

---

KATHY SCHNITT:

Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Welcome to the ALAC Leadership Team mid-month call on Tuesday, the 10<sup>th</sup> of June 2014, at 19:00 UTC. On the call today, we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Holly Raiche, Evan Leibovitch, Maureen Hilyard, Alan Greenberg, Julie Hammer. We have apologies from Murray McKercher. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Terri Agnew, Gisella Gruber; and myself, Kathy Schnitt.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Kathy. We can start with a quick round of applause for your first call that you're managing. Let's get started. Thanks very much for this.

We've got a reasonable agenda today. May I note several people applause from all of the ALTs. This is rather great.

The review of the action items is our first part in the call. 27th of May ALAC meeting – the one we had not such a long time ago, actually. As usual, we'll go through the open action items and the newly assigned action items.

In the open action items, the three that are remaining are as follows: first one is for Nathalie Peregrine to post the new online ALS application info on the wiki page viewable to the public, and to publicize that wiki

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

page. Where are we on that so far? Note that Nathalie isn't here, so I wonder if any other staff is able to let us know an update?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

We are making good progress on that. There was some back and forth with legal, but now we've answered their questions, so we're hoping that it's going to be really quick now, and hopefully even before the ATLAS.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay, thanks. We'll keep this ongoing. The next point is for Ariel to work with Dave and Olivier on the development of an overall workspace for the collection of At-Large action items. That's still in progress.

The third one of the open action items is for staff to monitor the use of additional languages over the course of a few months on all various different calls. It would be interesting to have an update on that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Gisella is online. Again, I do caution that it's just started. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of information at this point. But Gisella, if you have anything more?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Sorry, I'm just looking for the action item. I'm terribly sorry. I had a side conversation looking at the call management.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Additional languages over the course of a few months. Do you have any updates on this, Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Apologies, Olivier. No further update on that. We are hoping for Chinese after London, but we'll keep you posted. For now, we've got Russian on the ALAC call, and then more to come.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Can I inquire, in London, what languages are we going to have?

GISELLA GRUBER: From what I've read, it's French and Spanish.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So we're not going to get Russian?

GISELLA GRUBER: I believe no Russian.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this update. We will keep on having this thing monitored.

Now, on the newly assigned action items, we've got four remaining. The first is for Olivier to take up the issue of volunteer recognition and

---

consideration with other SO and AC Chairs about ICANN wide issues. Now, I have had a call with the other SO and AC chairs this Monday. We did take up the issue of volunteer recognition. However, we somehow ran out of time. We had a number of other things to discuss prior to this, primarily the transition of stewardship for the IANA Function, and also the other working group that deals with ICANN accountability, and of course, [inaudible] update on the ATLAS II activities and invited them to take part in these activities with us.

So, the volunteer recognition and consideration drew a response that was very much silent. I think the issue is somehow linked also with volunteer overwork, and that somehow resonated with some people – the volunteer burnout. The recognition and consideration was something other SO and AC chairs to think about further. We might be able to [inaudible] take this up with various SO and AC chairs in London, or I would recommend after London they follow up [inaudible] the ATLAS II activities.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, you're fading.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It might be because I'm speaking less loud, I don't know. Can you hear me well?

ALAN GREENBERG: Now I can hear you better.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I can't speak that loud. This is Switzerland, by the way. If I speak as loud as I speak in England or in France, I'll probably have the police turn up. They'll think there's a mad Englishman speaking here. Let's continue. We'll probably have to strike this one from the transcript – who knows.

Staff to perform the initial analysis of the PAB public forum contributions and the New gTLD Working Group to take up the follow up work on this – that is, to send an e-mail to Evan Leibovitch to remind him about it. Let's start with staff to respond, and then Evan to respond on this as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Unfortunately, due to the ATLAS activities, I have not been able to get to that yet. That's where we are on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Are you planning to find anytime before London?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm hoping, but there are a lot of comments. I don't know if it could literally be paraphrasing – I might be able to start it. We're just hitting a crucial time in the ATLAS bit. I'll do the best I can.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, Heidi. Let's have Evan provide us a quick update on this.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks, Olivier. I don't know, some of you may have seen this, because I think some of you are on the mailing list for the working group. On Sunday, I had actually sent an e-mail out to the working group that understood the issues that staff was having with resources or whatever.

What I tried to do on Sunday is send out an e-mail trying to kick start a discussion, inviting members of the working group to go through the comments that had been received in advance of waiting for staff to do a summary, and see if we could move forward based on that.

It's not the perfect answer, but I have tried already to do a kick start based on that. I don't know how many of you – Holly, Alan, I think you're both on the working group and probably have seen the e-mails. I hope that addresses, Olivier, what you're saying about wanting to kick start something and not totally wait.

Essentially, what I did was, realizing that staff was going to be overburdened, say, "How much can we do?" without sitting and saying, "We're just going to sit on our thumbs, waiting for staff to do the summary," and figuring, "Well, maybe there's something we can pick up with this beyond that." Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much for this update, Evan. Good luck on pushing the working group just before London. I do understand they are very much overburdened at the moment.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I am determined to get some outcomes on this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Go on.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Just in saying, we've heard back from some of our partners in the Business Constituency. There was actually a news report that went out on a Bloomberg service for the legal community that actually was talking about the public interest commitments and actually was talking positively about the ALAC work. That doesn't exist online, since it's behind a pay wall. I believe Marilyn was actually able to extract a reprint of it that I will be forwarding to the mailing list shortly, at least to give an idea of some good press coverage that the ALAC work has been getting.

The Board did not receive the original complaint about PICs first, so our follow up work in saying the ALAC isn't letting this go is actually being well received. I will forward that on. We are getting some traction.

Right now, with the time crunch happening, obviously, this is going to be something we've got to deal with. I'm determined. We haven't gone this far just to drop the ball, Olivier. At least you have my word on that. It's just a matter of seeing the partners we can get on this. We will have some discussion on this issue in London.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for the update. Next, we have Nathalie Peregrine to send an e-mail to the ALAC group about decertification e-mails that were sent to the ALSes on the formal At-Large Structure workspace, minus the ALS from Costa Rica. How is this coming along? I know Nathalie Peregrine is not on the call, so we will have to punt this to another staff member.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I thought that had been done. I will follow up with Nathalie about that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. I think I can say that I did see an e-mail from Nathalie over to Alan to ask for the final e-mail to be filed. Alan, could you provide us a quick update on this, please? The two resolutions, effectively, the one resolution that looked at – well, the two different cases.

