
GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ICANN Accessibility Taskforce call on Monday the 15th of December at 19:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Siranush Vardanyan, Christina Guirguis, Sylvia Herlein-Leite, and Greg Shatan.

We have apologies from Joly McFie.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Laura Bengford, Christopher Mondini, Joe Catapano; and myself, Gisella Gruber.

If I could please also remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. And before we start the call, if I can wish Cheryl a very, very happy birthday in Sydney today on the Tuesday, 16th of December. Thank you and over to you, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Gisella. Okay. Thanks for your awesome birthday wishes. I do apologize for the audio issues in the beginning, but I'm in a hotel room in Melbourne working with my mobile phone, which for some reason wasn't behaving as it normally would.

Let's get ourselves going with the beginning of our call, looking at a rather sad list of action items because there's not very many we can tick off today, which is a little bit disturbing.

The other thing is, if I could just note that working on my tablet as I am at the moment to be able to see the agenda, I won't be able to notice

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

hands at the same time, so can you just let me know if there's a hand up? At the same time I will do my best to switch between the two views. Bear with me if I miss an intervention for a moment or two. Let's go through the agenda and get through our action items.

The obviously ongoing one is for us to continue with our SWOT and SMART analysis, which is just a carryover from our Los Angeles meeting and will continue on until we finish that work.

The reason I haven't ticked off the action item on me in terms of contact with the San Francisco Bay member to join the advisory group that Laura brought it up to speed with in terms of planning in Los Angeles is because I'm still pending a response there, so I'll leave that un-ticked until we close that loop.

Then, going through the transcript from the meeting, I did expand some of these action items so that they made, perhaps, a little bit more sense and picked up on some of the particular points. So you'll notice a difference between what is in this agenda and what is listed on the action item page from the last meeting, which was on the 24th I think, if memory serves, of November.

Our next action item is for me to reach out to the Technology Taskforce and to make sure they can have a look at what's going on with captioning protocol in [inaudible] possible problems that some people have reported, although they seem to be isolated to just some operating systems with the recent upgrade of the Adobe Connect rooms, and particularly making sure that that includes mobile platforms, because as we know, a good number of members of the At-Large

community at least, but not certainly, limited to the At-Large community, people who are wanting to engage in ICANN operations are nowadays using mobile platforms either constantly, because it's the mechanism of choice in their country, or because they are traveling extensively.

That's still open, because Technology Taskforce and I have not completed that, and as a consequence of that, we were also hoping to have – we would now be planning our January meeting. So that's the January 5th meeting – to see if the Technology Taskforce could join us and, as we discussed at the last meeting, a good piece of our agenda time on the 5th of January dedicated to looking at the captioning issues, if there are indeed issues with the captioning. So that's remaining open.

Next one, again, on me is follow up with Laura. Laura, I've just been a bad girl and been far too busy doing other things, and I haven't followed up with you on this. I'm virtually down on bended knee now and apologizing for that. To see what progress has been made by ICANN with regards to looking at the caption tool choices, which I know is a subset of the previous action point. But it was very specific to do with Adobe Connect and that's part of what Greg was raising and is in another action item later, which of course is with some of the responsibilities of a company to ensure accessibility. It's quite probably that Adobe Connect has a good deal more in terms of optioning than we have available or making available to ourselves, and we need to follow up on that.

Laura, you and I still need to tic-tac-toe on that, and that's possibly something we can aim for, again, because it would fit in topic for the 5th of January.

And this is one that doesn't seem to have been picked up. Staff to put out a call to the list. If it went out, I do apologize, Silvia, but I didn't see it. To get started the small work team, as suggested by Gunela, and I'm assuming that Gunela was going to be part of that work team to identify current ICANN accessibility activities across the organization. If that occurred, then just let me know in the chat and we'll tick that one off. If it hasn't, then we need to [kick] it up and make it happen.

The next one, again, was staff requested to stock take any accessibility activities in all admin and management areas of ICANN. That is, I suspect, a valid subset of what the proposed work team would also be looking at. I have drawn that out as a separate action item, because it's a two-pronged approach. It's not just the work team identifying and looking across the organization, but specifically asking staff to look at a stock take. I know Laura is probably already well into that anyway and her staff, of course.

