

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. This is the NARALO Monthly Teleconference on Monday, 11<sup>th</sup> of August 2014 at 19:00 UTC. On the call today we have Glenn McKnight, Sarah Alkire, Gordon Chillcott, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, John Laprise, Eduardo Diaz, Garth Bruen, Allan Skuce, Louis Houle, Jim Ausman, Judith Hellerstein, Konstantin Kalaitzidis, Alan Greenberg, Joly MacFie and Seth Reiss.

We have no apologies. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe Carapano and myself, Terri Agnew. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Terri. There are no apologies. Never apologize. Just kidding. Welcome all to the August NARALO teleconference. If the Secretary could be so kind to review the Action Items?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We have 11 Items on our list today, starting off with 2.1 – staff, please advise on the status of the ALS application of Online News Association. Second Item, 2.2, for Nathalie. The ALS RALO database is to show the date of updating. Please advise on the status. 2.3 again for Nathalie, to notify RALO leaders and ALAC Members when the RALO ALS database is updated. 2.4 – staff advise on the status for Garth Graham on his travel reimbursement.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

2.5 – please advise on the status of Robert Castonguay, ISOC Quebec, on his travel reimbursement. 2.6 – staff, we’ve also requested that [CT 00:02:10] remove the [onsite] during the meeting. This option should only be used if you do not have any bank account option from the travel support form, as this has caused confusion.

2.7 – all potential ALS decertifications pending: Peoplewho.org and Web405. To the knowledge of the Chair they have not voted or participated at any At-Large Summits or calls. The Chair will conduct extensive outreach and collect regional consensus before proceeding to the next step. Please alert the Secretary or staff if you have any knowledge or communication with either of these two groups.

2.8 – staff, please report to the Chair and Secretary on the official voting history and call attendance of each of these organizations. 2.9 – staff, please check on the request to Steve Crocker, inviting Ken Harrenstien to present at the LA PIR At-Large Leadership Meeting, as we discussed in Buenos Aires. See 4.1 to 4.5.

2.10 – all RALO [unclear 00:03:21] will be opening official communication with ARIN, per the request of the At-Large representatives. We may appoint someone from the region to the ARIN Liaison. Please send your expression of interest to the Secretary. 2.11 – [staff Secretary 00:03:37] of possible ALS duplication. Emerging Futures, Network and Youth, Helping Youth – and Sarah’s on the line today – are sometimes treated as distinct groups, but they’re the same organization. Please ensure information is consistent across our data source. Back to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Glenn. I'll give staff a moment to inform on anything they have updates on from that list. Staff?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. I have a question regarding the [unclear 00:04:17] status of the ALS application for the Online News Association. On our part the staff has already conducted the due diligence. We are awaiting [the legal] advice from NARALO. That's one clarification. I also wanted to ask for some clarity on point nine, regarding the [unclear]. What is the specific meeting you'd like [unclear 00:04:50]?

GARTH BRUEN: During our At-Large Leadership Wrap-Up Meeting in Buenos Aires, we had met with Steve Crocker, and Steve used to be a co-worker of Ken Harrenstien. I asked Steve if he would ask Ken if he'd be willing to present to us. Ken is deaf and he's one of the original architects of the ARPANET. He lives in the LA area and we thought this would be a great way of introducing the community to deaf uses of the Internet, and deaf interaction on the Internet and also the roles that hearing-impaired people have played in Internet development.

Since Steve used to work with him, and I believe Steve requested that his administrator or staff person that was with him would follow up on that. We just wanted to see if there was ever any communication?

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: I will follow up internally and get back to you on this.

GARTH BRUEN: Glenn, in terms of Item #1, Online News Association, are we doing our regional advice on that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We did it twice. We did it back in July and I did it again as well. I've sent that to both the lists. Journalists.org is the organization. I've done that.

GARTH BRUEN: I will request a consensus on this ALS application. You can do so by putting a green checkbox in the AC. If you're not on the AC you can just say yes or no on the phone and identify yourself. If anyone has specific comments on this ALS application, please raise your hand.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm not on the AC. I'm okay with this.

GARTH BRUEN: I see a lot of affirmations. If there's any objection, please let us know as soon as possible. I'll send out one more reminder to the list after the meeting, so if anyone has an objection they'll be permitted to be heard. I don't see anyone having a problem with it. As far as staff goes, can we record there was consensus with moving forward with this application on this call today?

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: We will record that.

GARTH BRUEN: Are there any other staff responses to any of the other AIs?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Regarding travel reimbursement, I believe you already have the first [version 00:08:28] with people already being reimbursed. We're following up with Constituency Travel regarding the other request.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I take it there are no other staff responses or updates to any of the other Items?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Regarding the other Items, I see some new ones that were posted maybe half an hour ago. We'll follow up on those.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you so much. Moving onto Agenda Item #3 – updates, meetings and events. The first Item is the recent election and the election results are that Glenn McKnight will be representing ALAC in the next session. Staff, we don't have any announcements from the NomCom for the other position yet?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Not yet, but they're expected this Friday.

GARTH BRUEN: I appreciate everybody being involved in the election. As I've noted to many of you, publicly and privately, I'm preparing an election report, and I've collected various stories about different frustrations people had, or a lack of awareness of the election. I'm going to be taking all those into account and preparing the report. I'd encourage anyone else who wants to share their experience about the election to please send me any information or comments.

