
ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. So, we will start with this call. Is Holly Raiche already connected in English? Is her audio issue already solved?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes.

TERRI AGNEW: Yes, and Holly is connected on the English channel.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Okay, thank you very much Terri. So once again, this is Alberto Soto speaking. Good afternoon, good morning, and good evening everyone. Thank you very much for your participation. We will start this meeting.

Today is Monday, March the 16th, 2015. This is 23:00 UTC. So now, I will give the floor to the staff to proceed with the roll call, that is item number two on the agenda. Please go ahead.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the LACRALO monthly teleconference, on Monday the 16th of March, 2015 at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel, we have Carlos Aguirre, Christian Casas, Carlos Vera Quintana, Ricardo Holmquist, Aida Noblia, Leon Sanchez, Alberto

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Soto, Martiza Agüero, Humberto Carrasco, Johnny Laureano, and Tatiana Khramtsova.

On the English channel we have Holly Raiche and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

On the Portuguese channel we have Alyne Andrade.

I show apologies from Sylvia Herlein-Leite, Javier Chandia Rojas, and Sergio Salinas Porto.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Terri Agnew.

Our Spanish interpreters are Veronica and David. And our Portuguese interpreters are Esperanza and Bettina.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Terri. I would like to thank the interpreters for their valuable contribution to this call. And now, without further ado, we will proceed with the adoption of the agenda. So Humberto, you have the floor, go ahead please.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

This is Humberto Carrasco speaking for the record. So we will proceed with the adoption of the agenda, but before that, I would like to thank

Holly Raiche, because it is very late at night for her, and she is working with us today. So she's making a great effort to participate in this call.

When it comes to the action items, pending action items, we have one, which is related to item number eight, and that is document for review and update. So I will speak about that once we get to that item on the agenda. All the remaining items will be dealt with today on the agenda.

And the item number five will be addressed by Holly. And then we will discuss the proposal for the creation of documents, and the, we will speak about training. Carlos Aguirre will be in charge of that item. When it comes to webinars, Alberto Soto and Carlos Aguirre will speak about that.

Then item number eight, documents for review and update, I will be in charge of addressing that item. Then we will speak about the working group reports. And then we will speak about the Buenos Aries showcase. Alberto Soto will address that item on the agenda. And finally, we will deal with the MOU with LACNIC. And then we have other business or other issues.

So with this, I would say that we adopt the agenda, and I will skip the action items because they are related to item numbers six, seven, and eight on our agenda, and we will discuss those items later on. So, Alberto, you have the floor.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Humberto. I would like to say something before going on. And this item that I would like to

mention has to do with the ICANN meeting in Buenos Aires. So, with this, we will proceed with item number five, so I would like to thank Holly very much for her presence and for her work, because she's always working in ALAC.

And as Humberto said, she's making a really great effort because there is a huge time difference in her place. So Holly, you have the floor, and thank you very much for being with us today. Go ahead please.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you very much. It's Holly Raiche for the transcript record. And I have to say, there is a huge time difference, but just for once on these calls, it's actually 10:00 in the morning, which is, that isn't to say that I have to go off and start teaching a bunch of students very soon after we close. Thank you for your time, and thank you for actually [inaudible], it's very terrific, it's very convenient for me.

Now, what I'm going to talk to you about, first of all today, is the At-Large review. When we... We had an ALAC review, an At-Large review back in 2008, and it's our turn, but these reviews are part of the whole ICANN process of constant review to make sure that we're all achieving our objectives, that we're doing it efficiently, effectively. That we're actually, I suppose [inaudible] for money, the way you think about it, but actually making a difference.

So the first review that we had was in 2008, it was an ALAC review. But at the time, it was very early in the day for both the regional At-Large organizations and the ALSs, so that the review was largely at the ALAC level. It wasn't below. This review will give us a chance to look at RALO

structure and the ALSs, and look particularly at their organization, their efficiency, their effectiveness, and so forth.

So it's going to be an opportunity for all of us to have a good look at ourselves, where we are. And as you can see from... Sorry. I really want to get to the review here. ICANN bylaws indicate that all of the organizational elements of ICANN, do have a review, a regular review. The other element under our first heading, the GNSO had just recently completed its review. And when we were planning the ALAC review, I had a chat with the person who headed that up.

There are some lessons to be learned, and some of the documentation from the GNSO report actually wound up on the work status for ALAC. It's an interesting documentation about that review. One of the elements of the review is an independent examiner. The examiner will be, will go out [inaudible], and will be selected by the structural [inaudible]... It's a competitive bid. A contract looking specifically at the qualifications to do this kind of a review.

The working party, and that's an ALAC working party, will be composed of myself, who is chairing, and then two representatives from each of the RALOs. Now, my understanding of who will be on your working party, the name Alberto mentioned there, but I believe that either is being named, and I also believe that Fatima has, but [inaudible] confirm that, that would be terrific.