ALAN GREENBERG: I actually haven't looked at Ariel's messages yesterday, I've been tied up with other things. I will after this meeting. The resolutions I put out were ready to go, other than to have the specific ALS name and pointers for the workspaces plugged in for each one, with factoring in the minor change you made.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. Is it Ariel who is following up on this? Who is following up on that?



HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, it's Ariel who is doing that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'll ask Ariel, then. Where are we on this and are we ready to roll?

ARIEL LIANG: I'm setting up votes, based on the previous decertification votes. I'm also waiting for the final wording for the resolution so I can put it in the vote itself. I will follow up later with Alan, just to understand the decertification process, because Matt managed it before and I haven't gotten the details yet. I will follow up after the call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Is that okay with you, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: That's fine.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The way I see it, I've looked at the input that's on the page at the moment. We can't really wait any longer. Next week, we can't launch any votes because most people are traveling. If we want the organizations of these ALSes to be decertified, we have to launch the vote this week.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, for the ones that are ready, there's no reason not to do it later on today or tomorrow.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's it, Alan. That's what I mean. The first four on the list appear to be ready with all of the details needed for it. The fifth one, also. So that's the four EURALO ones, the one from LACRALO, and then the two that appear to not have any information yet – or at least, not completed information – that might raise questions from the ALAC members who are voting, or the two NARALO ones, where there is an explanation of what's happened, but there's no actual details and such.

The first one, the Consumer Web Watch [inaudible] consumer reports, it doesn't have an actual copy yet. Then, the second one is an explanation of what an ALS needs to have when it's registered as an At-Large Structure.

Can you just hold for a second? I've got another call.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: That doesn't happen often.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Apologies for that. I'll tell these people to go away.

Any comments on this? I see no comments. So let's proceed forward then, with the vote on the EURALO ones and the LACRALO one, and we'll have to wait, maybe follow up with Garth on the two NARALO

---

ones. I know that, from having discussed it with him yesterday, he was currently working on it.

Hopefully, we can get those last little bits to make sure that the vote goes through without any ALAC members questioning the votes by which we are about to decertify these ALSes – or former ALSes, very soon.

Now, next, the last one in the newly assigned action items – faster formed thematic groups, so they can be proceeded forward. The thematic groups, our information, as you know, the leaders have already launched their discussions and want to prepare for the working session that will take place in London. Could we have a quick update on the database of the thematic group allocation for all the ALSes, please?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Susie is working on it as we speak. I'm hoping she'll have it done by the end of this call. I will keep you updated as we go along.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

That's excellent. Thanks very much. Of course, the next steps for this are for the working groups to start being able to correspond with each other through the mailing list. Each one will have a mailing list, so people will then all be subscribed to those mailing lists. The leaders of the thematic groups will be able to correspond with their groups [inaudible] for the London At-Large Summit.

Let's move on, then, with the next thing. [inaudible]. I'm looking at the chat. The attendees have not been formed, as to confirm which

---

thematic group they are attending, because Susie will have that list by the end of this call. So as soon we've got that, they will be told.

Let's move on. Any questions or comments on this first set of action items? Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just going back to that action item of Nathalie's about the note for the decertification e-mail. She has actually not done that. We'll handle that from staff. Ariel, you might be asked to do that. We'll handle it internally.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: What do you mean by what she hasn't done? She hasn't sent the e-mail to the ALAC list about the decertification e-mail to attend to the ALAC group?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. We just need to find out what needs to be done at this point, and we'll go ahead and do that, before the vote.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You're going to have to work this one out, because we're launching the vote this week. Not on Friday – it's going to have to be today or tomorrow. Thank you.

Let's go to the next set of action items. That's our last ALT call, on the 28th of May. We will go directly to the open action items. You'll note

---

that we have the same items in some ways, so the collection of At-Large action items is still ongoing. The additional languages, still ongoing. The updating of the former At-Large Structures workspace, that's one which is not on the ALAC list.

Ariel Liang to work with Alan Greenberg on updating the former At-Large Structures workspace and ensure that its information is accurate and up to date. Is there an update on this?

ALAN GREENBERG: No.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That was honest. Now Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: I have an update on the to-be-decertified ALSes, the individual pages with the e-mails. For example, Alan was asking about e-mails, the sender, the receiver, the date, which are not clear, so I found the original e-mails and posted there. I did those updates, based on Alan's previous e-mail.

ALAN GREENBERG: In that case, I retract my no.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Ariel. This loops back to the discussion we had about two minutes ago. Most of us remember, apart from Alan.

Staff to publicize the ALAC GAC meeting questions space, and ALAC Board meeting questions space on the ALAC list and request topics for these meetings. I think that this has been sent out – I'm not quite sure whether we've had so much input coming from it. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: There is going to be no GAC meeting, so we did not publicize that. I'm not actually seeing the action item that you're reading. Did you say ccNSO?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Board.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That was agreed to. We already had the question. The next step would be – the second set of questions is actually for the Board to ask the ATLAS, and the latest on that is we're going to be speaking with Steve Crocker on that next Friday, and then he'll take it to the Board to cement those questions.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Heidi, for this.

---

Then we'll have the newly assigned action items. Let's just tick the box for the last one. Now we've got the last two. Once a standard ALS decertification motion text is received from Alan Greenberg – which is done – staff is to launch the process of the ALS decertification and finish the process before London. This is about to be fixed in the next 48 hours.

Staff is to setup the next CROPP call and send a note to the RALO Chairs and Secretariats to confirm the CROPP members' membership. Do we have an update on this? Go ahead, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. This CROPP call was held yesterday. I'm not so sure what got in the note to the RALO Chairs and Secretariats to confirm the CROPP members' membership. I'll let staff answer that one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Staff?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I participated on the call. It was very useful. We discussed many examples and ways to improve the program. Regarding any particular action item, for me, sorry, I didn't catch that. But, of course, I'm happy to send any reminders to RALO, if needed at this point.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Silvia. We did have to that, the RALO's Chairs and Secretariats, if you wish to keep their current CROPP members within their circuit [inaudible] if you could do that. It's not the end of the world if it hasn't been done, if it hasn't been done, but it should really be done for the forum.

