

MONTREAL – GNSO - NPOC EC Meeting [C]
Saturday, November 2, 2019 – 10:30 to 12:00 EDT
ICANN66 | Montréal, Canada

JOAN KERR: Hi, everyone. This is Joan Kerr and this is the NPOC EC meeting on Saturday, November 2nd on a cold day in Montreal. I'm just going to go around the table, so welcome those online. Please feel free to join.

Just heads up. I don't have my computer with me so [Miriam] will be monitoring if you have your hand raised or not, so please be patient if you do.

I just want to go around the table for everyone to introduce themselves that's here and we'll start with Ore.

OREOLUWA LESI: Hi, everyone. I'm Ore Lesi. I am Secretariat. Nice to be here.

JUAN ROJAS: Thank you. I'm Juan Rojas. I am from Membership Coordinator is the name yet.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Not yet.

JUAN ROJAS: Not yet. Yeah?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Membership.

JUAN ROJAS: Membership Committee Chair.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh, you are?

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah. I'm sorry. Membership Committee Chair from NPOC with Marina and you're not so cold.

MARYAM BAKOSHI: Hi, everyone. My name is Maryam Bakoshi, support staff for NPOC.

JOAN KERR: So we have regrets from Raoul Plommer. He had a previously scheduled event for GDPR which we think is quite important so he's there, so there's regrets. We have online, Carlos will try to join if he can as well, and Caleb is online as well. And that's our regrets we have so far.

So let's get started. We're at ICANN 66. My goodness, I hate to say it but my first meeting was ICANN 42, although I wasn't involved as a stakeholder. So anyway, so let's get started.

Ore, do you want to give us an update of any activities that we have to sort of focus on before we start the ... Oh, one thing, is there anything to be added to the agenda?

No, we're good. All right, do you want to talk about the general actions?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [Inaudible]

JOAN KERR: Yeah. So typically, what we do is we talk about activities that we have to accomplish as the EC and sort of go over them just so that they're on updates or the attention is given and they're not forgotten. That's what, [inaudible] times we try to do.

So the EC has been instigating, I guess, a lot of outreach and engagement particularly focused on some of the charter work that we've done. What is NPOC? How do we promote it? What is its mandate? But also in light of that we're a constituency inside of ICANN, what does that look like, so we don't forget those duties as well.

And I think that going forward, we have a pretty solid infrastructure. We've done quite a bit of preparation in terms of marketing material or if they're not printed and done, certainly have been addressed. And so the next year, what we would, as an EC, would like to do is then just start sort of like an octopus getting different committees going, outreaching to the community to become part of those committees and capitalize on some of the expertise that's in the membership.

We also want to develop membership as leaders so there's that strategy that will happen as well. So three important things is laying the foundation and having those activities implemented, developing the membership leadership, and thirdly, to have a pretty strong collaboration strategy which would include education and resource development. And that we'll talk about later.

We're actually having a meeting with ALAC and GAC to see how we can explore what resources, newcomers in particular because we're all doing the same work, how can we cross-pollinate and have the work lightened? Because that's the only way we can sort of push ahead. It takes a long time to develop things, and time we don't have, and then also our members are waiting for activities so figured that was the best way to go forward.

Are you ready? So I'll let Ore talk a little bit about the activities and then we'll go from there.

OREOLUWA LESI:

Okay, so I'll go over the action items, especially from our last two meetings. So in terms of the charter, Raoul, so an outstanding task was for him to send it to the mailing list and respond to any feedback which he has since done, and I believe it's gone to ... Has it gone to ICANN Now? No, okay. But at least it's been sent out to the mailing list one final time and so I think, yeah, we've done that.

Then Joan put together a draft travel policy, which is in Google Docs and asked members of the EC to comment on it, and I believe people

have made their comments so I think that's done for now until the next step.

Joan requested a webinar from GSC and I believe that has been scheduled as well for ICANN 66.

Then, okay, Joan was meant to write a note to invite people to submit their interest for the NCSG Policy Committee and also EC, so I think that is outstanding. Okay, we'll discuss that today.

All right, then in terms of the membership survey. There's been a lot of feedback and so Joan, Raoul, and Juan were going to work on the draft survey so this can be ready before Montreal and there's been a lot of work on the survey over the last few weeks and I'm sure Juan will give us an update very soon.

We scheduled a members' call for October 8th which we had. So maybe Joan will give us an update on that later on.

