

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. This is the ICANN Accessibility Task Force Meeting on Friday, 3<sup>rd</sup> October 2014 at 13:00 UTC. On the call today we have Glenn McKnight, Cheryl Langdon-Orr and Yasuichi Kitamura. Joining us a little later will be Olivier Crépin-Leblond. We have no apologies. From staff we have Gisella Gruber, Laura Bengford and myself, Terri Agnew. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much Terri. Small turnout today. I did think we might have Gunela as well. She may be joining us, but I did note that she was committed for an early morning activity here in Australia and online. It might have been a problematic time for her. Perhaps if she doesn't join us we'll not her apologies, because her note was part, "This is an inconvenient time," and part, "I will do my best." We'll give benefit of the doubt and pop in apologies for her, should she not join us in a minute or two.

The first thing on the Agenda is to have a look at any of our AIs from our last call, noting that was some time ago. We're all together now and we'll hopefully be having another face-to-face meeting in ten days, when we're in Los Angeles. Can I get whoever's got their AIs open to go through them and see that what's been done is done and what isn't is picked up on? Thanks. Don't all rush at once. Gisella, can you please have a look at the AIs from our last call and go through them so they're

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

captured on audio for the record, and see if they've all been attended to please?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes. Ongoing AIs from the 8<sup>th</sup> of September: GC to test Wiki translate plugins on android platforms. I might have a blank there on who GC is.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's a very good thing. Wasn't that followed up by the meeting by the Technology Taskforce? I think Glenn was on that meeting, perhaps you could speak to that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. We've been testing a lot of... The person who's our best tester on the android platform is Gordon Chillcott, and he's been testing every type of conference tool we use every time we do a Technology Taskforce all. I believe that's been done. That's what GC stands for.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Do you know if this was a success?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I believe so. I'll pop him an email and ask him.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Whilst you're reaching out, if you could pen us a little update on this then we can note that and then close off that AI, if there's success or

---

failure. I certainly think there's more work to be done with some of the android platforms. The Captcha pod for example not working on all versions of the android mobile platforms. Certainly I've got three or four pieces of equipment and only one of them will show the pod that is running as a real-time Captcha transcription. Everything is content that's able to be seen.

I know there is certainly some that do, but an awful lot that don't. An update from him would be greatly appreciated. Next, please Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

AI #2, partially completed: reminder to be sent by Dev to the Technology Taskforce Members to look at contents of the ideas for improving the organization of the At-Large content Wiki page and the comments. Upon approval by Technology Taskforce Members, notice for comments to be sent out to ALAC Members, RALOs and staff. I see that as partially completed. I think this needs a follow up with Dev to see whether it's been completed. I'm unfortunately not aware whether this has been completed.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

In that case, let's leave that as an ongoing, and if we could pen a little note to Dev, because he's not with us as yet, that would be good. Next please Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

I was just checking whether Dev was online. AI #3, ongoing again: send to RALOs list of web conferencing features. That wasn't assigned to

---

anyone. I don't recall seeing anything regarding web conferencing being sent to the RALO list, so I'm happy to follow up on this.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If you could, that would be great.

GISELLA GRUBER: AI #4: Glenn and Judith to liaise with differently-abled members of VIBUG and ISOC Disability Chapter to help with evaluating group chat, once a group chat has been selected and Adobe Connect room as a whole. Glenn, do you have an update on that AI?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I actually had my hand up to comment on the previous one as well. Let me comment on the previous. We've created a table with the Technology Taskforce comparing web conferencing tools. Included in the web conferencing evaluation we also included a checker tool, which is to evaluate whether the tool was accessible; whether it be Webex or Adobe or whatever. That table is on the Technology Taskforce every time we evaluate a new web conferencing tool. So we have to make sure everyone knows about that table. It's a great feature. Let me know if you don't have that link.

On response, VIBUG and ISOC Disability Chapter – let me start with the ISOC Disability Chapter. Two chaps – Mark, who works with CDC, and as you well now, [Ebola] is a big issue in the States, but besides [Ebola] and Mark's work with CDC – and Mr. Burke, both of those guys I wanted to have on one of our calls with the Technology Taskforce, talking about

---

the issues of disability. Neither of those guys have responded at all for the last two months. It's been a real challenge.

