

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. This is the NARALO Monthly Teleconference on Monday, November 10<sup>th</sup> 2014 at 20:00 UTC. On the call today we have Eduardo Diaz, Evan Leibovitch, Gordon Chillcott, Glenn McKnight, Louis Houle, Allan Skuce, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Alan Greenberg, Garth Bruen and Judith Hellerstein. I have no apologies for today's conference. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano and myself, Terri Agnew. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, and back over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Terri. If the Secretary, Evan, could read the AIs, I'd appreciate it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. The AI from the previous meeting are... On the Wiki page there are no AIs coming into this.

GARTH BRUEN: Try to refresh it maybe. I don't see AIs there, but it starts at #2.1.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Why don't you go into #2.1 and I'll start digging to see what AIs are there.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, I'm sorry to be so confusing. It looks like #2.1 is the first AI. It's #2.1 - #5. It looks like it's mis-numbered, so if you could read those?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. The first one then is #2.1, which is on the First Nations Mentoring Program. Does anyone have an update on that? Because right now it's just listed as a hyphen after that with nothing after it.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. We can come back to that. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: While I have the floor I'll just go ahead. Silvia and I have been working on this, and we have a call with Christopher Mondini and Janice Douma Lange this week. That one is in progress.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. If we move onto the next one. For #6.2, for staff – [unclear 00:02:53] request of access to the [IVUP 00:03:00] for the development and testing of new ICANN web features for the visually impaired. This is for staff. [unclear 00:03:10]. Has that been done?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I am coordinating on this with Laura, so it's in progress. I'll get back to you as soon as I have some update.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Next, #2.3 – potential ALS applications pending, PeopleWHO.org and Web405. Now, just [unclear 00:03:45] knowledge of the Chair, they haven't voted or participated. They were not in London, and so the idea was to do outreach, trying to get consensus before proceeding. Has anyone got any updates? Has anyone found anything on the whereabouts of PeopleWho.org or Web405, in terms of proceeding on decertification of these ALSes, through the procedure that's already been mapped out?

GARTH BRUEN: I made an attempt to reach out to them over a long period of time, between the Mexico City meeting, the Toronto meeting, and in the London meeting, and there was no response from them. I think we have to move forward with decertification.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Heidi, what is the next step of the process for that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: What was the question?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Now that we've done due diligence, the Chair of the region has tried to reach out to these two ALSes, we haven't heard anything back from them, so what is the next step of the process for decertification?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan has his hand raised and I believe he wants to address this issue.

ALAN GREENBERG: All we have to do at this point is staff will open up Wiki pages for each of these. We have a decertification section. You need to – that is Garth or Evan – need to populate it with the statement that they haven't voted in so long, and Garth, if you can include copies of your email, your reach out and either the balances or statement from you saying there's been a lack of answers. That's sufficient for you to request that the ALAC initiates decertification.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I guess it's an AI for Garth or myself to then go and do that report, as Alan just described.

ALAN GREENBERG: Essentially to give the breadcrumb trail showing that we've attempted it, that they don't respond, or they've come back and said negatively. Then we'll go through the process.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, you just put in writing what you just said in the meeting here and I guess we take it from there.

GARTH BRUEN: I will take care of that. If staff could add that as an AI so we don't forget it, I would appreciate it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Do we need more time on that?

GARTH BRUEN: No, I think we're done with that one.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Item #2.4 – check on the request of Steve Crocker to invite Ken Harrenstien to present in LA. I don't remember this.

GARTH BRUEN: Did we ever hear back from Steve Crocker's office on this, staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, we did not. Let me just check if I [unclear 00:07:30] forward on that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: A little late.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's passed already.

---

GARTH BRUEN: I know, but I think it was in Buenos Aires was the first time we brought it up, so we just want to make sure... We just want to understand why this communication was never passed through. Next Item?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Next one is an update on the status of a memorandum of understanding between EURALO and ARIN.

GARTH BRUEN: I think Glenn may have an update on that, and we can discuss that later, unless Glenn wants to talk about it right now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. We got feedback from Susan Hamlin. They brought this to their board and they gave a reply back. So there's a draft back from ARIN for us to review, and if we like the changes we can send it back.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Glenn, where is that letter from ARIN currently?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I sent it to both of you at the time.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: But it hasn't been sent to the region yet, right?

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Right.

GARTH BRUEN: We'll review it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. is there anything else to add on this?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: they're quite excited to move forward. Other RALOs have done a great job in the relationship with their RIRs, and it's really not a lot of responsibility on either side. It's almost like one of these friendship agreements.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Next up is Item #3, which is updates on meetings and events. First one is an update on...