I gather that most of the CROPP members – all of the CROPP members, actually – perform their duties rather well. This can probably be kept for another year.

All right. That's the action items for us. Let's get back to the agenda and move to the next item on the agenda, the items for discussion. Did I just hear Evan go "um"?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: You heard me go "um," yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead, Evan. You have the floor.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: There was one action item that wasn't mentioned. It had to do with me talking to Cheryl and Rudi on the Consumer Trust Metrics Group. It's near the bottom of the action items, under still open items.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Evan, if I could, you'll see it's been marked complete. The reason for that was because on a past either ALAC call or ALT call, Cheryl explained



---

what that was, and it was agreed that that action item either had been done or was ongoing, and indicated to be closed.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, because there was action ongoing with the Consumer Trust thing, and it's a really difficult slog. I've been going offline with Jonathan – he seems hell bent to purge most of the ALAC metrics at this level, and it's just not going very well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this update, Evan. I think probably the last ALT call, or the last ALAC call that you weren't able to join, we had an update that things were running well. Your update sounds like it's not running that well. Is there anything that we might need to do to help?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I don't know yet. Like I said, right now, things have gone offline personally between myself and Jonathan. I will be more than happy to keep you abreast if there is an impasse.

He's just basically saying he doesn't understand the significance of some of the metrics we've asked for, that they don't have clear enough targets, to which the answer is normally you make a target before you set out making the tool to reach the target. Making the targets afterwards is, shall we say, not as useful as it could be.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You can move the goal post to get the goal to go in. It just depends who [inaudible].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Anyway, to make a long story short, there's been all sorts of reasons, which I would call excuses, to try and get rid of the metrics that we got the Board to add into. I'll keep everybody abreast of it. This is not resolving anywhere near as fast as I'd like.

Holly, in return for your answer, "Should this be an item for the whole ALAC?" again, let's see what happens in my little discussions back and forth with Jonathan. Sometimes, it seems like we're really close to resolving something, and then he'll say something or whatever that just makes me wonder if we're miles apart.

We're both sensible people. I have confidence we can do something on this. You'll all be the first to know whether this resolves well or not.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Evan. This sounds like [inaudible] fun. Please keep us updated on this and your futures. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: It sounds like if this is not resolved to Evan's satisfaction before London, we need to arrange a face-to-face meeting, and probably more than just Evan there, on the ALAC side.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:      Okay. Do you mean we should discuss this over face-to-face on one of our ALAC sessions, perhaps?

ALAN GREENBERG:                No, I meant the rump group should meet face-to-face to see if we can hammer out something, if it still isn't resolved by then. If that fails, then yes, it needs to be brought up at the ALAC meeting.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:               I'm fine with that. Until proven otherwise, I will like to think that Jonathan and myself are reasonable people that can go into a corner and can thrash this out. It's not necessarily the easiest of slogs, but right now, I have no reason to be cynical about that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:      Thanks very much for this, Evan. Let's move on, then. You keep us updated on this. If need be, we'll be able to devote some time face-to-face to discuss that, and perhaps we'll discuss it even at the end of the ALAC meeting if there's no movement on it during the – sorry, the end of the ALT meeting on the Friday morning – if there's no movement about this before or during London.

Now, let's go to the items for discussion. Agenda item number three, everyone. Here, we're making policy advice, and the currently open public comment. Four of them, but only two – no, none that we're working on. Let me start again. Let's rewind, I'm really confused.

---

Statements for endorsement currently developed are reviewed or voted on by the ALAC. The Board Member Compensation, the ALAC is currently voting on the people.

The FY-15 Operating Plan and Budget, Tijani is drafting a statement on that. It's got a long deadline, so we still have time for it to be set on the wiki.

The Draft Five-Year Strategic Plan statement was drafted, is on the wiki at the moment, and is still undergoing commenting. I heard from some people that it might need to be beefed up a little bit. I ask you to have a look at that.

Enhancing ICANN Accountability – the ALAC still hasn't made up its mind whether it will draft a statement or not, one of the reasons being that, because this is such an early stage, there is going to be an ICANN Accountability Working Group – a cross community working group, I think. You can't really call it "cross-community" because it's not a community built group, but it's one of the overarching groups that will start in July at some point. It's questionable whether the ALAC should draft a statement before the London meeting. Let's discuss this in a moment.

The Registrar Stakeholder Group Charter Revisions – the ALAC is considering drafting a statement. I'm not sure whether Alan has come back to us on this, but I think that Alan might have said, "We have so many things, it might not be worth the ALAC commenting on this."

Finally, the Study to Evaluate Solutions for the Submission and Display of Internationalized Contact Data – it mentions here that the ALAC is

---

considering drafting a statement, but from my e-mails, I recall that both Holly Raiche and Carlton Samuels have come back and said, “Probably not.”

Let’s first open the floor. I see Alan Grenberg with his hands up. Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG:

That was with regard to the Registrar’s Stakeholder Group Charter. I recommended after some analysis that we not write a comment. I think Evan and Carlton supported me. You then weighed in saying, “Okay, no statement.” I think a decision has been made.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much, Alan. That’s also going to be no statement. For a moment you really scared me by saying we’d write a charter for the Registrar Stakeholder Group, but of course, that was not so.

Now, Holly, you have your hand up, and I gather this is for the Submission and Display of Internationalized Contact Data. Holly, you have the floor.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I would agree with what your summation was. Carlton and I had a look, and I don’t think we saw that there was a statement necessary. Open to comment, but I didn’t think we needed to comment on that one.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Holly, for this. That [inaudible] going back up. The Enhancing ICANN Accountability. Should the ALAC draft a statement before London? The floor is open. I see no one rushed to the mic. The current apathy on ICANN Accountability is startling. Suddenly people rush to the mic. Holly Raiche, you have the floor.

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm having the same feeling, the same question, you do. We're heading into London. There will be a big session in London. Why would we not wait until at least – Alan and I are involved in a thematic group on accountability. There will be a big session on accountability on Monday.

Why wouldn't we at least wait until then to see what we [decide]? I just think it's a bit premature to do anything before then. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Holly. In fact, I have asked the question regarding this topic to the staff member in charge of this topic and said, "Why are you asking people about this before the discussion actually takes place?" The response was, "Well, this could help with framing the topic when we present it to the community."