The way that the review will be conducted, there is a lot of documentation both from our past review, from the GNSO review, from a lot of the documentation, from ALAC itself. There is a 360

assessment, it's simply an online tool that some of the people involved or in ALAC, will take. And there is there [inaudible]...

...and one of the tasks for each RALO is to identify say two or three people, who will be critical in the understanding on how each of the RALOs work, and how it interacts with the ALSs. The review criteria will be suggested, and we would like to have a kind of metric, so that we can actually saying to ourselves [inaudible]....

Now, that's the general review cycle for all of the elements of ICANN, with [inaudible], and this is the timeline. We're in the very early stages [inaudible] after that, it will take between nine and 12 months for the whole process to take place, and there will be at least one ICANN meeting, probably the Dublin meeting, which will be [inaudible]...

After that, there will be [inaudible], there will be participating in plenty of the implementation of [inaudible] come out of that review. [Inaudible]...

TERRI AGNEW: And pardon me Holly, this is Terri. Are you able to speak a bit louder for our interpreters?

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, sorry, yes.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I have a very soft voice except when I'm lecturing my students. I'll pretend I'm lecturing to students. I was saying, where we're up to now is planning the review. That started for ALAC in January before Singapore, will go up to [inaudible] this period. There were a plan that is being developed, it started being developed within the structural improvements review community, but the women who is in charge of that, [inaudible] and I are working together to develop a plan which will include the working party and a [inaudible] of how we're going to [inaudible] as well.

Developing the questions, working through [inaudible] interviews, and the Board, at this time, up until June, we'll be selecting [inaudible]. After that, the review, and obviously the implementations. Now, the [inaudible] has evolved. It's looking at documents [inaudible] between the documents first and last [inaudible] of ALAC, GNSO review to see what lessons we can learn, but also I'm looking at, I suppose, the documents of all of the RALOs.

And the actual entities. The report itself, there will be a draft report and the working party will be involved. In looking at the draft report, coming up with some of the implementation that will be planned and coordinated with the Board. In terms of roles and responsibilities on the right hand side, this is what ALAC does. I'm sorry. This is what staff do. The working parties will be engaged [inaudible] outreach to all of our members, to coordinate an assessment, to coordinate who we talk to, to actually work with the [inaudible] structural improvement

committee, to provide any clarification and [corrections to] understanding what may or may not have [in the] documentation.

And then we will be involved in the implementation plan. They're going to be Wikis and each of them links to the Wiki, and Terri if you could just put in the chat, one of the things that will be very helpful is, Ariel has this, developed a Wiki that has all of the documents from the past reviews for those who are interested in it.

The other document from this review includes all of the [inaudible] slides that I have been telling you about, and there is a lot more slides left. You can review that. There is also a frequently asked questions documents that has been prepared that will give you all of the background you need as to the review itself. And questions? Do you have any questions? Because what I really need to do now, well in just the next little while, is just a confirmation as to two members of LACRALO who will be on the working party, and what I'm hopefully doing, what you will be doing in the next month, is thinking through the issues you think should be the subject of questions, and naming a couple of people you think will be critical to be interviewed as part of this review.

So, over to you Alberto for any questions, or if anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer them.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Holly for your presentation. The first question is, could you please explain our people, what is the implication of this project? I mean, what is the importance

of this project? Because we have many points to take into account, and it is not clear to us the importance. For example, I have participated in all of the meetings in Singapore, and I see this is very important in relation to the ALSs and of course, for the RALOS, and of course, for ALAC.

But could you please explain the importance of this? Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

[Inaudible] your question, Alberto [inaudible]... for ICANN itself, to look at its own processes, whether it's following its processes, whether in fact, in the development of, for example, policies and implementation. There are a couple of processes to make sure that everyone has been listened to, that all of the issues have been raised.

In terms of the ALAC review, we have a particular responsibility to represent the interests of end users in a range of policy issues, in a range of issues that ICANN deals with. There are technical issues, there is a bit of [inaudible], there are new issues about international domain names, there are lots of issues in terms of privacy issues, in terms of WHOIS information. There are lots of issues in terms of new generic names, all of which, many of which, and many other policy issues, do involve the interest of end users.

Also, I'm sure that in LACRALO, you have many issues of importance for your end users, as well as in relation to LACNIC and ICANN. What the review is about, is to understand better what you think is important to achieve, how you can achieve it, how you can, in fact, participate, and how you both listen to your members, how you help educate your

members, and then how you bring your concern of your members to ICANN meetings to make sure that LACRALO is heard as part of the larger discussions within ICANN.

Does that help you?

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Holly. Yes, that answers my question. What I would like to say in LACRALO, is that the work that is being done is very important, indeed. And this is a structural work, that is to say, there are many topics being addressed with different working groups, and it is very extremely important, the presence of our members in those working groups, the participation of our members in those working groups.

