

---

**TERRI AGNEW:** Welcome to the LACRALO monthly teleconference on Monday, 20<sup>th</sup> of April 2015 at 23:00 UTC. On the Spanish channel we have Alejandro Pisanty, Alfredo Lopez, Carlos Vera Quintana, Carlos Aguirre, Humberto Carrasco, Leon Sanchez and Aida Noblia. On the English channel we'll have Dev Anand Teelucksingh. On the Portuguese channel we have Alyne Andrade. For apologies we have Juan Manual Rojas, Sylvia Herlein Leite, Ricardo Holmquist, Johnny Laureano, Gilberto Lara, Cristian Casas and Natalia Enciso. Carlton Samuels just joined us as well.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Rodrigo Saucedo and myself, Terri Agnew. Our Spanish interpreters are Veronica and David. Our Portuguese interpreters are Esperanza and Bettina. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, and over to you, Humberto.

**HUMBERTO CARRASCO:** Thank you very much. First of all I would like to say that Alberto Soto is not here. He's at the doctors, so he's not sure he'll make it on time to the meeting. I will lead this call. As I said before, I believe that I will proceed with the approval of the Agenda. As you can see, the Agenda is posted on the AC room. The first Item on the Agenda has to do with some topics that will be led by Rodrigo Saucedo. He will speak about the review of certain projects. Then we'll proceed with the Action Items from our previous meeting.

After that, we will speak about the different documents for a review update, the declaration of SOIs, and then we'll speak about the proposal

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

to recruit new ALS and the metrics proposal. Then, if we have time, we will speak about the Working Group Report. We will need to speak about the Buenos Aires Showcase and then Any Other Business. Since the Agenda is adopted, I'll now give the floor to Rodrigo Saucedo for him to deliver his presentation. Go ahead please, Rodrigo.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO:

Thank you very much Humberto. First of all, I'd like to thank you for this opportunity to participate in this meeting, for the opportunity that you give to ICANN to participate in the meeting to update about those strategies. Today I'll deliver a very brief presentation. I'll speak about four projects that we're working on with some LACRALO Members. Before going into details, I'd like to speak very briefly about these topics. As you know, in April 2013 the LAC community presented the LAC Strategy at the Beijing Meeting. In May 2014, a year ago, we had implemented about five pilot projects.

In June 2014 there was an implementation plan that was presented to the community with the rest of the projects, and this is divided into two periods - the first period goes from August 2014 to August 2015, and the second period for the implementation of the remaining projects goes from June 2015 to June 2016. As you can see, we have the overall implementation, which is composed by 75 projects. 15 projects out of these 75 are already initiated. We have the communication of projects or plan, which involves five or six projects. Then we have some other projects involving two other projects, and the roadshow is composed of two or three projects.

---

So they make a total of 15 projects. In the period comprising August 2014 to August 2015 we are implementing 15 projects, and we have 24 projects for the remaining period. When it comes to our first implementation period, we have already started with 24 projects out of 36 projects that are in total, and there are some remaining projects. Now, when it comes to the LAC community participation, well, we have 31 people actively involved, and 14 people that are actively involved in the Caribbean region. There are certain people that are part of the Steering Committee and they are in the Working Party, and they are also working on the remaining LAC Strategy Project.

Here you can see a list of people who are participating in one or more projects of the strategy, as you can see, from Latin America and the Caribbean. This presentation will be available for you, posted on the Wiki page shortly. Now, how [unclear 00:07:20] the LAC community about this projects? As you can see, and as you know, we have newsletters that are released on a bi-monthly basis, and we have a session devoted to updates regarding the strategy.

After the Singapore Meeting the ICANN website was officially presented for the LAC region, and there is a site specifically devoted to the LAC strategy, and we are also using social media channels. Since last month, and on a monthly basis, we are now organizing webinars to speak with the community in terms of the updates regarding this project. Well, this is just a quick overview or outlook of the strategy. Now, I'd like to go into details and provide you with a summary of the projects that we're working on specifically with LACRALO.

---

The first project, as you can see, you can also see the code of the project. This is a capacity building project. In this case we're talking about webinars. The Working Group is composed of Alberto Soto, Humberto Carrasco and Carlos Aguirre, and what we have done is create a curriculum with topics for webinars for the whole year during 2015. We've created a calendar for the whole year to deliver the webinars, and there you can see the link where you'll find the complete schedule for the webinars.