Also, the last one that seems to be – oh, no, not the last one for staff. Sorry guys. It's to put out a call to the list for a second work team. Now, this is what I extracted by going through the transcript. It appeared to me, to my reading, that there was also calls for a second work team to be formed to hold the pen on the outcomes from our prioritization discussion exercises.

And if that call went out again, great. But I don't remember seeing it. I have been somewhat preoccupied with other things shortly after that meeting, so I may have missed it. If it has been done, then let's just tick it off. If not, we need to do so.

Most importantly, the documents from that would need to be available for either our January meeting or our February face-to-face, and we can discuss that later in our planning for future meetings.

We finally got one to tick. Thank you, Gisella. I'm pretty sure you did put out the Doodle. I will, however, ask you to make sure we know exactly what [EGC] times we decided for the two January meetings in 2015.

Finally, staff – I'm not sure who – that wasn't clear from the transcript or the audio – to follow up with IT and Adobe as a supplier of services. Here this is the point that Greg raised. It may be that this one is redundant, if indeed that conversation is a repetition of one that happens earlier in the meeting when we were talking about Laura following up with Adobe Connect. But if it is redundant, we'll delete it. If not, we need to make sure that we do that follow up specifically.

This is something that we didn't pick out in another action item. There was mention that, if at all possible, it might be a good thing to have someone from Adobe talk or be present with us at the future work group meeting when we look at captioning. If that is to be either the first or second of the January meeting, we would need to organize that in advance.

I'm going to slip back and see if anybody has hands raised now. I'm not seeing anybody. That give us plenty of action items to continue on with. Any questions or discussions on any of that?

Silvia has mentioned in the chat, which I can also not see when I have that other screen open "Staff requested stock take. This will need to be [inaudible] to make it actionable. Could we have it as an objective instead of an action item?" I'm sure we can, Silvia. That won't be a problem at all. Would you like to suggest how you'd like that worded so it's easy, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes. I was trying to identify on a specific action and person that could be targeted. We can move forward and have some results. So perhaps an idea would be for me to give some to more like an objective, an overarching of objectives than an actionable action item. Yes, I am [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

So you think a stock take is an objective as opposed to an actionable item.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

[inaudible] stock take.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Silvia, I know you couldn't hear me earlier, but I certainly can't hear you now. Could you speak closer to the microphone? Sorry.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Better? Yes. Staff [inaudible] stock take any [inaudible] areas of ICANN. So [inaudible] trying to nail down to the specifics [inaudible] idea. I would request your guidance on this one, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I see Laura's hand up. Perhaps Laura is going to go at this more wisely. Over to you, Laura. You might be muted.

Silvia was speaking, Siranush.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Laura, can you speak? Are you muted?

LAURA BENGFORD: Can you hear me now?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Perfectly. Over to you, Laura.

LAURA BENGFORD: Thank you, Cheryl. I just have a quick update on the Adobe Connect Captions First pod. Just for the group, I know there's still some work to

be able to look at that from a business process perspective, but I did reach out to IT and it is possible for us to utilize the Captions First pod.

What we would need to do is incorporate some training and some instructions on how to use that to the folks who use the Adobe Connect, but it is not a technical problem for us to get the Captions First running with the Adobe Connect. I know we had the demo and we kind of already knew that, but we seem to be in a pretty good position to be able to offer that.

What we'll need to work, and a specific action item that would be following onto that, would be to look at the business process and the cost associated with that.

I know Chris Mondini is on this call as well. We chatted very briefly when he was here I think last week or the week before about maybe trying to see how we could accommodate that from a business process perspective. But from the technical side, it looks like we can add that as an option and be able to add some training documentation on how to use that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

That's excellent, Laura. Obviously things not only have to be possible, but practical. I think we did discuss, at least briefly, on our last call, there may need to be criteria which are established in that business page, as we already have in some of the Language Services support work that is done for the community within ICANN. The example there was given for certain language services such as real-time interpretation on conference calls. A minimum number of speakers of a particular

language as required to make it a viable and automatic assumption that that will occur. But there are of course always exceptions cases.

