

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone. On today's first call of the At-Large Ad-Hoc ICANN Accessibility Working Group call on Thursday, 13<sup>th</sup> of February at 19:00 UTC. We have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Glenn McKnight, Joly McFie, Siranush Vardanyan, Garth Bruen, Gunela Astbrink.

We don't have any apologies, and from staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco and myself, Gisela Gruber. If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much Gisela. When I speak I hear a little bit of reverberation. Is that true for everyone else, or just for me?

GARTH BRUEN: I'm hearing a bit of an echo, yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Is that any better? I'll try another set-up. I'll fiddle with my technology while we get going. The first thing I'd like to do... I do apologize for the slight echo. We have new phone system in and we're getting used to it. The delight I have of being in this first call, for what I believe is an essential aspect for any global or successful organization, is indeed having a focus on the accessibility of their outreach, their ability to be in-reached to, and of their processes.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

So this is a very exciting thing and I'm thrilled to pieces with it. We've got an umber of discussion items and we do wish to switch to that now, Gisela. Thank you very much. Just before we get going, I do think it might be a good idea to do a quick round robin and get to know each other. Not specifically in an ICANN context but in the context of our interests and our experiences in the specific world of accessibility.

You'll notice I keep using the word "accessibility", not "disability", and I'm doing that deliberately. Just for you to all to get to know a bit about each other in this particular spectrum, let's do a quick round robin. I'm Cheryl Langdon-Orr and I've been involved in accessibility issues mainly as a consumer advocate in the telecommunications area, and via some of the work with Gunela in the Australia context, in some advice to some organizations and working with our Federal Government.

Gee, Gunela, that's been nearly 15 years. Why do I have a particular interest? Because I'm fascinated with the whole area of open and equitable input into policy development, which is why I got involved in things like ICANN and the Internet Society in Brisbane, and with my own ongoing disability, which will have me more and more physically disabled over the next decade or so. As I am wheelchair bound I have a vested interest.

Let's go to our next person. We may as well take them down in order on the Adobe Connect list. I'll come to staff later, because I suspect they're here for a whole lot of reasons. We'll have Garth, Gunela, Glenn, Joly and Siranush. Garth – a quick intro from you please.

---

GARTH BRUEN:

I think this is a good idea to do this background. When I was in the boy scouts a long time ago, we used to work with a blind group of boy scouts, and we'd act as guides on camping trips. That's going back decades to my first experience. Then, in my first systems administrator job, we upgraded the antiquated deaf telecommunications systems, and that was a big project that I was heavily involved in.

This extended over into outreach in general to the deaf community, and we ended up bringing in a whole series of deaf interns from a local deaf high school to work in our document-imaging project. One of these deaf high school students we ended up hiring full-time. We ended up sponsoring her to go to college and – I don't work there any more – she is one of their most important and effective employees now.

She was also a refugee from the Liberian civil war, so we took her under our wing. Since getting involved in ICANN I've taken a personal interest in making sure that this project gets off the ground. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Hi everybody. Garth and I would just like to mention that he may be one of the old-timer boy scouts, but I tried to get into the girl guides, but they wouldn't let me in. That aside, my particular interest is the disabled community. Over the last number of years I've worked with a number of not-for-profits in a consulting capacity, and particularly in Ontario with the Disability Act.

---

Some of the things I've created and done, presentations, to groups, particularly around the haunt industry. The haunt industry is the largest holiday next to Christmas. It's the Halloween festival, and those who are not American, or North American, don't understand this whole ritual, but I may assure you there's huge interest in going to a haunt attraction. They're also called "horror houses".

I've been doing a number of presentations to people who've operated these seasonal attractions to be more embracing to the disabled community. I have a website called "Haunt Accessibility" and slideshows talking about the positive aspect of accommodating to the ADA guidelines.