In terms of the preparation for the joint ALAC, NPOC, and GAC session, Juan, Joan and Caleb are working on the talking points and so we'll have the updates on that as well today.

Then in terms of our cloud storage, Raoul looked into a tool called Next Cloud and I believe that it's pretty good and has a lot of features, and I think he recommended that we go for that. And since that last meeting, he also reported that I think our domain, our web host is up for updates, yeah, to be renewed. So I think we'll talk about that maybe later today or when Raoul is able to join us in another meeting.

Then in terms of, so regulatory issues. Later issues, discussing about whether NPOC is going to go forward with the supporting, registering, and organization as a supporting organization for NPOC. The last action item was to invite Carlos, [Tiffany] and Ed to give input on this plan and to help draft a one-pager which we would share with the wider NPOC community and decide on the way forward. So I think that is still in progress.

Then, Joan, we were going to select a crop coordinator which we have done. So that's [Iona] and I'm sure she'll be joining us at some point. If not today, then another meeting.

Then I have some more. Okay. In terms of our markets and materials, one was meant to send all the electronic files for all our marketing materials to me, Ore, for the central storage which he has. And so once we get our cloud storage set up, I think I'll be able to put them in a folder and share them with specific members of the EC, and Maryam too. Yes.

Policy Committee updates and policy strategy. Joan was going to speak with Carlos since he's incoming Policy Chair, on setting up a Policy Committee and setting up a schedule for monthly meetings to take place after ICANN 66. So that's to be done.

Oh, I haven't been updating the trailer because people haven't been checking the trailer. So I updated it up until a few months ago. I created a Google Docs table listing all the outstanding tasks. But I think we can also discuss what we'd like to do in terms of tracking the items.

Raoul mentioned that there are some tools in the new Cloud storage facility that we could use to track our activities so we can get more information from him when he's around. But yeah, the trailer hasn't been updated in a while. Yeah.

And I think we're almost done. Okay, then ...

JOAN KERR: [inaudible]

OREOLUWA LESI: Yes, please.

JOAN KERR: So with regard to the trailer, I think it's sort of in a lag because we were exploring another storage/project management software and I think that's sort of why it wasn't updated I think. We were anticipating the storage to have been done, right? So I think that's just, I'm hoping in the next month or so. Actually, I have a meeting with Raoul tomorrow to address this thought.

OREOLUWA LESI: Okay. And then, so Joan and I are going to meet to, I think, compile a list of all the activities that NPOC EC has completed over the last year so that we can share this with our members on constituency day so they can see all the things that we've been doing. And so that's what I have.

JOAN KERR:

Great. Thanks. Geez, sounds like we were busy. But I think we really accomplished a lot so I do want to take the opportunity to thank the EC for having done the work. It is a lot of time and it takes a lot to do, so thanks for everyone. And, of course, Maryam just doesn't support; she nudges which sometimes goes unnoticed but I just want to say it's not just about the support. It's just much more than that, so thank you, Maryam.

But we do have a lot more work to do in that all the things that we have leftover that we thought would be accomplished has to now be added to the implementation process. So we're going to start the implementation regardless. So we want to. That's the phase and that was the plan so we're going to stick to the plan and just have to do double duties for a while until it's done. But I think we're doing a good job so thank you guys.

I just want to touch on the charter. Is there anybody that's asking a question? No, okay.

I just want to touch on the charter process for a little bit. The charter did go as we had asked and we did receive some comments and/or support, so I just think that process is just to sort of pull together and I'm hoping that I'll work with Raoul to send it out before the end of ICANN 66. Right, okay. So that's done. You put the comments together?

MARYAM BAKOSHI:

So Raoul sent the charter to myself and Mary and we're going to forward that on to the right team, just [inaudible] the [regular] things.

JOAN KERR: That's great. Oh yes, I do remember seeing that. So that's wonderful. So that's, at least [inaudible] will get some feedback, I suppose. Okay, great.

We did make a lot of changes, so it will be interesting to see. But we did get support from the community, which is also a good thing. All right, so we did accomplish that. Juan, did you want to talk a little bit about ... Have you talked anything about the storage with Raoul or Caleb at all? For the marketing material?

JUAN ROJAS: No, I have no any update about the [inaudible]. That is managed by Raoul itself so he maybe has all the information, technical for that. Yeah, I can work, talk about outreach and marketing if you want.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. Go ahead.

