
GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone on today's APRALO leadership preparation call on Monday, the 10th of November at 05:00 UTC.

We have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Maureen Hilyard, Holly Raiche, Alan Greenberg, Siranush Vardanyan, Pavan Budhrani, Ali AlMeshal.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Heidi Ullrich, Kelvin Wong; and myself, Gisella Gruber.

And if I could just remind everyone to please state your names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Gisella. Welcome, everyone. I'm sorry, sometimes there will be much noise from my side because I am at the working place now.

So, Singapore. This is the place which we usually call Asia-Pacific and we have to get ready for the meeting there and one of the important tasks for us is APRALO Showcase.

There were a couple of discussions through mailing list what we are going to do or what is quite possible we may have, and I have sent you the preliminary agenda earlier last week. Is there anyone who would like to comment on the agenda or we can go to this task here to find out what we want under each item? Everybody is [inaudible].

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HOLLY RAICHE: I think Maureen in her e-mail was really, really useful because it was kind of what we do in Singapore. Not that we're going to duplicate it. We're not. But some of the ideas were there.

I think on the list we've already had some really good suggestions in terms of – I've forgotten the name, but the stuff we had the...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: This is where [I ask for comments].

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah. I suggested a tea ceremony, which really is Japanese, not Chinese. If you remember, on the last day in Singapore, we had a terrific presentation about teas, which were just [brought] for us. I'm just wondering if that is also something that could be seen as distinctly Asian.

Also, looking at Ali, I was wondering if there's any possibility of something – we've not had anything Middle Eastern, even though they're part of us. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I'm going to be a heretic.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh, what a change.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I just thought I'd start off like this. I think that I'm coming down on the side of – particularly since we've had a little bit short space between our excellent and all-encompassing and wide-ranging focus on our then ALSes the last time we went to Singapore.

I'm going to suggest that we think about turning it on its head somewhat and focus far more on the opportunities for networking as opposed to specifically showcasing as such, but I've got a little rider in there.

If you think back to the great joy and success of the Fayre of Opportunities when we had all of our RALOs with all of their ALSes working in London, I'm sure you all remember how alive the room was, even though we didn't have this far more formal structure of sitting down, presenting, etc.

I'm going to suggest that whilst we don't just do networking "here's a drink, here's a sandwich" and talk to each other, I think we need to do something. I'm going to try and encourage you to go far more in that direction than in the more traditional Showcases that have been done over the last few years.

However, we have our Celebrating Diversity business cards. We have that as a very good thing to build upon, and I wondered about doing something a little bit classier, but nevertheless a little bit more like a

poster display from the various countries that our At-Large Structures come from.

So here I was thinking about putting up or projecting – I don't care; it could be both – images rather than being specific to the At-Large Structures, although the At-Large Structures could certainly feature.

I wondered, because of the time of year it is – it is a change of season, there are a plethora of traditional and modern cultural and religious events that happen at this time of year – why we don't build on the diversity theme and ask each of our ALSes to contribute images and a couple of, maybe no more than 30 or 40 words about up to three or four themes that are meaningful. Something modern, something traditional, something whatever – it doesn't really matter – and we could almost have those as a sort of collective set of cards where you've got the image on one side and what it is on the other and people can collect those cards as they wander around talking to each other, etc.

Anyway, that's my somewhat heretical approach. We still of course need budget, we still need food, we still need sponsors, we still need [inaudible] things, but I think if we don't get something specifically from the ALSes, we would find it easy enough to create part of that set of cards, for want of a better take-home message.

Anyway, that's my heretical idea.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thanks. I think it's really a good idea to have this [inaudible] display. My concern initially is that not every ALS will be present there, so not all of

them will get funding as far as I understand. And I ask staff to send an e-mail who will be there. However, I don't think that the ALSes will be funded to come there except those who get fellowship. I know a couple of people get fellowship.

