

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO monthly teleconference on Monday the 14<sup>th</sup> of July, 2014 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Alan Greenberg, Allan Skuce, Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, Matthew Rantanen, Robert Castonguay, Louis Houle, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Garth Graham, Darlene Thompson, Joly Macfie, Garth Bruen, Ogi Mitve, and Charlie, I apologize, I did not catch your last name.

We have apologies from Eduardo Diaz and Cristian Casas. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, Joe Catapano, Kathy Schnitt, and myself Terri Agnew.

I would also like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. This is Garth Bruen. I want to welcome everybody to the call, but I want to turn it right over to Glenn McKnight, secretary, to read all of our action items. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Based on our action items here, I have the first item, Susie Johnson to gather latest NARALO brochures. We have 50, 25, and 25 on the Spanish. I remember we had them at our booth in the Fayre of

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

Opportunities. I want to follow up with Susie, because I have, I did not take any extras with me. So I'll need to make sure she mailed some to me.

Second item to Heidi is on transcription for ICANN sessions. Thirdly, Alan to confirm the NARALO election scheduled is put on the wiki. Fourthly is staff, again, to follow up on the turnaround for transcripts of all meetings. To Garth, has the suggestion to post them on a single page with all the media listed.

And lastly, to Heidi, to follow up on Janice and Rob on whether a CROPP request can be submitted even before the 2015 budget has been approved. So back to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. Glenn, are you looking at 7/14/2014?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I clicked on the agenda that's posted and it says monthly June 2014, but it's linking to, it looks like it linked to the 14 May action items.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Do you see the action item that says, the first one about the application for online news association?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I do, yeah.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. I didn't hear that. Did you read that one off? I must have been asleep or something.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let me just, for the record, go through 2.1, staff please advise, I guess Nathalie, to advise on the status of the application online news association. 2.2, Nathalie again, the ALS RALO database to show the date of updating. Please advise on the status. I guess the 2.3, it reads 2.4, Nathalie again, to notify RALO leaders and the ALAC members with the RALO ALS database update.

And again, that was an action I mentioned earlier in terms of the forwarding and sending to us the copies of the brochures. The 2.6 is the election issues, and there will be an item today. And 2.7 is for all to read the notes on the June report. Thank you. Back to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. So this is Garth Bruen. Staff, do we have an update on the ALS application for online news association?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, this is Heidi for the record. We have Silvia and Nathalie who are on vacation, so we don't have an update on that particular one, but I can try and find it and I will get back to you. While I have the floor, Garth would you like me to update you on the other two that are Nathalie's?

GARTH BRUEN:                    Yeah, if you could, that would be great, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                So the latest I've heard on that is that we are still working with legal and we're almost there, just one small detail to be sorted out, and I think it's again, maybe that legal person is on vacation. So I would think that this is going to be resolved in the next week or two.

I know that Nathalie is also working with IT, just continuing, getting the online form ready for, it's posting online. So we're moving ahead with that.

GARTH BRUEN:                    Okay. Glenn, this is Garth again for the transcript. Glenn, were you also saying that you wanted more copies of the brochure?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:            Yeah. I unfortunately didn't take any with me. We did have a lot at our table, unfortunately because I was getting different things back at the end of the Fayre, I did not take off these, so yes, I would love to have copies. I won't have them in time for the IETF this weekend, but I think I have some old ones that I can yes, but yes, I would appreciate it.



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Garth, it's Glenn. I noticed it on the wiki, but I have no, I did not talk to him and I don't see anything, an email from him, and I don't see him online.

GARTH BRUEN:                        Okay. So, I mean, I only have the change in the wiki, and I only have Ariel's notice about it. The only message I have directly from Murray, is that he accepted the nomination. So unless I hear otherwise, his name will remain a nominee unless somebody else has a further knowledge.

ARIEL LIANG:                         Garth, this is Ariel speaking. I just forwarded you an email from Murray to Alan. Alan suggested for Murray to be the represented for the [inaudible] members, and Murray said he is happy to play the role as stated. I just forwarded you that email.

I know you were actually cc'd in the email.

GARTH BRUEN:                        Okay. Now, okay... [CROSSTALK]... email it says that he declined the nominations for the other post? Is that true?

ARIEL LIANG:                         In that email, he didn't explicitly say that, it's only on the wiki he said, he put the decline notice there.

---

GARTH BRUEN:                                      Okay. All right. Alan, please go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:                                Yeah. Someone keeps on lowering my hand, I don't know who it is. I did talk to Murray about it because of what Ariel just mentioned, that is with respect to the unaffiliated vote. He obviously couldn't do that if he was in a contested position. So I did talk to him. He said he was going to send an email.

I'll note that the nomination and the acceptance did not go out onto the NARALO list. For some reason, the nomination and acceptance, the nomination was only sent to a selected number of people and staff. And the acceptance only went there. So there should actually be nothing on the public list about that nomination at all, other than what is shown on the wiki.

He did say he was going to send an email to all parties. I don't really know what happened. He did confirm to be verbally, however, that he would not, he was declining it as the wiki says, because that... I couldn't be suggesting him as the unaffiliated rep if indeed he was running for a position. So I'm pretty sure that's the case. We obviously need to get an email from him really quickly to confirm that before the election starts. Hopefully we can do that today though.

GARTH BRUEN:                                      Yeah, okay. I think that we should be able to handle the situation just in a temporary space. I'm not going to remove his name from candidacy. [CROSSTALK]...

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I'll note that. In any case, that's not a selection for NARALO, it's a recommendation, and we could decide to simply forward both names, and if he withdraws, he withdraws.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. That's acceptable.

ALAN GREENBERG: Murray is on Skype. I'm going to send him a message and see if we can get him to wake up.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, yeah. I mean, if we can resolve this, that would be really, really helpful. So, with that in mind, the election period is scheduled to begin by July 18<sup>th</sup>. I put in by July 18<sup>th</sup> because if we have no need to wait for acceptance of any nominations, we can begin sooner. I do want to make sure that everybody is notified properly of the vote, and everybody has the ability to vote.

But we can begin that sooner, and I think that everybody would probably be happier if we did begin sooner because it may be holding up some clarifications within appointed posts elsewhere, and it may just move things along a little bit quicker.

So then just to readdress that in terms of schedule, after the election. The elected officers will be seated or reseated in October. Last year, we



---

had a period where, because of a tie that went on a little bit longer than expected, and hopefully we will not run into that problem again thanks to some changes in our operating procedures which help break ties a little bit easier.