VIBUG was supposed to be testing. We've been dealing with Heidi on that issue. They are a NARALO Chapter. I have to follow up with Heidi on VIBUG but both of them have expressed interest in evaluating but I haven't seen them do anything yet.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So that has to be left as an open AI. Every time I try to get into the AC it's telling me the room doesn't exist. We'll come back to that AI at the meeting following our face-to-face in LA. Is there another AI Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes Cheryl. Last AI is [Soon 00:110:00] and Nathalie to test [graphics] before the next Technology Taskforce call on the 25<sup>th</sup> of August. A) I think that's outdated because we're reading the AIs from 8<sup>th</sup> September, and B) I'd need to get confirmation from Nathalie that this has been completed. Cheryl, apologies for my initial blankness when looking at these AIs. I do see at the top it says, "At-Large Technology Taskforce" which I'm not following entirely. I will make sure that what we discuss now, I'll follow up with Nathalie and we'll report back to you on this.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. A lot of what we need to do in terms of tools will be working hand in glove with the Technology Taskforce. Obviously it's a cluster of things that need to be done there. I think also it might be a case, Gisella, that some of these items may still be ongoing, but we may

---

not have captured some of the AIs from our last call. We did all have an AI on us all, which I know some of us certainly did follow up on.

That was to go through our listing, where we were looking at our key objectives in our table and marking them up on the Wiki as to whether or not we think their priority is high, moderate or could wait a little longer, and also to go through and mark up whether or not we felt various things in our tasks were going to be short, medium or long-term, and with what time frame – three to six months, six months plus, and longer. I think that’s an AI that’s done, but from a cosmetics point of view we need to pick it up from our last meeting. I think we’ve got a slight glitch in what’s been transcribed from the meeting note pod across.

I have no idea, but it’s rather interesting in that what I’m trying to do is use an android device, which means it’s running through a mobile AC module. I’m now failing to get in using a fresh link. Let’s go back to that first AI and let Mr. Chillcott know that if it all passed perfectly, since the last AC update – and I believe, staff, that there has been an AC update in the last 36 hours or so – that at least my tablet, and I doubt I’m the only person in the world – is not functioning with AC as a tool. That means I, for one, cannot actually access our primary tool, unless I go and now find a Windows machine in the room somewhere.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Just to say that AC has been, for the past ten days, as far as I’m concerned, has been causing serious problems. I have some program that I had to download through our IT Department, but I’m still regularly

---

being booted out of the AC. As soon as I touch the sound button I get booted out.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Interestingly enough Gisella, that is an issue – and it’s serendipity I suppose that we’re having this conversation now, because it’s exactly the sort of challenges that we need to make sure that, as a primary client of the system, ICANN can leverage – I’d like to think – that with the AC people. What you’ve described is what I’ve been complaining about for many, many months, if not more than a year. That has more recently not been a problem for me using the mobile app.

In fact it’s why I started to join AC rooms via tablet; because that was the only way I could get around that very annoying problem. You all used to watch how many times I’d have to join a room, and that was one of the reasons. Right now the glitch is when I go through the link – and that includes the link Gisella has just sent me via a separate platform – it’s directly from Skype, so it shouldn’t be a link transcription error. It’s going through the normal name of the room and then it’s telling me that the room does not exist. That’s a brand new glitch and one that’s extremely annoying.

I noticed a couple of problems in the second of the two policy update webinars in preparation for the upcoming meeting. A number of us could not see any of the content that was being shared until we rebooted. In fact, I think we had to reboot once or twice and then the content being shared was able to be seen. It seems to me that in the last 24 hours or so there has been some additional glitches that have

---

turned up. If there's a way of letting tech know, as a matter of urgency, that that's the case, let's do so, but something is particularly flakey.

It's going to be a little bit of a challenge coming up to the LA meeting when we all rely on Adobe rooms so much; if those glitches aren't ironed out post-haste. That's a very early AI out to staff. Gisella, if you're able to ping whomever needs to be pinged. Laura, I think Meetings and a bunch of other people need to know about it, because if this becomes a problem for a larger groups in the LA context, it's not going to be a good look at all.

Flying without any ability to see what's in the room, and working then off the Agenda, the next thing after going through our AIs was to note that whilst in our last teleconference we were working on our table – and that's out of an AI I'd been discussing before we went into the rabbit hole of AC glitches – we're not going to continue right now on this call. Time is escaping from us. We're not going to continue with that table as a group activity.

