
GARTH BRUEN: If staff is ready, we can start the call and begin the recording. Thank you.

TERRI AGNEW: Certainly. We'll go ahead and begin today's meeting. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO Monthly Teleconference on Monday, 8th September 2014 at 19:00 UTC. On the call today we have Glenn McKnight, Tom Lowenhaupt, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Robert Castonguay, Garth Bruen, Allan Skuce, Evan Leibovitch, Alan Greenberg, Joly MacFie, Gordon Chillcott, Judith Hellerstein, Eduardo Diaz, Ogi Mitev and Louis Houle.

We have no apologies today. From staff, Heidi Ullrich will be joining us shortly. We have Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Kathy Schnitt and myself, Terri Agnew. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. This is the NARALO Monthly Call for September 2014. Glenn McKnight, Mr. Secretary, if you could read the AIs from the last time as Secretary, please?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much. The first Item, #2.1 is of all. Please welcome the new RALO ALS, the Online News Association. It looks like it's still an

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

outstanding issue. It says here, there's an update from [Silvia care of Nathalie 00:01:40]. Staff currently awaiting the regional advice as per the recent email sent to the Secretary. Secretary provided advice upon reception of the application form, but not the due diligence. It's only upon reception of the due diligence and after consultation with members that regional advice can be provided.

This can be an instance as decided during a NARALO monthly meeting. My response to that is I believe I did the due diligence, but I'll follow up with Nathalie. If it's still an outstanding issue I'll follow up with her.

#2.2 – Nathalie, again. The ALS RALO database has shown that the date of updating, please advise on status. That is status is completed. #2.3 – Nathalie again, to notify RALO Leaders and ALAC Members when the RALO ALS database is updated. Completed. #2.4 – staff, please advise on the status of the First Nations Mentoring Program. Garth, back to you. Did you want to respond to these Items?

GARTH BRUEN: If there isn't a response yet, we could do this after each one, if staff is prepared.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Heidi, #2.4, advice on the First Nations Mentoring Program?

SILVIA VIVANCO: For this AI I would like to wait for Heidi so she can give us an update.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Moving on, #2.5 – staff, please advise on the status of their quest to grant access to VIBUG for the development and testing of new ICANN web features for the visually impaired. Silvia, same thing? Okay, Garth, I'll proceed then. #2.6 – all potential ALS decertification pending. We have peoplewho.org and Web405. To the knowledge of the Chair they have not voted or participated in At-Large Summits. The Chair will conduct extensive [recovery 00:04:03] and collect regional consensus before proceeding.

Please alert the Secretary or staff if you have any knowledge or any communication with either of these two groups. There's an update here from Ariel. If NARALO wishes to decertify these two ALSes, we will need to put them on the former ALS Wiki space, which is there, and present the evidence of their inactivity. Their voting records should be good evidence. Garth, did you want to comment on that?

GARTH BRUEN:

Yes. We're not going to move forward just based on the voting records. We're going to actually try and reconnect with them, which is what we did with the other two decertification. We did make extensive efforts, which were documented. We went through the regional consensus on decertification. We want to make sure everything is fully documented before we move forward. We can go to the next AI.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. #2.7, staff, please check –

SILVIA VIVANCO: I just want to ask Garth to send us all the feedback on the documents to look up for any decertification. We can put it on the Wiki and the move forward.

GARTH BRUEN: Silvia, I'm sorry. The important piece of what you wanted on the Wiki was lost in the call.

SILVIA VIVANCO: If [potentially each 00:05:32] RALO was considered sufficient evidence to decertify an ALS, normally it's voting records or lack of voting. Whatever you consider, as NARALO, as sufficient, we can just put it on the website and take that as our evidence that the ALS needs to be decertified. That's all. We just need to put your input in the Wiki page.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: #2.7 – staff, please check on the request of Steve Crocker to invite Ken Harrenstien to present in LA, as per the At-Large Leadership Meeting back in the Buenos Aires meeting, as we mentioned in #4.1.5. Would you like to comment on that Silvia?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Sorry I'm late. If you could expand on that – what meeting was he supposed to be invited to, and for what purpose?

GARTH BRUEN: What we wanted to do – and we've been discussing this quite a bit in our Accessibility Working Group discussions – is that at each meeting we want to promote the presentation of disabled use of the Internet; how different groups overcome challenges in using the Internet. We've been trying to get blind user groups to give presentations, and we want also some hearing impaired or deaf groups to be able to give presentations as well.

We discussed with Steve Crocker in detail about his former co-worker, Ken Harrenstien, who was instrumental in creating the Internet as we know it. Ken happens to be completely deaf. I had asked Steve. Steve referred this to his Executive Assistant to contact Ken and invite him to present at the LA Meeting. This is what we've been trying to find out about. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Garth, do you know which meeting? Are you open to any meeting according to his schedule? Also, he's in LA, correct?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. That's why I was thinking the LA Meeting would be perfect, because he already lives there.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Would you want him to come to the Sunday session or are you open to any other session? For example, the NARALO Meeting?