Just a clarification, Cheryl. Do you think we could have different tables, like an expo, for each or maybe join the ALSes from the same region?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I would tend to go more sub-regionally. You could have the Polynesian space, the Central Asian space, the West Asian space, the East Asian space, Australian and New Zealand. There's ways of carving it up but I would rather it bundled, because then people can come with a drink, pick up something to eat [inaudible] or whatever and collect some of the little informational bits from each of the areas.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Yeah, okay. We can have this four or five so-called sub-regional tables representing each of them, and we can ask the representatives for those countries to come or to bring something to show up.

Ali, please?

ALI ALMESHAL:

Thank you, Siranush. Just commenting on Holly, actually. She was just reading my mind. I was thinking since we started the discussions about the Showcase there we go back to the Showcase [inaudible] or the approach Cheryl is suggesting.

I've seen a lot of interesting tea ceremonies, so I thought why not have the Arabic coffee ceremony? But then, actually, Arabic coffee is very unique and very tasty, [inaudible]. But then I thought, who would be doing that? Because it needs to be, let's say, prepared there. I need somebody to have the Middle East or the Gulf dress there unless somebody was going to [wear that] that one and [prepare it]. Actually that will be good, but we need some logistics arrangement for that.

On the other side, we are just thinking again on the point of the Showcase about the different way of doing it. I thought again about the disabled people. Why we don't just get some of these talented disabled people showcase something? There are a lot of talented disabled people who are other actors in different areas that we can get them [from] Singapore to be part of the Showcase. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm uncomfortable with that, Ali. Why don't we bring out the women, the children, the lesbians, the homosexuals, all the other subgroups?

ALI ALMESHAL: I think we can go different [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I have no comment on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm all for diversity. I'm just saying, if you're going to do it, do it right.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You are right.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I like the idea of a tea ceremony or Arabic coffee ceremony, but my concern is the same like Cheryl's message in the Adobe Chat about the size of audience. When there was a tea ceremony, we were only the ALAC people and some of us there, so it was not a big number of people, so it was not a big number of people. And we usually know that for our Showcases, a lot of people are coming there.

So my concern to have some ceremony there will be only that. Otherwise, I am very much fond of this tea ceremony. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Hi, everyone. Just going back a few conversations, back to what Cheryl mentioned about sub-regional [inaudible], and that, for example, was for us in the Pacific, I could very well – I mean, it depends on how many ALSes come, but it would be easy if we do it sub-regionally do coordinate other ALSes who may not be able to come might be able to send things along for our display.

But I do like the fact that even though we might have official Showcase event, sort of like an act or whatever, that it'd be really nice actually for people to enter into an environment that has these posters up, that has information up about what is special about our different cultures, so that they're actually sort of sitting within that environment and then other things come out of it.

My two cents' worth. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Maureen. We can have the main screenshot showing our ALSes and we can have four or five tables there with different sub-regions. I am aware that from this region I am the only one who is coming, so that will be really difficult and there may be some regions which will be no representative there. We should find out how we deal with that if not many people are there.

When we showed the projector, everyone can see, everyone can know each other. But if there are specific tables and no one from that region is there, that may be challenging.

Maureen, do you want to say something again? Your hand is raised a little bit. Or this is the old one.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry, I will pull it down.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Pavan, Yannis? Holly, please?

HOLLY RAICHE: I was just going to think, remember at the Fayre when we all were in red, we had one big table with lots of stuff on it.

Now, if we had a large table, then we could have things from – or maybe two. It wouldn't then fall to, say, one person from Armenia, but Armenia could be, say, three or four displays across a whole area or two.

I don't know. I'm just trying to think out loud, thinking not just Armenia, but maybe two or three tables with different areas on them, which would take the pressure of you and Armenia just to have one table all by yourself.

