

---

GISELLA GRUBER:                   Lovely, wonderful. Well, good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the APRALO monthly call on Thursday, the 26<sup>th</sup> of March at 16:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Siranush Vardanyan, Holly Raiche, Ali AlMeshal, Maureen Hilyard, Tomohiro Fujisaki, Lianna Galstyan, Amal Al-Saqqaf, Toshio Tachibana, Satish Babu, and Suhaidi Hassan.

Apologies noted from Yannis Li, Kitamura Yasuichi, and Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Philadel Yeo, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

We have Chinese interpretation today, and our interpreters are Jessie Doherty and Yi Yi Johnson.

If I can please remind everyone to please state your names when speaking, not only for transcript purposes, but to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel. And also to speak at a reasonable speed to allow for accurate interpretation. Thank you and over to you Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:           Thank you Gisella, thank you very much. And welcome, again, everyone to APRALO call. Today we have not a specific call tall than we usually have, but we try to change it and so we'll see if it works better, or...

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

Anyway, in the APRALO region, it's difficult to find the best timing, but we are trying.

And we have a couple of things on our table to discuss, but let us start with briefing on current ALAC consultations and initiatives. And I would like to give the floor to Holly to provide some updates, where we are now. Holly, the floor is yours.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Right now, the policy, where we're up to, we, if you're just looking at the agenda, sorry, mid-screen. The translation and transliteration, that was a statement that was, I think that was the issue about, with the new gTLDs, the new generic top level domains, sorry. In the ICN, it was about the contact information, and whether it had to be in ASCII or it had to be in the, another language that was supported.

And we adopted that statement. The next one that we adopted was the potential change to the registrant accreditation insurance. I think Tijani even made a major contribution or adopted that one. That the insurance requirements were important, and perhaps a barrier, oh. Why has the screen gone away? That's all right. You can see the agenda on the side.

And Tijani was pointing out that for some countries, the requirement for insurance was steep, and it might be a barrier for some registrars, and that was reflected in the statement. I'm not sure about the [IN] implementation. The GNSO policy and implementation working group is something that I actually [inaudible]. That was about, and it was, it was about the issue of policies being adopted by the GNSO, the process

---

involved, and the extent to which implementation involved, are the same people who are involved in policy development.

It actually was a lot broader than that because it suggested some other policies be adopted by the GNSO, if it's not to be a rule that's finding on the registrars through the RAA. That's been adopted as well. So that's actually four statements that have been voted on. In the process of being drafted, Leon is working on the right protection mechanism. I haven't had a chance to look at that, but at the moment, I think that's still open.

The release of country and territory names, that has not yet had a person assigned to that one. I think we haven't made up our mind as to whether that's going to be comment or not. We haven't yet made up our minds, and we will in the next day or so, about the internationalized registration data expert working group. That's part of a much larger issue about privacy and about the, oh.

I would hate to get into that because it is a huge issue. It has to do with the tension between the RAA requirements for WHOIS data to be public, and privacy rights of the registrant in various jurisdictions. What has happened is a WHOIS report came out, highlighting that issue. The Board, two years ago, said, "We maybe need to stand back and think of whether we need a completely different approach."

The expert working group came up with a very different approach. It was accepted by the Board, and now we're in the stage of what are we going to do about it? And I imagine probably Alan and I, maybe even somebody like Carlton Samuels, who was an integral part of that

---

working group, will be involved, because that's a very important policy statement that we just need... We also need a lot of [inaudible]. And in fact, at some point, I should probably run a webinar on privacy issues raised by a number of working groups, some of which I'm on, and some in which Carlton has been on.

I don't know where we're up to with the operating plan budget. I think that, Leon and I think that is Cheryl. Any questions?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Holly, thank you. This is a great update. Any questions to Holly, relating to this update? And thanks also for highlighting the parts where there is a need for comment. So please keep in mind that there are some policies where we need comments from the members. So your voice is highly appreciated to be heard there. I don't see any hands raised, any questions Holly, so let's move to the next agenda item.

APRALO APAC hub webinar. You know that we all started with, and I would like to give the floor to Ariel to talk about this new webinar, upcoming webinar.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you Siranush. This is Ariel speaking. Hello everyone. [Inaudible] on this call as well, and the upcoming webinar is organized by APAC staff team, in terms of logistics. Is that okay if we invite Philadel to walk us through the details for the upcoming webinar?

