

**ICANN**

**Moderator: Brenda Brewer  
March 13, 2015  
11:00 am CT**

Coordinator: The recordings are started.

Steffan Jonson: Okay thank you.

Grace Abuhamad: Thank you. Off to you Steffan. We'll do the roll call based on Adobe Connect.  
I think everyone is in the room. I have Sarah on the phone but I will now that she's in the room.

Sarah Foley: I'm in the room as well.

Grace Abuhamad: Yes.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Grace Abuhamad: Perfect.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Grace Abuhamad: Thank you.

Steffan Jonson: Excellent. So welcome all to the first meeting of DTC or Design Team 3 as we're called as well. I sent a proposed agenda, not very complicated one but just to get us started. I pointed out a couple of proposals.

And as you show the call is being recorded. And what is sent to our list is also - can also be noticed by people outside of this group. And I'll of just paste it into the chat list right now to see where you could find (unintelligible). Just as a reminder that this is a public meeting.

We're supposed to be seven people in this group so it's Martin Austin who is lead. And it's me and it's Stephanie Duchesneau, Martin Boyle, Kurt Pritz. I haven't seen Kurt right? Is Kurt around?

No it seems not being around. Okay. And Sarah Foley and Martin has also tried to reach out to one of - to a IANA representative. And may I ask you Martin did you have any response to your latest mail about this?

Donna Austin: Hi Steffan, Sorry. I have spoken to Ken Davies. And he was aware that the request was coming which was great. But he hasn't had signoff from (Elise Garrett) yet to participate because she's been being on leave I think. But it is hurtful but he will be joining us soon. And I've also just sent an email to Ashley Heineman from NTIA this morning. I've forgotten to follow-up on that.

So the intent with Ashley's is that she would be a liaison to this group and would be able to help us out if we have any questions about NTIA's role or we needed some clarification.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Donna Austin: Thanks Steffan.

Steffan Jonson: So Excellent. So I expect make your voices heard. I think someone is not on mute so there. So please make your voices heard or raise hands in Adobe if any other remarks please.

Just some more housekeeping then, as you may recall membership for this room is supposed two gTLD representatives, two ccTLD representatives, one (on staff) member, one non-direct customer representative and liaison from NTIA to verify NTIA's current responsibilities. That's the original plan of members.

What is also expected from us is that we should have current reporting requirements rather knowledge about current reporting requirements. And that is something that I - we maybe need to think about what it actually means and if we do have this disability.

But I'll leave it out for now unless there are any more - do you have any other thoughts about housekeeping and the group's constitution, et cetera? So please raise hand or speak up. Martin please?

Donna Austin: Thanks Steffan. Do hopefully this fits into the category of housekeeping. I think we had some back and forth on the best time to have these calls.

I think if there is an expectation that we would be a significant way down the track before Istanbul which is only really two weeks away now. We may need to do two calls a week and we may need to split the work up into subgroups if way depending on how we...

Steffan Jonson: Yes.

Donna Austin: ...decide...

Steffan Jonson: I see what you mean. We need to push things yes.

Donna Austin: Yes. Thanks Steffan.

Steffan Jonson: Okay. Grace you had something?

Grace Abuhamad: Yes. So this is a time - if this is the time that you wanted (unintelligible). I just wanted to know so we had originally discussed with the chairs having some sign up slots three times a week the slots that are - that would be on the same days we had full CWG calls.

We had prepared an official schedule with three different times on three different days to let the different design teams sign-up for these slots on the wiki. So far the design teams haven't utilized those times so you'll see the list. But I put the link into the wiki that you'll see the list is - has had no RSVPs yet.

We asked - since those times are available times with overlapping call I mean they won't overlap any other calls we ask that you consider these times. But at the same time I know that for example this time on Friday does work.

And if it works for the members in the group we can accommodate calls outside of the time slots. But it's just something to consider if any of those sign up slots were those were going to be dedicated staff supported calls that we can do and that we'll do our best to accommodate outside calls.

So far this group is the only group that's requested calls so it's manageable but as this increases that's something we wanted to let you know. Although I think within the next ten days we're going to do our best to support as many as possible considering the timeline.

Steffan Jonson: Thank you. So Bart please?

