

**Transcription ICANN62 Panama  
GNSO: NPOC ExCom Meeting  
Thursday, 28 June 2018 13:30 EST**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Joan Kerr: Hello, everyone. Welcome. We're about to start. Do we have to do roll call?  
Go ahead.

Okay, great. So welcome, everyone. I've sent an agenda. I hope everyone has the agenda. But it will be on the Adobe in one second.

Any changes, adjustments or suggestions for the agenda?

We're good? All right. I'm going to go to my - can you upload the agenda, please? There we are. All right.

So do we want to quickly just - sorry, I - hi.

Man: (Unintelligible).

Emerson Duran: Okay. Emerson Duran from Orinoco TIC. We're seeing the site busier.  
Newcomer?

Woman: From Colombia.

Emerson Duran: From Colombia.

Woman: I remember...

Woman: Yes.

Emerson Duran: Yes. Right.

((Crosstalk))

Emerson Duran: Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Thank you. Okay. So I'm just going to go quickly around the table then so that everybody can introduce themselves. We set that. So I'm Joan Kerr, Chair of NPOC.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Juan Manuel Rojas, Communication Chair.

Gloria Meneses: Gloria Meneses from (unintelligible) Colombia.

Remmy Nweke: Okay. Remmy Nweke, (unintelligible). Thank you.

Man: (Unintelligible).

Martin Silva: Martin Silva, GNSO Councilor for NPOC.

Ioana Stupariu: Ioana Stupariu, Romania, newcomer.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: Dina Solveig, (Second ESS) (unintelligible) NPOC.

Raoul Plommer: Raoul Plommer, the Vice Chair of NPOC.

Tapani Tarvainen: Tapani Tarvainen, (SOI) representative in NPOC.

Joan Kerr: So welcome, everyone. I just want to say that our family is growing. And so we're quite excited that we have as many people here.

So we're going to go quickly through the agenda so that we can get to talking about forming our committees and a way forward for some of the initiatives that we have since we're in the middle of an election. Or actually at the tail end of an election.

Might I suggest that we - we had decided as executive committee that we would make some notes for any of the sessions that we go to attend so that if we can correlate some of those notes later and put them on the Web site next week -- because we obviously won't get them done for now -- that there's some reporting of what we've done and what we've learned.

So some of the things that really were substantial that we attended was the GDPR sessions, the expedited PDP charter work, the temporary specification and, of course, the multi-stakeholder strategic initiatives which I don't know if we learned anything on that one but - however, we can still make some comments on that.

So if I could just ask everyone to commit to at least - I will actually start a Google Doc so that we can put our notes and then we can all sort of contribute to it since we did not write individual notes. Is that okay?

Man: You're going to send the doc or you're going to send it?

Joan Kerr: I am going to send it.

Man: Okay.

Joan Kerr: Great. Thanks. So I will actually send that - if it's not tonight, it will be in the morning so that we can just capture that information, okay?

We just came from a meeting for the SO/AC leaders and one of the things that they're looking at is a three-year plan for going forward for some of the meetings. And of course, we have to take that into consideration and we're looking at our leadership engagements.

One of the things that we had, as an ExCom, talked about was, you know, having this regional leadership and really engaging different leaders in different areas. And so I think that we will continue with that. But most important is identifying those regional experts that can help us with any issues that's on the table to help NPOC as a whole to be involved in the policy development process and especially our priority areas.

The other thing that's on the table that we will have to really address quite quickly is the Web site, renewing the dot-org and paying for the whole string and that probably has to be done as quickly as possible. Martin?

Martin Silva: Yes. I'm the current owner or at least registrant of the domain name. I was - I received it after the previous leadership stepped out. You know, I just, I'd say, helped current leadership to keep the domain name alive. I can renew it with no problem and we can sort it out afterwards how we manage the extra funds or whatever.

Joan Kerr: And so it's due in a week or so, right?

Martin Silva: Yes, yes. As long - I haven't checked the price for the renewal. But as long as it's not something absolutely insane like \$1000, I can take it.

Joan Kerr: Is it possible for you to at least to renew -- we can worry about invoice -- just so that it gets done because there's a transition period right now? Is that all right? Just so that we secure it.

Martin Silva: Yes. (Unintelligible) something that is absolutely insanely impossible to do, I'll do it. I'll check now actually.

Joan Kerr: Okay. Great. Thank you very much. So I'm going to just write that for temporary that you're looking after that but then put it maybe the next meeting we can deal with it and reimburse you.

Man: Can I add something?

Joan Kerr: Yes, go ahead.

Man: Yes. If we could do that for the next five years on one because I think it will still be under \$100, like, maybe just \$50.

Martin Silva: Let me see the prices. If everything fits and my credit card is not scary a bit, I'll do it.