---

PHILADEL YEO:

Hi everyone. This is [inaudible] here. I hope you can hear me. So just let me go through the webinar details, if that's okay? So, APAC webinar, what are IDNs and what does it mean to you? Will take place on the 9<sup>th</sup> of April, which is a Thursday, while the APAC hub does hold webinars every two months, every second Thursday of every two months.

So for this one, we are collaborating with APRALO, and understand that you have your capacity webinars that you wish to run. And the first one will be in collaboration with us. So, but now we'll be held at 3:00 UTC, and we have sent the invitations out. And the agenda includes introduction to Mr. Suhaidi Hassan, our IDN program senior manager, as well as, what are internationalized domain names? What does it mean to you? IDN work at ICANN.

And we have confirmed that Edmund will be sharing the community perspective as well, a 10 minute sharing session. Why and how you can involve, followed by a Q&A. So that's the agenda of the APAC webinar. So actually, that's basically it. Anything you would like to know about this webinar?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

This is Siranush here. Thank you very much for this update. I think this is the very important part of collaboration between APRALO and APAC hub, and this is the start of the period of webinar which we are planning to that. So I encourage all of our participants to participate in those webinars. And these are the topics which you have sent us to organize, to be organized, and so this webinars are for you, especially for the

---

newcomers, new ALSs, and those who are already a part of APRALO for longer period.

So please take this advantage to participate in this webinar, and raise your issues and questions to the presenters. Silvia, I see your hand is raised, please, this floor is yours.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, thank you very much. This is Silvia. I just wanted to make one comment that one important [inaudible] of these webinars, this one, the upcoming one, it is that everyone has the opportunity to ask questions in advance of the webinar. You can send questions to the organizers, to us, to staff, so you can communicate with the speakers in advance, and let them know where you would like to see the presentation, in manner of complexity.

If there are any questions [inaudible], that will help with the webinars to be more effective. So that's an important feature. And the other one is that we are also trying to make this webinar interactive. So at the end of the webinar, we [inaudible] send questions about how [inaudible], and to provide feedback, so we can have an evaluation, and continue improving the quality of the webinars.

And [inaudible] is to determine the following things. There are many things that have been put forward, and so we need to collaborate with AP hub, and [inaudible] and all of APRALO, to determine the things that we would like to see in the upcoming webinars. Thank you.

---

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Silvia. And I would also like to advance that, Siranush Vardanyan here. That the webinar for now will be offered only in English, but we are cooperating and coordinating with APAC hub. So the idea is to implement other languages. And if there would be any ideas which language you would like to add, and which language you would like to hear, the webinar, please let us know and we can discuss, in case of possibility to organize it.

So Philadel, please.

PHILADEL YEO: Hi everyone. This is Philadel again. Just to add on to Silvia's point about feedback. Normally what we do is, after the APAC webinar, we will send out a thank you note to everybody who participated, as well as include a link to a survey form via Survey Monkey, to get feedback.

So of course, if there is any feedback, I would be more than happy to share it with everyone. Thank you. Thanks all from me.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah, thanks for this. And at least this webinars are organized in a very good timing for Asia-Pacific region, so take this advantage and participate because these webinars are specifically for our region. That's why we are able to organize in a little bit good timing. So I have chance to use and participate in those webinars.

So, are there any questions related to those webinars? And the first one is in April, you'll receive the invitation. So please keep in mind that date. Any questions from participants? I don't see any, yes? Holly?

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Pointing out Lianna in the chat, wants to be, would like to participate.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah, I see Lianna, you're... Yes, I know that you are participating and involved in the IDN process in Armenia, so please, the floor is yours if you want to say something. I'm not sure...

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Can you hear me?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, yes we can hear you.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Okay, great. I want to say, really, I appreciate APRALO for this initiation of webinar planning. And since I'm involved in the IND process, I really would like to take part in this webinar series. And we are very close, we have very close relations with [inaudible], while [inaudible] our LGR rules. And I want to say thank you for this great opportunity for us to participate.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Lianna. Siranush here. Thank you and please participate, and please share the concerns which we have, or the successes which we have with IDN processes here in Armenia, with the rest of the Asia



---

Pacific region. And please provide your input, as much as possible. Thank you. Any additional questions to this topic?

