

The chat history has been cleared

Maryam Bakoshi: Dear all, welcome to the NCSG Monthly Policy Call on Tuesday 14 April 2016

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes we can

Ayden Férdeline: Hi Tapani, it is working!

Tapani Tarvainen: Wo

Tapani Tarvainen: Would one of you care to say something so I know I can also hear you?

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes we can

Tapani Tarvainen: That's a nice sound effect... someone tearing paper

Tapani Tarvainen: Good morning Steph!

Sonigitu Ekp: Good morning all!

Edward Morris: Hi everybody.

Edward Morris: The internet still works. Good sign. :)

James Gannon: Morning all, cant stay for long unfortunately

Rudi Vansnick: good morning, good afternoon, good evening ...

Maryam Bakoshi: Welcome, everyone

Edward Morris: Me as well James. Preexisting doctors appointment - will have to leave after 30 minutes but will try to stay on mobile during the commute.

Ayden Férdeline: Good morning all

James Gannon: Very quiet, Im assuming its just noone speaking and not my connection

Maryam Bakoshi: No one is speaking :)

Maryam Bakoshi: *a

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: welcome

James Gannon: Ah I hear the wonderful finnish accent =)

Tapani Tarvainen: Welcome Avri!

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: 4am in Zika infected Central America :(

Edward Morris: Don't get pregnant Carlos

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Even the moskitos are sleeping now

Rudi Vansnick: @Carlos : keep your doors and windows closed ;)

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: will do my brest

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: best

Tatiana Tropina: Hello everyone! :)

Vidushi: Hello! :0

Vidushi: :)

Rudi Vansnick: recording started ?

James Gannon: I dont see the little red recording dot

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes recoridng has started

Maryam Bakoshi: mp3 and transcript

Maryam Bakoshi: We can also add the recording for Adobe Connect :)

matthew shears: agree Ed

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: please repat the deadline dates

Edward Morris: May 20 is the end of the comment period, it begins on April 20

Amr Elsadr: Hi. Apologies about being late. Was working out some technical issues to get online.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: txs

Maryam Bakoshi: Welcome Amr

Edward Morris: Welcome Amr

Motazz Beloua: Hi everyone!!!

Amr Elsadr: Thanks for the dial-out Maryam.

Tatiana Tropina: Hi Amr!

Maryam Bakoshi: You are welcome, Amr

matthew shears: A number of us are following the bylaws work and if there are key issues or concerns to raise please do so in the chat

matthew shears: so that we can already start tracking and anticipating addressing them now or in the public comment period

stephanie Perrin: NO it is something I have not done anything on, though....

Rudi Vansnick: can the screen be increased in size please ?

Tatiana Tropina: thanks for zooming :)

stephanie Perrin: Yes please , a bit more would be great

Tatiana Tropina: I am suffering on my 11" laptop, but it is already more "readable"

matthew shears: could we have scroll control etc. thanks

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes

Maryam Bakoshi: Please feel free to scroll through the document on your screens

Tatiana Tropina: Thanks Maryam!

Maryam Bakoshi: You are welcome!

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Amr: any feedback from the gAc liason?

Ines Hfaiedh: Hi all ! greetings from Tunisia.

Maryam Bakoshi: Welcome Ines

Ines Hfaiedh: Thanks a lot Maryam. This is my first time here and am happy to from from you

Maryam Bakoshi: Great to have you join the meeting

stephanie Perrin: Welcome!

matthew shears: Amr - Can the Board push back on the yellow and red - do they have any say/leverage?

stephanie Perrin: Exactly

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: @Mathew some Board members in Marrakech were very pushy on the GNSO Review

matthew shears: OK thanks

stephanie Perrin: Good idea Amr. as long as we keep it short.

Sonigitu Ekp: Yes

Amr Elsadr: @Carolos: regarding your last question on the GAC liaison..., no. :)

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: @Amr txs

James Gannon: Ok gotta run sorry

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you for attending, James

Edward Morris: Bye James.

Motazz Beloua: Being part of many newcomers, I guess we are more observing the meetings "protocol" :)

Edward Morris: @Motazz and all. Thank you VERY much for being here. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

matthew shears: I think we should be supportive of this - the more the GAC is engaged the less surprises we will have

Tatiana Tropina: +1 to Matt and Steph

Amr Elsadr: @Stephanie: Agree that the role of the liaison will increase in importance. This will hopefully result in less conflict between the GNSO and the GAC as a result of GAC Advice, but who knows if it will actually work?!?! :)

stephanie Perrin: Exactly, we dont know but anything is worth a try

Tatiana Tropina: Amr, no one knows before trying I think :)

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: @Amr I share your impression on the Quick Look mechanism.