The tie breaking procedure last time was a little bit more complicated, and had some other strange idiosyncrasies that just made it a little bit more difficult. But it should be a little bit easier to resolve now if that happens. So, going on to the actual posts themselves. Now, what we're going to do here for two posts, which so far, only have single person nominated for them, and since the nominations are closed, that will be the case.

Considering that the first one is me for chair, I do not want to simply seat myself. So I'm going to ask that the secretary put out a call for consensus to reseal me as chair. If you're prepared to do that, secretary, I would appreciate it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I would be happy to do that. So, I'll send it to the list then.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. So, okay. I see a note about hands up, and Alan made a note about hands up. For some reason I cannot see hands going up. Oh, wait. I see Alan Greenberg's hand up. Alan, is that an old hand?

ALAN GREENBERG:

No, that's a new hand.

GARTH BRUEN:                   Okay. Go ahead Alan, please.

ALAN GREENBERG:               Yeah, I don't think we need a call for consensus, I think we just need to have you and Evan declare the winners by acclamation. There is only one person. I don't believe we have a problem, other than to simply note that you are the ones.

GARTH BRUEN:                   This is Garth. Alan, let me put it this way. I have a problem [laughs] asking for the acclamation. I would rather that somebody else do it.

ALAN GREENBERG:               I have no problems.

GARTH BRUEN:                   Okay. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:               It's Glenn. Darlene's hand was up earlier, I'm not sure if she's still, yeah, okay. There is Darlene's hand up again.

GARTH BRUEN:                   You have the floor.

---

DARLENE THOMPSON: Thank you. Darlene Thompson. Yes, supporting what Alan was saying, first of all about the acclamation, that is how we've always done it in the past. So I would support what Alan was saying, that as you know, for those posts that have only one person that's on them, that they just be acclaimed, because that's how it has been done in the past. The precedent has been set.

So I would support that for sure. Now I just, I had a question on something Alan said earlier, and maybe I wasn't listening properly or just didn't get it, why is it that Murray McKercher can't run for both the post of unaffiliated rep and something else? Why is he prevented from that? Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. That's an excellent question and I'll let Alan address that and I'll address the other issue after.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. It's not an issue of running for the position. The position is not vacant. We normally fill it at the beginning of the year, effective in October. But right now, I'm the unaffiliated rep, but I thought it was, the optics are not good to have me overseeing the unaffiliated vote when I'm one of the candidates.

So I suggest that Murray, since Murray did it last time, and he knows what the mechanics are, I suggested that he did that. And so far, none

---

of the unaffiliated members have objected to that. But it's not that he's the rep, it's just he's replacing the rep for the purposes of this election.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Okay, great, thank you. It just sounded like something wasn't going right there, so that's perfectly understandable. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: You're correct. If it was actually trying to fill the position, there would be no such rule about having two different roles.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Right, exactly. Okay. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. This is Garth again. I mean, notwithstanding what Alan and Darlene said, I do want to make sure that this process is as democratic as possible and that everybody in the region is aware of their ability to participate, object, etc. etc. Avri I note, your entry in the chat. And I think that there is room for this to be a proposal, proposal to say that we, you know, maybe we have elections with, you know, none of the above item within the election.

If you would be willing to write up that suggestion, we can put it into the discussion Avri, if you no. I mean, yeah, Avri, I mean, I'm listening to everything you're saying. I mean, I definitely am. And I want to make

---

sure that you have an opportunity to, you know, put what you're suggesting in. So, but moving on...

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Garth, this is Heidi. Just to let you know, it appears that Murray is on the call.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Murray, this is Garth. If you can hear me, can you clarify your standing in the nomination for the NomCom representative? Because there has been a suggestion that you will not be accepting this nomination, and I wanted to make sure because I have not seen an official notice from you that this was the case.

And Murray is typing so I'm going to give him a minute to finish typing. I have decided not to accept. Okay. So that is clarified. So Louis now stands unopposed. Thank you very much Murray for clarifying for us. And moving on to the post of secretary with the single candidate, Evan Leibovitch. And unless Evan, Evan is not on the call himself, so he cannot further object to being selected for the secretariat post, unless he comes on the call later, which Glenn says he might, and we'll give him a moment to speak.

We'll move on to the NARALO ALAC post. Now this particular one, there is not a consensus here. We have two candidates. We have the candidate Alan Greenberg and Glenn McKnight for the post currently held by Evan Leibovitch, which is term limited. Now, with that in mind, we do have to hold an election. I would like to make sure that

---

everybody in the region is fully aware of the election, but also that we start it as soon as possible, and that staff has time to prepare.

We did set out a deadline for the 18<sup>th</sup> to begin the election. Today is the 14<sup>th</sup>, Monday. Maybe we can give 48 hours' notice of the election, and begin the election on Wednesday. Does anybody have any reason, any technical reason, why it might not be feasible to begin the election on Wednesday? I will ask the question again, whether or not the region supports having the election, but first I just want to know if anybody has any technical reasons why it might not occur?

Anybody? Okay. So then by affirmation and with consensus, if people could put the agree button, or just say that they agree, with beginning this election on Wednesday of this week, and I will personally make sure that everybody in the region is aware of the impending election. And we will coordinate with staff to make sure that the election is technically working.

Okay. It looks like we have a consensus on the call to go forward with the election. All right. I'll clear the hands. So then we also now, because we have clarified from Murray that he will not be seeking, that we have the single representative, Louise Houle to be resent to the NomCom as the regional representative. Alan, you have your hand up again. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. On that last point, we put the name into the ALAC, the ALAC decides who to send. Just to be clear. And, but what I put my hand up

---

for is, is it...? Are you announcing how many days the election is going to be? I would think five is enough, but that's your call obviously.

GARTH BRUEN: I think that five is reasonable, considering that if we start on the, on Wednesday, we'll be at least two days ahead of our original schedule, and that will give people working days and the weekend, and the beginning of next week to get their act together and vote. Are you comfortable with that?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm comfortable with anything.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. Great. Any further comments? Okay. All right, fantastic. Heidi is asking, could you please confirm whether the chair and secretary position sufficiently been selected by acclamation? I believe the secretary was going to send out a notice about that. Glenn are you there? You said you sent out a notice about that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I'll send something out after this call.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. So Heidi will have your question answered at the end of the call. Thank you very much.

ARIEL LIANG: I'm sorry. This is Ariel speaking. I just want to clarify one thing about the vote is, we will actually have two separate votes for the ALAC rep position. One is the general vote, which include all of the ALS representatives, and affiliated member representatives. And another is the unaffiliated members vote for the, on the same position.