No. And just know that there is a need for RSVP for the invitation. Please, send your approval or disapproval for participation. Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you Siranush. Just a follow up on the first question you posted about languages for future webinars, for interpretation. Would you like to continue [inaudible] opinion on the call from participants? Or do that offline?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Are you asking me or are you asking the participants?

ARIEL LIANG:

Yeah, because I just didn't hear any follow up on that on the call, so just to make sure we address that issue on this call. But if there is not call to address what potential languages for participation, we can do that offline.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

I think that after the first webinar, we can ask ALSs to provide input if any additional languages needed for translation. At this point, I'm not sure if...

---

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thank you. Sorry, and the second question I have, would you still like Silvia to show us the curriculum from LACRALO, as they have developed a potential list of topics for their webinar series?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I have received Silvia's LACRALO courses. I think that we also discussed with [inaudible] the topics which had been sent by APRALO ALSs. So we have the list of topics, which is also based on LACRALO selected topics. So we decided that we would start with the topics already there, what we have. And then if there would be need for additional topics, or there will be any requests for additional webinars, topics for webinars and we may think about a new webinar to be organized.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you very much.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: But if, Ariel, if I can request, you can send the list of webinars, which are planned within our APRALO and APRICOT, to APRALO members, so they are aware. So that we are already putting this topics, yeah, we have this in our screen now. But for those who are not today for the call, they may know that everyone will know, and will have in their mailing, mailboxes that we have these topics to be organized.

So people maybe just aware of what kind of topics we already put in our agenda. Silvia, please.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO:

This is Silvia. Regarding the document that is shown on the screen, just for everyone to understand, those are the things selected by LACRALO. The approach is different, it goes from very basic level to intermediate and then advanced. So [inaudible] approach to these things.

[Inaudible], and I wanted to share it to show how envision this. But of course, APRALO is completely free to organize it according to thematic areas, or subject matter, or relevance in time, etc. So this is just an example of how it could be done [inaudible] think it's appropriate. We can continue discussing how to, as the webinars are rolled out, we can even adjust the things down the road.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Silvia. Thank you. And I would just ask our ALSs to provide feedback, because these webinars are for you, for all of us to know more about the details, about where we are, where we can be, or different topics related to ICANN, to DNS. So for different constituencies within ICANN. So this is all for us, and if... It is good or bad, or it's working or not, so we need your feedback to understand that.

Do you need those webinars in general, to be organized for different topics. So if we can't hear from you, then we can't improve what we have initially put on the table. So please provide feedback any time you think there is a need to provide it, and you want your, for us to improve somehow, to make it better. So please, come up with your ideas.

Silvia, is it a new hand or is it an old one?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yeah. I'm just noting that this is an action item for us to take the list of webinars that we have decided, once you send it to us and put it on the Wiki page, so everyone can see.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, thank you very much. And I'm also going to put this, the link to this in our monthly report. So people will be knowing how to find it. Lianna, please.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Yes. Siranush, I just have a question regarding this basic level topic. It, me, provide kind of a webinar on this basic level. I see ISEC DNS, what is an IP, domain name, etc. Will we have a [inaudible] in our [inaudible]? So that to reach out to our members who are really new in this domain name ecosystem, IGF ecosystem, so that to give them an opportunity to learn later on, not only those who participate in this webinar, but later on to take part in, to show them a document.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Lianna. Siranush here. I think that we already discussed with APAC hub that all documents and all webinars will be available for all ALSs, and we'll be posted in our Wiki. So you will have the access to not only the webinar records there, but all to all documents discussed or posted during the webinars. And you can use them in the future for outreach purposes, or for information, or public awareness for others. Yes Silvia?

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sorry for interrupting. Just one more thing regarding this. All of the webinars will be recorded and transcribed, and they're recording, the transcriptions are coming out very soon in the next 24 hours after the webinars. And the PowerPoint presentations also will be posted. So everybody can review afterwards as well.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent, excellent. Thank you Silvia. Any questions related to this webinars from participants? So I don't see any questions or any hands raised there. So let us move to agenda item four, which is ALAC review, and I would like to give the floor to Holly, to provide the updates, where we are now. Holly, please.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you very much. And I'll just wait until the presentation is uploaded by Gisella, thank you very much. Here we go. Whoops. I don't really want the agenda, I want the slide presentation. That's all right.

