

ccwgig_2015-03-20_1047992_956711

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: So let's start the recording, please, Renate, and let's open the call.

Renate De Wulf: The recording has started.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Renate. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone. This is the Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance Conference Call, Weekly Conference Call, on Friday the 20th of March, 2015. We have a big agenda today, a very large agenda today.

Let's start first with the roll call, and then I will ask whether we can adopt the agenda immediately afterwards. So, Renate, let's have the roll call, please?

Renate De Wulf: Yes. We have Avri Doria, Bill Drake, David Maher, Hector Manoff, Judith Hellerstein, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Rafik Dammak. And from Staff we have Nigel Hickson, Bart Boswinkel; and myself, Renate De Wulf. There is -- no other people on audio only.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Renate. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And the first thing you will notice about our agenda is that it's very long. It appears to be longer than a total of the 60 minutes that we have allocated for this call. I was going to ask, would it be okay for every to extend this call to make it a 90-minute call rather a 60-minute call? Trying to stick to the 60, but I have a feeling we will run over. I think there's not much of a choice here. Let's try and go as quickly as we can.

Let's go into the review of the action items for the Singapore Meeting. We'll just look at the open action items, because I think that we've kind of forgotten them in the past couple of calls, and we could probably have a quick status update on this. The first one is for the Co-Chairs to write to the chartered SOs and ACs to see if there is a no-objection reply to widening the CCWG on IG participants. And for this I believe -- Oh, Bart Boswinkel, you are on the call. I know that we had worked on this, and what's the next step on this one?

Marilyn Cade: Sorry. It's Marilyn. I just need to announce myself. I'm late, my apologies.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Welcome, Marilyn. Thank you. Bart, are you able to speak?

Renate De Wulf: Olivier, Bart says he'll enter his response in the chat.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Renate, there's some -- Okay. Thanks. Fantastic! All right; next, the Co-Chairs will seek additional Co-Chairs from the other ACs and SOs. The AG participation was noted as important. On this one, I have been in touch with Thomas Schneider, the Chair of the GAC, and the GAC is currently working out who they could put as a Co-Chair, or at least as a participant that will regularly attend the calls. As you know, ICANN is very busy at the moment, and the GAC is very busy with all of the other CCWGs and CWGs, so we will have to wait on the response from the GAC on this.

As far as the other ACs and SOs, the SSAC has said, "We are participating but we don't need to add a Co-Chair." So at the moment the only three Co-Chairs are, Jordon Carter for the ccNSO; Rafik Dammak for the GNSO, and myself, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, for the ALAC. If you are from another ICANN SO or AC, such as the ASO, for example, please let your supporting organization or advisory committee Chair know about our request -- yeah, our request, and find out if we can get feedback on this.

Next, as specifically on the WSIS Forum; for staff to work with CCWG on IG, that's going on as we speak; and finally, regular IG report to be circulated ahead of each ICANN meeting, and that, of course, I'm sure has also been taken into account by staff. And we will hear from them before the next ICANN meeting in Buenos Aires. We are not going to go through the closed action items. Has anybody got any questions or comments on any of the action items that we have listed?

Marilyn Cade: I have a question. It's Marilyn.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Hello, Marilyn. Go ahead, please speak.

Marilyn Cade: Thanks, Olivier. You know, I congratulate you on the ability to get more syllables into a single minute than I can keep up with. So could you, perhaps, just repeat, please, a couple of the -- you were summarizing, so quickly, this is going to happen, that is going to happen, staff is going to do this, blah-blah-blah. I don't think I actually captured what you were saying we are doing.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (Laughter) Okay. On which part?

Marilyn Cade: I'm sorry?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: On which part, Marilyn. Which one of the parts which I made there, that the SO and AC part is just for the Co-Chairs to write to the chartered SOs and ACs.

Marilyn Cade: I got that.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay.

Marilyn Cade: And then after that -- after that I lost you completely. What is it you were saying we are doing? I didn't get it.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I think we'll need to -- it's easier when you have the agenda in front of you, because I was speaking to the different open action items.

Marilyn Cade: I have the agenda in front of me, and the additions, which said we are going to the reflect CCWG-IG discussions, public event at ICANN 52; external events, blah-blah-blah. Staff activities that are not transparent but ongoing, such as an update, and that I have the -- I do have the agenda in front of me.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I'm trying to look at the -- I'm not sure we are looking at the same agenda. All right, I was just looking at the action items at the moment, the open action items, and we had -- the last two were specifically on WSIS Forum for staff to work with the CCWG and IG, that's one thing which they are doing. And finally, regular IG reports to be circulated ahead of each ICANN meeting; and that will be in place.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: These are the only two that were leftover.

Marilyn Cade: All right. So my comment is going to be about the -- I think you said something like the following; WSIS Forums, staff ongoing, work is under way, that's too vague for me, and somebody who is deeply involved in the WSIS Forum, I need more detail, and to understand how we are working with the staff on that. Is there a sub-group on that? Or, are we -- you know, deadlines are coming up, we have already missed the deadline for workshop submissions, perhaps there's some other way to work together, but I'm just saying, we are going to hear from Staff on that in the future. That's a little vague for me.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks, Marilyn. It's Olivier speaking. On agenda item number six, we have planning for IG events in 2015, and listed there is the WSIS+10 Review. And I believe maybe there, we will be able to put together a plan on how we are going to move forward on this.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Olivier, but the WSIS+10 Review is separate from the WSIS Forum, so we could move the WSIS Forum down to that topic as well, I'm happy to do that, but --

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah. Let's do that. Yeah. We can do this Marilyn, it's just a case of -- these were just the action items that we were looking at, and they are very broad action items from Singapore, we can then dig into the various parts in the other sections of our agenda today. So let's add as number six, planning for IG events in 2015, the planning with WSIS+10 Review, and WSIS Forum; seeing that these two will work well together. I don't see anyone else in the queue, so let's move then to the substantive part of the call, and go for the various updates.

And you will have noticed an email which has landed in your mailbox, only about 45 minutes ago, with a number of documents and updates on -- which we are going to be discussing now. There is a link in the agenda to the actual archive of this email, if you can't find it in your mailbox. And we will have an update from ICANN on their Internet Governance activities, from Nigel. An update on the broader Internet Governance calendar from Marilyn, and then I guess, I don't know if it's a joint updates or two updates from UNESCO's Connecting the Dot Conference, in Paris. And that's from both Nigel and Marilyn. And there is also a link in the agenda to the outcome document of the UNESCO conference; and finally an update on the MWC Conference from Nigel.

So let's start the update on ICANN, from ICANN on the Internet Governance activities. Nigel Hickson, you have the floor. And you might muted, Nigel.

Nigel Hickson: Sorry. Thank you very much.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Ah, there you are. Okay.