As you know, framing the topic is an important thing. Whether we have time to help with the framing it, or rather, actually reframing when we meet face-to-face, is an arguable thing. Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Not much to say. I could not support trying to draft something and get consensus on it before London. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure what it would say. Unless we know of some huge gap in the list – they produced a laundry list of “what does accountability mean to me?” and unless they have some huge gap there, I just can't see it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. Seeing no one speak to the contrary, we have a consensus on this.

Just as a reminder, ICANN Transparency and Accountability is indeed our thematic group number four, with subject matter experts, Avri Doria and Hong Xue, with Holly Raiche and Chester Soong moderating this. Alan, you are the reporter. It looks like this is in hand. We'll probably have a lot more to say after that thematic group discussion.

I think that takes us through all of the current public comments. Are there any comments, generally, on any of these?

HOLLY RAICHE: Dev has something in the chat.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Dev has mentioned that the FY-15 Strategic Plan is still out for comment. He will be looking to do a second and final statement based on the two comments received. There is already a first draft, isn't there, Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, first draft. Based on that first draft, two comments were received. There is just a little left, to look at those comments, and perhaps come up with a separate or final statement for the consideration.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just an updated statement from what there is at the moment. I note that the ending date for the call for comments are closing in eight days from now, so you still have time. I urge you all to have a look at this. Could I ask staff to send a reminder to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, for them to have a look at this?

I'm a little surprised we've had so much discussion about ICANN's [inaudible] strategy, and yet, there's been very little input from the community on this vital topic. The vote will start on the 20th, and will run throughout the ICANN meeting and close on the 26th of June.

It might be – I just wonder now, I'm thinking about, maybe I'm wrong – it might be that we perform the vote in London, if by then we have the leverage to discuss this further face-to-face at some point, although I'm well aware it's difficult to find some time in London to discuss further topics.

Let's move on. Can everyone hear me correctly? I have reports that my voice is very faint.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, I can hear you, Olivier.

---



OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You can? Thanks. I've just noted the calls for "speak louder." Let's move on.

As you know, the ones I mentioned earlier that are currently open for public comments, there's several we're not drafting statements for, including the WHOIS Requirements and National Law Conflicts, the Proposed Implementation of GNSO PDP Recommendations on Locking of a Domain Name Subject to UDRP Proceedings, and the Revised UDRP Rules, and the Notice of Preliminary Determination To Grant Registrar Data Retention Waivers, in addition to the .WED Registry Agreement Amendment, Introduction of Third Level Domain Sale – introduction [offered] by the domain sale. These ones are not going to be commented on.

ATLAS II update? We now have 30 minutes to speak about the update and review the schedule and the agendas of the ALAC and ALT meetings. It's interesting because it's a "C" and there's nothing next to it. Perhaps it has been updated? If I reload, magically – perhaps it hasn't. Has it been updated, staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Has what been updated? Oh, C. Sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Things that I don't see. Well done.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's in the chat. That's where it is. If you refresh in about one moment, you'll see it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible] for Heidi today. We'll move to the draft agenda in the chat. Over to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. This is actually the draft one-pager, Olivier, that you've been asking for. Like magic, thanks to Susie, it's been done. Again, these are not the individual meeting pages. Is that what you want to review?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We can review that, or we can review the other pages. The other pages, we've reviewed a number of times already. We could have a quick look at this one. I know that there were maybe a few errors – some of the things needed to be updated a little bit.

For example, we speak everywhere about thematic working groups, and here, I think we speak about something else on that agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We call them "breakout groups." Okay, we'll make that change. I'll correct that.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Are there any questions or comments on this? I don't think we need to go through the whole list. This is something which has been asked by a lot of people, just because the other ones – the detailed ones – are sometimes are [overly] detailed.

Does anyone have any comments on these? Has anyone, indeed, had a look at these, and what we're going to be up to in London?

HEIDI ULLRICH: While everyone's looking – go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. I did find that there were some gaps in the [inaudible] with reporting things. Would you like a volunteer to fill in the gap?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, Maureen, I didn't quite – where are there gaps?

MAUREEN HILYARD: In the session reporting table, at the bottom. Before I forget, would you like a volunteer?

HEIDI ULLRICH: How that works is that, basically, everyone is able to do that as they wish once they get to London they can take a look at which meetings they are going to attend, and then they can fill in the report. This is

---

something Olivier normally announces at the very end of the At-Large and RALO Chairs sessions, which is now on Monday.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: A very good point that you've made, Maureen, actually. The question is whether we should ask our ALSes to report on things that they see, or should we just task the ALAC members on this at the end of our ALAC day? Any thought on this? Another tough question. Did you hear my question, anyone? Go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I was just thinking, there are some ALSes out there who are pretty keen to be involved, even amongst the newbies. So putting it out initially would not be a bad idea, I don't think.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Maureen. What I suggest then at that point is that during the last session that we have on the Sunday, which is really the plenary session for briefing about group sessions, etc. – as soon as we finish that, the last thing we do before we go off to have the cocktail with the Board, we let all of our ALSes know about these wiki pages they can send records to.

The only concern I have is whether they all have logins for the wiki. If they don't, is that likely to get overloaded with reports in their e-mail? Do we have any workaround around this? Heidi, any suggestions on this?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm going to hand it over to Ariel, our techie. Go ahead, Ariel.

ARIEL LIANG: Just to clarify the question you're asking, whether we can give the wiki login to all the At-Large participants?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That wasn't the question that I was asking, but it could be the question I could be asking, yes.

ARIEL LIANG: This can be done. I just need to work with IT to give them the credentials. We probably need to specify which space they have editing rights, otherwise they can go all over the place changing things. I think we probably need to set that rule first.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have two concerns, the first one being that I think it might be very hard for our ALSes to be able to understand or get to know how to use the wiki, if they haven't used one before.

What I was going to suggest – this is just a suggestion at the moment – would it be possible to open up anonymous commenting on the reporting page on the usual meeting reporting page that we have at ALAC meetings or ICANN meetings?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: My understanding of that is that if we open it up, it goes for all the workspaces, and that might bring on that spam again. But, if we make a completely new workspace, whether that could be opened up –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We still have time. Please check on this. The alternative would be to reopen our anonymous commenting, bearing in mind that when we actually closed it and required logins, we said we were going to keep that for a while and see if any spammer – which I remind you all was done by hand – had given up.