The second project is a way of supplementing the content regarding capacity building, and this is capacity building for LACRALO. If I'm not wrong, LACRALO had a very specific Working Group for capacity building, and they have created a course called Introduction to LACRALO. This course has certain topics, and this is a very complete course. It's a three of four-hour course. So the Working Group has decided that in order not to duplicate efforts, they've taken the content of that specific course and will deliver it into this project. It will be divided into different topics. They will reuse the content already created, and we'll add new material because we'll create video material - we will have supplementary material.

The third project that we're working on now with the community is this - to create content for Internet users to determine the level of knowledge that they have on ICANN-related matters. On this project we're working with [Mazi Juero 00:11:32] and Alberto Soto. For this year, what we will do is this - we will create a kind of trivia contest or a quiz. We've already created 50 questions. We're developing an application for Facebook. This application will be in English and Spanish, and persons accessing it will be able to decide which language he or she will use. It will take 60

---

seconds, and in 60 seconds that person will have to answer as many questions as possible. The one that answers the most questions during that 60 seconds, we have a free ticket to Buenos Aires.

We're also working with Dev and with Alberto Soto in providing support for outreach events in the regions, so as not to duplicate efforts for transparency and to simplify things. So we will allocate budget for one or two additional trips. We'll have to decide on this, but we'll do this through the CROPP. That is to say, LACRALO has already five trips assigned within CROPP, so we'll use that within the strategy and we'll allocate an additional trip, but what is the additional value of this project?

The idea is to create, at the very beginning of each FY, together with the LACRALO community and the GSE Department in ICANN, a calendar with all the events in the region so that the region may have a calendar and a strategic view of all the events. We'd like to avoid that at the end of the year, or after the CROPP, where there are not so many trips or pending trips, or unused trips. So the idea is to make the most of all the trips by having a well organized calendar with all the outreach events in the region.

The idea is also to try to create a balance between the Latin American region and the Caribbean region in terms of trips. If we are offering an extra trip we will be balancing the situation, and we'll be able to provide three trips for the Latin American people and three trips for people coming from the Caribbean region. These are the four projects that we're working on with the LACRALO community so far, and as you can

---

see, the Working Groups are small Working Groups. They're composed of three or four people.

But it's very important that active LACRALO Members are well aware of these Working Groups, and that you do participate and get involved in the projects, because these projects are not projects that will be carried out only once. They will be repeated on a yearly basis, so we need people in the Working Groups to decide what we will do next year, or perhaps in this year in some of the projects. Now, how can you get involved? This is very simple. You can get in touch with any Working Group Members or GSE Members.

There you have the information of the GSE Members. You can see also the links where you can see the LAC Strategy Plan. There you'll see a description of all the projects, and then you have the Implementation Plan. This Implementation Plan is already divided into the implementation period. This is all for me. Once again, I'd like to thank you for your time and for this opportunity to provide this update. Now I am available for questions. Thank you very much.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Thank you very much Rodrigo for your presentation. This is very clear. I'd like to give the floor to the LACRALO Members participating in this meeting. If you have any questions, doubt or comments, please feel free to speak. I see no hands. It seems everything is pretty clear.

---

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: I would like to congratulate Rodrigo for this presentation that he has given us, and this presentation he's shared with us. It's very important for us. My question is how can we get involved, how we can engage? Because I think everything going on there is essential.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I will now give the floor to Rodrigo and then maybe we can ask Silvia when we can open the trivia contest, because this is going to happen in Buenos Aires.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: Thank you Antonio. I think participation is very easy. What we are doing now is basically having a brainstorm in our Working Group, and I, as a project manager, what I do is I present and produce the projects and I create documents for each project. I always have the support of the Working Group. That is, each Working Group creates a mailing list where we exchange ideas, and we prepare each of the projects. Going back to what Humberto asked, we already have the questions in Spanish and in English. We are working with a social media agency and they are in the process of developing the design and application itself.

We are going to have it ready for the second week of May, and then we'll be ready then to be more engaged in communication and invite all of you to participate.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Now there is a question from Silvia that's still pending. What is the timeframe for you to get into the trivia?