You're welcome to make your comments publicly. I'd be happy to put your name in the report. If you want your comments to be anonymous that's acceptable as well. The report will be coming from the Chair and not necessarily from individuals. I'm just trying to develop a consensus and a feeling from the region about the way the elections operate. Anybody can follow up with me about their concerns about the election.

The next call will be September 8<sup>th</sup>, Monday, 2014. Then the actual in-person meeting is Los Angeles. We have the pre-ICANN LA Leadership Training. Heidi, you have some comments about this event?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's actually the 2014 Leadership Training Program, LTP. This is the second one. It's still a pilot. The people who are being selected to go – there'll only be one person chosen by the ALAC and the Working Group – are Alan and Glenn. This will be held in LA the week prior to the LA Meeting. The dates are 8<sup>th</sup>-10<sup>th</sup> October. It's a fantastic Program.

---

GARTH BRUEN: This is the Academy that's run by the EURALO Member, Sandra Hoferichter, is this correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Again, it's not officially called the "Academy". It's under the umbrella of the Academy, but yes, that's the group that's running that.

GARTH BRUEN: I can tell you, from having worked with Sandra, she's put a lot of personal effort into this. She takes it very seriously. We've been very supportive of her efforts. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I just wanted to mention, if people are curious as to why it's Alan and myself named, they were looking for two names – one experienced person, and you can't get more experienced than Alan, and then an incoming person, a newbie. You had to be sponsored travel. That was the criteria in this selection. Then ALAC makes the decision which of the two would be going.

GARTH BRUEN: Was there a question there, at the beginning, or were you making a statement?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm just clarifying that, in case anyone had a query on how those two names were selected.

GARTH BRUEN: Next we have the Los Angeles Showcase. I'll turn the floor over to Glenn to discuss this Item.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: As you know, every RALO tries to do a Showcase, an outreach event, during an ICANN event. It's in our region, so we're organizing an event, and it looks like it's Wednesday night. We're working on the agenda and sponsorship. One of the big things on our call right after this call is the details and logistics of that. It follows in the same vein of what we did at ATLAS I and Mexico, what we did in Toronto, and recently what we did with the Fayre of Opportunities.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. Our recruiting, outreach efforts have been extremely successful so far, and we obviously want to continue and expand that so we can reach as large an audience as possible. Your participation, the participation of the region, is critical to that. As we said at the beginning of the call, the outreach discussion will occur at half past the next hour, on the same line, same telephone number, same dialing code. We'll begin that discussion.

Right from there, right into our CROPP travel suggestions. CTIA's Super Mobility Week, September 9<sup>th</sup>, 10<sup>th</sup>, 11<sup>th</sup> in 2014. Who's suggestion was that? It's all right. Also, the Telco Big Data Event. I think that those may be similar events that are squeezed together. I didn't put that one up,



---

so I'm not sure about that, but they're similar dates and I'm not sure if they're happening in the same space.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Those timelines are probably too tight for the eight-week lead-time at this stage – September 9<sup>th</sup> and 10<sup>th</sup> for CROPP to make that decision.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. The [MOG 00:15:37] Boston. This is something I'm attending and I didn't apply for a CROPP. It's a subway stop away. It's not something I need funding for, but I will be distributing At-Large materials and discussing with different groups there the possibility of becoming ALSes. I don't need to apply for the CROPP for that. Then there's the Consumer Electronics Show in January. I know there's been ongoing, long-term discussion about this. Evan was a big proponent of this. How's this looking?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I just put into the chat, also anticipating what you were going to say – essentially, all the paperwork that's been done previously to explain and justify participation in the Consumer Electronics Show has been done before. Does this need to be rewritten and resubmitted and done in the Comic Sans this time?

---

GARTH BRUEN: I guess if we have any CROPP representatives – I think I saw Allan Skuce on the call – does Evan need to do anything additional? Does he need to resubmit?

ALLAN SKUCE: Yes, the form does change slightly, so it would be a good idea to make sure the bases are covered.

GARTH BRUEN: Evan, do you think you can handle filling it out again and submitting it again?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes, a lot of cut and paste. Sure.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. Next we have NTEN in March, in Austin, Texas. What is this event? Is anybody familiar with this event?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: We only did it this year in CROPP.

GARTH BRUEN: What?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:                    Garth, we did that this year with CROPP. The idea is to go for it for a second time.

GARTH BRUEN:                        That's what I thought. Then South by Southwest in March. This has also come up. If anybody else has any other events, keeping in mind that this is intended to be part of our outreach and recruitment efforts, it should be an event where we can meet potential ALSes. Does anybody have any further comments on Agenda Item #3 before we move on? No? Okay.

Moving into our communications and outreach strategy. We're continuing to engage with the disabled communities. Tom? While I'm waiting I'm going to go to Judith. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:                My question was, I put in the CROPP for South by Southwest, but Glenn and I also submitted something last year on the budge, and never heard. I wanted to find out whatever happened to that, before we submit something for CROPP. Also, I know this year they're paying for registration, but if something is expensive, is there a limit? I'd like to find out some more information on that.

GARTH BRUEN:                        Judith's first question was about a previously submitted application, and her second question was...

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Not for the CROPP, but as a budget item. Glenn and I put in to go to South by Southwest, before we knew the CROPP was extended.

