

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning everyone. Welcome to today's APRALO Monthly Call on Tuesday, 24<sup>th</sup> of November at 05:00 UTC. On today's call we have Bikram Shrestha, Satish Babu, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Siranush Vardanyan, Pavan Budhrani, Yasuichi Kitamura, Toshio Tachibana, Gunela Astbrink, Tomohiro Fujisaki and Llanna Galstyan. Apologies today noted from Maureen Hilyard, Holly Raiche, Ali AlMeshal, Pua Hunter, Ellen Strickland, Karaitiani Taiuru, Dr Suhaidi Hassan and Hong Xue. Our interpreters on today's call are Jessie and Eva.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, and myself, Gisella Gruber. If I can please remind everyone to state their names when speaking, not only for transcript purposes but also to allow our interpreters to identify you on the language channel. We have Chinese interpretation today. Yannis Li has joined the call as well. Thank you very much and over to you, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Gisella. If I can ask that we update the Agenda in the Adobe space with the current one, which is posted in our Wiki space. For our monthly call there was a separate Agenda. If we can change this? This Agenda was prior to the monthly call – the showcase discussion. Hello everyone. Welcome to our monthly call. Just to let you know that prior to this call we had discussion on the APRALO Showcase, which will take place in Singapore. As you know, we were put on the spot with the change of region, and now we're preparing for our AP Showcase.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

There were already staff moving forward on that issue. The Leadership Team worked online with staff to put together what will be the general Showcase itself. There were a couple of promotional items and I also thank all ALSes who put their ideas in our mailing list, because they were really very helpful for us to start with. Just to update that we don't know exactly the date and time of the Showcase for now, as this is under discussion, and as soon as we will have it we'll let all of you know.

I also will send an email asking who will be able to come to Singapore, as unfortunately ICANN will not be able to fund ALSes to come, because we got all our ALSes to London and there's no more funding at this time for APRALO ALSes to come, so it will be good if as many ALSes can be in Singapore as possible, on their own funding unfortunately, on that. We have good news from ISOC Malaysia, who helped us to find [unclear 04:22] performance team – the school troop – who agreed to come to Singapore to do a performance during our Showcase, so I'd also like to thank Suhaidi for his connection and for this support and initiative.

We are looking forward to seeing the school troop in Singapore. I also received an email from Pavan. Pavan, thank you for joining this call. .asia will be able to support us as usual, and this is great for .asia to always be a big supporter of APRALO initiatives. Any ideas on the Showcase? Any questions related to the Showcase? I don't see any hands raised here. We will send an update when we get more information. I'll keep all ALSes updated. Is there anyone on the call who knows for sure they will be coming to Singapore? ISOC Japan, I see you all are here. If you know that you'll be there, that will be great.

---

Thanks for posting this Agenda as well. Yes Yannis, thank you very much, and Yasuichi, you're not sure yet. Okay, I'll send an email to clarify and I think by the end of December everybody will be aware of their plans. I'm looking forward to seeing ISOC Australia there. Thank you. Let's move to our second Agenda Item, working on current consultations. I'm not sure, staff, if Alan or Olivier are on the call?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I don't believe they are on the call. Gisella, can you confirm please?

GISELLA GRUBER: No.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. There are links posted after this Agenda Item, so if anyone wants to learn more they can click on the link. In the meantime, the discussion is in the chat. I hope to see also ISOC Nepal also in Singapore. If you can come, that will be great. Gunela is saying that we may invite disabled people to Singapore. They are not an ALS, and I have tried to contact them several times, as at our last meeting they told us they are discussing this. Even if they're not an ALS they are potential participants. We can contact them again. I will talk to Kelvin and Kwek to see if there is a potential for them to come again. Yes, there is a discussion that engaged them also for the Showcase.

We will think about that, and if you have any suggestions on how we can involve them, especially in the Showcase, Yannis and Gunela, please email me your ideas and we'll discuss them with Kwek and Kelvin to see

---

what is possible to do during the Showcase. We've quite a tough Agenda already for the Showcase there, and so we'll discuss that. Please come up with your ideas. That would be great. Any other ideas? I don't see any hands or discussions in chat. Thank you Kelvin. Yannis and Gunela will come back to us with their ideas and we'll see how we can involve this disability group there.

Our next Agenda Item is CROPP submissions. I want to let you know that Maureen and Satish are working on the CROPP request to attend APRICOT. Satish, if you have anything to add to that, can you update where you are on that project?

SATISH BABU:

Thank you. Maureen and I are working on the application. We hope to be able to put it in at the end of this month, so another four days we'll be making the application formal.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Satish. I've also talked with Yannis and Yasuichi who have told me that they will be in APRICOT. I would like to inform you in advance that we'll need your help in Japan for APRICOT to do outreach, together with Maureen and Satish, for APRALO. Please be aware that we'll come back to you, asking for your support to help to do outreach during APRICOT. Any comments? Okay. Let's move onto our next Agenda Item – APRALO Hub and APRALO. Any updates from Kelvin? Thank you Yasuichi for your readiness to help.