I'll start anyway. At the moment, well we are, we're in the process, we being ALAC, and I'll back up a little bit. The bylaws of ICANN, generally, really are constant review for efficiency, effectiveness. So there is a what's called the structural review committee, which generally is a Board committee. And they oversee the sort of structural review processes at the Board, and all of the Board's, well all of us, underneath

---

the GNSO, [inaudible], are reviewed for our own sort of efficiency, effectiveness, what is it that we're trying to do?

How are we doing it? What are we doing well? Can we do it better? So, all of us have undergone reviews. The ALAC review that was last held started in 2008. It took approximately over a year, and then there is implementation, timeframes, some action items are still, they're ongoing, not undone, they're ongoing. Now do I have control over these slides?

There we go. Yeah. Okay. This particular presentation was given at the Singapore meeting for the people who go to the Singapore, to ICANN meetings. But not everybody does, so I'll just go through the main points of the ALAC review. The first thing to be said is that the ALAC review 2008, are the RALOs were barely in place, certainly there were not many ALSs. So the review largely focused on ALAC itself, on its own documentation, its own effectiveness.

In 2015, and there have been a number of changes that have been, well, many years of the activity of all five RALOs, and many more ALSs. So this review is going to be focused far more on both the RALOs and the ALSs. Now, let's see if I can... Here we go. Okay. The review, Ray is a Board member and he is the one who is in charge of the structural improvements review community. Our contact on the Board will be Ray [inaudible] and Marissa. And the actual process itself, the objective generally for reviews, it's a requirement of ICANN bylaws for the, examining the organizational effectiveness.

---

And, in fact, another objective of our review, the last section of ICANN to be reviewed was the GNSO review. There were a lot of lessons learned there. I've actually talked with some of the people in GNSO and Larissa about that review. There is much to be learned there, when undertake a review of ourselves. So those would be the two objectives.

What will happen is there will be an independent examiner. That person or organization will be selected by competitive bids that is put out by the Board based on agreed criteria, and there will be a contract, which is very clearly set out, what we expect of the independent examiner. The working party is a working party of ALAC. And two members from each RALO make up the working party.

And it's the working party that is a liaison between structural improvements committee, ALAC, the At-Large community itself, and the independent examiner. Our working methods really would be to look at the documentation, both from the GNSO review and from the 2008 ALAC review. There are still some reports, some observations. There is an online tool for independent assessment, which will be undertaken.

There is an opportunity for limited interviews, and that will be part of what we look at now. This is the timeline for this review. The planning stage is now. It started, January, February. It will end in the end of June. The review itself is going to take place at the end of June, between nine and 12 months. That will include probably the Dublin meeting, ICANN meeting in October. At the end of the review, there will be recommendations, out of planning on how the implementation should take place. And then there will be the nine to 12 months to actually implement the outcomes of the review.

---

As you can see, it's a bit circular. We will be doing this again in a few years time. Again, this is the timeframe. Let's go back to where we are, which is the planning stage. The planning stage is being developed right now by Larissa and her team. We formed a working party, and there is one or two other people from another RALO that have to be identified, but it will be two individuals from each RALO, plus myself, overseen by Alan and Cheryl.

And it's the CIS that's going to select the examiner. We will be talking to Larissa, the working party, and any feedback we would like, as any criteria for the examiner will be part of that. And as I said, July to March, it's going to be the review, it's going to be... This is the stage in which there will be any interviews that we think should happen, any process we recommend, writing up the report and the recommendations.

And then there will be the development of independent plans that will have to fit into obviously a budget and a Board plans. And then, there will be an oversight of implementation, which again will take you to June 17. So, what we've got here, it's just standard operating procedure. That there will be some operational experience, we all learn tracking and monitoring of implementation.

And finally, self-assessment. Have we done what we said we would do? And are the improvements that we thought were necessary taking place? Now, there is one slide here, which is important. Just what happens when. We talked about the examination of the documentation, looked at the last report, and as part of the review, the interviews.



