
NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everybody, and welcome to the At-Large Regional Secretariats' Meeting on the 18th of December 2014. On the call today we have Barrack Otieno, Siranush Vardanyan, Maureen Hilyard, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Alberto Soto, Evan Leiovitch and Judith Hellerstein. We've received apologies from Wolf Ludwig, Satish Babu, Ali Almeshal and possible apologies from Alan Greenberg. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Jana Juginovic, Director of Communication and Content and myself, Nathalie Peregrine.

I'd like to remind you all to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you and over to you, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Nathalie. Just to let you all know I'll be far from my computer. I'm in the Adobe but that will be back in five to ten minutes. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everybody, and welcome to our RALO call. As you know, the next meeting has been changed to Singapore, so this time Asia Pacific will be coordinating some stuff related to the Singapore Meeting. We have stuff to discuss among RALO Secretariat and according to our Agenda the first point is our Rules of Procedure. Almost all the RALOs either completed or are working on their Rules of Procedure.

We discussed the decertification process. If someone would like to talk about decertification... Is Alan on the call? If there is any update on the decertification process, would anyone like to comment on that?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Potentially, NARALO has already started to initiate decertification on a couple of ALSes. Essentially they're ones on which we've either received a formal notice that the group no longer wishes to participate, or the main champion has left. There is a couple in which multiple attempts have resulted in absolutely no replies. We've done the ultimate due diligence that we're capable of, and the region has actually proceeded to, by consensus, approve two ALSes to be decertified. In effect, we've already started. I don't know if this is something that's universal across the RALOs, but we've already identified that and started our own process.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think Alan started to invite volunteers for organizing... I'm not sure if this is Working Group participation? Maybe staff can help me with clarification there. Many people from different RALOs volunteered to be in that group. There have not been any official meeting of this Working Group yet, I don't think.

HEIDI ULLRICH: In response to Evan's comment, I believe that actually one ALS is going to be going ahead with decertification, because the second one based in LA, I think Garth said he'd received a reply from them and they were in the process of trying to get back into business in terms of their At-Large activities. Evan or Judith, maybe you can correct that if that's relevant at this point.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I'll connect with Garth and confirm that, but what you're saying is that there is one that's still in the process of going ahead, right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, I believe Heidi is correct. The other ALS who was going to be decertified started to have conversations with Garth. I'll check back with Garth to see what happened on that and whether they're going to meet the criteria to continue. We'll get back to you on that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I'm sorry to hear that Garth has stepped out for a while, but if you have chance to talk to him then please give him our best regards, and I hope everything is okay with him and his family. Thank you. Anyone else who'd like to comment on the decertification process?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I'm reading some comments on the chat. Barrack made a point and that's the concern or the issue that there is no standardization for all the RALOs who decertify on an ad-hoc basis, so each RALO acts independently. So the question is: "Are we at the stage where all the RALOs can set new benchmarks or are we still thinking independently? That would be the next step, I think, regarding decertification."

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Barrack. This is a very good question. I think that before now all RALOs were doing it individually. I'm aware that APRALO decertified three ALSes earlier and NARALO and LACRALO and EURALO as well, so everyone did it on their own, but I agree that probably there's a need for cross-RALO cooperation on this topic, and maybe this will be one of the issues to discuss in Singapore during the face-to-face meeting – how all RALOs can have specific criteria for decertification.

I think with Alan asking for volunteers in this group for ALS decertification process, probably this is the main topic for discussions; to develop criteria for decertification cross-RALO, which will be used by all RALOs in the same way. This would be a good approach at least for all of us to cooperate on this. Anyone with a raised hand, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I don't see any hands raised at the moment.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. If there's no one who wants to comment on this... Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Simply for when we're meeting in Singapore, since it's evident that a number of RALOs have already engaged in decertification, perhaps at least at the meeting, in the interest of doing something, as was said, of having a uniformed standard, can we perhaps look at the procedures that APRALO and NARALO have taken, and essentially try to agree on a

