
GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone on today's APRALO Capacity Building webinar call on Wednesday, the 11th of March at 05:00 UTC.

We have Holly Raiche, Maureen Hilyard, Siranush Vardanyan, Pavan Budhrani, Ali Al Meshal, and Satish Babu.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, Kelvin Wong; and myself, Gisella Gruber.

If I could please just remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, and over to you, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Gisella. Thank you very much. Welcome, again, everyone. Thank you for joining all of us. I think that today we can discuss, and as all of us are here, we can come to the final decision and our colleagues from Singapore can start already organization of this webinar.

I think that I will pass to Kelvin now to ask him to ask whatever he's proposed and for us to discuss and decide the timeframes and the frequency of the webinars to be organized. But first, Kelvin to explain how they envisage to do that and what is the capacity in Singapore staff to run this webinar. Then we'll go forward. Kelvin?

KELVIN WONG: Hello, can you hear me?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Kelvin.

KELVIN WONG: Great. Thank you so much. I think I'll let Ariel start first. We talked through the agenda for this and she'll be taking you through some of the topics and I'll be taking you through some of the items as well. So maybe if, Ariel, you are here, can I let you go through the first three items?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Kelvin, if someone is going to take us somewhere, we are happy, so go ahead.

KELVIN WONG: We discussed this on how to approach this before this call. I'll let Ariel kick-start the discussion.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Kelvin. Thanks, Siranush. Just very quickly, we're going to talk about agenda first. The first one we're going to discuss is [the] number of capacity building webinars. We need to remember we proposed two tracks for the webinar in Singapore. One track is an introductory type of

webinar, and the other is based on policy topics that interest APRALO members.

Then we haven't come to a conclusion how many numbers we want to have for each track, as well as the frequency whether it's one webinar per month or more than that. That's just a decision we need to make together. I'd like the APRALO leaders to brainstorm and decide on that. That's the first item we're going to discuss.

The second one is the organization of the webinars. Basically, LACRALO is proposing a webinar program and they want to organize it based on the progression of [inaudible] of each webinars, and I will show you examples of how they are going to do that in the AC room later. We need to have a discussion and see whether this is the approach we want to have where we just simply organize the webinars based on their categories, like a technical topic or strategic topic, etc. That's the second item.

And then the third, we will use a chunk of the time today to discuss a survey that Maureen built and also receive feedback from all of you about other suggestions. Then we'll go through these in detail.

The last item is a quick discussion whether we want to have a webinar on the IANA stewardship transition at the end of March. That's a decision we want to make today after a discussion with all of you.

On that note, maybe we can just go to the first item about the target number. What do you think will be a reasonable number to target for each track? I see Holly with a raised hand. Holly, please go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Instead of having a set number – first of all, I think more than one a month, because we have an APRALO meeting once a month and more than one other may be a little bit of a stretch. What I was going to suggest – and maybe this is with me wearing the At-Large review hat – whenever there’s a new policy put out for comments, it would be really useful to have a webinar to actually explain to APRALO, and indeed to all the RALOs, what the issue is, what the issue is for end users so that whomever is holding the pen, if we decide to comment . . .

Well, first of all, it means we can decide whether it’s worth commenting or not. Then what the comments are, it will be a way of supporting additional input into ICANN.

Now, there’s not going to be a new policy every month. That means there will be other policy issues. But I think putting that in the mix will be really helpful for us contributing to the policy work of APRALO, and indeed of ALAC. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Holly. Also, just reading the comments in the chat, Heidi mentioned that there’s also a large capacity building webinar series active at the moment. That’s something additional we have to take into consideration. I also hear what Holly said about having a webinar based on a public comment. If we have webinars that give background to that, that will help ALSes participating. Also, Satish said one webinar per month should be max.

Just to have a comment on what Holly said, I know that sometimes the public comments come out in rapid mode, because I'm doing all the policy – I'm monitoring all the policy topics and sometimes one day they can have three topics come out. Then my usual process is to approach the ALAC chair and ask who to contact in regards to those public comments, whether the ALAC should issue a statement. [inaudible] chair or the potential penholders agree to issue a statement.

If that's the case, do we still want to have a webinar on those public comment requests to give background on those requests or no? This is just a question to pose to you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I think – and other people can chime in – I appreciate that policies are not issued once every month, which would be really convenient. They do come out sometimes not very often, and sometimes very quickly. I think it would be useful, particularly where a decision is made to comment, to have background and maybe have the chair of ALAC and the chair of APRALO decide what is the most important.

