

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. This is the ALAC Leadership Team, ALT, mid-monthly meeting on Monday the 18<sup>th</sup> of August, 2014 at 21:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Murray McKercher, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Rafid Fatani, Evan Leibovitch, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Our liaisons are Maureen Hilyard, Alan Greenberg, and Julie Hammer. We have no apologies today.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Gisella Gruber, Kathy Schnitt, and myself, Terri Agnew.

I would also like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Terri. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And have we missed anyone so far on the roll call? Hearing no one speak up, let's go and actually, there is just roll call apologies. I should really ask whether there is any, any other business that needs to be added to this call for the agenda. Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi. Thank you. Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. I just wanted to add, if you have time, under any other business, to consider the web design

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

review team that's being set up. That's to look at the redesign of the At Large website.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So we'll add this to the end of the agenda. Hopefully we will go through the early part of the agenda quite fast, and in fact, is there anyone else wanting to add anything?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, this is Evan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Evan, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I just wanted to try and get an update if we're ever going to get the summary on the public interest commitment stuff.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks... This is going to be an action item actually. That's one of the review of action items, we'll go through that and Heidi will give you an update on it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Excellent. Let's get going then. Agenda item number two, let's go to the action items that we have here. And the first one is from the 27<sup>th</sup> of July ALAC call. You'll notice a lot of ticks on there, thankfully. And the only open action items that we have are for Nathalie to post the new online ALS application info on the wiki page, viewable to the public. To publicize the wiki space. Is Nathalie on the call? Yes, she is. Nathalie, could you have an update for us please?

TERRI AGNEW: Hello. It looks like [inaudible]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I've pretty much timed out on this one. Any update from any other staff member on this please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, sorry. This is Heidi. The latest on that is that it's really, we are still waiting for legal. We will follow up again. And I know you've all heard that before, but we are just at the, you know, we're just waiting for them.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Heidi. You know legal is just down to the right, turn, get out of the office, turn right, down the corridor, turn right again. Bring a baseball bat and you might get an answer faster. Alan Greenberg.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I'm just curious what the issue is that legal is flowing it down over? Can you summarize? I wouldn't have thought there is a lot of legal issues in this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. In summary, it's just a confirmation that there are a couple of changes to the text, a couple of questions have, some have been added, some have been merged, and they were just double checking that it meets requirements of the bylaws, ALS...

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's change them back then.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We're nearly there, really, we're nearly there.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this. Olivier speaking. I note that Tijani Ben Jemaa has now joined us as well. So the participants list is being updated. Let's go to the next action item, that's for staff to monitor the use of additional languages on all of our calls. And that's ongoing, no update required for the time begin.

---

Staff is also to perform the initial analysis of the PAB, public forum contribution, and the new gTLD working group is to take up the follow up work on this. Staff is to send an email to Evan to remind him about this, and staff is going to provide us with an update since Evan has asked about it, just a moment ago. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, so this is Heidi. It is in progress. And I know I promised I would have that done last week, but once I got into the actual comments, they were a lot more detailed than I had expected. So I'm working on them, and I really do think that I'll finish them this week.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much Heidi. Alan Greenberg, you have a question or a comment.

ALAN GREENBERG: I have a hand up that I didn't take down.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Excellent, thank you. That was a good comment. Any other comments or questions on this? Evan, you had asked about this. So this is the answer for the time being, hopefully within a week.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Just as an update to everyone, in functioning as chair on the gTLD committee, this has sort of been the main thing on the plate. So I have

---

been waiting on this... I mean, at a certain point, I was saying, “Should I stop waiting and just do it?” And then I got the answer, “Well, the staff summary is coming.” So, that’s the only reason why you haven’t seen further action on this from the gTLD committee.

I have asked for time in Los Angeles for the committee to meet, in the premise that we will have some action to do on this. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this update Evan. Good, so that’s now concluded our first set of action items. I ask you to look at the second set of action items, and that’s from our last ALT call on the 31<sup>st</sup> of July. And on there, you will see only a handful of action items. The one for Ariel to work with Dev and Olivier on the development of an overall space for the collection of At Large action items.

I’m going to work with Ariel later on this week to actually consolidate the action items that we have under a long-term goals, in-progress, long-term goals, no update required. And in progress, long-term goals update required because having read through those, they’re quite a few of them that are certainly out of date.

So Ariel and I will work on this and we’ll have a discussion again on this, development of an overall work space, if we can have such a space. Dev Anand, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. One of the methods I was trying to address this issue, is to restructure our meeting pages. A

---

proposed template is out for review, for how this is structured, so that items from each of those meetings can then be pulled in, into a consolidated area, for lack of a better word. So that's all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Dev. It's Olivier speaking. Can a history of these action items be kept with this new system or not? Because one of the good things, and we can keep a history of them.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. And I think, keeping track of the history is very, the key challenge. I think it's easy to get a snapshot of all of the open action items, but maintaining the history has been the big challenge with keeping track of the action items, as to when the action items were added, when they were removed, and so forth.

So the restructuring the meeting pages would help in creating a snapshot of current open action items. Regarding keeping a history, I think ultimately, well we ultimately... I think ultimately the staff will have to create a workflow for creating a historical archive of action items. And that's the challenge, how to simply that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks Dev. We'll still work on this. And so this action item remains un-ticked for the time being. Next, Ariel and Gisella are to connect the data regarding the pre-ATLAS 2 capacity building webinars. The number of presentation downloads, etc. Ariel or Gisella, do you have any feedback on this?

---

ARIEL LIANG:

Hello everyone, this is Ariel for the record. Yes, we do have something to report on this action item. I have worked with IT, and unfortunately they told us that they would not be able to track the numbers of downloads of MP3 files and presentation slides. However, there is a way to, [on the sentence] how many views of the capacity building webinar pages are.

And actually, I installed a macro on my personal wiki space to show the numbers of views, since mid-April. That's the only thing we can show now for the capacity building webpage. But in the future, once the wiki system is upgraded to the latest version, we will be able to install [inaudible] called Google Analytics. And I will paste the URL here. And this [inaudible] will provide us all the information we need about the numbers of downloads, and it will show us the graph.

Like we can see the line graph, and it shows very good analytics. But right now, the [inaudible] is still an older version, so we have to wait for the system to be upgraded later on. So in sum, we can understand the number of views of the capacity building webinar wiki pages, but we can't tell the numbers of downloads.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you Ariel. Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Olivier. Tijani speaking. Ariel, it's impossible to know how many people have loaded the MP3, and also the transcripts?



ARIEL LIANG: [Inaudible] Tijani, this is Ariel speaking. No it's not possible to see the downloads. And one of the reasons, we didn't install any kind of plug in to track that number beforehand, and also the type of plug in we can install when applied to the current Confluence system. So the Confluence system is too old to enable that type of plug in, so we cannot show the number of downloads. But we can show the number of page views.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. A follow up question for you. Can you [inaudible]...

ARIEL LIANG: I'm sorry, Tijani, could you please repeat your question? I can't hear you clearly.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, yes. You said that in the newer version we will be able to count the number of downloads, when is this facility going to be installed?