GARTH BRUEN: Who did you submit that application to?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't remember. The budget people.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It was [unclear 00:20:11]. Maybe she can clarify it. It was for the FY 15 budget.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm happy to clarify that. That was put in as a FY 15 special request, and on April 30<sup>th</sup> all of the responses were published. Unfortunately, NARALO's requests were not approved. That will not be approved for FY 15, so you could still do that for the CROPP. While I have the floor, for the fiscal year 16 special requests, we'll be opening in December, which is a month earlier than last year. That's good news, because there'll be time for people to go into more detail in their applications.

GARTH BRUEN: Heidi, how would the applicants be notified if the item was not approved?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: It was published on the 30<sup>th</sup> of April, and I believe the FBSC would have been informed of that. Olivier, I'm not sure if you want to expand on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I've put in the chat what the deal is. Your representatives on the FBSC should have transmitted this news over to you when this was published. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. For the sake of efficiency – and I hate to sound so preachy – it's always good to have the initial point of contact be responsible for following up. I understand that these things happen. Also, I suppose that if the applicants themselves are aware of some sort of expected announcement or deadline date, they can keep an eye on that too. These are communication issues that we need to keep track of. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Your representatives on the FBSC are Eduardo Diaz, Allan Skuce and Darlene Thompson. They're the points of contact you should be in touch with, because they're the ones who are in the right Committee to liaise with you. We try to reduce the number of overall announcements on the main list, because otherwise it's just too much of an overflow for everyone. These are the channels that should have transmitted the news to you.

---

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Olivier. I appreciate the reduction in public announcements. I guess what I'm saying is that when two people submit a budget request for something to a specific staff person, they might expect to hear the response from staff, not necessarily from a separate committee. I suppose if they'd submitted that application to that committee, they'd be expecting the response from that committee.

It's an issue of continuity. I'm not putting blame on everybody, I just think this is another example of something that needs to be streamlined, as far as communication goes. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I don't want to eternalize the discussions here, but it is the FBSC that submits these things over to ICANN Finance. ICANN Finance then publishes the budget request responses. The FBSC takes those and it's supposed to send it back to all the RALOs. If they don't then it's your job to choose people to go on that FBSC that will do the job they have to do. I know that staff tries to help, but they're overworked.

GARTH BRUEN: I understand. Heidi and then Ogi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Really quickly on the issue of the results, you'll note that all of the RALOs requests for regional travel had the same response, and that was that they should apply for the CROPP for these kinds of trips. I don't know if it's an issue of communication, which I do hear you on, but I think it's more that the message coming back from the group that looks

---

at these special requests, is that these regional travel requests should be made on the CROPP, versus special requests.

Also, I believe that this year's CROPP now has an additional note where you can put in requests for booths and things. Even, I know the Las Vegas trip needed that additional budget for that.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Heidi. Ogi?

OGI MITEV: Thank you. One question – I assume we have a report that is submitted after every one of those activities, so that we can see for example we were able to meet with certain organizations, and here are the results? That's my first question. My second question is, do we have a way to capture work that's being done to acquire additional ALSes?

For example, I'm going to be going to a conference. I can basically do that work and I don't have to get any funding for travel, but I can do that work when I'm traveling and I'm just there at an event?

GARTH BRUEN: Absolutely. We have a Wiki page, which is currently where we're storing and updating this work. I'm looking for a link to it in the Agenda. I don't see one, but I can get the page. I will put that link in the chat. Then I'll resend it to everybody later. What you will see, Ogi, is a list of recommended Internet community groups in North America. You'll see a

---

status of groups that have been contacted, and where they are within the application process.

On that page you'll also see a number of tools that we might use to recruit these groups. In addition to information about CROPP, you'll find form letters, you'll find a NARALO slideshow, you'll find links to the application status, and you'll find an outreach events calendar link, and you'll find the ALS applications in English, Spanish and French, along with the explanations of each one of those also in that language. I just put that link into the chat and I'll send it directly to the region to remind them of this.

Murray, myself and Glenn McKnight are happy to accept any recommendation for a group. Then we'll contact them – unless you want to contact them yourself – and we'll start helping them navigate the process of applying to be an ALS. Then we'll monitor their ALS application, just as we're currently doing with the journalists.org. We need everybody to participate in this. This is something we're going to be discussing in the call following this, in the next hour. Does that answer your question, Ogi?

OGI MITEV: Yes, both questions. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: We were still talking about CROPP a little bit, I think. Tom had his hand up earlier. Tom, do you still want to talk? Evan?



---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I'm going to bring to the floor a conversation that's been going on in the chat. Can somebody please point me to where the CROPP forms are? On the URL I'm staring at it right now, and there's a part of the... The only instance of the word "forms" is a line at the top saying, "Completed forms will be moved into this section once they've been approved." There is nowhere to download the forms off the NARALO official page for CROPP.

If somebody could please enlighten me, inform me, email them to me or whatever, it's just very frustrating.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. If we could have that as an AI that would be great. Ogi had a second question, and that was about reports from CROPP events. If you're funded to go to a CROPP event, you must submit a report. We've had discussions about places to put documents, photographs, videos, whatever you might have collected in terms of your experience at a CROPP-funded event. I remember specifically having this conversation with Glenn. Glenn, is there a spot for putting the CROPP reports, specifically?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, if you go to the CROPP page... Again, you should be aware of what you're [doing 00:30:30]. It's a marketing opportunity and you should be clarifying who you spoke to, how much literature you sent out, making sure you have that literature before you go... This is a NARALO marketing opportunity, so you absolutely have to document what you've done there, and your success.

