

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the Finance and Budget subcommittee call on Wednesday the 25<sup>th</sup> of February, 21:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Aziz Hilali, Tijani Ben Jemma, Fatimata Seye Sylla, Wolf Ludwig, Judith Hellerstein, Glenn McKnight, Alan Greenberg, Loris Taylor, Humberto Carrasco, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Oksana Prykhodko.

Apologies noted today from Holly Raiche, Leon Sanchez, Ali AlMeshal.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

I hope I haven't left anyone off of the roll call. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much Gisella. First of all, apologies. I've got a cold and I periodically break out in coughs and things. I'll try to mute my line when I do that.

The purpose of today's call is to try and finalize... We have an echo. If someone would like to mute, it would be really appreciated.

All right, that's much better, thank you. We went through about half of the proposals in Singapore. Took far more time on it than we had expected, and we don't have that luxury today. So the intention is to go

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

through all of the proposals as quickly as possible, and then if we have a bit of time left, we would like to do a little bit of, I won't say prioritization, but provide some guidance to staff, if indeed not everything can be approved.

That doesn't mean we tell them ahead of time not to approve them, but I think we need to understand for ourselves which ones we think are crucial to the operation of ALAC and At-Large, and which ones are something that we want to do, but perhaps this isn't the year we end up doing it.

So with that, Heidi, do you have a record of which ones we went over, or would you prefer going them all blindly, one by one?

HEIDI ULLRICH: For my records, I [inaudible] proposals was the first one to go...

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sorry... There was noise when you were talking.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The captioning proposal was the first one that we discussed in Singapore.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. And has that one changed since then?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe it's been slightly refined. If you want to give Judith one moment to update us?

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Go ahead Judith, you're on.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Yes, we have refined it. We took several different suggestions, both from the Singapore meeting and from the accessibility, and we added in a feature of webinars as well, because there were several different people who really wanted also to capture, encourage more people to engage within webinars. And since also they asked us to strengthen the part that they thought was important for people in, with limited bandwidth, captioning would enable them to participate more as it were provided separate text only stream.

And they would be able to engage much more. And so we edited the proposal to take in those comments and suggestions, and to strengthen that part of the area. So we thank everyone for all of their great input and suggestions.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you Judith. Any comments from anyone else on the committee, or any [inaudible] on this one? Specifically, is there anyone with any concerns that has currently written it should not be submitted, and needs further refinement?

---

Seeing no hands, hearing no voices, I think that means we put it forward as is, and go on to the next one. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The next one, this is Heidi. The next one is the global indigenous proposal. And that one has been significantly revised. Loris is on the call. So if you would like to give Loris just an up journey to give an update.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would, and again, we have someone who needs to mute. Loris?

LORIS TAYLOR: Hi this is Loris Taylor. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes.

LORIS TAYLOR: Okay, great. First of all, thank you for the consideration of the proposal by Native Public Meeting that was submitted prior to Singapore. And as a result, conversations there. There were suggestions to turn that proposal into a more global proposal that would cover more indigenous communities. And so, I could help them with like, [inaudible], and so it's my first day back at [inaudible].

I notice that there is a sentence in there that doesn't even make sense, number one, it says, this proposal creates a global indigenous fellowship, and then it just drops off. But, it really should be the global indigenous fellowship program, and really what it does, this new proposal opens the door for opportunities for indigenous representative on North America, also from other countries, including Australia, New Zealand, and hopefully other indigenous communities around the globe, to participate in the ALAC in particular, but also in ICANN events.

And it's designed to provide a maximum amount of participation through networking, through providing presentations, panels, to talk about broad band in our communities, and perhaps to find strategic ways in how we can help to improve our participation with ICANN. We're also asking for mentors, from the different groups of ICANN, NARALO, ALAC, and [inaudible], to liaise and to really serve as a guide to indigenous representatives, so that our participation is maximized in that way.

We're also, because I don't know much about the other indigenous communities, this is very generic in nature, but we're hoping that this will include some of the upcoming meetings around the globe. In terms of metrics, I didn't put any hard numbers there, but certainly after the first participation, I think we'd like to know how many fellows actually participated in the program, representing indigenous communities and whether we start out with a small number and grow.

Certainly we like to have a whole body of people that can participate. The other is that, you know, we like to watch how many panel presentations are made by Fellows, and what the subjects cover, and

---

---

whether they resonate with the audience that's there. I'd also like to know the number of ICANN mentors that come on board, because a lot of it, these will be the guiding principles, I think, in terms of really connecting with people that are there, who have had the experience, and the knowledge, and the wisdom, of working with ICANN, which is a very complex and often murky in terms of following what happens there, to support the fellow so that the experience is as great as it can be.

One of the returns that we can do as participants, is to blog about our experiences, write articles about our experience, to make sure that we're posting with social media of our connection to ICANN. So this was, in a nutshell, hopefully, addressing some of the recommendations that came out of Singapore, and I thank you for making it much more global in the reach, and certainly welcome any additional recommendations to the proposal.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Loris. I have a couple of questions, and then we'll open it up to the floor. First of all, I think just on an editing note, you're still listing the NARALO meeting as one of the things to attend, and I presumed that since this is now global, that should disappear. That's in the section number two, under type of activity. I presume it is just left over from when it was North American.

LORIS TAYLOR:

Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: Clarification, first of all. You're talking about 15 Fellows. Are you talking about 15 people, each coming to three meetings? Or 15 people cumulative over the three meetings?

LORIS TAYLOR: I'm not sure what the conversation was, since I wasn't in Singapore.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't think we discussed that.

LORIS TAYLOR: Yeah, so 15 was in one of the, I think, email communications that I got, and there was some talk apparently about having five representatives from the North American indigenous communities, and five perhaps, Australian, New Zealand, and another five from other indigenous organizations. So what I did was, because I can't speak on behalf of the other indigenous communities, I thought that perhaps if we just lump that all together and say 15 fellowships will be available and open to participants of the indigenous communities from around the globe, that would be great.

And if we feel [inaudible], then that... And so I don't know if that is per conference, but I just know, I just wrote in 15 spots, and however that divvies up, I think, will depend on how great the interest might be.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. First of all, the proposal needs clarity, saying whether it's 15 times three, or five times three. So, I think you're saying 15 times three at this point. I would suggest that that's probably overreaching by a fair amount. The Fellowship Program itself, until recently, was just about 30 people. So your proposing, as a pilot program, half the size of the current Fellowship Program, which grew over a good number of years, and that's probably something that is overreaching at this point, as an initial pilot program.

I think the Fellowship Program has proven, and our mentorship program, that you do want the same people coming back several times. So I'm not disagreeing with that part, but I think the total number is probably more than we can justify as a pilot program, and that's likely more than we're likely to get funded, but that's perhaps a different issue.

And I had one more question. You seem to be using the term fellows and mentors somewhat interchangeably, and I think the proposal needs some clarity as to that. So I'm not going to try to wordsmith it here, but I think we need to go through it and be careful. We've got some hands up. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Alan. I am coming. Thank you Alan. Tijani speaking. I have several questions about this project. First of all, I noticed that it is under the ALAC label, that means that it would be an ALAC project. I have similar questions. First of all, why we are making this request? Why indigenous people specifically interesting for ALAC?



---

Why not people with handicaps? Why not [inaudible]? Why not women? All of those constituted the [inaudible] community, and I said a lot of times, the stakeholders in ICANN are not the stakeholders in other forum, because I read the application that you speak about, and [inaudible] stakeholder. We are not stakeholder in ICANN at all. So this is, for me this is not [inaudible] if you want to, in the At-Large interest.

At-Large is about users, and everyone is a user. So why we are interested in specific [inaudible] kind of Civil Society people? Second point, 15 people will be too much. All the Fellowship program is under 30 persons. So, I don't know, when you request to be accepted, you have to make an acceptable request, and I think this is not acceptable from the finance department side, but also from my side, At-Large, I don't think this is a project that maybe something that important for ALAC. Every kind of people are important for us, so why trying to focus on these kinds of people? That's my question. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Let's go to the speaker queue, and then we'll come back. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. I'm assuming you can hear me despite my croaky voice. Tijani, I agree with a great deal of what you said. Indeed, I agree a great deal with what Alan has said as well. And it's please note that this is from a card carrying member of the absolute support of increasing engagement for all within ICANN.