And it usually will end one day before the general vote. So I just want to clarify with you whether you want to close the unaffiliated member's vote Sunday, July the 20<sup>th</sup> before the general vote.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you for the question. I will yield to the unaffiliated structure to address that. How does that usually work?

ARIEL LIANG: Alan probably knows.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, it's Alan speaking. Normally the chair sets the duration of the overall election, and we end the unaffiliated one 24 hours earlier to make sure the unaffiliated rep has an opportunity to cast a ballot on behalf of the unaffiliated reps.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.



ALAN GREENBERG: So if you're doing five days, five full days for the regular vote, then it will be four full days or whatever the numbers are.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. Okay. Thank you very much. Okay. So, Ariel, does that clear up the question? Okay. All right. Moving on to 3.2, review of the London ATLAS II meeting, which I was able to meet many of you for the first time and many of you again. And I think it was a great meeting, especially the meeting that we had as a region.

Our NARALO General Assembly I thought was a great event, and I appreciate everybody's input and participation in that. And I also appreciate everybody's input and participation [inaudible]... Before I go into the specifics of the meeting, I wanted to give everybody a chance to make any comments about travel support.

The first question I would like to ask, and this is obviously just for people who actually attended the meeting with staff, with ICANN support. Did you receive your per diem? If you did not receive your per diem, let me know, okay? That's the first question. So if you got it, and there were no problems, I don't want to hear from you.

If you received your per diem, but you received it maybe say late, if you received it after you returned home from London, I would also like to hear about that, I would also like to hear the details of that. Since I do keep track of all of these travel issues. Also, in general, if there were any problems with your travel in terms of, you know, the hotel

---

reservation issues, for example, maybe it wasn't honored, even if it was corrected, I would still like to know about that just so we keep track of it.

I'm aware of Garth's, not this Garth, but Garth Graham's issue with flight reimbursement, and we will start looking into that to make sure that that can be resolved. But before any of that, I want to make sure that anybody else has a chance to let me know. Garth Graham, [inaudible] claim for a flight reimbursement... Okay. All right. So, staff, I am under the impression, and I believe that Garth Graham was under the impression, that he could be reimbursed for his flight, which was self-arranged.

And I know that this has been done for many of our representatives in the past, and I'm wondering if, before we contact constituency travel further, if you have any updated information on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi Garth, this is Heidi. I was somewhat monitoring the emails during my vacation, but I will now review those emails before speaking with constituency travel and I'll get back to you on that.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much. And Garth, you have my promise to continue to follow up. Please keep me updated as to anything that you hear as well. I'll be better able to help you if I know all of the details. Now I just want to ask anybody else if they have any other difficulties. You don't have to bring them up on the call, you can contact me off line,

---

that is perfectly acceptable, but I want you to know that you have the opportunity to do so. Going once, going twice, okay.

All right. Now, the Fayre of Opportunities. The Fayre of Opportunities I thought was a great event. I think that we were really well represented at the Fayre of Opportunities. Does anybody who actually ran the table there have any other input on that evening?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Garth, it's Glenn. Judith was responsible for the table, she's not on the call, but she did a fantastic job getting people to volunteer with timeslots. We had our literature, new literature, we had our banner, we had our television set up with our slideshow. We had absolutely huge interest. It was a great event.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Joly is noting that there was no good recording, no remote participation from the Fayre. And Constantine is noting that it was a fantastic event. Kerri is noting that Judith did a good job in encouraging everybody to participate. So I think overall, great event. All right.

Next we had the General Assembly. I mean, I was just overwhelmed by everybody's enthusiasm and participation in the General Assembly, and all of your ideas. Everybody's ideas are being woven into a document that I've been working on for a while, concerning a proposal for something that will assist At Large in managing the technical details of everything that we do.

---

And hopefully once I get that draft done, I can share it with everybody and get more commentary from all of you. But everything that was discussed at the General Assembly is going to be part of this document. So, everybody is aware of that. Does anybody else have any comment on the General Assembly? Any issues that you wanted to address the General Assembly that didn't get to be addressed? Any other comments? Opening the floor.

No? Okay. All right. Moving on to the thematic sessions. The thematic sessions were our working groups, and I believe everybody participated in a working group, and was part of the thematic session, was part of the document creation. And does anybody know what the status of that overall document was? Did anybody here from the ATLAS 2 committee?

I know we had Olivier on the call. Do we have a status update on the final document? Please, Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thank you so much. The final document is, I understand, pretty much ready. There has been a formatting, a few formatting issues that were there. And not the content itself but just the way it looks and so on. I've worked with Ariel and with Dev on this a few days ago, and I expect that we should have something, hopefully today or tomorrow.

I'm not exactly sure. It's all in [inaudible]... Ariel, would you have more information on this?

---

ARIEL LIANG: Yes. This is Ariel for the record. I am in the process, finalizing the names of the participants, because we decided to put each thematic group's participant's name at the appendix section. I'm just reconfirming with all the staff in charge of each session to put the names together. And after this NARALO call, I will have a call with Dev to clean up the formatting issues as discussed by Olivier.

So later today or tomorrow we will have the document ready.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Ariel. Just to add that this was all formatting that was basically taken up to follow the same kind of formatting as the ATLAS 1, where the names were also listed for some of the working groups, or the thematic groups, at the time. And I think that it is good to include the names of the participants in the thematic group, because that's really the declaration is a statement of the work from our whole community.

And it's very good to have them credited in this way. [Inaudible], thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. Okay. So we'll look forward to seeing that, and I'm sure that there will be an announcement. If people don't get the announcement, they can certainly pester me or staff, and we'll follow up. So, in terms of takeaways from the London meeting, does anybody have any kind of, anything that they want to add to the meeting itself? To the discussion?

---

Any problems that you had? Some kind of potential improvements?  
Alan, I see that you have your hand up, go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I guess I just want to say what I said at the closing meeting of the summit, that the success of the summit is, in the long term, is going to be gauged not necessarily by the document we submit, but by how useful is the summit has been in engaging our ALSs. And in making sure that both the participants in the summit, and other people within their ALSs, stay involved in ICANN and in the RALO and in At Large.

So everyone who is there has a task to do, and I think it's important that we not forget that. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. Murray, you have your hand up, go ahead.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Yes, it's Murray, can you hear me?