That's maybe why sub-regions, which is what Cheryl was talking about, having an Asian area, an East Asian area. The far corners of APRALO, three or four tables at different parts of the room so people can go to different parts and see completely different things. But these really big sub-regions, so it doesn't stand out that there's only one person or something, and that might leave the pressure on you; and for that matter, on Ali.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah, I agree, Holly, with you. But I think Armenia, I mean the whole region, [this part]. I know that no one from Azerbaijan will be there as our ALS and there's no ALS in Georgia, I think. This region, only one country will be represented there. So that is my concern, if someone there says, "Why you are not representing the whole region?" That may be a challenge

Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks. Just listening to this conversation and recognizing that often we have to work in one of the meeting rooms; quite often even the ALAC meeting room. We could, without changing the table layout, providing we establish that people can only circulate in the outside of the horseshoe unless they take up and organize the center of the horseshoe so it's safe – and we can discuss that with meetings, I'm sure – we could in fact have a far more static, but yet feel interactive, set of displays.

If we were to cover the tables with some butcher paper and do a painted red line and take it from sub-region to sub-region, you can imagine circles or squares featuring the ALSes and parts of their culture. And people can pick up the little business-cardy things I was thinking of, etc. We can even give them a red envelope so they can put their business-cardy things in, with the business-cardy things being snapshots of all sorts of cultural diversity.

So I think rather than depend on the human factor, we could in fact encourage all of our humans to network and interact. I just think there's a number of ways to skin this cat. And with some outside-the-box thinking, it can be a fun event. Obviously, we'll still have a couple of talks. But they need to be minimized. A lot more interactivity, I think, is possible. Thanks.

Have we lost Siranush?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I don't know.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Sorry, I was [inaudible]. Pavan, the floor is yours. And then next Holly.

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Hi there, everyone. I agree with Cheryl, where I think that the main objective of it is to increase and enhance interactivity, people speaking with each other. I think that would be the main goal of the Showcase.

One of the ideas, which I think we can leverage on, is the Chinese New Year would be coming very soon after the week of ICANN meeting. So where Cheryl mentioned about business cards and red envelopes, we could have them in the red packets, which are generally given out during the Chinese New Year. So I just think it's a good way to combine the events which are going on at the same time as well.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, I'd like to [barrack] for the dikir barat performance as well. By all means, have the tables and everything. But when we saw the YouTube on dikir barat, I've never seen that before, and I don't think anybody else will have seen that stuff before. And even just to start off with maybe Fadi for two minutes, Steve for one, Alan for one, and then to have something as a performance, which is ten minutes, and then straight into tables and stuff.

I just think that I was so taken by a performance, I had never seen that before. And even to have somebody explain what that is, and then,

picking up Pavan's thought, just talk about Chinese New Year as well. I don't know, but I'd like to have something other than just tables, something that is so special, nobody has seen it before, and it is something that is of the Asia-Pacific region.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think the dikir barat performance, I think I heard a couple of people mentioning that this is very involved. They can involve others also to dance. I'm really very keen to have – yes, and we can have this. We just need to find out how much it is, what is the price, and how long it will take.

Kelvin would probably [may] ask this to find out. I'll come to you. I saw your hand. Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello there. Hello everyone. I just put on the chart the former RALO, our colleague, Mary Wong. And she's a [inaudible] opera singer. So we have listened to her. She's fantastic. So [inaudible] have her perform as well. We could arrange that and see the pricing. So that's one idea.

The other idea, I think it's interesting to have different small tables, similar to what we had in the [inaudible], showing the diversity of the region. That, I think, worked out so well, because it really showed that Asia-Pacific is so large and has the islands and the Chinese and the other regions. I think that would be also a good approach. What do you think about that?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thanks, Silvia. I think we can have a long table, one table, like we had during last Showcase, but we put there some gifts to take away. But we can have this time for long table with sub-regions, so-called, stuff there. And we can have posters on the table to be connected with a red line to show how they are connected, being different regions but they are connected and bring all five or six sub-regions and people can see actually these connections. I don't know.

Cheryl, please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks very much. I'm just thinking. I think we'll have to work with whatever table configuration we have. But I'm sure we'll be able to manage that if the general concept is fine. I'm very happy with the idea of the Singaporean-based Chinese opera, especially if we can get Mary's mom around. But that's brilliant. I actually really enjoy that sort of performance.