---

The report itself, is written after the nine to 12 months of the actual process. And the implementation plan, which will involve the implementation committee and possibly has to have Board approval. It will need ALAC discussion, [inaudible] discussions will. And finally, these are the roles that we all play. That's the structural improvements review committee. They have oversight, they accept the report, they approved the plan and what should be here is oversight of selecting the examiner.

Staff have a number of roles, which would be mainly support and outreach. The independent examiner has, obviously, the main task of undertaking the review. And this is what we will do, which is to assist outreach to all of the RALOs. To actually coordinate an initial 360 review of a few people, critical people. We will be suggesting and perhaps coordinating interviews with the people we think should be interviewed.

Now that's, not everybody can be interviewed, so we would just like to identify a few key people in each RALO. We will be providing any kind of clarification, correction. And then preparing the implementation plan, probably with some backup from the CIS and the independent examiner. And finally, the staff will develop an At-Large [business]. This is critical. This is the link, and this takes you to Wiki. That's the GNSO. And there is a lot of key information there which is useful.

Whoops. I want to go down here. What we don't have, Ariel if you could just put in the chat the link to our Wiki, because Ariel and Heidi have set up a Wiki page which has a link to the outcomes from the 2008

---

report. And the material that we're gathering now for this report, this whole slide pack will be on there.

Marissa has also developed a fact sheet, which is very helpful. So that link will actually have everything about the review on it. Now, any questions so far? Because what I have asked of each RALO, and I'm asking this RALO as well, what should we be asking the independent examiner to look at? What are the issues you think are important for this RALO? And what would be the names of two or three individuals from this RALO that should be interviewed by the independent examiner.

Now I've asked that question of the other RALOs, and I will be getting back to Larissa, probably in a weeks' time. I would like to meet with the working party, which would be people from all of the RALOs, to gather together the sort of issues that people think we should be talking, the independent examiner should be looking at, with a list of people who should be interviewed. So, Siranush, that's a bit of a task, an action item for everyone on this call, and indeed, everyone in the RALO.

So any questions?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Holly. And thank you for the detailed presentation. I think this is important review process, which may take a couple of months. And it will be conducted on a RALO level, on ALS level, on ALAC level, so everybody will be involved here. And please put this, I would like to ask staff to put this as an action item for ALSs to provide any input, what should be reviewed, as a part of this review process. And if there is

---

anything you would like to raise now, please do it. Any questions from, why we need this review? Why it is being done?

So Holly explained this quite well. I would like to add that we have two members from our RALO, as a part of this team. One ALAC member, Maureen Hilyard, and as a RALO member, Ali AlMeshal. So there are part of this review process. So we also have chair and the vice-chair of this review team also from APRALO. So I think that APRALO is quite well represented in this review process, but we also need an input from ALS level, to this process.

So I would encourage ALSs to provide any input on this At-Large review. Holly, if I may ask you also to send this through our mailing list, and ask people to provide their input, that would be great for those who are not in this call. Yes, thank you very much. And thanks staff, to put this as an action item. I think this is a good chart. And the outcome of this, I'm looking, actually, on personal level, I also looking forward to the outcome of this review process.

Any questions to this? I don't see any questions. It is not in our agenda, but I would like the next one to talk about the ALS survey. The survey which we have sent to our ALSs, to provide there [inaudible], and to identify what expertise we have in our RALOs. I would like to give the floor to Maureen to provide some update. And I think that Maureen will also speak a little bit about maybe providing one week extension for the deadline, to ask ALSs to those who didn't submit the results, didn't fill in the survey, to do this. Maureen?

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Siranush. This is Maureen for the record. And I would like to thank all of those who did participate in the survey. I must admit, one of the first things that I was not going to do, was that I wasn't going to put people's names on it. But...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: ...so you can see that the name, oh. Sorry, can you all hear me?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, yes, we can hear you. We just lost your voice for a couple of seconds.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, okay. Sorry, it's my phone line. Yeah, we decided, I decided to put the names of everyone who participated, because I really did feel really grateful that we actually got, that we've got the support for the survey. I think that if you, if you have a look... Do I have control over this?

If you have a look at the survey, I've tried to keep it very simple. But sort of like, looking at it, there was a pretty good range of professional backgrounds, and in our little APRALO community. [Inaudible] because I don't want to spend too much time on it, because people can actually look at it on their own time. It's one the website for everyone to view.

