

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you for coming to the March NARALO meeting. I'd like to call this to order. Could staff please take roll?

TERRI AGNEW: Certainly. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. This is the NARALO monthly teleconference on Monday, the 9<sup>th</sup> of March, 2015 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Gordon Chillcott, Evan Leibovitch, Holly Raiche, Darlene Thompson, Garth Graham, Eduardo Diaz, Allan Skuce, Konstantin Kalaitzidis, Leah Symekher, and Tom Lowenhaupt.

Joining us a little later will be Judith Hellerstein, Joly MacFie, and Glenn McKnight.

We have apologies from Alan Greenberg.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich; and myself, Terri Agnew.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, and back over to you, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks very much, Terri. Let's get right into this because we have a lot of ground to cover. The next item on the agenda is an update on open action items, specifically an issue that was brought up in the last meeting. We had an inquiry from some people that were interested in

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

making an application as an ALS to NARALO. The physical location of the people is actually outside the region, but all of the members of the proposed ALS would actually be US citizens. So we were asked to look into that, about whether or not that would cause problems. Is there any staff feedback from that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, not yet. We'll follow-up with legal on that issue.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. We've gone through the first two agenda items and we're only two minutes into the call. Good. So moving on to community updates. For the community updates, Alan is not here. Glenn will join us later. Eduardo, would you like to add anything in terms of any ALAC report?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I can talk about the IANA stewardship transition, which I'm 100% working with that. Other than that, then I am [inaudible]. You tell me, because if Olivier is going to talk about that later on, he will have more information. You tell me.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Holly will be talking about the ALAC review, not anything to do with IANA or about accountability issues. Did you want to add anything about that?

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, I don't have anything new for that other than what was discussed in Singapore. There was a [community forum] [inaudible]. Other than that, I haven't heard anything about [inaudible].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Somebody has got a line that's got some very bad background noise behind that. If you are, could you please mute yourself? Okay, thank you. Eduardo, you're also up for 3.2 on the NARALO newsletter.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. I have been thinking about how to start that work, and Glenn sent me some kind of framework to work on. Looking at it, [inaudible] actual [inaudible] letter and it will be mostly HTML. I'm just thinking about what to put in the newsletter. My main thing is I don't want to make [inaudible] more than one stage. I just want to [inaudible] what ALSes are doing, maybe a monthly message type, [inaudible] or something like that. I haven't thought about that.

But in any case, before the end of March, I will be sending out some kind of proposal for people to look at and make this something that will work for all of us. [That's what I have.]

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Eduardo, do you have any ideas what you'd like to do initially in terms of content of the newsletter?

---

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Well, I would say a message by our chair [sharing] a welcome message. Maybe I want to have pictures in the newsletter. And I want to get as much information as we can get from ALSes. I'm talking about one or two sentences what they're doing and maybe have a link somewhere [inaudible] what happens.

The idea behind this newsletter is to have a [inaudible] that will continuously inform all the ALSes in LACRALO what are we doing.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Could I make a suggestion, Eduardo? Could you put a posting out to the mailing list soliciting ALSes, soliciting members for anything they would like to put into a newsletter, things they would like to share with the other ALSes, with the region, and potentially with At-Large as a whole? Could you possibly put out solicitation now that you have an idea that you've expressed over the kind of content you'd like to put in?

If you could put out a message to the mailing list that's asking people for those reports, that's asking people for that input and for photos, I think that might be a good way to proceed.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Will do. Thank you for the suggestion.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Can that be put down as an action item, please? For staff.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's been posted. If you can read that, if that's correct – do you want to add a date to that?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No. Eduardo can do that on his own time, because we don't have a specific timeline for the newsletter as it is. So essentially the faster we get content, the faster we have something to put out.

EDUARDO DIAZ: In any case, it will be before our next NARALO meeting I will have that done.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So the next item on the agenda, which just vanished from my screen – okay. We're now talking about the CROPP applications. Essentially what has happened now is two of the CROPP trips have happened already, and a couple of the others are yet to come. The ones that happened so far are Glenn and myself were last week in Austin, Texas at the NTC Conference.