Bart Boswinkel: Yes two things around next calls. I think based - that's why I have to say fortunately we in a limited time zone where we're Pacific and Central European. So that means this is probably the best time to have these calls anyway at a reasonable hour. So for Friday and maybe for Tuesday late, you know, after the - or on Monday. That's one.

And secondly may I add a if you want to talk about dividing the work maybe have a look at the chat or the template that that's the scope of this group and run through it and which are and maybe do a bit of prioritization based on what is included in this template. Just going over it you will see or I've noticed at least some dependencies and relations with other design teams.

Steffan Jonson: Okay good. Thank you. So we're talking about calls, call times. They are dividing work among us and using the template as a structure also as a help so any comments or considerations about this please? Martin please?

Martin Boyle: Thanks Steffan, Martin here. Yes I think it is a good idea to start subdividing the work. But it will probably be easier for us to do that once we've done a first run through of the things that are on our plate.

I'd actually like to pick up on timings of calls. And certainly this time is fine for me. And I think everybody on the group is at least not a particularly silly time.

But I would flag that next week from Tuesday to Thursday is the center meeting which will then take both you, Steffan and me out for either traveling or being in meetings for the Tuesday through Thursday slot.

So I do put my hand up and say if we're doing two calls next week it would make more sense to do it at the end of Monday afternoon and into Friday afternoon. Thank you.

Steffan Jonson: Okay thank you. Yes that's true about the (center) meeting. I'm going away as well and I hope to be there though I know I will be online at least but also for meetings.

So regarding that maybe if we could take this issue further once we discussed how to operation - make work - how to operate the work so to say, how to divide it, et cetera, because I do welcome Martin's idea of a meeting Monday about this time and Friday as well.

But at least for me it would be - I would prefer it. And I see no real opposition against it either not yet at least so please speak up if you do that. But many people seem to like this time next Friday and maybe this time Monday as well. Good. No one - still no one is opposing that time at least so that's a good start.

About dividing work I'm happy for all initiatives we have. And Bart mentioned using the template to getting work done in reasonable large chunks for each and every one of us. I hope this is workable. Are there any remarks or considerations on that? Good...

Bart Boswinkel: Steffan this is Bart again.

Steffan Jonson: Yes?

Bart Boswinkel: I don't know so if we can upload the template with the scope of DTC or DT3. But so if you look at the items listed I already see one or two which or in fact three which are dependent on other design teams. And the most prominent one is probably the one around authorization which is a separate (unintelligible). And there is an assumption of authorization.

And it might be useful or worth considering whether this group wants to wait until there is more clear clarity whether there will be authorization or not before taking on that item for example.

So have a look at the template and what you think are - say is or put it in other words which can be done quickly and needs some work with smaller groups and which wait we have to wait or are dependent on other - on the output of other design teams.

Steffan Jonson: Yes. This is a tricky one because we both need to have an idea or rather identify statements on each and every thing. And we're really interdependent with several DTs which of course is a tricky one.

But nonetheless we have to follow through in some way or have some kind of structure. And I - I'll turn the idea a bit further the ideas to have something to talk about in Istanbul.

So the importance is maybe not that we need to have a consensus in every issue but a draw that we have identified a couple of the shall we say opposing views on things and contract them into two or maybe three opposing views instead of having the full palette of issues so to say.

So we - I guess we need to structure a lot here. And that's why at least I believe the idea of having the template is a good start. I see no comments no views but people are writing something. But okay. So I was to show you what material is around.

Bart Boswinkel: Steffan? Stephanie has her hand up.

Steffan Jonson: Yes sorry. Stephanie please go ahead.

Stephanie Duchesneau: No problem. So when we spoke about it on our internal gTLD Registries call for earlier this week we seemed to genuinely agree that it would work best if we tackled the functional elements and put some meat out round those and how those would actually be carried out before we started to focus on the composition. So I mean just to identify a starting point I don't know if people in this wider group generally agree with that approach.

Maybe we could designate I think there's actually more questions around the functional aspects. Maybe we could designate Monday's call to kind of assigning some homework over the weekend, devoting Monday's call to talking about the different functions and how we believe those to be executed and then provided that that goes well maybe move on to composition on Friday. I think we just kind of need to identify a starting point here and start to pick it apart a little bit or we're not going to get work on short order before Istanbul.