So I believe I'm well recognized as working very hard to try and ensure we have broad accessibility, and I mean that for all diversity issues. I also have a particular and recognized interest in increasing indigenous input into all things telecoms, including Internet and ICANN. And so to that end, I'm increasingly supportive of this type of activity. How I want it to succeed, I just don't think it's going to succeed with this particular approach for funding.

And what I would suggest is, perhaps slightly longer in getting it to happen, but nevertheless more likely to succeed path wise, is to note that, as Fellowship has done a great job and has brought an enormous diversity from a number of geographic, socio-political, and ethnic groups into ICANN's activity, we need to extend that to specifically target indigenous populations.

And that's a very good next pilot for the Fellowship program to do. To do that, quite simply, and I've put in simply in inverted commas, need to change some of the rules and requirements within the existing well-funded, well-established, and very comfortable to all of the decision making Fellowship program. So, I fear that this will be rejected because of the size of the grant, 75, the number of people. I would be thinking five to seven, not 15, and I'm big on the mentoring aspect, so let's not lose the value of that.

But I think what we should be doing is trying to ensure that this is a pilot program for Fellowship to take up and run with. I think it will get done faster, I think it will get done more effectively, and I think it would have a greater likelihood of success. And with that, I'm going to put my hand down.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: And Judith, and then I'm putting myself back in the queue.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It's Judith Hellerstein for the record. I think, I always thought, one of the reasons, I think, behind Loris's idea is that, as is currently configured, the Fellowship Program does not allow for indigenous people, who are residents or citizens of developed countries. So Tijani, the reason why I think that was targeted, is that if someone is from an indigenous population, and they happen to live in a developed country, that doesn't mean that they should be excluded from the Fellowship because of that, when they have some of the disadvantages as others who can apply for the Fellows program.

So I think that was one of the reasons that it was targeted when it was originally First Nation, and then it wanted to open up to all indigenous people. So like, in Australia and other places where they may be developed countries, but those indigenous people are not eligible for the Fellowship Program. So I think that's why, Tijani, it wasn't all part, it wasn't disabled, it wasn't women, it wasn't [inaudible], it's just people who are disadvantaged, who are not eligible for the Fellowship Program.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Judith. I guess I would like to make a plea at this point. If something has already said, it doesn't need to be repeated again, just so everyone has an opportunity to say that. Otherwise, this meeting is

---

going to go on for several hours, and I don't think any of us really want that.

I tend to agree with Cheryl that this is not really an ALAC, or this should not have been an ALAC request, this should be coming from the Fellowship to expand the guidelines under which the Fellowship can operate, since no one else is doing it, I'm happy to put it in under our name, but it should be clear that this effectively is an increase in scope of the Fellowship program, with an added mentoring facility, which, to some extent, they haven't done with mentors from outside of the Fellowship program.

So I'm quite happy if we can rework it. I tend to agree with Cheryl, also, well Cheryl agreed with me, that the numbers have to be reduced to make it a real pilot program. We can't be overachievers or we're not going to get funded at all, and that's some danger.

How do we go about...? Loris, you're the one who submitted it originally, at this point, we're on a very, very tight timeline. How do we go about reworking this so everyone on this group is happy to submit it, and we have a good chance of it actually succeeding?

Cheryl says she agrees housing it under the Fellowship. It's clearly not our decision, but that should be the way we're pointing it, and I suspect Janice would not be unhappy with that.

Cheryl, can you work with Loris over the next day or so? I know your schedule is crazy. Is that something...?

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm happy to play with text, if Loris will send it directly to me and so what we can do, that will be fine. I mean, yes, we all understand it does not fit in with the current guidelines. That does not mean that it cannot be cleverly designed to be housed underneath the existing successful outreach program.

ALAN GREENBERG: That is, well, yes. I won't disagree. The current Fellowship Program was looking at OECD, if I remember correctly, low income countries, in under developed countries, that doesn't fit this metric. We are suggesting that it be expanded. All right, Cheryl, I'll leave it with you and Loris to cobble it a little bit better so it's something that we can really push hard for.

I think it's something which has a lot of merit. It is sad that it has to come from the ALAC alone, but given that it isn't coming from anywhere else, I think it's a reasonable thing to do. I'd like to think Heidi... Heidi, a hint to you, I'd like to think that it shouldn't come under our allocation, if there is an allocation for At-Large, but we are submitting it, nonetheless.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi. There is no allocation for At-Large. There is, it will be seen all for within all of the requests that come in.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Let me phrase that another way. When it get announced that it gets approved, it would be nice if it was sitting under Fellowship and not under us.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. One possible result, and again, I'm just thinking what might happen, it says that they see this request is a worthwhile request, and that it might be taken out of the actual fiscal year 16 special request, and put into a normal budget within the Fellows. That might be...

ALAN GREENBERG: I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with that, and I presume you're allowed to talk to Janice offline in the next couple of days.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I am.

ALAN GREENBERG: Hint, hint. Okay, Tijani, you're in the queue.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you Alan. First of all, our summit did make the recommendation about including indigenous people from the north, and the Fellowship Program. This is one of our recommendations of the summit. Second point, I don't think this will fit in the special request of ALAC, or of any other constituency. It is something we have to work

---

with the Fellowship Program people, so that they extend the scope of their program. It will not be funding, it will be including, or considering, special consideration for indigenous people.

So it is not in the special request. And I do agree, and I don't accept that it will be submitted from ALAC as a request. It is not a budget request, it is a request for changing the rules of the Fellowship Program, that's all. And so, Alan don't be, I want to assure you that if we submit it under ALAC, a level, it would be counted as an ALAC project. And let me tell you, if we had a huge number of requests, I am sure they will not give us, the request that we have submitted, they will reduce the number because the number is a huge for this constituency.

They cannot give all the additional budget to ALAC and not to the other constituencies. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Judith, your hand is still up, that's an old one I believe. Is there anyone else that feels strongly that it should not be submitted at all by us?

Okay, I see no one else. Tijani, will you leave it with me and Heidi to work out, and try to finesse this with Janice, so that to the best of our ability it does not, quote, count against us, but on the other hand, it's something we believe that it's really time for it to happen?

As you point out, the ATLAS did make a recommendation similar to this. You're okay with that?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:                   Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG:                   Okay. Thank you. Heidi, what's next?

HEIDI ULLRICH:                    This is Heidi. We have the three RALO GA requests, in alphabetical order. So AFRALO, EURALO, and NARALO.

ALAN GREENBERG:                   Okay, before we go on to that note, there is an AI that Cheryl and Loris will rework this proposal, again, with whatever support they need from you and me.

Sorry. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                    Okay. So the first one is a request for AFRALO for a General Assembly, and let's see, is Aziz on the call? Otherwise, I'm sure, Tijani will be able to discuss that. And it has been slightly revised, I think just more detail onto what the capacity building, and the facilitation skills will be.

ALAN GREENBERG:                   Well, Aziz is on the call, so whoever wants to do it, Aziz or Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:                   Aziz.



ALAN GREENBERG: Mr. Hilali, you have been called upon. Mr. Hilali.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, if he is not ready I can...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. It's simply, it's in Marrakesh in 2015, March 2015. The ICANN 55 meeting will be held there, so we would be [inaudible], excuse my English. And AFRALO is proposing to hold a General Assembly, but not only General Assembly. To be a General Assembly with capacity building, with also with engagement, with skill, how do you say, skill training for meetings, etc.

So it would be a large program, and it is a good opportunity to have this General Assembly there with all those activities. I remind you that our summit, did recommend that yearly General Assembly in the regions is a key issue for At-Large. And since it is in Africa, the cost of travel will be less than if it was west. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Tijani. Comments from the community. The community and participants.

---

---

Everyone comfortable with submitting it and submitting it as is? Tijani, you suggested this is more than a typical General Assembly. How do you believe the costs will compare to the previous one?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: How? Repeat your question please.