We have seen at least in the At-Large community, for example, where it was deemed that even though on a particular call there may not be what is I believe a minimum of three speakers in any given language to justify real-time interpreters, there are some informational exercises which are deemed so important that the archive in those languages is made and used for on-demand access. That's very much part of the building a business case which is, as you pointed out, so important. It's good to see that we're getting started.

What we might do is come back to this a little bit later when your advisory committee is formed and functional, because whilst we've agreed to form it in principle for you, I don't believe it's functional yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, Laura.

LAURA BENGFORD:

That's correct.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay, thanks. So that's something that I think would be very much part of their bailiwick and something that they can of course act as assistant to help business case develop what those rules and criteria would be.

Christopher, did you want to put anything from your point of view on this before we move on?

CHRIS MONDINI: I may be muted. Can you hear me? It's Chris Mondini.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We can hear you perfectly, Christopher. Go ahead.

CHRIS MONDINI: I wanted to second exactly what Laura said and exactly what you said. I'm in complete alignment and happy to help as we formulate those positions and business plans. Happy to hear that a lot of the groundwork has already been put in place.

The Stakeholder Engagement Team working with the community really has as its aim a future pipeline of increasingly diverse talents and diversity on many, many metrics – geographic and sector and stakeholder category and so forth. And certainly for the accessibility and for those with disabilities, this is part of that mission.

It's very helpful to me to have every single tool at our disposal to be able to be welcoming for that future pipeline as we bring them in. Again, I'm happy to help as the business case gets to be and the use cases gets to be put together, as Laura mentioned.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Excellent. I think particularly with the recognized importance, but also the fact that it is in so many international meetings an expected, if not standard, form of art. Captioning is a tool that of course would be, I won't say low-hanging fruit but certainly a very obvious thing to go

through the exercise as a piece of this practice. So we look forward to that.

Is there any other discussion on this? Note we will come back to it to discuss which of our two January meetings, in case I'm already seeing some people saying they may have difficulty with the 5th of January, which of our two January meetings we'll want to focus specifically on captioning for. Judith, anything from you? You're the champion of captioning for us, after all. If you're not on audio, it doesn't matter. I just wanted to make sure. You can always pop something into the chat, but you are championing this. Thank you. There you go. Go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sorry. I wasn't on audio and it took me a while. I've had some Adobe Connect – a lot of people have Adobe Connect issues today.

So January works fine for me, but I think the question is – I missed the beginning, but what's the agenda of the January 5th meeting for the [on] captioning?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

That's pretty much the last agenda item for today and we will actually discuss whether it's better to be the January 5th or 26th, depending on who can make it. But the agenda is that's when we have the cross-check with Technology Taskforce joining us again. Laura will have obviously a little bit more information about what she's been talking about, that there is not a technical issue for us to use the Caption First pod at all.

There is simply developing it – well, hardly simply. It's important for us to develop a business case and there will be training associated with it and all that sort of thing. So we can go through all of that and devote a good amount of time to trying to get at least the use of captioning as part of the suite of tools, and an appropriate business case being developed for that for ICANN.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

In today's Technology Taskforce meeting, Beran was also commenting about the other uses for that because there's a lot of bandwidth constrained members in At-Large who could also very much benefit from having the captioning feed. It also generates a separate HTML webpage, so that people who are [sensitive] can actually more contribute to the conference. They're on the phone, but they can't be on Adobe Connect. That's also an additional benefit.

Then we also talked about, some people also mentioned issues on languages and that the ability to have machine translation by having a captioning screen would also benefit those people.

My question on this on the business case is from what I understand from my talks with Laura is that there's an issue of funding. Maybe Chris can speak to that or someone else can speak to that. We have to figure out how do we get funding and do we fill out a special – is there a [inaudible] budget allocation that we do and does that go into the business case? Maybe someone can comment on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Some [inaudible]. Go ahead, Chris.

CHRIS MONDINI: Chris Mondini, if I may. It's exactly as you described, Judith. I think, as Laura was saying, the technical hurdles are minimal, if any. It is precisely a budgeting funding request. Just as Cheryl was mentioning, we've gone through similar exercises to ask for expansion of our language programs, translation, interpretation and so forth. It would be in the same category.