GARTH BRUEN: I'll take it from there. I appreciate everybody's patience with my distractions and delays. As many of you know, my father passed away last month, which kept me from attending the meeting and also from participating fully. He wasn't just my father, he was also the partner in this effort, and much of the reason why I got involved in the first place. But he made it absolutely clear that I had to keep doing this, whether he was there or not. So that is his wish. That was his deathbed wish. So that's why... It's not the only reason I'm still here, but it's certainly a

---

motivating factor. I thank everybody for taking up on the details in my absence.

I really appreciate everybody's efforts. As I think I mentioned in the email, I'm especially thankful for Glenn and Evan, and also for Anthony, for filling in where needed, and especially for Loris for putting so much of herself and her organization into the NARALO Showcase. With that, I want to let everybody also know that I may be continually distracted. Unfortunately I've had a double hit. My wife actually had surgery the day before my father passed away, and she's going to continue to be receiving treatment for the next three months. This may prevent me from attending the next ICANN Meeting, because she will be unable to function without me around.

So in terms of that, we've previously discussed appointing, as a test this year, a Vice Chair, to share responsibilities. We sought EOIs a couple of months ago, and we received an EOI from a couple of folks – one being Judith Hellerstein, who I believe is on the call. Judith and I have had a lot of great discussions about her interest in the Vice Chair. She's a very energetic participant, and I know many of you have worked with her and met her. I'm going to be looking to Judith to fill in for me at the next meeting, which I believe is in Singapore.

Between now and then we're going to have Judith run one of our monthly calls, and Judith and I can discuss the details about that offline later. Judith, are you on the call right now?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, I am on the call.

---

GARTH BRUEN: Judith, are you prepared to accept this temporary designation?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, I am prepared to accept this designation.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you so much. Much appreciated. This is part of our overall effort to try to share the leadership responsibilities and access within the region, and try and train newer ALSes in what it means to be an officer involved with the higher levels within At-Large. So we can prepare the upcoming leaders and also share responsibilities. I think this is an important thing for our region to do. It's something that other regions have already been doing for quite some time, and I'm looking forward to it and looking forward to working with Judith on this.

So in terms of our specific Agenda for this call, the next Item is a review of the LA Meeting. For that I'm going to turn to our former Secretary, Glenn, and anyone else who wants to talk about their experiences at the LA Meeting. First Glenn. Are you ready?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, thank you Garth. First of all, it was a very busy time in LA, and I had big shoes to fill. First of all, we had the Secretariat Meeting at 7:00 am. Most meetings, as you know, started at 7:00 am. We hosted the Secretariat face-to-face meeting. The second meeting we had, which Evan filled in for, was a session on DNS, followed by our RALO Meeting,

---

which we had also – we had our NARALO Meeting – and at the last part of the day we had our Showcase. I think the meetings were well attended. I think there was great discussion, a lot of stuff was achieved, and it was a very successful ICANN event.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Are there any other items anyone on the call wishes to discuss about the LA Meeting?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: One thing of note was the motion made by the ALAC, which was presented at the end of the Public Meeting, calling for a freeze on new gTLD applications regarding high issues of public trust, pending a resolution of the whole mess with PICs – although it wasn't worded exactly that way.

GARTH BRUEN: I imagine it wasn't. Thank you Evan. In terms of the meeting, I also hear there's another report here from Glenn on the NARALO Showcase.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'll tell you, it was a huge success, thanks to a lot of people making it happen – everything from logistics, to sponsorship, to performance. It was a great team to work with. We worked well together as a team, and we actually pulled it off. The thing about our Showcase is it really had a strong message. The message to the larger community was the fact that it was a real education on the role of Native Americans today, and in our

---

community, their broadband issues. So I need to acknowledge Loris Taylor and Native Public Media. They not only brought these wonderful people together, such as Jacquie Pata Johnson, and Derek, who was the hoop dancer, and Tony, who also did a presentation. But we created such a...

The group gave such a fantastic message to the wider community, and I think it really resonates what we've been saying for months, about the importance of recognizing our first nations and the scope of our Fellowship Program. One thing that we were able to do – and again I turn to thanking Olivier in particular on sponsorship. He managed to raise funds from Afillias and Verisign, and ICANN also kicked in some money. My report reports on it that we received \$1,200 from ICANN, Afillias \$2,000 and Verisign \$2,500.