---

So we've got sufficient background, and it's really good to actually have, and I will [inaudible]... listed in financial, I was actually hoping Ali would.

But we do require, you know, a full range of schools within APRALO, so it's sort of like the effects of the [inaudible] and our contribution. I can't control this. Is this going up and down? We were looking at, sorry. I actually, here we go. Yeah, okay. Sorry, I'm just trying to get some control here.

All right, okay. Looking at page two, the top of page two. Areas of interest. It was probably obvious, I thought, that Internet governance was going to be a feature. I mean, that was something I predicted early, early on. And I sort of like think that we firmly, ISOC chapters in our APRALO, particularly amongst those who actually responded. And I think that was actually quite relevant. So that, so it was a good interest over a lot of topics. So that was actually [inaudible] for us.

One of the interesting things, of course, was only 38% of our ALSs are actually English as a first language. So, Ariel was asking about other languages which we might have interpreters for in the future, and it's pretty obvious that as our ALS numbers grow, that that may become more significant. But with this particular survey, it probably doesn't sort of like, there was no stand out sort of stand out for language. But it's something to be considered in the future.

We were looking at ALSs. There was a good range of ALSs, as I mentioned, and a good range of levels of responsibility within those ALSs, which was also very, very important. Because they are sort of viewed as, like, what is the contact between your ALS and your

---

community? So we sort of like to think that ALSs do have that insight, have people that were influenced to actually reach out into the community, and to inform people about what it is that ICANN is doing.

And I think that one of the interesting things that came out of it too, was that, you know, there are, even amongst those who actually responded, there are some that actually aren't directly engaged in a working group, or anything. But I think attending meetings and participating in meetings, is really, really important. And it's actually logged, so I think that we get a good idea of the people who actually are involved.

I mean, looking at the list of people who are here at our meeting tonight, is really significant. So when we're actually doing our ALS reviews on, and looking at how active some of our ALS members are, I think that when we've got 42 registered ALSs, and only 18 respond, or however many there are, we're actually sort of like, it's actually not a good look, at the moment. So, you know, like I mean, I think it would be really...

It would be useful if we could leave the survey open for a couple of more weeks, and to see if we can get more people to be involved. I hope you do that. Are there any questions?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Maureen. And I agree with others who posted in the chat that this is really very informative report, and this is indeed, an important feedback received by ALSs. And I hope that with the exception for, until the end of March to probably to the end of 31<sup>st</sup> of

---

March, we will have more ALSs to provide their feedback, and for filling this survey.

This is very important for our future work as well. So this is really amazing, and I thank you for coordinating this stuff, and providing this really informative and interesting report to our members. Staff, if I can ask you also to put this as an action item, the extension of survey until March 31<sup>st</sup>. And I also, I will send the information about the extension to the mailing list, but if I can ask staff to help with sending the private messages to ALSs who didn't participate, this may be helpful as well, to bring them to filling this survey.

This will be really very helpful from staff. Any questions related to this survey, and any questions from participants to Maureen about the result and brief analysis?

No questions? [CROSSTALK]

MAUREEN HILYARD:

...if I can make one point, please. [CROSSTALK] it's a great idea because, sorry, Maureen for the record. I think it's a good idea to allow more time for people to participate, and I think that it's... The individual approach would be really good.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Yeah, yeah. I think so the individual approach also may help us to bring more people.

---

Any questions related to this? If there are no questions, I will just move to agenda item five, which is our ALS spotlight. For those who are not aware about this initiative, APRALO used to have, doing every monthly call we ask one ALS to provide the information related to their own ALS, of what they are doing, where they are involved, what kind of fields they are working in their own community, what kind of projects or activities they are implementing. And this is really very useful for others to know the ALSs.

I think that we need to start, restart actually this, spotlight presentations from ALS. And I would ask, to request volunteers for the next call. So per one ALS, one ALS per each monthly call to provide a spotlight. If staff, I can ask you to put the link to the spotlight page which we had, and people can go and see what ALSs were providing, what kind of presentations they were doing, this maybe also helpful.

For those who are not aware about this spotlight [inaudible] which APRALO used to have, but I think that this will be good also for the new ALSs joining APRALO, to provide the information relating to their ALS. Are there any volunteers, for this call, who are part of this call, who would like to provide a presentation for the next call? Please be more active.