stephanie Perrin: One of the problems in my view is that for the last year the GAC has been focused on IANA and some of the new gTLDs.....but if we work on it, it could improve.

stephanie Perrin: this is a role for a diplomat, a LOT depends on the individual in the role

Tatiana Tropina: @Stephanie, I think this year GAC will still be involved and focused a lot in WS2 of accountability...

stephanie Perrin: I agree TT

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Thnak you Amr

Amr Elsadr: I haven't gone through that yet. Sorry.

matthew shears: me neither

Amr Elsadr: We're missing some councillors.

stephanie Perrin: For the newcomers on the call, please feel free to use the private chat feature with Maryam (see below this box) to ask any questions. there is of course a help button on the right hand side of the screen.

stephanie Perrin: I meant questions about your audio quality, beeping, echoes etc.

stephanie Perrin: Yes, it is all about increasing the dialogue and no surprises

stephanie Perrin: received but not read

Amr Elsadr: @Ed: Yes it has.

Amr Elsadr: I mean it's been received in my inbox. :)

matthew shears: completely agree Ed

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Policy making is really a marginal position in the budget

Amr Elsadr: @Ed: Is "public engagement" = "public responsibility division" i.e.; fellowship, next-gen, etc...?

matthew shears: Ed - are there key issues that we should highlight? We can set up a google doc perhaps to start comments?

Amr Elsadr: @Ed: +1. Other SGs/Cs have been very active on thorough in their examination of the budget/strategic plans. We should also engage.

Amr Elsadr: @Ed: Having a little difficulty hearing you. Are you standing in rain? :)

Ayden Férdeline: @Amr - I think so. I think it is incorporating the travel budgets for the Fellowship et al

stephanie Perrin: Exactly. Ridiculous level of transparency.

Amr Elsadr: @Ayden: Thanks. Mind boggling that their budget is larger than that for gTLD policy development.

stephanie Perrin: Need to know what they are doing.

Ayden Férdeline: It might fund things like this too... www.icannpassport.org

Amr Elsadr: and ICANN learn, I believe.

stephanie Perrin: Salary and budget is good but need the workplans. Will we have support from Registries on this demand?

stephanie Perrin: (I ask because Keith is on your subteam)

Rudi Vansnick: there is a breakdown in projects of all budgets

stephanie Perrin: Deliverables? metrics?

stephanie Perrin: and importantly for those of us working on pdps, deadlines?

stephanie Perrin: Need time to go over the summary document we jave prepared, and add if necessary

Vidushi: what is the deadline for public comment on this?

matthew shears: does the budget link to the strategic plan? so that it is easy to see what is allocated to strategic prioirities?

stephanie Perrin: I had suggested to Padmini as a potential DIDP, asking for the management contracts with all the umpteen VPs we have. This would tell us what they have to deliver and by when, in order to get their bonuses.

matthew shears: and, what is missing is a work management plan - a realistic mechanism for assessing how much the community can actually do in a particular period of time

Ayden Férdeline: I have a feeling that the \$19m public engagement budget also includes language/translation support, the ICANN Speakers Bureau, and commutations/social media support

stephanie Perrin: Not really Matt, as far as I can see.....high level only. Comparable to our public accounts in Canadian fed govt

Amr Elsadr: Thank you very much Ed. Very much agree on the need to somehow formailize this process in the future.

matthew shears: agree

stephanie Perrin: Yes Matthew, and (if I may be forgiven for being suspicious) finding out what ICANN staff hard deadlines are would help us understand what lies ahead in our own work

Rudi Vansnick: some of us (GNSO) are part of the meeting that is organized by CFO and finance team to explain all detailed information (Avri, myself) are members of this group

stephanie Perrin: That meeting is always held during the face to face meetings at a ridiculous time, if I may say so.

Edward Morris: I should note that I enjoyed doing this more than anything I have done at ICANN since becoming involved here. I'm definitely up to volunteering more in this area if the opportunity is there.

Rudi Vansnick: @Stephanie : agree but there is too many overlap with all other meetings anyway

stephanie Perrin: It looks suspiciously like it is being hidden, Rudi....

Edward Morris: Agree with Carlos. Completely.

Amr Elsadr: @Ed: Really?! Hahaha!! I didn't particularly enjoy doing it last year!! :)

Rudi Vansnick: it is not hidden Stephanie

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: I want ot be in the finance mailing list

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: hope thye send checks out :)

stephanie Perrin: I would like to join the finance committee mailing list please Tapani

Edward Morris: @Amr. Shocked myself. It's fascinating.