It may be something that the other RALOs want to do, too, because we're all supposed to be commenting. It would be really useful to have background. I'm not sure how you fit that in, but I think it would be a really useful – it would give people an opportunity.

Siranush, maybe another way to deal with it is in the call every month we decide whether or not we want to have a webinar on a topic or whether we've got something else scheduled. I just think it would be useful somewhere in the mix to have webinars on the things that people

are supposed to be commenting on, and then just try to fit that into a schedule.

I think the other thing, Heidi, is I wasn't really aware of the ALAC webinars. That's a new one. I'm sorry I haven't been following them. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Holly. Anybody wanted to comment? Okay. Just to ask whether anybody wanted to comment on the call—

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Ariel, sorry.

ARIEL LIANG: Please go ahead, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I just want to clarify here. I would agree that whenever there is a policy to comment on, if we can organize some 30-minute [inaudible] APRALO call webinar to describe that policy, that would be great. But I'm not sure if we will be able to do that. I don't know.

But here I would like to clarify one point as well. We are talking about two types of webinars. One is technical, which is organized by Kelvin. And one is by Ariel – the one which is general. Both are for APRALO.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Siranush. Just to comment on your question, actually, the APAC staff and At-Large staff collaborate on both tracks, so it's not a divide that Kelvin doing the technical track or Silvia do the introductory track. We do it together for both.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I agree. So we are thinking about one series of webinars, be it technical, be it general, be it policy development specific, I don't know. We are talking about one general series of webinars.

ARIEL LIANG: Actually, now we're talking about two tracks and we want to understand how many for each track. So maybe we can regard what Holly proposed about the policy – respond to the public comment requests, a policy type of webinars will be leaning towards technical track. Then the introductory track will be something like talking about APRALO's role in ICANN, what is ALSes, or even a general topic about how policy development works in ICANN. Something like that. That's more the introductory track. We're trying to understand how many for each track APRALO wants.

I see Maureen also has her hand raised. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Hi, there. Hello?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, we can hear you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think that it was – I was sort of getting a little bit confused. As you say, ALAC already has a scheduled set of webinars, and I thought that what we were hoping to do with our survey – and really it should've gone out ages ago – we wanted to identify just some sort of [inaudible] very quickly what some needs were with regards to our own RALO that we could perhaps slot into the schedule that's already there, because I think that in some of the ALAC schedule – I'm trying to find it again – there are some gaps.

There's things there that we are keen for our RALOs, for our ALS members, to actually look into and it's already being prepared. But we also wanted to identify things.

I think, as Holly said, sometimes people don't participate [inaudible] policy because they don't understand what it's about. So if there is a gap, I think that's what we should follow-up with. We should follow-up with something that's going to inform them so that they actually better participate.

If this is just for our own RALO, we're not actually looking at it as across the board sort of thing. [inaudible] try and identify when we're looking at capacity building, for me in particular, I just wanted to clarify any confusion that I might have, that we are looking at it from the APRALO perspective [inaudible].

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, Maureen. To answer your question, yes we are only targeting the APRALO members. The survey that you did is very helpful for getting some insight about their background and their interest. We're exactly looking at the APRALO members.

Kelvin also raised his hand. Kelvin?

KELVIN WONG:

Hi. I think I got into the call a bit late. I wasn't sure if we talked about the technical tracks already. But I just wish to clarify that when we talked about the tracks, Siranush, you are right that we are talking about particular series.

So right now this discussion we're talking about APRALO capacity building webinar series. This is going to be one series. Of course we already know that there's an At-Large capacity building series, but now we're talking about the APRALO capacity building webinar series. As Ariel said, it's going to be for APRALO.

As for the different tracks, think of it as a syllabus. We are just trying to give more structure to the topics that we're going to discuss within this APRALO capacity building webinar series. So think of the different tracks as the syllabus.

We will have a general track, which is really our way of grouping the syllabus, like I mentioned. So a general one could be an ICANN update. It could be [child] protection or it could be the role of At-Large Structures for ICANN. So something very general strategy.

And for the technical ones it's just our way of grouping and to inform people what they are in for when they attend the webinar. So it could be topics like IDN, it could be DNS [inaudible]. It could be DNSSEC. So all these would be, like I mentioned, within a single series. That is our way of organizing.

That is opposed to what LACRALO is organizing their webinar, which is a basic, intermediate, and advanced. So that is their way of organizing the syllabus and I'm proposing that we organize it in terms of general, technical, and perhaps emerging issues which will then address Holly's comment on when we can have a webinar, whenever there's a new policy. That can come under an emerging issues track.

