

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's ATLAS II Organizing Committee Working Group call, on Thursday, 5<sup>th</sup> of June at 19:00 UTC. On today's call we have Pastor Peters, Wolf Ludwig, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Siranush Vardanyan, Eduardo Diaz, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Jordi Iparraguirre, Fatima Cambroner, Roberto Gaetano, Glenn McKnight and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

We have apologies noted from Natalia Enciso and Jean-Jacques Subrenat. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, Silvia Vivanco, Susie Johnson, Kathy Schnitt, Carlos Reyes, and myself Gisella Gruber. If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. I hope I haven't left anyone off the roll call. Over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Gisella. I welcome everyone to the meeting today. We can jump right to the Agenda. Does anyone have anything to add to it or amend? If not, let's jump to the first AI on Carlos Reyes. Carlos, you have AI #39 and #29.

CARLOS REYES: Thanks Eduardo. In terms of AI #29 – the ATLAS II participants page, I update this daily, and in fact two changes today. It's updated on an ongoing basis and always current.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. The thing we need to add to the page is only when we finish up assigning people to the different thematic groups, right?

CARLOS REYES: Correct, thematic groups and then that'll be added. Susie Johnson and I are working on a spreadsheet. Once all that info is confirmed we'll add it to this page in the format at the bottom.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Carlos. Any comments from the group? if not, we have Heidi now. You have three AIs, and I noticed on the last call – and by the way I want to thank Olivier for covering me on the last call – that there were a few AIs that were completed. Thank you. Heidi, can you help me with those three?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Eduardo. The first one is #40, and that is: "develop draft agendas for thematic groups, including abstracts and questions produced by the thematic group SMEs and other leaders." That is still in progress, and I expect that to be completed I would say early next week, at the very latest. The next one is #44, and that is: "verify with ICANN Legal if the Fayre of Opportunities background music can be used without a copyright license."

That is still in progress, but we are about to conclude that, hopefully today. We're in discussions with various staff and we're just trying to get the solution that's most practical.

EDUARDO DIAZ: For the rest of the group, this is something that came up on the last Fayre of Opportunities call, where Wolf brought to our attention the fact that when you use some music in public places, you need a license for that. Thank you Heidi. You have #45.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. #45 is: “balance the number of people attending the thematic groups session.” That’s not fully my job. That’s the work of the thematic group leaders. There’s going to be a call hopefully tomorrow where that will be done. Staff, with the help of Eduardo and Olivier, have made a fantastic spreadsheet, and it shows the allocation [zones 04:35] that completed the survey on, which thematic group they’d like to attend, and those who didn’t, which languages are their working languages, etcetera. We have a really good source to use, and we’ll go ahead and do that hopefully tomorrow.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Heidi. I think there’s going to be a meeting tomorrow. I don’t remember... Tomorrow, to talk about this point, I believe. Anyone who wants to attend that, please do so. Let’s jump to the next one. Glenn, can you give us an update on the Fayre of Opportunities? I don’t know how much you know from the last meeting to now. If you want to say a few words, please do so.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Just for the record, the copyright issue was brought up numerous times, right from the very beginning, and I've stressed again and again to use creative commons and open-source. There are a lot of local artists who are willing to provide their music, but people have ignored this and it's come up again. There's usually a fair-use agreement, but it's been brought up again so the Legal is looking at it from ICANN. Great. Maybe we can get a straight answer on that. On the music playlist we have over 65 songs that have been put up in MP3 format. We've plenty of songs for the playlist.

On the room itself, since we relocated from Monday to Tuesday, we have the Hilton London Metropole room, which has a capacity of 300 persons. We're doubling our capacity, which is great. There are a couple of outstanding issues. I've asked for the size of the tables, so that the RALOs can bring their own tablecloths for the draping of the tables. We just need to know the sizing of the tables still.

The other good news is I heard, confirmed on our PR call today, that we have Wolfgang Kleinwachter, who will be one of the speakers, and [Nena 07:06], who's from the Web Foundation. She's actually originally from [FAFSA 07:12], which was funded from [Invent] [eight] years ago. We have two great keynote speakers at the Fayre. Other than that, everything else is going well. We have another meeting tomorrow of our group at 2:00 PM, so feel free to join us.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Glenn. Do we have any comments on what Glenn just updated us on? Okay, let's move to the next one. Tijani, are you online?