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thank you Tijani. The new system will be installed sometime this weekend. So the IT is working on that, upgrading the system. And after that, we can use Google Analytics, which can potentially show those numbers. But unfortunately, Google Analytics cannot show retrospective data. It means the historical data cannot show, so we still

---

can't see the numbers of downloads for the capacity building webinars. But in the future we can use that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [Crosstalk] Sorry, thanks Tijani and thanks Ariel. Let's move on further down and go for the next action item, which is regarding the following agenda item, the Speaker's Bureau. ALAC requests, should the ALAC ask that the Speaker's Bureau list of potential speakers be expanded to include a database of well-known and vetted community members? Staff to get in touch with the Speaker's Bureau first, and then Olivier can write a note to the Speaker's Bureau and push for a statement. Is there any feedback on this please staff? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I think that that's basically been done. I don't know if a note needs to be written. I thought that we had followed up on that, actually. And the people that needed to know had been informed.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, Heidi, it's Olivier speaking. So the status of this so far has been that the Speaker's Bureau has come back and has said, "Oh, but we're doing this already. We are already sending people who are..."

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, actually, yeah... [CROSSTALK]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...I think Tijani has been sent to a couple of...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Actually I'm recalling now. So it's basically, I wrote to the person in charge of that, and now it's over into the communications team. So let me follow up with them. The issue was how they were going to vet community members. So let me take, send a reminder to them to follow up on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. I would like to have a follow up, a written follow up on that please, because you know, we want to actually have and know where things are on this. Depending on whom one speaks to, you get different answers. So it would be important to actually have the low down on this.

And certainly, there is a need in our community to be able to have people from their community that would be able to go to speak to them. And that certainly is something, at the moment, doesn't seem to be institutionalized as such. ICANN has got local engagement bureaus, but they don't appear to have local engagement volunteers.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'll [CROSSTALK]... This is Heidi. I'll follow up with Jim right now on that, and ask that he reply to the ALT.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That rounds up our action items. Any questions or comments on any of the other action items that are currently on your screen? Seeing no one put their hand up, let's move to the next thing. And the next agenda item is the items for discussion. We have three statements in the pipeline, and one has just been voted on. The two are pretty much near a copy of the first one, or just a slightly different version of the first one.

And that's to do with the introduction of two character domain names in the new gTLD namespace. There has been much discussion going on about these on the ALAC list. I don't think there needs to be more discussion here. Just one question to you all, being that we have got one statement for the first one, now we've got two more that are coming up. We're very late with the filing of the first one, should we just file the same one again for the second and the third [ACs]?

I'll open the floor. I was going to ask Dev first to let us know, because I think he has been studying those two other [ACs], and then I was going to ask Evan. So Dev, can you just let us know exactly...?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. This is Dev Anand speaking. I think that the same statement can apply to the other two public comment periods for the different registries applying for the various RSSAC requests, for changes to their registry agreements. I think the stakeholder, will work for those two

---

others. And given that those are generic statements, not related to any specific registry operator, I think those will suffice.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this Dev. Next we have Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks Olivier. I guess I just wanted to expand on what Dev had just said, and suggesting that, we've already done, shall we say, an omnibus comment on anything to do in the gTLD namespace. I would think that that would automatically apply to any of the more detailed requests for public comments that would come up.

We simply, as far as I'm concerned, need do nothing more than say, you know, see there, you know, to the comment that we've already done on a general comment on all gTLDs. You know, spending any more time on the specifics of these, unless there is a specific issue with a particular TLD that has an issue of two letter names, that's different from the position that we've taken elsewhere.

I don't see why we need to do anything more than just see what we've already done. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this Evan. The only feedback I can give you on this is that we have asked, with the people in charge of those public comment, whether we could actually submit one that covers all of the

---

public comments simultaneously, and the answer that was given was, “No, you need to find one per public comment.”

So this is how we’re going to end up with one per public comment, and I can just forecast a lot of these requests coming through. If we have 1,400 applications out there, who knows how many of these are going to be asked to do a [RSSAC] on it? And that might just bump up our numbers. We’ll end up with a lot more statements this year, than last year.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Olivier, this is Evan. Just as a follow up to that. Can then we not basically instruct our own staff to do the electronic equivalent of a carbon copy of the original statement that we just file any time one of these comes up?

Okay. Here’s the template, cut paste, we’re done.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Well, Ariel is the person who deals with all of these things. I’m sure she was something in her bag of tricks that she can use to duplicate those ad infinite. But coming back to the queue, Alan Greenberg is next.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Yes, certainly we can use the same statement. If the wording of the vote we already took was not crystal clear, let’s do a consensus call at the next ALAC meeting to say it can be applied to all future ones if there are any more. I suspect that once these comments

---

finish, that if any future ones come in, they'll just be handled the normal [R-Sep] process, because once we've already determined for 150 TLDs, the next 1,000 shouldn't be any different.

So I'm guessing we may not see a continuous stream of comment periods, but just the normal [R-Sep] process. But regardless, a consensus call taking 30 seconds at the next meeting, will address the issue and take far less time than we're spending.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this Alan. Next is Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Alan, what requires a consensus call? I'm just a little puzzled. I mean, the ALAC has made a statement. The statement was, and the exact wording, is in the agenda, in the new gTLD namespace. Is there anything in any of the statements coming down after the fact that do not fall under that?

I'm just wondering why we need any further work on this?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm in the kitchen making a cup of coffee, so I don't have the statement in front of me. I prefixed it by saying, if the statement was not generic enough, than a consensus call can make it more generic.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Ah, okay. So just as a clarification, the immediately preceding things says, in the new gTLD namespace, which I think is sufficiently encompassing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then we don't need to do anything.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much gentlemen. It's always great to hear two Canadians come to an agreement. As far as we're all agreeing with each other. Great stuff.

Not just to come back to this. I'm glad to see that we've got agreement on that. Let's see how this goes. I think that the action item on this, which isn't really an action item. The instructions on this is that we will be drafting the same statement again for the second and the third public comments.

I do have a concern though, because we have had in the voting. We've had two things, people [inaudible]. One is Fatima Cambronero and one is Rafid Fatani. We happen to have Rafid on the call, and I'm sorry Rafid to be putting you on the spot. What was your concern, the need to abstain on the statement? Because we might end up with you abstaining on a whole lot of statements as well.

Don't know if Rafid is able to speak. It wasn't clear enough to you. Okay. I'll tell you what then, if you could work with Dev, perhaps because we have the chance to maybe clarify that statement a little bit.



---

If it needs clarification, then that will be upheld. Maybe give it a final [inaudible] or something. Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, thank you. I just wanted to make a comment. Evan said something to the effect, in the chat, I think Dev did a marvelous job. Not only did he end up crafting something which was acceptable to the majority of the ALAC, which I didn't think was going to happen to begin with, but he also, his concept and ideas also evolved based on the discussion.

So I think that, kudos to Dev. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thanks for this kudos Alan. And I agree with, absolutely with the show of force, [inaudible] as they say in French. Well done Dev on that. And we'll see, we'll work out with Fatima and with Rafid what might be the things that they were concerned about, so that maybe you have full acceptance during the next filing, which will happen soon.