One last thing: Garth and I, from our outreach initiatives from over a year ago, we absolutely looked at the disabled and special needs community in particular, and that's a bit interest for us for our NARALO outreach. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Glenn. Gunela?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Hi everyone. I've worked with disabilities for over 20 years, in a number of different ways; through research and development and universities both in Australia and [in New Zealand? 00:08:14]. Can you all hear me? Good. I should say that my interest in disability, I suppose, started as a child, and through a childhood condition I had, which put me in hospital and incapacitated me for a long time.

---

That continues on throughout my life, so I have personal experience of disability, and I'm a member of Women With Disabilities Australia. I've been National Coordinator for [Pedi Corp? 00:08:53], which was an Australian Government-funded project to advocate on behalf of people with disabilities to achieve better access to telecommunications, products and services in Australia.

I've worked in the European context with European Commission projects on improving access. Through my career I've really spent a lot of time creating awareness about disability and access to telecommunications and the Internet as an Internet Society of Australia Director, being fortunate to work with ISOC globally on disability awareness-raising through workshops; both for Chapter Leaders and for disability organizations.

I've run a lot of disability awareness workshops. I've written articles to send to their conferences about access to the Internet in a variety of different ways. Coming from the disability sector I understand all the different needs. Most recently I suppose, working with the Oz registry and their article on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities last year, in raising awareness to registries and registrars on the importance of considering with accessibility.

I could say I have quite a lot of experience. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I would say a lot of experience. Thank you very much. Joly?

---

JOLY MCFIE:

I'd first like to compliment Gunela for her work on the paper she did for ISOC, which is very useful, and the best resource that I can currently find. With ISOC and [inaudible 00:11:13] Chapters since '97, I've been in since '98. My first experience with accessibility was I was shout-casting audio streaming, in the early days of streaming around 2000, and running servers.

I picked up a guy from New Zealand, who was running a thing called [Blind Line? 00:11:40], which was a streaming radio show for blind people, which is now being picked up by the American Council for the Blind, and it still runs. It came from that originally so I keep up with that. You probably know that my area is video and webcasting.

My distinct interest is in transcription, and I'm promoting the use of [Omara? 00:12:00], which I think is a good service and [generally time? 00:12:06] to crowd-source transcription as much as possible, or to find sponsors. Whilst I'm by default the organizer of one web day, after everybody else skipped it, last year I dedicated it to [Sydney Waddle? 00:12:24], and her efforts, which I think should be developed and continued.

Lastly, I've joined the Internet Society Disability and Special Needs Chapter and I think that's something that's worked for those of us within ISOC, but I think it's probably in need of rejuvenation and we should put some efforts into that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you Joly. Yes, I think many of us are very deliberately trying to continue on with the legacy that Cynthia left us. She would be sorely

---

missed in this sector. Look, I recognize that Siranush is only – and I'll see if that's better hearing, I'm getting far too much feedback – on the Adobe Connect room, so for the record I'm going to read what Siranush has written to us. She's only via Adobe.

Briefly, she volunteers for the Armenian Association for the Disabled: Pyunic. That means the bird phoenix, since 1997. The organization is very much involved in providing numerous activities in support for the disabled. They have many people affected by physical disabilities, after the devastating earthquake in 1988, and she was involved in the organization of the summer and winter camps that they organize each year, annual marathons, participation specifically with wheelchair and physical access issues.

The organization is involved in advocacy and networking for the rights of the disabled, internships, support in providing medical help to many of their organizational members, as well as vocational training, which is designed to provide both training and employment opportunities to the community. That includes improving printing and various handicrafts, etcetera.

To that end, I want to thank Siranush very much for being a particular advocate within the Asia Pacific space, and note that of course her organization is an At-Large structure. Garth has raised a terribly important issue, which is the mailing list name, which is accessed at [inaudible 00:15:02] its [ability]. I suspect this is a typo, not a play on words. I don't think they're clever enough to be doing plays on words, but we will fix that. Thank you very much Garth.

---

The oother thing I just want to note, listening to you all, and there is a couple of... Obviously we never cover everything and what I'd encourage you to do is, if you've got your own Wiki page, your personal Wiki page, your name will be linked to that page. I'd encourage you to all put a small space on that page, as I'll be doing, and I trust the rest of you will now.