GARTH BRUEN: It could be the NARALO Meeting. It could even be our outreach meeting. It might be interesting to have him in our outreach meeting. We've been trying to figure out what type of speakers we want at the outreach meeting. Of course, that has to be discussed with the Outreach Committee, which happened earlier today. The initial initiative was to make this an ICANN-wide event, so that the entire Community could be presented with the information of how disabled people use the Internet.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. I think the outreach event would be a good time to invite him to. I'll go ahead and follow up with Steve and his assistant, and get back to you then.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Moving quickly along, #2.8 – NARALO will be opening official communication with ARIN, per the request of the At-Large Board representatives. We may appoint someone from the region as an ARIN

Liaison. Please send your EOI to the Secretary. For the record, no one has contacted me on this, and I've also distributed these to the Fellowship Program that they're having for Baltimore, which is exactly the same time as the ICANN Meeting. Sarah has contacted me that she's submitted an EOI to go to that event, but not to be the Liaison. That still is open.

#2.9 – staff, Secretary, possible ALS duplication, Emerging Futures Network and [Youth Helping Youth] are sometimes treated as distinct groups, but they're the same organization. Check. #2.10 – staff and Secretary, please confirm the new ALS reps are added to the NARALO mailing list and Skype chat, and obviously connected on the Confluence. Updated. #2.11 – Evan and Judith to please confirm your completion of your CROPP applications. Judith, I know you've finished yours. Evan, what's the status on yours?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Mine's still pending.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. #2.12 – staff, please confirm the time and location of the alternative DNS discussion. Staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Could you expand on that one? I don't know if that AI is complete enough?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Garth?

GARTH BRUEN: The AIs that we're talking about – no, that AI is actually completed. We actually have all that information and the Agenda has been sent to staff and we have speakers lined up. That one's done.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. That is my AIs completed. Back to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. Before we begin with Agenda Item #3 I have a request from Alan Greenberg to speak on any Any Other Business Item early in the call. Alan, if you are ready I'll give you the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: I didn't say early in the call, but I'm happy to do it right now. We have a number of things that have cropped up over the last few months; minor changes that need to be made to the Rules of Procedure. I'm going to be busy drafting something. If anyone's aware of any other changes or needs that should be in the Rules, and particularly you may want to talk about the issue we talked about a little while ago on decertification – should there be any difference and do we need to clarify it to make this process easier, better, safer, whatever?

Just send me a private note and I'll try and pull everything together into an update to the Operating Principles. That's it.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. I will make that a part of the discussion for the in-person meeting in LA. We can give changes to the Rules of Procedure a little bit more discussion time, if that works out for you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Assuming my schedule allows it, sure.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Going onto Agenda Item #3 – updates to meetings and events. Obviously the next meeting coming up is the LA ICANN Meeting, October 12th-16th. We are getting the schedule going in bits and pieces. It's coming together and starting to be published. Staff, is the general Agenda for the meeting set and published yet?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, not yet, as far as I'm aware. I know that people are finalizing topics for the Monday session and I think after that point it will be posted.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. I've linked to the At-Large skeleton schedule, which is being added to as we speak. The first Item that is a Sub-Item is the NARALO showcase. This is also an outreach event. There was an outreach meeting earlier today that some of you attended. Glenn, would you be willing to speak about this, just give everybody an update on the meeting and the progress?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. We had our second meeting. We hope to have another as quickly as possible. We are only roughly a month away. We are looking at the event two-fold; one as a major networking opportunity, and second of all is to really showcase the new ALSes that have come on stream. Historically, a lot of the showcases have been longer speeches. We hope not to do that, and as it was brought up earlier today, the idea of Ken possibly as one of our speakers – again, I know it sounds contradictory, but we really do want to focus on showcasing what NARALO is and what NARALO has actually achieved.

That's the main idea. It will be Wednesday, roughly starting at 18:30 as normal. Contrary to what happened in San Francisco, no alcohol will be served before the speeches. We'll hopefully have a little audience during the event, but we have an issue still of raising enough funds, so that is always an issue in terms of sponsorship, but we're working on that. Olivier and I will be talking this week as well. That's it.