---

He was traveling I believe. No. Okay. Heidi, can you give us any idea on rooms? Are they already set? Anything you can mention about the events, on that part?

HEIDI ULLRICH: “Coordinate the ATLAS II event,” is AI #22 of Tijani’s. He’s basically completed that. We now have the full agenda, and we now have the full agendas for Monday through Friday, and we’re just waiting for a few more on Saturday and Sunday. You can see that the full schedule has been posted. If someone from staff can put that into the chat, please? you’ll note that the thematic groups’ rooms are noted already. Those are actually just holding spots right now. Once we determine which are the largest thematic groups, by popularity, we’ll adjust those groups for the best rooms. I think that’s basically up-to-date.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Basically, I guess with that AI, it’s completed. There is an AI #43 on defining the SO and AC chairs’ function during the ATLAS II event.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I followed up with Tijani on that earlier this week, and I’ve not yet received a response. I know he’s traveling to some meetings right now. This is something that I’m not sure is only for Tijani. I think that maybe the large group can define this. We need to do this pretty quickly, because they need to be invited, and informed of their function, if any, during the opening plenary session.

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Olivier, do you have anything to say? You have the floor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Eduardo. I wasn't going to respond to this question specifically, but was going to add a couple of things with regard to rooms and room allocation. First, I don't think it's been mentioned here, but it's been confirmed that the Fayre will not take place in a small ALAC room. It will now actually be in a large room, and that's because the Fayre has moved to the Tuesday slot, rather than the Monday afternoon slot. This has ended up clashing with an ISOC event. As you know, many of the ALSes are actually ISO Chapters.

ISOC has managed to move their event over to Monday for us, in order to avoid the clash, and so everybody's happy, which is really great. That means that as a result, if you look at the schedule, it's probably one of the only events that's taking place, that are actually on the schedule, and having a large room means that we can probably publicize the Fayre a lot more than we have before, and therefore get a lot more people coming to the Fayre.

That's one thing. The other thing was a question to Heidi with regard to the schedules. Is the summary schedule of all the ATLAS II activities updated? A lot of people are asking for it. The day-by-day schedule goes very deep into what goes on, but the short schedule is one that's really more helpful.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Apologies for that. That was an AI. I'll get to that hopefully today.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm curious. What is the short schedule?

HEIDI ULLRICH: There's frequently an Excel document, which on one page, one sheet, lists the entire schedule. It doesn't list all the separate breakout sessions on Saturday and Sunday, etcetera, or the agendas, it just literally states the meeting, the time and a location. Since we now have the final schedule up, with 95% of all meetings having been assigned the correct rooms, etcetera, we can go ahead and update that with the correct information.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Cheryl? Before going to Cheryl, the question that was asked has to do with the definition of what... Somehow we need to define what the function of the SOs and ACs are, that are going to be invited to the ATLAS II event. That was something that we talked about two or three weeks ago about this. We're supposed to define that role. I'm not sure if it was defined or not, or are we just going to invite them just to sit there? Olivier, can you shed some light on this, or anyone for that matter?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I didn't understand your question, I'm sorry. What are you talking about?

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm really sorry. I'm talking about AI #43, where it says, "Define SO and AC chairs' functions during the event." Can you shed us light on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I wish I could give you an answer. Unfortunately I don't know. There's an SO and AC chairs' function when we meet with them on the early Tuesday and early Wednesday mornings, and the literature has been sent out, and I will follow up with the chairs of SOs and ACs that have not responded since. In fact, we might wish to note that there has been questions by stakeholder groups as to whether they would be involved as well in those early meetings.

There's also a location during the opening ceremony, on the Saturday, for the chairs of SOs and ACs to be present. It's a question that I've asked, because I've been asked by the chairs of SOs and ACs, "What are we going to be there for?" Bearing in mind they have busy schedules themselves, they'll probably not be able to be around for the whole length of the morning, but we do have to define what they're going to do.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. The question is, have we defined that? I don't think we've defined that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: How do we define that, or how we find that?



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, that we have not defined it at this moment. Who's going to define what their role is, or...?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think the Organizing Committee needs to define this. Oh, this is the meeting of the Organizing Committee! Hello! We need to define this.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, let's do that. What will be their role? That's good. Are they going to be invited, are they going to sit around...? I guess what we're talking about is the invitation to the Saturday meeting, mostly, right?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If I may, I've had a little bit of practice at this. You do need to let people know specifically, when they have such busy schedules, what their purpose is. They're usually more than willing to cooperate to the best of their abilities. Same to be said not only for the chairs of the SOs and ACs, but also the various constituencies, etcetera. By counting I think you've got three, if not four different types of opportunities. Some are more easily defined, such as the morning sessions, when a specific briefing is going to be given.