I hope I'm not confusing the matter and I hope I've made some clarification.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, Kelvin. Just to echo, this is exactly what we are proposing is just a way to look at the curriculum and organize them. Siranush, please go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Yes, Ariel. Thank you. Kelvin, thanks for your [explanation]. That was my assumption that we are talking about a series of webinars and we are talking about different tracks. So in parallel, and people are posting also in the chat that there is the capacity building series, which is Tijani running. He is looking after it. There are a lot of topics already included in that webinar which different experts are coming and it's open for all.

Here, if we are thinking about ICANNLearn, some kind of – it is also already open for other people. We need to do something specific for APRALO [timing] as we agreed and specific for APRALO ALSes. Our main idea is to encourage them to participate more actively in policy development.

I would prefer that we have more policy development experts to explain what is it and what different policies are there by the time they are coming, and people are able to comment because they would understand better.

For me personally, it is difficult to comment when I don't know what is it when I don't have enough knowledge on that policy detail.

Let us not just put all the stuff to overburden people, but to provide maybe less webinars but content-wise, more important. This is my approach.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Siranush, for the comment. Kelvin, is that an old hand or a new hand?

KELVIN WONG: Sorry, that's an old hand.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you. Thank you, Siranush, for that comment. Just to reiterate what you commented, from your standpoint, APRALO's particular

webinars should focus more on policy and more technical type of information and with more substance. Then the general ones probably less. Is that a correct understanding of your suggestion? Okay, thank you.

Holly, please go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I think we're probably talking about two things. We are talking about policy and the need to understand, if we're going to be involved on commenting on something, the usefulness of having a webinar on it. But that isn't to say that more general webinars that would help not only us, but if we're going back to our ALS to explain what we're doing. I think we're being asked to comment on three levels, it would be really useful to just have a look at what LACRALO is doing, what they're calling as basic, intermediate, and advanced because it may be what they're putting in advanced is policy stuff and it may be what they're doing for beginners is a basic explanation about ICANN.

I can also see a role for people like myself who are not technically minded to have really basic information about DNSSEC, about some of the technical stuff. I can also see a very real role for having some really basic webinars just to say there's always discussion about WHOIS, and for a very basic webinar to actually go back and say, "What are we talking about? What are the issues? What are the working groups? What's been decided so far?" so that if we have policy sought on a particular issue relating to WHOIS, there is something people can either

look at or is in a library somewhere where they can find that information and bring themselves up to date.

I think webinars can be a really useful tool, and I'm not so sure that I'm thinking about just scheduling them every so often but wondering what's available, what we can use when we want to refresh our own knowledge in some way or use it to say – I'm going back into my ALS and I'm going to explain to my ALS about what we're up to in WHOIS, but I'm the only one who figures out what that term means and it would be really useful to have kind of a basic library somewhere that says this is what the basic issue is and this is what ICANN's involvement is.

I'm not sure we should be talking about things as an either/or, but as a series of resources that are appropriate in different circumstances. And in terms of whether we schedule them, it may be that where there are not policy issues that are confronting us. It will be nice to have a little refresher course. Where are we up to with IDNs? How many people actually know? Probably the rest of us don't unless we live it and breathe it.

Or where the update on ICANN and the whole transition thing, because I'm sure, unless anybody else is following it, I just stopped following it. It's become too different. And it would be really useful to have a webinar either for us or for everybody that goes, "This is where we're up to. These are the debates you will be asked to vote on X, Y, Z."

Probably all of that is a way of saying I'm not sure we just want to have a series. I think we want to have a lot of them as knowledge tools and then don't overload ourselves with having a lot of them all the time, but

identify maybe in the APRALO call, say, what do we want to know about in the next couple of months? We can start preparing them and then have that information available.

That's not as organized as I think what was being proposed but I think it may be more useful. Sorry to take so long.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Holly. Thank you for the comment. Just to let you know that we projected on the screen is the examples from LACRALO how they organize their webinar. Actually, you correctly predicted the basic levels really about ICANN general information, basic information about the DNS, the DNS ecosystem.

And then the intermediate level they organized is about some particular program that ICANN deals with in the new gTLD program, DNS security. Also, they think IANA functions and [inaudible] is more an intermediate level webinar topic.

Then the advanced ones are more technical, about the universal acceptance, for example; domain name collision; and other specific topics.

Just to be clear, this is a proposal from LACRALO and also the LAC Hub. They haven't rolled out the webinar based on this curriculum yet. And to my knowledge, I know they have the first webinar ready. It's about the GAC. We don't know for sure whether this is the [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [laughter] [inaudible] time.