GARTH BRUEN: How much are we short on funding?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Right now, roughly \$4,500.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. That's how much we're short, not how much we have?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. We have roughly \$1,100 and that's from a contribution from ICANN.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. If anybody wants to be part of that fundraising effort you can talk to Glenn or Olivier. Okay. Next we have the monthly meeting, actually in-person, Wednesday 15th. I believe that is in the afternoon. Let me see. Is the NARALO session at 11:30? NARALO Monthly Meeting 11:30. Okay, great. As Alan mentioned, one of the Items will be changes to our Rules of Procedure. Think about those and forward them to Alan. If anybody else has any other items beyond what we usually go over, send them to me or to Glenn. Staff, when will we be doing the changing of the guard of NARALO Officers?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That normally takes place at the end of the wrap-up, when everything is official, on Thursday.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. So everybody's aware, what we'll be changing is Glenn is going to be exiting the Secretariat and he is going to become part of our At-Large Advisory with the ALAC. Evan is leaving the ALAC. He is term-limited, but he will be our new incoming Secretary, and Alan Greenberg is going to be continuing as an ALAC representative. I believe there will also be some other special announcement about his status there. We

have that all to look forward to. The next Item here, the At-Large outreach table. Glenn, do you want to talk about that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. If you recall back in Toronto, we had an outreach table that was just outside the ICANN village, to promote NARALO. It turned out to be promoting At-Large as a whole. Heidi confirmed today that it would be in the newcomers' area. We need only two volunteers per time slot. We have a Doodle set up. Very short times, particularly focused on the breaks, the lunch and the afternoon breaks, so that it's not a huge burden to people. We'll have literature and our banners at the location. Newcomers who are interested in learning more about ALAC, or anyone else that's from the ICANN [ecospace 00:18:30] can come and learn more about us.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Do we need volunteers to run the table at different times?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I do. Please contact me. I have a Doodle set up for the time slots, so please contact me for the suitable time.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Just a note, in terms of networking, if you don't actually have anything planned and you do want to meet people and make yourself available to meet people, being at the outreach table is actually a great way to do it – making yourself visible and giving people an opportunity to meet with

you. That's something that can be done at the outreach table, where you talk about what it is that we do as At-Large. Next Item – continuing the discussion on alternate DNS structures. This is a follow up to a session that we had in Singapore.

It was the first ever session, talking about things that are outside of the traditional DNS, outside of the structures that are governed by ICANN. Now, this involves a wide variety of innovative, sometimes constructive, sometimes destructive, sometimes completely healthy and other times extremely malicious, types of uses of the Internet itself. The questions are about how the community responds to these, whether or not they offer a benefit to users and consumers, whether they offer a benefit to business, to web developers, and what kind of policy exists within these structures, if any?

The handle of uses, to handle consumer disputes? I have reached out to two different groups, who are going to give us their perspective on a couple of different items. One group is called the Frogans, and .frogan is a brand new gTLD, and they claim that they have an extremely unique DNS use, and an extremely unique and innovative way that they're going to be using their gTLD. Their gTLD – I'm not going to get into too much detail – is not necessarily focused on selling domain names. The number of domain names within Frogans is actually going to be fairly limited, but they have some unique way that they're going to be using it.

The second speaker will be the CEO of com.com is involved in selling second-level TLDs. These are basically sub-domains of existing gTLD domains. These are a market alternative to branded domains and to country-code domains. You might see something within co.com, like

wine.co.com or something like that, as an offering. This has been for some people a source of frustration in terms of dealing with competitive issues, dealing with abuse issues. We want to understand what kind of policies they have and why they consider this to be a better alternative for consumers and businesses.

He's going to present those issues to the community. What this really is is an expansion left of the dot, instead of right of the dot. The new gTLD program is about expanding market availability on the right side of the dot. This is about expanding availability on the left side of the dot. I think it's important that we, as a community, understand all these issues and question them if there are problems, and understand how they handle problems.

That is going to be during the At-Large Policy Roundtable, and the second portion of the At-Large Policy Roundtable is, I believe, headed up by Holly from APRALO. I think she's going to be talking about proxy privacy, but I'll find out for sure. Next, pre-ICANN Academy Leadership. Do we have a tentative schedule for that? Are there people signed up for that? Are you still looking for people to sign up for that? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'm sorry Garth, I was responding to your question about what Holly is going to be speaking to. Can you repeat the question?

GARTH BRUEN: The question is about the LA Meeting Item, about the Leadership Academy; if you were still looking for people to sign up for that and if there was a tentative agenda set up for it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: We are not looking for people. The ALAC selected the people from NARALO. It's going to be Alan. There is a program that's already been established, and I can post that. I think it's on a Wiki page. I'll post that in just a moment. If I can respond to what Ogi is saying? He's asking what is the Leadership Academy. This is actually called the Leadership Training Program, and this is something that the At-Large Academy Working Group helped to develop. It's been in progress. They started working on it in about 2010. The first program was held very successfully last year in Buenos Aires at the AGM. This year it's the second year, and what that does is it invites members, either new or experienced leaders from all of the AC, SO and SGs to three days of training, prior to the start of the AGM of ICANN. It combines the facilitation skills training, which is presented by a team of outside consultants. Then the orientation is presented by the various AC/SO leaders. I think that's it Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: That makes a lot of sense. Does that answer your question Ogi? I think he typed into the chat that he said yes. I think these are great sessions that have been going on where people who are very interested in becoming leaders within the At-Large Community get to find out more about what it is that we do and how they can engage within the

environment. I'm typing something into the chat, in response to Joly, about alternate DNS. Yes, the sub domain structure and the varying use of existing gTLDs is not an alternate DNS. It's an alternate use.