Steffan Jonson: No, this is a tricky one because if we're supposed to have some structure ready next Friday we need to go really, really fast.



And I'm not sure if there's a shortcut to do that. I do agree it's as long as we're not bogged down in too much considerations because we need to swallow a lot in a very short time.

So do anyone else have an idea about starting with functional aspects on Monday?

Kurt Pritz: This is Kurt. Can you hear me?

Steffan Jonson: Yes?

Kurt Pritz: So when we say - I just want to understand so when we say functional aspects what does that mean? I have a comment but I just want to make sure it's appropriate.

Steffan Jonson: Stephanie, please go ahead.

Stephanie Duchesneau: What I'd say -- and Donna maybe correct me if she sees it differently somehow -- is that the functional aspects would be what is the CSC actually doing and then flushing out how that's being carried out versus composition, who should be sitting in it, you know, what should term limits be, et cetera?

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Kurt Pritz: So I agree with that was sort of a nuance. So I think if I think about what we're replacing with the NCIA, you know, there's it's been characterized as three or four different, you know, separate things. And I think there's four.

And I think what we should do is define what the CSC role is in each one of those or if they have a role. So for example, you know, my thinking is NCIA does four things now.

It monitors IANA performance whether it's doing its job or not, it does the authorization function, it approves operation changes that - in IANA. So for example when IANA made their operations more automated NTIA said okay you're ready to go?

And then it finally designates the IANA provider, you know, the contract business. So I think the CSC has a role in three of those, monitoring IANA performance, the authorization function and also approving IANA operations changes.

So where I - if we can write like the big statement of what the CSC does under each one of those then we can flesh that out underneath. And I think that would do a couple things, give us, you know, deliverables pretty fast. And it also would identify where there's overlap with these other design groups and where we need to interface with them.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Stephanie Duchesneau: I have a quick question in response to Kurt.

Steffan Jonson: Thank you so, yes? Yes?

Stephanie Duchesneau: So are we comfortable as a group starting from the position that the CSC will be the party that is approving these operational changes like, you know, for instance operation?

I know that was something that in the initial draft proposal was possibly an MRT function and not a CSC function. I personally am comfortable putting that in a CSC and flushing it out within this group than arguing why it should fit here.

But I wanted to - there's a little bit of a dependency year because we're only working on the design team for this and not on the design team for the MRT. And I just wanted to ensure that we're comfortable.

Steffan Jonson: Okay. Yes I see your point. And now we're already turning into issue in itself. So I'm trying to grasp a workable structure here for work. So maybe if I may turn back a step and follow plan to actually show what kind of material is at hand already.

So last Monday Marika sent mail with three files, Word files. And I sent it to you yesterday or maybe the day before. And there is since a lot of work is done before there is a functional analysis in 22 pages. There's a structural analysis, three pages, this data December 2014.

And this second structural analysis was discussed extensively in January in RFP 3. And there is in Marika's mail also sent excerpts from December proposal starting at Page 65 in that one.

So there is a lot written already. And I'm trying - I'm not - I don't know if you're aware of this material and should we use that material in any way is one of the questions. But now I have Donna on the list first. Please go ahead.

Donna Austin: Sorry Steffan. It took me a while to look at where I was. So I agree with Kurt on the - we need to have an understanding of what the functional task of this

task again based on what do we think the CSC should replicate to some extent what NTIA does now?

Some of that discussion I think has been - had previously which goes back to the documents that you've just referred to Steffan that from previous discussions in RFP3 and also are the documents are being put together previously.

But I think we also need to focus on the scope of what we've put together in the template that we had up on the screen now because that's just been signed off by (Lisa) and (Jonathan). So there is an extra...

Steffan Jonson: (Jonathan).

Donna Austin: Yes sorry, thanks Steffan. So there is an expectation that this is what we're reporting on. But in the process of going through and responding to these questions that we have identified previously we need to understand where the gaps are.

And so I think perhaps we - I think it's pretty broad because it's role and responsibilities of the CSC. So that will take into consideration, you know, what Kurt has just said about understanding what functions NTIA did and what should be carried across to the CSC.

It also goes to a lot of discussions because there were a lot of discussions on the RFP3 about the CSC so we need to go back over some of that documentation.