We do have – Laura and I will come back to this group. There is a public responsibility budget, which is part of the program that I think was presented to this group in the June ICANN meeting. But there are also the IT – it's a question of where it sits in the budget and how much it costs and how we make the case for it.

So we need to answers a lot more questions probably before we get to that discussion, but you're right. That's what we mean when we say a business case, which is getting it into a budget for the FY16 for ICANN and where it best fits.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Chris, I would be happy to put you in touch with [Pat Graves] from Caption First and she can discuss with you some budgetary issues on the costing. She had given us some costs, which was the same cost that she charges the ITU. So it's a non-profit rate. I'd be happy to do that if that would be. . .

CHRIS MONDINI: You can send them my way. That's fine. Or to Laura. We'll be discussing it, so we'll need those data points at some point. Yes.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay.

CHRIS MONDINI: Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's excellent. Thanks for that, Judith. If nothing else, we'll see what may have transpired in terms of beginning to build a business case as part of our agenda that's focused on captioning.

If I can just ask us now to move to agenda item 3, which is basically an odd one. Because there was so many incomplete or not finalized action items from our last meeting, I thought it would be a good idea for us to have a little bit of time in today's call to discuss any matters arising. Obviously, the captioning one we've spent some time on already, and that's very important and we will have our dedicated meeting in January. But is there any of the other action items that need to have further discussion?

It appears to me, at the very least, the issue Silvia was raising which was the – I've just lost the word. Oh dear, I've been doing this a lot lately. I do apologize. The "review" is the word I'm going to put in, but you know what I mean. Stock take! There we are. As soon as I put a new word in, the proper one comes forward. The stock take of accessibility efforts

issues seem to be, from her point of view, something that should be an objective as such, not an action item. We probably need to discuss that and put that to bed, or at least improve it so it's more clearly understood by all of us.

But is there anything else that we need to discuss in this next few minutes? I would like to suggest that the two work teams – can I ask, Silvia, did the call go out for those work teams to be formed or not? It may have happened and I may have missed it.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Not send out. Apologies [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay, all right. So we won't discuss that, but what we might do is make sure that it does go out as a follow-on from today's meeting, recognizing that this is an extraordinarily busy time for many of the volunteers in the ICANN community as well as staff with a number of people committing even more than their normal life to what seems to be a rapidly expanding number of conference calls to do with the NTIA oversight transition issues. And now with the accountability cross-community working group there is something I think like 14 sub-stream calls running, as well as all of the major calls associated with it.

So we need to be aware that some of our volunteers may be getting pretty close to exhaustion, and if we don't get volunteers for these two work teams by January, I'm not going to [inaudible] because by mid to late January, much of this extremely pressured work that is going on

elsewhere in ICANN will be going into its next phase, and perhaps some of human bandwidth will free up. So let's put out the call, but recognize that we won't be too overly concerned if we're not swamped by volunteers, and we'll repeat it again, probably as a matter of course after our 26th of January meeting as well.

So is there anything else out of our other action items? Laura, can I ask you, would either you or Christopher then be seeing if someone from Adobe Connect might be able to join us when we do do the captioning meeting or do you think that's not merited? It was raised at their last teleconference, so we perhaps could either decide yeah or nay on it today.

"Doesn't think it's merited" says Judith. Okay. What's everyone else's opinion? "Josh come to speak to the Adobe Connect." Let me read to the record then this conversation that's going on in the chat. Judith is raising the point [inaudible] that it was suggested that perhaps someone from Adobe Connect could attend the meeting with captioning, but that's now not merited. She says it's not a technical issue. It's a financial one.

I think it's possibly a little bit more than that. There is training to do and there's a whole lot of other things. There's also, quite frequently, the people who manufacture tools think it's intuitive, not just the captioning pod, but what other accessibility features are in their equipment and perhaps there is something we are missing. But I'm happy to leave that until later, of course.

And Laura was saying do we mean to have Josh come to speak to Adobe Connect? Sorry, Josh, is who – pardon my ignorance – is he our Adobe Connect guru at ICANN?

