

**Transcription ICANN61 San Juan
NPOC ExCom Meeting
Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 10:30 AST**

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Joan Kerr: Good morning everyone. Thank you for coming. We've got - my name is Joan Kerr and this is the NPOC ExCom meeting at ICANN 61. We have Ganga Panday at 1:00, Juan Manuel Rojas and Raoul Plummer...

Raoul Plommer: (Unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: ...from the EC present and I haven't looked online. And staff we've got Ozan with us as well. So I'm just going to try to organize here. Can I move this or (unintelligible) that's better because it's a bit -- all right great. So I did send the agenda before. There we are. All right. If we could just bypass the actions from the last meeting if that's okay with everyone because this was a meeting two weeks after the last. So we'll catch up with those in April if that's all right.

And so let's go to – unless there are any issues that we need to deal with particularly from the planning session that we had a few days ago. We didn't adequately cover some of the Web sites architecture issues. We just mentioned it. But you have a suggestion from that if you - Juan maybe you want to talk a little bit about that.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Good morning everyone. I'm Juan Manuel Rojas for the record. Yes the updated here is like we are having a new person who want to collaborate on that. It's like to do the architecture thing and maybe the development in the Web site. It's like a newcomer for our constituency. It's a girl that he developed for Mozilla foundation. And he has knowledge and maybe he was -

he's – she's interested and to help us develop organize our Web site. So I think it would be a good thing to have her doing this with the support of all of us of course.

Joan Kerr: So is she a designer or actual – like we have to give her the content obviously but I mean that's the next step that we have to do is actually develop our Web site. So would she do that design of the architecture design of the actual Web site or is it the same thing?

Juan Manuel Rojas: As far as I have talked with her I know that she's a developer more than a designer. But maybe I can ask her what experience she has in design of Web sites because she was asking about architectural information that we have that if we already have all the content and we – I said that okay we have it but we are updating it because we are really updating some content. So maybe I haven't talking with her about what part exactly but I will do and I could report to you in our next meeting.

Joan Kerr: So can I ask you and Raoul since you've been working on the Web site what's her name?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Her name is (Gloria Mineses).

Joan Kerr: (Gloria)?

Juan Manuel Rojas: (Gloria) right.

Joan Kerr: So if the three of you could sort of work together and have a report for the April meeting then of suggestions of what we're going to do in that time I'll find out about the finances and funding that's available for the Web site for that meeting as well. So that's an action for April's meeting?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Juan Manuel Rojas: So – we can go to Panama then if there are no other questions. Do we have any online? Is Poncelet online or...

Raoul Plommer: No he's not Joan.

Joan Kerr: Okay all right. Okay so let's go to Panama then. That's an events because I'd really like to start getting to a habit of - the previous meeting to start to plan the next meeting. We know that Panama is a – full of not-for-profits. It's got actually the city of knowledge there are so many organizations that are headquartered there. They're not necessarily there but obviously it's an American thing.

So NCUC would like to do another outreach event with us. So we have a couple of choices. We've got NCUC as a joint outreach. We also have ALAC that we're talking to. And so you may want to expand on that Juan and also other constituencies that want to do some joint outreach starting with Panama but not ending with Panama.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes this is Juan also again sorry. It's – yes we were talking about with this joint proposal with ALAC exactly with (Olivier). And the proposal it - like to have one session joint between - initially the proposal is to be between NPOC and At-Large and but we are now discussing it. We are going to do it between NPOC and At-Large or NCSG and At-Large. So that's the thing that we should check because we want a session just for us with ALAC or we are doing with NCSG part of it. So that's the proposal I think that should you – we should to decide how want to make it.

Joan Kerr: Great. So we will start to plan that with them then. And if that's okay I go ahead and speak with NCUC and ALAC to plan that and bring out to April meeting as well. Does that sound good?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes.

Joan Kerr: Okay so that's an action for me ALAC, NCUC outreach, great. And so this is not on the actual agenda but I'd really like to start thinking about this and start planning on this funding not just through ICANN but sponsorship through other sources. I'm going to make some calls and I think that we should start to put that on our agenda looking at funding for our events and also collaborating with funders to see if we can do joint sponsorship and outreach events as well. I think that we need to go there. So is that all right if I go ahead and talk to – I mean Panama is the perfect opportunity to start that conversation because it's so full of not-for-profits. So if that's okay I'll start.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes it's okay. I think that if we could too get involved the not-for-profit with projects that involve inter-governance issues we will be doing a lot of – a lot of impact in their communities also if not just like a hardest to think about it to understand. But we have – we will have also an impact in there so I think it would be good to do that.