common benchmark from amongst the ones we already have? It's a lot easier to take what exists and look at them critically as opposed to creating something from scratch. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent Evan, yes. I meant using the experience other RALOs have had with decertification so we don't need to invent a new policy. We can use the experience of other RALOs to have the clear steps and procedures for decertification, which can be used by all RALOs from now on. If I can ask staff to put an Action Item for our Singapore Meeting, the clarification of procedures for decertification, based on the previous experience of RALOs. We'll discuss this during our face-to-face meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a comment. Silvia had a great idea of putting a table together that has a list of all of the RALOs' current approach to decertification. I'm wondering if you'd like to see something like that? It's just a one-page table where you can quickly see the various approaches being used.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think that would be a great idea, if you can send that to the list and maybe we can fill in each RALO based on their own experience. We can put in some simple bullet points on what criteria they used for decertification. That would be great and then we'll have the joint list to be discussed and come up with final procedures in Singapore.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I'll work with each of the Secretariats to consolidate all of the input and put a table so that we can all look at the decertification criteria in one table. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Silvia. That would be great and helpful to know where to start. Thank you. The second point in this first Agenda Item is metrics. I'm not sure if Maureen or someone from the Metrics Working Group is in this call?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Siranush. Just to let you know that we didn't actually have a meeting last week, so we're a little bit [behind April 00:12:03] at the moment. But we'll update everyone as soon as any new information comes to hand.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen, I was not able to hear you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm sorry Siranush. I was saying the Metrics Group didn't have a meeting last week, as was planned, so any updates that we do have in-between now and February will be put up onto the workspace.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. Thank you very much. We'll have updates there. I think this is one of the points as well to discuss across RALOs and to come up with

the joint procedure for the metrics and some requirements. Whenever there's new updates, if you can let us know, Maureen, that would be great. The next Agenda Item is we have Jana Juginovic, the person from ICANN Communications and Content Department. Jana is Director of this department. There are discussions on having new and improved At-Large promotional materials. Jana, if you can present what the new ideas are, that would be great for us to discuss on that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Siranush, Jana has discussed the ideas and we've had some chance to talk about this. I just wanted to let everyone know a little bit of background and the reasons why we're thinking it would be good to upgrade the current outreach documents and expand the way that you do your outreach. Those of you who've been around for some time might remember that these current RALO brochures were developed about five or six years ago now. At that time it was basically the RALO Chairs, myself, and the one person we had in Communications at that time.

Since then, the Communication Department has very fortunately expanded, and we've had fantastic staff come on board who have real skills in this area. That's why over the past month or so Silvia and I have been having very good talks with Jana about how we could do some updating of the brochures and expand that to something that's more of a multimedia approach. Jana is going to be talking to you a little bit about some of her research into what makes effective outreach. Then we'll talk a little bit about next steps. The floor is yours Jana.

JANA JUGINOVIC:

Thanks Heidi. Hi everyone. Thank you for inviting me to this call. I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the At-Large community and the work you guys are doing, and how we can be of service and how we can help. Heidi's correct in saying we've been chatting over the last few months about how our department can help, particularly in regards to our subject matter expertise. I'm just going to walk through a short deck I've created for you guys, so you can get a sense of why we think it's important to update and improve our engagement through improved content, multimedia content and multiplatform content.

If anyone has any questions during this short presentation, feel free to jump in. One of the things that, when I got brought on board, and what we talk about in our team, is the fact that it is difficult for people to become interested in ICANN content, because it is quite complex. It's not as easily digestible as other types of content; even something other organizations that are non-profits or that are issue-based – whether it's the World Bank or the UN, because the content ICANN talks about is technical in nature. However, this line was something that I read somewhere: that folks will be interested in our content if we make it interesting.