ALAN GREENBERG: You've suggested that this is much more than the typical General Assembly. How do you believe the costs will compare to typical General Assemblies?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It should be the same cost. It is only more activities, more things inside.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Heidi, do you have any problems with that as is?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. My concern is that if we do bring in inside learning, it will not be the same cost, unless there is sponsorship.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, you are right. Yes, I am sorry. We have to add the cost of the skill training.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. And that presumably has to be in two languages.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, everything in AFRALO is in two languages, because in AFRALO we have people that don't speak English at all, and others that don't speak French at all.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. Tijani, I wasn't asking you to justify it. The question is, can we do that with simultaneous interpretation, or do parallel sessions? Training with interpretation may not be the most effective thing. That's why I'm asking. So it may well require double sets of trainers. Or maybe, I don't know. I'm raising the question. Yes Heidi, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: One possibility, I know that Insight Learning has consultants all over the world, so it might be that they get either two speakers, or presenters, or facilitators from Africa, one English speaking, one French speaking, perhaps one dual language, that could do the actual facilitation skills training itself at different times during the week.

So it basically will be one person. I mean, that would be ideal, I don't know if...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. So one person, but we'll have to find double the slots.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, we would look for that. Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I'm happy with it as it is. Heidi, I'll leave it up to you and our AFRALO contingent if you feel it needs any minor changes before submitting, but I don't have any conceptual things wrong with it at this point. Anyone else, last comments on it? Going, going, gone. Next Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The EURALO GA.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Who do we have from EURALO?

HEIDI ULLRICH: We have Wolf on the call, with a very slight revision. Cost effective slight revision. And Alan...

WOLF LUDWIG: Can you hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes we can, go ahead.

---

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. Thanks Alan. It's Wolf Ludwig for the record. Yes, we have submitted this request some weeks ago already. We have shortly discussed it in Singapore, and in between I made some small modifications regarding a training element for our members. And at the beginning, I'm also a little bit hesitant about this training component, regarding the costs, that it may increase the cost for this request.

If we would rely on external subject matter experts. But thinking about it, I thought we had a lot of old hands at EURALO, like [inaudible], Sebastien Bachollet, like Olivier Crépin-Leblond, like [inaudible], etc. And those people could be used in such a training element and subject matter expert, what would actually not increase the costs for this request.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you.

WOLF LUDWIG: So I hope this modification maybe now better, and fit into the criteria.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Wolf. Any other comments on it? Seeing no hands.

WOLF LUDWIG: I have a hand.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: You have a hand.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah, yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: I see Judith's hand, oh now yours has come up. Tijani go ahead anyway and then we'll go to Judith.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. Thank you. Wolf, I am afraid the alignment with the strategic priorities is not well worded in your application. So I advise you to put to which strategic priority of ICANN this project can be put in. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Wolf, you may want to look at Tijani's submission, copy that if he thinks yours isn't good enough. Sorry. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. My question is, on, I don't understand what you're talking about with the subject matter experts. You mean they're going to be leading the discussions for your General Assembly? Or, I just wasn't clear what that part is all about.

---

WOLF LUDWIG: [Inaudible]. It's Wolf Ludwig, again, for the record. I try to answer to Judith's question. Well, there are actually two elements. One is the General Assembly itself, it's General Assembly, and the training element, particularly for newcomers and people who are not yet familiar with ICANN's functioning working methods, etc.

And therefore it was the idea of offering a training element, particularly for those people and offered old hands at EURALO, who know, more or less, ICANN by heart over the years. Does this answer your question?

ALAN GREENBERG: Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, I guess it does. I guess my thought is, so do you want something like a little ATLAS forum discussion for the members on issues? Is that what you're looking at in the training, or is it some other kind of training?

ALAN GREENBERG: May I interject? Wolf, if I may interject first. I think Judith has identified a potential problem in that you say you need training, you say there are subject matter experts, which is the title, but I don't think anywhere you're saying what the training on. So, you know, I look at Olivier and say he may be training on ICANN, or he may be training on IPv6. And I'm not quite sure where you're focusing.

---

So I think you need at least a sentence saying what you are providing training on.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Well, we discussed... It's Wolf Ludwig for the record again. We discussed this yesterday evening at our monthly EURALO call. And then the idea that came up, perhaps we could combine with ICANN leadership program, or immediately afterwards. But if, as you know, for incoming new people with ICANN functions to offer specific introduction.

And I have difficulty to access, at the moment, how many people at EURALO would really need such training programs, so my initial request was for the face to face General Assembly and was for EURALO community building, and the training element came in afterwards. And now we have to define what would be the best concepts for a training combined in the General Assembly.

There is a lot of knowledge in the region to offer such training components, and at the moment, it's still rather unclear to me how much need would be, and for how many participants, because I'm quite certain all of our members would really need such a training.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Thank you. I would just suggest you add a sentence saying, "The detailed planning will be..." You know, the details will be working out when the GA detailed planning is done, but here are some examples of the kind of training we might do, and you've already listed them:



---

facilitation, training about ICANN, whatever. Just give some examples, you're not being committed to them, but just so people have some idea of what it is you're looking at.

WOLF LUDWIG: Right.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Judith, is that a new hand or an old one?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I just got the answer.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. All right, Heidi, the next one is, I'm guessing, NARALO?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: NARALO General Assembly. Who would like to be presenting that? We did go over it in some detail in Singapore. Has there been any substantive changes? [CROSSTALK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: ...on the call. Glenn?

ALAN GREENBERG: Glenn...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It's Judith. Glenn was going to talk on it, but I guess he's trying to get off mute.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hello, it's Glenn here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, we can hear you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. A couple of things. Yes, to answer your question, there has been no update since it was originally submitted. We had quite a discussion. [Inaudible] into [Jenny's] sessions and comments and their GA, many of the same issues, or [inaudible] this one. I think there is some good content in here in terms of the workshop and the training type of topic that could be invaluable to yourself Wolf, and to [Jenny].

It's consistent to the new philosophy that we're trying to advocate, rather than outreach, we're trying to do capacity building and in reach for NARALO. So we're doing this consistent with our efforts to reach out to our RIR, that's why we have an agreement with ARIN. What we have is, we're doing this prior to ARIN, and then we're inviting our

---

representatives from the ALSs to attend an ARIN session in Montreal as well.

So this is the first one we're having since the Mexico event, so it's again, it's a capacity building exercise. I can't really say much else about it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Any other comments on this? We did talk about it extensively in Singapore, and I think there was pretty widespread support for it. No comments? No objections going forward?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I have one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: The same remark, and the section with the alignment strategic priorities, you have to pick one or two strategic priorities, and say this is where it aligned with the strategic priorities. You are given, what are the outputs you want? What are the results? But you have to say which of the priorities, strategic priorities, this will match with? Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, would you like to tell us which one you used so we all know the answer?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I don't have this. I will read it on my application. I think it was the first, or the fourth, I don't remember very well, but a moment. I have to go to my application and tell you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, this is Heidi. I'm actually in your application and it's 1.1, and I'll put it into the chat.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Exactly, that's it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It's Glenn. Tijani has got a very valid point. We've got to justify why we're doing this, and it should be aligned with the core objectives. So it's a good point Tijani.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. And the wording that Heidi has just put in the chat is pretty well exactly what we're doing. So I think we've all given you the boiler plate to fix your respective proposals.

---

I realize I did not, on the EURALO, as for any comments or any objections. So we're going to go back to that one, I'm assuming there were not any, but just be formal about it. No objections...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I have another question for Glenn. Sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: Not fair, we gave you another opportunity. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Sorry. Where this General Assembly will be, will be organized?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It will be in Montreal, in Quebec.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, so it's not with an ICANN meeting.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's prior to the ICANN meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: And immediately prior to the ARIN meeting.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Correct.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right, hearing no objections. Heidi, what do you have next?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, Alan, just to clarify for both EURALO and NARALO, their requests for GAs are approved with slight revisions, is that correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: That is correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. So the next one, and the final one that was discussed in Singapore, is the pilot project on onsite capacity building and engagement, and that is an ALAC proposal submitted by Tijani on behalf of the ALAC.