Both Verisign and Afillias were given speaking spots, as sponsors, and a chance to have literature at the event itself. But Native Public Media provided \$5,000, and that's one of our ALSes. It's a substantial contribution, so that the event could be a success. The feedback from people, because it was a cultural and educational event, it really raised the bar on how to do a RALO event. It wasn't just drinking. It was an absolutely successful evening. So that's my report.

GARTH BRUEN:

You're telling me that one of our ALSes spent \$5,000 for the Showcase?

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. What they did is they paid for the keynote to come from Washington, from the Association of American Indians, for her travel and hotel, that was Jacquie. That was \$2,000. \$2,000 for the hoop dancer and \$1,000 for her staff, who were coordinating with both people. They actually kicked in \$5,000. That's virtually half of the budget, to do this event.

GARTH BRUEN: I'm trying to put all this into perspective and I'm doing the math in my head. You said Olivier also received some sponsorship for the other details of the event. Do you know how much that amounted to?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I'll go through it. ICANN kicked in \$1,200, Afillias \$2,000, Verisign \$2,500, and Native Public Media was \$5,000. So the total revenue was \$10,700.

GARTH BRUEN: That is an outstanding effort. It seems to be to be somewhat out of balance, especially considering that we're dealing with volunteer organizations. I'm a little shocked and a little embarrassed by that. I think as we go on, as we continue to think about how we fund to these different efforts at public meetings, I think we're going to have to find some way not to leverage our volunteers organizations so heavily. I think that responsibility falls upon our leadership within the region and in general. To find a way not to rely on them so heavily. This is something we're going to take a lesson on, definitely.

---

It's really amazing that Native Public Media stepped up like that and I think that it's a testament obviously to their efforts. It's a testament to our efforts as a region, to highlight this issue and highlight this community. I'm pleased with it. I feel like we need to do better by our volunteer communities. Okay, moving on. Does anybody else have any item they wish to discuss, particularly about the NARALO Showcase? No. Okay. Thank you so much to everyone who participated in that effort. That's wonderful. It's wonderful to have a meaningful Showcase and to be able to show the rest of the global community what we do in North America. It's really amazing.

Next item, the outreach table in the ICANN Village. Glenn, please go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

That I cannot say was a huge success. We were thankful to ICANN for providing us a space. It was near to the Fellowship area and next to the coffee. We really couldn't beat our spot. We were in the regular village, but people were like zombies. They went for the coffee, got their cookie and left. There was very little traffic. Evan volunteered. Myself and Eduardo stopped by. A few of us... David from the ISOC New York was there a bit.

Some of the ISOC people came, but generally speaking, not a lot of other people from NARALO volunteered, and justifiable. Because when there wasn't a break for lunch, nobody was there. So in result, I'm not sure on how much literature was taken. There definitely was, but I focused on the 45 roughly Fellows, that were next to the booth. I got them to

---

volunteer, where a lot of them got our literature. So it was worth it. But would I do it again? There's a big question mark.

GARTH BRUEN:

Obviously it's a great opportunity for us to highlight our work. Unfortunately I think that most of the people who attend our meeting, either they know At-Large or they're industry insiders and they're really there for the wrong purposes. I think in terms of At-Large we need to do more outside of the meetings, or we need to do more to get people from outside to come to the meetings when they're in particular locations. I think our CROPP efforts have been helping in this area as well.

Just having a table within the Village, I don't know how much it's going to do in the long-term in terms of recruitment. I think it's very important to have our face, the face of the region, the face of At-Large, present there at each meeting. Maybe there's something we can do to make it not only about recruitment but about delivering our message as an At-Large RALO, within ICANN. That's something we can think about. Just to bounce that off people, how useful do you think that would be? If we figure out a way to use the table to do outreach within ICANN's community, not necessarily for recruitment?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I think that's valid. I think narrow [passing 00:24:50] marketing is always important. I think the broadcasting approach was good for ALAC as a whole, or we had some ISOC literature there as well, so people did stop,

---

but to get an actual lead for a person that wanted to join NARALO? No. That didn't happen. I think your observation is correct.

GARTH BRUEN:

All right. Moving on, Evan stepped into my shoes to chair a meeting on alternate DNS structures. We had two guest speakers scheduled. One I guess dropped out at the last minute, and the other one was the Frogans. Evan, can you give us a quick synopsis of how that session went?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks Garth. Actually, I was really looking forward to the speaker that didn't show up, because that was something rather innovative. In the past we've tried to use this Forum to try and bring out innovative approaches to either using the DNS or to work around it. In the case of Frogans we had an example of a TLD that is doing some very innovative things, but with the other speakers having cancelled, it seemed in some ways almost like a 45-minute ad for the Frogans people, and it's unfortunate because the other participant that didn't show was going to talk about using third-level domains in a very clever and innovative way.