It's very much in line with the types of things that these people are already doing for Fellowship, in the past. That's kind of an easy one to sort out. I'm assuming you'll be extending invitations to all of these leaders and indeed the wider community, for the Fayre of Opportunities on the Tuesday. That's why I put my hand up when we were talking about the Fayre of Opportunities on the Tuesday. I think it's great.

---

Olivier, I'm sure, will pen a note of thanks to the powers of [unclear 17:08] ISOC to appreciate their flexibility on moving their event to Monday and freeing us all up.

That's something that is more likely to be more of networking thing. We need to make it clear it's a cameo opportunity. There's one standing activity that happens on Tuesday with the ccNSO world, and that is a cocktail party. They used to have a dinner. There's usually an offsite activity that involves the ccNSO. That means if we want a couple of notable Board Members, who are also likely to be going to the ccNSO event, you need to get to them early and say:

"If you could be present at the Fayre of Opportunities at this particular time, which will be when you'll be recognizing the various leaders in the room, and you're free to do what you will, but it'll be scheduled," that would be a very good thing for the Tuesday. On the opening ceremony question however, it's probably important for you to allocate a particular time where if they are available they've got 60 or 90 seconds to introduce themselves, their community, and welcome – for want of a better word – the ALS representatives that are there at ATLAS.

Welcome them to be a more engaged part of ICANN, and open the doors for engagement with their communities. That would be my suggestion, and now I'll put my hand down. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Any comments from the group about what Cheryl just said? I have a question in the meantime. Do we send emails to the SO chairs and AC chairs, and let them know, "We want to invite you to our

---

opening ceremony on Saturday to be recognized, and then we want to invite you to the Fayre of Opportunities and all the activities that we have”? I know we have activities with them for presentation of the work they do, right?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That’s different. That’s more formal, that’s in the morning, and that’s something they’re very familiar with. It’s the other interactions that probably need clarity. Such an invitation should go on our behalf via Olivier.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so why don’t we just go ahead and send that suggestion and do it our way? Who can do this? Do staff want to help with this, or if Olivier should send this together with the note, or staff send it? How does that work? I’m not sure.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier has a list that he has access to, which go to all the AC leaders, chairs and vice-chairs and, I believe, the leaders of the constituency and component parts and things like the gNSO. He’s got mechanisms that chairs can operate through. Sorry Olivier, I’m speaking on your behalf. That’s all right.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much. What people don’t know is that I’m actually typing a magic thing that will get translated into Australian on the channel. I’m

---

kidding! It's absolutely fine. I can send this, if I'm provided with the text of what we're proposing for the SO and AC chairs to be doing at the opening ceremony, that's fine. I understood that it's just the 90-second appearance to greet the ALS representatives that are there. That would obviously need to show a change in schedule at the beginning, which I'm sure this OC will be able to do as well.

The other question is, is this going to be restricted to SO and AC chairs, or also SG chairs? SG being the stakeholder groups of the gNSO. That's the first one. I think we're getting to some answer on... When you're finished with that question, I was going to ask you then with the early morning discussions, with the SO and AC chairs, so far we've only had a positive response from one SO and two AC chairs so far. Staff is going to follow up on that for the other SOs and other ACs that have not responded, and have an idea on who will come when; either on Tuesday or Wednesday morning.

The question I'd like to ask you is whether SG chairs should also be coming to speak to the ALAC and to the ATLAS II participants in the morning.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Any comments on that? my opinion, Olivier, is that if you understand the politics within ICANN, better than I and most of us do, if you think it's important that these chairs are recognized in this environment, then we should have them there too. That's my opinion.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's interesting, because some SG chairs would probably be quite happy, and very eager, to come and speak to the ATLAS II participants, and some might not. We're very likely to get a partial list of SG chairs, especially since they have very busy days early in the morning. I would say the early morning session is probably more likely to be good for the SG chairs, and the opening ceremony is probably a better [unclear 23:54] to the SO and AC chairs, just by the very fact of quantities, and the number of people involved.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. It's like you mentioned, [it's far 24:09] as some of them will go, but not all of them. Now, want to ask Heidi, on this [unclear 24:11] the time for doing this on Saturday? Heidi, seconds to say hello?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Yes. We can time it just like [unclear 24:25] on a little bit of Olivier's welcome, but yes, absolutely. Would that be immediately before Fadi's speech, or would that be after... We have Olivier, Fadi, Steve Crocker, Sebastian and Rinalia. Then we go to a Summit introduction by the ATLAS II Co-Chairs, so where would that be?

