

**ICANN**

**Moderator: Maryam Bakoshi**  
**April 20, 2016**  
**8:00 am CT**

Coordinator: The recordings have started.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much Ashley. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening.  
This is the NCSG ExCom meeting on the 20th of April 2016.

On the call today we have Monica Zalneriute, Rudi Vansnick, Tapani Tarvainen and we have Klaus Stoll on the bridge. From Staff we have myself, Maryam Bakoshi.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much. Over to you Tapani.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you Maryam and welcome everybody. The main purpose for this meeting was to discuss Helsinki arrangements. You know, we have I hope a little more details about what's going to happen.

Maryam can you get us the B meeting schedule on this plan – the preliminary plan, whatever it was?

Maryam Bakoshi: Well I'll do that in a minute. Thank you very much Tapani.

Tapani Tarvainen: If we have time to spare we can also take a good look at – a look at the pending member applications. But I'm afraid I have to leave in an hour so – or actually 47 minutes now so let's try to get through what we can in that time.

And also we have in agenda that will be - confirm request we saw in the discuss list. Maybe we should start with that because that seems to be reasonably easy item, namely that I already had notes complete – don't want that. But have all seen the message on the list I'm talking about?

Klaus Stoll: Yes Tapani you are talking about the World Economic Forum.

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes.

Klaus Stoll: Okay. Yes. I've given my reply on the list. I'm thinking that it is – that is a good initiative on a personal level but that I wouldn't sign it as NCUC, as NCSG or whatever to not – in order not to give institutional support to the WEF or recognition to the WEF.

And also it looks like from the layout of the letter itself that they are actually looking for individuals and not organizations but I might be wrong on that.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you Klaus. Now look at the message that they do list who has already signed, and there were several that seem to be on behalf of an organization but otherwise your assessment seems fair enough.

All right, let's see if I can find which attachment it was. There are at least people signing on behalf of Amnesty International, Africa 2.0, African

Leaders and they're saying that they're signing on behalf of those so they are certain organizations to sign.

Klaus Stoll: Okay well I'll take the record but the arguments to this remains the same.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay any other opinions in this? I see Monika supports signing. Since our decisions are made by consensus you'll have to persuade Klaus to change his opinion. Monika would you like to explain your position?

Monika Zalneriute: Can you hear me properly?

Klaus Stoll: Yes.

Monika Zalneriute: Hi. I don't know but I think if we don't ever support each other on pursuing issues further, I think it's kind of difficult to move any type of agenda any further because we don't trust each other.

I think if Amnesty International has signed it like what else could we expect further? Like Klaus what exactly was your reason for saying we cannot sign, like the main reason?

Klaus Stoll: The main reason for me – it's not the content at all. The reason for me is that the – in my opinion the World Economic Forum is meddling in Internet governance issues, and that this World Economic Forum has nothing to do in that process and should keep its hands out.

And by basically us signing the letter we are giving them - basically giving them indirect recognitions that they should do what they are doing at the moment and interfering in our business.

Monika Zalneriute: I do understand your concerns but I don't know. Tapani what do you say then? What are your views?

Tapani Tarvainen: I can't seem to get the letter open at the moment. Actually I know why because we're not – I'd like to see exactly what we are about to sign.

Rudi Vansnick: Tapani may I? I put my hand up and don't know if you...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes please. Yes please.

Rudi Vansnick: Well I'm joining Klaus in – with regards to our position on this one. We should first have a check with our membership if they have a view on what - the general perception of the membership itself first of all.

And secondly, don't forget the incident that was created with Fadi Chehade with the World Economic Forum. It's going against some of the perceptions that were published from the outside world.

As NCUC members they can individually sign such a document, but as an structure we need to consult our membership before we are agreeing on signing up for what documents or our positions or whatever and that our members doesn't know about. Tapani over to you.

Klaus Stoll: Hello. Is anybody out there?

Rudi Vansnick: Tapani over to you. Hello, hello. We don't hear you.

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes Tapani we lost your sound.