Nigel Hickson: Yes. I was also muted, but yeah, I managed to unmute myself. Well, thank you very much, Olivier. We put around a brief overview of various activities that have taken place since the Singapore Meeting, and it covers a number of topics including, actually what -- some topics which we are going to come onto later, particularly the Connecting the Dot Conference, and the MWC Conference. So I don't think we need to touch on those too much. I've also included where we are on the IGF, but we also have that later in the agenda as well.

So this was just really an aid memoir with some links that we thought would be useful for this particular session, and isn't seeking to replace the report that we'll start to prepare for the meeting at Buenos Aires., which will be a sort of rather more comprehensive email. Yeah. So if anything, I'd be very happy to take questions, or elaborate on various points from that email

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you, Nigel. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I think it might be of help if you take us briefly through the main points of your email, since I doubt that anyone has read it, or at least has read it in-depth before this call.

Nigel Hickson: No. No. Sure. Yes. So, essentially first of all we -- the first item on the email was the UNESCO Connecting the Dots Conference, and I provided some links there, which we can expand on when

we get to that item on the agenda. This was a UNESCO conference, essentially to look at a study that had originated on the Internet, and there was also the production of a useful output document, which will be blessed, or hopefully will be blessed by the Commission, by the UNESCO Commission, which is essentially they are meeting of all the UNESCO Member States. But we can, obviously, concentrate more on that when we get to that item on the agenda.

The next one was the Internet Governance Forum, and of course the call for workshops for Brazil which we'll come on to, and I've included some links there to the guideline for the workshop proposals. Also the type of activities which are going on at the IGF, and we can take part in. And then I've just outlined some work that's going on, on the intercessional work on best practice forums and thematic (ph) dialogue. And of course, Marilyn is part of the MAG, and therefore is intimately apprised with these issues.

The third item is the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, and there's a brief overview there, of the event, of the ministerial program, which we took part in, and also an overview of some of the ministerial bilaterals and business bilaterals which we took part in. And also a link to the Breakfast Briefing we gave on -- and update to the Boston Consulting Group Report.

Colleagues will remember that about this time last year, ICANN, working in conjunction with the Boston Consulting Group, released a report. Well actually, the Boston Consulting Group released the report which was partly commissioned by ICANN on Greasing the Wheels of the Internet Economy, and the Boston Consulting Group has done a sort an update to that report, or some more data analysis on that report, and we presented that in a Breakfast Briefing in Barcelona. We can touch on that further, if you like.

And then the third item on -- the third item is on the WSIS+10 Review, and under that item I've listed a couple of sort of developments taking place, which is the WSIS Forum that we just touched on, but which we can come to later in the agenda. We have the CSTD Plenary Session, the first week of May, here in Geneva, and that's quite significant, because the CSTD Plenary is going to adopt a recommendation on the 10-year review of the WSIS outcomes. And that recommendation goes to the Economic and Social Committee of U.N., in July in New York. And then is forwarded to United Nations General Assembly as an input for the WSIS+10 Review, and obviously we can touch on that later on as well.

And I've also included a couple of links on discussions that took place in New York, that we helped to organize, there was a sort of conference which we held in New York, and also I've included a link to a Regional Preparation Meeting which is happening later in April, in Addis Ababa.

And then finally, some references on the NETMundial Initiative, and obviously Bill Drake might be in a position to give more flavor to this, as he is involved. There's nothing in these few paragraphs which is not on the website, I've just tried to collect a few links together. And that's it really. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Bill. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I open the floor now, for any questions, or discussions on the points that you have made. I have heard you mentioning a conference in New York, has that configuration taken place, or is that a conference that is possibly planned in New York for July?

Nigel Hickson: Right. Yes. So on the update I gave, I simply referred to an event that took place in New York, recently, that Veni Markowski organized. The actual -- in terms of other events in New York we can -- there is an event being organized by DIPLO (ph), and I've included a reference to that. Also, ICANN is talking to the ITU and UNESCO and to ISOC, and to others, about the possibility of holding some sort of discussion, seminar, or something like that, in New York. Either in July or it could be later, depending on developments. And really the idea of this was to highlight the importance of the sustainable development goals, and in particular to highlight how ICT, and

therefore the WSIS process can help in the implementation of these goals, so that was the idea of holding something in New York along those lines.

But as I say, this is still in the planning stages. Still in the initial planning stages and nothing has been decided yet. Of course we'll keep everyone involved on what's going on there.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you, Nigel. It's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Could you please expand on the conference that was posted by Veni Markowski. I hadn't heard about this.

Nigel Hickson: Yeah. Sorry. And I realize now that I hadn't put the link in the email, not that I was trying to hide anything, and anything like that I -- I don't why I didn't. So essentially it wasn't really a conference, it was a seminar at Brooklyn Law. Is it Brooklyn Law? And I do apologize here for not knowing my American universities. I think it was Brooklyn Law Institute. It was on the 28th of February, and Veni invited, along with some very various other people, some missions to talk really on an update on the technical infrastructure of the Internet. So there were a couple of ICANN staff speaking about the -- really the technical side of the Internet, and how things fitted together.

One of the things we found in talking to missions in New York is that sometimes they have an appetite for a bit of more sort of detailed background on the Internet, so this was a session on that. So I can circulate further details, but it took place, yes, it was around the 28th of February.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Nigel. Olivier speaking. So are there any questions or comments on (inaudible)--?

Marilyn Cade: Olivier?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Marilyn, you have the floor.

Marilyn Cade: Thank you. So, Nigel, this is the kind of information that I think that the CCWG-IG indicated would be helpful to know that even before the fact, not just after the fact, and within adequate details. And this is going to sound a little strong, but it would be better if we could figure out how to use the resources of the CCWG-IG to collaborate, not just eventually being briefed and within adequate details. Thank you so much for sharing this. I had, of course, already its submissions, so it's still helpful if we could be on the same page for the CCWG-IG ahead of time, and that would maybe -- you know, whatever we can do to encourage our colleagues to be forthcoming, we could then take advantage of how we collaborate.

Thank you for sharing the information about the DIPLO event. I was also aware of that, but I think it's important for the full CCWG to have a sense that there's a landscape of activities. There's the WSIS+10 event coming up in the future, not too far away; we may, at the CCWG-IG, even have resources or ideas to be able to contribute to that, now that's not organized by ICANN, but ICANN is invited to participate, and maybe that's the other thing to kind of think about, you know, how do we collaborate better.

When you say you can share information, does that mean there's a list of attendees, a list of speakers? Is this part of a series? Is it open to attendance from CCWG-IG members who might be coming to New York? Or is it a closed event? Which is fine, but these kinds of, you know, useful ideas about sharing information help to make us really feel like this is a partnership.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Marilyn. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Any comments or follow up on Marilyn? I note in the chat there is a plus-one (ph) Marilyn from some people. There is also noted some PDT, who I assume to be Peter, Peter Dengate Thrush. "Thanks, Nigel. Copies of the presentation in New York will be much appreciated."