JUAN ROJAS: Okay. Our next subject is about what we have done in the outreach and engagement plan. We have engagement in outreach plan since I think November, one year ago, we have started to the creation of this plan. So we have some several parts. That one that it's already done, it's about what is NPOC, and what it's done, what is their [inaudible], how is the NCIG structured, and those key subjects to our new members or existing members. That's done.

The second part, it's the one who, we are starting with a survey. It's part of to identify what are the priority topics for our members, what are they doing, who are they located and those things. Yeah, so we launch it a few days before in October 28th.

We launched the survey for our memberships in our mailing list. I asked Raoul this morning and until now, we have only four people that have done the survey. So I invite it to all of you to do the survey. It's not too long. It's just I think 10 questions, I think. It's not more than that and the questions are related with what we want to do, how you can get involved with us, and what topic maybe are you more interested to get in?

We have just questions like, "Okay, we want to know what our members participating. We have an original question about what region are you? It's another the age of the people who are filling the survey and how we would like to, what challenges face people, or an organization, who wants to be involved in NPOC activities and what they would like to be involved, writing public comments, writing statements, just to be a member of the mailing list to get information about us.

And what operational concerns, they have interesting like security and stability, importance of DNS, intellectual property abuse, transferring registration and continuing to own domain names, or privacy. Those are most of the questions that we have for our members. So if you haven't done yet, I invite you to please do. This could be a good resource to get involved and to know what are they doing and what your interest is and how NPOC XCOM can help to get involved, our

members. This is for outreach and this outreach plan has a marketing part also. That is part of the first task. It's to get the people to know what [inaudible]. And this has produced some printing materials, such as booklets, business cards in previous meeting.

For this meeting, we have booklets. They call Beginner's Guide for NPOC. We have postcards. We have designed postcards about what are they key issues from NPOC and I think we have buttons for NPOC. That is to tell the people NPOC is doing a job, what are we doing, and basically to accomplish what we know, what we want to do was differentiate between what are doing our brothers, NCUC and us, the goal for the marketing materials and to know the people NPOC exists inside ICANN ecosystem too. I think that's it.

JOAN KERR:

Great. So we have some marketing materials to look forward to. Some of them are done and we're going to do the updates for French and Spanish hopefully by Cancun, right? At least the Spanish for Cancun. Right. Did you want to say something?

JUAN ROJAS:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I remembered that we were thinking to this meeting to have it in French but I think we didn't. So we need to implement these materials also in another language as French is very known inside here and also Spanish for the next meeting is Cancun. So I think that would be awesome.

JOAN KERR: So we didn't do the French because we also were going to update the Beginner's Guide and it was two duties and it just wasn't going to be accomplished, so that's why we delayed it. But we definitely need to do it for Spanish. Any questions from anyone for Juan?

OREOLUWA LESI: Yes, hi. So we're going to have the materials at the booth. Do we have a schedule to be at the ICANN booth? No. In case people want to ask questions. Okay, whenever we have the time. Okay.

JOAN KERR: I'm booked up with meetings with everybody. So I'm definitely not going to volunteer for that. I want a lot of stuff done so I'm meeting one-on-one with everybody.

All right. So next.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Hello?

JOAN KERR: Oh, there is a question. Okay, Caleb. Sorry, I don't have a phone so go ahead. Go ahead.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah. Sorry, I was asking Juan if he could confirm the total number of people who have filled the survey so that we could, if we don't have

much numbers feedback from the survey, we could remind people now that it's an ICANN meeting to.

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah. Yeah, Caleb. Thank you for that. Yes, I actually told Raoul that we need to get a reminder for the people. Please go ahead.

JOAN KERR: Did you hear that Caleb? It's Joan.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yes, I hear you.

JOAN KERR: Yeah, so yes, another reminder. Juan, are you expecting the EC to fill it out as well? Yeah? See, I wasn't even thinking of the EC because I figure we know what we want.

JUAN ROJAS: The people, the names, do you know?

JOAN KERR: No, the survey. Do you want the EC to fill it out as well?

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah, please. Of course. At least.

JOAN KERR: At least I'll do it then.

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah, I haven't done, even me.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, I have during the testing period with Raoul so I'm sure.

JUAN ROJAS: I'm sure you can do it again.

JOAN KERR: Yeah, so members of the EC, please fill out that. It may bring the numbers up. So if you could send a reminder on [discuss] list as well as the Skype, I think that's pretty effective because there's at least 20 people on that and they respond. So okay. All right, so that's marketing.