If that's the case, then maybe we can reopen our spaces ahead of the meeting we'll have in London, so we'll get a lot more comments from our community. That might be a thing to look at. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

True, Dev, someone might not identify themselves correctly. I see Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Alan Greenberg. Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm certainly thinking that all the ALS representatives should have the wiki credentials. Exactly the main [inaudible] versus commenting anonymously, may not identify themselves. So you have to deal with that issue. Then, you say, "Well, I submitted it. It was that anonymous comment," and so forth.

---

I think the exercise can be done now, with all the ALS attendees, going through them and seeing which ones don't have any wiki credentials. I think that exercise can be done now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The only concern is we have 160 ALSes, and I just wonder whether IT has the time to create 160 accounts. That was my concern.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I would think that all of these accounts – I would say 90% I'm thinking, or 95%. of these ALS representatives already have wiki accounts. It's not like creating them all from scratch.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. If that's the case, that would be fine. Could I ask staff to follow up on this, please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, we can.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Heidi. Alan Greenberg has the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Even if we set up accounts, people aren't going to know how to use them, they're not going to log on. We've had problems for years that people who have accounts don't log on and make anonymous

---

comments, and we don't know who they're coming from other than [divining] it from the content.

I don't think we're going to fix the problem of all ALS people using the wiki properly right now. I would remove the limitation on anonymous posting right now, and if it really causes a huge problem, then put it back. I suspect we'll be okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much, Alan. I guess for those ALSes that have logins, we'll just tell them, "Please remember to log in before you put your comments or before you add your report." That'll be great. Let's move on, then. I don't want to spend too much time on this.

The session reporting is one thing. Any other comments on the actual schedule that we have for the whole week? That's a very long and full schedule.

Sorry, who was that? Some unnamed person. Okay, let's move on then to the second part of this question, and that's to do with the thematic working groups.

As you know, the work we are doing on the thematic working groups is particularly important, because that's what's going to be bringing out a statement from the ALAC that will go over to the Board.

You are all scattered among, I think, all of the working groups so far. I just want to see...yes, there's someone at least on each one of these thematic groups. I just wanted to check from you whether there had



---

been any movement on your leadership, in the leadership of your working group.

Let's start with TG1, The Future of Multistakeholderism. On there, I note that Evan Leibovitch is reporting. Evan, has there been any movement?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's not the answer I was looking for, but it might work. The Future of Multistakeholderism is one of the thematic working groups. You are the reporter for this.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I am.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Has there been any discussion among the leadership – Adam, Avri, Leon, Rafid, and you – on how this is going to take place? Nine hours of working group?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The quick answer is no.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It needs to happen.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I can say I'm fairly comfortable with what I know I need to do. I was hoping I wouldn't have to be the one to bring the others together, although that's conceivable. I guess I was waiting for some action, me just being the lowly reporter. I'm happy to take a greater role in it.

I essentially know what I need to do when I get there. I'm sort of hoping the other leaders had gotten decent instructions from Wolf, but your question of has there been any specific communications between those of us in that group with each other on the subject – the answer is no.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this update, Evan. Just for everyone, coordination on this – the plan is to have those working groups meet on the Saturday. By then, the people in the working groups should know a lot more about the topic than just arriving with their hands in their pockets and thinking, "What's this all about?"

Effectively, what we're going to [inaudible] is to have those working groups formed with participants. So far the two largest ones are Thematic Group One and Thematic Group Three, Global Internet: The User Perspective. I'm working from memory – is that correct, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. Those two are going to be the largest.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: These two are going to be in the largest rooms. They are going to have the largest number of participants. They will also be interpreted into French and English. That's nine hours spent face-to-face to produce [inaudible] and a statement on this. I'm concerned, but not overly concerned, but concerned that there hasn't been any movement on this so far.

The plan is to have the mailing list filled up by tomorrow, and then you, as the leadership – and I'm saying leadership as in Adam, Leon, Rafid, and you – need to have worked out a plan on how you want to fill those nine hours. Wolf Ludwig will have sent a note to all the thematic leaders as to the proposed format by which these could work.

I think this needs to be looked at quite carefully, and certainly you need to be probably shepherding this, as someone from the ALT who is used to shepherding things. This is what I'm hoping that we can all do in our respective working groups.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: All right. If I don't hear anything from them over the next few hours, I will shake that tree.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just to note, Group One currently has 57 people in it. It's a rather large group. Again, what was decided on the thematic groups call – I think

---

you were on that call – it was agreed that a fishbowl technique of managing groups was going to be used.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes, they agreed on that. Maybe when I get there, I'll figure out what the heck a fishbowl is.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There are two things, though, Heidi. A fishbowl technique, once being there, fine. But having people in a room, locked in a room for nine hours, there's absolutely no direction in which to go, and no structure to this whole thing. That would be an absolute failure – sorry to use that word, but I've seen this sort of thing happen, and people just end up reading their e-mails.

There needs to be some direction put in one way or another, and certainly some structure as to what the targets are going to be. I'm talking about time targets, I'm talking about the way the session will run and things like that.

In addition, the topic itself is important enough for some high quality output to come out of it. It'll be interesting and challenging to run.

Alan Greenberg, you put your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: I did put my hand up. First, a question: are we doing remote participation into the thematic sessions?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. I'm not sure, actually. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe so. I'm going to confirm that. But yes, I believe we are doing that. Just if I could, a lot of the groups that are using this fishbowl – and I've heard from Cheryl – the plan is to get those groups into smaller groups and have them step out of the room. I'm not actually sure how useful the remote is going to be.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's exactly what I was getting at. However, it's a little bit worse than that, because these are the rooms with translation, and translation has no meaning if we're going to go into fishbowls.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, the plan would be that they go out, they handle their parts of the issues that are being discussed, and then they come back and they will be large working sessions again.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just point out that all of the discussions of fishbowls – it obviates the error, removes the utility of the translation, and if we have multi languages within a group, there are potentially problems. Maybe you break up in language, instead of groups, or something.

---

But there are some problems that were not discussed on the session the other day. Since it didn't involved my group, I didn't raise the issue. I really worry about it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's call it interpretation, as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: Interpretation, sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I see Gisella has her hand up. Gisella, you have the floor. Then, it will be Julie Hammer after this. I will answer a question from Julie before she [leaves]. Gisella, you have the floor.