ALAN GREENBERG: And just for clarity, on the AI, the slight revisions are to be done by the original proposers from NARALO and EURALO.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, actually Wolf and I have already agreed that I would make those slight changes to the EURALO one, and Glenn has just said that I could do basically, it would take me minutes to do that, so I'm happy to do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: In that case, if you agree to be their secretary, I would allow you to do it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Executive. Executive secretary.

ALAN GREENBERG: Executive secretary, fine. [Laughter] You can have whatever title you like, I don't mind, as long as it's not...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm way past that...

ALAN GREENBERG: As long as it's not Chair of ALAC, I don't mind what your title is. [Laughter] And there are days where I would like you to take that one too.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So again, we have the next one, this is Tijani's that he can speak to.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay, thank you Heidi. So this is a pilot program. It is a program for capacity building and engagement of our At-Large community, in their regions. And I'm thinking about this program, especially for the regions that are the less served. I mean, regions like, for example, small islands in Pacific. Regions like, sub-regions in Africa, who are very poor and very badly connected, etc.

For example, the Caribbean, since they are small countries, and it is difficult to reach them, and... For example, ICANN never go there, because they are small countries, so this is the idea. And this is to build capacity and also to engage with the ccTLD community onsite. That means that, for example, the [inaudible] sub region, and even reason for what I just mentioned.

The countries, the few countries can send representative of each ALS in those countries, to this training, to this capacity building and engagement effort. And this will be done onsite, because it is less expensive, and the result will be better because you will go there, they will see you, they will work with you, and I think they will engage better with you.

If you go at home, in their home, and you work with them onsite. And also, it is more effective to make links with the ccTLDs onsite, so this is the idea of the pilot program. If this pilot program succeeds, we can generalize it later. This is the presentation. Thank you.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. How many different workshops of this kind are you proposing?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: We are talking about the pilot program, so it is one operation. We will do one operation.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, just one. You're not looking at one in Africa, one in the Caribbean, or something like that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, we will do one pilot, and if it is good, we can dedicate it outside.

ALAN GREENBERG: Excellent, okay. Any comments on this? No comment.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes? Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I was waiting for any community member or FBSC member to raise their hand. I have discussed this with GSE team, and they were really quite interested in this. And so Tijani, I'm aware that you did add

---

a GSE note that the program can be working with the GSE team. So I think, I just wanted to point that out, that might be a way for further collaboration between the ALAC and the GSE.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

May I add something? All this kind of operation cannot be done without the collaboration with GSE, because we will work with the vice presidents, with the team of the region. This is the way to succeed the operation, there are onsite. They can give us the good advice. We can help us onsite etc.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Tijani. Cheryl, you have your hand up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. Yes, I think the, Cheryl for the record. I think the linkage with GSE and vice president of regional operations is essential here, and I think we can possibly also benefit by noting the existing work being done as underserved operational areas within the industry sector. In other words, there is a program currently going on, and worth being done in a number of regions, which is looking at fostering and improving the possibilities of having registry and registrar operations in underserved areas, which I think will fit fairly closely with the areas focused on this proposed programs.

If that is the case, it seems to me like that is another good collaborative point, for the global vice presidents to exploit, so they could gather together in a physical, sub regional location, a cross-section of ICANN

stakeholder interests. And a pilot like this could fit into any one of those activities.

And I know you say it will be a single operation, Tijani, but it is quite possible, and a number of the vice presidents, may want to take this up and run with it. So it is possible with the right sort of leverage, that this program could be an off the shelf design that is then able to be run, is as a pilot, not only a single location, but perhaps across two or three of the regions, that have clearly identified underserved sectors, and I think that would be absolutely fantastic outcome.

But I do think, very close cooperation with GSE, and to be honest, it's one of those, I would see, Asia Pacific, in particular being interested in, not only because [inaudible] issues, and the underserved aspects across the board of things there are ICANN and ICT based, but also because our [inaudible] has already focused specifically and quite successfully at working with At-Large community members and ALSs in some of their other programs.

I think we certainly could look to starting it off in AC, but perhaps not limiting it to AC. And maybe a small tweak in the actual application might pick up on some of those points. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Cheryl. From now on, I'm never going to give the microphone when I have something to say. [Laughter] But I'll try to say it a different way, and I'll be more prescriptive than you were. Right now, GSE is mentioned as an afterthought in reference to GSE trainers. I would suggest that takes somewhere in the lead sentence, and that we

---

---

are requesting this in cooperation, or with the support of GSE staff, and the region, GSE and regional staff.

So I think we make that really part of the formal proposal. Second of all, in the description, on the activities, it says it's a pilot activity. It doesn't say that in title, and I think you might want to put that in the title. And thirdly, under section three, under the request description. I would do something akin to what Cheryl just say. Say this is a one time, the ALAC is requesting a onetime pilot activity, but should there be sufficient other interests within GSE or other parts of ICANN, we are willing to do more than one in this fiscal year, in different regions.

Cheryl, does that sort of map to what you were saying?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yup, that's fine.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you Alan. Thank you Cheryl, especially for the idea of including the DNS industry in the underserved regions. This is another thing that we can create in the region between the At-Large community, and we said in the ccNSO, ccTLD community, but now also with the whole DNS industry in the region, if it exists. And if it doesn't exist to help with the regional vice president and regional team, to help in improving the possibility to have this industry in those regions.

---

So I really appreciate this addition, and I will change the text as you said. I think it's a great idea now.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Glenn, there is some chat about Indian country, and I'm not quite sure whether it's in reference to this project or something else.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Since this discussion happened about underserved areas, as you know, the Foreign Order in Canada, as well as broadband issues in Native country, it's the same sort of issues of underserved areas. So I'm just sharing these resources.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, so thank you. I think in this one, I think the original target was areas where we do have ALSs, but they are, they're really disadvantaged because ICANN never comes there, and they tend to be in underserved areas to begin with. We wouldn't want to expand this too much in that direction right now, but thanks for the references.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Alan, let me, since I got the mic. There is just one area of the 10 US territories, the Marshall Islands, the American Samoa, Guam, all of that area, is, we do not have any ALSs at all through that whole area. I'm not sure how we can outreach to those areas, but it's an example of an underserved area in the NARALO detachment.

---

It's probably better served with APRALO, but for right now, just so everybody knows, we've reached out to those communities, and without any success.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Do recall that we're in the process of looking at what ALS criteria should be and expectations. Underserved alone is not a reason alone for having an ALS there, if they don't have any interest are aren't likely to have any interest, in what ICANN is doing. And what we're doing on behalf of ICANN.

So we have to be really careful not to mix the two. You know, we are not a generalized Internet outreach group. So as tempting as it is, I think we have to be careful. All right. We're into...

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, actually Alan, I just realized, this is Heidi, that I forgot to mention, we did mention, and during Singapore, we did mention the E-book proposal, which I will put into the chat right now. That is Glenn McKnight.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, we're not finished yet...

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: I know, but I had said earlier that this was, the last one was the last of those that were discussed in Singapore, but in the meantime, I had realized that that was incorrect.

ALAN GREENBERG: I missed that. Okay, E-books, very quickly. I think it was well received. There were some suggestions made. If we can have a quick summary and then go on to the ones we haven't discussed at all, because we are going to run out of time at this rate. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I haven't really no updates because I thought communications was going to get back to me. That was the action item that was left with some changes. My original idea was the pilot focused on the training material. So as of yet, I have not talked to anyone from communication, so I have no other modifications to the standing proposal.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. From my perspective, I'm happy to have it as just E-books. I think that's a good pilot. Yes, there are clearly other media types we can incorporate later, but I'm certainly not. I don't object to it. Any other comments? Heidi, you have your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, hi, this is Heidi. I was in touch with communications, who thought it was a good proposal. And I also reached out to Jeff Dunn who does

---

the ICANN learn for ICANN. And he came back very excited that this would be something that he could work with you on, or even if it wasn't accepted, something that we can work together with Glenn, or other members of the At-Large community, to make courses online, interactive courses on the ICANN Learn, which is that online learning platform.