Joan Kerr: Okay great, so we'll proceed with that. We'll do a planning document for that sure. Go ahead.

Juan Manuel Rojas: You just in the presentation of this topic you said that there are another constituencies in interested to - into maybe to planning joint session with us. There any information what constituencies are and maybe we can plan what of them or maybe for Panama or afterwards.

Joan Kerr: Yes they were just conversations so I don't really want to say what they are because they may not going to further. It was something of, you know, sort of like oh it would be nice to do. We had the same issues but we have to identify what those issues are and if they're in conflicts first of all. So I, you know, I prefer to have that conversation and see if they were in conflict first because I don't really want to have a joint outreach meeting with somebody - with an organization that's not sort of doing the same messaging right?

So I'll just continue with that and see where it goes. And also I don't want to be put NPOC or NCSG in a position where it's now I have to explain why they're working with - you know what I mean? So I'll just continue and report on that in April.

Juan Manuel Rojas: And I'm sorry, Juan for the record. We also have news for our membership for Panama also. I can do it right now or maybe a little later.

Joan Kerr: Well talk about Panama.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Okay that's - we will have a regional fellowship for Panama. It's precisely this girl (Gloria Mineses) we were talking about just before. She were going to Panama (sic). She will be going to Panama with us as original fellowship inside of Fellowship program for Panama meetings. So we are going to meet her there for all of you. And she can – could be more involved with us from there.

So it's like - I think it's a good, very good news. And this is - was par for Latin American strategy for outreach and to income engagement from civil society and other organizations so it's very good news for NPOC because it was through us that I was recommendation that it could be possible.

Joan Kerr: Go ahead Raoul.

Raoul Plommer: Just one thing bringing to mind for - about Panama is that but I think Tapani is interested to come there and I guess you could be again checking up with Glen no? I mean...

Joan Kerr: For?

Raoul Plommer: In Panama I mean in the hotel.

Joan Kerr: What did you say?

Raoul Plommer: Check (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Oh.

Raoul Plommer: No is that the wrong term?

Joan Kerr: All right well...

((Crosstalk))

Raoul Plommer: I mean living with him. That's all I meant. Yes?

Joan Kerr: Sharing a room.

Raoul Plommer: Okay, okay. And I was thinking that if we can use that room for Juan we could like try to get a little money for his trip from Columbia because that won't be that expensive at all. And it's right in the next country. It's we're talking \$100 flight or something.

Joan Kerr: (Unintelligible).

Raoul Plommer: Yes well okay my trouble is always basically that instead of using a travel slot for you we'll use Joan's room and NPOC would be paying for your flight. So then we can use the slot for Tapani for example. Yes that's just to get that one more person in there. And if it's a cost of \$100 or \$150 that's like peanuts.

Joan Kerr: So we would have to find out if other EC members are able to go to Panama first because that's how we've designed it is that EC members have first choice...

Raoul Plommer: Right.

Joan Kerr: ...and then it goes to who's been involved. So that's how we have to do it. So the next thing so we can talk about how that can happen. I just wanted to go back to (Gloria)'s placement in Panama. So you wanted to do announcement for NPOC that we have this because I think this is a good positive announcement to the membership. If I could ask if you have a first announcement we can look at it and yes announce it but make sure that we're always using our branding like the logo and the banners because we want to make sure that we're starting to brand the – yes, yes. So that's the only thing I have to say.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes actually I don't know if we can do it because it just that may be that the new banner and the new logo would be setting for all of us in that - okay I wrote – I write - I'm sorry, I write a mail and I put it the banner and logo. But I would like to that everyone from ExCom write in a mail also had that banner of a logo so we - that the – we having to put in there inside a text of the mail. But I don't know that can be a setting configurated to do that in our mailing list to - for the - maybe for the ExCom members. That's what - with just one configuration this. Every mail that maybe you send or Raoul send or everyone from Mexico send had already when before our banner and logo put in their - in the text of the mailing.

Joan Kerr: Yes we were doing that before with the old one and when the new one came in we didn't do that. And I'm like we're supposed to do that. So I don't know if we have a banner for the email. We have a big better so do we need to make it smaller or...

Juan Manuel Rojas: No I think that we could cut a little bit. It's not - it has air from the heads of the people head so we can make it thinner from the same picture I think.

Joan Kerr: So and then the other thing is where are those banners the high resolution logo and banners where are they stored?