I would like however to encourage all of us – both those on the call now and those who will be listening to or following up on this call later – that between now and our LA Meeting – and perhaps we could make an AI to send a note to the list to go to the Wiki space and do what I know Judith and Gunela and a couple of others certainly did do. That was to make their own invitations and make their own proposals for everyone to see, as to what priorities are and how we'd classify that list.

We will be at our face-to-face meeting at the – I apologize – unfriendly time of 7:00 am in the morning – for some of us. Gisella and I will be all



---

right, because we're always up to our third or fourth call by 7:00 am, under normal circumstances, but I do recognize it's an unfriendly time for some us. It's the only time we could manage to get on the schedule for our meeting in LA. We will be work-shopping that table. There will be butcher's paper and lots of colored pieces of sticky paper or stickers, and we'll finish up that table as a group activity during our LA Meeting.

If we can pick up on that for homework between now and LA, that would be a good thing to do. What we were then going to do as our next Item in today's call – and now I'm still fighting with technology but I'm surrounded by glowing screens that are at least starting to wake up, and I'll somehow get into a room shortly – very soon I'll be told I'm coming in through too many devices – I'll at least be looking at the meeting page.

The next Item that we were able to discuss... Gisella, if you could just help me on what's next on the Agenda, if indeed we've finished up on AIs and the fact we'll be doing our table at our face-to-face?

GISELLA GRUBER: If I may, Gunela does have her hand raised.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Gunela, I'm delighted that you've joined us. I did mention that you should be joining us, but go ahead please.

---

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Thank you very much Gisella and Cheryl. I came in a couple of minutes late but I've been listening to the whole meeting so far. I just wanted to comment on a couple of things so far. One of them was in regards to one of the earlier AIs –in regard to testing various particular technologies, like group chat in Adobe Connect and so forth, by people with disabilities, especially blind people.

Since the ISOC Disability Chapter haven't been responding, and I'm not sure about VIBUG, I would suggest that we find particular people, both from the vision and hearing impairment communities, and in some cases from people with physical disabilities, to help us probably in the short-term, on an ongoing manner, to help us test some of the technologies. We had the joint meeting with the Technology Taskforce where we looked at some technologies for people with hearing impairment, and that was really useful.

But I foresee there's going to be more of this happening, and I think we need to have a systematic way of engaging people who are let's say expert evaluators, to assist us, to ensure we're on the right path as we go along. Maybe we need to engage them in a practical sense to do so, maybe with some resources. I think that would be helpful. That's number one.

When it comes to the table, it's a shame we won't have time today, tonight, to look at it. I'm wondering if possible if staff could look at some of the priority one suggestions and see in advance, before the LA Meeting – and maybe we can have some discussion on the Wiki and on the list – so that for the LA Meeting we are using the time as productively as possible to be able to action some of those items.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hold on a second. Can you expand on that slightly then; on what you want staff to look at and do?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Yes. Okay. The first example is a stock take of what ICANN already does to address accessibility. That for me would be very helpful, to prepare for the LA Meeting, so that we have that as a base to start with, rather than discussing some of these other tasks and then having to go backwards and forwards over this.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, thanks. I just wanted their AI to be particularly clear, so that's some audit or checklist information from things that have already been done or are being addressed by ICANN. Can I ask Gisella or whomever else – because I'm still not able to get in any rooms – to find out which staff, across how many departments – it's slightly a bigger question that was found in the beginning of what you're proposing. I'm still not suggesting it shouldn't be done, I'm just concerned about them already being very busy between now and LA anyway.

The time course on getting that completed might be an after LA thing, unless there is already meetings out of the ATLAS Group that should in fact have a copy of the proposed checklists. I don't know whether Meetings are now starting to look at some of those things from your distributed document during the London Meeting – things like that. There's a bunch of questions that could be subsets of what you're

---

saying. I just wanted to get a bit of feedback from staff as well, on how easy a task that simple-sounding question actually is. I don't know whether Gisella or Laura want to pick up on that before you go onto the next path of your suggestion Gunela. Laura?

LAURA BENGFORD:

Thank you. Hello everyone. I just had a couple of points I wanted to make, particularly on the taking stock of addressing accessibility regarding the website. I wanted to update everyone on an RFP that we're expecting to draft and work on and get out to some expert evaluators to help us out with this task of conforming to the W3C Version 2.0 Level AA Standards. We have drafted that RFP.