Tapani Tarvainen: Does it work now?

Rudi Vansnick: Yes.

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes we can hear you. Thank you.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay thank you. As - I was saying that yes Rudi you're absolutely right. We should get our members' positions. I note that this was posted in NCUC discuss - at least I think in both NCUC and NCSG discuss.

No it was sent to NPOC discuss and NCUC discuss. Yes that's correct. We should – so as typically with proposal I will repost it on NCSG discuss and ask for members' opinions and then we'll reconsider in our next meeting. Everybody happy with that?

Klaus Stoll: Yes maybe we can openly encourage – and which members to sign. No problem.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay.

Monika Zalneriute: Yes sounds good.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay. Okay I'll do that. Let's move on. Helsinki.

Rudi Vansnick: Hello. Hello. Gone again. Hello?

Tapani Tarvainen: And – okay and trying again. So some strange audio problems. Can you hear me now?

Klaus Stoll: Yes.

Monika Zalneriute: Yes we can.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay so moving to the Helsinki agenda Maryam can we have roll access to that screen or can you roll it – scroll it down a bit so we can be able to see a little more?

Monika Zalneriute: Can we get the – this document as well - some link or not? It's not yet available for us.

Tapani Tarvainen: Should be. Maryam can you get the link? Yes thank you.

Klaus Stoll: Sorry for barging in because I'm only on the phone and I can't see the things on the screen. My question's straightforward. Maybe there's - a most helpful question at this moment is can we actually do something on the Monday or not, and what can we do in which framework?

Tapani Tarvainen: That is a very good question. Looking at the schedule Monday is the outreach day but whether or not we can or should organize something on SG. When I look at the schedule I don't see any of the spot where we could do anything.

Klaus Stoll: Rudi...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: I have not looked at in detail but yes.

Klaus Stoll: ...you were in the SO/AC membership meeting when the program was discussed. What is your opinion?

Rudi Vansnick: Well Klaus, Rudi for the transcript. I have just put up my hand to respond to that because Tapani you wasn't at that meeting. It looks like the GNSO still didn't clear out all the meeting sessions based on the repetition of the PDP Working Groups, the Cross-Community Working Groups and it is today to my view not clear where our meetings are going to fit in.

And based on - perhaps we – it's something we need to get from our Councilors also, some more input on how they think that this is going to roll – be rolled out because in my opinion so far there is in fact nothing we find outside the scope of the policy work.

The message that was given was this B type meeting is essentially focused on doing policy work, and the reason why this Monday outreach day was integrated was essentially due to the fact that ALAC does not really do PDP Working Groups.

And for that reason they had one day that they could shuffle in to be an outreach day. That's the explanation that I've got still to today. But as I said it looks still very difficult to have a view on what is going to happen each day, and where are the PDP Working Group meetings going to take place?

They are not in the schedule today and that makes it difficult to plan our work. Essentially if you're a chair or a co-chair of a working group you cannot really plan your work. That's the input that I have till today.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you Rudi. So are we to conclude that we can't really plan anything even now, or should we try to decide something we want to do and ask for that?

But when I look at the schedule on Monday it's - the GNSO has yes set up space for great - no time set up there. Intercessions, open house sessions – I'm not sure what we could do there. What would we want to do? Not sure about that either.

Klaus Stoll: I mean, Tapani, Klaus for the...

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes Klaus.

Klaus Stoll: What I think we should do is to have a outreach program to finish NGOs explaining what the value of the DMS is, what the relevance of the DMS is for them, what is in that governance and how they could eventually get involved.

It's about explaining basically why all these things which are going on in ICANN and so on have a direct, practical relevance for them, this meaning not explaining how ICANN works, not explaining how anything – what the outreach group is or whatever but explaining the direct relevance of Internet governance and what ICANN, NCSG, NPOC, NCUC is doing for these organizations.

So that will – and as you know I submitted a proposal after the – under the Pathfinder Initiative and label but I think that could be also adapted toward – as a NCSG undertaking involving NPOC and NCUC.