So the next step would be to gain volunteers, or to contribute with volunteers to be part, so that they can be part of the At-Large review process. So I hope that now that they have certain idea, and that they have knowledge on this, well, perhaps now we will be able to achieve a greater participation from our people in those working groups.

HOLLY RAICHE:

This is Holly Raiche for the record. [Inaudible]... before we go on, I think I should also emphasize that if you have developed lots of ways of achieving training information sharing, and so forth, it would be very useful to understand how LACRALO goes about representing understanding, and representing its own end users. You might Aida if she has a question, because the hand is up.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Are there any other questions? Aida, go ahead please.

AIDA NOBLIA: This is Aida Noblia speaking. Okay, I would be willing to volunteer to work, but I don't know if I will be able to collaborate in the whole process. And the other topic that I would like to mention is the issue of language. If English is required, well, I would like to say that I am not mastering English, so that's why I did not present myself to be a volunteer.

That's why, because I'm not a fluent English speaker, and English is an issue for me. So I thought that if I didn't speak English, well that would be enough. But in any other case, and from any other point of view, of course, I am willing to participate. Thank you very much.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you Aida. In this case, there is no time for enrollment. All of the ICANN groups are open, and anyone can access and they can do that at any time, if they just introduce themselves in the list. And you just need to contact Humberto or myself, and we will put you in contact with the Chairs in the group, or with the Chairs in the general group.

So with respect to English, well, my English is very bad as well, but they have been very, very patient with me, and I am now participating the

same way. We can also continue with some ideas that somebody didn't think of that, so I think it's also just another way of participating.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you Alberto. First, Aida [inaudible] would very much value involvement, there will be translation and I'm sure that the fact that your knowledge of Spanish and your knowledge of LACRALO would be very helpful. So I welcome your involvement.

And Alberto, you're absolutely right, we do welcome all participation. So with that, I think the task is now to LACRALO to think through the sorts of issues that you think this review should cover, and I would be working with the two, and I believe it will be either Fatima or Alberto and Aida, in terms of making sure that this is an effective review of ALAC.

Now if there are no other questions, I think you've got on your plate, and I'll leave you to the rest of your meeting. But thank you for your time.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto for the record. Thank you very much Holly. I reiterate my thanks for you, and the great sacrifice, and what I can promise is, we will try to have many members in those working parties, in those working groups. So I invite you to continue in the meeting, but I do understand that maybe you do not want to continue because it's very late at night.

So thank you very much Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto for the record. Even though this is in the chat room, for those of you [inaudible], still remember that for any working group, we only need three persons in just one working group. And if there are three people, then we will include translation in that working group. In Singapore I saw, or I look at those lists, and LACRALO has a deficit in the number of people we are considering to the ALAC working group for ICANN.

And those of us who are involved now, we do not have sufficient time. So I would suggest going now to item 5.1, unless Humberto has a different idea, that we leave some more room during this week, so that different representatives of different ALSs can actually get in the group. Remember that we are creating policies.

And in this case, it is not good to criticize if we do not work on this, or to take something and criticize without having done anything. So I would really suggest that we have several representatives in that. And we will provide inputs from our regions, because these are policies that we will need to comply with that.

So I see Alejandro Pisanty is volunteering. Is there anybody else who would like to say anything else?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. Let me say that if I have not misunderstood you, and I have been having a look at the list of participants in the group, with the inclusion of Alejandro Pisanty, we would be reaching three Spanish speaking persons, because we would Fatima, Alejandro, and Aida. And if I'm not mistaken, then a translation into Spanish would apply in this case.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. I think this is perfect Humberto. Thank you for this. We still have three people for the language, that's correct, but we need some more people.

ANTONIO MEDINA: This is Antonio Medina speaking. Thank you. I would like my name to be included in this group as well please.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto speaking. Now, that's great, thank you Antonio. So that we don't lose any more of our time, let's go on with our agenda then. Item number six is the webinar. The GSE webinar for LACRALO. Carlos Aguirre, you have five minutes to talk about this.

CARLOS AGUIRRE: This is Carlos Aguirre speaking. Can you hear me? So Carlos Aguirre for the record. I just wanted to say that we have worked a lot, and there was a huge input from people in our region, Humberto and Alberto, together with some people from the, the vice-chair of ICANN for Latin

America, Rodrigo de la Parra, Rodrigo [inaudible], and all together, we have managed to kick-off all of these training workshops, and all the webinars we have been putting up for the future, and for training of all of the users and members of ALSs being related to what they have been dealing with so far.

The first webinar will be on the 19th of March, that is, three days from now. That would be at 23:00 UTC. That would be exactly the same time. Of course, all of you are invited and obviously, we would like you to spread this out to other organizations and to any person who is interested in knowing about Internet governance. And in this specific case, the issue is the governmental advisory committee, the GAC, and individual Internet users.