Resource development, I just want to say quickly for the membership calls, what we're trying to do is have a minimum of 15 minutes for webinar. Sometimes it may last longer and so we will be collaborating with ICANN staff, GSC, particularly and was it the Global Domain Division? Because they have quite a bit of material.

But we can also, I think, as a strategy and this is just thinking out loud, we should be looking at our members coming in, especially from the regions and telling us what their issues are and how we can help them on the calls as well. So maybe slot it out.

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah. Thank you, Joan. Yeah. I forgot to talk about that we are doing that calls, these calls for our members. At least we have one monthly. We have from Marrakech to here, we had two members call meetings and from that meeting, it's where the survey come up to inviting every people here and maybe the people that hear this recording to participate in our members meetings that are scheduled at least once a month.

JOAN KERR: And it does look like our members are interested in having communications with NPOC because there were 16 people on the call and I think that was pretty good. So because I'm competitive, your tasked with having more than 16 the next time. So make sure you send it out.

So we're not having one for November. We're using the constituency day as a way so that gives you some time. Do you think you will have a preliminary report for the survey? Do you think by Tuesday?

JUAN ROJAS: But yeah, I think for the next Tuesday.

JOAN KERR: Yes.

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah. We have to improve our promotion about the survey in this week.

JOAN KERR: There's your task.

JUAN ROJAS: Yep. That's it.

JOAN KERR: Okay. Yeah, that's pretty exciting. So for the constituency day, we have three presentations. Presenters, I should say. I don't know if they're going to have slides or anything like that, but I think that should be exciting.

I sent out an invite to the community. I will send it out again today if I get my computer and for sure tomorrow. And I'll just keep doing it and I'm sure Maryam will do it too, knowing Maryam because we do want people to join us.

The thing about being competitive is that we have to know when to stop because then we might out-beat ourselves, right? But I look at for our constituency days in the past, if five people were on the call, it was a lot. Right? So we want to make sure that we're actually reaching our members. And we have a lot of goodwill and I don't really want to lose that so I think if we don't do anything this year, we're going to lose it. So I don't like to lose.

Okay. Any questions from Caleb? No.

All right, so today, David are you wanting to talk about policy at all? So let me ask the question and then you can answer. Today we're supposed to have a brainstorming session with ALAC and GAC and one of the tasks is for us to present our talking points on our priority issues. I sent it out three weeks ago. Are we going to be anywhere near that?

DAVID CAKE:

I was hoping that as the [inaudible] will be setting priorities from this point on so he would have more to say about that. And in terms of policy, we have a bit of an issue that we do not have as a group really identified policy priorities and we have those identified by, essentially, the policy chair.

I've never really heard any policy priorities directly come out of the policy committee or the constituents and so our priority is almost to find out what our policy priorities are.

JOAN KERR:

So what we'll say today is that we are working on those.

DAVID CAKE:

Yeah. I know Carlos has identified as one of his priorities will be INGOs but only a relatively small percentage of our members are INGOs. And the others do not have, we do not have sort of a strong policy agenda that comes naturally out of our constituency that's sort of appeared. Our constituents at the moment are not identifying policy priorities for

them and while we can sort of go and ask them, that is not the same as it naturally arising.

So we've instead tried to talk about what our remit within ICANN is, but that's sort of delineating what our issues are rather than having the issues come up to fill it. So it's very hard to say what our policy issues or priorities are rather than what are our policy activities priorities.

JOAN KERR:

We're way past that for this event, so we have to say something at the event. So I don't want to get into any of it. I want to address that we're going to look pretty bad that we don't even have talking points. So what I may want to suggest is if we could talk about our work with you working in the EPDP just to have something to say. This is what we've been working on.

DAVID CAKE:

Yeah. So happy to talk about what we've been working on. Primarily, it's me within the EPDP and Martin within the Rights Protection Review. And we have not had a lot of other policy activity. And I know that Carlos would want to talk about the INGO issue so I'm happy to address all of those.

JOAN KERR:

So I don't think they're looking for us to identify what we've worked on. I think that what we're trying to do this afternoon was to have talking

points to communicate with our members which is different than looking at, “This is what we’ve done,” sort of thing.

DAVID CAKE: Yeah. So we need to identify issues within those that we think our relevant to our members.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sorry. There is a DNS abuse session in this meeting and should be a priority for us there and our members.