So I don't know if you wanted to add that this might, you know, work with ICANN Learn, in the proposal itself, or just see where it goes, and we'll come back to that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, it's natural, [inaudible] the fact that when I met with that staff, back in LA, I gave them actual copies of the E-book that I produced. So it was something that I've been talking to for over six months on this issue. So I'm glad to see that they're listening.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, okay. So did you want to make any changes to that Glenn, and just add that this could be something that you could work in collaboration with ICANN Learn, or leave it as is?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

It's either/or. It really doesn't matter because it's a pilot, and if we start with training materials, it's definitely would be useful right across the board.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: I would suggest ICANN Learn slash The Academy.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's right.

ALAN GREENBERG: But other than that reference, I would keep the scope narrow.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: No objections? We go ahead. There is one more AFRALO presentation, or request, that I would like to hold that one until after we do the ALAC ones, because it's somewhat related to one of the ALAC ones. All right. Let us start at the beginning. The first one of the ALAC ones we haven't talked about yet is a request for a, Heidi, is that title right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's, yes, the first one is the...

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry. Okay. The first one is a request, essentially to expand the meeting for the next two meetings, which is the Dublin meeting and the Marrakesh one, which is an A class meeting, which is essentially the current ICANN week, to add a Saturday to it, giving us a full day for real, substantive discussions without interruptions, without people having

---

other commitments to a large extent, although there are clearly still some.

And essentially buying back the time that we lost when the week was collapsed with half of Thursday disappearing, and to address the issue that we are looking at far more substantive policy issues, we have process issues that are going to require, hopefully, some substantive discussion, and we hope by Dublin we'll be able to be finishing, and put the final touches on new ALS criteria and its expectations, if not before.

So this essentially says give us the Saturday, we're requesting it for the ALAC and RALO leaders, conceivably if they approve it but without sufficient funding, we could make it just ALAC, but that's not, certainly that's not something that we want to ask for. The request is outlined right now.

Heidi and I put it together yesterday. We're really pushing for time. It does need some cleanup, so it's not finished yet, but I would like to have any substantive discussion on. Is this something that anyone does explicitly not support? And if so, why? And we go forward.

I will point out there is something we have not addressed yet, that if the ALAC does meet on Saturday, we have a problem on that traditionally the ALAC leadership team meets prior to the first ALAC meeting. That would push that into Friday, but Friday already has a conflict for me. And so that's somewhat problematic that we have not addressed, but at this point, the ALT will somehow figure out how to go forward.

---

It's more important for the ALAC to be given, the ALAC regional leaders to be given sufficient time to really look at issues of importance. So any comments? Heidi is up, but I don't know if it's an old one or a new one.

Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, that was an old one.

ALAN GREENBERG: An old one, okay. Some day it will go down. Glenn says he supports it. No one else has any comments, then we clean it up and put it through. It's going to be a moderately expensive one. It will count against others to the extent that there was a limited allocation, as Heidi says there isn't and Tijani says there is. We won't debate that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, there is not one for At-Large.

ALAN GREENBERG: No I understand. Nevertheless, we can't disagree.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I said in practical, it cannot be all the 500,000 dollars allocated to At-Large.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I disagree, so I think it should be.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I agree with you...

ALAN GREENBERG: All right...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Who is to clean that up? Will you do that?

ALAN GREENBERG: You and I will do that. And I know you said you're taking tomorrow off.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I will have a pass at it tomorrow, and then who knows what you're going to do on Friday. I think today is only Wednesday, is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It is. And actually we have all day Saturday as well, just so you know. We have another ICANN working day, which is Saturday. So that's fine.

ALAN GREENBERG: And the other ICANN share working day which is Sunday. All right. Next.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, Alan. It's the development session for the AGM, for the ALAC. Which I'll put in for.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was trying to find it. All right. This one is essentially, although we're not allowed to call it this, this is a community building exercise to essentially take the new ALAC, after the annual general meeting, and try to form it into a cohesive group, so that when we send people off to the next four months, or whatever the number, amount of time is, they are familiar with each, they're comfortable with each other, and can work as a group.

Right now, we have a real problem, that especially for new people coming in, they tend to be pretty silent during the ALAC meeting, during the week meeting that they're there. And then we send them off and expect them to be full-fledged members of the group, participating. And to a large extent it doesn't work.

---

And this is an attempt to try to build the group as a whole, so part of it is perhaps some training, part is just exercises in working together and getting to know each other as people. It doesn't sound like a professional activity, but any of you who have ever participated in this kind of thing in other environments, probably can report back that it's a very effective way of getting people to work with each other. Comments?

It would include a component of external facilitation, people who know how to make this kind of thing work. Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Absolutely supportive of the concept. It works in other forums, including certainly to the last couple of meetings, as in General Assembly, AGM meetings, a GNSO development day, or even a half day helps. That certainly a whole day would be worthwhile. It is possible to do it in a half day, can I just say, if we get pushback on this.

I don't think we should be unwilling to make some compromise, but it would have to be the half day on the Friday, following the normal ALAC anyway. But the [inaudible] has certain social interaction involved again, because you can't just train people, you do have to, even if it's at their own expense, let them raise a glass of something and break it themselves.

It really does make a big difference. So I'm totally supportive of the concept. I think we need to be smart about how it's done. I think we need to recognize that other groups are doing the same thing in parallel, in probably almost the same place, and space, and time.

---

But that may in fact be an advantage if we use the same facilitators across a couple of groups. So we might actually pitch a cost benefit of ICANN, making sure that good facilitation and training is across all of the groups. It might be starting with one group in the morning and doing the other in the afternoon. But it certainly has my absolute support. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. And again, we have a problem of how do we fit this new proposed activity in with an ALT activity which already exists on Friday. And has proven exceedingly effective, especially in the meetings with senior ICANN management. So I wouldn't want to give that up completely, and that probably argues to this being perhaps a half day or two thirds of a day, and forcing the ALT to meet in the less attractive hours of that day, perhaps, and keeping both activities.

So I agree. Heidi and I also had similar discussion, that it could be a half day under duress. The days you're making a half day, some people will opt out of it, and just decide to go home. So something to think about it. But Tijani, you had a comment.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you. Tijani speaking. When we say 10 people we have to say 10 people, because the five ALT members meet on Friday. So they are already counted, so we have to put only 10 people added to them, to make the ALAC group. And this will give our request more chance to succeed. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Good point. You know, I would be tempted to say we do the ALT meeting on Saturday, but I think access to the right people is not going to be there, so I don't think we have a choice but to somehow squeeze in a second day, and I don't suspect the other, most of the rest of the ALAC will really object to saying we don't start until 10:00 or 10:30.

I certainly wouldn't in their case.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, sorry I didn't raise my hand, but just a quick question. Would this also include the liaisons, and if they are any new ones, incoming?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes it should.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's not added to that, so I'll note that.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: We don't tend to have a lot of turnover in liaisons most of the time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually Alan, it wouldn't even be incoming, it would be basically be people that are currently there, and part of the ALAC...

ALAN GREENBERG: That's right. Sorry, you're right. My comment was irrelevant.

Next project. Next one we have is being described as a high level town hall meeting at the 2015 IGF. If we could bring that one up.

And Judith has her hand up. Go ahead Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. My question here is, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Relates to several of these proposals that are in the RALO area, and they relate to the idea of the criteria, when we were told, as a new member I studied the roles and relations, and we also looked at the criteria that it can't be outreached, and all outreach are CROPP.

And so there is a number of these proposals that, to me, seem very similar to outreach and CROPP. And I don't understand whether the criteria are not definitive as I thought they were, or what role they play when we have so many of these proposals that are coming out with that.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'll try to answer that. Some of them, and this IGF one, I suspect has the word outreach in it, but it's not being looked at as RALO type of outreach. It's outreach for ICANN itself, and that was certainly something we were not looking for in RALO proposals. On the other hand, if outreach is a reasonable part of the activity or planning, you know, without adding a lot of cost or complexity to it, then we're not going to stop anyone from doing outreach at the same time.