That is, the relation, the connection between Internet users and the governmental advisory committee, within the governance structure of ICANN. We will have the following speakers, it can be three people who are specialists in this. First we will have Olga Cavalli, she is the vice-chair of the GAC. There will be Mr. [De Silva] who is the minister, a minister in Brazil, and he is also a GAC member.

And we will also have Leon [Felipe] Sanchez, our representative, our ALAC representative in the region. He is one of our best speakers, and he, or all of them will be able to tell us a bit more about something that many of you have don't know much about. So this is where we're going to start. We are expecting to have other webinars.

We are working on that right now for the following month, but this is going to be the first. This is going to be our beginning. We would like to

give all of our energy to that, and we want you to reach out to other people. We are spreading this out through the social media, and we would like to have as much people as possible on the 19th, at this same time, so that we can all participate in this webinar, which is almost mandatory for those of you who are now involved in this work, and who feel that you want to grow more.

So thank you very much Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Carlos. I want to emphasize one thing that Carlos Aguirre said, which is this, ALS, please do invite whoever in the multistakeholder model, of your area of influence, invite all of your friends who are in the government, provide them with a link for these events, and ask them to get involved in this webinars.

Because it is very important that we integrate people from our region. This is the only way we will have to achieve our goals. Let's now go immediately into item number seven, which is the thing for upcoming webinars. We're going to be very short, but we now have found that the proposal we are having for issues that we have seen, that with the ALAC capacity building events, and the issues that we have proposed, the issues that have been proposed by both Rodrigos, there are issues that...

Well, we said that there are certain issues that we are not going to have webinars for that, because those are webinars of our own line already. But there are people who have asked for webinars that are online, and

still we say that if that there are people asking for that, then we would try to generate a webinar with those issues.

Why is that so? Well, because a webinar is always online. It is read. I am hearing this, I am interacting with whoever is trying to explain the issue that I want to learn about. So, those who thought, or didn't really think it was practical to have an online course, then in this case, it would be a lot easier. So now Carlos is going to provide us with some of the issues so that we can prepare for the four, five, or six following months, we can prepare them some issues that we can agree by consensus.

CARLOS AGUIRRE:

This is Carlos Aguirre speaking again for the record. The issues that I'm going to mention are the issues that we have been offered by the vice-chairs in the region. And this is capacity building, we are working together on that. And the issue that still needs to be identified is who are going to be the trainers, but we would like to discuss this with Humberto and Alberto to see if we can have some of our own trainers, so that, so trainers are more close to us.

The issues that have been proposed, and that we have agreed on, in principle, but still we are open to more proposals or to more offerings, are the following. First we divide them into levels, and for the basic level, there is basic DNS webinar. This is the domain name system, and we will deal with issues such as what is an IP address, IPv4 and IPv6, what is a domain name, what are zone files, and then there is the registration of domain names. Zone files of the DNS, the process to distribute domain names, gTLDs and TLDs and how it is they work.

So this is going to be the first webinar, it's going to be incomplete, but it will deal with basic issues that nobody, absolutely nobody should fail to know, and nobody should ignore this, because this is basic, and it is part, it is an essential part of what we are doing on a daily basis. Another webinar that has been proposed, and that we have accepted, but as I said, we are still open for multiple, is the DNS ecosystem.

This would deal with registrars and registries, resellers, how to register domains, what are the WHOIS databases, precision and information in WHOIS information. Another of the proposals is the financing of the multistakeholder model, the ccNSO, the GNSO, other supporting organizations, ALAC, SASC, AC, NSO, different committees, the Board of Directors, staff, and how to participate. That is, all of those are essential issues and substantial issues.

That is, this really is the basis of what we should know, each of us, so that we can start discussing. And many of us who have been involved in this for some time, there are certain issues that we ignore really. And I think this is the time to get to know this, because these are webinars that come from our region, they are spoken or interpreted into Spanish, and this is an opportunity, as Alberto says, to really interact.

We have something that is instructing, that is training, and we can ask all the questions we want, so that we can be informed and have a base for discussion for participation, and so it would be important to have this for our structure, for our region. Then there is an intermediate level, I'm going to be more quick so that I don't bore you. And in this intermediate level, we are talking about are the four webinars on the new gTLD program.

On the DNS security, Internet governance, and the IANA functions, and the stewardship transition. And on the more advanced level, we are expecting to have another four webinars, and this would cover the even demands of December because this would be one webinar a month, and we will discuss then about advanced DNS security, universal acceptance, ICANN and domain names, etc.

And another level on name collisions on domain names, and the ICANN accountability mechanisms, which is something that is now really, it's an issue that is on the table right now. And we're going to discuss this together with Rodrigo de la Perra, who is one of the trainers. So these are the webinars, or the headlines of the webinars that we are expecting to deliver to you.

That as we said, and we'll repeat this once again, we are always open to the possibility that someone may propose something different, and we may have a deviation to one of those webinars, and probably, we will be uploading. And I think this will be so, so we will be uploading this list of webinars proposed, with the issues that each of us have to mention, and with the trainers as well.