GARTH BRUEN: Glenn, is there a specific spot where they can upload or send those reports?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, they can.

GARTH BRUEN: Do we know what the link of that is? Is it within the CROPP pages?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, it is. Evan was asking for the actual new form. It's not there either. Maybe Allan can direct us to where the new form is.

GARTH BRUEN: Now, Tom has typed his question into the chat. His question was about what qualifies. We've already covered the fact that the travel is covered. Then registration was not covered previously, but it is now. Then Tom, you've put into the chat "space rental". Are you talking about a vendor booth? Yes. I believe that the booth, as Heidi just mentioned, could be part of it. Evan, is that something you're going to do for the Consumer Electronics Show?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: It's conceivable. I didn't realize that funding was allowed for that. What I will do is immediately contact the organizers and get some idea of what

---

---

the cost is. I'm assuming that the booth space would be 10x10, so I imagine they'll have a price for non-profits and associations. I can report back with that. I don't want to risk our entire participation on whether or not a booth is allowed, so I would submit that almost as an addendum. In other words, the booth is a nice to have, the attendance is a much more desirable to have.

GARTH BRUEN: We can probably save money by having a 4x4 booth.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Not when they're all [unclear 00:32:51].

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: On the booth thing, I don't think you should use the term "booth". A typical booth is probably \$10,000. I think what Evan is talking about, he's probably right, there's probably a community village, which is just a tabletop or something. We had a tabletop at the IETF. It didn't cost us anything. I'd avoid the term "booth", but some kind of semblance. It's tough to get your literature in bags. It's tough, because they make money on this stuff. I think Evan has got to research this.

---

GARTH BRUEN: I think I have an old refrigerator box in the basement if anybody needs it. All right. Have we addressed everybody's questions, concerns about CROPP? Glenn, you still have your hand up. Anything else?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No.

GARTH BRUEN: I had started talking about disabled outreach. One of the discussions that came up in London with staff concerned testing of the website for visually impaired code. Something I took issue with was the fact that whilst a consulting group is definitely necessary, they'd be providing the bulk of the support for determining whether or not the site was accessible to the visually impaired. I made the point that you really needed to have actually visually impaired people testing it.

I've communicated to our ALS, VIBUG, the Visually Impaired and Blind User Group, that they should be involved in the testing. I did have confirmation from the ICANN staff that their participation would be welcome. I'll do whatever I can to facilitate that and make that a reality. Then we've already discussed the possibility of having a demonstration of the deaf history, and the deaf use of the Internet. That's also noted there.

Another item within this concerns the automated of the ALS application. I know that a while ago I had been working with Matt directly on it. Matt transferred from At-Large over to a different group within ICANN. I think that Ariel had sent me something about the automation. I'll have

---

to go back and check my email. We have to keep working on that. There's an item here about aligning CROPP with outreach goals. We've already discussed that.

Okay, right there, Ogi, 4.4, that's actually the link right there, outreach recruitment queue. That's actually the link to the page in the instructions. As I noted within the AIs at the beginning of the meeting, we're going to be trying to re-contact a couple of... A couple of sheep have wandered away from the herd. We're going to see if we can get them re-engaged. If we can't we may have to go through the decertification process.

That's okay, because not everybody can stay with it forever. Some people get frustrated. Some people get out of the non-profit business all together, but we have new groups, and we're very happy to have those new groups. Tom Lowenhaupt has been trying to liaise between different municipal TLD applicants and operators, because some of them are community-based. Tom, did you have any comments on that? I know you had trouble getting in the line earlier. I'll see if Tom comes back in the chat again.

If there are no objections we can move beyond this. I'm sorry, I want to turn the floor over to Konstantin. Konstantin from ISOC San Francisco has a presentation prepared. He's our spotlight for this month. Konstantin, if you are ready please take the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Garth, while we're waiting, can I say something? For those who haven't done their spotlight, Sarah will be next month, but everyone has a

---

scheduled time to do their presentations. If you don't know which month you are, please get in touch with me and I'll send you the list.

GARTH BRUEN: Do we have the presentation from Konstantin in a format to be displayed?

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Glenn, or somebody, can you show me how to bring this up? I've shared it with you, Garth, and Glenn. Can you click on the link and bring that up?

GARTH BRUEN: I'm going to have to put that link in for staff to do.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Okay. In the meantime I'll start speaking, to save time. Hello everyone. Thank you for the opportunity.

GARTH BRUEN: I see in the chat that Terri from staff has sent you a message? Have you seen anything from Terri?

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Okay, I'll send the PDF right now.

---

GARTH BRUEN: Tom is typing. He's having audio problems, but he'll send us a report on his progress with working with the municipal TLDs. Thank you Tom.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: This is Konstantin, Vice Chair for the San Francisco Bay ISOC and At-Large Structure. There are a few slides here, and it's based on previous presentations, but generally I'm going to start with slide three, when it comes up.

The SFBay ISOC Chapter, its mission is to enable members to exchange technical policy or otherwise relevant information among the group and so on, and throughout other Chapters as well; to reach out to the community; to promote the core values of the Internet Society, and now the ICANN; to interact with other ISO Chapters and other relevant groups, as well as other ICANN, At-Large Structures; and to develop member programs.