Joan Kerr: Great, thank you.

Man: Thank you.

Joan Kerr: So we also, on the Web site, it's not just about renewing the name. It's also about the redesign. So we're going to reissue the terms and conditions and ask anyone that - anyone knows to suggest people. We're also going to put it, as (Miriam) suggested, on 99designs and get some input into - yes, into a design. So again, we have to do that because we want to update our Web site and we have specific things that we want the Web site to have, such as members being able to update their profile, committee forums, social media activities and, for sure, a comprehensive policy comment section and directions for members. So we will continue that. Martin?

Martin Silva: Just to remind you, we do have a document that is almost 20 pages long with summarized information of NPOC and GNSO and (unintelligible) and this had - there is repository. Of course, it's an ongoing document and it hasn't been touched for at least six months. We should try to use that again. That will - and use that for content because of the way it's written.

So maybe just review it, see if it's appropriate and we can just, you know, take it out from there. And we can use also - just to remind that we have that repository of information already. I even used a voice of NGOs in trying to explain things. So examples are things are very normal to the operational concerns of an NGO. Just that detail for when you plan ahead on the NPOC content.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Thanks, Martin. Yes. This is Juan for the record. Yes, we are talking the same - thinking in the same line because all onboarding materials, I think, we were using as the basis to the content of our Web site because it's very clear. And of course, we are uploading our materials as a beginner guide and our flyer in PDF format and all the new material that you are suggesting. So that's perfect that - in the line that we are thinking about.

Joan Kerr: Great. And where is that document, Martin?

Martin Silva: I think you are copied in the e-mail I sent to the onboarding team. I think you were in - but in any case, I can submit again to everyone.

Joan Kerr: No, no, I have it. Thanks. I just want to make sure that was it, so I don't go searching for something else.

All right. So speaking of onboarding, actually I want to say that NPOC had actually come up with a mentorship and ambassador program pre the onboarding program. And so we participated in the onboarding but now it's our chance to continue with the onboarding. We have - obviously, there's no

onboarding program but to continue with how do we engage new people, educate them and get them involved, I think, is the actual intent.

So we will have to work with our two committees, the Communications and Membership, to continue with that and make sure that we develop it and not let it go because it was quite valuable in terms of information and the toolkit that was developed. So let's not get those lost at all.

And it will be really great to have something called NPOC ambassadors. What do you guys think? I think it looks - it sounds really great, you know? Everybody likes a good news and we may as well have them.

So we have lots to do, lots of exciting work but I think that we're building a really great team to do it.

I just want to talk a little bit about - anybody else has anything to say? We're good? Yes. If I ignore you, please just make a noise and I'll - it's all about being egalitarian here.

Collaborations and sponsorship. We are talking to several people about how do we work together, how do we engage the community, not just NPOC members but civil society as a whole, and get the message of the DNS out there and ICANN.

And we've had some really, really positive conversations. They are discussions at the moment and - but to be continued in the next few months to formalize them. So nothing formal but definitely a lot of excitement and interest to work with NPOC and some directions on some of the areas that we can focus on and perhaps get some funding, so - outside of just ICANN. So I think that's a pretty good leap forward.

So any questions or suggestions about collaboration? Yes, go ahead.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: Jalkanen, Dina for the record. So I'll move closer to the microphone.

I gave the funding idea some serious thoughts and as not-for-profit organizational concern, we have very real (unintelligible) of having solid outside funding, which is noncommercial, and the funding reach we can, in my opinion, use for the following purposes.

One would be participation material for the NGOs, such as newsletter, something printed, for instance, (unintelligible). Another one, to provide technical guidelines or information and the direction, for instance, what can you ask your ISP if a disaster strikes and quite (unintelligible) operate on these conditions, what do you do? Because think about it, you know, the main is e-mail and there's a lot of resources and especially updates and ask your ISP how is the routine, what are the questions we can ask and where these questions within ICANN can be looked up.

And the last very solid part of funding is sourcing experts' help for capacity building, especially policy-wise, talking to the technical organizations, talking to, for instance, the (unintelligible) family, talking to the open technology fund and seeing - hearing the organizations which are part of NPOC.

But as I seek to approach it and to have good funding application, we - before that, we have to have excellent Web site which I see is also quite far along. And in addition to that, we have to have efficient operating policy committee. So this is what we are here to do to work on DNS policy.

So I suggest that all ideas we have we put in some kind of a timeline. So when we are in a good place and we have an excellent professional set-up, we can reach out seriously for funding and we have a very good idea of what we are offering to the NGOs on a very high level policy. Thank you.



Joan Kerr: Great. Those are great ideas. You see how ideas come together when you try to get organized. And so one of the things I haven't talked about very quickly and maybe you want to talk about - a little bit about your - I know you're outgoing but some of the initiatives. And you can put this in the document but very quickly talk about the social media strategy that you've done.