The second thing I wanted to update you on – and I wanted to thank Glenn McKnight for getting back to me on some feedback that you had, specifically related to some new beta functionality we had to update the search functionality on the website – that feedback is going to be very helpful to us in the near-term, in terms of rolling out new functionality and making sure it's accessible.

I look forward to talking to you, Glenn, after this call, regarding that. In terms of the timeline for that RFP, it is a standard process that we have at ICANN, and what we might be looking for from this group is some suggestions. We have a list of vendors we'd like to ask to respond to that RFP, as well as suggestions from this group as well. It would be in the area, Gunela, that you mentioned, in terms of looking at bringing in some expert evaluators to help us with these tasks.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks Laura. I'm going back to Gunela now, but I think what she's also asking for would be beyond just web and outreach material, but also physical meetings and a few other things as well. With that peg in the ground, back to you Gunela.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thank you very much Laura for that. I totally agree with Cheryl that web accessibility is vital, but we are looking at a range of different online tools, which have been starting to be looked at through the Technology Taskforce. We want to make sure that we cover off with disability evaluators there as well. That's that point. I will go on then to the table. One of the other items, which we might be able to get some discussion on and maybe move on fairly quickly, is the one about accessibility guidelines for the venues; meeting venues and so forth. That's a little bit further down the list.

It's under the next table – ensuring minimal barriers to participation and engagement at ICANN processes. Thank you very much Glenn for working on some initial guidelines, but we're fortunate that the Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability for IGF have put a fair bit of time and energy into writing comprehensive guidelines on meeting venues and accessibility. It might be something that we could use. With permission from IGF we could re-badge it for ICANN and adapt it slightly to fit ICANN's needs.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Could I hold you there? Whilst you're saying that, I think to expand on that we should note of course that Peter Major is in fact a leader of that

---

Dynamic Coalition, which I know a number of us, yourself included, are also active in, but I'm sure that we could get Peter to fast track that permission for rebranding. I'm very confident, as you would be, that Andrea would think that's a good idea as well. I just wanted to suggest that it wouldn't be an onerous task; it should be something that could be done easily and be able to be fast-tracked.

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Thank you Cheryl. I note that Glenn said that there might be some areas that are lacking. Certainly we need to ensure that it fits for ICANN and if Glenn can identify those areas and make sure we're covering everything off, I think then we have an easy path to be able to say, "Yes, we have some good accessibility meeting guidelines," and we can then work with staff for future ICANN meetings.

If I may go on, from the previous meeting we had, I spent a fair bit of time working through the priorities, time frames, and a level of effort in filling out that table. While I was doing that I made some suggestions on the Wiki on maybe making it a little bit easier for all of us to work through how best to plan. That's related to the three priority levels; but also to look at project staff and be specific about the particular time – like quarter four 2014, quarter one 2015.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

If I may, that's very much the work we're planning to do as a group activity in our face-to-face meeting in LA.

---

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Okay, that sounds very good and I look forward to participating in that. As I said in the chat, I gather that you're going to be doing active paper exercises, and I hope that for remote participants that will be facilitated.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Gunela, do you have anything else for.. I don't want to move from you if there's anything else on your list, but I want to stay on that point if you don't?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: There are a number of other [cards 00:36:05] in the listing, and I suppose the only other one I could mention at this stage is about speakers at ICANN Meetings; to include disability, community, and obviously that's far too late now for the LA Meeting, but just to keep this in mind.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. So your points from now on are pretty much linked to those list activities, so everything can of course be revisited when we do our paper exercise. Why I wanted to stop, and I'm actually in an AC room, would staff like to know I've had to go and find... I don't even know if it's a Vista operating system, in a huge clunky old laptop, which probably has as much memory as I will in my 97<sup>th</sup> year. Consequently I've managed to join an AC room, but it's been an archeological dig through technology to find an operating system that would let me get into the room.

What I wanted to do, Gunela, is say that for remote participation on this paper exercise that we're going to be doing, workshop-style in LA on this

---

table, it will be quite an expanded exercise. The question and arrangement was that Glenn was going to come up with some clever ideas to make sure we had good video coverage and the ability to, via human – and I thought I’d be able to act as a remote moderator – be that human interface between the remote participants and those in the room.