GARTH BRUEN:

Yes I can Murray. Please go ahead.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Very good. Thanks. Just checking my mute. I just want to sort of second Alan's comment on there. It's really important that we continue to be engaged with as much as possible through the At Large, and I

---

think we... I don't know whether we renamed the Skype chat, but I'm just thinking that we should have some process where we should continue the conversation with those folks as much possible, and see how many might reengage with it.

I think that the measure of the success will be partly on how many of the folks that attended continue to work with us. So I just wanted to add that. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Much appreciated Murray. Olivier, you still have your hand up. Do you have another comment?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much Garth. This is Olivier for the transcript. And I was going to bring you to what happened next. I'm in the process of drafting to each [inaudible] thematic working group chairs, to ask them to map the [particularities] of their working group, to the standard and ad hoc At Large working groups, since ideally what we would like to do is to have people to be continued, sorry, to continue being involved in At Large.

And the best way to get someone involved is not to be on all of the ALAC calls and all of the other calls, because that would take a lot of work to be on so many calls, but certainly starting in a working group, in a topically working group, is an important first step. So this email will go out in the next 24 hours, maybe earlier, put together [inaudible] thematic working groups, and the At Large working group, and the

---

chairs of the leaders of each one of the thematic working groups will be asked to [inaudible] as to their [inaudible].

The reason for this is that I have a real feeling, if we send a general message to everyone, and don't really target it to them, it will be really difficult to get them to... We won't have a high response rate. We need to target the invitations to the standard working groups [inaudible]... generic message out. But if you have any suggestions as to how to do it better and so on, I'm all ears, and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much Olivier, looking forward to it. Okay. Does anybody else have any experiences that they wish to share about the London event? I see that Sarah has typed into, my only two recommendations would be to have met with all of you prior to the working thematic groups. And I understand that this is likely scheduling.

Yeah, I mean, Sarah, I completely agree with you. I mean, I feel like there is such a crush at the beginning of the week because, and this is typical of every ICANN meeting. The At Large, the ALAC business is always right away at the beginning of the weekend. It starts immediately on Saturday and runs through Sunday, and then of course, our travel arrangements are usually only for the Friday before. This is very, very limited time to actually, you know, interact before a meeting begins.

That's one of the reasons I try to have the breakfast, in the hotel, that Saturday morning so I could meet as many of you as possible. You



---

know, and then I understand that didn't work out for everybody because not everybody was arriving the night before. This can make things a little bit difficult. And I'm not completely sure how to address that. I mean, I don't know. I mean, other than, other than having a scheduled At Large session as part of the At Large meeting where people can meet for the first time, and can meet the rest of the members for the first time, before the meeting actually starts, because I think it's extremely useful to do that.

Maybe Olivier has a comment, you have your hand up again. No? Olivier pulled his hand down. So, I think it does help for all of us to get a sense of who we're working with, and to meet face to face. And it's difficult to just go right on the ground running and get into a meeting and start working. Yes, Ariel, it would probably be easier for you next time, but it's not going to be easier for the next new person. And there will be more new people, hopefully, as we continue to recruit.

So Heidi is, perhaps a pre-meeting teleconference to serve the purpose. I mean, I think that we have a lot of phone calls, and the phone calls take up a lot of time. And especially if people are preparing to travel, having another phone call is difficult. I think that if we're going to be meeting in person, having an in person meeting before the session starts, is probably the best thing to do.

And we just have to figure out a better way to do it, and I know [inaudible] was also somebody who was struggling with travel issues and couldn't make some of these pre-events. So we'll figure out something. We always seem to come up with solutions. We're really

---

good at that. Okay. So if there are no other takeaways, I want to start talking about the next meeting which is in Los Angeles.

And there has been a little bit of chatter on the list, I haven't been involved in that chatter, but some people have expressed in doing something special or preparing for something for the Los Angeles meeting. I believe Glenn participated in that. Glenn, what has the discussion been so far about that upcoming meeting?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, I was responding to Heidi's Skype to me. What was the question?

GARTH BRUEN: The question is, there has been a little bit of chatter about events, preparing for events at the Los Angeles meeting, and I think that you were part of the discussion?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. There is... One of the things that we're working on is at the LA event is an ISOC booth. That's the one thing that we've been discussing. Second thing is, because we didn't get a chance to do an accessibility working group meeting. We're hoping that that would actually happen as well. That's the only two things I've worked on for the LA event.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. I do have something that I want to discuss pending the LA meeting, but it's actually more appropriate within the

---

communication outreach section, so I'll wait until we get to that section. Does anybody else have anything that they think will be a critical, something to do ahead of the Los Angeles meeting?

I'm opening the floor to anybody, and if you don't have any ideas right now, you can, Constantine has reached out with a proposal for the ISOC San Francisco Bay to help organize, as we are the closest chapter to the LA event. Yeah, yeah, absolutely. And in terms of, I mean, I know it's not going to be that much of a problem for our Canadian neighbors, but I have extended, you know, any sort of assistance I can to anybody else from other parts of the world, who may have difficulties with travel and immigration in the United States.

If anybody else has any suggestions, certainly let me know and I can talk to the other regional officers about, you know, getting through immigration, if there is a problem with visas or other kinds of problems. We can't really always help until we know that there is a problem, and then we can address the problem, but if anybody has any former experiences in dealing with US immigration as an US citizen, I really don't. And I actually applied in the last year for a fast track service. It's \$100 to get pre-listed, pre-screened as a traveler to the United States.

And I believe that that is something that is open to foreign residents. I do believe that you can get fast tracked to the United States if you are not an US citizen, and you're a frequent traveler to the United States. And this is not intended to be a commercial, but if you have an American Express business platinum card, they will refund you any of the expenses for becoming a fast track US visitor.

---

They basically, they give you a card and you get a profile in the system, you're able to, you know, to use an automated machine at the immigration center in the United States, and the line is much, much quicker. So that's just one thing to be aware of. But I think that there are probably other things that can be done to help people come to the United States if they're having difficulties. Murray has his hand up, go ahead Murray.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Yes, thank you Garth. I just wanted to, no commercial on my side, by the fast tracking between Canada and the United States, certainly is a worthwhile thing to take, but you should apply as soon as possible. It's a bit of a process to go through. But I would think pre-screening is great, it will just make life easier for anyone. So I agree. I recommend it. I haven't actually through the process yet, but I'm intending to do that. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I mean, even as an American citizen with no criminal history, it took months. I mean, this is the bureaucracy at full steam, and [laughs] you just have to be ready to deal with it. Alan, you have your hand up, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. It's eligible to US citizens, US permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Koreans citizens, and Mexican nationals. And Canadians.