When Glenn comes in, I'll welcome him to put in a small report on this. Because we're pressed for time, we don't want to spend too much time on this. There's going to be a written report both Glenn and I will be submitting anyway on this. As far as I'm concerned, it was very successful. There's a lot more people that know now about At-Large and about ICANN than knew before. We had the brochures and [USP 6] that were sent to us. Thanks, Heidi. A lot of them were distributed. We left some behind at the same hotel, which is going to be visited next week

---

by Judith on the next CROPP trip, which is going to be for South by Southwest. And coming up [inaudible] is going to be going to the IEEE Conference on humanitarian technology. So those are yet to happen. There's not much a report to happen on those, since they haven't taken place yet.

Does anyone have any questions or comments right now? Okay. When Glenn joins us later, if he wants to add something to that I'll welcome him to do that. Okay, let's move on from that.

So we have NARALO originated special budget requests. There's not much of anything to say right now in the sense that one of these is officially being submitted as a NARALO proposal and that is for the NARALO General Assembly. The other ones are actually being [inaudible] as ALAC proposals. That is to do with e-books and to the capacity building and engagement.

So a number of the things that we've started that were submitted as NARALO things have actually been embraced and submitted as ALAC requests.

In the meantime, there is also the request for the NARALO General Assembly, which is proposed to happen in October in relation to the ARIN meeting in Montreal.

Yes, as Judith says, also the captioning proposal was made by us and has now been taken global and being proposed by ALAC.

Heidi, is there any update that is worth mentioning on the status of these at this point?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Not officially. The next official announcement – well, the final official announcement from the board is scheduled for the 15<sup>th</sup> of April. So that day we will know which of those requests have been funded and how much funding has been connected to those.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Do you at this point have either informally or unofficially – I mean, is there a sense that any of these are going to be proposed, that any of these are going to be accepted? Do you get a feel that these are being accepted well?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I had a chance to have some initial discussions with staff that are reviewing this. Yeah, it was a very good discussion, so I'm just going to hold off until [inaudible] something more formal. But I thought that they were good proposals and we had good discussions.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, thanks very much. Okay, if we could switch back to the agenda on the main screen. All right, moving on to 3.5 is IANA transition issues, which originally we had Alan slated to speak and then Olivier. Neither of them are here. Eduardo, did I hear you say that you wanted to speak on the IANA issues at all?

---

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes, I can do that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay, go ahead. But keep it brief. And if there's other things to point people to, we can post links into the chat. Thanks. Go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Very quickly, we are going to have a face-to-face meeting in Istanbul in about two or three weeks from now. Basically, what the group has done is in order to put a proposal together by the beginning of April, there were many teams created. We call them [agile] teams that are focusing on specific parts of the proposal, and in two weeks are coming back and things like SLAs for IANA and other specific [inaudible] ccTLDs and [things] like that.

The major question is legal advice at this point. If the proposal is going to propose an external solution or an ICANN internal solution or a hybrid. External means that IANA will be managed by a company outside of ICANN. Internal means it will be managed within ICANN. And a hybrid is like some kind of company holding on by ICANN type thing.

In any case, there is a team that looks for a legal firm to answer some legal questions that need to be answered in order to find which way it can be done, internal or external. There are many issues about the incorporation of ICANN, if the changes in the bylaws are allowed to happen [inaudible].

The firm has been contacted and has been contracted by ICANN. [inaudible] started working basically today. The CWG meeting group put



---

together numerous questions that need to be answered by this firm, and these questions need to be answered sometime next week, so when we go to Istanbul we can have a better chance of which way – direction – the proposal is going to take.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Eduardo or Heidi, do either of you know if there's any specific plans at this point for a webinar to update the At-Large community to debrief after that Istanbul meeting?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'll have to double-check on the agenda, on the capacity building schedule. I'll get right back to you. Just a moment. Well, continue, please, but I'll get back to you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No, no, no. I wasn't talking about the capacity building. I was asking if there are any plans for a webinar that could offer a debrief after the Istanbul meeting that Eduardo just said was going to be happening.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, sorry. Thank you for the clarification. I'll double-check with that team who's working on it from staff.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. And if there isn't one planned, if there could be a consideration to do that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think that will be a very good idea for everyone. That's all I have to say. Maybe if Olivier joins later, we can ask [inaudible].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. No. Eduardo, you've done absolutely fine, especially considering that we've got a number of other things on our plate to deal with. The concise report that you've given has been just perfect right now. So thank you.