I think it's up to us to make what we do at ICANN more interesting for newcomers to engage and make it simpler and welcoming. How do we do that? Many times, when people would come to ICANN Comms Department or to other departments and ask them for help in regards to creating content, they already come already determined with what the content is they'd like. They'd say, "I'd like an infographic," or, "I'd like a

video.” Whereas we have to start the process differently and start with, “What is the actual objective?” We say, “Let’s start with the objective. What do we want?” Do we want awareness building?

Do we want to inform people? Do we want them to get excited or emotional about the content? What is the actual objective? Then we identify the audience, who we’re targeting and speaking to, because not all audiences are the same. Some will have no knowledge of ICANN and some will only have a little bit of knowledge about ICANN. We have to target the content towards the audience. Then you focus on what message you want to convey. One message is best, because if you try and tell multiple messages people get lost and they forget that most people take away only one message from your piece of content.

Then you choose the appropriate platform. This is an audience and content view. When you're looking at this you’re looking at all of the different avenues you have to engage with your audiences; whether it’s blog, infographics, videos, photos, microsites, webinars, presentations, and all the different channels you have to distribute them as well, either through websites or social media. Again, not all audiences will enjoy the same kind of content, and not all audiences will have the same access to channels.

So it’s important to think about those different objectives that you want. Do you want awareness building or education, informing people? Or just influencing people? What different types of content are available? And then what types of channels you can distribute it through. The great thing about having it with digital channels to distribute is that you actually have metrics to measure how your content is working. Is it

engaging people? Are they opening your [unclear 00:20:11]? One of the things I talked about with Heidi and some members of our team is how important it is to create visual content.

One of the things about the content that we have is it's very text-based, and there's the picture superiority effect. The average person would recall only 10 per cent of text-based material, 72 hours after seeing it. Whereas if they see a picture they will remember 65 per cent of that, 72 hours afterwards. So our brains are wired to process images faster and you remember more, especially if they're tied to emotions, because people do remember things that have some kind of emotional connection.

Particularly for this group, having content that's revised for regional interests and tastes is very important, because something that might work for a country in Africa may not be the same for a country in Asia. You really have to think about local audiences as well. As Heidi mentioned, we're suggesting that there's help that we can provide in creating really strong visual marriages with some of the content you're distributing; to engage people and get more people [unclear 00:@1:34]; strengthening the message through a consistent style and professional looking materials – whether publications, whether online or through video, because there are lots of different avenues we can use.

I'm going to turn it over to Heidi now, unless folks have questions that they want to ask. I'm happy to answer them.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much Jana. I'm not sure if you wanted to show that very quick little video at this point, or just open it up to questions?

JANA JUGINOVIC: I think we were thinking that perhaps because we might get inundated with YouTube ads, we can share the link with folks and they can see the type of content that's out there, that we can create now, that will be really engaging for audiences. Nathalie can share that link with folks, and they can watch it at their leisure, about some of the ideas that we're exploring with content creation and engagement.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. That's probably a good idea. I'm seeing some positive statements inside the chat, that AFRALO for example is working towards this. I'm wondering if we can get some green checkmarks from the other regions on whether this is something... To start with, a new updated type of outreach document? How useful would that be? I'm starting to see green checkmarks.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Heidi, I think that APRALO also created the electronic version of ALSes in APRALO, but we haven't seen the usage of this electronic brochure. I think that all RALOs were preparing a similar one, but I personally have never seen this. If there is any usage of this e-brochure, if you can update me on that, it would be great.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm going to pass that over to Silvia. Are you talking about the ALSes? The interviews we did for the Summit?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: No. There was an electronic brochure developed. APRALO developed it on the example of LACRALO. I've only seen the LACRALO one. Instead of publishing this we decided to compile the information about all ALSes to be available online. I'm not sure where it goes. We have sent the APRALO one to Silvia and wondered what the next step was.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Correct. It was last year that APRALO developed a file. It shows each ALS picture, logo and current work. The idea was to have this as a visual e-book or e-brochure. It was requested but it was not completed unfortunately, but now that we have people dedicated to work on this we can move forward and we can see how we can present it in an electronic way. I will take that as an Action Item; to work with Jana, show her this document, and see how we can put it in a nice package and put it online in some visual manner.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Silvia. I'd also like to thank Jana for joining this call and for starting this initiative to develop new ideas for promotional materials. I would suggest that also... I agree that digital materials are useful, but sometimes, at least in CROPP trips, we are using the outreach material for dissemination. I think that together with digital media we should have something in our hands to distribute. It would be great if we could

not have only one in the way of digital, but also have something in our hands to promote and share. Like we are having some brochures during IGF or other events we're going to. This is my two cents on that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