ARIEL LIANG: Yeah. We don't know for sure this is the track they're going. We probably don't have some existing webinar on those topics, so if we're concerning about reinventing the wheel, this may not be the concern for the moment because those webinars haven't started yet on those topics.

I also heard what you said about having those existing learning tools ready and people can choose whatever levels are useful for them to participate. One of our ideas is, for example, if we have a webinar on the introductory information on a topic, we can further develop it into ICANNLearn with more advanced materials.

So just quickly, to get back to you on the comment – I see Maureen has a hand raised. Holly, you will be next after Maureen. Maureen, please?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Ariel. I just wanted to – I think I did ask about the topics from LACRALO, which I think it's already organized. Are these webinars in English for LACRALO?

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Maureen. I believe they should have both English and Spanish. I [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Ariel, these are, I believe – and Gisella can correct me – but the LACRALO call will be interpreted in English, Spanish, and now Portuguese as well. So the full language capability there.

HOLLY RAICHE: And so there are participants who want to get in later [inaudible] listen to a Portuguese version or a Spanish version?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. That's the purpose. We found in the past, even if they can't make it during the call, then they would go ahead and download that particular language when they have time. That's something that – I'm not sure who's on the agenda today. Would you want the APRALO calls/webinars to have interpretation into Chinese, maybe even Hindi now? I'm not sure. That's something you might want to consider.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think that's one of the things that I was actually going to mention. I think if we take into account the content of what we're presenting in our webinars – a lot of our ALSes from the Asian community [inaudible] English. The content needs to be basic. The presentation needs to be basic.

However, if the content was actually in their own languages, it could be presented in a much more technical level because their understanding of it would be different. I must admit, I did neglect into the survey that I originally wrote what their first language was. It's important for us because we have so many different languages. We can at least attempt

to include Chinese and whatever other languages would be appropriate. I think we need to be looking at that just as LACRALO does. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Maureen, for your comments. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE:

First of all, I think this is an absolutely terrific list and I'd probably like to attend all of these – not all at once. But I think this is a great start. I'm just wondering, Siranush, could we have this list as one of the documents that is part of an APRALO call and then we can say is this what we want? Then at the same time, maybe identify a couple of languages. For instance, Ali, do you want this in Arabic? Would that help with any of this?

I can see going back to my ALS that has almost has trouble with the name ICANN at various times, because they forget. And I'm surprised you've got IPv4, IPv6 in basic DNS, but never mind. Have us go through and say what is it that we think our ALSes want as a really basic way into ICANN, and then form our own list. But I really think this is a terrific list to start with, if we can have this as an agenda item and circulate to people so they can say . . .

For example, in the advanced, I didn't see WHOIS, I didn't see the privacy proxy stuff. I didn't see some of the policy stuff that we're doing. I think we probably have some really good suggestions to come up with. But I just think this is a great start and I'd like to work on it and have maybe our own list, if that's okay. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Ariel, if I can.

ARIEL LIANG: Of course.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Holly, I agree completely that this is a terrific place to start. That's why I said that there's no need to invent a bicycle. There is already – it's on the table, so we can use it. I don't think that there is some issue with property rights, so I think we can use it. We can start with this, really.

Actually, this is the list compiled from the topics suggested by ALSes. So when Tijani was also gathering the information on the topics, [inaudible] from LACRALO was sending this topic, I was sending the compiled version from APRALO. So people were sending this.

And based on this also, webinars. A series of webinars run by Tijani were also developed. This is some kind of – they separated it for LACRALO to have it also in Spanish and Portuguese. And we can use the same approach with these topics to be started in APRALO with the translation needed.

I agree that we can do that. We can ask Ariel to present this during our monthly call on March 26th and ask them – we have already on the table, and if there's anyone who would like to add or to take out any topics and also related to the languages, what languages we want this

webinar to be translated. So this is the step forward we can take from now.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Siranush. Just to clarify about the action item, maybe I will coordinate with Silvia because that's the LACRALO list and she shared with me, so maybe she knows more details. Anyhow, At-Large staff will present this list in the APRALO monthly call this month. Then the members will have a discussion whether that's the way forward in terms of topic choice for the APRALO webinars, as well as the organization of this webinar based on basic, intermediate, and advanced level.

Is that a correct interpretation for the action item? Thank you, Siranush, I see you agree. Wonderful.

I'm conscious about the time. We haven't covered item number two and three in the agenda. Perhaps we can just move to number four about the survey discussions. Then I'm going to share this on the screen very momentarily with our suggestions.