Judith, we understand about the Captioning First pod. This is more generally about accessibility and Adobe Connect, which was inclusive of the Captioning First pod, because of some of the issues – not you, but some people have – having the Captioning First pod operate.

Laura, can you help me? Josh is our IT guru. Yeah, okay. Well, it makes it easier, because if he's our IT guru, we can access him more easily.

Greg is asking in the chat "Do we know all we need to know about accessibility aspects of Adobe Connect?" My view is no, Greg, but as I say, if it's not going to happen during the dedicated conversation about captioning, which of course is a tool but not the only tool perhaps, then we can always come back to that. But Greg, I think it is probably important that we do explore all possibilities for accessibility advantages of Adobe Connect, but of course of the other things that ICANN uses.

Judith, your hand is up. Over to you, then.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

At the joint Technology Taskforce and Accessibility Working Group, we tested both the Adobe pod and the Caption First pod. So Adobe pod, it has usually one of three vendors. Caption First is one of the vendors. So they were able to set up a test for us of the Adobe pod, and then we also, at the same time, tested the Caption First pod which mounts on

Adobe Connect. And Josh was at the meeting. It was the unanimous decision of everyone there, including Josh, that the Caption First pod is a much better pod.

So unless the other two companies who were on Adobe Connect have their own pods, I don't see a benefit of having Adobe Connect come in. We could have Adobe Connect come in to talk about different pods, but that's really something that we're looking at in the Technology Taskforce, because they're looking at other pods for different users for the different working groups.

So, on this purpose, I don't necessarily see a need for that, but I agree on the training. In this case, if we're going to decide on the Caption First pod, we could have them come in and do some training or we could have Josh come in and talk to us. I'm a little bit confused about where this is going. That's why I was asking about it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks, Judith. Let me see if I can clear up your confusion. I'm delighted that the Technology Taskforce is continuing on looking at the wider uses of the Adobe Connect, but that still needs to come across in terms of the Accessibility Taskforce understanding what, if any, accessibility tools or functions might be worthy of our attention to put into best practice. So that's one part of the story.

In terms of the joint Technology Taskforce and Accessibility Work Group meeting, which was well attended but certainly not attended by all of the Accessibility Work Group, part of point of focusing on captioning at

one of our future meetings is to make sure not just those people who did attend that test run, but all of us understand and have tested.

We, of course, had an Adobe Connect upgrade since then and I have maintained not only then, but since then, that it is not a cross-platform, and specifically mobile platform proven product. And I'd be delighted to have the Caption First pod tested to prove that it is. But Caption First is used in the ITU meetings and it is in many of those meetings that I am certainly aware of some platform problems. So there are questions to be answered at our next meeting.

That was the reason for wondering whether or not we should have someone with the particular understanding and expertise from the Adobe Connect perspective. Josh has that, if he's our guru. So let's ensure that Josh is with us when we focus on captioning yet again. And if that seems like a repetition of what the one joint meeting between the Technology Taskforce and a few of our representatives from the accessibility point of view, if it seems like a repetition, the answer is yes it is. It is a repetition. It is a deliberate repetition, because it is this taskforce that needs to understand, believe and have the answers now.

Yes, we've all seen the report. We've focused on the report, but I would suggest it's probably worthwhile. Either that or we don't bother having our caption-focused meeting, because that's really the purpose of our caption-focused meeting is to make sure we all have a clear and unambiguous understanding and trust in whatever pod they use and that they are as widely [inaudible] across platform as possible. If there are limitations, that those limitations are recognized and understood, and then based on that, we could help go on and build the business

cases which clearly is going to be the most important part for these theoretical possibilities become actualities.

Sorry to have [inaudible] on so long, but I did think that there seems to be an assumption that because there was a good test between Technology Taskforce and the pod work that once that that made [inaudible]. I don't think it does.

Judith, back to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

That was an old hand. I guess the question is if you want me to check in with [Pat Graves] at Caption First, whether we need to do another demo or not, let me know.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Happy to do so. Okay. Any further discussion on this? Laura was saying the video recording was quite good, though. Okay, good. All right then.

So if there's no other discussion on matters arising, we'll probably come back to visit one or two of these again later, but can we put to bed a better way of talking about the stock take? Laura, is this very much the business of the Advisory Committee, your advisory panel? Laura, do you think perhaps this is something that would be duplicated if we were to do the stock take within our own [inaudible]? Laura, over to you.