We're hearing that there's general agreement to going ahead with a dual-use – doing first perhaps the actual document, the RALO brochures. What we're hoping is that we can all ask all of you to go back to your regions and get feedback on what type of content you'd like. Would it be similar to what there is currently on your [trifles 00:27:08], or would it be more material? What we're thinking is it would be a larger document than it currently is, or at least it wouldn't be folded. It would be two-sided. On the first side it would have that RALO-specific information.

On the second side it would perhaps have the At-Large organizational structure diagram that lists the ALSes and the RALOs, on up to the ALAC and through to the Board. Then have the ICANN how to join, etcetera. If you're in general agreement with that, then the timeline would be we would start sending emails to you, that you could send to your RALOs. You could gather the feedback and then we'd start creating one data diagram that we'd then share with you in Singapore. Based on that we'd then update it and tell all of the RALOs and the ALAC. It would be six documents eventually – one for the ALAC and then one for each of the five RALOs.

Given bandwidth issues and resource issues we'd suggest that we start producing those in a strategic fashion. For example it would be first the

ALAC and then it would be based on where the upcoming meetings are. You could use those for your region's outreach activities, when the meeting is in your region. For example, the first RALO one would be LACRALO. We're hoping we could get that one finished by the time the Buenos Aires Meeting takes place. Then it would be EURALO for Dublin in the autumn. AFRALO for Marrakech in March, and then onwards into NARALO and APRALO again.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think that whenever it comes to APRALO it will be 2016. During this period, does that mean we would not have any materials to be used during our outreach activities?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. What we've done is we've taken stock of the current [trifles] we have on hand. We have enough for all of the RALOs, except APRALO. So we're going to go ahead and order the current [trifle] – just enough for your outreach activities in the upcoming year. So for APRALO that's taken care of, but it's the current document.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. Any other questions from others related to this? Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi there. Just as a matter for what's worked well for our ALS is actually the production of postcards or business cards that have something like a pointer or a QR-code or something, that takes people to a part of our

webpage where it does the explanation. I'm suggesting that we make the consideration, if cost is an issue, that a postcard is cheaper to produce than a [trifle] and a business card is cheaper to produce even than that. What we ended up doing was coming up with what I consider to be a compelling headline, or something like that, that you can put in large type on one side of a business card or postcard. Then on the other side a call to action, "Here's how you can get involved."

Rather than trying to provide all of the information on that one sheet of paper to try and send people to the website. The benefit of that is that as changes are made to the text or the list of people involved, or so on, that you can just make changes to the website a lot easier than to the printed document. I'm just tossing that out there as a possibility; that rather than... Heidi, if you're saying there's significant expense in doing the [trifle] brochures, perhaps the idea of doing a business card or a postcard sized thing, that you can get just as easily to people, that sends them to a specific link where we have all that information – I'm just wondering if that might be considered as an alternative. Thanks.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'm going to let Jana answer this more fully, but we've done both in the past. In terms of business cards there's not much expense of those at all. In my view it might be useful to do both a larger document that has a little bit more information, and at the same time do RALO business cards. The ones we've done before are very good prices for a good number, that will allow you to do a lot of outreach. I'm going to hand it over to Jana for that.