However, I’m somewhat unimpressed – and I’m hoping Gisella will tell me that my fears are unfounded – but when I look at any of the current meeting listings for our early morning gathering in LA, it’s saying that no remote participation is being planned. Can I ask, before I get really cranky – and I may do yet – that that is an oversight or error? Thank you Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Please, you don’t have to worry. Everything’s under control. My understanding is that the remote participation has not yet been posted, so it will be available closer to the time.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. I was hoping that there were magical things happening, and the fact that every time I went to look at how our meeting was going to be run, it was saying that we weren’t going to have remote participation – because the whole thing on an Accessibility Task Force not having a remote participation tool operating in a face-to-face meeting, well, I think irony doesn’t even do it justice. Okay. Hopefully we’ll all be fine.



---

Secondly, Glenn, how are you tracking on coming up with a clever way of making sure Gunela – and hopefully more than just Gunela –attending remotely – can be full and active participants in paper activity? This is a best of a test on how the pressure to make sure that if one isn't in face-to-face, that one is equitably treated in a remote participant world. Glenn, have you got a moment or two before we move onto what I was hoping would be a longer time for discussion on Recommendation (11) from the world of ATLAS.

Glenn, how are we going to manage the remote participation and making sure that with me at least, if not someone else acting as a moderator for remote participants, that we're going to have better participation? Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

This is putting me on the spot, and it's something I'm not aware I'm responsible for. I'm a little confused by the question.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Let me rewind the tape. When we last spoke – and not at one of these meetings, but when we spoke at, I believe, the last At-Large proprietary meeting for ICANN 51 – with the rest of the group we talked about how we could better ensure, at least for the At-Large Accessibility Working Group Meeting in LA, that we had our remote participants better engaged. One of the ways that was suggested – and that's when your name came up – was to obviously have good video coverage of what was happening in the workshop coming out into the AC room.

---

In other words, rather than just looking at people or a full-room view, that the AC pod, the video-out for the AC room, had a vision stream, which was looking at what was happening, from a workshop perspective. If you hadn't picked up on that as something that we thought your skillset would be perfectly matched for, I do apologize. At least bringing it up now means you can have a think and see whether or not we can in fact do that effectively.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you for clarifying that. I do recall a bit of that conversation. That's when my phone was disconnected during that call. Yes, what I can do is I can do a live-stream. I'll set up with the staff... I'll bring my live-stream equipment and video equipment. What I'll do is I'll set the camera up on a tripod where we're doing our activities, so for people like Gunela and others they can sign in. I just need to interface with the staff. I normally do this for ISOC, and they have their own channel. I have my own live-stream channel, but I need to talk to staff.

I'll put that as an AI – to interface with the technical staff to see what they have. Yes, that's easily done. Thanks for clarifying that Cheryl. I'll put that as an AI.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Terrific. Thank you very much for that Glenn. Gisella, shall I assume that you're the primary interface for Glenn to work through now, as you're actually making the magic happen. Or to whom shall he be liaising with?

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Glenn, we can take this offline and discuss this further. We'll need to get the Meetings Team involved. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I want to make sure that the right people are using the right connections to get the right things done. I note Olivier had his hand up and then it disappeared very quickly. You said, "Why not use the AC channel?" Yes, I thought there was a pod in AC, which would be able to be used. Can I suggest that... I don't really care via what technology; live-stream or whatever, that it's done. My preference is to try and have it in the primary tool that we're used to using for remote participation for ICANN face-to-face meetings. As Olivier has pointed out, that is AC.

It may very well be that the live-stream channel runs into one of the pods. I don't know about that. That's a Dev and Glenn thing to play with, not a Cheryl thing to deal with. I'd like to just see it actually work on some of my equipment from time to time. My needs are far more simple. Olivier's also said in the chat that yesterday, at the event where he is, in the Ukraine, they used an AC channel and camera was included in the setup.

That's certainly, Olivier, what I had mentally envisaged, and right now I'm just hoping that the magic can all happen. I'd rather not spend too much time on today's call, if we can just trust that that amazing things will happen behind the scenes with the Meetings Team, that usually happens, and all will be well. It's critical that at our meeting we have remote participation that's effective. That's an AI on Glenn and Gisella and whomever in Meetings it takes to make it work.