---

KELVIN WONG:

Yes, we are seeing some progress in the translation of the material for the localization process. Already we're getting commitment from ISOC Bangladesh to translate them into Bangla, as well as ISOC Delhi to translate them into Hindi. These will be likely in time for ICANN in Singapore, but if not everything, it will be part of it. So hopefully we'll translate some of the materials and a target would be to have the ALSes actually doing a roadshow of the translated materials. I'll speak with them on this and hopefully we'll have something to show in Singapore.

I'm also working with [JP 12:51] and [unclear] for sharing his very wonderful slides that he presented in Internet Week in Japan just last week, where he talked a bit about APRALO and also in general about ALSes. He has agreed to share his slides with me and the team, and we're thinking of translating them and including them in English, as a reverse localization, if you may, so that we have a set of materials that we can use for the translation into other languages. If this idea is okay with everyone, we'll get some help with the translation of these Japanese slides into English so that they become a repository and an initiative of the APRALO ICANN Hub.

It's a challenge explaining this over the phone, but it's basically a translation of what ISOC JP has done in Japanese, and we are hoping to see if we can translate that into English, so that other people from other parts of the world, other ALSes, can use it and translate it into their own languages for outreach purposes.

---

**SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:** Thank you Kelvin. I think there is a team from APRALO Members and even individuals who agreed to be a part of this language localization, but if there are any volunteers to join the team, that would be a real help to this group and to the whole community in Asia Pacific, with the provision of information on different languages. If you want to volunteer to join this team, send an email to Kelvin, to myself, that you would like to volunteer. Thank you Kelvin. Any questions on that?

Staff will have more activities to come. I think in Singapore, prior to that we'll be much more involved in the organization of the Showcase. During this Christmas time for the European part of the world – I know Chinese New Year will be up to Singapore – if there are no activities before then, don't think there is nothing being done on that issue. If you have suggestions or want to volunteer for this team, just send us an email.

Moving forward, our next Agenda Item is the Showcase. We've talked on this. We'll come back to this, but before that I want to give the floor to Yannis to speak about the upcoming APRALO IGF in India. Yannis, the floor is yours. We can't hear you Yannis. Before Yannis joins us, I'll give the floor to Llanna, who'll update you on some IDN issues.

**LLANNA GALSTYAN:** Thank you Siranush. I'd like to share great news. We know that APRALO is a very diverse region with different cultures, traditions, history, as well as languages. Indeed, we are rich with IDNs as well. I'd like to let you know that in addition to the existing IDNs, one new one is added to our region, namely the Armenian IDN. ISOC Armenia, with the support of

---

the administrative, transport and communication of Armenia, has applied to ICANN for an Armenian IDN ccTLD fast-track process, several months ago. Some of you may remember and will have helped us with this process.

Now we've received an official notification from ICANN, marking the successful completion of the string evaluation process for Armenia. This is great step forward for our community and the next step is [unclear 18:35] three to six months. [unclear 18:43]...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: We've lost you Llanna.

LLANNA GALSTYAN: I was saying that the IANA delegation process will take from three to six months, and I will keep APRALO Members informed with the information, as soon as we receive official information on this process. I wanted to say also that [unclear 19:17] me, Siranush and ISOC [unclear] Chair, [unclear] are going to hold a press conference on Armenian IDNs. I will send in the chat the link about our completion, and the string evaluation process. It's pending. We are waiting for the IANA delegation.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Llanna. This is really good news. Thank you and congratulations also. This is real development for Armenia and for Armenian Internet. Related to this press conference today, all three ALSes based in Armenia will be part of this conference – particularly the

---

[unclear 20:14] from the National Media Institute, ISOC Armenia, Llanna, [unclear] and myself will be doing this press conference and will also provide updates related to this IDN string evaluation. I think this is a really interesting topic for the Armenian community here too.

We'll hear some information from this press conference through Facebook as well. Thank you very much. Yannis, are you back? Yannis, we still can't hear you. I think you have a microphone problem.

YANNIS LI:

Hello? The APriGF is confirmed to be hosted in Macau next year, which is from the 30<sup>th</sup> of June to the 3<sup>rd</sup> of July. The 30<sup>th</sup> of June will be the [unclear 21:42] event, and we have [unclear] the [cover themes] and the workshop proposals online. I've circulated this to the mailing list as well. We welcome and suggestions of the themes by December 4<sup>th</sup>. The workshop proposals will have a later deadline of the 11<sup>th</sup> of March next year. We welcome any suggestions on the themes and any topics of discussion you think are important. Our Multistakeholder Steering Committee will further discuss them and we'll announce the confirmed themes later.