Siranush?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Yes.

ARIEL LIANG:

Siranush, I think we lost you. Did you mute yourself?

HOLLY RAICHE: Where has she gone?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Hello, can you hear me?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, we can hear you now.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Great. I think that for summarizing this page, whatever has been discussed, this is a great start and I think that we can move with the next – the action item was here to show this in APRALO monthly call on March 26th. And from that already we can – we will also have parallel the survey out, and by the end of the month, we'll have some results of the survey. We will compile all the information coming both from a monthly call and from the survey. Then probably via e-mail or having one additional call with this group again finalize whatever this decision will be. Sounds a good plan? I don't know.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Siranush. I think it's a good plan. It's a natural transition to decide about the survey. I think maybe we can start just to ask a general question. Maureen has answered I think question number one, how we are going to distribute the survey to ALS members.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, let's move to the survey part now.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thank you, Siranush. So for the first question, how we're going to send the survey, based on what I read from Maureen's reply, we don't aim to let every single ALS member to fill out the survey because it's just unrealistic.

What I'm curious about is what's the mechanism we're going to use to distribute the survey? Maureen, would you like to comment or Siranush?

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, thank you, Maureen. I don't think that we were initiating this survey for thousands of members of ALSes. Our initial idea was to identify those people who are primary and secondary contacts, those who are already subscribed to our mailing list and who are participating in some way in ICANN meetings or in APRALO monthly calls, etc.

But those – what kind of expertise do they have and how we can [inaudible], how we can make them more active in participation in different activities related to ICANN.

For example, in my organization, there are 3,000 members and none of them have any idea of what is ICANN. And only primary and secondary

contact people are aware of what's going on in many cases. I mean, those 3,000 are volunteers and they are coming and going.

So our initial thought was not to involve them in the survey. This is – our ALS is primary and secondary contacts. Maybe I'm wrong, but Maureen, if you can correct me.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

No, that was my understanding as well, Siranush, that we would target those ones that we had contact with. And to be honest, we've actually had contact with at least one person in each ALS over the last couple of years anyway. So they already know us and it isn't difficult for us to get some feedback from them. I think that's really, for us as a RALO, I think that friendly touching base kind of survey is really what we were hoping to achieve. And I was really hoping that we could have actually got it done before this meeting, but [it doesn't matter].

I think that before we have our next actual APRALO meeting, it will be good to get it out and to ask if they can actually respond as soon as possible.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Maureen; and thank you, Siranush for the clarification, so we understand more about your approach to send a survey to primary and secondary ALS contacts. I think that's a good way to go.

So I think that's a question that has been addressed. I assume that you will probably use the mailing list and to distribute the survey. I'm not sure whether you want to approach those primary and secondary

contacts individually, because I do know in our database we have all their contact information as well.

What's your thought on that, Siranush?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think that initially we were proposing to send it through APRALO mailing list. This was the best way, because all of them both – primary and secondary contacts – are subscribed to our mailing list and we are not intending to get response from both. So one per ALS response is quite enough for us and there will be strictly the name of the person who is filling it or sending it.

We just send it through our APRALO mailing list and we will provide the reminders, I don't know, in two or five or ten days. It depends on the timeframe or the deadline we are providing. And there is no other [need].

And in case if there will be some ALSes who do not feel we may send an individual e-mail later. So at this point, mailing list is effectively used by our ALSes and we can use it as a great tool to share the information.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Siranush, for the clarification. I think that's a good way to go, a good approach. Then from staff side, I probably will just double check and make sure all the primary and secondary contacts are on the mailing list. I believe it is the case, but I will double check.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, that would be great if you check if they both are for sure subscribed, because we are not sure about the new ones who just joined and we want all of them to also fill the survey.

ARIEL LIANG: Of course. I will double check for that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG: So a second question I want to ask is I'm not sure what tool Maureen used to do the survey. I'm just curious what's the mechanism for collecting responses and calculating the results. Is that an automated way to do that or do we actually need to do it manually?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. I must admit, because we were [inaudible] only looking at about 30, possibly 70, and I have done more [inaudible] responses – and that's one of the reasons why we wanted to keep it short. It's really just coming back to an e-mail address, and they've gone to a spreadsheet so I can actually analyze it from there.

The [inaudible] program is actually sort of like a database that's actually been produced here by one of my colleagues. It's not too difficult to get all the in from it.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Maureen, for the information. Just to let you know, if you'd like staff assistance for that, I think we're happy to help as well because we have experience doing surveys through Survey Monkey. That tool has an automated way to calculate response. So if you would like to have that assistance, we are happy to provide and we can coordinate that offline.