We have a small amount of time for Q&A if anyone on the call or chat has any questions for Eduardo at this point. I'm looking. I see no hands in Adobe Connect. Going once, going twice.

Onto the next issue, which is a capacity building survey. Heidi or Terri, would you like to make any comments about this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I put the link to a very short survey. It's actually four questions that will literally take you 20 seconds to complete. A bit of background. This came out from the ATLAS II recommendation #28 that's been developed by Alberto Soto, chair of LACRALO.

This particular survey has been sent now to four of the RALOs. APRALO will be sending a nine-question survey out shortly. Again, the results of this survey will be presented in Buenos Aires at ICANN 53.

---

And I think following that there has been some internal discussion with Olivier and Alan on how to make these types of surveys, firstly, more rigorous in terms of an approach to surveys. And then secondly, how to make them more regular.

So I think there will be an update on how these types of surveys will continue going forward. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Any questions or comments on this? Heidi, you've mentioned that this has been the work of a couple of other regions. Are there any utility or is there any necessity for NARALO to add to this or are you satisfied that the questions have been asked and the work that needs to be done is already being done?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

For this one, this questionnaire was basically approved at the Singapore meeting by the regional secretariat. [So please do] complete the survey. Again, the results will be announced in Buenos Aires.

I think going forward this is a good start, but I think there will be more work going forward and on a more regular basis.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay, excellent. Thanks very much. All right. Moving on to item 4, which has to do with community vacancies and leadership selections. I wanted to first call attention to the fact that we are now coming into the time of

---

year where we need to start picking our new leadership positions. So I'm just going to enumerate them very briefly.

We have three ALAC representatives from North America to ALAC. Of them only one position is available for reelection, and that is Eduardo's position. Eduardo, are you eligible to run again?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

No, this is my second year. I'm on my second term, so I'm not.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. So Eduardo is term limited, so that position right now is vacant and looking for people to fill that spot. The position of chair is a one-year term, so that is always open for election or reelection. As of this moment, Garth is holding that. Now, when he returns in April, I guess he will indicate his intentions whether or not he wishes to run for reelection, but the position is open. It is a one-year term. It does not have a term limit.

The position of secretariat, which is the position I was elected to last year is again open for reelection, reselection. There is no term limit on that. So that position is also open.

We need to make a selection for the unaffiliated member representative. Since I believe it was Murray McKercher that had taken that previously, but since he has since then joined an ALS, Alan has taken that slot in his absence. Going forward, we need to make another choice for a representative for our unaffiliated members. We also need to make a selection for the NARALO place on the Nominating

---

Committee. I believe Louis is also term limited, so that position will be open. Louis, I believe, cannot run for reelection.

So those are the five positions for which we need to select people for NARALO leadership. In the meantime, we also need to have a look at the people that we send to the CROPP review team. Right now we have Alan and Darlene that are on the CROPP review team. Both of them are on this call, so that's great.

There is also an Outreach and Engagement Sub-committee previously called the Outreach Sub-committee in which our representatives were Glenn and Murray. So we need to review those as well.