Nigel Hickson: Nigel Hickson.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah.

Nigel Hickson: Sorry. Yes, Nigel Hickson. Sorry, yes. I mean I -- Yes, I mean I do apologize and, you know, I mean that. There is no sort of mal intent here. I would have circulated details of this event in advance if I had known about it sufficiently in advance as well. I mean, you might think that -- it's odd but, you know, the (inaudible) aren't going on sometimes, and we don't always know everything. I will ascertain if -- I don't -- it was a fairly informal session as far as I know, but people did give presentations, so I will try and get copies of those presentations, and copies of the attendance list if there was one, and make you are aware of that.

I mean, on other events, I mean, we can keep -- we can try and keep the Cross Community Working Group up-to-date as far as we are of these events, and the particular event I became aware a week or so ago, and that's why I shared it. There is also an event that Access Partnerships, which is a consultancy, is organizing in April. Although I don't have the details of that, but when I do, I'll circulate those as well.

But as Marilyn said, there's no doubt, other events which various people go to. I mean, I put on the bottom of my email, I think item number six, is the Ceetal (ph) event that took place in -- sorry -- I think in Washington, D.C., earlier this week, and I think that touched on various issues as well. But I mean, obviously, these aren't ICANN events, and sometimes our knowledge of them is not that complete.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thank you very much, Nigel. Olivier speaking. And I think we can move on to the update on the broader IG calendar with Marilyn being listed on the agenda as being able to brief us on this. Marilyn, you have the floor.

Marilyn Cade: Thank you. I will send my updated calendar. As you guys know, the timeline that I distribute is not available for public sharing, but what we do, Alex takes the calendar and turns it into a list of events, and I will send her the updates, which does include the Ceetal (ph) event that just took place, I'll speak briefly about that. But it also now has the events of relevance related to Ecosoft and to the U.N. review of the SDG, the sustainable development goals, as well as a couple of other meetings that the Internet Governance and WSIS+10 are going to heavily discuss that. So I'll send that to Alex, and she can update the calendar and timeline that she keeps.

I am happy to send my timeline to individuals, but I will just say I had a very interesting experience where the documents says, permission required to share, and someone from civil society decided to publish it on open list, and I really ask that that not happen. But the timeline includes now, the cyber space event in April, the 16th to the 17th, and I believe Fadi will be speaking at that, Nigel; as well as many other people.

Followed by, then we move into something that I just want to flag for everyone to be aware of, the CSCD meetings in May, that was mentioned by Nigel. A very critical meeting for all of us, in the sense that the WSIS Review document will be approved, or not approved, but will still be forwarded to the UNGA with a recommendation. The CSCD also writes a resolution on science and technology for development, and that is, given what is going on in New York with the sustainable development goals, actually an area of much interest to many, many governments.

There is a series of SCG meetings going on in New York, and you'll see that in the updated calendar that Alex will be posting, that that began in February, continued in March. I will actually be attending a couple of the days in March next week. It goes on to April, then to May. Those negotiations about the SCGs are important to ICANN indirectly, but to the ICANN broader community, because they actually get into the full set of issues that address, not ICANN issues, but issues like human rights, gender, climate change, the use of ICTs, et cetera. So while I put them on the calendar it's not because I think ICANN should be involved, but it's because parties who are involved in ICANN, have an interest in these other issues.

I just want to go back to May, which I'm now calling the Marathon month. Beginning the 4th to the 8th of May, with the CSTD Meeting, followed by two weeks of the ITU Council Meeting, with discussions about WSIS+10, and also the Internet Public Policy, the International Internet Public Policy Working Group which does address the role of ICANN, and aspects of ICANN's work, that is between the 12th and the 22nd of May. The 20th to the 22nd of May, the IGF Consultation, the MAG will meet and make many formal decisions about the workshops, as has been referenced before. Followed by the WSIS Forum and we'll come back to ICANN's participation. That forum it's an open forum, and I think we need to be sure that parties who are on our list are aware of how to sign up to participate in that forum if they are interested.

Following that, of course, we move into the Buenos Aires ICANN Meeting in June. But in June we also have the launch of the UNGA, the United Nations General Assembly Consultation on the WSIS Review. Two co-facilitators, one from developed countries and one from developing countries, will be appointed by the President of General Assembly, to undertake consultation with member states and informal consultation with stakeholders, in a six-month process that will lead up to a high-level two-day event in December.

Again, you'll see all of that on the timeline that Alex will update. But I just want to note that ICANN will have two meetings, June, Buenos Aires, 21st to the 25th and -- sorry -- 18th to 22nd of October, before we get to the IGF in Brazil, the 10th to 13th of November, and then leading on to the UNGA. And I think if the working groups could consider, as there are mechanisms for input, this working group could consider informative statements or contributions that could be developed and then reviewed at our ICANN meetings, that could be made public and would be supportive from the community. That could go into some of these fora, and I just put it across as something for us to consider as we think about what our work plan might be going forward. Thank you.

Actually, Olivier, it's Marilyn. I'm going to say one final thing. We were very instructive, I think in our input into NETMundial, and I think we might look back to that a possible role model for (inaudible) if we try to introduce such statement that might follow on to that model.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thank you very much, Marilyn. And I realized I was muted just before. So thanks very much for this update, Marilyn. Are there any questions or comments from people on the call today? It looks like quite an extensive agenda. What we'll do, we'll look forward to receiving the list of events from Alex, and maybe we can table a more in-depth, or focus discussion during our next call, specifically on the deadlines that we are looking at, that we might wish, as a working group, to provide input to, in the same as we have provided an input to the NETMundial papers, about a year ago already.

Any other comments or questions from anyone? I don't see anybody putting their hand up. So, then we have an update from Connecting the Dots Conference. That's the UNESCO's Connecting the Dots Conference. Who wants to start? Nigel? Marilyn? Both, singing in tune?

Nigel Hickson: Ladies first, course.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Marilyn Cade, you have the floor.

Marilyn Cade: So sorry, I'm eating. I apologize. Connecting the Dots, I'll just a word about UNESCO. I think sometimes we get very focused on one particular U.N. Agency over another, and I think it's particularly important for us to recognize UNESCO and UNESCO's role. So if we think about the ASO (ph) staff, of fundamental infrastructure and basic routing standards, and even the DNS, you know, we are down at levels 1, 2, 3 of the ASO staff. But when we begin to get into content, and information and users, and at the previous levels, we are focused more on our own roles, and on the role of -- when there is a role for an intergovernmental organization, we are focused more on the role of the ITU.