Also, Heidi has a question: "Has the duration for the survey been agreed?" Perhaps, Siranush, you could maybe set a tentative starting and end date for the survey. Could we do that on the call?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

I think that based on the finalization of the questions, we can finish the questions during this call and finalize whatever we have there because we have discussed the questions, and I see here on the screen that there are some questions that are double-barrel questions, etc. If we can clear that today, I am ready to send the link to ALSes and ask them to fill in the survey, and we can give them just two weeks from now. If we can give them two weeks from now, it will be right before our monthly call on March 26th, and on March 26th we can see who didn't respond and encourage or give two or three more days or to extend the deadline for one week as well. So we'll have March 31st the last day for filling. Before that, we can send one or two reminders and remind during monthly call as well. And on March 31st, we can close the survey.

Then Maureen will be getting the information. We will find out how this result system will be leveraged. I think that March is my initial thought to come up and finish with this survey by the end of March.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you very much for the clarification, Siranush. I just wrote down that note in the action items. So we'll focus on the clearing the questions during this call, then.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Ariel. Sorry. Just to answer Heidi's question, yes, we assume that at this point we will have it only in English, the survey.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Siranush. Perhaps we can move to the detailed feedback for the survey questions for now, and I projected a question on the screen as well just for you to see. And I appreciate the contacts that Maureen provided. When we provided the suggestions, we were not really aware of the detailed ideas behind the construction of the survey. I agree some of the answers doesn't need to be super comprehensive and they just need to be relevant to the APRALO members.

Then our main suggestion, I think maybe just perhaps question A-3. I'm going to paste the survey link in the AC chat as well, just to give you easy access to the original wording for the question. I think that's the question we can probably use to help gain insight from our members and for the purpose of the capacity building webinar topic, because that question is addressing both the topic that you're interested in at ICANN and then your area of expertise. So it's asking two things in one question.

Then our suggestion is perhaps separate this into two sub-questions. I'm wondering whether you agree with this approach. Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Ariel. I think [inaudible] talking to our ALSes, we [inaudible] any areas of expertise is related to their interest. So that's why it was sort of like – it may, in the ICANN system, seem to be two completely distinct kinds of descriptions. I think that from our perspective in relation to our discussions with our RALOs, it's a little less distinct.

And I think, too, we have – again, we're probably offered . . . Let me just have a look. Sorry, I'm just looking at the [inaudible]. Yeah, we put in a few areas of things that I felt that we have actually discussed in the past and given them another option, just keeping it to three lines. It's really the fact that I wanted to keep it compact. It's really up to the other members of the RALO as well, because [inaudible] my other colleagues feel is important, so we need to [pull] things out or add more. Those comments haven't come back.

I just feel that, although I really do appreciate the comments that you've made, it's just that I would like to not make it too comprehensive. I think we'll be discussing the later additional questions, the Survey Monkey questions, like [inaudible] as far as I'm concerned for this particular – for what we were wanting to do, for what we were wanting to achieve, for this particular survey. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Maureen, for the comment. Siranush?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes. I just want to clarify, you put in the action item that survey response initially to be presented by March APRALO call 26th. It [should be first]. But this is not what I have said. We will not be able to present the responses on the 26th. We will give the deadline to 25th, and on the 26th call we will just clarify how many didn't respond and provide probably an additional one week for people to come back and fill in the survey.

The process of survey filling will be given from now from today or tomorrow until March 31st. After that only, we will [collaborate] the results and then I suppose that during April monthly call of APRALO we will be able to present it. This is just clarification for the action item.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Siranush. We will clarify the action item and correct it. Kelvin?

KELVIN WONG: Okay. Thanks, Ariel; and thanks, Siranush. I just have a quick comment. I know we are all happy with the LACRALO list of topics and there was a suggestion to discuss this during the APRALO call. I was just wondering is this going to be a bit of a challenge trying to discuss this long list and trying to identify which one is important for the ALSes within APRALO.

So, actually, my suggestion was to somehow incorporate this into the survey. But of course Maureen also mentioned that we don't want to make it too complicated, so I'm trying to find a good balance. We've

been trying to identify what exactly does the ALS need, so that we know how to structure the next few webinars and also trying to make sure that the survey remains as simple as possible.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Kelvin. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Ariel. This is not really in direct response to Kelvin, but more so in what the future for such surveys might be. As all of these, the RALOs have now either have sent or are about to imminently send these surveys. Alan, Olivier, and staff have discussed the possibility of having future more regular surveys that might be a little bit more rigorous and a little bit more harmonized across the RALOs.