And I am all for doing something that is a performance, providing we can afford it —we might get mate's rates with Mary's mom – that is local. I am not supportive of having a didgeridoo experience, because we're not doing it in Australia, or Dakar, the one from Malaysia. We are in Singapore. Let's do something that is physically associated with Singapore.

The advantage of doing that is we don't have the "why not someone else," that we don't have – New Zealand is getting upset because we're not doing [inaudible]. You know what I mean? If we're going to do a performance, then let's stick to a local performance. And if we go to

Malaysia, then we'll have the clapping and singing and everything else.
Thanks.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. Kelvin?

KELVIN WONG: Hi, everyone. I've done a quick check on the cost of having the dikir barat. I've heard what Cheryl has said. Just let me go through the cost, so that I have an idea. For about a ten-minute performance, it's about \$800 Singapore, which works out to be about \$650 US. That's about 20 person will be performing the dikir barat. And of course, I think I'm hearing some [directive element], and we can work with them to see if we can have them [up to] the performance, just how to sing or to dance for another five or ten minutes. But of course, that would increase the cost.

Dikir barat, by the Malay society, and then I think Singapore also has dikir barat as part of our culture as well, in a way, yeah.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So what I'm hearing, that we can have this [Barat] performance as some kind of joint tradition for Asia part. Am I right, Kelvin?

KELVIN WONG: Actually, Singapore is made up of difference races. We have Malay, Indian, Chinese like myself, and Eurasian as well. Yeah, so dikir barat, it's

representative of more than the Malay community. So people in Malaysia and Indonesia. Of course, we share the same roots in a way.

So you can say that it's part of Singapore as well. And of course, it's part of Southeast Asia.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: As long you can sell that part of it, if it is identifiably "local". So the Singaporean Chinese opera, I'm not listening to it in Beijing; I'm remembering that it was the Singaporean Chinese opera. If it is the Singapore-based Malay stuff, then that's fine. But believe me, as soon as we start paying for and showcasing performances in one country that is not local to that country, the world gets really, really complicated really, really quickly.

KELVIN WONG: Point taken.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So what I hear, you mean this dikir barat is not Singapore local one, so it may be trouble for others not to see their local performances. Am I right?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Siranush, if it is local – and it sounds like it is good enough; have him stand up there and explain why it is local, if need be – then that's fine. What I'm saying is we don't just do a performance from "pick a country

that we happen to have nearby because we haven't seen it before." But if this is a performing group and it's got strong cultural ties – and certainly, Singapore is a great big melting pot. So from that perspective, as long as you're not having a didgeridoo player, it's probably all right, or a [harka].

But you see what I mean? Performances, in my view – very biased, but very strongly held view – need to be demonstrably local.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. Kelvin, any other chances to have specific local performances? We had the excellent performances last time, but we need to have something new.

KELVIN WONG: Actually, the appropriate one, it's really the lion dance, which was used the last time. So I guess we have to think about something else. Because lion dance is also done during the Chinese New Year, so that would be the most appropriate. But other than that, I think the Chinese opera is something that we can explore, because it really ties into Chinese New Year. And of course, it's local as well.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think my personal [exception] of this dikir barat is that this is really local one. And if we can clarify with them, if we add some 10-15 minutes for teachers to teach the audience and involve audience to dance, that may be a good option. And to clarify how much will it cost,

that will be good. Kelvin, if we can ask you to clarify this task, that would be great.

KELVIN WONG: Sure, Siranush, yeah.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, thanks. And who can clarify Mrs. Wong's ultimate, like Cheryl posted here, the cost as well. Heidi, if you know, you have connections, can you clarify the cost for this opera.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, we're happy to do that. And we can check into a 10- or 15-minute show.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, so Kelvin and Heidi will clarify the performances, one for dikir barat and one for the opera stuff, and come back with the prices. Then we will find out what we want. Or maybe if we can afford, we can have both there.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Food and drink is very expensive.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Oh, yeah, yeah. Yeah, I can imagine. I agree. We are in Singapore. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE:

Yeah, just a thought that you've got down here that the budget is \$1,200. We actually spent [inaudible] more than that, because we got a bit more than that. What I did when I went to APNIC, I went to APNIC with a budget of over \$2,000. And Paul said, "Oh, that's fine," and just paid.