And then we need to kind of get it clear in our mind of what we think we carry forward. And it's - and we agree on as it becomes the output as part of this report that we will put together for the broader CWG.

Steffan Jonson: Okay. So we have several things there right now. And there are Steffan is (unintelligible) of functional aspects, (unintelligible) Kurt's idea and there is Donna's starting with the template.

And I guess you're right that starting with the template must be the first step. And also Bart indicated let's use the structure and the disposition of the template for dividing work in-between us. And yes maybe that's the best idea. So how do we take this further? I haven't read it in detail until since a couple days. So I have no direct plan of taking points and just sharing them out. But, Bart please go ahead.

Bart Boswinkel: If you look at the template and it's now up in the - on the screen I think some of it can be fairly easy documented say in going back to the NTIA or to the IANA functions contract on what the role of the NTIA is and then start thinking about what needs to be replaced in particular with regard to the oversight and administration role and then based on that one and going even further into the reporting, et cetera, what needs to be maintained, needs to be maintained and as just creating a baseline of documentation that needs to be provided both transition as well.

Once you have this I say you need to find organizing looking at the template as well there needs to be a kind of channel going from IANA to the CSCs. And that's almost - and that's independent almost of the structure of the CSC itself.

It's just the entity and where it says it doesn't matter. It - there needs to be documentation or reports flowing from the IANA to the CSC assuming there will be a CSC.

And so in this way you can build up say based on the - or starting with the fundamentals of the oversight and administration administrative role of what needs to take place.

And that's going - and that's probably the first functional area and the most important functional area there is. As Kurt alluded to there is a role in say in authorization. But as you all know there is this design team dealing with authorization. And probably as I said it's not clear whether that authorization role of NTIA or needs to continue.

Based on the discussions in Frankfurt there was a tendency at least of the people in the room that it is not needed in future but it needs to be replaced. And that's a discussion going beyond the scope I would almost say of this group.

So starting with the basics and having reached an agreement on this is probably the best starting point. Thank you.

Steffan Jonson: Thank you. Martin please. We don't hear you Martin.

Martin Boyle: Sorry. The reason you didn't hear me is I didn't hear you inviting me to take the floor.

Steffan Jonson: Oh, sorry.

Martin Boyle: Sorry for that.

Steffan Jonson: Sorry.

Martin Boyle: It's Martin here. Yes I think I've got a comment to make about authorization and a suggestion as to how we might kick off the - this first step. Because I think just at the moment we're all sort of hovering around it and not being quite sure exactly how we might do it. So I'll do the suggestion first. It occurs to me that we've got a small or a hand - a list of things that is quite handle able, you know, what it's nine items.

And I wonder if we were all to go away and by the end of the day come back on list with an indication of where we think there's specific issues, what we actually think might be the approach for each of those items.

And then on the Monday call we will have quite clearly in front of us those items where there appear to be significant issues or where there would appear to be a significant amount of work to be done because we need to collect the various feeds and material to put into the document.

So that's my proposal and an idea for moving forward so that on Monday we hit the ground running as it were. And as of quite welcome hearing how other people might respond to that.

The second one on authorization is giving me a lot of anguish. It's - if it's in the list of A to I I'm not seeing it. It's I think an issue that a volunteer committee should be essentially a gatekeeper or a - a part of a process that should normally work quite quickly. So leaving aside the question of whether this role needs to be done I have serious doubts. I really do not think it is necessary.

The issues are things that should be or could be done by repeating the changes and getting a final authorization from the registry where the changes are happening.

But, you know, the idea that you put something like that into a volunteer committee seems to me to be to be just plain dangerous and certainly something where I think I would have great difficulty in explaining why we want to do it. Thank you.

Steffan Jonson: Okay. You don't want to put it aside authorization and yes. Okay so Kurt please go ahead.

Kurt Pritz: Thank you. So I have one thing to say but know that Martin has brought this up I have two things to say, sorry everyone. So this group has kind of a hard job but an opportunity too. It's hard because we're not talking about authorization. You know, there's is a group entitled authorization. And we're not talking about, one of the roles of the NTIA that needs to be replaced.

We're talking about the CSC and what the heck should it do. And so it's a - it's sort of a feature and a bug. But so I think our job is to identify where the CSC should be involved and what role it should play. So I, you know, really think we should accept as Martin started and I think Stephanie started too, you know, separate our decisions.