But when we get into the upper layers, we are -- we need to be very inclusive of the role of UNESCO, and Connecting the Dots Conference was really an excellent opportunity for many of us to better understand and engage with UNESCO and the very positive role that they play in a number of areas for the 194 countries that are members of UNESCO.

Connecting the Dots examined issues like Universal Access For All, but also the idea that it's about capable access and informed access, privacy, security and ethical uses of the Internet. It was a workshop that was like just a seminar, an event that was focused on a study that UNESCO commissioned, and undertook, and it really was about stakeholders, as opposed to about governments. A really unique setting in the sense that the majority of speakers came from the different stakeholders and not just a -- there were some speakers that we are familiar with from the ICANN community, or that come to ICANN meetings, but many of the speakers came from other parts of industry, and NGOs, civil society, and the broader technical community.

And for that reason I think it's particularly helpful for us as CCWG-IG to think about, how do we advance and support and welcome the fact that ICANN is engaging with UNESCO, which I do want to really thank, Nigel, you and Fadi, and Tarek for; because I think it's really important to be reaching these other parts of governments, which are not the (inaudible) Ministers, that are in other parts of the government organizations that focus on the uses of the Internet, education, health care, economic development growth, et cetera.

There is a study that UNESCO did, the workshop that for two days focused on that study and on and outcome document, and Nigel, thank you so much for posting the link to the outcome document. It is a negotiated document that is negotiated among the members of the workshop. Now, that's about 350 participants as I recall. It now goes to the Executive Board of UNESCO in April, for consideration, and the study, is also being finalized based on comments that were presented during the two days, and submitted separately. And that study and the outcome document will then go to the General Assembly of UNESCO, which is in Paris in November.

Following that it will be submitted to the General Assembly. The really important, I think, element for us to think about is member states that are not the usual suspects, that come to the GAC, or that come to ITU meetings. Those representatives will have the opportunity to make their voices heard going into the UNGA event at the end of the year, in a more positive and constructive way. One of the key outcomes of the work was the layout and agenda for action for UNESCO's continued involvement in Internet Governance and imposed WSIS 2015 activities.

Now the problem was direct activity that some ICANN attendees are aware of, has to do with UNESCO's role in IDNs, and in multilingual contest. That beyond that they have broader roles as well, in dealing with how users experience the internet, and also in capacity building, and for that reason, I think that ICANN's engagement with UNESCO is really vital, and I want to, again, thank Nigel, Fadi and Tarek for enabling that.

Nigel Hickson:

This is Nigel, Olivier. If I can just add a couple words. I mean, first of all, I think Marilyn has done a tour de force, so to speak, on the Connecting the Dots Conference, so I needn't go over much of that. Just to add a couple of things, in terms of the process, the output document, as she mentioned, would go to the U.N. General Assembly, and I think the importance of that is, if it gets approved by the UNESCO Assembly, but I think that the importance is that it talks about extending the mandate for the IGF. It talks about the need for a multistakeholder approach to (inaudible) in the UNGA WSIS discussions.

And so I think given that it would be blessed by a sizeable proportion of G77 countries, it will have some importance if it is delivered as it is. The other point I would just make is that at the Connecting the Dots Conference, I mean, ICANN has been involved with UNESCO on a number of fronts for a number of years, certainly before I joined ICANN. We do work with them in various studies; we are doing a project with UNESCO at the moment on Arabic Script, and descriptions of the Internet Governance in Arabic Script, and definitions of Internet Governance,

which I think is proving quite useful. We worked with UNESCO quite closely on their conference on the WSIS+10 Review in 2013, and after the meeting in Paris, Fadi Chehadé had a session with the Deputy Director General of UNESCO, and talked about possible sort of projects where we could work together in the future.

And I would really echo what Marilyn said. I mean it's a -- I mean obviously, quite a bit of what UNESCO does is outside the scope of ICANN of course, but it has importance in the general Internet Governance space, and I think it's something that we can at least try and contribute to where appropriate. Thank you.

Renate De Wulf: Olivier, you are on mute?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I am muted. Okay. Thank you very much, Nigel. Thank you, Marilyn. I was indeed on mute, and I was -- I called for Avri Doria to take the floor. Didn't hear anything and said to Avri, you might muted. Anyway, Avri Doria, you have the floor.

Avri Doria: Okay. This is Avri, speaking. And yeah, I don't think I was muted. Thanks for the report. I was also at the Connecting Dots, and I guess the only thing I wanted to bring up is, while much of what they do is not a scope for ICANN, I think there is much of what ICANN does that has aspects that are in scope for them, so I think part of the relationship needs to be very much a two-way one, and I just wanted to add that bit to it. That both -- there are two overlapping sets of scope. Thanks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks very much for this, Avri. Olivier speaking. Are there any other comments? Okay, seeing no hands up. Avri, is that a new hand or was that your other hand still? All right, great. Well, certainly great to see progress and involvement from several community members in this. I must admit, before the conference took place, and actually even after, even briskly looking at the overall documents that had come up, the outcome document, I kept on being puzzled about being involved in such, I would say, basic conferences, when on the one hand we work with operational multistakeholder models, and the transition of stewardship of the IANA contract, for example.

And on the other hand, look at principles of Internet Governance which often sound as though they a little bit pie-in-the sky, now I get a much better idea. I have a much better idea of the reasons, and I guess the audiences that these conferences are meant to reach, and certainly the intent to advise those people that are not in our usual circles, about the multistakeholder model, and about the way it works and so on, it's a great thing, and a great way forward.

Let's continue with updating on the Mobile World Conference, that's another completely different type of conference, not even related to domain names. Nigel Hickson?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Thank you very much, Olivier. Nigel Hickson, and I can't resist in just responding to what you said before, because I think it's just so true and that we -- and I know you are intimately involved in the IANA transition, and lots of others are a great deal more than I am, but certainly even as ICANN staff, and as ICANN community members, we do go from one extreme to the other, in terms of events. I spent two days this week at a WIPO Conference, or the good part of two days, discussing a trade mark -- trade marks, so it just goes to show what sort of issues we have to deal. Sorry.

On the Mobile World Conference, this is the second year, and in my email I -- in the report there was a couple of links to it. This is the second year that ICANN had participated in the Mobile World Congress. I mean, it's a very large event, over 95,000 people they say, went to it, it's held in a sort of shed. That's probably not a very nice description, but a number of interconnecting holes in Barcelona, just outside the center of Barcelona.

Essentially, it's an exhibition, that's the main value of it, where the mobile community come together. Where different mobile operators announce new products, where the great and the good

meet, so to speak, and the Heads of the mobile community get together and do deals, or whatever. So there's that side t it, and there's a sort of conference attached to the Mobile World Congress itself, with the likes of Mark Zuckerberg (ph), and others spoke out about mobile revolution on the Internet, et cetera.