Juan Manuel Rojas: I have some banners but it's like I have only GPG - JPG and PNG banners and one PDF but it's not a hybrid solution. So I have act to communications but there's no any logo on banners, just that. So it's difficult to use it because they always have a white background and sometimes I need it without that background and that's just possible in hybrid solution or without background images.

Joan Kerr: Okay so can we ask you to ask them because we should have it on the Trello so any people can access it and we should know where to find because I was asked for the - a high-resolution banner for the booklet and it became like a job in itself. And I'm like why do we have to ask for it? Why it's not given to us. We need to have it for the ExCom, the next one and the next one. It's there for the – and you shouldn't be asking staff for it all the time. I find it's really infuriating, you know? I just want to go and say, "Here is the graphic." So can I ask you then to ask staff for one with transparency, a PNG high-resolution so we can have it for the ExCom?

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes I will do again because I haven't asked from the beginning of the first logo goes out. But I haven't a - any - another answer that okay does that – your logos and PDF or JPG on PNG and no more? So I will ask again and again and again and again if necessary.

Joan Kerr: No just ask once. If you don't get a response I will ask.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Okay.

Joan Kerr: Okay, not a full-time job so sorry it's – it infuriates me when I have to ask about something twice when it should be readily available. All right so I think we're good with Panama. We have a go forward plan to for some information with the different groups for outreach. We're going to – well explore some funding opportunities.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes we have new material right, the booklet and this flyer. So are we going to print more for Panama or the same or we are going to make any change for those to be ready for Panama in a huge scale because we've here is to like a tiny show to know and maybe to check on something like that.

Joan Kerr: Yes so the material that we ordered it was 50 flyers and 15 booklets in anticipation that there may be some changes by the time Panama came around some editing. So we may have to - we'll do some edits. We're going to look at it if - it may not need it but we would definitely order more for Panama.

Juan Manuel Rojas: I was thinking that there were 50, not 15.

Joan Kerr: No it's one five for the booklets...

Juan Manuel Rojas: Wow.

Joan Kerr: ...50 for the flyers.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Okay.

Joan Kerr: And we had agreed on that. Okay next, elections. That's one of my tasks is to oversee the elections as everyone know. There's notifications that have to go out so many days. Then the nomination process begins. So the notification goes out to make which I will do in the next couple of weeks. I always do it in lots of time -- way more than is required so that we don't come under criticism obviously to apprise people that this is happening, that the members have an opportunity to make sure that they become active members that is that they have to do a check in.

Secondly to consider running we hope that there's people that want to run and that there's not just one person -- that would be fantastic -- and also for the EC to consider if they want to continue as well. So I will be -- what I did in

the last two elections or maybe three is I sent out information just to not the process but just to say that it's coming so that it was on the top of people's radar that it was coming and then sent out the notification. So I just thought that was a great way to do it.

So we do have more members this time so hopefully there are a couple of people that are considering to if not coming on the EC at least being part of helping us to represent NPOC on some of the policy or PDP groups. So whether or not they've come on the EC they will also become part of the working groups. And I think that's a good start.

Anyway I mean we're building slowly and I just want to say that we are actually getting a lot of recognition for becoming very organized so just so you guys know that people come to me and say that so I think I pass it on. So that's for the elections.

Man: (Unintelligible)?

Joan Kerr: The elections? Well the actual voting is in June. So usually we have the – and the term, your terms actually end in October. It doesn't end in June because we had an overlap last time so give it some thought. And we are still under the old charters rules.

Juan Manuel Rojas: One question about election when the announcement must be released for election and for that running positions on the first announcement are released?

Joan Kerr: Well what - it's 60 days before the actual voting. And I - like I said a pre-notification I sent out the timelines so people actually see the timeline. And then I sent out the notification so the - there's no excuse for anyone. You know, so I'm sort of like people to know what's going on. All right any activities anybody on any groups? There is probably no reporting today

anyway. And I just want to say that other than Poncelet you guys haven't done a written report but can we start it in April please? Yes?

Raoul Plommer: Yes.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Yes.

Joan Kerr: It doesn't have to be comprehensive just so that it's on record. What we want to do is especially since we have Trello is I mean we've been doing some significant work. And I think we need to now let our members know that we are actually doing a lot of work. And even if it's designing and conceptualizing it's still work.

So I think going forward more than say before starting in April, you know, those representations on different groups because hopefully the charter will be in place and those hours will disappear for the charter and then we can go into the policy and working group stuff. So I think that our members need to know that that's what we've been doing. So all right so we'll bypass those.