This will probably be next week, and we will be defining the issues then that we are still missing. So with this, I think we are going to give one step forward, and it will be very important to see, as I was saying before, that there is more engagement, more participation. You participate by asking, you participate not only by being an ALS representative, but we are also expecting the participation of all of those who can get engaged, and who are part of any ALS.

And if you're not part of an ALS, then if it's not a [inaudible] ALS, if you are just an individual who is willing to know about ICANN, you are welcome. This is something that we need to advertise, that we need to show it off. Not only in the social media, and in our own social media, but we can also show this on our Twitter account and we need to have people who are knowledgeable, and with this knowledge, these people can have an expected participation, which is what we are actually missing right now.

And this idea that was born with Alberto and Humberto, who are excellent ideas, and with this idea of ICANN in the region with Rodrigo de la Perra, Rodrigo [Salsato], and those of us who are contributing to these webinars, I think this is a great opportunity, and we should all leverage this opportunity.

So those of you who do not participate in the first webinars, well this is something really bad. You should really take part of that, and we will be informing you of the opportunities that you will have to hear those webinars. So this is scheduled for 23:00 UTC. Just one more thing. You can invite other regions who want to get involved, so that they can share with us everything that we are preparing here in the Latin American and Caribbean region.

So, it's a good opportunity for all of us to learn about issues that are probably things not to ignore. Thank you very much.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto for the record. Thank you very much Carlos. Rodrigo [Salsato] has send us the list of the speakers, the possible

speakers, since this is just a suggestion, we will use the surveys that we have already circulated. So perhaps we might invite, as a result of the survey, we might invite our people, that is to say, people from that LACRALO, for them to be speakers, either individuals or sharing the topic with people from ICANN.

And with this, let's continue with item number eight. Humberto, you have the floor, go ahead please.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. I would like to tell you that I am still working on this topic. So, unfortunately my personal responsibilities did not allow me to finish with this, but I hope that this will be finished by our next LACRALO monthly meeting. So this is all I can say regarding the pending document. And now I will give the floor again to Alberto to deal with item number nine.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Humberto. Well, I have a piece of information. I was speaking with Sergio Salinas Porto and I asked him to send me at least a line or a sentence regarding each pending document. When it comes to the metrics working group, tomorrow the document will be sent for translation, and then, since this document was already discussed, we will open the voting period.

When it comes to the operating principles, well today I have received the translation that is already posted on the Wiki, so I think Sergio will be sending an email with update information, and with this document,

the voting period is open. And when it comes to the rules of procedure, this is our last document, as soon as we have these two previous documents, or the documents that I have already mentioned, on the way, we will continue or proceed with the operating principles document, but we need to wait for the [inaudible] the document.

Humberto, would you like to make a comment?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. I would like to say that I made a mistake. I was referring to the document that I am in charge of, that has to do with the creation of public institutions and their treatment proposal or process. When it comes to the metrics proposal, well that belongs to the governance working group, the same applies for the operating principles document. So it is correct what you said Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto speaking. Thank you very much Humberto. I mentioned item number nine before the time. Now, when it comes to the group, when it comes to ICANN working groups, or when it comes to the groups reporting to the numbering organization, well we have a final document. The document related to domain names was already finished, and there is an issue regarding the intellectual property, when it comes to the name IANA.

So the numbers community wanted to have the name as [inaudible], that is to say, having something within an organization called IANA, but

the domain name of community organization did not want to have that as such. So that document is not ready yet.

Now when it comes to our working group, I have sent an email to the members of the working group, and I believe it is not worth going on as working group, but I think that we should gather information, and do as I did before. That is to say, to provide updates regarding the different advances or progress on this work. Now, having said this, let's continue, let's proceed with item number 10.

We will speak about the Buenos Aires showcase, but before going into that, is there any comment or question? I see no one with a hand up, so let's continue. The showcase is for all ALSs to show what they do, and what they do in favor of the individual Internet users and their interests. And also, the showcase is useful to show something regarding our countries.

So far, Vanda and Antonio Medina Gomez, Humberto Carrasco, [inaudible], and I are the ones working on this. I was able to work on something to, and I send that information by email. The thing is that we need to find [inaudible] to have [inaudible].

For the previous showcase in Buenos Aires, or previous meeting, we, I was able to get the sponsors, but now I cannot contact that same people. So I need to contact other people to become sponsors. I know that Vanda is working very hard in Brazil, and she will get a very important cash contribution. And why do I say cash money? Well, because the hotel where the meeting will be held, which is exactly the

same as in the previous hotel, which is the [inaudible] hotel, does not allow to have external services.

So we need to hire all services there. And that is very expensive, indeed. And with the money that we have, well, that is not enough. So, with our group, we are trying to host the showcase outside of the hotel, so that we can get sponsors in another place, so with the sponsors that we may have, we may provide something better for all of the attendees to the meeting.