EDUARDO DIAZ: That could be the end or that could be at the beginning, recognizing the At-Large effort, but if we're doing... I really don't care if it's at the beginning or at the end. At the beginning, you usually just recognize the people that are there, but if you're going to recognize them and allow them to say something in the 90 seconds, then I don't know.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Is that 90 seconds each or 90 seconds all together? I'd also suggest we do it at the beginning, so they don't need to stay for the entire 90 minutes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks. I'm channeling [my work in the parties 25:28] now, saying what I was going to say. Definitely at the beginning. It's really up to Olivier where this is done, but I would I would encourage this to be at the beginning, and probably before Fadi, as that's the natural progression; sort of a more generically, "Here are a bunch of leaders who had the time and the inclination to represent their component parts of ICANN," so a hi, who they are and welcome, and then onto the slightly longer chat. That would be the way I would do it, and people therefore do not have to stay. Some of them may have heard Fadi's speech before.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Cheryl. Any more comments about this item? If not, I want to wrap it up. Olivier, you're going to send a note to the AC and SO chairs, inviting them to the open ceremony of the ATLAS II, with some kind of message, telling them what they're supposed to be doing there. These introductions are going to be done like Cheryl suggested, before Fadi, so it would be at the beginning. On the other meetings that we

---

have during the week, we're going to invite the NCSG chairs. I hope I'm mentioning that correctly.

Is this wrap-up basically what we talked about? Okay. I'm going to have that AI completed. Thank you so much Heidi for your update.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you so much for making the hard decisions, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is a collaboration work, so I'm just summarizing this. Wolf, you are next with AI #2, the coordination of the thematic sessions. Can you give us an update of what's happened since last week?

WOLF LUDWIG: Thanks Eduardo for the floor. There is not much to add. There was a circular mail sent by Olivier this afternoon again, summarizing what has happened, what's been organized, since our call last week. We had a first briefing call on Friday afternoon with only a few in attendance at the call, but we intently discussed the conceptual outlines. I suggested for this call and we agreed on most of them. I summarized the outcomes from the Friday call afterwards, and sent it to my thematic group, which is group number three, on Saturday.

I forwarded the same summary the day after to all the other thematic groups, to be aware of what had been discussed and agreed on the Friday call. Unfortunately, in the time between we didn't get much response on this, and therefore I discussed with Olivier and Olivier finally

---

suggested we make a last big push. We sent this alert reminder to the people involved, to get their thematic group coordination started among each other, for each group, and to make sure to be ready possibly prior to London. That's more or less what I have to say about this. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Wolf. I understand that tomorrow there's going to be another thematic group meeting, right?

WOLF LUDWIG: That's what I expect, yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, I'm sorry, I didn't hear that. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I just wanted to make it really clear to the OC that whilst it appeared that various thematic groups may not have been beavering away on things – and Olivier's alert came out with that assumption – it's not the case. We, thematic group two, have got our agenda planned to the minute, and we have done since the day after the last meeting. We will report tomorrow, at the next meeting, and we can bore you all with gory details, if we are needed to. I've also heard from other thematic groups, most of them recognizing that they were autonomous – and I understood it – and they simply started and got on with the job.



What we need, and will hopefully have after tomorrow, is the group that we have allocated to it. Certainly from what I can see, and certainly assure you all, from my thematic group at least, is that the SMEs have been engaged, they've talked to each other and to the moderators. We have specific questions outlined. We have plans and mechanisms that are in keeping with what we've agreed generally as the aims of moderation in the thematic groups in general. In the case of thematic group two, we have a very specific agenda in plan that we'll be following.