So let's talk about, you know, one of the NTIA oversight functions and what should the CSC role be? And when we define that then we'll define where we're interfering with other groups.

And as far as - and then, you know, Martin's comment about authorization is well taken. You know, when I read the template I saw being as - you know,



the authorization report as being one of the IANA reports that are currently provided to the NTIA.

So I saw authorization in that. But I'm really sensitive to Martin's characterization that we don't want, you know, we don't want a volunteer entity that slows things down. So not - I think the CSC group could not - should not only say what the CSC specifically is doing but, you know, have some input into issues such as this.

And maybe, you know, so the CSC might not be doing the authorization function. But it might be, you know, it might provide advice how the authorization function should be done in a way that doesn't slow things down so those two separable things.

Steffan Jonson: Yes, thank you. So this is becoming an issue almost. So, my idea of today's meeting is rather to have an operational work ahead. And I noted from Martin that you don't want to a separate authorization, there are different views on this at - so we won't solve this today anyhow and we don't need to set - or decide anything about that yet.

But we - what we for sure need is not making authorization stopping everything else. So let's consider everything else waiting for how to argue about authorization. We can do that as well on this. So, if I may revert back a bit whether we should have authorization or not here.

Well according to instructions from (Jonathan) and (Lisa Li) we are not having it. But I see the point and let's not take it further right now anyhow this discussion.

So let's step back a bit what it's about. We had suggestions saying we start with temple - template, we start with basics as Bart mentioned it, what needs to be replaced the four NTIA functions and what needs to be maintained.

Bart spoke about creating a baseline for documentation so we could channel IANA function into CSC report as a flow.

And this would include Kurt's four functions. I hope this would include also Stephanie's functional aspects. And Martin mentioned the nine items that will return to list today with written contributions and identifying especially the conflicting issues.

So I guess we get to do both actually. We do not need to start with templates. And Martin's idea is as I understand also starting with the templates. So if there are no other ideas how to do further let's do that. Donna please. Please go ahead Donna.

Bart Boswinkel: Donna you're on mute.

Donna Austin: Yes I know. I don't know how to get off mute.

Bart Boswinkel: Fine.

Donna Austin: I'm yelling at you Bart. I'm telling you I don't know how to get off mute.  
(Unintelligible) hear me?

Bart Boswinkel: Yes, yes we can hear you.

((Crosstalk))

Donna Austin: So I think it makes sense to, you know, go through this template as Martin suggested and come back with our respective views about, you know, what we think these things are.

I think that it might be useful if we can split this a bit. So if we have maybe two people doing that and then I think the other thing that I'm very conscious of is that I had this preconceived idea of what the CSC using my head based on previous discussions we've had around it. And I don't know whether those preconceived ideas are still valid. So I would like to I guess volunteer to go back through the documentation that Marika had provided to Steffan that he forwarded on to us.

That kind of takes into account the previous discussions and see what in my mind what is still valid and in my mind what we can throw out that we don't think stands anymore in terms of these - in terms of the scopes that we have in front of us and also in terms of both the functional idea that Kurt raised as well.

So I think I'd like maybe there might be some value in just Steffan if you agree that if everybody could just, you know, I guess if we go around the room and just get a sense of what people think at a high level what the CSCs' responsible for whether it is kind of that replacement, you know, whatever NTIA does now, what parts of that whether it's stuff that IANA already does.

Maybe there's some value in just getting a high level, you know, 30 seconds from everybody on what they think the CSC would be. And in my mind it's that monitoring and performance of the IANA that is - that is mostly done now anyway but that performance and monitoring to some extent is done by the ccTLDs because there's a pretty close relationship that I understand. But in terms of the context that exists then ultimately it's done by NTIA.

Is Steffan maybe there's some value in just getting a 30 seconds from everybody of what they think in my mind the CSC will do?

Steffan Jonson: Okay I think that is an excellent idea. So let's use the list in the notes at your right and I'm next.

So I believe as well the CSC is to be restricted to the minimal effort of looking into that function. Actually functions actually are being done as expected from outside or from consumers (unintelligible).