This year we'll also open a travel support application, which the delegates would have a partial subsidy for, to support them to join us this year in Macau. We highly encourage all these ALSes to submit their proposals and also to try to join us in Macau this year as well. Thank you for posting the link to the initiative in the AC. Let me share with you the link for the 2015 website so that you can just submit online. There is an online submission form there. We accept any pre-event proposals and

---

also the workshop proposals. Please take a look. You can always email me if you have any questions. That's it. Thanks.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Yannis. Thank you for this information. If I may ask you to send this link and email address, which Pavan posted, to our mailing list, to all ALSes who are not on the call and who may be willing to participate. Please also post the link to the proposals, where people can go and submit their proposals. Also, we described there are some funds available for participation. I think this information will be interesting for many ALSes. Please send this to our mailing list.

YANNIS LI: Thank you. The travel funding application, we were trying to open it in January 2015, and I will circulate the announcement to the mailing list.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent. Whenever the deadline is coming up, let people know, and whenever you have details of the funding, please feel free to send the information to the mailing list. One question, Yannis, are you planning to have for ICANN 52 in Singapore the youth participation, which .aj is doing usually for Next Gen for ICANN 52? Is there plans for that?

YANNIS LI: The Next Gen ICANN Program, the initiative of course will be a permanent one, as the [unclear 26:03] has been kind enough to support this program and make it continue. I'm currently discussing with Kelvin

---

the actual deliverables of this year's program and arrangement. So probably we'll have an update about that later on. Maybe if Kelvin has anything to add further, he can.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Kelvin, do you have something to add?

KELVIN WONG: We are still discussing this, and we'll share more details in the next call.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Kelvin. Yes, please let us know about any updates. It would also be good to invite young people from forums that .asia may be organizing, like it was last year. Next Gen were really happy to come to our Showcase, so we can extend the invitation to the as well. Thank you very much. Any questions related to that? We have now the time for some brainstorming on the Showcase, or any activities that we may plan for Singapore. I'm just asking everyone on this call if there are any suggestions you'd like to share with us. Please do it now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm about to have a medical consultation, so I'm going to love you and leave you at this point in time, otherwise you're going to hear me and my chiropractor. I will take my leave. Bye for now. Just as well we don't have video running is all I can say. I'm already half naked. Bye-bye.

---

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you for Cheryl. Take care. I have seen in the chat that Gunela was talking about a deaf person featuring during the Showcase and we'd have the sign language there. Gunela, can you provide some details on that?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thanks Siranush. Just based on Yannis's suggestion of involving the Disabled Persons Association Singapore in the Showcase, bearing in mind that it is entertainment oriented, I was just thinking of a deaf person – I think his name is Alvin, and he came to the Experts Ability Task Force Meeting in Singapore in March this year, and with an interpreter and another representative. If Alvin were just able to sign up and sign to everyone assembled, welcoming people to the APRALO Showcase and to Singapore, and to explain the deaf person's sign language, that would take maybe two to three minutes.

He would need a sign language interpreter too. Again, that is the subtle awareness raising exercise for everyone there about how deaf people communicate.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. I think we will think about that. I know that last time we had problems with the sign language interpretation, so we need to think about that and find out the details. We'll discuss it with Kelvin and Kwek to find out the potential opportunities. If there are any deaf persons you know that could be good speakers for the Showcase, can you send the details to us? Don't send an email asking about his or her willingness to participate, just send the information to us and we'll find out if there is

---

time in the Showcase to have the additional speech. Then we'll contact them or ask you to. Thank you very much.

Silvia posted the link to our Singapore Showcase webpage. This is the APRALO Outreach Event workspace. There is the link there to the [unclear 32:04] performance. This is not exactly the performance of the school in Malaysia, but this is just an example of what it looks like. For me it was the first time seeing this performance, so quite impressive. There are also links to promotional materials, and Ariel did a great job on that. This is also a very draft program for now, because there's no specific date and the timing is just based on what we had last time, but the timing will change.

SILVIA VIVANCO: We have lost Siranush.

GISELLA GRUBER: We are redialing Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Am I back? Good. I would ask, the link that Silvia posted here, the program part brings me back to the Agenda, which was the Agenda for the last Showcase. If you can update the one that we've drafted for this 2015 Showcase, that would be great. At least people will know it's not the line dance or anything we did last time. There are also promotional items posted. If you can go and look at them, and give your suggestions in the Wiki, you can also comment on the Wiki directly – so which

---

promotional item you'd like more, or include any potential sponsors for any specific items, post them there and they'd be much appreciated.