JANA JUGINOVIC:

Thanks Evan. I was reading your comments when you were talking about how it's not just about creating visual content and it's got to be good content, and I absolutely agree with you. On the issue of the cards, we do them now, for just the ICANN social media, so that folks will have the URLs to our social media platforms, whether it be Twitter, Facebook, WEBO, Slideshare, YouTube – the whole gannet – on one little small business card. We hand those out at ICANN Meetings. We're actually doing an updated version, which will be at ICANN 52 in Singapore. The idea for this, of a one-pager – and again it's up to you guys; these are all just suggestions – it's to create something more akin to an infographic.

It will explain, at a very, very high level, the work that you do and how to get in touch. The key is to make it something that you'd want to keep, that looks good, and would show you how to engage. One of the things that a pamphlet doesn't do most of the time is it doesn't encourage you to engage online. One of the things you want to do is have some sort of call to action, because a pamphlet's not going to get people excited necessarily, but if you give them ways to engage with you further the way to do that is through social media engagement or through the website.

That would be the idea behind this – to create something that's visually appealing, that has the information. So as Heidi mentioned, having both pieces of content would be complementary. One would be bite-sized that you could put in your pocket and hand out to people, and another one that people would have almost like a collectible, that they could use, like has been done with some of the previous ICANN infographics, that

turned into something people liked to hang up or keep. Does that answer your question, Evan?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Jana. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you for the answer. I'm fine with that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. There is a question from Heidi to all of us: would we like to have the document to be postcard sized, or the bigger ones, as well as business cards?

JANA JUGINOVIC: I just wanted to raise one point that one thing we could do, based on your feedback, is do a couple of different versions and then see what people think. You don't need to necessarily commit now until you actually see them. We can do a couple of different versions, sizes, and then see what people prefer. Would that be something...?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent suggestion Jana. I was going to ask you to send some examples because this would really be helpful for us to at least understand what you mean by say a postcard or another size. This would be great, if you send some examples to us. We will discuss and find out the best option

to be used. Thank you very much. If there are no comments related to this issue we'll move to Item #4.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Siranush, what we're hoping is that because you're going to be having a one-hour meeting in Singapore, and the final decision on how to go forward is going to need to be decided by you, as well as the ALAC Sub Committee. We're hoping we can have at least 20-30 minutes of that Secretariats call be a joint meeting of both groups, so we can get agreement from both of those groups at one time. Would that be okay?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

You mean the conference call?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No, the actual meeting in Singapore. You'll have an hour session on Wednesday, and we were wondering if we could schedule a joint session of the Outreach Sub Committee and the Secretariat?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

I think that would be good, because all the outreach Sub Committee Members will be there, and we can come up with a final decision. I hope also that Jana will be there for our Secretariat Meeting, so we can have some final decision on how to move forward prior to the Buenos Aires Meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Jana, as well as Duncan Burns will be there, so yes, they can present the examples as well as get additional feedback. Then based on that they'll move into the first brochures. It's going to be an interactive process where you'll have chances to have more feedback, etcetera.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent. Evan also will send the examples of how ISOC Canada is using the card. We'll have different ideas and perspectives. Jana will also send us examples. I think we'll come up with a final decision during the face-to-face meeting. If everyone is in agreement with that and has no objections then we'll move onto the next Agenda Item. I don't see anyone who'd like to comment on this. Agenda Item #4 is about post-ATLAS II activities. There are four recommendations that relate to RALOs to come up with decisions or find out how we should feedback on those recommendations.

I would say from an APRALO point of view that during our LA Meeting we discussed that there will be a cross-RALO survey where we're going to include the questions on identifying subject matter experts and those who'd like to facilitate [unclear 00:39:42] communication, this was Recommendation 28. The Recommendation 43 also, this is related to metrics. We also decided this will be in the survey we're going to conduct between Singapore and Buenos Aires. I think we came to the decision that Alberto Soto promised to send an example of the draft survey. If I'm wrong, Alberto, please correct me.