What I would like to ask you is that each ALS should or may contribute to the showcase with a typical or traditional dance. Why do a traditional dance? Because that would not imply participatory right, or any kind of intellectual right. So, I have three quotations with different alternatives for a live show. I will send that information by email. These are very high quality shows, and of course, we will have Tango.

But the idea is to create or provide certain explanation, at least in English, or in three or four different languages, for people to understand what they see, when they see the Tango show, at least so that they may have an explanation about that. So, I would like to ask those attending Buenos Aires, if they have traditional customs or clothing from your country, please bring it with you, and we will use it in the showcase. We will have that on the showcase.

If you remember, in Singapore, they were celebrating the Chinese New Year, and the APRALO people were wearing a special color, and they had a really interesting showcase. So please, I would like to ask you this, and I would like to ask you to collaborate with this. Now, when it

comes to the attendance, well ICANN will not pay, or will not finance this certain travel.

So Rodrigo de la Perra is trying to see how he can get some money for travel support. I think there was one ALS that requested that. And perhaps, you may send a letter to a friend in your local government, either at national or provincial level, and the idea is that that officer be invited to the meeting, but at the same time, that officer should invite the ALS representative.

So, as I said before, we are dealing with all of this. And the last item on the agenda, I will explain further this topic. This is, we're working on the showcase, as I said before, and I would like to know if you have any question or comment about that.

No questions? No comments? This is Alberto Soto speaking. No suggestions? Come on. We're looking forward to receiving suggestions from now on, so please do send your suggestions. Whatever you send should be ready before June the 10th, because if you will, if we will have a video, that video, that movie needs editing, so we need to do it within our time.

Humberto, I am not reading the chat, so could you please read any comment?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Humberto speaking. I was reading the suggestions by Dev. He says that perhaps it would be a good idea to have certain new gTLD operators placed in the LAC region, perhaps they could be sponsors. And there

was one operator that was a sponsor, so this is a suggestion made by Dev.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. Dev, that is a great suggestion. Could you please send that by email to me? I think it's a great, a really good suggestion. Thank you. Okay. So now let's continue with item number 11, that is the possible MOU with LACNIC. As we have already said by email, Fatima Cambronero, Leon, and Vanda Scartizini, and myself, are discussing this with LACNIC people, people from ALAC and LAC TLD. There is good willingness to sign this MOU, but we still need to define exactly what we really want.

I have already sent the project to be translated, and once this is ready, I will publish this for you to comment, and for you to send suggestions in terms of the modification that might be required. After that, we will communicate with LACNIC to formalize this MOU. I will read something from the project that I have already sent.

LACNIC and LACRALO [inaudible], one, exchange information. That is to say, we have agreed to exchange information to promote research and development in order to improve the development in the region. Number two, research, whenever necessary parties may be able to proceed with a joint investigation in common areas. Attendance to meetings.

Parties are invited to attend open meetings, at their own expense, but for when there are [inaudible] or certain assistance of [inaudible] level. Number four, training. Parties will make efforts on a yearly basis to

identify the training areas, and to share resources for their members to make the most of trainers, of training.

Five, outreach. Parties should encourage the publication outreach among members to improve the group, of the membership and to promote information, and provide information to other regions. Six, parties will work together to provide capacity building sessions, or capacity building areas. They will appoint coordinators. Each party will appoint a coordinator for, or a liaison, for first of all, communication.

As I said before, this information will be posted on the Wiki page, in the languages of the region, so that we can start with a debate. Is there any question or any comment that you would like to make? I see no one. Maritza, when it comes to your question, LACRALO has no legal standing to sign, but this is not required. This is taken as a partnership, in fact. So this was already mentioned.

Alberto Soto speaking. It is us, Humberto and I, the ones signing the document. Is there any questions? Humberto Carrasco, please go ahead.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

This is Humberto Carrasco speaking. Thank you very much Alberto. Just a brief comment. Please do review the document, perhaps at first it won't be easier to identify things as, if you pay attention what Alberto read, was quite generic, but of course, you need to read the document. I see Alejandro Pisanty, he's writing a suggestion in the chat, and everything will be taking into account to improve the document.

ANTONIO MEDINA:

This is Antonio Medina speaking. I am requesting the floor. This is Antonio Medina for the record. I just want to mention that in the past meetings, in the chat room, I proposed the creation of a working group, to handle this whole process and to deal with this more transparently. In addition, I would like to propose a meeting with the LACNIC members, perhaps we can schedule this for the next LACRALO meeting, that we can include this in our agenda to have a 15 minute meeting with them to more directly get to know more about what it is that LACNIC is thinking about this. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto speaking. Thank you Antonio. We have taken Alejandro's suggestions, and these are the suggestions that simply arise from what I have just said. Each year, when I say this, each year there is a representative, I mean that each year we need to know what it is that we're going to work on, and to reach a good conclusion. I have no issues with creating a working group.