This is basically the organization that owns co.com, and it was trying to sell third-level domains the way you'd buy a second-level domain. Instead of NARALO.com, if that was taken, and I'm sure it is, then you could ask for NARALO.co.com. This has for the longest time been the status quo in a number of countries like this, but you have a registry operator that owns co.com and was attempting to use that as a way for people to get away from the rat-race of running after second-level

---

domains and that kind of thing. I thought it was an innovative approach. Frankly, on a personal level, I'd like to see more of that. Had more third-level domains been used, there'd be less need for a whole bunch of new top-level domains. I was hoping for an engagement of that. Unfortunately that didn't happen, but I'd hope to see that in the future, maybe.

The meeting went well, given the limitations of the fact that Garth wasn't able to make the presentation that he wanted to, and the other guest speaker wasn't there as well. So we learnt all we needed about Frogans. It was useful, it was educational, but obviously it could have had more. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much. I think that this is an important discussion to continue to have. What we've started off with is we've started off by discussing [four 00:28:13] [unclear] roots, and what are considered [unclear] threats, against the [unclear] DNS. Am I still breaking up?

TERRI AGNEW:

You certainly are Garth.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

You sound as if you're underwater.

---

GARTH BRUEN:

It's breaking up on mine, so I'm going to turn on my microphone. Is that any better? Okay. Good. All right, so much for plain old telephone service. We were discussing alternate DNS, alternate roots, the threats or benefits that those may provide, the perception that whether or not we do in fact have a single and unique Internet – this is something that we have to consider and take seriously, because you may not. If ICANN wants to continue to be the single repository of what is considered to be the Internet's unique root, it has to be that reality. We have to explore where these alternate DNSs are, what they do, so we can understand them better.

Also, we were looking at the concept of additional layers. This is something that Evan brings up frequently, about how the search engines are DNS or domain-agnostic, that the search engines provide a way of either ignoring or going around the domain name structure. These are all innovations. These are things that definitely have an impact on the way policy works, or should work the way we imagine it works. We have to keep discussing this in meetings, and we'll figure out a way to bring back the third-level domain discussion, especially in terms of policy. Because the consumer or Internet user may be confused about where their domain lies, in terms of policy structure, if it's a third-level domain.

They don't necessarily understand that ICANN may not have oversight over that, and they may wonder who does. They may wonder does the underlying structure of a third-level retailer, do they have an effected policy structure? This is why I invited the co.com folks to come and speak, because I wanted to understand how they address abuses, how they address conflicts, how they address trademark issues. We want to understand those issues better.

---

Moving onto the next part of the Agenda, we have the CROPP outreach travel suggestions. I see that EnTed, Glenn is approved. Evan submitted SXSU, Judith in March. Has that been submitted Judith or is it in the approval stage? Does anybody know?

ALLAN SKUCE: Number one, Glenn has been approved. Number two, that's Judith, she's been approved. Number three is Evan in March, that's being reviewed. Number four is Evan's ARIN. There's some missing information and it's also being reviewed. Number five is still open.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, I wasn't aware there was missing information. I'll check back on the form.

ALLAN SKUCE: It's missing the address of the venue.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: They don't know it yet. They haven't told me... This is ARIN. They've announced the city, they haven't announced the location. You can go to their website. They haven't announced it yet. I don't know any more than you do. I hope that doesn't get in the way of things. They just haven't told me yet.

GARTH BRUEN: You should be able to submit the application, at least if you know the city. Wouldn't that be okay? The travel details would be the same. I don't know. Allan, what do you say about that?

ALLAN SKUCE: If we get approval from the region, we'll move it forward even without that information.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Judith, go ahead. Judith just put a checkmark. She's just passing on everything. All right. We still have one slot open for CROPP. If anyone has any ideas, let's talk about them. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Garth. I was just going to mention that as well. It's very important. Let's not miss... We had a situation where we had the fifth one slotted but it went into the next FY. It was for Konstantin. Let's not waste this one. For this year it's been improved. It includes registration, so you don't have to stand outside the building giving out flyers, which is great. There's some real improvement. That's my only comment. Remember, there's an eight-week turnaround time.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Judith?

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can you hear me now? Okay. My question was if we have ARIN, we have an MOU, so my question is why use up one of our five CROPP slots and not use up the ARIN MOU on that?