Tapani Tarvainen: Good. Thank you Klaus and you think this – we should do this as an NCSG event?

Klaus Stoll: I...

((Crosstalk))



Tapani Tarvainen: Something like - I see Monika. Yes. Okay I see that Monika is also asking here that we should be – have an evening event or something formal event, good Finnish society/civil society which we have been actually planning for Sunday.

And – or at least some people have been planning I think on it, listening on so something's likely to happen in that past - Monday is the out – official outreach day so we should have something in the – formally in the agenda. And yes, Klaus did you want...?

Rudi Vansnick: Tapani we'll have any clearance on the Sunday because we – to my understanding what the – was told on the SO/AC was that – and then there is no meeting organized by ICANN on Sunday. So that...

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes.

Rudi Vansnick: ...came up too and then nobody knows about the fact that there is a meeting on the Sunday. And it is clear that the facilities are closing at 1800 each day so you have to leave the conference space at 1800 hours.

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes this was about a planned informal event which we won't tell the ICANN anything about this. That was Monika afterward. But our official agenda isn't for Monday and I understand that at least Klaus would want to have an NCSG level event at – B type schedule.

That would be better to do it as NCSG rather than NPOC/NCUC separately but we don't know what is possible. We don't know. Monika do you have any news from NCUC, AC or others there if NCUC is planning something?

Monika Zalneriute: No, not that I would know, not least – because I have no idea of the proper schedule. But as you said the idea would perhaps be mostly to engage with the Finnish civil society both with individuals and NGOs.

But I – I'm – I don't have any more information at this stage but we could perhaps ask if people know any – everybody's very confused I have to say over this new programming so it's difficult to move forward. I – that's a new thing.

Tapani Tarvainen: That it certainly is. Klaus?

Klaus Stoll: Yes and if we are doing an event like this I think we need to do much more work up front with contacting Finnish civil society and getting bums on seat, and not having the usual trickle off people coming through the door there so that the whole thing is also becoming time wise a problem if you now have to wait for another SO/AC meeting or whatever.

So basically I would say that we communicate to ICANN that we would like to have an NCSG-based outreach event to civil society in Finland, and can they tell us here and now and quickly and immediately if there's actually a slot on the Monday for something like that available.

And if there is let's adapt the program and - but also concentrate really on outreach to Finnish civil society organizations.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you Klaus. There's some data points. I can tell that this Finnish Internet Forum, which is effective – the Finnish local IGF next week. And I will be advertising the ICANN event there and that should be a fairly good, efficient, brilliant towards our case – those civil society messages. We're all really interested in this and we have some – yes Rudi.

Rudi Vansnick: There is - tomorrow we have the civil society engagement meeting at 1 o'clock at the care team UTC. And that would be the perfect space to bring the question up again as it should fit in their budget and their space to do this, so we can put that question tomorrow on the table.

Tapani Tarvainen: You said it's tomorrow. Yes.

Rudi Vansnick: Yes.

Tapani Tarvainen: That is a very good suggestion. Let's do that. Maryam can you check the date/time for that? Klaus?

Klaus Stoll: Let – yes let's wait until tomorrow and then on the NCSG discussion list report on the response and move on based on what the response is and what possible, what's not possible.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay so let's see if I get this filled in right that we are going to wait until tomorrow to see what's going to happen in the outreach plans in SO/AC tomorrow.

But we have a general feeling that we would want to have an GNSO/NCSG event on Monday if we can schedule for it somewhere.

Klaus Stoll: Rudi is that something that would be acceptable to you?

Rudi Vansnick: Sorry. I clicked on the wrong button. You hear me now?

Klaus Stoll: Yes.

Rudi Vansnick: Okay.

Klaus Stoll: Yes.

Rudi Vansnick: Yes. Well that's the reason why I said let's try to get it into the civil society engagement plan because they have budgets to do so, and they probably are doing this work for this in the day table defined as outreach and engagement under ALAC.