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: As I said before, we're going to start playing with this trivia on the second week of May, and we're going to leave it open at least for two or three weeks. We need to determine this, because if there's a person from the Caribbean winning this prize, we need some time for the visas. There's no problem for Latin America, but for the Caribbean there may be some issues with visas. I'm not really sure if we need to define how long we will determine for each person to play. It will probably be about 50 to 60 seconds, and the person will be able to participate only once.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much. You are working on this then? We are going then to try and provide the information. There's a question from Dev here, also for Rodrigo. What would be the eligibility of persons to enter the trivia contest? Only Members of LACRALO or other persons as well? Or persons who are Members of an ALS?

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: This is a very good question. It's actually open for all of the Latin American and Caribbean communities. As you know, the aim in this project is to reach the Internet end users. So it's open to all of you - for all the people of the Latin American and Caribbean region.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: So in the end, the Members of the ALSes could also participate? I think this is the doubt that Dev was raising.



---

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: Yes, definitely they can participate - ALSes can participate.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay. There's a question from Fatima Cambroner, so I'm going to give her the floor now.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO" If I'm not mistaken, when we designed the strategy and thought about this project, our idea was to have the participation of LACRALO Members, to assess the knowledge that they have of LACRALO or At-Large in general, and somehow to give an award to LACRALO Members. Now this is being opened to the whole community - it doesn't matter if they are involved in LACRALO or not; they can participate and they can travel to the Buenos Aires Meeting? This is something I'd like to confirm.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: This kind of comment is what we want, Fatima, and this is the contribution, the input we need in our team. Your input is very important, because you are one of the persons who actively participated in the drafting of the project. Unfortunately, I was not working in ICANN at the time, and that is why we are just meeting with the group to see if we can make this a little bit more open, but if you believe it should be left for LACRALO Members or ALSes only, this is something we're leaving for the end. In the end, these are projects for the LACRALO community, and you are the ones who decide.

---

You are more than welcome to be part of the Working Group, and we will determine how you want to do it in your community.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO”

Thank you Rodrigo. Unfortunately, recently I’ve been a little complicated to work on this, but if you want, we can organize a teleconference and I can tell you about the background of this project and how we can contribute it to the group.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO:

Thank you very much Fatima. I see Carlton still has a question. He’s asking what is the aim of the trivia. Now that we have Fatima here on the call, maybe she can explain this a little better. What we want to do is have a new way to engage the LACRALO community. It’s a new way, a little fun, a little different way than what we’ve seen so far. What we want is to award engagement, participation, and what a better way to give an award than just seeing the knowledge each Member has of the LACRALO community?

Are there any other questions so far? Any additional comments you’d like to make? Now going back to Carlton Samuel’s question, undoubtedly what we want is to push and increase participation, and to push up the enthusiasm for the LACRALO community. It is very important that they feel motivated, and to show some new, or fun way to be part of the LACRALO community.

---

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much Rodrigo. Thank you for having answered all these questions and provided clarification on what you're doing together with the RALO.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: Thank you very much. I need to say goodbye because I have another engagement.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: You are now released!

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: Thank you very much, and goodnight to you all.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: What Rodrigo has told us is definitely very interesting. We're going to see how our Action Items are doing. As you know, Alberto Soto is not here yet, so he cannot really inform us about whether he has got together with the ALAC participants for the At-Large Review Working Group.

ALBERTO SOTO: I'm here.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I thought you were not on the call.

ALBERTO SOTO: I have just gotten on the call right now.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Rodrigo Saucedo has just finished his very good presentation and we were going to go to Item #5 of our Agenda; reviewing the Action Items. It's regarding the At-Large Review Working Group.

ALBERTO SOTO: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to you all. I have not been able to meet, because I have been travelling. Tomorrow, or this afternoon, I'm going to send an email to the Sub Group so that we can deal with this issue, and then I can inform you by email. Unfortunately I cannot deal with this before. I'm not really sure what the Items are on the Agenda.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: These are the Action Items that were pending from our previous meeting.

ALBERTO SOTO: What I did is I informed the group about those who volunteered to do this. This is something that I did manage to do.

---

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much Alberto. Then we have Carlos Aguirre who is going to do an overview of the webinar planned on the capacity building Wiki page. Carlos, do you have something to say about that? Carlos, are you there? Terri is uploading the link. This is where we can see all the issues. You can review them. Alberto, do you want to make any comment on this issue?

ALBERTO SOTO: I don't want to make any comments with respect to Carlos's issue.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Alberto and Humberto will publish showcase updates on the Wiki page.

ALBERTO SOTO: I'm sorry, I didn't understand.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: In the Adobe Connect I was showing you what the issues were that were published - the list of issues. I'm now going to go to the next pending issue, which is the fact that Alberto Soto and Humberto Carrasco will publish showcase updates on the Wiki page. In the end, this is what you have done.