DAVID CAKE: DNS abuse is a very complicated one, which sort of identified an area, to what extent. But we haven’t really specifically identified our position within that and so all we can sort of go, we are very interested in DNS abuse and working out which parts of it are relevant to our members. I know personally, I find the DNS abuse category is sort of constructed. It lumps together a lot of things that should perhaps be kept separate. And a lot of people think there’s an agenda to why those things are lumped together. So I’m cautious about just sort of going full stream ahead on DNS abuse.

JOAN KERR: So for today ...

DAVID CAKE: Yeah, we should identify that we are interested in the area.

JOAN KERR: Or come up with a talking point of operational concerns saying, “This is at least something that we’re working on.” Even if it’s a draft statement, I think that it’s better than not having anything.

DAVID CAKE: Yeah, and I think actually that question of identifying which operational concerns where NPOC has a specific different, or even a subset of NPOC members have specific concerns and things within DNS abuse is a valuable direction to go in and it’s part of the whole process of having to understand what our member organizations really, what are of concern to them.

JOAN KERR: So you don’t think that DNS abuse is a big operational concern for not-for-profit?

DAVID CAKE: Oh, no. I think it is. But the question of what exactly is. DNS abuse is a very broad category.

JOAN KERR: I’m talking in terms of operational concerns.

DAVID CAKE: Yeah. So it's a very broad category and some of the things that are lumped within DNS abuse, some of them are not, well put it this way. Within all the explanations of what goes within DNS abuse, some things are not within the GNSO and so NPOC can't really, is in a difficult position to take it on if it's not a GNSO issue.

JOAN KERR: Okay, so may I suggest something then?

DAVID CAKE: Yeah.

JOAN KERR: We're not looking at the full positions of what others are dealing with, just what NPOC could deal with. So let's use the word "could". So how about like maybe you and I can meet after and say, "Okay, this is what we've identified. We're working through it, but this is what we've identified as an operational concern and these are the activities that we think we will bring to our members," something like that rather than not have anything.

DAVID CAKE: Yeah, sure.

JOAN KERR: So that's at least one issue. Another issue is transparent ownership and continued ownership. One of the issues that arose from that

operational concern is the whole idea of privacy, right? So we can say, “Yes, we have it as an operational concern. Now we have to address the GDPR side of it,” right? So that’s the sort of thing.

DAVID CAKE:

Yeah. One longstanding issue we have is there’s a tendency within, particularly the business side of the EPDP discussion tends to say that if you’re a legal person, which by definition almost, I think we actually have in the charter, they have to be or the vast majority have to be. If you’re a legal person, there’s been an argument that you have no privacy rights.

And of course, a lot of non-profits have very significant interest in making sure that they have privacy rights and if they’re not operating commercially, I think there is a very real ongoing concern that we have in that privacy versus transparency debate that legal persons like non-profits are always at risk of being treated as commercial entities and assumed that we don’t have a strong interest in privacy where, of course, a lot of non-profits that are not there for a commercial purpose may have a very strong interest in privacy and not just simply being lumped in with commercial organizations. So that’s a talking point that we really should identify pretty strongly, I think, because it’s uniquely an NPOC issue rather than ...

JOAN KERR:

Yeah. The issue is one thing. They’re not looking for our issues, identifying issues. They’re looking for that we’ve identified the issue

and here's how we're going to communicate it to our members. That's what they're looking for which is a different thing. So we should have already identified it and what's a two-sentence talking point if someone asks. So they're not looking for us to say, "It's a broad issue." We should have done that work.

What we can say is that these are the talking points we're working on because we haven't actually voted on it. We won't have time. But if we could have something, two sentences, for maybe three issues, I think that's not a hard thing to do. And we need to have that before 4:00. And I'm happy to be with you to work it out.

DAVID CAKE: I can sort of send you through a couple and I think we should include Carlos's INGO issue but I can only hope that ...

JOAN KERR: We don't want to do anything that is not going to have to it, but we can say we are working on these. These are some of the ones that we've identified. You know? But I don't want to go into that brainstorming session not having anything.

DAVID CAKE: Yeah, sure.

JOAN KERR: Because then we have the GAC and ALAC and we're trying to, the purpose of it is not to say, "Here we are, whatever." "We've identified these. How can we support our members by informing them about these issues and create educational strategies around them?" That's what the focus is.

DAVID CAKE: Okay.

JOAN KERR: So does that make sense?