This discussion is going to cover a lot of these different uses. Some of the alternate DNS structures I've looked at involve a crossover between what I guess is the ICANN-managed area and what is outside of their control. They use a hodgepodge of both. I know you're nitpicking the language, Joly, but I think it's important to point this out, because people are very confused about how the DNS works anyway, and then along comes this completely alternate structure and they almost have to re-educate themselves about what the Internet is.

I think it's important for the community to be aware of this and be ready for the different challenges that they present. Okay, back to the Agenda. We have a number of CROPP outreach suggestions now. There were some questions within the Action Item about submitting CROPP proposals. I'm sorry if I'm asking the question again. Did we respond to those questions about the CROPP applications, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Judith has submitted hers, but Evan says he hasn't done his yet, so he'll still be completing his.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I see that the CTIA and Telco Big Data, not enough time to apply. Those are even starting this week. Consumer Electronics Show is the one that Evan... NTEN, submitted by Glenn. South by Southwest

submitted by Judith. These are the ones we were discussing. There's going to be a Secretariat Teleconference tomorrow. This is for the leadership of different regions to discuss the agenda that's going to be at the in-person Secretariats' Meeting, the leadership meeting, in LA.

If anybody has any suggestions from the region or issues that they want Glenn or I to present at this meeting, please let us know and we'll be happy to include them in the discussion. That would be great. Does anyone else have anything they want to discuss in terms of upcoming meetings before I close this Item?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

if all three are accepted, we still have two spots that we still have available. If any of the membership here has items they'd like to attend, bear in mind that we've got to have an eight-week turnaround time.

GARTH BRUEN:

I'll add that also as an Action Item for discussion, in-person at the LA Meeting. We can have a little bull session, maybe about what type of meetings to target, especially in terms of our outreach goals. That would be great. Okay, communication and outreach strategy. Now, within the AIs I was asking about access to ICANN's development and testing area for VIBUG. The discussion of that started in London when we were presented with upcoming or pending changes in testing of the online ICANN environment, in order to make it more accessible to the visually impaired.

One of the critiques that I had brought up during that session was that a consulting group would be doing this work, and what really needed to be done was to actually have visually impaired people testing the environment, and involved in the development. What I got was a promise in that meeting, in the recorded session, that our community groups would be provided access to this. What I've done is I've submitted an actual request on behalf of one of our ALSes, to get access to that.

Obviously, once the group gets engaged they'll be engaged and they'll be dealing with the details. What I'm doing as Chair of NARALO is facilitating their engagement. I want to make sure they get everything that they need and that ICANN is working collaboratively with them. We want to make sure that that's going on. That's what I've been pressing for. I'm supposed to be meeting with them on Saturday, and hopefully I'll be able to discuss this with them in more detail. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. I can follow up with Chris Gift on that. I have the staff person who I'm supposed to contact. I'll be doing that today. I don't think it will be a problem for them to get access.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much. I just want to make sure that I get whatever information they get, so I can assist them in this and make sure everything's working the way it's supposed to. I'm going to be continuing to track this throughout its life cycle. Thank you very much. Just to refresh what we had talked about before, #4.1.3, we want to plan

out a presentation on disabled-friendly technology keynotes at ICANN meetings.

One of the things that came out of our first Accessibility meetings, before the Working Group was even a real Working Group, was we wanted this to be a Community-wide – when I say community I mean a big “C”, the entire ICANN Community, not just At-Large – needs to be aware of the needs of the disabled community. That’s why I’ve been stressing that these be keynotes at the big “M” Meeting level. We’ve also been pressing that we get some visually impaired staff or hearing impaired staff to work with these different communities. You also see noted in there the recall again for Ken Harrenstien to be involved, and why. There are details there about that.

Moving on, #4.2 – automation of the ALS application. This is something we need to get back into the agenda, and we can probably spend some time working on that in LA. I believe that when we discussed this before, Matt Ashtiani was helping me, and I think that responsibility had shifted over to Ariel. If I’m mistaken about that and have the wrong person, let me know. If it’s not Ariel who I should be coordinating with, let me know. I’ll reach out to Ariel. I believe I have an old email here from her about that.

Just a note about aligning CROPP, trips with outreach goals should be outreach geared towards recruiting new ALSes. Of course, we have an outreach recruitment queue, where potential groups can be submitted and everyone can track the status of different applications. If Tom Lowenhaupt is on the call, do you have any comments about your ongoing work within creating a municipal TLD group?

TOM LOWENHAUPT:

I have been working on this, as I've mentioned for a while. As part of it, I've got a spreadsheet on all the 2012 ccTLD applicants, which I'll share with the group some time shortly. As well, during the [GNO 00:34:43] New TLD Discussion Group, [they've] submitted a paper there on something called "informed consent", trying to get through that cities can benefit from understanding what a TLD can do for that operation. As part of this, I think the At-Large Structures, as part of this informed consent and awareness of what they can do [unclear 00:35:05] part of that.