Heidi, could you do a sanity check? Is there anything that I missed in my list of those positions that were open?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think everything sounds good. The only point – just a slight clarification, as I noted in the chat, the terms are . . . The people who are in office will hold them until the AGM. Evan, you had mentioned that Eduardo's term is vacant and it's not yet. It will become [a vacancy].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Right. So the AGM takes place at the Dublin meeting I believe in the fall.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So whatever selections we make, those positions will not change hands if there are new people until the Dublin meeting. So in fact, I believe it's the end of the Dublin meeting. And at the Dublin meeting, if there's a change, both the outgoing and incoming people I believe actually go to Dublin and we make the handoff.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. That is correct.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I see Glenn's on the call, so welcome. Did anybody on the call want to comment or have any questions about this? The process and the timelines for doing this are going to be discussed in the mailing list. Because we have until October to place people, we are not really under the gun to have to do something in the next few weeks, so we can do this deliberately. We can do this properly. So I believe a webpage has been set up that will talk about the processes and the timelines based on what we've done previous years. We'll have nomination periods and then a selection process.

Does anyone have any questions or comments at this time on anything that's been said so far regarding either the vacancies or how they'll be selected?

Quiet crowd today, okay. So we're 26 minutes after the hour. I see that Holly Raiche is back with you. Holly, what time is it for you?

HOLLY RAICHE: It's about 6:30. This is [inaudible] normally.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, 6:30 in the morning. That's almost a normal time. I want to give a nice NARALO welcome to Holly calling from Sydney, Australia, who is going to spend the next few minutes talking to us about the At-Large review that's going to require our participation. We're going to have to select people into this as well.

Holly, the floor is yours.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you very much. I think the slides are being put up, Terri or Heidi?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I believe they're being put up right now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. I will talk to the [inaudible] as well. As some of you are aware, [inaudible] go through a review process. There's a review cycle where, if you look at the review, it starts with a plan of review. Then there's issues and questions for review. It's implemented and there are recommendations. And every single part of ICANN goes through a

---

---

review. It's a part of a general accountability and transparency, written [into] the ICANN bylaws, [inaudible] as well.

Now the slides are up. ALAC started a review of itself back in 2008. There was a review with recommendations. At the time, the RALOs had barely existed, let alone [inaudible]. This review is going to concentrate more on the second and third levels of the structure. So rather than [the executives], we're going to be looking at the RALO structure and the ALS structure in terms of our own objectives.

Now, [inaudible] that were discussed at the Singapore meeting amongst the [inaudible] executives, but the aim now is to go out into the community itself, into the RALOs and the ALSes, [inaudible] the review. These are the slides that we looked at in Singapore.

The objective is basically to comply with ICANN bylaws that's just to look at our own effectiveness.

Another objective, the GNSO – and I'm assuming all of you know what GNSO stands for – just finished the whole review process. So part of what we're doing is going back through that review to see what lessons we can apply in terms of reviewing [inaudible].

There will be an independent examiner that was an independent examiner from the GNSO. That will be selected based on criteria. We will not be involved in that, but we will work with that person for the review.



---

Now, wait a minute. Back up. There we go, thank you. Actually, could I go to – let me go to the next slide to the timeline, please. I can turn the slides. Thanks very much.

I want to talk about – I think what I'll do is go back to the objectives. There will be an independent examiner. There will be a working party and the working party will include myself as chair and [Cheryl] as vice chair, but then two individuals from each of the RALOs.

One of [inaudible] tasks after I did the briefing will be to select a second person because Garth has been on leave. [inaudible] people will be Eduardo. So either you confirm Garth or you select one other person to work as part of the working party team to be on the review.

The work [inaudible] – and this largely [inaudible] independent examiner does – needs to look at the documentation for all of the RALOs to [probably] observe meetings, whatever else each RALO does as well as what the ALSes do.

And the review criteria – the criteria are going to be probably criteria [inaudible] work on. Are we achieving what ICANN thinks we will achieve? What I didn't do, I'm putting in slides. But there is a statement within ICANN bylaws that we are to be involved in the work of ICANN and when we get to the questions and the review, and it's going to be: are we doing what we're supposed to be doing?

I'm going to go past the next slide. The timeline. We're now in the first phase, which is simply planning the review. From now until June, we will be developing a plan. This review will be one out of what's called the

---

structure improvement [inaudible], which is one of the [inaudible] of ICANN board [inaudible].