DAVID CAKE: Yeah.

JOAN KERR: Okay. So even if we just do the two.

DAVID CAKE: To an extent, some of these things, our educational focus is just going to be, "We're here. NPOC is the right place for this sort of organization to work," and a lot of them don't know. INGO, I think the idea is that they simply don't know that there's a good place within ICANN for them to have a home and organize and identify specific INGO positions.

JOAN KERR: I did create a Google Doc identifying the priorities and the talking points and I don't have my computer with me, so having it written is fine. But it's elevator speech I guess I'm looking for.

So are you able to do that today?

DAVID CAKE: Yeah.

JOAN KERR: Okay. Do you know what time you'll have it done?

DAVID CAKE: No.

JOAN KERR: Okay, because we kind of have to review it before we go into that meeting, right? So I would like to be reviewing it at 4:00 so it's better to receive it at 3:00. How's that?

DAVID CAKE: Certainly.

JOAN KERR: Okay. That's the best we can do. So the second part of that brainstorming session is our marketing strategies and outreach which is also on the document. And that's the most important, that if we can really build what we're going to do, we're talking about all the things

that you're talking about, Juan, the guide, updating it, translating it, the postcards. So what we want to say is that the messaging, innately, is that there are large and small civil society organizations so we need to reach them on different levels, for example.

But I think the biggest marketing strategy we have is the leadership development or the regional leadership development where we can work with our member organizations to start to develop their local regions, right? I think that's the message I would like to send out today at that session. So we can work on that as well.

So we only have 15 minutes for both. But 15 minutes is a long time when you don't have anything to say. It's a short time when you have lots to say. You know what I mean? So all right.

What time is it?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: 11:18.

JOAN KERR: And we're supposed to be finished at 11:30. No, 12. Okay, sorry. Did you say something?

All right, so as Ore mentioned, we sent out an invite to have a Crop Coordinator and we did receive responses and chose a coordinator so we're happy about that.

How does everybody feel about inviting the coordinator to come and give us an update at each of our EC meetings so that we're always on top of it? Is everybody okay with that?

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah, I'm okay.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yeah, I think it's fine.

JOAN KERR: See, that way we know if the trips are coming up because more and more, as we see in Canada, the Visa issue is huge. So we want to make sure that NPOC has our paperwork in helping on our side what we can do anyway. And working with a coordinator, I think that would be a good way.

DAVID CAKE: Like 37% of fellows had problems with Visas this time. That's ridiculous and I think a lot of them didn't get a lot of support from ICANN either. And I mean, mostly African would be the reality of it.

JOAN KERR: Yeah, you're right. It's interesting because a lot of Africans and Indians as well. So I tried to identify what was exactly the issues because I also work with another organization that does humanitarian conferences and when we do them in Canada, we've never had such a high

percentage. There's always one or two. For the hundreds of people that come – it's not thousands like ICANN – but it's hundreds so 600-700 people and what was the issue?

So some of the issues that were identified, I think ICANN was partly to blame. But what I heard was that many of the – and I have no way of proving this because I'm only trying to identify what was the issue – was that some people didn't complete their applications correctly and once you do that, Canada is very bureaucratic. So it's still ICANN's responsibility to help, I think, in that sense.

DAVID CAKE:

In the past, ICANN has employed a Visa agency to help people and they clearly did not do this.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

No. I had the [inaudible] for this organization. But in this case, they were very slow because it was I had the interview for my Visa in September and I had the answer almost middle of October. In 15 October, I had the answer about the Visa issue, the Visa [inaudible]. So it was too slow to help in those processes, even to check if the form, it was correctly filled. So I think that in this case, the organization, [inaudible], it was very, very slow to help us in this topic.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Even in Kobe, they were engaged in Kobe so they were actually helping me. But they were really, really slow. So after a while, I just did all the research and the preparation myself so they weren't very helpful.

No, the Visa agency company, [Nealon] Chase. Yeah.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Hello, everyone.

JOAN KERR: Go ahead, Caleb.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah. So speaking of the Visa issues, I basically think that it was strongly an issue that ICANN didn't take very seriously until when there was the first batch of rejection. ICANN didn't really put too much energy into it.

Okay, I will give you a clear example why it's not a case of people not filling the applications completely or very well. [Inaudible]'s wife, I'm sorry, [Remi Wiki] himself and the wife put [inaudible] the application because they got ATLAS fellowship. Now at the end of it, the wife was selected and is actually not selected or is not getting the Visa.