I see Heidi is putting something, but I'm not sure if this is related to what I have said. Anyway, we will also send this information to, okay. Heidi is thanking Maureen, and looking forward to the review result. But I will send this information also to our mailing list, and if there are any volunteers to provide information, to do a presentation about their ALS, it would be really very appreciated.



---

Okay. So let's move to the next agenda item. I think the agenda item seven, CROPP one slot. I have just one information to share, and then we'll go to agenda item six, the report from APRICOT participation. We have one slot, and we were thinking about using, provide the possibility for our participants to go for Asia Pacific IGF, but then we found out that this is in July. So it's not within the fiscal year, this fiscal year.

So it's within the fiscal year. And we have one slot yet for this fiscal year. If you have any important event going on in your region, and you would like to participate, please go and review the CROPP submission details. And if you have any questions related to this, Ali AlMeshal will help you to direct to the correct spaces to find out the information.

So we have this one slot to be used, and please, try to do it. And I will give this floor to Satish and Maureen, to provide the update from their APRICOT participation. Just briefly, if you can, Maureen, please provide it.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you Siranush. I know that Gisella is trying to get the report up. Here it is. Okay. One of the things, I hope Satish doesn't mind that I'm going first. One of the things that I was actually mindful of when I was actually doing my report, was trying to find a way that would first off, allow people to get a good picture in a very brief amount of time, about how [inaudible] perhaps our CROPP experience.

Not only for our APRALO meetings, for the CROPP committee as well. So the little table at the top, we had five objectives, and three objectives we felt we had achieved, and that was raising awareness,

---

increasing our networking links, and meeting with other ICANN and ALS members in a different environment from our normal ICANN meetings, which was really, it was a really interesting time.

I'm sure Satish will agree. We also thought we partially achieved meetings with partnering other networks, in that we had hoped to, would like to have more formal meetings with them. They were sort of like informal, and we probably didn't achieve as much as we sort of like felt we could have, if we probably had been a little bit more organized [inaudible] probably.

And the not achieved was actually, I had prepared a survey specifically for undertaking, at the APRICOT, probably thinking that Satish and I would have a lot of downtime, and we'd have lots of opportunity to talk to people and survey them. So we were surprised to find that, in fact, APNIC had, was actually also taking a survey, and so they spent their time interviewing us.

So, and there was the other meetings that we were organizing, plus the other activities that we became involved in and the other people that we met. We just didn't have time. And also, Satish's time was actually only two days at the event. So it was somewhat constrained even more. But I think the report is only two pages long, and there is another thing that I sort of like wanted to do, was to try to compact everything into a short report that didn't rave on too much, hopefully, but feed out the important things.

And I think that in the time that Satish and I were together, and we were talking about what values the meeting had for us, as APRALO

---

leaders, I think that one of the things that we sort of like found was that we need, some of the things within our region, like we all are focusing on what we can do to contribute to the ALSs. But we should really be focusing on things that are important to our region, and I think the webinars are partway to going towards us.

It's basically on us. You know like, if we can't... As long as we can sort of like develop us as a region, I think we're going somewhere towards making it better for our contribution to ALAC. And so there was sort of like, we did sort of feel that we should actually move more towards, focusing on what would be good for, what is good for APRALO. And we also thought that by focusing on creating working groups, and this was actually something that someone came up with in the survey, like, what would actually make you participate more?

Was that if we, we need to focus more on what is important to us, as the large region that we are. We are so diverse within our own region, that we really need to sort of look at, okay, what are the commonalities and how can we make it work better? And once more, those little studies that we do within our own regions, really, we could actually use that research and that working together, for creating proposals for the IGF, regional IGF, perhaps for the next APRICOT meeting.

That we've actually got a panel of people who can actually talk on a particular topic, because they're actually being part of a working group that's actually focused on that. I think too, one of the things that, I mean, Siranush has raised just earlier about the spotlight, the four meetings that APNIC have had, they sort of like keep a few minutes [inaudible]... And they would allow people to have a one minute

---

spotlight. [Inaudible] But for us, we could do that, and have a one minute so that, one minute spotlight, 30 seconds even, where anyone who has got something on top within their region would like to tell the others.