Okay. Let's move on then. We need to go to the next part of our agenda, and that's the ATLAS 2 feedback and debrief. I invite you to the post-ATLAS 2 activities workspace, that's a, quite a longish workspace at the moment. A number of things are now taking place after the At Large summit.

Of course we've got the summer holiday period at the moment, which has slowed a few things down, and we haven't had very much follow up from any of our ALSs, but several things are currently in place. So first,

---

with regards to the thematic working groups. The extent of copy of the declaration itself with the Board, to the Board, to the SO and AC chairs, to sponsors as well. And we've also started a... It's not really an official public comment, but it's a request for anyone who has comments or concerns, or ideas to move and basically send us what we forget to think about, or other suggestions that we can be working on.

Because really, this whole ATLAS 2 is the beginning of a much wider At-Large process of improvement. So on the follow up with the Board, the feedback so far, from the Board, the informal feedback, has been that they're all looking at the recommendations, and they have been asking for more clarification on the targeting of those recommendations. Saying, "Are these recommendations for the Board? Are these recommendations for the ALAC?"

And I think one of the things that we are going to have to do in our follow up now, taking each recommendation as to actually maybe refine it or stand on some of them, or take it to action items. And those action items that relate to the Board will then have to be given in clear language to the Board, because they're just confused at the moment.

So that is the first step as far as the Board in concerned. As far as the SOs and ACs are concerned, I have received some, first always, public feedback from all of the SO and AC chairs. And also some questions and follow ups, from at least a couple of members supporting organization in the GNSO in particular. They've been very interested in this. The GAC has also picked this up.

---

GAC member has been given the task of going through these with a fine comb, and working on any follow up on some of the points that we make in there, especially follow ups with regards to languages, with regards to participation, with regards to bottom up policies, with this sort of stuff. They're only starting their process now, and it will be important for us to keep them updated of our process to refine our recommendations and put them and expand action items and so on.

As far as sponsors are concerned, there hasn't been any feedback yet, because I've just sent the declaration to them today for them. I've asked for two things. One, for them to find out if there are ways for them to work with us, for us to be able to achieve our goals. It's a very open-ended question, which effectively would mean that if we want to have more face-to-face meetings, or any of the other activities that we do, would they be able to sponsor us one way or the other.

That's a very open-ended question and it's a very, it was kept very broad on purpose. At the end of the message, I have asked though, whether it would be able to sustain us, or sponsor us, sorry, for a smaller event, much smaller event, and thus, of course, the ALAC, sorry, the Los Angeles meeting event that will take place, and hopefully we'll get the feedback on that.

And of course, I thank the sponsors for their help and their sponsorship of our community during the London event. And finally on the follow up from the public comment, the aim by putting in the Skype chat, where everybody was a bit concerned about what is that public comment all about. We're not aiming to change the ATLAS 2

---

declaration, or to change the way we think, or change the bottom up process that we've had here.

Quite the contrary, the public comment system here is not a public one, in other words, the email that we will send will go to a private address, which staff has asked us to. And we'll be able to have an idea of how this was received by the community, received by other parts of the community outside of the At Large community, and also whether we've actually missed anything from our declaration.

Are there any other avenues that we would like to develop or explore in moving forward from here? That's one thing. Let me just open the floor for questions or comments on this part, and then I'll move on to the working groups, the At Large summit working groups, and our next steps as well. Murray McKercher is first, and then we'll have Evan. Murray, you have the floor.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Thank you Olivier. It's Murray McKercher for the record. Just a quick comment, only because I'm not sure everyone else is on the same mailing list. There was a note from David Olive. It looked like, not a PR piece, a note from David Olive assessing ATLAS 2 and looking for the IGF [assemble]. Has everyone seen that? And I just wanted to mention that it was out there.

I think it arrived today, in my email box.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this Murray. I think, I'm just trying to think where David sent this out. Can I ask Heidi, perhaps, whether you are aware of the note that was sent out by David?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I'm going to see if I can post that... I'll just go ahead and post the entire message. It's a bit long. What I could do is just forward it to all of you. I'll just forward it to... Let's see.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If somebody is speaking, I know that there was a policy update which was sent out in the past 24 hours. And it's interesting, because the majority of that policy update is all about At Large activities, whilst there is very little to report for all of the other SOs and ACs.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I'm glad you noticed that, congratulations.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well done. Congratulations to whoever drafted this. Oh, congratulations to Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, to you for making it. But, so this is Heidi again. Olivier, how would you like me to make sure that everyone has seen this? Send it to the ExCom list, but we all have Murray and others, and Leon on the list?

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Send it to... Is it something that can be sent to the ALAC list? Or is it not to be [CROSSTALK]... we need to...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi. I'll go ahead and send it to ALAC Announce right now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks. All right, and thanks for pointing this out Murray. I don't think [CROSSTALK]...

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Sorry Olivier. I did post a link, I'm not sure if it's clickable, but I put it in the chat, which is the, I guess, online version of the document.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It is the policy update. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, that's fine then. Okay Heidi, that's the policy update. That has already been sent to the ALAC Announce list, I think. And yes it does have, ATLAS 2 declaration open to [inaudible], and then IGF 2014 [process]. And it's funny that it's under ALAC because there is not very much going on in ALAC this year, but there we are.

And indeed, everything else looks a little bit toned down. All right. Thanks for this. Next is Evan Leibovitch.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Oh, Olivier, I was just trying to clarify the kind of stuff I was talking about in the chat. I think there is a bit of a missed opportunity here. The way things were worded in saying, “Well, the ALAC has done this and we’re looking for feedback.” And I guess, from what I could gather, that the nature of the feedback that was gathered, I don’t think it was explained quite as well as you just did on this call.

I mean, if the idea was to try and get people to either be energized by it, to find people within the community who want to help us execute it, I’m all well and in favor of that. But it simply looked like, I mean, it looked like there were, it was like the template of a public comment period in saying, “Okay, we tossed something out, and now we’re submitting it for input.”

So it just seemed to be kind of out of that same template, even though to you and to us internally, it looks very different. I think we could have, maybe the word finesse isn’t right, but just the idea of, you know, taking the opportunity and saying, “Okay, it’s out there. We want to do something with it.” And something with it is not just getting people, you know, commenting on the document itself.

That’s really all I was trying to come up with in the chat you’re referring to.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this Evan. Heidi, maybe we can sort of try to work on a follow up or something, or maybe that page could be updated.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi. Do you wish to make an action item on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, let's make an action item on this. Heidi and Olivier to work on that public comment request page, and make it a little bit more enticing for the kind of feedback we're looking for. Solicit concrete feedback, there we go, excellent. Okay thanks very much for this. Any other comments or questions on this part?

So the next thing really that we're going to have now is a follow up, an organizational follow up. There is a call that will take place later this week, that's going to be a follow up with a working group, and with thematic group chairs. We sent an email out to all of the ATLAS 2 working groups and ATLAS 2 thematic group chairs to find out what could have been better.

How could things have been improved for their part of the work that they did? And this is all in order to be able to have lessons learned from ATLAS 2, helping out with the future ATLAS 3, when our successes, or even our failures are still around there, for us to be able to not make the same mistakes as we did this time around, and to have an improved process, and have an even more successful ATLAS 3.