I guess Poncelet hasn't submitted any comments for review so we'll ask him for that. It's sort of a – he's religious so this is probably not a good day to have a EC meeting in respect. So it was scheduled today not by me but I thought some people are religious right? It's kind of crazy to ask of them to participate. I don't know I'm not religious but I do respect people who are. All right Ganga any new members? What's our count?

Gangadhar Panday: This is Ganga for the record. The last time we are reviewed after that no new applications.

Joan Kerr: Like zero? There were no – none that were in review or anything like that?

Gangadhar Panday: No. Well whatever we received we approved no? So now - as of now we don't have any pending application.

Joan Kerr: And so the total number of members?

Gangadhar Panday: Eighty-six.

Joan Kerr: We're 86 so we're 83 before.

Gangadhar Panday: I believe you (pro-rated) it no? After that we are not receiving applications.

Joan Kerr: I don't understand. We had 83 before and we have 86 now.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: So we have three new members. I didn't get notification nor have I sent out welcome to those three new members.

Gangadhar Panday: Okay.

Joan Kerr: I - so do we have three new members?

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: I - okay. I didn't get notification of those three new members and so no welcome has been sent out to them.

Gangadhar Panday: No, not send any welcome note to them.

Joan Kerr: Okay this is not good. We have to send out welcome to our members. You haven't done it. I've been doing it for the last six months but it's definitely not something that should be happening. It shouldn't be dropping through the cracks at all. The very least we can do is welcome our new members -- the

very least. It's bad enough that we're not even informing them of other things which we should be doing but that's a basic thing that we should be doing.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: So how did it fall through the cracks then?

Gangadhar Panday: No I have been sending the welcome note regularly and I didn't do it, no. I'll check and get back.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So the new members send them to me and I will send them in...

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: ...please as soon as possible. But we need to do that every month okay?

Gangadhar Panday: Yes as it happens.

Joan Kerr: And in addition to that we need to have a count of how many members because that's something that we can also announce every month. We've got new members...

Gangadhar Panday: Oh.

Joan Kerr: ...on the Web site. But we need to start to integrate. The talking is gone. We need to now do this stuff going forward. The explanation before is that we were trying to organize, not trying to. We are organizing and we're doing the charter but those are as of today. I think we have a wrap on those things so I think we're - we have to go forward in doing what we're supposed to do. And it basically starts with our membership okay? So...

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: ...all right. Any reports that we should be aware of from anyone so far? You want to do a quick thing on the charter?

Raoul Plommer: Okay the charter review is now faring well. I'm hopefully not optimistic...

Joan Kerr: Say your name.

Raoul Plommer: Well Raoul for the record. Where was I? Yes I hope I'm not optimistic in saying that we will finish the charter here. We - we're getting a little help from (John) who is going to arrange the – or restructure the charter's sections and I think we've basically done about half of the sort of cross referencing the old charter with the new one to find out if we're missing something from the new one that we had in the old charter. And I think we got a decent structure for that now. So yes I hope I'm not optimistic in saying that we are going to finish that here.

Joan Kerr: Great. Well I'm optimistic that a lot of the content will be done anyway. I think we're – it's - I think it's a pretty good document. We just need to sort of final edits and make sure it aligns and hopefully that (John) will help us with some of that. But I think the content is there and I don't know, I really think that we'll get a lot of it done here but I'm always optimistic.

So just in quick things about the financial. I'm not even going to go to the tracking of the Skype because it has not been done in six months. I do over – look at it to see if there's anything particularly that we should bring attention to. And I think I've done as much as I can in terms of making sure that all of those things are addressed.

One thing I did find that was an objection was that (Olivier) said that, you know, Internet was an issue for him. But I see him on Skype all the time so I don't know how that's an issue. So I have to talk to him about that. It's very frustrating for me right now with that.

The financial update there was no movement on that in terms of staff or Sam so I took it on myself to – because I would like it resolved. I think we all do. And I contacted Rudi which – and he took my call right away and said that he would - he was very sick when I was talking to him and so he said that he would between Friday and Monday that he would proceed with the transfer.

I did ask him to please check if he needed anything from us. There - he said no. Actually I can go to the conversation. He said there was no – nothing he needed from us to do the transfer so I'm not quite sure – see what he actually said.

So I asked him, "Do you need anything else from me? I would like to close this issue. I had a sense your - had incorrect information." And he says, "I'll check tomorrow all information I have and check on Friday to - if it's correct." So he said by Friday if he checked it and didn't get it he would go forward on Monday.