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier, thank you. Just with regards to the remote participation, I've also been asked for flip-charts for each of the rooms. I remember one of the meetings – I can't remember if it was Singapore – where Cheryl did a break, working group session, and when people get up to work at the flip-charts and are working in groups around the flip-charts, that means it's moving away from the desk, and no one will be able to hear what's happening on the phone line. So we've just got to take into consideration as well.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Gisella, for this. I have an increased feeling that the working group remote participation will be next to nil. Ultimately, one is going to have to be in the room to take part, except during the reporting moments, when people will be able to report at the mic.

If a working group of 57 people is going to be effective, it's going to have to break up into smaller groups. It's going to have to use flip-charts at the four corners of the room, and this sort of stuff. At that point, you're not dealing with mics anymore. You're not dealing with a public show that people can attend from out of Timbuktu or somewhere.

Just one note, with regards to Avri – there was a question on her being in two groups – that has not been updated. Avri is going to be in TG3 and she will not be in TG1. That page just needs updating.

Julie, was the gist of your question?

JULIE HAMMER: Yes, Olivier, it was.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry for [distancing]. I knew [inaudible] was coming. Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. An assumption – I assumed that for the large groups that break out into fish bowls, the reporters get that session off to have a

---

coffee, right? Since they can't divide themselves into four. To be fair each fishbowl –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I will refrain on commenting from this.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be fair to each fishbowl, we cannot give one fishbowl the official reporter. The reporter has to have the time off. It doesn't apply in Work Group Four, so I get nothing out of it. I just pointed that out.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much. So, Evan, just for this, please put your group into action and start shaking their –

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Shaking the tree.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Shaking the tree [inaudible]. Now, the second one, Globalization of ICANN, I understand from Cheryl Langdon-Orr that this is running along smoothly. Of course, with Cheryl as the session moderator, that would be moving forward quite swiftly. She has shaken people already quite enough. That's moving.

The third one, The Global Internet: The User Perspective, let me see if we have anyone from this committee on any of it. No, I don't see



---

anyone on that. Does anyone have an update on this? Has anyone seen any movement on this? I don't hear anyone.

So, we'll have to ask staff to try and find out from Jean-Jacques Subrenat and Fatima Cambronero if they've been doing things on Global Internet: The User Perspective. They really need to.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can also ask Wolf on that. I would hope that –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Wolf is on there, so I gather that Wolf has started [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would hope so.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Next, the ICANN Transparency and Accountability – that's with Avri, Hong, Holly, Chester, and Alan. Holly or Alan, would you like to share any movement that there's been in your group?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll let Holly lead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Holly, you have the floor first.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: I have done very little. I have managed to organize a multistakeholder panel first, because that's the only thing that my only name on it. I have had a word with Alan and will be looking at stuff I've kind of organized in my mind the background document.

I have a full day today, but once that's over, then my full attention is going to be trying to figure out how to fill up nine hours. I have had an initial talk with Alan, so it's not as if we haven't done anything, but we haven't done a lot. It'll happen. That's all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: This is one of the ones that I think we have to do a fair amount more in getting information out to the participants, because the meaning of this is not going to be clear to a lot of people. I know I have some shorthand notes of what I mean by "accountability and transparency," which I plan to append to the words of wisdom we got from Avri and Hong. There's a couple of things like that to get people thinking.

But I don't think there's a lot more we can do ahead of time other than do that and try to make sure – the statement that's out there right now, the "think piece," as it were, is quite short. Even when we add some stuff to it, it's not going to be all that long. The challenge is to get people to actually read it ahead of time. Other than that, I don't think there's a lot we can start doing.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan, for this. As you know, you'll have the mailing list to address your participants from tomorrow onwards.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. We just need to get off our somethings and do it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's absolutely right. I was a bit concerned because I received an e-mail today from Chester Soong, the assistant moderator, right after the discussion that took place on the mentoring call two hours ago.

The question was a very confused one, saying, "How does this all fit together, the thematic groups and the moderating? I'm supposed to be an assistant moderator, but at the same time, I'm a mentor. I'm not quite sure how this all fits together." So please, include everyone that is listed on the groups. That's Avri, Hong, Holly, Chester, and Alan.

It's all about communication. Start communicating with each other, and perhaps start building up your wiki page.

I'll give you a quick update on the At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN. I've forwarded a few suggestions to my colleague. There's also a reading that I've added as a link – resources, document store, reading list – that we will be asking our ALSes to start looking at, ahead of the session itself.

The reading list includes the ATLAS I Summit paper on At-Large Engagement in ICANN, because there was already – would you believe it? – during the Mexico City At-Large Summit, there was already the

---

topic of At-Large Engagement in ICANN. Has anything changed? Who knows? It'll be good to have a look at that.

A briefing note about the At-Large engagement in ICANN, drafted by staff in 2009. That was a document before the workshop in 2009. Has anything changed since?

There's the ATLAS I Declaration, the reason for it being to give an idea about the format of the document we are trying to jointly put together for ATLAS II. I've found a number of participants from all ALSes having e-mailed me an inquiry of last resort, I guess, asking, "What is this thing? What kind of document are we supposed to be putting together?" I gave them an idea with a link to that document.

The R3 Paper, I think you'll be happy to hear, the R3 Paper is also there. That also looked at At-Large Engagement in ICANN, and perhaps actually At-Large engagements in all of the ICANN processes.

There's a link to the ALAC Policy Development page, to show how the policy is currently taking place.

Also, the ATLAS II Capacity Building Webinar on policy development in ICANN, which took place a few weeks ago, had Marika Konings explain to us how GNSO policy development was taking place. Of course, that's to trigger the interest of our ALSes into taking part in GNSO working groups.

That's just the starting reading list, suggested reading list, for our ALSes. I suspect very little of this will be read, but at least if a couple of people can read some of these things on the aircraft [inaudible]. We've got a

---

small group of about 20 people, so hopefully, if we have a handful that will have read some of this, we can raise the bar of the discussions that will take place.

Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, that's an old hand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. Any other questions or comments on this? Everyone is clear on that? We really need to get things moving. I have great concerns that barely two weeks before the meeting, there's been very little discussion on the content – a lot of it on the organization, but none of it on the content itself.

I'm not quite sure how that was prior to Mexico City. I know that you had to be asked [inaudible] it only happened a few days before that things started to gel, but I'm a little anxious on this. I don't know if any of you want to share with them on that?