---

So there is going to be a call later this week on how we can improve things. In the meantime, working group and thematic group chairs have to think, I think it's about 300 to 500 words, but some have submitted less than that, as to, just bullet points, as to what went well, what went less well, what didn't go well at all, how we can improve it, how should we be better next time, and how should we do it.

And then, of course, there is going to be a follow up on the declarations, and that's where the page that you currently see, the wiki page that we currently see, that's post ATLAS 2 implementation. Each one of the recommendations has got its own box, and the status and note. Sorry, I don't know if you hear that noise outside.

There is a further page with, pages and pages with each one of the recommendations, status and notes, and we will be effectively moving forward on this, and creating, I guess, a working group, a follow up working group on this. And I think that several of us have to be the shepherds of this improve this concept, because I can definitely see some of these points, some of these recommendations branching out into processes of their own.

I'm not going to look into any specific ones [inaudible], but if you look through them, you'll find that some of them are going to require a lot of work to implement, especially if we're going to have to put together a proposal that requires funding for it to be implemented. Or if we're going to have to basically choose the work of the Board, and come up with concrete proposals for the Board to then act on directly.

---

That's just a heads up of where we are going. Are there any other comments or suggestions on how we should follow up with this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, this is Evan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, Evan, please go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Just going specifically onto the components of at least part of the aftermath is happening, there has been quite a few people that have been joining challenges group, coming out of thematic group four and elsewhere. So I'm happy to report that we're going to practically be doubling the membership to the future challenges group.

And so I've already been talking to Jean-Jacques together with Holly and we're going to be meeting with that group fairly soon with the newly constituted membership.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's pretty exciting Evan. Thank you for this update. I very much like this. This sounds like a good, good follow up. I wonder actually if the other group, the other working groups, have also grown in size, or whether this should be a follow up with the other thematic groups to try and get more people to join At Large working groups. Who would have this information? Ariel, are you keeping track of it?

---

ARIEL LIANG:

Hello. This is Ariel for the record. Yes, I've been keeping track of subsequent requests to subscribe to working groups. The future challenges working group is one of the fastest growing ones, and another one is the technical issues working group. I can report back the number after the call. So based on the page history, I will be able to tell how many new members joined.

And the other groups have moderate growth, but mainly the technical issues and the future challenges have the greatest growth.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for this Ariel. Can I ask you to...? I know it's going to be more work, but I would like to try and find out, you know, in general, how many of our ALSs have actually started joining working groups and so on? The aim really is to try and get as many ALS representatives into our working groups now, because that's the first step for them to be a little bit more involved in how they work so far.

So maybe we can follow up after this call and in the next forthcoming weeks to see who has been a very, very active during ATLAS 2, but has not shown any follow up so far, possibly because it has been holiday time or something. And maybe personalize, the requests for them to try and get them involved, especially when we've seen that they were a key component of the working group when the work took place.

Let's move on. I realize the clock is ticking. Any other feedback on ATLAS 2? I don't see, yeah, Heidi. Action item, post that as to the leadership team, yes. Ariel to track post ATLAS 2 engagement of ALS representatives. And could I all ask you, since I know many of you were

---

working group chairs, vice-chairs, or reporters, to check, remember the people who were in your working group, in your thematic group, who were very active and find out if they're in a working group somewhere. Or maybe even dropping them an email and say, "Hey, why don't you join this working group or that one?"

Now, let's move on. Number six on our agenda, the initial review of the ICANN 51 At Large meeting [inaudible]. For this, we have a link to the LA meeting. That link is on your agenda page, and I'll hand the floor over to, well I don't really know who now. I'll hand the floor over to Heidi who will be able to hand the floor to whoever [inaudible]... Heidi Ullrich, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much Olivier. This is Heidi. So in this time, in going forward, the primary person dealing with the meeting schedule will be Gisella, because she has shown herself to be an exceptional meeting organizer. So Gisella, if you're able to, did you want to go ahead and start running the meeting page for Los Angeles?

Give her a moment to become unmuted. And just while she is doing that, just to let everyone know how the distribution of staff support, I will continue to do the ALAC and ALT meetings and agendas. Gisella will be the overall person dealing with these pages. She'll also be the lead for the working groups. So she's been reaching out to the working group chairs, and she'll be dealing with them for the agendas.

---

And then Silvia will do the same for the RALO, the various RALOs. So Gisella, are you able to talk a little bit about the meetings? Not sure if she's on the call. Okay. So I'll go ahead and take over for her this time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, I love when great plans work so well. Over to you Heidi, there you go.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, it might be that I failed to let her know about that, she was going to take the lead for this. But okay, actually, so apologies. My audio is not working. No problem Gisella, I'll go ahead and... So if you can all take a look. This is, the meeting page is now up, and if you can take a look at the meeting pages, you'll see that for the most part, the meetings are being slotted.

We begin with Sunday. I don't know, Olivier, did you want to go ahead a little bit and talk about the actual agendas? Or do you want to just talk about the schedules of the actual meeting right now?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well Heidi, it's Olivier speaking. You have eight minutes left in your 10 minutes, so you work out what you want to go through.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, then I will like to talk a little bit about, since we have the ALT, just talk about the Sunday and the Tuesday meetings. Did you want them to

---

be generally the same? If you take a look... Terri, if you could put the Sunday session in, please. Put that up on the screen. So you'll see that right now we have, this one was actually the meeting, the agenda from Singapore.

So if you could just tell me that this was, this is the overall agenda format that you would like to have in Los Angeles, then I can work on that and get back to you during the next, during the ALAC call or the next ALT call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Heidi. Olivier speaking. The floor is open. And I know that there have been concerns about how packed our agenda is, and now is the time for all of you to make your concerns known, and what should we not have on Sunday. Holly Raiche.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, just a thought. I would like to have more targeted meetings, a little bit longer with perhaps fewer people, so we're really getting to what they're doing. For instance, I would like to hear, maybe Julie hear from SSAC, as to particularly with the IANA stuff. Have Patrik come along. And I wouldn't mind having a good long discussion with GAC. I also don't know where you want to fit...

I will be spending all day Friday in the privacy proxy stuff. I don't know if anything is going to come out of this. I'm hoping there will be some good outcomes. And where does that fit in as well? So you know, I think there is a lot of stuff that we need to talk about, I just don't know

---

where it fits, because it's so packed, maybe we can all just look at the schedule in our time and then make suggestions so that by the time we have the full ALAC meeting, we can have suggestions on maybe how to restructure.

It would be really helpful. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this Holly. So a little feedback on how the Sunday works. In general, what we've tried to do on Sunday is to get anyone that would be unable to get during the week, or speak to during the week. And this is why we often get Sally Costerton, and the global communications team, and then we might get our At Large selected Board member as well, who is going to be busy with the Board for the rest of the week.

We've got the CFO, Chief Financial Officer, the ICANN strategy, Teresa Swineheart. And then we get Maguy as well because she's busy for the rest of the week. And then in the afternoon we often have some working groups, and we also have the SSAC, that are coming to us, Patrik Fälström and Jim Galvin. On that occasion, I think we've already got an action item for the Los Angeles meeting to have a longer meeting with the SSAC, that Heidi should have...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, and if I could just take that back Olivier. Did you want that to be 45 minutes or 60 minutes for SSAC?