We have somebody, our Treasurer, who's an expert at standards, so we're lucky with that. We spend quite a bit of time looking at standards, and then we look at public policy, education and so on. Above all, I think what stands out in the ISO Chapter is an incubator for developing new Chapters, and including the so-called "inter-planetary network", which recently became an IPN, Internet Society Global Chapter. I'll just say a bit more about that in three or four minutes.

Future plans include leveraging the Internet and associated technologies, primarily as they apply to education globally. I'm going to proceed to slide four. This deals with the SFBay ISOC ALS impact on the region. Obviously primarily it's awareness, community education. One

---

of the roles that I have is to reach out to local universities. I used to work with the universities before, as part of my job. I'd like to start reaching out to the various clubs and societies. I work quite extensively with the Society of [unclear 00:45:04] Engineers.

I work some with I-Tripoli as well, computer science clubs and so on. I think that's part of our [progress 00:45:13]. Public forum events, we have some on cyber security. We had an [unclear 00:45:17] IPv6 in the past. In the future we're looking to do something around the digital divide, and women in technology. We're advising members to join and participate. We're trying to do our best to reach out.

There's obviously a lot of competition for the time of people, especially in Silicon Valley. We're trying to figure out what the best way is to do this, including collaboration with other groups. I'm going to go now to slide five. This is from Annalisa Roger. She was my predecessor as an ICANN ALS representative for SFBay ISOC. She was also one of the founders. This was established a few years ago.

It was basically the vision of Zaid Ali, our founder and first chair, and so on. He, along with Franck Martin, Annalisa, and a few others, got together and basically... I think they were speaking to the Chairman of ICANN at the time, Peter Dengate-Thrush, I believe. He suggested that they get together and start forming the SFBay ISOC. The Chapter itself went up and down with members and stuff.

Right now, one of our goals is to... We have quite a few names, over 1,000, but we want to make sure that we have active members. We're going to go through the Chapter, clean up the names, and make sure



---

that we have people who are actually involved and engaged, and so on. The next couple of pages shows some of the events that we've had. I'm going to cover those. I'm on slide nine. In terms of past events, in 2010, in May, we had an [iNet 00:47:23], the Future of the Internet, where we need to be in ten years.

Other events we've had are software [unclear 00:47:29]. There was a [.mex] conference that [unclear] participated in, to help put together in San Francisco. Then [unclear]. We met at local [competition leverage], the subject matter experts at those local companies, and we have these local events for the community. The latest ones were in 2013. We had coverage from folks like Paul [Greener 00:48:00] from ISOC provide the video feeds and so on.

We had a public forum on cyber security, and then we had a cyber surveillance event and [unclear 00:48:12]. We had the last one at the University of Santa Clara, about cyber surveillance in Silicon Valley, impacts and responses. There was heavy [debate 00:48:25] on cyber surveillance for this past year, and last year. I think we're moving more towards educating [unclear] and women in technology and so on, in the future.

I'm going to move onto slide ten. I have two or three more minutes. Past projects. As I mentioned, we created this project in 2011 of the SFBay Interplanetary Network Project, which is all about space-based Internet and [personal 00:48:58] applications. This started as a project. Now there is a dormant group, pretty much that was called the Interplanetary Network, that Vint Cerf put together with other universities and some industry.

---

It was primarily in the background, and the research was academic. Vint wanted to move this forward, so we decided as a group, as a Chapter, that we'd bring this up and put together an IPN project and see where it would lead. As it turns out, then we got one of our experts, our Board Members, Michael Snell, who basically became quite active and actually applied and managed to create the IPN-ISOC Chapter.

One of the things I will follow up... Garth, I think you mentioned in terms of... SFBay ISOC is a Chapter, but we'd like to make the IPN-ISOC an ALS Member as well at some point. We'll go through the application process. I am the Vice Chair for SFBay ISOC, but I'm also the Secretary for the IPN. In terms of other projects, we have also... I'm going to go to the planned projects. We have the digital divide technology solutions project, which we discussed as a group, and I submitted this, and we discussed this in London. I brought this up with many Chapters. It's the exploration phase. We want to see where we can take this.

Then we also have another project we're working on, with the [Peace Corps 00:50:53], and that's SFBay ISOC. It's a collaborative effort, and it's basically an idea [unclear] volunteers in developing countries. In the future, as I said, we want to work as much as possible with the local universities to promote academic collaboration and look what opportunities there are for development, including [unclear 00:51:15] help provide new technologies, that will help bridge the digital divide.

The next slide shows Vint Cerf at the Google conference we had, regarding the IPN. I think the last slide is SFBay ISOC engagement with ICANN At-Large. We do our best. We want to learn much more about ICANN, have our community much more about ICANN, and our

---

connections with ICANN, as SFBay ISOC, and as IPN ISOC. We participated in London. I was there myself, including helping [unclear 00:52:00] and so on.

We want to see where we can take the digital divide technology solutions, as I don't know if we can form a Working Group or something like that, within ICANN, but that would be great, to basically have ICANN and ISOC involved, as well as I-Tripoli. Overall, we're looking forward to working with ISOC Canada, ISOC Quebec, ISOC New York, as well as many other Chapters we got in contact with, including myself, contacting in London.

It's great we have a mentor such as Glenn McKnight, who's basically provided a huge amount of guidance, and still is, in terms of how to navigate – whether it's CROPP or whether it's the digital divide technology solutions project, and so on. We also look forward to participating in other events, like I-Tripoli. Glenn had mentioned this. I like to engage with the I-Tripoli global [unclear 00:53:00].