GARTH BRUEN: I don't think the MOU means that they're paying for us to go to one of their meetings, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Glenn, that doesn't mean that ARIN is paying for us to go to a meeting, is that correct?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's correct. I'm not sure where you get that idea, Judith, because it's not part of the agreement. I tried to sneak that in. Sorry, no.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, I misunderstood that. My other question is Evan, I thought you were putting in for the Consumer Electronics Show?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I have.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So that's our five slots, so then you'll be taking up three slots for what you were suggesting, and then Glenn and I take up the other two. Is that correct?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm really confused right now. It's my understanding right now that of the four there is yourself for SXSW, there is Glenn for the EnTen conference, and I've put in for two. That still leaves one open.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, because he said you put in for ARIN and for...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes, for both.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: That means you're not doing the Consumer Electronics? I thought you were. I was confused. That would be three, and then that would be none left.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I have put in for two. One is the electronics show in January and the other one is for ARIN.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: right now, Glenn is going to EnTen. He's applied for EnTen.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks for clearing that up. I thought he'd said you were also going to EnTen, so I was confused.

GARTH BRUEN: I think everybody's confused. But it's okay. Evan, you've got your hand up?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes. That was just to confirm what that situation was; that there are four slots. Glenn has been approved for EnTen. Judith's been approved for SXSW. I have an application pending for the Consumer Electronic Show, and I have an application pending for ARIN. That's it. There is still one open.

GARTH BRUEN: Got it. It makes sense to me now.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Now, there is a fifth opening and it's use it or lose it. If there is nobody proposing something else, then that might be so that I'm a second person going to EnTen, but right now I'd want to encourage someone else to fill it.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, so that's an outreach to the community to make sure you think about meetings... What's your deadline Allan? Or maybe staff knows?

SILVIA VIVANCO:                   The deadline is eight weeks before the trip. That's basically it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:               When is the last date anyone can apply under this year-end? That is the concern. I just don't want to leave a slot unused.

GARTH BRUEN:                   Allan may have the answer.

ALLAN SKUCE:                   I think probably the last for that would be about the end of March. Any later than that then it might well run into a very tight slot for June, or be for the following year.

GARTH BRUEN:                   Did that answer the question Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:               I think so. The need is for the community to find something to fill the slot. If it's not filled by the timeline that Allan just said, I'm going to suggest putting in a fifth, but that would include the people that are already funded to go to other things. My preference is for somebody who's not already considered this to apply first.

---

GARTH BRUEN:                      Okay. All right, Alan Greenberg, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:                I guess I'd like to point out that it's not just an issue of using up slots. This program is still an experimental or pilot program. We need to be able to demonstrate that there's return and benefits from sending people on trips, otherwise it's going to be perceived as blue goggles, and that's not the business we're in. I'm not saying there isn't [any of 00:41:00] these, but it's not just a matter of filling slots. It's what we're doing to make sure this program continues in the future.

GARTH BRUEN:                      Thank you for making that point Alan. That's what I've been saying all along – that whatever our CROPP events are, they need to be aligned with our goals for recruitment, and we have to be thinking about what the audiences are we're speaking to; how we speak to them and how do we get them engaged in At-Large, how do we get them to bring their agenda to At-Large. That's what really the focus of what we do with CROPP needs to be. With that being said, if there are no objections, I'd like to turn the floor over to Evan to do his ALS spotlight. While Evan is doing his ALS spotlight, I will have to drop off the call to attend another meeting. If Evan and Glenn wouldn't mind finishing up the call by getting Working Group reports and delivering an ALAC report? That would be wonderful. Evan, are you prepared to give an overview of your ALS?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Yes, I can. It's not going to be very large, so between us, I think Glenn and I can handle Items #6 and on from the Agenda. I think we're capable of doing that. Some of that has already taken place. I will just give a couple of minutes up to date on what we're doing. CLUE stands for the Canadian Linux Users Exchange, and started life as a national coordinating body that essentially was working with different groups that were trying to promote the use of open-source throughout Canada – Linux BSD, open-source applications, that kind of thing.

It served a very important role, I'd say, in the late '90s and early '00s in terms of getting some coordination together, at a time when open-source was not part of the IT mainstream. It needed a lot of advocacy efforts. It needed a lot of informational efforts, even just to explain to people what open-source is. Now that open-source is part of the IT mainstream, when you talk to somebody about it there might be slightly different interpretations of what it means, and some people still have it wrong, but generally speaking, the term 'open-source' and 'free software' are reasonably well-known within the IT community. Linux, as an operating system, is certainly not an esoteric niche thing anymore.