Rudi Vansnick: we at NPOC requested CFO to come to our constituency day meeting and explain specific items

Rudi Vansnick: perhaps NCSG should do this too

stephanie Perrin: Rudi, private meetings to explain big numbers like these are no substitute for tabling workplans. I have asked questions myself, and not got what i consider satisfactory answers.

Amr Elsadr: @Matt: I lost audio for a second..., missed what caused the concern. May I ask you to repeat it?

Edward Morris: @Rudi. Finance did not want to meet with our Council subgroup instead suggesting we email them questions. We're doing so.. If you have some questions you'd like us to submit on the GNSO/Council please email them to myself or Carlos and we'll get them in.

matthew shears: Amr - it was the way in which ICANN were looking at setting up PTI that caused some concerns and made the CWG set up the oversight task force

matthew shears: Yes, the CCWG gets a Sunday meeting

Avri Doria: the IOFT work shows on how many areas, the ICANN staff can find creative works around when interpreting policy in the act of implementation.

Ayden Férdeline: @Carlos - I absolutely agree! A precedent has been set!

matthew shears: + 1 Avri

matthew shears: we have to remain very vigilant

Amr Elsadr: @Matt: Thanks. I probably need to increase my understanding of what's going on.

Avri Doria: i mean IOTF ...

Edward Morris: +2 Avri

Amr Elsadr: What's IOTF?

Avri Doria: implementation oversight task force that Matt just spoke about.

Amr Elsadr: Right. Thanks.

Amr Elsadr: @Carlos: If the CCWG-IG concerned policy development, it'd be a GNSO WG, not a CCWG. :)

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: @Amr I agree, but it does not even qualify as a CWG, according to the draft structure for CWGs which is up for discussion

Amr Elsadr: It's chartered by three SOs/ACs, isn't it? GNSO/ccNSO/ALAC?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Thank you Matthew for putting it in positive terms. It really needs to be reevaluated

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: takes a lot of calls just to set up calls, and the output is to arrange rooms for meetings during multilaterals....

matthew shears: Its role is I think think valuable - as to what structure is appropriate that's another matter

Edward Morris: Apologies - I have a pre-existing doctors appointment. I need to leave Adobe but will try to remain connected on my mobile while commuting. Thanks all.

Motazz Beloua: IG is crucial for GNSO as it involves most of non-technical aspect of internet. I agree it could do much more than organizing Workshops but it is definitely important, I think

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: @mathew agree, because id sucks vounteer blood. So I leave it to you and your half ful views to comment oday in the Council

stephanie Perrin: I agree, if only to keep an eye on ICANN remaining within its limited mission, and not showing up at another forum agreeing to take on content, for example.

matthew shears: + 1 stephanie

Amr Elsadr: @Avri: That seems like a reasonable reason to keeping the CCWG-IG around.

stephanie Perrin: agree with Avri, need discipline.

stephanie Perrin: Hard to get these groups going again, holding pattern is even more useful than killing it..

Amr Elsadr: Thanks for all of this Avri. I will try to relay your thoughts to the Council tonight.

Tatiana Tropina: Well, said Avri, thanks a lot.

Amr Elsadr: We could hear updates on ongoing PDPs, if anyone has anything to say?

Ines Hfaiedh: Thanks a million to all the participants. I have to go back to work now, very enlightening comments ! Enjoy the rest of the day

Amr Elsadr: @Stephanie: Is this on today's Council agenda? ..., and you said you're being pushed to discuss this. By whom? :)

matthew shears: + 1 stephanie - we should be looking at best practices and drawing on them

Rudi Vansnick: sorry will have to leave the call ... other duty to accomplish

Amr Elsadr: Later Rudi.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you, Rudi

Rudi Vansnick: will listen to the council meeting later today

Rudi Vansnick: thanks for the good discussions

stephanie Perrin: Jenn Standiford is pushing

Amr Elsadr: @Tapani: Lots of distortion on your line.

Amr Elsadr: And now I've been disconnected!! :(

stephanie Perrin: That is not what it says ED

Amr Elsadr: I didn't see this on the Council agenda. Did I miss it?

Tatiana Tropina: I support Steph on this. Totally.

matthew shears: but surely this should be a policy that addresses harassment across the org and meetings and more

Ayden Férdeline: who is going to picket the meeting?

stephanie Perrin: Ed, if you call it a separate conference policy, you have no way of handling harassment outside the venue.

Tatiana Tropina: +1 Stephanie

stephanie Perrin: You have a ton of material in there that violates free speech.

Amr Elsadr: @Ayden: Lets wait an see. :P

Avri Doria: re the CCWG types in wrong chat:: i am an observer. in reviewing it you can change the gsno chair. and yes rething the membership along the line of the ccwg account &c. and along the recommend framework. so rework the charter and get it headed in the right direction. Avri Doria: it needs fixing, not cancelling.

stephanie Perrin: And finally, we have already got a problem on our hands. He who wished to picket, let him picket.