---

I understand Glenn that the ICANN AC is only one wide shot and not effective in close-up. That was exactly our point. What we wanted to do was have it effective and closed-up. It may very well be that it's as simple as putting up a different vision in the pod. As I say, I'm sure there is a way. You know what we need. Get back to us if the magic can't happen, but we'll be working on the perhaps ignorant assumption that all will be well on the day. To that end, if there is a problem, let us know.

If not, when we arrive in LA we'd like to think that everything will be tested and actually running when we get our Working Group started – especially because it's so early in the morning and the tech team may not be starting operation, etcetera. Glenn, over to you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Just on another issue, because Dev doesn't have voice, I've been chatting to him and he's been responding. If you notice in the chat box, he's given a link on the Flash issues in Adobe Connect. It's unfortunate he can't speak, but he's looked into this in much detail. He's provided a link on the updates on the Flash there. I'm not sure if that will solve your android problem. It's unfortunate he's not able to join, but I've already emailed Gordon to give a report on that as well.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Glenn. Look, the reason I moved from the equipment that is my more normal comfort zone to joining AC rooms via the mobile app, was to get around the Flash problem. That's a longstanding issue. What Gisella was describing is also a relatively new issue, which may or may

---

not be associated with Flash. The issue I have today with some of my android devices is not a Flash issue in as much as it is telling me that the room does not exist. That's an address issue.

We haven't even got to the room to have the Flash not work. It's an even earlier "oopf" and I'd suggest only since the recent update. It's been updated and completely glitched. Heidi, as I welcome you, you'll note as far as we are into our Agenda, that the gremlins have taken over in some of our lives, and we've been doing our best to meet some of the technology challenges, which from an accessibility point of view are extremely frustrating.

We've also jumped a little bit ahead and picked up on some of the LA Meeting planning in terms of how we will be looking at the remote participation and having the ability for video-streamed close-ups, etcetera. There's a couple of AIs where that's all going to be working perfectly well, with, as Glenn's putting in the chat now, a second camera, etcetera. We're just going to trust the people who know what they're doing to do what they do.

I won't become a cranky old bitch, which I could very well do – I have years of practice at that – unless it all fails on the day. Fair warning all: I'm trusting that everything will be fine on the day. I will look forward to having a little advanced test, which might happen on the weekend, I'd like to think. Having hopefully dealt with Item #4, I'd like to come back to, for far too short a time, #3, which for some of you, Dev, Olivier and Yasuichi, that have been on calls already where Recommendation (11) from the ATLAS II event in London has been discussed.

---

What we had planned for today's call was the majority of the call to be spent on looking at this particular issue. More specifically though, it was to look at a question that was directly addressed to us, and indeed to the TG2 that came up with this as well. This is as follows. Recommendation (11) from the ATLAS II held in London in June 2014 states: "ICANN must implement a range of services to facilitate access according to various criteria (gender, cultural diversity) and user needs (disabilities, etcetera)."

Glenn and Judith have, in email, already raised a question about what does the "various criteria" or "user needs" mean, but as Chair of two of the three or four taskforces or work groups that are give Recommendation (11), Dev, who very frustratingly can't be on the audio channel – this is going from the "cor blimey" to the ridiculous today – has asked us to discuss the following question: "Can we please clarify the various criteria such as gender or cultural diversity aspects, noting that at least the Technology Taskforce is assuming user need aspect is understood to mean access for the differently abled of us who don't, and those of us who don't have high speed internet or reliable Internet access?"

So we've got the Technology Taskforce working on recommendation (11), we've got ours, the Accessibility Taskforce working on Recommendation (11). We've got the Outreach Sub Committee working on Recommendation (11), and every other aspect of Recommendation (11) will clearly need to have a good deal of definitional work and collaboration done on it. The first thing is, from our point of view, the Accessibility Taskforce's point of view, is to note that Recommendation

---

(11) is a big accessibility question, and one that rightly, in terms of implementation, we'd need to be involved with.

It's clearly one that is going to go well beyond just our Taskforce and include a number of other groups. So we need to do two things in today's call, or at least recognize two things in today's call, which needs to go out as ongoing work. The first would be to answer this question on the clarification of various criteria, such as gender or cultural diversity, and looking at how we might put together a uniformly-understood and agreed definition of what's meant by that part of the recommendation.