Then the GSNA held a separate, what they call a sort of ministerial program. And the fact that ICANN had been involved in, in the ministerial program consists of a conference on a number of different issues, and I provided the link to that, and Tarek Kamel spoke at one of the sessions on Internet Governance, but the ministerial program also is a whole. So, you know, the terminology here I know is not great in English, I don't know what it sounds like in other languages but -- So, the Ministerial Program is in one particular area of the conference arena, and if you are registered for the Ministerial Program it's been, sort of, the ministers and business leaders tend to mingle, and there's lots of seating.

I mean, this is rather boring, I know, but it sort of gives you a flavor of it all works. So there's a lot of mingling, and we arrange various bilateral meetings. Fadi Chehadé was there for just over a day, and Sally Costerton, and Tarek Kamel, were there for two or three days each, and they arranged various meetings with governments and the business, and I linked -- I listed some of the people that we saw. I hadn't gone into details about what we discussed, and I mean, not that it was particularly -- well, not particularly sensitive. I mean, I think you can probably guess discussions took place with government on issues such as the IANA transition, and on WSIS, and other related issues.

I mean, to come to what Olivier said, I mean, I think you are absolutely right, I mean the main focus of the Mobile World Congress is on mobile technologies, availability of spectrum, et cetera, et cetera. The issues that are, somewhat, remote to ICANN. But it is really an excellent opportunity of meeting people, and meeting ministers, many of them telecommunication ministers, promoting what ICANN does. Talking about the GAC, talking about other ways that individuals can contribute in the ICANN community, and I think in that way it was well worth it. It's certainly something we feel that was worth it. I'll finish there. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Are there any questions or comments on this? I don't see anyone putting their hand up. So thanks for this update. And I think with that, because I was a bit surprised not to see it on there, whether there was any NETMundial Initiative update; and I noticed that Bill Drake is on the call. So I wonder if Bill could speak to us about, has there any -- has there been anything, any progress or anything on the NETMundial Initiative?

Bill Drake: Okay. Hello, everybody. The NETMundial Initiative process has been a little bit torturous. We have had a subgroup of the Coordination Council working on draft terms of reference, that has been quite a back and forth, back and forth process that at present resulted in the draft text that indicates very little activity as far as I can tell, but it will be discussed further. There will be a meeting, a working-level meeting held at Stanford University on the 31st of March. A number of the more senior ministerial level people who were drafted to, or volunteered to be on the Coordination Council will not be there, but their seconds will be, and a few others can't make it, but the expectation is that that meeting will try to sort through the various ideas on the draft. A few will hopefully come to some resolution; I think that's back to the rest of this, so that activity can actually begin.

I note that a number of people have already submitted the project proposals on the NETMundial platform, looking for partners and so on, and there's no mechanism in place at present to begin to do much with them in terms of connecting them to potential funders or partners of any sort. So to the extent that that fairly non-controversial aspect of serving as a facilitator for people to partner and work together on things is -- should be able to go forward, I think something should be done in that regard.

You might -- anybody who is interested could take a look. It was just a new proposal put up yesterday, I think it was -- I don't know, a couple days ago, for doing a big deliberate poll at the IGF on several hundred people, and then generating report on that and so on. So a number of different ideas that people are beginning to trickle down to that space, but the fundamentals exactly, you know, what are the shared objectives, and what are the activities that the NMI, per se, would undertake, versus what are the activities that the community generally would undertake simply using the platform, that's the vision, and I'm not sure if it's sorted out. I think people are beginning to articulate rather different ideas.

We had just on the last -- we've been meeting every week on teleconferences, and on the call this week we were interested to be joined by representatives from the Chinese Government, who have come on board the Drafting Team. And just as of today, draft suggestions for the term of referenced, which include language about the Tunis Agenda, and evolving the institutional ecosystem for IGFs, so this is as a sort of a -- took some people by surprise a little bit, but the Chinese colleagues were very -- on the call were very interested in seeing that the NETMundial Initiative go forward as a (inaudible), and wanted to ensure that it gives a second imprint of their interest. So, this was a new development.

So we will see what happens in the next step. There has not been -- I'm looking at the website now, and unfortunately this whole -- the initiative is not heavily staffed, and the website is kind of looks out of date, and the reports on the last few meetings are not posted yet, which I just noticed here (inaudible) tweeting about with some glee. So, there's certainly work to be done to start to bring this up to shape. I will note that I spent the day yesterday over at the World Economic Forum, and they were definitely interested in hearing, work could really to be done here with this thing, and wanting to see if we couldn't bring it into real alignment with the preferences that people indicated in response to the questionnaire about the terms of reference (inaudible) or the responses to the questionnaire. So, we'll see. Everything is rather fluid and novel (ph) right now, and perhaps after the 31st there shall be more clarity. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this update, Bill. Thank you very much. Olivier speaking. And I wonder whether you are at or you have the freedom to share with us your thoughts as to where you see the stumbling block, why things aren't moving forward as quickly as they should.

Bill Drake: I don't think I'm speaking out of school to comment broadly on the sort of process stuff. I'm not going to mention anybody's particular interventions. I will say that so far most of the work has been done, this is not unprecedented, by civil society people, and the staff. The level of engagement that we've seen from some of the other sectors have not been high yet, so this, of course, makes it difficult to know once the representatives from other sectors begin to actually try to get their head around the draft terms of reference, and what's their real interest here, and what level of engagement they really want, and what their aspiration level is.

So one hopes that we'll start to see more of a dialogue there, but you know, part of the thing I think is also -- the Coordination Council is a curious mix, in that you have some senior, very senior people; like the U.S. Secretary of commerce, and the Vice President of the European Commission sign on, and they are obviously not going to be involved in sort, you know, back and forth discussions about terms of reference and things like that with some of those little folks. So, as we've said, we have an interesting and I guess, you know, the only hope is that once there's something really concrete in the way of a proposal, that has to be adopted and finalized and taken back to capitals and for the companies to take back, for the CEOs to sign on, (inaudible) their names, that the level of engagements will get more significant, and at that point we'll find out.

Again, as I say, what people are thinking about that's really is, because it's just really -- it has not been the case that everybody is coming to this with the same frame of mind, I think. And yet there hasn't been a real throw back and forth for discussions, among other (inaudible), and that makes it a little bit hard to proceed.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Bill. Olivier speaking. And we have reached the top of the hour, but at the beginning of this call we decided to have a 90-minute call rather than 60 minutes. So let's move through our agenda. Swiftly onto ICANN and community participation and Internet Governance--

Marilyn Cade: Olivier? Olivier?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yes, Marilyn. Yes? Are there still comments on the prior points?

Marilyn Cade: I want to --

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Yeah. Please, go ahead.