So that's - he may not have checked it but hopefully on Monday we can hear from him and then we can hopefully by April can close it. But if that's okay with everyone I know we passed it to other people but I'm just going to try to do it myself and get it done because we need to get that issue closed and then do a financial report after that.

All right as I said we don't have a policy statement to review. Anyone is aware of any policies that we should be making our members aware of right now that there's been a few yes, policy statements, policy commitments. We should start to have those in our meeting so that we can look at them, go to them starting in April. I will be putting that on the agenda.

Gangadhar Panday: Okay. I can help with that. I am following – I know you all are too but I am part of – as part of policy committee from NCSG I have all the draft (up nit) from NCSG. Right now I am just involving me in key in KSK rollover comment. And we have another comment opened just ahead. Let me check

to - what our date to mention it. But I think that we - has been really active in these comments that are open not - at least at the end of the last year we were very active there.

And we have now to Poncelet in (been housing) one. And I am working on another one that is KSK rollover and that as a comment because in working group there is a PDP I - are we are - we have Raoul and I we are in RDS. And I am also involved in subsequent procedures WT5. And that I think that kind of stuff that are going to give us a really panorama in general view about what is happened there. And I think that the KSK rollover a topic like that it's related with cyber security that we identify it as a NPOC focus should be. So I think that it's we are starting their so we need just to I think to get more engagement from our members to also be part of that comment process.

Joan Kerr: So what we should be doing is creating like a card, like an email card that we can send to our members. Then we can work on that for April, you know, the – and send it out to them. This is the background of issues. And it's one or two like a high level background and links to it and ask them to comment.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes I did once...

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Gangadhar Panday: ...before. Okay yes I can do that if of course Poncelet doesn't do because of course he's the policy chair. But he if not available to do that (sic) I think he could to communicate it to me and I can do that.

Joan Kerr: Okay so maybe what if you and Poncelet could work that out. So there's two things. One if Poncelet could maybe focus on writing our comments as NPOC to send to us and he concentrates on that and you concentrate on the information for the members and then so we know who to go to for – and so talk to him about that and then I can ask you who, what, you know, what do

we need to send out to the members. And then he works on the comments from NPOC. I think that would be a good job since you're both on the PC.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes there - and I have the public comment open right now that we are public on NCSG that we have ICANN reserve fund proposed replenishment strategy. We have draft project plan for the proposed name collision analysis project. We have on for a board member integrity screen process. We have also draft procedure for community gTLD change request where that is where Poncelet is a pen holder, one of the pen holders and where I am involved is plan to restart the root key, sign key KSK rollover process. So that's our open it right now in - as a comment and some of them there have any volunteer yet such as ICANN reserve fund and uniform board member integrity. So maybe we can check if we are relevant for us from our perspective or even for our members maybe we can join to do some comments on there or maybe just that passed.

Joan Kerr: So we've identified the four subjects right? So I think we should start with those. Any policies that addresses the four subject matters that we've identified that's what we start with. And later we can expand. I'm not saying - and personally anybody can do anything but if we can identify the policies relating to those four subjects, comment on them from NPOC and then send it out to the members then at least we're solidifying what our responsibility right?

And then we can also have links to things that may be of interest to our members so I can have those - these may be of interest you know like when you buy on Amazon or something these may be of interest so that they're informed that there are other issues as well but that we focus on the ones that we're responsible for. I think that's - what does everybody think? Is that a good way? Yes.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes agree.

Joan Kerr: Next budgets, working groups. Oh did anybody comment on the budgets or any of the working group representations that they want to address? No Hi (Paul). All right any other business that we should be looking at?

Well the biggest thing for me right now is going forward is to try to close the financial issue creating the plan for the next six months anyway the elections and getting the policy statements started involving our members like intents and completing the charter. I think if by October those things are done I would say thank heavens. So it's - I think it's doable all those things so that's just me. All right well I'm done. If anybody else has anything?

And I'm – we can go back to that other meeting. There is a half an hour left in case everybody wants to go to that GNSO strategic because we should be there for the action part of it so if we have nothing else to discuss let's close this meeting and go to the – to finish it.

And I just wanted to say Ganga you were not kicked out of the meeting. You went to the wrong meeting which is a closed meeting so yes it was a closed meeting. That was a policy training that was specifically for the people that were there. So – because I didn't see you in the room and that's why I asked you where were you it was – that was the wrong meeting okay? So if everybody's okay let's go to that meeting and be part of a solution that will help us with our strategic plan too because we know where they're going okay? So I'd like to call this meeting to a close.

END