Than all of the taskforces, work groups and sub committees that are engaged in this question can be working from a shared and common understanding. There's a bit of definitional work to do there, but the second thing is of course that whilst this is a path, it's actually only a small part of the task we have ahead of us in the world of accessibility in ICANN. It's an important piece, but it's not the only piece we need to do. We need to ask ourselves how are we, as a Task Force going to approach this question.

Are we going to look at it as a Committee as a whole? That might be a good thing to do immediately after the LA Meeting or as part of the LA Meeting, if we have an informal opportunity to meet up with some of the other people out of the Outreach Sub Committee and Technology Taskforce, who are also working on this. I'd also like to suggest though that the Leadership of all of the taskforces, work groups and sub committees that have Recommendation (11) make some formal approach to collaborate and cooperate with each other on this.

---

Dev made the first step by wearing his many hats and being, I think, in every one of the groups that's owning Recommendation (11). I'm sure he'll keep his eye across all of it, but I think there probably needs to be a formal approach to make sure that we're all working together rather than at crossed purposes on this. To that end, looking at our enemy – time – today, and noting that I don't want this to hijack our workshop in LA, I'd like to suggest that this sounds like inter-sessional work between now and the LA Meeting.

It will involve some correspondence between the leadership of all of these task forces and people engaged with Recommendation (11), but also that immediately after LA we have a single purpose conversation, just on Recommendation (11). Gunela, over to you.

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Thanks Cheryl. In regard to Recommendation (11) I think it's excellent that we can work with other groups, obviously the Technology Taskforce and other working groups, [unclear 00:56:53] on these particular issues to deal with [future] needs. However, at the LA Meeting we'll be working through a number of objectives and suggested actions that have already been documented, and there might be others that come up through this action.

I feel fairly confident that from the disability perspective and future needs, we are progressing in the planning stages – not in the actioning stages, at this stage – but the important thing is that we can communicate across the various relevant groups in ICANN to ensure that we communicate and share information where it's relevant to other



---

groups. I feel fairly confident that we're on the right track to assist with this.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks Gunela. I couldn't agree with you more. Of course, the pressure to have implementation and implementation planning effectively done for all of the ATLAS II recommendations is very high, via the Board onto the ALAC and via them to us in the At-Large community. It is going to be a high priority. We, I believe – I think you're absolutely correct – I will place at the planning level, to input where we are and how we are proposing a number of these issues be addressed into that work stream, but we want to make sure that that work stream is effectively coordinated.

Olivier, I don't know whether you've voice-in or not, but as Dev doesn't, I'm going to pick on you instead of him. I do prefer to pick on Dev, but never mind. He's ducking me by claiming he doesn't have audio-in. Olivier, is there anything you'd like to say by how you think our coordination might be able to be more effective on this Recommendation (11)? If too many cooks get engaged it might turn out to be a mess, but with the right coordination it should be one of the easiest of the recommendations to get in way ahead of the implementation planning.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Cheryl. I have audio. I've just stepped out. I decided to sit right next to the door so that when called upon by Cheryl Langdon-Orr I would be able to leap out of the room and be able to speak. I think that,

---

as you said, we have to be careful of not having too many cooks doing the same thing. Perhaps we could look at the hierarchy of how the information is required, because with other Working Groups we've found out that one group has to provide information to another before the other can act.

For example, the Finance and Budget Sub Committee would have to have information from some other working groups before being able to do the costings for it. I wonder whether the ability here to share our workload... Obviously we have the luck of having some people who are in more than one group being able to act as a bridge between them, but basically having the hierarchy, like one group first needs to deliver what, and then task it onto the next group for them to be able to do their work. Or is this not possible?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I would think that unless it's possible then we run a real risk of it becoming slightly – to use my Australianism that I haven't put into a meeting for such a long time – a dog's breakfast. For those of you who wonder what that is, if you've ever seen a working dog's breakfast, you might have an idea of what sort of a mess that can be. If not, I think Olivier and Alan have quite a body of reference works on what it means when I say things will end up like a dog's breakfast. Over the years they've been rather amused.