Based on that we will start to develop this survey, which we are going to use for all RALOs. Alberto posted he did it. We never got it, but Alberto, you have the floor. Let us know where we are with that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Humberto would like to speak.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I have been conversing with Alberto in order to develop a sample of a survey. We did it. I understand Alberto sent this, but we don't know what happened with the survey at this moment. Maybe Silvia can help us. We finished this more than one month ago.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I saw the email. I recall the email, but I don't think there was any feedback from the Secretariat. I will resend to all of you so you can provide some feedback.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I don't think this survey has been sent to the Secretariat, at least I don't remember it came to this list. If you can resend it we can comment or provide feedback.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. I'll resend it.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Alberto and Humberto for sending this. We were waiting, I think, for that draft, so we could comment and move forward. I think it was lost somewhere. We can put as an Action Item, Silvia, to resend this to the Secretariat list. If we can come up with the final survey, we're going to use this survey with Recommendation 28 and 43 in that, and the answers for that will be used for compiling the final Recommendations from the RALO level. That would be great. Related to the Recommendation 42, we have discussed that there will be an automatic system implemented for Recommendation 26, and the same automatic system will be used on the RALO level.

I'm not sure if some update on Recommendation 26 has been done. Silvia, you may have an update on that. On the RALO level we decided in LA that we'll be using the same tool, so there's no need to develop an automatic system there. The last Recommendation on the RALO level was to organize some GAs. We, within APRALO, discussed that Regional GAs can be implemented in consult with the other major regional events, like whenever we have ICANN in the region. We'd use these opportunities to have a Regional GA; like some major event in APRALO like APRICOT. This can also be done in parallel with capacity building activities.

If there is any input from other RALOs on that, it would be great. Recommendation 42 is that ICANN should enable any face-to-face RALO Assemblies, and the decision on the RALO level was to make this in consult with regional events; not to have additional or separate events on the regional level. Any input from other RALOs on that? My concern and question here is to staff: is there a need to send the answers for

Recommendations, or compile feedback from RALOs, from those four Recommendations, to staff? Olivier, can you help us on this?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Effectively I'm very pleased to see that there's a follow up on this in the RALOs. Those four Recommendations, I think the plan really is to be able to have some kind of written feedback from the RALOs on these Recommendations and see what their Recommendations are or what the expansion of those Recommendations are, so that we can then present something to the Board for approval, if it's the Board that has to act on it, or the ALAC for approval if it's the ALAC that has to act on it.

The main idea behind these two Recommendations is enabling those Recommendations to become real. The more information you can provide in return, and the more details you can give to a proposal, the more likely it is that we could package it and then have ICANN fund it, or find ways to promote this in one or the other. I think that's the important part of it. I don't know how you want to coordinate this across RALOs – I'll leave that to you – but ideally we'd like to see this. I do have one question though, which is do you think that you might have something ready for Singapore?

Because we did present a couple of Recommendations to the Board in LA, and we said, "We're going to come back to you in Singapore with a finished set of Recommendations." Do you think any of these four we have time to be able to flesh those out, expand on them, and then format them in a way that would be digestible and certainly actionable by the Board?"

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I would like to let you know that based on our discussions in LA, all RALOs at the Secretariat Meeting that we had there, we came up with a final conclusion for each of these four Recommendations. Two of them were to include the question in the survey, related to 42, the Regional GAs. We came to the conclusion that we'll have this in concert with a regional event. Decisions were made by all RALOs. I was talking about APRALO and even posted this in our APRALO Monthly Report for everyone in APRALO to know that this was a follow up based on the Secretariat discussions. I'm not sure if we decided to come up with something in addition to that. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Siranush, and thank you Olivier for your comment. I just wanted to mention two things. One was that on the ALT call this past week, or earlier this week, I was given an AI to work with the small groups of ALT and ALAC Members to move forward on selected ATLAS II Recommendations, in order to provide that short update to the Board that Olivier mentioned. I'll be doing that either before the holiday, or immediately after the holiday, to gather a small group of Members – so many of you from the ALAC – to start moving ahead and develop a report for the Board in Singapore.