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: Actually Julie will be the one, she has come up with a couple of things and they would have some comments on IANA. It would be interesting to hear Patrik talk not only about what they're doing, but the IANA stuff from Patrik's viewpoint, or from the SSAC's viewpoint, will be really interesting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It just happens that Julie has her hand up, so Julie you have the floor.

JULIE HAMMER: Thank you Olivier. Yes I was just going to say that I'm sure that Patrik would be more than happy to spend a bit of extra time going through some of the work that SSAC has been doing to support the community on the IANA transition, but I just suggest to Heidi to approach him early, before his schedule gets fully booked up with...

He is in very high demand, but I would think that there will be sufficient instances to warrant an hour, if you feel that that amount of time can be made available.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, this is Heidi. I'm happy to make that time available.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: All right, excellent. It's Olivier speaking. It looks like we're going to have more time available for the SSAC, and certainly we'll have that, part of that will be discussing the IANA stewardship transition issues. What we could do would be to have less people invited, and maybe we probably don't need to meet with the finance, the Chief Financial Officer.

We might wish to meet with Fadi in the morning. We might wish to meet with Sally Costerton as well. I'm not sure whether we need to meet with Duncan Burns as well, maybe we do.

HEIDI ULLRICH: How about meeting with Chris Gift? Because by that time, there will be some movement on the website.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Great, great, great, so let's do that then, yeah, Chris Gift, website.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So anyways, this is Heidi again. With Sally, I'm assuming you would like to have the entire team of vice presidents?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Correct, yes. And this time, we will be starting with [inaudible], and with the people with whom we haven't managed to speak to, or expand on, since we always start alphabetically, and unfortunately it's always

---

the same that we keep on gabbing away, but we don't actually have the [inaudible] at the.... It's always the same.

So let's make sure we get those people to speak this time around.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And then, did you wish to have some hot topics in the afternoon on Sunday?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's another possibility, yes. Having hot topics in the afternoon, maybe longer hot topics. I understand they worked very well in London, so having a longer session of hot topics rather than just jumping from one to the other. And I'll hand the floor over to Tijani Ben Jemaa now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. Tijani speaking. My remark doesn't concern Sunday only, it's about the full meeting. I think that for the coming few months, the most important subjects will be the IANA stewardship transition. And [inaudible]... I think that for the LA meeting we have to focus on those two subjects, focus on and discussing them among our communities, ALAC or [long time] or [inaudible] time, and also having interaction with the communities, the ICANN community [inaudible].

Especially, we have to meet, I think, with the coordination groups, the two coordination groups. And perhaps with other people. So I think that we don't have to list this opportunity of [inaudible] to have more

---

emphasis on the IANA functions stewardship transition, and the ICANN [inaudible]... Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks very much for this Tijani. It's Olivier speaking. So what we could have, for the Sunday, since we've already had Theresa Swineheart, and she is in charge of that process, stewardship transition process, for staff, we could have her invited on a Sunday. We could also have at least one of the hot topics on Sunday that would be dealing with IANA Stewardship transition.

On the Monday, I'm aware that there is going to be a topic, SO/AC [lag] topic, that will be taking place in the main hall, that will also be IANA stewardship transition. And the second topic will be accountability, because these are the two hot topics at the moment. These were the SO and AC wide. Of course, on the Sunday we will still have the discussion also with Patrik Fälström, who could remain for part of our hot topic discussion on IANA stewardship transition.

And then there is our IANA stewardship transition working group, to the IANA issues working group, sorry, that is going to have a session also some time during the week. I believe usually these are on the Wednesday, or the Tuesday. And Gisella will choose which one of the two days is best for that. And then I believe that there might be another public meeting discussion hot topic ICANN wide on the Thursday on IANA stewardship transition.

So there are a lot of topics there that we'll touch on, IANA stewardship transition. I gather many of us will be pretty sick about the stewardship

---

transition thing by the end of the week, hopefully. I see Holly Raiche, Maureen Hilyard, and Alan Greenberg. Let's start with Holly. Holly Raiche.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Just a couple of comments. What about, given that Dev has already said some time on the website would be good, it would be nice to have a session while we're all there, probably not Sunday, but maybe during the week. Or just going through and talking to Dev on what to do with the website. And my other suggestion is just a question, but the registration working group also has got some time, and I'm just wondering if that's the time to start talking about a general theme of registrant education, which will fit in with the Academy, and maybe Sandra would be interested.

But in various places, IRPTZ, the privacy proxy stuff, a lot of the issues are just about registrant education. I'm just wondering if it makes sense to bring some of that together under the registration data rubric or somewhere else. Even though it's not IANA, it's something that is just a drawing issue in terms of, or beginning to think registrant should actually know, or be able to find out stuff about what they need to know.

And the website, absolutely no help at all in that regard. So the issue really goes back to 2009 and also picks up with the registrants rights and responsibilities document, which also is not [inaudible]... starting some work on that, would be, I suppose, my next question.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this Holly. It's Olivier speaking. So certainly, the website, I expect that there will be anything of the group, and in fact, I think of all ALAC regarding the website, there should be a website discussion, and that could take place on the Tuesday, ALAC work part one. Heidi, you've put your hand up. Is that in response to this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, but I can certainly put that in there, Tuesday part one, okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So that's one thing. So we could either have it on there, or we could have it during our extended discussion with Chris Gift, on the Sunday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So we would not invite communications, we'd just invite Chris Gift, and then there would be maybe even an hour on that in the morning.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Hoping it's not going to bore everyone, but I think the website is important enough for all of us, because we are all the customers of that website, and we're all very unhappy customers. So I hope that's happened for you. Is that okay Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yup.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now with regards to the other point you've raised there, with the registrant education, certainly I would see the work of the working group meeting and discussing this, or do you want all of the ALAC to discuss this?

HOLLY RAICHE: So if we could start with the working group, that would be fine.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So all we need to do is to ask for time, and Gisella will put a slot for that working group.

HOLLY RAICHE: Gisella, may I please have some time?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Very good, that's recorded. And Gisella audio is not working, but I'm sure she is able to hear, hopefully she is able to hear. Next is, well, let me just go through the queue and then I'll go back to Heidi afterwards. Is that okay with you Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Maureen Hilyard, you're next.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Olivier. Maureen for the record. I've just thought about this time when we're prioritizing meetings and shifting things around. We usually have our ccNSO meeting pretty early in the week, and I just wanted to know if there was a recommendation about when you would prefer to have it? Like where is there a slot?

And also, just raising what Tijani [did], if we're looking at what kind, for what topics [inaudible], we do have sort of like a joint interest in the whole IANA issue, and so that would be something. I did post it to them a couple of weeks ago, but they haven't gotten back to me, so I just wondered if we got our suggestions in, that might be staff, for our meeting anyway. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much Maureen for this. I think that usually we meet with the ccNSO, and with all of the other communities, on the community day, or constituency day, which is on Tuesday. Heidi, will we be able to...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually, this is Heidi. Actually, there are going to be some changes to constituency day that I wanted to mention.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah, go ahead then.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So rather than just Tuesday, it's now going to be Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm just hearing about this today, and so I don't know the details about when the ccNSO meeting would be Maureen. But if I could just, while I have the floor, just note that Board support has offered the ALAC a slot of Wednesday, 8:45 to 9:45. So I'm just wondering if that would be okay with you?