Juan Manuel Rojas: Actually Juan for the record again. Okay, we are - first, we are gathering people who is interested in being part of this social media team for - starting to draft social media strategy.

So by now, we have the interest for Ioana. And also I think (Philippe) is interested in this. And we are going to draft this strategy. But it's just - in this particular case, currently, we are just giving ideas but nothing formally, just a draft to start to work.

Joan Kerr: And you've involved Caleb in those discussions, right? Or have you?

Caleb Ogundele: Yes. We are inviting teams and we are inviting all of you if you want to join in us to create our social media strategy and be part - being part of this social media team.

Joan Kerr: Great. Great. Caleb, did you want to say anything? No, you're good? Okay, thank you.

All right. So it's important that as we get organized that we also tell the community what we're doing because that is really important. You know, it's great to have a Web site. It's great to be doing things. But if your members don't know what you're doing and if the community at large doesn't know what you're doing so that it's very important to sort of coordinate it all.

Did you want to say anything quickly about the charter? Any timelines or anything like that, Raoul?

Raoul Plommer: Well, we had members meeting. We had a little update on that. So we basically handed it over to Jon Moore, who is looking at our charter, basically just doing reorganizing of it, not re-adding content there. We might have one or two issues that have come up in this meeting that we might want to put in there. But that's about it. We're waiting to get that back, probably happen during July.

Joan Kerr: Great. Great. Thank you very much. Do we have Poncelet on the line, (Miriam)? No. Okay. Poncelet is our chair for the policy committee. But just before I go to that, Martin, did you want to tell us anything that we should be looking at from the GNSO Council point of view that we should be actually focused on in terms of policies or anything like that?

Martin Silva: Yes. Definitely the high topic right now that we have only a few months or weeks to work on is a PDP which is expedited policy process that is supposed to review the temporary solution that the board gave to the GDPR compliance WHOIS that we all - we needed to have. This is a very high level discussion that things are moving very, very, very fast. There's no process here. So everything has been done as we speak.

Anyone that wants to participate of this process of drafting the EPDP expedited policy process and eventually, anyone that wants to work afterwards in the process itself, please contact me and I will take it by the hand and let's see what things are there to be done but there's a ton of work to do there besides the regular working, which we also need people, whether it is the right protection mechanisms or any other one that we have right now open. I encourage you to go regularly to the GNSO Web page where you can find all the working groups are active.

I would also encourage you specifically for those who don't feel entirely confident yet with maybe undertaking our working group, just go to the public comment pages. We have public comments coming in. And those are much

easier to tackle because the whole PDP is already sort of resolved and you have to comment on the final result.

That's easier than trying to dig in an open process that has a dynamic and a lot of people arguing around. So I'd encourage all of you who are doing this policy committee to take very seriously the public comment page because that's the starting point, I think, for anyone that wants to become a policy leader. And afterwards, we can talk long and hard on the different PDPs.

If you are very eager, if you like privacy, if you have knowledge on GDPR and you really want to just bite something substantial, EPDP is now the thing going around the council.

And I'm open for questions, if you may.

And just one comment before I open for questions, I technically just renewed the dot-org for five years. I'm waiting for the receipt and, you know, the confirmation.

Open for questions.

Woman: Great. Thank you very much.

Man: I have a question.

Joan Kerr: Go ahead.

Man: Okay. One question. I heard EPDP is a little different to the others in the way that it will have restricted number of people who can attend it.

Martin Silva: Yes. It will be sort of not closed but definitely have a limited number of people that can go into it. That's because we need to be fast. So a small

group that is accountable and not open mode but this may be also have - this is maybe a moment to understand the nature of working groups in the GNSO.

This model of open working groups where everyone can come in and everyone can comment and everyone is part of a consensus process. It's not the only model. You can choose to do policy. It's just the one that ICANN adopted a few years ago.

Before the new gTLD rounds kick in, working groups weren't open and they were actually run by the GNSO Council itself. So this one we have now but you see, you know, RDS or whatever working group you have seen around or the drafted names or the subsequent procedures. All of those have an open policy. We can think another - other rules. This is a case for EPDP.

The community itself working - open working groups are not the perfect model to address policy in such a short time and such a difficult matter that requires, you know, so many people to really just get it done even when there are tensions and different interests at stake.

So, yes. This is - this has different rules but this doesn't mean that just because this is closed we don't - we can't work as a team because actually the members that are there - and this is an ongoing discussion. But there's been talks that the members there are going to express the consensus of the stakeholder group.

So the work of consensus is being done backwards in our community. And in there, they are going to debate amongst each other but with the consensus we give them. So there's a lot of work to do behind scenes on the EPDP even if you're not expecting to become a team member, as they call it now, in this specific process.