---

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. All right. And then, I mean, just to be aware, I mean, I'm perfectly willing to give other assistance, you know, if somebody just needs a recommendation or something like that, or somebody to sign off on something. So some of our ALAC brothers and sisters can get into the United States, I'll do what I can.

And if anybody else is willing to help out in that effort, who is an American citizen, that would be great. In terms of the LA meeting itself, it's the 12<sup>th</sup> to the 16<sup>th</sup> of October. Future meetings to be announced in the African region for February 2015, Latin America/Caribbean 21 through 25 of June, 2015, then Europe the 18<sup>th</sup> to 22<sup>nd</sup> of October 2015. Now I want to mention something about these future meetings on the call, and this is something that I have discussed with Glenn and it is completely a voluntary item and it's something that we've been discussing for a little while.

I've been very concerned with the limited amount of sponsored participation at ICANN meetings, and how, you know, we've got many, many members from the region, and we've got many, many members who are members of member groups, who have difficulty getting to the meeting. And I think it's for our benefit to have as many NARALO representatives at every meeting as we can possibly get.

So I make sure, at every meeting, that we can get full participation, and that everybody who can come to the meeting, we find a way to get them there. We played around with the idea of having a vice chair and vice secretary, doing that officially would require changes to our regional operating procedures. What I am suggesting and what I am

---

offering, on a voluntary basis, is to allow somebody else within the region to attend one of these future meetings in my place.

And I think that this has, this has two values. The first value is that we get more people to go to the meetings. And the second value is that somebody else within the region gets leadership experience. I think it's difficult for people to become leaders until they've had leadership experience. I know that Heidi is noting that additional leadership positions would not provide additional travel support.

That's correct Heidi. What I'm saying is that I am volunteering to give one of these trips up so that somebody else may experience it and go with a substitute as chair. And I believe that Glenn has discussed the idea of doing the same thing for secretary. How we select this person, is still something that is up for debate. But I want everybody to know that I am very serious about getting more participation from our region, in getting more people actually to the meetings to experience it, and every little bit that we can do helps.

So I think that, you know, having this kind of rotation is important. Going forward and forcing anybody to do it, would obviously require changes to our rules, which is a completely different discussion. But as far as the coming year goes, yes. I'm going to be looking for a substitute on one of the trips. So just keep that in mind. If you are somebody who is very interested in leading the region, and you want to attend one of these meetings, just let me know so I can keep your name in mind.

And as many people who want to participate, you know, send me an email and let me know. We'll figure out later how we actually do the

---

selection. So I think that this is a good way to get more involvement and get fresh people actually engaged. Okay. Moving on. Does anybody else have any comment about the upcoming ICANN meetings, Los Angeles or elsewhere?

ALAN GREENBERG: I've got my hand up Garth. It's Alan.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Two things on what you were just talking about. First of all, it's a long established practice that if someone cannot go to a meeting that the space can be reallocated for someone else within the region, or occasionally, we have even given to someone in another region if there was some, you know, compelling reason why. So that's the established practice. I would suggest we have to be a little bit careful in having people voluntarily say, "I'm not going to go."

Because, as one of the people who, over the years, fought and fought very, very hard, and it was a difficult battle, in getting the 25 slots we have, that the argument was essentially that we can't expect people to fill these roles if you don't provide the travel. And, you know, the ALAC members were essentially funded, but the chair and secretariat were not funded in any guaranteed consistent way before.

---

So I just think we... I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I think we need to be able, just a little bit careful to make sure that we're not going to do something which will endanger the long term funding that we do have right now. So just something to think about as we go forward.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yup. No, this is Garth. Alan, I completely appreciate the sentiment. What I'm hoping to do is more than anything else, strengthen our representation. So we can have more experienced people who have been to the meetings and know what to expect, and that those people are prepared to become officers later. That's really, really what I'm looking for.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, noted. And I'll note that the GNSO has had a pilot program for a couple of years, which has provided extra funding for essentially the officers of the stakeholder groups and constituencies. And we might want to think about on an ALAC basis, not just NARALO, putting together a pilot program which actually expands the number of travelers, to cover just the kind of thing you're talking about. So there is multiple ways I think we want to proceed on this. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yeah. Much appreciated, everybody's comments on this are much appreciated. Okay. There have been some other suggested meetings, CTIA super mobility week in September in Las Vegas. The TELCO's big



---

data event, I believe that those two events are connected and they're both in Las Vegas. I think that those were recommended by Judith.

Coming up in my hometown is the messaging anti-abuse working group, which I'm a member of, and I will be attending that meeting. And I believe that our NARALO rep from COS in Canada, Neil [Sharwartzman] will also be attending that meeting. I believe he is on the Board of MOG.

So if anybody, you know, is thinking about coming to Boston in the fall, this is a really good event to go to if you are somebody who is concerned about messaging abuse on the Internet, is concerned about spam and hijacking and other things like that. This is really where a lot of the serious discussion happens. So I will be there.

There is also the Consumer Electronic Show in January, 6<sup>th</sup> through 9<sup>th</sup>, 2015 in Las Vegas. And then South by Southwest, March 13<sup>th</sup> through 22<sup>nd</sup> in Austin, Texas. And there was some discussion about, you know, whether or not the attendees of that particular event would be good targets for recruitment. And some people seem to feel that there was a heavy discussion at South by Southwest about electronic freedom, about policy, that I just personally wasn't aware of.

So it should be interesting. Okay. And of course if you have any other meeting suggestions, any other ideas, and these can all become potential CROPP opportunities, please send them to me, send them to Glenn and I will make a note of them. Moving onto the communications strategy, and I just wanted to bring up one of the ideas that I had

---

moving towards Los Angeles, in terms of tying in that meeting with recruitment.

Because that meeting will be in our region, in the United States, I want to continue our idea of geographic and topical recruitment. And what I'm going to do is I'm going to get a map of all of the areas within North America that our region covers, and I'm going to call it fill in the blanks. And I'm going to show where we have participation, where we don't have participation, and then I want people to start thinking about how we fill in the blanks, how we get participation in the areas where we don't have any right now.

And that we use kind of the Los Angeles meeting as a goal, a deadline to fill in that map with ideas. And I'll be communicating that with everybody, and of course, if you have any ideas, I definitely want to hear them. Does anybody else have any communication outreach discussions that they want to bring up before I move to the next topics? I see that there are some meetings mentioned by Jolie and some others, and I see that Stephanie Perrin is on audio, welcome Stephanie.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi.