So it's probably after where everybody knows what everybody else does. But it would be really good for people to be able to present to the others, just a little snippet of information about what is happening in their regions. And I think that probably one of the first things that we went was an [A-Pin] meeting, which was [inaudible] to a meeting which we didn't even know existed. And we sort of linked to the [inaudible] quite by accident.

And it's really amazing, because they were talking about agriculture, and Satish and I [inaudible] were explaining what we were doing in agriculture in our area. And they were quite blown away by it. So they invited us back. And unfortunately, Satish couldn't go to those, but it was on language and culture. Very interesting. And using IT in academic research and test that.

But I think, most importantly for me, and I will conclude after this, it was a really great opportunity to meet up with our ISOC Japan ALS, as well the APNIC people that we met, Edmund and Yannis, and their crew. Fantastic. It's really great to meet them in an environment, we're always rushing around and we're rushing around, and sort of like just saying, hi. We were actually able to stop, have a coffee, have a chat. It was really lovely.

---

And so I really do thank APRALO and CROPP for giving me the opportunity to attend. The end.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen, thank you very much. This is really a very good report, and I also share Silvia's point here that I like the recommendations to APRALO, about the ALS spotlight. Came back to my mind after reading your report. So you have the part of it, your input in this. And I think that in case if we don't get any volunteers for a big presentation, we may use this 30, 60 seconds to say something about your ALS approach, which is, I like even more.

So we can use this during our face to face meetings, and sometimes during our online monthly calls. Really, I like also this CROPP issues part...

SILVIA VIVANCO: I see we lost Siranush. Siranush, are you on? [CROSSTALK] We are calling her back.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Am I back?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Siranush, you are back.

---

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, great. So I wanted to, just finishing what I wanted to say, that this CROPP issues, I think, our member in this CROPP team, Ali and Cheryl, will be using to share with the CROPP team to take into consideration for the future cases. So I think that we have also Amal who said that he would prefer the idea of one minute ALS rather than a longer presentation.

Okay, we'll consider this as well. So maybe we will not have the big presentations, but a quick one minute, or two minute, presentation by ALSs during one of the calls or during one of the face to face meetings. Okay. Good. So we have one agenda item eight, which is information about our next APRALO meeting, which will take place on April 23<sup>rd</sup>. It will be, again, at 5 UTC, from 6 UTC. So the information about this will be sent to the mailing list as usual.

And under AOB, if there is anything you would like to add. Yes, I see Lianna, hand raised, please Lianna.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Yes Siranush. Thank you. This is Lianna Galstyan speaking. I have news to share with all of you. Just a couple of minutes. Recently multistakeholder Internet governance council was founded in Armenia. So you can add a new acronym to your known acronym list, IGC. This includes several government ministries representatives, academia [inaudible] and geo Internet service providers, and major operators. As you see, this is multistakeholder [inaudible] with all stakeholder groups involved.

---

The structure of the [inaudible] was approved by the Prime Minister of Armenia. And ISOC Armenia was appointed as a secretariat as the council. [Inaudible] as a secretary. I am also involved in the secretariat's work, such as the [type management], correspondence management, setting up relations with ITF of other countries.

We already set up a mailing list, and it's on the website. The address is IGF dot AM, which will be ready soon. The IGC has already started working. At the last meeting, a plan of action was discussed, and it was proposed as part of preparation for the first Armenian IGF. One of the main tasks of the council is the organization of regular Armenian IGF.

We plan to organize the first one in autumn, probably in mid-September. The exact day will be defined soon. Now, we are discussing this with ICANN and [ISO] to ensure the participation as many as their representatives as possible. And I will keep you updated on this event. [CROSSTALK] Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

This is Siranush. Thank you Lianna, and I congratulate also ISOC Armenia for this really very good step forward in the direction. It's on, very multistakeholder approach. So the government, the business sector, the NGO sector, the academia, are all involved in this process. So I congratulate to ISOC Armenia for such initiative.

Any other issues under AOB? Anyone would like to say something?  
Anyone would like to share something?

---

If there is no one to say something, I just wanted to thank everyone for your participation. Thank also for all the reports and links provided during the call. And the staff to coordinate and facilitate and provide their support, as usual. I will be posting our monthly report very soon, and will be providing you the link to our mailing list.

So please keep in touch and follow up with requests that they're coming through our mailing list, through our ALSs. Thank you once again, and this is the end of today's call.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**