Another of the tasks that has to be completed in this phase is that the formation of a working party, and [inaudible] that will need a representative. We need a confirmation of Garth or another person. Then through an open-tinder process, the ICANN board will select an examiner.

The review itself will take place from July through March, and that will allow at least one, if not two, ICANN meetings itself and it will give the examiner time to meet these people, to conduct interviews, and then to review [inaudible] any documentation. The outcome will be an improvement plan.

Where I want to go – Terri, at the end of the presentation, is there a link? What Ariel and Heidi has done is gather all of the information from the last review. There's one wiki page which has two elements to it: documentation from this review and documentation from the last review. From the last review, you can see all of the documentation in terms of what the outcome was, what the report was in terms of recommendations for ALAC. Then the implementation plan. And there were about 40 recommendations. Some of them have been checked off, not all. I'm not going to go through those, but at this stage, may go through them with the working parties when [inaudible].

Where we are now, this is a confirmation of the process, which is the review itself. The examination of documents, that's what the examiner will do. [inaudible] implementation. We'll be looking at assessment, and

---

one of the things – well, the important thing we will be doing . . . Two things.

Each of the RALOs is to talk amongst themselves and say, “What questions do you think the examiner should be asking?” Just high level questions. What is it we should know about ourselves if we’re going to review ourselves? And who should we talk to? Because the examiner does have the opportunity to interview the people who should be interviewed, but each RALO should be mainly the people that they think are important to be covered by this review.

So that’s going to be part of the [inaudible] now until June. Once we have the working parties and we have the feedback, because over the next month, what we would like is to have each RALO talk amongst itself as to coming up with a list of questions, coming up with a list of people. Then the working parties can get together and provide all of that to the examiner.

Now, the examiner will be individuals or companies, whatever. [inaudible] have the expertise to say, “Well, these are the way you ask the questions and I really think you haven’t identified the following people who need to be talked to,” or “I’m not sure why these people.”

Anyway, the work plan will be finalized by the end of June and then the work of the review will start. So what I need from NARALO is for all of you to get together, probably between now and the next meeting – [inaudible] on what really high level questions, [inaudible] and specific questions, should be asked as part of the review of ourselves. My suggestion is go back to the ICANN bylaws, go back to your own bylaws

---

to see how do you think we'll be measuring the performance of yourselves, of your ALSes, and those questions need to be incorporated into the review.

Evan, I think it's time to open this up to questions and comments.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Thanks, Holly. Now, I just wanted to – first of all, the last few things you said were things that NARALO needs to do. So I want to turn those into action items that will actually show up on the meeting notes here. So could you repeat what you said NARALO needs to do in a way that we can hone this into an action thing that we can then bring back into the mailing list, discuss, and make sure that we get done?

HOLLY RAICHE:

In the next month, that is between from now until the next NARALO meeting, what are the questions from a NARALO perspective that the independent examiner should be asking [in] relation to the effectiveness not only of NARALO, but of ALSes? I'm just watching this being typed.

The next is to identify individuals in NARALO—

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

How many?

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Probably not a lot because the independent examiner is not going to have a lot of time, and there are five RALOs, so a few key people. A few key people. Who do you think is key in terms of giving feedback on the effectiveness and efficiency of NARALO?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So we're saying definitely no more than five, and if I'm hearing you right, you're basically saying between two and four people.

HOLLY RAICHE: That sounds about right, yeah.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Are you considering people that have historical background or people that have come in new and may have an interesting perspective on what's here and what's lacking?

HOLLY RAICHE: [inaudible] question. And I would say probably both are interesting. Both views would be important to hear, quite honestly. The historical perspective is really important, but also somebody walking in fresh going, "Well, what [inaudible] doing?" I think they're both implement perspectives.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. We'll open the floor to questions. I've got one myself to start with. Holly, at the very end of this, when they're talking about

---

effectiveness, what is the actual goals that we're looking for? Are the goals to make At-Large more representatives? Is the goal to have more and better policy? Is there some kind of high level expectations that are set for what this review is meant to accomplish, as opposed to just sort of more effective which is something ephemeral? Is there something more specific than that in terms of what this process is supposed to accomplish at the end of this?

