but if you do have any suggestions as to how to improve this, you can send this on the email, and that's also one action item for me to do, is to actually send the pointer to that workshop on the mailing list.

We are six minutes beyond the end of the official time. I don't have a call back-to-back with this, so I must be late for my next call. But is there any other business? I don't see anyone putting their hands up. So, thank you very much for attending. And let's see. For the next call I think we had decided to go on biweekly call timeline. Is that correct, Renate.

Renate De Wulf: Yes. That would be good.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Rafik, if you are still on the call? Am I --

Rafik Dammak: Yes. I think it would--

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: So we would not be meeting next week, but we would be meeting two weeks from now. Is that the plan?

Rafik Dammak: Yes. I think it's more important having called this action item, and to follow up and to get maybe some volunteers if we have (inaudible). So probably it's to find out how to--

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Excellent. So let's have -- Let's have the next call, or the Doodle for the next call on the week of the 13th of April, that's in two weeks time, so we are missing next week, because I think that's -- well, there will also be a lot of people that will be away. But the week of the 13th, Doodle calls for those, please.

Renate De Wulf: Okay. I'll do the Doodle call.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Fantastic. Thank you. Am I missing anything else before we close off? Any other business? No? Well, I have to thank you all for being on this call. I think that's been very good. I'm quite pleased with the outcomes and process forward. We, of course have a number of action items to follow up with Marilyn Cade, and Alex, and with the timeline -- the deadlines needed, and so on. And we look forward to hearing from you, Nigel, next week, I think, when you said, we would be hearing more about the CSTD, and also the consultations and so on. I've kind of forgotten what we will be hearing about, but we'll have some follow-ups, with the next couple of weeks.

And with this, I'd like to thank you all. And this call is now adjourned. Goodbye.