GARTH BRUEN: Heidi, go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Really quick question, or is NARALO planning an outreach event, like a showcase, at the LA meeting? Or to have information at the ICANN booth?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. I think that because it's in the United States, that would actually be a really important venue to do that at, and invite people from especially from, you know, the Southern California or anywhere else area to attend. And Glenn has his hand up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Thank you Heidi. You stole my thunder. I have posted this to the list and the Skype, to start getting volunteers for it. I think it's imperative that we have an outreach initiative, and we just have to sort of start brainstorming what it is. So yeah, thank you for bringing it up.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. Is Evan actually on the call now? I saw Evan just Skyped me, but Evan, are you actually on the call?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I am, but I'm on a moving bus.

---

---

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Evan, do you accept the selection of secretary?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes I do.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. That's really all we needed to know at that point, okay. Moving on. So if nobody else has any other kind of outreach or outreach items, we can move on to the community. Do we have a spotlight this week, Mr. Secretary?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We have Louis Houle.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, Louis, if you are ready, please proceed.

LOUIS HOULE: Yes, can you hear me?

GARTH BRUEN: I can hear you Louis, go ahead.

LOUIS HOULE: Okay. So I have a couple of [ballots] that I would like to show you.

GARTH BRUEN: I believe they're being shared on the screen.

LOUIS HOULE: Yeah. So... Well it's going to be short. First thing I will be talking about [inaudible of course has been the [chapter] that has been created in 2000. And our mission, like any other ISOC chapter is to promote the [inaudible] of the Internet for all citizens of the world. And especially for the Quebec community and the French speaking community at the Quebec level, Canadian level, and internationally.

So, let's go to the second slide please. When we're talking about [success through Internet], ISOC Quebec supports the principle of universality, a principle that covers some questions very rapidly, some five distinct questions. And the first one is the adequate geographical distribution of access to Internet.

So this is why ISOC Quebec has been supporting the creation of the Connect Quebec initiative in 2007. We started many projects using Wi-Fi in regions where the Internet is unavailable or poor quality, or inadequate. And we are pretty happy about the results because we are offering high speed Internet with Connect Quebec for \$35 a month, which is not very expensive.

We're now shipping to two way services, it's in implementation and of course, you have to remember that we're always talking about regions and not in metropolitan areas. So, the question also of Connect Quebec, question that we're raising is the [inaudible] structure, which is

---

very, very high in North America, not only in Canada but in the United States. And we pay attention to avoid major exclusions and disparities with the population of the [inaudible] structure.

And also, we can move to the next slide please. And ISOC Quebec has been supporting some projects in schools. On the slide you can see that we've been going through a study in 2008/2009 with the office of cinematography in Quebec [French]. And we ended up with some projects in schools, we call it the [Perma Lab] project, and the point is to encourage young students to develop their website their thoughts, with their needs.

We encourage them and we provide wireless tools, because it's not always available in some regions. There is no Internet except dial up. So, of course, we're proud of that little project because it has an international scope. Kids from regions will be able to contact other schools in the rest of the world, and we have some partnership in Spain, in Canada, and in some French countries in Africa.

So we're pretty satisfied with that. It's not very expensive, but it allows youngsters to learn about the Internet, because they don't have it in their home. It's very clear, they don't have it. They have it at school, and they have it in the libraries, but otherwise, they don't have any access. Next slide please.

One of the things that we share a lot is the knowledge center and training. So we're not in the process of creating a laboratory in [High inaudible Tide], which is a pretty cool, because pretty northern place. And the goal is to develop faster Internet. And to create that

---

laboratory, we are talking with IEEE side project, special interest group on humanitarian technology. CROPP funded me for participating to that IEEE humanitarian technology meeting in Montreal, at the beginning of June.

And we've been working with the IEEE site of Montreal, and they are very interested in our project, and we're also talking with the [inaudible] which is the education network, Internet service provider for schools, universities, public administration, etc. So, we have been, you know, trying to connect people and we are, you know, we share the view that it implies also produces information in French.

And so many different projects like, for instance, dot Quebec, which is a linguistic and cultural TLD, that's going to be available in September 2014. We've been, we put an awful lot of energy into that dot Quebec project, and now we will be able to see the result. Next slide please. Our last baby for 2014 is a collaboration with the [French]. So I think you can pick up what it is.

The OIF is producing is producing a 2014 report on the state of the digital Francophone community. And we are associated with that. We've been asked by the OIF to coordinate the writing work, so we are coordinating the input from a group of experts of all, well, not all, but many, many French countries around the world: in Africa, in Vietnam, in Quebec, in Canada, and in France, and so forth. And we're working with OIF on elaborating the comprehensive report to be presented at the summit of French speaking countries in Dakar somewhere in next November.

---

So next slide please. So in short, ISOC Quebec is a [deciding] member of ISOC [French], so we're just, you know, going back to our regular business with French countries. We will emphasize outreach with French ISOC chapters, and we've been also... We're a founding member of NARALO, and we're a founding member of [inaudible]. [French] in French means link and outreach at the same time.

So this is a network of specialists who are working in projects like, for instance, the laboratory that we want to implement in the north. Connect Quebec, I told you, is [French]. And just a last note, the membership growth, we've been outreaching, and when I took chair in 2007, we had 175 members and now we're up to 650 and it's growing.

Next slide please. Oh, it was the last one. I had a nice slide saying, *Merci beaucoup*. But I don't have it I guess. [Laughter] No, it's not there. Well, that *merci beaucoup* is missing. Okay. So I want to make it short, so if you have any questions on ISOC Quebec, on our project, collaboration, please let me know.

GARTH BRUEN:

*Merci*, and only the French could link an outreach at the same time. Much appreciated. As you said, one of the regions founding organizations, and one of our great members, one of our great participants, and our representative to the NomCom. And with that in mind, Louis, do you accept the re-nomination to NomCom?



---

LOUIS HOULE: Well, yes, since Murray has declined, I will be glad. And I think it's a good thing. If anybody wants to be on the NomCom, I strongly suggest for productivity reasons, to be there for two years.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Murray, do you have any reports from the NomCom while we have you?

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Hello, it's Murray. Can you hear me?

GARTH BRUEN: I was asking Louis first if he had a NomCom report before we go forward.