HOLLY RAICHE:

My initial response is I think that's a very good question. My initial response is in terms of if you look at the bylaws, it's not just about efficiency. It's about do we contribute to ICANN? And that says to me efficiency is nice, transparency is nice, but there's a lot of money being spent on us. In the end, are we making a difference? What kind of difference? Are we contributing to policy? Are we actually raising the policy issues? Are we contributing to them? Are we helping to resolve issues?

Not only are we being efficient at doing nothing, are we efficient at doing what? I think your question is really an important one is to stand back and say if you were ICANN, could you put your hand on your heart and say ALAC and everything that it represents is an important part of our organization, that they contribute significantly to what we do? Does that answer your question?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

It answers my question. I guess at a certain point I hope that kind of answer will show itself in some of the, shall we say, walking papers for

---

the people doing the review that goes beyond just Q&A that's being held in a RALO. But I guess this is the kind of thing that we need to bring to the [floor].

Okay. There's some chat going on in the Adobe chat. Glenn has his hand up. Garth, you've also had some things to say in the chat. Maybe you'd like to ask some questions about this. In the meantime, Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thanks, Evan. Quickly, just to respond to the action item, if you're looking for two to four organizations, I'll be happy to volunteer as one of the ALSes. Perhaps if we can get some other volunteers that want to participate and get their hands up. You can put me down as one of the – for the examiner to talk to.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Heidi, if we could make it clear, also implicit, in the call in that action item that we need to put out a call for participants in the mailing list. Glenn has already stepped forward. We need to get some more people, so we need to put out a solicitation in the mailing list to ask for people to step forward for this.

Glenn, did you have more to add?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

No. Thank you. That's all.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Anybody else have anything to say in the chat? Okay. Anyone need to raise their hands or have something to say? Okay, we've got a really quiet crowd this month. And I know some of you people. You're not quiet people.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I know they're quiet, and they're not quiet with me, so that's okay. Look, I think [inaudible].

JOLY MACFIE: I'll just say something so that it's not so quiet. [inaudible] with Holly's presentation. It was [inaudible] make that available as a separate [inaudible], so that we can review it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Joly, you're coming in a little garbled. It's hard for me to hear you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I heard Joly very well, thank you.

JOLY MACFIE: I recorded Holly's presentation and I'll make it available as a separate little video for review.



---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:                   Okay. Alrighty. Holly, did you have anything more to add? It looks like there's not a whole lot of Q&A here. Any ongoing discussion to this I guess can happen in the e-mail. We'll make sure that your slide deck is made available to anybody that needs to download it. We do need to take this to the e-mail.

HOLLY RAICHE:                    There's one final thing.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:                Sure.

HOLLY RAICHE:                    There is a link to the website. Now, I have insisted that the website have both the material from the previous review so that people wanted to look at what a review looks like from beginning to end. All of that documentation is there, but there is also material for this review. This slide deck is there. There's also a four-page FAQ, which was done by the [Structural Improvement Group], and it's really excellent. It explains everything.

I would like that to be the site for what goes on. So please look at both sites. The full deck of this presentation is there and I'm happy to take any calls. I just look forward to working with the two of you.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Excellent. Thanks, Holly. The one thing that I want to add at the end of this is it can't be understated the importance of this review and the results of it. Just as a matter of backtrack, I was around for the last review, which was an ALAC review. It did not encompass the ALSes and RALOs. It was just about ALAC and increasing ALAC's visibility, its presence and its ability to function within ICANN. As a result of that, there was significantly greater interaction between At-Large and the board and the GAC and other constituencies that I think has significantly increased our effectiveness.

Also, it was a recommendation from the ALAC review that led to the creation of an actual board member being selected by the At-Large community. That was a result of the ALAC review.