Tatiana Tropina: The policy shall be as less open to subjective interpretations as possible. I hope the document will be open for comments or at least made available for NCSG PC!

Motazz Beloua: Great to assist my first meeting with all of you. Unfortunately I gotta run! :(

Motazz Beloua: Hope to meet all of ya around soon!

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you Motazz

Avri Doria: re harassment (also types in wrong chat) : Avri Doria: Are you guys checking out what the IEF has done in terms of harassmentsnet. they also have an interesting modification on ombudsman, an ombudsteam of 3 participants, 2 women 1 man long time ietf leaders.

Avri Doria: ... IETF ...

stephanie Perrin: Well I am not volunteering to draft a proper policy overnight. But I feel strongly that you are walking us into a very difficult situation with this letter.

Amr Elsadr: From what I've heard, I agree with Ed on the need for a unique policy.

Ayden Férdeline: agreed @stephanie

Amr Elsadr: @Stephanie: What letter?

Avri Doria: i don't know about the letter.

stephanie Perrin: NObody said we dont need a policy Amr. But with great respect, we dont need it by Helsinki.

matthew shears: CCWG principles consultation is an important item to look at - it will be shaping CCWG's in the future

Amr Elsadr: @Ayden: Introduce yourself for the transcribers!! :)

Avri Doria: Stephanie, i think having at least draft would be wise.

Amr Elsadr: @Stephanie: Ed didn't say we need it by Helsinki..., just that we need it to be underway. My understanding is that there is a need to show progress.

Marilia Maciel: Hello everyone. Sorry for being late. My alarm failed to wake me early this morning.

stephanie Perrin: The harrassment points are going in a letter from James Bladel to Akram Atallah, as recommendations from the GNSO

Amr Elsadr: I missed that letter. Need to check my inbox. Thanks for the heads-up Stephanie.

stephanie Perrin: It is underway Amr, two board members are working on this, no?

Avri Doria: and channel the discussion into the details of the policy as opposed to into the question of whether we need one, and avoid further poking at the open wound.

Amr Elsadr: @Stephanie: Really not sure. Haven't been paying much attention to this topic.

matthew shears: can someone circulate the letter|?

Amr Elsadr: Thanks Ayden, and thanks for the work you put into this.

stephanie Perrin: Exactly Avri.... which is where my comments were heading, but unfortunately the base document is in my view fundamentally flawed. please see my comments. Might help put things in context.

Tapani Tarvainen: 24 April

Marilia Maciel: Ok. Will count backwards from there and call the PC in

Marilia Maciel: Yes, thanks so much, Ayden

Amr Elsadr: Thanks Marilia.

Marilia Maciel: Thank you, Amr!

Amr Elsadr: Agree with Ed.

matthew shears: happy to help Ed

Tatiana Tropina: Good idea, Ed

Tatiana Tropina: also happy to join

Amr Elsadr: @Matt @tt: But will you stay happy? ;-)

Tatiana Tropina: @Amr, LOL

Tatiana Tropina: @Amr @Matt happiness is overrated anyway :P

stephanie Perrin: I just circulated the letter. I have already heard from milton, who I am sure will not object to my saying he has asked to kill these policy suggestions until it is scoped and written properly.

Amr Elsadr: @tt: Just came back from an awesome holiday by the beach, so am having trouble agreeing with your last comment!! :D

Tatiana Tropina: Steph, I am sure will be with you on this point

stephanie Perrin: Thanks TT!

Tatiana Tropina: @Amr, just came back from amazing Prague, hard to work...
SIGH

Ayden Férdeline: NCUC has a session reserved at WSIS too. More details coming soon & suggestions warmly welcomed
<https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2016/Agenda/Session/138>

stephanie Perrin: I am afraid I have to sign off and run to the airport folks, thanks for the good discussion today! (and no I am not going to a lovely beach or lovely Prague so keep quiet guys! Still snow here.....)

Marilia Maciel: Excellent, Avri. Good to know

matthew shears: I will be at WSIS - moderating the transition session

Tatiana Tropina: Matt, I will be speaking at the session, which you are going to moderate :)

matthew shears: excellent

Tatiana Tropina: yeah. :)

Amr Elsadr: Thanks all. Bye.

Ayden Férdeline: Thank you to all

Marilia Maciel: Thank you Tapani and aeveryone

Tatiana Tropina: Thanks all! Bye!

Avri Doria: bye

Vidushi: Thanks Tapani and everyone :)

Maryam Bakoshi: thank you all

matthew shears: thanks!

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you everyone and bye!

Sonigitu Ekp: Thank you all