It's stuff like this that basically makes ICANN and the At-Large Structures and At-Large organizations very useful. This is the kind of stuff I like to reach out to the community and universities with and tell them, "This is what we're doing." We're an ISOC Chapter but we're close to ICANN. We're an ALS and you can participate as well. I'm going to be down in LA in October as well, and volunteer for the RALO event, as well as hopefully distribute something about the ISOC Chapters and stuff. That's it. Hopefully I remained reasonable with the time?

---

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you so much Konstantin. We were really sorry to lose Annalisa, but we're really happy to have you. If you talk to her, please give her our best. I think that the presentation itself is still being loaded. Maybe we can leave that up for the duration of the call, so people can scroll through it at their leisure. Moving on, if anybody has any questions about the presentation, about any of Konstantin's projects, especially the space-based, because that to me is extremely fascinating and represents the future.

I'm sure that Konstantin would be happy to take any of your questions at any time on this. Our next Item, after the spotlight, is Committee and Working Group activities. Do we have Louis on the line? If he could give us a brief on any NomCom progress?

LOUIS HOULE:

There's no report card for the last meeting. No news on that side. We had a meeting last week, and we'll have one in three more weeks. What we're doing right now is we're going through the evaluation process of the Leadership Team, and we'll also have to work with a private company working for ICANN on that. It's answering an awful lot of questions on the performance of the three Members of the Leadership Team.

We also have to say a couple of words on how to improve this year's NomCom, including of course the new Wiki that we've been using. There's not much more than that to say right now. Last week we were talking about the next meeting in LA, and it's going to be kept secret for now. This is the report for today.

---

GARTH BRUEN:                      What's being kept secret?

LOUIS HOULE:                     Everything, my friend.

GARTH BRUEN:                     I appreciate it. If anybody has any questions for Louis that are not of a secret nature, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer them. ATRT, I don't know if there are any other updates on Accountability and Transparency. I think that there was a document that was sent around today by Olivier. Are there any updates on Accountability and Transparency, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:      No specifics at the moment. The ATRT process itself is still moving forward. The Board has voted to agree to all of the ATRT 2 recommendations. Now, ICANN staff has held a couple of calls with the SO, AC and stakeholder group leaders of ICANN. They've been unable to provide an exact calendar of implementation of these recommendations. As far as the follow up accountability process is concerned, there is supposed to be a Working Group that is going to be dealing ICANN-wide with accountability.

The status at the moment is equally as confusing. A proposal was made by staff for two Working Groups – one being an Assembly of a lot of people, and one being a more restricted Steering Group of some sort. That system has now been somehow rejected by the community,

---

because the Steering Group, which is the one that makes the decisions, will have had seven or eight members of the group selected as external experts by the ICANN Board.

There was some pushback for the Board to select people to go on the group that would actually make the final recommendations. That's where we are at the moment. There is a call of SO and AC leaders later on this week, which I'll be attending. I'll be able to report back to the community afterwards. We're in a funny situation at the moment. We're a bit lost on this process.

That really needs to start as soon as possible, because as you know it's also somehow connected to the transition of stewardship of the NTIA function. There needs to be accountability on several levels for the transition stewardship of NTIA functions to take place. That's it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Evan had his hand up next, and after Evan, Judith. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks Garth. Olivier basically gave all the factual commentary absolutely accurate about what's going on. My own thoughts about this is that I'm starting to wonder if the process, as it exists right now, is being set up to fail. There are some alternative paths that are being suggested by some people.

The fact that ICANN senior management seems to want to heavily stage manage what's going on, appointing some so-called subject matter experts above the objections of the community, splitting this off into an

---

Assembly and a Council, neither of which has very equitable representation. Having done this, having gone into a vacuum and putting this out to the community and, “What do you think?” and then being so surprised that there’s such a backlash...

At this point, I’m starting to wonder if we need some kind of an external forum, possibly outside ICANN, that’s not managed by people within the organization, that have a stake in the outcome, in order to have something that’s truly not only fair, but perceived to be in the public interest. I’ve been making a couple of contacts myself, to see whether or not there might be some other organizations; within the IGF, within ISOC, within elsewhere, of other locations outside of ICANN that might actually be a better respected forum in which to have this conversation.

Having ICANN staff in charge of a conversation about the accountability of ICANN staff is starting to come across as problematic, as a lot of people thought it would in the beginning. I’m really starting to get the feeling that... I’m starting to see some repetitions of history in instances where things have almost been designed to fail.

Be aware there are certain people within the community that are actively working to try and alleviate this. Whether that’s going to happen through tweaks of the existing proposal, or essentially a re-invention of it, is yet to be seen. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thanks Evan. I certainly understand your criticisms and your concerns. Can you help me define what the failure would look like, when you say it’s designed to fail? What does failure look like in your mind?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Failure is the inability to come up with a community consensus. Put it this way Garth, this Accountability Group was supposed to have its first meeting in London. Here it is. We're halfway between London and LA and we still don't have a clue of what these bodies look like, let alone them getting populated. The ability of this group to have any kind of preparation or framework...

For all we know, this group may be seeing itself for the first time in LA, and even that, at this point, is starting to seem not guaranteed. Olivier's right – when we talk about accountability we're not just talking about staff, we're talking about the entire community. At this point, it's not the community that's causing the upheaval that we're seeing. It's not the community that's talking about appointing experts into these groups or saying...