Indeed, we think each other group is probably doing very similar things. I understand the "sky falling" feeling when people aren't copying everybody in on everything they do, but some of us are just getting on with the job. Okay, rant over.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Cheryl for that update. I have a question for Cheryl. Is the thematic group two, that you just spoke about, is all this work being put in the Wikis? Sometimes we do a lot of emails and we don't see anything happening in the Wikis, and it's like nothing's happening. It gives the impression that things are not moving, whilst they are.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Let me respond to that. The agenda that thematic group two has been drawn from this static [boring 33:27] Wiki, which outlined the questions and what the SMEs are doing, so it dovetails in with it. Yes, we can certainly put the agenda in there, but I actually would not suggest that that's an ideal situation, because the agendas and mechanism that each

---

---

thematic group are putting together, depends so much on how many people they have, what the logistics are, and the particular ways that the SMEs and the moderators want to work together to meet the aim.

Sure, TG two can put theirs up, but we don't want that to be seen as a template. It's the way we're going to address our particular topic, and draw maximum interaction and input out. Now, if we advertise that in advance, could I suggest too that there would be far less pizzazz on the day. We have to enthuse people to be engaged for nine long hours on these topics, and if I have everything duplicated in Wikis, especially when they're multiple agendas, I'm not sure that's a very good thing at all. I would suggest, if one is fearful about our activities, one ask the leadership.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you for the answer. Any comments? That was just a suggestion, so...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Was that clear enough for you?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, yes, I understand. No problem. Wolf again, thank you for your update, and Cheryl also for commenting. Next we have Fatima Cambronero with the Mentor Program. Fatima, can you give us an update on that please?

---

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thanks Eduardo. Firstly, sorry for my silence last week. I was traveling with several meetings, but we were working. For my update of the Mentoring Program, we've published the list of the mentors and mentees in the Wiki. All the groups of mentor/mentees have received an email presenting their own groups. I am following each group, especially the communications from each mentor to their own group. Thank you Cheryl, Siranush, Olivier, Beran, for starting the ball rolling with your own groups.

Then we're working on the [unclear 36:27] to the mentors and mentees of the Mentor Program, and the agenda of our meeting on Saturday. We've finished that agenda. We have set up a doodle for a call for all the groups of mentors and mentees, to clarify any doubt. I think that will be next week. If you have any questions, ask them in the next conference call. That's all for now. Thank you Silvia Vivanco, Gisella, Susie and other staff for your support with me and the program, and to the people who are serving as mentors.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Fatima for your update. Are there any questions about the Mentoring Program from the OC? Thank you Fatima. We'll surely participate in that phone call. Next is Carlos, Natalia and [Marika 37:49]. I don't think any of them are online. Natalia usually participates in this call and she's not here today. I had a call yesterday on the website, and we explained for an hour and half talking about the website and many details, but the bottom line is we have a deadline for next Monday to have the website online.

---

That's what we're shooting for, and I hope it will be another communication tool we can use to promote ATLAS II. Like I said to the group, this is the first ever community-created website for At-Large. This is something that maybe after ATLAS II may have further life, but that's something that we have to talk about, going forward. Murray is not here. He had a call this morning. Olivier, I know you were there. Could you or Heidi give us an update on what was said in that call, that may be of importance to this group?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I was waiting for Olivier to respond. On the PR call this morning, Murray gave an update on the call he had with Jim Trengrove from meeting staff. For those who don't know, there's now an ATLAS II announcement on the main ICANN homepage. If someone from staff can put the link in, for that? It's quite prominent. There was a long discussion on social media activities, so we're moving ahead with that. There was also, earlier, a Social Media Working Group call, which continued on that. I'm really impressed with the work that's going to be made in social media.

There is also a call from the ICANN Communications Team, for a list of about four or five members of the ATLAS participants, who might be useful for some media profiled. Staff will be sending the list to the PR list today, just to get some names on that. There will be one last call next week. I think that's basically the update on that. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. I also want to mention in the chat that – sorry Dev, I forgot – there have been three newsletters already posted and sent, and the