But also in the first go on Cross-Community meeting room where there is outreach activities and between brackets it's mentioned thousand next gen, but I imagine that there is space to enter into that – in there in the agenda on the Monday the slots of about 75 minutes each.

So I think that that could work within – I will – and at least tomorrow I will insist on having that discussion.

Klaus Stoll: And we are doing it under the NCSG label.

Rudi Vansnick: I think it's the easiest as it – to have to fit in a global Cross-Community concept and we have...

((Crosstalk))

Klaus Stoll: Okay that's going to...

((Crosstalk))

Rudi Vansnick: I think that...

Klaus Stoll: Yes that's fine with me. I just wanted to be absolutely clear on that.

Rudi Vansnick: Yes. No problem.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay so we propose that at some of those Cross-Community meeting events on Monday we would have NCSG presentation there. Is that the idea?

Klaus Stoll: Yes and we – if we get the events then we can start thinking about the program itself and the outreach. But as I said I think we should go away from trying to sell ICANN or NPOC or NCUC and really having a program which is highly relevant and informative and useful for civil society in Finland to actually understand what we are doing and what advantage this all brings and so on and so on.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay thank you. So...

Monika Zalneriute: Tapani...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: ...we want to – checking on moderator. That is also possible but as I said we have a Finnish Internet Forum next week, which isn't finished and that I hope that will attract some to the program.

But we shall ask for a slot for ourselves. How long should we go for that at? Can we take up a whole 75 minutes? Shall we ask it to be in that Cross-Community event? Or there are smaller rooms available. If there are should we get one of those?

Rudi Vansnick: I would say Tapani at least 75 minutes. And I heard from inside that the number of rooms - that's huge and that – that's the reason why it is so restrictive.

That's the information that I got so we should claim at least the full 75 minutes if possible. There are two adjacent sessions each done in the morning and in the afternoon so we can eventually have more time if need be if they allow us.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay do you think we should also ask for a separate NCUC/NPOC sessions or just leave it. That's not another issue we have.

Rudi Vansnick: But we're trying to get our outreach in it. If we get in it then we can organize ourselves. If they're saying yet then we have the ability to see eventually by having it done by the individual constituencies.

But if you don't get it by NCSG I – I'm afraid that there will be none available at that moment so let's go for the second.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay so let's request for having the two sessions of 75 minutes each or asking for that. Can we fill that up? I think we should be able to.

Rudi Vansnick: Let's first try to see – when we say, “Okay can we have an outreach session on the Monday and in the Cross-Community?” if they say yes then we ask for, “What time do you give us? What time slot do you give us?”

And let them react and explain us rather than – and we are asking those questions.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay. And – okay Maryam seems to be already volunteering to ask Tanzanica about this so I guess we can agree on this point. So we'll ask for an NCSG session and how much time and what time we can have, and Maryam will check with Tanzanica, okay? Everybody happy with that? Seems to be. At least Monika is agreeing.

Klaus Stoll: Tomorrow is the outreach meeting.

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes tomorrow is the outreach meeting. We can bring this up there. Of course if Maryam can get some extra information from Tanzanica, in the meantime we can – it will be useful but otherwise let's remember to bring this up tomorrow in the outreach meeting.

And as - Monika is saying that we don't have enough information really to decide anything more do we? It is kind of stupid that we keep having meetings about trying to decide something, which we can't decide because we don't know what's happening but that's the way it seems to be.

Any other suggestions that we should do at this point? So we'll ask for this from Tanzanica and we'll talk about it tomorrow in the outreach meeting.  
Okay.

Klaus Stoll: Then I would...

Tapani Tarvainen: That's the best we can do then. Klaus?

Klaus Stoll: Yes. Then I would suggest that we give everybody 19 minutes of their life back and finish the meeting here.

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes I was going to do exactly that. Welcome and thank you for the suggestion. So we're done. Leave the member applications for another time.  
Thank you very much everybody.

Klaus Stoll: Thank you. Bye-bye.

Tapani Tarvainen: Bye.

END