Things like the Apache web server and Firefox browser are examples of other open-source software that have come totally into the mainstream. The focus is changing and needs are changing. I'm heading to a meeting at the end of this weekend with the rest of the board of CLUE, that's going to be looking at some very strategic shifts in terms of facilitating access to open-source skills and education, and things like that, possibly working together with organizations that are providing directions of how to find jobs in open-source, where to find people in open-source.

So the focus is changing significantly. The task is not totally gone, but the way in which it needs to be tackled is different. We no longer find ourselves having to help people deal with what open-source is. That's a very different question than it used to be. There's still a task of getting it in use in enterprises and in governments, where we're still finding some resistance. But at least when we go in people are aware of the option, and it's no longer a matter of they didn't even know it existed. That's what we're dealing with.

Joly posted a question. He asked if I'm talking about Linux. I am. I'm talking about Linux, I'm talking about Firefox, I'm talking about Apache, I'm talking about BSD, and I'm not going to get into the political battles of whether it's called Linux, or Gnu/Linux, or whatever. That's a very, to me, pointless and stupid political conversation that I've dealt with previously and can go off topic, and I'll happily deal with that offline. In the meantime, the term encompasses a whole bunch of different things. I use a video-editing software called OpenShot. There's a number of other tools that are out there.

We're trying to advocate it all as a matter of thinking. Even the concept of open-source is finding its way outside the way of software, into things like peer review on the development of academic books and things like that; finding open-source getting into publishing. You now have open-hardware, you have open-access in publishing, and so it's starting to creep into other realms. That's essentially where we've been at. Like I say, the task of advocacy is changing significantly, but the goal is still out there. That's the report at this point.

---

---

Sorry, one last thing. The organization maintains the domain and the website for Linux.ca, and as a service that we've had to members, there's about 8,000 people that use a Linux.ca email alias that was provided free of charge. We're looking at that again, because we're finding fewer people are using it, and some have left it to wither. So some of these aliases have in fact become honeypots for spammers. So we're reevaluating the alias program, but that has traditionally been two of the things that have defined the online presence.

Okay. Thanks. Any questions? Okay. We'll move on from Evan presenting on the ALS to moving on on the Agenda. Going onto Item #6 – community and Working Group activities. Louis, are you online?

LOUIS HOULE: Yes. Can you hear me?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Absolutely. Would you like to speak on the NomCom at all?

LOUIS HOULE: Yes. It will be short, but I'd like to say that a report card will be sent to you guys in the next few days. It hasn't been proved yet, but it's a report card on the last ICANN Meeting, and our first 2015 NomCom Meeting. The other point I want to maybe discuss is the issue that we had to end up the 2014 NomCom, we had to appoint Wolfgang Kleinwächter as a Member of the ICANN Board of Directors, to replace Olga Madruga-Forti. It's been an exercise that Glenn's been familiar with, in 2013.

---

We had to elect somebody with in 24-hour advice, and I just wanted to mention that I really felt uncomfortable with that, and that issue is going to be submitted to the Board, to have some improvement in case such an event happens again. That's all I have to say. It's been a very productive meeting. We met with the constituencies, with the Public Forum, and the 2014 meeting is now on its way. Thank you. Any questions?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No questions for Louie? Okay, moving on, #3 – the ATRT 2 Report. This is done by the way. Alan, I don't know if there's an update? This has pretty well morphed into something very different, hasn't it?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not sure what you mean Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I have an Agenda Item that just says, "Is there an ATRT 2 Report, and is there anything to update?"

ALAN GREENBERG: The only Report is that the Board accepted the recommendations completely in London. There is an update that was posted on implementation. It's not particularly complete in my mind, but it's going ahead. I don't think there's anything more to report at this point.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Future Challenges Working Group, as Chair of that I can speak very briefly. The Group is essentially dealing with broad issues of ICANN Accountability and has created a Sub-Group, headed by Holly Raiche, to deal with specific tasks that were given on accountability as a result of the London Summit. That is being discussed at this point. #6.5 CROPP Reports. Is there anything to say here that we haven't already talked about earlier on? Allan?

ALLAN SKUCE: I think we've covered pretty much all of it. If anyone has any questions or whatever, they can send me an email and I'll respond to them.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. #6.6 – At-Large Finance and Budget Sub-Committee. Is anyone from that SC here on this call? Allan, go ahead.