Or did you want us to ask for us to go back to a Tuesday slot?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this Heidi. One thing from *Gone with the Wind* comes to mind at the moment.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Could you expand on that please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [CROSSTALK]... I think it was quite obvious.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I get it now, sorry. I get it. That famous line, I got it.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So effectively, you know, the whole point was that the Board has told us, “Why do we meet with you so early? We meet with you at 8:30 on Tuesday. Why is it so early?” And we’re like, “Well, we asked you about it.” So I’m glad they’ve now come up with a solution and meet with us at 8:45 on a Wednesday, what a bloody large difference that makes.

Oh, boy.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Holly, we’re talking about, for the Board with ALAC, it will be now Wednesday, 8:45 [inaudible]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There you go. So which ever, it doesn’t matter.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Frankly my dear...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Frankly my dear, let’s move on.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Olivier, just some other changes and some points here, if I could.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Monday is the gala this time. So the NARALO outreach event, which is the showcase, will be now Wednesday, and then Tuesday will be the music night on that. And then also talking about the GAC, we have had a nice note from the GAC support that they are asking us, well At Large staff support, when you would like to meet with the GAC.

And right now, their suggestion is Tuesday, 2:30 to three.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Wow.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Which [CROSSTALK]... Yeah, which is sort of right in the middle of the ALAC work part one and part two, but that would mean that you would need to get up and go to them.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That sounds like a good break for us.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So that's okay. We'll check this out. Okay, so those are the changes for the dates of Monday through Wednesday. Olivier, did you want to talk a little bit about what's planned for Thursday in terms of the agenda and Friday?

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I was first going to go to the queue of Alan and Tijani and then revert back to you. And I do realize you've gone way beyond the allocated time. And we have a lot of other things to cover. So Alan and Tijani and then back to you Heidi, and we'll have to move on.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, thank you. My time is almost up for this meeting. I originally put my hand up to support with Tijani said. I think the IANA transfer and perhaps more important, the transparency and accountability issue, is something that I really would want to see, not people coming in and talk to us, not Theresa and Patrik and whatever, but actual discussions among the ALAC.

They would have to be led by someone who is going to have to do some preparation. And I'm certainly willing to do some of that on accountability. But I would really like to see some opportunities for real discussion to and fro, disagreement, and trying to be able to formulate a position that ALAC can take. Regardless of what happens with these various processes people are designing, some day we're going to have to get off the pot and start coming up with, what do we do to fix ICANN on these issues?

And I think we should do that with the basis of some real discussion under our belt. And the Los Angeles meeting is the perfect time for that. So I would really like to see some substantial time, not for visitors to come in and talk at us, but for us to talk among ourselves. And like I said, those require, you know, work done in advance, you know, so that we have issues that people could think of before the meeting and such.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay Alan, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's all I had to say. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this. And I note from Holly that the future challenges working group will be certainly working on the accountability, the follow up. But yes, that's recorded. Next is Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. Tijani speaking. First of all, Wednesday was always the day of our working groups, our [inaudible]. So now it's come, this day we have to arrange our groups another way. Secondly, I do applaud the proposal of [the Board] at 8:45. [Inaudible]... it's almost time. And I think that it's better to meet with them first.

If we meet with them at the end of the day, perhaps the attention would not be the same, perhaps the result will not be the same. So, I prefer to meet them in the morning, and I think that quarter to nine is not too bad.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks Tijani. And that's noted as well. Back to you Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Just very quickly, this is Heidi. In terms of the agendas, Thursday the last item will be the chair's announcement, and that will invite Sebastien for a 45 minute session. That is meant to allow him to reflect on his time as the At Large Board member, selected by At Large.

And then on Friday, there will be 30 minutes with Rinalia, as the incoming Board member selected by At Large. So just two items there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this Heidi. And I also note that perhaps Xavier should meet with the RALO to discuss the FY 15 special requests, although they've all be refused. So I mean, does Xavier feel like being hit with tomatoes? Or that's that nice thing he would be hit with.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I can certainly ask and see [inaudible] on that. Just on the topic of the RALOs, the thought was to also ask the RALOs if they would like to have a breakfast meeting, a working meeting, with you Olivier, perhaps ALT, and also invite David Olive, because David rarely gets the chance to speak to the RALO leaders.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think that would be a good idea. I would just suggest, for the sake of having too many people on the table, I don't really know how many people we can fit in the room, if we are short of space, they would just

---

have to be the vice-chairs and the chair of the ALAC, and the RALO readers.

But if we have the space, then please, if we could have more people there.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So that might be Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on times.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well try and make it on the day that is not the day that we meet with the Board, so we don't need to run at 8:45.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So then it's Tuesday, okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, on Tuesday. Right, let's move on. Heidi, any more, we're going to have to go because we have a lot of things to cover here.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Nothing from my end.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks. Tijani Ben Jemaa, you're next.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you Olivier. I thought to ask Heidi, when her [inaudible], said that the GAC wants to meet with us from 2:30 to three, for 30 minutes. Is it right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. That is, right now, that is what we're hearing from the GAC staff support. Would you like me to go back and ask for more time?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I don't think that 30 minutes is enough for interaction with the GAC. I don't think so. It is my point of view.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Just also the item that they would like to discuss is the declaration as well, from the ATLAS 2. So did you want me to go back and ask for 60 minutes with them?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think so.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thanks for this point Tijani. Let's check what other topic we will be discussing with the GAC, if we were to have a longer time with the GAC. If we want to discuss the declaration, then 30 minutes, I would say, is enough. If there are points and things that we would want to bring to the GAC for their attention, then of course we would need more, we would definitely need more time with them. Tijani?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you Olivier. I think that we have always asked for an interaction with the GAC, and we always think that we need to have a good relationship with the GAC, and perhaps better interaction with them. So, they want to see us only to discuss the declaration, which is good, but we need to discuss with them other things, and we are always asking for it.

I will not prepare what we want to ask them, or what we would want to discuss with them before asking them about a longer time. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks Tijani. Next is Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi. Have we discussed the possibility of the liaison position? Because one of the things that was mentioned is the GNSO is considering a liaison to the GAC, is this an opportune time to talk about this? As potentially this, even the reason why we're being requested to meet with them. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Evan for this. And I think the answer to your question was given in the last ALAC call, where there was a suggestion about the liaison. This is not something which they are doing at the moment, they're doing a test liaison with the GNSO. And depending on how that works, they will then consider liaisons with other. And a liaison at the moment is a very touchy subject, because a GAC liaison is a slightly different type of...



---

As you know, some of the GAC work takes place behind closed doors, and so they would have to make special provisions for a liaison to remain in the room while this happens, and a whole number of complications and so on, which I don't think they're ready to engage in right now.