Just give a little bio part specifically on the issues of accessibility, just so we can promote a little more about why – a little kernel of how, to start with, this very important topic has gathered together. I do want to briefly ask staff to introduce themselves and their interests. They're motivated for all the right reasons, but they may very well have specific interest.

Just before I do that, I'm delighted to see that we have quite a diversity of interest, because accessibility isn't just a limitation to purely physical disability, but being within the physical disability sectors we often find there is a focus just on visual [party? 00:16:53], more than just on hearing [party?], more than just on physical disability, which has got a mobility outcome.

The fact that we've got such a broad range of interest here I think [inaudible 00:17:05] will probably be doing. It's very easy to fall into the trap of just thinking visual, just thinking auditory, or just thinking motor skills and mobility. We have also got on our agenda a discussion on how diverse we'll be in our early work. Can I just ask Heidi, Silvia and Gisela to very quickly introduce themselves?



---

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you Cheryl. My name is Heidi Ullrich and I'm Senior Director for At-Large. My interest in being here is that firstly I support the At-Large community, so it's my duty to be here. Having worked with ICANN and Cheryl for the last five years, I've really gained an interest from her expertise in accessibility issues, and we've had lots of Skype chats in how to ensure the color's correct for the font size, the font type, etcetera, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this.

I also want to just let you know that Christopher Mondini, who's been in touch with all of you on these issues, he sends his apologies. He's currently in the air, flying home back to Los Angeles. We do hope that Joe Catapano is going to be joining us shortly. He works with Christopher and he's in D.C. juggling the snow and a baby. He should be joining any moment now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. I look forward to Joe coming on. Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello everyone. My job is I'm a Manager of the five RALOs and I really welcome this initiative. As Heidi said, it's part of our job to be here and to support, in my case, the initiative that's come from the bottom. This is truly an initiative that came from the bottom – from APRALO to Siranush, and we really congratulate this initiative.

My goal personally is to make the RALOs more open; to have them as a place where the users, including the disabled communities, can come and feel that they have a place where they can collaborate and share

---

with the rest and learn about the Internet and about ICANN, and to have a voice. To that extent, I think the broader scope of this initiative, to include people with disabilities, is great.

I'm just looking forward to seeing this Working Group consolidate and be a pioneer within ICANN. I'm very happy to work with you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Silvia. It's exactly what you said – pioneering and very exciting. Just before I go to Silvia I'd also suspect that with your legal background you also – as both Garth and Glenn have raised; and as both Gunela and myself, to a lesser extent have worked with, and Joly has also pointed out –, going to the rights of accessible and equitable issues, do have matters in various countries, in various ways.

There are also some universal rights, which I'm sure we'll be talking about as we get through our work. So a little legal work goes a long way in this, sometimes. Gisela?

GISELLA GRUBER: I've been working with ICANN now for five years. I provide administrative and secretariat support for At-Large. Having worked with Cheryl for the past five years, I think my point of view is mainly the... Purely logistics within the ICANN meetings for the accessibility for those who... Cheryl's going to have to help me here?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible 00:21:34]. [laughter] I'm allowed to say it. You're not.

**GISELLA GRUBER:** The physical accessibility during the ICANN meetings. There are people who are in wheelchairs, or have walking disabilities, which is sometimes very tricky. We've always got to find the back route, sometimes even the service lifts, but I think we do quite well.

From my point of view, what's interesting as well, is that at the meetings, unless you say your name in the microphone the translators don't know who's speaking. For that matter, people who are blind will not know who's speaking. I'm looking forward to working with you all. Thank you.

**CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:** Thanks Gisela. I did actually do that terminology because we will be constantly challenged by trying to have conversations and be politically correct. Most of us have a good sense of humor, and whilst all our records will be open, I'd ask us to be tolerant with terminology. Of course, it's difficult for Gisela to describe mobility and lack of mobility issues in an easy way.