ALBERTO SOTO: That is correct. Everything we've done so far has been updated on the Wiki page. There is something missing, that I managed to confirm today. We're going to deal with that on the last Item, the Showcase item. Is

---

that right? That is so far what we've done. We've added to the Wiki page. At some point we're going to deal with the Showcase and when we finish this meeting this is going to be included on the Wiki page. There is no problem with that.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you Alberto. Carlton Samuels is asking if he can ask a question with regards to the Review Working Group. Is it a closed Working Group? What would be the Agenda? Maybe you can answer that, Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: I can say something, but if Rodrigo is still here, maybe he can answer. This doesn't really have the characteristics of a normal Working Group, but Rodrigo contacted me and [Mariza Aguerro] and asked us if we wanted to do something with the GSE, so we said yes, and the three of us worked on creating this trivia. This is not a closed group. If you want, we can open it. So far, opening the group has not really been very fruitful actually. It's only showed a delay of the task. If you want, and there is a need, we can open the group.

The main objective is to have one of the Members of the LAC region to have a paid ticket - and there is not enough money for other expenses, but it's enough for the ticket and the hotel so far - and it's going to be used for the Buenos Aires Meeting. This is going to be done through the ICANN Strategy Group. Now, the trivia is based on questions on ICANN. There are technical questions, there are WHOIS questions, there are also IP issues and the idea is that whoever knows the most - we haven't

---

really finished with this. We don't know what the selection is going to be like, but probably the one who knows the most in the least time will be the winner of the ticket and the hotel.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Maybe you misunderstood my question. Are you talking about the At-Large Trivia Working Group?

SILVIA VIVANCO: That's right, Alberto. We're talking about the At-Large Review Working Party for the review we're going to do.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is actually a totally open group. Anybody can get in. If Carlton wants to be part of the group, maybe he can confirm this on the chat room. I'm going to send an email to the group so that they can include him. Carlton, can you confirm this on the AC room? Then I can send an email to the Working Group. The link posted on the AC says that emails can be sent so you can join the group. Those who are volunteers are already part of the group.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: There is also a comment from Alejandro Pisanty that has been answered, but he says it would be ideal to open participation for the activities proposed by Carlos Aguirre. Carlos Aguirre has a problem with his mic and he says the participation is possible by coordinating this. So

---

there would be no problem in opening participation so that everything is clear.

ALBERTO SOTO: Here's my answer to Carlton: the group is absolutely open, and in the meetings that we've had, somebody else just joined by email later on, and then after that I informed the Working Group. There was someone who asked that. It wasn't Cheryl. I can't remember who explained all these issues. If there is anyone else who'd like to join the group, there is of course no problem.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Even though the Agenda has been assigned? Antonio?

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: I haven't really understood what the objective is of the group. Maybe you can explain to me what the activities are that you're going to be engaging in.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Alberto, go ahead.

ALBERTO SOTO: Well, this Working Group is carrying out a review. I don't know if it's going to be a 360 review. This review is carried out every five years. Basically, they're doing a review of the existing relationship between or among the ALSes, ALAC and ICANN. That's why I said it was very



---

important to focus on that and to have many Members participating on that Working Group. They will decide the working method and the relationship. That's what they're discussing. That is to say, the relationship among ALSes, ALAC and ICANN. They will review procedures. If there are modifications or if any modification is required - basically this is the remit of the Working Group.

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: Thank you very much Alberto for your explanation. Now it's clear to me.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay. Aida, thank you for your comment. You said that Holly Raiche is a Member of the Working Group, and so is Aida also. Great. I think Alejandro Pisanty is also in the group, if I'm not wrong, and Antonio Medina Gomez, right?

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: Yes, I did, but I've been a bit conflicted. Thank you again for your explanation.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay. Aida, I see that Alejandro is confirming his intention to participate in the Working Group, and I see also Aida. As I said before, I will be working with an email that was sent by Holly. Fatima is also included in the Working Group. She was already participating in the Working Group since the Singapore Meeting. Great.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay. Are there any other questions regarding this Agenda Item?