So I think we do need a budget. We do need to find out what's available, what the costs are, what the cost of food is going to be, and so forth. But one we've got a budget, if it's not really ridiculous, I think we can get sponsors. But we need that information first.

So, Siranush, do you need a little sub-committee or something to just work? Because I've already seen the agenda, which on the screen looks really good. It's just we need to cost all of that out and then go around hunting for money, which I think if we've got a budget and an agenda that looks like this, we should be able to get the money. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Holly, I think that Silvia can help us with the catering part. The last time, we were pretty good with drinks and food. It was enough. Silvia, if you can help us to find out what we ordered and how much was the cost of the whole stuff, with all drinks and all food there. I need to go back [through] my documents to see. But if, Silvia, you can help have it.

I am also wondering about having some bit related to Chinese New Year, maybe some red candles, which people were talking. Can

someone identify how much they cost if we ordered [150] of this for the New Year?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Sorry, Siranush, Cheryl's got a problem with candles.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: They, for example, couldn't be transported back on most airlines. So no one will be able to bring them home.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Red envelopes are fine.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Something specific to Lunar New Year then, other than candles?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Red envelopes work.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Someone local? Ariel, maybe you can help us.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Paper lanterns work. All sorts of things can work. But we just need to make sure people are allowed to bring them back.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, thank you, Siranush. Yes, I think a red envelope is a great idea for the Chinese New Year. There are many ways we can get those envelopes. I checked Amazon for China, and they sell the envelope at a very cheap price. We can certainly get a lot of them with little money.

Also, there's some little gadgets we can give out to people symbolizing the New Year. And maybe you know, next year is the Year of Goat. And there's some really cute Chinese decorations that have the image of goats, and we can purchase that with very little money too. I found some on the Chinese Amazon, and we may consider that too. I pasted the link in the chat.

Also, there is other things we can decorate. There is paper cutouts. They are very traditional Chinese paper art you usually stick on the window. But if we have a table with something to display, we can put those paper cutouts there for display too. So there is a lot of ideas for that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Sounds like a good idea, Ariel. I saw the pictures. I think we can give away those tiny things. Can you follow up if we order some number of

this, for example 200 or 250, how much will it cost for us to get the whole budget all together? That's the initial concern at the beginning.

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, of course. I will follow up on that and do some more research and provide a few options, and we can choose.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, thank you. And if you can send via e-mail to all of us, that will be great. Kelvin?

KELVIN WONG: Hi, yes. I just had some more information. Yannis said she'd help to do some research about the red packets, and 200 pieces of them would be around \$50 US.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So I think not bad if for 200 we have \$50 US. I think it doesn't look very bad. Yes, we have Silvia, thanks for [inaudible] for food. The total food, we had about \$900 US spent for food and drinks. So, Silvia, if I can ask you to update with the same food but the current prices for that, that would be great, if the staff can help us with identifying.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: With your agenda, I'm going to suggest that rather than have the [passing parade] of ALSes, because we did do "The Many Faces of APRALO" with Maureen's great presentation, and I think that was very

well done. Rather than repeat that, I think the time spent in the agenda for that should be now contributed to the beginning of the networking, where we say, “Look, follow the paper pathway around the sub-regions, pick up the cards, look at the displays, collect.” We’ll be able to put something together that makes it more interactive.

But I don’t think we need to do the [passing parade] of all the ALSes, because we’ve done that. And that, I don’t think we need to repeat every time.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It doesn’t mean we don’t have a map up. We could display the map on the PowerPoint. We can show our diversity with all those red points on the map. But I don’t think we need to do the [passing parade] of people again.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I agree, Cheryl. And this long table, which we were talking about, this can be substituted by this APRALO/ALSes Showcase on the slideshow. So we can have the map on the wall, as PowerPoint. But direct can be on the table, and we can invite people to visit the tables and interact with the people.