But yes, she's had to have be carted up and down in lifts with the garbage! She's certainly managed it – me and the refuge, in some of the places we've had ICANN meetings in. It is a good [grounding? 00:23:23] for the work to be done. Heidi, when Joe joins us we'll have a brief intro from him, just in case. Working with Chris, obviously his interests are in getting this all right, isn't it?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I'll let you know when he joins.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Terrific. I must say, I've never minded going with the garbage, but I have seen some awfully interesting back-ends involved in some of the venues. You guys usually only get to see the shiny, bright and wonderful parts of these places we meet in. Believe me, when you go beyond some of the doors there is a whole new world out there! However, what's Heidi saying? [laughter]

Just the tiniest thing, for example: it's only taken about eight years – it would have been about 2009 that I suggested it would be a very good time to try and have the rooms allocated to me closer to the lift. In the last few months, in the last three or four months, I now have that listed: "Please request a room close to the lift," when ICANN Constituency Travel book my room. That's the sort of thing that makes a huge difference to many of us.

Of course, without Gunela and people like you working nationally and internationally to note that accessibility within venues happen, it's something that we'd never be able to benefit from. So we're all working to the one end here, and it's [inaudible 00:25:28] indeed, particularly from an ICANN perspective.

Let's get down to some of our other discussion points.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Cheryl? I've just heard from Joe that he's on the call. I'm just sending an email to let you know what's going to be happening in just a moment.

---

JOE CATAPANO:                    Okay...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:        Just jump in in the deep end, Joe. [laughter]

HEIDI ULLRICH:                 Sorry about that. I'm not sure how long you've been on the call, but we have just finished giving... Cheryl, do you want to let him know?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:        Joe, if you want to give a brief intro? Chris I think we worked with a little bit, but you're a new name for us.

JOE CATAPANO:                 Sure. Hi everyone. My name is Joe Catapano. I'm the Coordinator for Global Stakeholder Engagement in North America, working with Christopher Mondini. I've been with ICANN since late September, and I work out of a D.C. office, and I'm happy to be here and be in this group and help on this very important initiative.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:        Thanks Joe. I'm glad that things like being snowed in etcetera have even allowed you to join us. Chris has got this really good excuse of being at 32,000 feet, but of course if we had good universal design, and good

---

accessibility principles, even if you are snowed in you should be able to still get to do some, if not all, of what you need to do in a day.

If you can get it right for accessibility for specific needs then we can usually get it right for the whole community. There's no down side in exploring all of these things. Welcome and thank you very much for joining us. We look forward to working with you and the rest of your team over the coming months.

To that end, let's jump to our next piece of Agenda, which is where I thought we'd look at reviewing our purpose and proposed activities – recognizing we're going to have some short-term; talking about end-of-the-year stuff we can do, medium term, which would be financial year '15/16, and it would be nice to have some longer, maybe three-year term of engagement planning done.

None of that will be covered in today's introductory short meeting, but it's always good to recognize that we're here for a project that may in fact take us a little while, and that we'll have to prioritize, even if we recognize important need and opportunity. Sometimes things have to be done in a certain order, or sometimes things have to be done before something else can happen.

Let's look at the purpose of our Ad-Hoc Working Group. I don't think we need to discuss the fact that we're here to make ICANN a global leader in accessibility and to allow for engagement of all in this activity, and to have input into its policies and processes. I think that's a given. That's why we're all here.

---

We have had some discussion on this, and on the Wiki chat. One of the points raised was the possibility, if not advantage, of changing the name to the following: the At-Large Ad-Hoc ICANN Access and Diversity Working Group. Gunela proposed this and she's given us an excellent rationale, which I've put in the notes. I'm going to ask her to speak to it. Over to you, Gunela.

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Thank you Cheryl. Thank you again for having this group set up, and you as interim Chair. I think this is such a great initiative, and obviously I've been advocating in a variety of channels for accessibility and to actually have [inaudible 00:30:00] together for [a start?] is absolutely wonderful. When it comes to the name I think we need to be very clear on what we're going to be doing and what groups we're going to be representing.

The initial population are people with disabilities, people from indigenous backgrounds, and then a very diverse group on homeless people, refugees and so forth. My first concern is we're doing this net very widely and I'm wondering if really that is practical; to cover all those particular groups, in the one Working Group here.