Excellent. Let's move on. Heidi, do we have anything else we need to share, with regards to ATLAS II?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a couple of things, coming back to thematic groups. I did see someone's been on in Thematic Group Three talking about putting up some documents and questions to her team. It looks like people are

---

looking at it, but nothing yet – definitive yet. Other than that, lots of social events.

The ATLAS II website is going to launch today. Ariel, maybe you can put the link to that in there. Staff are talking now, just logistics on how we're going to get everyone to various meetings, to the social events. We'll be doing that.

When people enter on Saturday morning, everyone will get brochures, a folder, by their RALO, with information – useful information, the layout, social event details, meeting events, agendas, etc., like normal.

Olivier, you'll be talking with Steve about those questions for the Board. I think we're on track.

I am a little concerned about the thematic groups, but I'm very much hoping we'll get the agendas, etc., today, and they'll start gelling. We are going to send out an e-mail to all the thematic group leadership groups today, informing them of which staff are going to support them on Saturday and Sunday, and to let us know about any documents they'd like to have posted on their workspace or printed for use.

Cheryl was supposed to send some information about the fishbowl technique, so we can remind her about that. We can send that to all the leadership groups. Besides that, I think everything is on track.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Heidi. We could also have the [inaudible] to the last technique, as well, which is to lock people in the room and [inaudible]letting them out, bearing in mind, some of the rooms for 25

---

people are meant for an absolute maximum of 25 people. If we left them for nine hours, we might [inaudible] hopefully. That was meant to be very sarcastic.

Now, let's move on then, beyond the ATLAS II. We have the next part of our agenda, that is looking at – one last thing that just came to my mind on ATAS II: just for your information, we've had a handful of participants that have had issues with visas. Staff is following up about that, and we've had Nigel Hickson – he's been very, very good at this – following up with the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, to try and work out and resolve the problems of visas. Hopefully, cross fingers, we'll be able to resolve all of those problems.

With regards to the speakers, as you know or you might not know, speakers for the At-Large Fayre of Opportunities, we will have two speakers. One is Wolfgang Kleinwaechter, a well-known [inaudible]. The other one is Nnenna Nwakanma, she is a lady who spoke at the NetMundial meeting and that absolutely swept everyone off their feet at the time. I really look forward to being able to hear and listen to her during our Fayre.

One thing we will need to do, once we've got the confirmation that [inaudible] is to put her on any of the posters. As you know, we moved the Fayre to a larger room, so we don't really have a space restriction. Because we are on a Tuesday night, it will be good to have a real full house. That would be absolutely awesome if we could. The only concern is we might not have enough drinks for everyone, so we'll ask people to bring their own drink.

---

All right, let's move on. Next is the status of the ALS decertification votes. We've actually spoken about this earlier, so I suggest skipping this part, since we're pretty much set on what to do next. I have confirmation from staff that they know what we're doing next?

HEIDI ULLRICH: In terms of the decertification?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I think we do. I have a little bit of a follow up question about the e-mails. In speaking with staff, the key e-mails were those to the RALOs to get more information, and those have now been added. So, Olivier, after this call, we'll just follow up with you on that one particular action item. Other than that –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I didn't hear a word. A police car just went by. You'll just follow up with me on something after?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. We just think the key e-mail to the RALOs have been sent, so we're going to follow up with you on that particular action item.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, the key e-mails to the RALOs have been what?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Have been sent. So again, those action items – the e-mails asking the RALOs to add that information about the ALSes to be decertified, that's been done. We take it that that was the key e-mail to be sent. We're going to follow up with you on that action item for Nathalie.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Never mind the action item. Just get the decertification process started, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's easy enough, then.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Let's move on. Composition of various cross-community working groups, Coordination Group in IANA Stewardship Transition, the Cross Community working group on IANA Stewardship Transition, and the ICANN Accountability Working Groups are three working groups you are going to hear about very, very soon.

On the ALAC call, I mentioned that there was going to be an announcement shortly about the Coordination Group in IANA Stewardship Transition. That announcement came out I think it was yesterday, or the day before yesterday. That was what was going to be initiate a steering group on the IANA Stewardship Transition.

---

There were many, many comments that were received by ICANN on their proposals, and [inaudible] results was the name of it was changed to Coordination Group.

I draw your attention to the composition of that Coordination Group. If you go onto the page itself, you will see a number of things. It's actually on that page, if you scroll down. There are also very nice fancy graphics they managed to make out of that – really nice. Beautiful. Very smooth. Now, that fancy graphic is basically providing details. Another fancy graphic – where is it? There we go. Coordination Group. If you look at it, you'll see – are you all on there, not sure?

Alan, you've put your hand up. Is that still up?

ALAN GREENBERG: I put my hand up for the last item, but you never called on me.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead. Sorry, I didn't see you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was just going to point out that I didn't understand what that conversation was about, since Ariel and I are supposed to be meeting after this meeting to finalize everything. I just wanted to register my confusion.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Keep on being confused. Hopefully it will clear up after the call when you speak to Ariel.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand. But what the tasks are that Heidi has to do that she agreed to, I don't know. Let's not talk about it now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, Alan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: She didn't agree to them.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Go for it, Alan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's be clear on this: Alan is to supply the text. The text has been supplied. We've got six ALSes that need to be deregistered. The vote can start on those six ALSes. The text has to be included in the votes in each one of the polls that come out. That's how I understand it.

There needs to be an announcement, of course, for each of these ALS decertifications, and it needs to be sent to, I believe, the ALAC Internal lists, since we are dealing with matters of [entity]. That's what it is.

Let's get back to this Coordination Group. If you have it on your screen, you'll note that the ALAC has got two people going to this coordination

---

group. It is for the ALAC to make the decision on whom they wish to send there. As you know, we had a call for members of a committee that will select those two people. We also had a call for interested parties to explain their SOI to staff, if they wish to serve on the Coordination Group.

If you look at the other SOs and ACs, you will note that the GAC has two, the RSSAC has two, the SSAC has two, IAB ( Internet Architecture Board) has two, the IETF has two, the NRO has two, the Internet Society has two, ICC/BASIS (the International Chamber of Commerce) has one, the ASO (the Address Supporting Organization) has one – of course, bearing in mind, the ASO is ASO plus the NRO, that makes three in total.