The second point is on one of those Recommendations that you noted, about requesting GAs for upcoming meetings. I'm aware that EURALO is planning on submitting an AC special request for a EURALO GA at the Dublin ICANN Meeting in FY 16. If other RALOs, particularly the AFRALO

group, would like to think about that as well, for ICANN Meeting in Marrakech next year, that might be useful. The announcement on the process for the special request will be sent by our Finance Department this week, and then the Finance and Budget Sub Committee of the ALAC will be holding their first meeting to talk about the process and new criteria on Monday. Just an update there. Thank you Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Heidi. Yes, I'm also aware of EURALO submitting a special request for the Dublin Meeting. I think RALOs have already started to use this opportunity to apply for funding and request for funding for GAs in conjunction with ICANN Meetings. I agree that this year those regions who will have the next upcoming meeting and are planning on having GAs may start thinking about the submission for financial requests for that. Olivier, please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's also worth noting that some of the other ICANN communities or constituencies have filed, in the past, some requests for inter-sessional meetings. There's one that was about to happen in January of the NCSG in Washington D.C, and that might also be something that RALOs might be thinking of doing. I'm just throwing this into the mix. An inter-sessional meeting of the RALO Leadership might be something to consider as well.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Olivier. There will be a small group to report on the Board – I’m reading the AI that Silvia posted – including RALOs specific Recommendations for those four Recommendations. This is great. Any additions from other RALOs to this topic? Okay. No additions. We have about eight minutes left, and we’ll move to our last Agenda Item. Dev, the floor is yours, to provide an update on the CROPP.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone. I just wanted to give an update regarding the CROPP. This is from the presentation that was done. I just wanted to point out two things. As you know, the CROPP is five regional trips for the five RALOs, trips of up to two days or three nights, as well as certain logistics. One of the key conditions is that proposals must meet certain criteria for ICANN, and they must be found six weeks before with ICANN. In At-Large we have a CROPP Review Team and it evaluates the requests, similar to how the FBSC handles finance requests before they’re submitted to ICANN Finance.

So the CROPP Review Team approves the RALO travel requests. The [unclear 00:55:29] approval from the Regional Global Stakeholder Engagement VP, and then submits the travel request to ICANN once the proposal [unclear] the At-Large CROPP Review Team and the Regional VP. The CROPP Review Team has ten Members – two Members from each RALO, one from the Outreach Committee, and one from the ALAC Sub Committee on Finance and Budget. These are the CROPP Review Team Members. I put this list on the slide here. What I want to emphasize is two things.

First of all, the CROPP is funded [unclear 00:56:23] and [in each week] proposal eight weeks before any proposed travel takes place. That allows two weeks for the CROPP Review Team to review, and to submit it to ICANN itself, which is under a six-week deadline. One of the concerns is that the RALOs need to work with the Members from the Outreach Sub Committee, the FBSC and of course the RALO Leadership, when deciding what outreach proposals are to be sent. [unclear 00:57:13] in the group. What's happening sometimes is that a RALO Leader [unclear 00:57:24] proposal on the Wiki, they update the Wiki, and then they inform the CROPP Review Team Members from that RALO.

This delays the process and the [time zone 00:57:38] and in one case the proposal could not be submitted and was actually disapproved by ICANN, because it fell under the six-week limit. So it's very important to speak with CROPP Review Team Members when planning and organizing the travel proposals. Secondly, it's important to keep CROPP Review Team Members in the loop, not just for [unclear 00:58:02], but also to be able to [unclear] CROPP Review Team Members who are not [unclear] and who are aware of the terms and conditions of the CROPP and can advise and ensure the proposals are complete.