On my own part, after I sent several e-mails for a really long time, I just got the feedback that my own Visa application is currently in the UK office while it's the Nairobi office that's supposed to be treating my own Visa application.

So I think the Canadian operators are a bit confused about how these things are going. They rejected the first Visa. I applied the next day after rejection and I just got the feedback just yesterday. And most people were already close to the airport before they got their own approval given to them.

Meanwhile, [Remi's] wife submitted as she didn't get a Visa even as I speak. While somebody went to the Embassy, got a Visa in less than 15 minutes with the same notification that they both got. So it's a crazy thing and I think ICANN didn't step in on time. So I think if the [S-COM] or other ICANN community members are going to speak, they should just emphasize strongly that if there is no Visa on [inaudible] for people because even the stress, I'm going to travel a long distance to go and apply for a Visa and then get rejected or I can understand what I'm saying given that I have to travel some number of hours to get to [inaudible] where she actually resides and then go to the Visa application center to apply, it's stressful. Very stressful and traumatizing when it comes to the emotional part when you get rejections. So they should please communicate that effectively very well to ICANN during any public meeting.

JOAN KERR:

Yeah. So what we should do, what we can do, Caleb, is perhaps you and I can prepare a document on some of the difficulties that you faced and we'll ask other people. Before this meeting started, I was in where coffee was being served and someone else mentioned to me that they had some difficulty. She did receive her Visa eventually. But she was

saying it's very hard to pay for the Visa because you have to pay out the money first. Travel is a cost and she had to stay overnight somewhere else. So these are costs that she had to endure and she still hasn't gotten her money. So that's a difficulty as well. There should be some way that people like that can receive some money beforehand. I don't know how that could work and we can't make that decision but that may be something that we can highlight as an interesting issue.

CALEB OGUNDELE:

Yeah. I think I shared that case study when it comes to the Kobe meeting. I have not gotten my refund for the flight that I traveled to the capital city from my location to go. I have not gotten a refund for that even as I speak. So I just gave up.

Then all this emotional stress that one has to pass through from one developing country where you don't get support for these kind of things but you have to make sure for you to participate, you have to put in all your best and give in all that you can. Right now as I'm speaking to you, I am not speaking from my laptop because my house was burgled and my laptop was stolen and cameras, everything was stolen. Now I have to find an alternative means to make sure I am part of this meeting. So you can imagine all of the emotional stress people in developing countries pass through to make sure they are part of an ICANN meeting.

I'm only just complaining as one section of the community but then I'm sure other people are passing through this, so you should please. I will reach out to you and then I will send some people from AFRALO committee who as well passed through this stuff so you can put the

documentation together because I think they're putting up a signature or they're collecting signatures for a protest or something. I don't know. But I'll tell them to reach out to you.

JOAN KERR:

Okay, thanks. I mean, there are people that received fellowships, like someone said, who couldn't make it and that's just crazy. Like I said, I don't know where the problem lies because, like I said, I've been involved in other conferences and one of the things, I don't know, Maryam, maybe you could let me know about this. One of the things that I recommended three years ago was for ICANN to write a letter saying that this is who we are, this is where the conference is going to be, and this person, with a name, will be attending and send it to the embassies so they have a list of the possible attendees. I don't know if that was ever taken up. Do you have any?

MARYAM BAKOSHI:

No, I don't. So you might want to raise that again with Joseph.

JOAN KERR:

Okay. Yeah, because when I worked on the other conference, they looked at me like I was from another planet when I had suggested it. I said, "Well, I'm coming from the community. I'm thinking about the community," and it actually helped.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yeah. I can second that actually. I'm going for the IGF because my organization was nominated for an award and so I'm going for the award ceremony and I couldn't get a Visa appointment because they were none until next year. So I actually gone and talked to the conference organizers, asked them to get in touch with the Embassy and they did. And I was able to get an appointment and it made it very easy for me. Yeah, so I think that would actually be very helpful.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I've mentioned this to ICANN before.

DAVID CAKE: This is also, I know that when they've identified a problem with Visas for the whole of ICANN, they do something. And they did this for the India meeting. They made available an agency. But these agencies, one of the reasons where there are scarce appointments, these organizations will book up as many of them as they can and things like that. If you have an organization there who knows the system and is willing to help you.