ALBERTO SOTO: Humberto, would you like to lead the call, or would you rather that I lead the call?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Please, go ahead Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay. Great. We are now on Item #5 on the Agenda. Well, that is already finished. Now we have the publications of the Memorandum of Understanding. When it comes to that AI, the publication of a Trust Memorandum of Understanding on the Wiki page, we have a Working Group. That Working Group is composed of myself, Antonio Medina and Alejandro Pisanty. We have three RALOs, which have already signed the MOU - NARALO, APRALO and AFRINIC. They have already signed their MOU with their respective RIRs. LACRALO and EURALO are still pending, so I will send the information by email for you to read.

You'll see the three MOUs already signed. Alejandro Pisanty and Antonio Medina Gomez are from the Working Group and are already informed. I'm trying to meet them as soon as possible to continue with the definition of this information. I haven't sent them for translation yet, because as you know we have one document in Spanish and two in English. I haven't sent that material for translation because I think it is

---

enough for the Working Group, so we do not need an official translation, but we need just to have the information.

So if you access the Working Group or if you access the Wiki page of the Working Group, well, you will be free to access that information. The idea is to have the information as soon as possible. The MOU is very simple. The only thing I see as a benefit for LACRALO, and to tell you the truth, I don't see much benefit for our NIC, but it's of a lot of benefit to us. Any questions or comments regarding this Item?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I would like to know if you have any updates on the MOU and if it's possible to sign this MOU before or during the Buenos Aires Meeting?

ALBERTO SOTO:

The ideal situation would be to sign this MOU during the Buenos Aires Meeting. That's why this is a very simple document, and taking into account this MOU that we might sign in Buenos Aires, if it's approved by LACRALO, well, based on that we will be able to advance on other agreements and topics of other RALOs with their respective RIRs. But we're still working on that, and I'll explain that in the meeting we'll hold afterwards, but I wish we could sign this during the Buenos Aires Meeting.

Okay. Are there any questions or comments? I'm reading Alejandro's comment. As I said before, the idea is to sign this MOU during BA. If not, we'll do it afterwards. The following Item on the Agenda is the documents for review and updates. Humberto, go ahead please.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much Alberto. I was working on the documents and I was able to systematize all these documents - the one related to the procedures for the creation issues and publication statements, and the proposal to recruit new ALSes. There are certain observations to be taken into account that I need to discuss with you - as I mentioned before, Alberto. I believe we'll be able to send this document for translation during the course of this week to have a webinar later on, or submit the document for public comment.

When it comes to the metrics proposal, well, Sergio Salinas Porto has sent an email, and he says that this document is already translated and that we can proceed with the document. I'd like to mention that Sergio has sent his apologies because he would not be able to participate during this semester, because he's delivering courses and he won't be able to participate in the LACRALO Meeting. But he has sent an email saying that the document is ready and that we can proceed with the document. We'll coordinate with Sergio for the next steps.

ALBERTO SOTO: Great. Thank you very much. I believe that we'll have to do something about this, because Sergio is quite busy, he has many health problems, and we are quite delayed in this regard. Perhaps I will speak with Sergio to see if we can find a replacement for him, but it is to have this information within the next 30 days, because we have an important delay for this document. Humberto, go ahead.

---

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: That's fine, Alberto. I agree with you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay. We will do this. I will speak with Humberto regarding the questions he has asked me. We will finish with that topic and we will try to have a webinar to deal with the metrics and the other document. That is to say, to discuss the three documents, because otherwise we have many meetings and other webinars as well, and we won't have enough time. We'll have only one webinar for the three documents. We will agree that with Humberto and then we'll let you know when we will schedule the webinar. I hope that you can participate. Are there any other questions or comments?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: We will provide that information in due course.

ALBERTO SOTO: You say that Sergio is not on the call?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: No. He sent an email. Perhaps you were not able to read it because you were at the doctors, but in his email Sergio says this: that he would like to speak to us to discuss the next steps for the Working Group, and the same applies for the ccTLD Working Group.

---

ALBERTO SOTO: That's fine. We will speak to him and see what we will do next. Dev, yes, translations will be available before the webinar. We will have enough time. We will review the information with enough time, as Humberto said before.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I would like to tell you that the metrics proposed document is officially translated, and the most recent version has already been posted on the Wiki. We have the three versions and you can download the document in a Word document version.

ALBERTO SOTO: I see Dev is saying that this is too much to review in one webinar. Dev, we are still with this. We will delay the issue for a long time. We have already posted the documents and I think people have had enough time to read the documents. This will be the third webinar and we need to proceed with this information. We have published every single document. New translations have modifications, as was requested by some of you.