Marilyn Cade: My perspective, as an individual, is that the questions raised by certain representatives from both the technical community and the business community are not resolved and questions remain; and I think those are indications of the concerns that some parties have about the creation of a new mechanism. I just want to comment on it, directly related to the comment that was shared about the idea that we should be reviewing the Tunis Agenda, or evolving the Internet Governance ecosystem in the NETMundial Initiative.

I think that the discussions about the Tunis Agenda, the WSIS+10, which is a review of the Tunis Agenda, and the post 2015 agenda, those discussions are underway in other fora, and creating a new place to debate that is, to me, highly risky, and not a good role for ICANN. In fact I would strongly object to ICANN, in any way, supporting this. And I say this because the staff is on the phone, and I think it's really important to understand that opening a new front on that debate is very risky, on many, many fronts. We are doing so much work at ICANN on the IANA Transition, on the Accountability mechanisms, and it could be very easy to divert people away from work into new debate fora.

If NMI, this is just my personal view, if NMI can focus on something specific which is yet to be determined, then that may -- that is actionable activities, that may then enable the resolution of the unresolved questions with the broader technical community and the business community, but right now I have to say that I remain on the fence. I did see Nigel's comment that two liaisons have been agreed by the MAG, and in fact that is true, and I did contribute to a negotiation on that, but that's on hold, I think, until the terms of reference and other more concrete, specific details would be forthcoming.

I hope we are not going to spend a lot of NMI, I really appreciate Bill's update, but to me, until these other issues are resolved with other key parts of the community, I can't see how ICANN -- But I think we should just continue to have updates. Let me leave it there.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks, Marilyn. Bill Drake?

Bill Drake: Just briefly. I don't think they are anticipating negotiations about the Tunis Agenda. The Chinese were simply referencing it in their effort to contextualize the background for how they think about the kinds of activities that the NMI could, perhaps, be lending some support to, but not in a negotiating sense. But I don't think that is, necessarily, a perspective that will be broadly shared. They just sent a message yesterday, and I would not be worried that this will become a major distraction of energies or in negotiation forum. I don't think that is very likely at all, so. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Bill. Let's move on and go to the next agenda item, and that's the ICANN, the community participation at the Internet Governance forum. There are two parts to this, there is the call for a proposal, it has come out, and there's also the use of regional IGFs for the -- semi-regional preparatory events for WSIS+10 reviews. Let's start with the latter part, the semi-regional preparatory events for WSIS Review. Marilyn, could you please expand on this?

Marilyn Cade: Thank you. I had suggested that it's important to think about creating more awareness about what is going on, on the WSIS+10 Review, because it does include -- it will include -- The WSIS+10 Review includes review of the Tunis Agenda. The Tunis Agenda includes the launch on creation of IGF, also the in-house corporation discussions and the discussion about the role of stakeholders in international Internet public policy, to which ICANN functions, you know, which touches on ICANN's functions.

So, one thing that I'm considering is tracking the regional and some of the national IGFs, and considering organizing briefing sessions. Yesterday -- day before yesterday -- day before yesterday there was a (inaudible) WSIS+10 round table, and Chris Mondini, Nigel's colleague, participated and spoke on the e-friction reports, but we did also have discussions, of course about WSIS timeline for the transition that just came up spontaneously. I think it could be really helpful to think about FAQs, or informative documents, a couple of pagers that provide an update that are available as well as tracking -- national and regional IGFs, typically have very strong partnership both from ISOC, ICANN, and then of course, the national community, stakeholders.

Perhaps we could think about having informational materials that are available that could help to update, so particularly the government people to come, we aren't directly engaged, to benefit from having factual updates that are available. Not just from any briefing, say, or participation, but also even a one or two-pager that's available, that explains what processes are that are advancing the IANA transition and the Accountability mechanisms.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Marilyn. Are there any comments on this suggestion? I don't see anyone putting their hand up. Marilyn, are you volunteering to lead this effort.

Marilyn Cade: I might volunteer to work with Nigel.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: (Laughter). You've mentioned another person. Nigel Hickson?

Nigel Hickson: Sorry. Yes, Olivier. Nigel. Well, just to mention that I think Marilyn is focused on something very important. Really to pick up something she said earlier as well, the WSIS+10 Review process is somewhat of an opaque process, but for those of us that were sort of schooled in structured negotiations, the ITU process by contrast is a nice process. I mean whether what is being discussed is nice or not, but when you are in an ITU process, you know where you are going, and you know that you have national, regional, and then a global dialogue. And everything has a sort of process and a timeline. Whereas, the review of the WSIS+10 -- the WSIS+10 Review, or the WSIS outcomes; is somewhat difficult.

And as Marilyn said earlier, we don't really know what process is going to take place once the co-facilitators are appointed in June. We know there's going to be various consultations, we know that they are going to consult the multistakeholder community, but we are not exactly sure how they are going to do it. We know that the MAG are having a meeting in September, or plan to have a meeting in September in New York. We know that probably the co-facilitators will be invited to the Brazil IGF, but we don't know that much else. And so I think the suggestion by Marilyn that we could somewhat focus on regional IGF meetings to discuss WSIS, I think is very useful indeed, and because we don't have that regional sort of proprietary structure that we have for sort of ITU of that.

So using regional IGF I think is quite appropriate there, and as I put in the email, we are also trying to connect with different regional U.N. bodies, when they have discussions on this as well. Thank you.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And I think maybe, in order not to lose this point, and I personally also find the suggestion to be very interesting indeed. I've been involved with several regional IGFs that will certainly help with preparatory events for WSIS+10. If we can have an action item that Marilyn will, maybe, follow up with you. So Marilyn to follow

up with Nigel on the use of regional IGFs; the semi-regional preparatory events for WSIS+10 Review; and if anyone else on the call, or indeed listening on the call's recording, or reading the transcript, are interested in this, could they, please, just step forward or drop a note on the mailing list and see if we can do something on that. I, certainly, would be interested in keeping an eye on this as well. It's about time we actually have deliverables on IGF's (inaudible)--

Marilyn Cade: Nigel, it's just real quickly. It's Marilyn. I want to say, I'll still follow up with you, but Olivier, I just made the comment. I think that this will be particularly of interest to government, and several of the GAC members are directly involved in the national regional IGFs, and this may actually be a way to draw some interest, direct interest with GAC members.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks, Marilyn. All right, that actually takes us nicely to the call for proposals, Nigel. You touched on this, the IGF call for proposals coming up. What's the next step?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Thank you, Olivier. Nigel Hickson. So, in the report sent just before the meeting, it references the link to the call for proposals, and of course others on the call, Avri and -- may know just as much as I do, or probably more than I do, because they are on the MAG, in terms of the workshop proposals. But we are responding to this. We have until the 31st of March to respond on this. And current thinking in ICANN, in terms of discussing it, we were thinking of putting forward a proposal to touch on the Boston Consulting Group report and the update to it, as I discussed in the context of the breakfast at Barcelona. We thought this would probably be of interest to people at the IGF, and as it directly relates to how individual countries can, if you like, through different policy options, raise the GDP effect of using the Internet.