First Dina and then Tapani.

Okay, Tapani first.

Tapani Tarvainen: I understand there's also going to be some qualifications requirement from EPDP members and I'm not sure if anybody who's most qualified at has the time to do that. And then also those qualifications have not been fixed yet. It's still an ongoing discussion. You might want to follow up on that that they do not make them impossible for us.

Martin Silva: First of all, I think you qualified, Tapani. We do have someone. But other than that...

Tapani Tarvainen: I did say he's also have to have time to do it.

Martin Silva: But yes, this is what it talks - this is first stage. If you want to join right now, we are drafting the rules of the EPDP. So we're debating exactly this sort of task, qualifications. We're actually - just a few hours ago, probably around yesterday, one of the works they were asking is to have a specific trademark law knowledge because that instantly means you have to be a lawyer.

That's not something you pick up if you're not a lawyer and we're told that wasn't exactly necessary. But yes, yes. The specifications or requirements to be part of the EPDP are being discussed now.

And as I said, even if you don't feel you're there to become a member, I'm not saying - and I said maybe (unintelligible) is not in the stage to offer someone. Maybe we do. Maybe we don't. There's a lot of work to do behind the scenes. Like for instance, right now, help us review the charter. Read it. Give us comments because it's a live document that is being changed constantly and as usual, noncommercial.

We are overload and we are overrun usually by the lack of resources compared to other stakeholders. So if you want to just give eyes and read a very strange charter that is the legal document, that is changing, and then is

part of ICANN history, I mean, this is going to be part of ICANN history in one year. This is an interesting opportunity to be part of. Sort of like transition, it puts the community on a test -- a very hard test.

And if we manage to do it in a legitimate manner, respecting all the values, the process, the multi-stakeholders and the bottom-up, and we give an effective solution and we - then we prove we are - we have a legitimate claim to manage the DNS which is not something minor to say. And data privacy experts on this they will know this specific EPDP has a very deep impact on privacy that, for us, is very important, both as NGOs and individuals.

Dina, you also had some doubts, questions or comments?

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: Dina Jalkanen for the record. Just to add for the new people here that the expedited procedure did exceed for, I think, about two years now but was never used and if someone coming from the IDS group could help us. To quote Stephanie Perrin here now, how do we explain our friends that you can make fun of us because of ICANN, like, we can do this. I appreciate the joke.

Anyways, this is something for someone who needs a lot of background. And I think the only way it can work and to do something I'm going to propose at NCCs to have account team which also reads through the document, provide support because - already on RDS group. It was almost impossible to read everything. It was an enormous task. This has to be ready before the Barcelona meeting, correct me if I'm wrong. So...

Martin Silva: We are actually trying to bolt on the charter on the next few weeks, two, three weeks. That's not much, yes. That's expedited that we get.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: Yes. So people are fighting for the noncommercial task. You really have to be fighters facing people who are hour based, who are paid to be there and doing a very professional job. I think this is my personal opinion

for NPOC. We have a lot of interest out of new people which is absolutely amazing. And we should concentrate on following different discussions and on capacity building and set realistic expectations for serious policy participation in the future.

Martin Silva: Yes, I want to encourage this. There are levels of entry to the policy. Public comment is the most easy one that I encourage you to do. But if you have the courage enough, do jump on any of these stages, whether it is a public common or working group or the PDP.

And again, do count with me and - there are several people here that know how to do policy. Just reach out, ask questions, that's the only way to get engaged, to get your hands, you know, jumping.

Joan Kerr: No other questions?

Martin Silva: Remmy (unintelligible).

Remmy Nweke: Sorry, Remmy for the record.

What I really wanted to ask was the - if the charter are being reviewed by the GNSO as the duration, I think you have taken that (unintelligible).

Martin Silva: The duration you mean of how long the timeline of development, yes, yes. It's about (unintelligible). But again, since it's been drafted, I don't know exactly - there was a tenant that has been not contested so far.

It hasn't been contested yet. It hasn't reached consensus either. It's not a decision yet on those - that's why everything on the charter is right now up for debate.

Joan Kerr: Now my understanding is that if you're not part of the committee right now, you can't actually comment on the actual Google Doc. It's only in the public comment. Am I correct? Yes.

Martin Silva: Yes. And the very easy way to fix that is we can create on Google Doc version to put comments on and then we can pass around. I know the NCSG policy committee is going to do that and there's no way why we can't just put input through the NCSG policy committee as well. We can use that channel as a way to get into the draft.

Other than that, what was our question?

Joan Kerr: Just the timeline and I think we've got it.

Martin Silva: Okay.

Joan Kerr: We're good.

Martin Silva: Okay.

Joan Kerr: All right. Remmy, did you want to say anything quickly about the finance committee?