So while Alan is still on his much-deserved holiday, I think that we're seeing some sort of agreement that might be the way to go. It doesn't need to start right away. It might start after the [inaudible]. And Holly, it might include questions for the At-Large review if needed. This is not going to be a one-off. It's likely that we're going to be seeing a number of surveys in the near future. I just wanted to add that. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Heidi, for the information. Also, please note Maureen's question in the chat, too. Just to clarify, I think we're not doing the one-size-fits-all model for RALOs at this point. It's just kind of an ongoing discussion what to do in the future for our future surveys, whether we

want to harmonize that across RALOs or not and what kind of approach we want to have.

Nothing has been decided yet. It's just an ongoing discussion. We will probably integrate the survey with the At-Large review as well, so we will see how that goes in the future. But at this current moment, definitely for the current APRALO survey, we definitely don't need to make a lot of drastic changes.

I'm conscious of time. We only have one minute left for this call, but just a very quick question. Do we still want to integrate any question in the current survey specifically about the topics of the webinars? As you can see on the screen right now, this is additional question that Kelvin and I came up with asking people to raise their interest on various topics. We think this may be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, but we want to hear what you think, whether this is an additional question that can be integrated. And we're aware this can extend the length of the survey and make it maybe a little more difficult for respondents to fill out. So we'd like to hear your opinion on that.

Maureen or Siranush have any comments?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Are you incorporating everything that's on the screen?

ARIEL LIANG:

Well, that's our question for you, how to avoid that question. Maybe you'll recall that in the capacity building working group they have a survey that's a similar format. Let me just show you very quickly. I'm

going to paste the link in the chat. That's a question that asks people to rate their interest on maybe 20 different topics, and then they can rate one as not interested, five as very interested.

We're just thinking maybe this can be a way to a [pull] APRALO members interested in those topics, but we know this can make the survey very long, so we want to know whether this is something we want to do on this current survey.

GISELLA GRUBER: I think Maureen [inaudible]. So do I, actually.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, understood. Okay. Siranush also hates it. It's fine. Okay, now we don't have that question. This is our main feedback for the current survey, and on the other feedback, basically I don't think we need to implement these as suggestions [inaudible] aligned with, and also the correspondent's role in the working group. We assume that all the correspondents know what they're asked for. So that's fine.

Perhaps just one last question. Do we want to revise question A3 to [split] it into two? I heard what Maureen said is to keep it compact, we ask them both their expertise and interest in one question. Maybe we just want to hear a decision from you, whether we still want to keep the question as it is or we actually split it into two sub-questions.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: May I?

ARIEL LIANG: Please.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think that our initial thought was not to complicate the survey and to get at least clear explanations to ALSes what we specifically want. I would leave it also to Maureen with the way how it was structured. It was agreed, the structure, actually. We can have some clarifications in the comments which have double-barrel questions, etc., but let's not put a lot of questions in this survey just for people to fill it, because if it takes more than five minutes, no one will go there.

ARIEL LIANG: Understood. Thank you, Siranush. Perhaps, Maureen, you can maybe comment on the next step for the survey whether we want to change anything based on our suggestion or just keep it as it is.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Ariel. I know that Siranush and I and Holly are sort of on [inaudible] of where we were at when we first decided to do this. We wanted to make it simple to actually get some feedback. It's one of the first times we've actually really made a directed approach to our ALSes, and we didn't want it to be [inaudible] and we don't want it to be an academic exercise. We don't want it to be a technical exercise. We just wanted to get some feedback, and we said we want to find out about you, about your ALS, and about how you're involved in ALAC-type activities.

It's just a few short questions that are just going to give us a feel of where ALSes are, what actually worries them about their involvement. We haven't put things into [inaudible]. We haven't given them too many ideas. We want to hear from them about how we can help them participate more.

We can actually discuss this more when we have our meetings and when we give our feedback to them. Hopefully, we'll start the dialogue. But that was the purpose, to actually establish a dialogue between the ALSes and the RALO leadership. What happens outside of APRALO really wasn't a concern to us.

If we can actually just [inaudible] what we've got at the moment, we can fine-tune it down the track, and [inaudible] organized about what you really want to do and then if we can just do our survey, I think it would be really helpful to us as a RALO. Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Maureen. I'll appreciate your comment and we understood the point as well. I think we agree that with both the survey and also sharing the list from LACRALO on the APRALO call, we can complement each other and get sufficient information about what kind of topics interest them and what potential webinars we can have for the future.