There is so much work on accessibility for people with disabilities who are staff, and while we want to cover as much as possible we have to be careful that we don't dilute our efforts. My point, first of all, is should we only cover disability in this Working Group, and then the name is correct, the Accessibility Working Group?

---

If for whatever reason we need to cover the broader population then we need to reflect that in the name of a Working Group, which I suggest would be “Access and Diversity”. Thanks Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I’d like to open that up for some comment. Gunela’s put the hypothesis and the proposal forward. Let’s talk it over. The floor is open. Either just speak up or wave at me in Adobe Room. Some comments from anyone? Garth, go ahead.

GARTH BRUEN: Are there any particular terms that we should absolutely stay away from, that people might consider offensive?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Some sectors even balk at terms like “disability”, and that’s when you end up in the special needs area. I’ve always found it’s safest to go with a positive aspect, like accessibility, but there is a lot of different cultural acceptances in various areas.

It’s not unusual, for example, in societies doing fantastic work in some emerging and developing economies, to find absolutely no problem and good leverage, because it’s perfectly understood to have “crippled children’s benefits groups” and things like that. Now, that jars on people like me, unless I use it about me, and yet it’s perfectly acceptable in some of these economies that ICANN will be engaging.



---

I think we need to have a nice thick armor and be very open and inclusive and accept pretty much whatever language comes our way. But I think there's probably advantage from an ICANN point of view, and from it being a best practice organization, to be cautious and smart, and certainly not go outside of what's considered the norm in the more advanced and numerous countries that its active participants come from.

That's a very wishy-washy answer from my perspective, recognizing I'm more than happy recognizing I'm going to end up "crippled", therefore there's nothing wrong with the word. I also recognize that is something that's not acceptable in some norms. Gunela, over to you.

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Thank you Cheryl. Terminology is always challenging in this particular area, and terminology changes, as advocacy changes over the years. In the past, "handicapped" was an acceptable word, then "disabled people" was acceptable, and then it needed to be "people with disability" and then "persons with a disability". So it is challenging, but I think if we can reflect current thinking in the disability community, it's useful.

One term in the disability community that people are concerned about is "special needs", and it relates to that people with disabilities often see it as, "Okay, we have special needs, no one else does, and we are put in a box to decide having these special needs." It's really that the community is placing barriers before people who have a disability, and therefore there are particular needs that need to be addressed.

---

Again, Cheryl mentioned about universal design. If the physical and online community can be based on universal design then people with disabilities don't have any special needs; they're just part of the community. So that is one particular term that I'd be concerned with.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks very much for that Gunela. Because I'm typing in the chat, which means I can't see if anyone's got their hand up, is there anyone else with their hand up? No? Okay. Well, I think what we might do is put the proposed change... First of all, let me ask you a question.

The new At-Large Ad-Hoc ICANN Access and Diversity Working Group, do you see any limitations in that text? I personally don't, but I want to check with you that you don't either. I, for example, do not see that that is excluding any of the disadvantaged groups, if that's the case.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thanks Cheryl. I think that if we are going into those different populations in this group then "Access and Diversity" really does cover it all.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. To that end I think we should ask two questions. I'll go to Garth first. Over to you.

---

GARTH BRUEN: I just want to make sure that nobody confuses what we're doing with other types of accessibility, in terms of connectivity of technology or language issues, and that people understand that what we're doing concerns physical accessibility of the users.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I've just dropped from the Adobe room. It will hopefully find an alternate server. Heidi, if you could help me with any call management if you see me disappear... I'm back again. Garth, I actually don't see that there's a down side. I think I'm not particularly concerned if getting universal design and equitable accessibility, which is inclusive of all of the challenges that the various disadvantaged, physical or handicapped [slides? 00:39:22] terminology would bring in also includes reasonable bandwidth.

For example, if you look at the communication requirements over telephonic and modern computing possibility, you actually need... There's a big benefit for example for vide over Internet protocol does allow for far more access for far more groups, including the ability to have real-time signing and natural flow conversation for those with hearing issues.