So we cannot delay this, because otherwise this is a never-ending situation. The idea is to have one webinar, and I think it would be good to have one webinar, because if everyone has been able to read the document, that's fine, because we've already published it.

---

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Alberto, I'd like to make a comment. Perhaps we can deliver one webinar. We may try and address the three documents during one webinar, and if it's not enough time we can have a second webinar.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, that's fine. If one webinar is not enough, we may organize a second webinar, but I'd like to kindly ask you to read all three documents before the webinar so as not to repeat the same things, and so as not to repeat the topics that have already been discussed because otherwise, as I said before, it is a never-ending cycle. Are there other questions or comments? There is an Item regarding the IANA transition. I have already said this about the IANA transition - there is nothing else we can do. We might draft a document, but once the proposals have already been presented to the ICG, the NRO have already presented the proposal and the IETF...

There are some groups that are still working, and there is an agenda. If you want to know more details about the ICG, they hold open calls and they are translated into the different languages. We are constantly receiving information about the ICG. Now, let's talk about Item #8 - the Buenos Aires Showcase. On the Wiki page - and I will circulate that information by email - I will send you a reminder with all the information regarding the BA Showcase, because I see there are many people who've not been able to access that information.

At the last meeting we had, there was a possibility to offer tango classes, and this is already achieved. We will have tango classes during the Showcase, or tango lessons. The duration of these lessons will depend

---

on the budget. The tango lessons and the gift that we will be providing will be defined by the Working Group later on, taking into account the budget we may have. Gisella has already received the budget for the finger food and drinks, and this amounts to \$39.26. Last year, in the last meeting that we had in Buenos Aires, the cost per person was \$18. So this is a very expensive catering.

I wanted to go to speak with the Sheraton people, but ICANN told me not to go because it is ICANN who are dealing with the Sheraton Hotel, but this quotation and this amount of money that we're dealing with, it's making me doubt regarding the Showcase, because it is very expensive. It is impossible to have such expensive catering, and this cost for catering is per person, so it's very expensive catering. Are there any questions or comments? No comments?

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: I have a comment, Alberto. I would like to ask you a question, because I saw on the mailing list a comment about this topic. Is it possible to have the Showcase anywhere else, or only at the Sheraton Hotel? Taking into account the cost?

ALBERTO SOTO: Well, it is possible if I start looking for a new place. The thing is that with the money that we have available, that is not enough to pay for this kind of lunch that we will have, and this includes food and drinks. But we don't have enough money, therefore I will have to find a new place - perhaps that might have a free room, and perhaps that might have



---

drinks and food of a better quality at a lower price. That is the issue we have right now.

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: That is a difficult task indeed.

ALBERTO SOTO: Well, I don't want to bore you, because this is something we need to discuss with the Working Group. I will meet again with the Working Group and we'll discuss this in detail, because otherwise we won't be able to have the Showcase at the Sheraton Hotel. To tell you the truth, I sent an email not some minutes ago telling them that this is really crazy. If I had known that the increase in the cost would be 70 per cent in Pesos, well, I would say that's fine, but this is in dollars, and there is no difference for the hotel, because the inflation here is not calculated in dollars. The inflation that we're having in our country is in Argentinian Pesos, so it's crazy. It is something unacceptable, to request that amount of money. Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS: I can't remember who the metrics quoted, but let me declare upfront that I've always found this idea of metrics [public 00:59:27], but what you have here defies reason and good sense. The second one says... There's a long preamble that tells you why you do metrics, and then the second metric says, "And those who are unable to attend the monthly meeting or assembly are suggested to send an email to LACRALO Secretariat and mailing list informing the situation." Here's the [unclear

---

01:00:01]: “This will be construed as [party 01:00:05] situation.” So if I’m understanding this correctly, a person participates in a meeting by sending a message saying, “I cannot show up for the meeting.”

Brilliant. Let’s go to number three: “Members belonging to certified LACRALO [hours 01:00:27] participated in ALAC and/or ICANN Working Groups in their personal capacity are suggested to send a brief monthly report on such activity in order to add their participation to the metrics.” This one imposes a higher threshold on somebody who is actually participating in the business that LACRALO is supposed to be vested in, which is the six names and numbers policy development. The third metric you have here actually creates a higher threshold - in fact, a burden - on somebody who is actually participating in the real work that we are supposed to be engaged in.