Now, granted, the review recommended two people and the board selected one. However, the fact is that until the ALAC review, we had a liaison that was a non-participant in the board meetings. We had then gone to an At-Large selected person who was a full member of the board that's being served right now by Rinalia. If we want to take this opportunity in the review to push again for a second person from the board or anything else that we think needs to happen to ICANN as well as to At-Large to make us more effective and to make the voice of the end user better heard within ICANN, this is where we do it.

So I really want to emphasize the value of having an effective At-Large review. This has the ability to suggest to ICANN that it may need to redirect priorities, redirect resources, and redirect some of its internal structure. All these things can come out of these reviews. I really suggest this is something we need to take seriously. I really want to

---

encourage some good-quality people to step forward to be part of this and to leave it at that.

The last time this was done, it produced some good results – not enough in the eyes of some of us. Well, I’m putting it lightly, Holly. But this is an opportunity either to redress deficiencies from the last review or to come up with some new ideas and some new approaches to this. So please take this seriously. Please get involved. There’s an opportunity to do some real good here, and to even further increase the profile of the end user within ICANN.

Any last words, comments, or questions? Holly, did I hear you? Yes go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I’m saying thank you. I’m saying thank you for your support and I really look forward to working with the two people that you named for me to work with. I think this is a very big opportunity for all of us.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Excellent. Okay, last opportunity for questions or comments. I see no hands up. Okay. Thank you very much, Holly. Enjoy the rest of your day. We will move on to the rest of the NARALO agenda.

Item number 6 is to do with policy updates. Now, we have Garth who was going to speak on the issue to do with compliance that he’s raised in the mailing list that he’s not here to speak about, so we will defer that to next month when Garth is due to join us back again.

---

The next thing is to go on to other policy updates. Heidi – oh, welcome, Ariel, to the call. It’s my understanding that you’ll be speaking to us on the policy update. The floor is yours.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you, Evan. Just very briefly, we have four ALAC statements that are under development. The first one is the potential change to registrar accreditation [inaudible] requirements. In fact, this statement is undergoing vote and will end on the 13<sup>th</sup>. So that’s the first statement.

And then the second one is IDN TLDs, LGR Procedure Implementation Maximal Starting Repertoire Version 2. Satish Babu drafted his statement and is currently soliciting input from the community. So when you get a chance, please take a look at the Wiki work space and leave your comment. That’s the second statement.

Then the third one is the statement about GNSO Policy Implementation Initial Recommendation Report. Holly drafted a statement on that and is also calling for comments across the community. So make sure you visit the work space and leave your comments there.

The fourth statement is a draft report Rights Protection Mechanisms Review, and Leon Sanchez is currently drafting a statement on that and I wanted [inaudible] inform the community and open the call for comments.

These are the four statements in development process.

Then the ALAC decided not to comment on two public comment requests. One is the WHOIS Accuracy Pilot Study Report. The comment

---

period will close on the 13<sup>th</sup>. The second one is the release of country and territory names within the .EN, .ER, .CK, .HAMBURG, and .BERLIN TLDs. That comment period will close on the 14<sup>th</sup> of April. So these are the two public comments that will not make us submit a statement on.

That's pretty much it. I will paste a link in the AC room chat and direct you to their respective work spaces. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks very much, Ariel. I want to also just mention that there's also ALAC work going on to do with public interest commitments. This is something myself and a few other people are watching very closely, as well as some work that needs to be done about possible future rounds of new gTLDs.

All I'm going to say at this point about that is if you're interested in that kind of thing, contact myself or staff. I'm the chair of that working group. We can use definitely people who are involved in that. These are about as close to asserting the public interest and end user interest into the new gTLD program as we can get right now. Thanks on that.

So we have covered off most of the issues of this meeting. Does anybody on the call have any other business that they would like to raise? Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thanks, Evan. Evan and I attended the N10 Conference last week. I stayed an extra couple of days on my time to see a little bit of Austin. It's known to be a weird city. To be honest, no weirder anywhere else. It

---

does have a vibrant music scene. But we were at the Not-For-Profit Technology Conference. What was very interesting is PIR has a very large booth. They're a platinum sponsor and they are doing a great job in educating the public on the accreditation process, certification process, [inaudible] for .NGO.