The gTLD Registries, for some reason, have two just for themselves. The GNSO, which includes GNSO seats from non-registry representation, so I believe that might be registrars and non-contracted parties, have three.

The ccNSO has four, and the reason for this is because the ccNSO itself will have two, then there are also some non-ccNSO ccTLD operators. There's ones that are unaffiliated with the ccNSO. They have one. Then there are the ones that are not connected to anyone at all – not even the ccNSO, nor ICANN, nor whatever else. They have one, as well. They will be selected by the ccNSO to serve on this. That's why they have four.

There is one liaison from the Board, and one liaison from IANA.

That's a very, very large coordination Group. I have no idea how this will run. I gather that some of you might be interested in serving on this. I will be, I think, chairing the selection committee for the ALAC – very few

---

people who admit that they're interested in being the selection committee on this. I will be leading that. That means, of course, that I will not be running for any position on this Coordination Group.

Now, aside from this, just to make you more confused, there is Cross-Community Working Group on this very subject, on the IANA Function Stewardship Transition. That is about to be launched by the GNSO and the ccNSO jointly.

The SO and AC chairs had a call on Monday to discuss. The question was whether the invitation for all the SOs and ACs should be jointly, by all the SOs and ACs chairs, or can it just be then to start with by the GNSO and ccNSO chairs together, to invite all of the ICANN SOs and ACs to take part.

The plan is that it will be the GNSO and the ccNSO have agreed to this. They were the ones that are starting this, so it's only fair that they would be able to make the call.

What they were going to do was to make the call for members of a chartering team to start with, for it to look at a basic charter – a box standard charter that was already used, or had been used as a basis for the Cross Community Working Group and Internet Governance – and for that charter to be amended and modified, according to the wishes of the people taking part in the chartering.

That chartering would take place from the moment of the announcement, which should be imminent, all the way up to the 26th of June, which is the end of the ICANN meeting, hoping that a charter for this Cross Community Working Group could be then presented to the

---

various SOs and ACs and voted on, ratified, so that we have a coordinated start of the group that ICANN is forming, the Coordination Group, which starts on the 2nd of July – it starts operation on the 2nd of July – and the start of that Cross Community Working Group, also on the 2nd of July.

Why are there two groups? Because one of is community led and the other one, not only including the community, but the other organizations outside of the community. There was a feeling in the community that there was a need for something that community led, as well, on that.

Are there any questions? I realize I pretty much have gone very quickly on this. I hope you all grasped the meaning of it. Any questions or comments?

Do we have any volunteers to jump into that chartering team? As we know, chartering these groups is particularly important, because sometimes you write some of the outcomes of that working group by drafting the charter to your own liking.

Am I still on the call, is the next question? Have I just hit you with such a wall of words? Okay, everyone is hiding away.

That's what's coming up. I hope that we can get at least our good charter drafters here. I admit that the opinion on the SO and AC Chairs call, that it was quite unlikely that the community, with all of what was going on at ICANN, was quite unlikely that we agreed we would have enough time to produce a charter that would be ready by the end of the

---

ICANN meeting. But, we can always try. Hopefully we might get something. Again, it seems to me very, very crunched indeed.

One of the flash points is how many people from each one of the SOs and ACs would be on that Cross Community Working Group. I argued for a totally balanced model, where every single SO and AC had the same number, up to the same maximum number of participants. That includes the GNSO.

As you know, the GNSO sometimes asks for six participants in order to be able to cover for most of their houses and most of their stakeholder groups. That means the ALAC would have up to six member spaces on this as well. We'll have to see how that goes. Certainly, on the Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance, that was an issue that resulted.

Thirdly, as if we didn't have enough big working groups to keep us busy, there is the ICANN Accountability Working Group. Much less is known about this so far. I had a call with Theresa Swinehart about this earlier this week, as well. She advised me that things were also progressing on a parallel track to the IANA Stewardship Transition, because somehow, the two things are linked together.

The US Department of Commerce letter certainly asks for the ICANN accountability process to advance by now. Of course, the Board has six months from the end of the ATRT-2 to start implementation of ATRT-2 recommendations. So, the report of the ATRT-2 has given the Board has up to the end of June to respond and to set a plan, as to what it wants

---

to do. I believe part of that plan will be to set up that working group. Any comments or questions on this?

A note from Holly: she says, “I think people need time to work through what each group will be doing and how they interrelate.” Very good point. Frankly, I have no idea yet how they will interrelate. Certainly, there’s no understanding on how the coordination bodies, the Coordination Group will interrelate with the Cross Community Working Group.

What happens if the findings or the steering of the coordination body, the inter ISTAR coordination body, whichever way you call it, what happens if those findings, no one agrees what the findings of the Cross Community Working Group? I don’t know.

It’s not going to be an easy thing. We have a very, very difficult 15 months ahead of us – probably less than 15 months, by now, since the target date is October 2015. The target date for results and for a plan is October 2015. It’s going to be very challenging, and it’s going to be very interesting as well. Comments or questions?

Okay. I hear no one shout out or put their hands up, so let’s move on to the next thing. I’m glad that you’re now briefed on this. I guess if anybody asks you questions, hopefully you’ll be able to answer them. But I hope that there will be some of you on all of these working groups.

I’m told that the IANA Stewardship Transition [one] will probably meet face-to-face sometime in July. That said, if you’re not ready to take some of your summer holiday off to go and have great fun in a meeting room somewhere with 29 other people – because that’s how large the



---

group is, so it's probably not going to take place in an ICANN office, it'll probably take place in a hall somewhere – then go for it.

Now, any other business? Magically, we are at one and a half hours – a full 90 minutes past the start of this call. I don't see anyone put their hand up. Heidi, have you got anything else to add? Heidi has stepped away, already. Anyone else? Anything to add?

I think I'm speaking to myself. I've been speaking to myself the past 20 minutes or so. But I know there is still life at the other end of the line, since occasionally people type a few grunts on the Adobe chat. That means there is still a pulse, somewhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, thanks very much for having lasted these 90 minutes. I'm not sure whether we'll have some more calls together. I'm sure we will e seeing each other very, very soon.

If we don't speak again until London, have a very safe flight. Safe travels, and beware of Terminal Two, as Evan Leibovitch repeatedly, on our chat, it's a new terminal. Who knows? Your luggage may go missing. But hopefully not – they seemed to have a done a good job on it.

See you all in London. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and good night.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**