Remmy Nweke: Remmy for the record. Sorry my voice is going down.

With regard to the finance committee, the NCSG, we were able to meet with the rep from the NCC. We actually detailed a letter to NCSG chair which they responded to because we told them that we're ready to fly with that and they encouraged us to give us an agenda to start with. So she opened up and set it for a meeting, online meeting next week.

And then we're also looking at (comment) with operational procedure for the finance committee to straighten what we have in the charter as



responsibilities of DSC. So we are looking at developing one if there is none. But now we're trying to investigate to find out if there's any existing one within the ICANN community. So we can probably adopt that to make it easier for us towards taking (unintelligible) and also want transparency in the process.

I've also got this on documents from the previous members of the (unintelligible) what transpired there on time. So that was a - we have full understanding. We are fast tracking the process.

What we are also looking at is the opportunity of engaging (unintelligible) within the NCSG family. We're looking at - by the time we develop the operational procedure, we need to run it on the stakeholders, so they can have input on - or we take back their comments and improve on that because I think (unintelligible) phase or that being involved. We are hoping that by Barcelona it will be ready for comment, so we can take it upfront there. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: I just want to point out that NCC has a bank account and so does NPOC. So that I'd be interested as NPOC, well, for now, I think the NPOC executive would want to know how the money would be - how it would be decided or is it NCSG finance committee that will make those decisions of how the money would be spent.

Remmy Nweke: I think what is there - sorry, Remmy for the record. What is there now is that the decision on finance and (unintelligible) is actually rest with the NCSG. But what we're trying to also project is that outside that - that if the funding is coming from outside, not ICANN funded, yes, so what we are discussing is how to, first of all, establish an account, a bank account that is acceptable to all, okay, where if there's any inflow, it could be large.

And then from there, it can now be disseminated to the constituencies because we don't want the institution to keep walking the way it is now where a particular constituency is the one taking hold of the account. It's important

to tell you that you now know what is happening. For me, it's not fair enough. So we're trying to see the kind of those orders moving forward. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Great. Thank you very much. Any questions? Yes? Two questions. Go ahead.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: I have a question. So NPOC doesn't have (unintelligible) amount of funds and not (unintelligible) used on as I assume. But do we publish our financial information? Do we have transparent approach to it? I mean, starting small in case our funding do increase, for instance, it's good to give it some thought.

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: I guess that's an NPOC question, right? That's an NPOC question. So in the past, we - I can't speak for the other ECs. What I will say is that this EC and perhaps the one forthcoming has made a decision to be transparent and that information will be published and public, yes.

Tapani Tarvainen: I just want to comment. When the NCSG finance committee writes down its procedures and rules, it would be useful to clarify where the decisions have come up.

The NCSG charter says that they can authorize payments but presumably only for purposes that have been preapproved by the executive committee so that the finance committee does not decide where the money goes, only to follow that it comes with decisions made otherwise. And that will be nice to be explicit enough in your operating procedures.

Remmy Nweke: Yes, thank you, Tapani. I think that's also where we are going because it's not in our place to decide what constituencies are doing with their money. Another way of looking at (unintelligible) who gets the money based on the allocation that has been agreed and each constituency can then do or

implement this on the funding that is made available to them or they have on their own share of funding that comes in.

So it's not for us to decide what they do with the money as long as they have their own records, okay? (Unintelligible) that probably certain amounts have been attended to them.

Tapani Tarvainen: I may still follow up the point was that when NCSG money when it is - then it will be up to the executive committee of NCSG to decide how the money is used and the finance committee only handles the payment and make sure that they match what the EC has decided so that the finance committee does not make any substantive decisions on how the money is spent, only follows what's been approved.

Remmy Nweke: Sorry, I think - actually two things here. There seems to be a kind of funding that NCSG could get on his own and the one that comes in for NCSG activities. So if you look at these two, it's not the same. But if based on the charter statements, what it means that if you have inflow from donors, especially outside ICANN, that could reside with NCSG in the interim, depending when it is extended to new constituencies.

But if there's any money that may be coming from ICANN that relate to NCSG, I think that's a different ballgame altogether. What we're supposed to be dealing with is funding that is coming in. I don't understand that.

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes, that's a good point but they're not quite the one I was trying to make. The point was wherever the money is coming, the finance committee does not decide how it's spent, only follows the decision, because there is input because the decision-making model is different in the finance committee and the executive committee.

And of course, it should be in principle but in practice, we have seen various factors tried to play with the rules and move decisions to where they don't

belong. So be careful with this reporting. It should be obvious but be careful because somebody might try to put some wordings with undesirable consequences, let's put it that way.

Joan Kerr: Yes, it's a fine distinction but it's a distinction nonetheless that you're able to understand or the committee does that. So that's great. Thank you so much.