That we cannot have a meeting with a LACNIC meeting if we do not agree first, because this is how we have been working on the RALOs, that is three year RALOs that agreements with their respective RIRs. Some of them have a very, very significant importance, and APRALO is part of the RIR in the region. So it participates in all of their meetings, and they even have a right to vote. This is the level that APRALO MOU reached.

We, at least in the first stage, I believe, do not intend to reach that level, that we do need to agree in that regard. We need to review this document that is going to be posted. We can create a working group, no problem with that. That we or I, actually would like to know who would like to take care of this. That I need to ask you this. It needs to have a goal, a schedule, etc., and everything needs to be posted and it needs to be complied with. Because we are behind with all of the working groups we have, and it seems so far the working group has served to not progress.

And actually, working groups are the ones who should allow you to progress. So I agree with creating a working group, but we need to see who are the members of that working group.

ANTONIO MEDINA:

This is Antonio Medina speaking for the record. The issue with having an agreement with LACNIC is extremely important in my view, that is why I think we should devote some time to establish which is the kind of agreement that we are going to reach. Now that you've said that there are some agreements in other regions, that is agreements between the RALOs and the RIRs, it would be very interesting to know what kind of agreements have been reached between them, and to take this as a basis.

I do not think that considering that LACRALO should be part of the RIR in our region, should be something ambitious actually, it should be something strategic that we need to assess and review. And that is why I insist that we should have a working group to do this, which is

something that I believe is very important. So this is something that I think we should review and work on.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto for the record. So we will create a working group. Let me also say that this MOU that I am going to propose is based on the last MOU signed by NARALO, and their RIR in North America. It is exactly the same as the APRALO signed with their RIR, except where APRALO, is created as part of that RIR. The rest is exactly the same that I have just said. That is...

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

This is Humberto speaking. It seems we have lost Alberto. We cannot really hear here. This is Humberto still speaking. To continue with this, I think we will need to materialize the creation of the working group, we send an email to those of you who are willing to volunteer. I see that Alberto is asking for something. He says he dropped. So he's being called again.

I would also like to know if there are volunteers to work on this working group.

ANTONIO MEDINA:

This is Antonio Medina speaking. Thank you Humberto. As Alberto said a few minutes ago, there have been some contacts. I think he mentioned three people who were in contact with LACNIC. So, maybe we can be part of that group, and I also volunteer to be part of the working group, and to provide my input, if you think this is fine.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. Antonio, there is no issues with that. We will write your name down. And we will have you participate with the rest of the issues that have been discussed already. So in the chat room, you can also see that Alejandro is accepting a proposal, that things have been made by Johnny Laureano, to lead the working group.

However, I think this issue, I mean just to summarize. Alejandro Pisanty will be in charge of creating the working group. He will also be leading it. He will be helped by Antonio Medina. And I don't know if there will be someone else who will be part of this working group. If so, please say that on the chat room or ask for the floor.

If there are no more people interested for the time being, we will email you tomorrow. We will give some two or three days for people to join the group, if they think it necessary.

ANTONIO MEDINA: This is Antonio Medina speaking. I would like to make a suggestion. Perhaps Alberto Soto should be part of this group. He is the LACRALO Chair, and this could allow us to have a more direct communication with the LANIC representative.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. Well, I took for granted that since Alberto is the promoter of this draft, then he would be part of the working group. I'm asking to confirm this.

This is Humberto speaking. I would like to see if we can have Alberto reconnected. There is an issue that he has called the secret item, and this needs to be dealt with by Alberto. Alberto, you now have the floor.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto speaking. So just to continue this meeting on time, I said there will be a secret item. They are calling my cell phone, but I am online now. I'm online Terri.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you Alberto, I'll let them know.

ALBERTO SOTO: The secret item is the following. Rodrigo de la Perra, and Rodrigo [Salsito] have proposed to see if we can find a way to have at least one person, for the time being, one person, who can travel to Buenos Aires from wherever. They will need to study this a little bit, it's not finished. Rodrigo [Salsito], [inaudible], and I are working on this.

There will be a trivia, and the winner of that trivia... We don't know exactly what it is that we're going to get, but they will for sure get an air ticket and probably they will get air tickets and hotel rooms, because there is a specific amount, that maybe the amount will be enough for a cheaper hotel.

So the suggestion is, this is only for one, it's only one possibility. Whoever wins the trivia, will earn the ticket, or perhaps the ticket on

something else, to Buenos Aires. We are having a looking at the cost, and we're working on the trivia, and since this is [inaudible], and me.

If you, any of you has a friend in the local government, please contact them so that we can invite them to come to the meeting, and they would probably accept. But at the same time, we should create an obligation for this officer, to invite the ALS representative who has made that request. Is there any question or comment so far?