LAURA BENGFORD:

Thank you, Cheryl. I can certainly give an update on the stock take, what I've been working on in terms of the stock take of the website. You have the RFP and I sent that out just this morning to Anthony and Gunela who are the two folks that we discussed in the LA meeting in terms of giving us review and feedback on that.

So it is drafted and ready for review, and we're hoping to get that out. That was, again, very specifically targeted on the website, icann.org, as well as optionally looking at the other websites as well – ALAC, GNSO, ccNSO, etc. So that is my update on that. I was hoping to get that out to get moving on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

That is fantastic. That certainly made me smile. What it means is of course two things. That your advisors in your group are now getting some work to do, and perhaps if we treat that as a first example focused on the website, that stock take there is underway. I think the meaning of the action item of course, Silvia was for a similar stock take across the other administration areas in ICANN. So beyond just website, which clearly Laura and the team are doing a great job of. I'm not saying it's an overnight finished thing, but it's getting started. So that's excellent. And welcome, Remmy. It's nice to have you on the call.

Yes, we have the objectives. We still need an action item to look at stock taking beyond the website icann.org, and that's across meetings. It's across meeting planning. It's across all sorts of accessibility touch-points across ICANN.

Perhaps it's too complicated for us to deal with in the time we have here. Silvia, if you can come up with a way – Silvia, the stock take used to include the other areas of ICANN. That was specifically why it was worded across other admin areas. Let's come back to that. It's an open action item. We'll come back to that at one of our January meetings hopefully, and we'll see whether we can [inaudible] by then. We'll have what I'm hoping will be a still bubbling along nicely example of the stock take being processed on the icann.org site. And thank you very much for that update, Laura. That's great. I know you've been trying to get that done for some time.

Judith, your hand is a new one or have I missed you putting it up again. Is that a new hand? Okay, over to you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

In the stock taking, we also talked about today in the Technology Taskforce about we're looking at captioning of videos. We notice that ICANN has been doing a lot of really nice, good, short videos on the website and we're also thinking about – Glenn McKnight was doing a lot of work in testing captioning of videos. That's another thing that we could put in the stock take about that. And the Technology Taskforce is going to be revealing that in some of our next sessions. So that's something that I think should be put in the stock taking.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Absolutely, Judith. That's a perfect example beyond just webpages aspects of what a proper stock take will do. Remmy, we're actually coming into agenda item 4 at this stage, because we're talking about

the small work teams that were called for at the last meeting, and of course we've got – one of those is to be focused on what the stock take of accessibility efforts being made across ICANN. Does that help? I'm sure it does.

Judith, that of course has a nice nexus as well to existing work of Language Services because part of captioning also allows things to be multilingual. But were you referring to sign language captioning as well? Because there is a video within [video tool] that's use by a number of the governments in the Open Government Initiative, or were you looking specifically at the ticker that runs along in various scripts?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I guess what we were talking about is the actual captioning that if you turn it on in YouTube is actually really poor and most people who are hearing and visually impaired do not use it because it is always wrong and it could be very slanderous, as Glenn McKnight has done his research on that. So we're looking at a couple of different tools that are out there where you could edit the captioning that's out there and make sure that it's accurate.

But I think sign language was also good, but I don't know – that could be also in addition, but maybe we could think about that afterwards, because then if the captions on the videos would work with the software that blind people use to read, then maybe that can serve both fields instead of just the sign language only serving one of the – only for hearing impaired.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. Thanks for helping us understand that more clearly. This seems to me, Christopher, that this might be something in terms of outreach in general for major messages. I believe ICANN has, thinking back to some of the new gTLD program work before the close of the last round, I do remember it going out in multiple languages, but I'm pretty sure it also had the ticker with script going across. Is that just me in a [inaudible] state or did ICANN not do that at one point?

CHRIS MONDINI: Yeah, actually. And I actually think we've done some limited signing as well. But I think it's been ad hoc. If there is a proper stock taking, and I think these issues raised by Judith are both examples that should be covered in that. And I'm assuming that this group will look at that stock take and then make recommendations, and this would be a fine recommendation to see in that document as it's developed.