And, yes, I agree with Holly here that we need to have this performance after the speakers. I think have all the speeches done, and we have the performance and then invite to ALS tables, so-called.

I see no objection for this. So we may start with identifying this budget stuff, together with this identifying who from ALSes is planning to attend. Then we can go to find out how we can prepare the tables, how to prepare those posters.

Okay, I am reading Cheryl's note in chat space. So if this is the ALAC room, we can then move to foyer area for performance. That means that we can have also our tables in the foyer area. So then we'll have more space for people to visit the tables and then have the drinks at the same time.

Yes, Heidi, if you can look through Chinese New Year traditional food for the snacks, that would be great.

I am trying also simultaneously read your post in the chat space. So let's start with identifying—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, Siranush. My "been there, done that, and got the T-shirt" was for the crew. No, we don't need to do another one.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, yeah. No [food] this time. I think when I drafted this agenda, I was thinking a [quiz] this time may not work because this [inaudible] of what

had been done. It worked last time. That was good. But this time, we should have something else.

So let's move forward for now [inaudible] which is posted in action item for each and every one of us to find out whatever is being asked, find out the prices. So whenever we have the search done by Ariel, I suppose this is you who will be sending us information about that the [creative] gift or paper cutouts. And we will find out which one we will move forward with.

Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I just wanted to suggest, before we wrap this meeting up, that we have a small sub-committee. And I'm going to suggest it's Ariel, Maureen, Pavan, and myself and anyone else who wants to line up, maybe Ali. And it's that group that's focused on what happens on the tables, the sub-regional/regional tables.

That way, there's a degree of coordination just focused on that. And we can pick up the slack for ALSes that aren't coming our not representing or not responding with ideas. It's not going to be a difficult task, but needs to be a well-coordinated task. So there's a unified [theme]. So I'd suggest we all need to think about the general stuff, but I think a sub-committee needs to think about what happens in that interactive table space.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Cheryl, I think this is great idea. So I am just putting the action item. Ariel, Maureen, Cheryl, Pavan are dealing with the tables part, so with identifying what we are going to put there, how we're going to coordinate all that stuff.

Myself, Silvia, and Gisella, with Heidi and Kelvin, I think, we will go through the catering and performance part. Sounds good?

Yes, Ali, where do you want to put yourself?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think Ali's co-opted into our sub-committee, because [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: He seems happy about it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Good.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, I agree, Cheryl. So, Ali, you are in Action Item 8. So you will be responsible also with that team to identify what to [place] on the tables.

So Maureen, related [to] Action Item 1 or the team working on that, are you going to identify who is planning to attend? Or I can send the e-mail to the list to identify.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Let's just send it to the list. We'll have to do some individual follow-up. But we should just send it to the list. If you want to do that, that's fine, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what you say, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, I've got construction noise now, so no one will hear.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I was not able to hear you, what you said, the last part.

Can you hear me?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yep.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Kelvin will be in the sub-committee on entertainment and catering. Yes, please include Kelvin there, and Holly. I think we also need to work with APTLD and APNIC for the sponsorship. Also, Pavan, if you can find out please with [inaudible] if they can also be a sponsor. So we can go back to them when we have specific budget already to ask for specific amount of money. But just for us to know the potential sponsors would be great.

Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hi, just had to come on [inaudible]. Just before the saw starts again, I just want to let you know, with APNIC, I think we're fine. We just contact Paul, and Holly's already established that. That's great.