All right. So let's move on to - if there are no other questions for anything that we've discussed so far? We're good? Okay, great. We can move on to policy committee.

I did send - so first of all, let me say that we had a member session and it was really exciting and we had a lot of people agreed to become part of the policy committee. Policy is a meat of what ICANN is about. That's what the constituencies are about. All the other activities really feed into that.

Anyway, we - there was a call for - thanks to Tapani, who insisted that we had a call. I would give credit to people who do it, right? In any case, enthusiastically, we had eight people? Eight people volunteered to be on the policy committee.

And so we collected the names and they are now on a list. Of course, that was just what happened at the members' session. But this is - now we have to deal with creating policy committee.

I did send an e-mail to Poncelet but he's not on the line, I don't think, to have a callout for volunteers. So I just want to be clear about the process of NPOC in terms of the policy committee. We have to send a call for volunteers, a form of call from the ECs, actually the policy chair, seven days before the committee is a formal committee.

So that is what we, as an EC, have to do. That's our job. The difficulty comes in that there is a changeover of - there are two policy candidates. We

don't know who's going to win. We wish them both good luck. But the existing chair sent out a call for volunteers and we created a list.

Now, once that's done, they can start to work but then understand that it is a policy chair that will lead that committee and has the organizing ability for that. So I just wanted to be clear that that will be done. I have asked Poncelet to do that. I will work with him in the next - until tomorrow. Otherwise, we can send one out ourselves, calling for volunteers. Sorry, go ahead.

Tapani Tarvainen: I'd just note that it might be that the current chair feels that it was not in his place to do a call because he'll be stepping out. And in that case, I think it would be just polite to him that we issue the call. But you talk with him and we'll go wait whichever way it goes.

Joan Kerr: That's a good point. This is not - this is - like you said, the current chair might think that it's the job of the future chair. This is nothing to do with undercutting the responsibility. This is actually helping - in effect, helping the incoming chair to have an actual committee and have the - some identifiable work plans to work with.

So I just want to be clear that that's the process that we have to follow. It doesn't stop the work from happening, just - actually I think it's a good thing that people are doing draft plans and work plans and looking at it.

So do you have anything you want to say or comments or you're good?  
Good.

All right. So if - I'll work with Poncelet if it's okay with the EC to have a call out. Otherwise, I will take it as my duty to do that. Do I have a consensus?

Man: It is okay to work with you.

Joan Kerr: Until tomorrow and then I can send it out. That's the question.

Yes?

Man: Yes, I'm giving the link tomorrow.

Joan Kerr: I sent him an e-mail for him to do it and I'm saying if it - that doesn't happen that I will do it because - for the seven days. Just want to be clear.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: Okay. So you all have a proposed agenda. So at least in the items when you read through this, this is the direction, I think, the policy committee should be going. So to do a good job, to support our future chair, whichever they might be, we need to be really efficient and we live in a very interesting time in ICANN at the moment. Yes.

So I have something which might not have been clear. We do have some policy people but we didn't have policy committee. The reason for that is also historical but we didn't have enough people and now we might actually have an awesome, efficient, working, willing, capable committee.

So when the call goes out, those of you who are present and expressed your interest, just submit the statements of interest. As you see, it was my plan anyway to ask for the statements of interest just as a future prospective member of the committee.

And to ask who - can we have a show of hands who is interested in being in the committee at this point? All right.

So I have one more question for those who are here, would you be willing to start proceeding these times and start policy work and familiarizing yourself with the issues?

Man: Proceeding what?

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: In the sense of the items I listed. For instance, having a call and looking at the current policy issues, reading a little bit about them.

Man: Remmy?

Remmy Nweke: Thank you for the head up. I think that's what Juan wanted to achieve to prepare kind of proactively. But there are few or no (unintelligible) process I think it will be very nice issue. We'll also be very cautious. So I don't intend to kind of down low that, eventually came up this morning.

The chair has already said it's communicating with the previous - the incumbent. So for me, if you give out that privilege to conclude that and, luckily, the election is coming - is concluding by next week. So now we can move - the agenda you have is commendable. I really appreciate that. But I would like you to put a pause on that so that when we're finished, it doesn't look as if someone has jumped in began to start any process.

The enthusiasm is very, very appreciated so that we can all walk in the same pace without minding who emerges. (Unintelligible) my point. Yes. Thank you.

Man: Yes. While we wait what's the formal convening of the policy committee, like, forming it and so on, nothing is actually stopping us from starting the policy work already. We have put - we have input on the policy committee e-mail list. Everybody willing can be on it.