ALLAN SKUCE: I don't have any updates for that at the moment. There is a link, and if anyone wanted to take a look at what was talked about, basically we were talking about a roundup of FY 14 and the CROPP, and some of the things that are still in FY 15, and looking ahead to the future.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. The other Alan has his hand up.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. As some of you may know, our budget requests for this current FY were spectacularly unsuccessful. We only had one funded and that one ended up not being used because there was an IGF presentation that wasn't accepted by the IGF. I'm in the process of reconstituting the FBSC and there'll be discussions of that at the next ALAC Meeting and a follow on from that. Hopefully we'll be in a position in the future where we'll not end up with the kind of record we have this year. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you. Any other questions? Okay, moving on, #6.7 – Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working Group? Nothing on that. Board Member Selection Process Committee? That Committee, if I recall, was kicked in to selecting people on some of the Coordination Groups. Is that not correct? The same Committee that was used to help select candidates for the Board election. Was that not also brought into people for picking people for the IANA groups? Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, that was a very different group. The Board one is completely separate and [unclear 00:54:51] different set of processes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, so basically nothing to do with that. Okay, Accessibility Working Group, #6.9. Anybody have anything to add on that?

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I can report on that. The Accessibility Committee met. Glenn was more active than I was, but there was a series of AIs. We also looked into having a regular Chair instead of an Interim Chair, so hopefully we'll have that shortly. We did do a joint call with the Technology Taskforce on captioning, where we tested out captioning. We had ICANN staff there as well, and we very much liked the model. We kept it. That led us to give our recommendations into Recommendation (11). There's a Wiki set up about that, that more fully covers it. Glenn, do you have anything else to add?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We had a face-to-face meeting in LA. Unfortunately it was a little ambitious on what we were trying to do, with the remote people really not participating with the flipchart, because there was no dialogue during the time, and there were too many things, in terms of the smart-grid, that we were trying to achieve. So it bounced around a lot. There's a lot of work still to do. We started a slot analysis, and then we tried to state certain tasks that we'd like to see ICANN implement, and using something called "smart" or "smarter techniques". That's still a long way from being done, so we have a lot of work still to do.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. One thing I notice is we're at the top of the hour and this is actually a pretty massive Agenda. What I'd like to do at this point is #7 has to do with ALAC issues, and there's a whole bunch of very complex things that we were supposed to cover over the course of ten minutes. What I'd like to do at this point is for everything to do with #7, I know

---

I've said my piece about the New gTLD Group. Between Glenn, you're on ALAC now, Eduardo, Olivier, Alan, would any of you like to say something at all about ongoing issues that should be on the radar of NARALO? Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't have anything on the fly I'm afraid. There's going to be a lot going on in terms of organizational matters. I don't think there's anything I really want to comment on in terms of the ongoing policy issue and things like that. Most of the ones listed are essentially done deeds at this point.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Olivier, Eduardo, Glenn? Anyone with anything to add?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I don't have anything more to say from ALAC, but some of us are working on the IANA Cross-Community Working Group, working with the group that is putting together the proposal for the transition of IANA for the domain names part. There's a meeting next week to continue working on that. The deadline for that proposal will be at the end of January. The group was divided into five sub groups, doing some background, the proposal, and some evaluation type things. That's where we are. Maybe someone like Alan or Olivier want to add to this. Thank you.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Anybody?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I haven't [set up 00:59:47] the call yet. All I've done so far is vote on three ALSes. My orientation is still that it will be a while for me to give a report on ALAC.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I have Alan and then Olivier.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, thank you. There is one thing coming up that people should be aware of. There's been a variety of proposals over the last number of months on how ICANN should address its accountability issues. This is particularly with regards to the IANA transition, but in longer term as well. There were proposals for a number of different groups, that were proposed by ICANN staff. They've all been essentially replaced by what the community was asking for – that was a Cross Community Working Group on Accountability and Governance. That group will be formed soon.

There is a Charter that will be voted on by the ACs and SOs over the coming weeks. We'll be soliciting through a request for EOIs for members for this Working Group. Anyone can participate. Only five people can be formally designated as members representing ALAC and At-Large, and the call for EOIs will be going out very shortly, at a relatively short period of time to respond, so people who may be interested in that, keep an eye out. We'll explicitly be looking for people

---

with either experience in the area or other relevant characteristics. Those will be detailed in the call for EOIs, and Olivier will be running the Committee that will do the selection. That's all I have.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you Alan. That's a really good transition because Olivier's next to speak.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. Just a couple more things to add. As you know, our own IANA Issues Working Group is supporting effectively the back garden and support part of our delegates, who are Members of the IANA Coordination Group – Jean-Jacques Subrenat and Mohamed El Bashir on the one side, and of the Members of the IANA Issues Cross Community Working Group that is going to meet in Frankfurt, as Eduardo mentioned earlier. On the ICG, the IANA Coordination Group side of things, this group is just collecting the input from the different operational communities, and so at the moment it is just standing by and waiting for the input to come to them.