I've begun to reach out to the various cities on some type of organization arrangement [unclear] find that my current status... I'm trying to clarify my current status as regard to the city of New York. I'm trying to focus on the City Government-controlled TLDs as an initial step. I'm trying to get a clarification from City Government in terms of credentials [unclear 00:35:37]. I'll be happy to keep you up-to-date on this. I'm creating some type of public page where people will be able to contribute.

Where cities such as Toronto and Montreal, Pittsburg and Detroit are all indicating an interest in one way or another for new TLDs at this point, I'm wondering if there are any people within the ALAC or At-Large Structures who [unclear 00:36:05] welcome [unclear] in that regard.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay Tom. Thank you very much for that update, and we look forward to the work you're doing there. Okay, are there any other outreach

items to discuss before I close this Agenda Item? None? Okay. Moving onto our community. Now, initially we had scheduled the NARALO spotlight with Sarah from [Youth Helping Youth]. Unfortunately she had to cancel because of a family issue. We wish her the best and we'll have to reschedule her presentation. In the meantime I want to put out there something that we've discussed before, and this is the issue of sharing out some of the leadership roles, responsibilities and also meeting attendance.

I've offered, as the Chair, to split up some of the travel funding for different meetings, and allow someone else from within the region to be able to attend the meetings as a Substitute Chair or Vice Chair. Part of the reason that I'm doing this is because I believe that in order to become a leader you have to have some experience at being a leader. I don't think anybody really understands what this job, or any of the other officer jobs within At-Large entail until you actually do it. I think people will get excited about running for a position, and they may not always actually understand or anticipate what it's going to take.

It's also an opportunity for somebody to try something else, try something out before they do it. It's also an opportunity for people within the region to get access to resources they might not normally have access to. I'm perfectly comfortable with sharing portions of not only the meeting attendance, but also the work in general. Whoever gets to go to the meeting as a Vice Chair, as a stand-in, you're also going to have to do some work, obviously.

I've put out a call for volunteers for this trial Vice Chair that we're going to do this year. I've received one Statement of Interest and I'll certainly

be looking out for any other SOIs. If anybody wants to discuss that with me, either offline or online, you're certainly welcome. I see Alan has his hand up. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Something to think about. The actual workload for Chair and Secretariat at an ICANN Meeting are not all that heavy. They're there, as I understand it, primarily to discuss and represent the RALO. I think we need to think carefully about someone slipping into the position temporarily is really in a position to do that well, and the converse of that is the really heavy work for our RALO Chair, as I see it, is the work that's done between the meetings and preparation in running the monthly meetings.

That's probably a better place to get a Vice Chair involved and active and take over responsibility. I know travel is an interesting part of this whole business, but I'm just wondering, is that the best place to have the training program, as it were?

GARTH BRUEN:

I completely agree with you, and let me clarify what I mean when I say they're going to have to do some work. I would also anticipate that this person would have to run some teleconferences, and they'd also have to demonstrate to the region that they're willing to lead some sort of effort. That could mean that they run a Working Group. That could mean that they are engaged in some sort of initiative. That's definitely the part of this. I'm not talking about just handing this out willy-nilly.

What I'm looking for and what I'm trying to bring up are people who are seriously engaged, and give them an opportunity and give them a chance to be a leader, in person, at the meetings as well, and to be able to experience this full-on. Yes – teleconferences, other work, different types of details in terms of the Chair's responsibilities, as well as representing the region at an ICANN Meeting. Thank you for bringing that up. Okay. You can send me your SOIs or you can state them here. Either one, doesn't matter. I will accept them. I already have one SOI.

Next Item, #5.2 – election report is pending. I'm still working on that. I'm still communicating with a couple of people and getting some more details about the last election before I release that report. Next, Agenda Item #6, Committee and Working Group activity. Do we have Louie on the call for the NomCom report?

LOUIS HOULE:

Yes. We had a meeting late in August and I'd like to point out a few things. First of all, the evaluation of the team, the 2014 NomCom Leadership Team, and all of the NomCom Members on the Committee, there has been some discussion on going public with the information. It looks like the Leadership Team can go public, but for the NomCom Members we've been discussing the fact that for many Members of the Committee there was no interest in going public with that. This being said, if you want to know for your candidate, me, I would be glad to send you the information.

We've been evaluated on a scale of one to five. I guess that I've been doing a fair job, according to the note that they gave me. The other

thing I'd like to point out is the [BWG 00:43:23] NomCom Report, that's been proposing some changes to the NomCom. There will be a public session during LA 51 and I really encourage you to be there. That public discussion will have to discuss the extension of the NomCom that we've increased to 27 Members, by increasing the representation of both ASO and ccNSO from one to five individuals, to include the regional representation.