I don’t know where this came from, and as I told you, again, I’ve never found them useful because they are [make work 01:01:30]. That’s all they are. These two insult reason, and I could go on, but I’m going to stop there.

ALBERTO SOTO:

I thought we had finished with that, but what we have said is that you include all your comments on the Wiki, because otherwise it’s absurdly impossible to have everything recorded as everyone has expressed this. Just one observation, one remark - there is one word I added to the wording, which is Working Groups that belong to Working Groups that are not from LACRALO but are actually ICANN cross-community Working Groups. I added the word “suggestion”. It is not a burden. This is for

---

those of you who are working outside of LACRALO and somehow are representing LACRALO. They can also be included in the metrics.

If somebody is considering it as a burden, there's no obligation to do this. Then if there are issues that they want to take, go to the Wiki, take a paragraph and say, "I want this paragraph to be modified this way," and please do this before we continue, because we have gone back to the same issues many times, and this is going to be a never-ending story. So please go to the Wiki, change as much as you want to change, and then once again, even if we've done this already, we will consider this again. It's going to take a bit longer to do the webinar, but we are going to introduce all the modifications that you may be making. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

To sum up, Alberto, I think what we're going to do has not really been very well understood. All of these documents - and this is my answer for Dev and Carlton - the metrics have been translated into these three languages, and this was precisely to put these to public comment, all of them. I suggested that if a webinar is not enough then we can have another webinar. It seems that what we want to say is something that is not going to be listened to by people. So we're going to show you the documents so that you can make comments again - you can start making comments on the metrics.

It's going to take us 30 days, and within those 30 days we can have another webinar, or perhaps it will be after those 30 days. This is something I need to discuss with you and with Sergio, or whoever is going to take the Governance Working Group. This is how we're going

---

to respect everything that we need to respect so that everybody can make their comments and so that nobody can say that transparency has not been respected. I suggest that we need to be reassured, because this is a proposal that can be modified. It has not been implemented and it's not even been finished, so thank you very much.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you Humberto.

ANTONIO MEDINA GOMEZ: I would like to make a remark, because we are here talking about the Showcase. We had already finished the metrics Item, and allowing someone to make an intervention, interrupting the previous issue, we have lost eight minutes when we had already finished that issue. There is a suggestion to go and review the documents, to make the necessary suggestions, and I think there needs to be a proper moderation so that we don't lose time in our meetings.

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you Antonio. I think one of the attributes the LACRALO Chair has is to see the importance of the issues and to see how the meeting unfolds, and to try and at least answer some questions that delay it, because in this case Carlton had a question before, and I sincerely cannot follow the chat room and the rest. The question was there in the chat room, then we passed him the floor. So I don't think it implies losing time, I think we actually win time. I want to listen to everybody

---

and I want everybody to participate. If we'd spent some more time on this... Well, I don't think this is so. Any other questions or comments?

Okay, so I would like to finish with the Showcase. Unfortunately, we are not getting sponsors. It seems that Brazil was going to get one but they were not successful. I haven't been successful in Buenos Aires either. As you know, the situation in our country is very complicated, so I'm going to try and make some more effort, but if we cannot get more sponsors, maybe Silvia, we need to ask and see if Gisella can get a description of the menu and the beverages and the brands that are going to be offered for that \$39.28c per person. This should be provided to us ASAP so that we can see what we can do.

Now, as for the Showcase Working Group, we're going to meet and see how we can solve this, because otherwise the Showcase is going to be just a reception. We're going to have a discussion and then we leave. Any other question? Comments? Remarks? No questions. Humberto, is there any other issue pending? Otherwise we will be adjourning this meeting.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

I just want to add that we changed the date of the meeting to May 25<sup>th</sup>, because of the translation into Portuguese. It was actually postponed by one week, so this is something we need to remember. The meeting we are going to hold in May, it's postponed to the 25<sup>th</sup> of May. I'm asking those of you who need to use the Portuguese channel, do use it. Now there is someone on the Portuguese channel. We are spending a lot of money on this, so it wouldn't be good to withdraw this Portuguese

---

channel because it's not used. So I'm going to send an email to everybody because of this.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Since there are no more issues to be discussed I'd like to thank you for having been here, for your participation. I hope you can send all the recordings for the Showcase with sufficient time so that we can put together the video, because remember that we need to edit it. So thank you very much to you all. Thank you for participating. I hope you have a very good night, good evening and good afternoon. Thank you.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**