And ICANN have already dealt with this. They just don't see it for the issues like the fellows program. They don't seem to see it as a priority, and of course, it should be if there is a huge percentage of the world that are having Visa problems and clearly, this 37% of the fellows, it should indicate this is real. This is not an occasional problem. This is a systematic and consistent big one that they really need to have a systematic approach to dealing with.

JOAN KERR: So we're agreeing that, who do we make the recommendation to if we're going to? I thought I said it in a general engagement meeting at the time. Actually, I think through ALAC because I was coming from the community point of view. You said Joseph?

DAVID CAKE: It will be Joseph who will have to implement it but we need to talk about it. I think for Joseph to do it, we need to have budget in place first and it needs to be identified as something that's part of his responsibility to deal with. I think we keep talking to Joseph about how it could be done, but as the community, we're the people who have got to advocate sort of above the level of implementation for identifying as a priority and making sure there's budget for it because Joseph's very good at dealing with travel directly but I don't think he's been given a budget to say you can authorize people to have Visa help. Or it's not a large one.

JOAN KERR: He's just doing his job. He's not a decision maker. I don't know.

DAVID CAKE: Well, exactly. And I'm sure Joseph was told, "Here's your budget to assist people who are having difficulty with Visas by giving them the assistance of a Visa agency." But he hasn't got that budget. He might be very well-placed to allocate that assistance but he's not the person who gets that. He doesn't make the budgetary decisions on his own and this should be a community-driven suggestion that there is a real crisis here.

JOAN KERR: What I find interesting is that we met with two people from African region and, “Oh, Africa is under-served.” Well, what the hell are they doing to help with this? If it’s such an issue that they’re addressing, they should have been on top of this, the regional vice presidents or whatever. The name’s nice but do some work.

OREOLUWA LESI: Is this something that we can raise at the public forum? Yeah, maybe put together statements and share our suggestions. Yeah.

JOAN KERR: So the direction then is that we are going to raise it at the public forum and write a letter to the Board. Is that the best place to send the letter?

DAVID CAKE: I mean it probably is but otherwise, unless you’re going to focus specifically on the budget sort of aspects. Though even then, I guess it could be. I don’t know that it is. You can always go for the Board and they can direct it downwards themselves.

JOAN KERR: I feel pretty strongly about this.

JUAN ROJAS: Yeah. To get some attention, we need to direct it to the Board.

DAVID CAKE: I will say we don't know the right part of the organization to do it. Well, the Board should. It may be that what actually happens is the Board gives it to the CEO and the CEO knows his own organization and he sends it to the appropriate bit to implement it.

JOAN KERR: Okay, then what I will do is find out what the appropriate and most effective way because I'm hoping we're not going to be dealing with this for Mexico. People have made the commitment to get involved. They do the trek to get their Visas. They need that support.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Mexico may be worse.

JOAN KERR: Yeah. So we start now. All right, let's move on then. So we'll work with, we were on the Crop Coordinator and so that will keep the Visa issue on the table. So Ore, if we could put Visa issues to be dealt with or do you want to put it under travel? Whichever one just so that we don't lose sight of it, okay?

All right. So Policy Committee development, we'll meet with Carlos to set up the next committee. Is that fair, David? Work with him to set up the next committee.

DAVID CAKE: Yeah. I ...

JOAN KERR: Finished yesterday or the day before.

DAVID CAKE: Not quite but I'm definitely doing stuff for the rest of the week. But obviously, Carlos will be taking over pretty soon.

JOAN KERR: But that's what I'm asking. So we meet together to sort of pass the baton and identify some of the issues and set that committee up. That's all I'm saying.

DAVID CAKE: Yeah, absolutely.

JOAN KERR: Okay, and we'll do that once Carlos is here.

DAVID CAKE: And I'll remain a part of the Policy Committee going on. I'm not going to just vanish.

JOAN KERR: Anything else anyone want to talk about? I had something else. I forgot what the hell it was.

So pressing at this moment is the next few hours to get ready for the brainstorming session. That's the next step that we have and I think we have time to do some of that work and we should be good.

And Caleb, we're going to call it a close. Do you have anything else to say? I mean, Caleb. Is Carlos on the line, by the way?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Nothing. Thank you very much. Highly productive meeting.

JOAN KERR: Okay, great. Anyone else?

OREOLUWA LESI: No.

JOAN KERR: Okay. So if that is the case, then I'll call this meeting to an end. Thank you. Thank you, everyone. Thanks, Maryam.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]