By doing this though, gNSO representation would be from five to four. GAC representation would be from one to three. That information I can send you the link for, if you want to see the Report that will be discussed in LA. Maybe some of you have already seen that Report. I'll be glad to send you the hyperlink to read it. That's more or less the major points that I had to mention. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Louie. Just so everybody's aware, the NomCom selects different leadership positions, including ICANN's Board of Directors replacements for the Board.

LOUIE HOULE:

Yes. You know that there has been an election, and it's approved by the ICANN right now. This information is public now. You all received that information. Do you want me to send it to you?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes please. What selections have been made? I know that the ALAC selections were released recently. What other types of selections have been announced?

LOUIE HOULE: The elections of the new Board Members. You didn't see that?

GARTH BRUEN: No, I haven't seen that yet.

LOUIE HOULE: Okay, I will send it to everyone.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Much appreciated. Moving on, there's been a lot of discussion certainly about accountability and transparency, pending the stewardship. Would Olivier or anybody else like to discuss any ongoing issues with this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, this is a pretty broad issue you're talking about. It's easy to say, "Are there any issues?" To a certain extent, the issue of the transfer of IANA oversight and the issue of ICANN accountability are themselves very massive, overarching themes that have a whole bunch of things between them, and multiple Working Groups between At-Large and the community as a whole that are addressing these. You're asking a really broad question.

GARTH BRUEN: I'm sorry Evan. Let me clarify. Within the Agenda we have "Committee Working Group activity". The previous Working Group in this area was the ATRT 2. I guess I was asking about the actual Working Groups that were part of the new transparency effort that I know has been going on. I believe Olivier has been involved in that, if I'm not mistaken.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier has been involved in some. I've been involved in some. Alan was also a Member of the original ATRT 2 and is able to talk. I can speak about my side of it. Within At-Large there has been two components that have basically been dealt with separately – one of which is dealing specifically with the transition of the IANA stewardship. That has some very specific components to it. At-Large has assigned two people to represent our community on a cross-community working group created for that purpose.

I believe Jean-Jacques Subrenat and Mohamed El Bashir have been appointed to represent the At-Large community on that group. There is a larger issue to do with overall accountability of ICANN. That has been addressed. At the Summit it was addressed in Thematic Group #4, which was specifically created to address that, and anybody that was part of this call that was at London and part of TG4 was involved in that. The work of that group is transitioning into an existing At-Large Working Group called Future Challenges.

That is a very high-level think tank Working Group that was created to address any one of a number of issues and right now it is focusing on

ICANN accountability. I'm Co-Chair of that Working Group. I invite anybody who's interested to get involved. We've already had our first conference call. We're going to be following up. At the suggestion of a couple of people, first by Alan, and was agreed to by a lot of the group, essentially accountability itself is a result, but the core issue, we believe, is one of trust in ICANN.

Accountability is something that contributes to trust but it's not the only part of it. Given the high-level perspective that the Future Challenges Group takes, we're examining the concept of trust in ICANN. Accountability is a factor in that, and moving forward accordingly. I don't know if that totally answers your question. There are other people on the call that might be able to help flush this out, but those are the two direction that I can summarize have been dealt with.

GARTH BRUEN:

That's what I was looking for and I should have clarified from the beginning. We can probably then combine these two different items in the list – the Future Challenges Working Group and those transparency efforts. Is that what you're saying Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

The thing is, I really grotesquely summarized things, because I think right now there is actually three or four different groups, between the cross-community groups, the At-Large groups, there's a liaison between the At-Large and the NCSG, so there's all sorts of things. Olivier drew this flowchart that is staggering in the number of different bubbles and

arrows that exist. It tries to explain the level of community work going on right now.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. Did you have any separate items underneath Future Challenges Working Group?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Simply an invitation that anybody who's heard the description so far and is interested, please contact myself or At-Large staff and get involved in it.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Evan, while I've got you, you were part of the panel on the original alternate DNS discussion. Would you like to be on the panel for this one?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes. I don't know if it's quite going in the direction that... The original one is in the direction you're considering now. I'm happy to participate. My function so far has been, I guess, in one of the resident cynics and the value of the gTLD expansion program, looking at other ways to do things. A lot of the alternatives that I've been looking at have not really been changes to the DNS but changes to public interface to it. If you think of a memorable domain name as one interface— think of cocacola.com or cocacola.us or whatever, as a memorable domain name.

Things like QR codes and URL shorteners and so on, they still make use of the DNS, they just interface the public. They interface you to it in a different way. A memorable domain name is one thing. Using a QR code that takes you to some machine-readable gobbledy-gook of a domain name, but that eventually gets you to your destination, is another way of doing it. They all still use the DNS. They're not alternatives to the DNS, but the concept of the memorable domain name – that is what a lot of the TLDs are staking themselves out on, has a lot of alternatives. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yes. Certainly that's part of the discussion too. I'm trying to reach out to the full field of people who are thinking differently about the DNS. These are the speakers that I was able to round up. It's difficult to get anybody to go on the record that runs an alternate root – I can tell you that. At least, it's difficult to get anybody that runs an alternate root to show up at an ICANN meeting to talk about what they do, but who knows? Maybe as we keep doing this and keep the discussion going, they'll be more willing to participate in the discussion. Great.