LOUIS HOULE: No, I don't have a NomCom report for now.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. Murray, you have the floor.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Sorry, confusion between Louis and Murray. It's Murray McKercher speaking for the record. I just had a couple of comments. That was a great report from Louis. I notice when I was in London, I was engaged with the French speaking African crowd, and we had a few in the ATLAS group as well. I was translating back and forth for some of them, but it

---

would be great to see a stronger connection between that Francophone group internationally, ISOC Quebec, I guess NARALO and ICANN, put all of those things together.

So, happy to help out with that at any time. Thanks Louis.

LOUIS HOULE:

Garth, Louis speaking. Can I... Okay. Yes, Murray, thank you for the offer. I'm met many, many, many Francophones in London, and we have on ISOC Quebec, we also have [inaudible], who is working very closely with African French countries. So I will note [inaudible] about that. And I'm sure that there will be some interest for ATLAS 2 and all other ICANN activities actually. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much everybody. So we, I just asked Louis about NomCom reports, and have one, ATLAS 2 working group reports that the document is being worked on. So those are closed for the moment. Is there any movement on accountability and transparency? Any new news in that area? Is anybody on the call aware of it?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Garth, this is Evan.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, Evan, go ahead.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. The news is that there really isn't that much news. In the sense that, there was supposed to be a high level working group on accountability and transparency, it was actually supposed to be designed, populated, and meeting in London, none of that has happened. So the group as yet, does not have a formal structure. It has not had people assigned to it, and of course, it hasn't met yet.

So that's really the news. The only thing that is known is that this is needed, and that we now start to have groups that have indicated that they want more seats, or more of that, and more of that. So now we've had the jockeying for position before the thing actually takes shape.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Evan, Alan you have your hand up, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, just to note. On the more general situation, the Board did accept all of the ATRT 2 recommendations, and presumably will be publishing implementation plans in the near future. So it doesn't address the problems that Evan has just identified, which I think are real, but in the more general sense, there is progress.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So Evan, just let me clarify. Was there, is there a deadline that has been missed?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: To the extent that this group was to have supposed to actually have had its first meeting in London, yeah I guess so. Is there a firm deadline that is set now? Not that I'm aware of.

GARTH BRUEN: Is there a chair, or an intern chair, or a staff, you know, coordinator?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Maybe someone in staff can help out with this? I thought this was at the level of Theresa or somebody in ICANN senior staff that was coordinating all of this. But essentially, it is not still at the point where there is definitely no chair that has been picked, and they don't know how many are going to come from each constituency.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. Staff, any information at the moment?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi...

ALAN GREENBERG: ...charge of this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi. I'm sorry. I was just distracted for a moment. What was the question again?

ALAN GREENBERG: The high level accountability working group, who is in charge of it in senior staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would think it would be Theresa. Perhaps Chris Mondini, do you know the answer to that?

ALAN GREENBERG: You do realize that this in itself is not a good point.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah [inaudible] Theresa.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Chris Mondini has typed into the chat that it is Theresa. Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Can I just jump in? It's Olivier. Sorry, I'm not at my computer. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. It is indeed Theresa, and SO and AC chairs have selected this afternoon to email Theresa and find out, well, obtain a status update on [inaudible]... concern that this process is not moving forward. Thank you.

---

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. We should, as a region, make this as an action item to follow up and make sure that it does get coordinated. So if we can add that as an action item to our call, that would be much appreciated. Thank you so much. Future challenges working group, Evan that is also you. Any other updates on that?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Nothing specific. I mean there were a couple of things that were coming out of the ATLAS declaration. If you read it, you know that there were things in the ATLAS declaration, some of which were targeted at ICANN, some of which were targeted as action items for ALAC itself.

It was highly possible that some of those action items may be delegated to future challenges. And so Jean-Jacques and I have already sort of been on our guard waiting to see what comes out of it, and we'll definitely be looking to see what we can do about that stuff moving forward.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right, moving on. This is Garth. We have some CROPP representatives on the call. Do we have CROPP updates? I know that the program has been restarted for this coming year. So what have we got for CROPP?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Darlene Thompson. We have nothing new to announce for CROPP, except as you say, it has been extended for the next year. People are welcome to start putting in applications right away, just don't forget

---

that you do need regional approval before you put in an application.  
Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. So just for our new members, for some people on the call, let me see who we have here. Yeah, there are a couple of people on the call who may not be familiar with the CROPP program, can you just give us a quick synopsis?

DARLENE THOMPSON:

Basically the CROPP program is to improve outreach so that the North American RALO can be able to attend different conferences and meetings so that we can improve people's knowledge of the North American RALO and what we do and what we offer, so we hopefully can get more ALSs and more people interested in At Large, and ALAC, and what all we do.

So if there is a conference that you know of coming by, especially if it hits a group that is, or less a represented here in the NARALO, it would be a good idea to put that in front of the region because that will be the sort of thing that you can travel to and be able to represent the region on. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Great. Thank you very much. So when we solicit for the agenda, upcoming meetings, this is part of the reason we want to give ideas for CROPP, and we want to let people know of different opportunities that

---

are coming up. Okay. At Large finance and budget committee, anybody on that committee wanting to give a report? No? Okay.

Privacy and proxy services accreditation working group. Anybody from that committee on the call? Okay. Board member selection process committee, I think that work is complete. The At Large accessibility working group. This is something that has been very important to us, and we want to make sure that this work continues. I know we've had a few members from the region who have joined this working group.

There, of course, is no limit to the number of members on the working group, and we want to make sure that we have an agenda for Los Angeles, have a serious agenda for that working group for Los Angeles. So anybody who has any ideas, wants to participate, please let me know or let staff know. And if you want to become part of the working group, we would love to have you.

Glenn is also on that working group. Glenn, do you have any comments on the accessibility?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, we unfortunately didn't, because of ATLAS 2, we weren't able to have a normal meeting, but we did have an informal meeting which has been minuted [sic], and it was very well attended, including ICANN staff. And we're quite excited to be able to see each other face to face in LA, so I think it's getting late, so I think everyone we talked to really thinks this is a great idea.



---

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Wonderful. Are there any other working groups committees not listed who want to give a report? Stephanie Perrin has typed into the chat, “I should say that I’m on the privacy proxy services working group, and the latest news is that they’re planning a day long face to face meeting in Los Angeles.”

Thank you Stephanie. So going once, going twice, any other working groups? No? Okay. Moving on to ALAC issues. Going to start with Olivier. Olivier, do we have any ALAC news?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes, thank you very much Garth. It’s Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I haven’t got my computer in front of me, unfortunately. At the moment, there are quite a few public comment periods that have opened up. There was one which we responded to recently and that’s in fiscal year operational plan and strategic plan, and the latest budget figures.