We can actually start the work that we should have been doing since the formation of NPOC and, like, basically, I share the view with Dina that we shouldn't really, like, sort of hold back that work. But I do understand your point about being - having the formal, like, the formation and everything done properly with the procedures as it is. But just to say that we don't have to hold back on working, for example, on the e-mail list of the policy committee,

that's like something - for example, nobody - or charter has no rules about who can be on that list, for example. And at the moment, we just want people actually do policy work.

Martin Silva: I agree that besides process, I mean, there's nothing stopping even individuals to jump into a working group. So therefore, yes, let's push forward whatever process we need to formalize effective places. But I wouldn't wait one more hour to start doing things because we don't need it.

There is a whole proceeding of the - of this policy committee version. I offer my guidance as an input and being part of a call, being part of the list. You count with all my agenda, knowledge, access, friendship, whatever you need, to move forward this - with this process.

Of course, I can't share it because I'm technically not only the NPOC councilor, I'm NCSG councilor and I cannot be part of an ExCom specifically but do count with me to help as part of a friend and (unintelligible) noncommercial.

Man: Thanks, Martin. And yes, I just have to add maybe that, as Martin said before, we have public comment when we can jump in and start to draft or to discuss. This is a good thing, good way to learn to how the policy has been made, even public comment. And of course, we are doing this.

Dina is doing it, sometimes Raoul and sometimes Poncelet, sometimes me, of course. Martin is doing this. So we encourage every people to, okay, let's check the public comments of - NCSG is causing right now or even the public comments that are in ICANN Web page, Web site. So jump in and maybe we can guide the people on this tried - that's kind of job.

Martin Silva: One second. Maybe, Juan or Joan, if you already have - I know it's not in the toolkit as everything and if not, we can find it. We can send to the (unintelligible) already the links to check public comments, to check GNSO



active working groups, just so everyone can start, you know, surfing that (unintelligible).

I interrupted Remmy then Tapani.

Remmy Nweke: One thing. Thank you. Yes, thank you, Martin. We were - from Communication, we were sharing all of our member lists with that you're talking about and, of course, we can do it if the committee allows me to share this in policy committee list. That's it. That's all. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Tapani and then Remmy.

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes, following up on what Juan has said kind of coincide to the ones exactly what I've been planning. We'll try to draft process for - going through public comments by simply that making sure that all - somebody checks them all and picks out those that are relevant to NPOC have an idea of how to do that with minimal amount of time, making sure that none of them is completely missed. So that could be small amount of work that anybody could do, maybe rotating among the policy committee with the list of public comments and pick those. This is NPOC saying this is NCSG and push it there. This doesn't matter.

Man: Yes. As long as someone helps me to just draft the communication, I can point out what, in my opinion, is - especially around priority or whatever, just flag it, you know, like, "This is us." But someone has to draft that communication because I cannot, first, because of time, and second, because of the role. I cannot be drafting that.

Joan Kerr: So you'll review it if it's drafted. Is that what you're saying?

Man: I will go to the list and I will say, "In my opinion, this, this, this and this are relevant for NPOC," and then someone else will draft it, specifically saying, "This is relevant for NPOC." That's what I offer.

Man: If I may follow up, what I'll do is specifically splitting up this task, following them, picking up the ones that are relevant, drafting them and so a small chunk to us so that it will be easy to...

Man: As long as someone gets all that administrative part of drafting and following the thing, I can leave the content or an opinion, a conscious opinion of content of saying, "This will (unintelligible) for these reasons."

Remmy Nweke: Thank you, Juan. Remmy for the record.

I actually want to latch on what Tapani said. I think what we should be doing that all of us you've entrusted what is going on especially the policy issues at the NCSG level and then narrowing it down to what NPOC should be doing or shouldn't be doing or the consigns. I think that's the point he's trying to make. And I think that's the point you are trying to make, yes.

And that is where we will - should, more or less, have more work monitoring what consigns. It's not every policy that we stumbled into. One, we don't have the resources and associated (RSU). So what we're going to do is narrow it down to what is available, what we can do and then (unintelligible) or have the draft. Martin can add his own voice there. I think that's the point he also made. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So regarding the issue - just one second. Just regarding the issue, we have identified the four issues that are operational concerns. So we will focus on those for sure. So sorry. You wanted to say something because I wanted to address the whole issue of the committee after. So go ahead.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: All right. Just a note on how I see the policy committee, policy committee is, ideally, not the place to say, "Hey, look at this, look at that Web site. This is what our member should already be doing. That's the reason they are in NPOC."

In my opinion, policy committee provides expertise, provides direction, provides support for the members. So in this particular case, we need capacity building and just go and do get some page feed, not be enough for the policy committee.

So following that due process, when we have mandate to do so, I think we will learn together, learn more efficiently and we will set clear - believable clear timelines so that by the end of the year, we have acquired the expertise we can actually share this draft of NPOC. Given that, I propose that people who are interested in policy committee agreed to have the upcoming meetings in July 16th and 23rd.