You might think, "They've got until the end of January to wait. Of course, they don't just wait like this. They are also involved in the discussions and listening in what's likely to arrive on their desk. As far as the naming issues CCWG is concerned, they don't have until the end of January to make their proposal. In fact the meeting in Frankfurt is going to be the real crunch at that time, because after a proposal is drafted, it needs to go through community consultation, and obviously there will be a public comment period, etcetera, going on within ICANN. So I draw

---

your attention to this forthcoming PCP, which will likely be in a month or three weeks' time, maybe later. It's not exactly set when, or at least I don't have the agenda in front of me.

Look out for it, and please comment on it. It's very important that we have enough input from our community, from end users, to push and show there's interest in this community. One of the biggest problems we're faced with at the moment is we – as in the ALAC representatives – are being told, "Hang on, this stuff doesn't affect end users, this is stuff between registries, registrars and IANA, and you guys don't really have to worry about any of that and don't need to get involved in that either."

Of course, that's something that I think certainly the people who've been involved in those discussions have completely opposed and said, "Actually, this stuff really is important for us, because ultimately, anything that's going to require some kind of oversight is going to need totally independent oversight. We're not meaning about the registrars and registries just changing their hats and saying, "Now, I'm not acting as a registry or as a registrar, I'm the person looking over our own contract." That doesn't work. So this is not going to be an easy task, and we certainly have some challenges ahead of us on this one.

Just to add also, we also have a group that coordinates with the NCSG. This hasn't really been activated very much. Admittedly we have some differences with some of the Members of the NCSG that are in there, and there are questions as to whether this specific Member is following NCSG advice or is just speaking on behalf of MM, and we'll keep the initials as they are. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thank you Olivier. By the way, guys put your hands down when you're done. That I will deem as being the completion of #7, unless anybody has any other comments on policy development for ALAC at this point. Okay, going onto ICANN functions, I know we're over time so we'll try and get through this expediently. On issues such as compliance tracking and ongoing compliance ombudsman issue, these are normally things I think Garth would be talking about, so I think we'll defer that until the next meeting. On language and translation or travel, does anybody have anything to add at this point?

Any other comments that they need to make? Did anybody have any difficulties that was trying to attend the LA Meeting but couldn't, or had problems with it? Just being within our region, I don't believe it should have been a problem. We are nine minutes past the hour. There is a number of news items that were put onto the Agenda that I'm just going to skip over. There are a couple of things that are added to the very bottom of the Agenda that I'm seeing. This has to do with the ALSes that we're trying to do due diligence on. #4.4.3 it says, "Re-engagement of Consumer WebWatch [unclear 01:07:26] Union has been attempted by the Chair." I'm not sure of the status of that.

I think these we will defer until the next meeting, and get Garth to report on them, preferably maybe even before the next call, so they can just be done as a status report. If staff could just put that as an AI, that the items at the very bottom of the Agenda there, that they're deferred and that Garth and myself will work on those between this and the next meeting. Does anyone have Any Other Business at this point? Is there

---

anything that anyone wants to talk about, ask, needs clarification on, or anything else? Okay. I want to express my... Judith, are you still on the call? Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, could you clarify... I don't remember what happened with the issue. The Interim Chair appointment, what does that entail? Are you going to be substituted for Garth, or how does that work?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I think what Garth was saying was that he couldn't do travel, and that I will be traveling to Singapore and that it will be discussed later whether he can travel on the next one, but right now he doesn't feel like he can leave home and do travel.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So the issue is mainly one of a substitution for the purpose of travel funding, right? Is it your intention to act as Chair while he's gone?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: It's just that the level of discussion needed for that is a little different.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I believe that it was his idea that I would also host one of the NARALO monthly calls under his tutelage, and that I'd also take his place in hosting meetings when we travel, for having NARALO meetings, in either Singapore or another place where he cannot travel to.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I just don't remember being that discussed a whole lot on the list, but that's okay. We've done that on the call here. All right. I just wanted a little clarification on that. Okay. If nobody has Any Other Business, we are 12 minutes late into the hour. Any Other Business? Going once, going twice. Okay, thank you all for coming. This is the end of the call. Please turn off the recording.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you Evan. Thank you everyone. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]