But these are all exactly the, I would say, examples of probably an even longer list of ideas that we can come up with.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Christopher. The check's in the mail on that one, because I couldn't have said it better myself. And of course we do need to recognize we won't finish stock take in one great big gulp. It will be a staged piece of work, but we do need to get it started. And that's why we will be calling later today for a couple of volunteers in particular to make sure this gets driven between meetings.

Okay. Is there any reason why we can't – Judith, is this an old hand or do you want to follow up? Must have been an old hand.

While we can't move on in the couple of minutes we have left, we often seem to neglect item 5, which is an update on any activities and outreach and recent opportunities that people might want to bring in. I know you do send updates to the list and I'd like to continue to encourage you all to send various updates on accessibility matters to our list, but if there is anything particularly notable that you want to raise at the meeting, this is the agenda item to do that in.

I think to some extent Judith has told us what terrific work the Technology Taskforce is doing in what's clearly a nexus between our interests and their at the moment, and I'm going to suggest that, Judith, perhaps you and Glenn can own giving us an update on that, beyond captioning obviously, at future meetings. We'll write that into the agenda on Technology Taskforce updates, as relevant to our work.

Is there any other updates or activity that anyone wants to bring to the table at this point? Yes, Laura, [inaudible] microphones open? We're not hearing you if you're trying to speak, Laura. Sorry. Okay. Nothing to add? All right. It's just your microphone flashed on, so I assumed that you were asking for speaking rights. That's a little glitch, perhaps. There's a gremlin in the system.

Good. All right, then. We've at least spent some time on item 5. Item 5 is usually the one that gets ditched due to time.

Getting on to our next meeting, this is going to be fairly important for two matters. We need to establish whether it's going to be somewhere

in between 19:00 and 22:00 UTC. We've already heard from our other Sylvia, not our staff Silvia, that's a particularly unfriendly 3:00 AM – or at least some of those times is a particular unfriendly 3:00 AM. Certainly we can rotate to share the pain in future. But I would point out of course that there are those of us who frequently attend 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 AM meetings. We'll still have to battle with that. It's a round world and time zones mean that some of us are frequently inconvenienced, but we, if nothing else, can share the pain perhaps at future times. And of course, it's always possible to contribute on the list and via the wiki pages. It's just not making a teleconference in any given cycle doesn't mean you're not able to contribute and that your contributions won't be valued equally, because they will be.

Gisella, did I understand from the chat that Doodles will be going out after this meeting? Is that correct?

GISSELLA GRUBER:

Yes, I will send out for both the dates right after this meeting. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay. That will be settled in the next few days. I think she'll probably run a three, four, maybe five day long Doodle. Once that Doodle is closed, we will know the time. We did establish in our last meeting that we would hold a meeting on the 5th of January and on the 26th of January, recognizing that that will be the day after for some of us. That will be the 6th and the 27th for some of us in the south.

And again, in the week of the 9th, February, we're hoping in fact to get a slot face-to-face during the ICANN meeting in Singapore.

I'm going to ask you now in the couple of minutes remaining to us if we can establish a couple of things beyond the meeting time, and that is: is it going to work better for you recognizing that some of you will have perhaps family commitments, seasonal commitments, or time of year and holiday activities that may make the earliest in January meeting difficult for you? Do you prefer to have the focus on captioning agenda set for the 5th or the 26th? Either will do, but I think we do need to do it early in the year, so we can then move on with the business case development work that we need to contribute to.

So I'm going to ask a question and I'm going to ask you to poll using your green tick or your red cross. I'm going to ask: do you wish to have the captioning focus on the 5th of January? If you don't, it will by default mean the 26th. So, if you want to hold the captioning focused meeting on the 5th of January and not later in January, put up a green tick. If you would prefer it to be later in January, put up a red cross.

The question is: do you want the captioning focus on the 5th of January? I see a red cross from Judith. Thank you. You've understood my question. Siranush, the same. Silvia, [inaudible]. I'm already seeing a strong – Greg, I think you and I will just have to go with the flow here, dear. And Remmy. Thank you for the smile. I could do with one of those today.