That said, the GAC chair is very active in the SO and AC chairs discussion. And so we certainly liaise at a chair level, quite extensively...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So you're saying this really isn't on the table for this particular meeting?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Not on the table, no. And I think it would probably be, it's not the thing that they want to talk about right now. They are going to engage more with other SOs and ACs by having these reverse liaisons that they call them. That's one of the follow ups to the ATRT 2 actually. But they're just going one step at a time.

And one of the things they're going forth with, to deal with the GNSO, and that's partly due to a historical bad relationship they had with some parts of the GNSO. And so they would like to try and enhance that relationship. It's therefore a purpose to start with.

Okay. Let's move on then to the next part of our agenda. Heidi your hand is still up, but I would like to get moving. We've really taking much more time...

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's an old hand. Sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. Next we have the ICANN 51 hub, which is an opportunity for At Large. We missed on this agenda item the last time it was on the agenda, because we had very little information about this. The idea is that ICANN is ready to fund up to 10 hubs that would be allocated around the world, that would be two-way remote participation hubs.

The same sort of hubs that you would find at the IGF, or that you find during the last couple of ICANN meetings where there were remote hubs during the Thursday session, Thursday's public session. The list of requirements for these hubs is pretty big, and that's why they're ready to fund up to a certain amount of money to reimburse them for the costs in serving these hubs.

The question I have for you all is, should we actively ask our ALSs to participate in this, and to try and apply for a hub? Or should we just pass this over to them and... The question is, should we get involved or should we just pass it on to our ALSs and see if any of them would apply on that?

On the one hand, I can see that it's a worthwhile thing to do. On the other hand, I have concerns that being directly associated with this, if hubs don't really work out, that would be not something that would play in the ALAC's favor. Hence the concern and the question for you all. Heidi, did you want to add a few more words explaining this, or...?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. In general, the idea was to... Originally, even in London, was to give the hub idea to the ALSs, but because of the ATLAS, and most ALS reps were there, they give it to another organization. So this time they're now offering it to the At Large structures. There are two kinds of hubs.

There are the two way listening as well as were they're able to actually talk. And those, there will be a limit of 10, and they will be reimbursed up to \$1,200 for them. The other type of hub is just listening only, and there will be an unlimited number of those. I don't know if there will be any kind of reimbursement for those. I have to double check on that. The deadline will be the 12<sup>th</sup> of September. And there will be some new technical requirements.

What we have posted right now on the website, it's on the workspace, are the technical requirements from London, but they're pretty much the same. There will be technical support available in French and in Spanish, as well as English. And there will be the IT staff supporting this, will be reaching out and working with the ALSs to ensure that everything is set prior to the LA meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much for this Heidi. Tijani Ben Jemaa, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. First of all, I would like to mention that for London meeting, [inaudible]... has to have [inaudible] so ALS [inaudible]...

---

Second point, we really need the whole [in the case of] the engagement of ICANN and help from [inaudible], because you know our ALSs are not very rich, and perhaps they don't have the means to, so the At Large supported.

But I think it is a good opportunity for our ALSs. First if we give them the ability, second it will be a good experience for them. Yes, full right, if there is a [inaudible] and our [favor], but we have to make [inaudible] before the meeting, [inaudible] before the meeting so that any problem can be solved before starting the meeting. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay, thanks very much for this Tijani. So what we'll do then, we'll just present this over the next ALAC call, which is at the end of this month, and then staff hopefully will have more information by then, and hopefully we can then send more, a fuller package to our ALSs by the ALAC Announce list, for them to, you know, to propose this.

Maybe we could even ask the RALOs to discuss those hubs, or to announce those hubs, during the RALO calls. So [inaudible] the RALO calls. Get them to speak to their ALSs, because we don't have many ALSs that attend the ALAC call, but we certainly have plenty of ALSs that attend the RALO calls.

So let's do this then. Staff to find out more information about these hubs, obviously, and then begin the cycle of including all of the announcements of all of these hubs in each of the RALO calls. And I note from Silvia, it says that this will be announced on the LACRALO monthly call. So great idea.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, this is Heidi. Just really quickly, in terms of technical specifications, you know, we... Would you want us to bring on IT staff on that? Because At Large staff support don't have the technical background on that. And really the technical document provides a lot of the information.

I've skimmed it, and it goes through details, you know, that I think would be, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, it's Olivier. The document... As long as the documents are there and are available, I would just ask that the documents might wish to be translated in Spanish, and in French, at least the two languages so that there would be at least understandable by some of our remote communities. And that's all. Beyond that, I don't think that you should be the front of this...

Because obviously, as you said, it's highly technical and we wouldn't be able to answer those questions. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just really quickly. It's a very long document. So I'm wondering if we put it onto a wiki that has a translation tool, I wonder if that would be a lot quicker. Because again, the deadline for this is going to be the 12<sup>th</sup> of September.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thanks for this Heidi. Problems, problems, always translation issues. Try it on the wiki, but I have a feeling that you're not going to get any applications from non-English speaking parts of the world, except those people that know what they're doing. It's pretty amazing to hear from you that ICANN has thought of something for remote hubs, and yet has not thought that it would need to be translated in other languages.

I must say. But there you go. Hear the tone of my voice on the transcript. [Cynical] Now, next, update on the transition of the US government's stewardship of the IANA function. Just a quick update on this. The ICG, the IANA Coordination Group, is actually having a call tomorrow, and everyone is invited to dial in and to listen to the discussions of the coordination group.

Are two of the [inaudible] Jean-Jacques Subrenat and Mohamed El Basher have been actively involved, and relaying the input and output back to our own IANA issues working group. We've had a few problems, first with the number of co-chairs that were going to be selected. It looks as if the group is now going to select its chair and a couple of vice-chairs, and Mohamed El Basher looks like to be one of the vice-chairs on that group.

I haven't been able to check the coordinating groups mailing list today to see if there were any more movement on that. But that's one issue that's gone by. The second issue is the charter of the working group itself. It looks as though the issues, the different models are going to be split into the protocols on one side, the numbers on the other, and the names on the other.

---

And each one going to their own operational community to come up with a proposal. There are concerns that this would mean At Large, so the ALAC, the SSAC, the GAC, would have absolutely no way of influencing the policy, or the documents that would be drafted. And so this is an ongoing matter.

As far as names are concerned, of course, the names would take place within ICANN, the discussion will take place during, in a cross-community working group on IANA stewardship transition. This cross-community working group's charter is currently finished. And Tijani Ben Jemaa has, was one of the people that was on that working group, on that charter drafting working group, has sent a preliminary copy to me and that will be sent, I think, to the ALAC sometime tomorrow for feedback.

And hopefully, we will have a cross-community working group on NTIA stewardship transition that will be formed in the next couple of weeks. I've spoken to Jonathan Robinson today, and he said two to three weeks should be the timescale that we're looking at, that will be operational. Now that's one thing, but I will only discuss the names side. To discuss the IP addresses and the protocol parameters, one would admittedly, appearing, would have to go and join the discussions that will take place to the IETF would within the IED, or within the regional Internet registries.

And at the moment, it even looks as though there is one discussion per regional Internet registries. So that would be five different discussions in the RIRs, one or two discussion in the IETF, plus the cross-community working group on IANA stewardship transition in ICANN. That's a heck

---

of a lot of threads to follow all in parallel. And frankly, I don't know how to be able to have as many, enough people for this.