It's not that -- that's one session. The other session, the other workshop, we did also have two workshops, but we wanted, as I say, why it's opportune to discuss it now, we thought, perhaps doing something on sort of ICANN's public responsibility, but we are in your hands. We could do it together, you know -- I'm not trying to be at all prescriptive here, you know, we have the opportunity of putting in a proposal, and a number of us working on it together. I know that other people on the call will be involved in other proposals, so there's a variety of, sort of proposals going forward. So, yeah, happy to discuss.

We also thought of wanting to do something on the WSIS, of course, the IGF, but rather than doing a workshop proposal, they are thinking more about this might be a sort of a broader session on the WSIS, so it's one of the open forums, or something. Thanks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Nigel? It's Olivier speaking. Could you kindly remind us as to what events ICANN had at the assembled IGFs? So at least we have an idea of what was planned this year, or last year?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Thank you, Olivier. So, in Istanbul we had two workshops, and we had an open forum. The open forum is something which I think -- is something which we've participated in the last few years, so this is a sort of an open session where, you know, ICANN has the ability to sort of talk a bit about what's going on, and to encourage people to come along and ask questions. And certainly I think the idea will be to try and have an open forum this year, because they'll no doubt be interested in the IANA transition issues, plus those other aspects of ICANN work.

But in terms of the workshops in Istanbul, I think, we again had something on public responsibility and I -- I can't remember the other one, I do apologize, it slips my mind at the moment.

Marilyn Cade: I actually -- It's Marilyn. But I want to distinguish between ICANN submitting workshop proposals and ICANN doing an open forum. The open forum, Nigel, which as I think what you did on the Accountability, means that this is -- open forums do not have the same criteria, and as an intergovernmental and international organization, I think you are always afforded an open forum, and I would suggest you just verify that with (inaudible), but workshops have criteria including, you know, all views being heard and job diversity fitting into the new format, et cetera.

The open forums are -- have either a 60-minute or a 90-minute slot, and they are really about what that organization is doing. So ITU, the OECD, CSCD, ICANN hopefully, and I think ISOC often does an open forum as well. And I would suggest that maybe, you know, in addition to workshop proposals that you pursue the idea of an open forum as well.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks, Marilyn. Bill Drake writes in the chat, that he's been told that open forums will no longer be accepted formats at the IGF. Is that true?

Marilyn Cade: I'm sorry. Who, who wrote that?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Bill Drake wrote in the chat, that he had heard that open forums will not be -- will no longer be accepted formats at the IGF. And Avri said, she doesn't recall seeing that. Is there any hint of a rumor here?

Marilyn Cade: It's Marilyn speaking. Avri and I -- I would support Avri. I have never heard that, and I certainly, as a MAG member would not agree to support that. I think the open forums bring in the IGOs. UNESCO, for instance, will be asking for an open forum on Connecting the Dots; it would be unreasonable for us, and unrealistic for us to try to -- You know, if you just think about the Tunis Agenda which embraces all of the U.N. agencies, it would be in very bad form for us to not want those agencies to be able to provide informational sessions.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Marilyn. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And Nigel, you mentioned all of the activities at last year's IGF. Which ones would be open to core organizing between ICANN and the ICANN community as a joint organization, or maybe even led by the ICANN community? I'm well aware of the workshops which several communities at ICANN are going to organize and have some whom have actually asked for financing, but which ones, out of the ones that were led by ICANN this year, would you say should be -- or could be led jointly by the CWG at ICANN? Nigel?

Nigel Hickson: Yes, Olivier. Thank you very much. Yes, well I -- You know, I think we are completely open. As I say, we had an internal discussion with staff, one of the ideas was to have a session on the bottom consulting group report as I mentioned, and we are taking that action -- taking that initiative forward. But we are quite happy to put in a second workshop proposal on a subject which this group thinks is a good idea. You know, we as staff would be happy to, if you like, write it up, but with speakers from this community, or whatever. You know, happy to help with the session, and do the organizing, but you know -- yeah. I mean let this group take it forward. It's just we have to work fairly quickly, because as Marilyn rightly says, we have to describe it in some detail. It's only right that we describe it in detail so it can be seen to be, you know, fits within the criteria, et cetera, but we have until the 31st of March.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: And the ICANN open forums?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. The ICANN open forum, as Avri just said, it's sort of separate that we don't have to put in a proposal for that at the moment. That will be discussed, as I understand it, within the context of the MAG and we would certainly be hoping to do that. And again, you know, in the open forum as we get nearer the IGF we can discuss exactly what we'd like to sort of see take place in the open forum. I'm sure Fadi will want to say a few words about various things and we can discuss that, but it's really the workshops that we need to concentrate on if we are going to do a sort of community workshop, you know, between us, so to speak.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Nigel. Olivier speaking. And was the Town Hall event which we had in Istanbul, was that a workshop request?

Nigel Hickson: No. So the Town Hall event, and you know, I'm no expert on town halls, but it was a completely one-off initiative, as I understand it. I mean, we had a bit of a discussion on this, which, you know, took place because there were more particular issues to sort of discuss, and we don't see that being

repeated, I think. Well, not from ICANN anyway, obviously. You know, I'm not trying to say that other people shouldn't call for a Town Hall event but, I don't think we think ICANN will be doing so.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this Nigel. I'm reminded in the chat that we have 10 minutes, or not even 10 minutes for the last two points of this agenda. CCWG and IG discussions, and planning for IG events in 2015. Let's have a quick CCWG-IG discussion. Marilyn, please?

Marilyn Cade: Thank you. Actually, what I just wanted to propose -- Marilyn speaking -- is that we begin to plan early for our Brazilian event, that we would coordinate. I don't think we can do it today, but it was more, you know, let's start early. And secondly, since I made this proposal, that we consider, potentially, developing a statement, that would be from the community that might go forward to some of these fora. If we are going to do that, we will need to set up a process to do that. And again, I don't think we can do it today, but we need to have -- I think we ought to be proposing that we have tangible outputs. One being that we take on the coordination of the meeting in (inaudible), and two, that we consider if we are going to have a statement that is suitable to go forward into the WSIS+10 activities. And then we can figure out who wants to work on that.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Marilyn. And that, I think, is probably what we can pick up during our next -- in our next call, and on the mailing list, please. Funding for IG events in 2015; we spoke about the WSIS+10 Review, but we didn't speak about the WSIS+10 process itself. And we had said at the beginning of the call that we would be touching on this. I'm not exactly sure who would be taking the lead on this.