But the intent should be that the proposal is not outreach, and outreach in the classic ICANN sense of marketing, as opposed to what people are calling engagement or in-reach of groups that are already part of it.

So I don't think that we have a lot that are outreach in that sense. Certainly, you know, if you can identify where it is...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Well, I think a lot of the, this is Judith Hellerstein again. A lot, this one seems to be sort of an outreach effort, and several of the RALO proposals that are out there seem to be outreach, or something that CROPP was meant to be put on, to why the whole CROPP program was setup. And that seems to be also where there is a lot of the RALOs are picking outside of their region, it's still outreach in general.

So I just didn't understand, if we're not following the criteria, what the purpose of the criteria are.

ALAN GREENBERG:

That's why I'm asking for comment as we go along Judith. And so if there any that you should have commented on, please let us know, but

---

we're running out of time right now. But the intent was, that's why you're here, is to comment on these things. So this one certainly may have had a component about outreach, but it's a different class of outreach than the CROPP program.

It certainly is not something that the CROPP program would be eligible for, because of the fact that the CROPP program is only within your region, the fact that it is a limited number of days. So this clearly doesn't fall under CROPP. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Alan. Judith, what we call outreach, what the CROPP call outreach, is more less a synonym to recruitment of new ALSs, more or less. And that's why you see, as metrics at the end, as [inaudible] what did you reach? What did you get? So this is another kind and I don't think it's something we can fund from the CROPP program. It is more marketing for ICANN, marketing for community of ICANN, then outreach. It is more open discussion or, if you want, discuss important issues that are more or less related to the IGF, but they are also part of the ICANN concern. That's it. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, certainly this one is not, there is no conflict with CROPP, so I would like to focus on this one for the moment and come back to your general issue, if you wish, later on. The ICANN, there have been traditionally RALO sponsored sessions at some IGF meetings. This one we're looking at is not RALO specific and not focused on the RALO.

---

It's focusing on one of the main themes of this IGF meeting, that is enhancing multistakeholder cooperation, and the intent would be to put on a, largely a presentation on what we have learned in ICANN over the last couple of years. ICANN has evolved in terms of cooperation between the stakeholders very, very significantly over the last several years. And I think there is something that can be learned from it.

I believe we could also get involvement from GAC members, and Board members, and perhaps GNSO members, who will be at this meeting, and make it not a [inaudible] presentation, but an ICANN presentation. That's going to be presuming... Heidi, I don't want to say you've already socialized this, and my understanding is if we do it on the, as the day before ICANN, the IGF, that we don't have to get approval from the MAG, but we are restricted only one for ICANN. Do I remember you saying that correctly?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Repeat please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, are you there?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello Alan, this is Silvia. Heidi has had to step away for just a minute.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi had to step away. We'll come back to that in a minute then. The intent certainly is to get involvement from other parts of ICANN, not just ALAC.

And...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, Alan, I'm back. I didn't quite get that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, my recollection is, I think you said that if we had this before this formal ICANN meeting, then we do not need MAG approval, but ICANN only can get one. Do I remember that correctly?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Yes, I actually, yes, you're talking about [inaudible] one, yes sorry. Yes. So that's why it would be really good... And I think that's what happened in the past, that's what I've heard. That ICANN was only able to get one. So, it would be useful that if you collaborated with the GSE team, who coordinates those sorts of things for the IGF.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Then I ask that you alert them to this, and find out if this conflicts with something they're also planning?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I can do that. I'll do that today.

ALAN GREENBERG: Please. We are asking for six people, that maybe overreach, but I think that is not an unreasonable request. And we'll see where it actually comes from. Now, Tijani, do you want to talk about what day this is on? Is it day zero? Or are we're talking about [CROSSTALK] ...the IGF meeting itself?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Alan. I think that we need to begin now to negotiate with the secretary of the IGF. If it is possible to pick it up on the first day of the IGF. I know that there is a lot of public forums, a lot of collations, etc. that can have a slot on these days. So it is possible, it is better to put it on a day of the IGF, rather than day zero, because day zero, you don't have everyone already come to the conference.

So if it is possible, include it in the program, during the three days of the IGF, otherwise day zero.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. So we need to modify this proposal to say that we are looking for something preferably during the IGF, but conceivably day zero. Remember, this is the ICANN proposal, we have another month to get something into the IGF. Although this month is going to be rather busy. I think I have the dates right, so I think we need at least a modification saying we're flexible on the timing.

The proposal is quite easily put together, and no one, I don't believe, has had a chance to look at it, and I would appreciate input over the

---

---

next, no more than 24 hours, in terms of what does it need, how does it need to be changed? What does it need to be done to make it more [inaudible], or to actually make it more effective?

Any other comments? Okay. Next one on our list is the indigenous persons one, we did that. Onsite capacity building. Adobe Connect captioning and E-books. We've done them all. The only ones we've missed at this point is the AFRALO IGF and the APRALO IGF. Tijani, would you like to go first?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, sorry. There is one more, sorry. There is the LACRAO outreach and engagement activity [inaudible] forum.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Do we have someone to present that one? I would like to do that one and then do the IGF one together.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Humberto is on the call.

ALAN GREENBERG: We are at the 90 minute mark. I hope that everyone can stay for a little while longer. Humberto?

---

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, I'm here. Sorry. I'm going to explain the project. This is an activity which is a part of congress, which is called a telecom [inaudible]. This is going to be developing, sorry, it's going to be hosted in Brazil. And I'm, actually this was an idea from one of the LACRALO members. We were working together.

It's supposed, it's two days, but we were thinking to have only half a day to ICANN issues. This is, the idea is to try to deal with Internet governance issues, to have maybe between one and three speakers in order to frame the attendance. And we are thinking to, we were thinking that the participant of this meeting are mainly LACRALO members, but also that is one of the reasons, because we want to engage people to go there.

The metrics that we are going to use mainly are mainly related to [inaudible], and but we didn't have enough time to devote to metrics. We put some numbers, but we have been updating the information. Generally speaking, we can say because this is going to be a two day event, and we are going to use all of the [inaudible]..

Provide all the 35% of the budget of the event, because mainly we should have translation in Portuguese, Spanish, and English. This is the in general, the project. Any questions?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, I have with regard to what Judith raised, and her hand is up also. You've titled it outreach, it sounds like outreach is not really the focus though.



HUMBERTO CARRASCO: No, no, sorry. Yes, it sounds like outreach, but it's not outreach. If you read the proposal, we write in the deliverables, that we want engagement.

ALAN GREENBERG: Than I would suggest that we change the title.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay. I think that is because we were working, in the last three days before the deadline.

[CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: ...we're all doing that.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yeah, I can relate. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. Because I agree with you. As I'm listening to you speak, I didn't hear a lot of outreach, i.e. marketing, from an ICANN point of view of finding ALSs, but it does sound like an interesting session.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: No, no, no. Actually we don't...

ALAN GREENBERG: Humberto, we're agreeing with each other.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay, that's fine. It's okay. We have been working in order to get input, the proposal, because we know if we're going to be successful, we have to do it. And we are concerned about the course, of course, we want to do something affordable from ICANN perspective.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you. Any comments on it? Statements of support, statements that you hate it? Nobody?

I guess we go ahead. [CROSSTALK] Thank you. We're down now to the two IGF RALO requested sessions. And Tijani, would you like to go ahead? I presume you're presenting this one.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you Alan. Tijani speaking. So AFRALO plan to organize a workshop, assuming that the MAG accepted, it will be about how the ICANN multistakeholder model will evolve in light of the new accountability mechanisms and the consideration today. I think this is an important subject that will be very well attended. I don't have any problem about the fact that this is a controversial or not, the more the

---

---

discussion is had, if you want, the better it is because you will have more participants.

You will have a better conversation and better debate. So this is why this subject was brought, and was proposed, as a subject of a workshop in the IGF 2015. That's all.

ALAN GREENBERG: Comments, questions?

Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. I'm a little confused about what part of the ICANN strategic plan this is targeting, that has not been targeted by another project.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It is under application. It is specific [inaudible]... It is written in the project, in the [inaudible]...