We also are in the process of finalizing the whole budget for the catering for [unclear 35:35] and I think also we felt last time that people like our giveaways. Yasuichi, yes, our ALAC Chair was changed, which is why we need to update this Agenda. Yes, it was not in the Wiki, but at least we'll have this draft posted very soon by staff. Thank you for pointing this out. Any ideas, any brainstorming during this call, related to what we have discussed? Anyone who wants to say something? Kelvin?

KELVIN WONG:

Siranush, this is regarding the attendance by the ALSes to the ICANN Meeting. I'm referring to this email by Janice, who looks at the CROPP Program. She's sent this email to some of us, the VPs, the Presidents of the regions, as well as the Coordinators for CROPP. She's saying that those individuals and communities in Asia and Pacific can actually put in a proposal to the Singapore Meeting through CROPP. I was just wondering if you think it's a viable option to get some of the ALSes to come to the Singapore Meeting through that?

In her email, Janice mentioned we'd have to assess this carefully, use it to do capacity building and outreach, especially for the community members. I'm thinking if we'd like to consider having the newer ALSes apply for the CROPP and have them come to Singapore? It's just a suggestion.

---

**SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:** Thank you very much. Will is asking what is CROPP. It's the Community Outreach Pilot Program. If someone can put the exact name up? this is the Program that gives the opportunity for travel to any important regional events. ICANN is funding this. As far as I know about CROPP, you were not allowed to give the proposals for the ICANN event itself. This is a new thing I was not aware of. If you can send an email to our mailing list about this, we can clarify if people can apply through the CROPP to participate in the Singapore Meeting, because I didn't know that this was possible.

Unfortunately, Cheryl and Ali are not on the call now. They are our APRALO Members in the CROPP Team, so we may go back to them and ask them if there is any information related to that; just for clarification. If you can clarify with Janice that you can share this information with APRALO on the mailing list, that would be very important, and people can apply and come to Singapore. Because this is really important information and this is news to me.

**KELVIN WONG:** Yes, I will share the information. I think there has been a slight change in that. It was the latest information from Janice that she sent out not too long ago. Let me share that with you after checking with her.

**SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:** Excellent. We need to find out if this is possible for our ALSes to apply for funding. It would be great if you could share that with us. Anything else to be discussed? Thank you Kelvin. No hands raised. Just to mention that our next APRALO Monthly Call will be on December 23<sup>rd</sup>,

---

right before Christmas in the European part of the world. It will be during our usual time. If there is any issue on that, send an email. Also, the Showcase Sub Committee, I told you there are two Sub Committees established among the Leadership Team to work on details for the Showcase.

We will be meeting on December 9<sup>th</sup> as well. We're meeting bi-weekly to discuss the details. I'm looking forward to providing more updates during our last call. We'll put the APRALO Report also on the Wiki very soon. Does anyone want to add anything? I see Satish is typing. Yasuichi, please?

YASUICHI KITAMURA:

The ALS Japan are trying to promote the activities of APRALO, and we found out that the URL that is [atlarge-lists.icann.org](mailto:atlarge-lists.icann.org)/[mail 43:11]/listinfo, we found out that a lot of lists there, some seem to be closed. We'd like to send some lists to our ALS Japan Member which lists they should subscribe to. Are there any recommendations for which lists to subscribe to for the ALS Japan Members? That is our question.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Yasuichi. This is excellent that you are doing this outreach among your Members. I would suggest out of that list that there is the ALAC Announce list, where you can find a lot of announcements coming to all ALSes. There is also the Asia Pacific At-Large Discussion Mailing List. This is our mailing list. You can be part of that. I would suggestion also to subscribe to the At-Large Worldwide Mailing List, because this is

---

the overall general information coming in. There are also some specific mailing lists.

There's the IDN Working Group, IPv6 Working Group, gTLD Working Group – so if there are any specific interests, you can subscribe to that particular mailing list and you can send information to the staff and staff will tell you how to subscribe. Silvia posted there you can contact Ariel also for subscription support. There are a lot of mailing lists. There is no need to subscribe to all of them, but you can subscribe based on your interests.

YASUICHI KITAMURA:

Thank you. That's very helpful for me. I will tell our Members about those lists and I'll contact Silvia for information on how to do that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Yasuichi. Great thanks to ISOC Japan for your active participation and for the outreach you are doing. We are looking forward to more of that. Thank you very much. Our last Agenda Item is AOB. If someone would like to say something, this is the time for you to do so. If no one would like to say anything, I will say that this is the end of our monthly call and we'll meet again on December 23<sup>rd</sup>. I'm looking forward to any updates coming through the mailing list, and if you have any ideas, please send an email to the list. We're all in the process of discussion now.

This is all brainstorming and we need everyone involved. Please be a part of this as it's your Showcase, it's our Showcase, to show all the

---

others about Asia Pacific. Thank you very much. This meeting is adjourned.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**