The role is almost instrumental. It should be receiving reports from operator about what is happening and if it is acceptable according to SLAs or SLEs as we're talking about nowadays and whether it is fulfilling it's - whether the IANA function operator is fulfilling its job or not according to a technical definition. It is also important that there is a role putting away attempts to - for example content regulation of Internet through from various interested parties.

So I want to reduce this to a very technical function also in the combination with the automation of root zone update which means that which takes away the capture idea from this function and puts it (unintelligible). So that's a very (wise) attempt. So please Sarah?

Sarah Foley: So I think you guys have both mentioned both of what - or all the things that I would highlight, the fact that I see it as a replacement of the NTI - the that technical functions that the NTIA performs as well as their monitoring functions.

And then to Steffan's point it, you know, should be looking at technical performance and I think the automation piece is important.

Steffan Jonson: Thank you. And the next on the list is Martin.

Martin Boyle: Thanks Steffan, Martin here. Yes I'd scribbled down my own list before the meeting started some of which have been already picked up. But I think I would just sort of duplicate what other people have said and add my own bits and go - as I go down my list.

I think there is a role of monitoring performance so eventually collecting reports and monitoring those reports and then subsequently also reporting back to their own communities about the performance and getting back from their communities those issues where issues are being identified.

So when I say communities in this case I mean the Registry Stakeholder Group in the GNSO, the ccNSO and the regional TLD organizations and probably also through the world TLD mailing list.

But that actually seems to me that, you know, we shouldn't just be monitoring reports. We - the CSC should be, you know, sort of a factor to the community that depends on this function.

The second bit that occurred to me was that there are currently requirements for the IANA functional operator to undergo security and service level audits or service audit, service quality audits.

And they have identified particular standards they're working too. That's work we'll continue. Again I would expect the CSC to monitor that work and also to keep an eye to make sure that the audit and repeat audits are successful.

I think that coming from the monitoring or coming from the audits there is always the well something's going wrong. And I think the CSC should have a role in talking to the IANA function operator about the issues that are coming up and then where they issue is more than just a blip.

So for example you did meet target one month. You find out that yes, there are exceptional circumstances, there's probably no need for remedial action or putting in recovery plans.

But I think something that is occurring month after month I think the CSC should be talking to IANA its plan for putting it right. And if it's not coming up with a credible plan I think it should actually be looking at raising it at a more senior level in other words to raise it directly with the CEO.

And then my last one was that there should be a looking forwards roll to the CSC about what is happening on the horizon and whether these are things that would need to be taken into account in the IANA functions.

The sort of thing I'm thinking about is the introduction of DNSSEC where you recognize that, you know, here is the development. It is going to need to be launched. Start thinking about it fairly early as to what resources are going to be necessary for that.

And having started saying that it suddenly occurred to me then there probably also needs to be something about the about the budget for things like development or things like putting in additional - into place additional facilities.

Steffan Jonson: Hey Martin.

Martin Boyle: That's my list.

Steffan Jonson: May I please? Sorry if I interrupt you, but may we just flush through this list of participants just mentioning a very few words. So I'm may I please give the word to Stephanie?

Stephanie Duchesneau: Yes. I agree with everything that's been said so far. I also agree with Martin's piece that one side of it is that there's all of these reports whether it's the regular monthly reports or the audit data, the security data.

And if they're not going somewhere, they're just being sent into a vacuum then that's no good. We need to identify kind of a minimum baseline for who's going to be looking at it, who's going to be ensuring that the reports meet coverall of the contents that they're supposed to meet and that everything is performing well.

But I also think that with that the CSC if they're the ones that - if they're the touch point that is seeing everything that is coming out of these either monthly reports or annual audits they should be empowered in some way to address any issues that come out of it whether that's - whether there's - whether that's just starting a conversation with the IANA operator about any issues or if there's some bigger kind of remedial task that they can take.

I think if they're the party that's going to be going through it there should also be some ability to follow-up on the content of the reports for the audit results if anything is deemed to be insufficient.

Steffan Jonson: Okay. Thank you. Kurt, please go ahead. What is your view?

Kurt Pritz: Thanks Steffan. So I'm going to start with the end of Martin's points and just comment about DNSSEC. So that matches with what I said earlier about approving, you know, operation changes within IANA.

And it was an issue really raised by David on - David Conrad on the email list that that's a function of the NTIA. So I just want to agree with Martin on exactly what he said with that.