Heidi also has a question. Heidi, would you like to ask the question on the call?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:

I've got to go.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's okay. They can read it if they'd like. I know that everyone is tight on time. My question simply was do you want just an open question about "tell us what's on your mind" but perhaps that question [C3] is asking that in a sense, but something to consider.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thank you, Heidi. I think there is [inaudible] decision we made is to keep the survey as it is and distribute it today or no later than tomorrow and give them a two-week period to get back to us, and based on the response rate and decide whether to extend the deadline to the 31st of March. Is this a correct interpretation for the decision?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Holly. I know that we are really approaching the very end of this call. I think item number five in the agenda we can skip because we need to hear the feedback on topics from APRALO members by the end of March. It would probably be premature to have a webinar on IANA [inaudible]. We also know that the CWG and CCWG have meetings this month, so maybe another really good timing to have that webinar.

Siranush has a comment. [inaudible] anyway. Perhaps we should open this as a discussion in the call now. I know that we're already ten minutes past the call.

HOLLY RAICHE: I can't stay, sorry.

ARIEL LIANG: It's okay. Thank you, Holly. Perhaps we will just discuss this offline with e-mail, specifically about the IANA webinar in March. I'm just reading the chat. Siranush or Kelvin, do you want to chime in and make any comment on that? I know, Siranush, [inaudible] consider IANA as a starting – yes, please?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think that we can have both the information on April 9th as APAC already is organizing a webinar on IDN on April 9th, so the information can be sent to APRALO mailing list. Those who are interested can just join that webinar.

The same for IANA stewardship. There is already a planned webinar, and this is APAC timing and APAC community targeted. We can definitely send this information to our people, even prior to their survey filling or prior to our finalization of this topic of webinar.

If APAC stuff, as Kelvin mentioned, is already doing that, we can already send the information and ask people to participate. That's just simple and easy. Don't make it challenging.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Siranush. Kelvin, would you like to comment on what Siranush asked about whether APAC has any bandwidth or already has planned for organizing a webinar for IANA transition?

KELVIN WONG: We haven't had any plans for this, but IDN is definitely on. I agree with Siranush. We can see [inaudible] APRALO webinar, I don't know – but definitely we can look to collaborate on this one as a start and we take it from there.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I completely agree with Kelvin. We can do that.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Kelvin. Thank you, Siranush. Just to clarify the action item, perhaps we have the IDN webinar as a start for this hearing and then staff and APRALO leaders will collaborate on that, so we make it [inaudible] for this program. Is that a correct action item?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, I think.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, thank you. We'll send the action items after the call. I think we have pretty much covered everything from the agenda. I'll also review the chat just to make sure we don't miss anything. If there's anything

that needs to be addressed, we'll contact each other by e-mail. The immediate action item is to send out the survey.

I note that Siranush wanted to do that through the mailing list. Should we say staff send out the survey with the link in the mailing list or would you like to do that like the APRALO leaders do that [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Either way we can do this. You have the link, so the survey is finalized right now, Maureen – am I right? Can you confirm that this is already the way we want to use it?

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Sorry, Maureen, I didn't hear you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry. I was busy typing in the chat and I missed that question.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Is there anything else to work on the survey or is it finalized already?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, it's up to the leadership team. If I get anymore feedback from the leadership team, then I'll change it. But if I haven't, then it's ready to go.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So can I ask you to send the final link to the list of people who were here – actually, I can send it to APRALO mailing list. So no problem, Ariel. I can do it. Then we will have reminders going on [inaudible].

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, sounds good.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I just wanted to say that if there are any changes that need to be made, the links haven't changed. It's the same link. [inaudible] update it on my end.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen, I agree, but I there are any changes needed to be done, I don't want to send the link now to the list – I mean, I'll just need the confirmation that the information there is final. That's it and I will send the link.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, that's fine with me. Just let me know.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, good.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Siranush. Thank you, Maureen. From staff, we will just double check on the primary and secondary ALS contacts are on the mailing list. We will do that ASAP and I will get back to you by the end of – well, sometime in my daytime today on Wednesday. Perhaps we can send out – Siranush, you can send out the link after I give you the final confirmation that everybody’s subscribed. Is that okay?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Ariel. Okay, I will wait to hear from you and then will send.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, thank you. I will get back to you very soon in a few hours.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. Thank you, guys. Thank you, all.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thanks, everyone. Bye-bye. Thanks, Ariel.

KELVIN WONG: Thanks, everyone. Bye.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone. The meeting has been adjourned and the audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today’s call.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]