That's what we'd like to avoid it becoming like; looking like a dog's breakfast. Yes, a little bit of hierarchical work is going to be well-advised. Olivier, before you go back into your meeting in the Ukraine, is

---

it your plan, as the Chair of all of this – you’re not escaping yet – to have the Leadership, key people, or representatives, or all of the committees get together on Recommendation (11) at some point? Or are you going to let us all run off in various directions? What do you want us to do sir?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. The problem is that of time. I know that next week everybody is traveling, so having so many people travel is the top one. I would suggest for the chairs of the different working groups to have a common call together for us to be able to put shape to what we want to present. I remind everyone that we have a deadline for the recommendations. We have a Board Meeting. The ALAC has a meeting with the Board on the Tuesday of the ICANN week. We have to do one of two things.

For some recommendations we have to either provide them with the expanded recommendation and a fully worked-out question or recommendation of such. For others, a status as to what plan we have to implement this, or to come back with them with the fully-cooked recommendations. It would definitely be of benefit if the Chairs of all of those Working Groups that are involved – with of course each one prepared with what they’ve done so far – would be able to coordinate this on a call. [overtalking 01:03:45]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, what you might have to do is one of those “make it so” statements that chairs get to do at times, and Dev is on the call, I am on the call, I know Tijani and you, who’ve come in from the Finance and

---

Budget Sub Committee as well – those of us who are on every one of these sub committees will just have to make the time available, even if it's available some time when we all actually gather in LA. It shouldn't take long, just on Recommendation (11) to put at least a paragraph together. Someone just has to make us get into a single place and space and get it done.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Since we have several people on the call, how does Monday or Tuesday look to anyone here? Is anybody traveling Monday or Tuesday?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Monday and Tuesday next week?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. We're saying we've got the weekend now and then Monday or Tuesday we can have a call. I'm only traveling on Thursday. I know others are traveling before that time.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Dev is typing, so let's see what he says. He's saying Monday or Tuesday is fine. I do whatever Gisela puts in my calendar, so if she can find a space, I'll be there. I guess what we'll do is suggest out of this Accessibility Taskforce Meeting that a sub committee of leadership represent our work aspect of this task in this coordinated group, in a call early next week. Of course, what we'll also do is make available, whenever this call is, so anyone else from the Accessibility Taskforce, but

---

I'd suggest any of the groups engaged in Recommendation (11) can also join that call when it's organized.

I guess that AI then Olivier, if I can channel you, is for staff to arrange this single-purpose call on Monday or Tuesday next week, and to allow for information on that call to go out to the membership of all of the interested groups, but that the leadership of those groups must attend.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You're absolutely correct Cheryl. As I will say, the first step for this is for Gisella to send a Doodle to only the chairs of the taskforces, so that at least we have a mutually convenient time for all of the chairs of the taskforces. Then of course we can open the call for everyone else.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. That's the AI. I believe staff has captured that effectively. I'm very aware of everyone's time and the value of it, that all of you are giving to our Taskforce today. We'll work on Recommendation (11) between now and getting to LA. More work on it will happen, but we'll have our part of it well-represented in what goes to the Board on the following Tuesday in the ALAC and Board meeting.

We'll keep our fingers crossed that the technology gremlins are not as vicious as they were for today's call, when we have our face-to-face meeting, and that we do have five-star remote participation opportunities when we workshop our table. I'd very much value any issues that can be ironed out well in advance of that meeting, starting at 7:00 am to be done. The prior planning to present [unclear 01:08:14]

---

performance needs to come into play here, because when we all walk in at 6:45 am we just don't need anything going on at the time.

I want to thank all of you for putting up with unbelievably challenging technical problems, but I guess it's, can I suggest, perfectly good that something focusing on accessibility at least has a bit of real-life practice on the challenges for accessibility when the tools fail you. With that, I'm bringing this call to a close with a final question on any other business from anyone, noting that I will be available to review AIs with staff immediately after the call.

Our next meeting will be face-to-face in LA. At that LA Meeting we will also be starting and establishing a routine, in other words a standardized meeting date and time process between LA and Marrakech, to serve our ICANN Accessibility Taskforce outcomes. Any Other Business from anyone? Speak now or forever hold your peace. Those of you traveling to LA, travel safe. Those of you who are joining us remotely, we will have all our best efforts to make sure that your input in engagement in the meeting is as effective as ours.

We will also work on Recommendation (11) on behalf of you all. Bye for now. Thank you staff. Thank you linesman. Thank you ball boys. Now you can all go and look at Google and search engines to define what a dog's breakfast looks like. Bye bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**