So I kind of am not fearful of allowing those in. I see Gunela with her hand up, and obviously Garth, you would like to respond to that? Let's take Gunela and then go back to you Garth.

---

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thanks Cheryl. There has sometimes been confusion about the word “access” and “accessibility”. In the disability community “access” is widely used. Access and accessibility in the Internet community, sometimes there is some confusion between access and accessibility in that the general Internet community uses access to the infrastructure to mean one thing, whereas accessibility to websites or to online videos is another.

I think, Garth, we have to take that into account, but if we are going to use the full name: “Access and Diversity,” I think that gives the connotation that we’re not talking necessarily about the technical access to the infrastructure in terms of just general [tasks? 00:41:44] on the access and accessibility to the infrastructure and websites and so forth.

So I think if we are going to include the broader populations, which I have some concerns with, then “Access and Diversity” should be able to explain clearly what the group is about. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Garth, over to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Cheryl. Obviously technology is going to be a big part of this. Before special needs we’ll need special technology and they’re going to need more bandwidth in certain cases. I just don’t want other people to have false expectations about what they’ll be able to get out of this group. I don’t want somebody who’s focused on expanding ICANN

---

language reach, to think that we're going to specifically help them in the Working Group.

The same goes for people who may have technological accessibility. They're trying to get connectivity in their region, not necessarily associated with disabled issues, thinking that we're going to help them. I would also feel that the way that we resolve this is through the actual membership of this group.

I think that if we have more people from disabled communities within the Working Group and within At-Large, then they will help shape the agenda from their own perspective. I think that's one way we can do that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. I'm going to go to Glenn and then Joly.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: On the accessibility issue, in terms of access, as Garth was saying, for the last five years I've worked with the largest engineering society, iTripoli. We had something called the Humanitarian Technology Challenge with the UN. We did a number of pilot projects of low-cost Internet access. There's a whole lot of groups of people that are doing some amazing stuff.

They're dealing with the digital divide, the economic barrier stuff, and each of your countries has iTripoli Chapters. Also, the ISOC Small Grants Program has some financial incentive as well. I just think it's a slippery slope if we start to embrace all of the accessibility issues. I thought this

---

Committee, when we first started talking, was going to be focused on the disabled area.

That's particularly my interest – not to say those other two are not of interest for me, but I thought we would just focus on something. Most committees that I'm on – I'm on my own local city accessibility committee – we don't deal with any of those other issues. We just basically deal with the Disability Act in Ontario and what is the city legally obligated, on their website, or a physical barrier.

So just in summary, I just think we need to get a focus for what this group is.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's why we're having a conversation Glenn. Go ahead Joly.

JOLY MCFIE: I just think there's a contradiction if you're going to call yourself "Diversity" and then you're going to put on a restriction. You can't have your cake and eat it, so if you're going to restrict it to just physical disabilities you may as well call it the Physical Disability Working Group. Personally I think it's good to have it as an aspirational, wide thing, and then say, "This currently is our focus because we have [restricted? 00:45:29]."

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Joly. It's scary when I hear you channel in some of my thoughts, but frequently and often you do so, very well. It appears to

---

me that we have a watershed moment, and it's very common one in most of the important and essential conversations, as we start up particularly important work.

I'd like to remind you that in the absence of Julia – and Julia for example is one of the EURALO people, and is one who quite specifically was quite keen to get disadvantaged groups. Now, I'm just [telling? 00:46:24] disadvantaged groups as to whether or not it is access disadvantage – notice my use of “access”, not “accessibility”?

...Access to Internet and access to ICANN activities, programs, and policy development activities, whether it's remote, rural or that other grab-bag of, “I can't engage because I'm too far away,” or [inaudible 00:47:00] engaged with you type issues. So I'm concerned that we don't push babies out of the bath water in certain things, and take this conversation perhaps as the first reading, and allow for a second reading.

But I do see some light in the tunnel here, and I'd like to drill down to it. Joly, is that an old hand or would you like to say something else? You are an old hand so that's fine by me Joly. With our work, Joly hit on something that's very important.