Okay. Do we have any reports from our CROPP representatives?
Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Garth, I'm sorry to barge into the conversation. My hand has been up for a while but I know that connectivity has been pretty poor here, so I don't know whether you can see it on your screen?

GARTH BRUEN: I apologize. I see it now. Go ahead Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. I was just going to add a few words to what Evan has mentioned earlier. There is no #6.2 in the Agenda, but I note that #6.3 says, “Accountability and Transparency Review Team Report.” The follow up on this is that the Board has voted for this Report to be implemented, and for all the recommendations to be implemented. This week I was at the IGF in Istanbul. I’ve just come back today. I had daily meetings with several Board Members, and also breakfast with Steve Crocker and with various people that are involved on the staff side for the implementation of these recommendations.

What I have asked repeatedly now is for a calendar, a schedule, for implementation. The Board is now having a retreat this week. The retreat started today and will end in a few days’ time. I believe one of the topics during the retreat will be the discussion of a calendar for implementation. It is of a very high priority that this accountability thread proceeds forward. Some people are insisting – by some people I mean some people in some of the ICANN SOs – that the transition of NTIA stewardship should be closely linked with the accountability thread of ICANN.

Others are pushing back, saying that the accountability thread of ICANN is so large, because it has on the one hand all of the Accountability and Transparency Review Team Report to implement, plus a Cross-Community Working Group on Accountability that is going to work on a

very large number of things – probably wider topics than the ATRT itself, plus of course this Coordination Group on Accountability. I hope you have the access to this webpage.

There's a webpage somewhere that has a proposal on how all of the different Working Groups will work together, and the staff proposal, as far as accountability is concerned. This is now still under discussion, and one of the things that has happened in Istanbul is that on Friday a new public comment period has opened. I notice it's not in our calendar unfortunately, but there's a new public comment period that's basically asking for input for the next 21 days, on the staff proposal for the Accountability Working Group and the Cross-Community Accountability Working Group.

You are encouraged to comment. The ALAC has made two comments so far, which were used straight into the discussions that we had this week at the IGF. There might be more comments that our community might wish to file. I invite you all to look at this. We are just at the very beginning of the accountability thread. I call it that because, as Evan very rightly said, there are so many parallel things going on. It looks as though the work will start very soon.

Finally – and I realize I've been speaking for a while – we are going to select one person to go on that Accountability Coordinating Committee. There is a Selection Committee that has been made up for this, and last week the Selection Committee asked for EOIs to be filed. I understand the deadline was last night, and so this week this Selection Committee should have a call and should be having full view of all of the EOIs, etcetera. Unfortunately I haven't coordinated with the staff yet.

I believe that the call and everything is already ready to go, and I hope that that is the case, since we haven't got much time. We need to have made a selection by the 15th of September, I believe, or 15th closest. We probably may be a few days late on this. That's all. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Alan, do you have a comment on the accountability stuff or something else? Otherwise we'll go to Allan Skuce.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, I do have one quick comment. Olivier said that this new accountability group or groups will have a lot of things on their plate. The other half of that, or the other side of that is Larry Strickland had an interview or meeting in Istanbul, that he expects the Accountability Group to be focusing very much on issues directly related to IANA accountability, because he wants both of those delivered at the same time. It's not quite clear where this group is going, and of course there are people in the IANA Transition Group who say that ICANN should not necessarily be part of the answer. It's going to be interesting.

GARTH BRUEN: Wonderful. Sounds like it will be lively. Allan Skuce, CROPP Reports, thank you.

ALLAN SKUCE: We have one application from Glenn that's been fully approved and is getting ready to be moved onto the VP in our area. I've seen evidence

that the second one is there but I haven't received a copy of it yet. I understand Evan is planning on using the third one, which leaves two more that we can use before the end of next fiscal year. That's basically my report.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. Finance and Budget Sub-Committee? No? Okay. Privacy and Proxy Services, we will hear from Holly about that in Los Angeles. Is anybody on that Working Group who wishes to speak? No? Okay. The Board Member selection process, we already talked to Louie about how the Board Members have been released by the NomCom, so we'll check that out. Then the Accessibility Working Group. Glenn or Judith or anyone else, do you wish to comment about the Accessibility Working Group?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

We just had, today, a very good joint call between the Accessibility Working Group and the Technology Taskforce, where we tested out two different captioning systems. We had a very good presentation from a company called Caption First. They demonstrated the Adobe Connect Pod, and then another pod caption stream that they produce. We had a variety of people from ICANN staff, including some of the ICANN IT people. We tested them in different languages.