There was a number of sessions, including two people from ISOC came based on what Evan and I recommended. They did some sessions on net neutrality. We had two staff people there from ICANN, Laura [inaudible], who has been taking responsibility for the RFP on accessibility. She and I did two birds of a feather sessions on the culture of accessibility. She and I also did a radio program with Not-For-Profit radio, and I shared with everybody the notes and the slides from a number of workshops on accessibility for those in this committee that are interested.

As a whole, we gave thanks for staff for sending the brochures and the [USBs]. We targeted people who were from the United States and Canada, and that's the only places we saw to be interested in ALAC. I think I have a couple of really good leads – young people that were from Vancouver that were really interested in participating.

Evan, did you want to add to my comments?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Actually, some of the most interesting conversations I had in fact was also with Laura who's involved in some of the IT [inaudible] web and of ICANN. And one of the things we discussed was one of the things I saw as a deficiency of the website was not necessarily the need for more

---

and more website redesigns but that we actually needed to have some new resources to do with, shall we say, library science. That is being able to find archival material within the website easily.

There's a lot of duplication. There's a lot of lost materials that people need to find. ICANN generates an awful lot of data and it's very, very difficult to find in the website. So it appears that Laura and ICANN IT staff are actually involved in finding people that have library-type skills in terms of being able to help tag and properly index materials for the website. So this is actually one of the things that was really good for me.

In addition to the context that Glenn and I made regarding building up interest in ICANN, possibly getting some new interest in ALSes. But this was more a matter of getting the word out, the concept that Internet governance and Internet issues were important to people. Net neutrality was on a lot of people's minds given the recent FCC decision in the US.

Obviously, ICANN doesn't really tread in the water of net neutrality, but it did bring Internet governance into the fora, which made it much easier to talk about ICANN.

I'll leave it at that. I was very satisfied with the way that meeting went. Glenn, your hand is still up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah. I just want to add I did spent time with Steve Allison quite a bit. He works for Chris Gift. He's going to join us on a call on [inaudible] information knowledge management. It goes back to the ATLAS II

---

deliverables. So he is very interested in working around how to deal with those volumes of pages and volumes of content in a management information system.

So I took him around to a lot of really good people dealing with big data and a lot of the CRM people. And since this is our second year at it, I'm going to tell you all it's so important to develop a relationship with really good events like N10. Not expensive, great contacts.

As Laura, Steve, and Dan York and others can tell you, it's really well done. So I recommend maybe next year somebody else go to N10, [inaudible] me or Evan. But we'll be happy to make some contacts for you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: All right. Joly, your hand is up. Go ahead.

JOLY MACFIE: How's my mic now? Is it better?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Slightly. Go ahead.

JOLY MACFIE: I just wanted to mention that I did the web cast on the Freedom to Connect Conference last week, which was a good conference. I'm going to post the URL here. Obviously there was a champagne toast to the



---

fact that we got the net neutrality title to a decision. It was a lot of background to that, including Gigi Sohn, who works with the FCC.

The one thing that came out of it is the delay on seeing that information is that the Republican Commissioners gave lengthy [decents], so they have to answer every aspect of those [decents] within the order before they actually issue it, otherwise it can be challenged. So that's why the delay is [in the stuff] coming out.

But there's a lot of good stuff there. I know there's so much video to watch, but I can recommend going in there. And the [inaudible] presentation where he pulls apart the whole [inaudible] is also a great piece of hearing.

Nothing too much kind of ICANN oriented in there, but a good thing.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Thanks, Joly. On that, having heard that nobody had any other business, does anybody have any last questions or comments? We are at the top of the hour, one minute over. We have accomplished everything on the agenda. Does anyone have any last questions or comments before we adjourn? Going once, going twice. You've all been so peaceful this morning. I am amazed.

We're finishing just about on time. Thank you to everybody. This meeting is adjourned. Thanks very much.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**