Marilyn Cade: I'm sorry, would you -- I got distracted. The lead on doing what?

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: WSIS+10 process; so we touched on the review, but we haven't touched on the process itself, and what's next on WSIS+10.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. It's Marilyn. I wonder -- I could volunteer with others. And Nigel, if you don't mind -- maybe you -- we could try to put more information together. I know there's going to be a WSIS Review -- a WSIS+10 Review event in Addis -- in Africa, so I think there will also be others, and perhaps we could just, first of all, try to gather the information. And again, if we are going to make a statement, then you know, ICANN will, undoubtedly, have attendance at some of these meeting. So with ISOC we could just try to collaborate initially just on information (inaudible).

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thanks for this, Marilyn. Is there any interest in this group to draw a statement, or put together a statement? I mean, Nigel, first maybe I could I could ask you. Is ICANN planning on drafting something?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Thank you, Olivier. Nigel here. I mean, certainly what we have done is try to write down, if you like, what our objectives are for the WSIS+10 UNGA review. And I mean, perhaps on a call we could discuss those objectives, and from that we might be able to formulate some sort of statement. I think Marilyn has a good point in that there are these different events taking place. We know of some, we don't know of them all, and if anyone from ICANN is able to go to some of these events, and you know, form the community or whatever, then having some sort high-level message that's consistent I think would be a good idea. So I think there's some merit in working on that. I think, Olivier, you also wanted to come back to the WSIS forum, the ITU WSIS forum briefly.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Oh, yes. That's correct, yeah.

Nigel Hickson: It's in your hands.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks. I've seen first, Bill Drake put his hand up, probably under the WSIS+10 Review, and then we'll come down to the forum. And I do know we are even past the half hour mark now. But, Bill Drake, you have the floor.

Bill Drake: Just briefly. I had suggested at our face-to-face meeting in Singapore, and previously, and I will say it again, I do think it will be useful to consider having this group work on statement for the WSIS+10, because I think a lot of parts of the broader community are not going to be well organized and mobilized around interfacing with that process, and certainly not at the level of expressing across community a view around the importance of the model, et cetera. And I think that it would be instructive and useful for us to actually have a deliverable in this group that we are working on, that would be of some positive nature. So, I would support that, and I also would think they are trying to do something at the WSIS+10 -- sorry -- with the WSIS Forum would be useful. So, thanks.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Alright. Thanks for this, Bill. Can I have a volunteer to sort of lead on this? Would anybody answer that? I'm not asking for a pen holder (ph), just a volunteer. Someone who will be able to chase up, take this up on the mailing list, and then we can get staff to open up a Wiki page, and maybe start a document on a Google Doc of some sort. Bill, your hand is up. Does that mean you are volunteering?

Bill Drake: No.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. I hear a lot of, "Yes, it would be great to do this. It would be great to do that." I'm a little concerned that we are all particularly overstretched at this moment in time, and I don't see anyone jumping forward wishing to taken the lead on these things. So we'll have to follow up by email definitely on this. Next, we have -- so the proposals -- sorry. Nigel, you mentioned the proposals -- sorry -- the WSIS, the deadline for that is when?

Nigel Hickson: I'm sorry. Let (inaudible) -- Sorry. Nigel here. I'm not sure of what--

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: So we have (inaudible) review on the one hand, because we've been thinking about some kind of a statement, or some kind of text being drafted for this, in advance to this. When is that deadline for WSIS+10 Review?

Nigel Hickson: Yes. Let's clarify. I think Bill is putting on the chat, there is no -- I mean the actually General Assembly discussions are in December, the actual negotiations in New York won't take place until sort of July -- July, August September. I mean, it's not as if it's happening tomorrow, but in terms of developing a statement, obviously there are these events taking place, and therefore within the next month, or three or four weeks, I suppose will be useful, but completely in your hands on that. Where we have more of a deadline is on the WSIS Forms. So the WSIS Forum is completely separate. The WSIS Forum, as Marilyn said earlier, is the annual ITU event that takes place in Geneva. This one is, I suppose significant, it could be the last, if so, depending on what happens in the General Assembly

And at t the WSIS Forum there are various workshops with various thematic sessions, with high-level segments. Fadi Chehadé is being invited to attend the high-level segment, as I've put in the -- as I've put in the note. And we have the ability, we are partner to the ITU on this WSIS Forum, and we have the ability to do a session, I'll call it a session, it's not really a workshop, it's a session. And I've put a place marker down, that we will, we'll do an ICANN session, and that, I think, is felt. You know, I'm in your hands. You know, I can -- we can make up something or we can do something together. It will be something like the 27th of May, so I mean, perhaps we could discuss it on our next call. I'm in your hands.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Okay. Thanks for this, Nigel. And since we are running out of time, let's have an action item that this topic, WSIS Forum, will be in our next call, and so we can then focus and spend some time, perhaps, putting together an agenda, and prepare for this.

Okay, excellent. Internet Governance public session of ICANN 53 in Buenos Aires, I believe we are -- we are pretty much running out of time on that. Let's continue that discussion on the mailing list, and also carry it over to our next call. It's not like Buenos Aires is happening next week. So we do have a bit of time to prepare, and we are well aware that we have already worked together, we as in the community, have worked together with staff for the public session, and the various sessions in Singapore. So I guess we are -- we are a little more used to working with each other, and seeing what objectives we can have, and leaning from the session that took place in Singapore.

Let's move on to any other business. I don't see anyone putting their hand up. So I thank all of you for being on this call. It's a little bit longer than originally anticipated. A quick question regarding next week; I now that a number of people are traveling to Istanbul, myself included. Should we -- I was wondering if we could actually give it a -- give a week off. I certainly will not be able to chair on Thursday or Friday, and Monday, Tuesday, seems to be way too close to actually come up with any meaningful discussions. I'll wait for people to type in the chat. Yeah. Okay, so mailing list, and we'll have the next call in two weeks' time, I think; unless anybody is against that.

In two weeks' time that takes us to the week starting the 30th of March, and that's the week just before the Easter Weekend. Again, a busy week, and I know that there will also be high-intensity day. Probably Friday the 3rd is off list. Anytime from Monday to Thursday, let's have a Doodle. A Doodle from Monday the (inaudible) to let's say the 2nd. Any dissent on this? Anybody against that? We cannot have it on April the 3rd, says Judith Hellerstein. Yeah, that's correct. Yeah. No. No. We'll keep the Friday out for various reasons. As we know the festive season for a few religions, I would say. So, from the 30th to the 2nd; are we okay with that, Renate? Yeah. Okay. Excellent!

Well, thanks to all of you, thanks for having remained all the amount of time on this. I think we've made some good progress, let's follow up on the mailing list. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening and good night, and have a good weekend, everyone. Bye-bye.

Nigel Hickson:

Good bye.