For instance, for the Assembly, I believe the initial proposal is for every SO and AC to have seven people on the Assembly, except for the gNSO, which would be given 16. Where does that number come from? Why are those numbers considered fair to anybody? It absolutely beats me. This was just tossed out. I have no idea where even the frames of reference came by in order to create that kind of thinking.

That's the kind of thing. Things are just so confused. If somebody were to design a process that would lead to either an impasse or even an inability to meet, I couldn't think of doing it better than it's being done now. Did that answer your question?



---

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. I'm asking it, looking into a crystal ball. The crystal ball isn't so crystal clear. Judith, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTIEN: My question was related to when we talked about accessibility, did we talk about the point that was mentioned about closed-captioning, or are we talking about it when we talk about the Accessibility Committee?

GARTH BRUEN: We can talk about any points along those lines. This is something that we're definitely continuously concerned about. From what I understand, the last word that we heard was that that kind of captioning would be "too expensive". I would prefer to get a dollar value on how much that would cost, and what different packages are we talking about. So before we can say that it's too expensive to do, I want to know what the actual dollar value is. This came up in our Thematic Session, and was part of our Thematic Report. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I can get you that. I've been talking to Andrea Sachs, who heads up the ITU Task Force on that. She gave me one figure. She couldn't believe people said it was too expensive.

GARTH BRUEN: Can you send me that? Is that on paper? I would love to see it, Judith.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I was writing about, because... Glenn and I had been brainstorming about accessibility issues, and we're trying to get more people engaged from the VIBUG and from the ISOC Disability Chapter, to actually review these conferencing materials, because from what I understand, a lot of the conferencing materials of these websites, like Adobe Connect or others, are not really accessible to people who are blind or... Just the way they're formatted.

Also, blind people have a screen reader that picks up the audio channel, which means that they can't then look at chat, they can't raise their hands and they can't comment. We get around that by having the Adigo, so that they can have a voice on one side and the computer on the other. There's a lot of issues that we were discussing.

Especially on the captioning, they suggest that as opposed to the live transcriptions we've been having, that are not as good... I'm trying to get some more explanation on what the costs are. I got a small figure of I think \$120, \$130, and that was an hour. I'll have to get more to the bottom of it, because I didn't ask her about the costing. I'll ask her if she can tell us what the costing of it is.

It seems that's the way the IETF is going, that's what the ITU has been doing. There's a big push on the ITU side to get in line with captioning. That is a big push. I can follow up with that for you.

GARTH BRUEN:

I think that having and knowing the dollar value is very important, and understanding the technology better. This is why we need the actual folks from the community, who use this technology and can tell us which

---

ones are the best ones, then we figure out how much they cost, and then we find out what this mysterious [threshold 01:08:15] is, which is too expensive, to give people access to the meeting.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. She joked at that. She said, “How can they think that? It’s not.” Glenn and I are working with the Technology Taskforce to try and engage our community with that, and to find out some information. Also we’ll report back, because this is also something that I think is very important. We want to make sure we publish this and everyone’s accessible.

It comes down to maybe some things, like reminding everyone, when on a call, to ask the attendees list for questions, because they may not have the ability to raise their hand or to type into the chat.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. I want to give the floor to Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I put my hand up in response to what Evan was saying. I guess I don’t take this as a malicious attempt to sabotage things, but just a combination of incompetence and the standard ICANN way of doing things, which is unfortunately to go off in a corner, have private discussions, and then present a document or toss something over a wall. Then when you get the reaction you go back and huddle again quietly.

---

I think we're seeing the lack of transparency in this process, and that's what we're trying to fix – the overall lack of transparency, which is being exhibited in this process, is one of the whole issues. I'm not quite as pessimistic as Evan is, but they'd better get their act together really quickly, because time is running out. The IANA process, as has been noted, depends on accountability being addressed. There's something really broken at this point.

GARTH BRUEN: I'm sorry to put people on the spot or do something dangerous. Alan, Olivier, Evan, or anybody else, can we pinpoint where inside the framework this delay or obstruction is occurring? I see Olivier already has his hand up. Go ahead, Olivier.

ALAN GREENBERG: Garth, it's Alan. I think using the term "obstruction" is argumentative and presuming something I'm not sure we can really presume.

GARTH BRUEN: Is it worse than "incompetent"?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Olivier, you and then Evan.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I was just going to ask a question actually to Judith. She mentioned she'd spoken to a person and I didn't quite catch who she'd spoken to, with regards to an external organization to look at accountability. That was a question, but to answer your question quickly, I think there's much to do with incompetence and just a general having very little time for thing.

Some things are being rushed through and not being thought out properly before being shared with the community. I don't think there's any malice in there, or at least at the moment I don't think there's any such thing. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, I think I would sum it down to something. It's not malice. They're not stupid people, and they're not evil people. I think what we've got is a senior management within ICANN that at this point still doesn't understand what it means to be multistakeholder. In a regular corporate environment what they're doing is perfectly reasonable. This is not a normal environment like this.

This is something in which you can't just [talk down 01:12:21]. This is not something where you design things and then expect the people to bring in comments so that you can tweak it. The concept of going to the community at the beginning of a process, not the end of the process, is

---

critical to the way this kind of thing should work. You'd think that the senior staff of ICANN have been in their place for long enough to understand that there is some uniqueness to the way ICANN operates.