ALAN GREENBERG: Gisella or whoever, can you leave scrolling on so we can scroll the document? Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It is the fourth item strategic objective, promote ICANN's role and multistakeholder approach, and 4.1, it is [inaudible] engagement with

---

the existing Internet governance ecosystem at national, regional, and international levels.

ALAN GREENBERG: Judith, does that answer your question?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I see that, I just don't, I think... I just think the IGF works also without, we haven't had a... Alan, as you said before, we don't have a good track record of giving our workshops accepted by the MAG. And I think using few, so many special requests for these things, when we're not 100% sure we can get it, is not necessarily a worthwhile endeavor on our part, even though it looks like a really interesting workshop.

ALAN GREENBERG: For the record Judith, last time we didn't have any accepted. In the past we have. Now that may be a start of a trend, I can't, but one thing does not make a trend.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: For information, AFRALO had four workshops accepted. Two of them were main session feeders.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, the point that Judith has raised, which may be relevant, is are we, by having several presentations, related to multistakeholderism in ICANN, are we competing with each other?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I don't think so. It's not the same topic at all. I am talking about the, let me read from my application, it's better. So, it is about the multistakeholder model, how we can evolve in light of the accountability mechanisms and the consideration. But you are speaking about the cooperation, multistakeholder cooperation, and what is, you try to see how, yes, you're asking almost on the same thing.

But it is different, it is not a workshop. You don't have a workshop.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's true.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's another activity.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we don't have a workshop. I guess the thing is, we, I thought we are trying to really make sure that what we put forward will be accepted as a special request, and maybe, I don't know, maybe this is not. Maybe this is for next year, or something, or better ranking of which project we think may be successful. I don't know.

ALAN GREENBERG: That point may well have merit, that it's not only a question of IGF acceptance but ICANN funding both of them. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Workshops are very helpful at IGF. They are the things that the events and so on, that actually bring a lot of people and get people to engage in the organization. So I would really support this. The concern I have here is that it's very ICANN specific. How the ICANN multistakeholder model will evolve.

And I'm just hoping that we'll be able to get that workshop at the MAG. And I have a question actually. Based on the overall theme of the IGF this year, does this workshop have a high chance of being allowed by the MAG? Do we have any initial feedback about this?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: May I answer your question? Yes, we cannot have any feedback now, since the assessment didn't start. And we know the criteria of evaluation, and this has every chance to be accepted, except if there are others, because last year, the criteria that made our workshop fail was, they were looking for new applicants, new applicants.

So they said for the same quality for the new applicants. This is what the MAG people told me, because the MAG didn't give the reason. They said, "You had a very good workshop, but unfortunately, we have only a certain number of workshops, so we cannot accept it." But people inside the MAG, who are ICANN members, by the way, told me that. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: And of course, we don't know this year they will be favoring new applicants over ones that have been there before.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I don't know.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any other comments? We have one more to go, and we're at the hour and 45 minute mark.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Alan, what is the result of that? Submit it as is?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think so. I mean, obviously, there are two hurdles. ICANN has to fund it, and the MAG has to approve it, either of which could fail. We have no control over the latter certainly. Now, I did want to look at prioritization, we do have to talk about that for at least two or three minutes, once we finish going over the proposals. We have one more from APRALO.

Cheryl, are you in a position to talk about it, being the only APRALO person...?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm really not familiar with it, but if we go through it on the screen, I can do my best.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. If we can get it on the screen with scrolling please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Or you can talk about the AFRALO proposal, if you would like.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I could talk about the AFRALO proposal, I have no problem with the AFRALO proposal. That's not an issue. I'm not saying, when I first, many years ago, when I was queen of the world and Chair of the ALAC, I was very pleased to have got the very support to present an ALAC, an At-Large advisory committee based, session at IGF.

Which I think was probably earlier than [inaudible], probably back in [inaudible]. So, I'm very supportive of these activities, but I am also very much, we're scrolling, please Gisella, I can look through it. I'm also very much aware that things are getting more difficult and tighter so we may have to look at, if not this year, in a few years, at combined approaches.

So, you know, for me, my voice sounded just a tiny bit bizarre, and I'm now about to speak. Can I please have scrolling? Against what, what may sound like against my own areas request. Thank you very much. No [CROSSTALK], I'm still not scrolling. Because, thank you, now we've got it. Because I always find it wilyly amusing that APRALO or indeed



---

AFRALO, should be making efforts to present when the damned thing is in LACRALO.

I personally think ALAC should do stuff and the local regional At-Large organization should do stuff. But that is not the way of it. And you know, maybe next year, we'll think about it in those ways, but I've always found it interesting that, you know, AFRALO needs to come to APRALO to a region to do IGF.

However, in the absence of an ALAC one getting there, it's good to have something. As you can read, this is an approach for a workshop, very, very similar to the AFRALO approach for APRALO, the specific workshop moderators and power, to run something at the Brazilian IGF. The specifics, obviously are not, unlike the AFRALO approach, looking at workshop, and outreach, and civil society interfaces, strategic objectives are I think, quite reasonably, outlined in this document.

And I also would suggest that this is one of those things that could, if an IGF was shorter, could be more reasonably put under CROPP, but IGF's are longer and CROPP funding is far too narrow for this sort of thing. But again, it is contingent, I would have thought, on the workshop being accepted. We had a grower, has had good success in the past, and has had workshops accepted, and we all know, as Tijani has just spoken to, the very good networking and outreaching and developing of new contacts and ALS opportunities, etc. including capacity building that happened.

The concept of five accommodations for five people to attend the 10<sup>th</sup> IGF, is in line with what you see from other RALOs. I will put the

---

[inaudible] with my recommendation, recognizing my personal reservations about, well I'm sure Tijani will argue against, because APRALO has benefitted from and beneficial to many, many IGFs in many, many regions in the past, as has APRALO.

But let's put them into the mix and see what happens. But in the not too distant future, put a little pin in this, I think we might need to change the way we look at engagement in IGF. Over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. And that indeed, Tijani I see your hand up, we'll go to you next, that indeed what I was originally proposing when we were talking about this, that the Finance and Budget subcommittee actually do triage, if necessary, and say, no, these conflict, we're only going to submit one.

Not specifically talking about IGF presentations, but in general, that this group, you know, do some level of triage and decision making. There was a strong objection to that in Singapore, and we're not doing it, but you know, clearly in my mind, that was something we should have been doing. So, another pin in the thing going forward. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you Alan. Cheryl, another reason you cannot include it in the CROPP, the IGF workshop, it is because the CROPP is for the regional outreach. It has to be in your region. So as you...

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I understand that. But what I'm saying is, the type, this type of activity is better seen in CROPP, and if this was a LACRALO one, it would, I would be saying, put it into CROPP.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, perhaps you're right. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Judith has made a comment on the number of people requested, that is AFRALO is requesting three, APRALO is requesting five. Any comments? And again, the people who wrote this aren't here to defend it, so we're in a bit of an awkward position.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: In many cases it depends upon the makeup of the panel, and the people that you are having engaged. If you've got a main session or panel, you need to get your panelists there. And so it's much more a matter of the appropriate subject matter experts, if you're going to be asking people, or having people engaged in the workshops and panels, they are not already attending IGF under other auspices, then you have to pay to get them there.

And if you are asking people who are there under other auspices, you've got to wedge yourself in to try to get the small amount of time that they have, because those who pay, get the lion's share of anyone's attention.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. This application differs from the AFRALO application in that it seems to be speaking both of outreach and the workshops, but does not actually focus in on any specific workshops. It talks about three different workshops.

I have a concern with this one in being accepted because the three workshops appear to be speaking about very different topics from each other. And the application itself, says that it's going to...

ALAN GREENBERG: Someone has to mute.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There is a...

ALAN GREENBERG: Try again.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm hearing myself, but never mind, I'll continue. And the first part actually says, APRALO leadership team outreach...