If we're going to have a view of being able to give ICANN some advice and guidance on how it can be as open and accessible as possible for broad – if not total; because total's a very difficult thing to get – community input into it, either via the website, with it's physical locations, with its new offices, with the choice of physical meetings with whatever special design or facilities that need to be considered in

---

making choices with compliance with existing best practice, such as we had at the WCIT Consortium, or all of the above –

...If we're going to do that – and I think that's what we're on about – then there is no reason why in my view we need to be narrow in our title. We can prioritize our focus and what we will be dealing with when. So I see no problem with a change of name to something that does include access and diversity in its title.

I'm very comfortable with that, but I recognize that the low-hanging fruit, the stuff we'll be able to work with more effectively, will allow us to look at the matters, for example, of what's happening with the new website design that's about to be rolled out, with the MyICANN for example, being integrated and imported across into a new design, making sure that's right and accessible – that's the easiest part.

I'm sure all of us have done a run-through on the ICANN website with the various tools and found how compliant it is or not. Unfortunately it's not in a lot of ways as compliant as it should be, for accessibility measures. That's all the low-hanging fruit, and we'll do that, but it would be a very good thing if we could take some very helicopter, or very high-level views, on some principles and propose to ICANN some checklist.

That [inaudible 00:50:53] and its component part may wish to use, and then later must use, we would like to think, that they are making literally any decision about choice of design, choice of location, choice of how things are done. If we're going to do that there is no reason why things like language, which you've raised, cannot be included.



---

Some of you will have known that I spent an awful lot of my ICANN time being the only purely English-speaking advocate – and because I’m Australian people even question whether I speak English or not – in the early work of the IDNs. I’ve taken a very broad view on accessibility as important in ICANN. I don’t have a problem if we’re more inclusive or less inclusive.

Yes, Glenn, it is finishing in four minutes. Do you have a problem with that? If we don’t finish in four minutes we’ll carry over an Agenda, which I don’t have a problem with either. We can stick with the current title, or not, and what I’m going to do is ask you now to indicate and do a poll – we’ll put it to the list as not everyone’s on the list – as to whether or not you do think there’s merit in proposing a name change to be the “Access and Diversity Working Group.”

If you do think that’s a good idea, put up a green tick. If you don’t think that’s a good idea, as Garth doesn’t, put up a red cross. Democracy being what it is, that means that we’ll mention to the list that the name will be staying the same and that we’ll be having a focus specifically on... We’d then go back and remove the references to our aboriginal, indigenous and disadvantaged groups if that’s your wish.

If you want us to... I recognize that language and access have much attention in ICANN, and that’s very much because there are people like me working on it. We’ve done that as an accessibility issue, however if you want to talk about visual, hearing, physical disability then that’s fine. What we’re proposing is the removal of our purpose... The removal of the inclusion of our purpose for disadvantaged, indigenous, etcetera, groups.

---

We'll leave our name as it is and we'll remove... I just have, Glenn. Let me state it again...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Cheryl, you're saying a lot. Can you just be clear? Just say what we're voting on – the one thing – so we can say "agree" or "disagree".

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Removal of the reference to other than the physical disabilities. In other words, removal of our purpose looking at indigenous and other disadvantaged communities.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's clear as mud. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The second part to that – take down your green crosses – I notice that Joly hasn't voted and Siranush hasn't and neither have I... This is just a brief poll to see whether we'll do a vote or more formal poll on the list. We're not even onto that yet. The next one is assuming that we'll leave our name as is. We'll leave our name as is and we'll not change it at all. If you want to leave our name as is put up a green tick. Okay, that makes that simple. Terrific.

Sira, I'll just read for the record that you've voted against a new name because you think other disadvantaged groups might need other Working Groups to deal with their issues. They may be different from

---

disability and accessibility issues. That's noted. Thank you very much. Okay, well, we've taken longer than in an ideal world I had planned to get through that review of our purpose.