So I think my thinking matches with what everyone else is saying with one wrinkle. So I think the CSC, you know, is charged with and should design the monitoring process by which IANA is continually monitored with process controls in place so that if the performance falls outside the process limits then corrective action should be taken.

So that's kind of a quality assurance function there, sort of a quality control function too in that, you know, the CSC would receive reports and ascertain that all the SLEs are being met and that performance is good. I think that the CSC should, you know, design and implement an escalation process.

So one of the outcomes of the CSC would be to have the escalation process written down so that, you know, when, you know, so many instances of non-performance occurs, something like that and escalation takes place and so that escalation routine - that escalation is wrote.

You know, it's routine are well understood so we know at what step, you know, the issue would be raised to, you know, the CEO or the president of the group or the CEO. So I think they should be charged with escalation and following-up on corrective action, so my - just kind of looking at my notes which are really tiny. So here's my - here's my wrinkle is that we might think about designing this stuff but then outsourcing it.



So that, you know, what we're really describing here is, you know, sort of a professional QA/corrective action responsibility that was undertaken by the NTIA. I think this for three reasons. One is that, you know, we had an employee the NTIA. They quit and so now they have to be replaced.

So when somebody quits we don't say well we'll just take that job on ourselves. You know, maybe we want to find somebody to deal with the requisite skills.

And then second I think, you know, having an independent body do it that's, you know, specified by the CSC maybe paid for by ICANN but, you know, we would - the CSC would select it, would give it some independence.

So I'm concerned that in the future if there is a lack of performance that we wind up in an argument with ICANN about whether it's a lack of performance or not good. And having an independent voice would help that.

And third is, you know, this takes investment by everybody. So we'll need to have a standing committee that devotes, you know, significant hours to this. And, you know, it could become slack if IANA performance like we all expect is going to be fine. You know, people won't want to invest in it.

So, you know, the idea of having ICANN pay for and the CSC select, you know, a professional firm to monitor IANA is attractive for me. So I know there's a lot more to flush out about that but I just want to plop that on the table.

Steffan Jonson: Okay thank you. So we had a fast walk through about everyone's view or general expectation about what this is supposed to be. But since I understand

we are just having a one hour call that's six minutes away from the hour let's focus on what will be the output today.

No one as I know has opposed to the idea of self with the template using the eight, was it nine points? So if we have no - (unintelligible) sorry, and do not volunteer to go back to the old documents from RFP 3, et cetera, looking into it.

So if there is no other ideas let's start with the nine points allocating them to our members. And if no one suggests anything else I'll just say I'll take A, Sarah take B and Martin take C, et cetera. And then we start all over again once we pass Kurt's.

So that would mean I would have F and A and F. Sarah would have G and Martin would have H. Is this a fair way - sorry and Stephanie will have I. Is this a fair start truncating work?

Stephanie Duchesneau: Yes. Would people be amenable to working in like a Google Doc or some other sort of collaborative document? It's - I think we need to use divvying and conquering if we want to actually make any progress on Monday. But I also think there's dependencies between the different items so that we can actually see what other people are working on it might be usable. Is anyone opposed to using Google Docs for this?

Steffan Jonson: Well sorry Kurt, yes you got one.

Kurt Pritz: Okay.

Steffan Jonson: No one is opposing to Google Docs at least so let's start there and I'll take the allocation again. So Donna's looking back into old documentation from RFP3

in December and January, et cetera. I start with A. I'm (unintelligible) all the time.

Sarah's taking B, Martin is taking C, Stephanie is taking D, Kurt is taking E as an echo and then we start all over again, Steffan take F, Sarah takes G, Martin takes H and Stephanie take I. Is this a doable thing the division of work?

Stephanie Duchesneau: Yes. That sounds okay to me understanding that it's not going to be a finished product but we're all just going to be kind of developing a straw man for discussion on Monday.

Steffan Jonson: Thank you. Any other opinions or views on this? At least we have started. Will Bart will you be manager of the Google Docs document or should I set it up someone else?

Bart Boswinkel: I'll ask (Chris) to do it. I'm not very good at it.

Steffan Jonson: Okay. Grace are you - oh - she left already.

Bart Boswinkel: Grace is not on the call but say action for Grace to set up Google Docs.