---

fourth one is coming up next week. I think that's another great communications tool, to keep the momentum going, and everyone informed about the details of ATLAS II, so thank you also for your efforts. Olivier, can you give us some update on the sponsorship?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Eduardo. No additional changes from the three main sponsors that we've had – that sponsored lunch, the sponsored dinner, and the general sponsor for the At-Large Summit. That's pretty much all I can provide at the moment. No one's sponsored anything else.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. There's a note here by Cheryl: "Correction, Eduardo, those of us that are long-serving will remember well that the original website for At-Large, that was absolutely community-built and maintained. Please take care to [reconcile 41:54] that history. As we've said, those people are still around that did that website work back then." Well, maybe I didn't know that. I'm not sure what... I don't know what the At-Large says that we [have now 42:11]. Is it...?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No. Predated 2005 and it ran through until 2007-2008.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. That was before I was born.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's fine. I'm old enough to remember, and I act as your conscience as well as your historian. It's not a problem, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, well, thank you for letting us know. This is the second effort. What I wanted to stress was that it was a community-based effort.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Understood, but I also don't want people to come and bite you on the event. Some of them are around and some of them would get very [unclear 43:04] if they felt that the original work was being ignored or forgotten.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you for that correction. Cheryl, I believe you're the last one [online 43:22].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That makes me very happy to have the microphone back, thank you. Unlike many weeks when the ROI update is saying, "Come on guys, we don't get to the meat and potatoes of this until during and after," we have made a little bit of progress this week. It's yet to be seen how much progress we've made, but there's a very good chance – and I'm going to go back to Carlos in a moment – that the Meetings Technical Team have been able to come up with some helpful things, albeit not as polished as he, I and Gisella would like to see them.

---

They've assisted us in collecting data, in terms of attendance, so that we have proper analytics later. Carlos, how much more since we exchanged emails in the last 24 hours, do we know about what we might have? Could you share on behalf of us what the update is? Obviously you could type it into the 024 reconciliation of where we're up to. Over to you, Carlos.

CARLOS REYES:

Over the past 24-36 hours or so, I've been working with ICANN Meeting Technical Services Team, and they're willing to pilot an effort with ATLAS II for capturing attendance data. AT the moment it looks like they will add some kind of QR code to badges, and that we'll have some time of app on some sort of device, to scan badges as people come into sessions. This means, however, that we're going to have to identify volunteers – staff or community members – to scan badges as they walk in.

In the future, this Team is exploring an option of an automated attendance system, but for now this will be able to provide us some insight into the metrics for attendance at ATLAS II.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Carlos. Is this going to happen or...?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

It's going to happen. It's something they were aware would be useful in the future. Carlos has managed to get them to push it forward as a pilot. It's a little more cumbersome than it will be in future meetings. It's very

---

important that we have the benefit of collecting these metrics, without the burden of having staff literally taking attendance, because the numbers and diversity we're talking about would make it quite unreasonable.

To that end, I'd be very much wanting to have community members step forward, and perhaps some of our mentees can see themselves as strong contributors to some of these processes, by acting as the caretakers for this data collection. In the future though, as Carlos says, not unfortunately for ATLAS, it will be an automated system. They will take advantage of... We've got them to get it out of the box a bit earlier than they'd planned, but this loops well for a number of things in the future. As a member of the Metrics Working Group it gets me very excited indeed.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. I think you said it's a great idea, and eventually if they do it automatically... The other note that I can make is on using some of the participants of the community, or mentees to help with this. How is this going to be organized? Are we going to ask people to help right there, or are we going to contact some of them beforehand? How are we...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I would suggest that when we know the layout and the logistics exactly, what mechanical mechanisms are going to be... Is it somebody's smartphone, or has someone got an Apple or a tablet that captures the QR code? When we know a little bit more about exactly how it's going to work, we tap a few trusted people on the shoulders and tell them



---

they're volunteering. Some of that can be done before the meeting, and I'm suggesting that we have a [unclear 48:19] mentees, people who are reasonably experienced and who have shown themselves wishing to be more contributory.

They may be able to do this, because they'll be less star-struck. People who've done ICANN meetings before will be less star-struck by the whole gathering of ATLAS. They'd be the ones I'd be suggesting. We can call for volunteers, but what tends to happen with things like these ATLAS activities is you call for volunteers and people who don't actually understand what they're volunteering for will volunteer, and then they may not be able to maintain the time commitments, for example, that would be involved in this.

We don't want to have a volunteer who offers themselves, but then needs to be in three other meetings. That won't work. These people have to be on-site, in-situ, and available for everyone's QR codes to be tracked in and out of rooms.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, thank you. That sounds like a great idea. This ends the call. Does anyone want to add anything new or any comments? If not, I suggest that we have our last call next week, on Sunday. I guess we can send a Doodle around to find the best time to do that. My hope and my expectation is that most of these open AIs will be closed by then, or during the call. If not, whatever's still open we'll have to do via email or Skype, stuff like that. Whatever's open, that has to do with the event, has to finished or completed before we start on Saturday.

---

Thank you everyone for your collaboration, and I'll talk to you again next week. Thank you.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**