After the proposals come to the CROPP Review Team there are a lot of issues that have to be sorted out. That takes more time to process, when there's the need to seek clarifying answers and so forth. My [unclear 00:58:39] CROPP Program [unclear] CROPP Review Team Members in organizing and deciding what outreach proposals we have [for each RALO], so that [unclear 00:58:58] best [answers]. I've tried to cover this in as few minutes as possible. I can answer any questions.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Dev. I think we're still getting Siranush back. Nathalie, is she back yet? Are there any updates from anyone on this update of the CROPP? Judith? Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I think the CROPP is an excellent idea, and I think the problems Dev was mentioning can be solved in the new roll-out, that Ariel was talking about, of the notifications. If the Review Team Members had used the notify section that was available then, I think some of these issues we've talked about would have been resolved. It will be easier to track. My suggestion is also that since there's also a dis-link between ICANN Travel and the participants, when they're paying this year for registration fees the issue is that the person has registered but because all emails and all correspondence go to CT, the main person doesn't get any of these emails.

They don't have the correct information to find where to register and everything else like that, because the registration information is sent by email. I think that needs some kind of improvement.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Judith. I agree that there is some improvement needed in the CROPP Team on CROPP procedures. Just based on APRALO experience, and we're planning on submitting the second application, as Maureen mentioned in the chat, the challenge is having the limitation of the three days and two nights. Related to the upcoming APRICOT event in

APRALO, this is almost a ten-day event, and we're trying to find out the best two or three days where there might be an importance of our team to participate and to do outreach there. This is really very difficult. The event is that big.

At least the addition of one or two days to the CROPP might be useful, because it's really very challenging to find events with only two days' participation. We had the same challenge with the participation of our representative in a Cook Island event. Only two days they were travelling. They spent two days on their travel only, and being at the event only for two days is really very difficult for people to go to such an event and do the real outreach. If there will be any further improvement on that, I think that would be good. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Siranush. I also want to point out a personal thank you for the contributions, Siranush, for that. I think those are some things that we can give as feedback to the CROPP for the next cycle. I just want to caution though that this is still a pilot program and one of the concerns that was mentioned by the Administrator's Report for the Program was that the outcomes weren't quantifiable. It really is important that in your outreach proposals that you put measurable outcomes there, in terms of recruitment targets, how many people were contacted, contact details and so forth.

For instance, how many brochures were distributed, to make sure it's more quantifiable than just, "I went to this meeting and I met a bunch of people." You have to have stronger quantifiable outcomes. Otherwise

there's a risk that the ICANN Board will look at this and say, "What exactly is the benefit of this?" and they won't understand the program. I think the CROPP presents an opportunity and challenges, but I think it's a unique opportunity and we should use it in that aspect, for the RALOs. Okay? Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Dev. I think the CROPP Review Team is doing a really good job, and it's really hard to make all RALOs happy. I think this is a unique opportunity for each and every RALO to use the CROPP and make possible participation of RALO Leaders and RALO representatives in major regional events. I think for all RALOs this is an amazing and very useful program, and I agree that this is still a pilot program and with input from different RALOs, based on their participation, this will be improved further. Thank you Dev for your hard work as well. I think everyone in the chat also appreciates all the work you do. Any questions for Dev?

If not, I think this was our last Agenda Item. We have a couple of AIs posted to follow up on. Thank you Silvia. We will discuss the main AIs during the Singapore face-to-face during our Regional Secretariat Meeting. Just to summarize before finishing this call, this will be decertification; for each RALO to have consolidated a procedure for all RALOs. We will also discuss with the Communications Team, the opportunities for using new outreach materials. This will be digital-led media or something else. The examples will be sent to us for discussion. We will also have an ALAC Outreach Sub Committee Joint Session with the Secretariat.

Also, we'll be discussing, based on the post-ATLAS II activity Recommendations, we'll be discussing the use of the survey, which Silvia promised to resend to us. We'll be discussing how to start actual implementation of this survey; so sending out this survey to all ALSes. This will be our main point to be discussed in Singapore. With this I'd like to thank everyone for your participation. I'm looking forward to welcoming you in the Asia Pacific Region in Singapore.

Don't forget that we'll have an APRALO Showcase there. Our color is red, so you are all welcome to be in red and participate in our showcase. Thank you very much, and see you in Singapore. Thanks, and merry Christmas to all of you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]