You could have it being captioned in real-time in English, and then either machine-translated into different languages, or if you had a separate machine, a separate live-captioner, they could be tied to the Spanish or the French channel and captioning them, and you could see them all on

the screen. It's a very good call. I would listen to it. Very interesting. We had a lot of comments. It seems people prefer the caption stream pod, because of the styles and the way it looks, and the different abilities you can have. If that's a very short talk on it, it doesn't seem to be that expensive.

We'll get you a formal report, but they were quoting a price of \$130 an hour – more per hour if for Spanish translation, which I think was \$165 per hour. All in all, I think it was an excellent call and hopefully we can move forward on this and maybe get captioning used on more calls in the future.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Judith. That is wonderful news. I like the sound of that. That is great. Glenn, any other items to discuss about the Accessibility Committee?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. I'd like to mention that I've spent a lot of time finding these people and getting them organized. What we did is we did a pre-test with Nathalie the week before, and with the staff. We made sure all the bugs were not in the works. It worked really well. We had an Accessibility call last month, and we'll be having a face-to-face meeting in LA. If there are any burning issues that you would like to bring up, please get it to us. Joly is also on the Working Group too.

GARTH BRUEN: Wonderful. Great news. Moving onto ALAC issues. There's a bunch of recently adopted ALAC statements, but I want to give the floor to anyone from ALAC who wishes to speak, in order, starting with Olivier. Olivier, do you have any ALAC items you wish to cover?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Garth. Apart from what I mentioned regarding the accountability track, there are no other specific ALAC threads that come to mind at this very moment. Just one thing I could mention was with regards to Alan Greenberg. I have sent an email to the ALAC list, nominating Alan Greenberg for Chair for next year. It's important that your region is aware of that, since Alan comes from your region. So far there haven't been any other nominations for anyone else, so you can make your deductions from that. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Great. Evan, any ALAC news?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Not over and above what I've already mentioned. There is the Future Challenges stuff, the New gTLD Working Group is also going to be meeting in the near future to discuss the recent public comment process that we had on public interest commitments.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Eduardo, any ALAC items? Eduardo, I see that underneath the Agenda there is, "Board Working Group Report on NomCom,

Eduardo Diaz drafting a statement.” If you’re unable to speak, that’s fine. We’ll look for that information later. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. The only thing that comes to mind is there’s a new gNSO Discussion Group, and note that’s an expression that’s not normally used. It’s definitely not a Working Group, it’s not a PDP, but a Discussion Group to try to identify issues that might need policy development for any future gTLD round. The group is collecting things that didn’t work well, weren’t addressed properly, may need policy development in the future, and I’m one of the people on that group.

Anyone’s willing to join the group, if they want to participate on a regular basis. Short of that, let me or Tijani – who’s one of the other Members of the group – know, and we’ll include it in our list. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much. I’m going to turn the call over to Any Other Business and open the floor up to anybody else who wants to speak about anything. Does anybody want to speak about anything or share any news with us?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I came in late so I didn’t have a chance to reply about the AI regarding the Mentoring Program. I can take one minute to do that. This past year there was a Pilot Mentoring Program for ICANN and Anthony Niiganni was the representative from NARALO. He represented the

indigenous population from NARALO. Unfortunately the Pilot is not going to continue this current fiscal year, but there are two options.

The first one is that NARALO or ALAC put in a special budget request for next year, for the continuation of that Program, at least for At-Large. The second option is that NARALO put in a request for an additional slot to go to ICANN meetings for indigenous people.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Heidi. We appreciate that. We're definitely interested in either one of those options. We'll be discussing that. We'll put that as an Action Item for the next meeting when we meet in LA. Joly, you have your hand up?

JOLY MACFIE: I did mention in the chat earlier, but I'm working on doing a remote hub for ICANN 51 in New York, in conjunction with GovLab. It's someone I've wanted to get. We've never worked on an event together before, so I'm looking forward to that.

GARTH BRUEN: That's wonderful news. This sounds like it's more about you just being able to access the meeting? It's more about a higher level of participation remotely I would imagine, right Joly?

JOLY MACFIE: With a remote hub you are actually a participant for the two-way participant, and you're a group and it's as we've seen at Net Mundial and things like that. They're only doing that on October 16th, both ISOC and ICANN have offered to put in some resources [unclear 01:09:22]. GovLab have just moved to expansive premises in Brooklyn, from their former location where they were [unclear 01:09:30] corridors at NYU. They have a new facility, so it's interesting. There's a very high-level of people there.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. That's great news. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much Joly for reminding me. The deadline for ALSes to apply as a hub for ICANN 51 is the 12th of September. I know a few of you have already applied, and thank you very much. If you are able to do that and are selected and can meet technical requirements, ICANN will reimburse you up to \$1,200 to serve as a hub on the 16th of October. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: That's good news. Is there documentation about that anywhere Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Silvia, could you please put that page in the chat; about technical requirements? Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I guess Silvia's going to put that in the chat and we'll have that documented. If that's all then I'll close this call. We'll see you all next month, either in-person or online in LA. Thank you very much everybody.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]