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me, can everyone please mute? Can everyone please mute accept Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [Inaudible]. Anyway, the leadership team outreach appears to be, is that the same people as the people that will be in any of those three workshops? And I have a concern that they [inaudible] and so [inaudible] question [inaudible] that's all.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I answer that? The answer would be yes. And in fact, at IGF, certainly the APRALO people [inaudible] IGF in the past, have also done a lion's share to manage the ICANN outreach booth. So they not only work for their own sessions and workshops, they also assist ICANN more generally. That's just a side benefit.

And Judith, you say people are not paid to attend IGF? There are many panelists who cannot attend and have the, to say the least, second or third class ability to interact remotely, and we only have to look at the last IGF to see what [inaudible] of the remote participation or panelist was, because they cannot attend.

It is a [inaudible] second best, at the very best, if you can't have if you can't have a panel [inaudible]. And unless you can get them there, you often have to [inaudible]. And unless you can get them there, you often have to rely on remote participation, and that is usually very, very unsatisfactory. Usually results in a poor, if not a disastrous workshop or session.

ALAN GREENBERG: As I read this proposal, it's really saying they're looking for ICANN support, and then put in three proposals in, hoping one of them will be accepted by the MAG. Is that [CROSSTALK]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...all three accepted by the MAG, because it has many accepted by the MAG before.

ALAN GREENBERG: Unless the MAG, again, says we're looking for new options.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maybe they will, in which case, this becomes mute, as it did before. Remember, APRALO was given funding, but it didn't get through the MAG process last time.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yup. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Alan. Tijani speaking. This year, the final department put in the guidelines for those applications, more restrictions for the workshops at IGF. One of those restrictions, they said, ICANN will not fund a third party speaker. That means that the speakers will not be funded, so they are only organizers of the workshop, and if it happens

---

they can be speakers at the same time, but they don't fund the speakers as they put in their guidelines. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's why people have to wear many hats.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any other comments? Again, as I said, I was hoping that we would have more triage in this group. There was an objection to it, and we're not doing it. Does anyone feel like there is enough wrong with this that we have to push back to the RALO?

No one has their hand up, no one is yelling and screaming, the we go ahead with it. How do we want to provide any level of guidance to ICANN? As Tijani has pointed out, we are not likely to get funded for all of these. Do we want to provide any guidance to ICANN as to which ones they want to favor, should push come to shove? And they think all of our proposals are great, but they're not going to give them all to us.

Fine, if no one has anything to say, then I'll make some proposals. I would suggest that the, not prioritizing among themselves, but at the top of the priority list, are the three regional assemblies, and the two ALAC additional days, additional sessions, because those are ones that I believe are necessary to make ALAC more functional.

---

And I would tend to rate the ALAC IGF proposal over the regional ones, but they are workshops, and that one is not a workshop, so it's a bit of a hard outreach on that. Anyone have any comments on that prioritization? I see two ticks from Cheryl and from Olivier. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. So, I'm a little confused on what your prioritization, so you say that the captioning proposal would not rate at all, on any level, with those? And if that's the case, I disagree. I think that has the most benefit to everyone on this thing. They're much more sought in the IGFs than the other ones, and the assemblies in that matter. We've done those in the past, and this is a new thing.

So I disagree if that's your logic.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Anyone else support Judith's position? Olivier is that tick for that or for previous tick?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Also, some people who would support me are not here, have left already. So because due to the lateness of the thing being over the 30 minutes after our deadline.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: We are indeed. We have to learn to be more concise. I wasn't suggesting those aren't important. I was suggesting that those are ones that, the ALAC ones in particular, and the regional assembly ones, are part of our long-term strategic goals, to make ALAC and [inaudible] more effective.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So exactly, that is what the captioning is, and it's also something that was part of the ATLAS 2 recommendations from the Board. I don't see the other ones part of ATLAS 2 recommendations to the Board.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not arguing with that. I'm asking...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm not sure that [inaudible] the statement is actually accurate either, because for example, indigenous work was part of, or would be seen as validly part of the ATLAS 2 as well. Judith, this isn't an opportunity to [inaudible] individual ones, this is now an opportunity for, as the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, to decide whether or not, this is Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record by the way.

Whether or not a prioritization does or does not go along with all of those that have been approved. Now the fact that all of those have been approved, means all of those will be looked at by the powers that be, the Finance and Budget subcommittee, and indeed the ALAC, has a right if not a responsibility, to put in some semblance of priority order based on some rationale and transparent criteria, such as, as Alan just

---

outlined, fitting in with the medium and long-term strategic planning of the entities.

And the entity I mean the ALAC as opposed to ICANN, but it could in fact, apply to both. So that's what we're doing now. And this happens every time we go [inaudible]. Let's make sure we don't confuse doing the pitch again, versus establishing having a whole smorgasbord as to what gets a priority and why, for indeed, why nothing should be prioritized and the whole grab bag goes forward.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: If that's the case, then I believe that the whole grab bag should go forward.

ALAN GREENBERG: Judith, it is, we're not arguing that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: You're saying that you are going to put a prioritization...

ALAN GREENBERG: I said we need to somehow identify which ones are strategic to ALAC, and that is the difference. But I will point out that ICANN is moving aggressively on closed captioning. I really don't think you have a worry.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I still don't think it will get support. I do not think [inaudible] program will get funding because ICANN is going to be do more about it, and they're not going to pay for a pilot for work that they already are claiming to do. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to stand in the way of it going through and having a damned good shot.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl I think we're saying the same thing. Whether this is accepted as a project or not, the concept is going forward. And if someone doesn't mute their microphone to stop the echo, thanks. Thank you. I think. The concept of captioning within ICANN is going forward, whether we put a proposal through or not. Now we're not saying we're not going to put it through, but I don't really think it's a strategic issue.

It is something that ICANN is moving forward on. Judith, you wanted to speak.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I'm so confused in the sense that, if we're not putting prioritization, then why do we, then we're putting strategic goals, but that's prioritization. So I'm a little confused.

ALAN GREENBERG: The problem is, there is not a single set of goals that anyone is working to, including ICANN Finance. We already know that there is a significant focus on captioning, and whether they choose to do a pilot project for ALAC proposals, for ALAC sessions or not, we know that concept of captioning is going forward.

---

So I can't speak to whether they're going to approve it regardless of any prioritization, or any messages we send along with this. I would have thought, that all of these things that we have to predict which ones are going to happen over the next year or two, captioning is likely to be one of them. So, think you're worrying a little bit too much on it. And even if we put a priority on something, that means virtually nothing regarding, excuse me, how it's going to be judged by those who are judging it.

What I was trying to do, and I think Olivier has captured the words in the message, is the core ALAC activities, that I think we have to send the message. It's quite clear, we have sent a strong message, saying we wanted another summit in less than five years. If we're going to accomplish that, we need some General Assemblies in the interim.

So I put those very high on our prioritization list. The ALAC meetings, to make the ALAC itself more effective, and I'm afraid it is not right now, we intercessional do very little via mailing lists and Wikis as a group. We have individual people who do a lot of work, but as a group, we do not do this very effectively. And I think from my point of view, as Chair, those are absolutely strategic, if we're going to move forward and have a more effective ALAC, which translates to a more effective At-Large.

So that's why I was identifying those as strategic, not that the others aren't important, but they're not critical success factors to the ALAC and At-Large being a successful part of ICANN. And that's what I was trying to capture in the ones that I was saying that were on the top of my list. In other words, we can capture everything from here to Singapore, so to speak, but if the ALAC isn't doing its effective job, it doesn't matter.

---

---

And that was what I was trying to capture and what I was saying. Does that make it any clearer?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't really have the time to argue. I don't necessarily agree with you, and I'm already... I'm already going to be late for another event, but...

ALAN GREENBERG: You're not the only one. I think it's the differentiation between strategic and important, and that's what I was trying to get across. The important things are things we want to do, the strategic things are ones that we will fail to exist if we don't do those properly.

Okay, clearly, Judith disagrees on this one. I haven't heard any other objections. So we're going to try to do something, and I will be publishing to this mailing list what we come out of. Heidi and I will be working over the next three days, and try to pull this all together. And any of you who said you would commit to something over the next day or so, please make sure you deliver.

I thank you for your time and for the extra 35 minutes. Bye all.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**