Now the IANA issues working group, which is our own working group is meeting again on a conference call on Thursday. And we will try in the day is share the load among us, to go and monitor those different forums outside. Because at the moment, it's going to be very hard for one person to keep track of absolutely everything.

That said, we are trying to resist the fact that discussions will only take place in those forums. We're trying to get the charter to also allow for input from the GAC, the ALAC specifically. So that we could also bring forward our proposals into the final proposal that will be sent to the NCIA.

That's still in ongoing. And hopefully, tomorrow, we will hear a discussion about that charter. And we will use, I think we will use, Skype to try and support our two representatives, and feed them with information that they will need during the discussion. That's the report that I have on this. Tijani Ben Jemaa, you have a question or a comment.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Olivier. It's only a small comment. I sent the draft charter to the ALAC internal list, not only to you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Oh, okay, excellent. Thank you Tijani. So the draft charter is on the ALAC internal list. We have a couple of weeks to work on this, but let's



---

try and give some feedback as soon as possible over to Tijani in the next few days. So that we could have those incorporated in the next version of that charter.

I think we're pretty close to a finalized charter on this. There is real eagerness in the community to get that cross-community working group going. So as I said, GNSO is nothing like... They will be able to ratify this charter within the next three weeks or so. I'm hoping that if we can get a finalized charter by this ALAC call, we will be able to vote on it and ratify it during this ALAC call.

If we don't, we'll have to do it by using Big Pulse. Any other comments or questions on this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, this is Evan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I have to leave the call in a few minutes, but I just want to make this point, and I hate to toss this out and then leave. But I want to really give some serious thought to the possibility of At Large, together with some other interested communities, both inside and outside At Large and ICANN, debate this from the point of view of an end user centric position.

---

ICANN itself, as an entity, has a very, very serious vested interest in the outcomes of both the accountability issue and the IANA stewardship issue. And as such, having ICANN as having a big stake in the outcome, being the manager of this process, is having a very, very big, and at this point, I would say, detrimental effect on the way it's being designed.

I want to give serious consideration to the possibility of having some of the communities that are focused on specific end user and the bottom of the pyramid. And by that, I mean At Large, I mean the GAC, I mean the non-contracted half of the GNSO, and other advisory committees, might want to have some kind of a forum that is managed outside of ICANN to give feedback into this process, because I really think that the system is being designed to go to a pre-determined outcome.

And the more things go on, the more I have less confidence that it's going to turn out well in the way we would like. Thanks. And I'll just toss that out because it's a discussion that isn't going to finish on this call. I would just like to put the bug into people's ears to think about it, and perhaps we can take this up later. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for this Evan. On the transition of stewardship, I think ICANN is not the only culprit of this. It looks like there is a lot of, there are a lot of other parties that would prefer to see things all split rather than all this stuff under one roof.

All right. Let's move on, because we have a time limit on this call, and I know that some people might be dropping off. And we've got some important business at the end of this call. So let's go to the ICANN

---

accountability process. There is a link to the page that describes the current staff proposal on enhancing accountability, ICANN accountability, the whole process.

There is a proposed solution. This was all built from the inputs that were given, I think before the London meeting. So we have a process which includes an interesting infographic, which you'll find in the chat. I just put it in the chat now. And that infographic has got a view of what kind of groups are going to be created.

So an ICANN accountability and governance cross-community group on the one side. And an ICANN accountability and governance coordination group on the other. And an accountability and governance public experts group on the right hand side. The experts are to be appointed by the Board. The ICANN accountability and governance cross-community working group charter is to be drafted by the Board, apparently.

The ICANN accountability... Yes..

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: In the last version, the experts are not selected by the Board. The experts are selected by an academic community.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: By an academic community.

---

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: By four people respected academic people, I think that was something like the words...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And who are the people who selected them?

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: I don't know. They are supposed to be announced real soon.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I don't know who they are, but who selected them? The point is, okay, so the Board was supposed to select people and now the Board is not selecting anyone. Now we've got an accountability and governance public experts group, but it's formed by four respected individuals that are selected by no one, and that would appoint seven advisors.

So four respected individuals that are appointed by no one, appoint seven advisors. [CROSSTALK]...

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: ...it wasn't the Board.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Anyway, we've got the infographic in front of you. There is some serious push back in some parts of the GNSO, in many parts of the GNSO. There are some real concerns from the GAC as well on this whole process, because the GAC certainly sees some of the work that

---

takes place there as just as a way to release some of the pressures that takes place in the GAC and outside of the GAC, by governments try to pressure things one way or the other, and it seems that this whole structure is probably not the final structure that we're going to see.

And in the meantime, the time is ticking and we don't have an accountability process moving forward. I don't know if there is anything for us to do at this point in time. I think there probably isn't, and we just have to wait for things to move forward. What is likely to happen, and I have to advise you of this, is that the chairs of SOs and ACs had a call today, and the chair of, one of the chairs is going to be provided some text, which I will share with the ALC prior to signing, that will raise our real concerns about the top down nature of the current arrangement.

I don't have any further information on this, because I don't know what that content will be, but it will be happening soon. I would say within the next 48 hours or so, I'll be sending you this. So that's the update on the ICANN accountability process. And now we have number 10, the agenda items for the 26<sup>th</sup> of August ALAC meeting.

I would suggest that we go on this after this call, or maybe by email, because we need to reach the end of this call and the end of this call is going to go in camera, due to discussions of two things. We will be discussing the selection of the people that will go into the ICANN leadership training program.

As you know, we had a discussion last time during our last call, and there weren't a... I made a proposal on the ALAC mailing list, ALAC

---

internal and there was some feedback and a counter proposal from members. So I was going to touch on this. And the other thing is to do with the whole process of selection of chair and vice-chairs, etc., for the ALAC, which we have to start thinking about now.

So, with this, let's get the call in camera, which effectively means that we need to stop the recording.

Okay, thanks very much for this Terri. Now, we're back on record, and so the ALC had an in camera discussion that took a little longer than expected. We discussed the leadership training program selectee from At Large. And so the revised list is as follows. For AFRALO [inaudible], for APRALO, Siranush Vardanyan. For EURALO Jimmy [Shultz]. For LACRALO, Fatima Cambroner. And for NARALO, Alan Greenberg.

I must say the discussion on the candidates was pretty hard to deal with because we have so many good potential candidates for this leadership training program that I look forward to seeing them in Los Angeles, after the few days that they are going to all spend together, face to face. And being able to make use of all of the things that they've learned during that leadership training program.

The action item for this is for the names to be forwarded to Sandra [Hofreshter], who is in charge of the leadership training program. And for these to be the official ALAC selected selectees. The second discussion we had was on the naming, on the launch of the process for the ALAC chair and the ALAC leadership team. And so an announcement will be sent tomorrow to the ALAC list to launch the process for the ALAC chair and leadership training.

---

That's the end of our call. Are there any other business or any other things we need to talk about here? This is a long call today. Seeing no one having put their hand up, I thank everyone and I thank our staff very much as well. And so it's a good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and good night for me, a very late night. This call is now adjourned.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**