But a part from that, there has been quite a few proposals for two character second level domain restrictions to be changed from what it is at the moment. At the moment, these are, for all of the new gTLDs, the second level is restricted for the characters. You can’t have two character domains.

And there are quite a few applicants that wish to change this. So there is [inaudible] discussion that has taken place over on the lists, on various mailing list, the At Large list, and the new gTLD mailing list as well. And at the moment, we don’t really have a consensus on whether a statement should be necessary or not, but this is a hot topic as far as our community is concerned at the moment.

---

That's all I can remember from memory. Alan might know me or Evan or Ariel might be able to take this to a few of the others. That's the majority of the [inaudible] at the moment. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, thank you. We actually have a rather interesting situation here which doesn't happen as often as I would like to see it happen. It's not that we have decided that we have a statement, we have different position that are diametrically opposed. Some people saying, "Yeah, the name should be released even more." And other people saying they shouldn't at all.

And this of course, in light of the fact that there are a lot of gTLDs where ICANN has released the two character codes that are not country codes. I think it's a healthy situation that we're actually having a debate on substance, not just people agreeing with everyone. But I'm not quite sure where it is going to turn out, and I would actually doubt if we were in a position to have a statement that the ALAC could vote on the timeframe that we have given a rather divided position.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, this is Garth. I mean I'm not even sure that enough people understand what the issue is, to be able to decide on it. I mean, just so, if everybody is aware, I mean, two letter TLDs are reserved for countries

---

and regions. And these are particular countries and regions that are designated by the international standards organization.

And I would think just personally that in order to avoid confusion, that it wouldn't be allowed for new gTLDs to have just a two letter code, because it could create some confusion.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, Garth, if I may. The issue is not at the top level, that's long settled. The issue is, can a registry have a second level domain... So for instance, if there is a NU dot travel, would ZA dot travel be allowed? There are two situations. One is ZA is a country code, and I honestly don't remember if it is, and if it's a country code, the rules are very clear.

The registry has to negotiate with the country to be able to release it. The question is that for codes that are currently not allocated at all to any country, they are not in 3166 list, and the argument essentially is that is being made is, if those codes are allocated sometime in the future, then those countries, and a two letter domain with that character string has already been registered, then those countries would not have the same right as countries that existed prior to that, or territories prior to that.

The question is really, is there going to be confusion now? This is in light, there are a number of TLDs that already have been allowed to register non-allocated country codes as it were at the second level, and there are many ccTLDs that do it already.

---

GARTH BRUEN:                    Yeah, this is Garth...

ALAN GREENBERG;                Is there an opportunity for... Is there a real user issue here? And that's the question that's being debated.

GARTH BRUEN:                    Yeah, I know that, for example, in NU dot UK, they have CO dot UK, which seems to be in conflict with dot CO for Columbia.

ALAN GREENBERG:                Yeah. Country codes make up their own rules for that, so that's completely outside of our domain.

GARTH BRUEN:                    Yeah. I'm generally concerned, this is Garth, about kind of the opening of little ICANNs within gTLD spaces. We've already kind of seen this with central NIC second level TLDs where they've kind of created their own structure, you know, I don't know, that operates within its own space, and accredits its own registrars. And I don't know.

I just wonder if that's going to take us from ccTLDs.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:                Garth, this is Evan.

GARTH BRUEN:                    Yeah, go ahead Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:            I'm one of those in a stance as saying, if I had my way, it would all be opened up. You have circumstances where two letter combinations can be other acronyms, they can be words, like is, be, and so on. And so for the same reasons that I'm not particularly fond of locking these things away in more than two letter names, I really don't see the point.

ICANN crossed the confusion boundary a long time ago, where you have dot Com, and dot CO. Yeah, I know that dot CO is not under ICANN's jurisdiction, but the public doesn't know that. And so that the idea there is all of these, there is public confusion going on, I think is absolutely a red herring. There is two separate things that are being conflated, one of which is the confusion issue, which as I've said, I think is a red herring.

And the other one is an entitlement issue. That is, should we lock every possible two letter domain away, because some yet to be created country might want to be entitled to the two letter designation. And I mean, to me, this is just to the point of ridiculousness. If it's not a public confusion issue, then really I don't think ALAC has much to say on it. And in fact, if I recall correctly, Alan and I at the beginning even suggested this thing didn't need a statement from ALAC at all. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:                    Alan, you have your hand up, go ahead.

---

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I think we need to be a little careful because there is no one on this call who is advocating the opposite position. So you're cleared to getting a perhaps biased position, because Evan and I, pretty strongly, on the position that if some new territory is allocated a code in the future, the chances that it would be widespread confusion over it is not all that likely.

But, you know, as I said, this probably isn't the right place to have this discussion because there is no one on the other, taking the other position on the call at the moment.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I was trying to play devil's advocate, but I wasn't doing very well. Okay. Moving on to any other ALAC issues. Evan, do you have any other ALAC issues?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Not that I can think of. I think based on some things I've seen within the last 48, 72 hours, I think the whole IANA and transparency things, are going to mushroom into a sea of complexity, with working groups, coordination groups, cross-community working groups, and a whole bunch of different groups that are going to have some things in common, some things separate, some common memberships, some uncommon memberships.

There is going to be an absolute zoo of groups within ICANN that are all trying to point towards the same things. This is going to be extremely

---

difficult to keep track of. And so we're going to need to have as many eyes on this as possible, because when something is this complex, I have a real fear that a really, really determined player that has a specific agenda, can basically come up and sneak something through.

And so for this reason, the complexity here works against us, and we're really going to have to watch ourselves here. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Evan, I'm not sure if you misspoke or I misheard it, but either way, I just came up with an ingenious new term. Instead of agenda, in-genda [sic], maybe you did say in-genda [sic], but I think maybe we can start using that. Eduardo is not on the call. Alan, did you have any further ALAC issues?

ALAN GREENBERG: Nothing that comes to mind at the moment.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. We have been on the call for a while. I want to open up the discussion to any other business before I close the call. Does anybody have any other business?

CHARLIE: This is Charlie. I just want to remind [inaudible] ITF USA is on Wednesday, we'll be webcasting [inaudible] ITF USA dot US.

---

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much Charlie. So with that being said, look for election announcements. If you are an ALS representative and you do not get an election announcement, please contact me or Glenn immediately. And I will be contacting you directly all of you anyway to make sure that you are involved in the election.

So thank you very much. Thank you staff. And I will talk to you later.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]