I see no hand up. Johnny, I think all ALSs should interact with the stakeholders. Well, I believe this is an opportunity that I see some people say that this is not possible, and others say it is. Probably in a large country like Brazil, this will yield no results. But in countries that are more [inaudible] than Brazil, this will be effective.

Humberto, is there something pending? Something that was said when I was absent?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is Humberto speaking. No, there are no pending issues Alberto. I think we have dealt with all of the issues on the agenda.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto speaking again. If there is nothing else, then well, Dev, you have raised your hand. Go ahead, Dev, please.

Please go ahead Dev.

TERRI AGNEW: Dev, this is Terri. We're unable to hear you on the English channel.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hello. Are you hearing me now?

TERRI AGNEW: Yes, go ahead.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. This is Dev Anand speaking. Just a reminder, that the deadline for LACRALO to apply for the community regional outreach pilot program, or CROPP as it's know, is approaching soon, because the CROPP program ends June 30th, 2015. But given ICANN's six week deadline for trip proposals to be submitted, and you know, and also considering that ICANN's 53rd meeting is happening in June 2015, and the At-Large CROPP review team requires two weeks for review of any travel requests from the RALOs, that means practically the travel request needs to be submitted to the CROPP review team by April 15th, in order for any travel to take place in the week of June 15th, 2015.

So, given the timing, it's crucial to coordinate any RALO proposals with the outreach, and the CROPP ART members, I am the CROPP ART member, so is Juan Rojas. And so that is so that any proposals can be complete as possible, to ensure the approvals will be as fast as possible. Just a reminder for that. And if there is any particular outreach event that somebody could attend in order to bring in more persons in At-Large, this will be welcomed. Okay, if you want to learn more information, I'll paste the link in the chat about the CROPP review team.

And from there, you will see the processes. That's it.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. There are three projects for January, we are in March, and these projects have now been submitted. So what I have is that when you commit, please try to do this because there is someone else who is deprived of that opportunity. But let me also tell you, that there are one or two additional trips, aside from the CROPP trip, and they do not have a deadline.

Within the projects that we are handling Rodrigo [Salsito] and Rodrigo de la Perra. So those of you who do have a project in your respective area, please do submit them immediately. And any of you who have a problem with the interpretation of the CROPP, there is Dev, there is Humberto, there is me, and please do not fail to send your project.

If there are, the deadline is very close. Together with Dev, we can have the possibility to materialize one of those projects. Dev, is your hand still up from before, or do you want to speak again?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Yes, this is Dev. One quick, just a clarification to what you said Alberto. The additional trip proposals that could be approved by... Well, that is part of the Latin American and Caribbean strategic plan, it falls the same rules as CROPP. So it's the exact same rules, so you need to be familiar with the CROPP program. And it still has the same deadline. If there are a number of proposals coming in, then perhaps the ones from the LAC strategy can be used. But that's it.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto speaking. Well, Dev, I have another information from Rodrigo de la Perra. Apparently, their proposals are not that strict in terms of the CROPP program. That we can think of a different kind of trip with a different motivation or orientation from what is included in the CROPP program. This is something we discussed last week.

Are there any other questions?

ANTONIO MEDINA: This is Antonio Medina speaking. I have a comment to make. This is just to remind you that right now, the call to the [inaudible] award is open. The Columbian Association for Internet Development has also submitted one of the LACRALO members as a nominee, and if you think that you are on time to do this, I think the closing date is on March the 20th, and you still have time to submit a nominee.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto speaking. Thank you Antonio. Could you please an email to the list so that you can remind them?

ANTONIO MEDINA: This is Antonio. Thank you. Yes I will do this.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Is there any other question or comment?

ANTONIO MEDINA:

Antonio Medina speaking again. If you can allow me for an additional comment. For the Columbian Association for the Development of the Internet, we are trying to go to the Buenos Aries meeting. We do know, Alberto, that you send a communication to one of the government entities, so that they are invited, and they can support us financially.

We have not received any information from them, but we are aware to see what are the decisions that they will make. But there is another concern, and it is the fact that whether there is a possibility to refuse some hotel costs, and to see if we can perhaps share a room, two or three members, and the reason is that we, well, during an ICANN meeting, our region specifically, we should make a big effort to be there, to participate.

Argentina in this case is the host, but I think we, all of the LACRALO meetings should be [inaudible].

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto speaking. Thank you very much Antonio. Thos who are going to travel to Buenos Aries, be just get in contact with me, not with the whole list, but just with me, I will try to help you as much as I can. I will try to send information to the list, once I have specific information with specific dates.

I do have something, but I didn't have time to prepare this for meeting to include it as an issue. So it is now, we are just at the top of the hour. And if there are no more questions, we are going to adjourn this meeting. We're going to thank the staff and our interpreters who have

provided us with an excellent service. Good afternoon, good evening,
and good night. Thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]