It's not a regular corporation. It's not even a regular non-profit. I have serious doubts now, having seen the way this process goes, about whether or not senior staff really understands what it means to be multistakeholder. It's not that they're evil. I don't think they're evil and I don't think they're incompetent. We've got well-meaning, smart people, that just don't understand the dynamics of the organization. I think that's our problem.

The concept of bottom-up in an organization this big still doesn't click very well with some people, and unfortunately some of those people happen to be at the top of the pyramid. I wouldn't say it's incompetence. I wouldn't say it's malice. You talk to them – they're smart people. There are smart people at the top, and they're not evil.

They don't mean to do this for the community. ICANN management, the part of the organization that you would expect and count on to understand the unique characteristics of this organization, to me, still don't get it. I think that's the hardest bit. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you for this insight, Evan. This is really important and it's crucial to everything that we're doing. If nobody has any objections we have to hurry things along, because we do have the follow up outreach call right after this one. We have the Future Challenges Working Group. I may

---

have a few suggestions for that, but I'm going to save them for offline. Evan and I, and whoever else, can discuss it later.

CROPP we've gone over quite a bit, unless somebody from the CROPP Committee has something that wasn't brought up before? I'm going to move on. At-Large Finance and Budget Sub-Committee. If anybody has any comments, please speak quickly to that. Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation. If anybody has any items to that, please speak quickly.

Board selection process, I don't think that's ongoing anymore. Then the Accessibility Working Group is something that we continue to talk about. At-Large Advisory Committee, ALAC issues. I'd like to turn the floor over quickly to Olivier, Eduardo, Evan and Alan, to discuss any ALAC issues that we should discuss. Please?

**OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:** Thank you Garth. There were quite a few statements last month, but the only three that are up for comment at the moment are to do with two-character domain names in the new generic top-level domain name space. The Applicant Guidebook has prescribed a number of things with regards to having two-character domain names at the second level of new gTLDs. Let's say you've got a gTLD.example, you'd have something like aa.example, or uk.example, or this sort of thing.

Basically, the current arrangements have some restrictions and what the different applicants for these new top-level domains are asking is that these restrictions be lifted. The three current statements being drafted are essentially going to be the same. The first one is one that was due in a few days ago. We're a little late on this. The public comment period

---

for it has finished already, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh, who's the penholder on this, will provide the latest version in a couple of hours, and then the ALAC vote will start.

The future two additional statements that we will have are essentially the same. It might be that we might wish to tweak them a little bit. They have to be in separate threads as well. That's essentially the only issue at the moment. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Next on the list is Evan, I believe. Go ahead Evan, if you have any ALAC issues.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

No, thanks. I did a follow up to what Olivier just said about the two-character domains. I'm satisfied with the statement. Just to let you know what's on my radar in my involvement in the New gTLD Committee, the issue of public interest commitments, their unsuitability in the New gTLD Program, that's an issue that refuses to go away.

It's unfortunate in fact that some of what's called the "Class 1" names, that were contentious, that the GAC had indicated it had a problem with, ICANN asserted to do contracts with them, with essentially no public interest stuff, with teeth in them. This is a concern. We did a public comment on the public interest commitments issue. We're still waiting on a summary from staff, and the New gTLD Committee of the ALAC will get together to try and figure out next steps after that. That's what's on my plate.



---

The other thing, as Co-Chair of the Future Challenges Group, we're going to be charged with trying to deal with the ALAC response to all the accountability stuff that was just talked about. If anybody here is interested in joining the Future Challenges Working Group, it is going to essentially – at least for the time-being – be morphing into a group that's going to be overseeing the ALAC response to what ICANN is doing on accountability and transparency issues going forward.

Those are essentially the things on my plate. The IANA and accountability stuff has essentially consumed just about everything to do with ICANN that doesn't have to do with rolling out the new gTLDs – at least from what I can see.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. Is Eduardo on the line?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm on the line, but I don't have anything to say.

GARTH BRUEN: Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: I want to make a comment on the two-character names. Unless the statement has changed in the last day or two I'm not happy with it. At this point, or the last time I looked at it, it's essentially saying not only are we in agreement that the exemption that registries are asking for

---

should be granted, but in fact there's not even a reason to protect the ccTLDs.

Noting that unprotecting the ccTLDs is not a question right now. It's just that may these registries release the two-character names that are not ccTLDs, they are not currently in the [3166 01:20:46] list. It then goes on to say, however, that if we do that – that is release the ones that are not country codes – if they become country codes some time later, as new countries and territories are approved – then we have an unequal playing field and that's not fair.

I really have a problem with us, on a relatively simple question, coming out on both sides of the issue. We're saying, "Yes, do it, but we're uneasy if you do it." If we can't come up with a definitive answer on X or Y, then I think we should be silent and not make a statement. This is not one of those issues where we're presenting multiple issues to the Board, and saying they have to make a choice.

This is going to a Committee looking at the specific requests from the registries. If we're not in a position to give them advice that we can stand behind, I think we should be silent. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much Alan. If nobody has further comments about any of these topics, I do want to give everybody a five-minute break before we begin the outreach call. I'll wait a few pulses to see if anybody has any comments... Otherwise, we will see you at half past the hour for the next call. Thank you very much everybody.

ALAN GREENBERG:           Some of us. Some of us have to leave.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:        Yes. It's only people in the Outreach Committee.

GARTH BRUEN:            Thanks everybody.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:        Thanks everyone. Talk to you in five.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**