It looks to me like the decision with democratic processes said that we will be having just general business meeting on the 5th of January and

we'll be aiming for the captioning focus meeting on the 26th. Thank you for establishing that. I appreciate that. And that helps us sort things out nicely, and also probably gives the Technology Taskforce time to organize themselves as well, because we don't want to clash with their meetings as well.

Thank you very much. Can we make that an item that I need to follow up on then in terms of agendas?

Then, finally, in the week of the 9th of February, it certainly would be nice if we can get the time to have at least a face-to-face meeting for those of us who will be attending Singapore. Is that your wish?

If you wish to have a face-to-face meeting in Singapore, put up a green tick. If you do not, put up a red X. If you remain silent, that's fine.

Judith is a big yes. Thank you, Judith. I'm certainly happy to have a meeting. I better put a tick up myself. Silvia, yes. Greg probably trying to work out whether or not he's actually got time to breathe between now and February with all the work that's going on in other parts of ICANN.

All right. It looks to me, then, with enough green ticks coming forward that it is at least our desire to organize a face-to-face meeting, which we had foreshadowed during ICANN.

The next question will be, of course, when. How we can squeeze into the schedule. Can I ask, are you working with Leon on timings and meetings for work group?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, we are working on scheduling working groups and I know that – and I noted in the agenda – that the Accessibility would like to meet in Singapore, so we will try and make it possible.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Fantastic, okay. We do recognize that there is a huge amount of demands on the volunteer community in the Singapore meeting. So what we'll leave it as at this stage is it is our desire and we'll wait to see what little time they can squeeze us in for in that week.

If it is possible, if there are any limitations to any of your travel that Gisella may not know about – in other words, Greg, for example, you would normally not be sharing your arrival and departure time with Gisella. If you could drop her a note and let her know when you're arriving in Singapore and when you're not, and the same for anyone else who doesn't normally let Gisella run their lives like I do – in fact, that would be helpful for planning because we don't want to call a meeting to discover that your plane arrives an hour before the meeting is called. That would be great. And if that could take home from the rest of you anybody who is traveling to Singapore and would like to be involved in the face-to-face, do let Gisella know their departure and arrival times.

Judith, over to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I just said at the end of [inaudible], I was going there the whole time that ALAC allows me for, whenever that is. [inaudible] don't know that. I'm fine for anything.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, thank you. [inaudible] line? Thanks very much. Yes. Obviously, Gisella will know when your arrival and departure dates are because she'll have direct access to any of the sponsor travelers from the ALAC point of view. And Gisella, you've got access to my calendar, so you know everything I do whether or not it's got to do with [inaudible].

So that's good. Let's hope we can get our hour slot and we'll try and focus and forward our work there, which often is far more profitable – productive, I should say – on a face-to-face. But I would suggest to you that we might focus particularly on some of our stock take discussions at the face-to-face meeting in Singapore.

Obviously, Christopher and Laura, we value staff being able to join us at that meeting. But we do recognize you had extremely tight schedules to try and meet that we'll try and make sure Gisella lets you know what the time options are as soon as she possibly can. So if we can get you into the room, we can benefit from that as we did in Los Angeles.

Ladies and gentlemen, I've taken you three minutes past the top of the hour, which I must say I humbly apologize for. I'm going to quickly call for any other business.

I'm not hearing anybody, not seeing anybody wave their hand frantically at me. I'm going to look forward to talking to you all early in 2015 and

hopefully we'll see a little bit of uptake for our two work teams when the call goes out a little later today.

Silvia, if you need me to help you with the wording for the call, the specifics for the call, going out, let me know as soon as possible because I am planning on enjoying my birthday today, and I've brought my husband down to Melbourne, which I rarely take him on business meetings, but he and I are training to go to the Hellenic Museum and see the materials that are out from the [Athens] Museum, so I'm not going to be sitting by the computer all day at your beckon call.

Thank you, one and all. For those of you who celebrate the season, I wish you all the very best in the season. And if you're traveling, safe travels. Bye for now!

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Cheryl. Thank you, everyone. Bye-bye now.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you. The meeting has been adjourned and the audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today's call.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]