Steffan Jonson: Okay. There's no opposition of this. Let's continue. So Monday people will be oriented around these templates at least and we'll have as Martin put it, hit the ground running. And Grace is just finishing in the chat that she will do Google Docs for us.

So before summing up for today I would like to ask all about next meeting again. I noticed in chat that maybe we were a little hasty in deciding Monday at 4 o'clock especially because of Donna. Was it possible for you to join Monday at 4 o'clock Donna?

Sarah Foley: So we set up a Google excuse me, a Doodle. So yes, I think - I know Donna had an appointment so she might not be on anymore. But I think if we just fill out the Doodle we should be able to time on Monday that works.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Grace Abuhamad: Yes. This is Grace. Thank you Sarah. There's a - the Doodle is in the chat and you might have missed it but (Brenda) had posted it in the chat room. And if we can fill it out, you know, just quickly now then we can set a time now. But otherwise we can do it, you know, I'll make sure that you get it in the notes as well and we'll make sure that you can fill it out over the next few hours or weekend for whatever time you need.

Steffan Jonson: Okay, Martin one or two hours? I don't know really yet. It depends on how we have focus. If you need to go after one hour I can understand it since we have quite short day way and time.

I would expect two hours. You also mentioned in the chat that there are not nine of them. And I guess you mean in the listing in the notes, the nine. One, two, three - I fine nine A to I. And hopefully I'm right on this.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes.

Steffan Jonson: So if there are no other, I don't think we have the result from the Doodle yet. So if in preliminary we continue Monday at 4:00 PM UTC time and changes has to go via mail - via the list then I guess that's okay with me.

Bart Boswinkel: Steffan, Grace has her hand up.

Steffan Jonson: Grace please.

Grace Abuhamad: Hi Steffan. So just a quick note, I guess based on the three people who filled out the Doodle so far if we're looking at a two hour slot your best bet so far is 13 to 16 - sorry yes 13 to - well there are two options, either a 13 to 15 or 15 or 17 but there's Sarah won't be able to make the second hour.

So we're really looking at (unintelligible) slot time now. And I think if a few more people fill it out we'll be able to make that determination by the end of day today.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Bart Boswinkel: This is Bart. I know there is a call on 2:00 PM for Steffan at least.

Steffan Jonson: Yes you're right.

Bart Boswinkel: And there is a call say for one hour. And there is a call for us Grace at 5:00.

Steffan Jonson: This is confusing.

Grace Abuhamad: Right. So in that case it may be best if we could actually do a one hour call. That might give us - give the group's overall more flexibility and staff so we

can support you as best we can and then maybe do a two hour on Friday. And if that's not enough we can maybe schedule something in-between.

Steffan Jonson: No start at - we'll start at 3:00 and we'll see how we go with a maximum of two hours. But if Sarah has to leave before and so at least that she takes us through the topic she's done.

Sarah Foley: I think a one hour call...

Man: Yes so we...

Sarah Foley: ...would be fine. Having a...

Man: Right.

((Crosstalk))

Sarah Foley: ...double document will allow us to do collaborative work outside of being on a call. So I'm comfortable with that.

Steffan Jonson: Okay.

Grace Abuhamad: So it sounds like tentatively 1500 UTC for one hour or two hours. We'll schedule for two but we'll plan for one in case this call needs to be extended. Does that sound appropriate?

Kurt Pritz: Yes let's wait and see where Donna weights in.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes.

Grace Abuhamad: Oh, that's right, thank you Kurt.

Kurt Pritz: That needs to be 14 UTC because our starts at 16 UTC Grace.

Bart Boswinkel: Well we can go on without you.

Steffan Jonson: Okay so...

Bart Boswinkel: But that will be nobody.

Steffan Jonson: So the general plan is Monday afternoon this time and morning US time to be very blunt. But I'm not sure we'll solve this now right? So let's call into email deciding then right depending on the Doodle, et cetera?

Bart Boswinkel: Yes.

Steffan Jonson: So if there is not anything else any other business? Okay so thank you all for today and see you Monday.

Man: Yes. Good job Steffan.

Steffan Jonson: Thank you very much. So see you Monday on. Bye-bye.

Man: Bye Steffan. Bye all.

Man: Bye. Thanks a lot Steffan.

END