Unless we get our purpose decided very early on we'll start wafting around, as Glenn is clearly indicating I do, during our processes later. We also spent more time in our round robin but I think getting to know each other was important, so I don't have too much of a problem with that.

I'm going to ask you all to do a couple of pieces of homework before our next meeting, and that's to review our existing web and Wiki space and to make some suggestions in the comments box for any useful tools. We'll ask you to start putting, short-term, what you think we can do by in the calendar year, medium term, what we can do by next financial year and longer term ideological plans and concepts to the list, or onto the Wiki.

We'll make that the main subject of our discussion in our next meeting. I'd like to ask you now what type of meeting frequency you'd like to have. Would you like to have a meeting every fortnight? Would you like to have a meeting once a month? What is your preference? If you'd like to have a meeting in a fortnight... I think a week is probably a bit silly, but in a fortnight? Please make yourself known. Gunela?

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Thank you Cheryl. I think there's a lot to do initially in this Working Group. The discussion we've had today has been very important because we need to be very clear we agree on framing this Working

---

Group and so we can start from there some of that [inaudible 00:58:02] basis. Bearing in mind we do have a lot of work to do, I suggest fortnightly meetings to start with, to work through planning.

Once we have some of that in place we can then go to monthly meetings. We can assess that as we go along. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Gunela. That certainly works for me. Let's go to Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Cheryl. A couple of months ago Chris Mondini started to email all of us in this interest group. He was asking particular questions and we all shared with him our concept of the goals, our achievable and a tangible implementation strategy.

Unfortunately he's not on the call but I'm hoping that perhaps Joe, who's staff person with Chris, can salvage that material that all of us were sharing. That's background, valuable information that the rest of the group should share.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much Glenn. I wanted to very quickly establish whether or not we have fortnightly or monthly. I'm seeing both Garth and Siranush talking through monthly, and I don't mind one way or the other. Joly, can I ask you? Do you have a particular preference for either fortnightly or monthly – fortnightly in short term and then

---

monthly? You're like me. You'll just do what it is when does and Glenn is monthly.

Okay, well, it looks like majority seems to rule here, so monthly it is. It's probably going to be a 90-minute call, not a 60-minute call, because there will be far more work and discussion to do monthly. Joly has indicated that he likes the current time, and that was my next question. You're channeling me again, Joly! It's amazing how often you do that. We've got other people – Garth – coming in, to support this.

Let's assume we'll meet in a month's time at 19:00 to 20:00 UTC. Would 20:00 UTC be a problem? We've got a majority of people saying they'd like 19:00. 20:00's okay with Joly. Can I just ask you to put up a green tick? 20:00 would be very late with Siranush. Remember, we're talking a 90-minute call, not a 60-minute call, a 90-minute call. Can we split the difference and have 19:30 UTC starting?

Is there anyone who cannot make 19:30? It is a challenge; 19:00 for 90 minutes. Gunela, you're in the minority. Do you mind starting 19:00 for 90 minutes? Oh, well, Gunela's giving up gracefully. Thank you very much Gunela. I would prefer to have full consensus. So Gisella, you'll make the magic happen with finding the... I'm assuming this day, but we'll just make sure it doesn't clash with any existing call.

If it does, let us know and we'll have it in another month's time. We need to do a lot of work online, on the Wiki and on email. If it goes on email it needs to go on the Wiki, because the Wiki is the permanent repository. To that end I'd like to thank you on and all. I apologize for doing seven minutes over our designated 60-minute call, but I do not

---

apologize for the fact that we've had, I think, a very robust and useful conversation.

Joe, if you, Heidi and I would care to get together with maybe Chris in a little sub-team, we'll see what sort of resources and possibilities of links and things that your group already is aware of, that you can bring into our Wiki page, so our people aren't giving to you what you already know and do, that would be good. I think we also need to know what your current state of play in making accessibility and universal design part of your program is.

To that end I'd like to thank you one and all. I look forward – as I think everyone else does – to working on this very important initiative. That's almost ten minutes past the hour – eight minutes by my clock. Thank you one and all. I look forward to chatting with you online between now and the next meeting.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**