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Sorry. Just before we go there, so we had two arguments, first of all, I just want to say. So I wanted to clarify your issue regarding the committee to wait. So this is a - almost like a working group, if we can use it. It's not the committee. The committee will be formed when the chair is elected. That's the first thing I wanted to say.

To build on the enthusiasm and the presence of people here, all the members want to do that's on the list is to start to work on and identify the issues and to get some formation in place. That's all they're doing. They are not making any - they're not able to make any decisions because the policy chair is the one that directs that.

So that's the argument for them to continue. Just so that you're clear that there is - it's not a committee. It's - let's use the word "working group," if that's okay. And then it's clear that it's not the committee because it is the chair's responsibility after that.

So for this, if we're in agreement to continue, if there are no objections, and I will make sure everybody has a chance to say if there's an objection, we will form the working group. And then after the elections, the committee will be formed. Is that fair?

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: Yes. And that doesn't mean many weeks or months but the EC and process is ongoing and it will be quite fast I expect, yes.

Joan Kerr: So is there any objection to the working group being formed as of now?

The call is going to go through - public call is still going to go through because we are responsible to do that as an EC. That will happen. But is there any objection to the working group working in the next seven days to - for our plan? But, sorry, go ahead.

Man: I don't think we can call it working group.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Man: Because our charter says that if it's called a working GROUP, then we'll have these specific rules of how to form it.

Joan Kerr: Drafting team.

Man: Drafting team might work.

Joan Kerr: Drafting team?

Man: All right.

Joan Kerr: Okay. Correction. Drafting team. Just so that there is a clear definition that this is the team that is not the committee. Yes. Drafting team?

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: And if you've seen the proposal which I sent, there's - I understand that in the future, given the committee - official committee and the chair are willing to go forward with it, we need a charter for the policy committee.

So, previously, there hasn't been a wide policy work. So after we have completed that and the community approved it, we will never end up in the situation where we have a transition and that stalls policy work. We will have clear fail-safes, we will have clear direction, and I hope we can achieve that.

Joan Kerr: And just as chair, I want to stress that both Remmy and David should be on that list as a drafting team is - because we don't know who is going to win the election. So they both should be on that list.

Man: Yes, they are.

Joan Kerr: Yes. Right. So...

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: ...right, great.

All right. So, Caleb?

Caleb Ogundele: Caleb for the record.

So I have this quick question. What happens to be all the - most of the time within the policy committee? Who's going to be the - are you going to appoint someone as a plan holder within that committee? So, the comments and everything, those drafting and everything coming in, they're not going to be too messy. Someone who can actually do more research.

Joan Kerr: Are you talking about the drafting team or...

Caleb Ogundele: Yes.

Joan Kerr: ... - okay.

Dina Solveig Jalkanen: I can assure you there will be absolutely no mess in the drafting team. But on - it's helped to note we need the capacity building and the learning process before we can meaningfully contribute to all the policy. So what I would suggest is, for instance, picking a comment which interests us all and give it a go. For example, we will be organized but that has to be decided with the drafting group which will be a drafting group for a couple of weeks only. So I think it's out of the scope of this meeting. But yes, the intention is to be extremely organized.

And the last thing I wanted to add is, of course, due process is important but none of the bureaucracy - no ways of the bureaucracy have absolutely any meaning if there is no meaningful policy work going on.

Man: Yes. So there you asked who's going to be the plan holder. I think the way I see it is that it's the policy committee who will make the decisions on what comments get put down in the end.

And there will be - according to our current charter, there will be the policy chair, vice chair and a recorder and the other two to eight members are general assembly. But they all have equal voting rights, apart from the chair having like the decisive vote, perhaps. But even that's for discussion.

Man: Just in simple point that one of the first tasks of the drafting team, I think, will be just drafting the operating procedures for itself, all the policy committee to come. And those would, of course, include the rules of how to pick the plan holder in each case and so forth.

Joan Kerr: Right. And just so that you understand, this is just a drafting team. It's a policy chair that's elected that will ultimately lead the committee. Just to be clear again.

Man: Okay.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So just to recap, I will work with the current chair to send out a call for volunteers. That will be on the list for seven days and that the drafting team will be struck to continue its work with the people that's on the existing list.

No objections. We can move forward with that. Great. Yay. We're (unintelligible).

Man: Yes.

Joan Kerr: All right. Did you have something to say? Oh, sorry.

Any other issues or additions, comments before we wrap up?

Wow. Okay. Well, I will wrap up by saying that I only have one drink but this may be my last chairing job. And it's - if I never get to say it again, it was a pleasure working with all of you. And I hope you all best of luck in the election.

And I will be available for comments if anybody is - asks me in the future.

So, with that, I will wrap up this session. Thank you.

END