But for APTLD, I would be very doubtful that we will get anything, because right now they do not have a general manager. Don has not continued in that role. And until they have a new general manager, the Board would be incapable of making such decisions. So rather than ask and have the Board refuse us anything, I would suggest ignore them this time round, and then when they have a new general manager, we remind them about our memorandum, and we establish a new relationship with a new general manager. Okay?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah, good point, Cheryl. I knew that Don left. And I [would] suppose that the new general manager will be assigned very soon. But, yeah, as far as he's not there, we are not—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: As an APTLD member, I am not as confident as you are that there will be a general manager [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, then we will just skip APTLD for this time, for the time being, actually, while they have their new general manager there. But we have a couple – APTLD, APNIC and DotAsia. I think they are quite good and

supportive to what APRALO is doing. So, yes, APNIC, DotAsia, and ICANN support will be there.

So there was a part about how often we are going to meet. I think that our next meeting in two weeks will be our monthly call. So I guess this time we can have updates on these action items possibly for this. We can have this monthly call on 25th, to provide updates to all APRALO members. And then we can meet again with the Leadership Team for the rest of the stuff which we are doing. Agreement on that part?

I don't hear any objections on this point.

I also would like to thank Alan, who joined us for this meeting. He is in the backstage here in what APRALO is doing, for organizing the Showcase. But thanks having you, Alan, with us. Thank you.

So we are planning to meet for two weeks, Heidi. I am answering to your question. But sub-groups can decide when they can meet, so they can decide by themselves. So the first sub-committee – Ariel, Ali, Maureen, Cheryl, and Pavan – will coordinate when they want to meet.

And the second group – Siranush, Holly, Gisella, Heidi, Silvia, and Kelvin; just add Kelvin's name there – Holly is suggesting to have the meeting now, after this call ends, for this small sub-committee. Or we can continue through mailing list as well.

So is there anything we can discuss for now? Cheryl, please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, I just want to clarify. I though thought Holly was suggesting that the next full committee meeting happen before the monthly APRALO meeting, not the sub-committee meets after this call. I might be wrong, but that's how I [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. So our next monthly call is on 25th. If we can meet on 24th, is that okay, if we can have two weeks and meet on Monday?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If I may, Siranush, I actually think Holly and I were suggesting meet like 30 minutes or an hour before the actual meeting, not take any more days out of our lives; just extend our telephone commitments. So not the day before. Literally just before the main meeting.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: You mean just before our monthly call, on 25th?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. So we can meet on 4:30 UTC or 4:00 UTC before on 25th of November. Okay, if everyone is fine, then our next joint meeting of two committees will be at 4:30 UTC on 25th of November, right before our monthly call for 30 minutes. The two sub-committees will provide updates, and then we will share it with other APRALO members.

Okay. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, I was on mute. If we do this 30 minutes before the APRALO call on the 25th, just to let you know that we do start the dial-outs five to ten minutes ahead of time and we would need to edit the recording and formally end this preparation call to then start the APRALO call. Now, we don't have to hang up or leave the call or anything. Adigo will very kindly do the editing of the recording for us. But please just bear that in mind. So you won't have a full 30 minutes. You'll have people joining the call at about ten to, five to the hour.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. Thanks, Gisella, for this notification. I think that not many people, except those who will be already on the call, will ask for additional dial-out. But we'll deal with that.

GISELLA GRUBER: Perfect. Sorry. Just wanted to remind you. Thank you, Siranush.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Siranush was dropped. Would Ali like to wrap up the meeting, and I'll just type and say, "Ali is now going to wrap up the meeting," and there's no real need to call her back? Or you can try calling her back, but we'll see. Ali, over to you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We're just dialing out to Siranush now. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Ali, you've got it until she comes back.

ALI ALMESHAL: I think we are already done, just to wrap up things right now. I think Siranush is typing something here. I can see her typing something.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I am back again. Can you hear me?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes. So thanks for calling me back. I think that the second sub-committee, with myself and Holly there, will be working on entertainment and catering. And the first group will be working on displays. And also, Arial and Kelvin will be providing the stuff for take-away. Is that what we agreed?

Hello? Can you hear me? Yes, you can hear me.

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes, we hear you. I think...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, good. So that's what we have decided. [inaudible] to work through mailing list, and we'll come back to all the stuff. I thank everyone for joining this call and for your excellent participation. And once again, I'm sure that APRALO Showcase will be the best.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]